Speaker 1: Yo yo, yo yo, YoY.
Speaker 2: The dato.
Speaker 1: I raised off a FaceTime with Krista Miller, who called me solely to tell me how much she loved our Andy Ramage episode Yay. She said it was incredible and informative. I wonder if you guys have heard any good vibrations from it. But people really liked it, at least anecdotally. My friend liked it.
Speaker 3: It's been very positive out there, people really loving it. I would like to see if you guys take the challenge, let us know how it goes. I was a little inspired. I went out for my birthday and was like, you know what, I'm going to do some of these non alcoholic drinks and to see what that's not. And they were fine and delicious and I didn't miss drinking, So, you know, might pick up the challenge me do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, give it a try. I guarantee you. The only thing I can tell you is you might not be You might listen to that and go interesting. Not for me, But if you just do a month just for just as an experiment, I guarantee you you will feel good on day thirty.
Speaker 4: Nice, nice little recap of our last couple of episodes, right.
Speaker 1: There, Yes, and Vaginas. Vagina's was popular, right, Joell, Vagina's was.
Speaker 3: Very popular, as always, historically very.
Speaker 1: Popular, historically very popular. Did you get any good feedback about Vagina's.
Speaker 3: Joelle, only that it was hilarious, people spinning up drinks, having to pull over in their car.
Speaker 2: That's when the people were very really, very much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I was like I had to pull over so that I could see because I was laughing so hard.
Speaker 2: I love that these are your reviews, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Yes, please let us know what you like. Donald and I don't aren't on Twitter and we barely read Instagram anymore, so we need feedback. So give it to Joel and Dale who are on every social media and let them know. Right, Yeah, we're here for it. Donald, I've been building the land Rover Defender Lego structure you gave me. It's amazing. It's coming along for your birthday. Yes, for those of you don't know, it's eighteen plus. It's very hard. I forgot that Legos had age had eight restrictions.
Speaker 2: It's Lego, It's Lego.
Speaker 1: Don't get them started leg Lego. That Lego sets had eight restrictions.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I was trying to brag to my assistant that it was kind of hard, and he goes, well, it says in the box eighteen plus, and I'm like, eighteen plus. I mean, it's it's tricky, but I feel like a fifteen year old. Eighteen plus felt a little bit extreme, Like I think, I don't think there was any reason why fifteen year olds couldn't.
Speaker 2: But then you ran into your first roadblock, and you lie, I've.
Speaker 1: Run into so many roadblocks, and you know, it's funny. You know what's funny. I don't know if you do this with Lego singular, but you get to a certain point where you look and you realize you fuck something up. But it's such a fucking ordeal to take it apart and you just go fuck it. There's this Olivia Ririgo news song where she goes, fuck it, it's fine, And I keep thinking when I noticed a fuck up that I go fuck it. It's fine. Little things you wouldn't no one's gonna notice.
Speaker 2: Daniel. It's like, you have any news you want to.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, Dan, I'll tell the audience it has been a minute since I've seen you, guys, and since then I did get married.
Speaker 2: Wow, look at that.
Speaker 1: Did you consummate the marriage? Dane? Oh, my gentleman doesn't too. All right, all right, we'll we'll just infer. It was a Palm Springs hotel and it was very lovely. I'll say that. How many people are invited again? Twenty three? Well twenty one, since it was twenty three total people including Stephane. Do you find it odd that Donald and Joel and I were not invited?
Speaker 2: Me personally?
Speaker 1: No, me personally, no, he says, it was really lovely. I it was u Palm Springs traditionally very hot weather, and as the weekend approach, we noticed that the weather was dropping and we thought, great, it won't be boiling hot. And then the miracle that it was. It rained for the exact twenty minutes of our ceremony, which a lot of people kept saying. I hear, it's good luck. That's what they say. That's going to make you feel better. That makes you say that, bingo.
Speaker 2: So it rained, it.
Speaker 4: Rained during our wedding. Yeah, but we built tints, we were.
Speaker 1: They frantically built tents the day before in my backyard. Wow. Wow, Well, thankfully it was just a rain.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, sir, Next time put in for the tent.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and also next time, invite next time, invite Donald and us next, next marriage. All this, Yes, I heard some funny thing on. I read some funny thing online where some guy it was the woman's second marriage and the guy and like one of the brothers was like, here we are again or something like that. It was like it was like welcome back everyone or something like that, which, if you have the balls to do in someone's second marriage, is amazing. I highly recommend that that's good. Welcome back everyone. That's funny. You have the right person who's not going to be offended by it, though, truly all right. Well, in our continuing series on trying to make you laugh and entertain you without talking about the television show Scrubs, we have what is.
Speaker 2: Wait, hold up, what is that that you just said?
Speaker 1: That was a show that you're not allowed to talk about yet, But I can mention because I'm in the writers guild that was written and directed in the in the in the in the aughts. Is that what we call him in the it was Ants show.
Speaker 2: It was Ants show.
Speaker 1: A comedian that I really like and think is so funny and is very wise and not only is he hilarious, but he's also I think, a deep thinker and says wise things. His name is Pete Holmes, and we are lucky enough to have him on the show. Is he here, Daniel, he's here, and we already prepped him for audience. He's going to bring in hold, but.
Speaker 5: I'm not show. We made about a bunch of said he's the story natural. So YadA round here, yeada round.
Speaker 1: Here, ladies and gentlemen, go ahead, Donald, give.
Speaker 6: It up for Pete's your's your that's your thunderous.
Speaker 1: Applause, that's your oprah intro of Peen Holmes.
Speaker 7: I really appreciate I wasn't ready at all. Your team warned me many times that you guys talk a lot. That was number one, and that you're often late.
Speaker 1: And we we're only eight minutes in. You're such a fancy guest that we only went eight minutes of banter because we didn't want to leave A fancy stand up comedian, a beloved America's beloved stand up A fancy boy, a fancy boy.
Speaker 7: Well, I appreciate it, but you jumped right in the middle of backpack browsing, so I'm not quite ready.
Speaker 1: Why are you in the market for a backpack? Pete homes?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 7: Man, do you find that there's just seasons, there's just like you just like thinks something happens and you're just like your zest your zest is up? Does your zest ever shoot up?
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Like you want to go camping?
Speaker 8: You're yearning your zeal Zach Take any movie you've made and the character you play the opposite of how the protagonist, so that lopey sort of airstream trailer kind of.
Speaker 7: Like if they woke up and was like, I feel the opposite and I have zeal and zest and I'm gonna go to a Tony Robbins event and I'm gonna buy a backpack. That's how I feel today.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna tell you something. I went into Arii and Burbank, which if you've never been there is a magical place and it's really the man that I would like to be one day, but I am not. But have you been in there? Donald? It's incredible.
Speaker 2: I went out here in Tarzanna.
Speaker 1: All right, listen, I've never been in an RII so big, and I'm not a very campy kind of guy. I want to be. I want to be the guy that knows how to make a fire and cook on an open flame and camping in my kayak. But you walk into ari I, Petere.
Speaker 7: Holmes, why real quick? Why go on?
Speaker 2: I just got they got backpacks.
Speaker 1: You should look it's going online, Pete Holmes. You should go into the ri I in Burbank.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was just magical and huge, and it just there's just camping gear and itself big.
Speaker 7: You need the gear to survive the store. Okay, we're doing We're doing that. Donald is nice to meet you. We've never met.
Speaker 2: It's nice to meet you too.
Speaker 1: Never Pete. That's Joel, our producer and h and Daniel our engineer editor.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he has a robot voice.
Speaker 1: He will edit out anything you say that you think is horrible and stupid and should not have been said. You can just say cut that, Daniel.
Speaker 7: When I made fun of Zach's character choices in his films, would you actually copy that and paste it?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: I said it twice? Whatever. We adopted two things you taught me on our show, Pete Holmes, and one is a speed agree is that right?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 7: Speed degree? And scandal noted. I said it today. I said it today. I just did my own podcast and I was talking about how Louis addressed Luisy ky scandal, noted scandal. You have to say that just to sort of you know. I'm reading an interesting book called The Coddling of the American Mind. Have you heard of that?
Speaker 1: No, we're not well read here.
Speaker 7: You just jump right to it.
Speaker 1: Ask us if we watch Below Decks. Some of us do Below Deck?
Speaker 7: What is that about?
Speaker 1: That's a reality show, Pete, that follows the crew of a fancy yacht and their struggles having to wait on the very rich patrons whilst also going out and partying and getting ship faced and hooking up themselves.
Speaker 2: I don't watch the show.
Speaker 1: Donald doesn't watch it, but he watches Ah Soka.
Speaker 2: I'm not to talk about that.
Speaker 1: No, but see, Pete, this is something you need to know that.
Speaker 7: It's still in your background. Donald, you don't watch that show. You roll your own cigars and like practice archery. You look, that's a very fancy room, very.
Speaker 1: Much, audience, Donald, And is in his new home.
Speaker 2: Someone lived in it before and they had a very.
Speaker 7: Who was it Aragorn, son of Arathorne.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lord of the Ring, Pete.
Speaker 1: I want to start at the beginning, because that's a very good place to start whenever. We we've never had a fancy stand up comedian on our show. We've had funny people, but no one who's a stand up. And I wondered if you could tell the audience a little bit about that, because our audience isn't necessarily people aren't necessarily people in entertainment, so they might not know how the hell do they become a stand up. Now, Pete was in a show that was very very good called Crashing. If you haven't watched it, I'm allowed to tell you as a writer director that it was written and directed very well, but not as an actor. No, that's what we were trying to say. Donald is a SAG member not allowed to talk about any acting performances. But as a WGA and DGA member, I can tell you the Crashing was very very well done. Yeah, oh, thank you, and its it sort of told the story. But can you tell orian's a little bit how you got started and how you ended up being a stand up in your life.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a good question. I The answer would be, you know, I started in like two thousand and one ish around there, so I've been doing it twenty two years. My god, you just watched me stare into the middle distance and I start crying. Twenty two years.
Speaker 4: But you just said two thousand and one was twenty two years ago. Man, that feels like it was like five years ago. I mean, like nineteen eighty feels like twenty two years to me.
Speaker 7: Right, I'm so with you. But you know, at that time in two thousand and two thousand and one, if you wanted to get into comedy, there was improv, which I did, and then there was stand up. And that was around the time when I'm trying to think like Cosby Scandal, Noted Seinfeld, there were there were people that were getting TV shows. So like when you would look and you'd go, how did I'm trying to think of a stand up like Raymond?
Speaker 1: Everybody loves Raymond.
Speaker 7: Raymond is a good one, but also SNL people. I was one of those people that wanted to be on SNL when I was in high school. That was one of like a standout moment was I was in the car with my friend Oliver and Kirsta. I mean, that's how important this was, and I was making them laugh so hard and it was either Kirsa or Oliver, but they said you should be on SNL and I was like, oh, whoa, you know what I mean, Like these these things, our words are like so powerful, and that moment in high school when everybody's so awkward and pimply and strange, that that somebody took the time to like encourage me in that way. And I remember that validating my little night time. You know, I'd fall asleep pretending I was doing the Good Nights you know, behind me. Would you imagine you I did? And I still have that dream. I don't have that dream, you know, like in my life, it's not like on my goals to necessarily do that, but I still catch myself. I'll wake up and I'm a little embarrassed. I'm like I had the dream and the dream that I had when I was fifteen years old that I'm behind, you know, some some actor waving at the Good Nights. So you were like, even as a as a teenager, I was like, how do you do it? I was asking the question you're asking, and I was like, you'd find people like I'm trying to think Jay Moore, David Spade. There were people that got from stand up onto snl right, and then I started doing that, mimicking that doing, and we can get into that and that really what I got into first though, was improv because I read a book, the Second City Book that was like they broke it down like this. Chris Farley was the funniest guy in Madison, Wisconsin. He went down to Chicago. He did Second City. Second City gets scouted like an athletic, like a baseball scout. They go and they watch the show and they recruit people. And that was true and it is still kind of true how how it happened. So I was like, Okay, that's what I'll do. So I had been doing stand up in Boston probably like maybe ten times, not a ton, including some self produced shows I did at my college. The first time I did stand up, I did an hour stand up. I just didn't know any better. I didn't know, well, that's generous, dude. It was probably six minutes to stand up.
Speaker 4: I listened, said, I'm in dread to have to do stand up because I'm look. We had a fantasy football league and if you lost, you had to do five minutes at like the laugh. Actually one of the dudes really exec Yeah, he was an EP and he was like, I'll fucking figure it out and we'll make it happen. Do you know how hard I tried to win that fucking league just so I didn't have to do five minutes. Dude, you did a fucking hour your first time out.
Speaker 2: You are the bravest individual to play.
Speaker 7: I really appreciate that. And that's a very creative punishment because if you don't want to do it, stand up is like the worst thing I can imagine having to do. But because I wanted to do it and I stacked it with my friends, it's a nightmare now. I would never want to perform for my friends and my family. Strangers are so much better. But like I did it and it wasn't good is what I'm trying to stress. But you know, I, you know, I broke the seal and off we went. So I did it like maybe ten times. But then I read this book called Truth and Comedy and I was like, oh, improv is where it's at. Because it's collaborative. It's a lot like you know what we're doing now as actors, it's like you're on a set. It's social, You're you're engaging with a scene partner, and it just felt so much. I'm not putting it down, but it felt safer, to be honest, I.
Speaker 1: Would love that. By the way, neither have I done professionally ever, I think I would love to do improv when I go see it.
Speaker 4: You may train as an improv you've done improv before.
Speaker 1: Of course. Of course I do improv when I'm acting, and I make up jokes as we shoot. But I've never done a sketch comedy improv land And when I go see it, it's obviously hit or miss. Sometimes you'll see something that's the funniest fucking thing ever you can't believe it, and other times you're like, oh my god, this is so cringe, But that's kind of part of the role of the dice of the thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's fun. That could be fun too.
Speaker 1: Right, But I always feel like I would love that. I would love to do.
Speaker 7: Well because it's it's it's beautiful. And I really became like an evangelist for how pure improv is and how sort of dirty stand up was, because truth and comedy kind of makes that case that traveling uh that I'm sorry that comedians stand up comedians are a little bit like traveling salesmen. It's it's very it puts them down. It's like they take their wares and their sad little rental cars and they go to clubs and it's that egg.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: They don't say that, but they're kind of implying. Whereas improv is you know, you and five, six, seven, eight other people, you're listening to each other, you're building it, create together, you're co creating it, and then you throw it away. It's almost like Andy Warhol. It's like it would have belonged in the sixties, with like a spinning like hypnotic shape in the background and everyone's wearing white and smoking cigarettes. Like it's cool, it's experimental, it's alive. But I do want to say that it is safer. Again, that doesn't mean it's bad, but there was a My part of my draw to it was because I was scared to do stand up and that's not really a good reason to not do stand up. And I watched a lot of people doing improv where you know, and I'm not breaking any new ground here. People are pointed this out before. A lot of improv teams are big white guys with beards, and it's a beer drinking club, you know what I mean. It's like, I'm not. I still think it can be great at times, but I was always like, very like when I had an improv team, I wanted to perform all the time. I was like, what the fuck are we doing? And you perform like once a month if you're like mad Discipline, and if you're a house team at Io or something in Chicago, you go up once a week. And I'm like, this is fucking stupid, Like it's not, but it is. It's like, as a stand up you can go up three times a night, five times a night, six I believe the record is thirteen times a night.
Speaker 2: You can do them.
Speaker 7: I think Steve Byrne did that. He did thirteen sets in New York. And it's like, I don't do that. But when I was starting, I would do that. I would do a lot of reps. And it's like I think it was Chappelle or I think it was Chappelle that was like, look, if you have a guy in boise Ido Iowa that's doing like, you know, a set a month, and then you have some dude in Manhattan that's going up five times a week, who's going to get better? Like you can feel it in New York. You're like, yeah, I'm better than I was at seven o'clock today.
Speaker 1: But you got to put in those reps.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 7: You can't with improv. That was my problem. You are now scheduling ten people with jobs, with lives, a lot of them, with families, a lot of them that some of them were just kind of doing it because it's fucking great and it's fun and it's art in itself. But I've always had kind of like a not it's not grotesque, but I've had like, I want to do show business. I want to write shows, I want to write movies, I want to act. I want to do this, and I want to do it by getting really good at stand up and always do stand up first and foremost, but like and and for itself. But I was like, I gotta go, We gotta fucking go, guys, let's go. And it's hard to do that when you got to call three of three other guys and two of them are on Kyle.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after these fine words. I've had the experience when of knowing people, particularly I was my twenties, of people trying to start out doing stand up and there's this system in place right where you you need to recruit people to come to your show, who are your friends, your family, and they need to pay a cover and like buy a two drink minimum, and that's and that's how you kind of get up in the beginning. Is that's still the case. That's what it was back in like the early two thousands when I had people that were trying to do this.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like one of my roommates when I first moved out here, he was in the stand up and stuff like that. He would try and get on it. I forget what the what the spot was, but it was like because I smoked way too much weed back then.
Speaker 7: And still do nothing change.
Speaker 2: Nothing changed a second. It's the same ship.
Speaker 7: That looks like a great sweatshirt to smoke weedan is that your Mickey Mouse sweatshirt?
Speaker 2: No, it's not the Mickey Mouse.
Speaker 1: He knows about the Mickey Mouse.
Speaker 2: He's a listener.
Speaker 7: It's not. It's not okay.
Speaker 4: And I saw him bomb quite a bit, and I saw him, you know, I have a few nights where he did really well and I used to sit there and be like, dude, I don't know why you're putting yourself through this? And it was the same show every night, and he was like, if I can just get this right, if this comes out right, oh.
Speaker 2: My god, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: I have a lot of thoughts about that. First of all, stand up comedy is a never ending parade of humiliations and embarrassments.
Speaker 1: It does seem to be a really, really, really hard attract Some.
Speaker 7: People are like, oh, I tried it and then I stopped. Should I get back into it? And I'm like, if it didn't get its hook in you, why would you? Why would you run through a like a sea, like a navy seal obstacle course. When on the other side of it is some dude says you can do his show once a month unless you really want it, you know what I mean. So the other thing I feel very strongly about that I just think is really important and it's a through line and a lot of the people that I know that were successful in stand up. Leave your fucking friends out of it, leave your fo get the fuck out. I didn't invite my fucking friends to come watch me when I knew I don't invite my friends. Now, you know what I'm saying it's like, get why would I want you to watch me rearrange my chocolate paneled living room? You know what I mean. It's like, it's stupid. It's private, it's between me and the audience. It's not a social experiment. It's not something I want you. I want your support. I'm in this to be fucking Batman. And have you ever seen Batman on a gargoyle? He didn't bring his friend Caleb to watch him learn how to fight crime. Fucking beat it. This isn't about you. I hope you never see me fuck off. I'm doing this because it's a compulsion and it's a passion, and it's embarrassing. It's embarrassing. Like Zach came and saw me and it was a great show. I'm at a point in my career people can come and see me now. But for the first ten years, you know, I worked at Bennegan's in on the South Side of Chicago. A lot of people didn't even know I was a comedian. That's the right way to do it, just in the same way people don't know Bruce Wayne as Batman. Beat it. You have nothing to do with it.
Speaker 1: But how do you get up here's my question, how do you get up? Because to me, that racket that I sort of was exposed to was the you know by the way they're going up at like five thirty, you know the reason that they were getting up is because.
Speaker 7: They brought friends. Those are called bringers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell us tell you what. I've never audience. What a bringer is the audience? I can't much.
Speaker 7: I can't't, I can't, I can't. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: That's kind of the audience about the tracks. One of them is being is being a bringer? Go ahead.
Speaker 7: Well, I never did bringers, and I don't encourage people to do bringers. I think bringers are for the tourists. There are exceptions to this. There are great comics that did bringers, But a lot of people that do bringers are just trying to pay it. Meaning like if I get five friends to buy five tickets, so that's already fifty bucks. Now two drinks and that's probably twenty bucks each. I'm not here to do math, but you know, the club's making a lot of money giving you five minutes on a special show on a Monday night five thirty. Yeah, and you bring me. That's a racket for the clubs. It's like a pyramid scheme basically, and like it's also I would say it's impossible to do well. I've been doing it, Like I said twenty two twenty three years. If you put me up at a six o'clock Bringer, unless all I did was make fun of how horrible the show was, which isn't kind. There's no way to do well. You can't go up in that show and be like, you know the funny thing about sand like get at. Nobody wants to be there. They're hostages.
Speaker 1: It's horrible. I've been to bringers. I never knew there was a term. I've been to bringers that are so cringe and you're there trying to be supportive of your friend, but you still have to listen to twenty other people. We're at this Bringer.
Speaker 7: I'm telling you, it's like if aliens are watching us. They're watching Bringer shows going like, look at what they do, because it's a lot of to bringers.
Speaker 1: I never knew there was a term club.
Speaker 4: Okay, so look, and I didn't know they were it was called bringers either. First of all, so when I was growing up, my parents worked at it were a part of a theater company called the National Black Theater. It was in Harlem, and for two seasons, Uptown Comedy Club set shot its show at the theater. So I got to see a lot of very young comedians, African American comedians, Ma Coo, Dougie, Doug, Tracy Morgan, a lot of these cats perform and stuff like that. And so on nights when they weren't shooting stuff like that, there would be comedy night and they would set it up just like it was on television, and people would come on stage and those were the knights where that shit would be empty as fuck, you know what I mean, Like nobody.
Speaker 2: Would ever night.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was well, yeah that's what it would be, but you would you wouldn't know it, but fucking Dougie Doug would host it or freaking Flex would be on stage.
Speaker 2: This is back then, right, And I just remember, like the ones that did bring their friends in, you know what I mean, Yeah, they got the last they got that.
Speaker 7: That's what I mean. It's it's ridiculous. So to jump no bringers. I'm not saying nobody's done a bringer and done, okay, I'm just saying that was my policy. I was like, this is embarrassing. This is growing pains. Let's just do this as privately as possible. Otherwise you're going to exhaust your friend group. They're gonna stop coming.
Speaker 1: I was exhausted fast because I once you go to two or three bringers, You're like, how do I never do this?
Speaker 7: It's not a renewable resource. It's not a renewable resource. And even if it is, you you're exploiting your it's horrible. So what you want to do. And when I was in Chicago and when I was in New York is I would do open mics, which you're a different kind of death, but it's a different agreement. In New York, you had to pay, the comic had to pay. You had to buy two drinks or two items, so I got you know, this is a time when money's very tight. I buy two buy two cokes for two cokes. Yeah, but you also have to sign up, which means you might be going on thirtieth you know what I mean. There's nothing good about a question.
Speaker 2: You would have hit a bullshit? Wait, you hit a bullshit. I used to have to pay for fucking drinks.
Speaker 4: I'm a little kid, and I'm paying for sodas and ship at this fucking comedy club and if I couldn't pay, they would kick me the fuck.
Speaker 2: Kick.
Speaker 1: I need to buy two cokes.
Speaker 2: This is my parents theater and shit.
Speaker 1: But the funny thing is they put them right in front of you, because you're like, all right, have you have this agreement where you have to buy two drinks? Right, so even if you're not drinking alcohol, you're drinking diet coke, Like, they just put two die cokes in front of you.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, no, that that is how you could spot a comic at one of these things, because you had two glasses of coke in front of you that no one wanted. And it was also at a time when, like you know, that's probably in New York in two thousand and four. I mean two cokes was probably still about eight bucks, and you're just sort of like, I don't I don't have eight but like this sucks.
Speaker 1: So I have a question for you. When I walk down McDougall, For those who don't know McDougall, what is it street, boulevard? What is it? I think it's street in Manhattan. Is not only the place where I think you would say the top comedy club in Manhattan is the comedy seller, yep, but also there's a few other clubs. And when you walk down that street, and by the way, a lot of Pete's show crashing takes place on that street. And I remember, I remember seeing you guys shooting there. There's guys and gals pamphleting. Yeah, now are they also comics trying to get up?
Speaker 7: Is that another?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 7: And that is what I did? So I love this is such a generous line of questioning. I just really appreciate your Well.
Speaker 1: We want to educate our audience on the life of a stand up comedian.
Speaker 7: Well, I appreciate anyone listening.
Speaker 1: It's very We've done vaginas, and we've done penises, We've done we've done alcohol. Now we've done horses. We did horses comedians.
Speaker 7: Well, okay, what what? Oh? So that's called barking. And so what I did when I was in New York. And when I got to New York, i'd been doing stand up for three years, but I felt like I was starting over. And I think we could talk about that for a while, but that was important. I didn't walk in going like I'm from Chicago and you will respect me. You just assume you're starting over, and that was that was a good attitude. I don't remember who explained that to me. Probably somebody told me that, and I just I went in headlow, you know. And then I did the open mics. But like I said, you're looking at eight bucks a throw plus subway all that stuff, and they sucked. They sucked. They were I'm not saying I sucked. I did suck. Like I wasn't that bad three years in. I wasn't that bad. But these shows, performing for other comedians looking at their notes, waiting for their turn to go on again, it's it's an unwinnable situation. The only times I remember killing it open mics was I had an opener where I'd go, look at what we're doing and everyone would laugh because that was the only angle know your audience. It's like, look what is this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's funny. That's a funny route. It's like, you know, the audience's other comics like make fun of the process. You can't.
Speaker 7: But I'm not even trying. There's no mark. Again. I don't want to sound like a like a capitalist, like swine or anything, but I wasn't getting in it to learn how to kill it in an open mic, like it was fun to do every once in a while, but I was like, I want to run bits, I want to work out material, and it wasn't happening.
Speaker 2: That's what I was asking you.
Speaker 4: Were you at the level where you were able to run your bits and work out your material and try and get your set complete you.
Speaker 7: Could do bits at an open mic, But like if someone kind of was like, huh, like that was a standing ovation, you know, and really, and this is again we could talk about the theory of getting through open mics. The mantra at that point is don't quit. It's like, it's like it's gonna suck. There's a line in Crashing where Marina Franklin says to me, she says, if it sucks, that's how you know you're doing it right. And that is absolutely true of the beginning of stand up. And you have to frame it and renarrativize it as something romantic, as a lineage, as a rite of passage, because it's not gonna in itself reward you. But when I would see like Dmitri Martin was like I barked at the Boston Comedy Club, I was like I'm gonna bark at the Boston Comic Club. Like that's what I'm gonna do. Jim Gaffigan was like, go to the Boston Comedy Club and ask them how, and what they were saying, essentially was there's a dumpster fire over there that you can at least find a couple tunicns and discarded paper boxes that you can lay on. It's gonna suck. Jim Gavigan said to me, this is twenty years ago. He goes, you're gonna think I'm insane, but you need to go to a place that will like fold you into it and let you let you in. And the places that are gonna let essentially just a wandering you know, new comedian in aren't gonna be great places. So the place that I got in was the Boston It's not there anymore. We rebuilt it for Crashing, which was a real trip, but was on West third and basically West third McDougall, so it was like a block and a half from where I wanted to be, and my corner was McDougall and third. So I was standing watching my heroes. And when I say heroes, I don't mean names, you know, I just mean, any dude that was working the cellar was my.
Speaker 1: But that's good to say, But we should also tell the audience. He doesn't know that the top comedians stand ups in the world, if they're gonna make a surprise and shore somewhere, they go to the cellar so you'll see. You know, you can be in there and all of a sudden, you know Chappelle's going on or Seinfeld's going on. They just show up and surprise the audience.
Speaker 7: And that's the trip, is that that Chappelle would also come to this Boston because the Boston would let him do three hours because it sucks and you want to hear something crazy. This is when Chappelle's show is on. So I'm barking. So I literally just went to the Boston Comedy Club. I met the manager. His name was Dustin. Somebody had told me go to the Boston asked for Dustin. I met Dustin, who's a great guy, and I said, like, I just told him what I've been telling you. I'm from Chicago, I've been doing three years. I'm just looking for a home club. And the moments in my life that hinged on some human kindness are insane. And we could spend the rest of the podcast talking about those kindness hinge moments, and this was one of them, because he could have just said get the fuck out of here. He said what he said wasn't the best news. But he was like, if you stand on that corner for four hours, I'll give you four minutes, you know what I mean. A lot of people would be like that sounds like abuse, but I was like, I got my headphones, I'm going to stand out there. They didn't track it. Some clubs track it like you write your name on it and they count how many people come in with a flyer with your name on it. They weren't doing that. You just had to do it, which felt a little old Testament in a good way, in the way it's like you want to marry my daughter, work in the fields for seven years, like it felt from it does feel and it feels like fight club. You want to come in for Project Mayhem, stand on the porch for three days. So I was like, Okay, we come from a species that values people proving that they really want something. Sleep on the on the steps of the temple before you come in on karate. That's what it felt like. So I was like okay, and I that was like I felt like that was my first break was that Dustin was like I'll let you bark and I went out. I was pretty good at it, meaning I just kind of, you know, I've cut corners in my life when I was a waiter, I would cut corner. I was kind of lazy and stuff. But with this, I was like dead serious. So I was like handout flyers, going for it.
Speaker 1: What was your line that would get people to Trey live comedy?
Speaker 7: I just said great live com you guys, you guys. Look, that's all I said. Great because there's so many people, it's got to be quick, great live comedy, and that great live comedy.
Speaker 1: Here's there's also a lot of people. When you walk down Mcdogal, there's a lot of people doing this to get you to the different clubs. Yeah, it's kind of like the red Light District in Amsterdam. It's very Instead of it prostitutes, it's guys like Pete.
Speaker 4: It's the it's the fucking well, I don't want to say that, now say it.
Speaker 7: It's the It's yes, yeah, it is, you know what it is. It's like the gym too, Like it's just like this. I like the kung Fu thing. It's like, go sleep in the rain, go sleep on it in a ditch and prove it. And I actually I'm one of those old people now that I'm like, this is good. You shouldn't get famous on TikTok right away and not be very good. I'm not thinking about anybody in particular and just get catapulted into fame. You should lower yourself. It's fucking Indiana Jones. Only the pendent man will pass, and you got to get on your knees and fucking get fucking humiliated. What is the root of humiliated is humble. It's also the same root as human. It's also the same root as soil. It's like, get low. And that's what Bill Burr told me. I was very lucky that the first people that I opened.
Speaker 4: Forgot some really fucking, really cool dudes advice right away.
Speaker 7: Jim Gaffigan and Bill Burke used to come through Chicago, and my friend Dan Kaufman hooked me up and got me opening for them. We didn't those weren't like huge names at the point. They were to me, but not to the world. And and Bill Burr said he was the one that said go to the Boston Comedy Club, and he said, keep your head down, don't be a dick. You'll get in. Though I still have that email, I've looked at it, not recently, but I have checked that I got that wording right, and that's what it was. So keep your head down and like cand of keep your mouth shut. You know, people are gonna make fun of you, people are gonna tease you, but like, just let the craft speak for itself. Just get better. And the tip that I think you were steering me towards that was that, like I have a stack of flyers and you'd have to like take a flyer out, snap and put it in front of somebody. Yeah, and if they don't take it, which most people don't, put it back in the stack, so you snap it again. You don't just leave it out there like you need the movement and some sort of razzle.
Speaker 1: They're also very tall. What are you six?
Speaker 7: What six six? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So six six helps? You're gonna get people are gonna look at you.
Speaker 7: Yeah. And you know what else helped is is like I'm an effusive person, I'm a communicator. This doesn't always work, meaning I would tell Dustin how much it meant to me, like even after a night, sometimes the show was canceled. Often the show was canceled. You bark for four hours, you come back, no one's there. You just go home.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. But I was so humiliating and humbling.
Speaker 7: But if you keep doing it, you know what I mean by old testament. It's like, you must really love my wife or my daughter, you can marry her.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna stick with the Miagi analogy. You fucking learned to wax on wax off.
Speaker 7: Yeah, But like I also was very clear, I'm not a tourist, meaning I'm not just doing this to have fun. This was I didn't lose in my fantasy football thing, like I want I want this, I want to do this and thank you for the opportunity. Now, that sweetness didn't always work. I remember there was a club in Boston that I was trying to get up and I would He told me, he was like, we'll get you up another time this month. And I used to call, just every day, just calling, and the dude, fine, I'd get the machine. I'd leave him like the seventh message, This coked up club owner picks up the phone. He's like this isn't how it fucking works. I call you like, he like chewed me out. So I couldn't just be like the borderline Mormon sweet level, you know what I mean. Like I was so doe eyed and kind, I'd like to think, but gentle and happy to be here, almost like Jack McBrayer or Buddy the Elf, you know what I mean. And that did it. Yeah, it did work with Dustin in the sense that he knew I meant it, and he's a true comic and he respected the part of me that wanted to be a true comic. And then the trip was I was gonna say, when Chappelle would drop by, we'd go out on the street. Again. It might be ten o'clock at night, the Terrible Show is already going. There's like seven people in the house. I'm waiting to go on and the and they go Chappelle's here. He's It's so fucking what is there anyone cooler? He's walking in. I can remember it, and you know, he's smoking, and Dustin would say, go back out, and we would go back out. Of course, would go back out. Then all we had to say was Dave Chappelle's in here, and the place would be full in like fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Wow, but here's the word back out. I could picture all the comedians who thought they were going to go on, yeah, are now running out with their flyers. It became Chappelle, Chappelle, chappelle. But it probably means you're not going to go on.
Speaker 7: No, it was a mixed bag. At first, it was awesome, and I'd say this to Dave, it's not shit talk. At first it was awesome, and then after a while that just meant, here's what's going to happen. One hundred and fifty people are going to pack out the club. He's going to go on. He's going to go on for two hours maybe. And by that I mean he's not and he you know, he can do whatever he wants, but he's not necessarily doing material. He's fucking around, which is his right. I say, you see the hierarchy. There is like a respect pyramid of stand up, and we take that seriously. So that was fine. I would watch it, and I learned a lot about what it's like to develop material really raw, just literally asking somebody like what's your favorite breakfast cereal and riffing on cinnamon toa's crunch for five minutes. But it wasn't he wasn't doing you know, he's feeling prepared.
Speaker 1: No, I've seen this, by the way. I've seen this. No, I've literally seen this carry out. I've been in the cellar when oh my god, she Pell's here. She might everyone gets excited. Yeah, and then he starts smoking and there isn't even what seems like the seed of an idea. It's just it's just him smoking, and he just like starts shooting the ship with an audience member. And because he's who he is, he's earned the right yeah to do that. And then if you're in the audience, you're like, when's he gonna start telling a joke?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah. And there's a certain kind of writing you can only do on the high wire, like you want to be in front of the crowd, Like I write and then I go on stage and it just juices it up. You just like being in front of an audience. You like the thrill of the laugh and all that stuff. So I get it. He's going up and and and he's an EmPATH, but he's absorbing that energy and it's inspiring him. But he's also like a cool ass dude, that's very calm, So he doesn't mind just sitting there and smoking if that's what happens for a couple of minutes. So then the best case scenario would be he doesn't do too long. He says thank you, and then I he didn't talk about and no one yeah, right, hey, Hi, get off, and then the barkers, as we were known, because no one is left and no one wants to go next. So now everyone wanted to go next. Now Chappelle went up, no one wants to go next. So the number of times that I went on stage, and my opener, if you want to call it, that was please don't leave, Please don't leave. David Chapelle was great. I know, please don't leave, and everyone would leave. But guys, I'm forty four, and as I tell this story, I have a huge smile on my face. It was essential. It was essential. It was like, that's why I told you. When people say I did stand up once or twice, I took a ten year break, Should I do it again, I'm like, no, you either know this is your shit even when you suck, but you still have those dreams literally in my case, literally dreaming about it. Dreaming about hanging out with Zach and Donald on a podcast. Fucking dream come to you know, my first specscript with Scrubs. By the way, this shit, this shit was fucking in me, you know what I mean, So like you gotta take the win, and the wind was this sucks and I'm not quitting. I know that sounds like a little like a refrigerator magnet, but I was like, I'm proud that I went into Manhattan, a place that used to it's At that time, it was scary to me. Unsettling. People are mean, Comics are mean. People would say right to your face, I don't like you, like fucking weird shit. And I stood there holding my empty porridge bowl and just like smiled like the fucking Buddha and just waited my turn. And then me and the Barkers would talk shit. Of course we hated everybody.
Speaker 2: Is that a young man's game, that's a good question.
Speaker 7: I mean, I was twenty five, but Dmitri Martin was in law school. He was in his second year of law school and he quit. That's fucking courage and certainty and skill. Like he recognized his skill, so he didn't start until he was already out of college and two years into law school. But Tim Allen is always the example. I like, sometimes people go, is it too late for me to start? And whatever age they are, I go, Tim Allen was in jail when he was your you know what I mean, like meaning it if it's in you, you know what I mean, like there can be a later break. It's just in fact, the older you get, you know, I think, the funnier you get, and you can, especially these days, you can cram conversation like this, cram content. I was just talking to somebody on my pod today. I was like, I used to go to the library and get like prior VHS's and stuff, and like, you know, you'd have to take this in Boston, take the subway into Tower Records just to look to see if they had a comedy section. They didn't. You just go home. Like but now, if somebody was starting in their thirties or even their forties, I wouldn't roll my eyes at that, you know, And Roseanne, there are a lot of people, I think, especially now, I wouldn't think this do paying shit though I don't know. It's an ego question. Some people have egos that they can detach from them, so I was a little bit more easily and because I was young and didn't have as much of an ego like dude I was. I was on an airplane. I had a first class ticket on a flight. They moved me to another flight. My seat wasn't first class, and I got on the plane. I was not rude about it, but there were empty seats in first class and I'm like, can I have one of these? And they were like no, and I was like, and I was so shocked that they said no. I didn't do anything rude, but I was like, dude, I couldn't do it now, you know what I mean. Like, I wouldn't go and be like I just barked for four hours and they're like, show is canceled. I'd be like, well, I'm not coming tomorrow. This isn't working. But to that, I knew dudes that came to New York and weren't willing to eat shit and they are not doing comedy anymore. And that's okay. I don't say that and spit out their name from my mouth or anything. I'm just saying there were two people that in the scenes that I came up with that didn't make it. One was people that weren't willing to eat shit, eat a shit sandwich. And that's within reason. I'm not talking about taking abuse from club owners or other comics. I'm saying, within reason, the parameters that we've kind of been discussing, the other dudes that didn't make it and women that didn't make it, were the shit talkers, Like if all you did was complain about what other people were getting and how fast they were getting. Because here I am handing out flyers as these I'm sorry shows up on the scene. Dude is instant, from my perspective, instantly in Rolling Stone, on the hot List, you know what I mean, or something like that, and you're like, dude's twenty years old. If you let that jealousy permeate you and get in your bones, I call it comedy cancer. You're done. You're fucking done. You keep your head down, Bill Burr, keep your head do beit deck like you can't look at your neighbor's paper. And that's why you don't invite your friends. I don't give a fuck what my friends think. I know I suck. It's my time to suck. Let me do it privately, let me do it alone.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after these fine words. Let me ask you this. They used to be the old prayer was that you would get a sitcom, right, So nowadays.
Speaker 2: Isn't that still to say.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a show. I'm sure, but.
Speaker 4: No guys getting in the stand up really just to make everybody laugh for the rest of their life. They want to fucking turn that shit into fucking.
Speaker 7: Of course, of course some do, some do really, there are there are purists. Yeah, for sure, there's a great story. Hannibal Burris. I don't think it'd mind me telling you this, but like he used to go into meetings with networks and he'd just be like, I just want to get good at stand up. Like he'd be completely honest with them. They're like, yeah, but do you have any pitches? And he's like, I want to get good at stand up Because he knew the order, he was like, you're not gonna We're not going to do this. Now. I'm glad we know each other. I'm extrapolating. I just remember Hannibal was one of those dudes that was like, I just want to be one of the greats, you know.
Speaker 1: So, but yeah, my question is how do you now make a living at it? Because I know you've had you have a successful tour. You have an upcoming Netflix show which we should plug.
Speaker 7: What's it called show ten twenty four. It'll be out ten twenty four. It's called I Am Not for everyonty.
Speaker 1: I am for everyone. Yeah, I am not for everyone on Netflix. I've seen this show, by the way, with Bill Lawrence. Bill and I went to one of the last times you were sort of doing it for an audience at Largo in Los Angeles before you went to shoot it. I believe right, And I'm not just saying this because he's here. Bill and I belly laughed for an hour and a half. How long did you did it end up being ninety minutes?
Speaker 7: No, I cut some stuff.
Speaker 1: It's funny. That night I was like that night, I was like, I said to you, oh, I'm sure you're going to cut it down to an hour, right, And you were like, no, No, I think I'm going to leave it long. But even the ninety minutes, we bally laughed the whole time. It was so fucking funny. I promise you, audience, if you're listening and you're a fan of Donald and I you will laugh at Pete's special. It's so smart and funny. And I like comedy that does not only make me laugh but makes me think, and your hour certainly does that. Oh thanks man, But I wanted to say My question is how I've gone to the Cellar and seen so many brilliant comedians. That's where you go when you want to see the best in town, and I don't. They aren't necessarily household names. They aren't necessarily people you'd recognize. How do these people make a living? Do they do they tour? They's? Do they tour at different levels? Are they hoping for a special? What is the twenty twenty three way that a stand up comedian makes a living?
Speaker 7: Again a generous question. We we cover this a little bit on Crashing, but the answer is more than what we showed on the show. There's different markets, right, so there there are still to this day people in New York. What I was smiling during your question that there are people that I want to go like, what what are how are you doing? Like I do like I don't know, I want to go, Like what is what's your strategy?
Speaker 1: Like where do you live? How do you ben in Manhattan?
Speaker 7: Well? You can take it up from the bottom right. There are some dudes that do so many sets in the city. That's what they that's what they do. Like that, and I'm sure they tore some but like you know, if you do, because the Fat Black Pussycat is right around the corner from the cellar, you can go back and forth between those two clubs. I've done it and go up eight times at the night and.
Speaker 1: That's in your show. By the way, I just want to say a funny little connection here. Jessica Curson, who we should have on Donald is my stepsister and she is a very accomplished, that hilarious stand up comedian.
Speaker 2: She did it a unique way.
Speaker 4: Also, where she got she was already out there, but she got on through a reality television show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was her. That was her introduction, started her up.
Speaker 1: She was on one of those what was it the comedian competition she was. Yeah. But also what I just wanted to say that one of the great things about Peete show Crashing is he had all the real people playing themselves. All the go to not all, but a lot of the go to stand ups in this circuit are in the show, including my stepsister Jessica Curson was in a very funny episode where Pete and she are running back and forth between these two clubs. So I just had to digress and tell that.
Speaker 2: And then we go.
Speaker 7: She does another one where we go to North Carolina. She was in the only episode where we flew somewhere to shoot it, and she's just she's sweet as pie. I love her to death. I'm not just saying that.
Speaker 1: Like I have like a special She's someone you don't want to follow because she every time I see her. That's why I'm the most often that I'm in the Cellar is because Jessica's going up and I'm going to see her and I'm gonna see some other comics. Yeah, And every comic will tell me and they're not just saying this because she's my stepsister, Like you can't follow her because she's so funny and she's so outrageous. Donald. Have you ever seen her do her thing?
Speaker 2: Yes, I have so funny.
Speaker 7: She told me once she didn't like a crowd at the Cellar and she did the rest of her set with her back her back to them, which I was like.
Speaker 1: She does this sort of inner monologue thing where she'll she'll be performing and if and if something bombs, she goes upstage to the wall and turns around into the mic. She does like an inner monologue, like, don't listen to them, You're doing just great. This is very hard. You know, I'm not selling it well.
Speaker 7: But yes, great, Yeah, she's letting them into every element of the experience. So anyway, the answer is there's city spots and then the first break. For a lot of people in Mike, I'll just speak for myself. My first sort of foray into touring was colleges, and especially when you're in your twenties, colleges are incredible and there's things called NAKA. Musicians do it as well. It's a National Association of College Acts or something like that. You go to a NAKA. It's in a hotel. We did an episode about on crashing and people are curious. I'm very proud of the NAKA episode. I got a college agent. I'm forgiving out. I can't exactly remember how, but somebody probably a VHS tape that I sent and then they submit that VHS tape into naka's on your behalf. You have to pay it's like three hundred bucks just to submit again at a time when you don't have three hundred bucks, and then if you get in, it's a really big deal. I often didn't get in. I eventually finally got one. I went and you perform at like eleven in the morning. And who's there as all the people from our colleges that ran the Student Activities Council. So everybody's shirt says sack or CAB. They're all called soccer Cab, soccer Cab, Student Activities Council or CONCL.
Speaker 1: So they're the students.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're students.
Speaker 1: So they're students who have been tasked with booking the acts for this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but let's be real. These aren't the hippus students. These are are kids that wanted to run the yearbook.
Speaker 1: Basically they have a lot of power. Though they do have a.
Speaker 7: Lot of power, and that's what's so funny about it is you're kissing your my future, my rent, and my livelihood is now tied to my ability to not only perform well but also hobnob and the lobby of a highest regency with some eight nineteen year old girl who still has braces, and she's deciding whether or not they want to spend the eleven hundred dollars to have me come into the Upper Peninsula, Michigan and do a show at noon. You know what I mean. So it's a very I'm telling you, it's a never ending parade of humiliations. Guys, it's never ending. It doesn't end. I'm still doing it.
Speaker 1: So you do the set and then you have to go in the lobby and be like, so, Michelle, no, it's worse.
Speaker 7: You stand at a booth you after your set, pet Homestan, it's your My agency was called Auburn Moon. I would stand at the Auburn Moon booth and watch people walk by. So I did two necas, one where I did very well, one where I didn't so one where you didn't do well. And you have to stand at the booth trying to hand out your merch because you're giving because college kids love free stuff, so you're trying to give them T shirts or trying to give them a water bottle or something like that, or a carabeaner that says Pete Holmes dot.
Speaker 1: And then see them let's say you didn't kill that day, and well yea, And so you see them gathering around the booth of the guy who killed and they're all get get the asease Carabina.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, dude, I don't know if he's ever didna. I think as blew up real fast and kind of pole vaulted that. But when I did it the first time and I knew it was a big deal, it was like I was more nervous, more jacked up for it than like my first late night or anything. It was like it really felt like no one will ever know, you know what I mean. It's not going to be on TV. But if I do this, it'll fill my calendar, like it'll fill out my whole year. And when I said eleven hundred dollars, that wasn't random like I would say the average I don't not even mid level, low level, but headlining early comedian, especially if you're clean, which I was clean at the time, you'd make about a grand unless they clumped them together. Now you're doing it for me.
Speaker 1: You get paid more if you're clean.
Speaker 7: You book more if you're clean, because.
Speaker 1: They don't want a lot of just don't want dirty talk.
Speaker 7: Absolutely not. In fact, you once you book the gig and you get this a whole I could write a book on how to do colleges, but once you get there you can ask and say, really, that.
Speaker 1: A really good cock joke. Do you guys want it? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, And it's the same with you know, I do corporate gigs now too, and they're always like, you book it because you can do an hour squeaky clean, and I can and I do and I like it. But sometimes you get there. Last one I did was for like liquor salesmen. I'm like, these guys want to and these men and women would like to hear about this sex story or whatever it is. They're gonna like it the sex joke.
Speaker 1: So anyway, there's a section in your new stand up I'm not for everyone? Is that what it's called?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I am not for everyone.
Speaker 1: I am not for everyone where it's not dirty necessarily, but you speak in a very funny way about uh sexuality? Right? Is that the way way to put it? And I just thought it was so funny and interesting. But it would that be considered But would that section be considered all rated?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Everything in my new special, with few exceptions, would be too edgy for a naka. But the great thing is is because I was raised religious, I fuck naka. I thought I was going to go to hell if I was a naughty boy. So I was way ahead of.
Speaker 1: The curve, right, something that's in Crashing and we haven't touched on and we can. We can just touch on it briefly. One thing that's interesting about your story is that you grew up quite religious, correct and then so part of the story of Crashing is not only is it Pete's story, he's a young, wide eyed stand up coming to town, but your character and you grew up very religious.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it really is sort of like a I don't want to say thrown into the wolve's den, but it had a little flavor of that more because of how sheltered eye was. And you know, Nate Bargatzi was there at the same time as me, and he and I bonded a lot over just like we're you know, we're afar away from the from the church life, which which was very sweet and nice. I'm not saying anything bad about it. Now everybody's you know, doing everything that you could think, drugs, drinking, and there's a lot of like.
Speaker 1: When you're still a religious man, are you not?
Speaker 7: I'm a spiritu Yeah, it's a spirit deeply spiritual person. And that and that informs it. You know that we're changing gears a little bit. But it's like, I think there's a big difference between dirty and ugly. My comedy is very dirty, but it's not ugly, and I think you can do clean comedy that's very ugly. I think what you should really pick up on, thanks Ton, is like the undercurrent, like what values, what attitudes and perspectives are you championing? And if you don't say fuck, it doesn't matter. Did you just say a man should be able to hit a woman? Did you kind of like, let's really reduce what you just said. Isn't that what you just said? And this could be a clean comic? And then I go up and I say, like, you're the joke you're referencing. I think, is you know Kinsey approved. It's very interesting about the spectrum of sexuality and it's dirty. I'm talking about jerking off in sacks and all this stuff, but like, underneath that, I'm saying, we're all in this together. It's a sexuality strange and it's unifying, Like my goal is for it to be unifying.
Speaker 1: You never punched down in your and your kind and there's there's a kindness to your comedy. You're saying some outrageous, funny things, but you're not taking aim at anybody in a mean way.
Speaker 7: I appreciate that if I do take a cheap shot or punch down, even if it's briefly, it's because that's true to our experience, that everybody has a mind that occasionally thinks something that you don't approve of, and I think that's valuable to talk about as well. Meaning like this, I say this all the time, but the sweetest nun, the most gentle woman in the world, sometimes is stirring her coffee and she's like, I don't know why, but I don't like whatever. You know what I mean, I'm not I won't say it, but.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, I wanted you to go there. And just.
Speaker 7: Example I usually give is I'll be on a plane or something, I'm like, I don't know why, but I hate the back of this guy's head, like I fucking hate the shape and fucking this dumb hair. So one of the unifying things you can do. And I know I'm having my cake and eat it too. But if I do make a joke that's cheeky or a little bit wicked, it's because I'm trying to demonstrate shamelessly and innocently that all of us know how lonely it is to be stuck in these fucking outdated biological spaceships that because of the wiring and the pattern recognition and the judging and the labeling and the consumerism and everything, that all the impetus that we're constantly being flooded in your brain. It's like a fucking washing machine filled with marbles, and shit's flying out sometimes, and it's lonely and isolating and honestly encouraging of dark and weird thoughts to not say, hey, sometimes I have a thought like this and it's fucking weird. And if I can use my platform to make people feel less shame, that's great. And sometimes it might be at the expense of whatever, like some joke that you're not ooh, that you're not supposed to say that, yeah, okay, and here we are and here we are. You're also not supposed to think that, you're not supposed to feel that you're not supposed to do that, but we do. I have a joke in my New Hour about taking my daughter on a carousel, even though my friend like couldn't find his daughter, and I could have helped him look for his daughter, but it's a whole story. I'm not proud of that story. They found her, I.
Speaker 2: Can't find my daughter. Okay, I'm gonna go with that's.
Speaker 7: Exactly the joke. But that to me using a high status position loud voice, I'm talking, let's go back to being Bonobo's babies. You know what I mean, loud voice. I'm up high and I'm in the light. So that's an alpha position. And to use it instead of championing myself and telling you all my virtues and all my gloriousness like a dictator and how ineffable I am, instead being vulnerable enough to be like I should have not gotten on the carousel. That's more valuable because people are like, you know what, dude, in this flawed, imperfect thing. Sometimes I do that, And if and if you can laugh at me and then still quietly be like I've done stuff like that, that.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the most common.
Speaker 7: What is gained if I get up and just tell you how fucking great I am and how perfect I am. And you know what I hate most comedy is just going up on staying and saying, isn't food great? Isn't sex great? Isn't winning great? Isn't isn't that's it? Isn't money great?
Speaker 2: It's something I remember back in the day.
Speaker 4: It was always there was some women that would come on stage, a lot of women where my big women at that shit used to be like the first motherfucking my.
Speaker 1: God, wear my big women at him that.
Speaker 7: You know, what I hear constantly is who's drinking? But that is who's drinking? You guys partying and then you're into drinking, but that is also Look, I have respect for anyone doing comedy, so I'm not gonna, you know, broadstroke dismiss anyone. But if I go on stage and do a bit about how great alcohol is in a club where everyone's drinking, nothing has happened. People who already liked alcohol like alcohol. If I can go on stage and make them, and it doesn't have to be alcohol, but just kind of like take the other side for fun and get people to laugh at not even something that challenges them, but like something a little bit more interesting than just like, isn't aren't orgasms great? Isn't dopamine great? Isn't you know? Or a story where you go and I say, get the fuck out of here, clown, and everyone cheers for me.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought you did that in spades with the run you do on sexuality and the Kinsey scale. I thought it was really funny and interesting and certainly not something I've seen anyone talk about in a comedy set. I thought that was really unique.
Speaker 7: Thanks, man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after these fine words. What are your parents? Are they alive? What do they think of your comedy? I imagine they're religious. Still.
Speaker 7: You know what's really really weird is that my parents, my mom was more was very religious, and that was I wrote it in my book that my brother and my dad had sports and me and my mom had Jesus, and that was like our interest. We knew the stats, you know, you knew all the stats, all the teams. But like, as my mom's gotten older and I've gotten older as well, that's how it works. I've gotten way more spiritual and my mom's gotten a little bit less interested in that stuff, which which is not you know, she's eighty two and that's not my favorite. Only I've said before, I'm like, I wish it would be if my mom would be like comfortable and feel held in the world and be religious in a way that I don't share all of those beliefs, but like felt secure in the universe. That's my hope for her, and that's why now I push it on her a little bit, so at the tables of turn. But answer where I think you were going. My parents don't really know. I think they don't really know what to make of me to this day.
Speaker 1: Do they watch it? Will they watch this new special?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the last one that came out. I think they watched it with some church friends and then they just call me and we were so humiliated, and I'm like, you see, this is full circle, man, because me saying don't bring your friends is me also saying don't bring your family. No, it's not about them. And what I always say to my mom with all love and to my dad as well as I go, it's not for you. And any artist that's making something with what will my parents think, isn't giving me all of themselves? And I'm here, you know, I don't want to, you know, blow my own horn, what is it?
Speaker 1: Blow it to it?
Speaker 7: But I want to, like mine deep I want to share humiliations. I want to share vulnerable feelings. I want to make fun of my parents, you know what I mean. Like, I spent a lot of my life being like, yes, sir, and and this is your show and I'm just you know, I'm one of the one of your crew, you know what I mean. Like, and it's like, that's fucking over, man, I was.
Speaker 1: Just talking iry to interrupt you, But that kind of informs the title. I'm not for everyone. You're saying, I'm not for mom and dad. No, I'm going to be vulnerable. I'm going to do my thing. I'm definitely not for everyone.
Speaker 7: If it's for everyone, it sucks for everyone.
Speaker 1: It sucks, Amen, And that allowed for the people in back.
Speaker 7: That's really true. And dude, you see that in your films for sure, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: For everyone, but no, but gosh, for the people that respond to them, it's such as that's the reason you make them.
Speaker 2: They say, that's why we're in this.
Speaker 1: We're not in you know, Scrubs was not for everyone. You know, we're here doing a Scrubs podcast and all the people listening obviously loved the show, but the show was never a runaway hit. Every season we were like, are we coming back? And that happened for nine years.
Speaker 7: I told this to Bill. I was like, that that show. I know. I said this to Zex's on the pod three times and I'm sure we've talked about the episode where j D is wondering how he'll die. He looks at you, Donald and you're eating a sandwich, and he's like, heart failure, you know what I mean? And he looks at him and then he looks at his own reflection and goes, I don't know, stress. I have the chills as I'm telling you this. I saw that stuff and I was like, that's what you're supposed to do with a platform. And again, we watched some popcorn shows. We watch things that are for we're not you know what I mean. We don't have to put down other things. I'm just saying there's a special place. I was just talking to a comedian where I was like, the money, it's for the discomfort of dealing with the people that might be like, why did you make that joke about me? But it's my fucking job. It's my job to risk it. That's really what the money is for, you know. Bb King used to say, I do the shows for free. They pay me to travel. I do the shows for free, they pay me to deal with the draining feeling. I was just in Salt Lake City. I did four shows. I come back to the hotel, and I've been, you know, making fun of my family, making fun of myself, sharing like I said that story about the carousel, and I'm just sort of like, you feel what my wife and I call everybody calls a vulnerability hangover. You feel hollow and tender. I was just rewatching Phantom Thread when he does his show and then he gets the next day, it just cuts to him in bed. I don't want to make it too dramatic here, but I'm like, that's what the money is for. It's for this feeling of like, oh my god, I just show my realness to a lot of people. Yeah, I'm not one hundred percent of voyeur. Part of me likes being seen and celebrated. But a lot of you goes like, I just really that was real.
Speaker 1: I think I first, I love that expression of vulnerability hangover. I think I felt that every time I release a film. I feel, of course, I feel like, oh my god, you rip yourself open uh. And then and then of course you're you're judged positively or negatively. And then and then people's watching and they don't and then there's then there's just quiet and you feel a vulnerability hangover, yeah.
Speaker 7: And you feel empty and you feel tender, and you feel just my wife is so good at it. But there is like a rebuilding process and that's a whole other podcast. But like getting your balls right, getting your family right, having interests outside of this. There's a lot of people in our town, you know, we never talk about comedy or anything. It's really good for my spirit.
Speaker 2: You know. I was about to say, how does that work?
Speaker 4: Like doesn't everyone when it's your profession and you're around your peers.
Speaker 2: Do you guys talk about jokes all the time? Are you on? Is this? You know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Like I wouldn't call it on, you would love it. That's my answer is it's it's the best hanging with comedians, especially if they're like minded comedians. There's still some ball breakers that aren't my favorites. But if I'm hanging out with Mike bro Bigli or I was just hanging out Eddief did my podcast today, it's heaven because they especially guys my age, men and women my age, they've been through a lot of the same stuff. So you said trenches earlier, but there is a like you're bonded by having shared this experience and a lot of us we were doing it alone, and now we all get to get together and be like that was some shit, right, and like and support each other and you do.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: I have it with you guys right now. But it's nice to be able to just go it's not weird if I tell you I'm working on a bed about this and and just kind of say it and then they kick it back to you.
Speaker 1: I love that with you. When I do Pete's show. By the way, for interested, I've done like you said, I've done Pete's Show three times, and you can check it out. It's called you made it weird?
Speaker 7: Right In sex defense, we don't say the name of the show a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah you don't.
Speaker 7: There's no reason you should really know it.
Speaker 1: I've done it three times. I should be definitive.
Speaker 7: No, I'm saying you shouldn't. Every time you've done it, I haven't been like, welcome to you made it weird. I'm here with that, but it never comes up.
Speaker 1: But the reason, the reason I keep doing it, honestly, Pete, and I hope we graduate to being real friends in real life. But I I just love coming and laughing with you. I think we have we.
Speaker 2: Haven't coming and laughing.
Speaker 7: I love coming in that order to the release laughter.
Speaker 1: I love laughing with you. We have a very someatimes of humor. And the last time I did it, Donald, we brought up Glen Gary Glenn Ross and spent the bulk of the episode just just purely probably poorly quoting Glengary Glenross.
Speaker 7: I would put it to Mammot himself that it was excellent. I mean that movie all all my comedian friends, most of them are obsessed with that movie, and it goes all the way up to Seinfeld. He's not my friend, but like I know a lot of comedians that love that movie because it talks about the brutality of selling your wares, of like salesmen that have to use their personalities to like kind of get ahead. So of course comedians would relate.
Speaker 1: Well, they must have loved our episode, Pete, because that's mostly what we talked about.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Jodo Ros and I text each other exclusively in Glengarry.
Speaker 1: Quotes, Yeah, I've exhausted the only gifts available on I message to you. I believe there's only a couple. There's always closing going to Safari. Yeah, you help me find better Glen Glen Ross gifts. Yeah, Pete, thank you so much for coming on. I Am not for everyone. Is on Netflix on October twenty fourth. That's right, not a question mark, an exclamation point and audience, I'm telling you. I saw this live with Bill Lawrence and I. I remember it was a holiday, right, Pete was Labor Day or Memorial Days, one of those days, and we were both kind of tired, and we said, let's go. It's Pete's hilarious. It'll be great, and we went and I genuinely laughed my butt off. It's so funny and so smart, and I encourage you all to check it out. Thanks man, Donald, say something nice about Pete.
Speaker 7: Donald, You're welcome anytime. He's salty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Donald, come, don Are you willing to talk about Are you to talk about Star Wars? Where are you on Star Wars? Because that's Donald's favorite thing to talk about.
Speaker 4: He knows Bill, he knows Bill Burr. He was in Star Wars. That's how I found out who Bill Burr was.
Speaker 7: Actually, because he was in The Mandalorian.
Speaker 2: Because he was on the Mandalorian, I was like, who is this guy?
Speaker 1: Pete? Could you fill an hour with Donald talking about here the key?
Speaker 2: I had been watching him like on the Chappelle Show back in the day and all that.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, that Racial Draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you can do Marvel Star Wars stop motion animation as a focus. Uh, sports basketball. If you could fill an hour with that, Donald will crush your podcast. Uh, bag of dits.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not gonna We're not gonna go into that.
Speaker 1: Pete Holmes, we love you. The special is called I Am Not for everyone. Yeah, but Pete, in my mind, you're for me.
Speaker 7: You're definitely, and that's what we've learned. Thank you, definitely, really really cool.
Speaker 2: You are fucking Batman dude, you are bad.
Speaker 7: Thank you? Oh yeah, the Batman series is on YouTube now. We're dropping every Thursday. By the time this comes out, they might all be out, but we're firing everybody on theh.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you ask Donald or me to be a character and that fucking thing.
Speaker 7: If we thought Donald would do it, leave you out of it. I didn't mean to. I didn't mean to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did your funny Friends, but I never got the email.
Speaker 7: You'd be great. I mean we we still have a lot of people to fer. We need a riddler. We could do riddler, we can do. We want to do poison Ivy commissioner Gordon.
Speaker 1: Who could Donald?
Speaker 2: Yeah you could.
Speaker 7: Be Gordon, Yeah you could be modern Gordon. But Mat McCarthy is our Gordon. We already you already got Sorry, who can Donald be? That's a great Gordon, the newest Gordon. I don't know, but the Batman.
Speaker 1: Impressions you do a nice you. You don't do impressions on stage, but you are pretty good at impressions.
Speaker 7: They come out sometimes and it evolved from good to pretty good.
Speaker 1: And do you want to give us a quick al pacino? And then we have to go.
Speaker 9: Pete, I want to say you thank you so much for having me on his podcast. It's been wonderful to sit with my friend zach Rath and Donald.
Speaker 1: Or I'll give.
Speaker 7: I like my aides to be presentable. I've gone with my mouth. That's shore taking it out. It's a little bit better without the gun.
Speaker 1: Al. We usually end the show by counting five to six seven eight. Would you count us out? Five six, seven eight is Alpha shooting? Hell yeah A five six.
Speaker 5: Here's some stories that show we made about a bunch of times and nurses in Jana, I said, here's a story net. All s no, so gadder round you here, our gadder round you here, our sweat show. Is that no,