Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 1: We begin with the latest on the war in the Middle East.
Speaker 3: It is day eleven of Israel's fight with Hamas, and now President Biden is making plans to travel to the region on day twelve. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken made the announcement after a marathon meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Natanyahu.
Speaker 4: He's coming here at a critical moment for Israel, for the region, and for the world, and he's coming here to do the following. First, the President will reaffirm the United States solidarity with Israel and our ironclad commitment to its security.
Speaker 3: Secretary Blincoln also says President Biden's trip will send a message to state and non state actors in the region not to try to attack Israel. He says Israel has agreed to work with the US on a plan to bring humanitarian aid into civilians in Gaza.
Speaker 2: Well Nathan, Israel's ambassador to the US, says his country does not want to occupy Gaza. In the wake of Hamasa's death. Assault and Michael Herzog spoke to Bloomberg's and Marie hor Dern and Joe Matthew.
Speaker 5: It is not our intention to reoccupy Gaza and rule over the lives of two million Palestinians. That definitely is not the option. We cannot conduct them or only through our strikes. And as everybody knows, we are preparing also a ground operation. Ground press doesn't necessarily mean that we are going to occupy, occupy Gaza and stay there for years.
Speaker 2: Israel's ambassador to the US, Michael Herzog, declined to give a timetable for a ground invasion of the Gaza strip.
Speaker 3: The meantime, Karen Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Staya says his people will not be forced out of the territory.
Speaker 6: We are people of civilization, We are not animals like there are painting us. And our people will not surrender and to let them know that our people will not migrate and will not leave the land.
Speaker 3: Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammag Stias comments come as the Associated Press reports heavy Israeli bombing in southern Gaza. According to Palestinian officials, that is the area where Israel had told civilians to take refuge. State media and Lebanon are reporting the Israeli army struck two border villages in southern Lebanon. The Israeli military had reported a shooting toward an Israeli border town earlier.
Speaker 2: Well, Nathan. It may be overshadowed by Israel's conflict with Hamas, but Russian the leader of Vladimir Putin and China's Shijin Ping are scheduled to meet in Beijing, and Bloomberg Daybreak Asia anchor Brian Curtis has more.
Speaker 7: Putin travels abroad about as much as china Shijin Ping almost never. Putin has an arrest warrant issued against him by the International Criminal Court. That's for alleged war crimes in Ukraine. But he's here in China to help rejig the infrastructure scheme that she calls the project of the century. Putin will attend the forum and meet she tomorrow. The two will, no doubt laud their growing relationship, one viewed with caution by both Washington and Brussels in Hong Kong. Brian Curtis Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Okay, Brian, thank you, turning to politics back home. We're scheduled to get an indication today of how close we are to having a new Speaker of the House. Bloomberg zed Baxter has the latest Republican nominee.
Speaker 8: Jim Jordan says there will be a vote today and that he has picked up critical support.
Speaker 9: It's not about frushureing anybody. It's about we've got to have a speaker. You can't open the house and do the work of the American people and help our dearest and closest friend Israel if you don't have a speaker. So we get the speaker, we get the house open, and we get to work on the resolution.
Speaker 8: Jordan says critical support from Armed Services Chair of Mike roberts, Ken Calvert from appropriations and Anne Wagner from Foreign affairs. Vote may come as early as noon. Ad Baxter, Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Radio Right, and thank you. Turning to the markets. Bank earnings continue this morning, with both Goldman Sachs and Bank of America reporting, and Bloomberg's Tom Busby has a preview.
Speaker 10: Higher deposit costs lower advisory fees expected to weigh on profits at Goldman Sachs, but it's expected to have benefited from pose of momentum in the IPO market. Advising on three of the four biggest deals this year. Meantime, thanks to higher lending rates, Bank of America's net interest income is set to rise two and a half percent topping fourteen billion dollars. Advertised to just at earnings at eighty one cents a share. Tom Busby Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 11: Okay, Tom, thanks.
Speaker 3: Got a warning on interest rates from Philadelphia Fed President Patrick Harker. He says the Central Bank should not be thinking about additional rate hikes. He says small businesses are already struggling with higher rates.
Speaker 12: You might get ready for the fact that a lot of these firms may not make it with the higher rates, which again feeds back into my view that this is why we should hold rates steady. We should not at this point be thinking about any increases.
Speaker 3: Philadelphia's Patrick Harker's come out as one of the Fed's biggest doves. He says, policymakers have already raised rates enough to quell inflation, and.
Speaker 2: We continue to follow the trial of Sam Bankman Freed, a third member of the FTX co founder's inner circle has been testifying against him. Nishan Singh, fdx's former engineering director, says he felt blindsided when he learned of the exchange's thirteen billion dollars shortfall, and Bloomberg's Bob van Voris has details from the courthouse well.
Speaker 13: Certainly the most dramatic part was at the end when he was talking about the slide of FTX and Alomeda into bankruptcy, and at the end he said the accusation that he was getting for helping to blow up the firm had him suicidal. He claims he only knew about the fraud beginning around September of twenty two, and that he wanted Sam Pak mcfree to step up and take responsibility.
Speaker 1: For all of us and Bloomberg's Bob A.
Speaker 2: Van Voris as prosecutors could wrap up their case by the end of the week. This is Bloomberg Time now for a look at some other stories making news around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's John Tucker. John, good morning, and.
Speaker 14: Good morning to Karen. Former President Trump says Phillip P Late partialt gag order imposed by the judge in his election interference case. The ordered limit what Trump can say about the case. Potential witnesses, and the prosecutor Special Council Jack Smith at a campaign stop and I am a former president reacted to the order.
Speaker 7: What they don't understand is that I am willing to go to jail if that's what it takes for our country to win and become a democracy again.
Speaker 14: Trump arrived in New York overnight and is expected to be in court at his civil fraud trial today. A funeral was held for a young boy who was brutally stabbed to death near Chicago in an attack that's being investigated as a hate crime. Please say the six year old and his mother were attacked by their seventy one year old landlord because they're Muslim and because of hatred tying to the Israel Hamas war augment Ry hobb Is with a Council on American Islamic Relations.
Speaker 15: To what extent was this person radicalized and brainwashed by the slop sided, one sided atmosphere that has fanned the flames of hatred against Muslims and Palestinians.
Speaker 14: Belgian police shown and captured a Tunisian man susp killing two Swedish football fans as they investigate a possible terrorist related motive. European cities have been on high alert for possible extremist acts after the attacks by Hamas, but prosecutors said laid Monday there's no indication yet of a link to the conflict. A complete ballot count confirms that three coalition parties that bound to restore democratic standards in Poland together one over fifty four percent of the votes in that nation's weekend election that puts them in a position to take power. And India's top court has refused to legalize same sex marriages there, with the Chief Justice of the country saying it was up to Parliament to create such a law. And holiday season spending expected to rise this year versus last year, that the increase among middle income shoppers is forecast to be far smaller because of the impact of student loans. Deloitte survey predicts shoppers spend an average of sixteen hundred dollars of fourteen percent from last year. Global News twenty four hours a day. We're powerplaying more than twenty seven hundred journalist and the analysts in more than one hundred and twenty countries. I'm John Tucker. This see it's Bloomberg. Karen.
Speaker 2: All right, John, thank you while we bring you news throughout the day here on Bloomberg Radio. But now you can get the latest news on demand whenever you want it. Subscribe to Bloomberg News Now to get the latest headlines at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg News Now on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot com plus Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. It is time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update, and here's John stash Hour, John Karen.
Speaker 11: The Phillies won the nationally penned last year as a wildcard team and now trying to do it again. Game one of the Nationalge Championship Series, Phillies hosting Arizona, who had yet to lose of the postseason. Kyle Schwarber hit Zach Gallen's first pitch out for a home run, and then just two batters later.
Speaker 16: Speaking of no doubters, here's Bryce Hartper. The pitch swing and a high fly ball drilled right.
Speaker 14: Center field, Way back go.
Speaker 7: Bryce Harper, a solo homer in the Phillies leader two to nothing as he circles the bases and they're going crazy there at the bank.
Speaker 11: ESPN had to call second in Nick Castianos with his fifth home run in the last three games. Phillies beat the Diamondbacks five to three behind Zach Wheeler. Game two is tonight in Philly. Texas won again five to four at Houston. Rangers, yet to lose in this postseason, and they go home up two games to none on the Astros. In the ALCS, Kim Ang made history as baseball's first female general manager, but no longer with the Miami Marlins after three years on the job. Phillys some disagreements with ownership. I'm gonna football in La. The Cowboys beat the Chargers twenty to seventeen. They bounce back from that forty two to ten loss to the forty nine Ers, and they're ten to one coming off a loss since twenty twenty one. Justin Philips Chato Quarterbacks got to dislocate Thumm, He's doubtful For Sunday hockey in Washington, the Capital's meet Calgary three two in a shootout. Johns dash Allen Bloomberg sports.
Speaker 17: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Syrias Exam, the Bloomberg Business app, and Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Daybreak, Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. Intense diplomacy continues in Israel to try to prevent its war with Hummas from spilling into a broader regional conflict. President Biden is about to step into that diplomatic effort. He will be in Israel tomorrow, following up on a whirlwind trip through the region by Secretary of State Anthony Blinken and joining us once again from Tel Aviv is Bloomberg's Israel Bureau chief Ethan Browner. And Ethan, it's hard to think of higher stakes for the President to visit a region as Israel is looking more and more prepared for this ground defensive into Gaza.
Speaker 18: You're all right, Nathan, it is hard to imagine a higher stake situation. We have the head of Scentcom, the regional Pentagon branch that's in charge of this area, is here today at Lloyd Austin, here last week, Tony Blinkoln yesterday and tomorrow, and of course the President so and Ola Schultz, the German Chancellor, is.
Speaker 16: Here today, going to be here last afternoon.
Speaker 18: So it's an absolutely enormous, complicated effort to try to contain this conflict.
Speaker 16: And also I think, you know.
Speaker 18: It's a bit of a bear hug to Israel to say we really love you, we really are behind you, we really feel the horror of what happened on October seventh, But please think very carefully about what you're doing in Gaza.
Speaker 3: Are we seeing signs ethan that that thought is being put into place. I mean, we've seen reports just this morning of bombing into southern Gaza, the area that Israel had told hundreds thousands of civilians in the Gaza Strip to flee toward.
Speaker 18: Indeed, I mean a briefing the military spokesman said, look, when we see a target, we go for it. And so he said, there was a Humus target and we went after it. I can't speak to the you know, exactly what they saw and what they got, but that was this response to that. I am not seeing any evidence that there will be a restraint on the Israeli side, but I do think that every day that goes by, with greater international support and help, and you know, in the b Lincoln sat in on the War Company yesterday, it is possible that there will be a kind of massaging effect on Israeli rage and thinking as.
Speaker 16: It moves forward.
Speaker 18: It's very hard to tell, but every day that goes by, and I don't think that there'll be a ground offensive when President Biden is in the region, So that means they probably won't be a ground defensive for at least seventy two hours.
Speaker 16: You know, can shift.
Speaker 18: But there is a very very strong termination and I've been speaking about this for days on the Israeli side to take a kind of fatal blow attempt at Humas.
Speaker 3: In the meantime, Secretary Blincoln said last night that Israel has agreed to work with the US on a plan to get more humanitarian aid into Gaza. I mean, we have seen the difficulty that surrounds that, particularly at the Rafa border crossing into Egypt. What signs are we seeing at this point that humanitarian aid is getting into Gaza.
Speaker 18: I don't think we're seeing much yet. They still talk about there's been water that turned on, there is some stuff coming in, and there is a small deal brewing to apparently let out some people out of Rafa. I'm assuming these are dual national residents or visitors of Gaza. An advisor to the Prime Minister of Israel spoken bloom Radio just a little while ago saying that this deal is underway. So I don't know, but there's some clearly some effort. I mean, I think the insistence to Israel to be as careful as possible about civilians is having some impact.
Speaker 3: And as far as getting aid in at this point protecting civilians, what more can we say about that, particularly when we're seeing these reports about attacks into southern Gazo. Is there more being done to try to protect civilians in the region.
Speaker 18: The best of my knowledge, there is some attempt, and the way that the Israeli spoke a week or ten days ago with a kind of anger about civilians are really not that different from combatants down there.
Speaker 16: That has shifted.
Speaker 18: They now speak about making every effort to limit civilian casualties. I think that everyone understands that huge numbers of civilian casualties will have an effect on the region. And I think that Tony Blinkoln's travels this week have shown the last days anyway, have shown the Israelis and the Americans that there is a lot, a lot of.
Speaker 16: Anxiety on the streets of the air world.
Speaker 18: And so if they can do something to show that they are limiting that, that's going to be important in keeping out his belah from Lebanon and getting involved.
Speaker 16: So yes, there seems to be some effort for sure.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager and.
Speaker 2: I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak