Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Morning, everybody is tej n V. Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed got the brother Mark Lamont Hill.
Speaker 1: Morning morning, y'all. Now, last hour we had Jonathan Green Black here, the head of the ad L, and you know, of course he's he's I would say pro Israel, that's safe to say.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yes.
Speaker 1: And you know, Mark, I was thinking about all the people that I know who've been to Israel, been to Pakistan, who've been speaking about this issue.
Speaker 4: For a long time, for a long time.
Speaker 1: Marcus Mark has not only just been one of them, Marcus taking bullets, you know, for speaking out and being pro Palestine. Yeah, so what did you think that too broad a question?
Speaker 3: I'll say one thing. There's some points where.
Speaker 2: Before we go that can we can you detail people of what's going on there from your view because you were there, Get to that let and then you can talk about that so people can understand it first, because you might not know this is a new hour, they might not know what's going on.
Speaker 3: They connectcause John, I think, is replying to.
Speaker 1: The events that have taken place in Israel and in Gaza over the last week or two. And I think where he and I agree one hundred percent is that this is an awful and unprecedented tragedy. There's no way to even wrap your mind fully around what it means for over a thousand people to be killed. Correct, the attacks that happened in Israel were devastating. As someone who believes in justice, and as someone who believes in human rights, and as someone who believes that international law and rules of war have to be followed, I would say, and I'm speaking for me and lots of other people, I'm almost representing my opinion right now that Hamas's attack was a violation of international law. As an organization rooted in Islamic principles, it's also violation of religious law to attack civilians, to attack innocence, even in times of war. If I took the law off the table, just basic decency, I would say, this is awful.
Speaker 3: So we agree on that.
Speaker 1: Where we disagree very quickly is how we make sense of how we got here and what we do moving forward. History didn't start on October seven, and oftentimes we see this in the United States when a target gets blown up or set on fire, or a police car gets slipped over or whatever, whether we agree or disagree with the action. At that moment, the media starts to say, look at these animals, look at these savages. I can't believe they did that. And if you were to come up from another planet and watch this, you would think that history started on ferguson the night that shit got set on fire. You would think that the world just started at these moments, when in fact, there's a long history that gets you there. Israel has been in apartheid state since nineteen forty eight years, yes, years. It has been an occupying power since nineteen sixty seven, right, fifty six years, yeah, and it has been. It has held the guys in people in particular, under siege since two thousand and six, seventeen years going on eighteen in January. So these are the things that get you there. And the people of Gaza are catching hell. This isn't ordinary, Hell, this isn't normal. Just inequality. We're talking about not having access to clean water, We're a potable water right, not having access to schools, being constantly under siege, where you're getting bombs, you're getting shot at, you're vulnerable to premature death every single day. This is what they're dealing with for the last seventeen years. And so when Hamaz emerges and engages in this activince, which is not excusable because I don't want everybody say he's trying to excuse me. I'm not excusing me. I'm saying it's inexcusable, right, But we have to understand where it starts. And when you put people in an open air prison, which is what Gaza is, it's an open air prison, you have to expect people to respond at some point. So whose fault is the condition, guys in? Is it Hamas? Because that hasn't Hama's been in control since six Hamasa. Yeah, I mean it's the right question, right, And what Jonathan would say, what a lot of pro israel folk would say, is well, you know, all the Jewish settlers left in two thousand and five, and Hamas took over in two thousand and six, and therefore, whatever happens, that's on y'all. Problem is Pilotitians have not had one minute, not one minute of self determination in those seventeen years. In other words, yeah, they left. It would be like if you were in a prison, and they say, Okay, all the guards left, but you're still in prison. We're still on the border of the prison. You still can't get out of the prison, right you STI don't have any more food, and we control it, right God. Israel controls Gaza by land, by air, and by sea. It controls the population registry, It controls the electromagnetic sphere. It controls everything that goes in and everything that goes out. It is military. It is effectively controlling or effectively occupying Gaza, just from the outside. And so, no, they haven't had an opportunity for self determination. They haven't had an opportunity to build. They are under occupation in a different way, but the same as the people in the West Bank. And so it is a very very very different situation. That's not to say that Hamas is perfect. There are lots of stuff about Hamas I disagree with. I disagree with religious rule in general. And Hamass is rooted again. They come from as As Jonathan accurately said. Their roots are in the Islamic Brotherhood of Egypt, and they do have a vision of freedom that is rooted in Islamic principles. I happen to disagree with with religious governments. I agree with that. There's other critics that have this critice to have every government, but it's important to acknowledge that Hamas is a government, and you can't have it both ways. Sometimes they'll say, well, Hamas is a terrorist organization. You can't talk to them, you can't deal with them, you can't do this, you can't do this, and that kind of language makes it impossible to have a diplomatic or political solution. They make it seem as if the only thing you can do is blow them up because they're not a government.
Speaker 3: They're not a government.
Speaker 1: I wondered about that too when it comes to Hamas, because you know, they say they're a government, but their charter just says they want to destroy Israel and kill Jewish people. So it's like, can you negotiate with somebody if that's literally your charter. That's that's an interesting question. A couple of things. Hamas starts in nineteen eighty seven. As again, Jonathan said that accurately, they started in nineteen eighty seven as a nationalist group. Their goal was the liberation of the entire land of Palestine. At some point they got to a space where they wanted to also be involved in politics. So nineteen eighty seven is a very different moment than two thousand and five, two thousand and six when they ran in these elections, when they ran apart in these elections against Fatah. At that moment, their goal was still a free Palestine that for them meant getting rid of what they call design escentity, didn't mean a certain kind of vision of freedom that did not include the state of Israel as a Jewish state. Right. But Hamas over time was willing to have a unity government with the Palestinian authority, with the FACTA in particular. They were willing to engage in diplomatic relations. And it's dishonest to suggest that they haven't been engaged in Israel, that we can't talk to them the guys. If Israel want to blow up all of Hamas and all the guys, that they could have already done that, right. But they've always worked with They've always worked with Hamas, They've always worked with them since two thousand and six to keep the perimeters steady because they don't want instability. They don't want five or six groups fighting, right, So they've always negotiated with Jimas so it's sort of designed to say that we just can't talk to them. I understand the concern that Hamas's vision of a solution for the political issue is different than israels solution for the political issues was different than the other party solution for the political issues. That's fine, But they are democratically elected government, and they have a right as a democratically elected government to.
Speaker 3: To negotiate and to have a worldview. And Israels are right to.
Speaker 1: Have theirs, but you can't undermine them as a government even if we disagree with them. I might say that thing that happened on October seventh was an act of terrorism inexcusable. I would say that, I am saying that, But that does not mean that it's impossible to have a diplomatic or political solution to this problem. We cannot pretend that the only way to solve this issue is to just blow everything up and to just kill everybody.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you a question. Now, you did say their attack was not.
Speaker 1: By the rules right of war in neither Israel's right.
Speaker 2: So now with Israel talking and I guess sending flies and pamphlets out and says, you know, we're giving you twenty four to forty eight hours to leave Gaza. We're going to start bombing Gaza. And I heard this morning on the news that said, you know, the hospitals are saying, we can't get out. We can't get these people out because by the time we try to get them out, they will die.
Speaker 1: Right yep.
Speaker 4: So, if let's say.
Speaker 2: Hamas is not following the rules, a lot of people say, well, why shit Israel followed the rules.
Speaker 1: Well, if we followed. The problem is if we follow that logic down, Let's say I can see both of those points. I don't, but let's say I did, right, then I could say, well, hamaskus say, well, we didn't have to play by the rules because Israel had u under Leegal occupation for since nineteen sixty seven. They we've been underseased since nineteen Since since nineteen we've been underseased.
Speaker 3: In two thousand and six seven.
Speaker 1: We've been we've been literally since nineteen forty kicked out of our homes, all the violations of international law. A right to return is international law. Palestinians can't go back to their homes. They were ethnically cleansing in nineteen forty eight in the neckba right and somebody in the in the Israel Kannessed, which is basically the Congress, said we would to have another nekba right now. So that's a violation of international laws. The target and civilians, the refusal to provide certain supplies as an occupying power as a violation of international laws right now. Collectively punishing all Palestinians for the act of Hamas is a gross violation of international law and rules of war. Forced transfer of people from one place to another, expulsion is a violation of the rules of war. And even Jonathan is saying they would have a humanitarian corridor in the Egypt side of their country. That is another neck But that's exactly what happened, and how you got refugees before the planners that can put them out, it's not to bring them back. So yeah, the ideas to say that, well, yeah, Israel shouldn't play bout us because Hamas doesn't know if you play that game, the original rule breaker is Israel by international law and by all historical standards, so they don't they don't play that game. But I don't think we should play that game. I think at all moments we should do the most ethical, the most just, the most fair, the most humane thing that is possible, and that right now is a ceasefire. That right now is a return of all hostages. I'm talking to Hamas now right a return of all hostage from Jimas. It's it's stopping all violence right and it's coming up with a political solution that allows Palestinians to stay in their home. It is not yelling out as members of the Israeli government have said, We're going to shrink the size of Gaza because you can't. You can't start a war with Israel and leave with the same mind of land that you started with. Taking land by force is a violation of international law, occupying occupying land since nineteen sixty seven, violation right, I mean everything here, violation eighteen. Human rights organizations before all it started agreed, including Israeli human rights organizations like Bett Sellem, agreed that Israel isn't a Partheight state and it's been in Apartheight state. So somehow the global community standing up and being outraged at what happened in Israel, that makes sense to me. But what doesn't make sense to me is how we weren't outraged the day before when these things were happened to Palestinian people, and for the last seventy five years they've been happening to Palestinian people. And it doesn't make sense to me why right now we're not equally disgusted that over seven hundred at this point, I think it's even eight hundred Palestinian children have been killed in the last week. We changed the whole world for Ukraine and Russia killed about four u and fifty of those children over course of a whole year.
Speaker 2: What is your thoughts with the US, you know, bringing the largest aircraft carrier a ship out to show support of Israel.
Speaker 4: What are your thoughts on that which you're saying?
Speaker 2: But the all the thing is, nobody said anything beforehand, but now it seems like they're getting support of the US.
Speaker 4: Whatich you're thought?
Speaker 1: Right? And part of the problem is a lot of us were right. Three point six or three point eight billion dollars a year agoes from the United States to Israel. We fund the occupation and that's why mereause, if y'all wonder why you should care, because you pay for it. Right, this could not happen without anybody else's help, but the US, the US has offered weapons. They've offered weapons to make sure that israelways has the best weapons. They call a qualitative edge. They've made sure that technologies come through. We support this thing. What the US is doing right now with the aircraft carrier is a very small drop in the bucket compared to what the US has done, not since nineteen forty eight, but certainly since the nineteen sixties and nineteen really the nineteen seventies with regard to support for Israel. And that's the thing we should.
Speaker 3: Be outraged about.
Speaker 1: We should be outraged at Biden's response. We should be outraged about many members of the US Congress's response. We should be outraged by lots of people. Again, you should have been outraged when those innocent Israeli children were killed. Their lives are worth something. They're worth the same as palasating because their lives are worth something. All of our lives are worth something, right, But the outrage can't just be for Israeli kids. They got to be for kids in Palestine. They got to be for kids in Armenia, they gotta be for kids in ch I mean everywhere, But in this issue, it got to be for everybody on the table. Do you think it's because people are seeing it right now, but they're saying, Palastinian kids, do you know what it is? It's the language that we use. They use a language of Even when Jonathan was talking respectfully, there's a way that we start to talk about this is barbaric.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: When you start using words like barbaric, when you start to frame people as subhuman or inhuman, that is a deep problem. Now, Jonathan gold Black, Green Black, excuse me. Jonathan Green Black rightly pointed out that there's a long history. He alluded to the long history of Jewish people being constructed as subhuman and as animals. Right, it's a disgusting anti Semitic trope that helped animate the forces of the Holocaust. We don't want to ever go back there, but we also don't want to transfer that to Palestinian people or to Arabs. And when you start calling them barbarians, when you start hear needs extraordinary and to some of them unsubstantiated point claims about.
Speaker 3: Babies being beheaded.
Speaker 1: What it does is it creates a kind of outrage at Arabs and at Palestinians and at brown people more broadly. That then makes barbaric responses seem justified. But I want to be clear. It's not just that I disagree with disproportionate force. It is illegal to engage in disproportionate force. There is a law of proportionality in international law, that is to say that I can only use force to the extent that it's that it engaged, that it that it fulfills my military uh mission. In other words, if if we're at war and you shoot at me, and I should, I can't shoot that the whole block up. I can't. That's just common hoods sense, like you can't just shoot up the whole blo because you gotta be for one person. You can't, right, and international law protects that logic and asserts that logic. And so what Israel has done is engaged in a disproportionate force. You kill us, We're gonna kill all of y'all. We're gonna wipe them off the map that they say, We're gonna knock them three generations. We're gonna turn guys into tens. These are all quotes that we're hearing. And the problem is if you think that they're animals anyway, then it's a lot easier to do. It's just like when you hear that prisoners are starving. No one said people are going to prisoners. They don't deserve you know, they're unsafe. Oh well, you know, blah blah blah, because we've decided that they don't deserve the same thing as everybody else. Right, we can't think like that. Palisandi lives are worth just as much as Israeli lives. And until we recognize that and own that in policy, then we're going to continue to see the kind of force that we're using. And that's why I don't like this narrative of those animals, those barbarians, those uncivilized people. No, there's civilized people who can be engaged through diplomacy, through through politics, through legal solutions, just like everybody else. What's the difference between Hamas and just citizens of Palestine. Well, Hamas is a political party, you know, and they also have a kind of armed wing that is a little more extreme. But the Palacinian people haven't had a chance to vote for Hamas. I don't know what they want. They won the election, I believe for forty four the vote in two thousand and six, forty nine percent of the dozen population is under eighteen. So imagine if seventeen imagine if Donald Trump won the election in twenty twenty four, God forbid, and then he decided, which is not completely unplausible, that he's not leaving office. Oh he's going to do that, right, exactly, exactly right. I agree. So there's seventeen at least of him winning part then seventeen years later he's still in office. You can't blame the people who never got a chance to vote for him. You can't blame anybody for him being office seventeen years later if it's a four year term.
Speaker 3: And so part of it is the everyday people, the guys.
Speaker 1: I don't speak for them. I don't want to say whether they support himass or not. Right, What I know is they want to be free and they know that the other party of FETA has basically caved. They know that Paliseni authority doesn't represent their interest. They don't have a mandate either, and so it's very difficult to know what Palisi people want.
Speaker 3: Let them have free and fair elections and then we can find out what they want.
Speaker 1: But in terms of the Palestinian people in general, they don't just live in Gaza, they live in the West Bank, they live in cities like Ramaala and Bethlehem. They live in these cities and they are under military occupation. What they did, and Jonathan talked about wanting a two state solution, and again there are lots of people who want the two state solutions. I don't oppose a two state solution philosophically, but what they've effectively done since those Oslo Accords of nineteen ninety three is turned Gaza into a cage and the West Bank into two hundred and twenty eight separate ghettos. So the Palestinian people don't have unity. They don't they're ruled by different parties. Area A, they're ruled by Palestinians, Area B, there is coordinated with Israel. Area C is all Israeli control. So even the part where they're supposed to be free, they're not. And Oslo was supposed to be an opportunity to work toward a two state solution. But over the time as they're negotiating, the area is getting smaller, Palestinian freedom is getting smaller.
Speaker 3: Settlements are growing. I think I used the example before.
Speaker 1: It's like if you and I are arguing over how to divide the pizza and as we argued, whore going to which way to split it? You keep eating slices, right at some point there's nothing left to divide, and we say, well, now now there's two slices level, let's split it. Mark Well, I'd be like fuck you right, like it's too laugh. And that's basically what is happening right now in Palestine. And so Palestinian people are saying, look, we've been waiting. We we negotiated with Oslo and it was it was a farce with no Ada calls it a sovereignty trap.
Speaker 3: We tried to march in protest.
Speaker 1: They had the Great March of Return in Guys up to the undefined border of Israel, and from five hundred meters away, Israeli snipers were shooting down people, picking them off like birds. They marched. They said, tell your story through medium. My colleague get Algaeta shooting a buokla. They killed her with the press jacket on with no justice. They not First they said Palastinian killed it. Then they said, okay, we did it. Then they said as an accident, is there any justice? No, So just like black folk, here your march, they say it's wrong. Your protests, you say is wrong. Your boycott the BDS movement they've tried to criminalize, right, which is a boycott, dives, investment, and sanctioned movement called by a civil society Palestinian people saying, look, we got to do something different. So every possible strategy has been met with resistance, has been met with criminalization, has been met with violence. And so when I see these awful events that again are inexcusable, they don't come from nowhere. They don't come from from day one being October seventh, They come from day one, not even being nineteen forty eight, really day one being there late in nineteenth century, late twentieth centuries, late nineteenth century, Excuse me, when we started to see Palestinian land being settler colonized.
Speaker 2: Now, what is your thoughts on? You know, Jonathan was also upset with some chapters of Black Lives Matter supporting Black Lives Matter Chicago and Chicago. It was a couple of chapters actually that was supporting Palestine and Hamas. What's your thought on that? The reason we asking all these questions because you know, I'm not verse. I don't know if Charlamagne is versed, but I'm not verse think.
Speaker 1: I The one I saw in Chicago was the one with the paraga, a paraglider, and I thought that was impoor taste.
Speaker 3: Again, I don't because there.
Speaker 1: Was a paragliders that came in and shot up the right right.
Speaker 3: And I don't sell.
Speaker 1: I don't want to celebrate or romanticize the killing of civilians, and so I didn't like that. Standing in solidarity with the Palestinian people as they resist is nothing wrong with that. And as a nascent sovereign, as a young emerging sovereign state, a mass has the right to resist military occupation. And let's be very clear, Palestinians have the legal right, not just the natural right, but the legal right to resist.
Speaker 3: They can use violence to resist. They're under military occupation.
Speaker 1: It is not illegal to resist, but you have limits on how you can resist. Again, if you punch me in the face, I have a right, even by this law, to punch you back and to defend myself. I don't have a right to pull out a knife for Bazuoka in Blae your way with the gun whither you have though you're in Florida, you can do facts. That's very true. That that's very true right, But even in there it's limits. Like I think, if Florida, you can't be black and do it right. Book Palastadians is right, International law says you can. I wrote a book called Except for Palestine, And part of the point is all these rules work except for Palestine. Every other sovereign state has a right to defend itself. And when you're under a legal military or when you're in a military occupation, when you're a legal occupation, when you're it's a daily form of violence that legally you can defend yourself with.
Speaker 3: What you can't do is kill civilians.
Speaker 1: And so when I see people, if I see somebody where it's BLM or anybody else romanticizing the killing of civilians, I say no, I say that's wrong. I say that doesn't help our cause. But I don't want to pretend that the only strategy that black folk have, or the only strategy that Palestinians have, or the only strategy that any people have is nonviolence. This idea that Palastinians is supposed to just sit there as they get beaten and shot and killed is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Why do you think you don't hear that much of that story?
Speaker 1: Of which part of the of the because I mean.
Speaker 2: You hear more about hamas you hear more about what you know Israel, but you never hear that part of the story.
Speaker 1: Because it again, they do the same thing here with us, right like there's stories when violence happens. No disrepect to the New Black Panther Party, But there's about twelve people in the New Black Panther Party. If you would have watched watch Fox News, you would think that all the people, all the people in Fergus in march, and all the people in Minnesota marchan that it was these twelve people that said the craziest, wildest stuff were the representaters of all black people. They always take a one slice of a people and tell that and make that the whole story. That they pick it the they pull up the threads that are easiest to pull at. So that becomes part of the reason. The other part of the reason is we've never represented the Middle East or Africa in ways that show their humanity. We've always shown them as as uncivilized, as violent, as as unprepared for democracy, and that's how you end up here in the first place.
Speaker 3: But we need to tell those stories. That's our job.
Speaker 1: That's our job to tell the story of the occupation, tell the story of suffering, to tell the story of misery.
Speaker 3: Because if we don't do that, then we're complicit.
Speaker 1: That's why when those eighteen human rights organizations stood up and said, Israel is in apartheid state, that there are different rights given to some folks versus other folks based on who they are. That is the definition of apartheid. It doesn't have to look just like South Africa. It has to be based on a system of racialized hierarchy or other forms of hierarchy. And it is so when those nations came out and said that, people started paying attention. It's in many ways frustrating for me because I feel like we were just starting to turn a corner when people were noticing the injustices in Palestine. People were starting to speak out against what was happening. People were starting to say, wait a minute, Israel also has to do something. Political candidates were running it, like Bernie Sanders are saying, look, we can't give unconditional eight to anybody, but even Israel. Israel has to not have human rights violations for us to keep giving them our money. This is where the conversation was turning, and this moment creates an, unfortunately for me, an opportunity to say, look, we don't have to hold Israel accountable for anything. We can only focus on Palestinians. And I think everybody, everybody needs to be held accountable. I guess I keep getting slightly confused because we talk about Hamas and Palestinian citizens, and I wonder if that if that's fair. And the reason I say that because it feels like Hamas is willing to sacrifice the Palestinian people because they have to know you're not gonna win a war with Israel. They had to know when they committed that act of terror what the response was going to be, and they had to know that so many innocent Palestinians were going to be killed because of it.
Speaker 3: You know, it's an interesting question.
Speaker 1: I asked that very question to Osama him Dan, who's one of the who's senior spoken for for Hamas. I asked. I had him on my Algazeri show last week as well as an Israeli official, and I asked him that very question. I said, if you know your response is going to be this, why would you do that? Yeah, there's an interesting set of questions responses that he didn't he didn't say this, he avoided the question. But my response would be one, I'm not sure they knew that they'd be this successful.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I think they they thought the Israeli intelligence and Israeli military would be better prepared.
Speaker 3: For this UH, for this uh for this.
Speaker 1: Attack than they than they than they were, and I think Israel is and I think Jonathan's basically said that, like everybody was a little surprised by this. They may have underestimated Hamas's capability, and Hamas may have overestimated Israel's capability, at least in that moment. So I think part of it was they weren't planning, They weren't prepared for this to be They didn't think they'd get this many hostages. They didn't think they'd be able to breathe it, you know, to kind of get past the barrier and kill that many people. So I think some of this might have been this is me speculating now. I think some of this might have been oh shit, we end oh shit, like we hear, let's figure this out. The second thing is, I think what they would say to you is we're dying now slowly, and yes, this may cause an act of extraordinary, disproportionate retaliation by Israel, but at least we have an opportunity to change the conditions on the ground. At least the world is watching. At least we have an opportunity to do something else. Do I think that's the right decision? Though I don't. I think that's a terrible political calculation. And I don't think that you can sacrifice civilians any interest of this. I just don't think you can do that. But I also understand that if we do nothing at all, if we do nothing at all under occupation, if we do nothing at all under slavery, if we do nothing at all under any gross community system of injustice, our presses don't just free us. And Palactians were dying anyway, They're being ethnically cleansed anyway, They're being taken off their land anyway, And so there's no reason to believe that if Hamas had just sat on their hands then things would have gotten better. So we can have a critique of Hamas and say, hey, that was wrong, but we also have to recognize that it's not like things were getting fixed and Hamas went and messed them up. They were dying anyway. Palatines are dying every single day. Those hospitals already don't have enough power. People die.
Speaker 3: Those hospitals are death camps anyway.
Speaker 1: And right now, and just think about this again, Israel is turning off all the electricity, all the fuel the hospital. The international representative from the Red Cross, the International Red Cross, said that this hospital will be a graveyard if Israel doesn't give them energy. And when I spoke to Israel officials about this directly, they said, well, talk to Hamas about that. Can you explain Hamasa's relationship to the Palestinian government. Is Hamas the Palestinian government. Hamas is the Palestinian government effectively in Gaza. So basically, so they're in a leadership in Gaza, in Gaza God, but so there's a Palasinian Authority Palsin national Authority. In nineteen ninety three, they effect the Palsonian National Authority became the ruling government or the ruling authority and representative of the Palestinian people. This is part of the Oslo Accords, which was an attempt to create a two state solution. And so they said, okay, the PLO is working the Palsenian Liberation Organization, who they used to call terrorists. Right, they said, you know what, we'll rec ugnized them as the AS, the U as the AS the representative of the Palatine people. And then we're going to have elections and parties can run. FATTA is one of the parties, right, and they're the party that rules in the West Bank. That's that's everything, that's the west bank of the Jordan River, that's all the land that was occupied in the after the nineteen sixty seven war, that's that's them. And then Gaza had elections and Fata Haran then there too. They did not win. They lost by a fairly slim margin. The elections were contested and at some point but Hamas won and so then what you saw is what you wanted to see, was a unity government that didn't happen. Part of why the unity government didn't happen was the US and Israel undermined it. But at the end of the day, you know, have uh Hamas running this part of the of of Palestine and you have another party running FATA, running the other part of Palestine, and that is.
Speaker 3: Why you have some challenges.
Speaker 1: But what's interesting is when we're fighting over Jerusalem as a global community Muslims, Christians, when we're fighting for Jews, we're talking about Jus, We're talk about stats judism that doesn't have anything to do with Hamath, that has due with with Mahamurabads, that has due with this party in the West Bank, when we're talking about in a part type wall being built throughout the West Bank, when we're talking about the treatment of people and mother, when we're talking about a program committed in the West Bank, in the Palestinian village by Israeli military general standards, all that I.
Speaker 3: Ain't got nothing to do in Hamas.
Speaker 1: Hamas is like they become almost like a boogeyman that we can talk about when we should be talking about all these other issues. There are legitimate Palestinian representatives who they also have refused to meet with. There are legitimate negotiations that could happen that they've also refused to have. So Hamas in some ways is saying, look, the rest of our leadership is sold out. We're going to hold the line here. Again, it doesn't mean I grew with their tactics, but again it didn't start from nowhere part of what Jamas has some of the admiration of the people, it's because they're the only people who haven't capitulated and so and they can't vote for anybody else.
Speaker 3: So this is this is the challenge of it.
Speaker 1: So the Palestinian leadership is even divided based on where they are. And the reason why that happens is because again Israel and the Alslo courts divided the Palisenian territories up in a way that Palisanians don't have one cohesive, continuous piece of land with access to water, all the things you would need for a country. They put them broken up in these little ghetto so that they could never have a full body representing them, both geographically or politically. So in Israel waging war, is it just contained to Gaza at one area? It is right now, although as of the last report I saw seven people were killed in the West Bank too, but by Israeli forces. But but yeah, right now, it's only happening in Gaza. And we've also seen things happen when you hear clashes in ox of Moss, that's happening in the West Bank, that's happening and occupied East Jerusalem, when you hear.
Speaker 3: About you know.
Speaker 1: Br Goldstein, a settler from Brooklyn who came and engaged in a massacre at the Iberheim Mosque in Khalil and Hebron and the nineties that was in the West Bank and the military clashes that came after that were there. So there's It really just depends on where you're talking about at a given moment. But right now we're talking about just the guys A strip, which is a very specific strip of land uh with within the region. Most people are up north right Gadsa City, and right now they're being told go to the southern part of the country. That's another important thing because part of what people say is Israel has the most restraint. They have the most restraint driven military in the world. They give people warnings before they bomb them. They tell people.
Speaker 3: So they do have what's called a roof knocking strategy, where they say, well, you know, we'll knock on the roof and in three minutes later with we'll drop a non explosive on your roof and then you have like three minutes to.
Speaker 1: Leave before we blow it up.
Speaker 3: That's not a lot of time.
Speaker 1: Second, they've they've gotten rid of that strategy they say, well, if to the point you made earlier, I say knocking, we ain't knocking, We're just blowing shit up now.
Speaker 2: Also, well, let's say you know my question to that too, because if you knock on and as Hamas, Hamas knows now you're gonna bomb me.
Speaker 4: So they know how to get the hellouse.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: That doesn't make much sense at all.
Speaker 1: Evil.
Speaker 3: The argument was a lot because they say a.
Speaker 2: Lot of people that that Hamas is what even what Jonathan green Blast said was they they are setting up in churches, they're setting up in hospitals, they're sitting up in schools, they're setting up in bacad.
Speaker 1: I haven't. I have yet to see intelligence reports that say that. The problem is they say Hamasis everywhere. They say Hamasis everywhere, and they have tunnels everywhere. So then when you blow up a school, that school is filled with children, and they say, well, yeah, but Hamas was in there. The narrative is constructed as if Palestinian people stand in front of their babies with guns and so and force you to kill both of them. Right, that's the narrative, right, history intelligent reports don't necessarily suggest that that. Oftentimes what is seen as a military target often is just a civilian target. I mean when the classic example historically is the bombing of the King David Hotel, they say, oh, it was a British military target.
Speaker 3: That is that is rarely terrorists blew up.
Speaker 1: Right, turns out it wasn't and it's stories it wasn't a military talk there were civilians in there, right, These are the things that happened. Schools are getting bombed, hospitals are getting bombed, homes are getting leveled. I spoke to a woman whose entire family eleven people in the house were killed when the apartment was leveled last week, and none of them were military.
Speaker 3: None of them were members of Jimaz.
Speaker 1: But this idea of saying what we had to blow it up because Hamas is basically saying Jimaz stands in civilian areas and forces us to kill everybody. But there's no evidence of that. But again, international law doesn't say you can just do that. You can't just arbitrarily do that. And you can't move one point one million people to the south in twenty four hours and at the same time that you shoot down the corridor to get them there, and you're shooting at transport vehicles, they transferred people from the north to the south. If all that is happening, you can't in good faith say that we gave everybody a warning, as if all the civilians were going to leave to the south and Homasa is gonna be standing up in the Northay, hey here we are come get us right, Like that's not realistic, honest, and we have to be honest about that.
Speaker 3: And honestly, Antonio is the head of the UN.
Speaker 1: Other nations are beginning to say that they're saying, Look, this is disproportionate for us, this is too much. You can't blow up all the hospitals. You have to give people food, you have to give people electricity. And the fact that we're sitting here right now having a fight over whether or not Palestinians can get food, clothing, shelter, electricity, fuel is absurd. Thousands of Palastinians have been killed and we're pretending like it's just okay, and it's not. Yeah, I wonder about that too, Like why do people have to be pro Israel or pro Palestine? Like, I'm pro I don't want to see kids get killed. I'm pro I don't want to see anything. I'm anti war, Like, why do people have to pick this side? Like I don't understand. I'll tell you why. At this moment, we can all say we don't want violence. I agree, you don't have to know about the issue. And look, I just don't want to see anybody die. That's why I'm at this moment. I want to see another Israeli child dead. I don't want see another Palestinian child dead. I don't want to see anybody die, not just children, adult. I don't want nobody to die. But the problem is if you say that you are pro Israel as it is currently constituted, then you are saying that you are in support of a government that is systematically colonizing people, that is systematically displacing people, that is systematically stealing people's land, that is systematically ethnically cleansing people, as we see in Gaza right now. Those people leave gods and can't come back. They've been ethnically cleansed. Right When you say you pro Palestine, then they'll say you pro Hamas. Here's the difference. If I say I'm pro Hamas, I'm saying I'm pro Hamas, right, I can be pro Palestinian and support Pilistlian self determination and still disagree with Hamas. The problem is Israel as it is constructed. Israel as it is defined. Israel, by its own definition, is not a state of all of its citizens, by virtue of being a Jewish state, and by virtue of giving people different rights based on whether or not they are Jewish, by virtue of the fact that Palestinians have different rights and privileges, even those who are citizens of Israel. Arab sisms of Israel have different rights rules, and they'll say that's a lie. There are Palastinians and are kinnessed. They're Palestinian members in a supreme court. Palastinians at the exact same rights. There are about sixty laws on the books that show a difference, either facially or in practice in terms of how people get treated based on whether or not they are an Arab or not. Even for Arab sisterms of Israel. Right now, people in the West Bank don't have rights and freedoms. So the way Israel is constructed, it is by definition operating against the interests of Palestinian people. That's the difference. It would be like saying I'm not anti Indian, I'm just pro United States. That'd be a hell of a thing to tell a Native American right, because the United States, by definition, by its construction, is created in a way that stomps on the rights Ofative Americans here. So I can't say to something. I can't look at Native American in the eye and say, well, I'm not I don't pick a side. I'm neutral on this right. I like Native Americans and I and I and I love what America created, like nah bruh, Like you gotta pick one on that right. And so it doesn't mean, though that I have to hate Israeli's or that I have to hate Jewish people. I don't hate either. I want everyone to live in peace, safety, dignity, self determination, and justice, and that's important to be said. I guess that's why I don't like conflating to Hamas in Palestinians, because Hamas charter literally does say they want to destroy Israel and kill Jewish people.
Speaker 3: That was that was that that was their that was their charter.
Speaker 1: And I think that we can have an opposition to Hamas's charter. I think we can have an opposition to Jumas all the way and still support the Palestinian people. Again, Haimas is a government and an organization. They're not the Palestinian people, right. I think that's what a confusion is. And I think we can have a disagreement with the Israeli government, right and I could say, hey, they're they're they're Israelis. There's Ionists. There are Jewish people here who say, look, I don't agree with the Israeli government, but I disagree with the government, but I support the government's right to exist. I hear you. What I'm saying is is that the Jewish state as is constructed right now, as is constructed right now, and as it was designed since nineteen forty eight, was constructed in a way that depended upon the ethnic cleansing of Palestinian people, the settler colonizing of Palestinian people, and the continued a dispossession of Palestinian people.
Speaker 3: And so that's the difference. This isn't about what I agree with the government.
Speaker 1: And now everybody has governments issue shouldn't be held to a higher standard or a lower standard. Issua should be held to the same standards all governments. You can critique them, you can agree with them, you can support them, you can resist them, you can do all that stuff. I'm not against that, but I'm saying right now, Palestinian people have been dispossessed, they have been made stateless, they have been made refugees in their own home, and they've been made refugees around the world, and it's only getting worse. And so what we have to do right now is not just ask how can we stop this violence, which we should. I hope the violence stops tomorrow, but if we go back to the way we were two weeks ago, that also is an act of gross of irresponsibility and really violence on our part. Because Palestinians are getting treated like animals every single day.
Speaker 4: Somebody might say, well, well, why are you so passionate about this? What you know? Because you you've been passionate about this for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So if somebody asked, well, why is Mark Lamont Hill is so passionate, what would you tell.
Speaker 1: Them A couple of reasons. As an American citizen, my tax dollars go to it. I don't make as much money as y'all, but I pay a significant amount of taxes, so I feel like even more, I'm even more culpable my money goes to funding this occupation, I'm responsible for it as an American citizen, as a black person.
Speaker 3: I believe in justice everywhere.
Speaker 1: The week before I was grilling the Israeli minister in the Hamas Minster, I was grilling the Minister of a Zetba Jean because I'm worried about what's happening to people there. Right, So it's not just as real. It'sue shouldn't be shouldn't be isolated. We should be focused on it. In justice everywhere. But the reason in particular why this issue comes to me is one as somebody who study in the Middle East, it's a fascinating issue to me. But also, we don't give everybody four billion dollars a year, you know what I mean. I might be pissed off of what's going on in Uzbekahstan, but we don't put that much money. And it was Becky Wallace, right, So I don't even think that's how you said. So that's part of it as well. Also, there's a long history of solidarity of Palestinian people with black folks. Some people that they don't care about us, that's not true. Now there's some stuff we got to work out but Malcolm X cared about this issue. Malcolm X is my hero. So when Malcolm X cared about this issue, when he wrote an issue a piece on this in the Egyptian Gazette called Zionist Logic, I cared. In a fall of sixty four, I cared because Malcolm cared.
Speaker 3: Malcolm.
Speaker 1: And when everybody here go back and listen to message to the grassroots, Malcolm is talking about what a revolution looks like, and he was talking about us being connected globally, right, That's why I care about this issue. The Black Panthers cared about this issue. Snick cared about this issue in the summer sixty seven. There's a lot of people black freedom fighters who we admire. People say, be like Malcolm, be like a side of people want to march him and be like Huey. People want to be like Angela. They all cared about Palestine. So I'm following that tradition, but I'm not doing it blindly. They understood that our freedom, our liberation as a people, had to require it demanded us to be connected to people in other places who are pressed. I can't get free if Palestine ain't free. I can't get free if South Africa ain't free, and unfortunately, that fight toward freedom will always alienate you.
Speaker 3: It'll always make you look marginal, It'll always make you look like.
Speaker 1: The bad guy. Nelson Mandela spent thirty years in prison. He was in prison from nineteen sixty four until nineteen ninety. He became the president of South Africa, and he still was on the United States terror watch list until twenty eighteen. Until two thousand, we had a black president here and he was still on the terror list. He had been the president of a state, he'd been hailed around the world, he'd been at the Olympics, everybody loved him, everybody pretended that they didn't criminalize it, and he was still on our country is terror list. So we got to be real careful about who we call a terrorist. We got to be real mindful of how we use that language of terror, because one person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter. And that's not going to be taken out of context that I'm saying that I support what Hamas did. Again, I oppose what Hamas did. I oppose the killing of civilians. But what we're not going to do is pretend that oppressed people getting liberated by resisting violence in self defense is an act of terrorism.
Speaker 3: As such, we can't do that either.
Speaker 1: Can you explain your relationship between America and Israel? Because you said, you know, America gives them four billion dollars a year. Why are they such strong outa It's a great question, you know, and it's a question that lots of people ask. You know, it's a relatively so Initially the strongest support of Israel was.
Speaker 3: We're the British right. But then.
Speaker 1: By this nineteen seventies, nineteen eighties, and I talked about this in my book except for Palestine a lot, and there's other people who write is much better than me. Rassi Kality is a book called The One Hundred Years War. Nord Attakat has a book called Injustice for Justice for some, excuse me, justice for some, And there's many others Elin Pepe and others. I'd say, read the Palestinians before you read me, and these Raelies before you read me. But there's a way that the United States, I'll get to the heart of it. The US doesn't have feelings, it has interests. We watch violent atrocities happen in certain places.
Speaker 3: We don't say anything.
Speaker 1: We watch a small atrocity, and all atrocities are awful, happen in other places. I'm not talking about this though right now, and we're outraged, our outrage meter.
Speaker 3: Doesn't link to.
Speaker 1: It isn't doesn't directly correspond to what people did. It corresponds to what we need. Right there's certain places where we all we gotta go to and liberate the women, right, but that right now, we're best friends with Saudi Arabia, which has a gross human rights record, particularly against when you talk about beheadings. Look at Saudi Arabia, right They killed a journalist, Jamal Khoji five years ago.
Speaker 3: We're in the anniversary of that. So we don't have we're selective.
Speaker 1: Israel operates as the United States' strategic outposts, so there's a friendly relationship between US and Israel, but it also serves the US's military interests because the US wants a stake in the Midlis, just like everybody want to stake in the Middle East. And now you have the opportunity to have a nation that's not brown. Let me be clear, Israel, it still has a majority of miserdahij Jusey. I'm not suggesting the Israel's not a brown country, and the Israel doesn't have brown Jews the majority of Missadahim at this point. But my point is that Israel at its founding isn't an Arab country, and so being able to have to be an Arab territory and to have an Arab a non Arab country, there's your strategic outpost makes a lot of military sense.
Speaker 3: It it makes a lot of economic sense for the.
Speaker 1: United States, and of course for Israel, the United States serves a great purpose the military backing.
Speaker 3: It gives them money.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, there's a long history of the United States and the UK not wanting Jewish people here. So part of it was also animated by anti Semitism is that it was almost as if they said, look, we'll allow Israel to exist because we don't want Jewish people here. So the same so if you look at US immigration law through the twentieth century, they didn't want Jews here, they didn't want Irish people here, they didn't want Russians here. The lots of we were already here anal choice, but like they didn't want any of us here. And so part of why it was easy for the UK to get for the British to give Israel to to to the Zionist movement was because they didn't want Jews in Britain because of anti Semitism, and Americans didn't want them either, So part of the at the beginning was like, we don't want them here anyway. Now they've they've served strategic interests. Again, that's anti Semitic, it's deeply problematic, but that's part of the origin story of why we got into these political relationships that we got into. It's a two state solution. The solution I don't believe so, but I think it's up to Palestinians and Israelis to decide that. I want them to come up with a final analysis and a final plan that works for them. And I think the best plan that we could have is a one state solution. One country. Everybody gets one vote. It's secular. It's not a religious state. It's not a Jewish state, so it's not in Islamic state. It's just a secular democracy where everybody gets a vote. To me, that's fair, that's easy. Again, two state doesn't work because settlements. Two state doesn't work because Palestinians won't get their rights protected. So for me, it's a secular, democratic, one state solution. But you know what, it ain't up to me as an American taxpayer. All I want to do is not funded anymore. And I want the final plan to come from Israelis and Palestinians who can work together to figure out a plan. But that plan has to be one that has one thing that's not negotiable. The one not negotiable that it has to be is that it has to produce dignity, safety, justice, security, and self determination for every body. I don't want anybody to leave. I don't think anybody needs to leave. I think everybody needs to stay and get those rights, the justice, and that self determination. That's my that's my analysis. All right, Well, I hope we get there no more war.
Speaker 4: We appreciate you coming in and breaking it down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate everything about this show. I appreciate what y'all doing.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: The only thing I say real quick is Charlottmagne is trolling with that hat.
Speaker 1: I'm not. It's just repping my squad's all. Yeah, And this is what I mean, Like you got to pick a side, man, Like you know you're not from Dallas, like you literally signed with the enemy. But no, when I grew up in South Carolina, we didn't have a team. So like my dad and my granddad, they were all Cowboys fans. They're America's team.
Speaker 3: Do you see do you hear the propaganda?
Speaker 2: Well, at least earlier in the year, he was buying Super Bowl tickets and he was getting his hotels.
Speaker 3: But that's wh who do you want to see there?
Speaker 1: You would the halftime show? How Boys going to the Super Bowl? I did well? Probably up and up the stairs more question after question question. That's why you want me to ask nobody?
Speaker 4: But I asked them.
Speaker 1: I don't care he neither. I am interested in what go ahead. Jesus Christ. I didn't want that reaction, all right, Well he was bad, all right. Look I know what he said. I watch the sho every day. It was about I know what he said.
Speaker 3: I know what he said.
Speaker 1: It's the one time agree I actually hated to agree with him. You agree that they should say something? Yeah, hell yeah, they should say something. Really, if you are, it's yes, more Cali than Drake? Really, yeah, more Cali than Drake. Why because they never talk about social issues ever?
Speaker 3: I know, and I have an issue with that I have an issue with anybody.
Speaker 1: I don't think every famous person has to say something about everything, but if your people are being exterminated, if your people are being executed, if your people are being whatever its circumstances, I think you got to say something. He's like the most damn near the most famous Palestinian in the world. If I were the most famous black person, if any of us were the most famous black person in the world, the most famous Black person in the world, and black people were being killed in our country and nobody said anything, I would be deeply disturbed. I don't know what and the reason I'm not letting Drake off the hook, you know what I mean. There's plenty of reasons to have issues with driva Issus Drake the last month, but none of them about none of them political. It's all about the you know, his framing of gender and on his album and his treatment of everybody from Holly Buried you know, we going down list. That's another conversation. But for me, I don't know how Drake identifies in terms of his politics. I don't know how he identifies as a Jewish person. I don't know how he identifies. I know identifies racial as a black person, and so I don't know how connected he is ethnically, culturally, or politically to that issue.
Speaker 3: If he is, and he should speak up too, I just don't know.
Speaker 2: Drinks said he had a ball mince field when he was of age, and you know, yes, he talk about a.
Speaker 4: Lot of it.
Speaker 1: But but the problem is that argument presumes it because I'm Jewish that have to be pro Israel, and there are numerous Jewish people around the world are who are Jewish and not pro Israel.
Speaker 3: I don't think Drake has a responsibility pro to be pro Israel.
Speaker 1: I think I'd love for him to say something about it whatever wherever he stands on this issue.
Speaker 3: But Kyla, yeah, man, and yeah, it was none.
Speaker 1: Of those things either. Though Kyla is not connected culturally. I've seen him wear the coffee, I've seen him do stuff, yea, I've seen him be outside Palestinian. He don't lead with it because it's not great for business to walk around saying you're Palestinian.
Speaker 3: Someone argued that's that's a problem. I'm not here to judge that.
Speaker 1: All I'm going to say is I would have liked to hear him say something and The fact that the leading hip hop cop journalist Vlad and I on the same page on this issue should suggest to you how morally egregious it is that even that he and I are on the same page on this thing. When they do, though, what then what like? If they do then what like? What is that? I mean? I think that's always the question, right, I mean, like what happens when the NBA speaks out against such and such? Right? I do think that there's power in that. Part of it is awareness. There are people who will never watch this video. There are people and everybody watching the Breakfast Club, but just people who won't watch the Breakfast Club but will.
Speaker 3: Listen to DJ Kaled's Instagram story.
Speaker 1: That's why it matters. The same reason why when the NBA players wore hands up, don't shoot or Black Lives Matter, it mattered because they reached the sector of the world they wouldn't otherwise know that story. When Lebron and d Wade and Chris Paul said stuff, that shit mattered because people cared, you know what I mean? When Beyonce was talking about you know, you know, and again I didn't need her to give a press conference, but Beyonce did was extraordinary given her platform, and so and the difference is, there's a lot of.
Speaker 3: Black people that can speak.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of people who are Jewish who can speak. There's lots of people who are Indian who can speak. But how many people in the United States right now who are Palestinian have the platform in the calendars? Maybe Gigi Hadi maybe who spoke out right, there's one or two people, but in general, there's not really a space for that. So it's not just Calim for me, any any any of them who are Palestinian, any of them who are who have platform should speak up. And and I'm not putting that just on Pealastins. I'm saying that for black folks too. But I'm saying the stakes are even higher because it ain't but a Palestinians in Hollywood, you know, there's a million black folk.
Speaker 3: So I just feel like that you gotta do it.
Speaker 1: I guess if they want to, my thing would be past the microphone to somebody who know what they're talking about. I be okay with that. I be okay with that. If cal said, look, I don't know about this issue, but I want to bring these people together and make it happen, but he's he's moving as if it didn't happen, and it's weird to at least on social media, we don't know what he's doing behind the scenes. That's fair enough. I'm pretty connected to the Palestinian movement. I heard one person yet say that he's doing something. I ain't heard one. That's not to say he's not.
Speaker 3: I ain't heard one yet. But again, I'm not Palestinian.
Speaker 1: It's not my job to tell him what to do with his people or for his people. I'm just saying I share of lads disappointment that that I haven't heard anything from Calent and social media is reality for a lot of people. Call it gives us a narrative of his life, what's going on, what's going on world? And if you're selling a product while two thousand year people have been killed, fifteen hundred people have been killed, that feels that feels gross to me. It feels little gross to me, Like even if you didn't want to speak up, if if an all black neighborhood got bombed today and you said, I don't I Charlott Mayne, or if you don't feel like talking about it, I bet you wouldn't go in your story and be like yo, che check out my check out the trailer for my new documentary today on such and such, and check out my new book. You just you would have the decency to do nothing. And I'm saying part of what happens is when you move is if nothing is happening while the world is blowing up, I think it's it's it communicates even more so that this isn't worth caring about. We already have a media that does that. We already have an intellectual infrastructure that does that. We have a legal apparatus that does that. We don't need people who look like us doing it. That's all I'm saying. But that's again, Kyla might disagree, and I respect I would just respectfully disagree.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, Mark Lamont Hell, yes, it's the breakfast clubs.
Speaker 1: Sure you'll get them books too, man, except for Palestine. Wake that ass up in the morning. The breakfast club