Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season three, h nine, Episode four of Daily zight Gyday production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's disgusting, filthy, sick shared consciousness. It's Thursday, October nineteenth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Jack, You're gonna love this one. You're gonna love this.
Speaker 3: On National Kentucky Day, Hey for all you folks that are living out there, because that's a sick I call it the Wildcat State. But that's only because I'm thinking of UK. What is Kentucky?
Speaker 1: Know? The Bluegrass state?
Speaker 2: There we go, there we go.
Speaker 3: Also National Seafood Bisk Day, shout out to all my friends who I remember we went to Hamburger Hamlet and had crab bisk and I did the loudest part that they almost kicked us out.
Speaker 2: Also National lgbund and.
Speaker 1: Went through you that quickly. Are you blaming the seafood? I think it was.
Speaker 3: The massive amounts of cream in it and it just went like by the end, I like we were need to know. That was like it was like a Tim It was like a fucking I was gonna say Tim Ferris sketch. One of my favorite sketch raight. Yeah, I think you could be even four hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really the shit is really lazy because he only spends four hours a week on any of it. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was just like one of those times where like we just could not stop laughing from the amount of parting that was happening, and people.
Speaker 1: Were like, this is just rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never been like checked by a restaurant for parting, but here we are shout out to seafood bisks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's so appropriate that it's on the day of Kentucky, a place known for their seafood biscs.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, I think that's right.
Speaker 1: Anyways, my name's Jack O'Brien AKA, don't say it's p. It isn't fucking p. It's water, I please understand. And if you say it's pee, which it isn't fucking I might throw thousand, choke you out. Yeah, throw thighs. I might throw thighs is a fun Yeah, lockarnas, throw thighs. Yeah, catch these thighs full and choke you out with my coming at you fast. Anyways, I'm thrilled to be joined. That was Locarni on the Discord. Thank you for all of the aks, referencing the time that, as an adult I may have pissed my pants on a ride and blamed it on it being a.
Speaker 2: Whe LOCRONI has been hammering that theme. I've noticed on the Discord.
Speaker 1: Like out of a propos of nothing. It hasn't come up in like a year and a half. And he was like, Yeah, this guy's getting too big for he's presumably pe soaked riches. We're gonna take him back there. I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host mister Miles Greg Miles Gray.
Speaker 4: Ga.
Speaker 5: How get to fucking lamb Bow? How I get to fucking lamb Bow? Because I grind and I grind, and I grind and I grind.
Speaker 1: Now I get to.
Speaker 3: That's LAGERNI again, you got the micking me and now I'm jaggering it up.
Speaker 2: So shout out to you for that one.
Speaker 1: I was about to say that was fucking offensive, bro, but what the micking me? Oh yeah, no, no, Michael Jagger got it? Yeah my name, yeah it's gotta be anyway. Sorry, what you think his name is? Michael? Yeah it is it is Michael Jagger.
Speaker 3: Did that just fuck? Up your whole perception of him. You're like, damn, Micky, is I know Michael's that are anyway? Whatever, Michael Mouse this whole like my brain like, I'm not gonna be able.
Speaker 1: To talk for the rest of the episode. Discovering that Mickey and Mick are short for Michael. Wow, just wow, Miles. We are thrilled to be joined. So's Mills short for Miles like in Mills Lane, Like, you can't just change the vow sound. No, I think judge Mills Lane. His name is just Jake short for Jack. I mean, come on, like, what are we talking about? His name is Mills B Lane the third right, Okay? And also Mickey Rourke not a Mickey or a Michael. He's a film Mick is not short for Mike. So I'm just saying, all right, all right, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna allow it, Okay. I will not think of Mick Jagger as Michael Miles. We are thrilled to be joined, as always by a very funny stand up comedian raised in Pittsburgh. That's right. I've never met a bad person from Pittsburgh. That's not true, but I like, I generally like people people from Pittsburgh have met plenty, but generally the people I meet from Pittsburgh, including my life, are wonderful people. As Comedy Central Present Standard Special, truly hilarious. He just dropped a very funny sketch comedy album, funny songs and sketches, a lost art. Please welcome back to the show, the brilliant, the talented Joe quiz.
Speaker 2: Fellas. He sorry, I didn't prepare a song.
Speaker 1: I was brief.
Speaker 2: We'll give you a second.
Speaker 1: You prepared a number of songs on your new album, funny Songs and sketches.
Speaker 2: I don't very good transition. Yes you can.
Speaker 6: You can hear all my my silly little songs on the album There's I Love.
Speaker 2: I Love a comedy album.
Speaker 7: We were just saying, we're just saying this off my We're actually just talking of how much we missed the comedy, the sketches and songs albums of like you know, the heyday of like Adam Sandl Like I was like, I was, like, you know, my entry point into comedy was listening to fucking funny album and it's funny.
Speaker 3: How like everything just turned into like here's my stand up show and an album and it's like, but that's like your time to fucking do fun shit that you can't do on stage. And I think, yeah, I'm really looking forward to listening. I agree, thank you, Yeah, you know, and I listen. I love stand up.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of stand up albums out there being released constantly, and you know, I understand that the effort to do a stand up album is you just do your act and you record it.
Speaker 2: I get why that is the.
Speaker 6: Road most traveled by comedians, but I agree, it's like, I don't know, if you're gonna put something out, like, why not just do something that is for the format, right. That's what was so exciting to be, like, yeah, do funny songs and then we'll, you know, try to create a little little comedic soundscape with these sketches and stuff. And it was a ton of fun.
Speaker 3: And it's like one of those things too, like especially because so many musicians are so many comedians typically have some kind of musical bone in their body, like, you know, because they're both sort of timing arts. Like you always I'm always like just like I always love seeing that dimension of people too, and then like to combine it is always dope and you got some fucking amazing people on this album.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was very lucky to you know, Convince slash Trick, some funny people to lend their voices. H Nick Kroll, David Cross, Io A Debris, Indie Richter, Carl Tart.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I heard.
Speaker 1: Carl Tart in there. I was like, that's Carl Tart.
Speaker 2: That's unmistakably Carl.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You got Tim Baltz too, from Righteous Gemstones.
Speaker 1: It got it.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah yeah, Tim Baltz is what he's have no Tim for so long back in the our Chicago days.
Speaker 2: Really really funny guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing. Yeah. The first the everyone's gonna laugh at you is that? The the first Adam Sandler album like sketch comedy album. Is that the one with medium pace?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I believe so a medium pace made me laugh so hard it like changed the trajectory of my life when I was, you know, eleven years old.
Speaker 3: See, and it's funny because it was funny. We're just we're like four years apart Jack. So then I got in and What the hell happened to Me? Which was the album that came out in like three years after that one, and then yeah, it was all it was all downhill from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Joe, we're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're gonna tell our listeners a couple of things we're talking about today. We're gonna talk about there there have been some kind of quiet victories in the story on police violence and just like you know, horrible policing in these United States. Yeah, and so we're gonna talk about two of those, one having to do with the quote unquote medical condition excited delirium that came up has come up a lot in the course of just wrongful death and you know, unjust uses of force by the police, particularly against black men and brown people. So we're gonna talk about that. We're also gonna talk about New Orleans has accidentally made a really good case for defunding the piece. So no, uh, that's my impression of someone from New Orleans and Miles you you brought a profound question that needed to be asked. Man, what is happening with fridge manufacturers and the fridge magnet? They're abandon in it, they're going away, he said, we're both going it's and you like dug it, You dug into like what the reason is and it is like the most classiest bullshit it's ever seen, since it's so wild. They're trying to save us from ourselves from having cracky looking fucking it's crazy. This is wild. Yeah, so we'll talk about we might just have to talk about that like right away, but well, we'll get to it all that plenty more. We also have to give a shout out to the user who pointed out when we were talking about song sequels, pointed out that we missed one of my favorite songs of all time, Shook One's Part two.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: The reason I would say that I missed that. Oh wow, now we're doing excuses. I did not know it was an actual sequel. I did because I was not familiar with Shook One's Part one. Yeah, and I was like, noah, maybe it was just called shook ones. Like you don't call it chook One's Part one. Obviously didn't call it die Hard Part one when Diehard came out, But Shook One's the original didn't come out on the first album. No, Like it wasn't on that album came out. It was like Leonard Part six.
Speaker 2: Shook One's Part two is like there, I believe their debut single like they came out on Shook One's Part two, which I think is maybe maybe genius marketing.
Speaker 1: It is genius marketing, but I never it's like we have a depth of catalog. You're not even familiar with motherfuckers, right right right? Yeah, So enter the thirty sixth Chamber being the Wu Tang album.
Speaker 4: What about the thirty five previous so much listening to yeah, or you're gonna be like me when like the MC it's like, well, I can't get into this now if there's thirty five other chambers I need to listen to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, yeah, but it's I get I was trying to think of like a film corollary where there was a completely unknown first and then the second is the thing that hit, and I guess like Mad Max would be that.
Speaker 2: Like the generation Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, First, the first Mad Max was just like it came out in Australia and was like kind of you know, an underground success. And then they made like The Road Warrior, the one that like everybody eventually found out about, like with a budget, and it was kind of a remake of the first one, not really actually, but so yeah, maybe like yeah, it does have a corollary, but song sequels, I will still say somewhat rare.
Speaker 6: Have you guys ever seen or heard of Southland Tales? Yes, Richard Kelly follow up to Donnie Darko, Yeah, oh yeah right, rights. It's confusing for a lot of reasons, but one of them is that it's meant to be like parts four through six of a story that begins in a graphic novel series that was not released, but during the film festival when it premiered, they tried to give them out to people, unsuccessfully.
Speaker 1: They're like, you're gonna need to do some background reading.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is part The movie was parts four through six, but here here's one through six.
Speaker 2: You can kind of yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean like it worked with so I love Richard Kelly, like ambition to be like this is gonna be the next Star Wars, so like I started episode four. But the thing that people underestimate is Star Wars is so stupid, Like the first Star Wars is so simple, and like it's like dark dark side is bad dark and light is good. Now lie Stars, Yeah, to do some Wars. Like when it's that simple, you can get away with doing like a four, five, six to kick things off, but yeah, not Richard Kelly's busts. Yeah, God bless him. All Right, before we get to any of it, Joe, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 2: Recently?
Speaker 6: I searched oreo Most Stuff and that's stuff stuf. Are you guys familiar with the different tiers of stuff that Oreo is now fucking with? I mean I thought it ended a double Oh no, you you were going to beautiful awakening here, so obviously double stuff was changed the game, you know, a complete paradigm shift.
Speaker 2: But they didn't stop there. They after that.
Speaker 6: They have something called mega stuff, okay, which you know is just as you can imagine more stuff and.
Speaker 1: Given too much stuff, some would say, yeah.
Speaker 2: You might, but some of us live dangerously.
Speaker 6: Mega stuff you can get in the stores pretty readily now, but yeah, now.
Speaker 1: Stuff you have to go behind the grocery store into the alley most They've got most stuff, and the amount of stuff is obscene.
Speaker 6: And my girlfriend and I saw it when we were in Oklahoma and we were like, oh, they've got most stuff. Now we got to try that. And now that we're back in La we are having a hard time finding it. And so I'm I'm doing the work and I'm a to find this. That is what people mean when they use that phrase as as I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, doing the work of trying to find the most stuff I think they are. They look to be available on Amazon.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can get them on fuck Amazon. Amazon.
Speaker 6: You can get them on a website called Galactic Snacks, which I just did a gigantic purchase of and did not order the Oreo Most Stuff because I assumed i'd be able to find it. This happened in between my discovering they existed and realizing they're not available near me.
Speaker 1: They look like they are Oreo cookies smashing a marshmallow. Like that's how big the stuff is.
Speaker 3: One cookie as eleven grams. Hell yeah, let's go. So you eat five of those and you've already hit your daily sugar limit.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and I will. Those are just that's just like.
Speaker 1: The FDA's opinion. Man, that's just like your opinion. Do you have a so my contention for me, I guess it's not a contention, it's just my personal you know, taste is the optimum amount of cookie two stuff ratio is big macking two Oreos together? So you pull one of the cookie sides off and you put it on top of another oreo, so you have three cookie two stuff ratio and then a lucy with with no creams. Yeah, and then you just have the lucy and you just you have that as in a mouse boosh, as a muz boosh. You but you sprinkle it over your cereal the next morning. You can just you can just put it in like a plastic baggy and just crunch it up and that that becomes an ingredient for future ice cream treats.
Speaker 2: You know it's gonna stop you. Yeah. Wait, so how do we get region locked out of getting most stuff? Like you're saying you saw it in the wild in Oklahoma, Like, come you come to California and then you're like, I can't fucking find it anywhere.
Speaker 6: This is something I will be reaching out to Newsome will be very strongly worded and yeah in my letter for all the California bashing that Sean Hannity does, this is like really easy I think to get people like turned up on. They're like, you know they can't even have most stuff Oreoles, that's how much these snowflake I'm like, yeah, that's it's.
Speaker 1: Got a damn point right there.
Speaker 6: What I was able to determine is, and I've never done this before. I'm not a door dash guy. It's just not something I do. But I could order it for there's a pickup option option for door Dash where you can go to I think their warehouse or something, and it's in downtown. And I considered ordering two dollars worth of most stuff cookies and then picking it up. But I'm not there yet. I didn't make it to that point, but it's probably around the corner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, embrace it, just embrace it. Yeah, is double stuff? Do you have a like preferred ratio of cookie?
Speaker 2: I think I think I think double stuff is probably the right amount.
Speaker 1: Yeah, double stuff.
Speaker 2: And there's also if you go in the other direction, you've got the fins. If you've seen the Oriel fins, that's way too little.
Speaker 6: But for some freaks, you know, let them let their flag fly with the fins exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going.
Speaker 1: Deep dish style with my oreoles for sure.
Speaker 3: Like I feel like to the point where I whenever I recently I bought them, I'll just buy double stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that's really the standard for me at this point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we've calibrated to double stuff being saying deep dish style though makes me think of like a cookie with then just the a lot of cream on top and then you cut into it with a knife and eat it.
Speaker 2: No top cookie at all. Yeah pie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, shocking that Oreo pie is not like just a straight up Oreo cookie crust filled just with the thing to the brim with stuff.
Speaker 2: Baby, that's we're onto something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean that's pretty gross like to even imagine, but I would try it for sure. What uh, Joe.
Speaker 6: What's something you think is over it? Las Vegas? A lot of friends who Las Vegas is a destination. First time I went, I was like, I cannot believe how much of a scam this openly is.
Speaker 2: Like I like, they're really not.
Speaker 6: Hiding it, you know, they're they're selling the high roller lifestyle to people who can't afford it, and those people are hopping it up like dogs, And it's really it almost doesn't even feel like deception because it's it's all there. You can all the information is there. You will go and you will lose a ton of money with the promise, with a very American promise that you could get rich, buying into the system that is built specifically to take everything you have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it. Luck be a lady to night.
Speaker 2: Hey, you win with that attitude, Joey. Let me tell you something. Let me tell you.
Speaker 3: You gotta lose three hundred to make three hundred.
Speaker 2: You know what I meant to lose.
Speaker 1: Money to make money. You gotta lose two hundred.
Speaker 2: You never were in the game, pal, You.
Speaker 1: Gotta lose your children's entire college funds to make children's college.
Speaker 3: At a blackjack table already, and I'm like, yeah, ude, I'm broke. They're like, you gotta lose, like you know, you gotta lose come out three hundred to start winning. I'm like that sounds a fucking wild, dude, Like I think I was like reckless even cashing in like a hundred bucks here.
Speaker 2: Right, No, totally.
Speaker 6: And I'm also like really astounded by how not I mean, like we were affecting that kind of rat packing voice. But you go into a casino and there's there's nothing classy about it. It's just like a bunch of flashing lights. Everything is like a giant iPhone, you know.
Speaker 1: It's Yeah, you don't then iPhones that take your money.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's like huge screens where at least I don't know, maybe at one point there was a charm and you can still like pull a level if you want, but most.
Speaker 2: Of it is digital. Yeah, just gaudy and not like you kind of want.
Speaker 6: I mean I would want like, oh, let's get a little bit of a little bit of velvet, a little this, and maybe you get that some places, but for the most part, it's all just really yellow and gross.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so funny, Like I have such a I used to go there a lot when I was younger, you know, because I was just kind of into like, you know, a lot of my friends are just into that, like it's going Vegas.
Speaker 1: Man, right.
Speaker 3: And then I hadn't gone for a few years, and then Jack and I recently went over the summer to go see like the NBA Summer League, and it was like surreal, where like I was feeling like I was watching like an old part of myself die while I was there, and also seeing like a new future from us, Like I was like, wait, these smells, Like I used to be blacked out in these lobbies, like not knowing what was going on, and now I'm like, uh, it feels a little different.
Speaker 1: I just is it an underage drinking destination, like when you live three hours from it? Cause like I when I was in high school, I drove to from Boston to Montreal to to get fucked up.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah nah, I mean that's how my problem was.
Speaker 3: It was just like to Joe's point, like it was like I was on that Mirage ship where I'm like, let's go to Vegas. Now I only have circus circus money, so like to stay there. So like for sure the place I'm gonna stay is so fucked up that I'm just gonna be so fucked up that I don't have to go back to that room until like four in the morning.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And But at the same time, like I was always like feeling myself when I was there because I was putting so much like weight into like partying in Vegas and stuff.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Hey, but you can drive a Lambo out there and shoot a fucking machine gun, so yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: That's all that matters. Got me right back, That's all I want to do. When I wake up in the morning, I wake up quaking with just a desire to shoot a machine gun out of the window of a Lambo and drive by. Yeah, what's uh, what's something you think is underrated? Joe?
Speaker 2: Math?
Speaker 6: Now, I feel like, and it might be a distinctly American thing, but I feel like it has almost become hacky to be like, hey, I'm not good with math. Actually, little thing about me? Yeah, actually I don't do math.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean like I was never going at math.
Speaker 1: Oh God, maybe a bad at math actually leads directly to my enjoyment of Las Vegas. I will see these.
Speaker 2: Things might be counted now that we get into it. I think they might be.
Speaker 6: But you know, I feel like we are we are taught math in a pretty bad way. I think it has made out to be more difficult than it actually is. And we have such a weird hang up about math because you know, famously our country has ranked pretty low when it comes to our kids doing math, and so recently they have tried to change this. Do you ever see those like viral posts where a parent is like, look what they're trying to teach. They're trying to teach my kid math. I knows how to do math. Okay, this ain't it. It's like it's just math, yeah, common core, and like clearly we are trying to address a problem. Like we can all agree everybody hates math and we're not good at it, and so they try to change it to make it a little bit more intuitive. And those same people who are like, I'm not good at math, they see it.
Speaker 3: They're like, yeah, a friend of mine showed me her son's math homework, like in a text with some other friends, and she's like, she's like I'm She's like, I'm realizing that we were were fucking dumb, like with the way like she's like, this makes more sense. I was like totally, I'm so said in my old ways of how I like conceptualized numbers and things that, like I can't move on to that. But when I saw that, I was like, oh, interesting, Like I think just through brute force, I was just like memorizing relationships to numbers totally. And that's why I was decent at math, because like my memory recall was good and really not because I was like, oh, this is how they go together, and I'm like seven and a five always make a two, you know what I mean, Like just stuff like that was how I was seeing it.
Speaker 2: But you, yeah, and.
Speaker 6: That's not how like I'm similar, Like I was pretty decent at that memorization, but like you, you really want to think more. And I think what they're doing is like seven and five. You take the three from the five, make that seven to ten and then ten and two makes sense right right right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I got yeah, Like if you want to picture how math works for me, just like picture the parts and like beautiful mind where there's like a cloud of numbers just going around the head like it's all but you still is all so easy for me, guys, It's just it fucking every time someone asked me to do math, I do the good will hunting hunting thing. I light this shit on fire. I say, you have any idea how easy this is for me? And that helps me then not have to do the math problem, right, which I'm not.
Speaker 2: I just love the idea though, that you do see all the numbers floating in space, but it's just so disorienting. Yeah, like flies, yeah, like the you swatting that man.
Speaker 1: Very unbautiful mind I have, but yeah, I have a Well, one of my sons is a math guy. He just like it's always made sense to him. That's great, he like excitedly like told me a trick he like figured out for doing, like adding big numbers this morning. And I was like, wow, that's I was never excited, Like.
Speaker 3: All right, you know, didn't I teach you not to be showing off all the thout.
Speaker 1: I raised than that? I said, not to make daddy look dumb like that. Some reason I thought common the common core thing was called new math, and it was being spelled in my brain and you.
Speaker 2: Met, Yeah, for sure, why wouldn't any I'm just saying, if he wanted to catch on, maybe try listening to a marketing genius and spell it.
Speaker 1: And you math.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apply the puddle of my rules to me, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back. We got two stories that are kind of small, under the radar victories in the war against unpunished rampant police violence. Yeah, yeah, yeah. So one of them involves a medical condition rute unquote medical condition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I use quote unquote because this is something called excited delirium that has been used to rationalize or justify or explain the deaths of people that have been in police custody. And it shows up like a lot as the cause of death on the death certificates of you know, disproportionately of black men that have died in police custody. And it's now being debunked by the same medical group that was like being like, yeah, it's a fucking thing. And now the state of California has explicitly banned doctors and medical examiners from using the term as a cause of death, which is which is a some somehow a breakthrough for for our justice system. But like recently it was it was used to explain the death of if you remember that innocent young black man Elijah McClain who was choked and then he was dosed with ketamine when police custody.
Speaker 2: The cause of his death was listed as.
Speaker 3: You know, excited delirium, and the term has been used like for decades and like even Derek Chauvin's defense team considered using it to explain how George Floyd died. And the fucked up thing is this condition has again it's disproportionately used to describe like the deaths or explain the deaths of black and brown people in police custody. Like in the eighties, they would be like, Okay, this black guy died in police custody, that will call it excited delirium. This white guy it was complications from cocaine toxicity. Like it was that like sort of like fifty to fifty with stuff of how things are being explained. And typically these deaths result after someone is being violently restrained by police and or taste and or sedated with ketamine. And like the description of excited him sounds like a fucking racist psa from like the fucking reconstruction era about like the dangers of the black person, it says, according to the two thousand and nine paper, excited delirium symptoms include superhuman strength, being impervious to pain, aggressive behavior, and sudden death.
Speaker 1: And you're like, what the fuck wait what hate sudden death? Yeah, just throw a sudden death in there. But first of all, superhuman strength is not a thing that a human can have, Like that's what, what the fuck are you talking Like, that's from a work of fiction, superhuman strength, Like you're yes.
Speaker 2: Detective Comics number one both.
Speaker 1: Write impervious to pain, aggression. It's just like we we look back at like hysteria and wandering uterus and we're like Wow, those people sure were dumb the eighteen hundreds and how they treated women, And it's like, no, you we live in a time like that, Like that is happening regularly every day. They're using fucking pseudoscience, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to make things worse. Like, so one of like the like the most dominant manufacturers of Taser's axon, like they make body cameras and shit, they have connections with the like medical board that was tasked with looking into excited delirium because taser manufacturers always point to excited delirium to explain how someone could have died when their weapons were used during someone being in police custody. They're like it's like their go to thing. So like there's been a whole like lobbying effort on the on the behalf of the taser industry to also get this to become like a commonplace explanation for people dying in police custody. So again it's also this this whole sort of quote unquote medical condition has been used to justify sedating people with ketamine again, which is terrible, right and again, and the group that first began to legitimize the term, the American College of Emergency physicians. They're now reversing course on this previously published study, So it's a first step. Obviously, California is the first state to like explicitly ban this on. Maybe other places will follow suit, But I mean this has been something that like in the medical community, there's been a lot of pushback on there, Like, I mean, I don't know if you can really get away with saying this is like a thing, and it's been we're now finally getting to that place where it seems like it's becoming more mainstream to say this is fucking nonsense and it's just it's a terrible justification for death and police custody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just a rationalization to kill innocent people in custody.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and the term itself really does Like in twenty twenty three, you're like, this sounds like a movie from the forties where like Carry Grant slaps a woman and it's like, you're hysterical. Yeah, they go to what doctor. It's like, well, I believe she's has excited delirium.
Speaker 1: The doctor's played by Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, Well, she has excited delirium.
Speaker 2: Then will have to lock her away for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she needs not.
Speaker 8: To meet immediately so much so much of the police, the ship that the police rely on, like whether it be like, you know, their tactics for solving crimes, for quote unquote solving.
Speaker 1: Crime, Like they're so fucking bad at their jobs in so many different ways, with all ways that have been in ways that have been completely scientifically debunked, and they're still doubling down on them like it's it's wild. So that leads right into this next story from New Orleans. So, New Orleans was the quote murder capital of America in twenty twenty two, and since then, in the year twenty twenty three, they have been seeing a massive drop in murders. Homicides have fallen by twenty four percent compared to this time last year, and according to experts, it's not exactly clear why. Like experts love to take a guess when the answer is when they when their guesses like think, I think we need more cops or something. But in this case, in this case, the experts are like, god, we're not we're not clear here. We gotta take pump the brakes on this one. But yeah, so it's not just homicides aggregated aggravated batteries have fallen by twenty percent. Non fatal shootings are down eighteen percent, and it would lead the brain, a brain such as mine raised on movies where cops are the fucking protagonists, Like what's going on here? Are did they put more cops on the street? Are there better cops? What's happening? And the answer is no, they're way less cops. The New Orleans PD has been steadily hemorrhaging officers for more than a decade because of early retirements and a lack of people wanting to actually be a New Orleans cop basically so and they only have around nine hundred officers for a sixteen hundred officer police department. They've lost twenty percent of their workforce in just the last three years alone. They're just like they're at crisis levels to the point that the mayor is not funding their department like they want to be increased, Like, well, who's the money gonna go to? Yeah, he's not funded. Yeah at the levels that it normally is. They're still way overfunded, but they're just not being funded at the full levels because they have like almost half the number of officers that they're supposed to have and so less cops on the street, crime is going down. The police are actively trying to boost their numbers by and this is just so, this is why this is such an interesting thing because it's happening in like a panic to the police. It's not like a pilot program being launched by non police forces. Police. Yeah, Like, it's not a pilot program that the police can then sabotage and like get their hands around, like fucking with it and you know, bake, like messing with the numbers. It's something that the police are involved with because they're in a desperate situation because they don't have enough police and so because of that, they're trying a lot of the things that people have been suggesting we do instead of like just overfunding police forces, such as hiring unarmed civilians to respond to less risky police duties. So they're like they have former police unarmed people showing up when there's like a car accident, for instance, and those things don't get escalated into a shooting like they might otherwise. They're trying to poach people from the church through setting up recruitment events at a local seminary.
Speaker 6: Well, yes, it's wild that this is working in of all places New Orleans where in my experience, a person off the street is holding a yard's worth of frozen dacream and screaming where's the jazz, And that those people are decidedly more qualified to de escalate than the police is really saying something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and I tell you fair. My catchphrase is where's the jazz? Where's the jazz? Do like to enter a room and just say that while giving jazz?
Speaker 2: Hands you dressed like one of the ladies from the Wendy's commercial, You're like, you get it. I'm not saying where's the beef. I'm saying, word's it? Anyway?
Speaker 3: But like, I think this points again to like you're saying, like alternatives to policing are about like the like community intervention, about being able, like the community itself being able to like that knows each other can solve certain things better than an armed goon squad that pulls up and just like, oh is it this guy? Okay, gets your hands up, like you know what I mean? Like it doesn't. It's just not working the same way. But I just love again that they're like, oh my god, the numbers are going down. How do you explain and they can't be and it's not like, well we have less, we got nothing. We're still looking into it. It could mean that we're basically maybe funding some programs better too.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because yeah, no, it cuts the whole fucking narrative that we rely on.
Speaker 1: But I really think there's something like when it is coming from outside the police force and the police view it as a like opponent, they will like fuck with it. But in this case, because it's coming out of crisis and because they just like can't hire people like I, it seems like it's being allowed to do what it does, which is like actually make people's lives better. Like we we talked about the thing of the idea of just like some people. Instead of having armed police, you have just some people, just like people who are able to use their brain to help solve problems, like and who are put in this position because they have empathy. And you know, it's not like a thing where they are going into this position because they want to be able to legally carry a gun and shoot people, but instead they are interested in solving helping their fellow like citizens solve problems in their lives. Like this has been a long term thing in Eugene, Oregon that has worked really well, and like when you read accounts of it, it's not complicated. It's like this person is under the influence. They're having a disagreement with their partner, and so this person like comes and like gives them a ride somewhere to like get them out of the situation, and like they're too drunk to drive somewhere, and so it's just like it's like, what is just like being a member of the community, and it's not that complicated. It's just it becomes complicated when the person you're putting in that category is a police officer with a fucking gun, who is like, you know, part of an institution that has just been like baking and basting in fucking racism for decades and decades and decades.
Speaker 2: Also, like the conflict resolution model of a police officer is hey, do this thing. I'm saying, no, get your fucking hands up. It's like what, yeah, Like.
Speaker 3: It's so funny when you watch like police interactions in other countries and like, you know, I was like, Wow, I'm amazed with the patience of this police officer because I'm like in my mind, I'm like, yeah, man, just fucking get your gun out right, like and just fucking threaten them. Yeah, and the fact that that kind of like sequence of escalation doesn't happen, I'm sure leads to a lot of better outcomes. But yeah, more than that, I mean, like I think too, this is part of the larger trend that you know, violent crimes have been like went down.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty two too. Yeah, and this is like part of the whole crime wave shit that was twenty twenty three. Like, crimes have been going down, and the only thing just the caveat there is hate crimes and property crimes have gone up a lot though, that's the fucked up part.
Speaker 2: Violent crimes and things like that have decreased, but hate crimes and property crimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's so some people are like, well, like, yeah, the pandemic and crime and like murders spiked during the pandemic. But like, when you look at the explanation for what actually happened during the pandemic, the thing that most like non biased experts seem to have settled on it was it was it was that it was things like after school programs and these non police programs where like community members get involved in like the lives of at risk youth, and like they have programmed like the sorts of things that like you that aren't sexy, that aren't staffed by people with the same job as every like action movie protagonist. You know, they're staffed by like social workers and things like that. So like they don't get they don't make movies about them, but they are actually functional. And though like the police didn't stop working during the pandemic, like their numbers have gone down and continued to go down, but that that has actually had a benefit effect on crime. The thing that went away during the pandemic and has since come back are programs like for instance, like the New Orleans story, there's like this summer work program for young people. So because they can't hire enough cops, like it just purely by accident, New Orleans can't hire enough cops because everyone's like, no, fuck that, why would I want to be a fucking New Orleans police officer, they have money left over to invest in this thing, this summer work program for young people, and so last year it employed one thousand people instead of the usual two hundred, and like that's the sort of thing that you actually see have an impact, like and yeah, it's just the way people talk about this. They're like, oh, well, the reason the numbers are going down is because of there was a spike during the pandemic. It's like, yeah, but like the explanation, like the accepted explanation among experts that is like very clear cut, is not the one that you're going that you're going with, Like, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Don't like that because but because then that's going to lead people to think we don't need as many cops. It was actually our social media team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's another one, Bridgeport, Connecticut that Miles is referencing, has similarly seen a significant decrease of violent crime since they've been short sixty officers. Again, this is like I'm sure it's a number of factors, but just remember during the pandemic, all the cops being like they you don't like me, Well, I don't like you, and I'm not coming you. I'm not coming back. I retire. And then so as these likes have retired, Yeah, like the way adult space, they do have their arms crossed and then alternate between arms crossed and plugging their ears, but they you know, so as there have been less officers, crime continues to go down like across the country. And this Mayor Joe Gannon of Bridgeport, Connecticut, he did not say, and we're not sure. We're still looking into it. He actually has an explanation, and it is that the department's social media presence has gone up.
Speaker 6: Some good tiktoks, yeah, some solid, solid tweets. I mean, that's real police work.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always said this.
Speaker 3: And knowing like when anytime I've seen a police like social media presence, it's always a Facebook group, you know what I mean? And I'm sure that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, man, they were were posting crime updates and we're showing people what we're doing to build trust on your Facebook group, and people are commenting that the engagement is Yeah.
Speaker 3: One guy said I'm gonna stop dealing drugs because of this update. I mean, folks, this ship is working. Our Facebook group is working.
Speaker 1: There's a New York Times op edge this year that pointed to a small town where half the force quit and crime dropped again. Like it's just I don't know, it's pretty straightforward, and people don't want it to be as straightforward as it as it is.
Speaker 2: It would seem and I mean obviously, like you know, it's we don't know the exact relationships, but my god, if that's not damning. When it's like I don't know, in a lot of these examples and there's less of you, people are safer, Yeah, kind of weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's add more of you. Yeah right, And yeah, it's like that there was that Biden thing where he came out and was like, we don't need to we don't need less police, we need more police. I mean, dang, we we rely on our police to be our therapists are psychiatrists, sorrow marriage counselor. It's like, that's the fucking problem. That is the problem. You're only funding this one thing that is bad at all of it's our teachers are nurses. Yeah, that's the problem. So yeah, I don't know. It just seems like the people I feel like who are against, you know, defunding police like one the argument or won the battle for definitions, and they're like, defund the police equals chaos, But no, defund the police means less funding for police and more funding for programs that actually work that don't like send armed maniacs out to the scene of every conflict in your.
Speaker 2: Community, and more money for social media too.
Speaker 6: And more like that, how much more clear about Facebook ads?
Speaker 2: That's the key, My god.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about the war on refrigerator maguck, oh my god, and or back. And this is something I've noticed, like for a while now, I had my past two refrigerators are both metallic on the outside and will not take a.
Speaker 2: Hostile towards magnets.
Speaker 1: Hostile towards magnets.
Speaker 3: Now, you know, you you've been working a bit longer than I have, so I'm not I've not quite reached the heights of.
Speaker 2: A non magnetic refrigerator.
Speaker 3: But the other day I was at a friend's house who had just body new refrigerator, very sleek, very modern.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, yeah, this ship looks really cool, Like it goes with your fucking kitchen.
Speaker 6: I guess, are we talking one of the ones that opens from the center, oh French stor yes, French story, yes, friend, sure so you can open both of them and just yeah, yeah, exactly, that's that's that new ship. And apparently like they're better more spun know. They were preaching the gospel about French store refrisgerators.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I noticed there was a fucking pile of refrigerator magnets on the counter next to the fridge, and I was like, oh, yeah, what's up with that. They're like, oh yeah, it's not magnet friendly. And I'm like, what the fuck are you talking about? And I apparently this is a newer a thing with newer refrigerators and has like slowly gaining more traction to the point where like it's more often than not new refrigerators are not magnet friendly. And I'm like, is there a magnet shortage? Like, is there a supply chain issue that's like fucking up the like the ability to put in magnet friendly materials. No, the companies that build our modern ice boxes have basically made a call, and it's that magnets are tacky bullshit. Yeah, And they say that it takes away from the high end look that many customers are looking for.
Speaker 2: And most people want nice finishes, sleek looks in their kitchen. It's just not going with the design aesthetic. This senior manager of marketing for a refrigerator manufacturer said that covering a fridge with magnets is quote a little low brow.
Speaker 1: Fuck you fuck you, fuck you, fuck you do.
Speaker 6: It's also like it's a it's an option, like having magnet does it not mean that.
Speaker 2: The magnets will necessarily go on? There?
Speaker 6: You are giving the consumer the choice to use a magnet should they want to lead what the magnet company is calling a low brow life, right, Yeah, and they can. But if they feel you can be uh you know, a complete uh you know, uh up your own ass high society person and have a magnetic refrigerator and pretend it's not magnetic, just don't put a magnet on it.
Speaker 1: Exactly right.
Speaker 2: It's like, are these people who are asking for this like so fucking hooked on magnets.
Speaker 1: They're like, hey, man, don't give me a magnet friendly friends, Man, I'm a fuck up my life.
Speaker 6: I have to I can't sell myself.
Speaker 9: I've been to the fucking grand tee tongs. Put that one up there, like with my veggas one a under paper. Yeah, this one's a bottle opener. Like I just don't fucking understand. It's like, you know, it's like making a car that is it sticker friendly because people like a high end life, Like I don't have stickers on my car.
Speaker 1: I chose a bumper stick fan. But yeah, but like that I don't need, Like I don't need.
Speaker 3: I'm not being like, hey man, what I need is a car that is chemically treated to not bond with adhesives.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna cover that fucker.
Speaker 2: Like what the fuck are we doing? Like it's like Elon Musk that, Yeah, I could see Musk doing that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I bet he's like he's probably got a bumper sticker.
Speaker 2: On his heathers, not Elon or something on it. Something hilarious. Yeah, exactly. It's like, and it's me, I don't even hint the windows because I think it's son.
Speaker 1: It is actually my favorite comedian comedy writer. He's so funny. Yeah him a little bit of Genghis Khan a little low brow, is so fucking wild.
Speaker 2: It's disgusting, Like it really is class warfare, Like what do we do aesthetic warfare on people? It's like you don't even get the fucking option to fuck this thing up with it, Like the bridge since I've been alive in my family's home here, how my family, like the refrigerators in my family's houses in Japan.
Speaker 3: We magnetue are universal. It's a bulletin board. Yeah, it's a central message board of a home.
Speaker 1: And now, like you know, I haven't had a magnetic fridge in a while, and.
Speaker 2: Me and my wife no longer talk to each other.
Speaker 1: We don't have any way to communicate.
Speaker 6: These are stories that are happening across America again and again and again.
Speaker 2: I don't even know my kids names.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because everybody else, Yeah, everybody gets to check the artwork on the fridge and like, look for the kid's name. I'm always stumped, man, I'm always like this guy, this, this is my guy right here, this guy, this guy, this guy, this guy. Who is this guy knows? Seriously, what's this? Who is this guy?
Speaker 2: It's me dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I have been invited to many weddings now that I just have not remembered the date of this problem. I've missed so many of my my close friends and family's weddings and it's just uh assess the end.
Speaker 2: It's heartbreaking. It's absolutely heartbreaking. I missed my own wedding.
Speaker 1: It's just like.
Speaker 3: Wild when you hear this shit and like how this is like becoming an industry standard And I'm like, like, am I the.
Speaker 2: Fucking battie here? But no, they're fucking with us, Like I do really understand. It's like you're to your point, Jo, you have the fucking option to put it on, so I don't understand.
Speaker 6: You can pretend it's not magnetic if you if you want to do that, just don't put a magnet on it. Then you're accomplishing the goal. I'm sorry that the fucking CEO or whatever basically said it's a little poor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our brand, you look poor.
Speaker 1: What you're doing with your refrigerator, with our refrigerator makes you look poor and by extension us poor, and we will not allow it. We don't sell to Yes, I bet there's like, I bet there's like a market it, Like I bet Malcolm Gladwell like has a fucking chapter of a book about like how this is brilliant because they like realized that, you know, by getting rid of the things, it showed off like a sleek look when friends came over and helped them reach the tipping point of advertising their sleek refrigerators to others. You know, Like it's like one of those fucking galaxy hybrow galaxy brain classist bullshit things like how do you teach?
Speaker 3: Like I learned how to fucking spell with those stupid eighties fucking plastic letter fridge magnet.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I remember sitting in front of my fucking refrigerator like as a kid in like just rearranging the fucking like and spelling shit and stuff, and like my mom getting mad, Like these are seminal fucking experiences for human beings.
Speaker 1: Don't understand. I just don't understand.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there goes your calendar. How are you gonna check out jazz Fusion band? Excited de Leiria on the New Orleans Exactly where's the jazz?
Speaker 2: Jazz?
Speaker 1: And this is why I am find myself frequently asking that question. I don't have a place.
Speaker 6: You don't have it, exactly. Your friends won't let you know where the jazz is?
Speaker 2: Yea forever.
Speaker 1: Well, Joe, such a pleasure having you on the Daily Ze, so blast thanks for having me. Guys, where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I'm at Joe Quah, Joe Kwa on TikTok and Instagram, Joe k Jokay on Twitter, And those are the places where I am hawking. The album funny songs and sketches, which you can listen to on wherever you listen to music, Spotify you can, you can go ahead and buy it on the label's website or Apple or whatever. It's a it's a throwback to the things that we love that don't exist anymore. It's a lovingly crafted album of sketches and songs, and I think I think the listeners will enjoy it. So please check that out. And you can see all my other stuff on the links on those things. I already said. So I've got a lot of sketches and stand up and I try to provide a lot of content for the people there.
Speaker 1: You go, yeah, NonStop, kind of a fond of content. That is what every artist aspired to be called. Uh content creator? What? Uh is there a work of media that you've been enjoying? Man?
Speaker 6: Work work of media is an interesting way of putting it, because I know tweet was also part of this prompt, and I gotta say media. I gotta say the thing like.
Speaker 1: A flower moon or a or a tweet, you know.
Speaker 6: Oh, Man, the thing that I keep going back to, and I feel like it doesn't quite fit the criteria for this because it is a work of evil, but it is the uh that Disney movie prom packed that was using insert that that like the first thing I've noticed where people are inserting digital scans. Have you guys seen this? It's a it's like, oh yeah, yeah, it's AI background actors.
Speaker 2: It's in a gym.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you cut to the bleachers and it is the most like, it's fucking horrifyingly captivating thing because I cannot believe as opposed to just not putting anyone in there, which would have been fine, they put like sub like N sixty four wrestling video game avatars and they're like class hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking at it right now, Like the hair of the one like the most visible woman in the background, it looks like like a Smeegel mannequin.
Speaker 6: It's unreal, fucked And so I guess that is to that is to say, please hire real people, yes.
Speaker 1: When they're like so that you can just use that.
Speaker 6: But I you know, I think actually these these I mean, I want to know more so that we can put an end to it. But I also want to know more because I'm fascinated, Like these were people and then.
Speaker 2: Something happened. We weren't you know.
Speaker 1: If they showed like the people And that's exactly what they look.
Speaker 2: We're just dunking on these ugly freaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: A lot of people were quote tweeting that video and be like, hey, please I off my friend. She's just trying to start her career. It's like, yeah, but this is good.
Speaker 6: This on some level, this is good because this will help to turn the tide against this kind of bullshit. If it was good looking, then there's like an argument for like, Okay, well, you know certain you know, blue check mark. Folks on Twitter might be like, actually, this is efficient or whatever. Now that we see how awful and scary looking it is, I think we can try to steer the ship away from this permanently.
Speaker 2: It's like, is that a character from Resident Evil on Plastic.
Speaker 1: Solar Express Caliber or Polar Express Caliber.
Speaker 2: Solar Express coming soon? That's right, I trained to the Sun.
Speaker 1: Directly into the sun and everybody dies on impact.
Speaker 2: I would do that. With the way that people looked on the poor Express, I did kind of want to shoot him.
Speaker 1: Ye, send those motherfuckers directly into the heart of the sun. I would feel so much better if that was how that film ended. All of these monstrosities just got shot into the heart of the world. They don't even there's no evidence that they ever existed. Yeah, Miles, where can people find you as their working media? Yeaheah, find me at Miles of Gray.
Speaker 3: Wherever they got the ad symbols, find us in the basketball podcast Miles and Jack got mad Boo boost season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has been a fun preseason. There's been a fun couple episodes of Boosty's. We are very excited about Victor Wimming Yama Yama. He's very good, folks. He really does I mean the creative player like metaphor truly, I think is what it feels like. It's just getting more wild the longer we get to see him play. Like obviously it's still pre season, but holy shit, man, fuck that caveat bro it's houcked that cabin. We're here, we're seeing it. We're going to the sun right now and let's see. Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: If you like ninety day Fiance, have another show called four to twenty Day Fiance with Sophie Alexandra and check out The Good Thief, which is about the Greek robin hood robbing the rich and given to the poor. Tweet I like is from at Nile Lift and I H I L I F t Diego Lopez from Now tweeted one time on a first date, she asked me if I was more into cats or dogs, and I said, oh no, I don't eat meat, which is the lame joke.
Speaker 2: But I thought it was cute enough. But she started crying and I had to get her a car home.
Speaker 1: Perfect. That's pretty good. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. What am I enjoying? What's the what's the art I've been enjoying? I like the shirts that go hard shirt that says vaccines don't cause autism? I do. It's got a guy with like a lot of skull rings wearing it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Anyways. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeikeeist. We're at the Daily zike Geist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website Daily zeikeist dot com where we post our episodes and our footnotes, where we link off the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as the image from Prompact. We'll link off to that and a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, what's the song do you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 2: Oh Man, The Unforgiven Too by Metallicon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did not know that that song existed, let alone Part three.
Speaker 3: Uh, this track is called Mama Yo Mama Yo m A m a Wio and it's by this group called Pigeon And they're like the singers like from West Africa and like the backing band is like fucking staff. Like these are people that have played with like Lil Sims, Cleo Soul. These are all like artists we've gone out on Salt s A U L T. And together they're like it's like really really dope.
Speaker 2: Bam. This track kind of it's like it sounds like.
Speaker 3: If like, uh, I don't know what a David Byrne was African or something like, it feels like an African Talking Heads track. Uh, and it's really dope. So and all their music's really chill. So check this one out. Mama Yo Mama Yo Bye Pidgeon.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll we link off to that in the footnote. The Daily's like, guys, the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio is the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what's trending, and we will talk to y'all then Bye bye,