Speaker 1: Wait up, wait up, way, why you.
Speaker 2: Guys really are like the hip hop early morning late night talkyll.
Speaker 3: Fops Club is the most powerful popular urban radio show.
Speaker 4: Maybe like from the Black Mothership in New York City, it's DJ Yembi and Charlamagne to God.
Speaker 1: It's different.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm saying, like, y'all know what y'all talking about.
Speaker 5: Thanks to y'all, Bet Black Pove, I love y'all collectively known as Breakface Club.
Speaker 6: So I'm always nervous when I do the Breakfast Club because sometimes you say stuff and it's just gonna get you in trouble.
Speaker 2: Everybody, what good morning Usa?
Speaker 7: Wow yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo.
Speaker 5: Yo yo y'o.
Speaker 2: Charlamagne the Guy Peace to the plane.
Speaker 8: It is Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta I gotta cold listen.
Speaker 9: Strange the fact you said you got a turtle in your mouth, the scrange I've been from forty five years old. I was born in nineteen hundred and seventy eight. I've never heard nobody say that in reference to having a cold now turtling your throat something, And I never heard that sounds. Anybody remember heard that one I had a turtle in my mouth throat?
Speaker 1: What's his name?
Speaker 9: Leonardo Rafael, Donatello, Michaelangelo? Which one is it?
Speaker 2: One of them? One of them? I feel like I got a deceptance in my throat. But I'm coming home. Man, shut up, man, God damn. I know it's freaking freeky Friday, but Lord have mercy. How we we know? Shut up? Okay, shout out to all the students at Howard University. I was at Howard University last night. You know, I'm on my HBCU tour. So when I'm DJ and it was actually me and Clue. You know, you're yelling and it feels like I'm coming down with something. You're yelling all night. What you say? Just like old time? Can't you stop?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 9: Just like old times. Hey, I'm here to serve. We're here to serve.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 9: Happy Friday, another day the Breakfast Club is on your radio.
Speaker 1: Man, Happy to serve the people.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 1: I feels black and holly favorite.
Speaker 2: We got some special guests joining us today. We have oy the Rodriguez comedian.
Speaker 1: She has a new book.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be kicking in with I Rodriguez bt.
Speaker 9: Can you see me hold up out of this book. It's called Legitimate Kid. It's a memoir, you know. Also a rapper, Nick Grant will be joining us. Nick Grant, South Carolina's own Walter Bor South Carolina. He's got a new album out called A Sunday Dinner. Yes, you know. And if you're not, if you're not familiar with Nick Grant, you should be familiar with Nick Grant because he's one of the nicest lyricists out here on this planet.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: That's right, so we can get it with both of them today, that's right, all right?
Speaker 9: That God, don't worry about what I'm doing this weekend, okay, and I don't want to know what you're doing this weekend either, all right, the show just started, all right. I know we'll get to what I'm doing this weekend later on, but it's really nothing, So don't know. Is it a frog in my throat? I feel like I got a frog. I've heard that that. I've heard that you are so stupid, frog turtle. I mean the way, the way, the way the way you set Hampton people back, the way you set Beigement back, like you are really stupid.
Speaker 2: We love you. Get the throat. It's a frog in the throat. I don't know why I said frog, it's a.
Speaker 9: Frog because you can probably be watching the movies. Did you watch the movie?
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: You think Rafael's cute, that's what knows? They remind me.
Speaker 9: Hey, the Tinja turtles remind you of me, you know, so that's why you probably feel this way.
Speaker 1: But let's get the show started. Tessland f your girls up.
Speaker 2: Next with Kinky. You really kinky this morning. I don't know why you flirt with me already, but okay.
Speaker 1: We need to go do something about that frog in your throat. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: Do you want somebody to kiss that frog and turn it into a prince or then it'll be a prince in your throat?
Speaker 2: What's wrong with you? Teslan Figure thes up next? Front page news is the breakfast lubl Good morning, let's go Good morning. Everybody is d J n V Charlamage the God. We are the breakfast Club. Let's get in some front page news.
Speaker 11: Good morning, teas, Oh, good morning DJ and me. Good morning, Charlamagne God, Good morning.
Speaker 2: That's crazy now, I know. With some quick NFL last night, the Jaguars beat the Saints thirty one, twenty four. Now what we jumping into.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's talk about the four hundred Capital staffers. They're calling for a ceasefire. Muslim and Jewish congressional staffers signed a letter yesterday urging Congress tobacco between Israel and Amas in the light of the anti Jewish, anti Muslim, and anti Palestinian sentiment on the rise in the nation.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 4: The letter they wrote said that nationwideen in the Congress, the voices calling for de escalation in peace have been drowned out by those beating the drums of war. As Muslims and Jews, we are tired of reliving generational fears of genocide and ethnic cleansing. It often feels like the conversations on Capitol Hill are completely divorced from the conversations people are having among their friends, family, and coworkers. So they are asking for peace because obviously the US is making decisions without input from the American people, and certainly I guess the staffers are seeing it from behind the scenes and they're saying, you know, enough is enough. Now, speaking of that, President Biden did address the nation last night about Ukraine and Israel, and how the US must continue to support Let's take a listen to a few of his words.
Speaker 7: We can't let petty parties and angry politics getting away or responsibility is a great nation. We cannot and will not let terrorists like Kamas, tyrants like couldn't win. I refuse to let that happen. And moments like these we have to rewind. We have to remember who we are. Where are the United States of America, the United States of America? And there is nothing, nothing beyond our capacity if we do it together.
Speaker 9: Once again, man, do what you got to do for global stability, but take care at home.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 9: I gets terrible that we have money for war but can't feed the poor here in America. Or they asking for one hundred billion dollars in funding, their requesting from Congress one hundred billion dollars while folks is go over here starving, while folks go over here homeless, Like why can't we take care of the basics here?
Speaker 2: First, I thought we were in a huge debt. I thought we were borrowing money from countries and borrowing money from Allied So how do we have that money to actually give to them?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 9: And it's where you can address the nation all you want, but I promise you, you know, the nation doesn't care about foreign foreign policy or foreign politics the way they do about here at home. I can guarantee you that American foreign priorities are not the priorities of the average everyday American.
Speaker 1: I can guarantee you that.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And just for clarity is it's certainly more than that, because it's one hundred billion to Israel, and then yesterday the report was one hundred million that's going to for the relief in Godza, so and it's way more than and they asked for an eight billion dollar package they're putting together as well, you know, in Congress for this effort, and then again not including what's already been in Ukraine. So the numbers just keep adding up. So it's certainly a lot of money that they're talking about. And what that said in Congress right now Jim Jordan, who will be who they are saying is going to be the next Speaker of the House in order to give more of this money, I was important to have a speaker. He goes for a third vote today they continue to keep telling him, we don't want you, Jim and Jim is saying I'm going to keep on pushing the line. And as a result of that, a voicemail was left on the wife of a congressman's phone. Now they did not say who this wife was or who the congress person was. They wanted to make sure they protected the identity, but a very disturbing voicemail. I got a you a sake and self to.
Speaker 11: Check it out.
Speaker 10: Why is your husband such a pig? Why would he get on TV? And they can ask himself because he's a deep state prick because he doesn't represent the people. So what we're going to do is we're gonna come follow you all over the place. We're going to be up yours. We are now Antifa. We're going to do what the left does because you're a husband gets on TV just oh the bad guys. Dad. So I'm going to vote for Kevin McCarthy, a piece who everybody knows, and for his piece ass talk about Americans who are actually fighting for Americans as the bad people says everything about him. So you your husband, so listen, I'm putting all your information over the internet now everybody else's and you're going to be molested like you can't ever imagine and again non violently and you must be a Samaria ugly mother like that.
Speaker 9: Dang, how are you gonna end that web thing non violently? What the hell sounds crazy?
Speaker 12: What the hell?
Speaker 1: They get the numbers from.
Speaker 4: Number again they find it just like people have found found information left, voicemails left. You know that when you go against uh, some of these folks, you know, in their position, they get pretty aggressive with trying to find your information. It was it at one point, I even at the tight turn my website, you know, information off, people find numbers, they leave voicemails and text messages.
Speaker 11: I mean this, this is this is how they get out again.
Speaker 9: They can't start six nine. What was that old thing back in the day, start six.
Speaker 2: The phone lord have mercy. Yeah, but people like that should get locked up. And that's that's regardless. When you threaten people over the line and you threaten to put that information out their address, their phone number where people can actually get hurt, that's a threat and they shouldet arrested.
Speaker 9: Like remember that movie Minority Report where they arrescue for what you what you might do, what you have, what you if you if you make.
Speaker 1: Those kinds of threats. They should.
Speaker 2: They should charge you like you actually did the crime. Charge like you did the crime.
Speaker 9: If you're gonna go out of your way to get on the phone and do all of that, well at.
Speaker 2: Least at least half.
Speaker 9: Let me get whatever they would give you for doing the crime, give them half for doing that phone call.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because we know this really can happen, because remember this happened to Nancy Pelosi's husband, so you know, the spouse of an elected official like this is a real thing. And the conversation for those who want to check it out, you go look at it on, listen to it online, is actually much worse.
Speaker 11: That was just a few seconds. He he went on and on for a good minute.
Speaker 2: All right, well that is front page news. Now get it off your chest. Eight hundred five eight five one five one. If you need devent phone lines to wide open again. Eight hundred five eight five one oh five to one. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Wait, this is your time to get it off your chest. She's calling eight hundred and five eight five five one. We want to hear from you on the Breakfast Club. Hello, who's this year?
Speaker 8: What's that uprev Hell.
Speaker 1: Is best hard PI Sis.
Speaker 12: What's happening killing our chilling hemvy?
Speaker 3: First, I don't want to tell you because you know I've been to Howard University and woke up the next day feel like I had something in my sow too. So I was gonna give you some advice. He had these boat numbing spray that you can use. It gonna spread down your throat and probably gonna help them out a little bit.
Speaker 2: Shut up, trash.
Speaker 1: How would homecoming sucking something?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 1: Shut up this?
Speaker 13: I mean, you know you know he's at Howard homecoming.
Speaker 6: I know how mvy, I know how.
Speaker 12: I ain't up to you what you want?
Speaker 2: What you got last night that got your throat hurting, that's who want?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I want to say.
Speaker 3: One thing, man Johnstone. That man is obsessing me right and this man called you, he called that telling Jeff all this stuff.
Speaker 13: I got one question for y'all, n B and Shor. Y'all asked me, you know a.
Speaker 3: Few months ago, who I think, who I think would be the best fit right now? And I gave you my artist attained everything to the side.
Speaker 1: Who did I say, you said, Jessica Robbins.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's all I got.
Speaker 12: Thank God so much.
Speaker 9: You have a good day, all right, trash that beef is real sex already, the tension is crazy.
Speaker 2: They both need what's good?
Speaker 13: Man, what's good? It's Prince Creek from the seven five to seven. I want to talk about gus Yo. I want to talk about these old politicians. Man.
Speaker 12: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 13: I mean, who watched the president? Who address the nation?
Speaker 5: Man? But what is it me?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 14: That Brian finding was up there crying like you know, he was just looking really dead up there, man, so Chelan, i'mna ask you a question, man, any other Democrat run against him?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 9: Can any other Democrat? I mean people that's running against Biden?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 9: You know you got Marianne Williamson, you got Cornel West, you got Rob Robert M.
Speaker 1: Kenny Jr.
Speaker 9: He's not considered a Democrat no more. He's running as an independent. But I mean they are running now. I don't think they got to. I mean I don't know if they got a chance or not. I guess they got the chance that the people would give him, but the DNC not gonna give him that that that right shot to win.
Speaker 2: So but to answer you, yes, people can run against him, but it's not. It's not to us.
Speaker 13: Yeah, man, it's time for us to vote young man, because I'm looking at this guy. Man, really looking dead up there.
Speaker 10: Bro.
Speaker 13: But I'm in the pendent anyway, I'm in the middle, man. I don't really I vote for whatever's going to work for my community.
Speaker 14: Man.
Speaker 13: But I also to the point now.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna say, I do think it's a very fair question to ask nowadays, is Joe Biden and Kamala Harris still a winning ticket?
Speaker 1: You know, I don't think you.
Speaker 9: Know, all the other stuff might not be fair, like when you make comments about the age or you know, when they're getting on Kamala scene. No vice president that doesn't do anything that might not be fair. But it is fair to ask, is Joe Biden and Kamala Harris still a winning ticket?
Speaker 2: Don't well?
Speaker 13: Good point, man, good point. And you know, Envy man, Look, last time I said, keep your head, man, let me correct it. Keep your head out, my brother, and I hope you're still.
Speaker 9: You don't want to You don't want your head because your throat hurt. Envy, all right, he said, you know we we we we get it. Okay, His throat hurts this morning. You don't want the head. I understand, Thank you, brother. If he's just joining us, Yeah, it feels like I have a frog in my throat. What you said earlier, earlier you said, if you like you got a ninja turtle in your thro that's what you said.
Speaker 1: You said, I feel like you.
Speaker 9: They said you feel like you got Donna Tello's staff down your throat.
Speaker 2: That's what you said. I mean, Howard home coming. So last night I was DJing and my voice is a little going. So, but get it off your chest. Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. If you need to vent, hit us up now. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. It's a new day. Is it your time to get it off your chest?
Speaker 9: Whether you're man or bless something, get up and get something.
Speaker 1: Call up now.
Speaker 2: Eight hundred five eighty five one o five one. We want to hear from you on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 12: Hello, who's this your DJ n B? Charlamagne?
Speaker 4: A god?
Speaker 12: What's going on? John and Height be doing it?
Speaker 1: Beast King, Get it off your chest, it's.
Speaker 12: Coach Davis Man. How's everything?
Speaker 2: Brothers were blessed? Black old favorite coach.
Speaker 12: Hey man, listen, I I'll show man. I was listening to that you know that that report that you know about the government, man. And you know I've always said this, you know, left wing right queen, always part of the same bird. And I don't care how you split it. You understand what I'm saying. And these guys, these people that's in power, they really really really don't have the American people hard at mind. Man. And you know it's sad to say that, but it is what it is. But Charlomagne, I want to ask you this question.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 12: I'm I'm an educated by profession right, and i want my way to work now. And I've had on my heart a couple of books that I wanted to produce that I've actually wrote, and I'm looking for a publishing company and I understand you have one. You know, I would like to know if you can send me some information on how I can get you know, get down with that and how with the process behind it.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, I'm gonna put you on hold and our producer Eddie gonna get your information and I'll give you then email I'll connect you with my people.
Speaker 15: Okay, And lastly, listen, enview my guy. Yes, y'all praying for you.
Speaker 12: Bro. You know what I'm saying. What's what's understood, doesn't have to be. But I'm praying for you, man. You know what I'm say. I'm gonna keep you in my prayers, Bro.
Speaker 15: You and your family.
Speaker 12: You understand what I'm saying because regardless of what it is, it's all about family.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 12: And and I think you're a good dude that try to do the best for him, yourself, your family, and the community.
Speaker 13: Man.
Speaker 12: So I'm praying for you, man. And lastly, I know it's kind of long, but lastly, you're.
Speaker 15: The twenty eighth of this month. Corneana gonna make history.
Speaker 12: The Corneala thunders in.
Speaker 15: Umural season is popping off game at five five o'clock on Saturday, twenty eighth at Kingsburg Community College.
Speaker 12: Hey, listen, people, if y'all would like to purchase tickets, go to see I under dot com. That see I under dot com. Man, gentlemen, I love y'all like cook food to life. Man, y'all have a great day.
Speaker 2: Thank you. All right, we'll get it off your chest eight hundred five eight five one five one when we come back. We got your rumor report. Young Blue is in the rumors, will explain wise, it don't go anywhere. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. More than everybody is DJ NV CHARLAMAGNEA God, we are the Breakfast Club. Now, let's say, you know, she has passed the AUCS and a couple of at eight fifty, so we're gonna be kicking with Nala. But she's gonna join us for a little bit, and let's get to the rumors. Let's talk Young Blue. Whole lot of names or you've gossip been when you chatting. This is the rumor report.
Speaker 6: I mean, I guess we're on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: This is where the tea spells right right now. Young Blue was arrested yesterday for allegedly attacking a woman. Now, this is an incident at the center of an alleged custody dispute involving a ten year old child. They said that officers responded to a nine one one call from a woman on October fifteenth to their home. When deputies arrived, they said, the woman told him that Young Blue had shown up at the residents unannounced, with the intent to take the ten year old child with him. They said. An argument ensued and allegedly he threw the woman to the ground. Now, Young Blue made a statement, he said, I'm off this internet thing. I cherish women and I can and I'm completely innocent. Just know this about to be one of the toughest times to be a fan of Minds because I'm about to go into another bracket as owner and entrepreneur. And people hate you know that, They hate on that. So that's what happened with Young Blue while he was arrested yesterday.
Speaker 16: This is like the second biasco he's had with women in the media light within like the past two months.
Speaker 2: I feel like, mm hmm. Sounds like he needs to sage that.
Speaker 1: This is just a sage.
Speaker 16: Sounds like he needs a sage.
Speaker 6: But I like Young Blue, I hope he figures that out.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, Sugar Knight, Now this is crazy. Sug Knight is starting a podcast from prison.
Speaker 9: We do not need podcasts mikes in prison. The last thing we need is podcast mikes in prison. Podcast mikes in prison is the recipe for disaster. Let's listen to the trailer.
Speaker 7: More than three hundred million dollars got row with a possible recocasion mind.
Speaker 2: Because people don't know about a lot of this stuff.
Speaker 6: Jesus made started the Source on.
Speaker 2: The New Source for Garus.
Speaker 6: The magazine is now a ten million dollars a year publication.
Speaker 2: Every time you turn around, everybody want to spreadge lines.
Speaker 12: He want to be an artist, Andy want to stay a star.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to worry about the dactive producer trying.
Speaker 2: To be all in the video, all on the record color Death Rock.
Speaker 15: You've had a prepaid call from sure Night.
Speaker 9: So this sounds like a well produced, singular focused podcast. This podcast is actually about an issue.
Speaker 1: What are you about?
Speaker 2: I guess they're gonna be talking about everything. He's gonna be talking about all everything that's going on with Death Row. He's gonna be h they say, barking back at Snoop acon H and a host of other people who's gonna reply into some of the things that they've heard. So, yeah, this is a It's actually on Breakbeat Media, so it is gonna be coming out. They said, five episodes are already shot, so we'll be see.
Speaker 9: So I guess you'll got a story to tell. I'm just saying, like you don't want this random podcast. Mike floating around prison like you do not want to hear a podcast called Guys we F'd coming out of a male correctional facility.
Speaker 1: Nobody watched that, all right, Okay?
Speaker 9: And the only other way I would want podcasts mikes in prison is if you have some of these brothers and sisters telling stories about how they got there, so maybe people don't make the same decisions that they made.
Speaker 1: That could be interesting.
Speaker 2: I feel as your question, doesn't that get you in trouble, Like you're not supposed to have a podcast. I'm sure Mike's in jail or you're not supposed to be talking, and then all of a sudden the podcast comes out business in.
Speaker 16: Jail, a lot of people from jail beginning to contact with me a lot of different ways. So I don't know what the rules are, but I will say I feel like a lot of podcasts these days already feel like jail talk. Nothing but yo, if you nothing but hood trauma story, they did this back then, I.
Speaker 9: Just like, my goodness, I'm over it is It is some I know what Niyhle is saying, because you do have a lot of people on podcasts kind of like just incriminating themselves, right, So these are the people who have literally they're literally incarcerated for crime, you know. So once again, I just feel like if they're in there and they're telling us how they got there and maybe people don't make those same mistakes, that could be cool if they teach turned it into a teachable moment, But other than that, nah.
Speaker 2: And lastly, it seems like making the stallion and called Crawford, you know, called Crawford was the owner of the label she was signed to fifteen oh one certified. It seems like the beef is now over. They parted ways. Everything seems fine, so I know it's been three years of back and forth, but now they say that they have ended their relationship, you know, financially and I guess business wise. So she is no longer on fifteen oh one certified. So I know she was looking for that. So congratulations to her, all right, what I.
Speaker 1: Mean they bought her out?
Speaker 2: Like what happened? Like they were not in no details. No, they're not giving no details. They just say they amically part ways and ended three years of back and forth of swiping on social media. They were in court and everything, right, yeah, in courting everything, So maybe they agreed to maybe somebody bought it out. Maybe she'll, you know, he'll still get a percentage of whatever it is, but she's no longer on fifteen oh one certified.
Speaker 9: And I don't like stuff like that when you make when there's so much noise around the situation. We knew all the details going into it, right, so tell us all the details when things get cool.
Speaker 16: I was about to say, they ain't saying nothing. That kind of scares me. But doing business with anybody from Texas like that, honestly scares me.
Speaker 1: The whole Texas.
Speaker 2: Not look just because they hold money in Texas, nobody.
Speaker 16: But music history in Texas. Like all those people intimidate me.
Speaker 1: Like, who I get what you say?
Speaker 9: You say that that what you've heard about some of the people in Texas, not that they do bad business, You just hear intimidating things about them.
Speaker 2: Yes, I get what you said, like the legend of J.
Speaker 16: Prince's what you're talking Moze. I want no beef, no problem, no parts. And once they get involved, like we said, we don't hear nothing. All we know is is a done deal. I'm okay Texas though, all.
Speaker 2: Right, well that is your rumor report. Now when we come back tesling figure will be joining us for front page news. And you hear that, Charlomagne, that frog is coming out the throat. I don't know what it was here.
Speaker 9: I got a copy of Jada Pinkett Smith's new book. If anybody wants it, I got it. I got a couple of these, just giving these out. You just just no, I'm just I showed you this because it might scare that frog got your throat? All right, look a look at the look at this?
Speaker 2: All right? When we come back, we got front page news, and don't forget Ida Rodriguez will be joining us. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same. Good morning, everybody. It's DJ Envy Charlemagne the God. We are the Breakfast Club. Let's get in some front page news. Jaguars beat the Saints last night thirty one twenty four and what up tis?
Speaker 11: What's going on? DJ and B Charlemagne, the God, Breakfast Club, family.
Speaker 2: The hood which for test figure out what's happening. Let's cut, let's jump right into it. Let's talk about the murder rate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to try to do It's been such a heavy week, guys, I'm sure you agree with all of the war coverage. Wanted to try to find something least positive that we could talk about during this hour, and the murder rate failed six percent nationwide. Now, depending on where you live, if you feel that or not, and obviously if you've experienced something tragic, this may not mean much. But for those who want to know, you know what's happening with the murder rate, it has went down. The FBI issued their annual crime report and found that violent crime in the US has decreased. The murder rate went down six point one percent from in twenty twenty two. Again, they just released this report, you know, kind of doing the assessment from last year. Overall, violent crime dropped one point seven percent, including a six point one percent decrease and murder and non negligent manslaughter. The murder rate also continues to follow this year after it jump nearly thirty percent during the pandemic in twenty twenty. So in twenty twenty two, the rate for homicide was six point three percent six point three homicide offenses per one hundred thousand. This is down from twenty twenty one, which was a eight of six point eight percent pert one hundred thousand people. So property crime is on the rise, unfortunately, but the murder rate is down.
Speaker 9: I don't feel it all the time. And what is it down from a million percent? Like what is what did that say?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: I don't feel like that at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't see that. All I see is people getting killed all the time.
Speaker 2: But the papers on the news and it seems like it's the murder rate it's going up.
Speaker 4: It feels like yeah, I mean yeah, like I said, it's personal. It's it's all gonna come down if you if you feel it or not, and that will affect folks, you know, uh at the at the voting booth, but you know me personally losing a friend last month, lost one this month, funeral today actually uh so.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thank you so much. So it just you know, it just just depends.
Speaker 4: Now my friend today, shout out to him, act if he was not murdered. I want to be clear about that. But a last month friend wasn't. I think I mentioned that on the show es Bohn who was murdered unfortunately. So again a lot is still happening for people having you know, a personal connection.
Speaker 11: That's what it comes down to in politics. What do you feel personally.
Speaker 4: We can put the SATs out, we can have the conversations, but at the end of the day, if people don't feel it, these SATs mean nothing. But I still want to, you know, at least let you know what the FBI said.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I agree with you.
Speaker 9: I'm a person that I vote my own interests, and if I don't vote my own interest I will vote the things that I know will benefit others, you know. So I'm a little bit to you to your point, I'm definitely all about interests when I vote.
Speaker 2: Now bout hitting that snooze button?
Speaker 6: Now, yeah, I wanted to know.
Speaker 4: Do you guys hit the snooze button in the morning. I'm sure you you got to get up early. We all hit this snooze button. There's on a report that says it actually can benefit your brain. So I wanted to give you this information. Scientist at the Stockholm University found the snooze and may actually support the waking process for regular snoozers. Now, for years they've called snoozers lazy and perhaps saying that they, you know, just don't want to get up and need to herry up and get up. But they have found that this actually helps the brain's ability to wake up properly. Oney seven hundred and thirty two individuals answer questions about their morning habits, including if they hit the snooze button, and they found that this allowed them to wake up easier. They woke up quicker on their feet, and a little bit more shark when they had the snooze, and the snooze that they the time that they looked at for the study was an extra thirty minutes. So me personally, I think I do like ten or fifteen depends on what coast. I'm on the West coast for sure, because I'm up at like one am, two am in the morning, so I do like fifteen minutes there Central Central Time.
Speaker 11: I do maybe ten minutes. In the East coast, I usually can kind of get right on up.
Speaker 9: So yeah, I wake up at four fifteen every morning. I usually hit the snooze button. It ain't that long though, I think it's my snooz button might.
Speaker 1: Be like three four minutes.
Speaker 2: You know what I want.
Speaker 1: I want to custom customize the alarm clock.
Speaker 9: Like I want an alarm clock that when it goes off, it claps and it's like rise, king, get up.
Speaker 2: Today is your day? King like cheering you on, like WHOA, Well you can't you could.
Speaker 11: I guess you could. I guess you could record that is audio and make your audio.
Speaker 2: You wake up your wife. You're a waite for you. You wake up your wife. If that that goes off every day.
Speaker 9: I mean, if I'm gonna go off anyway, So you know, I just imagine how that is to start your day with that kind of like like somebody's celebrating you, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's up, yay, Yes, the world is yours. I'll be honest. The reason I don't have a snooze button because I don't use the snooze is because the lawn is so loud, and usually one of the kids is in our room for some reason, one of the kids, the baby, one of them is in our room. They one ends up in the room, and you're trying to be so quiet not to wake up the family when you're leaving in the morning. So I don't even hit there's no snooze for me. Your throat clear, It did to clear up a little bit. Yeah, you start crying, crying like a little white man crying. Look at them on that screen, what are you talking about? So you just jump right up then and hit the floor. I just jump right up and go yep, well right, well, thank you.
Speaker 5: Tis.
Speaker 9: Make sure you make sure you are subscribed to Testling Figure os podcast as Great Shot, No Chase of podcasts on the Black Effect. iHeart Radio podcast network, and follow at Tesling Figure on social media platforms.
Speaker 2: That's right. And when we come back, Ita Rodriguez will be joining Us're gona kick it eye. She got a new book. What's name of the book, scha jgitimate kid. It is a memoir man.
Speaker 9: You know, Ida, she's a comedian, she's a director like Ida does it all. So her book is really good and it's really you know, I don't want to say traumatic in a good way, but I will just say she's a person who has found a way to turn her trauma into treasure and lessons for us.
Speaker 12: All.
Speaker 2: That's what I was, all right, and we'll get to that next. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody is stej n V charlamagnea god jess, hilarious. We are the Breakfast Club and we got a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed, we have Rodriguez.
Speaker 6: I think I am the Latin person what we call now Latin a LATINX like next right, I think I think I'm the Latin person that's been on the show the most, just like my seventh time Dominican. I know he's on the weekend.
Speaker 2: Dominican. I think you a fat joke.
Speaker 6: I mean fat Joe is Joey crack.
Speaker 2: You're never not working new book? Legitimate kid, you know what?
Speaker 6: I was laughing because she said that books are the new record. Yeah, and it is because I'm dissing my mama and daddy in this. Jesus, Jesus, I'm holding them accountable, but I'm not never this. My mom is my queen.
Speaker 2: Why do you call it legitimate kid?
Speaker 6: Because kids in the in the hood are evil. And when I was little, kid told me I was a bastard because I didn't have my father's last name. Jesus, and I found out what it meant, and then I was I felt less than and so I went on a journey to find my legitimacy. And I want all the little kids that grow up in the hood that hear this. Your daddy didn't sign your birth certificate. That doesn't make you legitimate. That that term comes from prostitution. It has nothing to do with parental presence in your life.
Speaker 2: It can turn bastard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that came being a legitimate came from them saying children that were born to prostitutes were not legitimate. But then they weaponized that against people of color, poor people, And so I wanted to find out more about myself because that affected the way I dealt with men, you know, my life as a mom and all that stuff, and so I wanted to I want everybody who reads that book to know that they are legitimate.
Speaker 9: Now we said something back to the boy or what was what was just the joke? Back to the boy you had something for nah?
Speaker 6: You know you know my joke I was when I was a kid. I was meek when I was little. This didn't happen til like this was in elementary. I didn't get gully to middle school. Started peeping the pro wings. You're too young to know what that is. You sneakers from pay less that the poor people used to.
Speaker 12: It was cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was cool when you now when we was kids, that was food stamp.
Speaker 1: So you probably had out.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did.
Speaker 6: I would have the flailix. Nobody could see that it was let's just a tip. You can see the tip sticking out.
Speaker 2: But oh, now talk about the journey of finding your dad and finding your history.
Speaker 6: So you know what my I went to the Dominican Republic. I did the documentary that's on HBO and my father. You know, when I met my father, my father asked me for money, and it was the first question. It was not the first question, but it was probably like the fourth and it was very painful because I was I just met him, and you know, I was really upset with him. I died them on stage. It was really you know, he was he was DL, I was Monique.
Speaker 8: And it was they got.
Speaker 6: I went in and then I decided to uh, to really explore what that meant. And my father lives in the Dominican Republic. He's been for his whole life. You know, I was looking at it from my perspective. I wanted I don't want to hate him. I just didn't want to. I wanted to find love in my heart for him. So I sat down and started exploring all of this stuff, and I was like, yo, he is poor. His child came from America.
Speaker 2: The first, you know, fourth question, you want to know about your daughter the first three questions. First, I know, what was the first three questions?
Speaker 6: You know, the first thing he asked me, he asked me about my mom. He asked me how my mom was doing. He cried, you know, he asked me about how, you know, how things were going for me. You know, he asked me about me. But it was just I was getting ready to leave because I was only there for two days, and he gave me a hug and then he whispered in my ear, I'm gonna need you to give me some money. And I was devastated. I left. I didn't talk to him for a minute, and you know, they had they had mics on me because we were recording a documentary. We were in production, and so all those people heard it and they were like they felt bad for me.
Speaker 2: Did you give him money?
Speaker 10: I did.
Speaker 6: I know, I'm not going to say that, but you know, I was paying him to go away at that moment. I was like, I'm gonna just because I know he's struggling, but I was like, this is it. This is the cheapest amount of money that I'm gonna give away. And then I had to go through some work, some in and works.
Speaker 2: Did you learn to give grace to your parents were just realizing they were just human.
Speaker 6: Yes, my mom absolutely. You know who knows what my daughter and my son are going to say about me when they you know what I mean, Like we all think we got it right. You think that because you're not your parents and you're not struggling like your parents were, that they had the best shoes. You never know what the kids are going to say. And so I learned. My mom had her first kid when she was fourteen, and I didn't know that. I found out when I was writing the book, and that baby died and the father of the baby died playing Russian roulette. So that was all before I was even born. She was a kid. So I was like, how I'm gonna sit here and judge my mother, Like, I mean.
Speaker 1: You know, the traumas and stuff she was dealing.
Speaker 6: With, you you know, I was born into it and so and it was generational. My grandmother had her first kid when she was thirteen. My mom was sexually abused at home, so she was trying to get out, you know what I mean, I can't do that to her. She's and even still with all of that, she raised four amazing kids, like none of us have ever been in trouble with all productive? Who does that? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I walked in and was telling us about an interview she did with Gael King.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she said, girl, you've been through some things, you know what. It's interesting though. She read the book and I did an interview a couple of days ago with somebody who didn't read the book. And when I walked in, they were like, girl, your books so funny. And I was like, I disrespect people that were like, you know, I didn't read it, so tell me about it.
Speaker 2: But she was like you so, and I was like, it's not that type of book.
Speaker 12: Who is that?
Speaker 1: Who is that?
Speaker 10: Well? You know what? Ess?
Speaker 2: And I walked in, Jess and I walked in and Charlemagne was looking at the book and he was very interested in the chapter that said Pizza and Penis.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that was the one that I went straight.
Speaker 2: To, straight to pizzas because I wanted to know about callers.
Speaker 6: To her, that was your uncle.
Speaker 11: I want to know what was that With him?
Speaker 6: We definitely talked about Carlos, but he saw Pisa and Penis. He didn't even see Pisa, He just saw n Penis and about this.
Speaker 2: You need to get into it.
Speaker 6: You know what's funny. It's Gael King was like, I enjoyed this chapter. The chapter is about me getting sexually abused.
Speaker 2: So it's not I feel stupid now, y'all thought, y'all.
Speaker 8: All go ahead.
Speaker 6: You know it was I want people to be free, like I want people who've been through the stuff I've been through to read this and say I'm gonna be all right. I didn't want.
Speaker 2: I don't want.
Speaker 6: I don't want to do trauma porn like. It's not just what is me and my life has been bad. It's every turn is me turning around and say I'm gonna turn this, I'm gonna flip this into this, and this is how those things became jokes.
Speaker 2: Well move, we got more with Ida Rodriguez. When we come back, it's the Breakfast Club, Good morning Morning. Everybody's DJ Envy Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast I was still kicking with Reguez. Do you think a comedian can even have material without trauma?
Speaker 6: Yes, I think we have a spectrum of comedy and we need. Simba was not trauma driven, and we love Simbat and undeniably one of the funniest shout clean. Yeah, he's healing. Yeah, clean comedy, I do think. So we need we need, especially people of color. We can't all be the color purple. We need some levity. We need to have comedians who are lighthearted and do jokes about things. Everybody doesn't have to be deep and you know that's that's pretentious, you know, I think some of us need we need. We ain't have a Carrot Top Like Carrot Top is a millionaire in Vegas. We've never had a comedian like that that can just be you know why we always have to have the burden of walking around being the heaviness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and brown, a certain privilege that comes with being.
Speaker 6: A yeah, but we need one. We need somebody walking around with props to you know.
Speaker 9: And now talked us about how how junkies and prostitutes assisted jama my mom.
Speaker 6: The person she was dating at the time beat her. She was pregnant and he left her for dead in the park in Central Park. She was say, not much pregnant, and it was the junkies and the prostitutes that were around who took her to the hospital and saved her life. So she's my mother is not a respective of persons. She lives that Bible life like she feeds anybody. She will she's all she's she's so wounded, but she will never forget. She does not look down on anybody. And so we were never allowed to do that. We could never be make fun of somebody because you know, whatever it was, she'd be like, not do that. She will always say it was the prostitutes and the junkies, that's what they called them, not the people. She was like, those are the people who saved your brother's life. And so we were raised to this. You know, that's how we all are.
Speaker 2: Everybody respect. When this becomes a movie or mini series, is gonna be a drama y or a horror movie?
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 6: Non so dramedy? Drama developing a TV show? No, it's gonna be a drama. We gotta laugh at we gotta.
Speaker 2: Laugh at it. How difficult was it to write this?
Speaker 6: It was hard as hell?
Speaker 2: How long did it take?
Speaker 6: Because I wrote my own book, there's no no ghostwriter. So the thing is it took me two and a half years. But I've been working on that book for seven years. But you don't, you know, like you say you're going to write a book, because you got the ideas and you got the stories. But when you start writing them down in that publisher, that editor is like, I need eighty thousand words, it becomes a whole different You're like, damn, I could just tell you. When you write the story down it's two pages. You're like, that's it.
Speaker 8: I got it.
Speaker 6: But now you gotta go in and you gotta details.
Speaker 9: And it was.
Speaker 6: It was one of the hardest things I ever did, one of the greatest lessons for me not to take anything for granted, because you know, authors, these authors have been real snobby towards me, Like even people of color that I've been I've reached out to and I've been posting about their books, and they all been kind of kind of like, kind of greasy with me. And it's because I'm not a comedian stepping into their world and they're like, here goes another one. They're gonna do a book and then they're gonna bounce. And I was like, now, I've been writing my whole life. My stand up is writing, my TV shows are writing, you know, this book is writing, the movies I've written. I'm a real writer, and I don't need y'all validation because y'all gory for that. But I understand that. You know, they do this all day long, and then celebrities will come in do books, they do the press, and then they out. They're like, that's just one more notch on their belt. They don't really assume the role of author where I could write. I could write books until I die, like I would like to.
Speaker 2: It's a good therapy of bad therapy because you have to relive a lot of the stuff. I'm sure trauma that you had since a kid. So sometimes you like you push it out of your brain so you don't have to think about it. But when you're writing a book, you gotta dive deep into it. It can't just be like two pages.
Speaker 6: Like you said, it was traumatic to relive it, but I needed to do it so I can heal, Like I needed to forgive so I can move on, because you know what, that's the thing about forgiveness. It's for you, right think it's for the other person. I ain't forgiving them. It's what do they say? You know? Revenge is like drinking poison and hope, hoping the enemy dies. I needed to forgive these people, like all of them, my stepfather, the one who got his asked with on the bus stop for being racist, Like I needed to just let it go, and I want somebody else to read it and also let it go, Like your life can be so great when you forgive somebody. That doesn't mean you got to hang out with them. You don't have to forget. I choose to forget. But it just it's freedom.
Speaker 9: I'm realizing forgiveness isn't linear though. No, it's not because you got to. You got to remind yourself of ca I forgave them, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you got and you got to accept it. Acceptance is probably one of the hardest things we deal with. People always say, love yourself, love yourself. You can love yourself. Acceptance is where we thrive, right, being able to say, I'm okay with the fact that I'm never gonna be a size to again, you know what I mean? Like that that is freedom for me instead of you know, love is beautiful, but love what Tina Turner said, what's love got to do with it? I think acceptance has been the greatest journey for me. And yeah, I forgave them. People.
Speaker 2: What are you writing the book teach you about illegitimacy.
Speaker 6: You know, that illegitimacy and feeling that those feelings of not feeling invalidated are crippling for most people. We all battle with it, whether it's because you dark, dark skin, or you don't speak English, you got you got an accent, you're in a wheelchair. Like, we all struggle with it. They can give it a term for every single sector of it, but the truth is that we all battle with it and we cannot give it to somebody else to declare it for us. We cannot. That's my favorite scene that Jerry maguire was when Regina King look Cuba Gooding in the eye and said, we validate our worth. And that was that was like the most powerful thing I had seen at that age, because I was much younger. You gotta validate your own worth. In comedy, you know, people are always saying who they think is funny, who is great? Who is you? Cannot anybody else tell you who you are because if you let if you give them the power to feed you, you give them the power to starve you. That validation has to come from with them.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask, you know, one of the producers after reading the book was like, she has to hate all men, like, damn, they all men did her dirty in this book. So how do you feel about men after you know them going through the process of a lot of men that did you dirty, A lot of men that would file to you.
Speaker 6: Well, if you read the book, then you would see that I adore my uncles. My uncle Carlos passed away and my uncle Raymond. My uncles raised me. My uncles together they were a transformer. They all got together and they became the father that I needed. And they used to be hustlers, they were on the streets, but they have always been my heroes. I love men so much. I made a great one. My son is an amazing human being. And I don't hate men. And I hate that the rhetoric, like all of this stuff that goes on on social media with men and women, it is so toxic and unnecessary. It's just the Biden conquered just keeps getting deeper and deeper in terms of what happens with our communities. I uphold man and I you know, I hold them accountable. But I hold women accountable too. You know, I'm not I'm not basic, So I don't I don't delve in that man. As you know, it's some men that are trash. It's a bunch of women that are trashed too, you know, it's some non binary people that are trash. Yeah, right, So everybody gets.
Speaker 3: It, you know.
Speaker 6: So I don't hate man.
Speaker 2: I will don't move. We got more with Ida Rodriguez. When we come back. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning morning everybody. It's DJ Envy, Charlamagne, the Gud we are the Breakfast Club. We're still kicking with Ida Rodriguez Charlamagne.
Speaker 9: I think another thing people will learn from it, Like, you know, growing up without your father's last name, how do you feel after your mom told you why?
Speaker 6: I felt worse because she gave it to me so casually. She was so like cavalier about it, but it was because that was what she knew. She grew up, she didn't have her father's last name. You know. It was like that just means you don't have your dad's last name. Like it's all good. And for me it was a stamp that it made me a victim to I thought in my head that means I'm gonna get mistreated. People know my father is not around because my idea of a daddy was protection. You know, yeah, you know you're very good you you you. I don't know if you are in real life, but on social media, you know what I'm saying. You know, people do it all for the you know. But then because I put some people on, I know, some some stories. But the thing was that I thought that because that's what I thought a father was. It made me feel vulnerable like I was like, now anybody can do anything to me, you know whatever, And it wasn't true. My grandmother was walking around with that gun making sure that she protected us.
Speaker 2: Your story is crazy, even even even having your mama as a.
Speaker 6: Whole, like, because you know what, that's what kids would do when they when you're not, they see your mom and then you know, in the hood, is everything get fair game? When you're playing them dozens those kids would be like, that's why your pappy got canceled, Like it's the kids are evil.
Speaker 9: Crackhead son, the job, Your daddy was a crackhead, Your mothery crackhead son, crackheadaughter.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's how we process the pain, that's how we deal with it. And when somebody said that, Mama, the creepiest thing about the whole thing was that the girl, the lady who said my mama was a whole was the biggest hole on the block, Like that's you, you know. And she was talking about my mom because we she thought that because her kids had the same father and we didn't, that her she was better than my mom. And I was like, how sad. Now that I'm an adult, I'm like, what a sad existence that? That's where you pop your collar, not something you did positive in the world. But my kids got the same daddy and they got their father's last name, so I'm better than you. And I was like, nah, I was. That's when I started snapping and I was like, no, g she's a whole.
Speaker 2: Do you believe a host?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, depends on who you allow. I mean I always told my daughter, you determine your whole. Don't you let the streets do it. You know what your threshold is if we'll start allowing. I mean, that's very patriarchal. That's where it's rooted in, and people men get to call women holes all day long and assess their value while they're out there hoing, spreading diseases, doing all kinds of stuff. Not all men, but y'all know ye what I'm talking about. So yeah, so I think that if you're gonna use holes it, let it be across the board. But because we use it, I mean, I'm not getting come up here and act like I'm pious, like I'm some you know, we don't do that. We been calling people hose too, But we talk about dudes like we talk about women. Were not. We're not just sitting here.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 6: Women love to do that too, because women, they have socialized us to hate each other. So when we we love to call other women you know, I'm not like that, Yes you are. You've had your moments stop it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I gotta be blyd Like God'll be like, oh hold, I'd be like, oh you hit no.
Speaker 6: Man that my partner said, yeah, it's talked about. The thing is like do you really care? Like, honestly, the thing about social media that's really been my management is always like, you're really terrible at social media. And I but I'll say this, like I'm always watching people like the people who are Like, I'm letting.
Speaker 2: The haters know nobody cares like people.
Speaker 6: Who are, Like I'll show them who you showing. People will look at it they'll comment, they'll talk about it, and then they move on to the next thing because it's they're consuming it, like the ritos. They don't care. You put so much effort into shutting your haters down. God blessed James Hannah, a brilliant comedian who passed away. He used to say people of colors haters are their imaginary friends, because it was like they don't exist. He was like, it's you know, we put so much, we put so much weight on that. Do you really care? Is something I don't care? Who's a whole? Like they talk about j Lo all the time, and I'm like, what does it? How does that affect my food? Like how does that affect my mama? Give a damn? Like it's it's far. It's for a minute, and then you move on. So just remember when you are directing all that energy to the people who you really think you're shutting down, they don't care. Nobody cares.
Speaker 9: That's right now, it's almost the holidays. These memoirs cause problems. Oh yeah, how does your family feel about you revealing so much.
Speaker 1: In the book.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know. I think the only people who read the book so far my aunt and uncle, the normal ones that are in DC, because the half of my family is in Florida and the other half is in like the DC Virginia and the DMV okay Z ANDV. Yeah, they're the normal ones, so they're cool. They all right. I'm gonna read the I'm gonna sit with my mom and go through the book because I want to make sure that my mom is in Yeah. I can't.
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't ever want to demonize her. So I want her to understand where that came from. And I'm gonna read the back first with her because you know, I give her grace throughout the book, but I want her to know that she's still the queen.
Speaker 2: Wow, are you dreading that conversation?
Speaker 6: It needs to be had. She still has to be accountable. She was still my mom, you know, like I still did. I still went through a lot of stuff in life, you know, as a kid, and she should you know, she's she said to me, I'm so sorry for the things that I put you through. I was I was a kid. But you know, I think it's it's a necessary conversation for us to heal. She needs to forgive her mother. She's still holding onto things about my grand and my grandmother is dead. I'm like, bro, you gotta let it go. Like she's she's gone, you know, and you just you have to move on.
Speaker 9: I don't think there's too many things that are more free and than apology from your parents.
Speaker 6: I got it.
Speaker 9: That's why I say I apologize now as a father to you my young kids, just because I know how I felt.
Speaker 2: They never hear that from a parent. You feel like mighty, did you dirty?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And amnesia? Like mom used to beat my ass, and now when I talk about it, she's like, I never hit you, And I'm like, what this is revisionist history at its best. She used to beat my I mean I she she fractured my ankle. I wrote an there she did my mother was because my mom got hit with an extension chord. So she felt like because she hit us with a belt that it wasn't and it wasn't. But I was like, yo, and I switched my gun. My grandmother we used to and so that's a that's a people of color things and Spanish is called la ladita and they'd be like and she'll go go get go, get your switch. And that was There was no winning in that there was not a switch that didn't hurt, that didn't exist, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Jesus. All right, the book is out right now, make sure you get it.
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me. I appreciate y'all. So I'm directing another special comedy special. I'm trying to direct as many women of color comedy special because I want them to get out. Marcella's did really well on HBO. I'm doing one with Gina Brion. I'm shooting her special in December. And I'm developing two TV shows because I want to. I want to not just work, but I want to be surrounded by people who look like me, sound like me, you know, people of color, black people, and I want to I want to put some people to work.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 6: So I'm developing the shows right now, and I'm getting ready to direct this special. Dope, amazing congratulation.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Riguez.
Speaker 9: Get legitimate kid right now and it's the Breakfast Club. Good Morningez. Thank you for pulling up a legitimate kid of memoirs out right now.
Speaker 1: Make sure you go pick that up. And we got Donkey of Today coming up next.
Speaker 9: Man, I'm gonna tell you about a pastor who is spreading more than the good Gospel. His name is Pastor Ralph D. West and oh that D might stand for dirty. He needs to come to the front of the congregation. We would like to have a word with him this morning. That's the breakfast club.
Speaker 5: Damn he hogged.
Speaker 2: It's start for Donkey of the King.
Speaker 1: I mean trying to beat donkey today.
Speaker 2: No more.
Speaker 9: They should be embarrassed by what they already did. I'm not making these people do these.
Speaker 2: Days called donkey of the day. And it really caught me off guard.
Speaker 6: Damned Charlamagne who got the donkey out of day today?
Speaker 9: Donkey today for Friday, October nineteenth goes to a Houston pastor by the name of Ralph D. West and oh that D might stand for dirty. See, most people go to church and they expect the pastor to lay hands on them. The laying on of hands is both a symbolic and formal method of invoking the Holy Spirit, mostly during baptisms and confirmations, healing services and blessings.
Speaker 1: Well, Pastor Ralph D.
Speaker 9: And oh that D might stand for dirty, was laying more than them holy hands on people in his congregation.
Speaker 1: Let's go to kPr C NBC two. For the report, Police.
Speaker 5: Attorney Sean Murphy is speaking for his client, who a jury found contracted genital herpes from Reverend Ralph D. West the second after meeting a Facebook as seen here on the Church without Wall's website, he's listed as the Eldridge campus minister.
Speaker 17: The things that we look at for cases like these are essentially four things. If the defendant infected, and how can we prove it, did he know he was infected? And you know, how do we prove and do we have evidence of that.
Speaker 5: Not only does Murphy say they were able to prove those facts, but also that wes Lyde when asked about having herpes, and that he gave it to his client after they had unprotected six in March of twenty eighteen.
Speaker 17: She got an outbreak two or three days later when Aiming got tested, and you know, from there able, you know, through the medical records, able to identify that he was the source of it, in part because she hadn't been with anybody else she had had a prior negative test.
Speaker 5: Murphy says subsequent conversation supported the claims.
Speaker 2: When she asks you know where did this come from?
Speaker 17: His response was his son's mother.
Speaker 5: He adds there were also emails between West and his client.
Speaker 17: Where she accuses him of knowing he had it, of gave it to her, you know. And there's other allegations about not caring about me.
Speaker 2: That kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Ralphie L.
Speaker 9: Douglas West known as Pastor Ralph D and O to D definitely stands for disgusting.
Speaker 2: See, most pastors have a spiritual gift.
Speaker 9: A pastor is God gifted to develop relationships with others and then assume the responsibility for each member's spiritual welfare.
Speaker 2: You would hope, you.
Speaker 9: Would actually want, you would pray that the pastor spiritual gift is indeed a gift that keeps on giving. But note I said spiritual gift, not sexual. The sexual gift that keeps on giving is herpes. Now I'm not here to.
Speaker 1: Herpee shame anyone. Okay.
Speaker 9: I did some research, and by research, I meant Google, and it said over one hundred and ninety five million people in America may have general herpees. So drop on the clues bombs for all our listeners out there with a bad case of the bubble nuts.
Speaker 1: Okay, brothers, how y'all feel sisters? Y'all?
Speaker 13: All?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 9: I see you out there dealing with that herperenata one thousand, all right, drop on the clues bombs for all the ladies out there dealing with the herperinata one thousand.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's time for heat. It's time for the her. It's time for the her.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 9: I know that pastor's love to do beneficial things for their congregation see Pastor Ralph D.
Speaker 1: And that D definitely stands for the Testable with doing.
Speaker 9: What we call here at Hethaw missionary Baptist preaching and skeeting all right, spending time with his cock, I mean flock all right, leading with love, but clearly no glove. The man was out here sharing herpes instead of sharing the gospel. Do you know this man's church was called the Church without walls. I'm not making this up people. You heard it in the news report. They were called the Church without Walls. I bet the woman that he probably shared herpes with wish she didn't have walls either, okay, because when that herpies gets inside, said.
Speaker 2: Vagina, where do you think it's gonna go?
Speaker 15: Huh?
Speaker 1: Don't act stupid with me now.
Speaker 9: It hurts when you pee because you got saws all on your interario walls on your voba too, but definitely on those walls. How convenient for you, pastor to have a church without walls, But the woman you infected doesn't have that luxury.
Speaker 2: Can I get a bump bump bump from the congregation?
Speaker 9: Put somebody out there right now dealing with a breakout, and they understand exactly where I'm coming from.
Speaker 2: Now, I need to ask all my Christians with herpes one simple question.
Speaker 1: Do you have faith? Do you believe that you can be healed in Jesus' name?
Speaker 9: Do you stand in front of the mirror genitals looking like an oscar maya olive loaf and say, heal me in Jesus' name. Well, let me be the first to tell you. All prayers to heal herpes go to Jesus's spam folder. All right, Jesus got much more present issues to deal with than the bumps in the alley.
Speaker 2: All right, your bumps into the alley can wait.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 1: This is what I find.
Speaker 9: Extremely interesting about this story, and it's something all God fearing individuals can learn from. All of this could have been avoided if all parties involved were actually living how the Bible says you should live. Ain't that something? If the pastor was simply living by the word of God, he wouldn't be out here tithing and offering herpes to people in his church.
Speaker 1: What's that saying?
Speaker 9: Sin is not simply making bad choices on mistakes. Sin is having the desire in our hearts to do the will of the enemy of God. You chose to do the will of the enemy of God. Now they say, no matter the decisions you've made, Jesus loves you and will forgive you. It's a beautiful thing. But always remember God forgives herpes.
Speaker 2: Don't all right?
Speaker 9: You gotta pay this woman two point five million dollars. You know how much vowel tracks you can buy with two point five million dollars. More importantly, Pastor Ralph D and the D definitely stands for this nigga. Do you know how much relief two point five million could provide the members of your church? How many people in your church praying for a blessing? And you out here spreading glitter? Yeah, herpes is glitter because the comedian name Dmitri Martin once said, the thing about glitter is if you get it on, you be prepared to have it on you forever, because glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies. So if glitter is the herpes of craft supplies, then herpes is just glitter. And that's what you was out here putting on people. Do you know when people ask to describe you in one word from now on, that word is gonna be herpes. Personally, I think when you give someone herpes and you get charged for giving them herpes, and you and you have to give them two point five million dollars or any type of settlement like that, you should have to walk around in public with her past belt, okay, from the makers of her mess.
Speaker 2: You should have to wear her past belt.
Speaker 9: Hit me out, okay, same concept, same look, same feel, same H is just covered in tiny little clusters of rubies all over the H to symbolize outbreaks.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that lets everybody know that it's it's time for the it's time. Please get past the ralph d west to sweet sounds of the Hamiltons.
Speaker 8: Oh no, you are.
Speaker 2: Of the day, dogee all the day?
Speaker 12: Yee?
Speaker 2: Now, Charlomagne, I gotta make one correction what you said. The D stands for this IgA it's this, nigga, not this.
Speaker 1: I said this.
Speaker 2: No, you didn't say this. I mean you got a list.
Speaker 9: I can't understand what you're saying. Yourt messed up this morning. Now I'm my thost is better. Now you can get with this or you can get with that. Okay, all right? Well when you got the kind of tongue I got. Anytime you say anything like this that it all sounds like I'm staying there with a d It sounds like you're spitting two am. All right, Well, thank you Charlamagne for that donkey. Today, when we come back South Carolina, rapper Nick Grant will be joining us, and we don't get to him next, so don't move.
Speaker 2: It's to Breakfast Logan Morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: More.
Speaker 2: Everybody is DJ n V, Charlamagne, the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. Jesslaris is here, of course, and we got a special guest in the building. This new album, Sunday Dinner, is available now, ladies and gentlemen, Nick Grant, Nicky'll thank you for having me.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Apologies, man, please forgive me for sleeping on Sunday.
Speaker 8: Nah, so good.
Speaker 2: I got to it.
Speaker 9: I just got to it, man, I really just got to it. One of the best rap albums of the year.
Speaker 12: I got it.
Speaker 9: I got it right under Killer Mike by Just the Hair, by Just the Hair, by Killing Mike.
Speaker 2: Michael Nick's like a man, I respect it.
Speaker 9: I respect it, you know. I feel like this is the best album. I think it's the best rap album, sure for sure. Why do you feel that way other than because it's you just lyrically.
Speaker 8: I think I'm like above a lot of people. I just don't get that credit just because I don't have certain backing, I don't have certain things that you know, all I might or I might just be a threat to a lot of different You say that on the album, Yeah, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 9: So yeah, that's that's just what I feel. Explain my favorite it Sunday. Then it's just basically me just growing up in my grandmother's crib. My mom and father had like addiction issues, and you know, they in the periods of like breaking up and trying to figure it out. I would go back to my grandmother's house. You know, she was a little older raising me. But it was like, yo, all right, I got three rules, school, Church, Sunday dinner, you know, and I'm just picking up all of these different personalities that I want to become and don't want to become. Essentially everybody becomes, you know, an experience on the album when you talk about rapping, you talk about the way that you rap. You don't really hear that nowadays?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 2: Does that bother you? Deter you from from from you spitting because you know you don't really hear that much.
Speaker 8: I used to be pissed off about it, but I feel like my purpose and my story is just a little different, you know. I feel like I'm meant to be in this error just because maybe because it's lacking in this time, and that's my job to kind of carry on tradition in a way. I used to be upset about it, but it doesn't bother me.
Speaker 9: I disagree with what it be said, though, only because when you look at the last decade or so with hip hop, the top three rappers are all literally yeah you know what I mean, and that's Cole, Kendrick and Drake.
Speaker 2: And then you still got your wallets and your big Sean.
Speaker 9: You had your nipsies, you know, you had sure like all of those people rahaps these snaps, Like I think all of those people dope Carolina.
Speaker 2: So I just think sometimes it's just a matter of time. I agree with that with that more have you have you had your I made it moment yet I think one of them I had.
Speaker 8: I had a few moments that I'm like proud of. I think like touring with like Nas and Lauren Hills, it was like a good one for me. Yeah, just the experience of it was like, it's dope.
Speaker 9: You said that on the album and I'm like, I missed when he was on tour with Lauren Hill. Was the line when somebody missed that show?
Speaker 5: When when she.
Speaker 2: Had to do more songs, performed the whole album Jesus to come out.
Speaker 8: What was the you said you used to I used to watch Sister Acts. My cousin passed away, like on the field trip. So I wrapped about it on the album and I remember everybody like just going to see him. I didn't want to see him like that. This was like my best friend. So I was like, heyo, I'm gonna watch this movie. I'm gonna sit here and watch this movie. I'm ten years old in the crib watching this movie by myself. It kind of helped just get me through that moment with that trauma. So yeah, when I remember telling her about it on the tour, oh wow, and just kind of she just kind of helped me in that way. So I kind of felt like, you know, it was it was, it was, It was a perfect time. That was something I was running away from. A lot of the stuff you hear on the album is like a lot of just real life situations that I was running from and I just finally had to like look in the mirror and be like, yo, it's time.
Speaker 9: So was it that moment on tour with Lauren remembering yourself watching Sister that made you finally deal.
Speaker 1: With the passing?
Speaker 8: Absolutely? Absolutely? This this is an album that I wanted to put out a mirror tell you, this is like one of the albums I wanted to put out when I first came out, but I don't. I don't think I was like mature enough to tell it the way that I'm telling it now. When I first came in, I was, you know, like a wide eyed child. But now I'm just in a place where I'm like, you know, I'm matured enough. I'm thirty five now, so it's like.
Speaker 6: Okay, and you still look younger.
Speaker 9: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Was it growth? Did you do some work on yourself?
Speaker 8: Like absolutely, therapy for sure? For sure, Like you know, you're not in control of anything for real, You're under God's law and you got to find a way to fit into that.
Speaker 1: And I had to.
Speaker 8: I had to, you know, figure that out, and I just found found the courage and tell the story. Like even when you listen to like the throw of the album, it's like my mom, you know, my mom is like yelling at a boyfriend, but you know, and it's and it's it's a way that I never wanted the world to see my mom. So it's like, all right, that's the first step. The thing that I fear the most, got to open the album, you know what I'm saying. So God worked in a way to where it just fit pertrictly on the album and open up the album.
Speaker 6: So do you have a favorite song on their or what song means the most? So yeah, I like that what song makes you most emotional?
Speaker 8: Most emotional? I think it's the intro about class, worry about the classic, like just talking about all of that stuff. And I remember going to like my neighborhood and I remember he Wamir pulled up one day and he was like, Yo, ain't a windows on these buildings. And the whole time I lived there, I never really noticed that because it was like normal to me. So those things, those little things on the album was like things that I was scared to face once again. And I kind of like just put it together, kind of got it right.
Speaker 9: That's a great record. And you say in the hook, you say, I'm trying to get my people right. But y'all worried about the classic explain that because I got some thoughts. For me, it was it's like, Yo, I'm like I'm going through like different things. I'm like mature and I'm like finding myself. I'm going through like a whole bunch of stuff, just family wise, career wise as well. And while I'm going through these things, you get people like yo when the album coming. When the album drop, it like did you buy the last album?
Speaker 8: So I'm going through this stuff, like through these different things, and that's what that's what inspired like the hook, And I'm just like seeing people like, you know, not to be dark, but I'm just seeing people die young and hearing about yo, people that I saw growing up like leaving leaving us. So that was one of the things that I just wanted to address. And it's like, yo, I got like real life issues. And it's crazy because I feel like I've made my best body of work, not trying to make my best body of work.
Speaker 9: Yeah, because I would think getting your people right would be part of you making a classic record.
Speaker 2: Like if you're make a classic and it takes off, that's.
Speaker 8: Enough more money for sure.
Speaker 1: You know, so you kind of do got to focus on the album.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, you do, you do. But I feel like the kind of person I am, the kind of artist I am, you got to live life as well. You got to live life, and you know.
Speaker 6: That's what creates absolutely that class people. I mean, I don't I would imagine. I'm not an artist, never been a comedian. Yeah, but I'm saying like in form of music, like I mean, I spit it a little upit of the buzz too, but you know we're not need get.
Speaker 2: Here all right, Wait, we'p being on anything. It's like, right, no, what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I think you you would have to go through live life and go through your trying times and challenges. That's what makes the classic nobody goes in the studio like, yo, I'm in the class of the day.
Speaker 2: You don't want to tell the people tell you to.
Speaker 8: Be moved by the spirit man, to be moved by something bigger than you, you know, and me a lot of times, it's all about just carrying the integrity in there. Like I read something like that Quincy Jones said, He's like, yo, when you think about money while you're creating, God walks out of the rooms. You know, so you got to you gotta keep that first, you gotta keep you know, your story. The story is the most important. I feel like your story is a superpower. And definitely I've never really felt like that until.
Speaker 12: It is out.
Speaker 2: We got more with Nick Grant. When we come back, it's the breakfast Club. Good morning, want everybody in Steve j n V. Charlamagne to God. We are the breakfast Club with kicking it with Nick Grant, Charlamagne.
Speaker 1: Let's let's go to know your worth.
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 2: Another great record is that something you have to tell yourself.
Speaker 8: Not constantly, but it was something like like I felt like I have to like celebrate myself a little more because it's like work, work, work, figure out my problems, figure out the problems of the family, figure out all this other you just having so much on my shoulders to it was like, you know, yes, Like then when I wrote it, I was like, Yo, it's something about a black man just saying knowing you're worth and yeah, you know, celebrating yourself and patting yourself on the back. Yes, the smallest thing, because you still celebrate the smallest thing in your journey.
Speaker 2: So cause women say that often, you don't really hear men say that, like we're for sure sure, But that's that's the problem.
Speaker 6: No, it ain't no little sassy know it.
Speaker 2: Ain't you gotta know your worth.
Speaker 6: Ain't nothing sassy about knowing your worth, just say it's just that women. We like to say it a lot. And sometimes women say it and don't even know they worth. They just shouted because it's something to be said now. But not knowing you worth, that's but all human beings like you have.
Speaker 8: To know for sure.
Speaker 2: I want to jump to the record. Heaven, MM where did tweet? Where you get tweeted from?
Speaker 8: Now? DM tweet? You know, I'm like a huge fan of tweet, like the whole I always say, like, yo, when I was growing up, if I would signing to anybody, it'd have been Missy Tweet. Yeah, just that, just that whole camp just so innovative, so creative, and man, I just loved her voice. Southern Hummer Bird. Southern Hummer Bird is like a classic to me. So I just DMed her. She hit me back like, Yo, you're incredible. I would love to Oh wow, ain't boy the studio this black woman? Wow, you know, real black woman, Like i't even finish a song one of them got so yeah, no good energy, special person.
Speaker 1: I love Tweet. So what's the story you're trying to tell on Heaven? You're trying to convic the.
Speaker 8: Story on Heaven is basically it's still the theme with the album, and still align with the album, even when I start with the first verses like damn you brave saying you never sold crack in the funny industry where everything is in act, you know, you know, my whole story was like man, I would get an interviews in line and say I act like this perfect person, and it wasn't you know what I'm saying, because I was afraid to see who really was, you know, judge me, you know, but I think that was just a young thing and I got. I'm not perfect, I got, I got a lot of things that I'm working on.
Speaker 2: And you know you're worth for sure? Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 9: So is that why grandma said is wouldn't know your work? Because absolutely go hand in hand, like your grandmother had absolutely for a million, a million percent. Like even with my cousin from the beginning, like you're in the house, it's like certain things that trigger.
Speaker 8: Certain ones, trigger certain words and kind of yeah, helps the album flow. You're doing homework, doing this own.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not for really over there once you know, he listened to every song on So tell me about heaven like.
Speaker 2: Lyrics, like so what you said looking out come on?
Speaker 9: Are they putting pressure on you to put it off for South Carolina? Oh man, it's a good question. I'm putting pressure on myself.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 8: It's a lot of people that still don't know from South Carolina, even though I waved the flag so heavily, and you want influenced me with that in a way, like even with coming out, like yo, you got a whole state to yourself, like yeah, you gotta do that, and those these are like my experiences, like even when I went home, I shot a movie it's always love. I shot a movie, like a short comedy for the album, and just like the people and all the memories and all the different things. And you got a few people that's like, man, keep you know, repping the city, refer South Carolina. Right, you're the one that kind of that's kind of like a thing that keeps me going when I hear that for your parents, Yeah, it was, of course it was. I threw a little bit of like, you know, stuff about the music industry and stuff that I was going through in it. But yeah, it was, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 9: Because you don't if you feel you heard Mike's album and he got something something junkies and he did that, you know, basically he was saying that, you know that there's no uh, I don't want to say celebratory way, but when people are addicted, it's actually an addiction, like it's something that's not something that should be looked down upon.
Speaker 8: But sure, absolutely it's it's you know, disease, you know what I'm saying. So like for me, it was, it changed my life. I didn't see I didn't see it that way at the time, Like I didn't see like my mom like I would be angry a lot of times because the back and forth. So we went on council blessings, like, Yo, I went to thirteen schools by the age of fourteen. Yeah, just because of just because my mom's addiction and my dad trying to work it out and arguing and and you know, as I grew older and kind of found myself, I was like, yo, you know, these people are still human and they got their own issues, they got their own things that they're fighting, and I had a better understanding of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who was you mad at? Don't catch this fade man?
Speaker 2: What number was that?
Speaker 6: I only got to listen to three sounds?
Speaker 2: Number twenty? You know, so who was you trying to fight?
Speaker 9: I come in after when you shot out eight for three on that told me, Yeah, for your who was you mad at?
Speaker 2: You thought about shooting at people? And no I wasn't.
Speaker 8: I was saying, like, put the girls down and fight.
Speaker 2: The same way is having it. See, look y'all.
Speaker 8: See popan listen, I'm gonna found you.
Speaker 1: Oh he said, pop Pop?
Speaker 15: What he said?
Speaker 2: You said you trying you on your pop? Yeah, Pop, I'm gonna pop you in your mom.
Speaker 9: I ain't think that I was thinking shooting. Then you came back and said, which one of you try to catch his feet?
Speaker 8: And even like on the second verse I talked about like my first fight, got you got you just fighting somebody And I went in the house crying and my dad was like, crying, you wanted to fight?
Speaker 2: Why was you crying? It was my first one. I was fight.
Speaker 6: You had one of those dads like if you come in the house and you crying, I'm gonna make you go fight him again.
Speaker 8: Yeah, for sure. I don't know why I started crying. My feelings was hurt.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's your first fight.
Speaker 6: It don't matter what boy, girl, whatever, your first fight and you feel like you lost.
Speaker 2: Hell no, you're coming. I was crying. And if you got dad like him, oh you want You was crying because you want? Oh no, I don't know what was up with you. He was crying because you beat him up. He was say, no, if you would have lost, you wouldn't get angry. Okay, okay, that was.
Speaker 1: A childhood Yeah, that was like once in a lifetime.
Speaker 9: For Another common thing throughout the album is you keep repeating that you you're a threat to people.
Speaker 2: You feel like people look at you as a threat.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Lyrics, Yeah, lyrically. I think a lot of people stay away from me.
Speaker 9: Was there any particular moments that made you realize, like, oh, they really scared of me.
Speaker 8: It's I've been on record, won't names. I've been on records with like people that probably loving respect because the verse is better when it comes out. I don't hear off the record.
Speaker 2: I believe that happened.
Speaker 8: That happens a lot to me.
Speaker 2: What's so yo?
Speaker 9: Look at you.
Speaker 8: Don't even worry about it. It's been a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: Did you have a conversation with the artist after that, like why y'all took me off?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 8: I was just like, yeah, I ain't you know, we ain't built the light. I would have never did that. I would have been like, you killed me. You gotta write something else.
Speaker 2: They wanted you to be Nick Cannon.
Speaker 6: You're like, nah, I'm Nick gra.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna be wilding out.
Speaker 2: I'm crazy, all right? Col What did you put TD? At one point? It felt like it was a TD Nick Grant thing happening at one point.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it was. It was.
Speaker 10: I was.
Speaker 8: I was working with Punch on some stuff, just creative differences. He he had a group and I just felt like that wasn't the direction I was going. Yeah, and I had I had to get this story out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they wanted you to be in a group.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we did, actually did a group project with him. Yeah, they came out, came out.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that at all.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I don't want to promote because I ain't over there no more.
Speaker 9: But yeah, yeah, Well Nick Grant Sunday Dinner. Man, let's get into a record off the album.
Speaker 6: What you want to playing?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 8: Let's play? Uh Bravo?
Speaker 1: You want to play Bravo?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Nick Grand Nick Grant, Thank you for coming.
Speaker 1: Brother.
Speaker 2: Nick Grant is the Breakfast Club? More thing? Everybody your j n V. Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. And it's time for past the Awks.
Speaker 1: It's time for a pasty with DJ.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Djin.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 10: Na?
Speaker 5: What's up?
Speaker 11: Guys?
Speaker 2: How are you? How was your trip? I seen you was in Italy?
Speaker 16: Yes, I went to Italy and then I went to Rome for my mom's birthday. It was really really amazing. But the top of off, when I got back, I ended up getting.
Speaker 6: A call from Rhapsody.
Speaker 16: We opened up for Lauren Hill last night at the Barclay Center.
Speaker 2: So did she come on time?
Speaker 1: No, tell the truth. He was waiting around for a picture and midnight hit.
Speaker 16: She still wasn't, honestly, pretty much on time. It was just backstage of just a lot going on.
Speaker 6: But then you know why.
Speaker 9: Cleft is there, just there So the foolies came out there performed, so you saw the performance.
Speaker 16: I didn't say I had to be here in the morning.
Speaker 2: So she was late. What you're saying, it sounds like she was late.
Speaker 6: Why y'all always doing it?
Speaker 16: But let me tell you, guys this because me and Rhapsody have never performed together and we didn't have time to do a rehearsal. So she literally texted me the songs, text me to order, and our first time ever, y'all killed it. Yeah, we body, So.
Speaker 1: You're about to be rapsit your old DJ after you're.
Speaker 2: Telling me, I think that's coming.
Speaker 1: I would really like that.
Speaker 2: I feel that in the word a bomb for I.
Speaker 9: Want to na moons you through the good sister Rhapsody North Carolina's on. Y'all know I love Rhapsody. I'm telling y'all she's the best lyricist out here. And uh, I've heard some new music that confirms what I've always believed.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to hear the new album.
Speaker 16: That's right and honestly, like, I don't really enjoy being a tour DJ, but if I would have to sacrifice time for an artist like Rhapsody is overly worth it. Yeah, let's get into the music. Just to be talking about real rappers rapping.
Speaker 6: Walle is bag.
Speaker 16: I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: I love Walle.
Speaker 16: I know we just had the conversation last week or the week before about like the top three, and I feel like Walle should really be in included in these conversations. His pen is closed, like no one's really rocking with his pin, but what I want to Oh, okay, so let's get into his new joint called Max Julian for Laurence.
Speaker 2: That's dope, and he decided with def JM too right. They said he just did a deal with death Jam, so that's his first release. While now, yes, I had no idea that's on death Jam, right. I don't think he was j I don't think he was. He was like in the school then he was on MMG.
Speaker 16: Yeah, okay, he moved around the lot.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 16: I feel like Okay, anyway, I had the google who Max Julian was.
Speaker 2: Did y'all know who he was?
Speaker 1: Mac Julian.
Speaker 16: He's an American actor, sculptor, and clothing designer who played in Black Sportation, Blackportation film The Max in the seventies. And he's also from the DMV from DC.
Speaker 1: So thank you for the history lesson.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course.
Speaker 16: Next we're going to take it to Carolina, South Carolina to be specific. What an artist named Brittain Sure, and this record is called Goodie Feature in chiab just major.
Speaker 1: He sampled on yeah Brittain from White right.
Speaker 16: Yes, yeah, okay, I'm gonna leave that part out and just let people judge the music.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks mane great, great. I'm just giving context to it. I was trying to figure out that's the same person I was thinking about. I heard of Britain before fire.
Speaker 16: I like it well, and then he just dropped a little three pack ep so if you want like bars bars, he got that on there too.
Speaker 9: Britain, South Carolina. I think it's from the Metro. I think from eight o three. I think I'm not sure.
Speaker 11: Don't let me lie.
Speaker 16: I have no idea, but tap in and the last but not least is Maya the done and she had dropped the EP called Hot Commodity. But my favorite record on there is Hella Scary.
Speaker 9: Oh that's the name of the record, hell is Scary. Yes, I thought he said the record was Hella Scary.
Speaker 2: I was like, damn what I was.
Speaker 1: Prefraing to be terrified?
Speaker 16: Damn yes, So Mayaa done, hell is Scary, Hot Commodity out. Now, Maya's really.
Speaker 1: Really Maya is A is a presence?
Speaker 4: You hear me?
Speaker 1: Like my I met.
Speaker 9: I saw Maya in the BT Hip Hop Award. She looked like the president or something. Seriously, she's a prime minister of some place. Like she was in the back seat looking really bossed up.
Speaker 16: That's true, had big energy.
Speaker 2: You got real big energy. So Luthor Maya Dunk.
Speaker 16: Salute to Maya and also Saluta pass the ox live going down tonight. It's R and B night in Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 16: We had Cafe Uzulu with it, Ryan Trey is Hit in the stage, Leya and my girl Alex Vaughn. So it's gonna be super super dope if you guys haven't already dope RSVP. Download the playlist. Follow me on the gram at Nila Simone, n y La s y m O n e.
Speaker 1: E what them RSVP is looking like stacked crazy done.
Speaker 2: You need to all right, but thank you, Nla.
Speaker 1: You're out waiting for Lauren Hill.
Speaker 2: You ain't got things now when we come back, we got the People's choice, makes get your request and it's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Your morning's will never be the same. Good morning. Everybody's dj n V Charlamagne the God. We are the Breakfast Club now again. Shout to all the students at Howard University. Of course, I'm on my HBCU tour, so I'm still at Howard right now. Last night was the fashion show. Shout the Landscross ran into him. Last night me and Clue was DJing, and now today will be on the Yard. So I can't wait to see you guys. And then next week another HBC will just continue on my tour. What about you, Sharla.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna be home minding my own goddamn business, okay, damn it. And if I am going somewhere, y'all know, I will never tell y'all till I get back.
Speaker 1: That's right, okay. So I'm just happy that it's the weekend.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, right when.
Speaker 5: We come back.
Speaker 2: We got the positive notes, so don't move. It's to Breakfast Club. Good morning, Good morning everybody. It's j NV Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a sloop to Ida Rodriguez and Nick Grant for joining us. And if you want to hear that full interview, you could just check it out on the iHeartRadio app. You can download it for free, or you can check out Breakfast Club online dot com and.
Speaker 9: Make sure you get Ida Rodriguez's book Legitimate Kid. It's some memoirs out right now. And make sure you check out Nick Grant's whole album Sunday Dinner. You know, for all you folks that's always complaining about ain't no more Larry sits in hip hop. Man, these kids don't be talking about nothing.
Speaker 10: Nick.
Speaker 9: It's definitely somebody you should be checking out if you feel that way. South Carolina's own thiks grand All right, you got a positive.
Speaker 1: Note, Yeah, I do, got a positive note.
Speaker 9: But first I want to tell people make sure you go pre order my man Doug Melville's book Invisible Generals. It tells the amazing true story of America's first black generals, Benjamin Old Davis Senior and Junior, a father and son who helped integrate the American military and create the famous Tuskegee air Man. That is the next release off my book in print Black Privilege Publishing with Shaman and Schuster. It'll be in stores November seventh, but you can order it pre order it now, all right. Were dropping it the week of Veterans Day. In Visible Generals by my man Doug Melville. So salute to my gut, my guy Doug Melville. And the positive note is simply this man, be careful what you wish for uss, because it just might get to you.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 9: To wish bad things for somebody else is actually like looking for something bad to happen to you. Because when you wish bad karm on somebody else, you bring bad karm on yourself. Okay, you are consuming and bringing in negative vibes into your life.
Speaker 2: Life.
Speaker 9: Instead, be the person you wish they were, Be the person who brings only positive thoughts and good vibes into their own life, because being negative yourself will only bring negative into your life. Don't poison yourself hoping somebody else will die all right, have a great weekend.
Speaker 2: Breakfast club bitches.
Speaker 1: Do y'all finish for y'all.
Speaker 10: Done,