Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our day Break anchors all around the world. And just to handle the program, Earnings, earnings and more earnings, big Tech highlights the week, plus Chair Jay Cowell, the Fawn's the Fed's plan to continue fighting inflation. I'm John Tucker in New York.
Speaker 2: I'm Brian Curtis in Hong Kong. We look at China's efforts to do more on the global stage.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline Hedker Hair in London, where we're looking at the European response to the Israel Hamas Wool.
Speaker 4: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend, the business news You need to wrap up your week in just one fifteen minute podcast available on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business App, and everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Hi everybody, I'm John Tucker, and we begin today's program with companies opening their books. A big week for earnings with about a third of the S and P five head at reporting this coming week. Among the highlights, Google, Meta and Amazon. And let's start right now with Bloomberg Intelligence Senior US retail analyst Punamgoyle as she covers Amazon for us put them good to talk to Amazon reporting third quarter earnings in the coming week, can you break down for us the part the important parts of Amazon. They're not just selling stuff online that then gets delivered to my front porridge.
Speaker 5: No they're not. They're doing a lot more than that. So when you think about Amazon, you clearly have their marketplace, which is Amazon dot Com. But they also have a big business known as awus, which is their cloud business, which not only is a growing business, it's also Amazon's most profitable business, contributing to largely all its profit are most of its profits today. Those are the two big businesses inside Amazon. But within that there's also a third business which is now a forty plus billion dollar busin it is their advertising business, and that business continues to grow at a twenty percent plush clip. It also boasts high profit margins, which we think will be the third growth river to the Amazon story and a key one, especially in the coming years of the scales app business.
Speaker 1: Even further, Yeah, you know, when I signed up for Prime, I got Prime Video, and only because I can't share somebody's Netflix account anymore. I think I've switched to commercials on that and is that really a driving force for them?
Speaker 5: Well, it is so right now, their advertising business, the forty billion dollars roughly business that I talked about, is primarily driven by their retail business. So the add on of these ads onto Prime video is incremental. And remember you have the option right you can choose the ad free version and pay for that, or you can take the adversion, So the clients will have an opportunity to decide what works for them. Given that they've added this new revenue stream for advertising, it's only going to help growth even faster for the advertising segment of their business.
Speaker 1: You mentioned AWS, How does generative AI everybody's latching on to that. How does that figure into it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Generative AI is really something that Amazon is investing heavily in, just like the rest of the world, including tech companies and even retail companies. You know, it's all about making sure that you can really use the data that you've have hand at hand, and you can implement solutions to make it plus frictionless for the consumer and also provide capabilities to businesses. For Amazon, which is for AWS to really grow their business in a way that they couldn't do it before.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: We've heard of AI for a very long time, for decades, it's been around, but generative AI is truly game it's a game changer. And our colleague wandsays, we're in a whole piece on generative AI where you know, they talk about just the growth in that industry and the investments that are going to come and I have already started to begin. That's really going to help improve ROI across every facet of the organization, whether it's on the e commerce side, whether it's in the back office, whether it's in marketing and advertising. I mean, you name it. It's going to implement every it's going to have an impact on every part of your business.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Prime Day events was so what do they tell us? How did they go so far?
Speaker 5: They actually went really well. You know what we noticed over the Prime Day that just happened recently is according to numbers that we've seen, sales were up about six percent. And that's pretty impressive just given that we're in a period of time where the consumer, you know, could be stretched a little in terms of their pocketbook because of the growing interest rates, the rising debt levels that we're seeing. Consumer confidence is clearly you know, not where we'd like it to be. So we do think that having a respectable mid single digit game based on numerator numbers is a good number, and it's actually bodes for the holiday season for Amazon. The desire for value is clearly fun and center in the consumer's mind and we saw that over Prime Day.
Speaker 1: Okay, so real quick, what do you expect from Amazon's results?
Speaker 5: I think the results will be good. On the online side. We'll start to see mid single digit game, which is an improvement from earlier this year when salesware down. I also think the cloud business will hold study. Our analysts who covers the cloud business you know, thinks that the uptick that we wanted to see later this year won't come as soon as we expected, but the business will still hold study at around a twelve percent clip. And next year is really when we'll start to see improvement in the cloud business of growth rates will begin to pick up. The longer term opportunity for aw rest remains very much impact with margins increasing and growth also increasing.
Speaker 1: That's the preview of the Amazon from Bloomberg Intelligence. Senior US retail analyst Punham Goil put them, Thanks very much, appreciate it and the other earnings we're keeping track of and previewing Amazon and Meta platforms. And to take a deeper dive into that, Bloomberg Intelligence Senior technology analyst man Deep Sing joints us, what's the overarching themes for all these companies?
Speaker 6: Well, so, for Alphabet and Meta, clearly there is a read through on ad spending and it is tied to Macro. So if Tesla is saying macro is not looking good, that doesn't bode very well for ad spending. At the same time, these companies have much easier comps going into this quarter because the last four quarters weren't that great either. So my sense is, given what we have heard so far, they should at least have an inline quota or at least better than expected given the easier comps I alluded to, and the ad pricing has gotten better from the data points that we've gutted so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had those bang up results from Netflix. Does that give us any indication what we can expect here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So, Actually Alphabet has exposure to YouTube where which is very similar to Netflix in terms of the subscription side of the business as well as ads, is much bigger and what Netflix said last night was they were able to raise prices without really causing churn as well as they saw some lift in their ads business. Albeit it's very small for Netflix, but clearly the read through is YouTube numbers should look solid when Alphabet reports. And now on the cloud side, another of alphabet segments, the tailwinds are their generative AI investments should help Alphabet Cloud segment actually to post better than expected print.
Speaker 1: All right with Punam we discussed generitive AI. How does it apply here? I mean specifically, give me a good example.
Speaker 6: So Alphabet has launched their own copilots for their productivity suite, so these are subscription based offerings as well as the entire training of these large aguage models is done on the cloud and Alphabet we know Google Cloud is one of the most formidable players when it comes to generative AI training.
Speaker 1: What are large language models?
Speaker 6: So in a nutshell, these are you know, models that can do a lot of things, you know, from being a chat bot to doing language translations, to helping you with your searches and really you know, with the chat gipt wave catching on this year, this has become a big market. In fact, we think it's going to be a trillion dollar market over the next ten years. In terms of influencing how we use our software, this will be a feature in everything we interact with around us with a software, websites, apps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every time I use my free YouTube looking at videos on that, it asked me if I want to sign up or the paid subscription service? Is that really a driver a lot of people going to that? I think so.
Speaker 6: YouTube, just to give you some numbers, has a two point seven billion monthly active user base. Compare that to Netflix, they reported two hundred and fifty million subscribers and out of that two point seven billion for YouTube they have about eighty to ninety million paid subscribers. And now they have launched YouTube TV, they're showing live sports content the NFL Sunday Ticket So clearly things are moving in their direction and the subscription revenue should come out pretty strong.
Speaker 1: What's specific to meta platforms earnings?
Speaker 6: Are you looking at the reality lab losses? They keep saying every time the street models lower losses, they say, we are still spending on metaverse and.
Speaker 1: Clearly that they still don't know what metaverse is.
Speaker 6: Yes, so they are. They've just released a third version of their Quest headset and they're still investing heavily in it. At the same time, I think Meta has turned around in the sense they've done some effective cost cutting as well as the ad site has rebounded. And look, they are a formidable player in the large anguid models and generateor AI space as well.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg Intelligence Senior Technology analyst man Deep sing Man Deep thanks a lot for stop off. I appreciate it. And just to head on Bloomberg day Break Weekend the future of the interest rates, we bring you a conversation with Federal Reserve Chair J. Pllell. I'm John Tucker, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look a heap of the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm John Tucker in New York. Up later in the program reaction from Europe involving the conflict in the Middle East. But first we're going to turn our attention to the economy. The Federal Reserve currently in its quiet period until November three, but our David Weston going up with the fedshere J Powell right before that quiet period began and got his thoughts on the economy and the interest rates.
Speaker 7: We all write down our estimates of the longer run neutral rate every quarter in the Summary of Economic Projections, and that's based on models. It's based on also looking out the window and including lags, thinking how are our current rates affecting the economy. So the evidence of your eyes is that the economy is handling much higher rates at least for now, without difficulties. So notionally, that might tell you that the neutral rate has risen, or it may just tell you that we haven't had rates high enough for long enough. You're right, though, but you know, we have models for everything, we have formulas for everything. Ultimately, as a practitioner, we have to, you know, focused on what the economy is telling us, even taking lags into account. What's it telling us. Does it feel like policy is too tight right now?
Speaker 1: I would have to say no.
Speaker 7: I think the evidence is not that policy is too tight right now. And word five five and a quarter to five and a half percent.
Speaker 1: That was Jay Powell speaking with Bloomberg's David Weston late last week, and we're pleased to welcome David right now in the studio for more on his interview with a chairman. My impression with Palell's speech preceding you to the Economic Club of New York was that it was, And I'll use the phrase that our interest rates strategist Tira Jersey used kind of wishy washy, see a wishy washy kind of guy.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm not sure he would embrace that description. But one man's wishy washy may be another man's optionality and saying, we don't know a lot of things right now. We have to be able to move in different directions. And he clearly is incremental. He wants to take it data point by data points, see what comes in. Doesn't want to commit to early. He's not a grand theorist. I think he would admit to that.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm more than happy to have other people do my work for me and kick up my feet on the desk.
Speaker 6: Is J.
Speaker 1: Powell able to kick up his feet on his desk at the Federal Reserve in Washington as interest rates rise and the bond market might be doing some of the work for the Federal Reserve.
Speaker 8: Well, we talked to you about that specifically, whether, in fact, particularly raising the yields in the longer end of the curve, we're really doing some of his work for him. And when pressed, he allowed as how, on the margin, as he put it, on the margin, it reduces some of the pressure to keep interest rates going up. At the same time, he thinks inflation is coming down, perhaps a little more slowly than he would have thought it is coming down. At the same time, the economy, as you know, John, is just really charging ahead, which is I think a conundrum. But he says, look, it's good news at least so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's just I just can't believe the figures, especially when it comes to consumer spending. I suppose a lot of this is left over from the pandemic that we have pent up spending. Did he address that at all the reasons behind why the economy and especially the US consumer is just so darn strong at this point.
Speaker 8: He certainly said that there were more savings than they had understood.
Speaker 1: That was his prize.
Speaker 8: They had more dry powder, if you will, to spend down for the consumer that they've really kicked in. He also suggested that perhaps part of it is just a pent up demand because we were cooped up for so long, and so we're coming out, whether it's travel or its other experiences, to really spend money. He also suggested that in fact, we will see some slowdown and that's not necessarily a recession. I'm not saying that, but we will see some slow down and probably as we get into twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: A credibility is so important at this juncture. And just to tell everybody just to go back in time just a bit. It was a time when the United States dollar was backed up by gold, something really credible you could put your hands on. Then along came the Nixon administration and they sort of gutted the Breton Woods Agreement where there was a gold standard, and then you had the US Central Bank had to come in and that had to be the credible source to back everything up. That's kind of the history of why it's so important. Is j Pal in your sense, a credible guy? And is the institution as we know it today credible institution?
Speaker 8: Probably one of the most important questions there is in the economy today, John and I guess I would say time will tell. Thus far, I think he's been fine. One of the issues though, I think John and I did ask him about this is do you have as much control over the economy as we thought you did. There are some people who indicate. Larrie Summers has said this to us that because of the so called terming out of the debt, both corporate and household, that is to say, when interest rates were zero or close to it, people took a lot longer term debt and as a result, when they raise intertrace now a lot of people and corporations are not directly affected because they got their money locked up for a while. And I asked, is that a real issue. He said he thinks they still have effect with respect to interest rates, but he allowed, as how that is something of a change in the economy.
Speaker 1: They've got this target of two percent inflation in the US economy. David, I have no idea where that number came from. Are they really sticking to that or can that sort of fluctuate?
Speaker 8: If memory is serious. I think it came from New Zealand. Originally New Zealand said the band came up with that, as I recall, And that's a good question. But I think important question is not should it be two percent? But if they change it at this point, does it do more damage than good.
Speaker 1: There's this thing we call the neutral rate, the rate that the failed reserve wants. That would no longer be contractionary for the economy and would no longer stimulate the economy. Does he give any indication of does he have any idea where that should be?
Speaker 8: He calls it the long term equilibrium rate. That's what you're talking about, and some people call it our star, right, that sort of number. And I asked him that flat out, because back in twenty twenty, you remember, they changed their framework, and he said he thought that that equilibrium rate had come down to about one point eight from about two point five. I asked him where he thought it was today. He said he thought most people thought it was a little under two. He's around two percent, he thinks, is what it is?
Speaker 1: What kind of a time frame? Does he have a time frame or when we can see number one, the true effects of the previous policy tightening taking effect. I think it was Milton Friedman the University of Chicago who came up with the phrase long and variable lags for monetary policy, I eat the tightening.
Speaker 8: I brought that up with him quite specifically. I said, Okay, long and variable we understand that how far are we through those long and variable laves? Are we twenty five percent? Are we fifty percent? He said, nobody can know. He also said he thinks it's different than when Milton Friedman came up with that phrase because Center Bank's now telegraph so much more, and so it affects my financial conditions, which is a way of tightening policy without actually raising rates. So he said it may be different how long and variable they are, but he refused to commit. And basically, by the way, John I said, how can you set monetary policy going forward if you do have a sense of with your twenty five fifty seventy five percent way through? He said, no, we'll wait and see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it used to be in the past where you wouldn't see an immediate reaction in the markets at least, but with the added transparency from the Federal Reserve, you almost see it instantaneously in the markets. He addressed that as well well.
Speaker 8: The financial conditions clearly are doing part of the work for him, and they very much are focused on financial conditions in the extent of tightening. And certainly John obviously came up with what's going on with bond yields because we've had real tightening with the ten and the thirty. What's happened with it? So and he recognizes that's an important part of how they try to influence monetary policy is.
Speaker 1: The transparency working for the Federal Reserve. I mean, you remember from previous Fed chairman, you didn't know what the hell they were talking about at times.
Speaker 8: But he's come back a little bit from that.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 8: At one point it was all about forward guidance, and now he's a little more reluctant to give foreign guides. It's not like the Greenspan opacity where you really, as you say, he'd go up to Congress and you had no idea what the man was saying. He certainly is much more transparent than that. You have to put that together, John once again with what you called wishy washy I said optionality. He's taking it one step at a time. We have to remember he is a lawyer like I'm a lawyer, and listening to him talking to him, he's a very smart man and you know, learn in hand. The famous judge once said, if I get to write the facts in the opinion, you can write anything you want in the law because the facts are determined. I think my impression of j. Powal, this is just me talking now, is that he is that kind of lawyer that he wants to take it fact by fact and that will tell us where we're going. He doesn't come in with a Cartesian theory like Descartes, a theory of the case in advance.
Speaker 1: Well, that wasn't wishy washy at all and very transparent. David Weston, thanks a lot. I we appreciate it. Just ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak weekend, we take you to Asia and look at how China is trying to reinvigorate its role on the global stage. I'm John Tucker. This is Bloomberg. I'm John Tucker in New York with your global look ahead of the top stories for investors in the coming week. At the height of the Israel Gaza conflict and China's economic slow to how is China trying to reinvigorate its role on the global stage. To find out more, Let's go to Bloomberg Daybreak Asia co host Brian Curtis.
Speaker 2: John. If last week's Belton Road Forum told us anything, it's that despite recent issues, China still wants to play a role on the global stage, the leading role, in fact, of an alternative block to the West. Never mind that its hands are full with a property crisis with a stumbling economy, or that his Belt and Road initiative has garnered some charges of China being labeled an irresponsible lender. China sees the Big Infrastructure project as a big success, and Russian President Vladimir Putin degrees. I caught up with Daniel ten Kate Bloomberg Asia Ekogov Executive editor and asked him how she and Putin used the bri to move forward. First, from the perspective of Vladimir Putin.
Speaker 9: China is a safe space for him to show that he's still embraced by countries, particularly in the Global South. He needs that diplomatic support to fight the isolation that the US and its allies are trying to impose on Putsin. For she, he sees Russia as a key diplomatic partner, a way to fight back against the US worldview and US rules. And this is particularly in the context of Taiwan.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Dan ten kid Well Alan Wong Bloomberg, China Eco guv Editor joins us for a little bit more in the way of insights on where China goes next. Alan, thanks very much for being with us. So I'm wondering in the coming week, might we see more efforts by China to mediate in some way in the Israel Hamas conflict.
Speaker 10: China has always been trying to play it a role of the peacemaker. It has proposed some sort of pre peace conference between Palestine and Israel for many decades without great success, and it will try to say things that signal its intention to be mediator, but based on our experience, that's unlikely to go very far. But China wants to position itself as a country that could bring rivals together, unlike the US. Yet, one of China's greatest diplomatic achievements in recent years is helping broker a deton between Saudi Arabia and Iran. And it's definitely going to try to do the same thing again if it can between the Palestinians and Israelis. But then that's extremely unlikely because it has tried to do the same over the last couple of decades with no success.
Speaker 2: We know that the two heads of state had in depth discussions, some of which was very private, and obviously they both made speeches. Do we know how they are approaching the idea of anything together in the Middle East?
Speaker 10: I mean, China has for decades framed itself as an ally of the Palestinian people. These ties go back many decades and back to the mal Era. Though has moderated somewhat in the recent years, it will not change his position on this sympathy. But in terms of what she and Putin can really do on the ground, I don't think there's much they can beyond rhetoric, and the most that China would say right now at this stage is that they want both parties to come to the negotiating table and stop any hostilities. But realistic there really isn't much that China would do or I mean, there's no reason for China to pressure Putin to persuade its proxies, or Iran to pressure has Bola to reduce his support for hamas this is unlikely and this will also undercut the China Russia partnership.
Speaker 2: We talked a little bit about the Built and Road Initiative as part of China setting up institutions to stand up to the West, primarily to the United States. In your view, how successful has China been in building up some of these institutions, including BLI and including BRICK and others.
Speaker 10: The b o I is a loose network of bilateral trade agreement and infrastructure projects, and it's never been formalized as like a centralized institution. In fact, people dispute over what really counts as the BI projects, and then there are projects that predate the br that are now counted as br projects. So that goes to show that it's not a very organized investment scheme. But then there are attempts by China or it's part to try to turn it into something more institutionalized. For example, in the summit this week, Csinking announced the launch of a secretariat. We don't have any details about what it's going to do, but it sounds like one step in formalizing the br I initiative going forward.
Speaker 2: Something that is, i suppose not exactly part of br I, but the power of Siberia to the gas pipeline that is supposed to bring gas from from Russia in to China. A little bit of progress.
Speaker 10: There probably we know that Putting and she spoke on a sideline, and then this is a great opportunity for them to talk to hash out the details of those deals. And the pipeline itself is a win win solution for both China, which is in need of energy and for Putin, which is in need of someone to buy the oil and gas. So I can't see why it wouldn't move forward more briskly after this.
Speaker 2: Earlier I asked Dan ten Kate about what he saw as the main issues in the China Russia partnership.
Speaker 9: Fundamentally, they have different views on the world. Putin has been known as sort of a rule breaker, someone who's not scared to militarily get involved in Syria. You know, we saw what happened in Ukraine that put China in a very awkward position. China, and she in particular still very much wants to be part of the global system and see itself as one of the leaders of the world that has some respect.
Speaker 2: And alan your thoughts on those issues.
Speaker 10: There's extra pressure on China to distance itself from Russia, which is unlikely because China has declared a no limits friendship a partnership with Russia and has reaffirmed it over time despite the Ukraine invasion. We know that lots of EU leaders shunned the Beltan Row Forum this week because of this position that Beijing has taken. But China knows this cost well and it deliberately went ahead with it and giving putting the platform in the Great Hall of the People, so it knows what he's doing and for the time being, there's no reason for China to change. It's a friendship or partnership with Russia.
Speaker 1: In fact, she's.
Speaker 10: Thinping hailed the profound friendship between China and Russia and his personal friendship with Putin, whom he has met dozens of times in the last ten years, and that's not going.
Speaker 2: To change now. China would say that it's the US that is the aggressor, and that the military, the size, and the fact that the United States has kind of helped design the world order for so many years since the Second World War, that that is one of the reasons why this kind of loose grouping of a block to stand up against the West exists. But you know, we look back at the block that used to be the Soviet Union and in essence it bankrupted itself trying to stand up to the West. Is there any danger that China is going down that road as well?
Speaker 10: The pandemic and the economics slowed down in China are hurting China's ability to find money to land to its developing country partners but the bigger problem here is that those partners are finally harder to borrow money because of the interest rate environment and also because of the impact of the pandemic on their domestic economies. The greatest threat I think will come from the developing world inability to continue to grow economically, not on China's ability to land money. Really, and China also is smart enough that it's no longer pursuing the kind of big infrastructure projects that Belton Road Initiative was initially known for, and it is kind of pivoting to a small is Beautiful strategy this year, focusing on smaller projects that are more efficient, that are better, you know, investments, instead of flashy new airport, railroads.
Speaker 2: Alan, thank you for joining us, Alan Wong, Bloomberg China ecogov editor. I'm Brian Curtis, along with Doug Prisner. You can catch us every weekday here for Bloomberg Daybreak Asia, beginning at six am in Hong Kong and six pm on Wall Street.
Speaker 1: John all right, thanks to Bloomberg Daybreak Asia co host Brian Curtis, and just ahead here on Bloomberg Daybreak weekend, we'll head to London and get a European perspective on the Italy's conflict. I'm John Tucker, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend or Global look ahead of the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm John Tucker in New York. There are fresh concerns that is whereas war with Hermas will spark a bigger conflict in the Middle East. European leaders, including UK's Richie Schunek and Jeremany's all off Shaws, have tried to exert influence of the region to contain the conflict. For more, Let's hit to London and bring in Bloomberg Daybreak Europe anchor Caroline Hepger.
Speaker 3: John, there are now not one, but two major wars that have broken out in the past two years that threatened global stability. For the European perspective, I've been speaking to Jane Kinnenmont, Policy and Impact director at the European Leadership Network. I began by asking Jane Kinemont about what form she thinks the ground more might take between Israel and Hamas and what to expect next from the Israeli authorities.
Speaker 11: I mean, Israel's made it clear that it wants to launch a ground invasion, and also that there will be a high price both for the Palestinians in Gaza and for Israel. There's a lot of underground tunnels in Gaza where Hamas is likely to fight, so it would be a conflict where Israel's military superiority from the air might not help it that much. But also lots of uncertainty exists because Israel's endgame is not entirely certain, you know, it doesn't know. Because this har mass attack, it was a complete strategic shock. Many people had warned that there would be some kind of explosion of violence as a result of the neglect of the Palestinian issue and the lack of peaceful avenues for Palestinians to take their cause for but the predictions were more centering around escalation in the West Bank or in Jerusalem, and Israel and many of its partners felt that it had Hamas contained, you know, and that it understood that threat and had ways to manage it. So now Netanyahu's strategy towards Hamas has been upended, and Israel does not have a clear replacement strategy. They say that they want to destroy Hamas, but they don't necessarily know that they can do it, but the bigger question still is what comes after. You know, one option might be for Israel to reoccupy Gaza, not that that would be legal under international law, but in terms of the military and political options, that's something being considered, but it's not something they strategically want to do.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, then give me the European perspective. I mean we've had the German Laschel's visit Atala also and she medi space yesterday that seemed to have some of the similar sorts of lines around democracy and Macon. I mean, Europe has so struggled. You know, the traditional view of Europe is that it struggles with foreign policy because there are so many countries. What is the European perspective?
Speaker 11: Now, that's very much the issue is that European governments have got very different perspectives, you know, beyond the fact they all agree there should be a two state solution, but they don't know how to get there. With Ukraine, we've seen Europe being united to an unusual degree and that has meant that vonder Lane has emerged as more of a foreign policy leader than her position normally warrants, but actually in Europe, there has been a backlash against her taking the lead over Israel and Palestine because her expression of solidarity with Israel has tended to come without the kinds of points that President Biden is making about the legitimate aspirations of Palestinian to a state and the need to respect their rights. And so we've seen really different noises coming out from different European governments, with some saying we should cut all way to the Palestinians and in a far out of the other end example, there's been a minister in Spain who has said that Netta Yahoo should be tried for war crimes. So getting a coherent European position together is an issue.
Speaker 3: So that was Jay and Kinemont, the Policy and Impact director of the European Leadership Network for the European perspective on the conflict in the Middle East. I'm Caroline Hepkee here in London. You can catch us every weekday morning for Blueberg Daybreak here at beginning at six am in London. That's one am on Wall Street. John.
Speaker 1: Thanks Caroline, and that does it for this edition of Bloomberg day Break Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street time for the latest markets overseas and the blues you need to start your day. I'm John Tucker. Stay with us top stories, Global business headlines are coming up right now