Speaker 1: Mute for us.
Speaker 2: If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to Software Radio, Special Operations, Military Nails on straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to another awesome episode of soft Reap Radio. I am your host, rad and today I have very special guests, actually have two guests. But before I introduce you to the first guests on the show today, I want to talk about our merch store. Right, you guys have supported us. You've been keeping the lights on and the fireplace lit by going into the merch shop on softwap dot com. Keep buying some stuff, picking it up. I really appreciateiate it. We all do. Brandon Webb says thanks. I say thanks, all of the guys behind the scenes, ore producers. We really appreciate you picking up the merch, the coffee mugs, the torch lights, all that stuff. I also want to reference our book club. We like to read around here. We have lots of books that just hang out, like let me just grab some here, like call me hunter. We have Androne right here. I got lots of books. Okay, steal fear from Brandon Webb all these books. Go check out our book club that is soft rep dot Com Book hyphen Club, as I put away the rest of my books here. Now with that said, I have a command start major with me today. Goes by the name of Charles V. Sassar, Junior, Command Sergeant Major, Retire, retired. Charles V. Sassar, Junior, is whose career in the United States Army span three decades. He served in a multitude of leadership and duty positions. Born in nineteen sixty six, Charles entered the Army in August of eighty four with a deep commitment to serve his country. His early years in the military saw him undergo training at Fort Benning now for Liberty, Georgia, where he completed basic training and Infantry Advanced Individual Training or AIIT, setting the foundation for a career that would take him to the far corners of the world. Throughout his military career, Charles had numerous assignments and deployments. He served in various divisions, including the twenty fourth, one hundred and first, eighty second, twenty fifth, second fourth, and the first Infantry Division, where he ascends to the pinnacle of enlisted leadership as the divisions divisions Command Sergeant Major. Charles's leadership journey also included roles such as Brigader Operations Sergeant, Major, small Group leader at the hundred and first NCO Academy, Recruiter in Southern California, and an observer controller at the National Training Center. Charles's commitment to professional development was unwavering. He completed all the non commissioned officer education courses, the first Sergeant Course, and pursued additional specialized training that included the Ranger Course, air Assault Repel Master Course, Airborne and Jumpmaster Course, Pathfinder Course, and the Joint Firepower Control Course. These courses enhanced his skills and knowledge, making him a well rounded leader in the military. Throughout his career, Charles embarked numerous deployments to regions such as Panama, the Sinai, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, and Iraq. His combat experiences and leadership in these diverse and challenging environments demonstrated his unwavering dedication to his country and the defense of its interests. Charles dedication and exemplary service were recognized through a myriad of prestigious awards and decorations. His accolades include two Legions of Merit, three Bronze Stars, medals and numerous other honors. These awards were a testament to his outstanding contributions and leadership in the army. Upon retiring from the military in twenty fourteen, Charles transition seamlessly into the field of defense contracting, where he continued to make a significant impact. His expertise in military training and development led him to roles where he trained and advised military forces in countries like the United Arab Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Iraq, Nigeria and Afghanistan. He played a crucial role in enhancing the capabilities of these forces and contributed to their readiness. Charles post military career was marked by versatility and adaptability. He served as a protective security specialist at the US Consulate and British Iraq, where he was responsible for coordinating protective operations and assessing security threats. His certifications in firearms training, compound defense, explosive counter terrorism measures, and personal protection reflected his comprehensive understanding of security measures and the risk of mitigation. Furthermore, Charles ventured into strategy and operations consulting, drawing on his extensive military experience to provide invaluable insights and guidance. Charles's commitment to personal growth was evident in his graduation from the prestigious National Defense University Keystone Course. This program, designed for Commands senior enlisted leaders called see Cells, honed his leadership skills and provided invaluable insights into joint operations and national security, further expanding his knowledge and capabilities. Charles and his wife, Francis. Hello, Francis have a daughter, Amanda, and a son, Sean. We have sewn on the show with us. They have been married for nearly forty years, and I think commands our major. At the end of all of that, that forty year commitment is your best business contract you've ever been a part of. Absolutely well well, well, Sean, I'll get to you in just a second. All right, you came from this man's resume. Alright, you are the spawn he pestered your mom the right night, at the right time, and here you are. Okay, there's a lot of I'm tired, bro, I don't know, Sean. You know, Mother's Day is totally about the mom, but Father's Day is thanks Dad, thanks a lot. Welcome to the show, both of you, Sean, Charles. That's all the time we have exactly Edward out. No, it's wonderful to have you now, Sean, being the son of Charles here, I haven't even looked at your dot sia yet. You know. Let's just read it cold, shall we should we hit it? Let's do it, do it? Okay, it's not I'm just kidding, all right, I'm going to read into Shawn's background so you guys know who we're talking to. Shawn was born on June tenth, nineteen eighty eight, and Frankfurt, Germany, to Charles and Francis his older sister, Amanda. His parents chose to name him the Irish Version, after their best friend and army buddy John, who coincidentally shared the same birthday. He started preschool in Kindergarten and Fort Campbell, Kentucky, after his family moved there from Germany. Being a military brat, Shawn's parents encouraged him to explore various sports and activities to find his passion. Soccer and chess captured his attention, revealing his innate strategy thinking and aptitude for math. These formative years laid the foundation for his love for competition. The family relocated to southern California. Where Shawn attended school in Highland. During his time there, he dealt into sports, participating in swimming, chess, and other activities. Shawn's strategic mind continued to shine, particularly in chess, where he excelled. Next, they moved to Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Again you know those names are changing with the bases, but again where Shawn attended fifth and sixth grade. His academic excellence led to his enrollment in advanced classes. Retrained at California and later settling in Hawaii for his high school years, Shaw became deeply involved in sports. He also explored new hobbies, including skateboarding, dirtbike riding, and wrestling. Now in Hawaii, he played baseball, ran track, and developed a fever for football. His passion for football grew and he immersed himself in the sport, gaining extensive knowledge, especially in college football. Now, after graduating from high school, Seawn decided to follow in his family's tradition of military service. Although he initially considered the Special Forces program, he opted for an intel job with the Army, heeding his dad's advice to volunteer for the Ranger Regiment. Shawn served as a human or a human Intelligent Collector interrogator and spent time at the regiment's Special Troops Battalion, also known as the STV. His dedication and skills were recognized, and he worked alongside of Navy Seals the Navy Seal Teams during his deployment to Iraq in two thousand and eight. Throughout his military service, Shawn received valuable training and experiences in the special operations community. He was stationed in various locations including Fort Lewis, Washington, and Hawaii. Despite facing injuries during his deployment, he left the Army as a sergeant. After leaving the military, Shawn embarked on a journey of self discovery. As we all have sewn. He traveled across the United States, stayed in Nebraska for a time, and eventually settled in the Fort Carson, Colorado Springs area. There he pursued a degree in kinseology and Strength Training. Did I say that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, My degree isn't exactly kinesiology, it's I have a bachelor's and Health Sciences with a focus off.
Speaker 3: So okay, perfect, perfect, and now let me just let me finish the rest of this little intro here. During his junior year, shawna earned an internship with the University of Colorado Buffalo team, which is very much popular right now for sure, right solidifying his passion for the sport. The team appreciated his dedication and invited him back for all of the home games. Shawn's love for football and his extensive knowledge of the game grew stronger throughout his life. Shawn's love for reading and his interest in philosophy have remained constant. He aspires to earn his master's degree in philosophy, combining his intellectual pursuits with his passion for football. Shawn's journey from his early years in Germany to his time in the military and his dedication to football and education pat's a wonderful portrait of a resilient and intellectually curious individual. His experiences have shaped him into the person he is today, combining strategic thinking, physical fitness, and a thirst of knowledge in his pursuit of success and fulfillment. Okay, I just want you to know, this is the biggest introduction I've done for anybody on my show, the longest. I would love to see these. If you want to write in and be on the show, send me one of these I'd love to introduce you like that because we get to know you on the show. Now I have both of you here, Charles, you joined the military at a young age. You decided that this is what you were going to do. Was that something that you always dreamed about doing? Was just being in the military or were you looking at like baseball.
Speaker 4: So my father was in the Air Force, got uncles in the Air Force, uncles in the Army, an uncle that was in the Marines.
Speaker 5: One of my grandfathers was in the service.
Speaker 4: So it was kind of like a natural step to join one of the services. We ended up when I was in elementary school, fifth grade around a Pope Air Force Base and Fort Bragg. Now, as you said, Ford Liberty, and so we round a lot of the eighty second, one of the Army folks, and so I decided to.
Speaker 5: Go the Army route.
Speaker 4: Now, when I first went in, I didn't Francis and I got married right out of high school. I went off the basic in at and got stationed at Fort Stewart, and the plan was unknown. I didn't know if I was going to stay in for that four years that I initially enlisted.
Speaker 5: For or continue.
Speaker 4: Of course, I you know, did reenlist and then even up to about ten years. After ten and I became a senior and CEO and kind of started maturing in the military.
Speaker 5: You know, I decided I was going to stay in at least twenty to retirement.
Speaker 4: Of course, twenty hits and I'm doing well, then nine to eleven hits and it's you know, deployment back, deployment back, deployment back, and before you know it, thirty years is up. And I had done exceedingly when exceedingly further than I ever imagined, you know, blessed to become the classar major like you said, for the first Satory Division. And even then I was going to stay in past thirty I was actually going to come out of the program. For anybody that works for a general commands our major it works for a general, it's known as the nominative program.
Speaker 5: So I was going to come out of that because I just needed a break.
Speaker 4: I deployed and back into quart back and the quot back, and I was just tired. I was going to go down to Forms to the Stark Major Academy and run the international program. And I discussed it with a commandant down there, and the starting Major of the Army, and you know, he said fine, he said, you know, go down there refreshed, and when you want to go back into the program, let us know, and then I COM could compete for three and four star nominated positions. Then we came out to Florida to watch promotion ceremony for a guy named Randy George, who is now the Chief and Staff of the Army. The brand new Chief of Staff just confirmed he was my brigade commander, the one that hired me. He has the brigade commass our major under the old system of how they used to select, and uh so we came out there watch him get his start hit he made general officer and we were just tooling around the Tampa area where he was he was stationed down there working at SITCOM, and we kind of looked at each other, and everybody always says in the Army, and I'm sure they say it everywhere, you know, you kind of know when it's time it's time to stop, when it's time to retire, when it's time to quit doing it. It's almost like, you know, we both had the same light bulb. Yeah, I might go back and call the summaged Army and with him, I'm just going to retire yea, So it was there was the right choice, a good choice.
Speaker 5: Again. I got into defense contracting, so I didn't get far away.
Speaker 4: I like getting around any military and training is u is my passion, especially training, military, teaching and instructing.
Speaker 5: Sean enjoys it as well.
Speaker 4: Back when I can coach to the high school football for a while there in the in the color Ros Springs area. One opinion putting on his uh on his I know, yeah, I mean that's kind of brought me to where I'm at now. Still still going doing some security work here around the Ormando area. I'm not sure if I'm gonna go back overseas or not. I've got some offers for that and for some other other things. But have a good time still and you know, still still fit, even though you know, I had some some injuries and some authritis and some other things to go along with you know, getting older.
Speaker 3: But are you sure about that? Are you sure about that?
Speaker 5: Still enjoying life.
Speaker 4: And then Seun John just moved out here to uh to the Orlando area this past year. So if we could convince his sister family to move down here, we'll well, we'll all.
Speaker 3: Be Florida, Amanda, Is that right? Remember that? Yeah, you're Amanda.
Speaker 4: Three little boys and they live up in Illinois, so we're trying to convince them to come down here to Florida.
Speaker 3: But that's where grandpa is a built in babysitters right there, Uncle and Grandpa right there, Amanda, you know you want some free time, try to help sway the scales here right now. Following in your father's footsteps, you know, I also come from my father behind me on this mantle with his flag. He's a former Green Beret passed away, you know. And I also had the relatives that were, you know, in the military, grandfather, World War two, et cetera, you know, all the way to like Napoleon. I'm related to these guys that are, you know, military. So it's like, did you think military? Was that seventeen high school? You're like, that's it for me. I'm going I.
Speaker 5: Think from the moment that I could conceptualize a career, I think that's what I wanted to do. That was always in the back of my mind. This guy was always, you know, my hero from.
Speaker 3: Right me same yeah, yeah, and I didn't.
Speaker 1: And like he has said his dad was in the Air Force too, so we always had military.
Speaker 5: Our family run up a military prat.
Speaker 1: I was always around the military, all of our friends, all of his friends were military, so.
Speaker 5: I was always around it.
Speaker 1: There was always in the back of my mind a sense of this is what I'm gonna end up doing.
Speaker 5: Once I got to high school, though I really wanted to.
Speaker 1: I really got obsessed with football, and I really wanted to play college ball, and that didn't pan out. I'm thankful for it now, but I wanted to follow in his footsteps.
Speaker 5: And go infantry.
Speaker 1: And this was always you know, as a kid, you don't really know that much about what you know, the difference between military jobs and the trajectory that sends you after you get out. But I didn't care. I wasn't thinking about that, and he wouldn't let me do it.
Speaker 5: He talked me out of it.
Speaker 1: He said, because of my you know, ASVAP scores wherever they ranked, and because of the need the military need at the time for intel.
Speaker 5: He basically said, no, you're not going You're not going infantry. You're doing this human rout.
Speaker 1: And so I trusted in his word, and I'm glad I did because it led me on. It led me on a fun fatht in the military, and I highly enjoyed my job.
Speaker 3: You know, that's good advice, you know, to say, hey, try to actually come out of the military with more than just a ground pounding resume, which is no offense, you know, ground pounding, but you know, coming out with something a little bit more technical that the armies put into your brain cells. That's what's up, right, because it's in there, right, they made sure you read those books and that you pass those courses on that subject, right.
Speaker 1: I think, I think everybody that is a fan of the military or has military background.
Speaker 5: You know, we got some Tom Clancy novels back here. You read, you read like the Jack Cars coming out with these new novels.
Speaker 1: You read this and you want to be Every boy that grows up in a military family wants to become this, this operator, you know, this bad ass. And again I'm I spent some time amongst badasses. I was myself.
Speaker 5: You know, I was thankful to be in regimen and work.
Speaker 1: With work with seals and all these guys, and but I'm glad, you know, in a sense, it's kind of bittersweet.
Speaker 5: You know I would have.
Speaker 1: I would have liked to, you know, see into that realm a little bit. But at the end of the day, I'm glad that I'm glad that he you know, talket some sense into me. And like I said, I really enjoyed it. It was it was different, and it was what would you say, it was interesting to say the.
Speaker 5: Least dealing with me.
Speaker 3: Let me probe a little bit.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: Let's okay, So we know right now that recruiting and retention in the army and in the military across the boards looking for a few good men be all you can be, you know, you know, go Navy, join the coast Guard. Would you redo it? You know, would you go back and say, hey, it was worth raising my hand making that decision to join and going through all of what you went through and doing it again, you know, for the listener out there who might be on the fence, they might be on possibly walking into a recruiter's office, I would do it again.
Speaker 1: Personally, Yeah, I I you know, like everybody, I think that is a veteran that's deployed, you know, dealt with some issues and I'm still dealing with some of those issues.
Speaker 5: But I would do it all over again.
Speaker 1: The I think if you're able to parse out, you know, the good from the bad, learn your lessons from the bad, help them, you know, allow you to grow as a as an individual, It's worth it at the end of the day. And I wouldn't trade you know we I'm sure one day we'll all share a beer in person.
Speaker 5: We can trade some more stories.
Speaker 1: But when you get those that kind of build your character, and you know, when you're when you're writing your memoirs in your head towards the end of your life.
Speaker 5: Here, I think those are worth it. So I made some really amazed I met some really amazing people.
Speaker 1: Raising you know, some of the closest friends in my life are still They never lived near me, but they're still.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like I can go years without talking to these guys. And because you know, you share these deployments together, you pick up a phone or you just the city.
Speaker 5: Hey, Bone, hey Hank.
Speaker 1: Hey, I need I need, I need a couch, I need I need a bad today.
Speaker 3: I got you.
Speaker 5: I agree. That's why That's why people will.
Speaker 4: Typically, you know, nine nine percent will say they do it again, not because of or in my opinion anyway, not because of everything that they did and all the things that they achieved, but mostly because of just the people and without if you if in your mind, if you go, well, if I say I wouldn't do that again, then I wouldn't have all these great friends. We were coming back from I was driving down from Washington to here with him when he moved out here a few months ago, and we stopped by a guy's house that he knows because he was my betunity leader in eighty second and stayed in taught chet I.
Speaker 5: He went to your basic training adulation. I think that was deployed show. Yeah, Darrell.
Speaker 4: So he lived out in the Uh, dear Dallas and mckittie hadn't talked to him, hadn't seen him other than you know, some texts and things like that. Walk in and it's like, you know, we just saw him yesterday, and then you know, we started telling more stories next time, you know, and it's you know, two o'clock in the morning, needless the same. We didn't drive the next day, and so we stayed an additional day.
Speaker 5: We covered a little and UH and chatted with him.
Speaker 4: But you know, we've got we both got those friends, you know, and my friends or his friends as well. Big John McComb, who has the same birthday, you know, lives out in Kansas. He was in the army for a while and you know, great guy, and he did the same thing with him and many others.
Speaker 3: So it's really just a bond of the person next to you, like in a Blackhawk Down the movie where they which is kind of you know, it's the anniversary right around Operation Gothic Serpuit, you know, Danny McKnight and all of them. I think there's a quote in there where he's like, you know, we do it because of the guy next to us. You know, most people don't understand why we do it. It's because of the guy next to him is doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at the end of the day, when you get there in those situations, that is what you're doing it for. Yeah, I mean you know, yeah, you're doing it for your country and you know, the nation and other people. But mostly at that point it's just you know, you're thinking about the person next to you.
Speaker 3: You want Bobby to come home, and Bobby wants you to come home, so it's like you're doing it for each other. It's like, oh, I want you know, the heart's there, the patriotism's there. But once you're in it, I'm sure it's like, uh, we're just gonna get home, bro, and then I'm gonna meet your wife and you're gonna meet my wife, and we're gonna get We're gonna have our kids, are gonna hang out, and uh, we're gonna have these great relationships. And then, like you said, a few years goes by after you get out and you guys still click and it's still like, hey, we still have that love for one another, that that bond right never broken.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know, back to show I'm going in.
Speaker 4: He's got such a strategic, forward thinking mind that you know he needed to do do something more. It's funny because my aspect scores my best, the best part of my aspects when I ran, we're clerical, which it helped me in the in the end because as you you know, as you grow in your army, you have to do more administrative stuff and so you know, I got pretty good at it, and.
Speaker 5: The asbad told me that I would be good at it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, he you know, I knew that the Randy regiment was standing up is brand new. It was the first you know, first Command Team vert commanding was a guy named Jim Mingus, who is now the Vice Chief of Staff of the Army, who.
Speaker 5: Was the Vergade commander right after Randy George. So I ended up knowing him.
Speaker 4: But before that time, I'm sitting in uh Iraq or Afghanistan, Shawn's and Iraq, and I used to call him and talk to him, and I said, hey, he had met Randy George. I say this, this, this guy named Jim Mingus, this guy named Jim Minus is going to replace Randy as a BREVIDI commander. And I said, I've heard that name somewhere before. And Sean said, you know, I know where you know it from. I'm like, hell, do you know where I know it? He hadn't been in the army, but you know, a few days and he said he was my battalion commander.
Speaker 5: So he was Shawn's battalion commander.
Speaker 4: The very first Radie mind STV commander. And then as you made pul colonel, he replaced Randy George. So this guy was his commander and my commander both so small world.
Speaker 3: The last name Sasser. You're a sergeant. He's a you know, sergeant major, like is there a shadow that you're getting. So I go to the VA and they look up my last name and they're like, are they look at my Okay? My dad went to the VA and they looked up the last name and they're like, are you Aaron? And he's like, do I look like a leg to you? That's what he said, okay, because I'm I'm the Aaron, right and I'm the leg. And he said that to the clerk. And my mom's like, he sure have heard what your dad said when they asked if he was you because we're both in the VA. Now, what about you? Do you have any of those types of like, hey, Sasser cam here is your dad? Is this your dad?
Speaker 1: You know it's such an uncommon name outside of outside of him?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: Yes, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I ever crossed path with anybody that worked with him. Won't trying to think outside of Colonel Vengus or us now, I don't know if we ever if I ever crossed baths with anybody. We got a funny, uh indirect story where his uh you say, his his inspiration cross paths with some of the guys that I worked with.
Speaker 5: So we're sitting around We're sitting around one day in the office. I'm pretty sure at the Friday, you know most Fridays we come back from lunch.
Speaker 1: And this is when I was in when I was at betting and regiment still and on Opportunity starre in Farm Burskin. We called him Teddy b Teddy be sitting there behind his desk and I hear him chatting with some of the squad leaders and team leaders. You know, I'm a I'm a jee at the time away to private or at PFC, and they're talking.
Speaker 5: About this how they were at the they were at the bar of the club or something, and they're doing this uh jump master dance, and I'm like, huh, that's funny.
Speaker 1: And you know, flashback outside of the story years ago, him and his buddy, I don't even know, was it in Brag or Buffalo, it was it.
Speaker 5: It was somewhere. It was at a club and in Brag.
Speaker 1: So in Brag him is Daryl. Darryl's before mentioned. Darryl started this jump master dance where they would where they're at the bar, digging around and yeah, they're they're well, they're da Yeah, we were.
Speaker 5: The music is playing. We were both going through drum Baster School at the same time.
Speaker 4: So we started doing this kind of you know, uh a deal with you know, using the using the JMPI as.
Speaker 3: A dance, like looking out the door, making sure it's all clear, you know, making sure there's a huge.
Speaker 5: You know, huge circle around the bar.
Speaker 1: And so they start talking about this and I'm just you know, listening, like I'm sure I got a ship eating grin on my face. I'm like, I'm like, you know, I throw it in there casually, like hey, my my dad and his pl they they invented that. They start they started that back in the day, and they're like, oh man, there's no get out of here.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I'll prove it. So I get them on the phone. I don't say anything. I say, hey you, Darryl, you know, dance or bar anyway.
Speaker 3: So yeah, jmp I dance and I hang up and everybody's like, so it's become a lore legend.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So that's you know, you see the influences of that, and that was you know, we had a kick out of that.
Speaker 1: But going back to your question, I don't know if I ever crossed path with anybody that worked with you, And I'm trying to think.
Speaker 5: I'm sure I did, but I can't think of it.
Speaker 3: It didn't dawn on them, and now maybe after they're like, wait a second, Okay, this is all making sense, right. No, you you ran your own rucks. You ran your own you know, did everything you had to do, did your own push ups, did drone pull ups. You had to do all those things to do what you had to do. Dad just had to bug mom to get you to do those things. That's so awesome. Now I want to talk about Charles has a rack. Okay, when I mean a rack, I mean like, I know your eyes are up here, okay, so major, but like right over here, see what's side I oh yeah, left side. Okay, You've got more than jump wings. You got more than like a civ or cab badge. You got more than a Pathfinder badger. You got like four or five Pokemon collectibles there that uh I like to call, you know, awards you've earned. Can you is it Pathfinder? Right? Pathfinder?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 3: Okay, Airborne.
Speaker 4: Everything that I people will go to, you know, they'll just get these you know, locks and chances to go to these places which.
Speaker 5: Look a little bit.
Speaker 4: But I went to Airborom School right before I went to the eighty second, but I had to go, so I didn't go to airbroom School right away. In the military, I went to Jump after school because I was there in the eighty second. I went to eriksol at school in a promoster courts because I was part of.
Speaker 5: The hundred and first. I was in a path finding position out at.
Speaker 4: INTC all over your ROC's and kind of you know, managing the and evaluating the units to come to or helping them evalue with theirself. The position that I that I was in, I was a OCI for Scout and uh you know it was they had that uh embedded in it.
Speaker 5: So I did it then, so you.
Speaker 4: Know all that And of course Ranger school, I mean you had an infantry guy, you know, you you kind of want to do it just to get that experience and uh, you know, see off you can push yourself and and do that. And I actually went to range school twice because I was injured the first time and uh and left, so I knew what was was expected up to then. But all, you know, all that stuff I did was was because of the aid position I was in kind of just all added up to.
Speaker 3: The big you know stack as you say, yeah, you kind of just went step by step by step of your day, daily life and the next day you're now, okay, cool, I'm going through ranger you know, in dock or whatnot, and trying to push that. That was like a two week program to get through the ranger in doctor Nation to go to ranger school. Is that right?
Speaker 5: So when I went to Ranger school, I didn't do a RIP.
Speaker 4: Now a lot of units require people to do a little pre ranger course before they go, but I didn't do it. They did have I don't know if they still have it, but they did have zero week, which didn't count towards anything except for you got the chance to get out on the land of course, go ahead and pike the PT test, the swim test, practice on the optical courses and you know, do a twelve miller and all that. So when everybody else came in after zero week, you had already knocked out quite a few things.
Speaker 5: So that did did make it easier.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you something about that. Let me let me ask you something about RIP real quick, or about like going through the course as someone who's possibly in the military, right now wanting to go through the ranger course and they're thinking about it, and you've done that, do you have access to run the cue the course and like train on it priority? Like are you going in blind not knowing that you got to swing across X y z? I mean, is the weaver or any of that kind of stuff, Like do they give you access to that? Is there like some kind of preconditioning work up where you can get familiar with those movements?
Speaker 5: So, I mean obviously you.
Speaker 4: Need to you got to know how to swim, so you know, practicing the swim test that they do there is absolutely you know, a good idea because you might go all the way there and fail that. You know, you need to be able to pass the PET test, which their PEG test includes, and I believe it's still the same way chin ups or pull ups, So you got to be able to do that. Land navigation get out, you know, and be familiar with that because once you get through what they call the rapport the radio assessment phase portion of it, where they kind of weed out everybody that that that it shouldn't be there because they got weeded out be ready or mainly ready or whatever, then you kind of just get on with the patrolling and all that, and there's not a lot of I mean, there's still the you know, the small fest where they you know, uh, you know, doggy out, but it's all learning and patrolling then and then then it's just a matter of hey, I got to suck it up without the sleep.
Speaker 5: And then the worst thing for me was the food because I love to eat. The sleep wasn't It didn't get me that bad, although you know.
Speaker 4: I did struggle a few times, but just just eating, I think I lost twenty twenty something bounce. But Army got some great The national Guard actually runs. When I was in we were sending people to a National Guard had a pregranger right forbidding or an't remember what it's called now, anyway, they've got to run there. That I think it was had the highest rate of first time goes or passing all the way.
Speaker 5: Through of any other pregranger. Because if you run a pregranger as first every division.
Speaker 4: Or the eighty second or sport, you got to take those instructors and all those people out of hide.
Speaker 5: You know, you're not task organized with did those people that do that? So you actually have to do it on your own.
Speaker 4: So it's a great it's a great deal to be able to send people somewhere where that's all they're focused on. One of the guys that runs it used to work out at the ranger camp. He's now to billion. That's they're kind of their EXO or deputy commanding officer or something. Now I was never into rangers, but Seawan had to go through and I want to call it now RASP and or Rangers Injury Assessment solection program. Certain leader leaders have to go through RAFT and used to be.
Speaker 5: Listed and uh go through the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you went through also the Ranger program, right, Seawan, I.
Speaker 5: Never got tabbed, but I went through where it was. It's called RASP. Now it's the selection process to get into to get into regiment.
Speaker 1: But it's probably one of the only, if not the only regret of my military careers because this this one gets to talk smack on me, is I never got tabbed.
Speaker 3: So I'm a leg I have to live with a green berry calling your leg but on his leg, so you're his.
Speaker 5: But four weeks of RIP was was no joke.
Speaker 1: It's you know, we started out with one hundred and fifty seven and fifty five made. It's so about to do third nutrition rate in the in the rip program there and it was hell.
Speaker 3: I've heard stories of guys going through you know, the in doc and some things that I still want to say because I don't know, but you know, it just sounds like a good time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was the best weeks of my life. We'll say, yeah, sure.
Speaker 3: Right, it's a good way to sum it up, right, So I don't want to scare someone on the Fenceive going, ranger, Go do it right, Go check it out, Go see go get tabbed, Go get in the regiment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you have the intestinal fortitude, it's that's the place to you know, that's the place to test it somehere.
Speaker 5: You just got to laugh when you're when you're there, you just gotta you gotta give it in.
Speaker 4: And lou mean and I used to tell a great instructor, you know, quit tomorrow because they were all I quit tomorrow.
Speaker 5: They came, you know, you already tomorrow. Because there are people you could just.
Speaker 3: Walk away like maybe tomorrow. Maybe I got through today, but maybe tomorrow. And they're just like God, fine, be one of us. Now let me ask you this. Let me go back real quick, for our listener and for anyone. Uh, they have changed a lot of bases in the US military because of past names Confederate and things like that. So now Fort Benning it's called Fort Moore, and uh that's right. Yeah, I just wanted to put that out there, you know, because they are making I want to get real with it and start appreciating what they're doing here. So Fort Moore was Fort Benning and uh wow, I mean that's a whole nother phase right there. You know, I grew up in an armory in Utah with my dad running the armory and all the guys, and uh, it was a very different day. And now we've flipped that page and a lot of the same brick structures are still on bases that are from those eras, and you know, all of that juju of trying to do the right thing with naming these bases, and now they're going say, hey, we got to get rid of that and that stigma on it. So what do you think, Yeah, well, I mean, you know.
Speaker 5: They things changing the in the in the military.
Speaker 4: I mean I wore five or six different types of uniforms just in thirty years.
Speaker 5: You know, so much changes. I think Uh.
Speaker 4: Fort Bragg was the only one that didn't name it after somebody someone because they call it for livery. But the rest were named after great Americans that served either as infantry guys or you know, the aviators.
Speaker 5: That they named for Rucker after, you know, and uh and you know greats. Hey, you know, build flow me And it's I still say full Bragg a lot, just because it's embedded in me.
Speaker 4: Not but and bending because I couldn't remember it was more to live but uh yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: They're all still the same. And and the structures and the people make it anyway, like you said, and and some of those places are they're just timeless.
Speaker 4: I mean I love going it for betting before More and just seeing seeing the jump tower and all those you know, the whole barracks and you know some of them are gone now, you know, been driving around those.
Speaker 3: Places when you were at four More Fort Benning, Okay, it's almost like Twitter and X I swear it's like when you were there though, Okay, when you were there. Were you there during the time that the Tank Division was merged into the infantry base there and they had a mechanized unit and then all of a sudden outside the base and when Abrams was painted light blue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I I yeah, No, I wasn't.
Speaker 4: They did have an ententry unit there when I went through there just one to tie. And when they moved the Armor school before Knox, I was actually still the division commands our major for one ID and we had more brigades in that division at the time than any division in the Army.
Speaker 6: Of the eight brigade and three of them were outside of Fort Riley, five on Fort Riley and then one at Fort Knox where the armored schools at, one at Fort Seal, and one at Fort Linnarpoot.
Speaker 4: And we actually go out and visit the folks at uh at Fort Knox, and I think I was chatting with one of the senior leaders there, can remember who, but they had just had a meeting and with one of the congressmen or senators from Kentucky. And we at our we already knew this at Fort Riley that they were really upset that the Armor school was moving away from Fort Knox because, I mean, as you know, as everybody is aware, I mean, a military organization brings a lot of money to a state.
Speaker 5: I mean a lot of money. They want to Fort Knox is.
Speaker 4: Still open, but there's human resources in the RTC command. I think it's all that's up there. I've got a We've got a good friend, Jimmy Locke. It was my EXO and US three at the TIA Brigade that works up there in the HR area. I haven't talked about it, but I imagine it's a pretty, uh like a ghost town.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a huge That was a huge footprint that moved away from there. Of course Georgia was happy, but.
Speaker 4: More got really big, a lot of new you know buildings and you know, new infrastructure and.
Speaker 3: A whole new payroll from a whole new brigade moving in right within that two mile splash zone of a base, right there's usually you know, going off base within two miles, you go to the local pub, get somebody, the tailor shop. You know, you got your you know area that those those businesses right there, the economic burden that they have to sustain, you know, of losing all of those patrons because you know we're gonna shift them. And I'm glad there's a base open here. Hill Air Force Base in Utah. We were talking briefly about how you stayed here or came out here to do some stuff. You know, it was always on the it was possible. It was always on the chopping block at one point. And they're always like, we won't let it happen. And when I was released, when I was re doing my lease for my shop up there right outside hill, I said, hey, I want a close in here that says I can back out of our contract if the base gets shut down. And landowner looked at me, like, what, that'll never happen. I was like, well, then put it in the contract. Especially with my business that you got the war games I do, war games I sell. Yeah, I have like a whole I have a couple of stores. I have an indoor shoot house up there that uh you know, we have all the guns on the wall, all the combat battle rattle everything. Yeah, it would be. It would affect all It would affect all the pizza places literally, you know, like these guys that get you know, five six pizza set up to the squadron would be gone.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I might ever during ways be very poor Campbell during when the first ball of war went down. I mean probably fifty percent of the businesses around for Campbell just either just took a break and stopped and then open back up, or just now look like COVID, I guess, you know, just just everything shut down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and living through that and knowing that, I think I've put myself in my company in a good spot for that again, you know what I'm saying. That's why I said, hey, if you're if you're willing to say it'll never shut them, they'll never shut the base down, then put it in the contract. If you're not scared, then don't be scared. Right, It's okay. Yeah, Now now now that you're out of the military, okay, the both of you are out, are you re enlisting it all? Sean? Is this something in your life? Or you're done?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I actually got med board, So I went through a medical chapter and that pushed out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, gratulations, Yeah, you know, it's it's a it's a bettersweet ending, but I'm done.
Speaker 3: How many med boards did you have to go through before you got the rating that you deserved?
Speaker 1: You know? I did the initial med board to get pushed out, and then I think one or two after that. You think reevaluating twice, you know, I think I got re evaluated twice, and then that was the.
Speaker 3: Do you think that you really needed to be reevaluated twice?
Speaker 5: Are you asking it?
Speaker 3: I'm I'm asking you. See, so going through an emty B board, you have to, you know, go through they're gonna give you a rating h X y Z, you know when you get out of the military or d D two fourteen gets stamped with whatever. That's what I'm saying is like, you know, I've dealt with a MED board. It was a bit of a back and forth circus. Yeah, okay, and I'm just like, you know, who are these people that are running these things?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's there's.
Speaker 4: Been bad I mean, some stuff, you know, obviously gets re evaluated because you could get better. I got a letter one time saying that, you know, they were gonna take a look at the portion of my via disability that my back right, your back is combined into everything. So all the stuff by your back is really just one thing. But one of mine is degenerative disc u s order and authoritis. And you know, just by virtue of the name degenerative, it's not going to get any better.
Speaker 5: And so that was kind of odd to me. But anyway, it sorted itself out. I know a lot of great people working at the VA doing these things.
Speaker 3: And did you have to get any outside council to help you with your METB board or did you guys just get it done with your own ingenuity? Right?
Speaker 5: No, actually, you know I got the DAV helped me out. And then what was that other organization again? Remember the name, Yeah, that's the one you gave me. Yeah, there was another company that our organization that got involved. Yeah, so you can only have one advocate as far as the VA is concerned, So you have to go in and change yourself. Mine is still the.
Speaker 4: DAV, but they've got an office out here at the at the VA hospital that we both go to.
Speaker 5: The DAV has actually got an.
Speaker 4: Office there, So it's a good it's a good one to have person, you know. Yeah, the BA in Ornando area is great.
Speaker 3: I mean, and I bring that up because you know here we are, right, It's it's a real thing. It's a conversation of after the military. There's others that are probably listening that have been through the same exact office, you know, the same exact you know process, and it might have been frustrating for them. And I'm just trying to or not. It could have been seamless. It's like, hey, obvious injuries, it's one hundred percent, you're out, you know. Or it's hm, you're thirty thirty percent, Well now you're forty fifty percent. Now if you keep getting now you're sixty percent. Well we'll just roll you into one hundred percent. I'd like the VA just to kind of like say, hey, you did your time, You're good to go. Here's your you know, I don't know what I'm trying to get at. Maybe you can hear what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I probably didn't have as much as much angstra problems as a lot of people just because of my virtue of my position.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So I sat down with one of the doctors at the hospital at Fort Riley and they went through and anybody can have this done. But I mean, you know, basically, I you know, I said, hey, I'm gonna sho O for this, and they had, you know, one of the senior doctors went through page by page, you.
Speaker 5: Know, with me on thanks, and then you know, went to the VA and.
Speaker 4: Was it at in Kansas anyway, went to a V hospital in Kansas and kind of finished everything up, and.
Speaker 5: There was a couple of things that I had never had done before.
Speaker 4: I had some high speed hearing tests that I had never done before, you know, more than the standard hearing test that determined I had Like I knew I had tonight itis anyway, the ring, but it actually you know, the was able to people feed it.
Speaker 5: Down on paper.
Speaker 1: So I think the system now is a lot better because they I think they started this before you got out to where before you would get out and have to continue the process of doing everything, and then they change it to where all right, you're going to have everything done before.
Speaker 5: You get out of the army, you know, the final sign out so to speak, or day out. I think that's what kind of you went to it, and why.
Speaker 3: No, it's crazy And I would say that at the VA. You know, what I'm trying to point out is that you know that it might sometimes get a bad rap from people who don't go through the process, like the outsiders that are saying the VA is it supporting its veterans or the you know, the processes is very convoluted with you know, hurdles, and I know it is right, it's red there's red tape involved with you know, going through the process. But I still want to say that we still have something that is better than nothing, right going to the VA, being able to go there. I've been to England and I've been to other places and they don't quite have the same infrastructure for the veterans' services what we kind of take for granted here in the US as an American, we are like, oh, it's just not good enough. But if you go and just take a second and look outside of ourselves and see what anybody else has for their veterans, It's like, that's right, mate. You get one day a week, one day a year with your medals, and that's cool with us. The rest of the day, it's like, where's their veterans? So it's good to hear that you had a good experience and that you've had decent experiences.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I've always, like I said, I've gone to the VA. I've taken my dad to the VA. Actually my mom was the VA caregiver. Holy cow, power to the moms out there that are pushing around all the dads that are two hundred and forty five fifty sixty pounds now because they can't help it in a wheelchair.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you see a lot of out there. You talking about other militaries.
Speaker 4: I uh, my last overseas gig was Brandon Nigerian soldiers and although they have a volunteer army, they really do not get treated well at all of the I was teaching patrol and techniques over there, and there guys show up and maybe sitting under a tree, and they say, with him, he's got a malaria or he's got typhoid.
Speaker 5: So much is he doing out here? Sending back to the barracks put.
Speaker 1: On him.
Speaker 5: And then you know they they had a protein shape and a loaf of.
Speaker 3: Bread for their meals and they were content.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were happy.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, they're fighting the bocah Rama up north, you know, a brutal insurgency, and you know they're actually they're joining and fighting for their country literally because they're you know, they've got people that you know are inside it and invaded and that you know, we're trying to the change things.
Speaker 5: Of course, there's a lot of corruption over there.
Speaker 4: They've got a lot of money. They've got enough money to oil for it to be a you know, well stre all the corruption keeps it from happening.
Speaker 3: And there's the half to the half the hots right, because if there's any humanitarian food coming in, it's getting collected by whoever wants the humanitarian effort if there's any right and then they're going to distribute it out to themselves.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it never works. That never works too well. Unless we're on the ground.
Speaker 3: What's the situation where you were at? What was the water like?
Speaker 4: Was it like?
Speaker 3: Did they have wells? Did they did the places you were.
Speaker 5: At have So we drank bottle of water. Nobody drank out of the much some people may have drank out of Wales.
Speaker 4: But they have these little uh they would carry the perried around the big carts and sell it. There's little plastic bags of water, I mean really soft, so they just punch a hole in it.
Speaker 3: We had like a Caprice sun or something. Yeah, yeah, and I ate a.
Speaker 5: Lot of chicken over there and a lot of rice of variety.
Speaker 3: Pretty good though, pretty good cooking. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They they one of the big steakles of their diet are these huge football sized swing potatoes. And they allowed them to farm on the military installation. So as we're out there training on the ground.
Speaker 5: Patrolling and farming and picking and doing their things, and they do a lot of it by hand.
Speaker 3: There's it's like low crawling, but he's like just clearing out the cucumbers, moving along. Yeah, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: We tried not to, you know, get into farmers way because we didn't want to upset them. But you know, sometimes we had so many things going on that you know, they had to they had to, you know, put a little halt of their.
Speaker 3: Farming.
Speaker 5: I mean I enjoy training them a lot. I you know, I made some differends over there. It was it's a state department run thing all across Africa.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, taking an Elk trade military where you just try to teach some US tactics which are a lot better than the old tactic.
Speaker 5: So they're using so that they're able to fight a lot, a lot more productively, a.
Speaker 3: Lot better probably moving in like a call information, lining up, just like getting the bas a lot of old.
Speaker 5: Kind of you know, a lot of British influence there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they want to probably like watch yeah yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But the first battalion we trained, they went straight up to up north to fight.
Speaker 7: And you know we're doing reports that they were doing really well. So we were pretty happy to hear about that. We did patrol in convoy. Uh, you know, hit the ranges and try to make them a little better. They carried eight forty seven's arbig's and.
Speaker 4: And Soviet U style weaponry systems, CITs and land navigations and leadership training and things like that. So that's that's my passion training, you know, teaching, training, instructing, and you know Sean.
Speaker 5: Enjoys that well, you know, coaching all this. Yeah, yeah, that's just that's just my favorite thing to do, no matter if it's a little kid, you know, the grandsons or or somebody else.
Speaker 3: We do that all the time at the arena. You know, we're always instructing and coaching. Massive amounts of just regular public people showing up sixteen to twenty to time and it's like they never met each other. Maybe a couple, but here we are. First thing we do is we install install like a handshake or a high five. We're all on the same team and we're gonna split up and shoot each other. You're still on the same team. Okay, yeah, we want to do that.
Speaker 5: So we gotta make our way out to Utah and get out and check out your glaze.
Speaker 3: I would open the door for you. You just have to just show up. It would be no problem, Okay, especially if you've been on the show. That's a pass. Oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah. I mean we do night vision, We go out in the deserts, We got nods. We got guys that have got more in their eyewear than they have in their vehicles. Yeah, white foster civilians, former guys like yourselves. Maybe they don't. They're looking for some camaraderie. They can't find a hobby that they fit in. Then maybe they don't want to go snowboard because there's no snow Maybe they can't skateboard because they just can't. Maybe maybe, maybe, But you can go airsoft. You could come out to the desert. You can walk around with me and forty other people who all want to walk around the desert with rifles, and then we wave at each other and if you don't wave back, we shoot you. And then it just keeps going. So it's like it's really a nice day walking in the Utah desert or the mountains, exploring, looking for cucumbers to weed, and then coming into contact and then that happens so fast, and everything happens. Then he settles if you will, like the dust and you kind of like, all right, all right, he got shot, he's walking back, he's dead. Okay, he'll learn from that. I'm still alive and the rounds are still coming over your head. So you get this camaraderie. This like shoulder to shoulder. It's like I'm out of AMMO. It's like here, here's some AMMO.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like, hey, then we got a grenade. Yeah, here, better to have one than not have one.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like, so I find that, you know, today's air softer, whether they're fifteen year old who's playing wholeheartedly, just like they got it down, they got all the gear, they're all decked out, and they might become tomorrow's you. Right, So this is this is a good segue for them to say, Hey, you know, these guys did it. They're successful. There's life after what they did. They've made it through by listening to their instructors and using their training wisely and just you know, being smart. Right, that's what we want to show. I'm giving you these credits.
Speaker 5: We've been on a.
Speaker 1: Kick recently where we're watching a few videos from this this guy on YouTube kicking.
Speaker 3: Mustang Yes is channel Yes.
Speaker 1: Former former British says sniper I think and he does these videos and every time we watch it, well, I don't think either of us have ever done it or Soft.
Speaker 5: I've done pain ball, you telling them nurse. Every time we watch these kicking musty videos, we're like, yeah, we got it. So, by the way, it could be pricey and it could be time consuming, but that's something we got to get into.
Speaker 3: I tell my guys that kind of like, there's this there's this fine line where people are like, I shoot real guns. I'm like, that's cool. Who do you shoot them at? That's what I say. I'm like, you shoot real guns. Okay, cool? They want to come at me. It's like I shoot real guns. I'm like that's great. Nothing will ever replace the smell or the violence of a real rifle or a real gun. Nothing. Okay that you need to know that, But Airsoft. Airsoft in wargames is a whole nother game. It's cardio conditioning. I'm moving with my equipment.
Speaker 5: I have it on me.
Speaker 3: I know how it's going to work on my body. My headsets all set up, I'm dialed in and the fifteen twelve year old, thirty seventy year old, they're all dialed in, right, And so I.
Speaker 1: Think getting into that mindset of you know, the heightened state of awareness where you're thinking about tactics constantly.
Speaker 5: Like you said, it's not just a stroll in the park or whatever. It's no, it's tightened awareness for an extended amount of time.
Speaker 1: And getting yourself into that mindset is a sense of training, and it so fitness.
Speaker 5: For your brain.
Speaker 3: And if you haven't put face paint on in anticipation of hunting somebody, there's nothing like it. And I look at your dad, start major, and you've got a skull for some stripes, you know what I mean? Only imagine I like to go all green with three black stripes. A little commando meets the green. Okay, that's me. And I pull my hair back just like this, put it into a ball. I braid my beard into two braids just like this, and then I just become small and just go at it with three hundred of us.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we'll use military a recruiter.
Speaker 5: On your area. I'd be taking guys out of here.
Speaker 3: So I'm not paid by anybody, right, I actually choose this path of life where they have said, hey, rad, how can we? How can we? And I'm like, there's not We don't want to actively ruin the game by being, you know, like you gotta join. I'm I'm a recruiter on a Saturday. It's like, Yeah, if you're a recruiter and it's a Saturday and you got to do something, you should go play Airsoft. And I don't mean poach Airsoft. I mean you should play it. You should go there and you should just shoulder to shoulder with these guys and gals and just kind of buddy up and say, oh, you know, I'm just I'm not here to do anything. I just want to play. It'll, it'll happen. I've put in over probably seven hundred and fifty different people in my twenty years of Airsoft with as a COI as a center of influence for the army, as a you know, and and that was in two thousand and seven, two thousand and nine, twenty ten, and I've just kind of done it now. Just if you want to join, if you're on the fence, if you're at a one or a ten on the scale of joining, just go ten. That's how I say it. If you're even on the scale, if even stepping on that mofo, just go for it. Just step into an office, talk to somebody and see if they talk to you the way you want. And if that's what you get, then that's what you got. That's me. And there you go, Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine, Space Force. There you go from soft rep and love here. I'm all about it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like if I didn't try and go as far as I did, if you didn't try and go as far as you did, if you didn't try and go as far as you did, we wouldn't have. Like you said, these bonds, these stories just who we are, so we need go ahead.
Speaker 5: And I learned a lot about and then uh.
Speaker 4: The best advice I got from the first station that I had years and stay out to keep them infantry, but was.
Speaker 5: Just to be yourself.
Speaker 4: And that worked well for me in UH in recruiting, and you can't be two uh yellow recruiters that come across as uh, you know, the like they need you.
Speaker 3: They gotta have, they got to selects.
Speaker 4: And you know, I just act like you know, it didn't matter to me, give you all the information and I stay guys up to and yelled up to whatever when that was the closest army base.
Speaker 5: And I tell them I just pick somebody and will talk to them. You know, I got no influence. I didn't talk to anybody. Fix somebody to talk to them about it.
Speaker 4: And decide, you know, what you want to do. I mean, here's the here's the benefits. I mean, And there are certain things that you can't change. You know, I don't want to cut my hair.
Speaker 1: You have to.
Speaker 5: You know, they taught us to feel felt feel felt fine, or some method. I know, I feel I felt the same way, but I found that this sure, you know.
Speaker 4: And then there's all the things that people just they think the army or military service is like being.
Speaker 5: In jail, like you can't do anything, you know, on the weekends or whatever. They're talking to their uncle, you know, who's a Korean war vet, and you know he's telling them this and that.
Speaker 3: About it, and he's like, my toes. You don't understand about Korea Army and my toes. You're like, oh, you're like, damn, sorry war vets, but no, no, I love you Korea. You know, if you're out there, think you call me, hit me up and drop me an email. Let's get you on the show Korea. If you're out there, hit me up. I'm down to interview you. But I would say that I forgot, Well, I didn't forget. I just realized that you're also a recruiter, that you had done that and warn that hat and so I just like passive. I just want them to come out and have a good time. They can drive their GUV car with their GOV plate, I'll know who they are. But you know, these guys out there, they're young kids who are emulating the best, which is like a green or a Navy Seal, our number one export. Okay, let me put it this way. In other countries like Japan, Airsoft is huge and they want to dress up like the best. And the request is all the time, do you have any Navy Seal or Green Beret load outs? That's what I hear. And that's because that's our number one export. It's the best. That's the number one thing that the America has. The number one best thing we have is our military with its machine and it's exporting it. We send it all over the world. So here they are wanting to be Navy Seals and Green Berets. So I'm not mad at the young kid who's dressed like that. It's the guy that's trying to get on a base using that image to try to say he is something to gain ill things. Okay, that's where I have this stolen valor situation. It's it's not a kid. Kobe Bryant would not walk up to the basketball court and say take my shoes and my jersey off, little kid. You're not Kobe. He would not do that. He'd be like, oh, hey, here's a headband, and here's some sweats, and here's this. You're wearing my gear. You know. So these guys that are in this world, you guys, they don't have a problem with the youth wearing like, you know, a s Navy seal trying it on their shoulder because they want to be one. They're like, just take that step, go for it, try it. But then you get the kids in airsoft that have asthma, that can never join, that never have the option to, and so here they are getting to fight alongside of someone like Sean Okay who has been in at a sergeant level, and now they're like, wow, I'm actually like shoulder to shoulder with this dude and he's tossing me a grenade. You know that's something that they would never ever have gotten that experience of doing. That's me. I'm just letting you know. I love a happiness, I love my AK, I love redwood forest trees and my military, And you know, I'm cool. If they just want to be free and freedom of choice for yourself, you can tattoo yourself, but just don't tattoo me with your tattoo. It's it. Remember the AK. Well, I know I've had you on for a little over an hour and we're just talking as a casual conversation, and I want my listener to know out there that you can just talk to somebody, like he said, go on base. If you have a question, ask somebody who's in. You don't have to ask your recruiter. Ask somebody else who's in. Say hey, what do you think you're in the Navy? I'm thinking about going army? Why'd you go Navy? You know what I find is that a lot of people join the Air Force after seeing a Navy commercial of the ocean washing away the sand footprints of the Navy seals that are sneaking. But then They're like, where's that at And I'm like, but you joined the Air Force. I'm like, come play some airsoft, come here, come on. But at the end of the day, you know, if you want the Navy Seal, you gotta go Navy Seal. If you want infantry, you gotta go infantry. You got to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I used to even I bring in the folks that were so much that we had no choice but to put them out, you know, chatter.
Speaker 5: Them out or whatever. They've been in so much trouble, so many brog bringing in that.
Speaker 4: All the time, and you know love them, know like Herry, well you know them after you know what they're trying to figure out what their plans were, or someone didn't didn't want to have anything to do with it because they.
Speaker 5: Were so you know, upset about you know, being put out. But then then what others they would listen, and you know I would tell them, I said, you know, when you go out there and.
Speaker 4: You can still be a recruit where the army even though you know it wasn't for you or you got so much trouble.
Speaker 5: Maybe if you show up together. But you know, if your cousin Johnny comes up to you you know, and it says, you know, what do you think.
Speaker 4: About me joining the army? I mean, don't you know, don't don't project your experiences you know on him. Let him know, hey, you know it wasn't for me. You know, if he knows or you don't have to tell him, you know, tell him, tell him the truth about you know, the military, you know, the goods them the bad, because people need to know.
Speaker 5: Don't be so you know negative that you go out and just bad amount of its nervous all the time. That would just you know, a piece of advice that I did to.
Speaker 4: Usen because this might be something that really works out for a friend of yours or relatives or something.
Speaker 5: This might be something that they need or that they want or they would do well. That just because you didn't doesn't mean that, you know, just for you, doesn't mean you know, not for somebody else.
Speaker 3: So you know, and also to the parent out there that I know this exists because I hear. I know this right because I deal with all these younger kids sixteen seventeen's and the parents put them on an adderall or on a other style of like you know, ady D style pill that just prevents them from being able because they want to go. These kids are like seventeen and they're just like chomping at the bit to get in. They got all their gear and the parent probably knows, oh, I'm gonna lose little Billy, right, So I just am like Anyways, there's only so much a waiver can do. But go talk to a career professional for our United States military. If you're listening, right, and you heard it here from from myself and from Sean and from Charles, you know, give it a shot. If it's something in your in your thought process, right, you never know until you try. Boy. I mean again, I've had you for a long time and I can always have you back. You guys are always welcome to come back. And this isn't like the last time we can have a conversation. We can even get more depth about the that you're right, and that you're an author and that you have all these things right, don't you have books that you've written.
Speaker 5: I've got some stuff that I'm working on and uh and one of the military stuff that that you know I did. But yeah, Matt mcne and Chalmer, you know, bounce around these ideas.
Speaker 3: I got.
Speaker 4: The latest one is to just the stories of stupidity from you know, the military and meet him.
Speaker 3: Both got plenty of let's put that in our book club.
Speaker 5: Stories.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, please please please everybody.
Speaker 1: I think people that have never and this is the idea that is, like he said, we meet him and I bounced around, and I bounced around with my best friend from the army when we first got in. You know, I was only in a year or two when we started bouncing this idea round because we saw it already. People that don't really have any affiliation with the military, they think typically one of two things. They think, like you said, earlier, military people are like you guys were talking about earlier. Life in the military is just so completely structured and it's like a jail where you know, there's no fun, you know, no family life.
Speaker 5: None of that.
Speaker 1: But the other side of that, it's people think that they're everybody in the military is very squared away. They all have you know that SAIDs on their shoulders and there's never any problems. And you know, my experience with the people that I was really close with, and a lot of his experience was you know, it's a complete opposite.
Speaker 5: You know a lot of people a lot of veterans could attest that most people.
Speaker 1: Of the military are you know, they're kind of maniacs in sent and but that's you know, it takes that sort of person to be I don't know, well adapted.
Speaker 5: To the right word, but too you know, the job. Yeah, to do the job, to thrive in that lifestyle. And uh, what that kind of equates to is sort of what that ends up with is, like you said, some some stories of stupidity, and that's to me, that's you know, the stuff.
Speaker 1: That will that will live forever in my memories is the it's funny stories with with your with your buddies and you're.
Speaker 3: You know, I was once told we don't always need the boy scouts on the team rat. He's like, someone has to kill grandma still car and complete objective. And I was like, damn, yeah, you're right. Huh, someone does have to kill Grandma still the car and complete the objective. So okay, I'm just that's Look, it's crazy. I loved having you guys on the show.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Soft rep is a welcome platform for you to come out here anytime and just have a nice conversation and we can just I hope you guys have had a great time and enjoyed the fireplace. That's real. It's not a green screen, you know, Yeah, it's real. I'm in Utah, baby, that's a nice rock wall and everything. I'm like, I got a background.
Speaker 5: Well down in the sixties.
Speaker 3: It just snowed in high elevations here and you'd snowbird Alta and Brighton just got six inches of snow. I ride at Brighton is really just lead throughout this winter year. So in thet you're lucky to get. We're lucky to do this podcast now because ten am. Any other day during the winter, I'm up on the mountain, so it's usually a night shoot. I'm like seven o'clock at night. Does that work for you? All right, well, listen, I just want to say thank you on behalf of Charles and Sean Sasser, both awesome veterans of our United States Army and military and get human beings that are trying to do the right thing in life. And my name is Rad as your host for soft Rep. I want to remind you go check out our merch go check out the book club which is soft rep dot com book hyphen Club, and just enlist. And I want to say shout out to Brandon Webb, to Anton and to Mark and everybody on the back end that always make the show what it is. I really appreciate it, and I'm truly blessed to be here so on behalf of my two guests. I just want to say thank you and peace.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Self Rep Radio