Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 1: We begin with the latest in the war between Israel and Hamas, where diplomacy is taking center stage. Hamas released two more hostages yesterday, elderly women who were snatched from their kibbutz on October seventh. Today, French President Emanuel mccro is the latest world leader to arrive in Israel. He is meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, expected to call for resuming the peace process with the Palestinians. President Biden has also been on the phone with Netan Yahoo, and he says he's discussed the war with Pope Francis as well.
Speaker 3: I laid out to what the game plan was, how we thought we should be provided the kind of assistance to Israel that needed, and the Pope was across the board's support of what we're doing.
Speaker 1: And President Biden says he does not support a ceasefire until Hamas releases all its hostages. The militant groups believed to have taken about two hundred and twenty people in the October seventh attack.
Speaker 2: Well Nathan Shina has acknowledged that Israel has the right of self defense against Hamas as Bloomberg Daybreak Asia anchor Brian Curtis reports the concession comes ahead of a trip to Washington by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yee.
Speaker 4: Until now, China had simply called for a ceasefire in the conflict. Shinwa now quotes Wang as saying every country has the right to self defense, but should protect civilians. Wong's trip may help pave the way for a meeting between President Shijinping and Joe Biden. Senior officials say Wog will visit Thursday to Saturday. This week. You'll meet Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln and White House National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan. Among the topics. The hostage is taken by hamas Russia's invasion of Ukraine and North Korea in Hong Kong. Brian Curtis, Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Radio, Okay, Brian, thank you know. The wars in both Israel and Ukraine have caught the attention of some of the most powerful executives on Wall Street. We heard earlier this morning from JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Diamond.
Speaker 5: I'm a general and optimist. I think you'd be foolish not to look at some of these things taking place today in Ukraine, Middle East. Obviously my heart goes out for Ukraine, but also it's affecting oil, food of food, gas prices, migration, potential starvation is probably the most serious thing we faced.
Speaker 1: Jamie Diamond is one of many executives speaking at the Future Investment Initiative in RIODD Saudi Arabia. Moderator David Rubinstein also spoke with Bridgewater Associates founder Ray Dallyo.
Speaker 6: We look at the geopolitical situation and then we look at the climate issue. The climate issue is going to cost us. It's estimated between five and ten trillion dollars a year in a world GDP that produces one hundred trillion.
Speaker 7: Put it simply, for next year, are you optimistic about the global economy or pessimistic?
Speaker 6: Pessimistic?
Speaker 1: And that was both Ray Dalio and Jamie Diamond speaking in Saudi Arabia earlier this morning.
Speaker 2: Well, Nathan back home in the US, how's Republicans planning to try again today to choose a nominee for speaker? And Bloomberg? Jamy Morris as the latest from Washington.
Speaker 8: Watch for several rounds of voting behind closed doors before they name an official designy for speaker. House Republicans held a candidate forum with eight new prospects last night. Tom Emmer of Minnesota came out as the front runner.
Speaker 9: I've made my case.
Speaker 3: We'll see what the members stay to mark.
Speaker 8: All of the current House speaker candidates are said to have signed a loyalty pledge to back whomever wins their party's nomination, but it is not clear if any contender can get a majority of votes to win the House speakership in Washington, I'm Amy Morris, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, Amy, thanks, So it's been three weeks without a Speaker of the House. Mick mulvaney, former White House Chief of Staff under Donald Trump, talked about the former president's impact on the process.
Speaker 10: I think he wasn't able to get the votes for Jim Jordan. That shows Trump's limitations inside the building. Keep in mind, this is a very personal vote. This is not a policy vote. This is who you want to be your leader. And people are a lot more willing to push back on Donald Trump on this, and they might be on immigration or taxes.
Speaker 1: That was former Republican Congressman McK mulvaney on Bloomberg's Sound. You can hear one to three pm Eastern weekdays on Bloomberg Radio or any time on the Sound on podcasts at Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Well as we await a new speaker and Nathan, there's word this morning at the US deficit has doubled. The government ran a more than two trillion dollar deficit from the fiscal year through September. Now that's about a trillion more than the prior year. Republicans blame out of control spending, but much of the gap is due to the knock on effects of faster inflation.
Speaker 1: Now that surge in the deficit, Karen can also explain why yields on long term US treasuries are reaching highs unseen since before the global financial crisis. Some of the market's most prominent bond bears, meanwhile, are saying the historic route in treasuries has gone too far, and we get the story from Bloomberg's John Tucker John Nathan.
Speaker 9: Billionaire investor Bill Lackman says he's unwound his bet against US government bonds. Bill Grows, co founder of PIMCO, says he's now buying short data and interest rate futures now. Their comments coincide with a swift turnarounded yields. During a wild trading session yesterday, the yield on the tenure tumbled roughly nineteen basis points after earlier surpassing five percent for the first time in sixteen years. So does this signal the peak for treasure re yields in the end of the bond bear market? Gross for his part, wrote that higher for longer is yesterday's mantra A ten year price up this morning, the yield down two basis points. Live in New York, I'm John Tucker, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, John, thank you. On the earnings barrage continues with almost three dozen companies reporting today, among that Microsoft, Alphabet and GM.
Speaker 1: And in Europe, Karen, we've heard from Barclays. Those shares are down nearly five percent. The Banking Giants Trading division missed estimates in the third quarter, firms also lowering guidance for its UK business. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Ll right, Nathan, thanks time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's Amy Morris, Amy, Good morning.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Karen. US forces will be postured appropriately in the Middle East overconcerns the war between Israel and Hamas could escalate into a wider conflict. National Security Council spokesman John Kirby says there has been an uptake of rocket and drone attacks by Iranian backed proxy groups against military bases housing US personnel in Iraq and in Syria.
Speaker 11: We know Iran's goal is to maintain some level of deniability here, but we're not going to allow them to do that. We also are not going to allow any threat to our interest in the region to go unchallenged.
Speaker 8: The White House says humanitarian assistance to Palestinians is a priority. Kirby called the aid trucks that have gotten into Gaza a good start. The United Auto Workers announced nearly seven thousand members at the Stalantis Sterling Heights Assembly plant when on strike yesterday. That's the plant that makes the RAM fifteen hundred truck. UAW president Sean Fain spoke outside of the plant yesterday.
Speaker 11: They can afford this, They can make it happen. Our workers deserve their share.
Speaker 6: I mean, while they say they can't afford this, the next day they announced more dividends for shareholders.
Speaker 11: I mean, so you know. They're sending mixed messages.
Speaker 8: As it is outraged by the move, saying that last week the company presented the union with a new improved offer, including a twenty three percent wage increase over the life of the contract and a fifty percent increase in contributions to the retirement savings plan. More than forty one thousand UAW workers are now on the picket line. An off duty pilot is facing eighty three counts of attempted murder for allegedly trying to crash an Alaska Airline's flight. The airline said the flight from Everett, Washington, to San Francisco on Sunday, operated by Horizon Air, diverted to Portland because of the incident. Police said the suspect, Joseph Emerson, was sitting in the flight deck jump seat and tried to pull the fire extinguisher handles to shut off the engines. A new study published in the journal Nature Climate Change finds that even the most ambitious greenhouse gas reduction targets are not likely to prevent the collapse of the West Antarctic ice sheet. Michael Mann is a climatologist at the University of Pennsylvania and the author of our Fragile Moments.
Speaker 7: Looking at substantial parts of Manhattan submerged. And when you get, for example, a major landfalling hurricane, and you get the storm surge on top of that sea level rise, you could get even more widespread flooding.
Speaker 8: Climatologist Michael Mann says this study is a warning sign that should be taken seriously. Global news twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now.
Speaker 2: I'm Abe Morris and this is Bloomberg Karen. All right, Amy, thank you well. We do bring you news throughout the day here on Bloomberg Radio. As Amy said, but now you can get the latest news on demand whenever you want it. Subscribed to Bloomberg News Now to get the latest headlines at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg News Now on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot com plus Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update with John stash Hour John.
Speaker 12: Yeahn the Texas Rangers late in the regular scenes at a stretch where they play twenty games and lost sixteen of them and nearly cost of the playoff. First they stuck game, but in the postseason they swept Tampa Bay, they swept Baltimore, two teams who had want to combine two hundred games, and in the ALCS, the Rangers played four games in Houston against the defending World Series champs. They won all four. They took Game seven eleven to four, and the Rangers are AL champions only the third time the ever first time since twenty eleven, the ALCS MVP was a Doulas Garcia. All he did was homer in each of the last four games, and last night he hit two, had two other hits. Drove in five World Series starts Friday, Texas against either Arizona or Philadelphia. They've got Game seven tonight in Philly, second time in the last four years that both LCS went seven. Hadn't happened before that since two thousand and four. Diamondbacks stayed alive five to one, winning Game six. Five pitchers teamed up to allow only six hits. The Phillies came in having won their previous eleven home National League playoff games, one night put twelve in Minnesota, Vikings upset the forty nine Ers twenty two to seventeen. Kirk Cousins two TD passes. They both went to rookie Jordan Addison first home win of the year from Minnesota, while the Niners, who were five to zero, have lost their last two. The Chicago quarterback Justin Field unlikely to play this week, which means it will get me the rookie Tyson badget in Cleveland Sean Watson day to day. In concussion protocol, the NFL has suspended Denver safety Kareem Jackson for four games for an illegal hit. He has a history of it. John Stashedward Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 11: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, d C. Nationwide on siriusxam, the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 1: Good morning. I'm Nathan Hager. Diplomacy is center stage once again in Israel's war with Hummas. World leaders continue to travel to the war zone, urging restraint after Hummas released two more hostages yesterday. For the latest were joined by Bloomberg News, Economy and government reporter Galite Alts joining us from Tel Aviv, Ghalie, Good morning, thank you for being with us. We understand French President Emanuel mccrun is meeting with Prime Minister Natan Yahoo right now. Do we know anything more about what the President of France is expected to say?
Speaker 13: Yes, som Hi, thanks for having me. Yes, they are a meeting now. The meeting has been taking place for over an hour at this on stage. We do not know on what they're going to say when they come out, but we have heard the French president called this morning for a resumption of peace process. That's what he said shortly after he arrived here in Israel. That's what he's expected to call for a little bit later. And I think that apart from that, the hostages are still pretty much at the center and the focus of attention, like you mentioned, generally speaking, and also you know, in connection with mccoen's visit here, he is supposed to meet some families who are a victim of the October seventh attacks, both who suffered deaths and also families who've had them their relatives taken hostage by Hamas.
Speaker 1: It is difficult to imagine a resumption of the peace process when we do continue to see air strikes carried out in Gaza and Hamas still holding what we think to be a couple of hundred hostages, even with the few that have been released. What is the impact of this diplomacy at this point.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so, first of all, I think, as you say, it is probably the hardest thing to imagine right now, any resumption of any peace process in the area. We're still seeing, you know, a stand still on the ground operation in Gaza, which has been very much anticipated over the last few days. And this is in favor of these back channel negotiations for hostage released, the latest umb of which, like you said, with the release of two more hostages last night. These were two Israeli women noting that because it's important since the very senior Israeli official tells us yesterday that Israel will not put up with the situation by which there is a differentiation being made between hostages who have dual nationalities. He was referencing the two hostages released over the weekend, when or American citizens as well, and essentially Israel Is saying everyone needs to be released to not leave our nationals behind. So that's one thing and I think that on your question on the diplomatic efforts, this is another reason, apart from the negotiations that are taking place to maybe you know, achieve the release or more hostages. I think that as long as leaders keep arriving in the region, but especially here in Israel, this is also holding back the ground operation because, as someone very familiar with the matter told me yesterday, Israel will not sort of embarrass these leaders by starting its ground up operation when they're here on the ground. So this is another reason for this delay.
Speaker 1: And part of the diplomacy is aimed at getting more humanitarian aid into Gaza as well. Can you update us on that effort how that's going.
Speaker 13: Yes, And I think that the hostage release situation is very well connected to the a that is being trickled and I'm using the world trickled for a reason into Gaza at this time, because you know, we've seen roughly sixty trucks or so go in to Gaza through the Rafa crossing, which is in Egypt, and humanitarian groups are arguing all the time that anything less than one hundred trucks a day is not enough to sustain the hundreds of thousands of refugees who have fled their homes in northern Gaza towards the south. So this is also way for Israel and maybe other countries, but I think mainly Israel to put pressure on hostage release kind of you know, creating an equation that says how Julius is also a humanitarian effort because many of them are children and women and elderly. So we want to see, you know, something moving forward with that as we maybe make an effort to allow more trucks and more humanitarian aid into the Gaza strip.
Speaker 1: Just about thirty seconds left here, Galib, But we've seen the President of the United States, as well as leaders from the UK, Germany and now France in Israel. How would you assess the message that is being brought to the Israelis from their allies.
Speaker 13: I think it's a very wide display of support for as well, but especially as far as the US goes. This also points to a very significant involvement of the US in everything that is going on here.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed add six am Eastern each morning on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 1: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot com. I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak