Speaker 1: We talked about this very early on in the podcast that I haven't held on too many things. I also was not a big journaler as a child, as you can tell by this diary that I did keep. Look at all these empty pages. For a few days, I wrote a lot. So I don't know why I managed to keep this diary. But it's from nineteen ninety six. Yes, yes, you.
Speaker 2: Sent me a page for this one time, or you sent me a quill from it. I sent you a quote from it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was a bring a birthday text to writer, something that I had in this Let's see. So one of my least favorite things I did in this journal was I would write on days that said at the top that it's February third, But then i'd write today is the fifth. I think, well, why are you writing on the third, Danielle, what on earth are you doing? And then I would apologize to my journal for not writing very often.
Speaker 2: That's the world.
Speaker 1: I talked to it like it was a person I needed to. Then I'm letting down and constant and somebody I was speaking to future me. Do you write, dear journal or de dear diary, nice, dear diary. Today is the fifth.
Speaker 2: I think. Sorry, I haven't written in a few days.
Speaker 1: Last night I forgot, and the night before that, I spent the night at Vicki's. That's Angel and Vicki. Multiple times I spent the night at Angel and Vicki's. Purpose or did somebody not pick you up?
Speaker 2: What happened? So wait? To grown ups, you would just go spend the night at their house.
Speaker 1: Well, sometimes like Jonathan and I spent the night over there, and.
Speaker 3: Don't I don't want what is Honestly, guys, this is something we should probably privately talk about, because this is some of some of that is things where I go.
Speaker 2: How come I don't.
Speaker 1: Really because I also don't really remember it cool?
Speaker 2: Oh did you drink something first and then remember what?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I spent the night at Vicki's. I went to a party with Jonathan.
Speaker 2: That was cool. Anyway, I'm going.
Speaker 1: To spend the pages up to the fifth mostly talking about the fifth.
Speaker 2: I had the shittiest day.
Speaker 1: First of all, school was boring, rehearsal sucks, and writer was antisocial.
Speaker 2: That could have been any day. Oh my god, because it could have been any day. That's such a nice way to say. Writer was just a grumpy writer was anti social.
Speaker 1: Realize bummed me out because I had a crush on writer. So I was like, we're trying to figure out when I had a crush on you, be six, it was around the.
Speaker 4: Night Jonathan, you had a crush on rider John one teenage pin.
Speaker 2: Up was not enough.
Speaker 1: Jonathan and I weren't necessarily dating at this time. Jonathan and I were really off and on regularly over the years. But something also that should be noted for teenage Danielle in my diary says like at the bottom, I love Landon and Writer and David. I went to high school with no idea who David is, no clue who David is. But I had no problem writing the multiple people I was in love with. It didn't there was not just one person. Why would there be one persons.
Speaker 2: Anti So you were antisocial? Yeah, of course, well, I continued.
Speaker 1: Then we went to acting class, but not before we picked up Rachel, which is underlined, so apparently it was cool.
Speaker 2: Then we went to class. I was dating Rachel, That's what I mean. Maybe underlining because you were angry about.
Speaker 5: Having cool cool, But I do say then we went to class and she was cool, Okay, we improved.
Speaker 2: Oh, improv, you're right, improv. I was like, improved. I don't improved on that. Yeah, you're right, I didn't do that.
Speaker 1: Then we improved, and then we did our monologues. Mine was horrid. Oh well, then Writer, I know I can't spell, but I can use some words. Oh well, then Writer and Rachel got all lovey dovey, and it made me want a puke.
Speaker 2: Oho, this is read. And then I say, then they kissed and it looked so cute. What you want to puke? But then you wanted to watch this kiss.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying I made a bunch of sense. She's actually really sweet and cool. But I really like Writer. I don't think she's right for him. Then again, maybe i'm not either. There's some reason it's like a full on crush too.
Speaker 2: But you're like, I had no idea. But I do remember like we were we were hanging out in ninety six, because I remember, like, because I could drive, so you actually spend time with me alone. I do remember like this during this period, we like you would come to my apartment. You came with Jonathan one time. I remember that. Yeah, so yeah, so I guess we were spending a lot of time together, and we were we spent a lot of time together around this time.
Speaker 1: Which is probably where my reasonableness in this comes along, is that I probably without knowing it. You know, when you spend a lot of time with people and you're a kid, you're constantly going, is this more?
Speaker 2: Is this more?
Speaker 1: Because you're you're all you're first of all, you're just all hormonal, and you are constantly like, what does it mean to have a friendship with someone of the opposite set?
Speaker 2: On a fugu kiss him? Do I want a.
Speaker 1: Puke knowing he has a girlfriend? Or do I actually think when they kiss they look real cute together? They're cut cute together? Makes me want to peel? So then I said, and then I went to Writer's house. We went I went to Writer's house after class, and then my mom picked me up and she was making useless conversation just for the sake of talking. My poor mom literally just trying to talk to me, how is work?
Speaker 2: She wants to be what she wants the information you're giving your diary, and you're just like probably stonewalling her because I told you yep.
Speaker 1: And then she she said that I was excluding her from my life. How do you explain to your mother you're growing up? I write in my diary.
Speaker 2: She's never done that before. She has no idea.
Speaker 1: So after long talks and lots of crying, nothing is resolved.
Speaker 2: Then we both started crying and I grabbed her and hugged her. What a day? Yuck. I love Landon and my mom and David. I didn't make the list that day. No, you're not on the list that day. Who is David? And who is named David?
Speaker 4: Walking around right now having no idea that Danielle Fischele once had a huge crush on.
Speaker 2: Him, I know I have to.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't even remember that I had a crush on him, So how how I mean I really have to go through this.
Speaker 2: I didn't read a bunch of these. I literally just picked what your mom was talking about too. And we have her on the show like that you spent time with me and I turned you against her. She has to go pick you up from my apartment and you're just like, mom, oh.
Speaker 4: You were never moody with me, Like it was never there's the you just never were not real, not that I recall, I mean not that I remember, not where it was ever like Man, because my diary was never like Man.
Speaker 2: I used to love Rider, but now he's a d I think I I you know, I think I would just I was always like I would just be sitting on the side of the set, reading by myself and like, you know, thinking my deep thoughts and I don't know, like I you know, I wasn't mean. I don't think I was mean. Like it was in my own head, and you know, it was miserable in my own way, probably you know, missing Rachel because I had to be at work and couldn't be making out with her all day or whatever whatever. I also love that we rehearse all day and then we do an acting class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would work all day and then go to an acting class and then go back to your house after and then there would probably be like people coming over watching a movie or something, and then the next day go back to work.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So wait, just to get this out there, other than on the show that one time, you guys never kissed, never hooked up, never anything.
Speaker 2: Right, nothing, okay, just just checking, just checking what if?
Speaker 1: Will what if all this time we had been keeping from you.
Speaker 2: It's like the thing, you know, when I was spending so much time at his house. Wouldn't that be funny?
Speaker 4: You never know where It's like, well, okay, maybe we were hooking up once, tise, I've got several of those stories. We probably don't know. Yeah, that's true, people, we probably don't know.
Speaker 2: What you don't know is that Will and I were hooking up for all.
Speaker 1: I didn't think to ask. That's true, That's what I'm saying. I mean, we were never moody with Will. We traveled to Europe together. Hey, stranger things have happened. Welcome to Podmeat's Diary. I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm writer Strong, and I'm David.
Speaker 2: Yeah what if David was a code name for somebody. But although you didn't feel the need to hide anything, you were pretty up.
Speaker 1: I told my diary everything, and I'm sure it's in here in some of the pages leaving up to it.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's I'm sure there's something. Do you know about Mortified? I love Mortified. He's so great he never even heard of it.
Speaker 1: I mean, also, you guys like dear Diary, Hey was up and there was w H A Z and.
Speaker 2: The up is an arrow?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, perfect is strong the girls.
Speaker 1: As man and guys, we have some big, big announcements.
Speaker 2: First up, are you in Los Angeles and want to see us in person?
Speaker 4: But more importantly, do you want to see mister William Daniels aka the Phoeneest of all Phoenees in person?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Join us on November seventeenth at the Orpheum in Los Angeles for a very special Pod Meets World Live where Bill Daniels will be joining us and some.
Speaker 4: Other surprise special guests, but as stated, those are surprises.
Speaker 2: Tickets and meet and greets are available now at Podmeetsworldshow dot com.
Speaker 1: And don't forget about Chicago November thirtieth at the Chicago Theater and we can announce now we will be joined by Anthony Tyler Quinn aka mister Turner.
Speaker 2: That's going to be a special one. Some other cities as well, New Orleans on December eighth, Atlanta on December ninth, Durham, North Carolina on December tenth.
Speaker 4: And Dallas and Austin in January. It gets are available now at Podmeetsworldshow dot com. And we've got some new merch We released three new shirts this month and we love them all.
Speaker 2: We have the ensorcell shirt celebrating our favorite word and apparently the best way to make women do anything you want on Boy Meets World. That's a deep cut.
Speaker 4: But our two newest we heard your demands and we have a property of John Adams High School shirt and hoodie for the podcast department and it's available now, a way to wrap the school and the pod at the same time.
Speaker 2: Those are going to sell like hotcakes.
Speaker 1: And we finally did it. We made the Shan shirt.
Speaker 2: That's right, the T shirt we talk about all the time where it looks like Atlas holding a heart and I wore it for like three seasons straight. We've replicated it and it's available now.
Speaker 1: Oh, I cannot wait to wear that big day for Pod meets World. Go check them all out now and join us for a show. Go to Podmeets worldshow dot com now. So today we are recapping season three, episode fifteen, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. The title is a playoff the debut novel from American author Carson McCullers that was a literary sensation and was seventeenth on the Top one hundred Novels of the twentieth Century by Time magazine.
Speaker 2: Obviously as one would know. Of course I've never read answered me neither no of it, but I've never written. Well, now you have a book, the Book Club. There we Go.
Speaker 1: It originally aired February second, nineteen ninety six. The synopsis is that Sean starts to have serious feelings for a nice girl, Dana Pruett, but she has doubts that Sean is boyfriend material. It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Kevin Kelton and guest starring Brandon Maggert as Pat. He appeared in recurring sketches during the first season of Sesame. Street, was Tone nominated in nineteen seventy and appeared in the movie The World According to Garp.
Speaker 2: And then we.
Speaker 1: Have the debut of Larissa Olinik as Dana Brewed Yay. She is a boy meets World favorite who is best known as Alex mack and from Ten Things I Hate About You. And then also we have Kimberly Scott as Sonya, who's best known from The Abyss and Falling Down, and.
Speaker 2: Danny Strong as Arthur.
Speaker 1: So he may be a less recognizable name than say Adam Scott or Bill Lawrence, but Danny is in the top three most successful Boy Meets World alumni. He would later show up on Seinfeld twenty nine episodes of Buffy, a ton of Gilmore Girls, mad Men, and most recently as Todd on Billions, but his biggest successes have been behind the camera. He won a Golden Globe and an Emmy and a Peabody for the HBO movie Game Change, and one another Peabody for the recent Hulu limited series Dope Sick.
Speaker 2: His first big hit was rec Count. That was what sort of launched him and the others entirely his own project. Like he was at that point kind of just known as an actor, and he decided to go to Florida and do all this research on what happened during the two thousand election, Yes exactly, And he did all his own research, interviewed primary sources him by himself, and nobody's paying him. And he wrote that incredible script and that just launched his screenwriting career. And now he directs to so successful and the nicest guy and like, I, you know, I got to know him later because we were both part of the like sort of troop of actors that would participate in the thrilling adventure hour that podcast, and it was actually a live show when we were doing it. Eventually became a very successful podcast, and one time we hosted the whole show as the two of us playing the Strong brothers, and it was so fun and yeah, but it was funny because I didn't really remember him. I knew I had met him before, but I couldn't tell you, like what episode of I didn't really work with him on. This episode was all you will?
Speaker 4: Yeah is that I And I'm pretty sure I'm right. This could be confused, and when I get into the story, I'll understand, but I'm ninety nine percent sure I'm right. I'm walking through the red Light District in Amsterdam one day with Marsden and another friend who'd never seen the red light district.
Speaker 2: So it's like Tuesday morning.
Speaker 4: You're like walking through, going like okay, so I'm just showing you the touristy stuff. Here's like the red light District, that kind of thing. And I turned the corner and it's Danny with with another group of friends doing exactly the same thing, and we're like.
Speaker 2: What hey, And we just ended up hanging out for the day. We didn't get the internship went to Amsterdam. It was so strange. I just ran into him in the streets of Amsterdam. It was really bizarre.
Speaker 4: So I think that's the last time that I saw him. But yeah, he was really nice to work with, incredibly funny. But man who knew his writing?
Speaker 2: And then didn't he create Empire? Yes, I'm not quite dumb.
Speaker 1: He wrote Lee Daniels the Butler, and co wrote the Hunger Games two part finale, Walking j Part one and part two, and was the co creator of the Fox hit series Empire.
Speaker 4: So he's yes, amazing, amazing, Yeah, unbelievable.
Speaker 2: When when the strike is ended, I hope we get to have him on. Yes, that would be great. Uh what did you guys think of this episode? It's good, I thought so too. I liked it.
Speaker 4: I liked it. I thought this is the start and we're going to get into this and then the next episode. But man, the dynamic is changing and it's Sean is the lead of this show.
Speaker 2: Corey Well, I think Ben head finals for both weeks.
Speaker 1: No, no, not for both weeks, next next episode finals, but this one, no, I think leading into finals week. But also I love that this is like a two parts the continuity.
Speaker 2: We just it's really nice becoming more and more serialized led relationship finally, like where it's at and how they're managing their breakup and still being friends and all that. It's really it's Yeah, it feels.
Speaker 4: I like funny pop in, pop out Corey. I'm a big fan of that.
Speaker 2: I think it's also leaning into a little bit of dweeby Cory, Yes, but in such a funny way. I'm stuff that is so good at this since him so well, and like, yeah, and I'm kind of at least for this episode.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I'm kind of like in Sean driving the story and Corey popping in with funny one liners.
Speaker 2: It just works. It's expanding the ensemble, right, I mean, this is really paying off. I mean because I feel like the seed was planted for this exact storyline. I'm not going to remember the exact episode, but there was an episode where Sean got dumped for being a bad guy or not going to the side of the tracks. Was not the one?
Speaker 4: Wasn't that not going to the part you weren't invited to the the rich girl?
Speaker 2: Yes, dump by the rich girl, And so I feel like this is just taking that sort of b story and making it the a story and it's you know, sweet.
Speaker 4: Worked, totally worked, and anytime it's you and Tony.
Speaker 2: I'm still getting into this.
Speaker 4: How they they look at that dynamic and how that's working and go, yeah, we're gonna get rid of this.
Speaker 2: And I will never understand. It doesn't make any sense, you know, it is so great.
Speaker 1: Well, let's jump into our recap. We start in Chubbys Sean is making out with a new character.
Speaker 2: No, there were no.
Speaker 4: But that was the thing is there's always there's your macking on each other, and there's nothing from this.
Speaker 1: Probably wasn't recorded before the audience, and they chose, yeah, it was a pre shot episode, a preshot scene, and they probably chose not to add to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, and I go way back, right. I first met Larissa when she was eight, I think she was only eight years old and I was nine years old, and we were cast together as the kids in Lama's rob in San Francis. So we both had our first big break, you know, moving from local community theater in northern California to you know, what was a cattle call audition where we all just lined up in five hundred kids or whatever outside of the Current Theater in San Francisco, and we both got cast that first day and spent nine months together doing Lena's rob So we were so close. You know, She's like she's like a sister to me, and I remember this was kind of awkward because I've never been romantic with each other and here we I remember the first rehearsal being like, so we're gonna okay, We're just gonna kiss, and just being like, oh, okay, I guess this works. But yeah, I love Larissa. I actually haven't seen her for a couple of years now. She moved to New York and I think she's back in LA now because she's been doing a show for Nickelodeon. But she's Yeah, she's just been a lifelong friend and so doing this was I remember when she got cast. I don't know if they wrote the part for her, but it was sort of like going full circle. It was like being with like one of my oldest actor friends and being able to do these scenes together. I just I remember having a lot of fun this week and being so happy that she was around that it was great together. I mean, you can tell that you guys have a connection there.
Speaker 4: There's obviously chemistry between the two of your's actors because you're great.
Speaker 1: Yea, yeah, you can feel there's trust, like there's a comfort and that that's so sweet.
Speaker 2: So like were your fate Were your parents' friends too, Yeah, yeah, our parents are. All of our parents were friends, and we used to go to her house all the time. She lived in She grew up in Palo Alto, so she was like about like three hours away from where I grew up. So actually, like going to San Francisco to do the play every night was like we were all commuting to the to the theater, but our parents would like take turns watching us. We have the same teacher behind, you know, backstage, but you know, when you're doing Lamez. There were so many parts. I mean, like her part in lame Is was actually young Cosette is done. After one scene she sings Castle in a Cloud and then you're just hanging out backstage and gav Rosha only shows up in the right at the end of the first stack. So there was so much downtime where we were just running around. We owned the Current Theater, like the Current Theater was like our playground. Basically, we went through the earthquake of eighty nine together during rehearsals of Lame, Like we just had so many life experiences that we were there for, and like we would take you know, between matinee performances and night performances, we would hang out in this one. It's it's a it's the theater district of San Francisco. Not a great neighborhood. It's like right next to the Tenderloin, and but we were so comfortable there. We would just we would roam the streets between between shows and we had like all our favorite places to get dinner and to hang out. And there was like a glass elevator me you're talking about, like me walking the streets in New York, and we we had a middle with us at all times. We would go to Fao Schwartz, which we could walk to Schwartz and we do that. It was so fun, Like, yeah, we just would we grew up together. Did you have a crush on her, Yes, ok, definitely actually after this later later I had a crush on her, but not at this point. I don't think at this point she was just like a little sister, right right, Okay, and that she is now.
Speaker 4: You said three hours away, how far were your commute every day to get to the stage.
Speaker 2: Hour and a half from My mom talks about how she would chew ice to stay awake to drive me home because the show wouldn't end until you know, it's a three hour show and would start at eight o'clock, so the show wouldn't end until eleven, and then we'd have to drive home and I would have school the next day, so I would just pass out in the back seat, and then my mom would be chewing ice to drive, to stay awake to drive me home. It was crazy, the commitment that my parents I cannot tell you, like when I think about it, you know, like I like roll my eyes having to drive twenty minutes to take Indy to gymnastics. You know, like I can't imagine eight shows a week, six nights a week, driving to San Francisco. It was crazy, Like and that's you know, that's I think that that's you know, and I the parents of child actors are the people who are really working, you know, because as a kid, you're just like, this is all fun and you have so much energy that never occurs to you that this is like such a time commitment, such an energy drain. That it's really you know, I think it's parents that make child actors successful or not.
Speaker 4: Again, it depends on the parents, because my parents were hugely supportive.
Speaker 2: But they're both lawyers. They're like, we can't drive you anywhere. We both have.
Speaker 4: Jobs, so that's why I was on the bus all the time. So yes, but it is. It's got an.
Speaker 2: Hour and a half there in battle. That's so crazy crazy.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we have Larissa her debut as Dana Pruett. Sean tells her she's a great kisser and explains that you know a lot of girls trap both lips in this vacuum me suction thing, then your mouth caves in. You've got to break the seal before your lungs pop.
Speaker 2: Gross. Dana says she sure knows an awful lot about kissing.
Speaker 1: He admits he's done some random sampling, but purely for scientific reasons. They kiss again, and Sean says he really likes her and she likes him too. Sean asks when their second date will be, and Dana says she's doing volunteer work at the blood drive. That this school has every single money drive.
Speaker 2: It's fine collecting a ton of blood at this school. We need it. Man, what is happening where they need this much blood at this high school? I love it? Wow? And he says, well that blood drives not really his thing.
Speaker 1: His dad only his dad always says, only volunteer if they will douce your sentence.
Speaker 2: And then Dana.
Speaker 1: Offers a picnic instead, and Sean asks why they'd want to eat outside, and Dana says it just two people sitting on a blanket, really listening to what the other has to say. Sean pretends to be excited and he says, I love picnics, and Dane excitedly asks you do, and then Sean tells the truth.
Speaker 2: No, sorry, no, how about this this very prominent yin yang Ring ying yang Ring, I'm d ing yang Ring, and I'm sure I remember the second I saw it. I was like, oh, yeah, that was mine. But I have no idea where I got it or who gave it to me or what the deal was. But man, I wore that in real life, you were wearing that ring. Yeah, I've noticed this whole episode, and we'll get into it in the next scene with me and Larissa. A lot of a lot of hand clutching going on, a lot of looking down at our hands while we like grab giant shirts and giant giant shirts. Yeah, that's the other thing I noticed.
Speaker 1: I do think handholding when you're young does really signify how much you like somebody. Like to you, looking at each other's hands is actually a very.
Speaker 2: Sweet yeah, Like, yeah, we do it a little too much, but we keep both both Larisa and I keep having a habit of like looking down at our own hands. I'm talking about like clutching our hands. There's a lot of guys ring and looking down and like playing out the nerves of like this awkward conversation with this, you know, mister, but we do it a lot. He could have uses, you know, a little note to be like, maybe maybe don't take down the whole time we needed a hand wrangler. Great.
Speaker 1: Sehn says they should get back to what they do best, leading Dana to exclaim, you sure put a lot of emphasis on kissing. He laughs and says, I just really like it. Dana reveals that that's what she's heard. She tells him a second date isn't the best idea, but she thinks him for tonight. She walks away, and Sewn is extremely confused, asking himself what just happened here? And then we're in the school hallway. Corey comes running up to Sean and he slams his locker door shut. He's a little upset, but Sean says, you're always upset, which I thought was great because that's that's.
Speaker 2: The Corey we love. Yep, yep, always a problem. Yeah, in a Henley and a flanneler looks good. It's a good look for Corey.
Speaker 1: It is a good look, and Corey says, yeah, but I'm more upset than usual. Corey says he was having breakfast with Janitor Bud this morning, and Sean asks Janitor Bud, Corey clarifies, I owed him.
Speaker 2: And I love that. There's no further explanation. We don't need to know. I love that.
Speaker 1: It's just they were having breakfast anyway. That's where Corey found out that Sean went out with Dana Prewitt last night. Corey's upset he didn't tell him. He emphasizes the fact that Dana Pruitt is a very nice girl. Corey tells him a girls like that could ruin Sean's reputation. Corey and Janitor Bud were shocked that Sean went out with Dana, which says a lot considering Bud has seen dead bodies so good.
Speaker 2: I just love all the Yeah. I wish if we could go back and rewrite this episode. I want the tag to just be Corey and gender Bud gossiping over breakfast together, just having two of them with some coffee and muffins, being like. And then Dana said, did you hear the latest? Hear the latest? I just want more, Bud. I love it so much. The other thing I noticed about this the set. I don't know if this is.
Speaker 4: This has probably been there the entire time and I've never noticed it. But the door that is next to the John Adams high head, the little statue says gymnasium.
Speaker 2: Oh, so the GM is on this floor now? No, because it's also where Turner comes out of his room. So you're saying the downstage door that is usually Turner's classroom above.
Speaker 4: Up stage, yes, above it is now is now it's and has that. I don't know if that's been there the entire time, but that is now.
Speaker 1: It plains while there's always so many jocks in the hallway.
Speaker 4: Apparently, but that's now the gymnasium or has been the whole time.
Speaker 2: I don't know or i'd never seen it before. Yeah, never have noticed it. No, me neither. Strange.
Speaker 1: So Corey asks what it was like going out with a nice girl, and Sean says he doesn't talk about the girls he goes on dates with. Corey retorts, well, that's not true. If it wasn't for Sean's stories and the little pictures he draws, he wouldn't know nothing.
Speaker 2: I love this dialogue, so funny. Little pictures. I just see you drawing little pictures, little stick figures. I absolutely love it.
Speaker 1: Sean doesn't want to talk about Dana, and he will not draw her for Corey. Corey smirks, you must really like this girl, and Sean says he likes all girls, and so far they've all liked him. And then Dana walks down the stairs and asks Sean if she could have a word with him in private. Corey's excited and whispers, ooh, in private, what could this be? Sean tells him she probably wants to finish what we started last night. So if I'm late to class fall asleep without me, it's just cute.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, why didn't you wait for me? Why don't you wait for me to fall asleep? And then we're in the school hallway continues nearby. Eric stops mister Williams and mister Turner, and I noticed Tony's hair has a little like wet slick to back moll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, there is a we all need a haircut in this episode. Well that Will needs a haircut. Haircuts so bad. It's like we've just come back from hiatus and just let us go. It was my hair. I bet you this is great after we take because we would take a longer break in December. Yeah, and if this aired in February and this is coming back, we probably had just all been gone for three weeks or whatever and our hair.
Speaker 1: Is Why was your hair so long while you were just growing it out? You liked it long?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just I just wanted to keep it growing, and so at that point I wanted to get I always had this dream of having like, you know, long, long hair, but it doesn't work with my hair because it's so thick, thick exact, so it just goes, you know, It's it's kind of strange, but yeah, I wanted to keep growing it out.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Eric asks mister Williams if he can talk to him about his journalism paper, forcing mister Williams to prep all right, another episode of Eric Matthew's Excuse Theater. Mister Williams tries guessing what Eric's excuse will be. You fell behind on your car payments and they repossessed your paper by mistake.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Mister Turner wants to join in. I'm seeing a pet lying by a road with your term paper in its mouth. He can work with them all the time, all the time, constantly. You guys work together multiple times.
Speaker 2: All the time. I didn't remember this at all, and we were we work together every week. It was so weird. Suit jacket is the coolest. He came for it. I want that so bad right now. It's got the cool zipper, he's got the high button. I was like, yes, this is like Alex days there, just looking awesome. I want that now.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling that's true vintage, that's Sarah Markowitz vintage.
Speaker 2: I love it. But yeah, they work together all the time. Yep, you guys, You guys just couldn't stop working together.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: Eric clarifies he's not trying to snow them. He's trying to turn things around so he can get into college. Mister Williams tells him to study. Eric cuts them off and says, come on, I'm being serious. Turner brings up the news internship at the station and tells Eli he should let Eric apply for it to get his hands on experience and extra credit. Eric loves the idea of interning at a real TV station. He tells mister Williams to sign him up. Eli tells him there's only one spot available and there will be a lot of competition, most of it coming from A students. Eric says all of the A students will cancel each other out. He's a lock, he thinks, mister Turner for the great suggestion, and Eli, annoyed, repeats, yeah, great suggestion, mister Turner. Turner says it can't hurt to let Eric take a shot. Mister Williams knows these people they're going to scrutinize every application, look at grades, SAT scores. Turner exclaims, are you kidding me? It's television and Eli nods he's a lock. And I love the little meta joke about TV TV.
Speaker 2: That's all you need is But I also I also love this entire storyline, and it continues into the next episode because it's like it really gets at this question of like, you know, Eric has other strengths, right, Like I like it, It's no longer just Eric's dumb. It's like Eric's dumb, but he's also charismatic, he's confident, he's good looking, he's got skills, and like questioning whether those skills are in fact more valuable than right being having an a student or an a track record. I think that's a great conflict because I know everybody out there, there's all different types of intelligence, there's all different types of talent, right and and I just love that that it's no longer just do well in me ocuts, you know, blah blah blah. It's like there's other values at play. And I just think it's so great to have the same tension like Eric's still trying to get a graduate or get into college, but to have complexity to it. I mean, look at being a child actor. It's that same thing.
Speaker 4: You're you're constantly fighting against adults as and probably rightfully, so like have something to fall back on, keep your grades up, you've got to keep doing it well. No, I'm going to be an actor. Okay, but you're fourteen. Who knows if this can be a career. And I had this whole thing. When you know my parents, because they're old school East Coast lawyer parents, the idea of not going to college was crazy to you, like, I don't care that you're on a hit show. You're signing contracts and deals all over the place. You go to college. And I was like, I'm not going to college. I don't know what to tell you. I'm working, I'm doing this, I'm not my education. My formal education at eighteen is going to be completed. And they couldn't understand that at first, and then finally they were like, okay, you probably made the right decision where I'm not. I couldn't. For me, the right decision was to continue working. I just was working all the time. I was doing movies in the hiatus. That's what I was doing.
Speaker 2: So this storyline really does reflect it absolutely interest because I had these conversations with my parents where I had to sit them down again. This was still a hobby.
Speaker 4: My parents knew I was good at it and I loved it, and I'm on a national television show. But you go to college and then find your career.
Speaker 2: That's what you do.
Speaker 4: So the idea that I had found my career at ten and I was now being successful at it, and I wasn't going to take four years off from it because you hit while you strike while the iron's hot, you get one chance to do this. They I had to essentially convince them that I wasn't throwing my life away by not going to college. To this day, my parents still say, are you going back to college? Literally, maybe you should consider going back to college, Like, well, I'm kind of busy with a lot of the stuff I'm doing.
Speaker 2: And I have the opposite feeling, like I don't run away to college and stop ack date And I often go why did I Why did they do that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe I coming off a hit TV show at the age of twenty, I should have, you know, because here I am back in the industry. But for a while there, I was like, oh, no, I need to need to explore other things. And it's like, well, that was four years of not working in the industry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then trying to get back in and then trying to get back in the world. Yeah, So it's yeah, it was. It's a great storyline. For Eric too, because it is you find different strengths in who you are, and maybe college isn't for everybody.
Speaker 1: Exactly that's exactly right. Well, then we're back in the school hallway and now reunited. After his talk with Dana, Sean reveals to Corey, I got a surprising little problem with the Dana situation. Corey guesses she wants another date and Sean doesn't know how to let her down, and Sean ta, she wants another date, all right.
Speaker 2: But with another guy.
Speaker 1: Corey says it's probably some pumped up pretty boy Jack, and Sean reveals it's you, and Corey says, huh, I was right.
Speaker 2: Okay, this was right. This is the introduction of what became. I think this is the first time where Ben has done.
Speaker 1: His huh huh so funny.
Speaker 2: I said this for years. I don't know if we said this on camera. For years, Ben and I would, so I'm hoping it comes back on camera, but it must. Backstage, this was our go to beat. I would say something and Ben would go huh and then do this little like slipsmack where he goes and oh, and it would make us laugh every time. Yeah, So I think I'm hoping it comes back on camera, but it's certainly for the next five years of working together, he would always just go, huh, yeah, I remember making very well.
Speaker 4: I also, I have to say I personally, and you might disagree with me.
Speaker 2: I think this is one of your best performances today.
Speaker 4: Yes, so, I absolutely do. I think you were playing it on a bunch of different levels. I think you were confused by how you were feeling, which played. I think the way that then it goes from anger to jealousy and you don't even know why.
Speaker 2: I thought this was truly one of your best performances. Thank I felt it was super awkward and unfocused. It's supposed to be awkward. I guess it's getting awkward. It worked, It totally worked, all the hand acting and like we I don't know, but I mean like we'll get into it. I think, like the scene where I'm angry at Corey is great. The scene with Turner is great. Yeah, there's some good stuff. There's great. I thought it was really good.
Speaker 1: Other way, yeah, I think it's I think it's really great. We're used to seeing Sean in the false confidence. I know everything about women. I know everything about women and I'll tell you exactly why you're feeling that way, and you're feeling this way and she's feeling that way, and this for the first time is like a what is this? What's happening? Why is she doing that? And why do I feel like this? And it's so great to see you a little off kilter and still walking with like without engaging. Yeah, still engaging, but you're.
Speaker 2: By yourself, which is just right. I guess Sean usually isn't processing in real time, so he's processing this entire episode, and he's.
Speaker 4: Also processing that he's processing, if that makes sense, where you're just that's it is.
Speaker 2: I'm having this feeling exactly. Do you think it's weird? Danielle?
Speaker 4: I have to ask you because I'm asking you as the resident woman. Is it strange that Dana goes to Sean, who she just had a date with the night before, to ask if it's okay to go out with his best friend.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think that's weird.
Speaker 1: I think I think what it shows is a large amount of respect for Sean.
Speaker 2: She's still going to do it. She wants to go out with her.
Speaker 4: She's letting him know, don't It's very mature very realistic, but it's very respectful and mature.
Speaker 1: It is It's exactly what you would hope if your children came to you at this age and told you this would be the advice you would give them. You would say you should, you should let the other person know. You don't need their blessing, but.
Speaker 2: Just let them know.
Speaker 1: Just let them know they it would it would be nice for them to hear it from you, so that, at the very least, when people start talking about it, did you hear she went out with Sean. Sean has the ability of saying, yes, I'm aware she told me about it. It's it's a little like you, that feeling of somebody else having inside information that you don't have.
Speaker 2: It takes that away. So it also lends to her being a classy, good correct. It goes right in line with her being a nice girl. She is not. She is not. She's not. There's nothing to dislike about it. She's not fast and flashy. Were about to know. We'll talk about that. We'll talk about that right now.
Speaker 4: Like the fifties biker girls you walk away from, Yeah, they're wearing leather jacket.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I wrote here. Leather jacket friend material.
Speaker 2: Stay away from those leather jack on the knights guys on the.
Speaker 4: Leather well, they attract such bad people that they're literally stolen from cars.
Speaker 2: Right, what is that? What does that tell you?
Speaker 1: I tell you so, Sean tells Corey, No, no, no, no, no, this would be good for you.
Speaker 2: She's great, she's funny, she has sexy penmanship.
Speaker 1: Cory asks if she has little hearts over the eyes, and Sean says yes. Corey says he loves that, and.
Speaker 2: Sean says, who doesn't. I love that.
Speaker 1: Sean tells Corey to go for it. Cory asks if he's sure, and Sean says, yeah, don't worry. I'm not going to be alone for long. He yells out to two girls and leather jackets, Rosy and Gina, who are walking by, and they waved to him. He tells Corey these are the girls he should be going out with anyway, the leather jacket gang.
Speaker 2: Who instantly start the throutle.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's no p It's like there's three of us are together, exactly crazy.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the one spot in town, one spot.
Speaker 1: So then we are in the Matthew's kitchen Sewan and Morgan are standing at an open fridge and Sean asks, how do we really know that the light bulb goes out when you close the door, and.
Speaker 2: Morgan tells him to get in there and find out.
Speaker 4: I was like, Okay, I'm not sure how much I like what they did with her character.
Speaker 2: Well, she's mean to everybody, but she's just all of a sudden really mean the one. But that was the way the Lily always was, Like, Morgan always was kind of fantastic, and everything she says is like just mean everything for.
Speaker 1: Me, this this version of Morgan is very I'm attacking you directly, whereas Lily's Morgan, the way they wrote her was a little more like just conniving little kid, like oops, my barbies burned, like she was always into hijinks, and she was. She was a schemer, but she wasn't necessarily directly attacking. I actually loved the relationship Weasel had with Eric where they were actually like friends.
Speaker 2: This just.
Speaker 1: A tax to everyone to Sean. Here, she's mean to Eric. Later she's mean to Cory, like she's just mean to everybody.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, but I hear when I saw her on screen here I wrote down she's so young. Yeah, you's tiny. And I think maybe part of what we're feeling is that that Lindsay was so confident and like prepossessed as a young person, but when you actually look at her on screen, like who, she's very young, and it's I think it's kind of cute. I mean, I think it's like I've.
Speaker 4: Certainly changed the characters since Lindsay's taken over the part, I mean, totally different, durable.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, she's just so tiny, but it's they've written her now where it's just like I'm just going to be mean every time I open my mouth, and it's it's it's a little jarring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: So Amy arrives and tells Morgan it's time for bed, and she says she can't go to bed, she's babysitting Sean. And then Alan comes down and asks Morgan, you're the only one in this house with their own bedroom.
Speaker 2: Why don't you ever use it? And Morgan answers because life is short, and Alan responds, so were you go to bed? And she leaves.
Speaker 1: Then Alan tells Sean that Corey, who was actually related to them, left after dinner, so they wouldn't be offended if he did the same. Sean thanks Allan, but says he's waited three hours. He might as well wait a couple more minutes for Corey to come back from his date. Corey will want to talk about it, Buddy to Buddy, And this is the first time we get the reference of nine o'clock, like a nine o'clock date, and it comes back later even with mister Turner, and I thought, it's I love that there's like this idea that even for grown ups dates and at nine pm exactly.
Speaker 2: It's also interesting our show ended at It's sort of like building into the show. Go to bed after the show after you do not hang with mister go to sleep.
Speaker 1: That's nice, honey, Amy says, Alan and her will just go to sleep now. Buddy to Buddy, and Alan asks, why don't we adopt him and at least get the tax deduction as they walk upstairs too, and then Corey walks in dressed like he just left a tundra, and he nonchalantly says hi to Sean, but Sean scolds him, you come waltzing in hereafter nine and all I get is a hello, and Corey corrects himself, Hello sailor.
Speaker 4: Oh, I remember the first time he said this during run through, and it exploded, brought the room down.
Speaker 2: It was so good. It just so random, Hello sailor, sailor.
Speaker 4: So good.
Speaker 1: Sean asks Cory how his date with Dana went, and Corey just says it was a date. Sean says, come on, I give you more than that, and Corey admits he didn't kiss her. Sean stutters and assures him that's okay. Sean asks, on a scale of one to ten, how much do you like Dana Brewett? Ten being tapanga on your first date and one being the lunch room lady in a thong, and Corey answers seven, and Sean continues with good. And I thought, good, good, Yeah, how was that good? Seven seems like a high n high number.
Speaker 4: That's a high number of If topang is ten and she's already at a seven, I.
Speaker 1: Thought that seemed like no, no, no, I want you at a five. I get that that's still like seven out of ten is a C.
Speaker 2: But that's a high C. That's a high almost to yeah.
Speaker 1: If I like Dana Pruitt the way Sean likes Dana Pruitt, I'm hoping for a five or less.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seven would stare me. That's just me.
Speaker 4: He's also in my green sweater, which I had again until like a month ago. There's several sweaters, several sweaters in this show.
Speaker 2: Remember the sweat and I remember it probably because you kept wearing it. I had for years. Yeah, you took Ben's wardrobe?
Speaker 4: Is that what? I know that she bought me the same one because I was such a good sweater that again. I wore that until it had like cigarette burns in it and all this stuff the time, and I got rid of it.
Speaker 2: I miss it. Corey cuts him off and says, I've never seen you act like this, are you Fluey? His response is great too, though a little. I really think that this episode is seminal in that because I feel like this the Ski Lodge or the Phoenix Cabin episode tried to begin this this Corey Shawn dynamic, but it didn't quite hit the mark. Like in that first scene we talked about how I was a little off. This is like fire in on all cylinders Corey and Sean and and it's it's it's different from what like second season did, which was like we're in a scheme together and we're like, this is like us actually affecting one another, arguing with one another, but still having so much love and like we're kind of undermining each other and questioning each other, but banter. It's like really really clever banter. And there's I think that this remains for the rest of the show, and it's something that I didn't realize we have. I don't think we've quite seen like working on this level. But it's like, you know, our characters are fully realized, like who we are is established, and then we're sort of in it together and like these scenes and this will continue for the rest of the show, these sort of like but what did you do? And what did you think? And we're like at each other, but it's with so much friendship and it's it's just it felt so comfortable to me. I was like, oh, this is a huge component of the show has really just arrived and it's working perfectly. And he continues from that throughout the rest of this episode and the next one percent.
Speaker 1: And it does also feel, like I said I mentioned earlier, it's you if you feel like you're doing a lot of talk therapy with yourself, this is such a perfect example of how friends can make the best therapists for you by you just talking something out and then questioning you are you feeling okay? Well, I do have a tickle, but that's not what this is. Something else is going on. No, stay on track, and thank you for asking, because that also could have been it. Maybe I'm not but like, so it's really just like holding each other accountable in the nicest, most respectful, supportive way, like we'll get to the bottom of this together.
Speaker 2: It's it is really it's fun to watch.
Speaker 4: It's also interesting that they finally found this voice when Sean's driving everything and not Corey, which is also kind of a.
Speaker 2: Well I think it takes pressure off of Corey, right. It allows Corey to be the sort of anxious, upset, freaked out, neurotic guide, which is what's so much so funny. I allows Sean to be the one being like, but I'm confused and like and when we're both in a state of you know, anxiety, it creates good comedy. Anxiety is comedy, right, Like, it's so fun That's why I'm so funny. It's true.
Speaker 1: Man, Corey smiles and says, I think you're coming down with a bad case of Dana. Sean admits, knowing you were out with Dana, I just kept wanting to take the carving knife and stab you in the head. Which beautiful you'd say it. You don't say it like you're angry. You say it like, so what does that mean?
Speaker 2: So what is all of that all about? And then you also say no offense, funny, no offense that I wanted to kill you with a carving knife.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Sean then asks, so it's okay if I ask her out, and Corey says he'll stab him in the head if he doesn't. Sean smiles and says, you're good people. What a great beautiful scene between the tests. So then we're in the school hallway. Eric yells out to another student, Hey, Aretie. The boy clarifies it's Arthur. Eric tells him they're up for the same internship, and Arthur says, I'm a straight a student. My documentaries have garnered multiple film festival honors, and I have a letter of recommendations from letter of recommendation from Ted Turner.
Speaker 2: Arthur boasts I.
Speaker 1: Can walk in without pants and get this job, and then, in a very funny joke, as Arthur walks away.
Speaker 2: Eric yells, I've seen you in Jim class wear pants.
Speaker 4: Wear pants in my sweater. This is the second sweater that I had until like a month ago. Oh and I remember him always getting a laugh and trying not to break every time in the way he said Ted.
Speaker 2: Turner, Ted Turner like he was just so perfect the way he was doing that. He was very funny. I'm so glad you got rid of these clothes. I remember them ten years ago. We Shiloh was my brother. Shiloh was dating somebody, and this must have been more than ten years ago, because I think you were kind of flirting with another another. Do you remember Katie? Shiloh was dating Katie, So this is like, oh gosh, this has got to be like fifteen years ago. Anyway, one of her friends was like interested in you, and you guys had like this night where the four of you went out or it was like a party or something, and she like turned to Katie. She's like, he's wearing a sweater from the TV show. It was like ten years after the show. She was like, I don't know if I can take that serious.
Speaker 7: Close recognized it to recognize that will in real life was wearing his wardrobe from Boy Meets World like I was after the fact, and it was like time to move on, man, you gotta I gotta get a new set of clothes.
Speaker 1: Well, next time you get rid of a sweater from the show, could you at least let me know, because I kind of want to keep one of Will's sweaters from the show.
Speaker 2: And now they're all gone. I'm married. I think the sweaters go away, right, Yeah, I still want one.
Speaker 1: If you find any in a box, I will let me know in a box somewhere in.
Speaker 2: A box nearby.
Speaker 1: Sean walks over to Dana, who's sitting at a table promoting the Blood Drive. Yeah you do, She asks if he's signing up, and Sean drops a giant paper bag on the table, saying, way ahead of you blood. Dana opens it and asks where he got it. Sean says, I went down to my uncle Louis butcher shop this morning. Dana clarifies they're collecting human blood.
Speaker 2: Sean says, it's human. It's from Louise's arms. He gives all the time. He didn't even know. I took it, just very vital. I think this is funny, but it just made me very uncomfortable. Yeah, I'm not cool with like blood jokes and jokes. I was suddenly like, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it's funny banter, but man, it made me uncomfortable. Why. I don't know. I think I have a thing with like blood in meat and like no.
Speaker 4: No from the conventions covered in blood.
Speaker 2: I like it in horror films. I like it when it's like actually treated like blood, but when it's like a joke and with the pork chops.
Speaker 1: No, And then we're in the school cafeteria. Corey asks Sean, so she really said you're not boyfriend material. Sean, nodding his head, admits he really liked her. Corey is surprised because she seems like the type of girl that he'd end up with a concern. Sean asks if Corey's saying he can't end up with nice girls, and Cory says, no, calm down. I would love to go out with some of the girls you go out with, but I can't because I'm stuck being the nice guy, and all those girls want from me is directions to you. Sean asks Cory what he means by those girls, and Corey says sexy, hot, flashy, the kind of girls I've never gone out with in my life. And on cue, Tipega walks up, hearing what Corey said, and so he clarifies except one time.
Speaker 2: Except one time, Corey turns. It's very funny.
Speaker 1: Corey turns to Tapega and says, hello, Flashy. She tells him it's a okay. She's happy to be thought of as a nice girl. And then I love that you're drinking a Martin Nelly's apple juice. It's been added to the school menu along.
Speaker 2: With her off your red juice. Awesome red drink. It was it would be too weird with the blood conversation. Yeah, exactly, drink in the red drink. Now you get Martin Nelly's apple juice.
Speaker 4: They just figured out the red dyes of carcinogen, so they just shelves.
Speaker 2: For a while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I're wigged.
Speaker 1: Ta Panka tells Sean if this has anything to do with Dana Pruitt. I don't have all the information yet. I've only been to the bathroom three times this morning. Corey asks, so Topanga, as the hottest and flashiest girl of the Nice Girl camp, would you ever consider going out with Sean. Tapega smirks at Sean and says, well, he'd have to ask me. Sean asks Tapanga, would you ever consider going out with me? And she says no. Sean wants to know why. Topanga asks if he wants the truth, and he says, yeah, I want the truth. Tapanga tells him you couldn't handle the truth. Sean and Corey both tell her he can handle the truth, and this is clearly boy meets World.
Speaker 2: Nod to the movie, A few good men, got it?
Speaker 1: Tapanga asks Corey, so you'll take responsibility for how he feels about it. Corey tells her absolutely. Tapanga looks at Sean and says, you don't understand women. You don't know what we are, how we feel, or what we think. You see us as dating objects, and the faster we are, the more you want us. Until you grow up and see beyond that, no matter how many girls you go out with, you will always be lonely.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's a great speech. Great, great, you are so good in this sea on you. It's a great speech and you're delivering perfectly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy with where Tapanga has landed as a character and where you've landed as an actor. It just works. It's like this, yeah, this confidence. I mean you, you're like a thirty five year old woman in this seed. I know, it's amazing. It's so great.
Speaker 1: It's like a real I was very happy with it too, and I never say that, so I was very happy with it.
Speaker 2: I thought that thought that was that felt really good.
Speaker 1: I also wish we got to see more of these moments, and maybe we do moving forward, maybe there are more moments like this where Tapanga is just a wise friend to the boys, part of the gang and part of the gang. Because I love this dynamic where she's not Cory's girlfriend, but she's still part of their group and somebody they trust and can count on to give them helpful advice.
Speaker 2: I really I love this.
Speaker 4: I do too, But it won't last because you belong together.
Speaker 2: That's why. Well we'll see.
Speaker 1: I don't know for I don't know how many more episodes we have before we eventually get back together.
Speaker 2: So let's see. Let's see how long this goes.
Speaker 1: Sean looks like a deer in the headlights and Sean asks Corey, you let her say that to me. Corey tells him she's lying, Topanga tell Sean, look at yourself. You go from girl to girl, and that makes anyone who'd consider a relationship with you afraid of getting hurt. Every girl thinks you'll eventually get bored and move on. Seawan's taken aback and says.
Speaker 2: Wow, they know, I know. Yep, so so good. It's great. You were all great in the scene, all three of you. This was a very boy meets world.
Speaker 4: Perfect dialogue, well delivered, shows a new dynamic.
Speaker 2: It was a very very good scene. Yeah, we all seem older. Her characters are allowed to age up a little bit.
Speaker 1: We feel settled. Yeah, we also don't feel panicky. There's no we feel like really comfortable. There was some I mean for me especially. That's what I'm noticing is like the the there was like anxiety behind my eyes.
Speaker 2: Maybe you finally had a contract, Maybe I had a contract you want to give you. I felt welcomed. I don't all that anymore.
Speaker 4: I also think I think we can put a lot of that at Jeff McCracken. I think McCracken always did his best to make us just feel comfortable.
Speaker 2: We owned the scenes. Yes, he felt like ours as an actor.
Speaker 4: He wanted it's like, no, why do you That was the first time of having actor conversations with somebody.
Speaker 2: How are you feeling? What do you want to do? We were moving away with this scene. We were moving away from being line delivery systems instead agents of our own uh or we're just having our own agency, right, like we could engage in these scenes. And yeah, and and like WEP pointed out earlier, Sean is anxious, Sean is destabilized, and that's okay, Like stay in that and like play the scene out with that feeling.
Speaker 4: It's really McCracken really encouraged that every week. I mean that was really just started to feel comfortable. I was like, oh I can oh, okay, I can do this. It's not just kissing covering Zichy. You can figure out what this is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was great with that stuff.
Speaker 1: So then we're in the news station, know what all. Arthur walks out of his interview and the news director thanks him for coming down. He was very impressive. She admits, I don't know whether to offer you the internship or my job. Arthur asks if she has his resume, and she laughs and flips through a booklet, saying I'll finish it this weekend. Eric, sitting nearby, looks down at his own resume and reads box Boy at Daddy's Store, and then he changes it to headbox Head, and he gets nervous they'll check, so he crumples it and throws it out. I love this, Eric, Eric and Arthur greet each other in a very Seinfeld Newman way, total so funny, and Eric hustles over to the interview or just as she's closing the door. Excuse me, ma'am, I believe I have an interview, he says Eric Matthews, and she laughs, asking.
Speaker 2: There really isn't Eric Matthews.
Speaker 1: So that resume Eli sent over wasn't a Joe. She catches herself in motions to come in her office.
Speaker 4: Tony and I were so excited that she was on our show. Oh yeah, because we were huge fans of the Abyss and we had.
Speaker 2: Just was she was one night in the Abyss. Yes, So we were so we were so excited.
Speaker 4: We run our laser dis and he signed contest and we sat there and we kept she was she was a trooper because we were peppering her with questions about about the movie and we were so so good and make a disaster shoot, like have you ever watched the behind the.
Speaker 2: Scenes Exac's why Ed Harris like almost died. They just they took a big like tank and covered it with like black golf ball, so like the whole so we looked like Dark one Day is insane. Oh my god, it's one of the craziest shoots of all time.
Speaker 4: He wouldn't he didn't yet, Key, he had it perfectly timed, yell cut at the right time, and he just held them back.
Speaker 2: So Ed Harris is panicking underwatch.
Speaker 4: But we're asking her all these questions and she was so nice and answering every stupid fan question we had.
Speaker 2: That was one of the first movies that I remember. The Laser Disc had the alternative alternative directors ending, which was so much better, and I remember you guys being like, you have to watch the Laser disc version, not the HS. And so we went to Dave's Laser place and got the Loser this and I watched it obsessively. It was so much better, so much better. We were just.
Speaker 4: We were over the moon that she was on our show, and she was so sweet and oh man, we were just throwing questions at her the whole week. She must have just been so happy to get away from us at the end of the day. But man, it was great.
Speaker 8: Yeah, totally, it's so cute.
Speaker 2: So then we're in Phoenie's classroom. Foenie is back to teaching.
Speaker 1: He's telling students that if press coverage of past politicians had been as invasive as it is today, such men as Franklin Roosevelt and John Kennedy might have never been elected president. How timely even for today, Sean, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Give me Phoene teaching in front of a classroom everything every day, I know, I know, so comforting.
Speaker 2: Just to have scene it's great. This is like just such good writing, right, Like have kids debating a historical subject, but have it be about personal relationships and they're like having it's so good. I love it, Yes, and I love that. Phoene's reaction is like, great, let's involve this, like, let's welcome personal life stuff. He can he knows what's going on, but he's still excited because it means we're engaging with the subject matter.
Speaker 1: Oh see, it's exactly Season one stuff we loved where the storyline exactly but aged up and it is it's so so beautiful. Sean asks mister Foene if he would consider John Kennedy a great president, to which Phoene says, his time in office was short, but he accomplished a great deal.
Speaker 2: Sean follows up.
Speaker 1: The fact that he was a babe magnet didn't make him any less great, did it, and Dana answers, in a lot of people's eyes, it did less of a husband, less of a leader, and all the girls in the room agree. Phoene says, well, I think we've heard from the women. What do you think, mister hunter. Sean says, all I know is it's not easy for a guy to change who he is. All the boys now audibly agree with Sean, and Dana responds, you can't change if you don't try. Sean tells her, I can't try unless you give me a chance. Phoene sees that Sean has spurred a debate and now wants to hear everyone's opinions in an essay do tomorrow. All the students grown angry at Sean, and the bell rings. Dana gets up and leaves without even looking back at Sean.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite se though, is still the you've sparked a debate fine, when's detention like he's obviously thought he did something wrong where it's just so great cute, right, I finally talked and that's what and that's what happened. Fine, when's detention so good?
Speaker 1: Then we're back at the news station. Eric walks out of his interview, sweating. You are dripping like a pig, you say, you know Ms Cannon Your office is mighty mighty hut, she responds, and it was mighty mighty nice to meet you. He asks, I'm not gonnading this internship, am I? And she says, well, everyone has a chance. Eric eagerly asks really, and she droyly says, I don't do this to me.
Speaker 2: Time for this Eric.
Speaker 1: Eric then stands in front of a news camera pretending to be a reporter. This just in Eric Matthews is a huge loser. A man cleaning up nearby overhears him and asks why he's a loser. Eric apologizes and says he'll get out of his way. The man asks if Eric was here for the internship. Eric says yes, but he blew it because he wasn't himself. Although straight a guys want is something to put on their resume, he really wanted the gig ms. Cannon doesn't know this, but I do that job so much better than any of them because I need it more.
Speaker 2: The man asks did you tell her that? And Eric admits no, it choked.
Speaker 1: In front of the most important person at the station, and the man reveals no, he didn't. Yeah I did, Eric says, I was sweating so much my shoes started to squish. The man laughs and tells him, no, I meant she's not the most important person at the station.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, I love the behavior of Eric just cleaning up, being a good intern. Like it's it's perfect writing. Yes, because it's like you you see it coming, I mean, and it's very obvious, you know, you know's it's so good because it pays off. And this man I don't know his name, is such a good actor, what a presence, and like you just don't see this often, Brandon Maggert. Yeah, he's good, and he's so relaxed and he doesn't I feel like often, you know, people with smaller parts guests staring on sitcoms have to be a goofy character or a villain character or something, and he just just just a guy, just a good guy. And he engages with you and he's listening to you such a solid acting performance. Yeah, it's great, and Eric laughs.
Speaker 1: He says, hey, pal, I know coffee's really important and everything. But the man introduces himself as Pat Derby, the station manager. He says he's shaking the hand of his new intern. I'll see you Monday. Be yourself or I'll fire you. Eric is shocked, saying, oh oh oh, yes, sir, Thank you so much, sir, I'll be here. Just before he leaves, he turns and asks the man, before I go home and tell my parents, do you have a business card in a photo ID?
Speaker 2: And I even love.
Speaker 1: That aspect of this for Eric that in every other episode we've ever seen, he just hears something and runs home with it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be a supermodel. I'm going to be a this And.
Speaker 1: Even as far as seeing him learn from his past mistakes, I'm going to need to verify this with my I'm going to need to show my parent I'm going to have to have something. I just love this evolution for Eric that for this job, for this thing, this is clearly where he's dialed in and I just think it's great.
Speaker 2: Guys. As we go through this scene by scene, this is becoming a much better episode than I actually thought. It's breaking down each scene, it's they're each really tight, strong, like there's there's there's journeys, there's changes. It's really a solid episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, I think I think maybe my resistance to this episode just comes out of, you know, the whole nice girl versus is flashy girl thing, which is just it seems like such an oversimplification and it's very reductive. But where it ends up is very good, you know, like it wrestles with that. But I just I get I just had a hard time with characters just outright being like, well, that's who this girl is, that's who that guy is. It's just like uh, but I guess as a launching point, you kind of have to be that clear in order to get to the nuance. But I wish there's a way to have had the same storyline without saying like like the flashy girls and the leather jackets, and you know, it's just it's it's it's reductive.
Speaker 1: Well, I agree with you, but I also think when you are a kid and you're learning how to categorize the world, right, the more simple the better, because truly, if you present to children it's all gray, everyone's all gray, then why not go they just lost? Then why not hang out with with this, with the druggy kids. Why not hang out with the kids who carry weapons to school? You know they're good people too, Like you, you do have to start create categorizations and boundaries and and and put your kid in and they for themselves have to figure out where do I feel good, Where do I fit in?
Speaker 2: What feels what feels like? There are categories when you're that age.
Speaker 4: You're the jock, or you're the you're the stoner, you're the skater, you're the goth kid. There are there's like that's what your pigeon holed into, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: So if that's true anymore, I think it was definitely true back then.
Speaker 4: Back then, back in the nineties. I mean that's how it was. That you were just that's you had your click and that's all it was. So you were the and and the girls that kissed or maybe fooled around, they were they were considered the fast girls.
Speaker 2: That's obviously not what they were called.
Speaker 4: But everyone was putting those categories instantly, And you spend the next three years of high school, trying to, you know, fight against whatever category you were put in or falling into it where it's like I'm a jock, I'm a I'm a skater, I'm a goth.
Speaker 2: That's all. It kind of was. So I think they're picking up on that a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think for for a show, it is the perfect way to deliver a lesson you. You know, it's so I really like it.
Speaker 2: Then we're into Turner's apartment.
Speaker 1: Sean and Corey, dressed again for a blizzard, walk through the door. Just as Corey assures Sean, don't let what Tapega said bother you. If I listen to everything to Pega told me, Sean interrupts and says, you guys would still be together. Corey shouts at him, then what are you listening to me for? Corey fills Turner in by saying Dana Preuitt. Turner responds, nice girl. Then Corey says Sean Hunter, Turner says, Corey goes, all right, you're caught up to speed.
Speaker 2: My work here is done. Wish me luck. I'm going out back out in the blizzard with one minute with one mitten. Oh so great, just perfect, Corey and there's Turner doing what Turner does, which snap and green vegetables of green vegetables, vegetables at that table in a nice sweater that I love it. I love the snap and bean business. It's really great.
Speaker 1: Turner asks Sean if he's okay, and Sean says, I really like Dana John and I'm pretty sure that she likes me, but she's afraid to get involved with me.
Speaker 2: And Turner asks, can we just go back and talk about that horrific hat I walk in with When we walk in, I'm wearing I think, what's sort of like a remember the kangle hats like, but it's like a coofy one. It's like a reddish like it just goes straight up and I'm like, what is it? Like, Yes, it is again, I just rip it off. I'm like, yeah, good, good move, writer, Get that thing off of your head.
Speaker 4: Geez. Do you know the pompon pompons on top of hats were actually functional? They're actually they were actually used by uh Spanish merchants in ships, so if they stood up too fast and they hit their head on the beam of the ship, they have something protect.
Speaker 2: A little patty whoa. I love that functional. There you go. Look at that. Uh.
Speaker 1: Turner asks the Hunter reputation, huh, and Sean tells him I used to be so proud of it. And then Corey walks back in saying I lost my other mitten?
Speaker 2: Did he lose his other? Right there? His jacket to him, I love it. I didn't notice it. Don't mind me, I'll just look.
Speaker 1: Sean asks Turner, what was I even thinking asking out a girl like Dana Brewett. I know exactly where I belong back with all those fast, flashy girls. Corey interrupts, still searching for that mitten. It was blue, fuzzy Sean and Turner just look at him. Turner tells Sean, you know, it seems to me the people you care most about in the world aren't fast and flashy. Right on time, Corey interrupts again, Hey, look, it's the scarf of mine I lost last year. And I feel like Turner would have lifted his couch cushions last year. I feel like he would have seen that.
Speaker 4: The little benisms, the little bet like when he puts the scarf and he goes yes, like he's got he has all these little bend things that.
Speaker 1: Are also love that he does it like with a scarf where it has some weight where he tries to swing it around his neck and it doesn't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: It just like barely lofts up into the air. Yes, so turns this is perfect. This is perfect writing. Right, you have like this expositional conversation going on, punctuated by comic relief with Corey. It's perfect because it's release valve. And then of course it comes around into the exposition where Turner's like, this is the relationship where you actually listen to each other, and it's like, wow, good writing, just so so perfect.
Speaker 1: Turner, looking at Corey, says, you see this guy right here, this is your best relationship. You guys listen to each other and you really trust each other. Sean asks, that's what girls are looking for, and Turner says, oh yeah, especially the nice ones. Sean says, that's funny because Dan is the only girl I've ever really listened to. Turner asks if she knows that, Sean says he can tell her. Turner tells him to do even better, show her.
Speaker 2: Great, great lesson. That's great, wonderful.
Speaker 1: Cory on Zips's jacket and his mitten is in there. He had it the whole time, wouldn't you know it? He tells the guys you gotta love Velcrow huh. And it's my favorite Corey. Yeah, absolutely my favorite Corey right here. This is who he should be forever. And then we're in Chubby's. Corey is playing pool when Dana walks over and says, hi. Cory says, normally I'd be playing pool with my best friend, but he's off, who knows where, moping because some girl played yo yo with his feelings. Dana says, Corey, you know what his reputation is. Corey says he knows the reputation, but he also knows the guy. He asks her what's more important, Dana, the reputation or the guy. Corey explains, you went out with me because you thought I was nice. That's my reputation. But now I think you know the deep down. Corey Matthews is dangerous, dark, and very edgy.
Speaker 2: It's perfect.
Speaker 1: Corey great Man comes over the intercom, announcing with the owner of a bright red hypoallergenic ski jacket with one mitten, please claim it at the counter.
Speaker 2: Corey looks at Dana and says, oh, I gotta go. He runs away. Perfect right then where I think he sunk the eight ball with his first show, he did it. I went back. I don't think it actually is the eight ball, but it was so distracted. I was like, could they have picked another ball because it just looks like the four is the purple one for Because I went back and I was like, there's no way they would have let that go unless maybe that's the joke he thinks he's just sinking. Was so distracting for me. That's funny. Then we're outside of Chubby's.
Speaker 1: It's the first time since the Jungle Rave Dana is walking out snow.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: I love fakes, beautiful fakes. It's so fun. They have to they have to sift it above you. They usually have these big like turning turning wheels, bitter metals like drums basically that are that that just like what you used to sift flour into a recipe. But it's shaking out the snow. It's so fun.
Speaker 4: I just used to be asbestos. Didn't fake snow. Used to be something really really bad for you.
Speaker 2: The inmates from the audience, you know what, you.
Speaker 4: Know what, don't start with me, don't start with me. Why don't you send me a link to go buy fake snow.
Speaker 2: Just sprinkle disgust us. They're just all over us by googling. No not not not the like in like the sixties and the seventies. I would not know when we were no, no, no.
Speaker 4: I think by that point they figured it out, but it was bad back in the day.
Speaker 2: Well. I remember when signing my first contract for Lama's Robb, I had to sign away that I was okay with the fake fog that they used on stage. And I'm sure what I was signing the way was that I could I'll never sue your this toxic. Yeah, and it's a very specific smell that you don't get anymore on live stations. But used to be they would still use the same stuff. And I would go to see like other productions of plays now and if they used that that fake fog, I would smell in the audience and be like taken right back to being nine ten and being in LEAMZ. There you go, cancerous lungs, dangerous asbestos, created Christmas of Hollywood's paths. Wow, so yep it yep. And they stopped using it in twenty ten, exactly. No, it was like I said, the early part of the twentieth century. So yes, it was all all asbestos.
Speaker 1: So Dana is walking out. She's greeted by Sean, who set up a picnic in the snow. He admits this seemed like a better idea before my lips froze, and I thought he they my one little tiny critique. I wish they would have used fingers, because the lips again made me think that he was talking about wanting to kiss her. Kis sir and I and I was like, he's here to prove to her that he listens to her, and I didn't want there to be any sort of lip talk. I wish until my fingers froze, or my toes froze, or until she's talking.
Speaker 2: About blood again.
Speaker 1: Something yeah, something something covered in blood. You know, writers, everything I don't know.
Speaker 4: Is there I have a I have a technical question about creating a television show, and I'm not even sure this is possible. Is there a way to fake breath, like you're outside in the cold so you can see your breath?
Speaker 2: Is there a way to that you can fake that? There's a way to reduce it. So what you're supposed to do if you're in real cold weather, you're supposed to have ice cubes in your mouth. So actors for years, if they weren't supposed to be cold and it was like cold enough that you could see your breath would have to put ice cubes in their mouth to act. I never had to do that, but like, if it was not supposed to be too cold. But now they add it digitally.
Speaker 4: Let's just say the way. But back then, was there a way to fake the breath to make it look like it's cold.
Speaker 2: Maybe give you a cigarette. I've done it. We'll get to that scene because that's happened. I really I remember shooting this scene was was really tough. I remember it kind of broke down the set and I can't figure out why exactly, but there was a lot of yelling. There's a lot of tension on set at one point, I remember because so Larissa and I had the same manager at the time, and he was also my acting teacher and coach, and at one point I went off the set and talked to him, and everybody got upset. Michael, that you that you talk to him. Yes, that I would ever talk to somebody else outside of our crew about the scene was like this big no, no, and like it became this big power play to like get him off the set, and like I remember, you know, it was probably because Michael felt threatened that this guy was both Larissa and my manager. But it was like I remember it being big drama and like, did you ask him an acting question? I think, like talking about I don't know, you know, I was like he was probably just like how's it going? What do you think? Like could I do it this way? Or you know, like this is a guy who I worked on acting from the age of eleven on, and so it seemed you know, but I mean in retrospect that is probably slightly inappropriate, but it's also like whatever, it gets the scene done, you know, But I think it was it was more about like that Michael felt like he couldn't control the scene that you know, that I was maybe getting outside advice was like a big deal. And I don't think he was allowed on the set after that, really, yeah, not on stage. Yeah, it was it was a thing. Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, Sean pulls out his thermos and offers Danta some hot soup. He pours it out, but it's frozen solid. Dane asks Sean what he's doing. He says, I remembered you said you like picnics, so I figured, why wait till spring? Besides, did you know that in winter picnic baskets are like a million percent off? Sean says, look, Dana, you say I'm not boyfriend material, and maybe I'm not, but why won't you give me a chance to try.
Speaker 2: Dane admits I'm afraid of you.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe you can't understand that, but I'm afraid of you, and Sean tells her I'm afraid of you too. It's not like I love you or anything. I just like you and I want to be with you and I've never felt that way about a girl before, and you know it scares me.
Speaker 2: Very sweet, so sweet.
Speaker 1: Dana smiles and says, come on, let's get you inside, and Sean tells her I want to be out here with you. I want a second date, and she tells him I want to see you again too. He asks if she means that and she says yes. She asks you want to seal it with a kiss, and he smiles and asks her, what's our rush? Aw Sean sticks out his hand for Dana to hold and they walk back into Chubby's together.
Speaker 2: So I remember you know, I obviously, like I said, remember doing this. But this was also the audition scene for Trina McGee. Oh, this was the scene that she did when you know, I think she talked about on the show. She came back like five times for her part. But yeah, I mean often this is what shows will do. They don't write a new scene, or if they're building a character around an actor, they use an older scene. And this was the scene that she used to audition, and then they brought me in to read with her. She was in the after I read with like when they by the time they brought me and they were pretty settled on Trina and I remember sitting into the audition being like, well I did this with Larissa, there's no way it could be better or good. And instead Trina and I just had this amazing chemistry. Like we in the audition room. I remember going oh wow, oh, you know, like because I thought, you know, like how could this scene ever be taught? And I was like, oh, actually, like we have something here, and we found new levels to it. It was a different scene, but it was really and Trina was just so good and it was like, oh, okay, this is going to be the new girlfriend. But it's funny because I think this is the long gues girlfriend. Sean has these two episodes, and so I think that's kind of the only material they had to audition somebody that was going to be because is it just too with Larissa? Yeah, I think so she's in the next episode and that's it, and that's it. Huh, well, then our tag. We're in the Matthew's kitchen.
Speaker 1: Morgan is pouring coffee into dozens of mugs on the table and Eric reminds her remember dcaf ones are in the chipped cups. She says, oh, I put dcaff in this one, revealing an unchipped cup. He grabs a spoon, smacks a chip into it, and says, problem solved. I was born to be an intern. Amy and Alan walk downstairs, and Amy notices Eric's work, Oh how sweet you made coffee, and Alan jokes for the next three years. Eric says, these aren't for them. These are for my coworkers and what we and the biz like to call the bib biz.
Speaker 4: Eric.
Speaker 2: I find for a moment that the scene was going to end with you trying to carry all these I was like waiting for some fit and I was like, I don't think that actually happens, but that could be really funny to watch Will try and gather up all these cups. And I just thought it.
Speaker 4: Was amazing that the Matthews have thirty five mugs in their house.
Speaker 2: I have that many mondys. I do too, do you really, because because for whatever reason, I love mugsytale of coffee, so we collect them whenever we gohost places. So we have so many money you go same, I have tons.
Speaker 1: If I actually buy one more mug, I have to buy a new house because I have I.
Speaker 2: Like unusual mugs. I can't like people that buy like the same mug, you know, eight versions of the same mug. I'm like, what do you know? Every mug should be different. Every cup of coffee is unique. Every cup of coffee is a little asbestos snowflake, just different from the others snowflake.
Speaker 1: Eric explains that part of my job description is to get the crew coffee. Alan says, why don't think that means you're supposed to bring it from home? Eric scoffs who said anything about bringing it? We hear a knock on the door and Eric yells out, hey, right on time, Come on, in. A gaggle of newsroom workers enter and Eric announces they have regular and decaf. Then a bell goes off for the muffins he's making. He tells his parents, these TP these TV people love their bake goods. As he's holding a tray of donuts, Alan sees an opportunity and grabs one quickly.
Speaker 2: So cute. Loved this episode me too.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily a ton of like laugh out loud moments, not a lot, not a ton of huge laughs, but laughs in all the right places and for character and character based laughs, and I just really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: So me too.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. You can follow us on Instagram pod meets World Show. You can send us your emails podmeets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: And we have merch. What happened? I know you peaked, so you went out perfect. That's what I want. Did I want to peak? So nobody knows how I said it. I said merch, just loud, just loud, a loud merch. Okay.
Speaker 1: Our next episode is season three, episode sixteen, Stormy Weather. It originally aired Forbruary ninth, nineteen ninety six, So please join us for that recap and writer send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed. Podmeats World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Taras Sudbach, producer, Maddi Moore, engineer and boy Mets World Superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com