Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three ten, Episode.
Speaker 2: Four of Dally's Guys Way production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America share consciousness. And it is Thursday, October twenty sixth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Hey you know what that means?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 2: Is National Tennessee Day. Shout out to Memphis Tennekee.
Speaker 1: Uh national our guests today coming to us from Tanicke. If we're allowed to say that, I don't know, do you acknowledge?
Speaker 4: I mean it is Nashville really a part of Tennessee. It's kind of the same way and that like if you say somebody's from Techa, Yeah, Austin's part of Texas. It's like if there was a new Civil War. I you know, Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Man, I hear that.
Speaker 4: I hear that twang in your boy.
Speaker 2: You're a good old boy. Yeah, exactly. And Tenekee a reference to the former gunit rapper Young Buck, who hailed from Tennessee. I think that was his moniker, mister Tenikee. Anyway, National Meal Day, National mince Meat Day, and National Pumpkin Day.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So this is the one, Yes, this is the one where we get all our pumpkins in we're here it is pumpkin season. Yeah, and they've got the day, so appreciate it. Also, mince meat, I've never really is it?
Speaker 2: Is it just ground beef?
Speaker 1: Is that what it is?
Speaker 2: Well, like a mince like a traditional one will have also like fruit in it. Sometimes it's mince meat pie. Yeah, meat pie. Yeah, it's like it's to celebrate mince meat pie. Okay, great, don't care because you imagine National ground Beef Day, I mean, based on what we've seen, that is very possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, every day. Yeah, every day's National ground chuck Day. My name is Jack O'Brien aka. Just thinking about my lambeau clears away the piss pants and the sorrow till there's none. When I'm here with Miles Gray and hose me yay, I just shine up my thigh and rise and say, oh, how do I get my lambeau? Got a rising grind to get to lambo? Come what may get Lambeau? Get lambo?
Speaker 3: Grind?
Speaker 2: Set to get Lambeau?
Speaker 1: You're always a day oh away. That is Curtsey of the Blake Rogers. The Blake Rogers said, better hear those pipes Jack sing it to the cheap seats. He is my best to honor you, sir, and I'm thrilled to be joined as always buy my co.
Speaker 2: Host, mister Miles Gray. Miles Gray aka I steep.
Speaker 3: My oolong and out of mugs.
Speaker 2: Whither are you? Gambo Mill makes a book? When I sell to you shout out to Alicia T's obviously Alicia keys te brand uh in that uh to the tune of Fallen by Alicia Keese talking about her teas shout out to fight her the Nightmaan on the discord, bringing that wonderful celebrity business concept to the listener's ears.
Speaker 1: All right, well, Miles, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by the best selling author of books like Oh I Don't Know John Dies at the End, Zoe punches the future and the Dick and the News. Zoe is too drug for this dystopia which out now?
Speaker 3: Can we?
Speaker 4: Is it out out on Halloween Tuesday this coming Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Also one of the hosts of the podcast Big Feats, which, if I'm reading this Paris Review article correctly, is the only Mountain Monsters podcast officially endorsed by Big Feats. He's my former coworker at Crack dot Com and co creator of the Crack podcast. Welcome back to the show, Jason Pardon.
Speaker 4: There are certain people listening to us who are hearing me on a podcast for the eighth time in the last week.
Speaker 1: Are round to you.
Speaker 4: I apologize. I booked a total of twenty two podcast appearances and this is the last one because they were all in the run up to the way book promotion goes, you promote in advance. It's kind of like Christmas how you start celebrating Christmas in August in the United States. It's kind of like that. You promote in advance to build up pre orders. And I've been promoting for the past I don't know, three years for this book and finally it is here. But this in the last few weeks, I've booked basically every podcast that will have me to let people know that the book is coming. There are a lot of audiobook listeners in your audience. That is something I have learned because I guess they see audiobooks is just another kind of podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, what if this podcasts out something? Yeah, what if this podcast was fact checked and didn't have people randomly singing at the beginning of it. Well, it's all been leading up to this, Jason that thank you for joining us. How has the twenty two podcasts?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Is it just a blur of podcast? Do you even know what podcast you're on?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: This isn't Rogan Man all right.
Speaker 4: So the ones that are the toughest are the interviews where they want to ask me about my process and all that. They're all very nice people. Nobody is out to grill me. But that's to.
Speaker 2: Me the least.
Speaker 4: The least interesting subject for me to discuss is myself and what goes through my mind when writing books. I realized that fans find it interesting, but I think most creative people would prefer to prefer to talk about something else unless they are just terrible people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't understand it, right, Like it's hard to like figure out your process or it seems boring to you, right.
Speaker 4: Well? Also, my process for writing books is not like Hunter S. Thompson. I didn't get high and go in the desert for nine months and then go undercover with the Hell's Angels.
Speaker 2: It is it is a story.
Speaker 4: I just yea, I came about what your process was.
Speaker 3: That was it? Right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well sorry I cut you off. J Miles, what were you saying?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I was just saying. I mean it's talking about process. I'm sure can be boring to you, but if it's something different, right, I think, like for creative people, it's good to hear or people who are aspiring to do creative work, just to even hear people demystified to be like, yeah, there's nothing like really special about it. It's just something I do by expressing myself because I feel like a lot of the times it's easy to build it up in your head. It's like, what's my mythical fucking process that's so different? And sometimes it is like refreshing to hear people whose work you like, just to be like, yeah, just just kind of have ideas and just kind of toy with them and yeah, it's nothing really wild like that.
Speaker 1: Bob Dylan is the most fascinating person to hear talk about everything except like Bob Dylan songs, and then he becomes like completely incoherent and you're just like, what the fuck is.
Speaker 3: He talking about? I thought this guy was smart.
Speaker 4: And likewise, Quentin Terrence, if you ask him about cinema fascinating to listen to, fascinating, like the science of cinema, storytelling, writing, He can talk about that stuff. He knows more, He's forgotten more than most filmmakers ever know. If you listen to him speak on any other subject. The most insufferable man, Yeah, the most uninformed opinions, the most just you get him talking about screenwriting or storytelling or the history, like he has seen every movie. Yeah, it's like, let's just talk about that. But yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Saw like a thing. It was probably like an old clip where people were just reading him the like the back of like vhs like B movies to see if he could kind of figure out what the movie was. And he was like, to your point, I mean, I know, you, like worked in a video store, and that is like a sort of a huge part of him, like ingesting so much media. But it was wild how pretty accurate he was with things I had never even heard of.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, I just watched a B movie recommended by him. Well, like, so he programs it. Wait, we might even talk about this a little bit later on, but he programs an entire movie theater here in Los Angeles, the New BEV, And he also recommends this movie My Bloody Valentine as like a good He said it's his favorite slasher movie and I watched that last weekend and it is terrible and also like, I highly recommend it. It's like a lot like he knows what he's talking about. Absolutely when it comes to b movies, he's it's a it's a great time at the movies. Anyways, Jason, we're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're gonna tell our listeners a couple of the things that we're talking about. They did elect a speaker of the House. I don't know we can talk about that. We probably talked about it on Yesterday's Trending so but we might. Well we'll mention it briefly.
Speaker 2: Turns out he's a piece of crap. Turns out real piece of shit. Hey, speaking of real pieces of shit. This serial killer, that's right, I said it. This serial killer, the kill Go Beach serial killer. Not a good guy.
Speaker 1: But also the the cops did a It's just like more in the deprogramming of my brain from a lifetime of being watching cop movies and shit like that. And then every time I read a story about the actual investigation that ends up, you know, finding finding a killer or not finding a killer. It's always just like shocking incompetence on the part of the police. So I just wanted to there's a New York Times article about the process of eventually arresting this serial killer in Long Beach or Long Island, not Long Beach, Long Island near New York City, and how it happened. All of that plenty more. But before we get to it, Jason, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 4: Yes, yesterday I searched can a president serve from prison? Yeah, because if the the elections hell today, not only would Donald Trump win, he would win so easily that as soon as they closed the polls they would announce he had won. He's ahead in most of the swing states. But also it looks like the odds are he will lose some of these court cases and possibly wind up in prison. So him winning the presidency from jail at this moment is the statistical most likely outcome. So I was trying to figure out can you do that? And the answer is it's never happened before, so we don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, what is a does he get like a briefing through like the plate glass and like on that phone, you know, like how to even do that kind of shit?
Speaker 4: I see, This is what I was searching, because every article I ran into, they were digging into like the constitutional rules of is there anything that prevents him from serving an office? And the answer is no, unless there's some possible thing that if you can, you know, claim that he rebelled against the government, that could prevent him from holding off or whatever. I was more looking at the logistics up, Yeah, like wouldn't he be considered incapacitated because he can't perform the functions of the head of state, He can't do those meetings, he can't do like that would be against all sorts of rules of his incarceration. So would you just be electing his vice president, which again we don't know who that is, and it is so unprecedented, apparently it's never been considered before.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember reading things about like what would happen if he went to jail, not really talking about if it's possible that he is president from there. And a lot of people are pointing out because you have that like lifetime secret Service detail, the logistics of trying to protect someone who's incarcerated, like that already becomes like murky, and a lot of people are like, maybe it would just end up being house arrest because of like that fact or whatever. But yeah, there's a lot of unanswered questions as to like mechanically how any of that wor.
Speaker 1: Think we're like picturing him in an orange jumpsuit in prison yard the prison yards that we've seen in movies, and I don't think there's any way that ends up happening, right, Like they're gonna come up with some modified solution where he is like or a deferred sentence or something along those lines. But I also don't think the jail that he would go to, even if were he not elected president, would look anything like the jails that we're imagining.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it wouldn't be like san Quentin in the Metallica video.
Speaker 1: No, Like yeah, oh, I feel like he would be like he would have a lot of credibility and you know who knows.
Speaker 2: I mean again, that's like that thought experiment is also wild, Like what happens if he were to go in gen pop? Like you know, the skinheads are.
Speaker 3: Like, hey man, we got your back.
Speaker 4: Don't worry.
Speaker 3: Does it go for bullwarth on us is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's impossible to know.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we don't spend a lot of time paying attention to pulling, but just generally he underpolls, like he doesn't perform well in as well in polls as he does in elections, and he is winning in the poll. Yeah, like you're you're right, it's pretty like stagger, like he's if the election is tomorrow, and it's not like he's riding a wave of good fortune at this point. He is winning the election while being the most indicted human being in the United States. So I don't know what happens, but it does feel like we are headed towards you know, an answer on this experiment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're really fucked up for sure.
Speaker 1: Cool country, Jason.
Speaker 2: What's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 4: I know for a fact I have said this on previous appearances, but Twitter as a place to follow a big news story, as bad as it may have been in the past, it's now you now can't use it for that. And I'm saying that. You say, well, who still thinks that? I'm telling you a lot of people are trying to use it for that because following the situation in Gaza with Israel, Twitter became instantly became such a cesspool of misinformation, faked clips, faked headlines. It became usually before if you knew who to follow, you could sort through the garbage and track what was actually happening with a mass shooting or Ukraine or something that situation. From the moment it happened in early October the seventh or whatever it was, From this the very start, it just became a fog of war, of lies and propaganda and AI deep fakes and everything whatever. All of the people Elon Musk has fired from the Trust and Safety team, all of those moderators, all those people that he thought was constraining the freedom of speech. Now with this event not just a big event, but an emotionally charged event that a highly put sized one, this was the one that totally broke Twitter for me in terms of a place to learn information, right, because I found myself knowing less about the situation spending an hour on Twitter than if I just didn't read anything at all.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, because like on top of the lack of moderation, there's also just like just a general fog of war, and I think a lot of times we think that we can get like you know, news from the front line in real time and like in an environment where journalists on the ground have limited access to things, and then we're like, yeah, but it's tweeted, so this must be what's happening. There's like so many layers to sort of combat and go through that. Yet like it's, yeah, we were talking about this like for the last couple of weeks. It's just it's impossible to like find solid ground on certain things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a mess.
Speaker 1: It feels like in hearing people when you hear people interviewed who worked for Twitter prior to La Musk, and like they felt like they were just racing from like one crack in the damn to the other, just like barely holding it together, you know, like working around the clock to like stop disinformation. They're in a race with all these you know, the forces of capital and the forces of you know, just any people chaos, just wanting to like sew disinformation discord, and you know they suddenly stopped. They're like, you know, it's it's like that this was a around the clock pursuit just to like keep it usable serviceable right still with lots of disinformation and then he just fired all of them. So yeah, it's just it's a deluge of bullshit at this point.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately that you can pay to have your your signal boosted, if you know, for eight bucks. Yeah, so it's like, well that's now what filters up. But that's a very small amount to pay if you've got an agenda you want to push. And again, if you are just on there because you want to yell at people and quote tweet people and try to score points from your for your side and have a bunch of arguments and basically take something like the the the bombing of that hospital and turn it into just dunking on each other the way two sports fandoms do. Then Twitter is still great for that if you're trying to just find out what's going on, Like I just want to know what's going on. I want to be I'm not on there to try to dunk on people. I want to know what has happened. Impossible if there's such a just a torrent of people yelling genocide at each other and just saying the most horrible things they can say, and then you've got the actual Nazis joining in, right, It's like why I don't want to be on their side, but it's like why am I seeing them at all?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right, It's like, oh, now, now I remember, this is the new Twitter. This is not Twitter.
Speaker 2: This is X eight bucks, where you have like real neo Nazi type people who have like the like squeaky clean app guitar and suddenly like they've become the source of news. But a lot of people are pointing out there like, uh, this guy's an actual Nazi, so like be careful what his like actual sentiments are here, Like this sort of conveniently overlaps with his worldview, and there isn't like he doesn't have actual care for anyone in this situation. He's just able to try and attack, you know, like the like Jewish people as a whole. And I've seen like there's a couple accounts like that where I've been like, oh, this person's posting a lot, and then like other sort of extremist monitoring people are like, this person's a fucking Nazi.
Speaker 3: Like just so you know, don't get your fucking news from him.
Speaker 4: Profits from your engagement now, yeah, yeah, because remember that's not part of the model. So if they make you angry enough, like you, you're putting money in their pockets. Do you understand they're getting paid for your dunks now? But anyway, so please everyone stop using it for that. We shouldn't be using it at all. I realize that, but but it's hard to give it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, what is what?
Speaker 2: Something you think is underrated?
Speaker 4: Apparently we've been severely underrating the money making potential of movies for adults. The Scorsese film did very well last week, and now it had an incredibly high budget, but it performed very well. And obviously this is coming off the summer when the Oppenheimer movie, a biopic of Freakin' Robert Oppenheimer, made of a billion dollars worldwide, made more than any of the recent Marvel movies has made. There is clearly they have clearly created a void of demand for movies for grown ups. And it's because once one time the narrative was, well, it's just it's just Tom Cruise, the last movie star. He's the only one keeping at the loft. It's like, no, not really, the last question of possible movie did not do well, But there clearly are adults who want to go out to the theater with their families, or and not watch the Mario Brothers movie. They want to see something for grown ups that looks good on a big screen.
Speaker 3: Some adults Brothers movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, laugh, Mario was brother the movie Christian genius man.
Speaker 4: His voice, how does he do those voices? He just disappears into every role.
Speaker 2: Hey it's me Mario. Oh my god, Chris, I've.
Speaker 3: Done it again. Shape shifter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the Oppenheimer thing, is worth Like, yeah, at the time, it was part of this Barbenheimer Boppenheimer phenomenon that Yeah, I feel like we rushed past the fact that a biopic of Robert Oppenheimer made almost a billion dollars. That's doesn't really make sense and doesn't cohere to any form of Hollywood logic, you know, Is it just it's just because it's Nolan and when you have a filmmaker but like has what when Stanley Kubrick was making movies like people, people weren't rushing out to see them, like like it was a blockbuster, you know, Like this this feels like it's a new phenomenon that we haven't really seen. Like a director who anything he puts out is just like that's gonna make a billion dollars and it can be like a dry ass you know, look at and not now that this was like a dry boring movie, but it's it's pretty remarkable and very adult of us. And I must compliment we the movie going public. All right, let's uh, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back. We're back, as we covered yesterday's trending. We do have a speaker of the house. Guy's kind of boring. You need to be a seditionist too, He's kind of boring.
Speaker 2: He's tied to like hate group, kind of like a like a Antiica transphot Yeah you know he said marijuana is a gateway drug anyway. Yeah, Yeah, that's again run of the mill stuff.
Speaker 4: I think we read on your creationists believe yeah, doesn't believe in evolution.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I feel like the night before when people were like asking questions like hey, did you, like you know, you voted against certifying the election, that the like all the republics are like, boo, stop bringing up fucking reality.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, good, good taste of things to come.
Speaker 1: But it feels like they've done this more out of embarrassment and exhaustion than anything else, like, and they've just like, all right, we got to get behind somebody. And because of the way that I don't know, group dynamics work, like the people further to the right are the ones who come break through at that part, like just full boat maga guy is the one they all cohere.
Speaker 3: But yeah, well, and I'm sure the death threats helped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Gym Jordan death threats or they death threats once people were like, oh, I'm getting like people are calling my wife and threatening us because I voted against Jim Jordan.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure that that probably helped to to get have people.
Speaker 3: Fall inline at some point.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, but ultimately, like the principled moderate Republicans, like those are the principles that seem to wear down first because they don't actually care about them.
Speaker 3: I feel like, but yeah, as.
Speaker 1: We talked about yesterday, this guy's like real extremist piece of shit masquerading as a boring guy with glasses. So I think that's I think that's how they got away with it. They were like, he looks like kind of a normal boring guy, right.
Speaker 2: Nah, oh no, oh no, yeah, yeah, this is how he looks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, plutch twist. What I'm rooting for is sometime in the next few months, a court somewhere will rule that, in fact, Donald Trump did win the twenty twenty election, he has been president this whole time, and therefore is ineligible to run in twenty two twenty four. Wow, because that would be a third term.
Speaker 2: So you're right, we agree.
Speaker 4: Finally we've come around.
Speaker 3: We're right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They just pull the chair on them, like that term in basketball when you're guarding someone in the post and then you just like get out of their way and they fall backwards like they're just like actually, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you're ready one uh and we're good here, little political ikdo there?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about about this New York Times article about the Gilgo Beach serial killer. It's a long read that was in the paper I guess about a week ago, but it ties into something that we were talking about, I guess on Monday's episode because I recently rewatched the movie Zodiac and seeing it again, like after having I didn't realize how old that movie was. Like that movie came out like you know, two thousand and six, two thousand and seven, like forever ago, and the first time I saw it was like in theaters and I hadn't Like we did a bunch of cracked articles on like police incompetence and like the you know, pseudo science of police science and stuff like that, and I don't think we had done those I don't think I had done that research when that movie first came out, and just like seeing it again through those eyes, it's like the story of like they catch the Zodiac Killer pretty early on in the movie, Like there's just a lead suspect who there's no explanation for all the like he like described the killings to somebody like a year before they happened, and like it was like, yeah, I'm gonna call myself Zodiac Killer and like kill all these people and then send letters to the media.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: He's just like the most guilty anyone's ever been. But then because of bullshit police science, they rule him out and then he eventually like they ask the only eyewitness to the Zodiac kill or like who he shot and almost killed, like to identify it, and they're like, oh, yeah, no, it's the guy who said he was gonna be the Zodiac Killer. That's that's him. That's the last time I saw him. He was a zodiac killing me. But anyways, so I was in that mind frame when I'm reading this New York Times article about this serial killer who was on the loose in Long Island for a long time, and first of all, like one of the leads of the investigation, like I think he's like the DA or maybe he's the chief of Police's last name is Spoda, And he is the closest I've ever seen a real human being come to embodying the mayor from Jaws. Like he keeps having press conferences where he's like insisting that there's no reason to believe this is a serial killer, right and not just like their beach is like a dumping ground for multiple killers and so like, don't get your panties in a bunch. It's just like people like to dump by here. You don't know that it's the same person. Yeah, wasn't he getting defensive? Like when the Feds were like, hey, hey, find a new angle, it ain't here, It's like yes, yes, So the FEDS keep coming in, Like the FBI keeps coming in and being like we want to help you because you have a serial killer, like, and we have access to technology you don't have access to, Like we've been tracking cell phone data from the nights of the killings, and we've got like the killer was using a burner phone to interact with the people who he would then murder, sex workers, like who he was hiring on Craigslist. And they were like, but what we can do is we can take like any calls that were hit those same cell towers, like around the same time as the burner, like if he then switched from burner to his other phone, Like we can just do that and cross reference to that and like, you know, find it pretty quick, probably find your killer fairly quickly. And this SPOTA guy is like, this is our town. I say, get the fuck out of here. He's like, that's a fishing expedition. Is just doesn't he refuses to accept the help because he is running like one of the most corrupt like police forces in the world, Like it's just crazy. So he doesn't want outside eyes in and so I don't know. In one instance, they go to the house of the last victim, like the woman whose body they found, and they like they interview the people who she was living with, and they're like, yeah, no, we saw the guy. Like he has a green Chevy Avalanche with a custom door. It's like not normal on green Chevy Avalanche. Also, he's six foot four. Okay, he's a white guy with like big bushy hair, and like he lives close by to where they are doing doing this interview. But they like run a check in a database and it doesn't immediately find the car, and they give up that.
Speaker 3: They give up that lead like it's a it's.
Speaker 1: A rare car, a rare like a very rare color of car, and he's six foot four, right, it's and they just don't do anything with it. They just don't fucking do anything. It's over and over. It's just like, oh, you could have saved so many lives, you could have just done that. Like it it's very basic human like problem solving that they just refuse to do, either because they're like wildly incompetent, like illogically unexpectedly like I didn't know people came that incompetent, or they're like they just like don't want to solve it because they don't want attention, or I don't I don't know, but there's all sorts of shit just throughout this article. It's really worth a read. I'll link off to it in the footnote. Okay, as a.
Speaker 4: Somebody who is a fan of true crime podcasts, I'm telling you this is every serial killer.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yes, this is what I like. True crime.
Speaker 1: I think is at least partially popular because it's the first like genre that just gets at the reality that we've all been living with that like the police, like don't are not going to help you?
Speaker 4: Like on that show mind Hunter on Netflix. They made Edmund Kemper famous, the six foot nine serial killer with the mustache. The way ed mc kemper got caught, he called the local cops and said, I'm the serial killer. I can't stop. I can't stop myself. I just killed my mother. They hung up on him. They thought it was a prank, nice track. He had to call them back because they knew him. It was a small town like they knew ed Kemper. He had he was known to the cops. He come by. I said, no, listen, this is not a joke. I've just killed my mother. If you come by, you can see her corpse to prove on telling you the truth. And only didn't that they reluctantly believe him. The most prolific killer in American history is a guy named Samuel Little. He's killed at least sixty people. He claims it was closer to one hundred. He was arrested because he went to a homeless shelter, and they, I guess when homeless people check in, they run their names to see if they've got any drug warrants, because why not just go ahead and arrest them if you got them there? And yeah, he popped for the small drug warrants. They picked him up for that, and then only then ran his DNA. He's like, oh, this guy killed sixty people.
Speaker 1: Oh right, it's you. He's the guy, like the DNA we've been looking for in those sixty open murder cases.
Speaker 4: Everything we like to believe about, you know, these CSI shows and they've got the hologram that recreates the victim's skull and all of that, like that technology stuff exists, but there's incentive that it's hard to get into it here. But local police do not want to believe they've got a serial killer like you would think they'd be eager to. It's like, oh my gosh, we've caught the Golden State strangler or whatever, like we're going to be famous, I'm going to get a book deal. That's not how it works. They are so reluctant to acknowlogy, and I think that there's bureaucratic reasons for it, like a bunch of open cases all fall in their lap and ou it's like their problem. And also, serial murders are almost impossible to solve because the vast majority of murders, it's somebody killing somebody. They know it's a guy killing his wife or his lover or something like that. If you have a killer who's just killing because of some obsession and they're killing strangers or sex workers, almost impossible to catch them. So they never want to admit or even believe that's what it is. But Jack, one of the things we covered on Cracked was at one point Jeffrey Dahmer, one of his victims, gaped a man who he had drilled a hole in his skull to lobottomize him with acid. He was walking naked down the street. The neighbors called and said, Hey, this guy is walking naked on the street. I think he came from this jeff dah Dahmer's apartment. I think they're gay. It's his gay lever. The cops picked up the naked man, took him back to Jeffrey Dahmer's apartment, noted that it smelled like rotten meat, and said, hey, this guy got out, here's your boyfriend back, and then chuckled because like, oh, they're gay. Who knows what weird gay? The guy was bleeding from his head and they walked out. And both those guys not only are still police officers, but they are they were later promoted and are very successful.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, especially when the victim is someone that is easy for the police and the mainstream media to other, like you know, sex workers in the case of the gilg Beach killings, or you know, in the case of the Dahmer thing, you know, someone who's gay, and they're like, oh, they just must be into weird, weird things. But it's yeah, it's pretty like they just don't want to do the work. It's like it's i mean, on the one hand, it's easy to identify with like that of just like, oh my god, I just got so much more work. But there's got to be a way to set up the incentive structure so that people aren't just like the police aren't hiding the fact that there's a serial killer happening, you know, right right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It feels like like cops sort of think that like people don't understand how anything works, so they're like, yeah, yeah, yeah, we're on the case.
Speaker 3: It's like we're ignoring leads.
Speaker 2: We don't know what the fuck's going on and are sort of and only now like as more and more people sort of observe and analyze how sort of these cases work, they're like, what the fuck are you guys doing? Like every every case is a fuck up. It feels like or you guys pressing it to be like the wrong you know, wrongfully convicting someone just you can be like, all right, wrap that one up. That's a successful caller, moving.
Speaker 3: On to keep the numbers up.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's it's wild because like what they got them They got this Gilgo Beach guy, because like they they got a pizza box and got the DNA off like the crust, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they eventually made it a priority. Yeah, after they got the there were multiple people like the chief of police for a long period during when the case was going unsolved and really like uninvestigated. It was like multiple people's part time job, but nobody was like a full there was no full time task force looking into it. Was this guy who started out as a fourteen year old who lied on behalf of like who was a witness to a crime that the police needed like a witness for, and so people think like he just would lie for the police, like starting at age fourteen, and he became this more powerful guy's kind of stooge. And then there's like this long period of the case where he's like using the police force to investigate like an ex girlfriend and like harass her exes and like her son, and then he like beats a witness for like touching a bag that he has that's full of porn, and then like is like spends it all this time, like engaging in a year long cover up while failing to follow up on like the obvious leads in this case, in this serial killer case, and there's like a serial killer stalking his community in his jurisdiction, and he's too busy like engaging in a cover So eventually those two get taken down and then like a single competent person is able to like come in and Basically, they find all of this evidence in boxes not digitized. They send it down to Quantico, it gets digitized, and they're like, oh, we just need to like find this green Chabby abblue that.
Speaker 2: This is the guy with the bush.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's this six or four guy with bushy hair who's like where the cell phone records were, like he worked. They knew the guy worked in midtown Manhattan and lived in this like small area on Long Island, and he fit that description. And so after following he was like an avid hunter. One of the things, like all the bodies were wrapped in this burlap that suggested that the person was a hunter. They like pulled hunting licenses and then like forgot to follow up on it. This guy was a hunter who had ninety seven registered guns, and yeah, they they just what Once they looked at the evidence, they were like, oh, it's the like, this is the fifth thing we have pointing to this guy who's like obviously the killer.
Speaker 3: And then they ran a DNA.
Speaker 2: All right, look at his search history. Let's see if it's really the guy. Oh he's googling Gilgo Beach serial killer a bunch and the victims. Yeah, like I saw that part to him like what the fuck? Yeah, hey, could be this guy could be this might be this actually.
Speaker 1: And then like all the killings happened when his wife would leave town that they like SYNCD up with his wife would like go on a vacation, and then the serial killing what happened?
Speaker 3: Would have thought crazy story.
Speaker 1: We'll link off to it in the footnotes. Let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back. We're back, Miles, your alma mater is doing the lord's work and asking twins.
Speaker 2: Asking teens, what are your what are you horny?
Speaker 4: For?
Speaker 2: Y'all young adults, this cohort age cohort from ten to twenty four what are y'all into? And the results are not too surprising, giving what we know about loneliness and the lack of originality in Hollywood. Nearly half of these respondents like this is the annual Teens and Screens Report from UCLA. Yeah, thank you so much, Jocko Bruns. Nearly half of the respondents said that sex and romance are too prominent in the media they're consuming. Over half said they want to see shows and movies that are centered around friendships and platonic relationships. They are definitely they're not interested in shows where they feel the messages like you need to be in a relationship to be happy, or predictable plots like the man and the woman get together at the end, And they damn sure are not into love triangles. They feel like that shit is so tired. And I'd imagine presumably that's from watching a fuck ton of Twilight and Hunger Games and being like, okay, bro, like we get it, Like there's fucking these love triangles power everything. And another really interesting thing was, like last year's report, I remember we talked about this they wanted to see, and this was this again what I think was sort of translated to when people said they want to see lives unlike my own, like shows like in that category, they're like, oh, more diversity, Like they want to see diverse stories, which is true. But now this year they're also saying, we want shows that are showing me lives like my own, or movies like my own that show lives like my own, where it's not the sort of like sensationalized hyper romance shit. There's this one psychologist at UCLA who's working on it, who's just saying that the results are part of quote. There's been a wide ranging discourse among teens about the meaning of community. In the aftermath of COVID nineteen and the isolation that came with it, teens are looking to media as a third place where they can connect and have a sense of belonging, and with frightening headlines about climate change, pandemics, and global destabilization, it makes sense they're gravitating towards what's most familiar in those spaces. So the message, like overall too is they're saying, knock off the romantic bs, show us real life and they're fucking done with remakes and reboots, like originality please.
Speaker 4: The.
Speaker 1: Like not wanting the romance is just so different from what I grew up with, like the media I grew up with. If a male character and a female character, like, you know, if two characters were friends, people were like, why are they just friends?
Speaker 3: Like why?
Speaker 1: It became a will they won't they? You know, like why am I not watching them make out with each other?
Speaker 3: If they are.
Speaker 1: A man and a woman, And there was usually an answer, you know that The answer was usually like because they're building sexual tension or because Ralph Maccio is forty five years old in Karate Kid three, and the love interest is like sixteen, and he was like, this is weird, but yeah, I don't know. It's it's interesting that like this feels like a huge shift in how people kind of think about the stories that they consume.
Speaker 4: Do you take anyone under the age of say forty, and have them watch any selection of eighties action movies or comedies, they are stunned. Stunned by the amount of casual nudity in those movies. Like they used to find any excuse for the women to pop their boobs out, any excuse. This was the trend well into the nineties. But the movies I grew up with, like it was a whole thing. It wasn't like these are specifically sex movies or horny movies. It's just a comedy, any teen comedy. Especially thing said in high school college you were going to see thirty to forty pairs of boobs in the course of the movie. Movies are so chased now, like the Mission Impossible movies, you know, but one of the biggest action franchises right now, like Tom Cruise doesn't hang dong in that he doesn't whip out his dick at any point that equivalent franchise. I feel like you would have seen if it was Stallone, like Stallone gets naked in Demolition Man. Hell yeah, finds an excuse. They had their the cut of the movie with his with his penis in it, just straight up his his dick in the movie. And so it's weird.
Speaker 1: And there's a whole scene where he like immediately has to figure out how to fuck like his partner, like his professional partner. They're like, well, and now we have sex with each other. Obviously the movie hints is his daughter in the opening scenes, because the whole thing is he goes to the futures like, I, where's my daughter and to try out. They cut that scene from the movie because so because then the the director's cut whatever, he meets his daughter in that underground community. So everybody thought, oh, Sandra Bullock is his daughter. That's gonna be the twist. That's why she's so in the eighties and shares his personality.
Speaker 4: And then they it's like, oh, they're gonna start start boning and he and anyway, the boint being it is very weird to see how clean movies are now, But of course it's in We did not have pornography in the eighties. You couldn't get it, Like you would have to go to the counter at like a game station and buy it, and they wouldn't sell it to you, so you had to have an older relative who had a stash they would show you. Otherwise this was your only chance to see anything like that. Where now porn is so ubiquitous that it's hard to avoid, Like it's hard to avoid on a platform like TikTok or Instagram accounts that are just they're there to feed you into an OnlyFans account like they're sex workers, which is fine, but it's hard to avoid, Like if you don't want that on your Instagram, it's hard to get rid of it. Yeah, so I can see now it's fascinating to actually hear teenagers, which are you know, allegedly the horniest of the population, say no, I want movies that are about some other kind of relationship. I don't want everything to be about sex or about will these two people have sex? When Yeah, it used to be in an action movie, like the guy had to get the girl at the.
Speaker 2: End, right, and it's like when the same way, it's like, oh man, it's like I don't have access to porn, so I watch these movies. It's like I'm to feel alone and isolated. So that's like the new commodity. So can the things I consume contain that thing that I'm yearning for, which is like like a some kind of like sincere portrayal of friendship rather than yeah we used to have friendship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, you just had like you you were constantly interacting with people and you know, maybe more more than you would like in my case as an introvert, but like you know, you constantly Like that wasn't the commodity. The porn was, right, you had to go to the woods to find the porn exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was some yeah, some zip lock bag with a couple magazines, so it'd be okay in the rain.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was by the way.
Speaker 1: The thing that the one of the reasons that the police chief beat up somebody was they like opened up his party bag in the Gilgo Beach killing, which was just a bag full of porn. You just had a bag full of porn, and you like beat the ship out of somebody for opening it. And then that was like kicked off his whole cover up. But yeah, I mean my one of my favorite movies as a kid, die Hard, has a moment where like Bruce Willis, like it has multiple like people just like getting pulled, Like when the terrorists come, they get like pulled out of an office and they're like a woman is topless and they're like in the middle of having sex and then like wow, they were like that's not enough nudity. When Bruce Willis is running away and like hiding from the terrorists, he's going to see a naked woman. I think it's like a magazine pin up and like like out loud actively decide not to jack off during this terrorist situation.
Speaker 2: He's like, nah, ladies, ah, I can't do it.
Speaker 3: Do it right now? Not right now?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, it was just such a such a thing. Everyone was so horny. It was just like popping through the surface.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think there's also too right, Like we were talking about this I think yesterday about just how younger people are more informed now and they're much savvier, so they they sense bullshit a lot quicker than like I would as like a thirteen year old and things like that, So like authenticity is like the real thing that they're like looking for because it feels like everything around them is just some weird, fake vapor wave vaporware version of like real life and like so then they talk about too like for them. And I know, Jason, you talked about this. Maybe one of the last times you came on was just how everyone's on TikTok and now all those kids that are on there, like this is actually the most authentic media platform for us, because I'd rather just see someone work their shift at McDonald's or something and share that versus some like hyper overly produced like big budget YouTube video or something like that. But yeah, it's uh, I think I think it's a good trend and I hope that, you know, we'll see if Hollywood gets that message where they're like they don't like things based on comic books or video games that their parents liked. Hmm, okay, maybe we'll make something original now, but we'll see, we'll see TBD.
Speaker 4: We do think that it's interesting that part of the fantasy is watching friends, Like the whole idea of if you've lost a lot of real life friendships, now that is a fantasy to engage in. It is like what if somebody had a gang of friends and that they they find that as a form of pornography because it's like, this is something I can watch and imagine myself, what if I had all of those friends. You know, I'll watch Stranger Things, a show about loaners and losers. But this group of loaners and losers have eleven friends, right, they could. They could form an entire football team if they wanted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's funny.
Speaker 2: Stranger Things was listed as one of like their like top series for this group of people because again they despite the romantic tension that exists here and there, they're like, yeah, we like that. That end the Summer I Turned Pretty was another one that got high marks from them.
Speaker 1: Is that not a I would have assumed that that was like a romantic bit, like a show about romances, but it's just a show about friendships basically.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's funny because it is about a love drunk. Oh okay, it's I think because it's more talking about like I think for younger audiences, they just like that it's like this high school thing that sort of feels like a crush triangle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I also think that the content that has been very popular for a while has already been reflecting this. I think part of Nolan's popularity is that he is an incredibly sexless director.
Speaker 3: I've talked about that.
Speaker 1: Before, like that Oppenheimer was like his attempt to like make a sexy movie, but like all those sex scenes were like very weird and felt alien and yeah.
Speaker 2: Like just just someone who has been intimate with another person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like it'sn't comfortable with it. And like I think that's also true of the superhero movie these that were like incredibly dominant for a long time, like the the Avengers movie, like the the one love like relationship with like Black Widow. Was it Black Widow and Hulk had a relationship at some point in there was.
Speaker 2: I famously have not seen those movies. Maybe some Victor Victor came in with the producer Victor. Yep, it was them, Like they they had a graphic sex scene.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, you're right, that is that's just the fan art that I yeah ordered, it's the AI stuff you've been making.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: No, but that that part also like jumped out to me.
Speaker 1: It's like, God, this feels really weird and like forced, So like I feel I feel like the art has also like been reflecting this for a while and people are just you know, we're just now like catching up to it. That like people want content that doesn't have sex in it or like doesn't have this like sexual or just.
Speaker 2: The message that that's the most important thing or that's how people connect is like that they have to have sex. So now the characters can like open up to each other or something, you know, like versus Yeah, sometimes you can just like be friends with people, because I feel for sure, like you know, like there's like so many men have like an inability to have like platonic relationships a lot of time with women. I think a lot of that can be reinforced from like a lifetime or your adolescence, like watching content that's like yeah, the man and the woman have to get together. Yeah, and that's those are the only options your failure otherwise, right, Right.
Speaker 4: She's taking advantage of you if if she doesn't give you sex, and if you are merely friends and you you are, you're a dope.
Speaker 2: You're right. And we're seeing that like pasticized into these other sort of like you know, movements or subcultures where it's sort of built on this like expectation, like, but this is what I've been sold for my whole life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm like looking at seventies movies and eighties movies now, like I find it a little weird how casually everyone was having sex with one another and that that was just like a way like it was like, come on, man, why are you so uptight? And like everybody I don't know, like and I guess I kind of always did, but I was just assuming that was like what it was like to be an adult. But I yeah, I do think it's interesting that like from that era of like the seventies, we've gotten like less and less what some people would call progressive. But like, I don't know, I feel like this is a long continuum that's been happening and it's not just that like porn's everywhere now. I think also things were like a little weird and like during the seventies, like some of the I feel like the male gaze was just like so dominant that it like kind of got a little bit out of hand.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, and again, like I think it's it's just how the growth or the difference is generationally. Again, these younger kids, they know more sooner and they know a lot more. And you look at eighties movies and stuff, it's like consent isn't even a concept that exists in those It's more like, Yo, that guy snuck in on those ladies changing and got to see boobs. He's fucking cool and you're like, what the fuck is that? What's that saying? Or like you see because sometimes I've seen on TikTok where like younger people are like looking at these movies, like what the fuck was wrong with you guys, like what is this scene? And you're like, you're right, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Did you watch me changing?
Speaker 1: Cameron?
Speaker 2: That's okay, all right?
Speaker 1: Moving along. Feris Feelers.
Speaker 4: It's like if the events of Revenge of the Nerds actually occurred, it would be an international news story. That would be they would be talking about her from the floor of Congress.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just watched one of the movies in that new Beverly Quentin Tarantino movie theater double feature, was this like Clint Eastwood like police drama serial killer thing, but like he is. He spends the movie investigating like this serial killer who keeps killing sex workers in New Orleans, but like also having sex with the sex workers, and it's clear that like the serial killer is targeting the ones that he has sex with, and he just like doesn't stop, and there's not not really like consequences for it. It's just like, yeah, well that's what a man does, right.
Speaker 2: He's like, but I killed the other guy though, right, and it's like, oh, okay, yeah, great, lesson.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Jason Pargin, what a pleasure having you on the show. As always, Where can people find you? Follow you?
Speaker 3: All that good stuff.
Speaker 4: So the book that is coming out in a few days is called Zoe is Too Drunk for This Dystopia. It is the third book in the Zoe Ash series. The first one is called Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits. The second is called Zoe Punches to Future and The Dick. Those first two are up on Kindle Unlimited for free if you've got that otherwise, you could probably find very inexpensive copies of it somewhere. I can. I am on TikTok at Jason K. Pargin. I have three hundred and thirty thousand followers on there now wow, that same username. I'm on most other platforms. If you're not on TikTok I'm not saying you should or shouldn't be. That's just where that's where the people are it. It appears just where the action is.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 1: And is there a work of media or a tweet that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got this tweet here where a guy has said this New Jersey rest stop has a virtual bon Jovi we live in an era of wonders and miracles. And it has a video clip of they have a full body screen slash hologram of a John bon Jovi you can interact with as the ambassador of the state of New Jersey. I guess and yeah, this is what technology has given us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he the it's a virtual John bon Jovi in the sense of like how he's like standing awkwardly and like smiles at you and then like unfolds his arms and kind of gives you a head nod, but like doesn't really know what to do with his hand. Like it's it's exactly what Joan bon Jovi would be doing if he was in a box there and they were like, just hang out Joan bon Jovi, don't it's such a weird Yeah, They're just like this is we have John bon Jovi in a box life size and this this is what it's like.
Speaker 3: How you doing bro exactly? Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: That is you're taking a pooh you're doing at number one or number two?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Man, all right, take care.
Speaker 4: Welcome New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Garden stateum.
Speaker 1: Man, Miles, where can people find you?
Speaker 2: What's working media? You've been enjoying at Miles of Gray wherever they got the at symbols. Find us on the Basketball podcast Miles and Jackot mad Boosti's the NBA season kicked off. The Lakers are right back where they ended the last season, losing to the Nuggets. It was sight to see uh. And also find me on four to twenty Day Fiance where I talk about ninety day Fiance and the Good Thief, which is true crime but without killing, talking about the Greek robin hood who is robbing the rich and giving it away. A tweet I like is from at Ryo a Wryote maybe it's Ryote and it's a graphic. It says like, I don't know if you've heard this story about the javelinas that are like these pig like animals that have been like fucking up golf courses in Arizona and people are like, why are they doing this? It's like cause you shouldn't have a fucking golf course in the desert, asshole, And they're looking for water. And the tweet has like a nice info or like a graphic, like a cartoon of the these animals like biting, like breaking in half golf clubs, and it says no place for golf in the desert. Yeah, I as an Angelino, I very strongly believe that fu fuck these golf courses or make them parks for people to fucking enjoy. Yes, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, and I'm just getting word in the chat from super producer Catherine that I am completely fucking up. The pronunci as is actually Hobblelina.
Speaker 3: Mister Hobblelina, mister bob Hobblelina.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes tweets, I've been enjoying. No Garfin Goal tweeted pretty wild that the Greeks pioneered drama and went straight to guy killed his dad and slept with his mom, completely skipping past dog can play sports and goofy neighbor and Eden Dranger tweeted, don't don't mean to get political. The big shout out to farts that sound like questions. Oh yeah, those are those are always a good time. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist. Where at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram, we have a Facebook fan page and a website, Daily Zeitgeist dot com.
Speaker 2: But we post our episodes.
Speaker 1: And our footnotes where we link off the information that we talked about today's episode as well as a.
Speaker 3: Song, and we think you might enjoy something.
Speaker 2: Do we think people might just mean like new jazz music from Kareem Riggins, who's a like one of my favorite part users and drummers. You know, he's like worked with people like Jay Dilla, you know, like he's kind of in that realm and he's drumming is fantastic. This track is called twelves in eight, a little reference I believe for the time signature of the song. But yeah, it's great drumming, great melodies and easy, easy listening, no lyrics. Just put it on and enjoy Kareem Riggans twelves in eight.
Speaker 1: All right, We will link off to that in the footnotes.
Speaker 2: The dailyes he Guys is a production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 3: That is gonna do.
Speaker 1: It for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we will.
Speaker 2: Talk to you all then.
Speaker 3: Bye bye,