Speaker 1: But all right, job.
Speaker 2: All across the USC Compton, Watts Bay to LA. Come on to California day from Owy the Valley. We represent that Keller County. So if you're keeping it real on your side of your town, you tune into Gainst the Chronicles the Coronic Goals.
Speaker 1: We gonna tell you how are we goals?
Speaker 3: If I lie my notes will girl like Pinocchio. We're gonna tell you the truth and nothing but the truth. Gangs the Chronic Goals.
Speaker 1: This is not your average shows.
Speaker 2: You're now tuned into the rail mc ain't, Big Change and Big Steals the streets.
Speaker 3: Hello, Welcome to the Gangst the Chronicles podcast, the production of iHeartRadio and Black Effect podcast Network. Make sure you download the iHeart app and subscribe to Against the Chronicles. For my Apple users, hit the Purple Michael on your front screen. Subscribed to Against the Chronicles, leave a start rating the comment. We like to welcome every one to another episode Against the Chronicles podcast. I with my guy. Yeah, and you know we got our guy Sowmre and Baker, you know journalists exporting there.
Speaker 1: I'm back. I'm here, hip hop expert. Thanks for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: What would they call that in the university now, man, you I don't know hipologists, hip hopologists.
Speaker 1: I don't know what. I have to figure that out.
Speaker 3: We had to figure that out because hip hop is fifty years old, and staying in tune with that, we are going start wrapping up this Top fifty Gangster Rap Albums of All Time. I got a few emails last week. I got an email from a couple of guys over in Italy, a couple of people from Spain, couple people from Germany. It's amazing how people overseas just so much more in the hip hop, just so much more in the culture than they are here in the States. Because they was really into it. They were saying, could we get a more finalized list because we know you guys have been talking about and I said, you know, we do have another list coming. We just have over these conversations right now. So staying in tune with what I promise to people in those emails, were gonna start getting busy with the bigger reveal coming next week for the actual top fifty, the final Top fifty, because everything you've heard thus far has just been our thoughts, right, so we get that going and you know, we was having the debate earlier, and y'all be killing me, man, because y'all say a lot of my favorite songs ain't gainst the rapper. Like, I can't believe y'all don't think Rick Ross is against the rapper. I can't believe y'all don't think Biggie is against the rapper. Y'all killing me.
Speaker 1: But they're not. Though.
Speaker 3: Still Biggie small as he was against the rapper. Nah, what ain't gangster bottom? What is he? Then? I know y'all can say he a hustler rapper. To me, Biggie is kind of like the precursor to Rick Ross. I can see a lot of Rick Ross and Biggie, you know from the style the big Man Flepper. Ross don't lost a gang of.
Speaker 1: Weight, now, yeah, I mean I could see it, but.
Speaker 3: It sounded like Ross definitely got his own ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I just think that Biggie was different in the sense of his uh, his storytelling and stuff. I think is different because Ross, while similar in some ways, Yeah, I just I don't see it.
Speaker 3: No, they don't sound like I'm just talking about as far as aesthetics, you know, from the dress and everything, Big even wear the coogie sweaters and the ship. He was the first big dude to kind of get fresh.
Speaker 1: The Fat Boys too, Let's not people always forget the Fat Boys.
Speaker 3: Fat Boys actually had some jam and as beats too. They had ship that.
Speaker 1: Not Shout and Prince market d and Buffett. People sleep on the Fat Boys, man, but they're very important.
Speaker 3: You can't very important hip hops with Some of hip hop's first superstars had mega movies, had endorsement deals at the time. Wouldn't happen Remember when you had endorsement deals back in the day. People with dish. Yeah, Chris Marky d used to produce some good records.
Speaker 1: Yes, he did a lot of R and B.
Speaker 4: The little album he did after you Know, down the Road that motherfucker was banging. I used to bang that ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They I remember too when they had that movie Disorderlies, and I talked to Kourokski about this in particular, but I just remember that was one of those early moments where my dad actually liked something that was wrapped that was a little outside the normal realm.
Speaker 3: And I just remember that that was that was on some ay commercials. Yeah exactly, that was opening the door to that. You know that uh, that other side of hip.
Speaker 1: Hop fi side of the business.
Speaker 3: Motherfuckers, dude.
Speaker 4: You know, that's that's when other people come in, get to making taco bell commercials and ship like that. People, you know, people kind of oh, I like that. You know, he made a rap about tacos and.
Speaker 3: Ship you know, So that's how that aspect came.
Speaker 1: And they had to wipe out song they had.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they was doing They was doing that uh that tone Loak route, you know, that wild.
Speaker 1: Thing Route Machine Jail.
Speaker 4: Let's try to rework you know, because uh, hip hop was you know, trying to find you know, that identity as far as they was concerned, coming from the early stages, and then you know.
Speaker 3: To me, that was the hottest project was their first project. Well you can tell when they got with the major label, they start trying to turn them into a novelty. That kind of they was trying to rise off the popularity because at the time they didn't even know if hip hop was gonna still be around. So it's one of the things like let's make as much money as we can.
Speaker 4: It's like one of those one of those yeah, those that that beginning thing, you know, let's let's let's snatch and grab that ship, you know, because they didn't know, like you said. Then when Crush Groove and the success of of the jail House Rap and All you Can Eat and All in the Stick Them and all that shit, you know, like you said, they got picked up by a major, and then the majors was like, we don't know what the fuck to do with this type of music, So basically, let's do like some more parody bullshit, you know, Let's have them, let's have them rapping to wipe out, and let's have them wrapping the sex machine and let's just work to.
Speaker 3: A certain degree because they sold a gang of records.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but to me, they started losing their credibility of real hip hop and shit because you know, a motherfucker like me who loved jailhouse raping, can you feel it? And shit like that around and now you want me to bust. Now you want me to bang wipe out like really like nigga, I'm on the block and content I can't bang white out purists.
Speaker 3: I could picture a record company coming to him now with beats from Timberland and all these people. We want you to rap on this and with his shiny suit.
Speaker 4: I had to go through that ship. When I left Sony and I went over the Big Beat Atlantic, and they no longer wanted to funk with our type of music. So yeah, they started, uh getting me to listen to beats, you know, timbling with make era, you know all that. You know that that era that came with you know, Uh, I call it that Jahru era, that that era around me there, I had an N O t R deal. I had a production deal with Big Beat Atlantic through Craig Cowman, and you know, I'd signed a deal before I went over left Epic, and so after my last record, I went over there. You know, I thought I had a nine album production deal and uh we produced a record on N O t R.
Speaker 3: And it got shelved because.
Speaker 4: They basically know they were going through that cop killer death row transition, trying to distance themselves from niggas like us. So it was like, Okay, damn, we just signed this deal with this dude. And the crazy shit about it was before I had turned in my last record with Sony, they tried to offer me a.
Speaker 3: New deal Sony and I had already signed the deal with Big Beat. So when my last record.
Speaker 4: I was supposed to go over there, but Sony came back to me and said, well, fuck it, let's do three more records. So I hadn't taken a dime from Big Beat Atlantic. I hadn't taken a dimond.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I think I did a publishing deal with them, and I took some money from a publishing deal for my previous works, but I hadn't took a dime for any of the projects yet. And I went back over there, and I was like, fuck it, I'm gonna go back to Sony because they had like they had like almost two meal on the table for me to resign. And uh So I went back to Big beating him and I was like, well, you know, Sony done offered me some bread, and since I haven't even walked in the door over here, let's just tear the deal up and I'm gonna stay over here. The motherfucker said, no, give me half a million and I'll let you go.
Speaker 3: Wow. Who was that, Craig Cam. Craig Cam and gotta be one of the most files niggas in mute.
Speaker 4: He said, they said, give me a half a million and we'll let you out the deal. And I said I ain't even started the deal yet.
Speaker 3: Like, I can see if you had got some money from me.
Speaker 4: I hadn't took yet, so and then so they wouldn't let me out the deal. So I had to renig on the Sony deal, pass up on the two meal So but I'm like, fuck it. I got a nine album production deal over there, so fuck it. As soon as I get over there, they was like, pump your breaks. We don't know what we want to do.
Speaker 3: Wow, are you serious? Yeah, that's what they said.
Speaker 4: Pump your breaks, we don't know what we want to do. I said, oh, I don't give fuck. I gotta sign contract. So where's my production deal money? They was like, hold up, we don't know what direction. So they go, okay, well, because you know how me and Slip was producing all my shit, you know. But they come back and they go, well, we're taking a different direction blah blah blah. So basically, anything I turned the in from my camp they didn't want it. So then they started going, well, we want to send you a beat from this dude. We want send you a beat from this dude. We want to send you a beat from this dude. And it was all that transition shit and no, we don't want you to talk about this.
Speaker 3: They all happened to be signed to Craig Caumera. I don't know where they was from. You know, you know what he started doing after a while, you know where he made a lot of money from. He had went and got Feen, you know, Fin there was no limit, and he took him down. They had him writing for a bunch of people and was pretty much using Fiend as a and R. So Fien went out and found a whole lot of people, like a whole lot of people actually blew up in the South got signed by Fien. And what was crazy was Fien was telling me that pretty much Craig Camera and that sold all his publishing and cashed out like and got millions of dollars, something like eighty five million dollars. And he had to find out about it from reading one of the journals. And the trade magazines didn't tell him nothing, didn't give him a dime, didn't send him a million and say good looking out for helping me build this and nothing, so I could believe that he probably wanted to get in on your production and all that shit too.
Speaker 4: I don't know what but now they was just the They basically was like, we don't want none of that. We don't want none of that old he ate c M dub Ship. Well, I had to threaten to take him to court and sue him because they didn't want to give me the budget. And they told me that I was free to go seek another deal if I wanted.
Speaker 3: You could have went them together two millions.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but tearing up Ship, well, you know, we went back in for for a minute and then uh, you know, shit started getting ugly and whatever. So we settled and they paid me something and I went away.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And then that's when you wouldn't did a thing with Matt. Yeah, that ain't no telling what kind of records we had to get off that motherfucker. Sony already knew what to do with you. They already had you.
Speaker 4: Sony really didn't know shit to do with me. That was the problem all my time with Won't. That was the reason for me exactly, And I don't know how to fuck I'm oh, that's how I met Craig because of my niggas from DFC, my nigga, my Breed's cousin, Breed's cousins. They got a deal through Craig and they hollered at us to do some some work. They project me and Slip did Caps Get Peeled? And I think Slip mixed half Day album?
Speaker 3: Y'all did that? Yeah? Well Caps, Yeah, Caps get pilled? Yeah, that was me and Slip. I didn't know that. That's hard. I told y'all, Produce is a cold motherfucker behind on Courtland. So that's how we hooked up with Craig.
Speaker 4: And then from that, you know, just the successive minutes to Society and Me and Slip, you know, doing we Come Strapped and all that. He offered me a production deal. So I was gonna do Niggas on the Run in OTR. I was gonna do the homies, little Hawking Bird, and then I was gonna do me.
Speaker 3: I was always wondering who there was because she was promoting the hill out of them when he'd be on that chair, a little Hawk and Bird, neighborhood Niggas on the Run. I was looking forward to that ship.
Speaker 1: I was too.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, we worked on the n OTR album, our album. We did the whole album, mixed it, everything, turned it in and it never came out.
Speaker 3: It got shelved and so after that, I just knew ship was finna go.
Speaker 1: You know, it's the music business.
Speaker 3: You know what, let me take that bet. I can't say, Craig camera and this file.
Speaker 4: Businesses, you know do business business. It's shrewd business, and I think it's fucked up, but it's freud business. Like when you in that when you're in that position to where you're kind of like sitting at the head of the table. I mean, you know, he he got a big position with with his with Big Beat, and then you know, because once we came over there, he was like running Atlantic or one of the big dudes over there. He wasn't even on no Big Beat shit, that was his label. But when I when I hooked up with Craig, he was Atlantic like he was Atlantic. Nigga took us, he took everybody. He took us all the dinner and bought us Christmas gifts.
Speaker 3: Nigga.
Speaker 4: When we signed the deal, we got a fancy dinner.
Speaker 3: Nigga.
Speaker 4: He bought Christmas gifts for all the crew. Everything that Nigga was like, he was cool, but like I said, shrewd business.
Speaker 3: What can you do?
Speaker 4: And and a Nigga ship nigga gave me by what two two and a quarter on a fucking publishing deal.
Speaker 3: Like I was, like, fuck it. He was pretty cool.
Speaker 4: But like I said, when it comes to business, and like I said, the transition of hip hop at the.
Speaker 3: Time, it was going through a rough. It was going through a rough. You had this ship with Ice Teeth, You had the cop killer shit, you.
Speaker 4: Know, the Reverends and Dolores Tuckers was out there. Ye I'm niggas is mentioning us on political campaigns and shit, and I had a double sticker on my album and shit because of shit like that, Nigga.
Speaker 3: That album wasn't even that bad. That's the crazy part about it.
Speaker 4: We come strap out a double sticker because the labels were getting a lot of they were getting a lot of motherfucking hard hit from just activists and community motherfuckers about Like, man, these niggas is with the bitch and the whole shit, and niggas were with the drive bys and with the police shit and all that. They didn't like it. So we got a hard time. As far as when West Coast rap got real popular, you know what I'm saying. East Coast was the forefront if you want to say, but a lot of them, you know, Chuck D looking public enemy, you know, devil this and fuck this and fuck that. They didn't have it hardest niggas over here, as far as y'all nigga said, fuck the police, and y'all nigga said, y'all getting jacked in his drive by shooting. What year was this, man? This was like shit between like the mid nineties, like ninety three, ninety four, ninety five.
Speaker 3: You know what happened during that time. If you remember the Ghetto Boys first major album, when they went and kind of redid the previous.
Speaker 1: One that's in my top ten, Yeah, we can't be stopped called No No No Call. On the other level, No, it's the Ghetto Boys album. It's the one with the mug shots.
Speaker 3: When they got with when they got with American, they got with Rick Rubina America pretty much when I was in Death America. Not that he tried America with the spin on it. Yeah, but what they did was they had kind of redd the earlier. It was kind of like like it though.
Speaker 1: Grip It on that other level was basically remade into the Boys.
Speaker 4: And I didn't like the Ghetto Boys I liked it gripping on that other level. It was raw, it was raunchy, it was real. I didn't like the way they polished it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. And then the distributor, I think Giffen, refused to distribute the record. So you was going through a whole lot of ship at that time.
Speaker 1: Well, I have all that in my book, The History against the Rap if you haven't. But the thing is, it was the that one was back when they used to manufacture CDs. The company in Indiana that manufactured their CDs refused to press the CD because they didn't approve of the content. So it's wild that we think about now all the wild stuff that we see on TV and in these songs and stuff that back then people actually refused to make an album, which then got Rick Rube to lose his deal and all this other stuff.
Speaker 3: Definitely, it was big.
Speaker 1: It was a big deal, and I think now we went.
Speaker 4: Through a lot of of of we went through a lot of backlash trying to it was problem establish our identity and hip hop because you know, uh we you like I said, we had the forefront of hip hop, came out of East Coast, you know, and like I was just talking about you know, we had the Fat Boys, and we had run DMC and Curtis Blow and you know, Utfo and Houdini and a lot of you know, the audio tools with a little MC light and then you had you know the little tifuzz that come out of there and all that type of you know, so it was trying to it was hard to establish our identity as far as West Coast, and then when we did, we caught a lot of backlash four our identity of you know, who we were.
Speaker 3: It was just so different at the time. Man, I think a lot of people were scared.
Speaker 1: I think that's a big part of it. Everybody was scared. It wasn't just the music industry one white people. I think it was everybody was like, Yo, what is this and why is everybody love it so much? And I think that that scared a lot.
Speaker 3: And why do you think that is? Though?
Speaker 4: Why do you think do you think it was just a fascination of listening to this new form of music, you know, as far as hip hop is concerned, because you know, motherfuckers was listening to hip hop.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think it's to me what I noticed and what I saw and actually on Ice Tea's home invasion in cubes lethal injection. It was the fact of to me, it was the white kids listening to this reality that people weren't getting exposed to before. That's going to change their minds, Like, wait a minute, what we've been taught in school is wrong. What we know to be true is not true because look at this other reality that is reality. I agree with you, because that's crazy.
Speaker 3: You know. Obviously you're white, right, and you come from a different environment than me and eight right, you know, but you're very much into the culture right, have been since the beginning. And I think that when people see what they see in the mirror, sometimes they don't like what They still don't like the reflection, you know. And I think, once, because the people that blew this shit up, let's keep it real. It wasn't neighborhoods that blew it up. It was the It's like you would cross the country in the suburbs. It started getting like, hey, is this really going on over there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the thing I just remember when I was first hearing PSK or six in the Morning or Boys in the Hood, it matched what I was seeing on TV or reading the newspaper or when I would go on to Baltimore or DC what I would see, But it was being told by the people that were living in which I had never seen, ever heard other than you know, if I knew people or my friends knew people or relatives, my friends or whatever that were in Baltimore, in DC in the hoods, then I knew it. But I had never heard it told from Philadelphia, from New York, from LA from Compton. Like that made it so different than it added a real element to it. And I think that's what shocked everybody that not only are these dudes making this amazing music, but they're incredibly intelligent. They can articulate their views and they're really telling what's going on in a way that we had never heard before.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess what that being said. I guess we'd let you kick it off soon. I guess we're doing fifteenth to one.
Speaker 1: Well I did mine, so we just doing the top ten because I did up to number eleven last time. So y'all got to do fourteen or still, especially you got to do fourteen to eleven. Fourteen to eleven, yeah, or fifteen or eleven excuse.
Speaker 3: Me, fifteen to eleven. Man, Damn, I've been kind of struggling with that. Man, I've been really struggling with it because there every time I think I have a list compiled, I start thinking, I go back to listening to stuff and I say, no, I can't put that that low, and I gotta put it here because you know what, to me, I take this serious. Man. You know it's some dope ass art out there. Man, Yeah, you know it's a dope ass art even kind of coming to the final five. Man, it's like, Damn, I really put that down there. I really put that. You know. It's tough because there was and I would say between nineteen ninety one and probably nineteen ninety nine, there was so much incredible music, man, man, like really incredible music. And the thing that was dope about back then is nobody sounded like You would get slaughter for coming out sounding like somebody else, Like. It wasn't nobody else to sound like MCA. It wasn't nobody else to sounded like Snoop. It wasn't nobody else to sound like Easy. You feel what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, Well, I think they did. They just were so less popular because people looked at them and it's biting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you couldn't bite, no biting.
Speaker 1: I were people that were out that sounded alike, but they didn't like the.
Speaker 3: Second Motherfuckers because didn't nobody want to hear cheap imitation. It's like this.
Speaker 1: They were there, though.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't go said they was there. They were there imitation. You probably got some dope ass, you know, imitation Jordan's somewhere, but I wouldn't know about them. I'm not even wearing a motherfuckers no.
Speaker 1: Because remember, even though I never agreed with this, there were people that said that EPMD was sounded like rock him. You gotta remember that that was a thing, and they both each rapped about it on their albums. So it was a thing.
Speaker 3: And you don't get how they think Eric Sermon sounded anything like rock Kim.
Speaker 1: I think it was more PMDD, but they definitely sound around talking this.
Speaker 3: And said I sounded like Rockym.
Speaker 4: That's why you didn't want to fuck with me on Ruthless because I sounded too much like rockim.
Speaker 1: Remember on so what you're saying, Remember on so what you're saying, people around town talking this and that, how we sound like the r at Our music was.
Speaker 3: A whack dropped the album.
Speaker 1: Thought it was thirty days later people and gold to what you're saying, So there was always that element to it. But they no one I've been never heard anyone, nor are they. But nobody looked at EPMD whack. But I also never looked at them as rock Kim even though some people did, because I never did.
Speaker 3: But they never got that resemblance of sounding like rock.
Speaker 1: Because when I heard so what you're saying and Parish was saying that, I was like, Who's who's comparing them to rockym Like I'd never heard that until they said it. But then I asked people around, and then when I would meet people in New York later, They're like, oh yeah, a lot of people thought that because I guess it's because they had a slow flow and they were laid back, and they weren't.
Speaker 4: I can see them trying to say, you know PMD because you know he has that slow flow to a withdrawal of his speech.
Speaker 1: So but never, I never never would have thought it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not in a million years. And I was fans of both. You know, I grew up on Rocky M and EPM.
Speaker 3: D me too, So.
Speaker 1: I would have never thought that nah never, but you.
Speaker 4: A lot of that just comes from somebody being the first yep. And whether it be friends or homies or just fans. Anytime somebody comes out new trailing, it's always you gonna get that. Oh man, you're trying to be so and so. You're trying to be so and so until you make your significant point or you or you make your presence known that nah, nigga, this is me, you know, but a lot of people would would get that. Or who y'all trying to be exactly the same ship with us, y'all trying to be in w A which y'all see them w You know, you get that until you have to.
Speaker 1: Make There was a rap group America's Most Wanted. There was a rap group Detroit's most Wanted. There was all kinds of.
Speaker 3: The most wanted. Have to see him Dub get in line, sucker, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: They were always there. It was just that they were.
Speaker 4: It lied sucker, not some y'all was original though Nigga was original.
Speaker 3: Nigga see him Dub Nigga Compton, don't play.
Speaker 1: Man. It's crazy, But yeah, they always had somebody come and sounded like somebody else, that's for sure, man. And the best example, the most egregious example is effects. So many people bit them in one of.
Speaker 4: The everybody a lot of a lot of motherfuckers wanted to everywhere chicky, chickeny and everything and.
Speaker 3: Then fuck that ship, dude.
Speaker 1: Effects were the most bit ever because career a little bit. Everybody biting them hurt them.
Speaker 4: They style was some motherfucking just ridiculous. I loves effects.
Speaker 3: It was original. I was, like you.
Speaker 4: Said, because because of the fascination with their style. Nigga, you heard a gang of niggas chickeny, chickeny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this ship diniz.
Speaker 4: All that a gag and niggas bit by niggas from the y'all got effects. Nigga, we got that ship too.
Speaker 3: Nigg Chiggity chickeny nigga boy, striggy striggity nigga. Man.
Speaker 1: I just remember that was that was one of the main tapes that my boys loved in Maryland. That's effects, man, dead serious effects was their beats on there.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, they kind of flipped the game, right, I mean when they come from New.
Speaker 1: York, well once from New York. Uh dre's from Jersey.
Speaker 3: And some hard ship. Man. They beats was just like damn man, Yeah, each niggas doing day damn yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: And their other albums are great too, they're just very different.
Speaker 3: That first album just it was just out.
Speaker 4: But you know, sometime when motherfuckers come out in that first project, man, it's just how it's like, you can't you can't touch that again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, you can't touch.
Speaker 4: I don't give fuck your other ship was good, but you can't. You can't touch that ever again, man.
Speaker 1: Because it's magic. It had never been done before and it could never be done again because of that.
Speaker 4: Come on that bump, skickily bump man, y'all better stop playing. We got some good ship man, in our days. You know, people a lot of people, uh, you know, we gott We get a lot of motherfucking flak nowadays for old school hip hop. You know, I'm saying a lot of motherfuckers don't like to give us all recognition and props and ship. But we have some shit man back in the day, for sure, real talk, we have some shit.
Speaker 1: So still you got yours, man, We have to go first, man, all right, Well, if we're going into top ten, these are somewhat in no particular order, but in somewhat the order. Speaking of albums that really changed a lot of sound, I gotta go with the first Cypress Hill, the self titled Cypress Hill album. That Man, that album inspired so much, I think, especially sonically with what Mugs did on there. No, that's that's looking like number ten be real and send dog too, and really taking the different approach that one. You know, I always think about why doesn't that album get more recognition and more, And then one of my boys told me he thinks it's because the Chronic came out the following year. I was like, yeah, maybe that has something to do with it. But hand on the pump, how I could just kill a man, Pigs, Latin Lingo, Funky Field one. There's just so many songs on that album, man, it's amazing. I'd also obviously Doggy Styles in the top ten for obvious reasons. I would say, mister don't play Everything's Working by Project Pat is in there. That's one of my favorite albums ever. Yeah, for sure, and he like eight. Like all the great gangster rappers, Project Pat shows you the downfalls of the game. It's not a glorification, it's an education or edutainment or faction, so I gotta go with that. I would always go with the Ghetto Boys grip It on that other level, slash the Ghetto Boys album because they're essentially the same, even though they have significant differences. But both of those albums I combined into one album because they're essentially the same. That album is the only time I ever remember hearing a song and it was Mine of a Lunatic that I actually the first time I heard it, I was scared I was talking about I was really I was floored by that that album Mind of a Lunatic because I could really see him doing it, like they wrote it so well and delivered it so well, and the production was so there. And I just remember coming off of the car Freak Skettle Boys, I was like, what what happened? This is crazy? I got the infamous mob deep up here. I think that one, just that whole album is pretty flawless in my opinion. Got the both and the only two NWA's albums, Brothers for Life straight out Compton. I get both those, the Chronic and Glasses, and I share an affinity for this album, probably more than most people. But easy does it. I also think it's top ten album. And then my number one album, which I think is one of the best albums period in rap history, which is my number one album for gangster rap, is Death Certificate by Ice Cube, and I think that's the most brilliant examination of it from so many different levels, from you know, alive on arrival, looking at the healthcare system, from I want to kill Sam to us to color Blind. It's really just looking at my summer vacation. Is one of the best stories I think ever in rap history and really explain the migration of gangs from the West to the Midwest especially, and I just and it blended in the political commentary, social commentary. Obviously there's a big heavy influence with the Nation of Islam on the album and Knowledge Yourself and all that stuff. But I just think that Certificate, man, you know, shout out Sir Jans and DJ Pooh, bobcat Rashad, everybody that did it. And again color Blind one of the best examinations too of everything. Just phenomenal. So that's my top ten.
Speaker 3: Yes, phenomenal, that's a phenomenal list I have mine. I was able to put a top ten together even when I was able to put the other ones in because it.
Speaker 1: Was so so many albums. There's so many.
Speaker 3: This is in no particular order, but it kind of yields. It's still kind of all over the place. Yo, wall like, disagree with you on some of these right here, but this is just my my thing, right it's my list right here. It's yours. Yep, it's yours right now. I don't know if you guys would consider the gangst the Rap album, but my number ten, I got fifty cent get.
Speaker 1: Rich of that Trying, Yeah, that was on my list, just a little higher, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Number ten, it's got that Trying the game, the documentary The Ghetto Boys, Gripping on the other level.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: Number seven, scar Face to Fix. Number six, we comes trapped, m Fire, The Ghetto Boys, We Can't be stopped. Ice Cube death Certificate. It's still laughing al Drad the Chronic ice Cube Lethal Injection Number one Snoop Dog Doggie.
Speaker 1: Style lethal injection.
Speaker 3: Oh no man, yeah, I can't, I got I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't ride with that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't. Man leth and Action.
Speaker 4: No man, no man, well you know what, hold on yeah, man, come on man, you I'm about to do you like Steven A's list, Man, you're about to get a d around this month.
Speaker 3: Hold on, what's wrong with Leithan Jackson with death certificate? What over Umbo?
Speaker 1: Still Mann?
Speaker 4: No, there's there's there's twenty other gangster rap album Nigga. I picked, man, I picked. I picked motherfucking above the law, living like hustlers over my fucking leitho Injection real talk, good, real talk leth injections. What's on leith Injection that's gangster to you? Tell me what name one song right now? Injection is the ship Man. You can't even name a song on that motherfucker. Go to that motherfucker album right now and tell me what's the gangster gangster ship on there?
Speaker 1: He said, you know what, what wicked on? That's not on that album? That's not on that album. That's on the Predator, that's on the Predator.
Speaker 3: I made a mistake.
Speaker 1: Predator is way better.
Speaker 3: Because I'm looking at Leithling Jackson right now.
Speaker 1: On Yes, yes you did, hold on, allow me. Ghetto Birds a great song though. That baseline on Ghetto Bird is incredible. Shout out to KDS on.
Speaker 3: Hold On made a massive era. Okay, I made a massive that I don't know what America's most wanted.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, America's most wanting.
Speaker 3: I don't know why the fuck I was thinking about Leithing Jackson, But America's most wanting. Yes, not the ship with the bop gun on their America's most wanted.
Speaker 1: Okay, Still I think I still arrive with that certificate. But at least America's most wanted I can understand.
Speaker 3: But well, I have here actually written certificate number.
Speaker 1: Two, and the only one is better than is what dog Style Doggy Style?
Speaker 3: And that's kind of debate that was up for debate. That's why it was so hard for me to put this.
Speaker 1: For me, as brilliant as Doggie Style is story wise, conceptual wise, that certificate is just it's just a different It's just a different comparison. It's not even a comparable.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why I said this ain't the final list, and that's why I struggled with going back and forth. I just think at the time when Snoop came out with Doggy Style, because you gotta remember it from the way it came in rage on that motherfucker Busting, It's just wasn't a Snoop Dogg album. It was like it was just an introduction to the whole motherfucking coast, you know what I mean that first Yeah, but not the way that you know, Doggy style was just like a movement. Man. It was just like when it first came in. Man, it's like, all of these albums are great. I don't know how to fuck I fucked. I don't know what the fuck I was thinking about, man, But you know, you think about it right here, all these right here, like even with even when you talk about the Ghetto Boys albums like we Can't be stopped. In some ways, I like that album better than I do The Chronic.
Speaker 1: Really, I can't ride with you on that.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say I ain't listen to Leith injection really.
Speaker 3: Well, No, Jason was a mistake that was gonna get.
Speaker 4: It's most want I got in no particular order. I just got uh Spice one one a seven, he wrote. I got the Chronic, I got NWA first.
Speaker 1: Album straight out of count.
Speaker 4: I got music to Drive by, I got Short Dogs in the House.
Speaker 1: Wait, hey, you're thinking that's a gangster.
Speaker 3: The ghetto and all of that against album. Yeah, A fifteen just just that's a great album. Yeah, it's probably it ain't nothing but a word to me. That that's that's hood ship.
Speaker 4: I got. Uh, we can't be stopped. I got gripping on the other level, I got death certificate, Doggy Style, the chronic and we come strapped.
Speaker 1: We got almost the seamless.
Speaker 3: We got pretty much. I don't know how that, man. It's all right, it's alright, you like it. No, that's good. That's not what I want.
Speaker 4: That's what we're gonna put your We're gonna pat your face and put the little top hat on you.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get around this motherfucker. I wicked. I wicked. You know how you're going through a thing. I was trying to find a list I wrote down here, but I got like a million fucking notes in this motherfucker, and I was thinking, Okay, I don't know how the fuck I thought of that. Man.
Speaker 1: It's all good. Still, it's all good.
Speaker 3: Because that was a bad mistake, yo. Now, because that's a soundtrack.
Speaker 4: Sound Yeah, I got that. We can do soundtracks. But yeah, I got a short dog in the house nigga. That bad a hood nigga. I got the eleven through fifteen, y'all was the hood man. That banged all through the hood.
Speaker 1: I think that's Short's best album. That and Life is Too Short. I always yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah those two because dude, cuss words. Oh my god, man, don't fight the feeling. It's a hard Those two are hard.
Speaker 3: But I think I like boring to Mac Nigga.
Speaker 1: Dude all he if he just put it, he just put an album eight that just had dope fiend beat and freaky tails on it.
Speaker 3: Man, man, come on, come.
Speaker 1: On, dude, just those two songs alone. But party Time that was great. Yeah, there's a lot of.
Speaker 4: Born Mac was was. It was a nice time, man, Short Dogs in the House was cracking, and and Life is Too Short, doping no more, motherfucking town. Don't fight. Everybody in the hood banged, don't.
Speaker 1: He said, Well the danger so danger Zone said, do they call you too short because you're hot? You're with this sucker behind your boss from a clip like.
Speaker 3: What these girls was banging? That was banging.
Speaker 1: That was also one of the first whispery flows too.
Speaker 3: Hold on, you want to make sure we got all the other stuffore we go, so we keep going right there. City Adupe was cracking. It was my nobody does it better was Cracking fifteen through eleven in no particular order, Easy Easy does it Brother link Shome sees An the sickness music to drive by one of these seven he wrote, and Short Dogs Mouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a that's a thorough throw list right there.
Speaker 3: Short Dogs House. I fucked live by saying some ship like Leathan Ejection, even though Leithan Ejection had some cuts, biggest records ever on that motherfucker. What was on them? Let Me See let Me was.
Speaker 1: The only really big song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I'm about to go here right now and that's my nigg.
Speaker 1: That was on the Predator.
Speaker 3: That was on the Predator.
Speaker 4: I like, Okay, let me tell you what was on He got some cool songs.
Speaker 1: Ghatt Bird is one of the best songs on there.
Speaker 3: He had Ghetto Borrow Ye wasn't the wapp Midway. He had you know how We Do It? Okay? He had Bob Gun, He had the motherfucker to that, How you like me now? How You're not doing? What can I do now? I liked it. I think the remixed though he had little ass g on that motherfucker. But it's not it's not deaf certificate. It's not deaf Certificate on America's Most Wanted.
Speaker 4: I think because I was, I don't know, you know, Cube was, you know, my nigga's big time. My nigga's on Hollywood sets and ship and write movies and shit. So you know, sometimes people might say your influence for the penmanship, which Cube has always been prolific when they came to penmanship.
Speaker 3: So but I think when you.
Speaker 4: Listen to records like you know, America's Most Wanted and Death Certificate, and hearing songs like fucking Once upon a time in the Projects or or fucking Steady Mobbing or my summer vacation, you know, you turn around and hear bop Gun, it kind of like throw was your flavor off a little bit because we wanted Cube to stay, you know, in the neighborhood. We wanted Cube to stay one eleven n w A straight out of Compton Qube. And sometimes niggas be feeling like, you know, I gotta say something different. You know, I've been there, done that. I'm transitioning. I'm older, family kids, so I need to make more you know music. You know, maybe maybe a little tone it down a.
Speaker 1: Little the beats too. The bop Gun, for instance, just it was, you know how we do it. They were both so smooth. They had they had the funk, but they were so smooth as opposed to America's most wanted alid will death certificate. They had that nigga to admit.
Speaker 3: Though their certificate lething exection. It's easy to see how you get the nah not at all. But when you think about titles and shit. And I was just because I was spitting my list off the top of my head.
Speaker 1: And still, man, we gave you the past. Man, don't, don't try to.
Speaker 3: Don't when you think about when you think about though, man like death certificate though, Man, just from the beats and just the whole thing, it sounded like a movie kind of.
Speaker 1: It's phenomenal.
Speaker 3: It sounded like a movie, man, you know, just even like stuff like giving up the nappy dugout. And I think that was Bobcat's last great work. Like I think he was just awesome on it. I think him, who would all of them? I think I would have liked to see the Boogieymn do more work, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: For sure, I would have.
Speaker 3: Liked to see them do more work, Like I would have loved to see the boogie Man hook up with MC eight, Like you got all of these you know what I'm saying, Just like all of these people like like even now, like howda fucked me some Bomb Squad beats up? Yeah, yeah, I think you would have been dope over the motherfuckers. I think you'd have been dope over them and and the Boogieyman. I think that was the West Coast answer to the Bomb Squad kind of gets with those stick beefy ass baselines. His Bobcat got some of the beefiest base lines just in hip hop, just all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bobcasts a monster, very underrated.
Speaker 3: Bob got some beats now, man, that I know, if I know for a fact some of them beats he played me eight, maybe ten, fifteen years old, but banging like a motherfucker. He's like, I got to change the drums up. I'm like, no, you don't need to change shit in the motherfucker.
Speaker 4: And Bobcat do backyard boogie. Yes, he did motherfucker bang too. That's he's my favorite. That's your backyard. As a matter of fact, I don't know. Let me see, I get Bob Cat on the phone.
Speaker 1: You should hold on.
Speaker 3: Let me see if I get DJ Bob call on the phone. That's my big bro right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah's amazing the phone. He did a lot of great work with Park.
Speaker 4: Obviously, bobcat like nigga hit me next week. He hit the phone down.
Speaker 3: No, I talked to Bob man. You know what it is with Bob. Bob is probably sleep right now. Bob stays up at night. When I usually talk to Bob, it's at nighttime. Okay, it's at nighttime. He says. Still, I'll call you back. And I talked to him like at one o'clock in the morning and some shit like that.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. Yeah, he's He's an all time great. That doesn't get enough.
Speaker 3: Bob is a phenomenal fucking producer. And that's why I get mad at him. Yeah, that's why I get mad at him. You know, he got a lot of the problems. A lot of the old school cats got there to where they think it's like back in the day, to where they hold on and shit and just wait for that perfect moment. Well I gotta have this. I'm like, dude, them six months rollouts ain't happening no more like remember the nine of Day roll out eight you would be doing this and that you need the street single to set this up and all that and all that you're not doing that used to put that ship out now, Yeah, the the the workings of.
Speaker 4: Putting out a record and the whole transition of the setup and you know, the promo tours and going around the country and hitting the end stores and you know, those days are gone. You know a lot of records, a lot of mom and pops are closed. You know a lot of one stops are closed. Motherfuckers rely on you know what they what they stuck to most of now and that's your phone.
Speaker 3: You get me, So it's it's it's easier for motherfucking nowadays. You get me. I can make a.
Speaker 4: Song in my living room and then upload it somewhere and you know the record stores now or the streaming sites.
Speaker 3: You get me. And how do you how do you how do you get that? How do you promote that?
Speaker 4: Well, you buy spots and you buy this, and you know you buy that, or you know, we can we can double your page with fans. You pay for this and you pay for that. You know, that's the that's the successes of the record business nowadays. You know, I miss the days of where you know, you would have to go and connect with the fans and in stores and you know, even even the corporate fucking bullshit where you have to go to the towns and go up to the fucking the court the label in Tennessee, or go up to the label in Atlanta, or you know.
Speaker 3: It was just you got to see you got to see the.
Speaker 4: Grind of your work. And especially for somebody like me who grew up in the hood, you know, who didn't venture out of the hood too much. You know, it gave you a chance for a person who didn't have those opportunities to go away to college or you know, do whatever.
Speaker 1: So what was one of your biggest markets that you didn't realize till you actually went there?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: Shit, it was a few of those places, depending on you know, during that run of between straight checking them and we come strapped. I could go just about shit, any place outside of La you get me. I could go up north the Frisco. It'd be a thousand people waiting outside for sign autographs. I could go down to Texas, Dallas, Houston, it'd be people around the block waiting to get autographs and buy the new CD that just came out.
Speaker 3: Chicago was always Yeah, Midwest always been big on West Coast games. Detroit. I mean we used to hit like I would go from here.
Speaker 4: We would pop up the Frisco, then we would pop up the Seattle. Then we would bounce down the Arizona, then go across the Dallas, Houston, shoot up the motherfucking Denver, jump across somewhere to like Saint Louis, then bounce up the motherfucking Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, fucking you know all of those spots, jump over the motherfucking Washington to Philly, then come down to New Jersey and then roll on into New York. That was a standard promo tour for me.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny, man, I always notice, Man, it's like the DMV, the DMV from the DMV on up to like that Ohio, Detroit. Yeah, that was my run. Didn't much Detroit.
Speaker 4: We didn't much do down south like we would get to like we would get to maybe as far as sometime New Orleans and then we would cut up. We wouldn't go across like the Georgia's, the Mississippi, Texas. I did all I did, Houston, I did Austin, I did Dallas, I did even we would even do Galveston.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Texas has always listened to like West Coast gangster rapt and you could tell kind of their music because even on the school tapes he was threw like, yeah, he would use a lot of our music. See like you know what I'm saying, his favorite artists. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. So it was always like that. Like even when you think about the Ghetto Boys, it's almost like they was Jay Prince's answer to the n w A, because they damned it came out, you know, almost the same time when you think about the original incarnation maybe a few years later, four years later, the same time.
Speaker 1: I remember car Freaks is even before them, but it was different. They were very different.
Speaker 3: Jay Prince want a gangster ship.
Speaker 1: He wanted to remember, he was trying to have. He wanted Raheem to be his LL cool J. Remember the Vigilanni right, I remember, Yeah, that was his LL cool J. He even had the red Kango on the cover, if you'll remember that. Back in the day, m h the Vigilanti ra Vigelini.
Speaker 3: You know, I was talking to Willie D right, and I was talking to Homie Willy D. And I asked him. I said, hey, man, when we do the Top fifty show, because I want I'm gonna have people call in, and I want to have people call in, you know, different rappers. And he said, well, where are we at in the list now? He said we number one? I said, man, I don't know y'all number one when in my book? He said, if we ain't number one, I don't want no second place. I don't want no third place for it. I said, Dog, it's the top fifty hip hop albums all the time. I don't give a fuck we ain't number one. I don't want to deal on it. He said, I'll do the show, but we can't call it nothing for that. Willis shout out to my homeboy. Will did Willie did a good due him and Brad both Yes, Sir, Willie Die is the hummy though Willie D is probably when you talk about underrated people, Willie D don't have some of the coldest raps. Dog, and he's never he ain't never mentioned on the shit. Think about reading these nikes. Dog, Here we go again, another brawl the conflict. Somebody finna get the ass kick If you ain't down with the ghetto boys, get your happy gas out of dogs. The rumors you heard ain't slander Willie D. Don't give a fuck about the goddamn by a standard so we can see if he clinched my fists. Get out the way, get trolle, bitch. That motherfucker was hard dog.
Speaker 1: Yes he is.
Speaker 3: He was hard man a different flame versus man.
Speaker 4: That's all you people have their favorite tis a month who you know when it comes to the ghetto boys, all three was cool to me and homies. I build a better relationship with Scarface, but they were all cool to me. Motherfuckers have their preferences, you get me.
Speaker 1: I think the Controversy is one of the best album covers too.
Speaker 3: Ever, yeah it was man controversy album covers back in the day. You know what. Speaking the back of the day, I wanted to ask, man, if you notice in the nineties, from the nineties, for a long time, we always had a summertime anthem. It ain't been one of those in hip hop in a minute, man, like you know, just think about it. Even when you had will Smith the summertime, you know, summertime you had all these big records, like what was your record all for the money? That came out that was a big summer record. All of the money. You just had songs that just played through the summer. Man, it's like, I wonder sometimes what's happening with hip hop?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Like I get work sometimes, Well.
Speaker 4: There's too much variety and it's too much. It's too much. Whatever you've done for me lately. You put out a song today, nigga hit me. I can put out a song today, A nigga gonna hit me and be like that motherfucker was hard. Two days from now, nigga gonna be like what else you got?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the music cycle is too short. Then what happened? And that that's I feel. That's because.
Speaker 4: It's a billion niggas now and when you got shipped like streaming sights to where Okay, they play this song one second and then now you're on this artist this second, Then you're on this artist this second. Motherfucker's attention span is.
Speaker 3: That's what artists. I noticed the way artists release albums now, especially the Newcats. They release the album right then they'll drop a single, then they drop another single, then they drop another single, they'll drop another album. So you look up the year they don't drop like ten to fifteen fucking album to where the whole course of your career, if you was lucky, you got to get three Yeah, lucky, if you were lucky. Yeah, if you was lucky, you got to get three albums.
Speaker 4: The power of that's the power of self promotion and self you know doing right now? Yeah, because yeah, nigga, I'm gonna do fifteen songs and then two days later, I'm gonna go just running the studio and do another song, and I'm gonna drop that motherfucking tomorrow as a single. And then two days from now, I'm gonna run to the studio and do another song, and then tomorrow I'm gonna drop that motherfucking single.
Speaker 3: You know what. I was talking to one of the little homies, right, not little homie very much grown man, but Jeeperica, right, And I was talking to him. He was like, yeah, I'm gonna go get back and recording his album, right, And I was like, damn, you just dropped the album, but he's putting out another one. I guess in the way to climbing the else today with that streaming, because motherfucker's attention span, like I.
Speaker 4: Said, so fast, It's like you got the album today and by next week, a nigga want you to drop another album causeiggs turned your content, just.
Speaker 3: Like how we do this podcast, Albums have turned into fucking content, man, where motherfucker's just okay, I'm gonna go record an album and before you know, I know when I was recording, I always want to have a theme, like a story to my shit.
Speaker 4: I just didn't go ahead and get recorded a bunch of songs, right, That's me. I like to have a tight or a subject, a theme or something. I don't just like to he put the beat on and I'm just gonna start rapping about anything. I hate doing that shit. So I like the vibe to the music and come up with some kind of concept first, and then once I do that, the shit kind of easy for me. Once I come up with that first five words and shit of whatever that concept or that story is gonna be, usually it just flows after that. But I don't like just getting in there and they put the beat on and the next thing you know, I'm I'm just rapping about any dang and shit.
Speaker 1: But that's a lot of just rapping the rep that's.
Speaker 3: What they call it.
Speaker 4: They call it freestyling today you know, back in our days, freestyling was you know, but today you can have a whole song and they could talk about nothing, just a gun bunch of shit.
Speaker 3: And that's free styling today, Yeah it is. And you know what, man, I think was hurting the key today, not the sounds like the Olderman old head. But you gotta remember, some of the greatest hip hop albums had producer clicks, or it was just like one person over see it, or they had situations to where it might have been three or four cats, but they was all working in concert with each other like ten albums. Yeah, I think that's what made three six Mafia so great because to me, Juicy J and DJ paul are probably one of, if not the greatest production tandem of all time. They gotta be damned to mention in the top three. Them dudes are phenomenal fucking producers. And I don't never hear them get their credit because they kind of invented the mephis sound.
Speaker 1: Well they uh stamped it.
Speaker 3: They definitely stamped it. And I know, you know, you hear a lot of artists like I hear Crunchy Black talking about paul O him money, but without them beats and out Crunchy Black. You my god, man, I love you to death. But without them DJ Paul and Juicy j beats, I don't know if the stuff would have been hidden like that. I mean, and I like Crunchy Black. Crunchy Black is the homie you don't be on the show and everything else, but.
Speaker 1: You gotta have the beats, man.
Speaker 3: The producers are very important, and a lot of them. You know, three six Mafia went through a lot of members, right, they went through a whole lot of members. But the one thing that remained the same, what made that group what it was wered DJ Paul and Juicy Jay's beats. Them motherfuckers are incredible, man, and me being a producer, dude to make beats, some of them samples, and the way they flipped them, like even their riding spinners, the way they chopped that ship up because they had to be shopped, because that original groove don't go like they made that group that du du du du dum dumb dumb dump dump dum dumb. Just with they do is it's not easy, not at all.
Speaker 1: It's not easy, and they did it hundreds of times.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying, Man, you know, and they've taken the same sample and made multiple hit records out of it, and all the motherfuckers sound different.
Speaker 1: They've done that multiple times too. They flipped it, they flipped chop strip, blend, all kinds of different things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're good song writers. Too many had they had it going on, man, they had this ship. They definitely some of my favorites. Man, I know in this top fifty list, they gotta they gonna wind up probably with more than one representation on there.
Speaker 1: Project Pad mister don't play. That's that's the one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know what, he's one of them dudes. Like we mentioned Rick Ross earlier off the thing, He's one of them dudes that just seemed like he just get fucking better. Man. I heard him on some shit, even on the Drake shit he'spassed on there, besyrup like his lick up catching up the guy quicker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, he's he's uh, he is a true master of the game. Project pat Height.
Speaker 3: You know what, this is something I always wanted to ask you, my nigga, And it's a tripping because I can actually ask you now. You had a very distinct sound like your shit was almost like you almost like the Clive Barkway rap. All your shit was always ominous, like like like a motherfucker creeping Like I forget what song was that. Man, they had this like horn in there like in the background. It was like and then it went to it like this piano break toward the end. I forget which albue was on and when the piano and it sounded real cinematic and had the strings coming in and shit, man ate shit always sounded like a movie like motherfucker's creeping. Your music always sounded like one big ass drive by, Like I just pictured motherfucker's load nay, motherfucking magazines up and shit and just creeping on the motherfucker. Was that an intentional Yeah? I never tried to. I left the.
Speaker 4: Uptempo party and rapping to everybody else. I want to just tell stories with my shit, And I thought the best way to paint the picture of the lifestyle of what I was going through was by like scoring fucking movies and those shows. You know, you always get to a certain part of the movie or the show where that sinister music comes in and they're showing you, you know, the killer or the motherfucker's getting ready to rob the bank or you know what's taking them to that desperate situation of what they have to do, whatever it is. And that's how I tried to describe my music was growing up in the neighborhood. You know, niggas kicked it and you know, neighborhood good parties and shit like that. But it was always sinister to me. You know, y'all look over your back and the lights go out. You don't know who creeping down the street. Who's gonna die today? You know what we gotta do to make some money. You know, life ain't always good at home and shit when you're growing up in Compton and poverty and not even on movie shit just looking at you know, just everyday scene of you know, shoot.
Speaker 3: Nigga made it home today. You get me.
Speaker 4: That's what you went through on a daily thirteen fourteen years old. So when it was time for me to and I was always a fan of movies, you know, gangster movies, killer movie, whatever it be, whatever. I was always a fan of that part where the police chase get ready to start, or the killers bust into the room and shootout starting. You always hear that music, you know, that build up, so I always wanted my music to be you know, my soundtrack to the streets, and I always just felt like, ain't nothing fun over here. You know, niggas made fun records, you know, party records.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: My nigga Snoop had us grooving like a motherfucker. You know, Cube had Cube had us grooving on a couple of songs. My nigga Mac had us grooving on songs. Get me, I didn't want to groove you get me. I didn't want to groove because I didn't feel I didn't feel groove like. I didn't feel that like it was hell growing up. And that's how I felt in my music. Yeah, we're making at money and shit like that, but I didn't start I didn't start enjoying that until I got out of content because my first three records, I was still there. So all my music was like, nigga, niggas, is y'all having fun?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 4: Homie got shot at last night or I still got pulled over and nigga I got two records out, Nigga, I'm handcuffed in the back of a sheriff car right now. That's how that was still going on for me. So every time it was time for me to make music. I wanted to make that hard hitting point music like Nigga the Homie high on sharm On Stick Jo made a cool song about sharm Stick. But I'm telling you, fuck this shit. The homie shurm doubt and we don't know who Finna come blasts on us and the police done pulled up. It's like nothing was fun for me growing up gang banging and being in the hood. It wasn't you know at the days of yeah, we kicking it, niggas is barbecuing and we at the park and shit, but it was always on high alert. Nigga come through here at any time to shoot this motherfuck up. That's what I always thought about. So let me go home and write a song about that. You get me, or I didn't go home and write a song about Yeah. We was at the picnic today and niggas was kicking it and the bitches was good.
Speaker 3: Nigga.
Speaker 4: I went like, yeah, Nigga, we had a pic nick Nigga and the enemy came through and then the one times this and Nigga, Nigga the homie got shot. Now we finish attend the funeral. Fucked that fucking barbecue we was at. That's what I wrote about because I've seen that shit on. It was on a daily and if it wasn't happening over here, a damn show was happening around the corner in the homies hood.
Speaker 3: Exactly what that song sound like, because it sounds like a sound was sinister, man, and it's sinistor like this one like horn comes in like.
Speaker 4: And then I used to you know, just I used to listen to that that groovy type of shit, you know, uh, sugar free fucking you know, I used to listen to all type of groovy ass motherfucking those sinister songs like.
Speaker 3: I didn't listen to shit like a very dark individual. Dog. Yeah, man, I was is dark here. You don't like the joke. You don't like that ship? You want a joke? Man, Fuck that ship. Nigga.
Speaker 4: I'm like the nigga that walk in and everybody partying and chilling and eating, and then you look over in the corner and I'm standing over there like and they.
Speaker 3: Like, baby, get you something to eat?
Speaker 4: You don't want I'm standing up looking at everybody like, no, I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 3: It was like that ship.
Speaker 4: You could be your own family members, your cousins and everything. They like, Hey, hey, what's that? What's up with the movies?
Speaker 3: Since since we're doing movies in two thousand t twenty four, Man, I can't come to you with no comedies then, I mean, shit, that's motherfucking you know.
Speaker 4: Times have changed, man, I'm I'm I'm a little more open, I'm a little more relaxed, and shit, I ain't worried about. You know, you go through different shits when you when you and your motherfucking twenties and teens and as a parent as opposed to you know, going through life and seeing that you know, you can take yourself out of those negative equations and shit, you know, So that's what you learn to do. That's what I learned to do. So you know, I can make whatever kind of music right now. But like I said, growing up, I saw a different light. I saw a different aspect as far as you know, the streets is concerned.
Speaker 3: My shit was.
Speaker 4: My shit was gory, Brother Lynch hung every day you feel me like that, That's that's what my life was. It wasn't And like I said, we had fun. We got to go to Magic Mountain and Disneyland, and shit like that sometimes when we forward the ship. But yeah, we would it would fight that Magic Mountain and shit like that, you know. But I remember one time we went up there and the police wouldn't let us, you know, they knew we was crips, and they said it was blood day at Magic Mountain. Wow, And they wouldn't let us even go in. No bullshit, really, no bullshit. Me and a gang of the homies or something and the ladies went up to Magic Mountain and the motherfucking sheriffs they used to have to share something.
Speaker 3: Sheriff said, it's blood that y'all can't come in here. No, they probably saved yo.
Speaker 4: They go, my mama, they did, They told us, you know. And that was back when niggas was like nineteen and twenty. Niggas was knuckleheads and ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, before we get up out of here, we go actually drop this top fifty list next week, and it's gonna be a little bit different. We go do it big.
Speaker 1: I got some calls set up, man, I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: I got some, you know, some surprises, man, some surprise, got surprises, some surprise calls, A few of them, A few tricks up my sleeve. Before we get up out of here, man, I want to give a shout out to the spot we record at the Coin Academy, Man, the Homy maker, go mac all them dudes, man, good cats Man, for sure coin got some good shit going on. Rest in peace, my nigga, layload man, Yeah exactly, legend shout man show and we out of here. Well. That concludes another episode of the Gainst the Chronicles podcast. Be sure to download the iHeart app and subscribe to The Gangster Chronicles podcast For Apple users, find a purple micae on the front of your screen, subscribe to the show, leave a comment and rating. Executive producers for The Gangster Chronicles podcasts of Norman Stelled, Aaron M. C a Tyler. Our visual media director is Brian Whatt, and the audio editors tell It Hayes. The Gangster Chronicles is a production of iHeart Media Network and The Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app Apple podcasts wherever you're listening to your podcasts