Speaker 1: As a lead fifteen to ten touchdown.
Speaker 2: Chargers, what's up, guys. We're back with a Week eight edition of Chargers Weekly, as always, joined by Matt Muney Smith. Chargers trying to look ahead. Here Sunday night football against the Chicago Bears, coming off yet another loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, and money. We're taping this on a Thursday. There's been so much dialogue about this game from the time it ended to President. I don't know how much you want to dig into it, but you know, I could just kind of quickly put a button on it on my end and let you go. Like the offense was good in the first half, they weren't in the second. The defense was not good in the first half. They were better in the second. Special teams had a missqueue with the McCole Hardman punt return and just the complimentary football was off man. And usually we're used to seeing one possession football games against Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 1: This was not. It was close.
Speaker 3: You know, it was close, and that's when when you think back to last year, you know, starting last year, that's just we haven't seen it. We have not seen that type of punt return in a long time, you know, and so it just unfortunately came at the wrong moment, and that's how you end up getting the two score game. Otherwise, you know, that thing was a one score game the entire second half. The defense had finally bowed up, and it was a very odd game. And that the offense traded punches, you know, with the Chiefs possession for possession, they go field goal, Chargers field goal, they go touchdown, Chargers go touchdown, they go touchdown, Chargers go touchdown. And then at the end of the first and it just goes to show you. I think it's such a good reminder of like how hard it is to beat the Chiefs. You know, the Chargers get that interception and they're moving and it's like, okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: Now get take lead.
Speaker 3: Now I can really put your foot on the gas and pass goes through Keenan's hands. That would have put him into plus territory. We never see that, right, he's on that crosser right in the middle. That thing's going to be a gain of about twenty puts it about the Chiefs forty five. Herbert takes a terrible sack, you know, and it's just like those two plays that's all it took. And then Gerald Everett, you credit, you know, McDuffie nearly got away from him at the right sideline to pick up that first down on that third and sixteen or eighteen whatever it was, but just couldn't quite get away from him. And now you punt it away and now the Chiefs come down, and I thought that was Look, it was a very frustrating first half for the defense. You could see it in their body language on their face. They did not I don't think they liked the way they were playing. And by that obviously they didn't like giving up twenty four points in the first half, But I mean, I don't think they liked the style of defense they were playing. I think there was a lot of communication issues. Guys that were handing off, you know, receivers to nobody and not quite sure where they were supposed to be. And I thought that drive was sort of the exclamation point. And I bring up because I do think it played into how they played the second half. I think at the end of that drive where marquezvel Dez Scantling gets this twenty eight yard up the right sideline play and again it's just like nobody's covering them, they pin him all the way back at the four, and the very next play is thirty seven yards right sideline, wide open. And I think you combine all the plays on that drive, you know, Kelsey for fifteen wide open, and then somehow Eric Kendricks, who has really struggled in coverage this year, finds himself on Kelsey in the red zone, commits the penalty in the end zone. I mean, he never had a chance. That thing was dead the rights from the second the ball was snapped in. Kendricks is playing Kelsey and trying to keep up with him, and they score the touchdown. And I don't know, I'm not in the locker room, Chris, but I think that was like a last straw. And I think you very well could have had some players on that defense go enough, were let enough, you know, Mikey, And you heard the way he sounded after the game. I think he's like, I'm playing press I'm pressing my guy. And I think Derwin said, I'm playing Kelsey and I'm pressing him and where he goes I go. And you saw that in the second half, and I think that's why it's important to rehash that game, because I do think you've got player equity in this defense. I'm Derwin James. I'm tired of being hung out to dry. I'm gonna go and freaking attack this thing. And I think you saw that specifically from those two guys from Davis and from Durwin, and you saw what was soft coverage become pressman and a lot more two man where they're still playing with they're too high, but now you're pre and along the line of scrimmage and you're making guys work for it. And it worked. And I think coach Daley acknowledged that after the game, like, hey, we learned some things move And I do believe. I don't want to I don't want to speak. Maybe it's just hopeful for me, but I do think he said moving forward, And so I'm hopeful that with the style of play that Derwin can play with, that Mikey can play with, and look for Mikey. He's a free agent at the end of this year, Chris. He's he's not a former first round pick that everybody has their fan base knows who he is and oh, hey, we're gonna go sign you know. So I think there's something there, like, hey, I got to put up numbers if I'm going into free agency and maybe the Chargers are looking to draft the corner of the first round or whatever. You know, however, that whole thing shakes out. I can't be the guy on Tate that's given Tyreek Hill and you know, Marquezveldes scantling and all that, you know, and ceedee lamb ten yards of coverage because that's not my game, y know. My game is I'm six three and I'm gonna bust you up at the line of scrimmage and I'm gonna be able to stick with you hit for hit, And we saw that last year, and I think that's something that I'm keeping an eye on in this game against the Bears, especially the way that they're playing with Tyson Pagent.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of pride in that locker room too, And frankly, you're just they're sick of losing to the Kansas City Chiefs because it happens every year. And what I found, you know, kind of hard to understand that first half is this is a divisional opponent that you have played close. And when I say close, I mean like multiple lead changes in the fourth quarter, close on the verge of winning football games against the you know, defending Super Bowl champions. So when you and DJ are in the booth, like, like, what are you seeing in that first half, because that like, you know who Travis Kelsey is, you know who Patrick Mahomes is, and it just seems like that wasn't the Chargers defense that we are using to seeing against this team. And I just I don't understand how it looked like that in the first half and then it looked so drastically different in the second half, Like, I just how how is Travis Kelsey setting a career high in receiving yards in the first half of that game? How is Patrick Mahomes throwing for three hundred yards in the first half against his secondary? I mean, this is a divisional opponent. When you played divisional opponent, you guys, you know the style of fight. Yeah, And it just seemed like the first half this was like a team that had not seen before.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a great observation trace and you you your tone is what our tone was a tone of confusion of what you know, Travis Kelcey is always going to find the soft spot. He is so good at it, and I know they pushed. I know, coach pushed back. And we talked to Tom te Lesk a little bit earlier, and I wanted him to explain to people that we're listening to the show with Petros and me and and he said, look, it wasn't all zone. It's it's it's a matchup zone. So there's man concepts, and I just said, I get it. I get that, but it's still a zone where you're, yes, it's a matchup zone, you're passing someone off to someone else and there's nobody there, like whatever it is that you're trying to do is not happening. It hasn't happened all year. And so for me and I am, I am, they will. They have forgotten more things than I will ever know about the game of football. I acknowledge that, and I have the van I have the vantage point, and I have the ability to watch replay and see what should have happened. So I'm not pretending like I've got the answers, but I'm simply saying for me. With Khalil Mack having seven sacks with truly leading all rookies, and pressure with Joey Bosa, with Morgan Fox who was going for his fifth straight game with at least one sack. I'm gonna cut my front four loose and I'm gonna I'm gonna trust them to get home, and I'm gonna play. If you want to play safe and take the top off or Aaron protect the top with umbrella, play your two safeties high, you know, And then I'm gonna press because I believe they're gonna get home. I believe Tully and Morgan and Joey and Khalil are gonna get home. And then I can have I can send those four and I can have seven guys back and I and if I'm pressing and knocking these guys off routes, we, like you said, the Chargers have played them enough.
Speaker 1: You know the rules.
Speaker 3: You can't get too high up the field against Mahomes and allow him to break contain and break the edge, set the edge, keep him in the pocket, don't let him run and play some p and let's force him to throw it somewhere else. And they just didn't do it. And I mean, I think it was twenty to twenty one. I think is what he was twenty for twenty one. I don't remember exactly what the first half was but I think that was it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He end up a forty two for four to twenty four four touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was twenty for twenty one for over three hundred yards. In the first half, Travis Kelcey had ten targets for ten ten receptions on ten targets for like one hundred and fifte hundred and forty three or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred and thirty nine yards or one hundred and forty three yards something like that in the in the first half. But you know, go ahead.
Speaker 3: So my thing is, let's adjust after the second possession, let's.
Speaker 1: You know, and so we we continued to.
Speaker 3: Be surprised, and I think it was great to see the adjustment in the second half because, look, you're constantly trying to figure it out.
Speaker 1: It's chess.
Speaker 3: You know, basketball and baseball are checkers, they just are. Football is chess, and you are trying to It does not take much to go wrong. And in watching that game, I think Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes found something with the middle of the field and specifically number six. I think they found something and they just kept going back to it over and over and over and over, and they made the adjustment in the second half and they allowed one hundred yards and seven points. And let's hope that carries over now of this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, another development over the last three games that has not been positive that needs to change is the offense in the second half. They didn't score any points against the Chiefs or the Raiders, two divisional opponents in the second half of those games. Ten points against the Cowboys. There's a combination of things going on right now offensively with Justin's finger, to the lack of Mike Williams and Corey Linsley, Austin Ecleck just coming back from injury, Slater's ankle. Slater's ankle, that's a big one. That's a huge one. It's a huge one. And also just you know the young guards. You know, maybe there's some growing pains going on there, you know, you when you have Chris Jones on the other side too, It's it's something where you have to take that into account. But offensively, money as we look at the injury report, Jailed Ever got hurt in that game. Joshua Palmer was a DNP in practice on Wednesday. You know, we talked so much about Quintin Johnson last week just two targets, one catch for twenty yards. So what is this offense gonna look like on Sunday Night against the Bears. And you know, I put something out on Twitter, like the last three weeks, they've been really good on defense. They've allowed just fourteen points six points of games. I know it was against the Commanders and against the Raiders and against the Vikings, but the Chargers barely beat the Vikings and it took a possession to seal it against the Raiders. And the Commanders have have up and down performances offensively this year. So their defense is playing better. And they have this rookie quarterback. And when you don't have a ton of tape on a guy, I think it makes it a little bit more I wouldn't say difficult, but you have to kind of leave it up to the imagination on what he's going to provide for them.
Speaker 3: Well, I think number one, I am very hopeful that we see what we saw in the second half. I cannot imagine playing a soft zone against and providing cushion to Beijing. That's the one thing. I know it's only a game and a half, but that ball is out quid short quick throws. He is not holding onto the ball, he is not pushing it downfield. It is short quick throws. His average I'm looking at it right now, his average per attempt is five point seven.
Speaker 1: It's nothing.
Speaker 3: So you got to press. You have got to be up on the line of scrimms. Do not let Dj Moore get a bunch of these quick throws.
Speaker 1: Yack.
Speaker 3: He's a really good yards after catch receiver. We've already seen justin Jefferson one eight, Tyreek Kill two fifteen, ced Lamb one seventeen, Travis Kelcey Won's seventy nine. There's one guy that I do not want to see beat the Chargers in this game, and that's DJ Moore, who right now has fifty one targets. The next highest is thirty two for the tight end comet. I mean, Mooney has got less than one half of the targets that Moore has. Forty catches, six hundred and thirty six yards and five touchdowns, thirteen explosive plays. Get Mikey Davis on them, jam him and force Bagent to get uncomfortable in the pocket because you got Tully, Like I said, you've got that defensive line and that's that's what I'd like to see. I want to see Khalil touley Bosa and at the same time, that's what I would love to see those guys out there. They have created incredible opportunities for each other when they're out there, and so I'd like to see that be predominantly what they're working on the defensive line. I want to see these guys up on the line of scrimmage, the secondary players, because Baigent wants that ball out and that's what he did as shepherd. You know, I was talking to Tom Telesco about him and he's like, oh, we scouted him, we liked him a lot, you know, and he ended up playing in the Super Bowl, and everybody that was at the Senate at the I'm sorry, the Senior Bowl, and everybody was at the Senior Bowl talked about how much they liked him. So, you know, they they know, they actually did some work on Beajent now you know, did did the entire defensive coaching staff. No, like they've got to catch up. But at least and we know how much Brandon invests in the draft. You know, he was the guy that was really you know, puffing his chest out about Quinton, So we know that he's invested, you know, and he is is part of this process. And he said, yes, I watched a lot of bigent So at least there's that right that these coaches, specifically Brandon, our head coach, you know, is very you know, is very invested in the draft. So he's got a lot of bagent tape that he's watched already, and I think knows, Okay, this is a guy that's bang bang, snap three step boom gone. So you got to play prece and force those first raids and those hot raads to not be there offensively. I you know, Chris, I wish I had an answer. You know, the defense has been getting gashed for the most part all season long. You know, the offense has had these games like the running game against Miami, the passing game against Minnesota, the first half all around against the Chiefs and the Raiders, and like, I don't know, I don't know what to make of the offense. I just I can't figure it out. And I'm sure it's frustrating for Kellen Moore where you have a first half like you have against Kansas City and then you can't get anything going in the second half, and it's punt punt, turnover, punt, like it's you know, three and out, three and out, Yeah, three and out where you ran the ball three straight times like it's and you know, Justin Herbert as your quarterback, like it is a very strange time to try to figure out what's going on with the offense.
Speaker 2: Well, one of your keys to potential victory against the Chiefs was to get Austin Eckler involved in the passing game. One catch, one yard, two targets. I know he was out of the game for a little bit, but he still had fourteen carries forty five yards. Austin hasn't seemed like Austin Eckler since he's been back. And I continue to be a little confused about the Quentin Johnson thing. Man, like just two targets. If Joshua Palmer is limited or does not play in this game and Gerald Everett's out, you have no choice. Quentin Johns's gonna have to be a part of this thing.
Speaker 1: I think, you know it.
Speaker 3: It hit me when I was and I think it was Popper that asked the question he had because I can't imagine any other of the Rioters having asked the question, but he specifically after the game brought up what was a critical miss on third down to Keenan where Willie Gay got his hands on it and popped it up in the air, and Popper had mentioned, hey, I see it. You know, it's a right to left progression. He gets to Keenan and Keenan's flashing open, so he cuts it loose, and there's Gay reading reading the play and gets his hands up and knocks it in complete. But if he goes one more, there's Quintin on that quick slant you know, a QJ special that you know that he that he ran repeatedly at TCU and really was kind of his was his calling card, right, these quick slants that he's he's a yack monster and he's just going to turn a five yard slant into a thirty yard gain and it was a flashed wide open and and Coach Staley's answer was basically yes, you know, he was excited even a little bit. He's like, yeah, you read it exactly right. It's a right to left progression. And when Justin got to Keenan, he sees he's open and he makes that pass, you know, because it looks like it's going to be a completion. So my takeaway from that is, and again I'm I want to make sure I qualify these I'm not out there that the bodies have not been on in my lap the entire game. But I'm just going back to twenty twenty and how comfortable he was with the worst offensive line that we have seen since the Chargers, you know, had that the Chargers have had since twenty seventeen. Twenty twenty was the worst offensive line that he was under pressure every snap, and yet he would still work through all of his progressions just because he knew. Okay, I know, I know it's a it's a three man route, and I know what that third man's got, So let me just take a peek. I know Keenan's flashing open, but let me take a peek because I like that matchup. It's one on one, Quintin's got the inside. Does he get inside?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Can can he force that corner to not get inside leverage and pop this thing? Because the pocket hadn't collapsed yet. It's clean. And I bring it up because, like, to me, that was the issue with the Joe Lombardi offense. Is it was, here's your route map. As soon as you see somebody open balls out, that's the Drew Brees like I'm gonna I'm gonna bang bang bank Okay, open go, And it's only four air yards and it's a six yard completion. Like I want to get back to that. You know what, I'm gona hold it. I'm gonna roll out if I got to, because I think my guys are gonna win and and let's go win. And like that's what Patrick Mahomes was doing. You know, he was just hanging and he has that rep you know, that relationship with his receivers where they're like, oh, he's gonna he's gonna break free and we're gonna you know, this thing's gonna go from six yards to to thirty and like I just want him to stop going. You know, here's my progression one, No, two, Yes, let's go.
Speaker 1: I want it to be.
Speaker 3: Okay, the pocket's clean, Let's take a peek at three, let's see what it looks like. And there it is. He's got the inside. Let's hit him and let's just see if he can go. And so I think it's residual from the last two years under Joe Lombardi where it's just muscle memory and it's you know, and in Justin's defense, we're talking about, you know, the third offensive coordinator, play caller in four years. So it's not easy, you know, it's not easy to break that muscle memory and those habits and those rules and everything that you've been conditioned to do for two years. And hey, let's change it up, man, Let's hang on to it. Let's hang on to it. We got if we got to, you know.
Speaker 1: And so that was just kind of my takeaway on that play. And and you.
Speaker 3: Know, I don't know, I just I feel like I keep going back to twenty twenty, yeah, and just thinking about how different it looked, and just how different the explosive plays looked, how different the shot plays looked, how athletic Herbert looked when he was just I'm trying to think the best way to describe it. And again I have no idea if it's if it's correct, if it's not, But like, I just feel like, man, that rookie year, Herbert was just out there, like his hair was on fire man, and he's just like whatever, let's freaking go, and he's just cutting loose. And now it feels like, oh, I know the I've mastered this textbook, I know all the answers, I know what this play is supposed to do. And he's so smart that he's got all that information now, and I almost feel like it's a little paralysis by analysis and we've lost a little bit of that, just that nuance, that feel for the position that we saw that first year where it was, Hey, I'm the most talented dude out here in the league.
Speaker 1: Watch this, Watch what I'm about to I want to get some of that back.
Speaker 3: The There is nobody built like me. There is nobody with the arm I have. There is nobody with the athleticism I have. At six foot six two and forty, I'm gonna wreck you. And it's not okay. I've got one, two, three, and then I'm gonna come back to two and let's I want less of that, and I want a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Of the Let's go, yeah, cut loose, let's go. Good luck stopping this.
Speaker 2: It's a great point. Take a quick break, and we'll dig into it a little bit more. All right, guys, A big thank you to our partner, Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider, end laptop of the NFL and the Los Angeles Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at Surface dot Com. Hey Chargers fans, you want to eat? Uber Eats now available for in stadium pickup. Order all of your stadium favorites from your seat with the Uber Eats app. Just set your location to Sofi Stadium, select your favorites and you'll receive a notification when your order is ready for pickup. There are many mouth watering options in Sofi Stadium. Let the stadium rumble, not your stomach Go Chargers. VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment capital of the world. Ticket packages boasted a ray of offerings such as premium seeding to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL onlocation dot com or search NFL on location today your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location so money. I want to go back to this point because I think it's an excellent one. When I hear Patrick Mahomes talk a lot of times, he's saying Travis is just running a route and I'm gonna find him, and it's a lot of off script and you see Mahomes on the move and just using his God given talent to just make amazing throws and amazing decisions the rookie season. Now this is his fourth year. Obviously he's more comfortable in the NFL. But you mentioned having this Joe Lombardi offense the last two years, and if you know Justin Herbert, you know how maniaqual he is about studying and getting things correct. What's the percentage of the Joe Lombardi kind of offense that's still in this Kellen Moore offense and what Kellen Moore wants to do, because again they only have seven games together, right, it takes a while to learn somebody. And I think that's one of the more kind of underrated I think storylines to start this year is that, yes, we all were expecting bombs away with Kellen Moore and obviously having healthy personnel. To this point, both have not really been the case. Do you think it's more a product of, Hey, we need more time on task and Justin needs to get more comfortable with what Kellen wants to do as opposed to maybe kind of using what he's done in the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: I think it's a great question. I don't know. I don't know the answer. I don't know how much of it Kellen kept. Because you know, Justin said that he's comfortable with it. I think I like that you because you know what. I love that you brought up Mahomes and Kelsey because I think that's what we saw against Minnesota with Justin and Keenan. It's like, Hey, we know each other, we know exactly we are on the same wavelength, We're sharing the same football brain. These guys want to blitz us. Eighty percent of the time, we're gonna roast you. And I think you saw that, and that's what Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelsey saw against the Chargers. Oh, you're gonna play you know, a matchup zone, or you're gonna try to hand me off from a corner to a safety or a linebacker, or you're gonna give me a free release. Oh watch what we're gonna do to you. And I think we saw that against Minnesota, and that's how Keenan has that, you know, that record setting day, So we know that that those two have that special connection. I also think, and and I love that you brought this up that when you when when you see Mahomes, you know, at the lectern and when you hear the way he talks about the game and the way that he describes there's I'm trying to think of the right way. I don't know if the right word is visceral, but there's just there's this natural feeling to it, like, Hey, I'm I'm feeling the game.
Speaker 1: I'm out there and.
Speaker 3: And the game is speaking to me and I'm speaking to it. This maybe this will work as a metaphor. I think that they're Justin and Patrick are walking into They're walking down a university hallway for finals, and Justin is taking a left into a classroom with a scientific calculator and a slide rule, and Patrick Mahomes has taken a right with a blue composition book. And that's what it looks like to me, is that there is this creation versus execution. And I think that I think that's kind of what you're speaking to, Like there's and I think that's Look, Patrick Mahomes has been with Andy Reid and Travis Kelcey for seven years now, right or six years now, and so like that's that's the relationship, and that's sort of the relationship you not only have with each other.
Speaker 1: But with the offense.
Speaker 3: And and so Justin this is his first year with Kellen Moore, you know, And and I think that's why, you know, you know, outside look, outside of Travis Kelsey, Patrick Mahomes has nothing going on with those receivers.
Speaker 1: He has really struggled.
Speaker 3: And outside of Keenan Allen since Mike Williams went down, Justin's got nothing going with anybody else.
Speaker 1: So it's like there is that parallel.
Speaker 3: I think it's you know, you got to you got to point out that, yeah, that's the case with Mahomes and and Kelsey. This offense has not been explosive. You know, it had been it had averaged twenty one points per game outside of the forty one they put up against the Bears in it's other five games, so other four games. So I think it's important to remember that as as well. But yeah, I think I feel like that's kind of what what we're getting at right is like just a little more natural, like you you know, the and I think this works for both sides of the ball, right, Like I remember when Chip Kelly showed up at Oregon and everybody was like, why aren't we all doing this?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: Like what this is changing football? Like the tempo, the speed, the run game, and then these explosive passes off of it. They're they're losing the time of possession, you know, contest by twenty five minutes, and yet they're scoring seventy points. What's going on? And why isn't USC doing this? And and I think you know, the point that was brought up was in Chip set and he's like, well, I don't have those players, you know, don't I don't have the five stars from southern California. I'm at this is before Oregon became the powerhouse, right. He's like, I'm in Oregon. I got two stars and three stars, and I'm convincing guys to move from southern California to a place where it rains three hundredays a year. He's like, so, yeah, we gotta have the system, like on defense and on offense, charge's got dogs Like on that defense, cut the dogs loose, like, don't worry about having the perfect scheme and the perfect play. And it's like you got Keenan Allen, and you got Justin Herbert, and you got Austin Eckler and you got you know, just let's get a little bit. I don't know, I don't know if that makes sense, but like to me, it's like, let's be more. Let's be more Alabama and let's be less Oregon. Like let's let's say we got the best players. You know, we're gonna go out there and play football and you're not gonna be able to keep up with us because we're just better. We're just better. And so I'd like to see a little bit more of that, if it makes sense. I'm gonna throw this ball to Austin Eckler on a smoke route and I know your linebacker standing right there, but guess what he's gonna miss. And then the safety's gonna try to tackle him. He's gonna truck him, and it's gonna be a twelve yard game. Like I want to see more of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, going back to Austin like, why do you think we're not seeing the dump offs to Austin? Why do you think we're not you know, because we go back to his resume, you know, before the season started, thirty eight total touchdowns over two years. He was a touchdown machine. He was a reception machine. And we were expecting maybe those those touches or those receptions to maybe go down a little bit because we expected Justin to be a little bit more vertical. But right now, like it looks like they're not even attempting them, and I just that has to change. Against the Chicago Bears, and you know, I know that there's no Cory Lindsay, but the running game outside of Joshua Kelly was just you know, after that run, there has to be a consistent running game. And you know some people could say, oh, well, you know, running game doesn't matter. It does matter. It does matter because time of possession, your defense doesn't have to be on the field all game, and to be balanced is a good thing. So I'd like to see the Chargers get some sort of running game going because money, I feel like every single year we talk about who's the compliment to Austin, right, and sometimes it's Joshua, sometimes it's not. And now we're seeing Austin, you know, put up two point eight or three point one yards of pop since his return, and I just there needs to be a consistent presence there, man, And I don't know when we're gonna see it. I hope we see it on Sunday night.
Speaker 3: So here, I'm just pulling up the second half against the Chiefs, right and this, you know, you bring up the running game. So on the drive after the fumble that you know the Chiefs opened up with, they get the ball, they get it all the way down to the Kansas City nine right, first and ten, Austin Eckler five yards, first and ten, you get a Justin Herbert pass to Keenan Allen nineteen yards. Next, first and ten, Austin Eckler three yards, first and goal, Austin Eckler one yard. What stands out there to you? First and ten, Keenan Allen nineteen yards. Gotta start throwing the ball on first down, you know, and it's just like next possession, Austin Eckler five yards. You know, then they ran out. This was the one where they had the three and out with three straight run plays. So next possession, you know, first and ten incomplete pass and then you had a penalty and it was a just unraveled from there. But like I think, and I think keen I think the Kellen is trying to do that right, He's trying to mix it up. But what I think you have to do is let's try to find those those defense beating plays on first down. I think that's what they really need to find in the passing game, those quick slants to to to Quinton. You know that we know how how badly Keenan can can break guys up, you know, can break guys down and bust them up on routes like, let's get some of those. Let's just mix those in again to get that defense on its heels. So like that, that to me is the way to try to open up the running game is let's let's make sure we're not running on first down, you know, as as much as and and look, I don't have the breakdowns and may not have it right, you know, I took a small sample size there, but it did feel like they were running a lot on first down. And I'd love to Yeah, I'm looking at here's the here's the field goal drive. Their first score of the game, Kelly up the middle for two on a first down Davis left end.
Speaker 1: No gain.
Speaker 3: Uh, there's a okay, So here you go first and ten Herbert deep pass left to Keenan Allen for twenty six yards. It's like, let's let's you know, let's get a little more of that going, you know. And I think that's how you open up the run game, Chris is, because they're not going to honor play action. They're they're playing. Look, they're they're not afraid of passes downfield, they're just not. So they're not going to commit resources there. So they're gonna play with heavy boxes and you're running into heavy boxes and it's not easy. And we saw that last year, right just because the explosive plays weren't there. Now it's tough to push the ball downfield with Mike Williams gone, and that's what's changed a lot, right with him down, So you've got to try to find You've got to try to find those plays.
Speaker 2: I thought Joshua Palmer played great. His injury status right now, keep an eye on that, Gerald Everett, keep an eye on that, because that's gonna definitely dictate what they do and what the game plan could be on Sunday night. You flip it to the Chicago offense and you know we we mentioned beij it, but they found something in this running game. It's amazing to me that Deontay Foreman it took him this long to actually get forman involved based on what he did in Carolina last year. One hundred and twenty total yards, three total touchdowns against the Raiders last week, and that was a beatdown man, I mean thirty to twelve a Raiders team coming off a couple of wins too, going to Chicago, getting beat by a rookie quarterback and just getting abused by the running game. Deontay Foreman, five point six a pop. You mentioned Dj Moore. Dj Moore had two hundred and thirty yards against the Commanders a few thursdays ago. Any step they said, he stepped out of bounds on another one that was going to be a touchdown. So just do the math on the night that DJ Moore had and what he could have had uh against the Commanders. Those are the two weapons that have to be slowed and stopped, uh Foreman. And you mentioned DJ Moore earlier, but Deontay Foreman is another another guy that that's kind of emerging for Chicago these last couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: I think I want to say, outside of Christian McCaffrey with San Francisco, nobody had more rushing yards from the time of that trade. Foreman had the second most to McCaffrey. That's how effective he was. For Steve Wilkes, yeah, in Carolina, and this was the first time he really got a crack at it, you know, with with the injuries to to Khalil Herbert and and everything that that that Chicago's been going through.
Speaker 1: They ran the ball. They ran the ball well.
Speaker 3: Last year they're all they're on line does not pass block well, but they run blocked pretty darn well. So the one thing that's interesting about this year right is for the Sids, Brandon Staley showed up and so this is the worst run defense in the in the league. Run defense pretty good. Now, you know the run defense specifically because of Tully, you know, because you have Khalil Mack on one edge, and Tully has said, I'm just learning at the altar of Khalil Mack. So you've got all of that power at the other edge. And I think you've seen how much more effective they've been against the run. So that that's look, they've got us. They don't want Tyson Bagent throwing the ball thirty times in this game. They want him throwing it, you know, seventeen to twenty one times, and you know, for first downs on third and three and third and fours. So that's what they're that I would assume that's what what coach Eberfluce wants to do. So you got to slow down for him for sure. I mean, he's, like you said, he's got a couple of touchdowns last week. Not having justin fields and that threat to run when things break down is such a huge advantage for the Chargers. Like to have someone that's not quite capable of that type of running and that type of athleticism is a big win for them. So the thing about the Raiders defense is not good, you know, and that's why the Chargers put up twenty four in the first half. They should have put up forty points in that game, and for whatever reason, their offense just shut down. So we know, yeah, the Chargers are capable of putting that out. The Miami defense is not good and they put up over thirty points. The Vikings defense is not good and they put up over thirty points, so we know they've been able to get after defenses that aren't great. Cowboys defense is great. The Chiefs defense it's pretty damn good. It's it's pretty damn good to great this season it has been so this Bears defense is okay, it's okay. So, and let's not forget they had Brian Hoyer starting at quarterback. It was really thirty to six. That last touchdown was was a throwaway, you know, down thirty six with no time left. Aidan O'Connell gets putting into a game and you know he's just dinking and dunking down the field because they're playing you know, soft coverage in that moment. But just I want to bring this up for yeah, because you know what family trust respect, right, Yeah, Brian Hoyer has not want to start.
Speaker 1: He's last. Yeah, he does not want to start.
Speaker 2: What are they doing? Like, like, listen, this is an a Raiders podcast that work, right, Why aren't you starting Aidan O'Connell in that game?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: You may win that game.
Speaker 3: The guy, the guy has not want to start in like three years, four years, five years, six years, whatever it is and you're starting him.
Speaker 1: What do you expect to get out of that?
Speaker 3: So like that's you know, that's something to take into consideration. You know, do I think the Bears are a threat?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Do I think They're a severe threat. Now, the Chargers better win this game. They better win this game, and I'd like to see them win it in decisive fashion, so you know, they can get some rest, they'll have that extra day. It's it's funny, right, We're gonna play three primetime games in four weeks, two Monday nighters and a Sunday. It's like, let's let's remind the country how special Herbert is in primetime and how much fun and why this team got six primetime games in the first place. As you know, we're now going to get our second and third of the six after this. Remember we still have a Sunday night against the Ravens, a Saturday night against the Bills, and a Thursday night against the Raiders on top of the Monday night or a week from you know, in week nine against the Jets. So it's a perfect opportunity for them to remind everyone. Yeah, there's a reason why. There's there's a reason why the Chargers are in primetime and this is a perfect game to do that.
Speaker 2: A couple of things before we get out of here. I want you to find Tyson Bagen's father and arm wrestle him in the radio pregame and we tape it. That's what I like to see if Justin producer Justin can make that happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get him in the boot.
Speaker 3: It looked like it would look like let's name of the super hell Boy. His arm compared to mine would be like the red arm of hell Boy, and he just rip it off and beat me over.
Speaker 1: The head with it.
Speaker 3: Although I'll say this over the top, wildly underrated cable classic film was stallone, centered around professional arm rush wrestling as he's seeking to win a tractor a semi rig in the arm Wrestling Championships in Las Vegas, while also getting back custody of his son from his evil father in law, who I believe is Robert Losha. So there we go.
Speaker 1: There's a little I'm wrestling fun for you.
Speaker 2: Chargers. Fis watched that movie before.
Speaker 1: It really is great.
Speaker 3: It really is as good of a you know, terrible in the theaters, But you know what, it's cable. It's three o'clock. I just get home from school. I'm gonna I'm gonna clock in here and get a cool probably eighty three Minutes's maby.
Speaker 1: What that movie was?
Speaker 3: You know, all the montages, like five or six montages in there.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good. It's peak Sly. It is Peak Sly.
Speaker 2: Final thing charges too and four. You mentioned this before the Cowboys game and you said, listen, we had two Super Bowl contending teams up in the Cowboys and the Chiefs. If you drop to two and four, again, it's not ideal. It's far from ideal in terms of winning the AFC West. But you said you and DJ were talking about the schedule down the stretch, Bears, then Jets, then home for the Lions, Packers, and then a huge showdown with the Ravens on Sunday Night football. So we're gonna give fans a glimmer of hope right now if you can get these next two and get to four and four, confidence going into a game against the Lions, a big game against the Lions, going to Lambeau against a struggling Packers team. And then right now the Ravens are playing fantastic good and they're in the conversation for one of the best teams in the AFC, So what has showed done? That's going to be But you know what, for for as poorly as the season has started, there's hope. But you have to win Sunday to get to Monday night.
Speaker 3: No doubt, no doubt. It's a good stretch we thought. I think I think realistically, if you were being realistic, you were like, Okay, four and two would be great. I can see three and three, you know, I can see the path for three and three here. If things don't, if things go bad, three and three is what we're looking at. You know, it's the loss to Tennessee that has got this sour taste in our mouth. If this team is three and three and you're like, all right, you lose. You know, they shootout with Miami, you know, you lose a street fight with the Cowboys, you had to go to Kansas City. They're on a mini BI, you're on a short week. All right, we're three and three. So that's I think important to keep in perspective is it's really one game. To me, I would have been able. I could envision a three and three path and it's like, Okay, you're three and three. Now let's flip that switch. Now you got Bears, Jets, Lions, Packers, Ravens after the Ravens as Patriots. I think in New England it's like, this is where you got to flip that switch and go and this is how you get to nine ten wins and try to punch your ticket. It's this part of the season right here, because I think the Broncos are in this stretch. The Raiders are in this stretch, you know, over the next eight games before we get you know, to the final three. So that to me is it's important for them to start this thing off and not just with a win, but with a convinced playing complimentary, excellent football in all three phases. Is I think important to come out of this game.
Speaker 2: You need your first convincing win of the year. Right So I think as breathe a little bit and be like, okay, good, you know, this is what the team should look like, you know, in primetime against a struggling Bears team. Chargers are favorites in their next four games right now as we sit here, So it's an opportunity to gain some hay and just kind of see what happens. You know, we've seen, you know, everybody kind of wrote the Vikings off. Guess what the Vikings are getting back in the playoffs in the NFC right now after beating the Night or the exactly, you know, and they could beat the Chargers and they be in the playoffs right now. So we tend to say must win. I do think that last Sunday Money was it was a must win for the AFC West. I think the AFC West is gonna be very difficult to win, to win right now. But as far as the AFC, everybody's kind of jumbled up and there's all takes a few weeks to get hot. So all right, that's gonna do it for us. Always appreciate you guys listening, watching on on YouTube for money. I'm Chris. We'll see you next week.