Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Morning, everybody is stej Envy Charlomagne, the god.
Speaker 1: We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: We got our guest co host Lorla Rosa head and we got a special guest.
Speaker 1: On the line, Attorney Benjamin Crump.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Hey, good morning, Envy Charlemagne. Always good to see your kings. Lauren, good morning.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Attorney Crump.
Speaker 5: Attorney Ben Crump, he's here. You know. Ben Crump is always on the front lines. Man and man, there's this really sad story coming out of Jackson, Mississippi about Dexter Wade. You know, thirty seven year old Dexter Wade. He left his mom's house on March fifth, twenty twenty three, and didn't return home.
Speaker 1: And let him break it down. Let him break it down. What happens? I want to tell who the story? Ish he gonna tell him the fact so he knows the facts.
Speaker 5: I would get to that, but let me at least do the headline. His mother, Burden Bettterestine Wade, said she reported and missing on March fourteenth and didn't know he was deceased until August twenty fourth. What happened there with the Crump.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Charlemagne, You're exactly right. It's tragic. This brother goes missing, he gets hit, we now know by our police call from the Jackson, Mississippi Police, and his mother reports him missing about a week later, and they know because he has medication in his pocket. The coroner calls the police department and say his next of kin and his mother, and they do not contact her until a NBC reporter does an exhaustive investigative report, and almost seven months later, she's finally taken to a barrier ground for poor, unknown people in destitute who the city pays. So what it says to me, Charlemagne, in for out At best, it's gross mouth feasans. At worst, this was intentional because his mother absolutely believes the Jackson Police Department knew who her and her family were because two years later, I'm sorry, two years before they sued for her brother being killed by the Jackson Police Department.
Speaker 5: Her brother was killed by the police department as well.
Speaker 3: He was he was body slammed and died. The officers were charged right now there in the civil litigation. So his mother absolutely believed they knew who she were she was, so.
Speaker 5: Did they think this was some type of retaliation for her winning the lawsuit or revenge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well she thinks that it was a conspiracy Charlemagne, and that's why she's so broken hearted that her son was buried in the ground for seven months. And she's begging them because she's like, who else you call when your person, your loved one is missing, other than the police. And so even though she was suing them, I'm still a citizen of Jackson, Mississippi. You all still have to protect and serve us. But it's just tragic upon tragic. And as I was talking to tesslim figure out she was talking about a lot of people are saying that we should make sure he's exhumed and have a proper funeral. So a lot of people, Revenew and Benny Thompson, the congressman there, all reaching out now saying what can we do to try to give this young man some dignity and respect? And what I'm saying is what can we do to make sure there's accountability and justice so they don't do this again?
Speaker 1: Now, what's the protocol? Usually?
Speaker 2: Now we're talking to Attorney Benjamin Crump. If you're just joining us, what's the proper protocol. Usually when somebody's hit and they're killed, they're take it to the coroner's office, so there is actual like there's paperwork to say where this body was. So this is an opening shutcase, right, because this is a lead, right.
Speaker 3: You know, I absolutely think it's an opening shut case. Envy, But when you're dealing with the police in America, y'all, and black people dying in highly suspicious, controversial manners, nothing.
Speaker 1: Is clear cut.
Speaker 3: We have to fight for justice at every point, every turn. And I am waiting Charlemagne to see what their story is. You know, they don't have an official response.
Speaker 4: Ship I was gonna ask you, what are they saying, Like, how are they explaining this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the mayor said, obviously there was a great miscommunication there. But we have the Mississippi Bureau of Investigations. They said it's gonna do an investigation, but I don't really trust them as much. I think we're gonna have to do our own parallel investigation. We may have to get the fairs to come in because man, if this was your law born and you had a lawsuit against the city and they didn't tell you about they had a coccident with your son who was a pedestrian, and then they buried him in an unknown funeral cemetery and then say, just give us the benefit of the doubt. Who in America would say no, no, we're going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Because every day I go in courtrooms across America, I see black people who, if you take him at that word, made mistakes, but they never get the benefit of the dot. It's always no, no. We gotta make sure we amster justice and have accountability because we got to send the message. I think Jackson, Mississippi, there needs to be a message sent over Dexter Way for his family, his two little children, his mother, all these people for seven months. Can you imagine the agony of not knowing where your son is, where your father is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we say nobody's above the law, but it always seems like the law is above the law. Because I don't understand how this is legal. I feel like this should be criminal off top.
Speaker 4: Just just the fact that she had to look for her son for all of that time and he knew exactly what was going on. I have a question for you, though, So if the body is exhumed, I know that they're talking about possibly doing that just for a proper funeral for the family. Is it too late to do and like you know, in your separate investigation, additional autopsy, like cause you know, the longer you wait, things get different.
Speaker 3: Now that's a great question, Lauren. In fact, Colin Kaepernick's group institute we've worked a lot on doing independent autopsies, and to his credit, he has done almost a dozen with my law firm where I remember the case in Georgia with a bed buck infestation kept the brother in the jail. Colin stepped up and offered to pay for that autopsy. And so I know his people are already talking about doing that here. But one of the things we gotta do, we got to go get a court petition to exhume the body, because you just can't go dig up about it without getting permission from the court. So my office is gonna have to jump through some hoops. But we do intend on getting an independent all tops and having a proper funeral for this young man so his children would know that his life mattered, and hopefully, you know, Jackson, Mississippi, would know that they can't sweep this under the rug because had that mother given up. Charlemagne Envy, it would have just been swept under the rug like it didn't matter. But that lady kept saying, somebody knows what happened to my child.
Speaker 2: Now, Tourny Benjamin Cruk, What about cameras? Right, We talked so much about cameras being on police officers, so they had to move the body. We talked so much about dashboard cameras on the police call, so that would have seen him actually got hit.
Speaker 1: Do we have any of that footage? Now? Was it erased or how does that look?
Speaker 3: You know, dj Envy, they're supposed to have dash cam videos on their car. I would suspect what they're going to try to defend or articulate is they didn't have their emergency cameras on their flashing lights since our range, so that the dash cam video would not have come on. But we're going to look at every aspect of it. Certainly, when they hit them somebody body cameras should have been put on or something. We should be able to see what happened to this brother. And we understand that he died from the injuries from the co accident. We are not even sure if they took him to the hospital. He may have been dead on a rival when the ambulance got there.
Speaker 5: Just a couple more questions, mister Cubo won really how often do independent autopsy's changed the course of cases?
Speaker 3: Oh, Charlamagne is so important. Anybody who can afford it. If there's a deaf and custody case, I implore you to please get an independent autopsy because you cannot trust the medica examiner or the coroner, the local coroner because they worked with the police every day. It's like the prosecutors work with the police every day, So there's an implicit bias in favor of trying to help craft the narrative that best and his most advantageous to the police narrative. What the police want to probably say here, Charlamagne, is that we didn't know it was uh, you know.
Speaker 1: We did everything we could.
Speaker 3: We just didn't know who the young man was and all this stuff, and then we didn't see need to get an autopsy or if we got an autopsy. They're gonna try to craft it where it helps the Jacksonville police not be charged with homicide. They're gonna try to make it some easier charge. If we get charges at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, a question for you. You know we could keep going on day Yeah, yeah, please when do the funeral?
Speaker 5: MV.
Speaker 3: Charlamagde think I'll always Lord and tell my sister Tessling figure I said, what's up.
Speaker 5: Absolutely definitely will all right with the history of Mississippi. It's no telling how many missing black people just buried somewhere in Mississippi, is.
Speaker 2: Right, Very sad, Lord, very sad. All right, when we come back, we got your room of reports.
Speaker 1: You don't move. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning. Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club