Speaker 1: Lute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to soft web Radio Special Operations, Military Nails and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Welcome to another wonderful episode of soft Rep Radio. I am the host with the most My name is Rad and I have a wonderful guest today. But first, before I introduce you to this for marine, I want to tell you about our merch store.
Speaker 2: All right, So we got a merch store.
Speaker 3: You guys have been purchasing stuff out of there, you know, like the cool flashlights, the shirts, all the sweats, the beanies. I think there's a hatchet with our name on it. Please keep going with that because it keeps me doing this and bringing cool entertainment and value to you while you listen. The other thing is to make you smarter. It's reading books. And we have the soft Rep book Club and it's soft rep dot com Forward slash book hyphen Club. That's right, book hyphen Club. Live it, learn it, Love it, book hyphen Club. Go check it out, get in the book club and you might just find my next guest. Author Mile Legosi whistles from the graveyard right here and let's welcome him to soft Rep.
Speaker 2: Welcome.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: You know, we were talking just before show Confirman Marine Corps. And tell me a little bit about you know this young Miles who's like sixth grade?
Speaker 2: What's going on in your head in sixth grade?
Speaker 4: Man? Sixth grade?
Speaker 2: He's through it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: What was it? That was? That's what nine to eleven happened? Actually I was in sixth grade, yeah, and I remember. But what do you mean, like specifically, what were you doing in life? Bro?
Speaker 3: What was your goals? Because it probably was not to be an author? Miles Legosi?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 2: What's going on in seventh grade?
Speaker 3: Dude?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Were you struggling in school?
Speaker 3: Because the people that are going to listen to this, the guys like you, the kids that are fifteen, What were you up to? Man?
Speaker 2: What made you this badass today that we're going to talk about?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I wasn't at fifteen and sixth grade. That would have been freshman year. But I think I didn't get into my head that I wanted to go to war until I was about sixteen or seventeen. And yeah, it just really it had to do with like a feeling of emptiness, you know, a kind of aimlessness.
Speaker 3: I knew I didn't want to go.
Speaker 4: To college like everybody else. I wanted to film the war. And I saw Fullmela Jacket about thirty times, and I saw that, you know, you could the main character was essentially what my job was. I saw that you could just join the Marines and they'll give you a camera and then you to war.
Speaker 2: Stars and Stripes. H you wanted to be in Stars and Stripes? Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Basically, yeah, make that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the reason why I want to ask that is because you know, I like to get into no. Yeah, I've never really met you, and I'm just trying to you know, we want to talk about Whistles from the Graveyard, of course, which is the book that took you to where we're at today, but going through Afghanistan and combat and everything that you had to deal with. But you know, at fifteen sixth grade, fifteen junior high you know, high schooler, starting to get your learners permit, and you're like, there's a sense of emptiness, but there's something had to happen between sixth grade and that to have emptiness, right, there had to be like, do you have a good structure at home?
Speaker 2: Mom and Dad were there for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good structure at home. I just felt like I was kind of like holding Coffield type, you know, catch on the Rise, sort of just everyone thought everyone was phony, everything was fake. There wasn't really and I don't think there still is really a way for young boys, especially to test themselves. And basically that's so, you know, the main reason I joined it wasn't It wasn't really out of like patriotism or desire to serve or anything like that. I mean, for a lot of guys that's the case, but I think the number the main issue is that they are The main impetus for people to join is to get the shit kicked out of them and to get tested. Basically.
Speaker 2: And when you turned seventeen eighteen, and did the recruiter come to you at your high school or did you go to them and say, you know, I want to be the blade on the tip of the sphere of the military and become a marine.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, so I know I was going to join. I went to high school in Manhattan. They had five thousand kids in a building that looked like a prison. Basically, you know, caged windows. And I was like one of two white kids in my high school, and of course the recruiters like to target minority kids and whatnot. And I go over there and he's like, how come the only white boy in the school is the one signing up? So anyway, yeah, that was it. And then like as soon as I graduated high school, they put me on a bus and I ended up, yeah, in Paris Islands.
Speaker 3: Paras Islic because you're east of the Mississippi, so you would go to Paras Island for your recruitment and you know, they call you a boot there recruit Is that what happens when you get there? Or they call you the do they know how to say your last name correctly?
Speaker 4: They call you all kinds of things, mostly bitch mostly yeah. You know, your mouth is the cum dumpster open.
Speaker 2: You know, everything it's just coming at you.
Speaker 4: Everything takes on a new term. You know, at first you kind of think like it's us against the drill instructors, right, you know, like we stick together, we can kind of make it through together. And within about a week, I'd say everyone was was against each other and had developed an extreme form of Stockholm syndrome. You know, where they were were kind of like in love with our drill instructors and couldn't stand each other, you know what I mean, that's stock That's how Stockholm syndrome works, you know. So that's that's basically what how boot Can't functions basically is a form of brainwashing but also mass punishment. Right, so if one person sucks up, just like in Full Metal Jack, one person fucks up, everyone else get just punished and that person has to watch basically, right, and so they develop a fear in you of letting down the tribe, you know, letting down the group, you know, And that's kind of how the whole system functions. That's how it's been functioning, functioning, and probably the dawn of war, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sticks and stones stick together, two people, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's yeah. There is always like that camaraderie that is instilled. But I get what you're saying, where all of a sudden they be there's this term called drill privates or you know, like they're not the drill instructor. They're just like every day they maybe they now want to be they see the drill instructor, Like why not choose that job, the power job, the job over me.
Speaker 2: Right now, you know, And they're like, I want to be that guy.
Speaker 3: I want to walk in and be like say hello in fifty different ways, but mean fifty different things.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think you'd have to be insane to be a drill instructor, those guys, so that you have to go through there's boot camp, right, and then if you want to be a drill instructor, you have to go through like another form of boot camp to become a boot camp, perfect boot camp. And yeah, those guys are nuts. I mean, it's all it's all a mormans, but god damn, some of them could really some of them could really act. You know. I actually thought they wanted to kill us sometimes. Yeah, but yeah, it's all a performance. You know.
Speaker 3: Did you get your name read out just like in full metal Jacket and like, uh Snowball and three eleven Infantry.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, they called me. They called me a word I can't say on the air. But yeah, if you read the.
Speaker 3: Book, it's in the book and we won't give you a spoilers. Yeah, this book doesn't hold back. Dude. He didn't really hold back yet, just said what you felt and how it was. You know, I got to the point where you went over and sat next to a dude sitting with his rifle like he was praying to the and he was just like, I don't even want to know this guy.
Speaker 4: Well, I just didn't expect them to give us rifles. On the first day. I was like, because you know, I grew up in the city, I never shot guns or anything, and I'm being handed an M sixteen at like five or six in the morning, just you know, just after getting off you know, the bus, Like holy shit, man, no joke.
Speaker 3: Like, no joke.
Speaker 2: They're just like, this is what you're here for.
Speaker 3: What you're here for exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then you go through basic, you get a sign to photography. You've got to stick with that. Is that correct?
Speaker 4: That is correct? I thought I had a two year contract, but it turns out that that doesn't exist, So I end up with that. I end up with sigh. It was extra year tacked on because they because of the camera school. Okay, and basically it's just like a crash course. Actually on it's on for me. The school which is where the NSA is. Think Snowden was there while I was there, and Yeah. Basically it's just like a crash course in uh propaganda, like how to sort of put together a video package that was showing like our whole mission at when was it two thousand and eight when Obama's troop surge started, right, the whole mission of combat camera was to show that we were transitioning out and we're going to give like they wanted a lot of imagery of the Afghan National Army, the soldiers that we were working with, you know anyway, so our job was to kind of show that these guys could could take over after we left, and we all saw how that that didn't go too well.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah in Iraq, right, Afghanistan? Oh, Afghanistan, Yeah, yeah, because like you were kind of Iraq was going on as well at the same time, because we didn't pull out of there until two thousand and nine. So I'm not trying to get confused on your theater of operations, but you were surging up in Afghanistan while they were cut withdrawing in Iraq.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Iraq was kind of dwindling down. I mean, we had the whole country was in a civil war, which we started basically right.
Speaker 2: We went, Yeah, we.
Speaker 4: We fucked it up.
Speaker 2: And we're kind of like as politicians for you though, bro.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know, the soldiers have to take credit to you know, it's it's a volunteer army. It's not like we were drafted or anything, right, Right. And everyday citizens are complicit too, because their tax money goes to fund these wars. Now, I've often kind of toyed with the idea of if there was a draft, like if there was like if we were like Russia or another country Korea where you have to have mandatory service for two years or whatever. I wonder if that might actually prevent us from having more getting more involved in these wars, right, because everybody's kid would be on the on the shopping block, right, yeah, and every politicians kid would be would it would have to go serve and all that. And at the same time, I think it might even you know how divided the country is, you know, by bringing in like you know, liberal kids and right wing kids.
Speaker 2: And let flat feet people serve.
Speaker 3: Don't give them an out, you know, make sure that people with flat feet don't get to use it as an excuse or spurs you know, like make sure that those people aren't pussing out and just you know, calling their daddies with all their money and just getting out of conscription. You know what I'm saying, because why does one get the other you know, labels right labels, whether they're liberal or their conservative or there.
Speaker 2: You know, uh, I'm.
Speaker 4: Saying it would put it. Military does introduces you to a whole bunch of kids that you would never you know, interact with other.
Speaker 3: See, that's right.
Speaker 4: I think there there's just such a divide right now because we're in our bubbles and all that. If we're you know, if there was like a mandatory shirt and I'm not you know, I'm not you know, I'm not advocating for them. I'm just kind of toying with the idea.
Speaker 3: Sure it might actually.
Speaker 4: You'd have kids with you know, Southern kids, Northern kids all together, kind of seeing that they're not really that all that different. You know, it's just politics like politics and that and that. You know, we're all human beings basically.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I mean, that is true. We are. We are all human beings.
Speaker 4: Political beliefs aside. You know, we're still you know, we're still the same in a lot.
Speaker 3: Of ways, still neighbors, We're still you know, we still sit down to go to the bathroom or stand up or whatever, the same one leg on a time with your pants, if you got legs. But everybody's got something to say about some analogy. What about us, We don't have legs? Well, you put your shirt on one arm at a time. Oh, you don't got no arms or legs? Are you the Metallica video of one Come to Life or what? Bro Huh?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Jeez? So you were you joined in like two thousand and seven, two thousand and seven, that right, yeah, two thousand and eight. Yeah, so that's when you were eighteen, because you were mentioning nine to eleven was when you were in sixth grade. And so your combat photography courses, I'm really interested in the f stop life that you learned there.
Speaker 2: And uh, do you use auto focus? Are you a manual guy? Today?
Speaker 4: Today?
Speaker 3: Today? Today?
Speaker 4: No, I wouldn't use auto focus, but when I was in Afghanistan, I did, yeah, just because when you're getting shot at, it's kind of you don't want to be like.
Speaker 3: Hold the button.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got you, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And I even had a what's it called? Uh? I think I had auto the auto light onto, So like if I were going into you know, if we're we're outside and then we would go into someone's mud hut or house, you know, auto exposure would come on. I was not I was not like the best cameraman, i'd say, but I knew what to film. You know, it's not really like the camera the camera working combat of the spirit is not it's not great. It's very shaky. You could tell him like nineteen years old. But it's what it's the kind of access that I had to these kids, you know that like a civilian journalists wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Have, you know, right, yeah, right, you're getting you're taking photos of things that go back to be looked at and put into dossier's, you know.
Speaker 2: And so I would imagine, no.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, there's well, oh.
Speaker 2: You can't just post everything, you know.
Speaker 4: No, No, no, I was. I was. I was secret secretly, but I had my you know, I had my job just to make bullshit. It was just to perpetuate the lie that the war was working and we were we were going to win and we the Afghan or movie is gonna you know, defeat the Taliban once we left, and then I would film guys smoking ash sheish and opium while getting shot at, you know, out so it was like that dichotomy. But obviously that the hasheesh would not go to my I would not send that to my superiors.
Speaker 3: Sure, can I ask you what kind of camera that you were running? Do you want to say the brand? Was it a cannon?
Speaker 4: I can't actually for legal purposes?
Speaker 3: Oh say huh, yeah, Oh that's cool, And that's cool. That's okay. I've just always heard that you take a can into battle. Yeah, right, jokingly, Nikon, that's cool. I'll say their names, you know, we'll give them all out there, We'll give them the pentax.
Speaker 4: What's up the whole well, the whole reason, you know, the Marine Corps was trying to assume me their whole basis because I had none of the footage was classified. But their whole argument was.
Speaker 3: What camera were you using?
Speaker 4: Was it our camera? Like? That's how that was like a propriet cherry legal argument that they had It wasn't. It wasn't that the footage was classified. It was good. The footage belongs to the public domain, right if you're if you're filming for the government, as long as it's yeah true. Their whole argument was you know, I was interiorated by n CIS and they were like, which camera were using, which what kind of came whose camera were using? You know, because if they were saying, if you were using our government equipment and technically it belongs to us.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm. So well that's like saying your eyeballs in your brain because your government equipment.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: So like, you know, I don't know about that. You know, I get it.
Speaker 3: They might have offered you a soda pop to get your fingerprints in that suration you want to mountain dew.
Speaker 4: It's the right, but you literally are government property.
Speaker 3: Correct, Because I was joking with my dad right at the VA one time and he was wearing his he was checked in for the hospital for getting some surgery, and it said property of the US government with a barcode. And I said, Dad, I thought you retired, you know, I thought you said you were retired.
Speaker 2: He's like, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: And I said, well look, and I pull a shirt back and says property US government. And he looks at me like what do you do?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I love going to I love seeing the old timers at the VA. You know, they're pretty wide.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well that's that's us saying, well, the young timers need to go to the VA because otherwise they're going to be the old timers and they won't have the energy to go to the VA, and then they'll be like, you know, their wives will be pushing them in the wheelchairs with no energy. And these young timers have all of the care to go there, and they have the ability right now while they're in a younger age to go get their ailments and whatnot looked at. And I'm a big proponent to go get yourself taken care of. You know, whether you're going to get a colonoscopy at forty forty five years old, or you've got some issues going on and you think you're too young, or it's not affecting you to go to you don't want to go to the VA because it's old timers, you know what I mean. It's it's there's a real thing. It's like, go get yourself taken care of if you need it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but no, but it is funny to like see the difference that you know, the Vietnam generation guys that are now, like you said, getting wheeled around, Yeah, you know, get into arguments with the police because there's a heavy police presence at the vas, you know, because we're all fucking nuts, and yeah, I have some kind of protection against the doctors and whatnot. It's just interesting to see that that generational divide, you know, and that's that's what I perhaps to look forward to think.
Speaker 3: You know, it's true. I was listening to the nurses station, just kind of over listening to the nurses, and they are calling them all these different code names, and I was like, what are you guys saying over here? I was my dad was in the room, and I was like, what's the wws. She's like, oh, those are our World War two vets, and then we have the vs and and so they call them ww's the vs and all these different categories of who's in right now. And I just looked at her like, oh, you guys just are filing them away as ww's and vts and you know, Afghany and like you know, or whatever the case is, Iraq, you know, the war zone of the theater that these guys have gone through. And it just kind of sat with me, like, geez, you know, as you hear there's no more ww's left, you start thinking that there's not going to be vts. And and then it just keeps on going down that line. You know, because when I was going to the VA at a younger age, it was the World War two guys and the Koreans that were starting to get wheeled around, you know, when my dad was starting to go in the early nineties. And so to see that, I agree. You know, I've sat in the smoking shack. I've heard the stories from five different sailors tell this story five times about Kracking, that they all killed at five different locations.
Speaker 4: Everybody's got a war story, even the guys, right, even some of the guys you never went to war.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. That Krack has been killed five times by five different guys at five different locations. You know, one time the cracking came and got me, you see, and guys like, but what about the time it got me. Now you're getting ncis coming at you. You know, you got the Marines. You know, everybody's saying, hey, you stop, stop, what why are they what's up? Man?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: What's your first thoughts when they're like, why are they coming at you?
Speaker 4: I first thought was a shit, I need a lawyer. And then it took me really really long time to find a lawyer who because it was such a it was unprecedented. No one had ever made a film with like government footage, right, No one had ever really done that. The only other instance was at I think was the Mila massacre in Vietnam, which was photographed by combat camp. So that that was a.
Speaker 3: Soldier who yeah, where the general shot the dude in the street, right.
Speaker 4: No, not that one. The masacre in my life, they basically killed I think three hundred women and you know children, And there were the photographs that were taken were by combat like a soldier, you know, whose whose job was this film? And so there was the whole thing with that was you know who was can we release these photo as well as their government property and blah blah blah. But it's not classified. It's a war crime. And so eventually I was in that same boat where I was talking to military lawyers and they were kind of like scratching their heads like, yeah, I don't know, this is a gray area. I'm not really sure what to tell you. And I finally eventually I was I was studying at Columbia University and I found this group called the Night Institute and these motherfuckers go hard. I mean they they they litigated the.
Speaker 5: Release of like Cie Black Sites in Afghanistan where people were getting poor Jared you know one, you know, abuses at one and then once I fell in with them and they took me on pro bono, I was like, yeah, I'm good, I'm good now.
Speaker 4: And uh, the Marine Corps basically realized they couldn't bleed me financially right by taking me to court, and they would just give more publicity to the film by doing that, So they eventually ACKed.
Speaker 2: Off, and uh, what's the progress with the film?
Speaker 4: What's the progress?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like, where where's that right now?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 3: Is it Whistles from the Graveyard based on this book that's new to me. I'm just learning about that from you.
Speaker 4: Oh oh yeah. No. The documentary is called Combat Obscura. It's on Combat Obscure Obscure a okay, Yeah, the book is kind of about the making of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, and I was getting into that. Yeah, so Combat Obscura the film that you put together, the documentary, and that that's out there to find on platforms everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we'll make sure that that's noted.
Speaker 4: On our anyone who uh, you know computer with internet?
Speaker 3: What a computer?
Speaker 4: What's that phone?
Speaker 3: That's a word.
Speaker 4: I don't watch on your phone. Please, don't watch it on your phone.
Speaker 3: I hate when people watch.
Speaker 4: Movies on their phones.
Speaker 2: That's that's great Combat obscura.
Speaker 3: I'll have to check that out, and we'll put a link in down below so that our viewers can go ahead and just click on it and check out. You know, the book, the video that you put together, documentary. I mean what I'm saying, I guess what's the progress is it? Is it a sun dance thing? Is this something that you've submitted to any festivals for you know, any type of Yeah, yeah, we did the.
Speaker 4: Whole festival circuit. I played France, Germany, Czech Republic, all over the US. Obviously in Germany the craziest shit happened. Yes, So the movies obviously pretty intense. You know, it's very graphic. There's a lot of blood, a lot of kids getting shot up. And at the end, my boy, my buddy, Jacob Leedy gets shot and there's this guy in the crowd and the audience and he just thinks he just clocks out on the floor. They shut down the film. The paramedics had to come and then afterwards I have to do a Q and A and I'm like, I was trying to kind of make like the guy was fine, right, he just fainted, right, But Germans, I don't know, if you've ever been to Germany, they don't really have much of a sense of humor.
Speaker 3: And so I've been to Ramstein, the band that's about as close to Germany so far.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they're great, and so I was kind of trying to make light of me, but they were not.
Speaker 3: They were not.
Speaker 4: They're not They're not having it.
Speaker 3: Crickets bro. Yeah, yeah, that's yeah. So just so it's got that effect on people. Yeah, you know, my dad talked about that with like Platoon back in the eighties. He didn't want to see it, you know, He's like, guys walked out of the theater on it because it was just so much of a muddy grind.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's but that's a Hollywood film. This is we're talking about real, real and just and seeing it on the big screen is pretty intense. Like I cod, the first time I saw it on the big screen, I kind of, you know, I had to walk out. I couldn't do it. It was just too loud.
Speaker 3: She need to mentally prepare herself to see it. It's just not like, yeah, it's a Sunday morning viewing. Yeah, I got green screen my cat into the every podcast. She seems I have my pencil, you see my David Letterman pencil, and so she's like, I want that pencil, my spine like she likes that whole like, yeah, interesting.
Speaker 4: And she likes to like, yeah, yeah, I got two of them myself.
Speaker 3: Oh good, we're going to get along. I think you already are.
Speaker 2: So where are you based out of right now? Where am I talking to you from?
Speaker 4: Oh little place called Los Angeles, California?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, and I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Speaker 4: Nice. Yeah, skiing a lot and.
Speaker 2: Snowboard all the time.
Speaker 3: In fact, my snowboards are just right against the wall, just right there waiting for two three weeks from.
Speaker 4: Now, snowboarding I ever did out there. Yeah, Trady can come boarding into the town, you know. I love that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, you can ski in and out of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: That is cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you should come out any time and hit me up.
Speaker 4: We'll go right yeah, just you know, buy me a flight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, breeze, breeze.
Speaker 3: Let me just give them a shout out, dude, twenty nine dollars one way from John Wayne to Salt Lake City, provo which is John Wayne?
Speaker 4: Which airport is it?
Speaker 2: John Wayne? I think is Orange County?
Speaker 3: Okay, But if you're talking realistic, it just takes you a minute to get Yeah, just get to John Wayne, fly out to Salt Lake City.
Speaker 2: It takes you thirty bucks one way, it's.
Speaker 3: Six two bucks around and then you get with the past.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll give you a red Oh yeah, that's true. I might know somebody though.
Speaker 3: You just never know. You can do it for cheap if you're me, you know how to play the system, if you know how to just like you know, use a coupon like the Beastie Boys.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, let's talk about what's from the graveyard, Like, what do you think is next? If you're going to write another book, you're going to have anything that's on your mind?
Speaker 4: What hopefully? Yeah, I'd like to write a novel next, but yeah, write.
Speaker 3: Something that's just something in your mind, like you have a you have characters and that you're gonna put out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it, but that is much harder. I think writing fiction is a lot harder than writing what happened, Yeah, because you're already you know, you're just writing down what happened, what you saw. You know, you know all the characters, you know their backstory because they're real people. And with fiction, that all has to be created out of center. You know.
Speaker 3: Let's read the back of your book here, I'm going to read this. At just eighteen years old, Miles Logozi joined the Marine Corps a decade after the war began and found himself surrounded by people not unlike those he'd left behind at home. Aimless youth searching for stability, community and economic security. Deployed to Afghanistan as a combat cameraman. An active duty videographer and photographer, Logozi produced slick images of glory and heroism for public consumption, but his government approved footage concealed a grim reality. Here, Logosi pulls back the curtain and illustrates the grizzly truth of the law longest war in American history. As these young men and women were deployed in an unfamiliar country half a world away History's graveyard of empires, they carried the scars of the fractured homeland that sent them. Legozi shows US marines straddling the edge of chaos. We see forces desensitized to gore and suffering by the darkest reaches of the Internet, unsure of their place in an unraveling world, and set further adrift by the uncertain mission to which they had been assigned abroad. Whistles from the Graveyard shows the parts of the Afghanistan War we were never meant to see. Afghan locals and American infantry, drawn together by their fears of the ghostly ever present terror of the Taliban, moments of dark resignation, and as the devastating toll of years in wars. Crossfire reveals itself between bouts of adrenaline laced violence and knights of reckless drug fueled abandoned to drug fueled, abandoned to dull the pain. Yeah why not? In full vivid color miles, Logozi shows us an overlook generation of young Americans we cast out into the desert, steeped in nihilism, and shift back home with first hand training in extremism, misenthropy, and insurrection. That's on the back of the book. I just wanted to read that for you, so you get an idea of what's in this book, what's going on with Miles. So Miles, you know, I like to talk about snowboarding. I like to talk about thrills before pills and getting out and doing something with yourself mentally. You know, we do talk about the VA and going there and then here's a prescription, go take this pill and all that kind of stuff. How does someone like you who's seen through lenses seeing things firsthand that didn't no one really sees. How are you coping with all of that? Is it snowboarding writing? Is that what you're doing?
Speaker 4: Well? I mean, for a long time it was just drinking. You know, I'm trying to cut back on that. But I'll tell you, like I didn't really feel it as much when I first got out, but the thing is, it comes back. I was just talking to a buddy of mine and he never you know, he he was getting disability for PTSD and he actually even you know, canceled it as if he said, no, I don't you know, I don't know PTSD can stop giving me a monthly checked you know for that. And then just recently, uh, he started having panic attacks, you know, so it's like it go, it goes away, and it comes, but it's always kind of there, you know, it comes and goes. I think especially during COVID when everyone, you know, everyone was locked down, that's when it was the hardest for me. It was because there wasn't really you just trapped with your own thoughts and and all that, you know.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and not not go out and talk to anybody. You're kind of like that certain amount. Yeah, it's just you and your headspace. Yeah, yeah, wow, somewhere deep in your mind, you know.
Speaker 4: And and also and also every you know, everyone was drinking during the day. I remember like just day drinking, doing drugs, you know, there were a lot of ods during COVID. Yeah, just being trapped with nothing to do, nowhere to go. On top of that, then the pull out from Afghanistan, and I think that I think that was very hard for a lot of veterans, you know, myself included.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to see what they were sent over for, to fight for, to just be abysmally just ended, like you know, just cut open a pool above ground pool, let the water just out.
Speaker 4: That's kind of how the well they knew, not a single fucking person I know who was in Afghanistan was actually in the ship like in the fucking war. Now, I'm not talking about like being on Bagram Air Base where they had like a TGI Fridays and the Starbucks and shit. We're talking about living like in the actual war. No one was surprised. No one was surprised by what happened. I mean, the quickness of it was surprised. It was. It was surprised me how quickly the Afghan Army just said, just surrendered and melted it. But at the same time, you got to understand they had been fighting the Taliban. So around twenty I want to say twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, don't quote me on that, but I think that's when we stopped actively like patrolling with the Afghan Army, you know, you know, kicking indoors with them and actually like you know, patrolling and getting taking fire and whatnot. Once we stopped doing that, their troops reached Vietnam casualty race. I mean, they were getting totally massacred by the Taliban because they didn't have US with them, they didn't have our air support, and so they had they were tired, man, they were fucking tired by the time Biden pulled us out, and so I think they were just like, what's the point.
Speaker 3: You know, Well, the accord was signed by Donald Trump in December. Yeah, that's what was signed. And he also invited the Taliban to Camp David. Yeah. Yeah, let's let's bring that up in perspective of what was left for the guy that came in to take over, because Biden wasn't. He was a civilian when all of that happened, right, and so it was just putting his lap to deal with and he had to. But I think what he said also is what you said also, is it just happened so quickly no one stood up to fight for their country.
Speaker 4: There there's no country.
Speaker 3: Well, they've been fighting for so long, since seventy nine, the you know, invasion of Russia, the Ottomann Empire, I mean, Petra, you know, all the way back to Donna time.
Speaker 2: This is we're talking. You know, every stone over there has DNA on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Man, it's a crazy place, and it's not It's like our whole thing was like trying to convince them that trying to give them a national identity or something like you're your Afghan and have some pride, have pride in your country, and they're like, but I identify with this tribe, Like I don't identify as an Afghan. You know, a lot of the civilians that are living out there in the rural parts where the war was happening, We're like, who the fuck are you guys? Like, what's an Afghan to them?
Speaker 2: You know, they're just Afghanistan. They're like, wait, what we call this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're just identifies as their tribe, you know. And it was just insane. It was totally fucking insane to think that we could, I don't know, make.
Speaker 3: It work, change it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was just so stupid.
Speaker 2: Change the scenery.
Speaker 4: Knew those motherfuckers, Crystal and uh pet what's his name? Betray us, all those motherfuckers knew it wasn't working and it wasn't going to work, and they just kept perpetuating it for reasons that I think we all know. You know, a lot of it had to do with money.
Speaker 3: In economy. Yep, our number one exports our military. As in America, we export the military worldwide, global international, It's our number one thing. And then back home the war machine kicks up, like, oh yeah, here we go. The wheels are spinning becomes the d D contracts. Oh wait, why are we bidding on the lowest dollar for the most night vision best night vision?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 3: What just get three?
Speaker 5: Three?
Speaker 4: Three dollars were spent on Afghanistan And we still don't have healthcare back at home. And you can't wage, you can't get you can't get a minimum wage job, you know, Like, but.
Speaker 3: We have healthcare, but we're paying for it likes but everybody has to pay for it. But we're like, I completely the war machine, like you said, you know, here we are as taxpayers paying our taxes because we have to. But they go to some Patriot missile that gets its wires ripped out for forty grand, And now that money that I wanted it to work is just a ripped out Patriot missile wire. It's like, yeah, please don't put my taxpayers dollars into a Patriot missile. We please put it into body armor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, I mean we patrolled with the with here like and weapons of destruction at our disposal, but totaled more in like the average college like college students debt, you know what I mean, Like everybody's in debt, everyone's enslaved to the system back home. Meanwhile, we're wasting trillions of dollars abroad.
Speaker 2: Just I would stay talk about and Lons already dead.
Speaker 4: Okay, he died, he died here, he got shot. Yeah, he died while we were out there, and they called his formation in the middle of the night and they said, yeah, we we get up in Loaden. And so everyone's like that, I mean, we can go home, like the war over and uh no, another ten years, another.
Speaker 3: Ten years with a free piece of paper that said you have car blanche to do whatever you need in the name of terrorism. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And when you say, when you say the global War on terrorism, what does that mean? What does that means? That means that means we can go anywhere we want.
Speaker 3: Anywhere, we can go anywhere we want.
Speaker 4: That we call a terrorist place. So basically we opened up the whole Middle mostly the Middle East in Asia right to basically just do whatever we want. I mean, imagine if a country flew a drone into like Manhattan and just shot a fucking there and just shot like a low level drug dealer. Right.
Speaker 3: Just I'm with you X.
Speaker 4: You know, no trial, nothing, just straight you know, execution, right, right, That's what we're that's what we've been doing for the past twenty years. It's just literally killing lola like usually the wrong people. Let's be honest, because intel, military military intelligence is an oxymoron. It doesn't, you know, it doesn't, they don't. No one knows what the fuck they're doing. And you're killing these low level guys with no trial, you know, no nothing, just oh he's a bad guy. Yeah, done, he's dead. And then uh and then they kids come running over and they kill them too, And it's like, what if we create, well, you know what kind of like system apparatus have we created that allows us to just go into other people's backyard and assassinate people from the sky like freaking.
Speaker 3: Well, it's kind of playing out right now where you know, unfortunately Hamas you know, through rockets in a volley at Israel. Recently, Israel has retaliated saying that this is now they're nine to eleven. They have retaliated saying that they have every right to go into Gaza and just level it and whatever they need to do to now go carb Blanche, right, and so now Israel is like coiling up to do some type of GWOT global war on Terror front because they saw us do that when we were assaulted in New York City and then we turned into the global War on Terror mechanism machine just to go after him.
Speaker 4: Right, It's uncanny. It's uncanny how similar the seermongering is that the news is doing, you know, back like they did after nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, right right, And I'm just I see things, you know, I'm just watching it. I talked to a lot of folks. You know. I've got a friend in Gaza right now on the ground, and he's just like, rad, can you get me somewing at Marine DoD To so I could talk to him about this MEU unit that's off the coast. He's like this, that and the other. And he's right there, you know, he's taking photos of the Israeli tanks. I want to call him like a Mrko but it's something different. But nonetheless, dude, Yeah, they're coiling up over there for something. I mean. And the actors who perpetrated the war that through those rockets are not the children that are exactly slingshots. I'm sorry, yeah, I'm sorry. Kids with a rock in a slingshot are not the kids with the rockets no, no.
Speaker 4: And you can't, like like we said, you know, you can't for one, you know, for one terrorist group to miss a terrorist act, right, you can't just then invade the whole country because it's like about the because of one hundred guys did something like what we did in Afghanistan, like al Qaeda I think was maybe a thousand deep in the cave and you know the cave.
Speaker 2: Why do we even go into Iraq?
Speaker 4: Don't get me sorry.
Speaker 3: On that case, Saddam paid a family twenty five thousand dollars for their suicide bomber. And as soon as he did that, as soon as he did that, they said, oh oh, he just became a terrorist.
Speaker 4: Go yep.
Speaker 3: Turkey's like, we're not gonna let you invade from the north. And then they made him move all of everything, go all the way around Iraq.
Speaker 2: It was like we know you're coming this whole thing.
Speaker 4: And because yeah, yeah, and you know, I like when we talk about terrorism, you also got to think when you're the weaker force there, resistant and you're you're being oppressed by a giant machine of war that can just that's constantly bowling, constantly oppressed me sometimes and this was the case with the Vietcong and Algerians and France and uh, you know, terrorism is sometimes the only way to resit, to fight back because you can't, you know, Hamas can't just like overrun the Israeli military, right, so they have to I'm not advocating for terrorism. I'm just saying, when let's when we think about it, it's sometimes the only option that they have right is to commit acts of terror because they don't have any other resources.
Speaker 3: They don't have the same infrastructure. They're they're working on the sidelines. They're doing things that are like these they're being Tom Hanks is saving Private Ryan where he creates a sticky bomb out of a sock to try to blow.
Speaker 2: Up a tank.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, because it's this last it's all he has. He's like, and then one of their guys blows up trying to blow up the tank. It's like, you know, they have to do these crazy things. And I'm not saying one way or the other. I think war is bad. I understand to train for war and be ready to handle it if it happens, But are you I asked my friend the other day, I said, are you ready for a hypersonic missile to blow up the Quickie mart across the street while we're getting a oil change. Like that was a real conversation, I said to him, because he's like this, that, and the other with Ukraine and they know I do these shows and they want to get into my brain. And I'm like, are you ready to go pick up your neighbor's daughter who's blown into your yard because they just blew up your house out of what nowhere all of a sudden, suppoom booms a boom? Then what then?
Speaker 4: What? Then? Then you see the true? Cause you see the true?
Speaker 3: Are you not an insurgent now to them? Because now you live here and we there, you're being invaded?
Speaker 2: What does that make me?
Speaker 3: Right? If I'm moving house to house because I know my neighborhood, you damn right, Yeah, I'm an insurgent now, Oh I live here, dude, this is my house. You call me an insurgent because you attacked me, you came to me. If I go to you, I'm an invader.
Speaker 4: Right, if I we'd kill people from the sky. We're not terrorists, right right? Yeah? Right?
Speaker 3: And I'm not. Hey, you know the world needs to just realize that's the way it is. Like we all believe the same blood. You know, we all come from aliens. What do you do?
Speaker 4: What do you about this Dave Grush guy? You hear about him, maybe David Grush, he's uh, he went he went to Congress and said that we have possession of alien spacecraft. So this guy, this knucklehead, this chuckle, but he's he's he's like the high high echelons right of the intelligence apparatus. And it gives you such a perfect picture of how incompetent these guys are. I don't know what you believe about aliens, but I can tell you from my experience with the intelligence community is, uh, they're not very intelligent. And uh, they're very global and they like they like hoarding secrets or like knowing. They kind of share, like they're gossiping about what they know that someone else doesn't know. And yeah, it's just funny man that that that came out like he like somebody convinced him that they were, you know, the government had alien spacecraft and he bought it so hard without any of it, you never saw any of it. Just someone someone told him and he was like, I fuck it, I'm going to Congress and I'm.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, yeah, you know, it's like it's like I live by Hill Air Force Space and I always see the F thirty fives flying over, and I'll take a photo for Instagram a story, and I always add an alien spacecraft chasing it. Okay, it's just who I am, right, I'm just like, you know, do you not get it? Like the technology, Like we go from flying popsicle sticks at Kitty Hawk in nineteen twenties whatnot to the SR seventy one in the atmosphere in nineteen forties. Yeah, so in twenty some years, you're gonna tell me that we go from popsicle sticks to nuclear energy of sorts?
Speaker 4: Well, when was the popsicle stick? Wasn't that the eighteen hundreds?
Speaker 3: No, Kitty Hawk was nineteen Let me see here, Let's get people to correct us on the comments I say it was like before Christ. Prove me wrong. I think Kitty Hawk was.
Speaker 2: Let me look real, Kitty Hawk is where the right Brothers flight?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, with the first aircraft that actually flew for like one hundred yards and it was made out of it? Was it was nineteen hundred?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll find it real quick here. Uh, kitty. This might just get you a snowboard pass if I'm wrong. Okay, Kitty Hawk, They're probably gonna tell me uss Kitty Hawk. Hello, Kitty Dolls was right, brothers, because first flight, let's go with that. Nineteen oh three December seventeenth. Wilbur and Orville Wright spent four years of research and development to create the first successful powered airplane, the nineteen oh three right Flight. It flew the It flew at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, on December seventeenth, nineteen oh three, with the Orville at the controls.
Speaker 2: So the first flight flew twelve seconds, all right.
Speaker 3: Now let's go from that. Let's go from that to the SR seventy one and the forties. Okay, so let's talk forty years of technology now has increased from flying a paper airplane too, yep, aliens bro. The F sixteen has been around since nineteen seventies. Yeah, it's still in service today. But now we got the thirty five. And when I was in the Air Force, it was the y F twenty two, which was still a test aircraft. But now the F twenty two Raptor has been surpassed by the thirty five. So I mean you've got to wonder.
Speaker 4: I think whether the government has an incentive in people believing that they possessed alien technology, because if the government what I call aliens, like a super intelligent being, right, they could travel here, I would call that. I call aliens basically like gods for atheists. Right. Atheists don't believe in the old old man, the beer in the sky, right, No, they believe in a super intelligent life form that can travel here and do whatever they want to us and maybe invade our consciousness and all this shit. Right, And if the government is in possession of that kind of technology, by the facto, the government kind of becomes a form of God itself. So I want I think, I think the government has an incentive in us believing that they have alien shit they have, but they don't. I don't believe they do personally, but I think they do have an incentive. And actually in the eighties, in the late seventies and the eighties, they infiltrated the UFO community and started spreading misinformation and saying because these guys were these like mob bizarre type guys were filming outside the basis and they were just filming like tops you good technology it wasn't alien ship.
Speaker 3: It was like, like it is a UFO because unidentified flying object because you don't know what it is and it's not you know, you don't know its name, so it does fall into that classification. But is it Is it the lensed eyeball style aliens that come down and just can save humanity or destroy it? Is it Prometheus R?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 3: I love that movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it. I know everyone hates it, but I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that movie.
Speaker 2: I find that it's like, you know, I love when.
Speaker 4: The dude just rips off the creator.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's like yeah, He's like, I think I can talk to him. I'm like, bro, well, David, no, But it just goes to tell me. It just shows that that they're mammals, because aliens are mammals. You know that, you realize it because they how they She is the mother of aliens. She mothered it and he gave it to her and it came out of her and it's still alive. And then aliens comes from Prometheus. Oh man, Now are those the aliens people think about?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: If I DeLong is thinking about and blink, you know, aliens are real, you know, I got to get Tom a shout out in here. He just played a show last night in Vegas?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like why is he spearheading? Though? Why is blink when I need to like spearheading? This whole movement is crazy. You know, if I to me, it would seem a super intelligent life form wouldn't have to physically travel here. They could just send particles that would be able to We wouldn't be able to see it, but they could be watching us right in the air if they would have some form like a or like a crystal ball, Like why would they need to come all the way over here? And then on top of that crash like they make it, you know, they make it billions billions of light years right.
Speaker 2: To crash on Earth.
Speaker 4: And then second I got stuck in the second gear.
Speaker 3: And they you know, stop stop stop.
Speaker 2: I want to like him it in black stop stop stop. I want to Vincent.
Speaker 3: I want to know he needs sugar, sugar water.
Speaker 2: He crashes plane here again, jay.
Speaker 3: Man, sugar.
Speaker 2: It's around Orion.
Speaker 3: Okay, well listen, Miles, Miles, all right, bro, I've had you on here for an hour and I really have appreciated it, and I'm sure my listener, my one listener, So thank you for talking to me and them just one. That's all I ever think of is just the person listening. So thank you to you, and thank you to buying all my merch to that one listener.
Speaker 4: There's really only.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just one, just and if not, hey, hey, hey, thank you. Really you know that's the old radio thought, you know, Miles, is that back in the day when you had no digital radio, you stayed on the static dial because it took forever to find it. And that's why advertising worked so well, because they'd always stay on that station, always hear the same ad over and over again. Now today you have this dial that can just push into fifty different stations. So what I'm getting at is you always want to just talk to the listeners. If it's not one person that just has you tuned in.
Speaker 4: I hope so I hope more people listen to it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you need to be in New York Times best Selling often to help you get there. That one person might just buy all your books, okay, And you never know if if Miles is at the airport and he's signing a book, you never know if it's there, So go check it out.
Speaker 4: We're telling people to buy ten copies each and then sell them to your friends and agra profit.
Speaker 3: And oh done, done, branch that out, dude. And here in Utah we love a good old You know, how can I sell to my neighbor? So get going on that door to door back again, Miles, you've been great. I just want to say thank you for your service to the country. You know, you chose to join, you weren't forced, So thanks for that. Thanks for talking about the VA, thanks for talking about yourself as a young man growing up. And you know, no one ever pays me to say go join the military. But if you're on the fence and you're out there and you're thinking about it and you're on a scale of one to ten and possibly joining, just see what happens. Go talk to them, he says. No, I'm just saying you never know until you try. And with that, this is rad said on behalf of Miles. Please, thank you, go mind. You're welcome.
Speaker 4: Miles.
Speaker 1: All right, cheers, you've been listening to your self.
Speaker 4: Rep.
Speaker 1: Radia