Speaker 1: M Thirteen Days of Halloween Penance, a co production of iHeart three D Audio Blumhouse Television and Grim and Mild from Aaron Yankey Headphones recommended. Listener discretion advised.
Speaker 2: Tell me, tell me it's real. Then I'm not hallucinating?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 4: Could it really be?
Speaker 5: I made it? I'm out.
Speaker 4: But outwear lily fresh water wall, no pretty, damn salty.
Speaker 6: Ugh, I got filthy crawling through that damn drain pipe. Time to put distance between me in this fucking prison. Things I will remember to pack for my next daring escape.
Speaker 7: Shoes, water, preferably chilled, bunk, spray.
Speaker 6: Deep one thousand, five and sixty.
Speaker 2: You know, a map.
Speaker 6: Or maybe a satellite phone with GPS.
Speaker 4: Hell, why not a helicopter?
Speaker 7: And what did you pack?
Speaker 6: A daisy scout, A heavy ass book and pillowcase full of trinkets. Perfect if we find some kind of satanic bomb shelter in need of decorating.
Speaker 4: Not so much in the way of survival.
Speaker 6: Here, but damn if that's not the prettiest sunrise I ever saw. Every stream has to lead somewhere. I hope that this one leads out of side of this goddamn prison. You know from the outside, you would never know what happens on the inside. Well, that stone makes it look like.
Speaker 4: An old fort or castle.
Speaker 8: Huh.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they're looking for me. I wonder if they got her.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, you stop talking to yourself, starting right.
Speaker 4: Ah, motherfucker, Lily, Lily, Lily, is that you.
Speaker 8: Jack war.
Speaker 4: Easy girl, easy girl.
Speaker 6: We're just two strangers crossing paths.
Speaker 4: I'm just at it this way.
Speaker 5: I'm good right here.
Speaker 6: Oh hurry you you take your time.
Speaker 4: How can you drink that stuff?
Speaker 6: You don't happen to know the way out of here? Do you or a good hotel in the area?
Speaker 8: Shut up?
Speaker 9: Say hurry?
Speaker 6: Oh Jesus, Mary and Joseph.
Speaker 4: Wait where in the world do they have jaguars? Don't get me.
Speaker 6: Wrong, I'm happy to see the outside again, practically thrilled that this fucking brush is so thick it's like a jungle. I bet just for good measure, they've clear cut the rainforest to build this cursed gargantuan free in Castlefort walk all damn day, and still I can't get away from it. I wonder what part I'm looking at right now? Could that be the muscle?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 6: Maybe the infirmary. I wonder where the panopticon is in all this. No, there it is.
Speaker 4: Well, if you can see them, they can see you. Add to the packing list.
Speaker 6: You're a escape partner. I guess you didn't make it out. You're still in there. Somewhere is that.
Speaker 8: Shit? Shit?
Speaker 6: Shit the ocean. I knew it would be the ocean. Nothing on the horizon, but now, well you can really.
Speaker 4: See the pen.
Speaker 6: Okay, maybe this is a peninsula.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I just gotta.
Speaker 6: Follow it around and then find a road inland.
Speaker 4: Just keep going until that tower. Is that a sight?
Speaker 6: How is it exactly the same size?
Speaker 4: And why does it get so hot? What are we on the equator?
Speaker 6: All of the shit looks exactly the same, because of course it does. It's the Pendleton Prison on Pendleton Isle. No peninsula. There you see that X again. You know you've made a circle, which won't happen because you are staying positive.
Speaker 7: Just gotta keep moving. Tower exactly the same size, body failing.
Speaker 4: X in sand.
Speaker 7: Conclusion, This is a fucking island.
Speaker 4: There is no way off. I will die here unless they catch me first. Just a few minutes out of the sun, not to sleep, just to rest, just.
Speaker 5: A few minutes.
Speaker 4: And we will try again. Huh, who's there? Really?
Speaker 8: Is that?
Speaker 4: Is that smoke? Fire?
Speaker 9: Fire?
Speaker 3: Fire?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, no no no no no.
Speaker 8: Please don't one, I mean no harm.
Speaker 4: Then what are you doing here?
Speaker 8: Just passing through?
Speaker 4: Are you a guard?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: An inmate?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 10: Then?
Speaker 4: Who are you?
Speaker 8: Days?
Speaker 9: And you sorry?
Speaker 8: Do you have water? Say?
Speaker 4: I wish it's all contaminated?
Speaker 8: M wackish? You might have to track up to the headwater.
Speaker 4: Is that far for you?
Speaker 8: Thetturney may be difficult? Or you could wait to live any season.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure I'll make it that long. Do you live here for now?
Speaker 8: And you came from inside the pen the citadel on the hill?
Speaker 4: Has it always been there?
Speaker 8: Always? No, but a long time?
Speaker 4: Do you know where we are?
Speaker 8: On the island?
Speaker 4: Of course, an island.
Speaker 6: I'm just gonna rest for a minute, But then you're moving on, right. I just have to figure out where to go. What's wrong with your foot?
Speaker 8: It was lost long ago and replaced with black bone and smoking mirror?
Speaker 6: This this is a dream.
Speaker 8: Yes, but what do you see is only how I appear to you now. Earlier I was a jaguar by the water tomorrow, Oh, nose.
Speaker 6: But if this is a dream, why am I under the same tree, the same distance from that goddamn prison?
Speaker 3: Why can I dream what I want?
Speaker 8: What do you want?
Speaker 2: Off this island?
Speaker 4: Why didn't I realize it was an island? It's always a fucking island.
Speaker 8: Look out there at.
Speaker 4: Me on the horizon, where right there?
Speaker 6: What I don't look out.
Speaker 8: Through the east towards the moon and follow the horizon back the other way.
Speaker 4: There is something there? But is it really there outside the dream?
Speaker 5: Or are you?
Speaker 4: Are you showing me what I want to see?
Speaker 10: Dream and reality are closely as you think, and nightmare too. But yes, yes it's there, it's far, but sitting still it's what you want.
Speaker 8: Answer.
Speaker 4: I don't know how i'd ever get out there. M.
Speaker 8: Then maybe it's the right inclination but the wrong directions.
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 8: People tend to look outward when they should look inward?
Speaker 4: Really, M I escaped with someone else, but I lost her or she lost me.
Speaker 8: I don't see anyone else here.
Speaker 4: She might still be inside.
Speaker 8: That may be so, But in the end I can only help you.
Speaker 4: No, Christ, Well, I'll be damned. It is a ship just up past the breakers. But I can't swim that. But I could build a raft.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, a raft out of what gilligan sticks and vines and your own intuition. If it's really an island, the pendleton has to have its own dock. I just need to follow the shore again and look for it.
Speaker 2: But then what.
Speaker 6: Steal a boat?
Speaker 4: No? No, the guy with the smoking foots right. This is the only way you can do this, Martinez.
Speaker 5: You have to.
Speaker 6: Why did it have to be water?
Speaker 2: Lily?
Speaker 7: Last chats.
Speaker 8: One?
Speaker 5: Two?
Speaker 9: Yike, that's so cold, you, darling, are like a cat.
Speaker 6: Hates water, but a natural swimmer. They must have dropped anchor red and white? Is that a dive flag?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 3: Anyone on board?
Speaker 4: Don't shoot me? Hello?
Speaker 6: Anybody looks like you were diving for something.
Speaker 4: Anyone in there?
Speaker 8: Help me?
Speaker 7: Jesus?
Speaker 9: Your leg?
Speaker 11: Is it still there?
Speaker 8: Is?
Speaker 4: What's still there?
Speaker 11: The island?
Speaker 4: We're just offshore. I swim up.
Speaker 8: We can't be here.
Speaker 6: Oh you've lost a lot of blood. I'm gonna try and bandage you up. Where's the rest of.
Speaker 11: The crew down in the hold?
Speaker 4: What happened?
Speaker 11: We found an old Spanish galleon off the reef, remarkably intact, undisturbed like that fort up there. No one ever comes out here. No maps speak of it. We pulled up four crates of gold, of gold.
Speaker 4: Did they do this to you the other crew members?
Speaker 11: No, we pulled up a fifth crate. How were we to know what it was?
Speaker 4: We should get them. Let me help you out.
Speaker 11: No, we have to get out of here. There's a dinghy on the roof. There's a crank system.
Speaker 4: What's a dinghy?
Speaker 11: God help me. It's a lifeboat, a little boat? Oh god?
Speaker 4: What was that?
Speaker 11: Oh God? Here it comes here?
Speaker 2: Who comes?
Speaker 11: There wasn't anything left of him in there, just an old scalloped armor green from the sea. And that morion helm.
Speaker 3: What the hell does that mean?
Speaker 11: That crested? Because he's doing her a helmet with nothing underneath. Take her stance?
Speaker 3: See what lunder Lund?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 12: No, let go show, stop, get off. Stop My lad.
Speaker 1: Christal worship with air and he will spare you as his sadness.
Speaker 8: At so little And I gave warn you.
Speaker 4: What is that thing?
Speaker 8: Another Hookno ass on cocked in the island's currents. It is the wraith of a conqueror, a butcher and warlord. Everything inside the armor has rotted away. To less than nothing, a collapsing void. And these people he's making them his saints, twisting them into the martyr of his religion. You cannot save them. This one he has made into Saint Sebastian, pierced with knives and tools instead of arrows. This one there's half flayed into Bartholomew. And here a cephalafe nasky and a sodium. Why because in death is in life? He refuses to look inward. He lashes out at the world. He bloodies it. He cobbles his victims into the likenesses of the noble dead, as if to absorb himself, all while his soul crumbles beyond nothingness within.
Speaker 3: Wake me up.
Speaker 5: I have to fight.
Speaker 8: He is too strong for you and too fast on mass. What you trick him into self reflection? How the visor of his helm is exposed. Thrust your head into the void, become his inner voice.
Speaker 4: You mean, put on his helmet?
Speaker 11: Stop?
Speaker 3: What is why anything? But have Rinchess go Hey, what are you doing?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 8: What are you doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I'm talking to you.
Speaker 3: It's not Jilvin anymore. You want me, You're gonna have to come here.
Speaker 5: Don't resist.
Speaker 8: He will make you your cat.
Speaker 13: Answer, God, forsake you, you are powerless.
Speaker 6: Drop her, free them and go to hell.
Speaker 4: Cursed. This place is literally cursed.
Speaker 3: The lifeboat.
Speaker 2: Come on, come on, come on, come on, Jackpot, you better start to come on please.
Speaker 3: Please yes, yes, yeah, oh yeah yea.
Speaker 4: O yah ooh Gessa.
Speaker 1: Thirteen Days of Halloween Pennance starring Natalie Morales, Episode twelve Exploration written by Robert Lamb and Alexander Williams. Editing and sound design by Trevor Young and Chandler Mays, featuring the voices of Miguel Perez, Wayne Bastrup, Alex Bowling, Steve B. Greene, Chris Ji Alex and Raphael Corkil. Directed by Alexander Williams. Executive producers Aaron Mankey, Noah Feinberg, Chris Dickey, Matt Frederick and Alexander Williams. Super Revising producers Trevor Young and Josh Thain. Producers Jesse funk, Rima Ilkali, Noami Griffin, Chandler Mays and Casby Bias. Script editing by Lauren Vogelbaum, story consultants Ben Bolan and Matthew Riddle. Casting by Sunday Bowling, CSA and Meg Mormon CSA Production coordinator Wayna Calderon production assistants Jenna Johnson and went Ona Low. Theme music by Rose Azerti with vocals by Anna Hummler, recorded at This Is Sound Design Studios in Burbank, California. Engineered by Ross aeronaut special thanks to Romelia Osorio, Nathan Rule, Glen Nishida, and Rob Mosca. Thirteen Days of Halloween was created by Matt Frederick and Alexander Williams and is a production of iHeart Podcasts, Blumhouse Television, and Grimm and Mild from Aaron Makey. Learn more about the show at Grimandmild dot com slash thirteen Days and find more podcasts from iHeartRadio by visiting the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Happy Halloween.