Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff give you, guys, the best independent.
Speaker 3: Coverage that is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 3: Good morning, everybody, Happy Thursday. We have an amazing show for everybody today. What do we have, Rissel?
Speaker 1: Indeed, we do lots of big news breaking this morning. First and foremost, the debt ceiling bill did pass through the House of Representatives. We have all the numbers on that and what happens next, and also some behind the scenes and side deals cut and all the things you need to know about that, so we'll break that down for you. Also have some big updates on twenty twenty four. A new entrant into the race next week, Mike Pence going ahead and giving it his shot, so not a big surprise, but still interesting. Lots to do over there also a New York Times focus group for Biden. It was Biden voters talking about how they feel about him. That was bad for him, but in some ways even worse for Trump.
Speaker 3: It was bad for everybody.
Speaker 4: It was not yeah, and it.
Speaker 1: Painted a very dismal portrait, I'm sure one that you probably can relate to of the state of American politics. So we'll break that down for you as well. Also new war of words between DeSantis and Trump. Some updates on how American officials and other officials around the world responded to those Ukrainian drone strikes within Russia. Obviously very very dangerous situation, and some note were they comments from Congresswoman Ilhan Omar that we will play for you as well.
Speaker 2: It is our two year anniversary and honestly feels completely surreal to the fact that we. I was just looking back at our tweets from two years ago about launching how excited we are were the Crystalisaga dot com, the mailchimp we.
Speaker 4: Have, ah, oh god, mailchimp.
Speaker 2: We'll save all of this. The very last segment of the show today will be reflecting. We have a fun highlight reel with the.
Speaker 3: Producer and all them put together.
Speaker 2: But I want to give a special shout out to Scarlett Murray. She was the first premium subscriber that we got. Scarlet is particularly impressive because she somehow was able to sign up before anybody else did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wee hours before.
Speaker 4: We hadn't even announced, like we didn't exit or anything.
Speaker 3: Scarlet. I don't know how you did it, but you did figure it out.
Speaker 2: So I just want to say thank you to you, and also to Christine McConnell, one of our lifetime members who has been more than generous. She absolutely deserves a special shout out from us here today. But really it's not just obviously without him, it's all of you. I mean, who signed up and backed us from the beginning exactly two years ago. So many of you were so excited about the show, and I only hope that we've been able to deliver on some of that promise. And we're just getting started. It's a very last day here at the desk again. We'll save all of our sappy reflections, yeah for the end.
Speaker 1: That part feels very surreal though, Like I don't actually believe that it's real that this is our last time on this set, with this desk. Goodbye to the brick, bye to the you know, the very special desk to the desk, very special, veryci custom made desk, all the debt core.
Speaker 3: Some of it will make the transition, but I am.
Speaker 1: Super excited about the news said, it's a huge investment for us. So yeah, we'll save some of that for the end of the show. We've got our producers to put together a little reflection that we actually haven't even seen yet, So excited to watch that as well. But let's go and get into the news this morning. As I mentioned before, Kevin McCarthy able to successfully shepherd that debt ceiling bill, that compromise deal that was struck with the White House through the House of Representatives, in spite of some vociferous operation opposition from within his own caucus. Let's go and put the final vote here up on the screen. There's a couple of things that are noteworthy here. First of all, the House passed the debt ceiling feel three fourteen to one seventeen, not close at all. In the end, getting over three hundred votes for passage is an impressive feat. The one note here though, for McCarthy, is you actually had more Republican opposition than you had Democrats seventy one Republicans voted against the measure, and only forty six Democrats voted in opposition, so he, in particular Soccer needed Democratic votes to get passed to pass the rule that would bring this thing to the floor. There was some reporting, I'll get to this in a minute, that he actually cut a side deal with Hikeem Jefferies in order to get the Democrats that they needed.
Speaker 4: To be able to get the rule to pass. So we don't know.
Speaker 1: This is like one of those backroom deals. Nobody actually knows what was in it. They're actually denying that it happened. But we'll put that aside for a moment. Let's get a little bit more detail about who were the opponents of the debt sealing bill within the Republican caucus. It can put this next piece up on the screen. This is from our friend Kyle Condick. He notes that there were twenty one House Republicans who did not support McCarthy on every speaker vote back in January. For the New York Times tracker of the debt sealing vote, twenty of the twenty one were no on the deal. So all of his opponents in terms of the speakership, anybody who put up any resistance to him being speaker. They all voted against the deal. Lauren Bobert apparently missed the vote, so she probably would have voted. I know for a fact she would have vote. Know, that's what she said publicly if she hadn't inexplicably missed the vote.
Speaker 4: But whatever.
Speaker 1: So most of the opposition for this really came from that sort of hardcore group freedom Caucus members. We played you yesterday with Emily, We played you some of the comments from Dan Bishop chip Roy. They seemed to be genuinely upset about the way that this all went down.
Speaker 4: But you know, at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Most of the caucus remained with McCarthy and was able to get you know, he got a majority of Republican votes, more than a majority of Republican votes on the final vote through. And I think there were a couple pieces here, Sager Number one. If they voted down this deal, there was no plan B. So then you're actually facing like, Okay, we're actually going over the cliff, and you have some part of the caucus that's like, hell, yeah, let's do it. But I think the majority of them were like that's a little bit much for me, including McCarthy, and then the other pie, says Jim Jordan, who obviously very respected among a lot of the sort of hard right, especially fiscal hard right conservatives. You know, he's anxious to get on with his like weaponization of government stuff and Hunter Biden's stuff and wants to lean more into that as we head into election season. We're already an election season than this, like tussling over the dut ceiling.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say, procedurally, this is a nightmare because the fact is is that, as Kyle Condack points out, if you have twenty of those twenty one who voted against McCarthy in the first place, their entire reason for why they caved and ended up allowing McCarthy to be the speaker was we got concession so that we can get what we want.
Speaker 3: Well, no, you didn't. You actually all just got humiliated.
Speaker 2: And like you know, they were guaranteed all these so called procedural things like the rules committee or you know, the emotion to vacate and all this.
Speaker 3: So well they haven't done a motion to vacate yet.
Speaker 2: We'll see, I've only seen one member or maybe one or two actually even float. It doesn't seem to be a real idea. I mean, the truth is actually kind of what I said at the time. I'm like the fact, when you vote for him, it's like he's a speaker now and he's in control, and now, really the gauntlet has thrown to you.
Speaker 3: Are you really going to do something about it? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I mean they seem upset, but they told their base and the Freedom Caucus guys and all these other Republicans who didn't like McCarthy, don't worry. We have all these things inside of the deal that can make sure that we have all this leverage and controls. Like, well, not really, because every single one of you voted against the deal and it's still passed. So then how exactly did you get it done? Like you gave away the store and he didn't McCarthy. I got to give the guy credit. He actually ended up giving way less of it away than it appeared on paper, or he was able to maneuver them very expertly.
Speaker 3: Either works, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean it's kind of weird because they'll send on a tweet like Dan Bishop or whoever, we'll send on a tweet that's like we agreed that it has to be a unanimous vote in the Rules committee, and it's like, well, maybe you did, and maybe you didn't. You don't have it on paper. None of this was disclosed publicly.
Speaker 3: That's why didn't you write it down then?
Speaker 4: And there were other things like that too.
Speaker 1: That was like they said, we were going to have, you know, it had to be more Republicans and Democrats voting for the bill for something to be brought to the floor. First of all, that doesn't even make any sense because how are you going to block a vote from happening based on the vote that's going to have it? Like, that's not even logical. But maybe there was some sort of a handshake agreement, and again maybe there wasn't. But guess what, the public didn't know about it. It wasn't written on paper, so at the end of the day it proved to be worthless. One thing I was asking Emily about, because you know, she's like well sourced and hazard finger on the pulse of some of this stuff is how much of their upset is this genuine sense of betrayal and how much of it is them posturing for their own base that wants to see them, you know, play acting that they're upset and they're fighting, and they're standing up against leadership, et cetera. That's a real open question to me. I would say the fact that you only have a couple of them, one or two maybe seriously floating the idea of getting rid of McCarthy for speaker, I think that kind of reveals that some of this, from their perspective too, is a bit of posturing, is a bit of theater, because if they genuinely saw this as the betrayal that they're portraying it as to, you know, to their audience and their base, then I think they would be more seriously contemplating those.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, life is a stage, right, I mean this is especially politics, it's all theater.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, they're like a whole complaining and all. It's like, well, then you guys, look objectively, you absolutely lost.
Speaker 2: There's no app there's no way to look at it and say that you didn't lose in terms of not even in terms of spending. They literally expanded the food stamp program. Like, if you're one of those people, that's like a nightmare, how can you possibly say that that didn't work out? And then procedurally, none of the so called backstops that were supposed to ensure your veto power ended up existing. So now it's in the chamber of the Senate, we'll see. I mean it looks like it's I wouldn't say easily going to pass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think it's I think the action was mostly on the House side, exactly. You know, obviously the Senate is in Democratic control. Uh so you will have more Democrats who are willing, I think, to vote for it there than even in the House, just because of like partisan weird reasons. But John Thunne had very confidently stated that they had more than enough Republicans to get to that sixty vote threshold as well. Just one other note on kind of the politics of this. You can see the way that you know, different ideological factions are viewing this debt ceiling vote. A lot of the Democratic knows were from the progressive side. In the California Senate race, you know, you have three contenders. You got Adam Schiff, Nancy Pelosi's handpicked choice, so she's trying to like make sure Jerry rig him in.
Speaker 4: He voted for the deal.
Speaker 1: He's considered to be you know, more of a centrist, certainly very pro establishment, pro the Democratic powers, that being Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden, etc.
Speaker 4: So he votes for the deal.
Speaker 1: The other two who are more progressive, Barber Lee and Katie Porter, they vote against the deal.
Speaker 4: So that's interesting on that side.
Speaker 1: Put the next element up on the screen in terms of Republicans how they were viewing this. Ten Republicans rated as toss ups. So these are Republicans in actual swing districts.
Speaker 4: They all voted.
Speaker 1: For the debt sealing except for one, though, he George Santos, who you know, I don't know that you'd really call his thing a toss up at this point, given that he's been criminally indicted, and I think his prospects look a little bit dim. So he's doing whatever he feels in the moment without any concern for the politics of it. But so that's the way that different ideological factions were viewing this vote. One other piece that we wanted to share with you here is about the potential side deal that was cut between Hakeem Jeffries and Kevin McCarthy. Put this up on the screen. They say, these their offices both deny that there was any deal to save the debt ceiling, but there was reporting suggesting for Democratic lawmakers said they had been told of a deal to saying they believed it involved boosting federal funding for projects and Democrats districts, known as earmarks or community project funding. If Democrats voted to advance the bill, that was that rules vote that McCarthy ended up needing to lie on Democrats to get across the finish line. So, I mean, I would think it was more likely than not than some kind of deal was cut there with regard to earmarks or something else, which I think just underscores, you know, part of what has been complicated with regard to the actual deal that was cut in terms of as an analyst trying to explain what exactly is in it. Some of the deal is in the text of what they just passed, and some of it was these agreements that have to do within the future, these budget you basically call them gimmicks that the Republicans agreed to pass that would help lift some of the domestic social safety net spending that is on its face cut in these deals. And so it has been a little complex to wrap your arms around exactly what's in this deal.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: Another area where there's a lot of conflicting information is on how dract Cody and the cuts to the IRAS are.
Speaker 4: This obviously is a.
Speaker 1: Huge Republican priority. The cut that passed in this bill was relatively slim. It was one billion dollars. But again there's reporting that there's this sort of side agreement that is actually going to be twenty billion dollars. But then again the White House is saying, don't worry, we can backfill that. So it's actually not going to make that much of a difference. So it makes it very challenging to actually analyze what was past, what it means, and what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on the IRS piece, I actually did a lot of digging in. Yeah, if basically they failed completely. What they wanted to do was to claw back the current initial ability of the IRS to expand. Instead, what they did is an overall cut which will take place theoretically sometime in the future. The twenty billion to what you're referencing, we already did money more or multiples of that. This will not impact IRS current operating capacity at all.
Speaker 3: It also does not include.
Speaker 2: Any of the provisions which they talked a big game about about making sure that they don't go after anybody who is you know, less than two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, which in my opinion should be in there ironclad. Given the behavior of the IRS, it theoretically cuts it in the future, which I mean, as you and I know, Crystal, what is stop the government from just backfilling that the next time the Democrats have control. Yeah, you're just going to do that plus probably times ten, and then we'll have a fake game where we calw back like two years.
Speaker 3: It's all bs. Yeah, that's why this whole deal, this whole deal to me is just nonsense, Like it's nonsense on a space. I guess.
Speaker 2: The only people got taken care of are the Pentagon, the Government.
Speaker 4: Of Ukraine, always always the.
Speaker 2: Pentagon, the Government of Ukraine, and then the rest of us. Almost none of our lives are going to change, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, just to zoom out to the big picture here, because it can get lost in some of the details talking about how is our IRS funding work and how's this going to go with the budget appropriation process. The fact that we are in this place at all is just absurd, I mean, especially in some ways especially because they ended up not getting really anything work.
Speaker 3: That's my key then what they could have.
Speaker 1: Gotten through a normal, non hostage taking situation where you aren't threatening the entire global financial system and threatening by the way, like you know, if we defaulted, then you're having a way. Okay, seniors get paid, do veterans get paid? Do bondholders get paid? What does this all look like? I mean, all of this was on the line. This is not a joke and it's not a gain you're talking at. You're playing with millions of people's lives and jobs and their basic security, so that in the end it ends up as this sort of just like pathetic, confusing mishmash is.
Speaker 4: It's insulting. I think the Biden White House there.
Speaker 1: Was a lot of celebration of like, oh, the deal for them is not as bad as it could have been. Okay, sure, but they misplayed this from the beginning, and in fact it is. That's what was surprising was that McCarthy didn't extract even more from them.
Speaker 4: Because he certainly could have.
Speaker 1: They played their hand so poorly and in we're such a weak position, they gave themselves no other out than to pass some kind of deal with McCarthy. But I think at the end of the day, McCarthy was also very fearful of going over the cliff. Even though he's got these renegades in his caucus who at least act like they're crazy enough to do it, he did not share that sentiment whatsoever, and so he was also most interested in getting to a yes and averting this whole catastrophe that he was forced into as part of the speakership deal.
Speaker 4: Now that's all on him.
Speaker 1: I'm not like, you know, removing the blame from him whatsoever. But it's not like from the beginning he was enthusiastic about this fight.
Speaker 4: He was forced into it.
Speaker 3: There. I forgot to add a winner.
Speaker 2: By the way, yeah, Wall Street, because I don't know if people know this, but the uncertainty in the debt ceiling has spiked treasury bill rates to like near all time highs. And so, by the way, it's a great opportunity for free money if you're interested.
Speaker 4: And you know what that means.
Speaker 1: That means like it's more expensive, but yeah, government to borrows.
Speaker 2: Really in the reality out all taxpayers are paying out huge premiums.
Speaker 3: To Warren Buffett into all these other guys right who.
Speaker 2: Are printing tax free money gains off of Treasury bills and the now Wall Street not only got to profit off of some of that initial uncertainty, now they don't have to deal with any of the fallout from the debt ceilings. So yeah, I would be remiss if I didn't say a lot of billionaires were actually very happy.
Speaker 4: By very very good and important point.
Speaker 1: And by the way, if you're worried about, you know, the interest payments and the level of debt, obviously that's wildly counterproductive that you've just spike spiked the cost of government borrowing. The last piece we have here for you just to preview the fight in the Senate, which again I think is going to be smooth ceiling. I don't think they have any trouble passing this debt sealing deal through the Senate, though you don't know. One thing that was interesting I saw this morning.
Speaker 4: Ran Paul is.
Speaker 1: Going to sort of get Republicans on the record force a vote on a larger cut that would potentially include He says social Security would be off the table, but Medicare would be on the table.
Speaker 4: So that's a difficult political vote.
Speaker 1: That Republicans will have to take but I do think this thing will get through the Senate, probably without much of a problem. However, we did get a statement from Bernie Sanders put this up on the screen expressing, I think effectively expressing here the progressive stance and upset with this deal. He says, I cannot in good conscience vote for the debt sealing deal. Among other things, he says, the fact of the matter is that this bill is totally un necessary. The President has the authority and the ability to eliminate the debt ceiling today by invoking the fourteenth Amendment. I look forward to the day when he exercises this authority and puts an end once in ferralty the outrageous actions of the extreme right wing to hold our entire economy hostage in order to get what they want. He also name checks here, you know the fact that as part of this deal, again supposedly the concern is over the debt and the deficit, which everybody knows that's not really the case. There's just an ideological agenda against certain of these programs. They take off the table, closing the car at interest loophole, which would obviously raise revenues.
Speaker 4: They take off the table any.
Speaker 1: Sort of hike for the richest among us and for corporations that's all, you know, considered not even close to being a part of this deal. They take off the table things like negotiating drug prices, prescription drug prices through Medicare, which again would raise revenue.
Speaker 4: So he points to some of.
Speaker 1: Those pieces that you expose the hypocrisy and the fundamental unfairness of the deal itself. But also I think the bigger point is the one about how unnecessary this whole crisis and this whole quote unquote deal ultimately was.
Speaker 2: And Bernie was the first Democrat to come out against it. Jeff Merkley's also come out against it. We'll see how many others actually come out on the record. But as you said, there may be some procedural hijinks about forcing votes and stuff on amendments, and we may have a bit of a delay a thirty hour debate rule without unanimous consent. But you got four days till the so called till the soft deadline, which you know, you could probably stretch that out if you need to.
Speaker 3: So very likely not going to see any crisis. But we'll keep everybody updated.
Speaker 1: This whole thing was kind of frustrating and raging, and I'll be very happy to not talk about it again for.
Speaker 4: Quite a while.
Speaker 3: Good riding two years. We'll cover it on our four year endit.
Speaker 4: There you go, there you go.
Speaker 1: Apparently that's what we're at it. Okay, let's talk a little bit about some new data we're getting out about the likely presidential matchup between former President Trump and current President Biden. Put this up on the screen for the New York Times. They did a focus group of eleven Biden vote and you know, always take these with a grain of salt. It's just eleven people, but it's always interesting to hear what actually actual voters are saying about how they feel about the stay of the country and the man that all eleven of them actually voted for but are feeling kind of shaky.
Speaker 4: On this time around.
Speaker 1: So keep this up on the screen, guys, because I'm gonna read off they asked. One of the questions they asked is if you were giving the weather forecast for how things are going in America, what would you say.
Speaker 4: Here's the sample of the answers.
Speaker 1: One said, Icee Stormy, I think we're had in the wrong direction. Next one says, cloudy with a chance of tick tick boom. He's a very literary person. I think there's going to be an outer force of danger that is going to unite as kind of like nine to eleven. Did oh, that's kind of dark too. The pendulint has to swing the other way. Another one said, my forecast is very cloudy with the chance of a heavy downpour and maybe a tornado, you know, just to recap, and we've got some other graphics we can show you. They asked this group a series of questions about, you know, how do you feel about Biden? And is he doing a good job? And is he a good leader? On a number of questions that you know had positive attributes about Biden, no one agreed with the sentiment. So they asked, is Biden a good leader? Not a one of them raise their hands. They asked, does he share my values? This actually surprised me. Not a one of them raise their hands. They asked, you know, did he do better, worse, or the same than you expected? No one said he did better than they expected. They asked, is he up to the task of being president through twenty twenty eight? No one said yes, And they asked, how do you feel about his handling of the economy, and no one had a positive feeling about his handling of the economy. Go ahead and put this next piece up on the screen. So they say, what is one word you would use to describe how you feel about the November twenty twenty four presidential election You are not going to be surprised by. Well, maybe there's one that you'll be surprised about, they say. The first person says, is shit show one word or two? How about circus nice? One says anxious, apprehensive, scared? I think unforgettable, scary, eager, okay, confused, geriatric self.
Speaker 4: Park episode and defeated.
Speaker 1: Put the next graphic we have up on the screen here as well. See another piece of this. They say, you're all in this group because you voted for Joe Biden in twenty twenty. That doesn't mean that you love what he's done or that you support him now. It just means you voted for him in twenty twenty. So why did you vote for Joe Biden in twenty twenty election? One person says, it really was the lesser of two evils, felt like the only thing I could do. Another says, I just couldn't stomach Trump. Another says, I hate to say it, but pretty much the same reason, and another one says, I didn't vote for Biden, I voted against Trump, and sager. This was a consistent theme. Every one of these people said they are not impressed with Biden. They don't think he's up to the task of.
Speaker 4: Another four years.
Speaker 1: They're disappointed, they're unhappy with the economy, they see the outlook as stormy. They're all these sentiments, right, But then when you ask them, well, who are going to vote for this time, almost all of them said Biden again, Yeah, because Trump or DeSantis, in our opinion, is worse.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: There was one person, I think who said that they were very likely to just not vote, and I do think those people. You know, these are people that all voted for Biden last time. It was a narrow election, so he really needs to win all of these type of people again.
Speaker 4: So the fact that you.
Speaker 1: Have even any of them saying, you know what, I may just not vote, I may vote third party, I'll see who the Republicans put up. The fact that you have any of that going on is actually a bit of a worrying sign for Biden, and they are concerned about there's a higher percentage this time around than last time who say they would consider voting third party or independent. And you know, that was part of the complex set of factors that led to Hillary Clinton losing in twenty sixteen, when you had a lot of people who just literally would not stomach either Trump or Hillary and voted for Johnson or Stein in that election.
Speaker 4: So I thought that was interesting too.
Speaker 2: On DeSantis, I'm not sure it was all of them. I think it was only what three or four right who said that they wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Vote for him.
Speaker 2: But my personal favorite was this one from the Nick what do you mean by south Park episode? He says, there was an episode in south Park from two thousand and four there was a mock election. Everybody just keeps voting for the vote for the lesser of two evils. They're voting just to keep someone else out. I hate that because that becomes a scenario I have committed to vote for a third party this coming election.
Speaker 3: I thought that was really interesting. This was Nick.
Speaker 2: He's a thirty seven year old from Iowa, a white guy, independent and business manager. So you know, that's actually a good glimpse I think into you know, kind of like who and what are thinking about the election and the despair and all of that that they feel. I think what becomes very clear is that Trump himself does have and I think this is what his supporters always underestimate, which is as much as you love Trump, which is that's the thing with Trump, he gets more love than any politician probably that I've ever seen in my lifetime. He gets an equal amount of hate from a lot of people too. Yeah, and those balance out, you know, in terms of the positive.
Speaker 3: Number of people who are willing to come out and vote.
Speaker 2: And then in some cases not even just balance, like there are even more people who are both repulsed, and then when it comes time to pull the lever, decide not to. Now, look, there's obviously a hell of a lot that can go on, and he almost did win the twenty twenty election. He came incredibly close, as we've pointed out here, and DeSantis did too.
Speaker 3: If you just.
Speaker 2: Encourage mail in voting, he literally would have won. So that's a whole other narrative that is out there. So I don't want to underestimate his strength, but you shouldn't underestimate some of his weaknesses either, and the weakness is very full on display here.
Speaker 4: And at this point, you know, Biden is incumbent president.
Speaker 1: That comes with significant advantages because people find you know, change in switching horses, minstream or whatever that whatever that's saying is they find that unsettling, and so incumbents and you have the bully pulpit, and you know, you are in the office of commander in chief, so nobody has any trouble envisioning it. That comes with a significant advantage, and so that makes it more difficult for Trump. On the other hand, at the time last time around, you had the immediate specter of Trump in office is just doing a horrific job managing the pandemic and you know, people dying, and it was a very bad time in America.
Speaker 4: So you had this immediate.
Speaker 1: Example of what it looked like to actually have Donald Trump as president of the United States. You know, one of the things that did surprise me was that no one said that Biden shares my values because one of his political strengths. And the man obviously has political strengths because he is president of the United States and was previously you know, vice president for eight years, and well like during that time. One of his strengths has always been that people do feel like he shares their values, that they do feel like he's sort of like an empathetic person and gets their struggles and what they're going through. So I was a little bit surprised by that, by that perspective offered by eleven, all eleven of these individuals. One woman who is a black independent who's not working, said, I think Biden is the corporate elitist type person that camouflages himself as a regular guy, and that was her answer for why she didn't feel that he shared her values. There was another portion, Nick, who's a thirty seven year old white independent business manager. He was talking about the economy and said, there's not enough being done to help shoulder some of these increases. When you see these other companies posting record profits. That's concerning to me. Continuing to line the pockets of the elite while everyone else is struggling is not okay. And I thought those were interesting because what a lot of people would take away from a focus group like this is like, oh, you know, we got to come to the center, and we got to be more moderate, and a lot of people express sentiments like that, but then when you ask some specifics about what they want, it's actually like, it's actually, we got to go after the elites. It's actually not sort of the classic view of what a corporate centrist moderate position would look like. So media's definition of what moderate is and actual voters how they articulate it tends to be very, very different. Another thing that I thought was interesting, Sager, is when they asked people what was it that you liked that Biden did, A number of them were like, I have to get back.
Speaker 4: To you on that, like I'm not really sure.
Speaker 1: But the people who were able to name things, A few people named student loan debt relief that was something that was very tangible for them, and I think one of them named infrastructure. So I thought that was interesting too, And it kind of makes some sense because if you're a person who's going to benefit from student loan debt relief that is like really measurable, really impacting.
Speaker 4: Your life, it's going to stick with you.
Speaker 1: It's not something that I would some a morphous bill that passed and now I can't even remember the details of it. It felt very real and very concrete and was the thing that most immediately came to mind for a number of the people that they interviewed.
Speaker 2: Here kind of interesting. I love looking into the views of just like how people actually vote, you know, in terms of the pundits, and everybody thinks that people are so iconic class they're really not like they're just completely they're really they have contradictory beliefs of which they would never find contradictory. They don't fit meekly into a box. A lot of it is personality based, but a lot of it is also policy base. And you just can't cast a wide breath, Yeah, telling I love about this country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bottom line I would say from this poll, not poll, focus group, small caveats, remember all of that. But the general sentiment is pretty much backing up the theory of the case that the Biden White House has, which is, yeah, people don't really particularly like our guy. His favorability is in the toilet. People are disappointed, they don't feel great about the direction of the country. But when push comes to shove and they're faced with our guy versus Trump, They're all going to come home. They're going to vote a guy once again for what they view as the lesser of two evils and they're going to have no other choice than to come back into our camp. And you know, based on these responses, i'd say that it's.
Speaker 4: Frankly, it's not a bad bet. Yep, you're right, Okay.
Speaker 1: At the same time, we got some news about another contender entering the Republican side of the equation. This would be former Vice President Mike Pence, who's been signaling for some time that he was very likely to launch his own presidential campaign. Let's put this up on the screen. He is eyeing a twenty twenty four campaign launch next week. The source said. Pence's team is finalizing plans to launch the campaign his campaign for the White House, joining the expanding GOP primary field, with a forward looking video announcement and speech that makes the case for his candidacy. I guess he is going to say no thanks on the Elon Musk Twitter launch.
Speaker 4: Given recent experiences, He's going.
Speaker 3: With the sure be offered either true. I guess it.
Speaker 1: Technically, yeah, he theoretically was like, oh sure, I talk to anybody anyway. I don't know that there are gonna be a lot of takers on that offer at this point. Pence going with a more traditional announcement. He is expected to put a lot of his focus on Iowa, they say, which hosts the first caucus of the GOP primary calendar. And also of note, he is participating in a CNN town hall in Des Moines on June seventh, so that is next week being billed as a presidential town hall. And you know, for those who are I guess looking to bolster the Pence case, there was a poll that found that you know, a majority of Republicans said they would consider supporting him, though they don't support him, but they would at least consider it. So he's not completely off the table here. So that's kind of the layelah Land for him. I mean, the Iowa focus saga, I think makes a lot of sense because you do have a very well organized, sort of evangelical right in Iowa that he has spent a lot of time cultivating and making inroads with. That's why he's leaned into things like, you know, his support of a national abortion ban. We noted right away that he was maybe the first major politician after Roe versus Wade was overturning that Dobb's decision to come out affirmatively for hey, we need to get on board with the national abortion ban. It's a very extreme position that has very low support among the public at large, But I think we'll find an eager audience within the Iowa caucus.
Speaker 4: Faithful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who won the Iowa caucuses in twenty sixteen, Ted Cruz.
Speaker 3: You know why? Evangelicals. I've got the breakdown right here in front of me.
Speaker 2: Evangelical Protestants make up the second largest religious group in all of Iowa.
Speaker 3: Combine them with.
Speaker 2: Catholics and you've got another eighteen percent, and you're literally looking at almost majority of the people in the state who are going to have at least a sympathetic view.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess technically on abortion or.
Speaker 2: The very least people were very motivated to vote in a GOP primary. It was very key to the Ted Cruz victory in Iowa was to go and mobilize the evangelical community. They had the Ted Cruz camps as what they were called at the time. Firstly would have had a better creepy yahtle in my opinion, a little weird, but worked out. So, I guess what can you say for the Iowa caucuses? This is going to be the key and it is also not a surprise that Mike Pence has not trained his fire on Donald Trump because he's not really competing with a lot of votes for him in Iowa. Who's he competing with Ron DeSantis, who as we speak, is in Iowa right now, and we're going to show you some clips in a little bit from his speeches there. He needs to take out DeSantis and to compete there if he wants to see any sort of victory in the state or place in the top three, which is why he actually took a shot at DeSantis in a very recent interview.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 5: I like Walt Disney, not Walke Disney, and I fully support what Florida did and challenging a left wing agenda for children under third grade. In fact, I'd like to see them expand that in the interest of families in Florida. But where I took issue several months ago was as a limited government conservative. I don't believe it's the role of government to then essentially go after corporations that differed with them in the political process.
Speaker 2: So look, Mike Pence is basically trying to run the Reagan two point zero playbook, just not as charismatic and not as good as a politician. So you know, we'll see. I do think I'm not going to say I'll be formidable. I think he'll place. I think he's probably good eight to ten percent of a decent amount of ceiling any of these places. And a lot of the polling bears that out put this up there on the screen. This is our latest twenty twenty four tracking from Morning Console, and it shows you in the polling number one Donald Trump at fifty six percent, Number two Ron DeSantis at twenty two percent, Mike Pence at five sounds about right, maybe double that in Iowa because you got more evangelicals and you got more Catholics. But you can't forget a lot of those people. They love Trump too because in a debate, not that may there may be a debate. We'll see whether Trump deans to go on the stage. But if he's going to hit back, he's got the greatest attack of all.
Speaker 3: I got it done. Mike didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: He didn't stand up for me on January sixth, and I'm the one who got it done. A DeSantis also, frankly has a good, credible legislative case of I signed a six week band in a purple state. I actually got that done. So once again, to that community, you're looking at two people who have actually done something and then one guy rhetorically who is not necessarily there. So looking at all that, I think Trump and DeSantis have a very coo credible case to make to the Evangelical Protestants, and you know.
Speaker 3: Either they're going to have to compete for it.
Speaker 2: If anything, Pence is just a spoiler for the Ronda Santis, for the Ronda de Santis campaign.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 1: It's hard to see a pathway to Mike Pence being the GOP nominee. You know, he the Trump people, the hardcore Trump people have no love for him because he didn't back Trump on January sixth, and has you know, castigated him somewhat mildly for his actions on that day. The hardcore never trumpers have no love for him because he didn't because he you know, carried water for Trump for all four years, and then even after you had this mob running around threatening hang him, he still could barely muster an attack on Trump over any of that. But I do think he is a real problem for Ronda Santis, maybe more so than some of these other characters. Because I do think he has a solid five percent, five to ten percent, and especially in a state like Iowa. And remember Ron DeSantis is really betting the farm on Iowa, Iowa and New Hampshire, but in particular Iowa, because if you don't come out of the gate strong and you're him, and you're facing down the juggernaut of Donald Trump, it.
Speaker 4: Gets real dicey, real quick.
Speaker 1: So the fact that Pence has any sort of traction in that state, and I do think he has some limited traction in that state, those are votes that are coming not from the Donald Trump pile of the of the voter base. They're coming out of the DeSantis group of voters. I would very much doubt that there's a lot of overlap between the Trump and the Pence voting base at this point. So this comes directly out of Desanta's to share the pie.
Speaker 4: And when you.
Speaker 1: Already have Donald Trump over fifty percent in certainly nationally and in a lot of these early primary states as well, you not only have.
Speaker 4: To coalesce all of the other.
Speaker 1: Voters that are out there, you've got to be able to eat into the Trump margin as well. Having Pence and the race just complicates the situation, you know, Emily and I covered yesterday too, Chris Christy getting in the race. Not that I think Chris Christy has a shot either at this whole thing, but the fact that you have so many contender jumping in show's number one DeSantis's weakness.
Speaker 4: He didn't scare them out of the race. He didn't do whatever.
Speaker 1: Was necessary to get everybody to cole less behind one Trump alternative. And I just think that that really makes things difficult for him. It makes it much more like twenty sixteen. I know we've said this over and over again, but especially when I see like the way that they're all positioning themselves as I'm the true conservative, like Mike Pence is doing that, DeSantis is doing that, Tim Scott is doing that. That's what was tried in twenty sixteen. It was the best case they could make against Trump, and it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Ye guess close. It actually didn't work.
Speaker 2: Let's go to around DeSantis then, because it's actually Bears talking about This is one where I'm not so Look, I'm not sure it'll work.
Speaker 3: I personally don't think so.
Speaker 2: But if it was ever going to work, it is going to look something like this DeSantis, Unlike Pence, Tim Scott, Nikki Haley, who's kicking in various directions, uh vivek Ramaswami, all these all these other people, is actually taking Trump on head on and casting himself as the only other legitimate challenger, which I think is true and is rhetorically not really letting any of the Trump attacks go unanswered.
Speaker 3: It's no longer silly season.
Speaker 2: Apparently he is actually decided to come out and confront Trump at the very least on some of the attacks that have been levied against him.
Speaker 3: And you know, I've been.
Speaker 2: Impressed by it, especially with the way he's been able to take it on in Iowa. Here's what he had to say on the ground. Keep in mind, in front of Republican voters. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 6: I do think unfortunately he's decided to move left on some of these issues. If you say Cuomo did a better job with COVID than Florida did, first of all, that's not what he used to say. This is like new like six months ago. He would have never said that, right. He used to say how great Florida was. Hell, his whole family moved to Florida under my governorship, are you kidding me? It's also the case that you know, we're proud of what we've been able to do in our state. We won the biggest election landslide that Florida Republicans have ever won. And did he ever say anything, I got a boy, good job.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: He attacked me three days before the midterm election, and then he started attacking after that. And so I'm just thinking to myself, you're a Florida resident. If I saw an election landslide where we swept every statewide office, super majorities in the legislature, elect twenty nine conservative school board members, as a Florida resident, I would be cheering for that. If you put the mission first, you would definitely be cheering for that.
Speaker 3: What can you say, Crystal? He's right, He's obviously correct. A.
Speaker 2: You moved to Florida, your whole family became residents. And the second one is I still believe that is the strongest attack against Trump, which is I'm an actual winner.
Speaker 3: I one big. You are the one who cost us.
Speaker 2: He actually even said later on, he said we would have had fifty five Senate seats if it wasn't for mother nonsense that was going on. Also possibly correct, right, given what the term, given what the wins were and all that. Who knows with roversus Wade, let's put that aside. The problem for DeSantis is for him, for the GOP bas to overall coalesce around that message, they would also have to believe that Trump was a loser, and they don't believe Trump was a loser. That that's the has like and I've said the Gordian knot before. I really think it is because I watched that and I'm like, man, that is such a compelling general election case. But we're not in a general election. Yeah, We're in a primary. And he has got to make he is. He's got a project on his hand, which is always the hardest thing to do. You have to change the way that voters think. You almost never can do that in politics. You usually have to come and meet MO voters exactly where they are. He has to change, he has to change their thoughts from Trump won and was unfairly stolen to Trump is a loser and I'm an actual winner. I personally just feel that it's such a titanic task that it's not able to accomplish. But I think if it ever could be, it's going to look something like that. Nobody else has been willing to say something, nobody else has been willing to take him on this way.
Speaker 1: Well, he tried the other approach of staying quiet, and it failed, and he saw his polls go like this. So I think he looked at that state of affairs and said, all right, well, that strategy is not working, especially because everybody else in the race, or even theoretically going to get in the race, they were all taking shots at him, not at Trump. So after watching that all unfold and seeing that it wasn't a winning strategy for him, He's decided to go on the offense. And I think that makes a lot of you know, logical rational sense. I saw this morning Trump just put out this mashup I think over on true social of Ron DeSantis just kissing his but to try to get his endorsement, going on Fox this is the greatest Republican president that we've had, and going on and on, Oh, he's the art of the deal and he knows how to negotiate the whole bit because he was desperate to get Trump's approval and get his endorsement. I mean that part is actually true that Trump says about him and you know that sort of stuff. It's kind of more visceral than this like theoretical ideological policy distinctions that he's making here. I'm going to be interested to see. I genuinely don't know. I'm going to be you know, humble about making any predictions here. I want to see does DeSantis going on in the offense? Does it move the polls at all?
Speaker 4: It's really open in my mind.
Speaker 1: It's really open whether it changes anything, whether it causes him to go up in the polls, or it actually could cause him to go down very easily.
Speaker 4: This could have a backlash. There's a reason why every other candidate.
Speaker 1: Has decided I'm not even going to say anything about Daddy Trump because they're fearful of that backlash. And we've seen many instances in the past where people, you know, comment Trump and it ends up being too very much to their detriment. So I wouldn't be surprised by that outcome at all. I think he's got to do what he's doing right now. I think it is, you know, he's got to take a shot. You can't just sit there and continue to take on water and take all the hits from Trump and not say anything in your defense and not try to push back. But you know, I continue to be skeptical that it's really going to work.
Speaker 3: Out for it. That's why I admire it, because it's genuinely risky. You know.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean remember how many times we were talking during the twenty twenty primary with the Democrats or like Bernie Sanders refuses to hit you know, Bernie uh toe Biden because you personally likes him, and you know, even though tech he's like, oh, it's existential, but also he's my old friend Joe.
Speaker 3: It's like, listen, you very rarely see it.
Speaker 2: You very rarely see somebody who's a legitimate contender number two actually go after the number one because of their overall political popularity.
Speaker 3: It's actually usually you see.
Speaker 2: It from like the the number five and the number six and all that, and then there's all because I mean, here's the reason why, which is that the number two preference for Trump voters is one hundred percent going to be Ron DeSantis, and all the second choice data will back that up vice versa. In terms of DeSantis, a lot of the people who like DeSantis the big portion, not the I'm done with Trump are I like Trump, I'm willing to consider somebody else. Well, those people they're gonna have Trump as their number two. They don't really like to see party in fighting the whole Reagan rule thou shall not attack or whatever a fellow Republican. And DeSantis has decided correctly, I think, which is look, kissing his ass all the way to the finish line. It's not gonna work, as you saw by his sinking like a rock in all of these polls. The only way is to draw a contrast high risk because also he could flame out, you know, he could lose, go down and then never be seen as a treadible, credible alternative to Trump in the future. And Trump will not only win the primary, but then ridicule and make fun of him for the next eight year.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, so this is a very risky strategy. Yeah, which is again why I respect it. It might work.
Speaker 1: That is that's a good point. A lot of the other people that are in the race. Yeah, they'd like to be president now, they'd like to be Trump, but they're also positioning themselves for like maybe.
Speaker 4: I'll get a cabinet stirs terry of Treasury. Maybe, you know, if.
Speaker 1: Trump wins, then he can only serve one term. Maybe I'll be next in line. And if that's a strategy you are pursuing, the most intelligent thing to do is.
Speaker 4: To you know, basically praise. I like Trump's policies and he was a great leader.
Speaker 1: I just think it's time to move on or say something generic like that, like that's kind of the Tim Scott approach, for example. And so, yeah, Santis has put all his eggs in this basket because very likely if you genuinely go on the offense against Trump and it doesn't.
Speaker 4: Work out for you, you may.
Speaker 1: Be dead within Republican politics in terms of ever running for president again. Certainly in terms of getting any sort of like plumb post ambassadorship or cabinet position or whatever in a future potential Trump administration, you could be crushing your entire political future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's only forty four years old. He's not playing it safe, and you know, personally.
Speaker 3: I like it. Yeah, all right, So let's go to the next one here.
Speaker 2: It's a bit of a problem for Ron, you know, after we just praised him a little bit. Put this up there about the starring rob.
Speaker 3: Let's put this up there on the screen.
Speaker 2: Leaked audio from a Ron Desanta's donor event is very bad news for his campaign. This is a reporter over at the Daily Beast. You got his hands on some leaked audio from inside of this. But it actually shows data internal Ron DeSantis data, which is really not that great. The data they showed showed both Trump and DeSantis quote unquote virtually tied. Now, of course they're trying to show the silver linings, but really what they did is they presented data showing him with better favorability in.
Speaker 3: Some of these states.
Speaker 2: But they also had a presentation where they try to explain why Desantas is not running stronger against Trump, but that means that the governor has not faced any current substance of a tax as president. They show that his favorability ratings actually might be inflated because he hasn't been fully attacked and defined by Trump on this. And it's also shows you that his favorability rating Trump's is still so high in every single one of these places, and not only that, according to their internal data, it's.
Speaker 3: Almost immovable at this point.
Speaker 2: And to that, I think they're right, which is what can you possibly say about him that has.
Speaker 3: Not been said?
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything exists every person in this country has been bombarded for the last seven years with ex Trump, the good things about Trump, bad things about Trump. It's exhausting, and so you're never I really believe at this point you will not change the way that anybody feels about Trump. You may like now, you could change somebody who goes I like him. I don't think it'll be as effective as a president. Again, I just did a whole segment on this where I'm like, I don't. I think that's a very tall order, but maybe that's something that could actually happen. But when you're looking at some of his internal data here even in the early voting states, to basically admit that your favorability ratings aren't as high as Trump, and that you're basically trying to show that, you know, a lot of this is even pre hotly contested primary that's not necessarily the bad thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you know all campaigns will do this still, cherry pick data to present to donors that's like their best theory of the case. And so Daily Beast gets their hands on this leaked audio, and the problem for the DeSantis camp is that it's sort of obvious by the way they're cherry picking things and what the numbers are. On the other side, that they have a pretty that they got a tough road, and then in some ways the data that they picked actually made a better case for Trump than it made for DeSantis. One of the pieces that I found particularly interesting is DeSantis's team presented datas showing voters believe the governor to be more conservative than Trump, a fact the presenter can be heard in the leaked audio saying quote is really important in a Republican primary. Indeed, DeSantis is considered very conservative by half of likely GOP voters in Iowa, forty three percent in New Hampshire, forty five percent in South Carolina. But the problem is Trump is actually winning voters who say that they are very conservative. So even though voters in the GOP base think DeSantis by and large they think he's more conservative than Trump, even those who self identify as like, yeah, that's my lane and that's how I identify myself, many of them majority are still voting for Trump. So DeSantis, the way he's positioned himself is I'm a hit Trump from the right. I'm a position myself to the right on key issues like abortion for example, and that's going to be my way of sort of stripping some of his voting base from him by persuading them that I am the real conservative. But at least at this early stage in the game, he has successfully convinced voters that he is more conservative than Trump, but they're still like, yeah, I've always still liked Trump. Yes, I mean, that's pretty damaging in terms of your prospects. And the other thing that you were pointing to sober that I think is really important. Trump's favorability, which is high among Republicans, is it's a solid as.
Speaker 4: It could possibly be.
Speaker 3: It will change, It's not going to change.
Speaker 1: DeSantis has a high favorability among Republican voters, but people know him a lot less and so his is a lot softer. So it's unlikely it's going to go up, very possible that it goes down. So that is, you know, that's a potential weakness for him. Now they are presenting it as like, oh, he hasn't even introduced himself to the public, But the flip side of that is, yeah, he also hasn't gotten into the full melee of a presidential campaign, with where ratings almost always go down rather than go up. Because you're just taking on so much water from everybody else.
Speaker 2: It's also worth talking about favorability to Republicans. Do you know what that actually means. It means how much the liberal mainstream media hates you. That's basically it. And it's like Trump, you can say many things.
Speaker 3: He is the king of being hated.
Speaker 2: Sure the media hates DeSantis, but they don't necessarily hate him in the same visceral like he's a fascist and all these other cringe you know, takes that have been flying around now for seven years. Trump is the king of that, Like he is the person who invites more emotional reaction than any single human being probably in the United States, which, by the other, you know, the contrast is a huge number of Republicans love that about him because he pisses off their enemies more than anyone else. Desantus, you know, part of his whole thing about like I'm getting serious. Part of seriousness is not engaging in Mika Brazinski's facelift and pissing people off. So that's difficult, you know, for your favorability ratings. Again, that's a great case. Most of the general election, and most Americans are exhausted by that, but Republicans specifically actually love it more than anything. Now, are there enough of them who are exhausted by it? None of that that currently indicates that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, by the way, Republicans think that Trump is more likely to win in the fall, now whether that's whether that's the case, so that wasn't from this leaked audio, that's from other peoples. They'd see him as a stronger candidate to defeat Joe Biden. Whether that's true or not, literally don't know. I think that Dessanta, some of the ideological positioning he has done has made him more vulnerable in terms of a general election and compromise some of his electability case to voters in my opinion, But you know, who knows what the whimsor voters are at the end of the day. I really don't advise you all to be thinking about candidates in terms of trying to play pundit and predict which one is going to win and which one is not going to win. But you know that is also an issue for him that his two key cases are I'm the true conservative and people are like that's true, but we still like Trump, and I'm more electable and people are like, yeah, we don't really buy that. We think Trump Trump, We think Trump did win. We think he you know, we obviously won in twenty sixteen. We think he won in twenty twenty. We think he can win again, and we want to stick with our guy. I think, you know, picking up on one you made Zccer, which I think is very insightful. The most successful politicians, Yeah, they don't change people like what they're already thinking. They speak to something people already feel but maybe haven't fully articulated. Maybe hasn't you know, no one has really grabbed on to the sentiment and being able to run with it. So it's something that's there, bubbling under the surface, and they're able to harness that and really capture that. I think Trump is a perfect example of that in twenty sixteen speaking to you know, the carnage and the russ ballot, and I mean there was a lot, in my opinion, very ugly like xenophobia that was packed into that, but there was a genuine sentiment of the area that I live in, my prospects for myself, my prospects for my kids, Like no one is really speaking to these challenges. And Hillary Clinton was the perfect opponent for him to go up against to make the case of like, these are the people that sold you out. So he really spoke to something that was already there that no one was capturing. And I just don't see any sign that DeSantis, in order to overcome Trump, who is a juggernaut within the Republican primary, is a juggernaut in American politics period.
Speaker 4: In order to do that, you are really.
Speaker 1: Going to have to have that same like spidy sense of what it is bubbling underneath the surface for the Republican base, that isn't being harnessed, isn't being articulated, isn't being spoken to. I personally don't see that he has managed to pull that off yet, But I'm also not a Republican voter, so maybe he has more insights into this than I do.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean, at this time, it's really a wait and see game and we'll just see how it works out.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the next part on Ukraine.
Speaker 2: There's some big important developments that have been happening in the Ukraine conflict. One of them, of course, was the Ukrainian presumptive Ukrainian strikes on Russian territory on Moscow, that ended up going into residential areas. Coming after a second attack on the Kremlin itself, the White House Press Corps asked the Biden administration, Hey, are you guys cool with our allied supposed allied government striking Russia and residential areas and potentially even with US equipment after they promised that they would never do so when you provided them with F sixteen's, And she didn't have a real answer.
Speaker 3: Here's what she had to say.
Speaker 6: It's the president belief that Ukraine risks losing the moral high ground.
Speaker 4: In this conflict if it strikes at Tehia cimillion targets in Moscow.
Speaker 7: So I'm going to be very clear, we're gathering information. I'm not going to get into hypotheticals from here. We do not support the use of US made equipment being used for attax inside of Russia. We've been very clear about that.
Speaker 2: Oh, we've been very clear about that. We don't support it. We're still gathering.
Speaker 3: But here's the issue.
Speaker 2: The US is not the only one who's involved in this conflict, and in fact, our so called cousins, I guess across the Atlantic, if you think our press and our country is crazy about Ukraine.
Speaker 3: As I found out while I was over there, we got nothing on the UK.
Speaker 2: Put this up up there on the screen because it includes an important quote from the British Foreign Secretary, so effectively their Secretary of State, James Cleverly. He says quote Ukraine has the right to project force beyond its borders. And also a spokesperson for the German government said that international law of course allowed Ukraine to strike Russian territory in self defense, but then added that Berlin opposed the use of German weapons for such attacks. The Brits actually did not use the qualifier that they shouldn't use Theirs.
Speaker 3: And this is why it's so messy. No one is saying that they don't have the.
Speaker 2: Right to project force beyond their borders, which is what you know, Cleverly seems to be using this as And no one is.
Speaker 3: Saying that you can do whatever you want now.
Speaker 2: The idea though, that you should do whatever you want with the stuff that we give you is a whole other conversation. And actually, just this morning, crystal ironically, in the Washington Post, they published a story which is you know, people are already freaking out about because it just tells the truth quote Biden shows growing appetite to cross Putin's red lines.
Speaker 3: And here's what I love.
Speaker 2: Here is how the US defense policy makers put aside problems with red lines. US officials say the dynamic reason for brushing aside the threats is that, since the opening doors of the war, Russia's president has not followed through on promises to punish the West for providing weapons to Ukraine. His bluffing has given US and European leaders some confidence they can continue doing so without severe consequences. But to what extent remains one of the most dangerous uncertainty. So basically their argument is, well, they haven't done anything yet, so we'll just keep upping the ante and giving the Ukrainians whatever they want. I will once again remind everyone that we are literally openly crossing Putin's red lines and all this maybe that's worth it. Whenever Texas is at stake or a real ally like NATO or any of other people. We're talking about the eastern Dunboss region of Ukraine. In what world does it make sense to potentially drag us into a world war by Biden's own work, like not my words, his words over a scrap of territory in a place we have no formal agreement with and literally has zero importance to the global economy.
Speaker 3: This does not mean that I am not do not.
Speaker 2: Have deep empathy for the people who live in that region, who have been flattened, who have been killed, for all the soldiers, and for all the people in Ukraine who've been unjustly bombed and been killed by.
Speaker 3: The Russian machine.
Speaker 2: That does not mean that we should then put ourselves though, in a place where we need to risk our own national security over this you know, area of the globe. It's this basic cost benefit analysis which only you know are makes sense to people, Chrystal when you start using terms like democracy or you know, autocracy versus democracy, when we forget that one of the places that was invader is one of the most corrupt countries on planet Earth, invaded by the way, by one of the other most corrupt countries on planet Earth.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're using Ukraine as a pawn in our great power games.
Speaker 3: Ridiculous we're doing.
Speaker 1: It has nothing to do with the sanctity of democracy or you know, national sovereignty or any or our love for Zelenski or anything like that. It's we see an opportunity to weaken a country that has been a rival still have this like cold war mentality baked in there. We're fearful of their alliance with China. We don't like Putin, he doesn't, you know, sde to our wishes, and you know, he's gone rogues since we like handpicked him for the job, by the way originally, and so they see it as an opportunity to push him out, and they're using Ukrainian lives as like, you know, fodder for our war games. I think it is disgraceful that I don't agree that Ukraine has a right to just do whatever they want, because you're talking about targeting residential civilian buildings, and I don't think that that's acceptable. I mean, in any instance, I don't think it's accepted. I don't think it's acceptable, and Russia does it. I don't think it's acceptable when we do it. You know, these are regular Russian people who you know didn't start this war, and some of them may be adamantly opposed to it. So you know, it's the same thing is saying like we'd be fair game because of our individual civilians in America being fair game because we started the war in a rock. So I don't accept that framing, but you know, do I understand certainly the idea of like Ukraine projecting them and doing everything they can to win the war on there. Of course, right, that doesn't mean that our interests coincide with theirs. It doesn't mean that it's not incredibly risky and dangerous escalation. And if you're Russia looking at our reaction to the targeting of residential apartment buildings in downtown Moscow, and we can't be bothered to even like come close to connect we say this theoret Oh we told them not to use our weapons for these strikes. Yeah, you're gonna just be furthered in your belief that this is in fact a proxy war and that we are in many ways enabling these types of attacks on their soil. I mean not, in many ways, we effectively are enabling these types of attacks on their soil. And it's also very likely to harden the Russian population and make them more committed to the war. Effort and willing to sustain and endure were hardship and you know, difficulties in order to be successful. So you can see that the Krumlin spokesman Dmitri Peskov, he's told reporters to Russia would have preferred to hear at least some words of condemnation and said we will calmly and deliberately think how to deal with this. I also always just reject this idea that's floated in the Washington Post and by the Biden administration that like, oh, Russia hasn't responded.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's true. I think they have responded.
Speaker 1: I think they have escalated, they did a draft, they've continued to expand operations, They've you know, stepped up their bombing of Kiev, which is horrific for the people that live there. So and they have just recently started talking again about nuke. Some of that talk had sort of like faded away. Now it's getting back into the official statements. And I think we even if there's a tiny, tiny, tiny percent chance that you know, that's a possibility, it's something we have to take deadly seriously.
Speaker 3: Of course, you have to take it seriously.
Speaker 2: These people have once again, these people have nuclear weapons, and everyone's like, oh, you're supposed to just back down. I mean no, whenever we're talking about again Berlin, Yes, maybe when we're talking about a scrap that literally has no effect on any of our lives here whatsoever. And look at the way this is. Medvedev put this up there on the screen. He was supposed to be the reasonable one. Look at the way that these people are talking. Now they've gone nuts, he says. The UK's Foreign secretary cleverly has stated Ukraine is a legitimate right to protect force. According to him, legitimate military beyond military targets beyond Ukraine's borders are part of its self defense. The goofy officials of the UK are quote eternal enemy. Should remember that within the framework of the universally accepted international law, of which they of course ignore, their state can also be qualified as being at war today. The UK acts as Ukraine's ally, providing it with military aid in the form of the equipment and specialist de facto is leading an undeclared war against Russia. That being the case, any of its public officials who facilitate the war can be considered as a legitimate military target. I mean basically openingly threatening assassination and you know death. I mean, look, this is scary stuff, and you know people will say, oh, he said it before I said it before, maybe say at fifteen times on the sixteenth time you're right, and the risk of being right on or the risk of being real on the sixteenth time so high that you should probably just do everything in your power to make sure that it doesn't happen, and that you only breach and get up to this point whenever it's actually worth it, you know. And I guess ilhan Omar who has had a very strange I guess relationship with Ukraine war. She's anti war, but then on Ukraine she's not saying much. She was confronted by a reporter Liam Cosgrove yesterday on Capitol Hill and said, hey, if what are you willing to reconsider at least your support for Ukraine if they're going to be bombing, you know, targets inside of Russia.
Speaker 3: Here's what she had to say.
Speaker 8: If there is escalation where Ukraine is now fighting inside of Russia and causing lives to be lost in that regard, then you know, we would have to make a different calculation.
Speaker 9: I've got some comments from Jerry Nailer last week and he said kind of the opposite. He said he personally wouldn't care if they do attack Russia with our weapons. So you disagree with them on.
Speaker 4: That, Oh, certainly, I think you know.
Speaker 8: For me, my support for Ukraine has always been to preserve lives, for them to be able to have the resources that they need to minimize the number of people that were being killed because Russia invaded, and you know, in that space, I only want.
Speaker 4: People in battle to be heard. So if there are.
Speaker 8: Ukrainians that are now attacking Russians in Russia, that changes the culculation.
Speaker 9: And so last question for you, would this change your decision on continued support, continued funding and military support.
Speaker 8: I would have to learn more, but certainly it does change my calculation in the way that I think about supporting sovereignty and preserving lives.
Speaker 2: Interesting comments, Interesting listen, I think she deserves well earned criticism or supposedly being anti war then shipping them, voting for weapons.
Speaker 3: To Ukrainie and all this.
Speaker 2: But you've got to give credit where it is due, at least willing to come out and say it whenever it's out there.
Speaker 3: And credit to the guy also for asking.
Speaker 1: And let me say, you know, I think the calculation on these things is difficult because especially the early packages of aid. I mean, I supported some of the early packages of aid. When you're talking about, you know, Russia invades them, it's an illegal war. They're trying to defend themselves like. That's a very sympathetic cause and one that someone who is anti war could genuinely support. When you get to this point and you've had the Biden administration really clearly spell out that this isn't about just Ukrainians sovereignty, this is about let's try to topple the Putin regime. When you've had not just this instance, you've had multiple instances of the Ukrainians attacking Russians on Russian soil, and you know, increasingly brazen strikes, including one on the Krumlin that you know it was sort of like a rather pathetic attempt in this fascination if it was, but still you're you're striking the Kremlin like that is pretty wild. That should at the very least cause people to pause and reconsider their calculations. What I want to say is, you know, I wish more journalists were pressing politicians in this way and framing it in this regard.
Speaker 4: In almost every instance, they're.
Speaker 1: Getting pushed from the other perspective, where it's like why didn't you send the F sixteen sooner?
Speaker 4: And what about you know, what about the no fly zone or whatever?
Speaker 1: It's usually it's always pushing in the other direction. So it's nice to see a journalist who is framing questions in this way and pushing in the other direction of what about you know, I'd love to see more.
Speaker 4: What about the plums? Do you remember?
Speaker 1: And Ryan asked a question about the plums? He was like the only one in the White House Press briefing room whoever asked a question about, Hey, what can we.
Speaker 4: Do to enable diplomacy here?
Speaker 1: We need a whole lot of that because ultimately, you know, if you get politicians on the record and you force them to sort of grapple with what their positions are and how they align or miss the line with their stated principles, it can be a powerful force.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: Give a shout out to him. Liam Cosgrove is his name. You guys should go follow him on Twitter. It's done a couple of good things.
Speaker 4: Actually, he also he got those comments from Jerry Nadler.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 2: He also got the comments from Nadler, so hey, you know, we support He also asked of the State Department an interesting question as well, so go throw them the follow We'd like to support people who are doing interesting work stuff.
Speaker 4: Like that here, all right, so aready looking at well?
Speaker 2: Last week I did a monologue delving into the price of used cars and what's driving the price up. The usual suspects all appeared demand quality of cars, but really it pointed the finger at the financialization of car companies and of car dealers themselves. I've always been obsessed recently with car dealers their business models now for a few years, and it all traces to a little noticed study that I came across, actually, which opened my eyes as to who the so called blue collar rich in America are. Everyone knows people in finance and Silicon Valley as rich, but what the other rich people who don't work in those sectors.
Speaker 3: Who are they?
Speaker 2: A twenty nineteen study of ze point one percent earners in America, defined as those who make more than one point five to eight million dollars cash per year on paper, revealed that the most common occupation among them was one car dealer. In fact, one estimate finds twenty percent of all car dealers in America have an owner making more than one point five million dollars.
Speaker 3: Now, how is that possible?
Speaker 2: Well, a new dispatch actually from the National Association of Car Dealers meeting it tells us a lot about it. Car dealers spend tens of millions of dollars per year to lobby federal, state, and local officials. They do a few things that are very important to them. Number one, they regulate land so that nobody else can start a rival dealership. Too, they regulate licensing to prevent the same thing. But now an urgent and important initiative that they care about most of all preventing direct sales of vehicles to consumers by manufacturers. The latest threat arose with the prominence of Tesla, which got rid of the dealer model for its cars, and it allows consumers to buy directly from the company. Naturally, they took issue with that. Car dealers now spent millions of dollars successfully passing laws in states banning consumers from buying cars directly from manufacturers. They do this only because not only does it mean their survival, but actually puts a moat around their ability to extract as much profit as they can from their existing sales. Now, recall, a study has showed you before by the Labor Department. It finds it between twenty nineteen and twenty twenty two, dealers use their regulated monopoly status to dramatically drive.
Speaker 3: Up the price of used cars.
Speaker 2: The Labor Department actually found dealer markup alone accounts for anywhere between thirty five to sixty two percent of all inflation in vehicle pricing across the United States. Now, as I've said, that's great work if you can get it. By all accounts, all the auto dealers in the country actually made more money in the last three years than ever before, meaning that if they were making one point five million a year on average in twenty nineteen, it might even be double that today. All of this on display at the latest meeting of this national Association of Dealers, where they were remarkably candid about how well that they did over the last three year, and about worries and what them the most in the future.
Speaker 3: The answer is simple electric vehicles.
Speaker 2: As I mentioned before, Tessa's direct to consumer model actually woke a lot of people up, not just in the EV world, but for companies like Rivian, which has been floated. It's also been floated by company CEOs like Ford and others who secretly would love to ditch the dealers. But the dealers are not idiots, and they know this. They have dropped the hammer and money on every politician in America. In fact, as Slate found in Florida, there are currently two dealer sponsored bills making their way through to the Ron DeSantis desk, which, by all accounts, he will likely sign. It will make it illegal for car manufacturers to set transparent prices for their cars, and it would allow buyers to would allow buyers to order.
Speaker 3: Evs from legacy manufacturers online.
Speaker 2: It would disallow that, but even with that mote, evs still represent a real threat to dealer profits. The vast majority of dealer profits don't come from the sale of cars. They actually make it from financing and from servicing. EV's, no matter whom may make them have far less component parts, they don't need oil changes, they don't need as much servicing. In fact, evs generate some forty percent less aftermarket revenue for dealers. On top of that, as Slate explains, can't just repurpose a regular old mechanic to work on an EV when they come in actually costs a lot for specialized training, so they make less money and they have to pay for specialized labor. Not a genius then to see why they all hate it so much. It's reflected in the numbers right now. Two thirds of US car dealers in America don't have any.
Speaker 3: EVS to sell.
Speaker 2: Forty five percent of dealers say straight up, we will never sell them, no matter what happens. Over and over again, you see massive resistance within the dealer community to EVS. What research I did for this monologue taught me is that the current Biden plan for EVS has a deep flaw. It only focuses on manufacturers and on consumers, but it forgot dealers basically run this country like it or not. We've got to get some programs in place to incentivize uptake amongst dealers for evs, or they will just rig the mart and the local laws to prevent them from being sold. What this represents is the reality of dealing in the car business in America. It also demonstrates another hole in the ev uptake strategy. Remember that, according to the state of California, all new cars trucks sold in the state in a little over a decade must be electric.
Speaker 3: How is that going to work?
Speaker 2: Alongside the Biden administration's pledge that half of all new cars sold in the US must be electric in twenty thirty. That is seven years away, and we're only a ten percent. The infrastructure to support these cars for long haul driving is nowhere even close unless you own a Tesla. We have major, major work to do if you want to make this a reality, and increasingly it just doesn't look like it's going to happen. You can either have an electric future or you can have a colossal boondoggle, and right now the latter just looks more likely than ever.
Speaker 3: I'm curious what you think, Ryssel.
Speaker 1: And if you want to hear my reaction to Sager's monologue, become a premium subscriber today at breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 3: So what do you taking a look at?
Speaker 1: Well, guys, there is a new anti woke hit topping the charts literally actually, including a video wherein the artist peruses the aisles at target and search for any item that might be construed as LGBTQ friendly.
Speaker 4: Take a look.
Speaker 10: Target target ye had azarggian and target target ye had a target cans target target ye had a target and target targean.
Speaker 4: Anyway, get the point there? This comes a mad.
Speaker 1: Of course, a rash of conservative freak out over various corporate pride gestures all started with the campaign against bud Light for their use of a trans influencer, But now cloud chasers are looking for all manner of meaningless corporate pro gay virtue signaling to freak out about. One movement is focused on the fact that Chick fil A, a notably conservative corporation, has a diversity officer. Someone dug up an old Ford Raptor ad from like two years ago in an attempt to spark a Ford boycott.
Speaker 4: Target, of course.
Speaker 1: Been taking huge incoming over a store pride display. Let's be clear, these companies have no ideology outside of making money, no agenda other than selling like more trucks and more chicken sandwiches. But some segment of conservative media figures and their followers have thoroughly lost their minds on wocism in general and on gay rights in particular. For example, as Emily and I covered yesterday, Ted Cruz was trashed by Republicans, including former Trump lawyer Jenna Ellis, for daring to signal opposition to a Uganda law that would literally imprison all.
Speaker 4: Gay people for life. What is wrong? With you people.
Speaker 1: Let me just insert a little bit of political reality into this discussion here. In twenty twenty three, America, gay rights are actually really popular, and it's by a lot. Support for gay marriage has now reached a record breaking seventy one percent. In fact, acceptance of gay marriage is so widespread even a majority of Republicans support.
Speaker 4: Gay marriage now.
Speaker 1: And I haven't specifically seen pulling on life in prison for all gays, but I'm gonna go ahead out on a limb, and guess it's pretty unpopular now. Support for trans people has also risen dramatically in recent years. Sixty six percent of Americans support allowing trans men and women to serve openly in the military. Large majority support laws that were protect trans people from discrimination in penance. On balance, tell polsters they see trans people as a net societal good. Corporate America has embraced generic displays of LGBTQ support because it's popular and thus they think it's going to help them make money. Now, the right does have majority support on a few issues. They're with the majority on questions about trans girls competing with ciss girls in sports and on a general level of discomfort around kids transitioning. Now, ladies and gentlemen, we are in the phase of the movement one might.
Speaker 4: Call wild overreach.
Speaker 1: It's easy to forget that in the ancient times of twenty twenty, Trump was actually selling pride hats with a rainbow colored MAGA logo to honor.
Speaker 4: His LGBTQ supporters.
Speaker 1: But between now and then a politically strategic pushback on wokeness and a narrow focus on the nexus of trans issues and kids, it has morphed wildly into an all out assault on anything with a rainbow that might smack of tolerance. This looks like a mirror image reaction to what people like Ronda Santis call the woke mind virus. Liberals they were on solid footing when they were fighting for civil rights and color blindness, broadly shared.
Speaker 4: Values across the society.
Speaker 1: When the push for tolerance slid into authoritarian demands for equity, complete with word policing, censorship, and enforced group think, it was disastrous for Democrats, and it was actually a key component of the appeal of Trump. Republicans have now quickly slid from a critique of woke overreach into their own spiral of extremism and insanity driven by their most rabid and most online base. It's an anti woke mind virus. This has resulted in book bands for speech laws and state mandated ideologies in school curriculum, and has resulted in the current vogue in Republican circles of drudging up any and all pride related virtue, signaling for boycotts and pearl clutching meltowns, having panic attacks over all nods towards any sort of diversity. It's also pretty clear at this point that even the original more narrow focus on kids, athletes, and schools, it wasn't a particular political winner for Republicans. After some promising results in Virginia, Republican candidates across the country leaned into trans panic and races from coast to coo groups sprung up to back school board candidates explicitly running ideological campaigns against so called gender ideology and critical race theory. It didn't actually work out that wall. Republicans, of course, wildly underperformed in the midterms, and many of the right wing crusading school board members ultimately lost. Now, I would chalk this up to two primary factors. First and foremost, just wasn't a top issue for a lot of voters, not a lot of folks heading to the polls to notch their opinion on the like one trans kid playing high school sports in their state, and two the overturning of Roe versus wide handed Democrats the most potent issue electorally that they have had in a very long time, and the abortion dynamic.
Speaker 4: It's actually instructive.
Speaker 1: Americans have very complex, conflicting feelings on the issue, just as they do on trans issues. With the Dobbs decision, all of the ground Republicans are fighting on now is extreme ground, things like six week bands and national abortion bands. Whichever party plays most aggressively to their extremists on cultural issues, that party is likely to lose. And with plenty of Republicans eagerly lining up behind the most deranged, anti gay, anti trans parts of their they've taken what was n oka issue for them and turned it into a very clear liability. In twenty twenty two, Republicans, they seemingly had everything going for them. Inflation was high, the president was really unpopular, overwhelming majority said the country was on the wrong track, and yet the red wave never materialized, and there was really one overwhelming reason why in cities, suburbs, and small towns alike, voters were repulsed by the GOP's ideological extremism on abortion and on stop this deal. Now you can add another issue where Republicans are increasingly aligning themselves with an extreme anti gay panic that is less popular than defund the police. Long story short, This whole thing you guys are doing here probably not going to help you if you actually want to beat Joe Biden and Sager.
Speaker 4: I wonder what you think of all of this.
Speaker 2: And if you want to hear my reaction to Crystal's monologue, become a premium subscriber today at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 3: Joining us now is a journalist Alison Young. She is also a professor.
Speaker 2: At the Misses School of Journalism, but for importantly for our purposes, author of a new book on lab leaks, Pandora's Gamble, lab Leaks, Pandemics, and a World at Risk.
Speaker 3: Alison, thank you so much for joining us. We really appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Daddy, Allison, thank you so you came.
Speaker 2: To notice We've been covering lab leak now here for a couple of years, but I've also been doing some deeper dives for a piece that you published about anthrax that you were able to reveal in your book. Pandora's gamble, Maybe first just give people an overview of the book, and.
Speaker 3: Then we'll delve a little bit into anthrax itself.
Speaker 11: Sure, so, I have been an investigative reporter covering laboratory accents for fifteen years. I mean, everyone's interested in lab leaks right now. But the issue of the kinds of problems that are in these high containment labs has been a problem for a very long time. And so Pandora's gamble is looking at the whole question of did COVID nineteen come from a laboratory accident? In the larger context that these kinds of accidents happen all the time.
Speaker 4: Elaborate on that.
Speaker 1: When you say these kinds of accidents happen all the time, what are we talking about and what is it that leads to viruses escaping the lab?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 11: So, there are a variety of levels of laboratory accidents. I mean, you have people get bitten by infectious animals, they stick themselves with needles, they cut themselves with scalpels, they splash infectious fluids on themselves, various sort of airflow systems that help keep microbes inside cabinets or inside facilities. Those systems fail, wastewater systems leak. There are all kinds.
Speaker 12: Of issues in these facilities. The good news is.
Speaker 11: The majority of time people don't become infected. But that's really a matter of luck. And the question is, you know, how long will our luck last? And has it actually already run out?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I think that was so important, which is that you know, you know muhan. We can focus all day on that, and I think, you know, basically, at this point it almost is tedious to go through the details. The more parties, like how many more wuhans are there, how many wuhans have actually happened here in the United States. You really opened my eyes to this piece about did a military lab spill anthrax into public waterways?
Speaker 3: Focusing on a twenty eighteen accident.
Speaker 2: Can you give us some of the details what you're able to uncover exclusively in your book.
Speaker 12: Yes.
Speaker 11: So, on the Friday before Memorial Day in twenty eighteen, at Fort Dietrich, one of the premier labs run by the US Army USAMRED, they had a wastewater tank, a fifty thousand gallon wastewater tank, which by the way, was rusting and had a variety of other problems.
Speaker 12: One of the pipes burst.
Speaker 11: On it and it shot over a containment wall as much as three thousand gallons of unsterilized laboratory waste. And in the weeks before that happened, those labs had been working with anthrax, ebola, marburg virus, I mean, a variety of the most dangerous pathogens in the world.
Speaker 12: So that's bad enough, But one of the bigger.
Speaker 11: Problems is that that incident has been kept secret until now. The Army only admitted late a few weeks after the incidents happened that they had had flooding and that there had been a leak, but they didn't say there were three thousand gallons in that leak. And that's a huge omission. And these kinds of omissions, and the secrecy that surrounds these accidents is pervasive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so what was the fallout from that incident? What is the fallout today from that incident? And you know what should be learned from it?
Speaker 11: So at the time, this was one of a series of problems at that facility. In twenty nineteen, the federal government took the rare step of suspending usamred's ability to work with what are called select agent pathogens. But why that happened, other than that there were various safety issues, was not known until now.
Speaker 12: So there is now starting to be.
Speaker 11: Fallout from the revelations of the book that it was three thousand gallons. I mean, there's a citizens commission in Frederick, Maryland, which is just north of the Washington, DC area.
Speaker 12: They were not aware.
Speaker 11: They had asked questions of what had happened in this incidant, and the army didn't tell them, and so they're learning about it from the book as well.
Speaker 3: One of our camera guys that lives there, so he's probably finding this out live.
Speaker 11: And the thing for people who are not in this area that they don't realize is so this all happened in an area where there was an open storm drain that went into something called Carroll Creek, and that's the centerpiece of downtown Frederick. It's a beautiful area and entertainment district well.
Speaker 2: And so, Alison, one of the things I respect so much by your work is that you're looking at this dispassionately and you're reporting very basic facts. You've published previously about near misses at the UNC Chapel Hill and high security labs and accidents with coronaviruses.
Speaker 3: So, once again, put Wuhan aside, why is the some.
Speaker 2: Of this research, why does it lead to these types of accidents, This particular one, coronavirus research itself, seems to be at the tip of some of the worst accidents that we've seen in labs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 11: The thing that's really concerning about accidents with coronavirus or various kinds of avian flu viruses are that those are pathogens that can spread from person to person. Is we've all learned with the current pandemic, you want to be sure that you have high safety standards there. The accidents that occurred at UNC show that these accidents happen everywhere.
Speaker 12: And the question of why is we're human beings.
Speaker 1: Accidents happen, right, And so with that in mind, you know, what do you do? Do You just stop researching things? You know, are there ways you can tighten up the security procedures so that accidents are much much much less likely, because as you state, I mean, it seems like there are so many ways that something can escape the lab. That it's very difficult to make sure that every single thing is locked down.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there are a couple of things that have been proposed for a very long time. One of the things I think that surprises people is that there is no universal regulation of biosafety in laboratories.
Speaker 12: Now, think about that.
Speaker 11: Okay, a lot of it is sort of a mixture of guidance. There are some regulations of various sort of piecemeal, but it's fragmented and it largely relies on these labs policing themselves. The other issue is that, unlike in a lot of other areas, there is almost no transparency for the public. Which transparency is a key component of accountability, and so it not only shields the mistakes and lacks safety practices of labs, it also shields those organizations that we the public are trusting from the accountability to know that they're doing their jobs.
Speaker 2: That's been such a difficult part of the line. I've seen it with members of Congress. Most of them don't even know about what any of these research. They don't even know about the money that they are appropriating in bills to fund this. So have you seen you know, obviously COVID woke the entire world up to this dynamic. Yet you know, money wise, it seems like the cannon is still going towards this.
Speaker 3: Do you think we've made any meaningful progress or.
Speaker 2: Can you know with the release of books like yours, or even public awareness around the release of COVID, what do you think?
Speaker 11: Well this area right now there is huge public awareness and concern about the issue of did COVID come from a laboratory accent? And I think it's important for the public to start thinking about this, as you've said, in a wider sense that if whether or not COVID nineteen came from a laboratory accents.
Speaker 12: The Government Accountability Office, which is.
Speaker 11: A nonpartisan, not a hysterical organization anyway, they have been warning for more than a decade that the growing number of labs, the more research that we're doing, is increasing the risk of a catastrophic accident. And to your point, this research is really important, and so the issue is how do we do it safely?
Speaker 12: How is there accountability that's put into it.
Speaker 11: And one of the things on the funding is there is a lot more funding for research because of COVID. There are more labs being built because of COVID. But what is not usually earmarked in this legislation and in this funding is funding for biosafety. There are biosafety officers, but they often don't have the funding to do the kinds of safety oversight.
Speaker 4: Got is that part of the.
Speaker 1: Issue for reform too, that a lot of people do have you know, their careers and their you know, their ability to make money and published papers and whatever is wrapped up in this world and in this research. Is that a barrier to significant reform.
Speaker 11: There are huge conflicts of interest in this area. So if you're looking at where there are oversight mechanisms, currently, the organizations in the federal government that either have guidelines or some regulatory power, those same organizations fund the research and they do research themselves. And so in the case of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which is one of the agencies that oversees some of this research.
Speaker 12: Their labs have had some of the worst accidents.
Speaker 11: Okay, So I mean those are the same people and they have an interest in secrecy and not having public transparency.
Speaker 5: So on.
Speaker 12: The one of the issues that.
Speaker 11: Various experts have put forth is should there be a separate independent entity outside of the research community, but obviously grounded in science that is overseeing this. I mean a great analogy is how nuclear the nuclear industry is regulated.
Speaker 4: Right, That's such a great point.
Speaker 1: And lastly, I think Sager's right that it is sort of tedious at this point to go over all the details of the COVID lab leak or not lab leak. I'm curious though, just given your expertise, that you've been studying this for so long, when you first started to learn about coronavirus and to think about what its origins might be, like, what were the thoughts that were going through your head initially?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean initially I have to say, like most people, I'm like, this couldn't be. You know, this couldn't be. But the more I looked into it, and especially I thought it couldn't be because some of the world's leading scientists came out of the gate saying this is.
Speaker 12: Absolutely not a lab larian.
Speaker 11: Absolutely absolutely, And as you know, we have later learned there were a number of secret meetings where they discussed their own concerns that this was not only a lab leak, but of a potentially engineered virus, and so that disconnect between what was being discussed privately by top scientists and what we were being told in the public was very concerning and and so once I started having a greater awareness of that, obviously with my background reporting on this issue for fifteen years, it was always plausible to me that this could be a laboratory accident.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly why we need drink. Because you know, you can't rely on these people to play it.
Speaker 3: They're human beings.
Speaker 2: They're not you know, specially nobody can police themselves. Probably Allison, you have done such an excellent job here. Really, thank you for in such a professional manner. I encourage everybody go and buy the book. We'll have a link down in the description to go ahead Pandora's Gamble. If you're just listening, go ahead and search it, buy it wherever you buy your books.
Speaker 4: And thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, absolutely.
Speaker 4: So, guys.
Speaker 1: As we mentioned at the top of the show, today is officially two years.
Speaker 3: Two years.
Speaker 1: Here are breaking points here at the desk. See since we got the desk very famous to usk and it's kind of one of those weird things like it feels like it flew by, but it also feels like a lifetime ago that we were even at Rising doing the thing. You guys know the story. You know, we decided to make the break go on on our own. We put our trust in faith that you all would be there for us, and you have come through in the most amazing way possible. So now as we get ready to you know, move on to year number three and to say goodbye to our beautiful set here and hello to a beautiful even more beautiful professional new set that you all made possible.
Speaker 4: Our producers and we haven't watched this yet yet, not yet.
Speaker 1: They put together a little I guess you call it like a highlight reel of Soger and ize time together. So we will be viewing this live along with you all. Let's take a look.
Speaker 7: Joining me now is saw there and Jet Team is White House correspondent for the Daily Caller.
Speaker 3: So let's jump right in. Thanks for having me, Arthil. Yeah, that's a very interesting question.
Speaker 2: Senator Ted Cruz has already come out against this bill, saying that it's just simply a non starter for him and for many of the other Conservatives in the Senate.
Speaker 1: We selection destroyed more than the Democratic majority in the Senate. It also shattered a number of myths, myths that have enabled democratic elite complacency. The last myth, and the one that will doom Democrats in twenty sixteen, needs to be busted right here. That myth has to do with the inevitability and electability of a Hillary Clinton presidency. I think, for me, the new Left is a democratic party that actually puts the interest of the working class at the center.
Speaker 3: What is the new right?
Speaker 2: It's a departure from the free market consensus. Is about your family, and it's about putting policy in place in order to make it so that you can live a successful and meaningful life.
Speaker 3: Good morning, everybody, Happy Tuesday. We have an amazing show for everybody today. What we have Bristol?
Speaker 4: Indeed we do.
Speaker 2: Good morning everybody, Happy Thursday. We have an amazing show for everybody today.
Speaker 3: Do a convention show. Do we have Crystal?
Speaker 4: Indeed we do.
Speaker 3: Good morning everybody, Happy Monday. We have an amazing show for everybody today. What do we have Crystal?
Speaker 4: Indeed we do? All right, Zider, what's on your radar?
Speaker 3: Full confession.
Speaker 2: I had an entire other radar written and I was ready to go for today.
Speaker 3: But then something happened that made me so hopped up and mad. I literally dropped everything I was doing. All right, Crystal, what's on your radar?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 1: As Twitter amuses itself with horrified reactions to Pete's cringiest whitest dands of all time, it's really quite simple, like you're not saying you.
Speaker 4: Love everything I say.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying I love everything you say. But there are these two new coalitions rising in America. You can either deal with that or you can try to ignore it and isolate yourself increasingly into these ideological corners. And I just think that is fundamentally the wrong.
Speaker 3: Well, that's foolish.
Speaker 1: We also have some big news, which is that today is going to be our last day at the Hill doing rising here, which we feel a lot of praise about.
Speaker 3: We've had an amazing run here. It's almost two years to the day since I believe officially became your So tell everybody, why'd you leave the Hill? What do you think, Chris Well, why did we leave the Hill?
Speaker 4: We wanted to live our values.
Speaker 1: We talk all the time about how much we believe in the new media ecosystem, how much we believe in independent media, free of any sort of corporate influence. And so even though I have to admit, like I'm really nervous and it feels very uncomfortable, but in a good way, we wanted to step out and go independent and do a show of our own.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing with Rising, We loved it. It's amazing that they let us get away with as much as we got two years through. At the end of the day, though I wanted to do a better show.
Speaker 4: You guys are honest.
Speaker 12: I mean we're talking about that early like.
Speaker 4: It's so rare.
Speaker 6: You say what you feel, and that is so valuable.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 4: Hold on, I'm about to make my entrance. There is the one and only Matt tyav.
Speaker 2: Of course, the best friend of the show to show, Glenn Greenwald, Tony's.
Speaker 4: Now we have Ken Clefvenstein, David Serda. Great to see sir, Great to see you, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Joining us now. My friend Jeremy Corbel, friend of the show.
Speaker 1: Connerson Rocanna had come out and called for her to resign, something that we considered quite courageous, given that you are a fellow California and you've taken quite a bit of heat for those comments. We're lucky to have you in studio today. Thanks big breaking news regarding lab leak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a news that should absolutely shock anyone except over at MSNBC.
Speaker 3: Let's put this up there on the screen.
Speaker 2: The lab leak most likely origin of COVID nineteen pandemic.
Speaker 3: The Energy Department now says.
Speaker 1: All out assault on train, land, air, sea, cyber truly just a shock and all effort from the Russians, and we are going to cover it from every angle.
Speaker 3: Hello Chicago, Hello, Hello Austin.
Speaker 2: Howdy, as they say in these parts, Hello Boston, Hello London.
Speaker 4: Guys are fired up tonight.
Speaker 3: I love it you guys inside into what you want helping us.
Speaker 4: This is what you have been helping us yet.
Speaker 2: The beautiful box of Lights is one of almost a dozen boxes that we have here in the studio and want to thank all of the yearly and the lifetime members Crystal who have signed up.
Speaker 3: We're helping us.
Speaker 2: This is the biggest expense ever in the history of breaking points.
Speaker 3: And it's costing a hell of a lot of money.
Speaker 2: But the reason that we are doing it is because we know how important it is not only to you to have something that looks and feels important, but something that you can share with.
Speaker 3: Your friends and your family and it will help us.
Speaker 1: When we launched, we only wanted to do it if we could do it the right way and continuously improve with your support. We believe in you, guys, We believe in the show. So thank you, thank you, thank you for this box and the many more like it, and can't wait for you to see the full set. I think you'll be as excited about it as we are.
Speaker 4: To growing a bat for going through all of it.
Speaker 1: They went all the way back to Daily callar Day, all the way back watching MSNBC and the cycle. Thank you, by the way for picking of the clips of me saying something that was actually like good and correct and one of the many cringey things that I said, Well.
Speaker 3: I don't want to think about it.
Speaker 2: I was like I need a shot a whiskey, even watching the original clip. Yeah, I mean, it's crazy to think about two years exactly to the day, almost Actually we're it's ten am here on the East Coast. This is exactly whenever we were attempting two years ago Bristol to go live and we were screwed by a mailchimp.
Speaker 4: We were over an hour and a half panicking.
Speaker 2: Because Mailchimp just decided not to let us send our email out to everybody. So yeah, we were absolutely losing our mind. Literally, yeah, what is it seven hundred something or whatever.
Speaker 1: But that was interesting what we said in those clips that almost it was almost two years to the day that we were rising together when we broke off, and now almost two years to the day that we're here launching kind of a new you know, I mean, it's the same show, but it's the set is really quite opning.
Speaker 2: So June first is the exact four year anniversary of the day officially became your rising co host. So, cause I was looking back through that, Wow, there's a photo first photo I ever found the two of us together from that time. I was like, wow, you know, like the iPhone memories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I was like, what a crazy time.
Speaker 2: It was actually us eating beef jerky start following.
Speaker 4: I think that's a sign I guess it's ready to go. Yeah, I guess. So.
Speaker 1: You know, one of the things that I really reflect on watching back that montage is how much the show has grown, how much we've had to adjust to the news. I mean, when when the Democratic primary, which you know, that was like a key part of what we're focused on and what that really made, you know, the interview with Andrew Yang and the fair coverage of the Bernie Sanders campaign and all of that, like that really sort of built us up.
Speaker 4: And then in an instant.
Speaker 1: That was over and it was COVID and that was the first time that we're like, all right, we got to we're going to really find out what we've got here, Like are people just here to hear us like you know, shit on Biden?
Speaker 4: Like I talk about it. Really you know, people were there for that.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed that, the panels and all that stuff, Or is there something more sustainable that we can build here? And so, you know, we went all in on trying to understand what was happening and trying to analyze what the political response to it was and what the reality was going to be for ordinary Americans versus what was being given to elites at the time. And I think when we were able to make that transition, that's when I knew that we would be able to do the show for the long term and that there was an audience there that, you know, really cared about the core values, not just the horse race of the politics of the day. And since then there have been a lot of other obviously major twists and turns in terms of the focus of the show and what's happening in the world and our coverage the Ukraine War that they played, you know, when Russia invaded Ukraine. Initially that was another big moment obviously in world politics most importantly, but in terms of huge shift and focus of coverage here, we both did all that we could to sort of bone up on our understanding of what was happening in the world.
Speaker 4: And I just want to say, like.
Speaker 1: First of all, I'm incredibly grateful to you. You know, I've had a lot of co.
Speaker 4: Hosts in my time, and I'm lucky I never did.
Speaker 1: I can tell you it's like it's it's a challenging relationship, and you.
Speaker 4: Know, with you make it easy, like it really is easy.
Speaker 1: We've had we've had some gnarly moments, but overall, especially since we launched here smooth Sailing, they're amazing partner. I couldn't be more fortunate and grateful. And then also to you guys, like through all those twists and turns and you know, different focuses of the show, and but maintaining the core values. Like you guys have been there and you've put your faith in us to try to interpret what's going on in the world as best we can.
Speaker 4: And I'm just so grateful for that same.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can't say it enough, and I'm sorry. You know, you only have to hear about the set for one more week and then it's there.
Speaker 3: Shut up about it and all that.
Speaker 2: But for real, I mean, it's just crazy to think, you know, two year anniversary to the day. I mean, you know, you and I we put this whole set on our individual credit cards.
Speaker 3: You have no idea if this thing is going to work out. I'm am I gonna be broke, like you know, like what's gonna happen?
Speaker 2: Like it's one of those where we left all this money on the table health insurance, you know, all of the easiness that comes with being attached to a corporate organization. It was a huge risk, I mean, is the biggest risk will probably ever take in our lives.
Speaker 3: And yet it's one of those where not only.
Speaker 2: Did it work out, but it actually built something you know, in my opinion, that we could have never imagined. And that's what the new set looks like, and I also want to tell everybody like we take it's such we take it so seriously. The responsibility that we have to all of you, like every day when we wake up in our team. The way that we think about it is like you gave us your hard earned cash and your money because you're supporting you believe in something like that is a leap of faith which we do not take for granted. And also I know that there's so many things that the that people still want to see about the show.
Speaker 3: We are you know, we try to be humble, like we.
Speaker 2: Are good if we make We have made so many mistakes and we will always try to not only own up to them, but improve upon them. So on the new set, you're going to see many things which I know people have asked about. We've already got a panel that has booked for the very first week. We've got politicians that are going to be coming in here. We are going to try and level up and take things exactly to where you always wanted it to go. So consider it a building period, a learning period for the two of us. I mean transitioning from just two people who show up, you know, to running your own company.
Speaker 3: Was was an insane.
Speaker 2: Transition I think, you know, just at a very basic, like fundamental level, and then also having to sit here and continue to do the show, like so many different things change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know I want to say, uh, Ryan and Emily, oh my god, joining the fold and what they've put together with counterpoints, which I you know, I'm a fan of. I enjoy watching it. I enjoy when I fill in for Ryan too. You know, they have their own dynamic and energy. A lot of times their issue focused a little different from ours. I think it has been so additive to the overall what we've been able to do here, and that just sort of like you know, came together in a way that has been really exciting. You know, our whole crew that supports us every day, Like, thank you guys so much. You guys have been amazing. Anytime we want, you know, we come up with these crazy ideas.
Speaker 4: Let's do a live stream.
Speaker 3: Were there?
Speaker 4: All right, let's do it down. Here's how it's gonna work.
Speaker 1: Griffin and Mack both knew this year, and let me tell you, like.
Speaker 4: They have really stepped up, both of them.
Speaker 1: You know, Mac is really integral and everything we do, but in particular He's taken a particularly focus on counterpoints, has done a phenomenal job building them up. Griffin has really spearheaded this new set development, which is a whole thing. And I can't tell you how grateful I am to not be parsing through all the details there and to have the confidence that he just has it handled.
Speaker 4: Those two guys absolutely amazing.
Speaker 3: They change the game for us.
Speaker 4: Totally top notch.
Speaker 1: And they really they have brought so much to the table in terms of development and show and it's just getting started exactly.
Speaker 3: And you're the ones who may know any of that possible only a reason that we can even pay for real talent, you know, to come in here. You know, all the guys in the control room. I remember our very first.
Speaker 2: Set, everybody said, hey, the audio sucks. It's like, hey, guess what daily audio? We pay for it now thanks to all of it, we don't even think about it too. It's one of those where it's like a baked in cost. It's not going to change anything whenever it comes to the quality of the show is not It's not something that you and I blink twice at spending money on I was just looking at the original computer that we bought, and we were talking to the guys in the control room before the show about how much you know, we had trouble with all that processing time, and that was the first real purchase that we were able to make that iMac being like we have an M one iMac it can actually process it. Now we've you know, graduated to like some gigantic monstrosity which barely looks like a computer to be capable of handling four K and all these brand new cameras that we're looking at. I mean, so it just like as slow and steady. But also when you think about how much has changed over the last two years, it's remarkable. So that's a I think that's a good place to leave things. Breakingpoints dot com if you're able to help us out, you know, throughout all of this, if you made it this far, this video.
Speaker 1: But just programming reminder next, this is our last These are our.
Speaker 4: Last moments on the set.
Speaker 3: Last time.
Speaker 4: Take a look around the brick, the.
Speaker 3: Calvin Hobbes, the TV, all of this. Yeah, we do.
Speaker 1: It's a little preview on the new set does have little shelves too. They're a little smaller for you know, our little mementos so that some aspect will carry over.
Speaker 4: But yeah, this is it for the set.
Speaker 1: We're going to do the show remotely next week while everything gets built down and what we tested and make sure everything is ready to go. And then, assuming all goes according to plan, week after new set.
Speaker 2: And don't forget, there will be a surprise little event for premium subscribers where they will get the first look at the set and they will get it well well before anything. So if you want to sign up Breakingpoints dot com like I said, otherwise, we will see you all remotely next week.
Speaker 4: Love you guys, see you soon,