Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent.
Speaker 3: Coverage that is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 3: Good morning, and welcome to Counterpoints. S'm Ryan Graham. I'm here with Emily Dushinsky. Emily, how you doing great.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited about the new set. How about you?
Speaker 3: Ryan, It's looking great.
Speaker 4: Please don't please don't blame me for the Lenen book.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Emily insisted on bringing that in. We do have some incredible news for this new set, and that is, you know, former President Trump was arraigned in Miami yesterday on thirty seven counts of being a complete idiot. He is the first former president ever to be charged with this level of idiocy. We're going to be talking about that pretty soon. We're also going to talk about a lot of developments out of Ukraine, including news around the nord Stream pipeline that the Ukrainians were warned not to blow that thing up. Apparently they didn't get that memo. Thing got blown up, seems like it. Yeah, unfortunately, how that happens. We're also going to talk about new news on Wuhan and the lab leak. Fascinating report from Matt Taibi and Michael Schellenberger identifying three lab workers by name who were sickened in November twenty nineteen, which up ends the wet market case that's always been made because the wet market case points to early twenty twenty. So if you have cases coming out of the Wuhan lab, as we knew about already, but now they've identified them by name. So we're going to talk about that later. What else we got.
Speaker 5: We're going to try to get to the bottom of some news that Starbucks has in some ways tried to downplay their support for Pride Month. Ryan, you're going to talk about inflation. I'm going to talk a little bit about the Espionage Act. And we're so excited to have the one and only Glenn Greenwald here to talk about all kinds of stuff. Actually, we're going to be covering some stuff out of the Middle East with Glenn Yeah.
Speaker 3: But first there's a piece of news that I think the mainstream media is not paying enough attention to that developed yesterday on Katie Helper's show that could actually change the course of the upcoming election and change the course of history. Let's roll this interview Katie Helper did with Cornell.
Speaker 5: West and you, of course, when you announced you were with the movement for the People's Party the MPP, do you have an update about this?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 7: Yes, no, that that process is very much in movement and I look forward to it. You know, I'll always have gratitude for the tremendous work of the volunteers of the People's Party and so forth. But there was so much going on internally, and therefore we had to be able to keep the focus where it belongs. And so we're still I am still deeply committed to a broad coalitional sensibility and the United Front, and so I invite variety of different organizations and that includes the People's Party. But I'm certainly moving in the not just forward, but won't look forward to being a part of the nomination process of the Green Party.
Speaker 3: And so Corner West had initially launched his presidential campaign as a candidate of what's called the Movement for a People's Party, which wasn't much of a threat to the Democratic Party because the People's Party doesn't really have ballid access. There may be a couple of states where they have a path to ballot access, and so it would be more like Corner West could do interviews and make speeches, but if people wanted to vote for him, they basically have to write him in. The Greens, though, you know, have much more infrastructure, and so this means that if he can win the Green Party primary, which is likely but not guaranteed because the Greens are wild, then he will actually be on the ballot if he stays in through the general election. And you know how many votes were Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Arizona to well, No, it's an important point.
Speaker 5: Infrastructure is the exact word that I was going to use. When you can plug into something that already exists, even if it's fairly minor compared to the two party system Republicans and Democrats have, that actually makes a difference. That Hillary Clinton will insist that she lost because of Russia, because of Jill Stein and Susan Sarandon in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: But in all seriousness, there's.
Speaker 5: Math that shows, you know, not because so many people were stoked to maybe vote for Jill Stein, but because they really didn't want to vote for Hillary Clinton, they did peel off and they did end up casting bots for Jill Stein.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you stay home.
Speaker 5: All kinds of stuff can happen when you have another candidate in the race, and when you have a really close race, as we've seen in the last couple of cycles, where to your point, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and those electoral votes can be decided by such a slim margin.
Speaker 4: This actually really matters, especially somebody with a name recognition.
Speaker 5: And I can't think of a Green Party candidate in recent memory who has the recognized ability of Cornell West.
Speaker 3: Right. There hasn't been really since Ralph Nader, I would say. And it's really a humiliating blow to the People's Party as well, which had a lot of potential when it first launched. And it's kind of a lesson to organizations not to get bogged down in internescing warfare and so much drama because Cornell West specified with all of the internal things going on at the People's Party, I thought it was a better idea for me to go with the Greens. If the Greens are seen to be kind of a well functioning organization compared to you, then you've got a lot of problems.
Speaker 5: Well, speaking of people with problems, let's transition to the big news out of Florida yesterday where former President Donald Trump was actually in a courtroom. He pleaded not guilty to all of those charges against him and the sensitive documents, the classified document case. Again, he is the first US president, either current or former, to be indicted with a criminal indictment on a federal level. This from the BBC, who had a reporter in the courtroom. Quote, he appeared somber and subdued in court, sitting in a dark suit and red tie with his arms across, which Ryan just mocked up so perfectly for everyone to see. This is the Trump lawyer says, quote, we most certainly enter a plea of not guilty. By the way, we should mention it is Donald Trump's seventy seventh birthday today. In honor of Donald Trump's seventy seventh birthday, I think Ryan, we should roll probably the seventy seventh funniest clip of Trump ever, which is from a speech he gave yesterday after appearing in court, which CNN and MSNBC, by the way, refused to air because they said it would be just like a campaign ad.
Speaker 3: Well, people missed out because absolutely iconic moment, maybe even his epitaph. I like to picture him as entering his plea to the court with this right here, we can roll a five.
Speaker 1: I did everything right, and they indicted me right.
Speaker 5: And he loves these clips. How much I've already seen like ten times this morning.
Speaker 3: Maybe it can be my ring tone.
Speaker 4: Oh, you should have a video ring tone.
Speaker 3: Everything right, And you pointed out early it sounds like he's doing an impression of himself. It's like a Trump impersonator.
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 5: And again there were videos, so that basically here's the timeline of events. Trump shows up in court, pleads not guilty. There's all kinds of you know, sort of the usual media circus outside of the courtroom.
Speaker 4: He then goes he's in the car.
Speaker 5: He starts posting to truth social things like quote one of the saddest days in the history of our country, we are a nation in decline. That seems to have been something he posted while he was in the motorcade leaving the courtroom going to Trump National Durel. He then shows up or maybe this was right after the courtroom, he goes to Versailles, so a Cuban spot in little Havana, starts meeting with Trump supporters. Basically, he prayed with them. They sing Happy Birthday to him. And this is another thing that corporate press cut away from because they said it looked like a campaign ad.
Speaker 4: They didn't want people to see it. There's enough of this.
Speaker 5: I think Jake Tapper in particular pulled away from it and said we've seen enough. And then he gives this speech later that evening, which the CNN and MSNBC also don't cover because again they say the usual sort of it's full of lies, which I'm sure it was Nicole Wallace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nicole Wallace even asked them to take the vo which is like the kind of the b role playing in the background off because it was distracting from the brilliant words of the MSNBC commentators, like, come on.
Speaker 5: That's really rich coming from Nicole Wallace, who like lied from the podium during the Bush administration.
Speaker 4: Professionally, she did do that.
Speaker 5: I want to ask you about this one quote from Trump's lawyer, who said, outside quote, we are at a turning point in our nation's history. The targeting prosecution of a leading political opponent is the type of thing you see in dictatorships like Cuba and Venezuela. What is being done to President Trump should terrify it. All said is of this country. I want to ask you about that in particular because I think that's a preview of a huge part of the messaging strategy throughout the campaign and in the primary as well, that Donald Trump is a target of something transformative in the country. Like if you are concerned, if you have that sort of hazy feeling that something's wrong in the United States, you need look no further than what's happening to Donald Trump. This is the sort of pinnacle of America's transformation from republic to banana republic, and especially in places like Florida. He goes to Versailles right afterwards, in little Havana and starts making this argument. I think that's really interesting. I think there's definitely something I'll talk about this in my monologue. With the fact that he's actually if he wins the primary, which he's the front runner right now, he's likely to face Joe Biden. It's Joe Biden who appointed this special council and Merrick Garland who ultimately has purview over.
Speaker 4: The special Council.
Speaker 5: I think that's an impactful, a consequence argument to take to the campaign. True.
Speaker 3: I think it's certainly the best argument that they have at this point. And I think that both things can be true. I think it is crossing some type of rubicon. And also Trump just walked right into it. I think it was Cernovich's response one of the right wing influencer who said that you know it is they are unfairly targeting Trump, but also Trump walked right into this. Trump fell into a trap, however you want to describe it. You read that indictment, you're just shaking your head all the way through, Like, how can a criminal be this stupid in the commission of his criminality A he had unilateral authority to declassify documents, yet caught a classified document charge. Like that's level of idiocy number one right there. Second, he was willing, at one point talking to his lawyers to destroy the documents to try to get out of the jam he was in, which means he would no longer have the documents, which means he's okay not having the documents, which means just give them back, man, and then you're out of this. Like, then you're out of trouble. Even if you moved boxes around and did shenanigans for months, if you eventually gave the documents back, there's no way the prosecutors could come and say, well, he held on to these documents for longer than we would have liked. Therefore we're going to launch the first prosecution of a former president. Like, no way, I think would they have gotten away with that. Only his actions in this case made it possible for them to do it. Now I'm excited for a bigger case to come like that. I don't I don't get excited about seeing a president get locked up for paperwork and classified document stuff. Rather, I would like to see him prosecuted for a coup attempt or something something bigger, like let's go to the part case. Yeah, let's go to the heart of the system and like actually battle it out there. Otherwise I say leave it to the voters.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, obviously leave it to the voters. Is my position that as.
Speaker 5: Well, now we should say there is no trial date yet set. It is still supposed to be handled by Eileen Cannon. That's on her docket. She's a federal district judge in South Florida, actually was appointed by Donald Trump. So there may be interesting developments in that case. And let's put up a three. This is a thread from Jonathan Turley, who has actually really defended He's a professor at the GW George Washington University Law School. If you watch Fox, you'll see Jonathan Turley fairly frequently. He's sort of a defender of Donald Trump against the excesses of the what would you say, like the intelligence community, the DOJ, the FBI over the last several years. Really cojin, I think helpful arguments in many cases that you don't hear in corporate press, but that are actually like substantive and helpful. He says, though, that there's an ironic element to.
Speaker 4: The pylon in these cases.
Speaker 5: With the cases in New York, two cases in New York, Miami, and then one expected in Georgia, Trump dance card is filling up fast. While federal cases are often given priority, the multiple fronts could reduce the window for the federal trial.
Speaker 4: Why does that matter?
Speaker 5: Well, because we are six months out from actually being in a presidential year. The Republican primary has already started in earnest.
Speaker 4: What do you make of that point?
Speaker 3: Ryan great point he's got so many charges is they don't have time to try him. And the other point that I think people are missing is that, let's say, by some miracle, you get through this trial, you get two of the conviction phase, he's found guilty, which I think I think a jury of all Trump supporters would find him guilty in this case, because there is I feel like there's still a sanctity in the jury process and in the criminal justice system that people feel, even as they might hold contradictory opinions about the nature of the republic, etc. I do think even a Trump in panel jury, Trump supporting panel jury would be like, yeah, you did this, Like you're guilty of at least some of these counts. But let's say that happens. There's then sentencing, so he's released awaiting sentencing, and there's the appeals and Eileen Cannon is going to allow him to go free obviously during the appeals process, and as so as long as that's playing out, I think this just becomes a news event rather than something that puts him like behind bars even with a conviction until the election. Like, I don't see any way that this gets done before the election. I mean, we'll say, you could you know, say this clip and play it if he's getting hauled off in handcuffs before the election.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well yeah, it doesn't seem like any of this is likely to be resolved before the election at all, which again to the other point about the potency of the campaign argument about being the target of the sort of transition to banana republic America, which you know, if you.
Speaker 5: Think that we've become a banana republic, you may think that that started a long time before the Trump indictments. But if you don't think we've become a banana republic, that's another question. I'm going to get into a lot of this and our block later in the show, so don't.
Speaker 4: Want to get too far.
Speaker 3: We do have a little more complaining from Trump. I think, yes, rolled this was it a two. I think this is some more gripes from former President Donald Trump.
Speaker 9: Today we witnessed the most evil and heinous' abusive power in the history of our country.
Speaker 6: Very sad thing to watch a.
Speaker 9: Corrupt sitting president had his top political opponent arrested on fake and fabricated charges of which he and numerous other presidents would be guilty, right in the middle of a presidential election in which he is losing very badly. This is called election interference and yet another attempt to rig and steal a presidential election. More importantly, it's a political persecution, like something straight out of a fascist or communist nation. This day we'll go down in infamy, and Joe Biden will forever be remembered as not only the most corrupt president to the history of our country, but perhaps even more importantly, the president who, together with the band of his closest thugs, misfits and Marxist, tried to destroy American democracy.
Speaker 3: Marxist never sounds like natural coming out of It's always off a teleprompter.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: Trump thinks a lot about Marxism. On that note, let's roll a four. This is Mark Arubio making a connection sort of back to again.
Speaker 4: This clear messaging that's I.
Speaker 5: Think probably potent with a certain swath of the electorate, connecting the dots between all kinds of crazy things that people might see happening in their world and the indictment itself.
Speaker 10: You think this sends here. The next Republican president is going to be under tremendous pressure to bring charges and indict Joe Biden, his family, his crackhead son, whoever. The pressure is going to be extraordinary. They're going to turn us into So we're decadent and we're in decline.
Speaker 3: Because we are.
Speaker 10: We thought we could do anything we wanted with our economy. We could center jobs and factories overseas, break our politics, break our culture, break our society. We don't need parents, we don't neighborhood, we don't need family anymore. All these crazy ideas, and now reality is catching up.
Speaker 3: No doubt, we're in some type of vicious cycle. We'll see where it heads. We'll keep covering that. Moving on to Ukraine, extraordinarily reporting from the Wall Street Journal, if we can put this first up, which finds that, according to the US intelligence sources, the US warned Ukraine please do not attack the nord Stream pipeline. This follows previous reporting that came from the Washington Post that said that a unidentified European intelligence service had told the United States, Hey, look out, the Ukrainians are planning in June to rent a boat. Half a dozen of them are going to go blow up blow up the Nord Stream pipeline in connection with this kind of NATO exercise that's going on. We now know that that was the Netherlands, according to the Wall Street Journal, So Dutch intelligence told the US intelligence. US intelligence then relate it to Germany. Now we know, according to these sources, that the US also reached out to Ukraine and said do not do this. And there's a fascinating line in the Wall Street Journal piece that says the United States asked its Ukrainian counterparts whether it was true that they were planning to blow up the North Stream pipeline, and the Wall Street Journal says it is not known what the response from the Ukrainians was. Did the Ukrainians feel like they had a green light at that point despite whatever warnings were being given by the United States. The reporting is that they told them not to do it, they did it anyway. So are they a rogue client or was there some backchanneling that maybe this is something that the United States is comfortable with.
Speaker 4: I think this is an absolutely huge report for so many.
Speaker 5: Reasons, because particularly what you just flagged, which is This is a quote from the Wall Street Journal report quote, it couldn't be determined how the Ukrainians responded. What do you mean It couldn't be determined how the Ukrainians responded because.
Speaker 4: Clearly this is a leak from the CIA to the Wall.
Speaker 3: Street In other words, the CIA won't tell them.
Speaker 5: Exactly, but the CIA will tell them that they knew in advance of the plan, Which gets to when we were talking about the Washington Post story not too long ago. It really felt like American intel agencies trying to wash their hands of this and say we know who it is. But in the process of saying we know who it was and it wasn't us, they're revealing that they may have been able to stop it. And I think this is connected with more big news. This is also from the Wall Street Journal. We could go ahead and put b two up on the screen. Think about these two stories at the same time. Here's the headline, US set to have proved depleted uranium tank rounds for Ukraine.
Speaker 4: This is from the Journal.
Speaker 5: The Biden administration is expected to provide Ukraine with depleted uranium rounds following weeks of internal debate about how to equip the Abrams tanks the US is giving a Kiev, US officials said Monday.
Speaker 4: The proposal has been debated at the.
Speaker 5: White House, where some officials have expressed concern that sending the rounds might open Washington to criticism that it was providing a weapon that may carry health and environmental risks. Okay, so more stuff headed over to Ukraine. And at the same time, we don't even know what was going on with the CIA and with Ukraine. Clearly we were not involved in their plans when it came to blowing up the Nord Stream pipeline.
Speaker 4: We may have had knowledge and didn't.
Speaker 5: Stop it or per the Wall Street Journal's report, it said the CIA actually determined they couldn't take it. Seriously, they didn't think Ukraine had the capacity. It's an exact quote from here. They didn't think Ukraine had the capacity to carry out such an attack. So we can be that ignorant of actually the country, the military operations of the country that we are sending so much equipment to, and these two headlines can appear basically side by side in a matter of days together.
Speaker 4: It's remarkable.
Speaker 3: But I think providing depleted uranium to a war effort in this part of the world would only matter if there's some type of significant agricultural production going on over there. Are you familiar with whether or not in Ukraine and this area do they grow much wheat or anything over there? Do they supply much to the global population, Because if not, I don't think the globe has much to worry about it. But if they do, then maybe you know, dropping depleted uranium rounds in the bread basket of the world is not the most thought out plan.
Speaker 4: You'd think you'd think.
Speaker 5: And yet this is in the context of the Spring offensive, which became a summer offensive. We're hearing spring offensive for so long turns into a summer offensive, and so the argument from Ukraine, this is also in the general report, is that.
Speaker 4: If you don't supply us with.
Speaker 5: This heavy equipment now, then Russia is able to hold their own during the offensive. Offensive doesn't go as planned and you start losing support in Congress. Support from Congress starts to wane because it's not the momentum has shifted. People are getting exhausted of the war. So you give us what we need now. But of course this has been the argument at every point in the war. We need to go full im pedal to the metal every step of the way, because if we don't, we're going to have to keep going pedal to the medal everyoy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it has its cycle, right, it has its own momentum, in its own logic. If you're going to supply the tanks under pressure, you finally agree, okay, we're doing these tanks. Then if you only supply the kind of generic rounds, then they start to get wiped out by Russian forces. And so then you come back and say, well, if you're supplying the tanks, then you've got to give us the depleted uranium rounds because the tanks aren't as effective if you don't give us those depleted your BRAINIU rounds. You do that, you're like, oh, well, we need air support for these because now we've got these multimillion dollar tanks, yes, that are just getting you know, lit up all over the place. We don't want that. And now we need longer surface to air missiles because you know, now we need to protect our airsport. Now we need more land to land missiles because we need to reach further behind because you know, we got to defend against the artiller. They are taking our tanks and next thing, you know, you know, we've spent another couple hundred billion dollars moving weapons over there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, And let's put B three up on the screen, because this is also important context. You have in Germany right now, the biggest NATO drill, the biggest NATO military exercise I'm reading from DW quote since the military Alliance was formed in nineteen forty nine, and Germany is serving as the host in the logistical hub.
Speaker 4: So this is happening right now from.
Speaker 5: June twelfth to June twenty third, two hundred and fifty aircraft up to two hundred and fifty will be stationed across six military bases, with twenty five countries taking part. The US alone is sending one hundred aircraft across the Atlantic over to this drill. And now here is a quote from a someone at the German Institute for International and Security Affairs, Torben Arnold. He says, quote, of course, this sense a clear signal saying that even though this airspace is extremely busy, they are prepared to say we will defend every centimeter of NATO territory, every centimeter of NATO territory. We've got Sweden about to join NATO probably in a month or so, and all of this like really really really fine line that is being towed, every fine line that's being towed, with the equipment that keeps getting sent over, the intelligence reports that keep coming out, is happening in the context of this really fragile ecosystem, NATO ecosystem, and really fragile balance with two nuclear powers essentially engaged in a proxy war.
Speaker 3: However, there was a massive blow dealt to Russia yesterday with when Emily's favorite author, Elizabeth Gilbert, the author of the viral sensation best selling author Eat Prey Love.
Speaker 4: Before virality was really a thing yux.
Speaker 3: She sold more than twelve million copies of this book, Eat Prey Love, and she's got a new one out that is set in Siberia the nineteen nineties, and amid pushback from Ukrainians that worried that the novel would somehow kind of glamorize or humanize Russia, she has pulled it back, apologized. I don't know if she's going to reset it somewhere else or just hold back until she feels like the temperature has cooled down and you can write a book about Russia obviously raises all sorts of questions. Are we allowed to read Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, etc. But this feels like the kind of thing you're going to get before a fever breaks. Like this feels like fever activity, like total delirium.
Speaker 4: You're saying this isn't rational, insane?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Elizabeth Gilbert can set her next story in Siberian Russia in nineteen nineties and it's not actually going to help the Russian war effort. That's my take.
Speaker 5: Well, actually, when I was reading this story, which is absurd, by the way, I think the message of Eat, Pray Love is largely terrible. The book is very readable. The film is very watchable as well. Julie Roberts does a great jobs. But this is an interesting little thing. From the report, Gilbert announced she was pausing the project due to from Politico, a massive outpouring of reactions from Ukrainian readers who worried the book would romanticize Russia at a time when the country's accused of committing war crimes. Over the weekend, more than five hundred people dished out one star reviews on the Goodreads platform, while others reacted with frustration to the initial book announcement on Twitter.
Speaker 4: So there you have it.
Speaker 5: As soon as it starts hurting the bottom line because people flood Goodreads with one star reviews, she yanks the book and puts out the statement about how it's potentially harmful to Ukraine during this war, and maybe Elizabeth Gilbert has enough money, and it is just really genuinely sensitive to the criticism.
Speaker 4: Either way, when.
Speaker 5: You have a book coming out that's going to be flooded with one star review saying you're a Putin stooge, it makes sense that she's like, hey, I don't think it makes sense. I shouldn't say it makes sense, but you can see the logic behind the publisher and Elizabeth Gilbert putting their heads together and saying we need to rethink this whole thing.
Speaker 3: I feel like, though, for a book like that, no press is bad press, and I think she still would have sold a ton of copies and maybe even sold more copies because of the controversy, because now I didn't know Elizabeth Gilbert had a new novel coming out about Russia or about set in Russia. Now I know now maybe it's on my list when it eventually does come out. But so this I feel like this is more cultural pressure than it is commercial pressure, because I don't think she would have I don't think this would have hurt her commercially. I think she still gets booked on Fresh Air, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a really good point.
Speaker 5: I think it's the cultural pressure that creates the commercial pressure in the sense that Elizabeth Gilbert, there's this it's a very real thing with cancel culture, where people know that like no press is bad press, and something will suddenly get a ton of attention, like look at Joe Rogan thriving.
Speaker 4: No matter how much.
Speaker 5: The corporate press tries to say that he's a bigot and a conspiracy theorist and a crazy.
Speaker 4: Person, doesn't matter. He does just fine.
Speaker 5: But if you run in Manhattan literary circles, then the cancel culture is very real because the people who are responsive to it are going to be the ones that make it uncomfortable for you in those spaces, and maybe on Fresh Air, maybe the politics and pros tour that you wanted to go on. That's where it becomes problematic. And to somebody like Elizabeth Gilbert, who already has enough money, what hurts at this point is sort of taking away this taking some stuff out of the virtue signal deposit bank. That's like the worst thing that can happen to you, not withdrawing from the actual bank.
Speaker 4: Account love on this show.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I actually have a copy.
Speaker 5: Well, we have a big news, a big report to go through. That was news broken just yesterday by Matt Tayubi and Michael Shallenberger over on their substacks at Public and Racket, both great publications. This is a huge development, I think, and we're going to learn more about it. Seems like as lowly as the week goes on. Ryan, I'm super curious to get your reaction to the news they broke.
Speaker 4: Here's the crux of it.
Speaker 5: According to multiple US government officials interviewed as part of a lengthy investigation by Public and Racket, the first people infected by the virus by COVID nineteen patients zero included Ben Who, a researcher who led the Wuhan Institute of Virologies gain a function research on stars like coronaviruses, which increases the infectiousness of the viruses. Sources within the US government say that three of the earliest people to become infected with stars COVID two were Ben who You Ping, and Yan Shu, all members of the Wuhan lab expected to have leaked the pandemic virus. They were working with the closest relatives as SARS COVID two and inserting gain a function.
Speaker 4: Features unique time.
Speaker 5: Who you followed the story really closely, the intercepts and some of the best reporting on the potential for the lab league. What do you make of the scoop here from Shallenberger and Teybi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was nice of them to credit us with some of that reporting in their piece. And I want to shade my comments here for people who don't regularly watch the show, because I think people who normally do probably have a lot of this context and probably already trust both Matt Tayibi and or Michael Schallenberger. There's an enormous number of people who don't. And I've had my debates with Shallenberger, and I'm you know, and I think he's an interesting person to engage with, but I'm not going to take what he says as like gospel. So let's start from that perspective, but go through what he found. So they have government sources that are saying that the three people that were infected in November twenty nineteen were Ben who you ping, and Yan Jew And like you said, Ben Who is it kind of the top protege of a woman who ran the WIV And if it can be confirmed that Ben Who was the first or among the first people infected, that is a game changer.
Speaker 4: Smoking gun.
Speaker 3: Now, there's a lot of reason now, and this is back to the people who might have some skepticisms, There's a lot of reasons to believe that this is true. One is that in May of twenty twenty one, the Wall Street Journal reported that according to US intelligence sources, three Wuhan lab workers were sick and in November twenty nineteen. So we have known at least that the intelligence community believed that to be a fact since May twenty twenty one. If you look at the timeline, and if you look at the source of the Wall Street Journal Murdoch Paper, it seems possible that those are Trump administration officials who had access to that information. And even though they were out of office by January twenty twenty one, May is close enough that they may have been the sources of this information, and so the left then Democrats are going to have some skepticism about that. But we know, but we do know that there were intelligence reports at the time that said three workers. Now were those workers that picked it up at say, the wet market and then came to work and just you know, the you know, COVID was everywhere in Wuhan, not just at the wet market, and so there were still those questions outstanding. If if it turns out now the wet market was January and February, December, January February that there was this outbreak there, so November doesn't make sense. You can't go back in time. However, let's say that was already spreading in November. It depends who those workers are. If it's confirmed that it was these three workers who were working directly on the stars COVID like touch stars, like Chmeric viruses, that that's a huge development and really backs up all of that, all of that previous reporting. The other key point, I think, and I and good on Shellenburger for including this. He wrote that he and TeV wrote that other news outlets have been circling this. Yes, and we often as reporters. You know, it's called hearing footsteps. In the business, we hear footsteps, and sometimes you move your pieces a little bit further because you hear those footsteps. Usually it's reporters don't include that. But I like the transparency of that because now we're going to find out, Okay, is that true? And can these other outlets. The Times of London, by the way, has done some really interesting reporting on this. Can those other outlets land this same scoop? Because there there is going to be soon testimony that the administration is giving the Congress, and there are other and there are other reports that are supposed to be coming and Shellenberger and TV are shining a spotlight on those. So are they going to come out? So I think if you're somebody who's super skeptical of both Tybi and Schellenberger, you can just wait a couple of days, a couple days because they because they have kind of lay it put out on the line like this, believe that this is that this isn't the last you'll hear about this.
Speaker 5: Yes, So they have a source, they say, who was asked how certain they were that these were the identities of the three Wuhan Institute Virology scientists who developed symptoms consisted with COVID nineteen in the fall of twenty nineteen. When they asked, we were told, quote one hundred percent. Another thing to note from the report from Matt Mike and then Alex S. Guten Tag with third reporter on the byline is next week the DNI is expected to release previously classified material, which may include the names of the three scientists who are the likely among the first to be sickened by Sary's code two. So keep that in mind that they expect, based on their reporting, the Director of National Intelligence next week to release a report that actually names the three scientists involved. They also have a source saying there are one hundred percent certain those are the three scientists, and the Times of London quotes an anonymous US State Department investigator.
Speaker 4: This was on Saturday.
Speaker 5: Quote it has been increasingly clear that the Wuhan Institute of Rology was involved in the c creation, promulgation and cover up of the COVID nineteen pandemic. One thing I like about their report is they're onto a similar line that we've talked about a little bit, which is, why do you have Anthony Fauci continuing to sort of try with Francis Kahns to steer the media's and the public's attention away from the Eco Health Alliance. Grant, why do you have them trying to just credit the lab leak theory when, for instance, the United States government really does see China as a hostile foreign adversary, especially the Trump administration.
Speaker 4: There's no like that. It wasn't as though he.
Speaker 5: Was like really soft and easy on China and never really missed a rhetorical opportunity to bluster for the most part.
Speaker 4: So why would they step away from that?
Speaker 5: Well, because if we can establish these connections to the Wuhan Institute of Orology.
Speaker 4: Which look very very clear.
Speaker 5: At this point, they quote an expert saying the ben Hu thing is a real smoking gun.
Speaker 4: I completely agree with that.
Speaker 5: And if you establish that connection, then man, it's bad for the United States government because it looks like we may have had a role.
Speaker 4: We may have had a.
Speaker 5: Role in funding it, in funding research that was being done sloppily without proper oversight. They show a video actually from the whun Institute of Arology, and I think ben who actually in the public and racket report from Chinese state media before the pandemic, where nobody is wearing proper protective gear.
Speaker 3: You can watch the video at that public post, and they're just messing around with vials, like without even gog, like without even like the poor protection like goggles and like a thin mask, like not even that.
Speaker 5: And so if you can imagine being, for instance, Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State, Donald Trump, President Trump administration in general, sort of being opposed to the permanent bureaucratic state at places like the NIH and the people like Anthony Fauci over the course of your presidency and getting intelligence reports like we know at this point, you know, the CIA, Mike Pompeo State Department, they seem to have known since the very beginning. In Pompeo would say this, it has always been clear through the intelligence that the lab leak was plausible, if not likely. And imagine you're getting those briefings you're Trump and you're Pompeo or whomever else, and you're the one that's overseeing Fauci, and you realize that he may be invested in some sort of cover up just to cover his own butt because there was our money, taxpayer money, was being sent over there without any oversight at all basically and could have been involved in a leak from the lab because there was no oversight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and ideologically too was Fauci's a huge champion of gain A function research and pushed back against the pause. Last point, the public racket article includes comments from Alina Chan, who we've had on this, who we've had on our show, is one of the first and most prominent kind of skeptics of the natural origin theory, wrote a book on it, and so I think for people who are curious about this, I think her kind of validation of this, of this story, I think is important. Absolutely, we got some Reddit news.
Speaker 4: We do have some Reddit news.
Speaker 3: So over a reddit you may have noticed, if you're headed over there, that a bunch of the subreddits have gone dark. So let's first of all the basics as I understand it. You tell me what you understand about this Reddit for many years did not have an app. They didn't have a phone app, and so people developed apps for it because it's which is a very reddit type of thing to do. It's a community driven bottom up. They call it the front page of the Internet, but it's it's to me other than Wikipedia, it's the most successful kind of broadly moderated community, kind of radical anarchist expression of a utopian vision of the Internet. And so you had a bunch of different companies that then that made apps that people have been used, and they relied on access to reddits API to build that app. Now Reddit is charging. They say they're going to start charging these companies for this API in ways that the companies say, we'll put them out of business, but in ways that Reddit says are just necessary to cover their own costs of hosting and that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: And so subreddits, about thirty five hundred subredits in total, are going dark. They're protesting this by making their communities private because of the charges. So those third party app developers that Reddit has said are just absolutely necessary. The mods over on those subreddits have said they're making the communities.
Speaker 4: Private for forty eight hours, so.
Speaker 5: That means about thirty five hundred those subreddits are going to be inaccessible. And those are five of the ten most popular communities on the site period. So that's our gaming, our music are today, I learned, and our picks each have memberships of more than thirty million people. Thirty million people. I'm not a big redditor at all. I rarely use Reddit. But last night I was making tacos and I was looking at soccer Tuesday.
Speaker 4: It was Taco Tustay. Yeah, I was making tacos for Taco Tuesday and I was.
Speaker 5: Looking for recipes and I only this is actually what happened. I only had mozzarella cheese, and I turned, as one does, to Reddit for exit some ideas about how to make mozzarella cheese work really well in tacos, and please don't flame me in the comments. I'm so sorry, but it's all I had. And I went over to Reddit and two reddits that I clicked on that were offered helpful information were dark, And you know what, it was awesome because I just had this sense of like, this is the cool thing about Reddit. It's a cool thing like you said about Wikipedia, that there's still this grassroots element to it, and you really can stick it to the man. If you're a Reddit mod and you're just like you're a mod on a subreddit, a really popular subreddit, that's absolutely fantastic. That's a very cool expression of power and the the it seems by the way they'd party party apps, Apollo Reddit is fun Sink and red Planet. Their reddit is saying that it's absolutely necessary.
Speaker 4: They say it's multimillion.
Speaker 5: They spend multimillions of dollars on hosting fees, and they need to be fairly paid if they're going to keep supporting these apps. Quote, our pricing is based on usage levels that we measure to be comparable to our own costs.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they have.
Speaker 5: There's some like mathematical legitimacy to that, but I think what's so cool about seeing the subreddits and the mods go dark is that they're showing Reddit actually with the real market value of those apps is because their consumers demand them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love that you got you got stopped from crossing the Reddit picket line, and your great in your effort to find mozzrell cheese tips. It's funny what you end up doing.
Speaker 5: I just use the Mozrel cheese with no fancy tips at all.
Speaker 4: I just on a cast.
Speaker 3: It was fine.
Speaker 4: It was totally fine.
Speaker 3: But how bad can it be?
Speaker 5: No, it was fine, But again, like I didn't even realize this was happening, because this was before I started the show. Prep really in earnest, and so wasn't I wasn't trying to cross the pigling, but that said, I do like it.
Speaker 4: Just when that happened, I.
Speaker 5: Was like, this is actually really cool, because this does matter to Reddit if people are getting bocked out by the mods that their platform empowers. Like, what is central to Reddit's business model right now is that they have people who volunteer as mods and keep these platforms in good shape by Reddit standards. They're relying on free voluntary labor, and that free voluntary labor saying no.
Speaker 3: Interesting thing to think about is did you follow the report recently a couple of weeks or maybe months ago at this point, about Alexis o'hannian stepping down from the board of Reddit, And so for people who didn't follow this, Alexis is a co founder of Reddit, kind of founder also Trivia, married to Serena william that's his real claim to fame, and he when he announced he was stepping down from his role in the company, he said he wanted to be able to look his children in the eye and said he did everything to advance the cause of equity, and so he didn't want to be the white guy who was, you know, sitting in the seat that ought to be held by a black woman or black man, and so he said, I'm going to leave the board as long as my replacement is. I think it was a black woman, maybe a black person of either gender or I can't quite remember. But it raises a question of did he see this train wreck coming? Like did he? And and kind of did that contribute to his interest in being like, you know what, this is going to be a mess. Let me let me step aside here. Whether or not he did or didn't there, it does point to this phenomenon that and there's a name for it. People in the comments might know for it, but it was coined around the time that black men mostly I think it's all black men started winning the oral elections in the nineteen sixties and nineteen seventies, just as de industrialization was kind of ripping the guts out of the cities. And another example of the phenomenon is that just as medical doctor salaries kind of plateau and then start to decline slightly, that's when medical schools start letting in lots of women. So it's as soon as things start to take a turn and become more difficult, that's when white men are like all right, you know what, let's let everybody in here. So it may be a total coincidence, but it seems like another example of that phenomenon at work that is.
Speaker 5: Really interesting, and read it as an example of sort of disruption post twenty sixteen, I would say disruption the tech community in general when you had platforms like Reddit, like Facebook, like Twitter. Twitter is another really good example of this being run very differently because there was a different set of pressures, or actually there was a lack of pressures relative to what there is now on those platforms has caused I think, whether these things are directly connected to that or not. The heightened business pressures because you have way more government oversight post twenty sixteen for various reasons, some of which.
Speaker 4: Are good and some of which are bad.
Speaker 5: I think that's really caused a lot of tension and strain inside.
Speaker 3: And I saw a post on Twitter that tried to explain this phenomenon as this is like nine to eleven for the worst person that you know, which okay points for being funny, but I don't think that's quite fair to Reddit. And I really am rooting for Reddit and redditors to kind of resolve this and keep the site thriving. Yeah, no, as even if that was a pretty funny quip.
Speaker 5: Absolutely two things can be true at the same time, speaking of things that we're trying to figure out whether or not they're true, Starbucks is reportedly we can put this first element up on the screen from the New Republic. The New Republic reported that Starbucks denied its union's allegations of a ban on pride, a ban on pride decorations. Essentially, this is something we also saw allegedly happen over at Target.
Speaker 4: But originally the story was that it was way more heavily.
Speaker 5: The New Republic was reporting way more heavily on the side of the union's allegations being credible.
Speaker 4: Right the Starbucks union.
Speaker 5: Their original headline, I think was actually that Starbucks banned pride decorations according to union.
Speaker 3: If you can go back to the URL actually because URLs are forever, yes, and the RL is Starbucks take down Pride decorations, discussing cave far right.
Speaker 4: There you go, and then it's like mad loves right right.
Speaker 3: And so then the story was updated when Starbucks came out and said, look, this is not our policy. We're not stopping pride decorations from being put up. However, that produced a response from the union, which was the original source of this claim, saying that even if there isn't a corporate directive that has been launched, it is the functional policy that they're seeing on the ground. We could let's just roll one. This is one typical kind of post that that's come from Starbucks union members.
Speaker 11: We're looking at here, Well, those are our marplights. We have had them up every year for I don't know as long as I've worked here. This is the first year that no one hung them up and they're.
Speaker 12: Just sitting in So why are those in this bucket right here instead of hanging up during Pride Month in a Starbucks.
Speaker 11: Well, Starbucks says that it's unsafe. We don't have a ladder to be able to hang them up properly, so we're just not going to hang them up this year.
Speaker 12: And so Starbucks has had these hanging up in the lobby before this year, correct, every year for.
Speaker 11: As long as I've worked here, which is five or six years.
Speaker 4: That's really crazy.
Speaker 5: Can I just say quickly without having a lot of context, because that's a local sort of set of allegations that neither of us has talked.
Speaker 4: To the people involved. What's kind of amusing. I don't know if amusing is the right word. I don't want to trivial anything.
Speaker 5: But if this is the first year that that local Starbucks has unionized and they're saying it's unsafe to put up the pride decorations, there's actually a possibility that the store is scared of the union in some sense, if they're putting workers in like unsafe working conditions and they don't have the right kind of ladder. I'm not saying that's what happened, but I'm saying that that also could be a layer to this.
Speaker 4: It may it may or may not be, but quickly, that was my first thought when I saw it.
Speaker 5: Because a lot of these Starbucks unions are within like a year of existence.
Speaker 3: Yes, many, there are many layers to this, no doubt. So let's read Starbucks spokesperson Andrew Trall's comment to the New Republic. He said, we unwaveringly support the LGBTQIA two plus community. There has been no change to any policy on this matter, and we continue to encourage our store leaders to celebrate with their communities, including for US Pride month in June. We're deeply concerned by false information that is being spread, especially as it relates to our inclusive store's, our company culture, and the benefits we offer our partners. The benefits we offer our partners. That is a reference to a previous claim that the Starbucks Union had made that said that Starbucks had changed its gender affirming health insurance policy. To push back against the union, Starbucks says, that's just simply not true. That perhaps somebody had a bad insurance experience, but that's not There has been no change in that policy. Starbucks Union, you can find there, you can find their account on Twitter. They they're putting out a bunch of different cases of workers saying that they've tried to put up Pride decorations and been told not to either because it breaks the uniformity of stores that there's been a regional director. There's a lot of claims and counterclaims flying back and forth. My sense is that this might also be related to the climate that has the kind of backlash climate yeah, that was produced through the bud Light boycott and the Target boycott. You might just have individual managers of stores who are kind of pushing back in a way that isn't reflective of a corporate directive, but that maybe corporate is okay with What's what's your sense of how this is unfolding?
Speaker 5: You know, it wasn't until we were talking before the show and you advanced that explanation that I could make sense of why this is so confused regionally that you know, there are probably different places, like they are different targets, and we heard some regional discrepancies and how Target was enforcing the way that it had perhaps moved its pride displays after the tucking swimsuit controversy erupted and the boycott started, that you know, in the South, for instance, or in the Midwest, that Target had moved some of its pride displays in ways that it may not have in California and New York or something to that extent, although you heard that the Burlington Target may These are all like these are all just like anecdotes, but it shows that it's possible, sort of on a regional level, people who get complaints even in Burlington. You know, you can have a conservative family or two that complaints in Burlington and to the point where the manager says, you know, the cost benefit analysis here it's worth it to just pop this in the back for us. And so people are just sort of making those decisions without any overarching corporate directive.
Speaker 4: That's entirely possible.
Speaker 5: That makes the most sense to me that you know, they're on a regional level. These pressures and sensitivities are different, and what you're having is people respond to them that way as opposed to overall. Hunter Schwartz had an interesting had an interesting little report where he actually took the top ten mostly of the Fortune fifty and engauged who actually changed their logo to Pride and from last year to this year, and found that it actually was basically the same, like there was no difference. Wall Street Journal showed they had a headline that said companies quiet diversity and ability to talk amid the culture War and actually have a chart of earnings calls where executives mentioned quote ESG DEI, environmental, social and governments, diversity, equity, inclusion or sustainability verbatim in their earnings calls over the recent quarters.
Speaker 4: And you do see a dip.
Speaker 5: It's still higher than what it was in twenty eighteen, so still higher post twenty twenty. But I think there is something going on post bud Light, post target where companies are extra sensitive and just realize that in the same way they were sensitive in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Because these companies, these guys don't believe anything.
Speaker 5: They're not red or blue, they're green, and so they ultimately side on the with money. So in twenty twenty where you see all of a sudden, all of these corporations become, you know, start giving money to open like Marxist organizations like Black Lives Matter Global Foundation, which none of them supported Marxism. Are you telling me that's insane that these like massive corporatists were just like happy to bank roll Marxism. No, they saw it as an advertisement. They saw it as a way to like rehab their public relations or to prehab their public relations. And in the same way they were sensitive to the political climate, then they're sensitive to the political climate.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah. One thing that is really interesting too about this case is what it shows about some elements of today's union movement. So what we can clearly say for sure is that this is not directly about wages and benefits. So the very traditional kind of bread and butter, nuts and bolts union movement was collective bargaining to increase, you know, increase your wages, increase your benefits, also workplace safety, and so I think a lot of this is being kind of understood as part of safety and the idea of we're feeling safe and comfortable at work. So I think that's how workers are understanding this as related to working conditions rather than just as fighting a culture war within their own corporation. Though it is also that which is which is just an It's an interesting kind of statement in reflection on where kind of the labor movement is, particularly among young people today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Katie Hertzog had a good point on Twitter yesterday where she was responding to a poll that found increasing opposition to trans participation in women's sports, and just made the point that like the t of the LGBT is, you know, the support for the full sort of tea agenda has dipped in a way that's reflecting on the LGB part of that you know, broader movement. And I think that's absolutely like to the point where people walk into a Scarbucks in twenty twenty three and see the Pride flag with the because because now most corporations use the full Pride flag, not just the rainbow colors, but also with the pink and blue and white, if not even like more detailed flags than that.
Speaker 4: People walk and see that.
Speaker 5: That does feel divisive to them, because that feels like you're saying, you know, I necessarily by shopping at the Starbucks, I'm not just looking at the flag that you know, I saw people posing with when Obergefell was handed down, But I'm seeing something that implies, you know, about books and classrooms and kids' sports and bathrooms and locker rooms, et cetera. And when you graft that package onto the other one, I think that's where you start to see the consensus breakdown and people feel like when they walk into that it is much more controversial in many parts of the country. And that's I think exactly what you see happening with bud Light and with Target, where most of the country has very little opposition to gay marriage, to same sex relationships period. It's the tea that makes them feel a little less comfortable with the full thing, and that has actually increased and that's interesting and I think that's probably what companies are experiencing.
Speaker 4: And one final point.
Speaker 5: Is Starbucks was really accused as a jack of ben article I referenced a lot where they quote I think this was in Missouri. They quote a Starbucks worker who was trying to unionize as saying they felt like they were being forced to work as unpaid social workers or untrained social workers. And the safety question is so interesting because that's where these things clash. And if you're considering gender affirming care, gender affirming sort of ideological policies at Starbucks as part of safety, that also comes into to clash with like, for instance, the bathroom policy that really did for Starbucks workers to act as untrained social workers and put them in situations.
Speaker 4: I mean, I saw it with my own eyes.
Speaker 5: I watched I got locked into a Starbucks, but I was fine as the workers who were having to confront somebody who the police had to lock into the Starbucks in order to you know, calm right.
Speaker 3: And the whole time you think, the whole time, you're thinking, I don't get paid enough for this, not trained for this, and I don't get paid enough for this. People can help us out, though, because this shouldn't be a he said. She said, Like, the question is like, is Starbucks, you know, still allowing for pride decorations and stores so if you are going to Starbucks or you work at Starbucks, just let us know in the comments, like what city or town you're talking about, and whether or not you're seeing any you know you're seeing any decorations.
Speaker 5: That's right, rian you are going to be breaking down for us right here. Some of the new numbers on inflation. A little bit of good news as how a lot of people are interpreting it, a lot of conversation about.
Speaker 4: Where the rate hikes go from here.
Speaker 5: But I always find it really helpful when you take these numbers and make them intelligible.
Speaker 3: So what have you got today, Yeah, let's have take a look at these inflation numbers. You can put up this first tear sheet. So the headline news coming out of this was basically inflation cooling to its lowest reading in two years, down to four percent year over year. And so I think I think it's fun to just take a look at where prices are flattening and where prices are still going up, and then think about what that tells us about our priors when it comes to both monetary policy, interest rate policy, and fiscal policy. Relating back to the checks that were cut a child tax credit, the American Rescue Plan, the IRA, all of these things that we were warned was going to cause runaway inflation. Larry Summers said that you're going to need ten percent unemployment for several years in order to kind of tame the inflation that came from the American Rescue Plan, which he described as a cataclysmic kind of policy disaster. He could not have been proven more wrong more quickly than he was. Doesn't mean he won't be invited on air to continue opining on the way that people need to be driven into misery in order to bring down inflation. So if you go to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, you can find, uh, you know, very detailed breakdowns around you know, where prices are going up and where and whether or not, which reminds me of this funny Emily. Did you see the the back and forth uh with wh Who's who's the Elon Musk flunky David Sachs, David Saxson, Matt Iglesias. Sack looked at an employment report and said that, wait, three hundred ninety nine thousand jobs added. How's this possible? Everywhere I look people are getting laid off and Aglaia is like it's in column too if you want to check out where where jobs are going up, which is which people immediately pointed out was just like that kind of a pc perhaps apocryphal quote about Nixon from a Manhattan socialite who was like, how could how could Nixon have won? I don't know anybody who voted for him. It's like, yeah, it is true that tech is losing some jobs, but there are there are people that are hiring elsewhere. And so so if I put it out the uh uh, this this table on jobs that are the prices that are moving up and down. If you take out food and energy, you still you still have a pretty pretty cool inflation number. I think five roughly around five point so that's five point three percent year over year, which is you want it to be lower than that. But that's not it's not ruining. It's not ruining the country, and I think it's and we should be careful about getting too excited about the energy prices coming down because Mohammed bin Salman, in order to finance all of his different acquisitions, has said he's going to jack up gas prices and also probably to hurt Biden. So twenty twenty four we're probably going to see higher gas prices and that's gonna that's going to impact these numbers that you're seeing. But the biggest crisis is still here and that's in what they call shelter and so that's both rent and mortgages. That's eight percent year over year. So if you're if you're seeing if you're seeing prices at the at the grocery store, used car price is down four percent. Uh, you're glad to see that that those things are becoming more affordable. Egg prices coming down, But if you're still seeing eight percent year over year increases in housing prices, that's that's a crisis. And then the other the other big jump that you see is in what they call transportation services. That's ten point two percent year over year, and that's everything from you know, Uber other ride shares, which you can see everybody understands like those are getting more expensive, to train fares, bus fares, but also airline fares like you've seen you know, the cost of air of airplane tickets just soaring over so that that's that's taking a huge chunk out of you. But and then a food away from home eight point three percent. So in other words like going out to eat is costing you a lot, but food at home down under six percent. So those are the things that are that people are still, you know, really feeling according to the data. So what's your read on as you just go around the world where inflation is compared to where it was a year ago.
Speaker 4: You know, that's why I really don't like.
Speaker 3: What are you looking at? What's your point today?
Speaker 5: Well, by now you've heard a lot about the Espionage Act recently in light of Donald Trump's indictment by Special Consul Jack Smith. Many of you have known a great deal about this World War One era legislation for years, following the cases of Eugene Devs, the Rosenbergs, and all the way up to Julian Assange.
Speaker 13: Donald Trump is not a whistleblower or a journalist or a foreign agent. He didn't leak a military report to the press for the betterment of the nation, nor did he hand out anti warflyers. He is the former president of the United States accused of stowing away boxes and boxes of some of the most sensitive US national security secrets.
Speaker 5: So there's ali velshie Over on MSNBC making the Trump comparison within all that historical contact that we've been hearing so much about recently. He says Trump is different. Therefore the implication as well, maybe it's okay. Well, let's remember the Espionage Act is basically a blunt force instrument of the security state to punish enemies of their agenda, basically at the drop of a hat. That's what the historical context really shows. As you may know, thirty one of Trump's thirty seven new charges were brought under the Espionage Act by Jacksmith. As Eli Lake wrote in The Free Press this week, quote this is his headline. Trump probably broke the law, but that law shouldn't exist. Probably is an important word there. We actually haven't heard much from Trump's defense team in the last few days. It would hardly be shocking to learn the indictment was built by excluding maybe some key context, given our DOJ's history of making similar decisions when it comes to Trump related PISA warrants PISA warrants, for instance.
Speaker 4: But who knows, not me, certainly not anyone else in the media. And that's okay.
Speaker 5: In terms of whether Trump's conduct was dumb, dangerous and a violation of this specific law, the current evidence suggests the answer to every single. One of those questions is yes, but two things can be true at once. Trump's conduct was dumb and silly, and so is the Biden administrations. Why well, Elia Lake makes a lot of good points, some of them are critical. Here comes the what about segment? What about Joe Biden? What about Hillary Clinton? Isn't it facile and partisan? What about isms? To not just admit Trump is corrupt rather than pointing elsewhere? Well, First, nobody needs to admit Trump is corrupt.
Speaker 4: He basically campaigned on being corrupt.
Speaker 5: And Second, as Andy McCarthy pointed out on Fox this week, the law is basically what about ism. You're always weighing precedent, meaning what about this person? What about that person? This is exactly the argument James Comy made when he announced the FBI would not pursue charges against Hillary Clinton in twenty sixteen. This is an exact quote from his statement the day he announced he wasn't going to bring charges.
Speaker 14: Quote.
Speaker 5: Although there is evidence dents a potential violation of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information, our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case. Prosecutors necessarily weigh a number of factors Before bringing charges. There are obvious considerations like the strength of the evidence, especially regarding intent. Responsible decisions also consider the context of a person's actions and how similar situations have been handled in the past. Intent, by the way, is pretty key in the Trump indictment. This exact statement could be extended the Komi statement to Joe Biden's trove of around twenty to thirty classified documents that were located last year, some of which contained very sensitive information about Iran Ukraine. And more clearly, you could make the case he was in violation of the Espionage Act or there's pretty strong evidence he was in violation of the Espionage Act.
Speaker 4: And yes, Trump is charged with.
Speaker 5: Having many more documents, and he's also charged with obstruction. That absolutely makes his case more serious. Although Clinton could possible belie've been hit with obstruction charges too. But if you're going to charge one president with Espionage Acts Act violations, that another could be charged with and likely won't given what happened with Clinton, for instance, you don't have the moral high ground when it comes to quote the rule of law, which James Comey has been talking about all over the media recently.
Speaker 4: Worse yet, this is exactly the point about the Espionage Act.
Speaker 5: It is a blunt, forced instrument the security state clings to. The Obama administration used it to seize James Rosen's emails and target many others many times over. This is why the journalists reflexively siding with Smith here because they hate Trump, are playing an incredibly dangerous game. The Espionage Act exists to punish them. It's so intentionally broad it can be used to do whatever the Feds want with it when they want to. Obama suffered little repercussions for his abuses of the Espionage Act, but journalists and whistleblowers did. The more the media cheers Smith and Garland and Biden on, the more power this law will continue to have over them.
Speaker 3: We are joined now by Glenn Greenwald, my former colleague over at the Intercept and the host of System Update that's the name of the show at Rumble. We're going to talk about his interview in a Moment that he did with RFK Junior, particularly a fascinating and revealing exchange with RFK Junior over his policy on Israel and how it compares to his policy as relates to Ukraine. But first I wanted to get you on the big news from yesterday, Trump turning himself in for idiotically holding on to all of these documents, one of the governments trying to get them back. Emily and I were just going through what I think is my dream scenario, and I wanted to get your take on this, and it would be that the thing is punted past the election. Trump is convicted of on these Espionage Act claims. It then goes to the Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court rules the Espionage Act unconstitutional and ditches the entire law so that they can free Trump. I'm curious for your take on these Espionage Act charges and also would that be a dream scenario.
Speaker 1: I mean, anything that does the Espionage Act to me, would be a huge gift to the United States. The idea that this law is one of the most repressive on the books, one of the most unconstitutional, flagrantly repressive laws, has been something that has been kind of gospel and left loberal politics for decades. It goes back to nineteen seventeen would where Wilson enacted it with the explicit purpose of criminalizing people who dissented from his desire to involve the US in the European War in World War One, and many socialists like Eugene Debs and others were prosecuted on the grounds that essentially opposing the US war policy meant they were aiding and abedding other countries and acting as agents of those countries.
Speaker 14: And then that was the law that was unearthed.
Speaker 1: During the Obama years to start attacking whistleblowers at a record pace. And the reason is because it's a law that basically ensures the government can win. That was the law that Daniel Alsburg was tried under. He intended to go on the stand and argue to a jury of his peers that yes, he leaked the Pentagon papers, but it was justified for him to do so because the government had no right to conceal it in the first place. And the judge immediately shut it down and said, under the Espionage Act, it doesn't matter what your motive is. It's a strict liability statute. And that's what makes it such a horrifically powerful weapon in the hands of the government. And there is an irony that the Trump administration prosecuted Julian assanj under this and others. Trump cheered Snowden's prosecution under it, and else Trump himself faceds prosecution under this law. But a principle civil libertarian, somebody who has worked, for example, what the ACLU would have no choice but to say, in all instances where this law is applied, it's an unjust outcome.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that's very well, said Trump's One of Trump's attorneys previewed, I think a pretty potent line of argumentation they're going to be making in defense of this indictment or in defense against this indictment.
Speaker 4: Yesterday, I said the.
Speaker 5: Courthouse, she said, basically, this is starting to make the US look like Cuba in Venezuela, and this is our transformation towards Banana republic. As you point out, Glenn, this is a nineteen seventeen era law that was sort of immediately used to prosecute people on political grounds after being enacted. How do you think that argument is going to work for the Trump team? Do you see it where you have Joe Biden actually prosecuting the front runner in the Republican nomination, not necessarily like a Eugene Dubs figure, but like the Republican front runner here? Do you see that along the lines of the argument the defense attorney is making there, how do you think this goes for them?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a huge imony here in terms of my own trajectory and my own career and belief system, which is, I watch President Obama immunize the entire Cia and all Bush officials for any prosecution for War on Terror crimes, including torture. And there was a consensus in the Washington media and political class when he did that that he did the right thing, just like Nixon did the right thing when Forward did the right thing when pardoning Nixon on the grounds that, oh, only banana republics prosecute former presidents by subsequent administrations. And my argument at the time was no, Actually, what happens in the Banana Republic is there's a two tiered system of justice, one for elites and one for everybody else, and not prosecuting war on terror criminals is what would make us this kind of Banana republic. And now here we are finally a person with power seemingly being prosecuted. But for me, the problem it becomes it's still selective. It's selective in a different way. Clearly, Trump is an enemy of the political establishment in the way that say, others who did similar or worse things, like David Betraeus and Leon Panetta and arguably Hillary Clinton didn't was not and they did not spend a single second in jail. They weren't charged with Espionage Act violations. And so I do think there's a highly political you put a molment to it, And just imagine if we watched what's happening in the United States, happening in one of the designated bad countries, where a current resident imprisons or his administration is trying to imprison his leading opponent heading into an election, we're all poshal that opponent is leading. We would immediately say that's proof of bespotism, Like when Vladimir Putin presided over Nabalne's corruption charges. That was what was said, and it's hard to distinguish. I think what's going on here.
Speaker 5: I think that's especially true in lend of the fact that Clinton actually could have also had the obstruction charges, not just the ESPIONAC violination violations, but potentially obstruction charges too.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I mean, she lied to the government.
Speaker 1: She said there was no classified information having ever gone over her service. She repeated that multiple times to investigators when it turned out to be false.
Speaker 3: I'm curious, if you put Trump on the couch, how he wound up in this situation, Like for somebody who has talked so frequently about the deep state coming after him like this is this is basically his number one argument that he's been making for you know, because you are judged by who your enemies are, and like, look at who my enemies are. They you know they want to destroy me. Therefore I must be doing something right? What what about that did not get internalized for him? Because if they if you believe that they're coming to get you, just give the boxes back like that. That's the part that has me head scratching about like the way that this unfolded. How how do you how do you think about why Trump now? Because for Hillary Clinton, I think Hillary Clinton knew she was not going to be put in prison, So you can explain why she would be shady about uh and and be willing to lie to these prosecutors because like they're not coming to get her, like they want the documents back, they don't like that she's using this this server, but she's pretty confident that they're not actually going to put her in prison, and that confidence was born out by Coombe's decision, not the prosecutor. Trump, though, shouldn't have that same confidence, like he really they really are coming after him. So it it almost feels like, for the kind of movement that he's leading, why wasn't he more careful?
Speaker 14: It's a good question. I think.
Speaker 1: The best analogy, and I know this seems odd because it's impossible to extract all this from its ideological baggage, is what happened in Brazil with Lula de Silva, where I obviously played a big role in those events, so I have pretty up close insight.
Speaker 14: Lula never believed.
Speaker 1: That he would be in prison because he was a two term president, beloved on the international stage. He left office with an eighty six percent approval rating, and at exactly this point, the analogous point in the election cycle for Brazil, one year before the twenty eighteen presidential election in twenty seventeen, when he was leading all polls, they came and they charged him with multiple corruption crimes, arrested him and sentenced him to eleven years in prison.
Speaker 14: And when that happened, he began.
Speaker 1: To view all of the people responsible for that was such disdain that he no longer recognized their legitimacy. The lead prosecutor in Lula's case ran for Congress and won, got the biggest vote total in his state, and they just removed him from Congress on some concocted corruption ground. And now they're looking to do the same with the judge who presided over the case is now a senator. So this vengeance factor when you spend time in jail is very high. This is, you know, you're talking about an establishment that twice impeached Donald Trump, that has now indicted him twice, that makes no secret about their desire to put him into prison. And so yes, you can, on the one hand, say well he should therefore be even more careful and not hand them weapons to use against him. On the other hand, I think when you feel genuinely persecuted by unjust authority, which is definitely how he and a lot of his supporters feel, and I think with good reason. Remember Chuck Schumer warned him this would happen if he challenge the CIA, they'll get They have six different ways to get back at you, and that's what has been happening throughout his presidency with reshigate and now these impeachments and now these indictments. I think there's this kind of sense that I'm just not going to play ball with these people. I'm not going to recognize the legitimacy of their demands for these documents back because they're out to get me no matter what I do, and war is the only the only way to go about this.
Speaker 5: It's important to take Chuck Schumer both literally and serious.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yeah, it was the most amazing moment of candor I've ever seen from the top level Washington official.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, pivoting to your interview with RFK Junior recently, Actually, we'll we'll just play this clip and just to set it up you you asked him basically, why is it that you're skeptical about funding for the war in Ukraine because of the needs of people here at home, but not the same for Israel' Let's let's roll that clip here.
Speaker 1: Why are we in the United States transferring billions of dollars of aid each year to a country Israel, whose citizens, in a lot of ways enjoy better standards of living than a lot of the ways American citizens live. What is your argument for why we should send so much money to Israel, but not to Ukraine.
Speaker 6: You know, the historically that argument has been that Israel is the model democracy in the Mid East. It's the only democracy in the Mid East, and as a democracy, it's it's a model for peacekeeping for and there's never been a time in history when a democracy has has gone to war with another democracy. So I think art policy in the United States should be to support the the growth of democracies around the world. You know, if I've.
Speaker 1: Ever that was the that was the argument for going into invading Iraq. We're going to spread democracy in the Middle East. That's the argument for supporting the Ukrainians, which is the Ukrainians are democracy in Russia's autocracy.
Speaker 6: There's a and Glenn, I agree with you, and I think there's there. I do think there's a difference between what we did in Iraq, which is imposing a US system which I don't think was really democracy at the point of a gun, and you know, going in in a preemptive war, which we've never done in our history on a pretext in which we lied to the American public about weapons of mass destruction.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 6: You know, and our policy of assisting and existing democracy in the Midiest that has had a long relationship with our country, and long and supportive relationship with our country. But you know, I think you raise some important points. I think it probably at this point in the history, Israel is you know, is much better able to take care of itself than it was in the past, and we need to look at all those things.
Speaker 3: That was a long clip, but I wanted to play all the way to the end of it because it's a remarkable moment in an interview where you kind of see him think through the position, and by the end of it, he's like, actually, you know what, Glenn, maybe Israel is ready to stand up on its own two feet and we should reduce the amount of spending with their which is an incredible turnaround from just days earlier, where he had denounced his friend Roger Waters over Israel related tweets, concerts, etc. Were you surprised at the way at the kind of arc of his answer there.
Speaker 14: Yes and no. I mean this is what I took away from the interview.
Speaker 1: Obviously a lot of people were angry about his extreme pro Israel narrative, which is way beyond what even Democratic members of Congress will say. They're much better at pretending to care about Palestinians than he bothered to do. And other people were angry about his views on China, essentially saying, we're doing to China exactly what we're doing to Russian only, you know, basically and stupidly provoking them with encirclement physically around their country. But although you know, I didn't like his answers on Israel up until that point, what I find so fascinating about him Ryan is that if you look at his life, you know, you can't find a more charmed life to be an establishment figure. He had two uncles who were senators from the Democratic Party, or rather his father and an uncle were senators.
Speaker 14: His other uncle was the president.
Speaker 1: He comes from this beloved Democratic Party dynasty. He's married to a very popular actress in Hollywood. He's wealthy, he's well known, he's famous. And what has clearly happened. You know, he was a long time an establishment Democrat. He's supported it, endorsed Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama. That's how much of it ingrained in the establishment. He was in two thousand and eight. And we've all had those moments where we kind of become radicalized when we realize in an issue that we know a lot about that the establishment is lying to us, and we start thinking, well, if they're lying to us about this, maybe I've been propagandized and deceived in other areas as well. He had the same answer on Rushigate. You know, I had previously said he was a supporter of Rushgate. His campaign contacted me and said they didn't think that was fair, but he said, no, you're right. I was a supporter of Rushigate because I got duped by the propaganda. And once I started hearing people in the context of COVID tell me, oh, vaccine skepticism means you're a Kremlin agent, I started realizing, wait a minute, how is this actually being used.
Speaker 14: And then the more I looked into.
Speaker 1: It that I read the Journal report, I saw that I had been deceived, and a lot of that comes from COVID radicalism.
Speaker 14: And I think that has made him somebody, even at.
Speaker 1: The age of sixty eight, who is now starting to really question a lot of things he's long been conditioned to believe, and is very willing to be open minded and hear arguments against even his most core convictions in a way that I find very rare. First of all, I've never seen that in an interview before, but also very encouraging, if more than any particular policy view. I think that character trait of being intellectually humble, of realizing some of your views may be grounded in unthought through propaganda, is an incredibly valuable one to have in in a major presidential candidate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not to mention a willingness that sort of works through them actually on air, not behind closed doors in the proverbial smoke fill back room.
Speaker 4: I think that's like a huge distinction as well.
Speaker 5: Do you get the sense I remember when Justice Democrats tried to cobble together that Ukraine letter and ended up retracting it.
Speaker 4: What was that like six months ago?
Speaker 5: At this point, do you get the sense, Glen that this switch that Ukraine perhaps is a window into an awakening for other Democrats Because it seems to me like the democratic establishments clinging to their narrative on Ukraine is similar to clinging to their narrative on Israel.
Speaker 4: But for people outside.
Speaker 5: The democratic establishment, they see that doubling down and they wonder why they would be doubling down. So do you get the sense that he might be representative of other democratic voters.
Speaker 1: I think, so, you know, I think the interesting thing I mean, of course, we've had politicians before this is in the first time SAYWHI was wrong, But.
Speaker 14: Usually it's because they're forced to.
Speaker 1: Like Hillary Clinton, running for president in two thousand and eight, was required to say I got the Iraq War wrong and apologized. So was John Kerry because the voters demanded that what rf K Junior is doing is something that is likely to expel him from his political and social circles, saying I got Russiagate wrong by being too gullible about it.
Speaker 14: And I don't.
Speaker 1: Believe the word in Ukraine is a just word that we ought to be pursuing and involved in the United States. And I think when someone makes those kinds of admissions against their own interests, that's when you can believe more in the authenticity of those convictions.
Speaker 14: So the question of how much space is there in the.
Speaker 1: Democratic Party to start opposing Biden's bellicos rhetoric about Ukraine and fighting the Russians until the end after a year and a half now of all this fighting and killing with no end in sight, I think it's a very interesting one.
Speaker 14: The problem, of.
Speaker 1: Course, was that no Democrat, not AOC, not Ilion Omar, not Corey Bush. None of them voted no on that original bill. They all lined up unanimously and said yes, we support the Biden more policy in Ukraine.
Speaker 14: And that eliminated the space for you know, liberal.
Speaker 1: Pundits, even left wing pundits, to kind of start arguing against the war, because no one in the Democratic Party was doing that. If RFK Junior can create space and have debates and be seen and be heard as I think you will be, and start articulating this case, I do think there's some latent, you.
Speaker 14: Know, kind of.
Speaker 1: Hesitation or resistance, if you will, to this fact that we're now involved in yet another war and endless word with no one insight.
Speaker 14: That is increasingly dangerous.
Speaker 3: And I think the rhetoric and the argument around the spending money over there while not spending it here is is really powerful and resonates in a kind of common sense way. But what I actually love about it is that it will eventually force the government to make the real case, you know, for why it's spending that money overseas, because this is not charity, you know, We're not we're not shelling money out to Israel. We're not spending money in Ukraine or other you know, military bases around the world because of our benevolence, because we're just have generous feelings towards the rest of the world, like the Empire has very specific and distinct advantages, you know, to the homeland. And so it's not as if when you spend money in Ukraine, you know, you're not yet you're you're you don't have money to spend here in the United States. The United States can borrow it will United States. That's a at a reserve. And you know, seventy eighty percent of that money that we allegedly send to Ukraine never leaves northern Virginia or suburban Maryland anyway. And so it would be fun to see the government have to actually make that argument say that, no, don't worry, it's not charity. We're not supporting Israel just because we love the only democracy in the Middle East, which is so offensive to Iraq and leban and come on, man, they have elections. Why do we keep we even went to war to make a raq A democracy. Stop with this call it one of three that now none of them are very functional. So but that's not why we're supporting Israel. We're supporting Israe because we want a beachhead in the Middle East for our geopologis.
Speaker 1: How can you say that a government like the United States that is the biggest sponsor of the Saudi desbit and of Egyptian authoritarians and countries all over the world, actually cares about spreading democracy. The thing they're really interesting to me, Ryan is there's space obviously in the Republican Party for opposing the war in Ukraine. Trump is doing that, for example, But a lot of people dismiss that and say, well, conservatives don't want to fight Russia because the real goal is to fight China. What RFK said was hees China and Russia in exactly the same way. We have eight hundred foreign bases all around the world, while China has one. We're encircling them in Guam and Australia and Japan and South Korea with newcor tip missiles aimed at Chinese cities and newcor capable B fifty twos.
Speaker 14: Buzzing over their head.
Speaker 1: Biden but is the first president to say I will go to work with China over Taiwan.
Speaker 14: And his argument is the people who are.
Speaker 1: Paying for this neo conservative war mongering mentality, not just in Russia, but also in China and in general. Are the American people who are suffering at home because all their money is going, as you say to a lobbyist in northern Virginia and Maryland or too, you know, the coffers of Vladimir Zelenski and Israeli military agencies and increasingly arms dealers to prepare for war with China, and it doesn't benefit anybody, And the people who pay the most are the American people.
Speaker 14: I think that is a very powerful argument if you make it consistently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right because exactly because if you have to make the argument that the empire actually is beneficial to the United States, then the questions, well, who who's it helping here in the United States, Because you know, the regular person in America is that I'm not seeing it now. If you look at the kind of median income and the housing values in Northern Virginia, then things are going quite well. But if you're looking at the rest of the country, not so much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the confluence of Ukraine and China is really interesting because that's the test, right, you know, there are really good reasons I think to be wary of where a relationship with China could go in a.
Speaker 4: Million different directions.
Speaker 5: But the capture of the conservative movement by the defense industry, that's really going to be put to a test. It's one thing to oppose Ukraine, it's another to see where that policy evolves on China.
Speaker 3: And the last question for me on the Democratic Party, it is interesting to think about where this is going. My sense on Ukraine is that they just seem to be hope that this just goes away, that maybe this is the spring offensive is the end, and then there's some type of kind of no, there won't be a negotiated you know peace where they sign paperwork, but it's just the war basically peters out and it and the the lines get frozen where they are, and that then they don't have to take a stand on this on this question anymore. But then then you have the question of China, like you said, like how how bellicos and confrontational are they going to be? But there doesn't seem to be energy for any kind of an anti war movement within the Democratic Party. Where do you see it going?
Speaker 14: Yeah, and the big question is why not? Right?
Speaker 1: I mean, why are neocons from the Bush and Cheney era almost entirely now.
Speaker 14: With embedded within the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: They're not just anti Trump, their anti Republican Party and pro Democratic party they perceive, I think correctly, the Democratic Party is the better vehicle for the fulfillment of their foreign policy agenda, which is always about increasing and seeking.
Speaker 14: Out confrontation and war.
Speaker 1: And the question is why is there no space in mainstream liberal left discourse to raise these issues. There's a lot of energy that goes into the trans debate and the culture war, but almost none. There's no one, almost ever, who talks about foreign policy and war in the US security state any longer. And this is what excites me the most about Rfka juniorth candidacy is that I think he will be kind of a like a foreign in aside like your reminder that these values are values that people who identify as American liberals are supposed to embrace. And the question becomes, why is it that you know, nobody seems to mind within the Democratic Party that Biden is not just devoted to endless war with Russia over Ukraine. After President Obama repeatedly said Ukraine does not a vital interest in the United States. We should not risk confrontation with Russia over who governs eastern Ukraine or Crimea. That was Obama's emphatically stated view. And also why is Biden so willing seemingly to fort with the possibility of war with China, which would be, you know, the ensure the immediate extinction of the human race. And I think the problem has been the left flank of the Democratic Party, like AOC and the Squad and Bernie have been very focused on the culture war.
Speaker 14: Bernie kind of always still focused.
Speaker 1: On some of the economic policies on which he typically focuses, but that has left a huge hoole for people leaders in the Democratic Party, including on the left wing, to talk about these issues. And I do, to Emily's question, think that RFK Junior has a very significant space to kind of drive through there and become the person who reawakens a lot of those lurking sentiments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think that's right. I think Bernie, the Squad, broadly the Democratic Left, I've just wanted to put their heads down and focus on domestic stuff, some of the culture stuff, some of the class stuff. But just and and maybe it has something to do with the you know, Russia, and the way that Russia Gate unfolded makes them like even less interested and get entangled in that because there's no there's no advantage in a democratic primary because but maybe RFK Junior shows that there is a constituency.
Speaker 14: Quickly on that.
Speaker 1: You know, one of the best MLK speeches ever was when he delivered in Riverside Church in Harlem exactly a year of the day before he was murdered, and his argument was he apologized for not focusing enough on the Vietnam War until later than others did, because he realized there's no way to extricate American empire and militarism and imperialism from the domestic agenda.
Speaker 14: They go hand in hand. You cannot win one without winning the other.
Speaker 1: And this attempt by these kind of new Democrats to say, well, we can just let the CIA and the FBI go. We don't really think there are enemies wars as long as we're not sending American troops or something Americans will tolerate. It's not going to work because it shapes the priority in character of the US government.
Speaker 14: In fundamental ways.
Speaker 1: That means that the US government will be geared toward these kind of corporatists and imperialist policies.
Speaker 14: There's no way to separate those.
Speaker 4: That's the real culture war.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's exactly right, because you're trying to and trying to be a progressive party within the empire is going to have so many contradictions embedded in it. And you know MLK was pulling those apart in that speech. And if you don't, you're just become part of the machine.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and I mean you, I mean I once heard about this.
Speaker 1: But the time the establishment really turning against Martin Luther King was when he began becoming an outspoken opponent to the Vietnam War. They were okay, not all of them, obviously, but like kind of the liberal establishment of the New York Times and the like were okay with the racial justice Agenda and the Civil Rights Act and the like.
Speaker 14: That was what Lyndon Johnson ended up doing. It became a Democratic Party cause.
Speaker 1: But when he started saying, we have to stop the war in Vietnam, the US is the greatest purveyor of violence on the planet, the New York Times, the Washington Post liberal opinion makers really went after him.
Speaker 14: Because that's what becomes uniquely threatening.
Speaker 3: Good piece on that by Zedjulyn. If you go zed Jelani MLK and intercept his great piece on that will come up. And last question, what do you think of the new set?
Speaker 1: Let me check that out. First of all, you already lied and told me that the last question was the last question.
Speaker 4: So I've already trusted.
Speaker 14: Let me see it. Can we put I've only seen myself. I have to see this.
Speaker 3: You can't say.
Speaker 14: Aesthetic critique on Twitter.
Speaker 3: I'll send you a pic.
Speaker 14: I think it's very fucking good. I think it's I like the color scheme. I like how gigantic I am. So yeah, I'm not even a positive feedback so far.
Speaker 4: You're like an Easter island heads.
Speaker 14: I hover above you, guys.
Speaker 3: It's very it's very positive, very very intimidated. Back here.
Speaker 5: Well, we couldn't think of a better better guest for our first day on the new set than Glenn Greenwald.
Speaker 4: Go watch a.
Speaker 5: System update over on Rumble. It's fantastic. Subscribe on locals Glenn. Thank you so much for joining.
Speaker 14: Great to be with you guys. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Have a good day, and then I'll do it for the first episode of Counterpoints over here on the new set. Thanks everybody for bearing with any technical difficulties, but I think it was pretty smooth.
Speaker 5: We think it went great, and that's a huge Submid's all the hard work Griffin and Mac, the production team, Colvin, everyone has been putting into this new set. They've been working over the weekends at nights like literally building this, putting it together for many, many months behind the scenes. We are enormously grateful to them for all of that. And one thing I want to say, just to wrap up the show Glenn's point.
Speaker 4: I mean one thing to underscore.
Speaker 5: It's absurd that Joe Biden should not have to confront these arguments, whether they're made by RFK Junior or Mary and Williamson on a debate stage on pressing issues.
Speaker 4: Like Ukraine, like Israel, like everything.
Speaker 5: The idea that the man is just going to skate to a second term without actually having to confront anybody on a debate stage, I think is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It's so wild because a Democrat could challenge him in a serious way. I think RFK Junior is going to have a ceiling. Maryann Williamson has a ceiling. But the opening is very much there for somebody if they would take it. But it feels like it's a situation where if you challenge Biden and you beat him, you become president. But if you challenge him and lose, you're you'll be driven out of the Democratic Party. And it shows that so many members of the Democratic Party who are in good standing value their good standing more or even then their ambition to become president of the United States, which is just an incredible comment.
Speaker 5: It's why basically only Bernie Sanders ran against Hillary Clinton in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: When that was ripe for the taking.
Speaker 5: And on that point, we stand with James Vanderbeek, which as we close out the show, I will just say, man, you know what I love about James Vanderbeek and Crystal and you Ryan is that you guys work so hard and do a fantastic work, but at the end of the day, you love your kids more than anything, and you show I think it's especially important to show.
Speaker 4: People my age how you can make that happen. So congratulations to both you and James Vanderbeek.
Speaker 3: Is he of what's Vanderbeek's like relation to kids or whatever?
Speaker 4: Homesteadying has a ton of kids.
Speaker 3: His social media is just all of I gonna start following this guy. He seems like a big deal.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we had to basically explain what a big deal James Vanderbeek was to Ryan, and I shared a very embarrassing story about my crush on James Vanderbeek in middle school with the team.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to share it here, but needless to say.
Speaker 14: I was speaking.
Speaker 3: You just shared it.
Speaker 4: No, it involves an iPod video anyway.
Speaker 5: On that note, thank you so much for tuning into the first edition of Counterpoints here on our new set.
Speaker 4: Thank you to the team.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for all the premium subscribers for making this possible.
Speaker 4: You can watch the.
Speaker 5: Full show start to finish, no interruptions. If you are a premium subscriber over here on Counterpoints, we appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Hope everyone has a good week.
Speaker 3: We do see you later.