Speaker 1: As a league fifteen to ten touchdown Chargers.
Speaker 2: What's Up? Guys?
Speaker 1: Welcome into a Monday night football edition of Chargers Weekly, as always, joined by Matt Muddy Smith. Chargers coming off a primetime win against the Chicago Bears thirty to thirteen, a comfortable win money, the first comfortable win I think since January first of this year, a game where as it started to play out, you just realized how much better the Chargers were talent wise than the Bears. It showed out from almost the beginning. And now I guess a bit of a fourth in the road moment three and four going up against a four and three Jets team on Monday Night football, it's almost like a mini playoff game here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think that you know is we always talk about it, right tie breakers, you know, Tennessee and my Miami, and you can't afford to lose too many of those, you know. It's just so important that you try to win some of these, that if you end up nine to eight and the Jets end up nine and eight, that you get the tip of the cap. You know, Tennessee and these other teams, you've got to be able to build up some of that equity. So I think that's kind of what you're speaking to, right, is these Jets have managed to somehow figure out a way, especially this past week against the Giants. I mean, my goodness, they were dead to rights and Graham Gno just shanks a field goal and Zach Wilson decides to come alive for the final thirty seconds of regulation to tie.
Speaker 3: That was that the worst game of the year. That may have been the worst game of the year.
Speaker 2: What was it twenty how many punts? Twenty five four punts? Yeah, it's like the third most punts in the history of the NFL or there for like the last thirty years or something like that. So yeah, I mean, and that's you know I think, is well, we'll get into it, I'm sure, but like that's the thing is their defense is really good. You know, their offense is not. So that's that's where you kind of say, Okay, can the defense keep this offense and check and keet a pretty darn good justin Herbert passing offense, get those seventeen twenty one points that you think will be enough to get the win over a team that has really and they not only have struggled to score, Chris, but like Nate Hackett and you know, coach Sala, like they don't even really want I shouldn't say they don't want to score, but like their number one priority on offense is take care of the football. We can win this thing with defense and special teams and Hope and Breesehall busts a long one. Just take care of the football, Zacht take sacks, don't fumble, don't throw interceptions, and we'll figure this thing out in the final five minutes.
Speaker 1: Buddy, have you ever done those Twitter spaces where you just like you got a group of people and they're just talking, And so I did one yesterday with this Jets podcast as Jets cast shout out to those guys. It felt like it was like a New York talk radio show where like, you know, they're.
Speaker 3: Just asking questions about Er.
Speaker 1: They were all, hey, you know what what I think? My key takeaway after that was like the Jets fans and Chargers fans have a lot more in common than you think.
Speaker 3: You know, they're just like what's going on.
Speaker 1: They're kind of a you know, a middling record at this point, hoping to kind of hang on for a wild card spot and a lot of questions about Justin Herbert and the secondary and can Zach Wilson exploit this Chargers secondary. So I found it like, actually really cool. I feel like we should do that with with Chargers fans at some point, maybe during the season, just get on and answer questions, but before we really dig into the Jets anything from that Chicago game that you learned about this team, to me, it just felt like it was a team.
Speaker 3: You're supposed to take care of.
Speaker 1: Justin Herbert played well, Austin Eckler through the we were kind of waiting for that seven for ninety four and a touchdown, and the defense, save for the first play of the game, took care of business, kept the running game of check and kept the rookie Tyson Baje at bay.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's a lot to take away, you know, Chris, I do you know we're talking all these social media outlets now, you know, after every game, I like to hop on Instagram Live and just hang out for what I do is one beer. You know, however long it takes me to finish a beer or whatever I might have with me at the time, you know, maybe it's a drink after this one Monday night. You know, if the hotel bar is open, you know, if they'll serve me a nice double whiskey or something, that's what it'll be. But kind of what And I bring it up because there was a Raider fan that hopped in there and started talking a lot of trash, and I said, why are you here, you know, talking about the Chargers beating the crappy Bears team when the Bears team just beat the Raiders basically thirty to six. So I bring that up not to say, hey, I really rubbed that guy's face and it no, but like, this is a team that just knocked off a rate squad and basically got Josh McDaniels fired, that had rushed for over one hundred and sixty yards and four straight games and was one of the best rushing teams last year. And granted a lot of that was justin fields, but these last you know, nearly two full games, the Vikings and Bears game were with Tyson Bagent and they're still running the ball for one hundred and seventy five yards and the Chargers knocked that out. They were like, okay, you know, we talked about them taking away the right hand take it away and they finally took it away. Well, you're not gonna beat us on the ground, so you're gonna have to beat us through the air. And by the way, Mikey's gonna be playing a ton of press on DJ Moore and and we're gonna shade that way. And so I think what you saw was, you know, protection was shaded in the direction of DJ Moore. You know, he only had four receptions for fifty five yards. We'll take that all day. And what else? So then what did you see? Cole Comet ten catches. That's fine, you want cole Comet to knock you out instead of Deontay Foreman and DJ Moore. That's what we were looking for. So that I loved. I think it was a reminder that when you have a healthy Joey Bosa, a healthy Khalil Mack and now this rookie, you know, two lee two polo two, it's gonna be a struggle to run, especially if you're trying to run wide and you're trying to stretch it. These guys set the edge and they can do some damage out there. And I think that's that's certainly my defensive takeaway. You've mentioned it. The explosive on the first play was like moue, here we go again. Yeah, and then they were like, Okay, that's not gonna happen again. That's a mis cue. We'll get it fixed. They did, And I think you saw really a complete performance. You know, Derwin's first interception, the defensive line getting after Bagent, you know, the other interception from Assante, Like, it was a really complete game. And that was defensively, And I know we can get into the offense as well, but I'll just kind of pause there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, holding this Bears running attack is just two point nine yard arts per Carrie and Deontay Forman doesn't even get ten carries in the game. So the running the run d all year money has been pretty good, pretty stout, and they're gonna have to be stout against Brice Hall and company on Monday.
Speaker 3: We'll get into but.
Speaker 1: You know, offensively, you know, I mentioned Austin. I think I just think the toughness of Joshua Palmer to come back in that football game, not having a guy like Gerald Everett.
Speaker 3: Keenan doing this thing.
Speaker 1: It felt like Justin needed that game to kind of clear the deck and kind of remind people who he is, and let's face it, it's gonna be a different animal in terms of pressure, the pressure coming in Justin's lap on Monday night. With that Jets defensive line, they can rotate a bunch of guys in. You know, players are really all three levels. But I thought Justin held up well and I think you're starting to see, you know, just this off It's take shape a little bit.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't want to put too much stock in a win against this Bear's team because you know, you said it like, I feel like maybe I had a false sense of who they were based on what happened the week before and what they did to the Raiders and you know who Tyson Bage it was.
Speaker 3: I really did.
Speaker 1: I thought that Beijit actually played halfway decent. You know, I didn't think that he was kind of the reason they lost that game. You know, their defense just they couldn't generate pressure all evening. And you know that's another thing. The offensive line held up. Justin didn't get.
Speaker 2: Sacked, right, So you know, I was just pulling up the depth chart for the for the Jets just to make sure I have them when we get into that. But that's that's something they had to do right. The Bears struggled to pass to pass rush, and they struggled to pass protect take advantage of their weaknesses, and they did. Justin didn't get sacked. He absolutely tore them up in the first half. And you know, you had what I think sixteen straight completions or something like that. So and by the way, I forgot it. Sante didn't have that interception. It hit the ground. They overruled it on that fourth down, but it didn't matter. What's turnover run down is joh sir first career interception. I want to make sure job I acknowledge it was a jaw interception, but offensively didn't take a sack, didn't throw a pick because his team isn't good at rushing the passer, so take advantage of that. You know they are good against the run. I do think a lot of that though is And we saw that transaction this week. They didn't trade for a blocking tight end, but they cut one and they elevated one. And we know Nick Vinette, he's got some salt in him now. He's a little bit of a salty dude, and we like that. You know, you're gonna need a little bit of that in the run game, and they're gonna give him a crack at trying to get this thing going and getting that blocking tight end to get the extra hat on a hat, because that's been a big issue that designed rushes weren't right and second half it just it's they got to figure it out, because that's what they're trying to do, is they should. You know, you're up twenty four to seven, and you want to milk that lead, and they're trying to do it by running the football, and you'd hate that, they would, you know, have to scrap them, you know, to scrap the running game and just do what you do best and keep throwing it. That's not how you want to operate. So I think they're going to continue to do that, you know, and look for Austin to be under two yards per carry is just you've got to figure that out, you know. You know, obviously Josh Kelly had the explosive the week before against the Chiefs for forty nine yards. I don't know, if you just try to get him more carries, maybe put both of them out there at the same time. So Austin's a threat in the pass game and Josh's in the backfield. But that's something they certainly have to figure out. And then, obviously something that we've been talking about since Week two when he didn't have much action in week one, the fact that you finally got q involved, that you finally six targets, five catches, fifty yards a DPI defensive pass interference to get a first down on a scoring drive. Finally, and I credit Justin and coach more for doing getting some plays that Quinton's good at, you know, get those quick hitters so he can get some yack, get the back shoulder throws. Let him use that big frame of his to turn around and shield his defender and catch some balls. And so I'm hopeful that they don't try it, you know, they don't continue to try to make him look like Mike Williams, because he's not like the one target he had that he did that he didn't, you know, catch, he was six targets, five catches, was the one in the end zone, the Mike Williams special, you know, go up and you know, eat the bowl of doritos off the defensive back's helmet. So and he went up with one hand again, and I don't know what's going on there, but played his strengths. He's got strengths. You know, they're quick hitters, he's breaking tackles, he's getting some yack, and he's shown to be pretty darn good at those backed shoulder throws to pick up some first down. So I thought, really good opportunity from the for the offense to get him involved and get him some confidence going into this one.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 1: And you know Parum two quickly touched on him four for forty three in the touchdown huge in Gerald's absence was huge.
Speaker 3: The thing about Quintin.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like spectacle killer, right, but you know, five for fifty it's six targets. It just felt like progress, and I think it's necessary, especially going into this game against the Jets when he got Sauce Gardner on one side, who I imagine is gonna be on number thirteen. Yeah, Justin's gonna have to look other places. And Joshua Palmer maybe that guy he didn't practice again with that knee as we take this on Thursday, but you know, maybe this is another spot for Q to get further involved.
Speaker 3: In the offense.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I it was, you know, seeing those plays they felt very routine. But at the same time, just the fact that justin like you said, looking his way and making that effort to get him involved in the offense. Who knows money what happens on Monday night, because I think he may get some more targets.
Speaker 2: Well, he's gonna have to, Tria, I think you said it. You know they're gonna put Sauce on Keenan. I'm guessing, you know. I don't. I don't think I would assume they're gonna play a lot more Nickel and I don't soon. I don't know, you know, I really don't know what they'll do, if they'll put Michael Carter on them and and Sauscle just kind of play on the left side, or how they want to do that. If they just want to say, hey, Keenan's yours, go get them, that would probably be my guess. And I think the thing with Q is what we talked about, right quick, yeah, quick slants. You know, let them just get in there, Steve, you can get leverage, get them the ball and go. Because that pass rush, you know, I was looking off camera because I was trying to get an eye on it. Man, it is nasty. It's it's Quinn Williams, It's Quentin Jefferson, it's Jermaine Johnson. I mean, these dudes, they they roll them through, and it's it's it's tough, man, it's a tough front. Quinn is as disruptive as anyone in the league, you know, not named Chris Jones and Aaron Donald. And and he's he might be in Chris Jones territory. Now you know that may be how how good he's now gotten, so that ball is going to have to come out pretty quick. And I think that means, you know, big keenan game, big big Q game, or you know, like you said, Donald parms, see if you can get him matched up. Their linebackers are really athletic too. I mean their linebackers are playing really well. So I think that's you know, Quentin Jefferson, Quinn Williams up front, Quincy Williams, CJ. Mosey at that next level, Sauce Garner, DJ Reed, like, man, this defense is good. So it's it's gonna be an all hands on deck and it might end up being very similar to what we saw. Let's get a lot of those Eckler checkdowns. Let's try to get some yak. Let's just get the ball out of Justin's hands.
Speaker 1: All right, let's uh, hey, you know what I gotta ask you about this. This is a little bit off topic, but why would the Bears trade for Montes Sweat?
Speaker 3: It doesn't make.
Speaker 2: Any sense I think for them, Yeah, I think for them. You know, look, they better have had a deal in place or else. Montee just has way too much leverage and you're gonna have to make him the highest paid d N in the league. So let's just say they have a deal in place for him. They've got a ton of cap space, and I don't know how desirable they are if you're in the open market, but I think if you can bring him in, see if coach Eberflus can make that connection with him, feel like, Okay, I got a defensive coach. They need a defensive end, you know. I kind of like they've got all the They're gonna have two top five picks, you know, in the draft, so maybe you reset with Drake may or Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison or something like that. On the offensive side of the ball, and they just you know, pass rushers are hard to find. Man you know it. They are so hard to find and look, would I have done it? No. I just think it's weird because he's not on the same schedule as what the rest of your team is likely to be on. Right, Like, if I were the Raiders, I'd be trading as crazy as it's sounds, I just betraying. Max Crosby. Give me two ones. I gotta re I gotta tear this whole thing down. This thing needs to be torn to the ground and rebuilt. So I need as many draft picks as I can get. So all these guys are on the same timeline and we're just growing together. And I think that's something that you know, the Bears for whatever reason, you know, let me just pull up their their death chart here, just so I can kind of make sure I got this thing.
Speaker 3: Money, as you know. So the one thing I was thinking about.
Speaker 2: Though, Janica's toast Justin Jones, we know well is oh, I'm sorry, you know, like there's really not you know, there's not a lot there. I mean, Jalen Johnson's a good he's a good corner. I like Kyler Gordon. He's going into his second year. You know, they just spent big money Edwards was great in that game against the Chargers. He's been great all year. I like Tremaine Edmonds. So I don't know. Maybe they just feel like, hey, if we can just get some juice on that front level. We feel like we've got good linebackers, we've got a number one corner we believe, you know what, and the Kyler's coming along in his second year. We just need to get some juice on that line.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only thing I'm thinking is like, Okay, they're not going anywhere this year, Like, right, are you going to play them?
Speaker 3: Like why even play them? Like put them in bubble wrap till next year.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like you risk injury on a two and six team and this is a guy that you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna build your defense around. I don't know.
Speaker 1: This was weird the trade deadline? Did you before we get into just all things Jets, anything else from the trade deadline that that intrigued you? You know, there wasn't as much activity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the only thing I can think of is that, Yeah, I guess, Chris, like the thing I was, you know, we talked about so many different you know, potential maybe blocking tight ends, you know, what was out there. Could they go get Jeff Swain from the from the Cardinals. I'm trying to think of some of the other guys that we were thinking of. Could they go get Josh Oliver from the Vikings like one. Could they get Mercedes Lewis from the Packers, like? Were any of those things available? And I think ultimately whatever the ice was, which would not have been much, you know, maybe a pick swap, we'll give you a six, you give us your seven kind of thing, and they probably just said, you know what, Nick knows the offense, but he's he's as good. You know, we've got to make because that's why they made the change. That's why Tray's out, you know, because they were probably looking for that. To me, is what that signaled. We're looking for a for a blocking tight end. We need to find one. And ultimately they decided Nick Vinette was better than whatever else was made available to them at that position. You know, I think it was interesting, just with the Corey Linsley situation. I don't remember what then, what the what the compensation was, but you know, they trade for for Ezra Cleveland. I don't think it was much. You know, it's great, Yeah, it was six Yeah, so he gives them some depth now, and I just kind of think about, is there another you know, can you shuffle the line a little bit if if Will's getting warm down? You know, I thought maybe that could have been a position where they could have done where they could have added you know, I think I think what you see is so many of it are positions where you know, it's mostly defense. Right. You can tell Montes Sweat to get the quarterback, you can tell Chase Young to go get the quarterback. Like those those tend to be the positions that kind of you can do in the middle of the season because they don't have to really worry about the scheme and the fit and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, quick break money and we'll just get into the Jets, all right, guys. A big thank you to our partner Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider end laptop of the NFL and the Los Angeles Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at surface dot Com. VIP ticket packages for the first ever suit Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment capital of the world. Ticket packages boasted a array of offerings such as premium seeding to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL onlocation dot com or search NFL on location today. Your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location some money we briefly touched on.
Speaker 3: You know, the Chargers.
Speaker 1: Offense against this Jets defense maybe the battle that could decide the game. The Jets passing attack, which is thirty first in the NFL against the Chargers pass defense, which is ranked last. And you know a couple of those games, you know, the two A game, the Mahomes game kind of skews things a little bit, but that may be the matchup. You know, can Zach Wilson make plays against his Chargers defense or will this Chargers defense look similar to what they look like on Sunday night against the Bears.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I look at at Zach and I got his game log here. You know, he completed forty seven percent of his passes against the Giants. He completed fifty seven percent of his passes against the Eagles. Now he tore the Denver defense apart, which most people have, you know, for seventy three percent, but he didn't throw a touchdown. He threw a pick against the Chiefs. That was his best game of his career, that game against the Chiefs. You know, he ends up completing seventy two percent for two touchdowns, no interception. So it's in there. But then you look and you see fifty percent, one fifty seven, forty four percent, one seventy, sixty six percent, one forty in a pick and three picks against the Cowboys, Like there's plays to be made. The one thing you got to do against the Jets and man, you want to talk about age. Look, they just did it. They just did it against the Bears rush attack, Deonta Foreman and and uh Roshawn Johnson and Dj Moore. Well you got to do it again. There's only two guys you gotta worry about. It's Garrett Wilson and it's Breece Hall. Garrett Wilson is the only pass catcher that Zach Wilson throws to I mean like he's got double the targets, double the yards, double the touchdowns as anybody else on that team. So if Alan Lazard or Randall Cobb or Tyler Conklin are gonna beat you, great, go get him, Zach. Do not let Garrett Wilson beat you. You know, put Michael Davis on him, shade your help over there, you know, rough them up a little bit at the line of scrimmage, and make sure you don't let Breece Hall get loose. So like to me, remember, their offensive line is in shambles.
Speaker 3: It's a mess.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is destroyed. So I think it's I think defensively it could look a lot like it did against the Bears, where these guys are in the backfield over and over and over again. Now Zach can run. Zacks an athlete, he can move. But at the same time, to me, defensively, those opportunities are there this defense. What do we say before the Bears game, like, hey, this is a Joey Bosa game, you know, going up against borhim the East. This is Joey on number seventy five. This is a Bosa game. And it was you know, he got the sack, he had the huge stop on fourth down where he just I mean it was one hand and he wrecks him and he's in the backfield for a loss on a fourth and one. Like it should be that way again. It should look like that for Joey. So, you know, take care of the football. Force a turnover like they did last week. They forced two nearly three, and really when you count the two turnovers on downs, you can almost argue they forced four turnovers, you know, two on downs and two interceptions. Do that again, and I don't think it's gonna take very similar to the Bears. I don't think it's gonna take but seventeen points to win this game. If the defense plays like it did last week. And really, you could say Chris for the last six quarters since halftime of the Chiefs game through that whole Bears game, if you can get the defense to play that way and more day on Henley, please, can we get him out there a little bit maybe on some third downs, get that athleticism out there on some third downs. I wouldn't mind seeing him running around. I think Eric Kendricks has done a great job this year against the run. He had a huge couple of huge stops. But I think on passing downs, I wouldn't mind seeing day On out there. You just saw him, Man, how fast he was running sideline to sideline. Man, it was impressive watching him close and laying some lumber. I would not mind seeing him and Kenneth out there on third downs.
Speaker 3: I'd love to see Thember Zero out there.
Speaker 1: You know, a couple of years ago, Joey Boss I think led the NFL w strip sacks. And that's where I feel like it's for the taking. On Monday nights, you got Mac and Bosa coming off the edge with Tully. Those three guys could decide the game. They correct the game, and you know, heck, forget one turnover, get a couple score on defense.
Speaker 3: I mean this.
Speaker 1: I think this is the opportunity for Joey and Khalil to have to pin their ears back against an offensive line that's as beat up and battered as you mentioned, like the New York Jets. You know the back end too, you know, get your hands on the football. Derwin finally got his hands on the football. We've seen Zon do it, you know, since he's been a Charger. John got his hands on the football last week, so I think the defense is gonna have to show up and maybe score. Someone asked me to score what they thought the score was gonna be Monday night, and I said twenty to seventeen. I think twenty points wins you this game.
Speaker 3: Buddy.
Speaker 2: Do you remember well I would say this, Chris, if the Jets score seventeen, they have not, Let's see what do we got? We got a twenty two, then we got ten, ten, twenty thirty one, twenty okay, yeah, so that works thirteen Like I don't want to see him score more than thirteen. Like, to me, this is like a this is an opportunity. You know. We talked about it last like go you know, going into the Bear game, we talked about, hey, this is the game you dominate. This is where you, you know, can take I wish they would have taken their foot off the gas a little bit more. I would have liked to have seen that last offensive series, you know, just get everybody out of their kind of thing, you know, because they could have done that. They did it on defense, right, you know, you had all the backups in there on defense and give them an opportunity to shine. I would have loved to have seen that. I'd lie, I am hopeful that they can do that here, that you can pop a couple here or there. You know, see if Herbert can pop a couple, get up fourteen nothing, or get up let's say, get up double digits, maybe it's fourteen. Put this team in obvious passing situations. Yeah, and that's when you can really tee off. That's when you can start to tee off if you can get up by let's say ten or fourteen, and in the second half they feel like, okay, we can't just run the ball and punt and try to force that turnover. Play the field position game because that's all they against the Giants, and it worked because the Giants are a terrible offense. So that's just the way they want to play. You know, they want this thing to be a rock fight. And I think if you can try to find some explosives early, then you know, that's the key here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Jets are not equipped to play from behind, you know, And you're right, fourteen to nothing would be the perfect scenario, now you flip it. We talked about this in the offseason, the slow starts to the second half. Now they've just become kind of slow halves for the Chargers offense. It seems like they come out strong in the first half, didn't score in the second half against the Chiefs of the Raiders. Are you concerned that this trend will continue, you know, especially against a Jets defense that's as stout as they are money, like, you got to play four quarters offense.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's you know, it's clear what it is. I just pulled up the game log right from that second half. So you're up twenty seven to seven. They score a field goal on the opening drive, right, so now you're up twenty. You know they're struggling. You want to run the ball, see if you can get some of these five seven minute drives that end in field goals and just get this thing done. Instead, you got Austin Eckler on first down for minus one yard, you know, so that's a three and out. The next one you get the turnover on downs deep in Bear's territory, Austin Eckler one yard, and then that puts you off schedule, and then you get two incompletions and next thing you know, you're kicking a field goal after gaining one yard on a turnover on downs. Then you look at it here right, Austin Eckler up the middle, three yards, Josh Kelly right guard, three yards, Austin Eckler up the middle, no gain. Austin Eckler on fourth and one, no gain. They can't run the ball, you know, they have really struggled to run the ball. And for whatever, I don't know what it is is, I don't know why it is. I don't know if they're the wrong run design, you know, if the designed runs are just wrong, if if they're not able to block them up. Does Austin Eckler not have juice? Like, I don't know what it is, but that's why the second half looked like that. You know. Then the final drive, which was a three and out, was spiller for one yard, spiller for no gain, spiller for two yards. And that's them just running out the clock. You know, basically that was the So I shouldn't even put that one in there, but you get the gist. Their designed runs have been bad. Like they're dead last in the league, you know, in EPA on designed runs, so and they're dead last by a wide margin, like a wide margin. I think their success rate is in I wish if I was more responsible, i'd pull it up. I think their success rate is in like the twenty twenty two to twenty three percent range, and like the next lowest is in the thirties. It's it's a drastic difference as to how bad they've been. And that's those numbers. By the way, those include the Miami game. Like that's the crazy part about it, Like they were unreal. They were the number one rushing team in the league in the Miami game.
Speaker 1: The predictability, though, money, do you think that's that can hurt them against the Jets if the Jets don't even respect the run and the Chargers try it in the first quarter to no avail. I mean, I know Justin can make plays with the best of them, but like, I mean, it's it's you gotta playing like one handed here, Like, hey, we're gonna throw the ball every down?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, I mean, look, they have to run it. I think it's just trying to figure out, Okay, these plays aren't working, So is it not? You know, like, is it is it Isaiah Spiller? Is it just you know, instead of trying to stretch these things and find the gaps that are out a little bit wider and you're running wide, So why not just let's take the biggest back, see if we can run them up the gut. Let's just see if we can get a little more north south somethun in the A and the B gaps. See if we can create lanes there. Now, again, I think this goes to the Nick Venett you know conversation. Do they think this could be in addition in the run blocking game, where you know he can help them out And now you can get to those edges a little bit more. You can get another hat on a hat and have a little bit more explosives on the edges. So look, we know it's in there. You know Josh Kelly had one for forty nine. We saw it against Miami, so you know it's And look the Jets, if I remember right, aren't the Jets? The Jets are not a good run defense. They're a really good pass defense, if if memory serves correct, they are not a good run defense. Let me see what I got here. I'm almost positive of that you.
Speaker 3: Can run on them.
Speaker 1: And I think that the Chargers will probably try to see what they got cooking in the first quarter.
Speaker 3: Money. You know, whether it's Kelly or Spiller.
Speaker 2: You know, I think Austin, yeah, one hundred and fifty, one hundred and forty five per game's get it, you know.
Speaker 1: I think Austin talked about like, you know, he's not happy with the way he's been running the football, and maybe maybe this is a spot to get right on the ground for this team, because you're gonna have to pack it at some point. You really are gonna have to pack it at some point, and and Monday night would be a nice start against a team that you know was four and three right now, money, I'm just looking at these these standings in the AFC, man, it.
Speaker 3: Is completely jumbled.
Speaker 1: Coincidentally, we're we're taping this during the Titans Steelers game, which we could look back week seventeen and be like, you know, that was actually a big game in terms of like the tiebreaker with the Titans, and you know what the Steelers could be. Right now, we see Cincinnati coming on. Baltimore looks to be the class of the AFC North. The Jets are just hanging around. The Bills have underachieved. The Dolphins are six and two. We know what the Chiefs are even though they stubbed their toe against the Broncos.
Speaker 2: The Broncos and those two teams are playing, by the way, Dolphin Chiefs are playing this week, So get a little bonus there.
Speaker 1: How about how about the Broncos beating the Chiefs and then standing pat with all the guys that we thought were gonna be a part of the fires sale.
Speaker 3: I feel like the Broncos and the Broncos, you look at their.
Speaker 1: Schedule, you know, who knows they could get on a little bit of a run here, so that that six and seven seed in the AFC completely up for grabs right now. Unfortunately, the Chargers, you know, I think they're like technically a game back of the seventh seed. But you got to a host of teams in front of you right now. So it's it's one game at a time. It's cliche.
Speaker 2: Here's here's my one. Here's my main concern right when I look at it as it stands right now, Kansas City, Miami, Jacksonville, Baltimore. There's your division winners. Do you think any of those four are falling out?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think any of those. Kansas City's gonna be there, Miami is going to be there, Jacksonville's going to be there, Baltimore is gonna be there. They're gonna make it. So then I look below them and I see Buffalo, and then you already said it. I see the Bengals coming on. I see the Bengals.
Speaker 1: So now they play each other Sunday night, Buffalo Cincinnati exactly.
Speaker 2: So to me, I feel like, I feel like there's one spot. You know, I know the Bills have left a lot to be desired, but I just feel like they're a complete team. You know that look without Milano and you know they've had they've taken some serious injuries on the defensive side of the ball, no doubt about it. You know, Milano and exactly Tredevious White. There you go, so two of their best players. So they're gone, they're you know, they haven't played great. You know, you can make a case that they should have lost to the Giants, that they didn't get that PI call on Waller in the end zone, and that would if they would, you know, you feel like, okay, now you got it from the one. You win that game with sakuon Barkley, and if Chris Godwin just decides to look for a ball, they maybe lose to Tampa as well, So you can make a case that the Bills aren't quite right, and you know they say, and you get to play them head to head. But man, I just feel like there's some really good teams up there. When I'm looking at the standings and I think about, you know, this team could be four and three. Have they just maintained against the Titans. It feels so much better than three and four when you look up and you see Chiefs, Dolphins, Jags, Ravens, Bills, and and Bengals all in front of you.
Speaker 3: So look, so look at this AFC.
Speaker 1: So I completely agree with you. I think there's those six teams. They're going to be there once we get to January. So this is who you're competing against, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, the Jets. That's why, that's why Monday's big right to see. You know, let's say Tennessee. You guys will know the results. So I don't want to speculate on tonight, but you know, Will Levis looked good last week.
Speaker 2: He's keep playing tonight. He's playing great man, So.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe they got something in Will Levis and the Titans going to run Mike Vrabel can coach them up with the best of them.
Speaker 3: Denver may think that they can get on a run.
Speaker 1: They're only half a game back of the Chargers right now, right, I think I don't know if Antonio Pierson company in Vegas are going to get it done. I think the Colts are a year away from from doing much without Anthony Richardson, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, here's the good news, Chris, right, think of all those those names I've just read off, so we know, like we just talked about this, right, the Bengals are coming on. The Browns have perhaps the best defense in the league. They've got serious issues on offense, particularly at quarterback, but you know they've got and if they're in the conversation, is the best defense in football. So the Chargers get to play the Ravens. The Chargers get to play the Bills. They get to play both of them at home, you know, so, and they're both in primetime Ravens on Sunday night, Bills on Saturday night. There and the Bills have to travel on. What I'm guessing is, let me see if that's it's not a highly doubt it's coming off the bye. No, so they're going to be coming to play us on a short week and they're gonna have to travel on a short week, so you get a little bit of an advantage there. So that's the good news is these teams are in front of you, but you got a head to head and you have a chance to own that tiebreaker. So you know, Unfortunately for the Chargers, the the Ravens are going to be coming off They're gonna be coming off the Mini by They're playing Cincinnati that Thursday night before they play the Chargers on Sunday night.
Speaker 1: Giganic honestly, like, you know, if the Bengals are who we think they are, I think that they could end up winning the North.
Speaker 3: Like they started slow, that game would be crucial for them to because I think they lost to the Ravens earlier this year if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 1: They did, so you know, you split, then you have Baltimore come to town. If the Chargers get the head to head against the Ravens here now now we're doing the uh, well, it's in front of him. Yeah, I think all I'm saying, Chris is it's in front of him. As daunting as it looks, the good news is you get to play them. You get to earn it. You know, if we feel like, oh, wow, I don't think the Bills are falling out. I don't think the Ravens are falling out. Well, guess what, you can go earn it. You can knock them off. And now you've got the tiebreaker there and it's still you know, I hate doing it because look, this is a big game this week, but it's still in front of them.
Speaker 2: You just got to win. You've just got to win. You had to beat the Bears. We said that this is a must win game against the Bears. This too is a must win game. Get this game on Monday night against a team that is one of the absolute worst on that side of the football. They are one of the worst offenses in the league. The Bears are one of the worst offensive lines and defensive lines in the league. Take advantage of it, and they did. And so I think this is a chance for the defense to really flex to say, hey, these six quarters were not a fluke. These last six quarters are who we are, and we can make plays and we can sack the quarterback, and we can create turnovers, and man, talk about just you know, talk about creating turnovers. I'll tell you there's just some guys, man, that are football players. They in Alowe is a football player. He's just he is always in the right spot at the right time and makes the right play over and over again, and the timing on that and that's what a pass rush does. So now you get this pass rush and bage it's a tick off and he's got to get rid of it and he doesn't have the zip on it that he wants to have on it, so it floats up a little bit and there's a Looie ready to make that hit shoulder on the ball as soon as it arrives, pops up in the air and Derwin is able to get the interception. Like it's so good to have a Lowie Gilman back there. And I'm.
Speaker 1: So glad you mentioned him because again I think he got from the Minnesota game right, so like the Chargers had not had him, and I think the secondary really did suffer without him. He just he's like a glue guy. He's a he knows the system, he's a calling presence back there. Derwin trusts him, and you know, I look at these games against Chicago and the Jets as almost confidence.
Speaker 3: Builders for this team. Right, you beat the Bears.
Speaker 1: Right, next step, go on the road Monday night. Beat a team you're supposed to be get the five hundred.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Then you get the Lions. And we saw what the Lions did to the Raiders. The Lions are good, the blip, they're the blip. Against the Ravens, you throw it out. It was just it wasn't their day. That'll be the game, right. A couple of confidence builders in this say, Okay, we got Detroit in our place. This is where we can make our move. We can get the five and four, get our role, and prove that we can actually beat a really good team, a Super Bowl contending team in the NFC. So none of this matters. We'll have a different conversation if the Chargers fall to the Jets. But I think that they are prime to at least get back to five hundred here on Monday night.
Speaker 2: I just feel like, again, the the blueprint is there, you know, get Let me just get to the box score from this last I mean again, it was twenty four punts. Twenty four punts. They sacked him four times, They had eight tackles for loss. Like they forced the Jets to punt eleven times for five hundred and twenty nine punt yards like, and that's a Giants defense that is not great. It's not so Tom Devino under center exactly. And that's why they only scored ten points, right, you know they should have scored thirteen and got the win. But you know, I think that's create the turnover. Go up, don't let this team lean on Breisee Hall, and you know, just get after it. Stop the run. Force Zack Wilson to beat you with anyone but Garrett Wilson. I mean, my gosh, Like the Giants were able to shut them down in the run game. They only rushed for fifty eight yards on twenty two carries, and look what it was thirteen points in overtime. Like that's so that's what you gotta do. You gotta shut down the run because you know, Robert sala is not gonna let Zach Wilson throw it all over the yard unless he absolutely has to. He wants to protect the ball and lean on his defense and try to create some fumbles or try to create some turnovers. So you know, it's to me, it's another one on paper that looks lopsided. I know their defense is really good, but you ought to be able to create some turnovers and just really shut that offense down to where you can get up two scores and then start cutting loose.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at this box score for from the Eagles game just because I feel like that's a that's an offense that has a playmaker on the outside and in Brown and Branta Smith and Tevi Goddard a running game. You know that the DeAndre Swift had ten carries for eighteen yards in that game. AJ Brown went off seven for one thirty one, Devonte Smith five for forty four. They only scored fourteen points. Jalen Heard has had three interceptions.
Speaker 3: So I thought, that's the key is justin just taking care of the football.
Speaker 2: You know, he's turned it all over four times. Yeah, you know, so that's again, that's the key. That that and that's look, that's what the Jets want to do, right. They ran it twenty one times for eighty nine yards. They weren't getting a bunch of yards on the carry out the box score in front of me now and they're like, hey, Zach, you're gonna throw out thirty three times for one hundred and eighty six yards. You're gonna take five sacks. But you're not gonna throw a pick and you're not gonna fumble, and we're gonna win this game by field position and field goals and a timely touchdown somewhere.
Speaker 3: The field position thing I think is absolutely key too.
Speaker 1: And somebody mentioned this to me yesterday, is you know how important it is to have a weapon like Cameron Dicker and to take the points against a team like the Jets, right like, instead of going forward on fourth down in three or fourth and five, if Cameron Dicker is like fifty three and in trust Cameron Dicker, he's missed two.
Speaker 3: Field goals as a member of the Chargers.
Speaker 1: He's been money automatic and an absolute weapon for this team. So I think, especially in a game like this money where we could see it being low scoring and points are going to probably be at a premium, Cameron Dicker could be another deciding force here in this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great point, Chris, And I think that's something that Coach Staley has said when he's been asked about the fourth down stuff. He's like, it's it's not a philosophy, it's just the game dictates it, you know, And to me, you're right, this is a game where you're fine taking field goals, take them all. You know, you can get into positive you're get a plus territory and get into dicker range, and you know, hopefully it's a it's a favorable weather, which it looks like it's just gonna be a little chilly. But outside of that, I think you're fine. Then take the points, you know, take the points. So look, I think it's it's not it's not blowout. I don't. I don't think it's like that. But I do think it's a game where you know, let's let's see that Brandon Staley defense. Shine. Let's let's do the same thing you did against the Bears. You took away Dj Moore, you took away the run game. Do it again, take away the run game. Take away Garrett Wilson. Let anything else beat you. Anything else is fine, but don't let it be those two things. Yep.
Speaker 1: And I just I just go back to what you said earlier that I think is probably the most likely path to winning is to get out in front of this team right off the rip, you know, right like you said, get up fourteen nothing, because I can't envision Zach Wilson coming back and beating Justin Herbert. So a quick start on offense, you know, be opportunistic on defense, and see if you can get to four and four.
Speaker 3: You ready for New York?
Speaker 2: Well I better be. I'm leaving tomorrow morning, so I'm gonna be there, be there all weekend, so I'll have plenty of time to get settled in before the before the Monday nighter. You know, I'll just say this in in closing. You know, I think I think it's it's a great opportunity for Justin to use his legs in this one. To me, that's that's something that's gonna have to be a factor. And I'm not talking about him running for ninety yards. I'm talking about Kellen Moore designing some just boots. Just get him on the move, don't let him sit back there. They're too good up the middle to just get in his lap too quickly. So and you know what, when he's on the move, take off, you know, take off and pick up five slide and you know, just get positive yards. That's that's gonna be the key.
Speaker 1: Maybe, hey, you know what, maybe design runs like that's the way to get a running game going. Why not?
Speaker 2: And you get the team on their heels, no doubt, exactly, no doubt.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, well, hey, as always, we appreciate you listening, watching for money. I'm Chris. We'll see you next week. Hopefully the Chargers will be a four and four and.
Speaker 3: We'll be talking about a pivotal game against the Detroit line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll you next time. Let's get it.