Speaker 1: And That's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's what you Really missed podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Jenna, I am Kevin. Welcome to asian F. Ooh, we are here. It is season three, Episode three, Asian F originally aired October fourth, twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm having sort of an excidential crisis that word already. Yeah, we're here. I don't know what happened.
Speaker 1: I know it's pretty crazy, but.
Speaker 2: You texted me last night and you were like, this episode is great.
Speaker 1: I am loving this season, and every episode gets better.
Speaker 2: I feel like we've hit a stride of just really good team television.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and some of it, like this episode didn't have a lot of teacher drama and that was sort of nice.
Speaker 1: Right, except for except for mister Shoe, which is like a whole.
Speaker 2: Yes, mister Shoes a hole. There could be a class taught at Harvard about well, there's.
Speaker 1: A TikTok an algorithm for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's shoe talk. Shoe needs to be in prison petitions.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 1: You're right, we hit a stride. There's a lot happening, but it's moving forward, like there's we're leading up to a school musical and class run for class president, and I just it's it all feels like the stakes are in high school like this, this is like feels like what it was like for me. I was doing a school musical, I was running for class president. Like this all feels very real to me.
Speaker 2: Did you run for class president? I was class president? That's right? So this really is relatable to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, this is what I want to watch, Like, this is what I fourteen year old you would want to watch.
Speaker 2: When we were doing it. Did you feel that way?
Speaker 1: No, that's this is exactly the point I was going to make very good Kevin. Watching this episode back yesterday versus doing it, it's two different shows. To me, Yes, I was like, this is crazy. This doesn't make any sense. The continuity doesn't work. Where this one I watched, I was a fan, a viewer, and an emotionally invested viewer like my my musical theater girl self with a big dream to like go be on Broadway again, was like, this is the episode. I was like, he's following his dreams. He's not doing what the norm is. Mike Chang like he's auditioning for the musical, like everybody's just going after their dreams and it was like, oh yeah, like that's glee to me.
Speaker 2: There is such a disconnect for us, isn't there.
Speaker 1: It's it's alarming how a disconnect is funny versus and also have all fond of doing this episode. I was like, this is gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Yes, when the strike is over and we have more actors back, I want to ask people, not just from our show, but other shows if if they've gone back to watch what they did, you know, sort of in the same distance of time like we're doing right now, like ten years twelve years previous, if they also felt that where there's the show that you're working on, there's the job, and then there is the thing that people are watching at home.
Speaker 1: And like if there's a complete disconnect us, I will say, like watching myself, when I have like heavier episodes, I cringe a little bit and I don't feel as invested. But when I'm not in as many of the scenes, I feel less.
Speaker 2: Fully Yes, right, yes, it is like you can take yourself out of it because you're literally not in it totally. Do you think this will make you a better actor?
Speaker 1: Well, I sure hopes I was a bath actor.
Speaker 2: I just mean yes, yeah, in terms of like when you when you get a script or you're auditioning for something, or if you're on a show or a movie, being able to play through lines right, that work through for scene to scene or from episode one to episode whatever it may be twelve or twenty two for the end of the season, of being able to I feel like I'm now learning watching this that I didn't really know what I was doing.
Speaker 1: That's funny because I.
Speaker 2: Was.
Speaker 1: I learned how to do that in school, so I was trained in that. That's not what I learned about. I learned about like how my face actually reads on camera, like I learned, and not about like how to trace and do my research and you know, tracking and kind of the beats. It was like, this is how I this is what reads, this is what doesn't read because camera is so different than bare So it's like, oh, that actually could have been bigger, that could have been smaller, this could have been less, we could have been subtler. Here, Like there are just moments where you're like, oh, I didn't need to work as hard or I needed to work harder.
Speaker 2: Script analyzation. It works regardless of like what medium you're doing it in, totally, but coming from theater, like you're saying, coming from stage, that is a whole other lesson within itself, right, thank you.
Speaker 1: It was also frustrating to not be able to track your character, Like, had I known the stutter was fake, I would have done some things differently. So like in theater, you get to do that, You get to put it all out on paper for six weeks and then craft your journey for the show. You're like, well, I hope it goes this way, Like not everybody. You know, some shows are planned out from season one to six, but very few I think, like are like that. And so.
Speaker 2: Or if there was like a JK. Rowling Professor Snape type thing where he knew no end that wasn't published yet, like he knew what his endgame was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right exactly. So you're just doing your best and being in the moment. But I didn't. Yes, I've learned a lot. I do think I would be a better actor. I sure hope.
Speaker 2: So I also see I really enjoy watching our friends sort of grow in that way as well, totally, especially in this episode, Harry and Amber, Remember, was really because we all started from a relatively the same place, yes, and you can only work with what you're given, right, and to see them sort of step into these storylines, I think, challenge them totally. It was just really satisfying and made me so proud watching.
Speaker 1: And it felt like watching Harry. Not to speak for him, but it felt like for watching Harry in this time, who had been a dancer for most of his life and was really trying to break into the acting scene and bere have a more reputation as an actor and dancer, this fella get mirrored it a little bit like you started to see Mike Chang come out of his shell and try and do more and be you know, not just the dancer, but you know, auditioning for riffs. So it was just a really cool episode, especially for Harry. I felt like very his storylines really resonated this time around.
Speaker 2: I thought Harry and Ambers' storylines were very meta for several reasons. And I think obviously Ambers for all the obvious reasons for Dream Girls doing that number.
Speaker 1: Oh, I got that number.
Speaker 2: And to your point where you were just saying about Harry, I couldn't help but think about you know what has become of his career post Glee unbelievable, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And you.
Speaker 2: See someone like Mike Chang go through, I'm like, this could be little Harry in high school, and like, little did he know that he was going to go from dancing in an iPod commercial in an iPod commercial to literally being on one of the most successful TV shows, Gray's Anatomy not Glee, of all time and also movies and yeah, and being in a Best Picture winner, and so I it was really beautiful to watch that and I felt so sentimental watching him play that out.
Speaker 1: All Right, so let's get into talking about some of this, because I feel like we could we could do two things at once. This The number one song is Moves Like Jagger Again.
Speaker 2: Number one movie is Dolphin Tale. Fun fact that nobody cares about that this was based off a dolphin that I had grown up around.
Speaker 1: No stop, that's very funny.
Speaker 2: I grew up going to marine biology camp in Clearwater, Florida, and the marine biology camp was at a It wasn't it was part of aquarium, but mostly rehabilitation center for I love that, yeah, for aquatic sea life and animals and things and that movie came out and I was like that the name of that dolphin sounds familiar. It was like, wait, that's the dolphin dead. Yeah, my entire life. I grew up going there. And it was so nice because they got so much more attention post that movie because it wasn't just some aquarium. Like these people marine biologists worked there and special and so they got some money from that movie and helps them do their work.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In Glee News this week, members of the cast attended the premiere of American horror story Murder House, and I was at the Cinerama Dome Rip and Leah Chris and I, Amber, Harry, Jama Dott and Ashley went. I feel like the other reason why we maybe weren't there was either a we were tired and didn't want to do a red carpet or B we were shooting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like at that point, if we got invited to like you would have gone, Yes, we would have gone, So we must have must have been working. So this episode, like Jenna said, was directed by resident Glee director Alphonso Gomez Rojon, written by Ian Brennan, and just has some really wonderful guest stars. In addition, to Edina obviously shout out to the parents that were in this episode.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Mike Chang Senior, Julia Chang, Rose, and Rusty Pills Right, oh my lord, oh my, I mean opposite of this on the spectrum, opposite ends of parenting here, uh right, but wonderful performances from all four of them.
Speaker 1: That was It's always nice to meet the parents.
Speaker 2: Yea. And I like how we went from having barely any songs last episode to having six songs, very good songs, yeah, and like lengthy, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Totally spotlight, run the world cool from outside story, It's all over out here on my own and fix you.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, I know this is out here on my own is a big song. Everybody knows it.
Speaker 1: You didn't.
Speaker 2: I sort of know it as someone who like hasn't spent their life listening to it. Yeah, damn, that song is so good. And also I know we know how good Leah and Amber are, but we need to have certain people tell that story.
Speaker 1: Lord, this famous and bangers.
Speaker 2: That is that? That song.
Speaker 1: Out of that song, Yeah, that's that was probably the most famous one next to famous.
Speaker 2: I think, like what the whole time I'm like, there's no bad there's no bad lyric in this.
Speaker 1: There's some fun facts from this episode before we get into the.
Speaker 2: Meat that makes me angry.
Speaker 1: Every issue Mercedes has in the episode could be associated with pregnancy. That's right, causing some fancy believe that she was pregnant. And she took to Twitter. She made here that people knew that she said, ps Mercedes is not pregnant. Lmao. Okay, bye.
Speaker 2: Very because it was very Yeah, pregnant cyts mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: And this is the first and only episode to revolve around Mike Chang Love that and where he sings two solos. Yeah, Mike Chin sings two solos in one episode. Uh, this is the first time. And those who audition for their chosen role with a West Side Story song, Rachel with Somewhere Blame That, Something's Coming and Mike with Cool all got their desired role. Maybe something to be said about singing from the show cardinal rule musical theater kids do not sing a song from the show unless instructed. Ever, that's the difference between high school and the big Leaks do not. Okay, just had to put that out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah I didn't know that, so thank you do not.
Speaker 1: Do not big no, No. I mean, look, who knows what these days these kids are doing. I've been out of the game for so long I don't even know anymore. And then, however, the audition, the auditionees that did not audition with a song from the show did not get their desired role, although I guess Mercedes could be argued that she did get the role, but she turned it down. And this is the first episode since Hirography a thirty three episode gap that Mercedes sings a solo, a duet, and a solo and a group number in an episode Thank you haesus because we need more Mercedes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that's too long. We need as much Mercedes as possible.
Speaker 1: What's going on in this episode, Kenny?
Speaker 2: Okay, So, after Mike gets quote unquote an Asian f on a chemistry test, which is an his father wants him to drop out of Glee Club, Mercedes auditions for Westside Story and is done with sharing the spotlight with Rache. Brittany's campaign for senior class president kicks into high gear, and Emma's parents visit and cause a flarepa for OCD plus the musicals cast list is finally posted.
Speaker 1: Oh, we want to see what do you want to start with?
Speaker 2: Kevin, I think let's go with the namesake of the episode. Let's talk about Mike and the Asian f I did text you because my expectations were really high for this episode. He said, it was so good and then in the first five minutes there were so many that's rights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And it's like, oh, you have an Asian one. Huh, I make one, you make one. And then Exemeio also references himself not having a dad. I was like, right, let's right. Tropes and stereotypes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's exactly exactly. You can just save those for tardy takes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, moving on, Mike Harry in.
Speaker 1: This episode is just award winning. I my heart like was breaking for him, but also I'm so proud, like empowered by him. I like I said, the musical theater kid in me was just It's everything I needed in my fifteen year old self to hear.
Speaker 2: And your Tina was a good girlfriend. Also because I mean Mike Changs Senior sits sound with Fickens and is like thinks Mike is doing drugs because he had an an And then finally reveals he thinks it's his girlfriend that's the problem, and Fagan's reaction good. He looks up and he's like yes, and then you have that whip to you in the hallway.
Speaker 1: The Vampiatina comes back first second time.
Speaker 2: This is fuck.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. I love doing it. It's I think it's so funny. I love doing it working with Iggball because we never really got to work together. Aside from my racist line, I could have cut that out, but I didn't. I just really enjoy Vampire Tina. I love that Figgins is like deathly afraid of vampires. He thinks they're real, Like, you know what, get me out a gym class?
Speaker 2: So smart? I was like, she's crafty, and I really because Tina doesn't normally come off like that, Like she's someone who's out there threatening the principle.
Speaker 1: Right, but nobody knows about it. Nobody knows she does it. She just does it, and.
Speaker 2: It's always in the same spot, in the same hall like he.
Speaker 1: Just gets scared everything. Tina is going to be a good girlfriend for another couple of episodes. She's really going to support Mike in this whole thing with his parents, which is I think not unrealistic. In the world of musical theater, parents really have a hard time with you know, kids doing pursuing the arts without a backup, because it's scary and it's very hard.
Speaker 2: So I like this storyline and it also lends to some beautiful scenes.
Speaker 1: Well, Harry dancing in that dance room.
Speaker 2: With no music, Oh my god. I think that is one of the most powerful scenes on the show thus far, because the show is never still right. The show does not sit with silence ever, And I was so taken aback by that. I kept thinking, Oh, where's the music going to be? Like what's happening?
Speaker 1: And I almost like some piano or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I almost want to I wish I could look at the script to be like, how was this written? Was it intended to be like this? Or was this an Alfonso decision? But I love it. It was really powerful.
Speaker 1: Either way, all fonds of decision are not all Fonso put his pretty little pause all over it. Yes, And I remember shooting it. It was a very quiet shoot, like Harry had time, and you know, having these new actor adult actors come in, you know, you're like you're like stiffen up a little right, you want to like put on your a game and with the parents. They're both such excellent actors that like I get to work for them later too, and like they're just great. So everything felt a little bit like elevated for that scene and quiet, and you know Fonsie, he really is very focused when he works, and it was really quiet that whole time, and I really liked it, and I liked shooting that with Harry. It did feel different though, it felt like out ofly like when we shot it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I think is nice because it is signed something special to Harry's character mm because like you know how people have a certain style of songs, the characters always sing. He has a certain style of dancing, and now I feel like has a certain style of performance now that he's been given that scene.
Speaker 1: And then Harry's audition for or Mike Chang's audition for you guys, did you watch that? Were you there for a lot of that or no?
Speaker 2: Yes? I believe so great.
Speaker 1: So charming, well the football players.
Speaker 2: It was so backup d choreography phenomenal, and Harry just kill.
Speaker 1: One of his best numbers I think in the show.
Speaker 2: I think it might be his best number it really is phenomenal special and it fits his voice. And I really really liked seeing him be a lead in that way. So he looked yeah, exactly this episode. First of all, a little hottie.
Speaker 1: He looked like a leading man. I mean I buy it as he should be. M h okay. And then obviously we're bringing in the football players because Beast has required them to dance, so that that integrated both.
Speaker 2: There were some if you look closely, there were a number of vocal journal and dancers on the football.
Speaker 1: Team, maybe the same ones as the single ladies dancers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were back like they're not in the football scenes in the locker room, but they will be dancing. It's a lot of people to always have around, you know, totally. So then Harry or Mike Chang, I like that we both keep doing that mm hmm. Decides that obviously he's going to audition, he's going to be in the musical, and he's going to do it all and he wants to dance. And his mom swed.
Speaker 1: Moll I cried, good is she amazing? I mean amazing. They're chemistry too. I liked having parents around. I'm not gonna lie, I really enjoyed it. Even though they weren't my parents, it felt like kind of my parents because I was associated with my chain excellent actors again, like it just like you kind of like, you know, push your shoulders back a little bit. You're like, oh crap, it could actually work.
Speaker 2: That little dance they did was the sweetest thing. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So just yeah, spoiler alert, Harry's gonna my chain's gonna get riff woo duh, rightfully. So yes, okay, let's talk about Mercedes. Oh boy, where do we begin.
Speaker 2: I mean, Ambers showed up. Yes she did, I mean she always does, or like she was not played. So Mercedes encouraged by her boyfriend needing to like nail that audition, and she's sort of taking it back when he's He's like, you are better than her, you deserve this. But at the same time, she's struggling and Booty Camp showing up, she's showing up late. She's you know, has all the pregnancy symptoms. I can't symptoms like no, I mean, but you know there are symptoms.
Speaker 1: You get.
Speaker 2: It was so odd, like all those things were so weird, but you know, shee continuing his streak of really talking to the students appropriate is not like letting her have an inch. And after that sort of initial exchange between Santana Shoe and Mercedes, Mercedes isn't having it. She goes and nails that audition and that down and that's that song.
Speaker 1: Well also just back cup singers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all I could think about was you you guys just stepped touching in the background.
Speaker 1: Okay, once again had there and I somehow get canoodle venagled into doing the backup vocals because we're like, sure, we'll do it.
Speaker 2: And I feel like you find out day of.
Speaker 1: We absolutely found out the day of. I remember learning those ease and literally sitting in my seat behind Amber and me and Heather being like, all right, here we go. And at some point you just get used to it. Yeah you're like cool, I'll that go, Bamber, no problem. But then why were we in our regular outfits in her audition?
Speaker 2: Well that's just like with when Mike Chang auditions in the whole football team, the Letterman Jackets. You know, it's not it's supposed to be not a very affluent town, you know, so to spend money on costumes or an audition that is not your own audition yeah, whatever, we have a full band and orchestra.
Speaker 1: It's fine, it's just very funny. But I thought that was really funny. We definitely learned that on the day, those oohs and that stuff touching that was my prediction. But happy to back Amber always.
Speaker 2: So Mercedes nails are auditioned and sends the three of us basically m off off to like deliberate and we can't decide because they're both so so good, so we make them do basically have a callback.
Speaker 1: And I didn't realize that you guys were together so many episodes, the three of you, Like I forgot like this was a series of episodes, that this was the storyline.
Speaker 2: Kind of That's why it's so fun because so much of I feel like the gleast are started and wrapped up with in a single episode. Yes, yes, so it's nice to have something carry over a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. No, you're totally right. Yes, they do a callback and you make them sing seminole Broadway out here on my own.
Speaker 2: I also you see me during Amber's performance and like moving my shoulders and samar producers like I'm imagining that was just your real reaction. Obviously, anytime anyone's performing, you're getting my real reaction because you are feeling it. Yeah, there's no way they have They're a bump in the music on these big speakers, and you just have to give you a reaction, like I'm a student, Artie's a student watching his friends, and I'm a friend of these people in real life, and I just could not. Luckily it worked with the storyline and I could not enjoy it.
Speaker 1: They both killed it. Yeah, I love when a duet is like this, you know, I think I got to listen to that again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, thinking and I think this is underrated.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agreed, it's so Yeah, and the song itself is just excellent. So it's just it's a winner.
Speaker 2: And I think what it does just like with their characters, but also in real life, it shows their range and ability the two of them, like they're just masters totally at that and but they're so different, but they used to do the same thing but just.
Speaker 1: With their own flair. Yes, yeah, no, really special, this one was special. Yeah, we sive that for the end of the season.
Speaker 2: We're only in episode three.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know. So because you guys can't decide because the peanut gallery can't decide. They just decided to split cast and or double cast, sorry, where you split the role and you're doing they're doing two weeks of performances. I have to say that is a very long time for high school it's usually two weekends. But okay, but all right.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And Mercedes not so polite lead declines the she knows she was better or thinks she was better, and Rachel knows, and Rachel knows and Rachel was great. That's the thing. Look, if you're looking at cast, you know, type cast, go for it. If you're not looking at type cast, go for it. Like there's there's two ways to look at this, right, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did like Rachel knowing and like acknowledging.
Speaker 1: We had to kind of have that in the show.
Speaker 2: Because that has been very it's been the opposite of that up right now, right, I do want to talk about though. Right before that, there was that storm out that leads into the dream Girl's number. Let's talk amber. The way she lays into Shoe, lays into everyone. I was pushes over the music. I was shocked and it is so good. She also thought she was.
Speaker 1: Going to get a little bit in trouble by mister Shoe because mister Shoe can't speak that way to the students, but like students also can't speak to authority figures that way. You're right, not back in the day, maybe now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like every scene she was in. We had that scene with Rachel when Rachel when they find out they have the callback, and Rachel goes to Huger and she puts up her finger, which Amber doesn't realize.
Speaker 1: It's very funny.
Speaker 2: But she was in command of every scene she was in, and it was it felt good to see yes, former cities and for Amber, yes, we clearly have a hard time separating care from real truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, like you watched them grow and then you see them do the scenes and you watch it on TV and you're like, wow, I watched that that.
Speaker 2: Monologue into dream Girls twice. I had to run it back.
Speaker 1: So Dream Girl's number was funny because it's basically it's an ensemble kind of weird number, right, talking number that leads into and I'm telling.
Speaker 2: You, yes, it's weird. You'll get that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't get that. I did see him do it, and it was I got that. But it was a weird day. It's a really weird day. It took a long time for us to get ready, and then the girls waited around for a long time, so me, Diana and Naya didn't do much, and so they shot for a really long time without us.
Speaker 2: What were they shooting?
Speaker 1: The boys like the first half and then it came around to.
Speaker 2: Us because it really feels like you're in almost.
Speaker 1: But we waited around for a really long time. So we were hanging out in Candy Kan Lane, which is like this little alley way that we named candy Kan Lane, so that telling you where to find us when we were hanging out in between scenes and like when we were off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a way to find some peace and price. I was in kiddy Can Lane for most of the day. Wow, looking glamorous, very glamorous. We had like oh deya from that it's that day. Yeah, yeah, yes, that's the photo.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll post all these photos. But that was a really fun one to shoot and also just to like support Amber and her like awesome storyline.
Speaker 2: So good. And then she ends up because she takes some she rejects the role and then we finally, oh my god, finally get the start of the Trouble Tones I and she walks into that classroom like yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you see it on Shelby Horker in Space.
Speaker 2: Yes, We're about to make hits.
Speaker 1: I also need to talk about Booty campfell within this storyline because Booty Camp the one where Tina magically appears. In Booty Camp, everyone does right, Everyone's there for some reason. It was a fun day to shoot. Anyway, I hurt my finger on the floor when we get down on the floor, my finger bent back. I had to go to the medic at Paramount and I had to be in a handbrace. So for like the next few episodes, I had this handbrace I had to wear off camera. It was insane and I would go out with Naya his handbrace.
Speaker 2: Jena, because you look at that Booty camprig What are these moves?
Speaker 1: I know? And of course I get on the floor yourself, my hand, my thumb bent backwards.
Speaker 2: Only they had everyone jumping on trampolines.
Speaker 1: And the next scene they have me. In the next episode, I'm in a hand race. I don't know if I wear it on camera, probably not, but wild. Yeah. Anyway, thanks Woody Camp for nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm ready for Woody camp to be over personally, yeah, I kind of hate it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the race for senior class also is heating up because not only now is their Kurt and Brittany, who's.
Speaker 2: Also got a bunch of stats about the patriarchy, love that, but also Rachel. Mm hmm, this gets heated. She's flailing. She's flailing, she doesn't know what to do, where to go, she's fully panicked.
Speaker 1: Well, she doesn't think. Rachel doesn't think that she's going to get Maria after she watches Amber a Mercedes audition and therefore desperately decides that she's going to run for school president. This puts Finn in a pickle because of Kurt, because Kurt asks who he's going to vote for and Finn doesn't know, boom.
Speaker 2: Boom, and Kurt is sort of like, I am doing this out of the goodness of my heart. Basically, someone like me being president could really change things for people up to the school. And then Rachel was just like, well, I need the credit by my applications well.
Speaker 1: And Kurt just yeah, really kind of digging in about how this could be really important for the school and everything. It's like Kurt felt very mature in this episode, as our producer would say, because it felt like giving up and like you said, giving Blaine flowers and kind of just you know, conceding to the whole tony thing and which I didn't always take Kurt to just sit back and allow that. So like, this was really nice to see you. It was very giving and selfless. And then also having this like nuture conversation about like what this could do for the school versus like the credits that he wanted to get for Nada.
Speaker 2: Blaine's line was correct. Every time he thinks he's going to zig, He's totally right.
Speaker 1: I wasn't actually watching when that happened, and I heard it, and I went, uh.
Speaker 2: Huh, I have a question. Yeah, I just I'm wondering for viewer purposes, like when you see those exterior stairs and hallways in like the outdoor lunch area where we perform sometimes like does that work? Does that read like a normal school in Ohio to you?
Speaker 1: Or like does it feel like an extension of McKinley or does that feel separate?
Speaker 2: Because it feels so separate for us, very separate. I mean it it is like three different high schools that we use sometimes. And also it feels very California or southern California to me to have schools that are built that way and there's so much outdoors where, like like our when I went to high school in California, moving from Texas, Like our hallways were exterior hallways, and so just like Bernstein and we were shooting that whole stairwell outside and people were eating outside, and it's like, is this do I buy this as Ohio? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Wait, I have a fun fact. So my my tailor who was doing a dress for a wedding and then I'm going to her and her son, he's grown now, he's probably in his twenty mid twenties, he just finished college, said that they growing up back when we were doing Glee. They went to the Staples Show to see us, and they watched the show together right when it was airing originally. And I saw her yesterday and she said, my son went to Ohio for a wedding. Now he's from la he's from Pasadena. She's like, my son went to Ohio for a wedding. That's where Glee was like, that's his theiation with Ohio, which I thought was so funny, like, coming from California, They're like, well, Glee was.
Speaker 2: Here, Yeah, Glee was set here. I've had a couple of people say that to me recently. I was shocked, and I can firmly say that was never in our minds but never, we never thought that about the show taking place in Ohio.
Speaker 1: And then also that like, people's associations with Ohio are Glee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but of course they are because I watch shows and I know what city that take place in, and I think about them every time I go there.
Speaker 1: Totally okay, anyway, sidebar, I just wanted to share that little tidbit.
Speaker 2: I think it's that is important to note though.
Speaker 1: So the class president thing is all great, but more importantly, run the world.
Speaker 2: Lord, I was watching this screaming holler in. First of all, do you know the level of dancer supremacy we have in this I know Beyonce's real dancers, Lady Gaga's real dancers, justin Timberlake's real dancers. We have Pink's real dancers. That was ever crazy. We have Taylor Swift's dancers. Like, we have all the best of the best dancers dancing with the best dancer on the show. And it was.
Speaker 1: Again this and out here on my own this song it goes into the top, not the song song, but the performance. Joking, are you joking?
Speaker 2: That shot Feather, the first shot of her in the auditorium auditorium sorry, the gym Superstar.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my god, in the side hallway, I know this dance really well in my mind. I started doing it, yeah, because I forgot I was in it.
Speaker 2: I'm only in like one section of it too, Like I don't even think I was there when you guys did the stuff in the gym gym. My only in real life interaction was just when they come to the classroom and I was so mad because I wanted to see it all.
Speaker 1: Oh my god it was I was hollering. I was so excited. This made me so happy. And this is when I texted you I think I've ran around this time. I was like, already, we're here, we are here. This episode is just giving me everything. It was so.
Speaker 2: Good, just the way like Beyonce has a certain like pose how she stands that is like her power pose. Heather has the same thing. Yeah, and they do like that pushback in the gym and she's like, you know, the weights on one hip and those heels. You're like, yeah, to go literally round the world please. I texted Diana because I was like, you gotta see yourself doing this. But I just text her. Okay, she has not texted me responded yet, but she I've never seen her dance harder. She looked like she was all, you look like you were living your life when all the dancers go down, and it's like her and her hands are up like that is Diana. I was full Diana in real life.
Speaker 1: We were living because like we were just surrounded by like people going so hard and it was so much fun. It was really fun. I really loved shooting that. I forgot I was in it, but I was like, oh, yes, like that was that day because I confused that one with what's the number we do later? Womanizer?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I can't even imagine getting to dance in their company.
Speaker 1: I know it was a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, powerful.
Speaker 1: Yes, very anyway, that had to be a feature feature moment.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 1: And then we've got this other storyline with Will and Emma and how Will is feeling a little down that he hasn't met Emma's parents yet, and for good reason, Emma has avoided it, but will takes it upon himself to surprise her bring her parents over for dinner. Not doesn't end well.
Speaker 2: No, not a great idea. Also, ginger supremacy.
Speaker 1: I can't with that. It's just it's so strange and weird.
Speaker 2: But it does remind me of like early Glee mmmmmmmmmm. And so I do like it for that because it feels like the weird, quirky stuff that we had just in the first few episodes of the series.
Speaker 1: Totally, and it does trigger Emma to like back to her and original where we met Emma in the beginning of Glee with her OCD, which was so sad it was actually it was weird, right, like the whole story was weird. But it was also great to see Jima giving us some acting moments range and then mister Hue, even though this was his fault, supporting her during these really tough moments, and him getting down on his knees to pray with her, and then getting into fix.
Speaker 2: You before we talk about fixing you.
Speaker 1: I can't even watch it without laughing.
Speaker 2: No, I couldn't watch it without laughing. I was really scared. I scanned ahead to see, like what was coming up was like, oh, no, good shot to fix you. They got good shots of us and fix you. None of us looked too crazy. No, But I thought Jaima was phenomenal this episode. Those scenes where we're talking about who we should cast, she had some, and all the scenes between the teachers and the teachers lounge had some. The writing, I think the teachers in this episode just really minus Shoe, was really like sweet, saying really complimentary things about the students therefore like the characters that we've seen grow, and it was just really I really enjoyed that for some reason, I don't know. It's one of my favorite parts of the episode. I also think Dot was incredible.
Speaker 1: The line. Her line, it was one of the hardest decisions in my life, and that includes when I had to sell one of my two two prize donkeys to pay my gas bill. I sold kim By cat cloth.
Speaker 2: Also, she had to eat that bowl of pasta so gnarly.
Speaker 1: What I chicken at least is like, yeah, I don't know, I don't know which ones worse, to be honest, because it's both like like TV food, it's not like a whole food, it's chicken, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true but I thought Dot was so funny, and also she's sort of steering the ship and a lot of these storylines. Truly, Yes, props to Jama beautiful work. But also it was Will's fault. He should he was taking advice from Beast right right steering the ship, but Beast didn't have all the information.
Speaker 1: No, she didn't. I don't know. Looks like freaky Dege's coming down with a case of the cleanes. That's also not okay. I hated these parents so much. Yeah, they were so good, but they're they're like Quinn's parents or Quinn's dad, you know, you're like, oh, cringe.
Speaker 2: It was nice to see more parents, though.
Speaker 1: I know so many parents. Okay, fix you. We talked about this before the oos. Okay, when you put all of us together, which we haven't been together a lot in this episode on Risers not doing very much, that's the problem. There's not a lot of focus because we don't have a to do, so we have to stand. There were never just standing there, so we do oohs and all the oohs. At the end, when Matt singing his very emotional number, we're behind him singing off key, really really badly and loudly.
Speaker 2: It was so unprofessional and we yelled at us.
Speaker 1: He was like, come on, you guys, like focus, Matt has to cry once again. We're doing something well, Matt has to cry, and we're getting in trouble for it. But it was so funny. It will go down in history. It's like one of my favorite moments of like working with everybody because it's we're all trying to make each other laugh and it was it was really hard to watch.
Speaker 2: They really edited that magically beautifully because I don't think I was looking for a shoulder.
Speaker 1: We like shoulders were shaking, people were crying.
Speaker 2: There were a few and I could have just been projecting here, like searching for something that didn't exist. But on Harry's face and Chris's face, like the slightest it was knowing smiles and like twinkle in their eyes. I'm on the brink.
Speaker 1: LEA looked was looking down in one of them, and I was like, oh no, I don't know. Yeah, there's a few of us that were tells that like maybe other people couldn't tell, but they're tells for us. Oh God, I will never get over that. Sorry, Fansie, I know us. He never cared either though, He's like whatever that you guys, It is pretty much the episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this season so far.
Speaker 1: Has done Yeah, upward Upward.
Speaker 2: Feels different, but not in a bad way totally. It just feels.
Speaker 1: More like seamless in a way. Should we do some tarty takes, let's do it. Cringe romans, there's a few, there's quite a few. Yeah, there's all those racist jokes, all the racist jokes that we mentioned or didn't mention. Shouldn't mention Emma's parents. Just bad bad?
Speaker 2: Oh god?
Speaker 1: Okay, best dance move.
Speaker 2: Harry, just Harry and not the widow Maker, thank you very much. What the hell is the widow maker? You?
Speaker 3: I didn't have to be there, Okay, best song? Oh you know my own Yeah, I drew my own romans by prop.
Speaker 2: My brace my my mouth spray Oh, which made nose. I'm kidding that that made no sense. Props department. Shout out to Prop's department. They were just trying to give me things to like do as a director, like something else to do, and they gave me this like breath spray. But the West Side story cast list, I think that was important. Yes, yes, yes, that's a good one best lines.
Speaker 1: Okay, God, I really like Figgin's delivery of Chinico and Shang and her band at no place in the.
Speaker 2: Loved it.
Speaker 1: It was very funny.
Speaker 2: Santana didn't have a ton of this episode, but every time she opened her mouth, nice blouse, hummel really brings out the color of your pink eye. Oh my god, are you kidding me? What? There's some other lines? Can we just like Brittany talks about the patriarchy? Where has patriarchy gotten us double digit inflation? Economic freefault? Oil spills wore in Afghanistan? Santana Kurt looks like Jimmy Fouon's butch daughter, but a vote for him would only empower yet another Franken Beans.
Speaker 1: My musical theater herself giggled when Kurt said if anyone else got Tony, including me, the wrath of Sondheim would fall upon William McKinley like a plague of Schubert Allie locusts. I was like that had to meaning and Brennan Lyne very specific, very specific, very good performance, MVP Kevin.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think a tie tie?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, what are you gonna say?
Speaker 2: Harry and Amber?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean Harry, maybe just because it's his episode, but like Amber, really she really brought it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have no argument against that. I think that's I think that's what it is. Okay, shit, we found a TikTok today is a young Olivia Rodrigo and someone saying this is wanky pleak, minkey peleek. I don't know, minkey pleek. This is so Rachel Barry coated me in the shower after watching Glee and it's a little Livery Rodrigo singing don't rain on My parade.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this is amazing.
Speaker 2: It is so cute. Oh my god, a little singer, isn't it great? You should go. Everybody go look that up if you haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 2: I finished this episode and started singing some of the songs from it, so I get it.
Speaker 1: Okay. So before we go, we just wanted to give a shout out to one of our listeners and one of the biggest gleeks, Amanda Singer.
Speaker 2: Amanda has been a gleek since the show came out and is getting married on November eleventh, so her sisters planned a bachelorette party Jenna. There were Glee props Glee tattoos like big quinch cups and at karaoke night. Are you kidding?
Speaker 1: I'm floored. I am floored. That's amazing.
Speaker 3: You are.
Speaker 1: Honored.
Speaker 2: I hope it was an incredible success for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and you hope you had the best time, Amanda, And congratulations on your wedding. One an accomplishment and how exciting for you. I hope it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Gabby for sending us the photos. Yes, yes, Okay, happy wedding, Jenna. Next week we have we have Damian McGuinty. That's right, pot of Gold, Trouble Tones, Rory candy Man.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Oh we're getting meta.
Speaker 1: We are getting meta. Well, thanks for joining us for Asian f and see you next time.
Speaker 2: That's that you really missed. Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.