Speaker 1: I'm Vanessa Mayor and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 2: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood in nostalgia and how it shaped us into the people we are today, who.
Speaker 1: Are double excited for today's.
Speaker 2: Podcast, Welcome to How Did We Get Weird?
Speaker 1: Jonah, I know we're both very excited for our guests today, and I recently got to do their incredible podcast, Radio Lab, and when I was on it, I got to talk about something that I don't talk about a lot, which is that sort of my resting face is confused or lost. Because Sam, one of our guests today, also sort of has a similar resting face. Now, Jonah, what is your resting face? Do you think like when you're just walking on the street, et cetera.
Speaker 2: I don't know really right, because it's hard to know your own. But I have been told when I lived in New York, I had been told people had seen me when I was I was usually late and I look mad. I think I look very focused, and that can be perceived as angry. And we have a picture at our parents' house of me running a marathon and I look really mad, but I think I'm just like in it, I don't think I'm actually angry, but yeah, I could see, I could see confused.
Speaker 3: I could see confused.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's usually because I'm deep in thought. But when I'm deep in thought, I look confused. And I'm often deep in thought, and so I think, and Jonah, I know the photo you're referencing, you do look very angry. And there's a photo of me running cross country where I think I look lost and confused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you may have been lost.
Speaker 1: Well it's like right in front of our high school. I think, like I probably wasn't that lost. But it's funny that I think we have similar temperaments and yet one looks angry all the time. I'm in one looks lost all the time. Yeah, not all the time.
Speaker 4: But not all the time. But yeah, when you're in the zone. But yeah, when we're in the zone, when you're in the zone.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you want to introduce our guests and we can get into yes a little more.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would love to, Jonah. Our guests today are two hilarious comedians that you may know from their hit podcast Radio Lab. Please welcome my new friends, George Severis and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 4: Wow wow, wow, Okay, just right off the bat, I'm like, what if Vanessa, okay, what if the mustache is what is making the change and all you need is just a sort of like Halloween store mustache that you put on when you want people to take you more seriously so you don't look as lost.
Speaker 5: But I immediately debunk that because I have a mustache and look lost.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, that's right. And I think because as I've said on your podcast, Sam and I are, I truly believe we're made from the same stuff. I think my mustache would look exactly like Sam and everyone would go look at that lost gal with a mustache.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 4: She's lost and she has a mustache, Like, oh my god, a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do think Jonah, the length, how long have you had your mustache? Because I think the length of it does imply a serious sensibility.
Speaker 4: It's a certain confidence. Yeah, I've had it for a while. I would say, I don't know, maybe six.
Speaker 2: Or seven years. I would say, yeah, maybe something like that. But it takes me. I still struggle sometimes with trimming it, getting the right you know, it's kind of complicated. You try to go in from the ends and then go in Yeah, and it's yeah, you don't want it too long, so it's getting your mouth. Then if I cut it too short, it looks kind of weird, So it's it's it's a.
Speaker 3: It's an ongoing kind of process. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about you too? How long have you have you too had your kind of mustache situations?
Speaker 5: But but do you feel left out? You can't talk about your mustache?
Speaker 3: But also how long have you not had a mustache? Why did you shave it off? Yeah? Do you feel less than.
Speaker 1: Well, I do feel a little less than I you know what. I see the products and I go wow, you know, the peace to the etc. But go ahead, give you give your mustache stories.
Speaker 5: Well, I have had my mustache for I want to say seven years at this point, Okay, yeah, I was lost. I was trying a bunch of different facial hairs and none of them were working. I really wanted, you know, I wanted the big beard. I wanted to look like sort of an indie rock guy, and it just was not hitting. And when I land on the mustache, I said, this is the perfect middle ground between gay guy and indie rock guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I love that. That's incredibly Yeah, and I've had facial hair.
Speaker 4: I grew a beard six years ago, I think when I was going through a breakup, and it was very much like my going through a breakup thing, and somehow I just never went back. And now I've actually I've aged enough since then that like last summer, I did shave my beard and I was like, oh no, I look I don't look good like I now need the beard to hide my face.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Like I'm like, I don't look like I used to look right right. I think when you have facial hair, there's always this thing in the back of your mind. You're like, if I shave, I'm gonna look like ten years younger. I can do this at any point, just totally like I'm purposely making and then you realize, like, maybe that's not actually true.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's like little things like again I'm not you know, I'm not fishing for compliments here, but I just like, naturally your skin SAgs a bit, so like my like chin is not as defined as it once.
Speaker 1: Was, and that's not true.
Speaker 4: But I'm just saying I've seen photos of myself and I'm not saying I would look I look like a monster if I shave right, it is noticeably you just like age in the span of six years, and so I don't look like I used to. For the longest time, I was like what you would call baby face, like especially when I was like a kid. I feel like through the age of through like twenty six or something, I could have been eighteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's simply not the case anymore.
Speaker 3: When I shave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so I never thought about that. I feel like, the thing that a lot of women do is they have bangs and that hides like forehead, sure, kind of lines and stuff, but I never thought about that with facial hair. You know. We have a crazy story about our dad, which we've told on here before, which is that the day of Jonahs bur Mitzvah, our dad was using like a mustache. Our dad has had a mustache our entire life, and he was using like a mustache like shaving kit, and he decided to just shave off his entire mustache.
Speaker 2: I think he made a mistake, and then you know, you try to even it out and then eventually you just have to Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it was so shocking to us. We were just like, who is this man and why is he indulged Jonah's barmitzvah photos like it was. Our mom was so furious because again it's like the most photographed day.
Speaker 4: That is a common thing when you have a big events. Sometimes it's this so clearly incorrect instinct where were like, well, it's a big event, so I should do something big. Yes, when you actually need to just look like yourself.
Speaker 3: You under the pressure basically, yeah, pressure.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we have these photos. It's the only time our dead has ever known at a mass mustache and he's unrecognizable.
Speaker 5: My uncle did shave off his mustache and he had one forever and then he literally he did look ten years younger.
Speaker 3: And so I am thinking.
Speaker 5: Of it as like the glass I can break, Like, yeah, I'm like, as soon as I want to look like go back in time a little bit, I'm breaking that glass. I'm shaving my mustache and I'm being young again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the.
Speaker 1: Breaking a lot. It's in the in your mind too, Jonah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think so. I think so.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'm also just curious, like I'm wondering, I wonder what my upper lip looks like? Yeah, because it's not something I really see very often.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I do think.
Speaker 2: In the back of my mind, I'm like, yeah, I'm gonna if I shave it off, I'm gonna look like I'm like twenty five or something, which is probably kind of not true.
Speaker 5: It's one hundred percent true. You look so young. It's gonna be amazing. You're gonna be able to go back.
Speaker 3: To college, and they're gonna be like, yep, he's just like us. I'm gonna start getting ID everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole thing. It's can be kind of annoying. Actually, I guess I said, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: And they won't accept your ID because you won't look anything like you anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, They're like, who is this mustachio gentileman?
Speaker 3: This is clearly not you. He's way above eighteen.
Speaker 1: Jonah and I were both in New York for a really long time, and I lived really close to NYU the NYU dorms, and we Jonah and I used to go to this bodega near me and it was like, I'd want to buy like a thousand cookies and like it was this is kind of a meandering story, and I don't mean for it to be, but the point is we basically would act like we were in college to like sort of fit in with all the college kids, and we'd jonah, you remember that.
Speaker 3: I do remember.
Speaker 1: We'd be shopping and we'd be like, oh, like, got to get ready for that exam, because otherwise it would be embarrassing to be there, especially because like I was on SNL all the time.
Speaker 3: It was like I was probably like thirty five. We'd be like, oh, we need some some brain food. A big CALC exam.
Speaker 5: Coming recognize you, Like it's just like working out right, like in order like.
Speaker 4: The fact that your instinct, rather than to play up the fact that you're on television, your instinct is to pretend you're a college to This really goes back to, honestly, the whole being lost.
Speaker 3: Well, this isn't looking lost, this is being lost, is.
Speaker 1: Actually being lost and making up for that face. Yeah, we would be like, oh, man, gotta get brain food for those exams. And then I would want to buy like three enormous cookies and a brownie and stuff, and I'd be like, these are for him, which is a move that I do a lot, which is I buy buy stuff like that, and then I blame it on the person I'm with and I go, I guess they're hungry today, But yeah, you're right. Why didn't I just act like kind of like snobby and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, like worn like a hat and sung rises and yeah, that could have been really fun.
Speaker 3: I've always wanted to.
Speaker 5: That's my fantasy, is to like wear the like celeb trying not to be seen as a celeb outfit with a hat and sunglasses and being like hand out, like don't look at me.
Speaker 1: Well, this is something that I've been doing for years, not because of that, but because this is this has been a real thing for me, speaking of how you present yourself, Like I am crazy about the sun like some protection, and so I for a years, since my twenties, I always wear like long sleeves and sunglasses and I'm completely covered up in the sun. And even when I was living in Chicago, people would be like, who do you think you are? Like nobody knows shit about you, Like why are you dressing in disguise? And I'd be like, I'm not. I'm dressing because I don't want to get any sun. And now I do it. And now that I've like been on TV, people think that I'm doing it because of that, and I'm like, no, that's not it. That's not why I'm doing it. I'm doing it because it's some protection.
Speaker 3: I will say. I yes, Sam and.
Speaker 4: I both clocked the hat you wore when you when we were recorded with you in La and I remember being like, she is so lay she is not. I was truly like you are being like, you know, Anne Hathaway in a paparazzi frotto or something like. It was such an LA girl hat. And it's such a like cause you know you're not. You weren't dressed super loudly. You're wearing like jeans and a teeth. So it was such a statement. It was like, Okay, she's minimalist, but there's a twist.
Speaker 1: It's so that is so funny because I always am like, I guess this hat looks kind of stupid, but I'm gonna wear it because I don't want to get sun.
Speaker 2: Vanessa, didn't you have an encounter with Jake Jillenhall or something when you're Okay.
Speaker 1: One time we were in line for brunch at that place I think it closed in New York called Toast or something, or it was called I.
Speaker 3: Know what you're talking about. It wasn't called Toast.
Speaker 1: It wasn't called Toast, it was it was always.
Speaker 4: Prune, Prune, Prue, oh, Prune, yeah, clothes right.
Speaker 1: I remember listening to a podcast about that closing.
Speaker 4: Well I closed I think during didn't they close it during the pandemic? And then she wrote like a big Times piece about like the difficulty of running a restaurant.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and I think I listened to her on a podcast. But anyways, waiting in line for Prune, and I spot Jake Jillenhall, who I guess. I don't know if he was. He was around SNL. I had met him maybe once at SNL maybe, but I don't even think he hosted, Like I think I literally just like met him there, like I like barely spent time with him. And then I don't know why, I was like, oh, it's Jake jill and Hall. He knows me. I've got to go say hi.
Speaker 3: So I went up to him at Prune.
Speaker 1: At Prune, he was in line for Prune as well, and he was with I don't know if it was like his manager. So he was with someone, and like I went up. I don't know why I decided this person is his manager. I have no reason to know that he was just but anyways, I go up to him and I go hey, and I'm wearing like it was. You know, at different parts of my life, I've had better or worse son protective gear. And I'm wearing like I think I'm wearing like a jean jacket and like a scarf and a hat. And it's like really hot. It's maybe like an eighty five eighty eight degree day. Okay, so I'm sweating. I look insane. I just look like a woman who has approached him on the street wearing a jean jacket and a scarf in eighty degree weather. And you know you never want that. So I go up to him and I'm like, hey, how are you? And he was like what and he was like and I was like Vanessa from SNL And he was like, why are you dressed like that? And I was like, oh, you know, I stay out of the sun. And he was like, okay, it was really it was really fair.
Speaker 4: Wait, I do think that's a real like on his end, I understand you're saying you came across here, but like, don't don't open with wire right right when you've already not recognized this person that clearly right, at least things.
Speaker 3: They've met you.
Speaker 1: I mean, he probably gets a lot of crazy women in jean jackets going up to him. But he might, I mean, to be fair, he might have said like, Hi, why are you dressed?
Speaker 4: Like maybe it was a form of intimacy. He was like, oh, of course, Vanessa, Like I don't I mean, yeah, why are you wearing that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe I thought you were doing like a bit or something right, right.
Speaker 1: Like she's funny on SNL. Maybe she tries to go around the world being funny in her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe she's filming a web series here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so funny that you remember that story? Jonah, Yeah, it was really you know, and I hope it didn't lead to the demise of Prune, but.
Speaker 3: It's definitely the beginning of the end. I think historians will mark that moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jake called and was like, you need to shut down this restaurant in case this happens.
Speaker 3: The people are being weird here and it's your fault.
Speaker 4: Quite frankly, a woman who looked lost harassed me at Prune.
Speaker 5: And if you don't shut down willingly, I will find a way to shut you down.
Speaker 1: I will find a way well, it sounds like we all express ourselves how you want, and then however people take it is how they will.
Speaker 3: So true, I'm always saying that, I've always said that.
Speaker 1: Thank you. We're going to get a quick commercial break, but we'll be right back with George and Sam. Well we're back, and wow, do we have a topic that's a wow? Today? We asked you both for some topics to talk about, and the one that we picked, which we thought was incredible, was eminem. Now, how is eminem significant to both of you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have to give some context.
Speaker 1: Okay, give some context.
Speaker 3: George is amazing at this.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, oh yes. If there's one thing I'm amazing at, it's given context. So we were asked to come up with a series with a list, a short list of topics that were meaningful to both of us in our teens and in our childhoods. And it's interesting because even though we're so similar in other ways, we actually do have very different references. So it was difficult to hone in on a few things. And I will say and candidly, this was the one that I was like, what about eminem? And Sam was like, well, I knew the singles but he wasn't huge tread but let's put him down.
Speaker 3: So it was okay, okay, So it was it was.
Speaker 4: My suggestion, But then I was because I was not a super fan either. But there's something about I feel like I'm the exact Asi where Eminem was like one of the truly biggest just personalities and celebrities of any kind and was so formative and also was formative almost as a comedy performer, as a comedic performer as well, because he would always do like one, you know, he would have an you outman. It would be like one single that was like fully a comedy weird al song with like a video with Kathy Griffin, and then one song that's about how he like likes to commit violence against women, and so it was just like yeah, and there was something like fully comedy video about those music videos. And I actually think that was like literally a comedic influence, Like it was like a sketch. It was a sketch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I feel like he did do a lot of kind of comedy stuff. I didn't really think about that because I was always so like what's going on? Like I was in a little and Sam, what was your you know, the singles.
Speaker 5: I know the singles, and it did speak to me, like, I mean, like the singles, I think, I like, I memorize the words I do think randomly like his like angrier stuff. Also, I like, I was like, damn, Like it was sort of like when I didn't have music tastes. But I was like, oh, well, this is darkness, and I was like that's cool. And so I would like learn all the lyrics like skeletons in my closet or whatever and be like hell yes, and like and like think like I'm not with my parents anymore, like I'm being fucking crazy.
Speaker 3: And so he did.
Speaker 5: Like the thing about his like fashion, like his vibe never spoke to me and in fact very much confused me. But the songs were hits, and like I wanted to know all of the words to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they're like debates around race and eminem were in a weird way, like some of the first times I had thought about racial difference.
Speaker 3: Wow, not the first times.
Speaker 4: I mean that's a little exaggerated, but like this idea there was something. It was there was something about like he is the first big white rapper and that is good and we should celebrate him and like no and no looking past that, Like it was just like I can't believe he, as a white person, was able to thrive in this community that is majority black, period like, and it was just like, and that is a cost for celebration and therefore he should like take up more space. And there was sort of no or at least that's the vibe I got when I was like eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. The Slim Shady song was sort of like the first one that I remember being a really big hit. And then when I was at I remember when I was a counselor at Overnight Camp. It was he was really big, and this other counselor would drive when we would have our days off. He would like drive me back to like Cleveland and would listen to like the entire Eminem album and it was so scary and so dark, and there was like so much violence on it, like the Interstitial stuff too, there was like a lot of like and I remember just being like, this is like watching a horror movie, which I hate, but listening to it and it was so scary, and I always remember just being like, why does this guy always want to listen to Eminem? When we drive home and then cut to like, However many years later and I'm on SNL and Eminem's a musical guest, and I was the most starstruck I've ever maybe ever been on that show. I don't know why. Like I again, I was not a fan of his music when I was younger, but I was like, oh my god. And then at one point, I'm getting off the stage after the Good Nights and he like stepped off before me, and he was like, you need a hand, sweetheart, and he gave me his hand, and I like took his hand and walked off the stage, and I was like, I think I'm floating, Like I just couldn't have been more. And I don't know if it's because he, like you said, George, like he was such a huge deal when I was if you never gets.
Speaker 4: That he it was like number one, Like I distinctly remember watching a trol.
Speaker 3: It was like around when eight mile.
Speaker 4: Came out and it was like, I mean, who knows what the details are, but they said something like this is the most amount of people like ever in Times Square for tr Like it was just something where it's like he is, like I don't know, he was our you know Madonna or like our like y Mick Jagger or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeahthing about the look, like the fact that he's had like the same look forever. It's like he's become almost like a cartoon character.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like it would be like truly like seeing Homer Simpson in real life and being like, wait, I didn't know that you were real like seeing himinem, I could just I could feel how that would be, like whoaa, whoa, I'm dealing with like a fantasy you only live in a TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, don't you think his resting face is kind of sad?
Speaker 5: Yeah, leaning towards angry, I would say violent. I would say violent. I would say almost over the top violent. There's like a comedic element to how violent looked.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was doing some research and you know, you know. So he performed Stan with Elton John at the two thousand and one Grammys, which was I think was like a really big kind of moment in his career because, like you know, he had had a lot of criticism for his lyrical content and Elton John sort of like coming out and performing with him was really interesting because it reminded me in ninety two, Elton John played November Rain at the Video Music Awards with Guns N' Roses and AXL. Rose is kind of another kind of divisive figure for things he've said. So it's like interesting that he kind of came out kind of in a way supported both of these acts, especially eminem at that point I think was really really controversial.
Speaker 4: Yes, so like the fact that he was, on the one hand, so controversial and his lyrics were so violent, and on the other hand he was pretty quickly embraced by the mainstream and would be like, you know, he had the like eight mile one an oscar, and like that was always so fascinating to me. I mean, in retrospect, I imagined a big part of it was in fact that I'm sure his white privilege played a big part in someone else, like a black rapper, having those lyrics and that content. Like I don't know if the movie would then have you know, won an oscar. But yeah, wait, I also want to say sorry to change a couple of things. One is and we can pick this back up later, but I personally was also attracted to him. I don't think he was a heart throb, but he would like pose a lot shirtless or pose and like really like just like there was like a photo shoo where he's holding like a stick of dynamite where his dick would be and that, and that's like the joke like he would do things like that without knowing, like not trying to be sexy, but was like half naked or whatever.
Speaker 3: Well that's classic early two thousand exactly. And it goes back to the comedy thing like that.
Speaker 4: He was sort of like Jackass mad TV, like sketch comedy coded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so interesting because until we were at SNL, I was never really attracted to him because I think I was so basic in that way that I was like, he's not giving heartthrop so I'm not getting it, you know what I mean, Like he's not trying to be He probably was like attractive and stuff, but I just I was just like, he's not doing it on purpose, so I don't see it. Kind of a thing. I don't know anyways, What were you going to say next? What are you going to say next?
Speaker 4: Well, the only other thing which I think is sort of interesting is for someone who was such a staple of the like let's say late nineties through mid two thousands, he hasn't been like nostalgified in this way that like other ninety two thousand moments have, which I find kind of fascinating because so much of what he did resulted in like quote unquote iconic pop culture moments that like a BuzzFeed would pick up or something. Yes, but you simply don't. You don't see him on like nostalgia instagrams. You don't see like people don't and talk about like one iconic performance of his is like you know whatever about their.
Speaker 3: Saying there's something sort of fascinating about.
Speaker 4: I mean, the closest I think I personally come to is like I think it's funny that Kathy Griffin was in the Real Slim Shady video and I you know, it's like she loves that and she posts about that, and you know that's sort of fun. But like, there are so many moments that could be like memed to Death and they.
Speaker 3: Sort of just aren't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there's like an it would almost be like acknowledging your own immaturity to be like I loved this, because it's like it clearly was like like a childish sort of enjoyment, Like yeah, you wouldn't like put on like the vinyl of slim shade. I mean maybe someone would, but not not in my experience.
Speaker 3: Would you want to do that?
Speaker 5: And so it would be like, yeah, you could acknowledge that you were obsessed with this in middle school, but it's like but, but it's kind of a shame thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel Yeah, it's definitely more cool to be like I loved outcast, you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: For sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, has he done any thing to your knowledge where he's like made fun of himself as an adult.
Speaker 4: It's complicated because he like has a sense of humor to the extent that he produced these like super comedic music videos, right, and yet also at the same time is so humorless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right, right.
Speaker 2: I bet if you were hanging out with him and you're like having a good time and then you kind of made some kind of joke about him, the mood would kind of change.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Well, I wanted to do. There was when I sorry to keep talking about when I was on SNL, but there was this sketch that I pitched with one of the hosts where it was my first season and I was like I was supposed to come into like Jeff Bridges dressing room and be like Hey, like, are you having fun? It's a really great show, and then hey, like, don't step on my lines, like or you're gonna regret it, like just like me getting really serious and scary. And so I wanted to do that with Eminem when he was a musical guest. I thought that would be really fun funny, not that exact thing, because it would be because but like just something where I would just sort of like come in and and I guess I just told you that. He never even got the idea because it was just like, no, Eminem's not doing any sketches, like he's not. And I was like, well, what if I did this thing with him where like I'm kind of scary too Eminem like, isn't that funny? That's like a funny swap, And the producers were just like, he's not. He's not doing any sketches, and I think he's I should know this. I think he's maybe appeared in stuff before, but I don't know. Like to me, it was like I was like, the funniest thing in the world would be me being mean to Eminem, Like can you even imagine?
Speaker 4: I mean, it would be and the comedy it's like, you know, if you grasp a little bit, like I immediately.
Speaker 3: Grasp what's funny about that? And if Eminem had some self awareness, he would immediately get right right.
Speaker 1: But I don't even think he got the idea ever, because it was just like he is not up for he's not doing sketches.
Speaker 2: Remember we went to that movie, that Andy Sandberg movie where like Vanilla Ice was in it. It's like, I think an Adam Sandler. I think it's called That's My Boy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And vanilla Ice was in it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Eminem never really got to that point where like vanilla Ice was kind of became this kind of funny part of nostalgia where he could kind of pay fun at himself like that that never happened, which I think is what George is saying.
Speaker 4: Yes, and Eminem also famously maybe I'm misremembering this, but he famously like didn't he fight triumph the insult comic dog like because he didn't get the humor?
Speaker 3: Right? Wait, was that real?
Speaker 4: He definitely did, But I what, I don't want to I don't want to misspeak. Maybe he did it as a joke, And now I'm like, right, what I know?
Speaker 1: And I feel like half of our listeners are gonna be like, he's done so much stuff making fun of himself. You guys are so stupid. I don't remember any of it.
Speaker 4: Obviously he has, Yeah, he has done stuff that is funny. But I do think he also really takes himself seriously. I also think even like I mean something I think about off it is like his fight with Mariah Carey where he was so just like serious about being in a fight with her and she actually did responded in a humorous way where she like played him.
Speaker 3: Do you know about this? But no?
Speaker 4: What had a music video called Obsessed where she the lyrics like why are you so obsessed with me? And then she plays Eminem in drag. It's like her dressed as Eminem. It's very funny, Like it's like exactly how you want to respond to a feud by sort of like making.
Speaker 1: What was the original feud?
Speaker 3: I could not tell you.
Speaker 4: Now your listeners are truly like yelling, look, we're.
Speaker 1: Not an Eminem research podcast. Okay, we're talking.
Speaker 5: Although I looked up the Triumph the Insult comic and I think he did get mad at the puppet.
Speaker 3: It's I found something well, he like pushed it a tear.
Speaker 4: He like, yeah, yeah, Robert's Michael, my former boss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he's not down to be made fun of. Yeah yeah, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Well, are you too aware of Eminem's latest business endeavor?
Speaker 3: Is it.
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 3: No? I mean he's probably doing that too.
Speaker 2: But he opened a pasta restaurant in Detroit I believe in twenty twenty one called Mom Spaghetti. Oh spi his palms are sweaty knees, week arms or however.
Speaker 4: There's vomit on a sweater already Mom's yeah, so free from lose yourself. It's a partnership between him and a local restaurant group. I guess he's made some appearances, like he there's a walk up window and I guess he was like working the window when it opened.
Speaker 3: And they sell like Mom Spaghetti. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They have like sort of a limited menu, but it seems like it's successful. They have mostly spaghetti spaghetti sandwiches. Yeah, and they have spaghetti with meatballs or vegan rabbit balls.
Speaker 4: They call them, oh every because his name was rabbit.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, for I love that he named the restaurant after the thing he threw up in the song.
Speaker 4: I was about to say like talk about like literally, what it's referencing is the contents of his vomit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's but it's like he did.
Speaker 3: From myself.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a question, is so eight Mile is autobiographical?
Speaker 3: He wrote, Yes, he laid himself and his Maybe I'm right.
Speaker 1: I think he wrote he got his big moment from winning.
Speaker 3: Like a rap battle, rap battle. Yeah, okay, he did not write it. Okay, okay, good, that actually makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: And then he got signed by Scott Okay, our producer O Livia is telling U Scott Silver wrote it. Scott Silver, who we know from?
Speaker 3: He also wrote the Fighter Wow, whoa, Oh my god? Okay, get ready for this? Are you ready?
Speaker 4: He wrote Joker Say No More makes the Joker with Phoenix.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Scott Silver is cranking out Master He's also writing.
Speaker 4: He also wrote Joke, the new one with Gaga that's coming out Joker fully.
Speaker 1: I wow, Oh my god. I love that Scott Silver has such an enduring career.
Speaker 4: Me too.
Speaker 3: I mean the eight Mile really is a Joker style narrative. Yeah right right. Oh.
Speaker 1: Also, Eminem was the first rapper to win an Academy Award for his song.
Speaker 4: Yeah and I remember he like accepted the award. He was writing like I want to say, like a sports jersey and a blazer, Like he was adamantly not dressed for a black tie event.
Speaker 1: He was Eminem to the core. Yes, not going to get dressed up.
Speaker 2: If you were on the Eminem kind of level as far as like financial ability that kind of stuff, and someone came to you was like, do you want to open the spaghetti restaurant? Do you think you would be into it or do you think you'd be Like, I'm probably just gonna go to like my beach house and like not think about work, because I feel like I would be more the It depends.
Speaker 3: I think it depends.
Speaker 5: I think I would obviously lean more towards beach house. But if someone if the person coming to me was like my cousin, then I'd be like, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: There's also something about I mean it's in Detroit, which is his hometown, and I could see myself like if I got so successful and then like went back like wanting to give back to my local community.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, this article that I found, I think in the Detroit Free Press did say he mom Sucghetti was at several Eminem performances, and then they delivered food to frontline workers and COVID vaccinaers and Detroit during COVID So I think he is trying to kind of give back to Detroit, you know.
Speaker 1: So that is really good, I think, Jonah, when we're at that level, we should open yeah, okay, yeah, we should open like a place called like the first Todd's Lounge. Because our dad, we talk about this all the time. Our dad thinks he's the first person to be named Todd. I don't know if you know this, Isa Georgian.
Speaker 3: He does this legitimately, he thinks.
Speaker 1: So yeah, And I feel bad for our listeners because they've heard us talk about this so much. But he I mean, I don't feel bad for them because it's absolutely iconic. Buddy. He thinks he's the first person ever to be named Todd, like it was a last name before he and Jonah, we don't have to call our restaurant that, by the way, we can name it after ourselves.
Speaker 3: Sure, we can probably figure out. The name is probably the last thing we need to really worry.
Speaker 1: What are we? What are we? What are we?
Speaker 3: What's our signash? What's our signature?
Speaker 1: Dish.
Speaker 3: Is there something we ate growing up?
Speaker 1: Maybe mom zucchini bread. Our mom makes really good zucchini bread, bread, breads by Bears, Bears Breads, Breads sell zucchini bread, and that's it.
Speaker 2: There's kind of this gluten free thing. It's pretty popula. I'm not sure the bread thing is really.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's maybe we could make a gluten free Beyar's bread, and then the Todd.
Speaker 3: Gluten free one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Actually our mom doesn't eat a lot of gluten anymore, so it could be like Carolyn's gluten free.
Speaker 3: Todd is raised completely from the narrative, all of a sudden start out as to lounge. He has been demoted to Carolyn washing dishes in the back Todd's corner. It's like a little corner.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, And maybe the regular zucchini bread is Todd time and then right, but do you want to name them more for what they are?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: I don't think zucchini breads really has is hitten like oat milk or something. It's not really like a trendy thing.
Speaker 4: It might be, it could be. I think it has the potential to be. I think it has a potential. You do, Ok, we're real on the pulse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also, you know, things come and go. People might be really pro gluten in a few years. And also sure, I feel like Clevelanders love gluten. That's that's when I go to Cleveland, I'm eating bread left and right. I can't get enough. Okay, Thanksgiving, Okay, we.
Speaker 5: Got the comedy club in Cleveland. You're like, where are my gluten heads at? And everyone's going fuck wild, throwing stuff back because they're so happy.
Speaker 3: It's like dice in there.
Speaker 1: I did do a stand up show once at a club in Cleveland, and wow, it was all my teachers. It was so fun. Oh wow, my teachers came.
Speaker 3: That's a nightmare for me.
Speaker 5: If a teacher ever saw me perform, I'd be like like, I'd be like, okay, I'm first of all, i've never had sex.
Speaker 3: Second of all, so let's get that out of the way. That's covered. What else? What else? What else? I love? Yeah, I've never disretected the flag, that's for damn sure.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. I would say my stand up at that time, and I haven't done it in a while, but I would say it's pretty opposite of eminem. So I think I felt confident that they you know, it's pretty inoffensive kind of stuff, which believe it or not, because I know everyone knows that I'm I like to live on the edge and get.
Speaker 3: Edgy edge lord. Whereas when Sam and I perform, we're very eminem.
Speaker 1: Right, people say you're the Eminem's of comedy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of flipped. Instead of being like it's fun that they sometimes do comedy, it's like it's fun that they like get super violent for no reason sometimes totally right.
Speaker 1: Exactly, that's exactly. Uh, that's exactly what it is. Anyone have anything else to add about Eminem now that we know that he's king of Pasta.
Speaker 5: I had one more thing, actually, yes, face, which was the I remember. There's something too about Eminem where I was like young enough when he was popular that it kind of was alienating where I was like do I understand culture? Like the fashion, the tone, like his vibe and everyone loving it. There was an element of like I was like, I guess I just don't know people like I think it'll take me a long time to figure out what is going on, And there was something I felt very othered with Eminem being super popular, and I was like I get like the the songs are catchy, I'm in, but it was like, but his vibe is so not my vibe.
Speaker 3: This is so confused.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I also think because I'm sure Sam and I both although Sam was more I think Sam you were more open to like indie rock and stuff. But especially when I was like a kid kid, I was really like spice Girls and saying and so for me, Eminem was such an exception because I did not I was not like aware of a lot of other music like that before. I like then was you know, in middle school. In high school, I got into rap and hip hop, but like Eminem was in a weird way. I mean, this is humiliating to admit, probably like my introduction.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, I feel like I was a little older and I was so into like punk and hardcore and indie like underground music. Like to me, Eminem was kind of the same as like any pop music. It was in that same world. So I think it was a crossover. Yeah, I think it makes sense that then.
Speaker 4: I yeah, that it was like a way in the only thing I other thing I wanted to say, which is I find it very sort of sweet and charming that his daughter Hayley, who's mentioned all of his songs, is now just like an Instagram cheek who's like just like has three million Instagram followers and is posting like she's at a football game, she's with her fiance, like she's doing spaon con for a beauty brand. It just is so polar opposite from how we knew her as a child.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. And also I wonder what it was like for her fiance to meet Eminem and be like.
Speaker 3: What do you think Vanessa? That conversation was like.
Speaker 1: You heard me going there? Like he is probably like, all right, what's your name? That's Eminem, what's your name? And he's like Tom, and he's like he's like, and you dated my your date my daughter Helen. Isn't that exactly how we talked? And he's like, yeah, I want to take her out on a date. And he's like, all right, but if you come home late, you're going to be in trouble.
Speaker 5: Incredible, you're gonna meet Marshall lifts up one fist, Math is the other fist.
Speaker 4: That's right, Well, I think it's if you do yeah, if you do his actual accent, you would sound offensive.
Speaker 3: Doing it because.
Speaker 2: It is in fact, actually, well we got it. You know Taren does you who I know is a guest and listening.
Speaker 1: To podcast, Karen does such a good impression of him, such an incredible angry Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just want to say sorry. I'm on Haley's Instagram still. Her podcast is called Just the Little Shady, which is so iconic. To take slim shady this like, you know, whatever alter ego of this violent rapper and make it into like an Instagram friendly you know, throwing shade.
Speaker 5: That is genius talk about. I mean, is a voice of a generation that is so small.
Speaker 3: Agree, you guys need to I.
Speaker 1: Know, I'm obsessed with Haley. I'm like, do we need to just like cut everything negative, anything even slightly negative? We said about I'm an m out of here so we can get Haley on here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, first of all positive, it was all good vibes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I think she'd.
Speaker 3: Still do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We've got to get Haley on here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: She sounds like such a fun, girly pop.
Speaker 5: I mean the way that if she could just tag me in a photo, my whole life would change.
Speaker 2: So I'm just looking at this podcast, and this is a subject one is called recently called Britt got in a Fight with a Karen and it says getting into BRIT's real life shady story of her Karen encounter over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: So she's just like I mean, she's like a rich La girl who loves fashion and podcasting.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: She sounds like she should be my best friend.
Speaker 4: A lot of her photos are very like, you know, like Christian girl Autumn. It's very like. She has a lot of photos where she's like, I mean, I'm there's this one where she's Christmas tree shopping and sort of a tan jacket.
Speaker 2: Is there a lot of stuff with her and eminem or no not angle photograph?
Speaker 3: Interesting?
Speaker 4: Oh wow, I think they have a good relationship. I mean they I don't think they. I think I don't think she would name her podcast a little bit shady if she didn't love her.
Speaker 1: Father, right right, right right, totally. It's interesting there. Fall girls and Halloween Girls are different. Introducing my fiance.
Speaker 3: Oh, she did an activation at Lollapalooza. Huge.
Speaker 4: Wow, she has a line of sweatpants. Oh my god, I of entrepreneurs.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: She's doing great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's probably the brains behind mom Spaghetti now that I think about it, literally, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, Like we're we're all going, oh, I'm in a mom spaghetti. It's probably Haley was just like, dad, come up, You've got to be an entrepreneur these days. Like you can't just like be someone who used to wrap, like you have to have businesses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is my wife. And I watched Shark Tank a lot, and it's like all the time. There's like these kids are like fourteen, Like I've been watching Shark Tank my whole life. I'm in like my entrepreneur club, and I'm like, yeah, okay, like maybe try being a kid, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: We needs to tell that to Haley.
Speaker 1: Haley, Chill, chill girl. But we're also proud of you.
Speaker 4: I love that her Instagram bio is welcome to my unpredictable i G life.
Speaker 3: And then it's like the most predictable on Earth.
Speaker 5: I love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like I sort of am wearing jeans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I guess we need to be careful what we say about Haley because we know who her dad is.
Speaker 5: Us.
Speaker 1: Yeah he will, but we love Haley, and that's all anyone else anything else about Eminem or should we maybe we'll go to a quick commercial break and be right back with George and Sam and we're back. Did I chill everyone by saying don't make fun of me, will come after you.
Speaker 4: No? I mostly just horrified that I made the statement that Eminem got me into wrap. I'm like I did no other appers.
Speaker 3: No, you didn't know. He didn't.
Speaker 4: He was just like the biggest one in mainstream culture, Like I knew who other people were.
Speaker 1: He, like you said, he was a real like go between. Because it was like felt like.
Speaker 3: Pot, Okay, what just happened, just happened?
Speaker 1: Okay, why did that happen?
Speaker 3: We need to describ We to describe what just happened.
Speaker 4: So in Vanessa's zoom window, like a graphic of balloons rising happened as like similar to how when you say congratulations over text, there's like a bunch of balloons out of.
Speaker 3: Nowhere and only on her window. And while she was trying to make.
Speaker 1: A point, the point that I was trying to make, why are balloons rising? That actually is scary to me?
Speaker 3: Is it your birthday or something? Maybe someone say congratulations quietly or.
Speaker 1: Something, Oh congratulations, did that do it.
Speaker 3: No, no, happy birthday.
Speaker 1: Let's yeah, will you look up why that happened?
Speaker 3: We need answers now more than ever. Haley hacked the main frame.
Speaker 4: Main frame was wait about and was like, thank you guys for promoting my page.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's balloons. That's a bitch. You know she is into doing things that are unpredictable and that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she actually got offended that we said she was predictable, and she was like, I'll show you predictable, bitch.
Speaker 3: You'll never see this coming.
Speaker 1: Well, what I was trying to say before I was interrupted by balloons or maybe supported by balloons, was that Eminem was like where pop met rap. So it makes sense that, like, even though you were already listening to other rappers and stuff, this really kind of like made that segue in a way.
Speaker 4: It was definitely like Eminem on one hand. And then of course like featured rappers. If it's like Mariah carreyam bust rhymes, it's like a featured rapper on a pop track or like an R and B track, and I'd be like, oh love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, who Lauren Hill was first? And then I like understood who the fujis were, Like.
Speaker 1: Or like when I went to bar and Bot Minces, every year, three or four of the popular boys would do a dance to Regulators by Nate Togg and Warren g And they had like a choreographed dance that they would do every time it came on, and everyone thought they were cool from poreographing a dance that.
Speaker 3: Is a scary.
Speaker 5: I'm like, why did every middle schooler across the globe need to know every lyric to Regulators?
Speaker 3: What happened that made that true?
Speaker 2: I don't know, And that stuff sticks with you as an adult, Like yeah, songs from that era.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I still know every I can't find my keys to go to work, but I can know every one of these lyrics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say, lose yourself. I mean it's a little later, but lose yourself from many people. I think myself included is like that where the lyrics come out like flow out of you if.
Speaker 3: If it comes on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I assume everybody else here has the Wrap from water Falls memorized.
Speaker 3: Of course, Well that one I don't. Actually, I have to admit I have to be honest with myself.
Speaker 4: TLC is. I mean, I would say this was almost too obvious of a thing. But one thing I was when we were brainstorming, I was like the No Scrubs video, which I talk about something that has been like memed to death, but like I just I truly remember where I was when I first saw it, and I was like, well, my life is different.
Speaker 1: Now I'm going I gotta go get some silk pajamas asap. And I don't like, yeah, okay, well sorry, I just need to take a second to meditate on that. And now we're going to play a very fun game called Yes Nostalgia, where we bring up nostalgic products, shows, et cetera that are making a comeback, and if you're into them, you can give them a ystalgia yahstaalja, and if you're not into them, you can give them a nostalgia no no.
Speaker 3: No no no no no no no Stalers. Yeah. I love it.
Speaker 2: And I can kick this one off because this one is. This one's kind of urgent because it's happening right now. So so in case people don't know, The Never Ending Postible currently has returned to Olive Garden. It's running from September twenty fifth through November nineteenth and of course Olive Garden E Club members have early access, which I'm sure we all are, but yeah, it says with up to eighty total possible pasta combinations, guts can enjoy unlimited servings of their favorite pasta, plus homemade super salad and of course the breadsticks and some of the pastas. There you got fetiscini, spaghetti, rigatoni made from scratch, creamy mushroom sauce, meatballs, and so it starts at thirteen ninety nine with options to add other stuff for five bucks and you have to sign up for the Olive Garden E Club by well, you had to do that long time ago to get this. So yeah, So what do you guys think of the return of that never ending possible?
Speaker 5: I'm a hard nostalgia to that one. Okay, it makes me feel like there's still magic in the world. I mean, it's the promise of never ending has always really spoken to me, similar as like a you know, a lifetime supply. It's sort of like, che does that mean like you can't quantify never ending? I think it's also you know, in this time of corporate greed, you know, it's so nice to see a corporation really giving back. It's essentially socialists, and they are in charge of the DSA.
Speaker 4: Yes, and and Bernie is the new CEO of Olive Garden. I think i'm, you know, just to sort of play Devil's advocate. I am gonna have to go nostalgiaza. I struggle with a never ending I'm not saying this in terms of like, oh, I'm such a pig. It's not about like quantity of food. But I struggle with the buffet. I struggle with like Unlimited.
Speaker 1: And Sam's Vanessa just because I'm like, you're the professional.
Speaker 4: You bring me what you think a human being should eat, and I will gladly finish it. I'm not gonna not finish it like I but I can't. I'm not gonna make my own sides. I should not have any power. I don't even want the dressing on the side. I want the food professionals to do their job, and then I, as a consumer, will pay the money and I'll pay extra. I will literally pay more than the Unlimited bowl to get a bowl that is expertly made.
Speaker 3: Wow in my area.
Speaker 2: So George, where do you stand on self checkout? Are you into it or against it.
Speaker 3: Great question.
Speaker 4: Okay, here's what I'll say. I'm only into it. Well, first of all, I'm against it because it is replacing cumans with machines. So on a political level, I'm against it everywhere. Okay, Now, on a selfish level, I am for it only at Unichlow where they have the bins where you put your clothes.
Speaker 3: Have you seen this? Now, this is the craziest thing I've ever seen. You don't have to do anything.
Speaker 4: You literally just put all your clothes in a bin and then it through like lasers, like a million different lasers, just tells you how much it just knows.
Speaker 3: You just don't.
Speaker 4: You don't have to go one by one, you literally just put everything in. It just knows instantly. I've never experienced anything like it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: And that's the only time in my life that I have felt like self checkout is quote unquote more convenient for a customer than nonsense.
Speaker 1: But you know how when you check out a clothing store, they usually fold stuff a little bit when they put it in the bag. No, that's a good point, sure, because I thought you were going to say the layersers like fold it.
Speaker 4: No, that's a good point. I do find that when I'm shopping at Uniclo, I sort of don't need things to be folded.
Speaker 1: I hear you, I hear you. Yeah, Now, Jonah, where do you fall on this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're correct.
Speaker 2: I don't like really buffets, especially crowded buffets. It gives me kind of makes me feel anxious. I don't I'm sure with like the lighting. And I also say, it's thirteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: This isn't a buffet, by the way, I just want to be.
Speaker 2: Ka sort of oh yeah, okay, yeah, okay, fair enough, I associate with buffets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I'm kind of the same way.
Speaker 2: I feel like then I feel like I have this pressure to eat as much as possible to get my money's worth. Then I feel sick. And I also, this is a thirteen ninety nine. Let me tell you something, you guys, go that Olive Garden times Square. This thing is probably seventy five dollars.
Speaker 1: It is more expensive. The one in Times Square is more expenses.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like it puts a lot of I put a lot of pressure on myself and that makes it less enjoyable for me.
Speaker 1: Vanessa, what about you, well, as I said, I'm a Sam, You're a George, and I'm absolutely for this. I remember doing the never ending possible. When I was in high school, we would carbo load before our cross country races, and I remember going, I did you run cross country?
Speaker 5: I was a cross country girl. Oh my god, you guys are twins. I was obsessed with it. I wish it could have been my job.
Speaker 1: But I bet you were good at it. I was very bad at it.
Speaker 3: I was very for a little but then I moved to a bad school and had a bad coach and I got bat of it.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. Well, okay, so I will just say that I always would go to those carbo loading sessions and I'd be like, I wish we didn't have to do the race, Like I wish that cross country team was all about going to eat the never ending possible and not having to do the race, and that would be the perfect athletic team for me. Yeah. I love unlimited pasta and I just wanted it's so fun, it's so exciting to get as many breadsticks. Also, if you're choosing the soup over the salad, I truly do think there's something wrong with you because the salad is so good. It's like a Caesar, It's like a It's got like a lot of dressing and cheese. Like, it's just like a fun salad. If you're getting the soup, it's probably like salty and sucks like you're insane. But that aside, I just want to say, like Jonah and George, like you don't have to ruin it for everybody else.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I'm just saying like, okay.
Speaker 5: But you started a campaign to get them to shut it down, and I find there's so much that's true.
Speaker 3: This is wrong. It's it's ended November nineteenth.
Speaker 4: These are way so, I mean, damn, it's they can't So it's it's tough.
Speaker 1: But maybe they maybe they'll bring it back again next year. And you guys cannot get in the way. Okay, I'll read this next one just kidding. I know you're I know you have probably much better eating habits and much healthier.
Speaker 3: Okay, you'd be surprised.
Speaker 1: Go on. The next one is Ferbie is coming Back. Hasbro announces the Toys return. The furry toys from the late nineties are making a comeback, and they have a new look. They say, generations of kids have loved this adorably fuzzy, chatty and curious little creature, and now they can discover the all new one. The next generation of Ferbie is available now and it comes in two colors, purple and coral. It also features five voice activated modes and has over six hundred phrases, jokes and songs, and also much more to discover. The release states the Ferbie will listen to these five commands dance party, copycat, tell my Fortune, Let's chill, and light show.
Speaker 4: Damn, George, what you take this one? I'm a firm. I'm a firm nostalgia on this. I've never had I can't remember fact you had Furbi's, but I was definitely the right agehere. I remember the ads. To me, Ferbies are such a beautiful LGBTQ plus toy because they are neither male nor female. Like they're not like a doll for girls, but they're also not like a gun for boys. They are it's actually sort of a safe way for even boys to be mothers and girls to be freaks and you know, punks. So yes, I like the just the tactile nature of it, Like it's not an app, it's not something the kids are gonna do on their iPad. It's not even a yama.
Speaker 3: What are those called? Yes, it's like that.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't like the nostalgia with those because I'm like, those are still tech. This is a good old fashioned toy. I guess they can also do dance party and read your fortune and I guess they're AI. But I'm I am the yes styleja on this.
Speaker 5: I mean, I also have to say if you are if you think there's not gonna be an app that you can download on your iPad to control the ferbie, you're lying to yourself.
Speaker 3: There is one. Yeah, it could be a Megan situation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, George, that was a really beautiful argument, and I think I do mostly agree with you. Although ferbies do give me a little bit of trauma. I feel that there was such a I did not have them, and the people that did, I will say it was the kids that didn't have rules.
Speaker 3: And the kids that didn't have rules.
Speaker 5: Always scared me because their lives were so chaotic and they'd be like, do you want to play with want to see my ferbie? And I'd be like, I don't know, because there's no bedtime when's dinner?
Speaker 3: What the hell is going on?
Speaker 5: And so I'm I'm fearful of, you know, that new generation of ruless children.
Speaker 3: But hopefully these furbies, you know, have a schedule.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at this updated the photo of the new ones, and they are a little different than the old ones. Yeah, they do give like gen z euphoria.
Speaker 1: Yes, for sure. They're very like bright and.
Speaker 3: Sort of like a little raver. They've been to a rave.
Speaker 1: They're very raver looking exactly. That's the right word, Vanessa.
Speaker 3: What are your thoughts.
Speaker 1: I think I'm a little too old, Like I think I must have just missed ferbies when I was younger, so I don't have like a nostalgic connection to them. But for all the reasons that you said, George, I could see why it's great that they're back. Did they always talk and stuff? Is that their big thing?
Speaker 5: They like moved and like had like little I think they did have phrases and yeah, they're like eyes would opening clothes and stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I mean why not. I agree it sort of feels like a toy for every child, and so I'm into it. I feel a little worried about, like once it does get integrated with the app and everything, like what might it become? But for now I'm into it. What about you, Jonah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think some really good points here, you know, personally, and maybe this is just because I'm older, I feel like when they update these toys for like this generation, they always look kind of strange to me. Like I think they're like, this is a new Muppet Baby's, there's a new Strawberry Shortcake, and they're kind of like futuristic looking to me.
Speaker 3: It's like something unsettling about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't have a really a connection with the original Furby, and I think, yeah, I think I think that brings you off.
Speaker 3: The screen into the real world. It's great.
Speaker 5: Yes, I do you think the original Ferbie, you know, had a little more heft to it.
Speaker 3: It was a little chunkier, you know.
Speaker 5: This one's like trying to be so snatched, and it's like, you know, let let a Ferby be like a little chubby thing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 2: So our last one is McDonald's just bought back the Oreo Frappe Frappy Frappe.
Speaker 4: Hey, how you say that? It's got the accent. Okay, if it's got the accent, gonna go ahead and be a f orio.
Speaker 3: This is very, very fancy for McDonald's.
Speaker 2: So this article says, after eight years, the fan favorite McDonald's beverage is back on the menu, the Oreo f Repe. This delectable drink is a spin on the classic McDonald's Mocha frape, made from the Mocha frape, bass crushed ice, oreos and cream syrup with cream a plenty of Oreo pieces. It's sure to satisfy cookie and coffee lovers alike. And so there's a bunch of info about it, and I guess people have been ordering a copycat version where you can just get this mocha repe and add oreos to it.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 3: I guess it's called a hack.
Speaker 2: You can ask for oreos to be blended in which it's like I put like, imagine like the level of dignity you have to be, like, I'd like this order repe. Can Hey, you guys have got oreos, Can you guys blend some of those in there too? Now you don't have to go through that whole conversation. You could just order the Oreo f Repe. So that's nice. What do you guys think about this?
Speaker 1: I wasn't trying to interrupt Jonah, but I do want Jonah this big joke to get in here, which he kind of just made. But the article says if you miss on on it. For some reason, fans have already offered up a McDonald's secret menu hack, order a moocha prepee, and ask for some oreos to be blended in. And then Jonah wrote in all caps, or perhaps get some dignity.
Speaker 2: I sometimes get insecure with my jokes because you know, everyone hears like a professional kind of comedian, and I'm.
Speaker 1: You're a professional comedian.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: But what are our thoughts on the orio repe is it's a nostalgia nostalgia?
Speaker 3: What are you thinking?
Speaker 5: Well, I guess for like the general, For me, it's a nostalgia, but I guess for the culture. I say, you know, to me, who the speaks to is like the high school girl who's, like you know, out with her friends and is wanting to pretend to be mature but is not mature. And I actually think that is a beautiful demographic to cater to. And you know, in ten years, of course she'll be drinking black coffee in Paris even But but right now she is in you know, a suburb of Cincinnati and she's getting her Oreo frappe and I think that's beautiful.
Speaker 3: So you're a noestalgia. I'm a nostalgia for the culture.
Speaker 5: It's it's sort of you know, a frape is to coffee, what you know what like eminem was to George's rap knowledge.
Speaker 3: It's a way in. Yes, and you know what.
Speaker 4: I actually I'm convinced by that because my instinct, so what see, here's my thought process. When you first said the name of this drink, I was all in because I was imaginingasically an Oreo mcflurry, which to me is such.
Speaker 3: A stunning drink.
Speaker 4: I love anything sort of cookies and cream slash Oreo flavored, do you sam No?
Speaker 3: I don't really either wow.
Speaker 4: Or even if you're more sophisticated, a stretch a Tella flavor, which is sort of like the Italian cookie clan, I don't know what mean every start Yeah, so you're gonna have to You're gonna want to look that up. So my instinct was like, okay, yes, I'm ready. Then I got to the coffee part. I was like, oh, see, I would never order it, so I was gonna be a nostalgia, but I was obviously being misogynist because Sam is very clearly stating that this is for teenage girls, the market that has been historically not taken seriously. And I think it's about time that they stepped into their light and took up space in this world. So I'm a firm nostalgia and I stand with all girls and women and young women that are ordering the Oreo Frepe.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, what are your thoughts on this? I really excellent points here.
Speaker 1: You know, I agree. I How could I go against it, which I feel like Jonah might, But how could I go against what Sam said of a girl being like, hey, guys, let's get coffees. Okay, we're gonna have. We're gonna have, We're gonna have seven Oreo frat pays. Oh my god. I love coffee. I'm like, I feel like I'm buzzing. I'm like drinking so much coffee and I feel like I'm buzzing. That's my impression of the girl. And I I'm sorry sometimes I'm I'm a real theater kid on here, and I.
Speaker 3: Really Eminem has already rejected that sketch idea.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to say no, oh no, okay, well guess what. I'm gonna pitch it to Haley all right, and I'm gonna pitch it.
Speaker 3: I love it. And we have a brand partnership with McDonald's.
Speaker 1: This is a nostalgia for me. I give it up for these girls and their oreo frat paze jonah, what about you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So what's funny is it? And this is from a website called Taste of Home. And at the end of this I just found this, It says writer's note. I tried to test the oreofrepe myself, but in an ironic twist of fate, my local McDonald's had been shut down by the Food and Health and Safety Department that morning.
Speaker 3: So iconic good sign. I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not for me. I take coffee pretty seriously. You know, I have an espresso set up here. I put a lot of work into me. Like, this is kind of like not something I would ever drink. It's probably so sweet, but yeah, I think maybe to get your foot in the door. But let's it's not really a coffee drink. Let's be honest. It sounds more like a milkshake. To me, but if it's if it's if it's an entry point, sure, not for me, but if this makes other people happy, you know, in moderation, right, we don't want to be drinking these things three or four a day, you know, we want to, you know, but once in a while as a treat or why not if that's if that's all okay.
Speaker 1: So we're split on the never ending possible. We are mostly Jonah, were you pro Ferby?
Speaker 3: You were sure? I think do you think we're a pro ferby?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're pro perby, we're Proferby. I don't and then we're we're actually shockingly to me because I didn't go in thinking this. We're pro oreo frape.
Speaker 4: Even though none of us want disgusting but it's not for us, that's right.
Speaker 2: I think it really speaks and I don't want to speak for everyone, but to our collective character that we can before something that isn't directly for us.
Speaker 4: But we proved the world we're very empathy and I think the geop could learn a lot from what we have today.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's absolutely right. Wow, Well on that important note, Sam and George, is there where can people find you?
Speaker 3: Great question?
Speaker 5: You can listen to our podcast Radio Lab wherever are downloaded and on Instagram.
Speaker 3: I'm at Sam Taggart and George Yeah, and I'm at George Severis believe it or not. Wow, it's so simple. It was almost I didn't believe you. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we post all upcoming shows there and you know, come see us live.
Speaker 3: We're hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, well, thank you so much for being here. And I was trying to think of a joke to make just now, of like I want a special parking space when I go to your show or something. It really it wasn't was. It was very la It wasn't really shaping up as a good joke, but.
Speaker 5: Maybe something of like you'll wear your best sun gear when you're at the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, full disguise, but really because of the sun, even though it'll be at night. Maybe So then what do I say? That was really fun? Jonah. Thanks so much to Sam and George for joining us, and to everyone for listening. If you enjoyed this, please subscribe to the podcast and keep it at it. For next week's episode of How Did We Get Weird, we will discuss more stories from our childhood and cultural touchstones. Like Eminem, thank you so much, you too, you thanks for having us.
Speaker 3: And thank you so much for having us. This was a real treat.