Speaker 1: You take somebody my age. Born in December of ninety eight, I'm twenty four. I was I think two years old when nine to eleven happened. I was going to middle school when the Great Recession happened. I was graduated in high school when the twenty sixteen presidential election happened. I graduated college in twenty twenty when the pandemic hit the capitol riots happened, and you had the Trump Byen election, and now it's twenty twenty three. Not a great sample size of democratic progress and growth.
Speaker 2: Like that's the leg fat That's a really fair comment when you look at.
Speaker 1: It from that lens. I don't think it's necessarily meant to excuse the skepticism and the critique, but I think it's meant to demonstrate that if all you know is a house on fire, then there's basically two options. One you either try to will up and put out the fire, which is what myself and my fellow young we doing, or you escape the house, which is frankly a very understandable notion.
Speaker 2: Welcome to an army of normal folks. I'm Bill Courtney. I'm a normal guy. I'm a husband, a father, an entrepreneur, and I've been a football coach an inner City Memphis, and the last part unintentionally led to an oscar for the film about our team. It's called Undefeated. I believe our country's problems will never be solved by a bunch of fancy people in nice suits talking big words that nobody understands on CNN and Fox, but rather an army of normal folks US, just you and me deciding Hey, I can help. That's what Mineu Meal, the voice we just heard, has done. Mineu wasn't planning to dedicate his life to preserving our democracy, but a riot broke out on his college campus and he accidentally became a unifying force for all sides. Today, he's trying to unify the country as the CEO of Bridge USA, whose chapters at fifty colleges and twenty four high schools create spaces for students of all stripes to openly and constructively discuss political issues, equipping the next generation with the skills to navigate conflict and find solutions across differences. Manu brings me hope that his generation can do this better than my generation has done. And I cannot wait for you to meet him right after these brief messages from our generals sponsors. Manu meal, no, Manu meal, Manu Manu, yes, sir? Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, that's right. The second one my new meal.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Memphis. I hope you enjoyed your sandwich when I was starving and you ate it in front of me.
Speaker 1: You know, I had to, I had to buy the sandwich specifically to show you off. But Dora is vegetarian and only at Alvocado in it, so I don't think it would have filled you up.
Speaker 2: Well, not only would you not filled me up. I hate avocados, so I would have spit it out.
Speaker 1: Good. Good. That's that's very anti California of you.
Speaker 2: I have nothing to do with California, so this is perfect, and it's it's very West Coast of you, sir.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I definitely. I feel like I flew in today and you and I were just talking about like carbon sequestration and trees, and you gave me a full lesson on it, and like I feel like if you mapped my carbon footprint, I would look like a freaking weird tech guy, you know, but I may For the record, I maybe like half the money maybe a.
Speaker 2: Third, maybe a third. Well, nonetheless, welcome to Memphis, Thanks for coming to be with us and hang out at the FedEx Forum. Yeah, are you going to be a Grizzly fan now?
Speaker 1: Definitely? Not?
Speaker 2: Definitely not.
Speaker 1: What are you The elevator is broken in the way up?
Speaker 2: Well it was, but.
Speaker 1: That's a bad sign.
Speaker 2: I have a secret. It wasn't broken. You weren't a fan something?
Speaker 1: They were like, I'm not in with John Moran.
Speaker 2: Well, what kind of fan are you? So?
Speaker 1: I'm a Boston Celtics fan. I used to be a Leaguers fan.
Speaker 2: Well, then you should be a little bit of a Grizzlies fan because Marcus Smart is now a Grizzly and that.
Speaker 1: Makes that makes that makes me less.
Speaker 2: He didn't leave on his own, accord, y'all traded him.
Speaker 1: Which is a bad call. It is a bad call. He had the heart, He had the heart and the soul, no kidding, he had guts. He felt like a normal person on the team.
Speaker 2: It will be lovely having him to beat the Celtics next time we play them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that true? At least at least, hey, at least we've got a championship or two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do have those. No, but we're coming.
Speaker 1: I really do appreciate being here, I think Memphis. I mean, you give me a history lesson too, on the on the zoom call that we had. But I'm somebody that loves history, loves places that have a lot of transformation, and I don't take the time for granted.
Speaker 2: There's a ton here. I wish you could stay a little longer. I love to show you around. Let's talk about you, though, because that's what we're here for. First, what'd you grow up? Tell me? Tell me about little Manu?
Speaker 1: I'm still little young also, yeah, I'll tell you right.
Speaker 2: How about five to fifteen year old Manu?
Speaker 1: Okay? Cool? Five to fifty. Actually the interesting stuff is one to five.
Speaker 2: Five. Yeah, I think it's all interesting, but one to five.
Speaker 1: So my parents moved from India. They were in a New Delhi, northern India. They moved to the United States in ninety seven. I was born in December of ninety eight in Central Archie. Yeah, yeah, December night. My colleague, my colleague, I'm very My colleague is a two thousand baby, a millennium baby, and so I can only imagine how young I must field ninety eight because when she says two thousand, I'm like, man, that's young.
Speaker 2: She's only two years.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, I'm I'm totally young, which is why when you were like telling me about Little Minu, I was like, that's presumptuous of me to be like, but I was. I was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey. Then my mom and my dad. My mom especially had a really hard time settling in She, you know, her entire family was there. She's very extroverted, she really cared about family, and she had a hard time stay in the United States, and so she actually went back with my dad and the thought about, you know, potentially staying in India. And I distinctly remember my mom telling me the story. It's something I'll always be grateful to her, fore Coach Bill, which is that she walked me past this like school where I would probably go to school, and it was there was like couch on the side, and it was in India, in India, in New Delhi. It was dirty, the doors were rusted, and she was like, there's no way this guy's going to grow up here. And so she basically bucked up and she and my dad flew back to the United states where my mom did all of her stuff to be a doctor. But the reason why that went to five years important is because I actually then lived with my grandparents in India for those five years on and off, and so I lived with my dad's side in New Delhi. I lived with my mom's side in a village close to a state called Haryana. And then I came back to the US after those five years and basically moved around every two years until what.
Speaker 2: Did your mother and father get their doctorate?
Speaker 1: So my mom became a doctor and my dad was a computer scientist. It's a classic Indian.
Speaker 2: I don't computer side to the doctor is the classic in family.
Speaker 1: It's a classic in duane family. And then look at me, look at what happened.
Speaker 2: To Well, we don't know that yet, so let's not go there. But so why were you going back and forth then? If because? And why were you moving every two years? Because clearly they were earning well, I mean they had their degrees in all right.
Speaker 1: So I mean I I certainly did not. We were not poor, but my dad's job was unstable for some time, so we would move because of that. Then my mom's job would change. I lived in New Jersey, lived in Staten Island, New York, came back to Jersey, moved around there twice, never spent again more than those two years, and then basically went to high school in Lexington, Massachusetts. And so you talk about money, what's interesting is every move that we made, we actually my parents started earning a little bit more money, a little bit more money.
Speaker 2: And they're chasing the American dream a little bit.
Speaker 1: They're chasing the American dream. They're chasing the American dream, and not just the American dream, but they're chasing I think just a I think they were just chasing a foundation for where their kids could just make the most of their sacrifice.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: I think that was it.
Speaker 2: That's a beautiful thing, that is the American dream, especially for immigrants what your parents are. Yeah, but you're an American, you were born here.
Speaker 1: I was born here. But what's fascinating is when I came back at the age of five, I like, was this like, first of all countries like India. And this is me saying it is somebody that's from India smelled different. I landed here and I just smelled like India. It's a very distinct smell. It's like when you come live in New York City or you live in Texas, you live you live in a village, you know, or you live in a farm you work on a farm as opposed to and I had like when when you're oftentimes in an area where there's a lot of dust, your hair gets all matted and it sticks together, and so I like, did not I think my first language was Hindi even though I was born here, And yeah, man, it was. It was fascinating to try and fit in. It was it was hard.
Speaker 2: Let's be real. Yeah, five years old trying to fit in is not fascinating. That is not the word a five year old would use about trying to fit in. And I'm interested in this because I think it's your main to what you're doing now. Actually, as I've thought a lot about your story, believe it or not, I have thought about a lot about a lot about it. Well, I mean, you're in this interesting place, that one you've grown up basically in India. You're an American, born in America, grown up in India. You even said your first language is probably actually Hindi. And you move every two years, and the moving every two years and your parents trying to get you the best opportunity in the world and they're chasing the American dream. And I get it, and that's beautiful. But I got to believe you had a hard time fitting coming up, and that even if you started develops some relationships and two years are gone again, what was that like?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's where the I hope as a five year old, I was using the word fascinating, because then I would be actually an odd kid. Then there's no chance of me fitting.
Speaker 2: A seven year old would say it would suck, not that it was.
Speaker 1: I'll tell me what the difference, though.
Speaker 2: In hindsight may be fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yes, it definitely sucked. I just my temperament is one where I just have a hard time. I just don't really try to associate negative emotions a lot of that type of stuff, because it really did make me who I am today. But that's only looking in hindsight. I'll tell you, you know, trying to fit in, trying to make friends, I mean, it did suck. I think I used to. I had almost a bully in every sort of stage. And this is something that I credit my parents a lot with. You know, my mom had that philosophy of if someone punches, you punch them back twice and make sure they'd never get up. And I had a real I mean, do I look like somebody that can touch back twice? Lets less be real? Do I look like a kid that can punch? I can punch back my words? But that's only now I was. I was like chubby, I was pudgy. I I did not have that capacity, and so really it did suck. And what sucked most about it, actually, Coach Bill, was that I feel like you oftentimes have this feeling of America, like in India, especially whenever I would go back after coming here. I distinctly remember I was like seven, ten thirteen people back home and say like, man, like you're in America, Like that's that's the dream, that's the place.
Speaker 2: Now was I think you were like fortunate lucky?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I mean you're you're basically you know, like you're the you know. And that did not mirror the reality of our life, which was that I lived in apartments my entire life until we got to like eighth grade. I grew up with my siblings in one apartment. Again, fitting in was one where like kids would pick on you if you take the this is so funny when you asked me how to pronounce my name. Part of the reason why I stopped really caring was because it became such a subject of like intrigue and making jokes that I was like, you know what, we got to figure out other ways to keep going. What's interesting now that I think about this is that it made me somebody that understood how to just create space for people to be idiots for a little bit so that you can better accept them, they can better accept you, and you can actually get somewhere. And the last thing I'll just say on this point is you learn how to adapt. And I think one of the things that I fear a lot about the work I do now, and I don't want to skip ahead, but like when people see this like young person that can be super charismatic and they talk and all of that, I know what that creates. I know the vibe that gives off. It's like, oh, this must be a trust fund baby, or this must be whatever whatever. And frankly, my life really helped give me the impetus to do the work that I do because I think there's a lot of kids out there. I mean, you worked with a lot of them in your past that are just trying to fit in and they're looking for space.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So.
Speaker 2: What you just said is the discovery that I was trying to reveal, is that the podcast that came out. I'm going to timestamp this, Alex, so no griping. He hates when I time stamp stuff, so he's going to have to just get that's producer stuff. Alex can just relax on this one. So today's podcasts So we Are podcast released every Tuesday. And the reason I really even started thinking about you again was this podcast. And it's about Stacy Horst and very shortly and if you guys listening now haven't listened to it, go listen to it. It's gripping. Her kid was autistic Asperger's level one and this child, at sixteen, because of being bullied and ostracized because she didn't fit because of her social limitations, she took her own life and at sixteen absolutely floors me when I think about what that family has done to honor the legacy of their daughter. But as I was thinking about you, obviously I'm not saying you were suicidal or anything, but what I am saying is for the son of an immigrant from India who goes back and forth and is living and growing up with basically two different cultures and moving every two years. I've got to believe that you saw some of the worst in what human beings can do and say and act towards one another. And I just want to know if that's true, and did that in some way compel you to have empathy or compel you to have what is that like?
Speaker 1: I think it forced me to find perspective because I think, and again this is sort of my mindset and temperament is I think oftentimes when you're experiencing hardship, and here's the fact, you know your heart, you might be experiencing hardship, I might be experiencing hardship. One of ours might be relatively more. And yet that doesn't take away from the fact that you and I both suffered hardship, right, So any hardship that anybody's ever suffering is real, and that's your hardship, and that's real trauma. That's real challenge. For me. I often feel like the best way for me to cope with that is to put my suffering and my challenges in context.
Speaker 2: There's put it in context. Put it in context, and you're telling me at thirteen you're learning this.
Speaker 1: No, No, this is something I learned after. I'm talking in hindsight. No, at thirteen, I was mad, mad, and but again my temper was not so much mad. It was just more subdued, quiet, with drawn, with drawn, insecure. I oftentimes ask, you know, people that knew me then, like I was never somebody that you pick out in a class and you're like, this kid's gonna do all right, or do something. They're average, middle, middle of the pack.
Speaker 2: That's very un Indian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm very Unindied in many ways, you know. I The only the most Indian thing about me is that I actually stay very close to my culture. So I love you know, my grandparents. They basically raised me for those first five six years. And my grandfather he passed, the one that really like was somebody that gave me a lot of values over time, and he really felt like another father figure. He passed away last year and I haven't been able to go back to India since. But I'm going to go in two to three weeks and finally go back to that home. Witnessed the and one of the things he would always say is he would say two things to me, and this is why I'm actually starting to think about this. He'd say two things. One is he said, you need to you need to think about God. And the second thing he would say to me is that you were great. And I say that with the context of all of the crappiness that we went through as a child, there are very few people that I felt like gave me the real motivation or sense of self at that point. I needed somebody to say that. And I used to make recordings of him saying that, because now that I reflect, it really gives me that sense of purpose to keep doing. So all of that to say that I'm very un Indian in some ways. In the Indian immigrant community, there's a term called ABCD American born confused. They see and by the way, shout out to my friends who gave me that. And then right after that, I whip out the Hydian man. They can't handle it. They can't handle it, like this guy's not that your grandfather.
Speaker 2: You say. Instilled values.
Speaker 1: Instilled values what valus? The first value that he instilled than me was be fearless, fearless, fearless, love he was. And again it's something that I actually if you ask me what is my weakness, my strength is the ability to empathize with people and try and care because I love people. To me, when you said, like you've seen the worst human need know you know? To me, I see, it's just ignorance. You know, everybody's got their issues. I've been I'm sure I've been an add to some people in my life not even knowing it. But the weakness for me that is I sometimes don't know when to push. I sometimes don't know when to be honest with what I think. And he was somebody that served in the military. That was his way of climbing the social ladder in India. Basically did two things in the sort of the societal stratification that my family was in, which is either be a farmer or you go in the military. So you went into the military. He fought three wars. He I remember. There is one story that he always used to tell me, which is I used to be scared of ghosts like most kids. And he's say, you say not that used to be my nickname for me. He say, you know, this morning I was in the shower and a ghost walked through the door and he he the ghost massaged my legs, he washed me. There's another ghost that came out. He drove my car with me. He basically said, all these ghosters butlers, And I was like, the ghost of your butlers. He's like, yeah, don't you know that the ghosts are going to mess with you until they realize that you can't be messed with and then the ghost here before you. And so the first thing he always told me was be fearless, and it's something I deeply appreciated. And the second thing was faith in God, something that he believed a lot in. I'm not that religious right now, but I'm back on the hunt. I'm back on the search. And the final thing that he would always say is work hard, not for anybody else, but just for yourself. And it I mean he was He had eight siblings, I think seven or eight siblings, and he basically was the engine for our family on my mom side to move up in society.
Speaker 2: He sounds like a phenomenal guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a good guy, and I.
Speaker 2: Can see the regard. You can see your face changes when you talk about him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I haven't actually ever talked about him. Publicly. But like, what I appreciate about the space you're doing is, you know, just create space for that honest conversation. And I know that most people have somebody like that in their life hopefully, and it's good. It's important to have people like that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: So where do you graduate? High school?
Speaker 1: Twenty sixteenth?
Speaker 2: Sir?
Speaker 1: Where twenty sixteen in Lexington, Massachusetts?
Speaker 2: Lexington, Massachusetts, which.
Speaker 1: Which by the way, is basically it's a public school, basically a private school, really comedy school. There's literally a hill in Lexington called Nobel Prize Hill where the Nobel Prize. There's seven Nobel Prize winners that live in Lexington. Good grief, it's freaking insane.
Speaker 2: Insane. Okay, So you say you're an average student, but you went to cal Berkeley, so you're full of crop because average students don't go to Berkeley. Yeah, so how does that work?
Speaker 1: Average is relative? I see?
Speaker 2: Now this is very Indian, but I have an Indian friend who would get a's and a's and a's and they'd have one a minus and their parents would ground them for an A. This is where the the the the world and the expectations are stressful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is something I benefit a lot from, which is that I had very little expectations for my parents. They did not imposed much on me. I didn't do all no and actually, if you pull up my transcripts, I had mostly bees throughout high school. Actually I was never that type of kid. When I say average, it's because and this is again a personal story, and this oftentimes sounds out of touch, but it depends on where you grow up and what you're doing, what community you're in. Lexington was basically a feeder school for Harvard and MIT. That's where everybody lives.
Speaker 2: And it's that type of everybody, you mean, like most of the kids, not.
Speaker 1: Most, but sixteen kids in every class wow, which which tells you the environment that it was. It's a pressure cooker. But for me, again, it's about perspective and context. I love competition. I love to compete. I love to be pushed, and so for me, it was it didn't feel like pressure. It just felt like you're not as good as you think you are, and so pick yourself up and start working hard. And here's the thing though, is I was I was so bad in the classroom, Like you say so bad, how bad, can you be? You went to cal First of all, I got waitlessed. I barely got in. I barely got out too, by the way, and so I barely got I barely got out. I barely made it in. They tried to keep me there then, But for me and my brain never worked in the class. It was just I was never I have to work three times as hard as you to get it. Get like a B plus I get it. Yeah, you know, all right, but I do.
Speaker 2: It's effort and all that. So I got to interject this quick story for you. It's hilous. Let me here. So when I was coaching a Manassas, this dude came up. Well nobody. My first games that Manassas had three people at them. Yeah, I mean we were four winds years wait years, oh man, dude. Two thousand and two is about the first year, and literally three people in the stand. It'd be two thousand on the other side. And we had the bus driver, I bet, principal, and a lady named this guy who was like eighty year old graduate of Manassa who never missed a game. That was it. As we started winning and kids started coming and getting better, yeah, more fans more people and people from the neighborhood would want to help out, and most of them were well intentioned, and some of them were like dudes that wanted to relive the glory days that I didn't have any time for. One of the well, those dudes showed up and said, hey, you know you didn't need help coaching. I'm good on the d line. And I said, well, let's talk about that. And I said, you know, what did you play ball? He said, yeah, I played a Cow. Now, now this is a guy who's from North Memphis who didn't have a job, and said he went to cal Well Carol. And I said really, And I said you played football Cow and he said yeah. And I said, wow, that's interesting. And I said, so you graduated from Cow. He's like, oh no, no, no, I left early. Hold it, I left early. I went overseas to chase that big money and played in Canada football. Hold it. Listen to what I just said. I went overseas to chase the big money and went to Canada.
Speaker 1: Hey, there's a great lake.
Speaker 2: Last time. Look there wasn't an ocean between col and Canada. At which point I said, thanks, man, we'll give you a call if we could use you. But that was pretty much my full exposure to Cal from Memphis.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to Berkeley?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to Berkeley?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Once, It's a crazy place when you go, you're.
Speaker 2: Five six years ago, just passing through. Lisa and I drove up the coast and did the one. Well, yeah, we went to Pepperdine, saw that campus, went to Cal.
Speaker 1: How do you think? Do you see how freaking beautiful that campus was?
Speaker 2: Pepperdine?
Speaker 1: How do you get any work done on the camp?
Speaker 2: How do you how do you ever leave when you're on when you're midway of campus? Yeah, and there's deer or walking across the campus and the campus is blow you and then there's the Pacific Ocean. But worst go to a baseball game. I wouldn't ever watch a ball get pitched because you got the it's gorgeous, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: I give a speech. I gave a speech up there, and midway through I forgot my words because the sun was set over the beauty. Let me just say like, there's look, you could hear me talk. That's much more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's absolutely you went up and you went so But that's my question. You show up to Cow, right, yeah, first blush feel how'd you feel when you got that the campus? And you know, how did how did this eighteen year old kid who's moved all over the place went to this crazy competitive high school against Cow? What were your first impressions of it as a kid as a freshman? I mean, what was that long?
Speaker 1: And the context here, by the way, is like I grew up in a village in India interspersed.
Speaker 2: Yea, and you showed up to America with Maddie up stay here.
Speaker 1: And Staten Island. We lived in an apartment where like we would play a game of what cockroach is the fattest that you've seen today? Like, so I'm giving you context because it's fascinating to see. And this is again credit to my parents. You know, we have complicated family dynamics. But putting all that aside, that's something that you know, nobody can ever take away from them and their hard work. But given all that context, I get come to Berkeley and what's interesting is, first of all, Berkeley's like the size of a small country. Like there's like sixty thousand kids there. It's it's like ut it's huge, It's massive, and the second thing is that I came as a somebody that's probably going to be a pre med student, right, And you and I talked about this, and I had done debate in high school, and I really got this bug of like I kind of liked this idea of beating up people with my words, you know. And I was like, I kind of liked this idea. And I wasn't that great. I was average. Again, I was average. I had never found my thing, and so I had this debate thing. I'd come in as kind of a pre med person. I took my bioclass. And the crazy thing about cal was that, again, it puts you in your place. What I love about public schools in this country as opposed to private like Ivy schools and which just came from the University of Notre Dame, which is a beautiful private school, is that how do you win in an environment where there's no advisors and no coddling sixty thousand people? You have to fight for it. And that was essentially that first semester. It's crazy, though, is second semester. I had this inkling President Trump had just been elected. I had that political bug, like I was interested in politics, because of debate, but I was still interested in sort of trying to do the med thing because of my parents and also because I felt like that was something that I wanted to do as well at that time. And then we had so Trump. We had at this pre met thing and campus is crazy. Berkeley is oftentimes known as the Republic of Berkeley. You know, it's politics are off the charts, and it started becoming a centerpiece for a lot of tumult and a lot of those things that you today Sarah culture war issues. At that point, we're at the forefront of campus, but not mainstream. February second, twenty seventeen, the College Republicans invite the speaker to campus by the name of Milo Annapolis.
Speaker 4: All right, hang on, yeah, you're getting there. Yeah, but first yeah, and we're going to this next You're competing, you're trying to find your place, you're fitting in. Your mother wants you to be a doctor, and you're being pre mad and you're doing that. But you love debate, and clearly you have an inkling toward an interest in the public debate. Maybe not politics, but not the politics, but the public debate. Yeah, well, you're in the right place because it's Berkeley. Yeah, because they will protest protesting.
Speaker 1: They protest everything.
Speaker 2: They will protest, protesting.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: If they're protesting, let's protest their protest.
Speaker 1: That's my joke about Berkeley.
Speaker 2: Well, it's true, right.
Speaker 1: And sometimes the things that they protest are it'll make you pause. She I mean a great example.
Speaker 2: Give us a ridiculous protest.
Speaker 1: Well, in this case, they weren't. Actually they were just made up in issues so they didn't have to go to class. And again, this is like tall my, this is not me throwing shade at cow. Like. There's a lot of people that protest legitimate things. We have a lot of union stuff there. All the employees are unionized. There's a lot of action.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying.
Speaker 1: Coach Bill. Let's just say that Berkeley holds the record for how many publicly nude people I've seen absolutely, it's a fact. Being a protest or are you protesting protesters? I know I've seen protesters be nude. I've seen protesters protesting nudity. I've seen people, animal rights folks doused in fake blood on campus, you know, sitting in a cage, a fake cage. I've seen uh, Christian preachers stand there talking about the fact that, like the heavens are going to break tomorrow. You know, Berkeley is a place that tracts interesting people that like have deep convictions, crazy people, and normal people that are just trying to get a job. And and I fit that ladder most ladder category, I.
Speaker 2: Think I would protest naked people protesting?
Speaker 1: Would you be naked doing it?
Speaker 2: Have you seen me? No?
Speaker 1: Fly?
Speaker 2: No, not this guy. Suffice it to say, though, if you're a freshman and you're rolling up to this atmosphere, man, it's it's twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Just happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got to be a little bit of culture shot. But the other thing I would think is that after a while, you get a little numb to the protest. It's almost like, hold it, Why did anybody protested today? Yeah? When they, I mean, is so common that they almost lose their bite because everybody's always protested, like whatever. But that changed on the day you're about to tell us about, because this became more than a protest.
Speaker 1: Yes, so tell us about.
Speaker 2: This day that ultimately changed the direction of your life. But first, a few messages from our sponsors.
Speaker 1: If you were telling me this is what I would be doing what days it till you know, October third, time stamp.
Speaker 2: There you go, Alex, I know what the guests did.
Speaker 1: I can't see the day guy.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you know what. That's too bad. He can get over it. Yeah, we're on October third today, so of normal folks at a full fledged timestam. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Alex is like the time portal guy. Yeah, but essentially. Yeah, February second, twenty seventeen, I was walking back from the seminar. One other thing I didn't tell you was because I was waitlisted to college. Berkeley has sixty thousand kids. Now it's even more. I'm pretty sure they don't have enough housing for students, so they have a homeless student population, believe it or not. No, I'm being serious.
Speaker 2: Somebody I should protest that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: See that's what I'm saying. If you protest everything, you lose the bite on the issues that actually matter.
Speaker 2: Like that's it.
Speaker 1: So that's the problem. You've solved Berkeley's issues in like ten minutes, and so essentially I would be So. I was a part of this program that they've now shut down called the Fall Program for freshmen San Francisco now Berkeley. If you know anything about the geography. Berkeley's on this side of the bay and San Francisco's on this side of the bay. Nobody told me that for the entirety of first semester, every morning at seven am, they would bust me on the F bus all the way to San Francisco to take class. I was so average that when I got there, I wasn't good enough to take class in Berkeley. And so I would take a bus every morning with some of my friends that are now still my friends. The F bus, show up to FPF Berkeley or fps San Francisco, take class there, and then bust back. You know what's really ironic. By the way, now I live two blocks from FPF at San Francisco now, but that's a whole nother thing. So I'm doing this bussing thing. Second semester. They're like, okay, now you can. You've earned your spot, we've enrolled some new kids. You can take classes on campus. So they starting classes on campus. Now I'm walking back from this math seminar, right, and so it's February second, twenty seventeen, so we're about three weeks into this semester. I'm walking back and that day that day specifically, I remember I wanted to walk. I love sunsets and nature's a big thing for me. And so the way that the sunsets in Berkeley, the way that the main street telegraph intersects on campus, you can see the sun setting over the Pacific Ocean right above the Golden Ape Bridge. It's beautiful. Wow, it's amazing. And the bridge is very far away, which is it's a much better view, but because Berkeley's all the way across the bay, but you can see it in the distance. And then suddenly I hear like helicopters flying overhead and shouting in the distance, and I have the exact same reaction you just did, which is like, it's Berkeley. You know, we protest everything. You know, somebody's getting protested. Hopefully it's a real issue. And then this cafe window is broken in an inside where it was a cow dining hall where the food, where the food is surface students, and inside it said CNN you see Berkeley students protest free speech. I was like, wait, this is actually something different. What was crazy was that the film crew that was filming that was standing right next to me, and you're seeing it, and I'm seeing it, and that was like the breaking the fourth wall, where you know, like most of us are usually the normal people are just observers of politics, you know, of media, all these things. Suddenly I actually felt like a participant. I went from me an observer to a participant. And so then the question became what do I want to do next? Well, as the curious, angsty, pre med interested political Berkeley student I was, I was like, I'm going to go into the middle of it. And so I heard the shouting. We went into Sprouplaza and I have these pictures on my phone still, and went into sporal Plaza and there you had hundreds of students protesting this guy's speech. Now you're like, who's this guy? What's a speech? The speaker came to campus a Miley Annopolis at the College Republicans invited. Now, for anybody that's listening, Milo, is this like random kind of provocateur guy. He's not interested in good faith conversations. He's basically been sidelined now at that time.
Speaker 2: But he was heavy, right.
Speaker 1: He was heavy at that time. He was very big at that time, and he would do this college chour thing where he would basically show up and like provoke angry college liberals and like say stupid things about them and get them really angry and frustrated in some ways actually like attack them. Basically, he made a living out of bullying people.
Speaker 2: That was his thing, and which, let's be honest, there's nothing good about.
Speaker 1: That, nothing good about it. Well, he did nothing for his cause, but it's his right, which is right exactly. So what happened you go to it's right. What's fascinating about Berkeley's Now this is twenty seventeen, right, these protests are happening. Students are protesting in defense of my fellow students. What we found out was also that outside groups came in because the other thing about Berkeley is it attracts a bunch of people. So a lot of far right people show up, a lot of far left people show up. It's basically a way for people to get a platform, and so all these people start showing up. The history now of this place is in the sixties, Sprout Plaza was where doctor King spoke, It's where Mario Savio started the free speech movement. At that time, the liberals were on the side of you know, at least the very extreme ones are on the side of free speech, and so it was such a fascinating cultural ship. You could see it happening in front of you. It's almost like Memphis in some ways. You know, you go to certain places and they've changed completely. And I saw in those protests violence. I saw students crying. I saw a journalists whose face was punched, his nose were broken in the stores are shattered. There was hundreds of police officers, they brought in California State Police CPD.
Speaker 2: And let's let's be candidate. This is all because people who didn't agree with what this far right guy had to say. Yeah, we're doing everything they could to keep him from saying whatever it was he wanted to say, which is the irony of the opposite of free speech.
Speaker 1: So there's two things I'll say to this, because this is a little bit of a copy. And this is where actually people get hold up because they're like, all right, so, Coach Bill Manu, are not talking about this far right person being protested. They must be a bunch of conservatives that care about free speech. And that's not the message, because first of all, free speech should not be a liberal or conservative values and American values a human value more and Secondarily is that free speech is throughout history. It's the value that people use that feel like they're under attack because it's your weapon, it's your access card to society. Sixties, it was those anti war protesters and liberals and civil rights activists, so for them, free speech was a thing. Now a lot of conservatives on campuses feel under attack and so it's their thing. What we have to recognize is that free speech is a value that moves the society forward. And it's very shortsighted to say, well, Manu and Coach Bill are talking about this farraka and kicked off. This is where I signed off on this podcast, because it must mean that there are a bunch of conservatives that want, you know, liberal kids see it hurt. So here's the two things I'll say now about that moment. First is you and I the intent of those protests was to shut down my Low. We're now six years later, we're still talking about him. That protest single handily raised this guy's profile to the stratosphere.
Speaker 2: That is interesting and true his name.
Speaker 1: You and I are only talking about him because he got protests that day. That day, if nothing had happened, I probably would not be doing what I'm doing, and you and I probably would have never met.
Speaker 2: And we sure would be talking about this guy.
Speaker 1: And this Greek British dude would have no relevance. So that's first thing is let's try to understand and let's not let this moment convolute our tactics. And the second thing is the question of like, well, who's allowed to speak and who's not. This is where I think it's a little bit of an onus on the people that are inviting these speakers and bringing on these people. It's you know, what's your goal, what's your intention? I do think that a part of it is to stir the pot a little bit. You're trying to provoke a little bit, you know, if you actually want real conservative thought on that campus at that time, bring somebody semi serious, you know. And simultaneously, for my liberal friends and folks, recognize that protest is very important, but at that moment us protesting him only led to not only more violence, but the campus can be shaken. I think it cost the university a million dollars in damages million and a half and forget the UC systemic.
Speaker 2: Well, in my understanding is a lot of that was caused about people that weren't even Berkeley students, and they were masked.
Speaker 1: It was outside And was I not masked, Yes, a lot of them were masked. It was outside groups. And what that also did, by the way, was it set a precedent for an how over the next three four years you would see rallies on campus and in communities that had nothing to do with the students, but people knew that if they went to Berkeley, it's just a cultural, iconic place, and so they're going to get attention.
Speaker 2: I want to tell you a story about my alma mater. Yeah, James Meredith was the first black man admitted to the University of Mississippi, and Kennedy was the president then, and there were three days of riots and people died. What they found out that BI found out after they did the investigation, is that the student body was there doing what student body does, but the gunfire and the true violence were from people from four different states, not from the University of Mississippi. So while there was protest and there it was the heart of the civil rights question, and there was all kinds of things that went on that were wrong that hopefully history will show that we continue to try to do well with and continue to prove on the point is the vast majority of the violence, everything came from outside the city, outside the state, and the outside the campus. But what happens is situations like that give a theater and a platform to the crazies. Yeah, and it sounds to me like that's what happened to cal that day.
Speaker 1: Have you heard the term conflict entrepreneurs?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, so sure.
Speaker 1: One of our good friend's name is Monica Guzman and her friend Amana Ripley Amanda wrote this book, I think it was last year or two years ago, called Healthy Conflict. And one of the things that comes up in that book is that right now, the people that divide us, And this is something I say a lot. Is my assumption and belief is that I think, Coach Bill, the people that divide us understand human nature better than the people trying to bring us together.
Speaker 2: Oh. I think I think you could. I think you could fill gymnasiums full of those people who currently work in our in our national media and with that one skill, yep.
Speaker 1: And I call it the outrage industrial complex. And the idea behind that is that people understand that you and I have a much stronger propensity to hate each other than love each other. I think hate is like gasoline. It burns really quickly, but it disappears also pretty quickly, but it's very quick. It's high propensity. I think love is like rocket fuel. It takes a wild ignite, but once it ignites and sustains, it's very strong. And I think the problem right now is because our attention spans are so minuscule, because you know, you and I have to go after this podcast and produce all these short clips. People can't watch things more than ten seconds because we barely ever now interact with people that are different than us, because you know, somebody who lives in Washington, DC and somebody that lives in Richmond only probably drive between those cities and have never interacted with anybody between those two cities. For all of those reasons, and the siloing and the fact that are politicians are capturing and capitalizing on that. You've got people that are turning us into tools for their money, and then you and I are giving up on each other because we're buying to their bullshit. And that's basically the moment. So and that's what those people, those people that show up the campus. That's what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Before you were in school. One of the things that I learned when I was a young man was this price I may vehemently disagree with everything that comes out of your mouth, that I will fight to my death for your right to say it. That was a very strong American ideal for many, many, many, many many years. And I think we've lost it. And I think that's what was lost in Berkeley that day.
Speaker 1: Why do you think we've lost it? Because you've seen America much more than I have. You've lived here longer, You know things. What's your assessment?
Speaker 2: Money and power? Money and power? I think there's I think there's an enormous amount of power and wealth that has been generated in places like New York and our media centers, and an enormous amount, far too much money and power generated in the halls of Congress, and that, like you say, people have developed a unique skill and a keen understanding that I can generate more money and power if I can divide. Because if I can scare the hell out of people and divide them and get them into my camp, I can use that fear to generate more power from myself and therefore more money. And I believe narratives and politics are crafted in order to sustain and grow that money and power. And I think we got to fix that, which is why your story is so important, because after all, this happened in col something happened inside of you, and it leads to what you're doing today. So tell me about I think it was twelve of you, right, tell me about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. By the way, I have to say one thing, the fact that you just recalled it was twelve. Just for anybody that's listening. Coach Bill is a busy, busy man. The fact that you remembered that means a lot to me. It means that that's a tough thing to do. And somebody that also does this and learning from you and hearing from you. I think one of the things that you're doing powerfully, especially in this conversation but in general, and what I think is part of what we need to try and flip this problem in the set is you're making somebody feel like the story matters. Your story does matter, okay, But the point is that right now, I think a lot of people just feel purposeless. I think a lot of people feel lost.
Speaker 2: I agree I don't know that. I don't know that I'll agree with you a lot of people feel purposeless, but I absolutely agree with you that a lot of people feel lost. And I don't mean lost inside their own homes, but I mean lost in our culture. Yeah, And unfortunately, that's our freaking culture. It is not DC's culture, it is not New York's culture. It's our culture. And until an army of normal folks take that culture back, we're going to continue to feel lost in it. And I think that's a shame. And I think that's that's why you're here, is because I think the work you're doing is one of the things that helps fix that. But I got to have our listeners here. Why the twelve and what you did? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So those twelve people were essentially not an army but a squad.
Speaker 2: You were a beat up two. We were smaller than we Yeah.
Speaker 1: We were a squad.
Speaker 2: Squad.
Speaker 1: We were a squad with a squat of Berkeley people, of Berkeley people, which is very not formidable and so so essentially what happened was that next day, right after after after the protests, after.
Speaker 2: The were mace noses were broken, a hundred some thousand the police jumped in, they shut down campus helicopters, and ultimately the campus decided, well, this guy can't speak, it's too dangerous, and they pulled them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they pulled them.
Speaker 2: So for the day, the protesters won. But as you so well put it, we're talking about them six years later. So ultimately they lost. They won, they won the battle, and they really lost them.
Speaker 1: They lost the war. They lost.
Speaker 2: The next day, you and the twelve.
Speaker 1: So me and the twelve uh Sholes, we should there were those, there were, there were. It's funny. So I did not know any of these people. And the next day what happened was that all these students suddenly were rattled. I mean, imagine your campus just goes upside down overnight. You have like every television crew there every.
Speaker 2: Day, and even in a place where protest on protests big, even in this was like kind of like out.
Speaker 1: I don't know the exact fact here, but I'm pretty sure it was one of, if not the largest protests since the sixties anti war protests. Wow, So in terms of damage, in terms of impact, in terms of narrative, and the next day essentially it was a very human emotion. It was I mean I just felt bad for campus. That was it, and I think a lot of people felt bad. And so we started doing was a lot of kids started showing up to Sprout Plaza and we essentially started just picking up the trash, picking up the broken bottles. These kids, I thought, I was so proud of that community at that time, and showed me the best of humanity. It was like, you know, forget all of this for a second, like let's just let's just help out our community.
Speaker 2: That's you know. Now, that reminds me of the of the of the the the citizens in Ferguson afterwards that were out in the streets cleaning up the pres and it didn't matter which side of that you are on. They were just trying to clean up.
Speaker 1: Our community was hurting.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 1: And and that's where the human of our democracy comes in. And so there then after people started picking up stuff, these like mini groups of people started forming just naturally. And each of these groups people were like saying, like, you know, I can do this to help or what just happened? And I, because it's Berkeley, called them therapy circles. And so these kids are all like, you know, commiserating and all of us are commissering together and suddenly randomly go into this one circle and there's a couple of people there and they're like, hey, you know, we were thinking about creating this organization that was focused on bridging political differences, and this just happened. Talk about political differences, this is a tsunami. And I was like, well, what if we And we were like, what if we created a like literally in this group, It's like maybe our first event could be let's just talk about this. And essentially what we did was a couple of days later and between this interim, I essentially circulated this petition on campus because there's this bad rap going around that UC Berkeley students were violent, and it wasn't enough students, it was just the random people from the outside. We circulated this peedition, published it on the news that said UC Berkeley students condemned violence. I had circulated across campus, and again it was just like my tiny attempt to like try and do my part. It wasn't anything substantial. Then we held that discussion and man.
Speaker 2: How many people show up?
Speaker 1: So this is crazy. So mind you, I have like no background in organizing or anything like this. Like the closest I've been organizing is you know, like dissecting a frog in biology class. Like there's there's literally no intuition here. All we did was we started flying on our dorms and we like through flyers all our friends. We say, hey, like we're gonna host this ussion. And a bunch of people are like, is this a civic architecture frat? Because it was called Bridge Berkeley, It's like, which bridge are you going to build it? I was like, do I look like I can build a bridge? And so we like we we held this discussion and I think like eighty to seventy five to like eighty five people showed up in a classroom that was meant for I think thirty people. And give me the demographics, yees say, this is what's cool about it is the people that came were some of the people that invited the speaker. It was some of the people that protested the speaker. There was some faculty there, there's some administrators there. It was a real group of some of the key stakeholders in that environment and everybody. What can you imagine, imagine you're holding a town hall meeting, You're attending your local pt or school board meeting and something very controversial happened. What happens, everybody shows up with their guards up. It's like, we're ready to fight or I'm ready to like not say anything. That's exactly what happened. And this is where the group of us that helped organize this, who're now some of my best friends and still work on this organization bridge USA with me. What we did was we just relied on our instinct. It's like, Okay, imagine you have a room of a bunch of stodgy people that hate each other and probably misperceive each other's intentions. How do you help them break through? Well, let's start just talking about our vulnerabilities in story.
Speaker 2: Here's an idea. Let's have a conversation.
Speaker 1: Have a conversation.
Speaker 2: Let's have a civil, non threatening chat about importing stuff and see what we think of one Now.
Speaker 1: You sound like an alien? No, I sound like what an alien?
Speaker 2: Well, what I'm saying to you I have said in keynote speeches, I've said in stages. It's in my book. It's it's the fundamental tenet of my book, Against the grain. We got to go against the grain of societal preconceived notion that if you don't think like me, you must be my enemy. And we got to get out of our vacuums and our comfort zones and talk.
Speaker 1: So I agree with all of that. And as a young person, when somebody says, so, what's your innovative product, I'm like nothing, I like, what are we innovating? And so like when you say that, like I have to ask, like I always ask people that have much more life experiences. Mean, I'm like, to me, it just sounds like family dynamics. I'm like, let's talk to each other. To me, it sounds like two parents, you know, navigating a divorce. You know, this stuff is not complicated, And I think, like in this hyper technical environment, and that's what happened. Actually, I think our naivy tae in that moment organizing that actually helped us. It sounds like it, yeah, because we were naive, We're like, well and.
Speaker 2: It was it was it was legitimately a heartfelt outreach. Yes, And nobody convinced you yet that that was stupid.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. And we had no idea the challenge we were embarking on. But that's the best part is when you start a journey I mean, when you were coaching that football team, I bet one of the tenants of it is, don't look how far away that championship is. Stay by day.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. When you get these people together and they start talking about their realities, and I can imagine you've got a college Republican and you've got somebody who'd formerly been naked protesting about some animals or something in the same room. My belief set is, and I'm testing this with you, my belief set is that we all want safety, we all want health, we all want our families to do well. We all want our children to be better than we were now. We all may think there's fifteen different ways to go about that, but we all ultimately kind of want the same maslov hierarchy it needs to be filled. Does hearing that people want the same thing although they want to go about getting it differently, Does at least hearing that people want the same thing have any kind of calming effect on the room?
Speaker 1: It does, But I think what helps even more is to share each other's suffering.
Speaker 2: Learn all that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I actually think that the most powerful tool, the knife that cuts through hot butter, is vulnerability. I think when you and I actually can see each other's vulnerability and have a no bs honest understanding that this was your hardship and this is why you are what you are, and here's an example of my vulnerability. I think suddenly, what it does is it makes us fundamentally human.
Speaker 2: Which means that empathy leads to understanding exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's when you can start talking about common values, because I think it's the difference between showing and telling. And you know, when I talk about my childhood growing up, imagine if the only thing you talked and said to the amazing people that are listening to this right now is when you went to a competitive public high school next to Harvard Mit, then went to cal Berkeley, now leads a nonprofit organization, and he flew in from Chicago today. The thing, this guy's probably an asshole, you know. So what you did was You're like, all right, let's like actually go through your life. Let's have a conversation about who you are, why you do what you do. Tell me about your grandfather. I'm sure not all that was relatable to everybody, but pieces were. And I think vulnerability devastates and creates the pathway for love, it is so strived.
Speaker 2: So in this room or people vulnerable? But why why do people come to you know what? I think? I know why. I'm gonna answer my own question. No not, I'm gonna let you answer, but I'm gonna tell you what I think. I think heios maybe the shock of what happened on campus allowed people to maybe be vulnerable in that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's I would say seventy five percent of it, which is it got so bad that people for a second orre like, let's just exit this game and like understand that real people were hurt. You know, this is not funny games anymore. This is real. This is what happens when you invite somebody protests and it all becomes a cocktail. So that's a piece of it, is that when things get so bad, I think people come back to it. But the other piece of this was that they actually did not show up ready to be vulnerable. As I said, most people showed up with their guards up. It's very natural. So that's where I think leadership comes into play. That's where the people that are in that room of the model what you're looking for. And the first thing that we did the twelve of us that were helping to organize this, where like we shared our story forget all this, like we talked about this is where I come from, this is who I am, this is what I believe, this is why I believe what I believe, and you suddenly create a norm of honesty. It's as simple as if everybody in this room wasn't wearing shoes and I walked in, I'd probably take off my shoes. Okay, everybody's not wearing shoes. That's the norm. It's a best setting a norm. You set a norm and then you enforce that norm, and you enforce it and you say, hey, look, if you don't want to follow this norm, I'm sorry, this isn't the space for you. No problem. We don't have to do that to anybody. Because when people started seeing each other share, then you kind of feel I can't be left out of this. It creates social pressure and it also says, well, hey, I want you to hear my story. I want you to hear my story. And that's essentially what a bridge discussion does is it creates a space that is safe for liberals and structured for conservatives. Say that again, safe for liberals, and structured for conservatives.
Speaker 2: Why do liberals need safety and conservatives need structure?
Speaker 1: I'm not smart enough to answer that question, but I know that's what they want.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So that's just I gept conjectures. But you don't even like to create those divides. But the reason I'm saying very openly is because again, it's about meeting people where they are, right, So we've created the space. The second part about the space is that it's peer led. So there isn't some faculty facilitating this. There is some it's the members of your own community. Right. It's like if you have something that happened in your school board meeting, you want the teachers there and the teachers talking to teachers. Right. It's peer lead, no power dynamics. The third thing that's really powerful about this is you're setting these norms. Each Bridge discussion is four norms. You listen to listen, not to respond. You don't interrupt our outside conversations. Each of us represents ourselves, not larger social groups. So you don't represent all white Americans. I don't represent all the confused dacs out there.
Speaker 2: And and you know, do you realize there's plenty of confused white people, Well, please, that's for you to decay and.
Speaker 1: Confused America, you should change the name of that. But but in case anybody's wondering whether they see is a word for Indian people that Indians use in Hindi. And then the fourth norm is that you respond to the argument, not the person. So like let's say you said that, so you said.
Speaker 2: Something, is the definition of civility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But Hare's where I'll push back really quickly is we never use word civiility. And the reason we don't use the word civility is because I think that we live at this moment where a lot of people are hurting and they want change. Left or right doesn't matter a lot of people. There's a reason why the conflict entrepreneurs can make money off of that. And so what we found is we initially used to call it civility because that's what makes sense to me as well. But what we found was is people started hearing the word civility, they thought, oh, this is some kombaya, let's hold hands. Civility does not invoke that feeling of healthy conflict. Because what we're doing these discussions is oftentimes the objective is not for you and I to arrive at a common understanding. Oftentimes it's for you and I to understand why you and I disagree with each other, because that gets us somewhere right. And importantly, we can't lose the fact that if we want more and more people to have these dialogues, these conversations, they have to feel like they're entering the space, not having to feel like that they're grind down their edges. Show up with your edges, show up with your fight. The problem is not whether we're fighting. The problem is how we're fighting.
Speaker 2: Of course, in other words, it's okay, I mean, it's not what you say, but how you say it.
Speaker 1: It's not what you say, it's how you say it, but also how you engage. So all of those four norms right, listen, to listen rather than to respond is not telling you to suddenly disband your ideas. Saying listen to your ideas for a second. Right, when I say respond to the argument, not the person, show up with your argument. But just because if Coach Bill says something that you disagree with, that does not make Coach Build an evil person. You might think the argument's dumb, and that's fine. Let's have that conversation. But right now we're not even having a conversation, right.
Speaker 2: I love this. You are putting into practice stuff that I've talked about for years. I mean, I absolutely love this. So we got we gotta tie it together. Though. Sure you have this first meeting. What happens after that, we.
Speaker 1: Have a second meeting where five people show up. Nobody showed up. I'm honest, So nobody showed up. And this is part of again, normal people doing stuff like you know, this is when you're building something. It's really hard to build anything or do anything. Nobody showed up. And the reason why nobody showed up is because a lot of rumors started flying about what happened in this space, and a lot of people people didn't want to believe what happened, and also probably couldn't couldn't believe what happens, especially at at Berkeley at Berkeley. And then what we did was we said, well, let's actually intentionally pursue this because I don't know what it is. But I love. What I love about my work the most is I love the idea of somebody walking into a room, sitting down, and leaving ten twenty thirty minutes later, completely changed about their expectations of somebody that's different than them. It is like one of the coolest experiences.
Speaker 2: That is one of the coolest things.
Speaker 1: It's transformative, and it doesn't happen everything sometimes at backfires. No, it died, but that's the arduous process of building. And so what we did was we held the next discussion. Five people showed up. Were like, damn, we didn't market that. We didn't do anything. We just assume people are going to show up again. Now it's like two weeks out of this event, right, and so classic marketing, you gotta step in, you gotta start building. And so we were like, hey, let's actually build an infrastructure here. So we got a team those twelve people, we all took our roles. We started doing our thing. Each of us was doing something. And then what happened was we had one faculty member sitting in that discussion named Bill Shireman same for her name as you. And Bill Shyrman, who's now the chair of our board, was sitting in the back of the classroom and he knew these two people at Notre Dame and at Colorado Boulder Notre Dame. This guy named Roj Karma and Colorado Boulder, this woman named Courtland Carpenter, and believe it or not, they had built something called Bridge CU and Bridge n D because the idea of bridging seems like a very normal metaphor. And they connected and they started creating this thing. They were like, what if we built this on different campuses. And Bill came up to us and said, well, let's make this full on Bridge Berkeley and let's combine everything. And so we're like okay, And so we started doing this stuff. But we weren't thinking about a national organization, no vision, nothing, But we just kept holding those discussions. People started showing up. It became a name on CAM.
Speaker 2: And the people that are showing up Yes, there's some faculty and all that there, but.
Speaker 1: We're talking about college case college kids. And here's the other thing. Just to quickly fast forward, just so people understand. Now they're thinking, well, this must be probably for just elite college kids at Berkeley and Harvard and Stanford. No, we have yet to have a single IVY League school chapter. We now have high school chapters. We have sixty college chapters, twenty high school chapters. We're growing almost five six chapters a month right now on the goal is to scale that up because the demand is really high. But the other thing I'll say is on the college side, the goal is, let's go to our community colleges, Let's go to our vocational schools. One of our best chapters, one of the top the first seven chapters, is a college nam Lynn Benton Community College up in northern Oregon the border of Lynn County in Benton County. And the point of all of that is for me to say that this work is highly not only accessible, but normal people are doing it, not just elite college kids. And that's powerful, because that's powerful.
Speaker 2: But doing it is getting a grouped together of people from all different walks of life, religious, political, social, and cultural belief sets and talking.
Speaker 1: It's just doing the American experiment. That's it. There's literally again, there's nothing profound about what I'm doing. I am so looking forward to the day when somebody's like, you know what, I'm going to steal this IP, because the moment they steal that IP, the country's can be back on track. Because our IP is just human nature. It's like, let's have a conversation, talk to each other. And then I look forward to the day of like retreating to the medical books.
Speaker 2: Give me one of your greatest stories of a meeting that you've experienced and watched two people from alternate realities, fine commonness.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to give you another Berkeley story because it connects actually a couple of things to talk about. Connects to the student homelessness question, it connects protesters, and it connects the power of a group discussion.
Speaker 2: Was anybody naked?
Speaker 1: Nobody was naked? Nobody nobody was though the well, I'll tell you a context. So a couple of quick context facts. Berkeley is this place called People's Park. Now, People's Park has a lot of interesting people in it, to say the least, and it was basically a place created in about the fifties sixties that now has become this massive ground for you know, everybody from like drug addicts to hippies, to people that want to live in Berkeley to homeless people. It's just a thing now. As I said, Berkeley is also a massive college and there's a homelessness problem with students because there's not enough space for university to build housing. And so twenty nineteen, which was our junior year, so this is a fall of twenty nineteen. I might be wrong on the month, but fall of twenty nineteen, I'm pretty sure this crisis speaking, the university proposes let's build a building on People's Park, and man, it started a whole nother shin dig right. They're like People's Park, this is the people's place it's been around. And oddly enough, in this case, the students are actually protesting the very core, you know, interesting People's Park because they're like, Yo, we need housing.
Speaker 2: Yeah we need housing, but not here and so and so.
Speaker 1: But a lot of kids also wanted that housing because they were like, we just we need a place to live. And Berkeley rent. Just to give you context, by the way, I lived in one of the cheapest and most crime written parts of the city where like the next year, tragically a student loss his life, like down the street eight hundred dollars a month rent, Wow, eight fifty that's the cheapest. So it's just giving context for how crazy the housing is there for student for student, and there's no dorms beyond freshman year, so you got to live in that rent or you're you got to figure something out. Point of all this is, we said, hey, let's let's host a discussion. Now there's a wonderful part in organization that your your audience might be interested knowing because you're like, hey, we're adults. We don't we're not on college camps. What do we do. It's a great part an organization called Braver Angels that has these associations across the country, and so we called them up because we're like, this could be a really big discussion, and so they have this thing called the Brave Angels Debate, where it's very similar to Bridge discussion with some sort of caveat. So putting that aside for a second, we're like, let's hold a discussion, and let's hold this debate. Let's bring everybody in. So we invite the homeless students, they show up. We invite the protesters in People's Park. We extended an invitation of the administration, but I don't think they showed up. We invited some Berkeley city officials and we had a room of I would say seventy five eighty people that were all sort of key people that were affected, so not like randoms that have no personal stake in the issue, like actual people out of opinions. And it started off just like the Milo thing. And this is a common pattern when you put humans together in a room that fundamentally mistrust each other and have the guards up. How are they going to show up not ready to communicate by the end. So this initial person was like, I'm going to protest this. He showed up, sat down, and then stood up and said I'm going to protest this. I was like, ed, give it a moment, just give it a chance. He's like, no, no, no, I'm going to protest this right now. You know what's hilarious is by the end of this conversation, Coach Bill, that guy was participating the most in conversation. He was one of the homeless people that came and he brought his posse of people and they were jumping in. You got homeless students, you got cow students, yet homeless people, you got end by the end of it, we actually broke some common ground. And what came out of that discussion was a real proposal around what could be done. And I don't remember the specifics, but the process of it was like I was like, this is again, time and time again. We underestimate how common we are, and we overestimate how different we are, and we've completely given up on the process of this to the conversation. And so now we'll tell you what my challenge is. My challenge is what we experienced after that mile event where only five people showed up, which is, you work in the lumber business. If a tree falls down in force, nobody saw that tree fell, it never fell. Nobody sees his work happening, and they only see the crazy people in the news. They're never going to believe it. And so we have to do and what you're doing with this podcast is build a cultural movement and a change where you're empowering everyday people to say that that's not okay and this is possible. So sorry, that was another tiree, But like that was one more example that often sticks in my mind that I think brings up a lot of different parts of the story.
Speaker 2: And from all of this is born Bridge USA.
Speaker 1: Bridge USA.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back tell us what Bridge USA is today.
Speaker 1: So Bridge USA is an amazing group of young people. Our entire team is under the age of twenty six, recent college grads. I graduated in twenty twenty and each of us had many different things that we could have done with our line. And I had some good mentors and people that were like, you know, take the risk, and I love this work, and so we jump right into it twenty twenty one full time from Berkeley, and since then we're now a team of about fifteen people. We have about sixty college twenty high school chapters. Last semester we engage about three thousand, five hundred students across our semesters and campuses. And I think that's nothing. It's a great data point. But our goal is to reach two hundred and fifty chapters.
Speaker 2: And the which would be then ten thousand students.
Speaker 1: It would be it would be around twelve thousand students a semester.
Speaker 2: Wow, And all with the goal all of getting young people who have been infiltrated with social media and parents and whatever goes on in the schools and professors and teachers and the national media and all of which have shaped these very impressible minds to come together and talk and talk.
Speaker 1: But I'll say two other quick things. One is it's not just young people talking. This is about creating norms change in this country. What I mean by norms change is this is about what I call the hopeful majority, which you call the army of normal people to essentially be heard. That's it. It's what Ronald Reagan did, so Newke Gingersh did with the moral majority. It's what Nixon did with the solent majority. It's what Barack Obama did with change Yes we can, It's what Trump did with the populist right. Is our fundamental task, and I think challenge is to give power and voice to the sense of fear, the eggshells that everybody's walking on, the desire to have human connection and yet that does not exist. That's our objective and the reason why I think young people are so crucial to the effort is take any social movement. I'll give you three. Civil Rights movement. One of the key things that kicked it off were four students that walked into their local F. W. Woolworth outside of North Carolina and set it in the lunch counters. It was like a Mendela the nineties South Africa. It was a contingent of young people that allowed him to achieve tremendous cultural power. The fact is that I think young people have a lot of cultural power, and I think old people have a lot of material power. And if you combine the cultural narrative power and a material power into one. It's really powerful. The only other thing I'll say with respect to our broader objective, and this is where I'll defend my generation a little bit. And then every generation's got their tests. Just for some contexts, I was born in ninety eight, and people will often say, like, why does a lot of gen Z either seem highly skeptical of politics or does not care or is so buried in their phone, or does not believe in the possibility of democracy. In fact, there's a poll created by the Harvard instut of Politics two years ago that said, I think it was like forty seven percent of young people are like fifty one or something. It was pretty sicizable. It was like, they don't believe in the power of democracy as a system for creaty change that was born in ninety eight, which.
Speaker 2: By the way, I've read and I god do that that is heartbreaking to me.
Speaker 1: So again this is a simple marketing challenge. It's like, all right, that's the problem set Why so we can meet them where they are. You take somebody my age born in December of ninety eight. I'm twenty four. It's twenty twenty three right now. I was I think two years old when nine to eleven happened. I was going to middle school when the Great Recession happened. I was graduated in high school when the twenty sixteen presidential election happened. I graduated college in twenty twenty when the pandemic hit the capitol riots happened, and you had the Trump byden election. And now it's twenty twenty three. Not a great sample size of democratic progress and growth.
Speaker 2: Like that's the lett That's a really fair comment.
Speaker 1: So I say that now many people, So I talk to a lot of people in the sixties that were in Berkeley at that time, which was also very tumultuous time. That was probably the most comparable decade in some ways to what we're going through right now. And when you look at it from that lens, I don't think it's necessarily meant to excuse the skepticism and the critique, but I think it's meant to demonstrate that if all you know is a house on fire, then there's basically two options. One you either try to will up and put out the fire, which is what myself and my fellow young leaders doing, or you escape the house, which is frankly a very understandable notion, and so how do we challenge it. That's our objective.
Speaker 2: I think that's I think it's really well stated. A lot of wisdom from a twenty four year old kid who you know from India.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're not that bad, you know, Hey India, there's a hot take. And so India's world's largest democracy. It's also it's got a lot of corruptions.
Speaker 2: It's the world's largest country. I think just this year it took over China and population right, yeah, yeah, so a democracy makes it. It's the world's largest anything.
Speaker 1: Yes, that it is. But part of the reason why again I became very invested in Bridge is because we saw how dysfunctional the democracies too. But the other thing about India is I think this is something that I've been seeing over the past couple of years because when I started twenty seventeen, when we started doing this, my mom would be like, She'd be like, not, there's there's no Indian people out in politics. And weirdly, I don't know if you've been seeing this, but there's a lot oddly's leave well Hale, Nikki Haley, Kamala Harris Ramaswami. We had on the podcast, Bobby Jindle, you speak the guy in the Louisiana Bobby, You've got the vake Morphew's.
Speaker 2: Nobody sleep at on these Indians.
Speaker 1: I know, Hey, hey, this is a hotter draft pick than the Memphis Grists.
Speaker 2: So here's the deal, dude, I mean, grow up born American, grow up half Indian, half American.
Speaker 1: Be The.
Speaker 2: Revelation about your grandfather's impact on you, I think is significant because you talk about a normal guy that your granddad, and to have him be such a significant imprint on you, I think is telling. And to go to Berkeley and having grown up apartments in your immigrant family chasing the American dream, and here you are, at twenty four, having lived that reality and then gone through probably the biggest protest thing to happen at Berkeley in forty years, and to now be heading up and organizations specifically meant to fix our American democracy. I think it's a beautiful, ironic tale and speaks to the power of an army of normal people and what it can do if someone wants to get involved or hear more about it, how they contact you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that you think this is going to be a cop out but if you go to contact at BRIDGEUICAD dot org, that email goes straight to my inbox perfect. And when I'm late, it's like eleven pm in some hotel room far away in like Kansas or something, and I'm sitting there and I'm lonely. That's what I do. I read that in box.
Speaker 2: That's good and really contacts easier than MANU.
Speaker 1: So exactly, just just call me contact. I'll say one last very quick thing, which is as you were telling me, like you're repeating the twenty four year old thing and us doing all the stuff and all that. The reason why it gives me bumps is like and I don't know where this comes from for me, Like I genuinely have no idea, but I love this place. This you know, when we used to when we were growing up in in India and then we would move back and forth, and then I would travel back and forth. It was really interested to being an army medic for a very long time and it was a thing in my family a lot. Like I used to ask my grandfather like should I join the Indian military? Should I join the American military? What do you think should happen? And he was like which house feeds you? And I said, well, you know, what do you mean? He's like, which soil do you live on? What soil cares for you? You know who showed up at our doorstep when nine to eleven happened in India to check on you? Can you believe that State Department sent somebody to a state in India out of the consult because they were doing checks on foreign citizens. And you know, I love history, and all of us play an extraordinarily insignificant part in history. You take your footnote of who your favorite leader is in American history or whatever. They maybe get a sentence in the Book of Human History. We all have a small part. But what's so amazing about this place is we're trying to imagine. I told you there's a society of three hundred and thirty million people that are all different from each other. And you're now a thousand years in the future, and you've studied the species called humans that have exists for one hundred thousand years. And in those ninety nine thousand years, they were violent, and they fought, and they lived in tribes, and they were essentially not what you see today in society. And that's their history. And now you're saying, these three hundred thirty million people are trying to live together, heavily armed and giving each other a voice, and living a system of governance where you and I are valued. That is the most ambitious experiment in the history of humanity. And just the last day, our team had just hired a few new people and we were having all hands meeting. Now'll end with this. We're like, you know, why do you do what you do? And I said, like, look, you know one of our mentors that passed away last year, name was Rob Stein. He talked about his legacy when he was dying, and he was somebody that gave us a lot of knowledge. And he said, you know what I most care about as I pass away now is not the things that I did, but the things that I think people like you will do. And that really changed my perspectives. I said, you know, our team, I said, imagine now you're eighty years old, You've thankfully got get grand kids. And they asked you, what were you doing in the twenties, you know, one of the most divided times in American history, And you said, I tried my best to try to solve one of the most pernicious problems the country's faced, and maybe you failed, but that's a proud answer. And so I love this place. I don't know where it comes from. I wish I was faking it because it would make it so much easier for me to walk away from it. But this is humanity's best shot.
Speaker 2: And that, my friend, is why you are absolutely a member of the army of normal folks.
Speaker 1: You're a build the army.
Speaker 2: You're a guy who sees a need and fills it. And it's an amazing story. And I got to tell you, it gives us fifty five year old goosebumps to look at a twenty four year old kid say I love my country and I want to make it better. We just need a whole bunch more of you, bro, And the work you're doing is phenomenal, and I hope people will start chapters, support you, financially, check you out, and let more people know about the fact that all these twenty year olds run around here are not anti democratic change the world in the worst way possible. People. There's a whole host of guys like you that love this country, that want to make it better and are not trying to do it in a vacuum, but rather in a very inclusive way. I've always said we can be a forward thinking, evolving society without abandoning the core principles that got us here in the first place. And I really, genuinely I think you aren't embodying me of that. And congratulations to what you've done so far. I can't wait to see where you go. And I really appreciate you joining me today.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: We've got a country to build, and thank you for joining us this week. If Manu or another guest has inspired you in general, or better yet, to take action by starting a Bridge USA chapter, by donating to them, or something else entirely, please let me know. I'd love to hear about it. You can write me anytime at Bill at normalfolks dot us, or call or text us at nine oh one three five two one three sixty six. And if you enjoyed this episode, share with friends and on social, subscribe to the podcast, rate and review it, become a premium member at normalfolks dot us. All these things that will help us grow an army of normal folks. Thanks to our producer, Iron Light Labs, I'm Bill Courtney and i'll see you next week.