Speaker 1: With three and out from each side. Thomas Morstead has had in some ways his best year at thirty seven years old. Drives Darius Davis back and a pretty good return.
Speaker 2: Goods.
Speaker 3: Turning to great Darius Davis, he is gone.
Speaker 4: There are no flags.
Speaker 3: On the field and those are the first points on this Monday night touchdown.
Speaker 1: For the rookie Eckler.
Speaker 3: The touchdown machine is in and the Chargers add to their lead, pour down and go and shut out of the end zone. That's fitting right, there is Conklin. No touchdowns allowed tonight by the Chargers, and the Chargers.
Speaker 1: Will take over on downs.
Speaker 3: Derwin James is fired up big night for this LA defense.
Speaker 2: Some games it takes everything you got, you leave part of yourself on the field, and you're okay with that because that's what.
Speaker 5: It took to emerge victorious, to be a winner.
Speaker 2: Then there are games like what we witnessed at the Metalwlands, a game where you know the bare minimum will do. All you have to do is show up, put forth a professional effort, and then the other team will just self emolate right before your very eyes enter. The Los Angeles Chargers, who got an early punt return, took advantage of some turnovers by a miserable Jets offense and cruise to a twenty seven to six win on Monday Night Football. A woful contest in terms of unless you're a Chargers fan, in terms of football entertainment. In what's the first of a run of not so high primetime games, Dan Hans is here with Greg rosehal Mark Sessler. Obviously, you guys know, I'm not gonna be happy about this game as I talk about it. But for the Chargers, it's another nice win for them in primetime. Even if it wasn't overly impressive, they end up winning by over twenty points, so it ain't all bad.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: It was crazy this whole game, thinking I can't believe they're only up by this much. But then you would look at Justin Herbert's numbers, and you would look at Zach Wilson's numbers, and they were exactly the same, except one takes a ton of sacks and one fumbles and one turns in a bad place to worst plays, and that's Zack Wilson. It wasn't Justin Herbert. But I do think you got to give the Chargers defense some credits, like, oh, they played the Bears. All they played. The Bears played two good offensive games sandwiched around that one where they dominated as bad as the Jets offense has been. And they've only topped three hundred yards in a game twice. So this wasn't, you know, the whole season, So this wasn't totally out of the ordin This is the least they've scored, this is the most sacks that Zach Wilson has taken. They turned the ball over three times, and they're getting good play from Joey Bosa, Khalil Mack and Tully Polozu. So it's been such a bad Chargers defense for so long under Staley that even the last month where they've they've looked pretty good. It's it's baby steps, but it's something for them to at least feel like maybe they got a future.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you're right. I mean, it's like it's much easier to focus on, you know. And I think Troy Aikman was doing this, like what is happening with the Jets and why it's not working? It's so obvious to us all. But what I see is like another one of these examples. There's a couple teams out there like this where it's like you've got a Jets defense that held a good Chargers offense to one hundred and ninety one total yards at three point four yards per carry. They looked helpless, and it's like there's two This Jets team is split right down the middle, and it's cracked like an egg because the other side of the all can't do it's it's it's part. And I just felt like the cutaways to Robert Solid tonight, it was a man a drift, and I think it's it's fair for him to feel that way. It's also fair to look at an organization that Dan, I think you tweeted about this did nothing about the quarterback position before the trade deadline, maybe overly loyal to the concept of Zach Wilson. I think even a week ago, it's like you went into this game saying, he's improving, there's hope here, there's X, Y and Z. But it came to fruition tonight where that's just simply not going to you know, it's not going to carry you through the rest of this season, And like, my hope for the Jets is damaged a little because of what we saw tonight. It's it's I don't know what to say. I feel like we've run through all the narratives on Zach Wilson, We've run through the narratives on this offense, and it's like, what do you say at this point?
Speaker 2: I mean, I've been yelling about it for weeks that it's absurd and it's embarrassing that they did not protect themselves after Aaron Rodgers went down, knowing what they had seen two years from Zach Wilson, that he's ineffective quarterback, way.
Speaker 5: In over his head.
Speaker 2: And then you look around the league and you see what Tyson bage It has done for Chicago, which is like move the ball at least. And you look at what Josh Doobbs just did from Minnesota, a guy that they got, you know, moved I think from pick two hundred to two twenty to get Dobbs in that building. And then you look at a team like the Jets that sat on their hands at the trade deadline, did not react after the stunning Rogers injury. And that's not all I thought. This game, all the Jets' warts were on clear display in front of the national audience. And if you've been listening to the show and paying attention, Like I haven't been a cheerleader about this Jets team the last few weeks, even though they were on a winning streak. I don't believe Robert Sala is a difference maker as a head coach. I don't believe that Nathaniel Hackett is a guy that should be an offensive coordinator if Aaron Rodgers isn't his quarterback. I don't believe the offensive line is competitive with these injuries. And I don't believe Zach Wilson is somebody that's going to take them to the playoffs because he's gonna just keep killing him. And I was getting into some Twitter skirmishes with Jets fans because there's a faction of Jets fans that will defend Zach Wilson because they're drinking the kool aid that Joe Douglas and Robert Sala, who I do not feel bad for because he's played.
Speaker 5: A part in this.
Speaker 2: Zach Wilson is secretly getting better a campaign that is totally bs that you can't just look at what's happening here and blame everything on Zach Wilson.
Speaker 5: That's what they'll tell you.
Speaker 2: And that's fair because the offensive line is weighing over its head. But at the same time, a lot of things go back to the quarterback. And Greg I thought you put it well at the top, like there are quarterbacks who can take a bad situation and make them better. There's bad quarter There are types of quarterbacks that take a bad situation and things stay level, and then there's the Zach Wilson's who are in a bad situation and make things worse. And you saw that clear on clear display. Even though he didn't throw interceptions, he did everything else poorly. And Troy Aikman is going nuts for the second time on Monday Night Football in three months this year. Absolutely you could hear him pulling his hair out because he cannot watch this guy play at this level.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I started writing down some of like the sarcastic Troy Aikman bits. There was one thing coming out of halftime and he said, well, you know, you would think they'll improve in the second half. He's like, you would think the law of averages would say they would. And on that play where Zach Wilson spun out of a sack, which one of the only times on that he spun out of it, and it looked like he was going to make a nice play, but then he misses the easy throw to the sideline. He's like, he did the hard part, you know, just like through throughout the game, he said, He's like, I probably don't need to tell you, you know, when it was a fourth down that they struggle on this down too, and you could hear the frustration from Troy. And that's a fun Troy Aikman. But I'm sure it's not a fun broadcast to be a Jets fan list, but you're also sharing it. I think the comparison between him and Herbert is interesting tonight because Herbert didn't make many big plays. Herbert's numbers are are woeful, sixteen for thirty for one thirty six. It was one of the worst days of Herbert's career. But he knows how to manage a game. He saw what this game was. He realized he just needs to avoid sacks, avoid mistakes. The Jets hit him nine times in the first half, thirteen times overall, and so he took five sacks. That's a lot of sacks, actually, but Jack Wilson was hit seven times. He took six sacks.
Speaker 6: He fumbled it.
Speaker 4: He made a lot of bad situations worse, and Herbert saw where he was. He was gifted good field position and he was gifted the punt return. And he was just playing the game as if like I need to just lamd this ship without making any big mistakes and get out of here with a win. And that's what he did.
Speaker 2: And in fairness, Herbert did on one of his sacks also fumbled the ball, but they had some.
Speaker 4: He had one near interception too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a good game he played. I mean, gret Mark the Jets defense. You know, it's only a matter of time now before you start hearing stories about this Jets defense really starting to bubble over with frustration because of the offense. It happened last year and now it's just a matter of time because that was a very embarrassing loss despite them playing very well.
Speaker 6: Right, Like the DNA is already there, like this this happened a year ago, and like I think the most frustrating thing is that that felt like a bad dream. You're back in it. There's this mythological concept that Aaron Rodgers will come back at this point, But you know what I wonder, like in another parallel universe, like how different would this be because I look at this offensive line and I think that's one of the biggest problems here. Obviously it's been a disaster, like Billy Turner was destroyed tonight, but they've had about three hundred and seventy eight line combinations, and it's fair to wonder if Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have suffered behind that too, it would be a better like ecosystem in general. But it's a terrible situation for a young quarterback. And I don't think you know, fight adding these wide receivers that Aaron Rodgers wanted to pluck from the universe, Like it's not a great wide receiver group beyond Garrett Wilson, and it's just like this side of the ball is a drift at sea, totally lost. And you've got this defense that feels to me like one of the greatest wasted defenses that we've seen in the last decade, because they can what they did to Justin Herbert tonight is extremely notable, and what they've been doing to quarterbacks week after week is notable. And it's like it's getting lost in the shuffle of one of the worst offenses that we witnessed.
Speaker 2: I'm Glad you said that, Mark, because you're right, this is not a super Bowl team, even with Aaron Rodgers healthy because of the offensive line and again, Nathaniel Hackett, like Billy Turner, is getting lit up over and over and over on that right side, and at no point do they change anything to help him out or take him out of the game, and they just expect things to get better. And you're right, Rogers did pave the way for Randall Cobb being on this team, who was mercifully phased out finally after the bye. He was the worst wide receiver in the league by some metrics, and Alan Lazard has not been their number two. There was reporting out there that Devonte Adams was some of they were hot for above ahead of the trade deadline. But Greg, to your point about pushing the trade deadline back a week, I think there was some bad luck there with what was going on with the Raiders at that moment. But that also tells you that the Jets understand a couple of things. That Lazard is not a number two, that the Cob is not a real slot receiver, and now I hope they're learning that Zach Wilson is not a quarterback. But I'm gonna guess, as we throw to some Robert solid postgame sound, that he still believes in the kid and there is room for growth.
Speaker 5: Rob take it away.
Speaker 6: Was this a step back for Zach Robert?
Speaker 7: I don't know if you can say step back. You know, there's like I said, there's it's all encompassing. Like you know, obviously he's gonna want some things that he wishes he could have done better, you know, from him from protection the it's just a little bit of everything.
Speaker 5: It's just.
Speaker 7: One of those bizarre games. It's just every time we had momentum, like I said, just a self inflicted wound wound. Was it his best game? Obviously not. Was it his worst game? No, I'm not gonna say it was even close to his worst game.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, like that emphatically says it's not even close to his worst game.
Speaker 4: Some of those bad games, like they were pretty bad.
Speaker 5: Sala Is not sala Is.
Speaker 2: I don't know if is he not smart enough to see it? Maybe he's just the wool is over his eyes here, But if he's packing up his stuff in a box in January, uh, it's gonna be because he was not he was complicit and how this all has gone down after Rogers' injury.
Speaker 4: I mean, well, they're not good at a quarterback evaluation by any logical metric, you know, just because they got in with Zach Wilson that ended up being a bad pick. A lot of teams I think would have made it, but sticking with him last year and versus you know, like the Mike Whites of the world and stuff, and sticking with them through that and the way that they didn't get anyone this year. But when you start the game, I just even think, like back to that first drive, like these things kind of let you know what kind of Zach Wilson knight it's gonna be. The very first throw was like to the moon. It wasn't even close to his receiver. And then the next very next throw almost got his receiver killed. And those are like the first dude throws. And I just felt even in that moments like, oh, it's gonna be one of those nights. And the Charters defense feels it. You almost can see the teams love to play the Jets because Joey Bosa and Mac and Tula Pilotu like they can rack up sack numbers. The secondary, which has been a disaster this year, can fly around and make big hits. I think Alloie Gillman does add something to this team. He came back last week and he's a real player there at safety. But there there's kind of a frenzy of like, ooh, we can really tee off. I haven't seen a charge of defense. I can even do that against bad defenses in a while. So that's that's progress. But I think it gives a defense a lot of confidence when you just start the game like that.
Speaker 6: And Dan, I think it's ominous that all this was taking place while Arnold Schwarzenegger was introducing the nation and an international audience to his pet Donkey. It just seemed like too many things were happening at once here.
Speaker 2: You know, I'll take this step further. Even before that first series, Greg, they showed Wilson coming out of the tunnel before kickoff, and it's it's like, this is not a starting quarterback who's going to be successful.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna say he looks scared. He just looked.
Speaker 2: He just looked like he was about a million miles away from New Jersey and certainly not someone that was about to step on the field and make plays, and he didn't. And I just I want because I think these things get flattened out and it's gonna be like, oh, you know, you're just saying everything's on the quarterback. It's not only on the quarterback. There are a lot of things wrong with this team. To Mark's point, I think one thing that's been made clear, uh, through these eight weeks is that the Jets offense was flawed in a lot of ways. And Rogers I don't think was gonna ride in and make this a top ten offense. I think that would have been a storyline around this team if he was there. But even if he doesn't blow his achilles on the fourth play, which is just rotten luck, what's the chances he's healthy at this point of the season with this offensive line, which was started out as a question mark, then it got snowed under by injury. So I just I struggle to take the Jets seriously. They might hang around because of that defense and steal a couple more games, but this is what it looks like when they the defense, as good as it played today, didn't have those big turnovers. This is what it can look like because the offense is that bad. And it was just as bad last week against the Giants. Uh, And I don't give them any automatics going further, going further next week, what it's gonna be Billy Turner against Max Crosby.
Speaker 5: Good luck to that, Good luck man.
Speaker 4: You don't want Yeah, you don't want to lose to Pierce and O'Connell. But who knows. They're a team that I feel like is going to be in every game. And despite the final score, they were in this That's the crazy thing about it is they held Justin Herbert in the Chargers, so I know have been struggling. I think it's fair to say the Chargers aren't a good offense at this point.
Speaker 5: I can't take them seriously either.
Speaker 4: They were a good offense. Yeah, for the first month of the season. They've lost Mike Williams, they've lost Joshua Palmer, and they haven't been a good offense now for about five weeks. So that's a pretty long stretch here. They had the good, pretty good game against the Bears, but even that was like a half, and it was against the Bears, but they held Herbert to three point four or the Charges to three point four yards per play. It was actually better when they ran the ball. It was three point one yards per pass per dropback there for the Chargers, so like they got one drive, it was an eight minute drive at the end of the third quarter into the fourth quarter where they hit four straight third and it felt like old school Chargers in that it was like run two yards, run negative one yards. And then Herbert hits a nice throw on third and nine, and they did that for about three throws and then Keenan Allen made the one exciting offensive play of the night with that jumping catch and great a great Charger goes over ten thousand yards for his career, which is pretty cool, second all time in team history. He has said he really wants to pass Antonio Gates. He's got a shot to do it. He would probably have to play two more years. Like that was the nicest offensive moment of the night. But then that was it, and they, you know, their drives stopped right there too, like most of their drives stopped. The difference was they weren't like giving up twenty yards and getting blown out of field goal range. They would just stay in field goal range and they would hit their little field goal and they only scored thirteen points on offense.
Speaker 2: It was the feeling when you're as you're watching the game, like the Chargers were like almost like will hunting on the chalkboard, trying to figure out some type of equation, what that will allow them to let the Jets back in the game, and they were just like, we can't. We want to charge of this and make it come down to the last drive, but there's no mathematical possibility that the Jets as they're currently constituted right now will make this interesting. So they're like, all right, I guess we'll just win twenty seven.
Speaker 6: I I with you. I mean I thought, I honestly thought that, Like I don't recall too many games where I thought that. Justin Herbert, I mean, he was floating through a dark dream during the first part of this. It's like, that's what's so frustrating to me. It's like, great for Keenan Allen, I'm happy for him, but that's what the Chargers are. It's like these these benchmark statistical moments for these players, the team achieves nothing on the whole, and like justin Herbert tonight, like this is what's so frustrating about this experience. The Jets defense took a great quarterback and made them look completely lost for big chunks of this game and it amounts to nothing. I just find that so frustrating. Like, I mean, we haven't seen I had not seen a game with Justin Herbert at the helm like that, and the Jets can do that, and they've done that to multiple quarterbacks and that's where we're left, and it's like, you know what, Sorry, it's like it's with no one's a lot of say thing about Nathaniel Hackett now because it was unpopular what happened to him a couple of months ago, but like, where is the creativity help this tee?
Speaker 5: You could you could criticize it, and well, I know.
Speaker 6: I know, you know what I mean. Though, it's like I thought that was it was way too severe, like when it happened, and like he's he's he seems like a wonderful guy. So it's like it's not the first person I want to like take aim At. I just want to fly around like a butterfly exactly like I like him. But like there's just there's just like no answer.
Speaker 5: He's many problems with that offense, no doubt, So I don't want to.
Speaker 6: I don't want to keep going on the same road. But it's just like it's so frustrating to watch a great NFL defense, which is very rare in twenty twenty three, capsized and left on an island the way they are.
Speaker 4: I know, when when it was Huff and Jermaine Johnson, I was thinking, I'm with you, maybe Salah's not a difference making coach, but I was thinking of the difference between him and Staley, who were hired the same year. They're both third year head coaches, both a little n battled, could you know, use a playoff run or a nice season, and at least Sala like you see his imprint. You see what they are. You see the vision on defense, and you see that they were able to build that vision and a lot of it's with you know, new players like Johnson and Huff has become a good player under him, and it's like they have something that's his. Staley is a defensive coach and you're you're not really sure what he is because their offense is always changing and like so Salah has something.
Speaker 5: To hold on to.
Speaker 4: The problem is that their offensive line is the what their GM is trying to build and that's been a total disaster four years in. I guess, and you know that's it.
Speaker 2: My salad thing is more. I think he's a little more sizzle than steak. I think one guy doesn't get enough credit is Jeff Olbrick, their defensive coordinator, And they have so much talent on that side of the ball. Like, if the defense wasn't balling out, Sala would be the worst coach.
Speaker 5: In the league.
Speaker 2: But I just think his leadership, I don't know, sometimes at least something that be his And I like these they are dreadful. They're even worse than the Giants in the first quarter in terms of scoring opposition They're they're minus three trillion about And I don't know. I just think there's a lot to be concerned about right now where we are this Monday night. Is a Jets fan, there's a lot to be concerned about. The only the only good thing before we take a break, The only thing I could take out of tonight is like Jets fan misery, big w over Chargers gonna Chargers Nation, Like in terms of like what it sucks to be uh, it definitely sucks way worse to be a Jets fan than a Chargers fan at least tonight. Tonight we got that w take that Charger is gonna Charger. We showed you what it's really all about to be miserable just in the season.
Speaker 5: Baby damn. Let's take a break. All right? That was great. I love that We're.
Speaker 2: Gonna keep on talking football, So let's move and hit some news. What happened in the NFL since we last spoke with you. And by the way, before we get to the news, every Monday, we do an NFL Plus Game of the Week special and you could get that on NFL Plus with a subscription here in the states. Outside the country, I believe we're on Doaz own. I hope we're on his own. We better be on his own.
Speaker 4: Tell us if you're watching us on his zonne, let us know.
Speaker 5: Yes, please let us know.
Speaker 2: We broke down the Eagles versus Cowboys banger and watched it and had a good mark.
Speaker 5: We had a good time doing it, didn't we.
Speaker 6: I think that it's, you know, an exercise that we've been working on weekly. I thought today was the most fun yet. And it was a thorny game with lots of plot points, and you know, we went at it in multiple ways.
Speaker 4: So like those two teams definitely feel like they're in a different league than the Chargers and the Jets, and they are. They're in a league of like teams that could win the Super Bowl. And that was now what we saw tonight.
Speaker 5: True contenders.
Speaker 2: Correct, And this is actually a free trial week for NFL Plus, so you can access that. We'll send out a link on atn's handle. All right, let's start with the Cardinals. Head coach Jonathan Gannon said, Kyler Murray will start in Week ten against the Falcons. That from our own Omar Ruiz or buddy, what a good guy Omar is. If all goes well in practice this week, that's the one, you know disclaimer there, as long as he doesn't have a setback with his knee, he's going to take reps with the starters and he will make his debut against the Falcons.
Speaker 6: Mark your thoughts, well, I just I you know, for me, I came into the season thinking he might be traded, They might find a way to cajole us into believing that there was a reason to sit him the entire season because of their tank situation. But you know what they have like already two number one picks and a second and I think three thirds and a fourth and multiple fifths, so they're well stocked. And I think if any from another angle, if you're Jonathan Gannon, you're the coaching staff, like a post Cliff Kingsbury view at what Kyler Murray can be in this offense, with this team, with this roster is good self scouting. And from another angle, if he plays well, if you wanted to move on, like move on from him and like pick up a different quarterback in the draft, you can elevate his trade value if he plays well. So I kind of see from another angle competitive angle, because the Cardinals have from the beginning sort of said we're gonna try to win these games. Are roster is not going to allow us to do that. But I think about a month end of the year, I was like, yeah, I think they're gonna play Kyler Murray. And I think as soon as they feel he's ready to go, let's go for the ride and see where we end wind up. In January.
Speaker 4: It's at an interesting time though I did not necessarily think Kyler Murray was gonna play this year, and I'm glad to be proven wrong. Maybe those cynical thought. They have the number one overall picked as of this recording, and there's two quarterback prospects in this class, Kayleb Williams and Drake May that you know coming into the draft are probably going to be higher touted than any quarterback of the last two years, at least, like they would have been higher than In Stroud and Bryce Young. And they're real deal one two type of guys. Kyler Murray is probably good enough to get them out of that top two where they won't even have a chance to necessary to take us. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it won't be. This team is pretty rough and they're pretty injured. Their running backs are all injured, Michael Wilson, they're nice rookie receivers injured, Zach Ertz is injured. Like it's a terrible defense. Like they're still a mess. Maybe they will have a top two pick.
Speaker 2: But they could chase Kyler Murray and get a number one there or two and then wheel and deal to try and move up the board.
Speaker 5: They're different fare Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's true, Like they could have the five overall pick and if Kyler Murray's available, it's true, but it does you know, certainly integrity, and I think a genuine belief that they want Kyler Murray to be their future quarterback is what the point I'm trying to get to. And I think they would love him to play well and make them feel good about having Kyler Murray, which makes sense, makes sense?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I hear it.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's a nice sample size for them, although it should be to be fair to Kyler Murrady, expect the guy come back from reconstructive knee surgery.
Speaker 5: I don't know what.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't judge him too harshly on how the next nine weeks go or whatever, but they get another look at him before making a huge franchise decision. The Giants made a huge franchise decision when they gave Danny Dimes a one hundred and sixty million contract dollar contract extension.
Speaker 5: This offseason, and one of.
Speaker 2: The worst seasons in recent franchise history, hit its rock bottom moment on Monday when it was confirmed that Jones tore is acl in the loss to the Raiders. Tyrod Taylor's out at least three more games with his rib injury, so it will be there is the kid Tommy de Vito starting. Let's listen to Dable.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well we have de Vito Barkley's on a practice squad, and you know we haven't been back for We've been back for less than twelve hours. So you know, I have some meetings today with Joe as a day goes on, and we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I think Tommy did a good job.
Speaker 8: But again, I'm not going to give you one thing, and it's a different thing. I have confidence in Tommy. He's done a good job. But I, you know, I sit down and talk with Joe and figure out what's next.
Speaker 5: Greg.
Speaker 2: The Giants are steaming toward four and thirteen, which is going to give them a top five pick as well.
Speaker 5: Daniel Jones.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was one hundred and sixty one hundred and sixty million dollar extension, but there's only one year left of guaranteed money after this year, so they are very much in position to go after a QB as well.
Speaker 4: Right, and Danny Dimes, Yeah, he's guaranteed thirty five million next year, so he's he's either on the roster or you're just eating that or or trading that and paying for it if you got a topic. But I don't know that they might be in the in the position right after the Bears. Now the Bears owned the Panthers pick. The two of them play each other, which is bizarre on Thursday night, and so they own both of those picks, so they have a good chance. But you throw the Giants in there, you throw the Cardinals in there, maybe the Patriots, And this is a really strong top three too, because Marvin Harrison's son is like another generational receiver pick, but he's probably going top three too, And like, these picks are gonna be valuable. And the Giants, who knows they to me, they're the team I could see of all those teams that might not win a game the rest of the season if they're starting to Vito or Barkley. Sounded like he was leaving a little room there to maybe switch to Barkley, which which is possible, but I'm not sure that's gonna make much of a difference.
Speaker 6: I think, like it's pretty interesting that Brian Dable was hired to be a QB whisper, But he's telling the nation with a bit of a smarmy look on his face that Tommy DeVito played pretty well, So something fishy is going on. Here, and I kind of like it. If you're a Giants fan, you've got to get through two tough months. But what they're trying to do is tell you we're gonna have a whole different quarterback that you never even heard of in the pro system in a couple months. He's gonna be one of the top college quarterbacks around. That's what Brian Dables.
Speaker 2: Is it smarmy or do you mean more? Was it like the I mean that has the canary in its mouth like a.
Speaker 6: Little yeah, just sort of like sitting there like, yo, I think listen, guys, like I know what I'm talking about. And Tommy DeVito looked pretty good out there. It's like, I'm sorry, Like if you're a child that's been watching football for twelve months, you know that's not the case. But we'll all sitting buy it.
Speaker 5: Well, what's he going to say? Mark?
Speaker 6: I know? But like, but I think because I think the larger plan is gets through a terrible nuclear winner and you come out in the spring with one of the top college quarterbacks and Brian Dables back sitting on the throne.
Speaker 4: Well it's crazy though, coming off that Jones contract. I mean it is I feel bad for Daniel Jones of course with that injury, because it was as ugly at season that could be, and he was bruised and battered. And now we're at the point where it's like, is Daniel Jones ever going to play for the Giants again? Maybe not if they get the top five pick, and if he is available, think of those teams, like who would be available off the teams justin fields, Kyler Murray, maybe Daniel Jones, maybe Mac Jones for your third round pick. You know, like I don't know, I don't know what he would really fetch in the market, but a lot of quarterbacks could be available.
Speaker 5: Saucy Zach Wilson.
Speaker 2: In other news, the Vikings not a surprise here. They planned to start Joshua Dobbs against the Saints after his three touchdown relief effort against.
Speaker 5: Who's against the Falcons? I believe who and they get Kyler.
Speaker 4: They're just kind of in the crosshairs of all these Cardinals Qbs.
Speaker 2: So that is logical and we'll see what Dobbs can do with some more reps. Behind the scenes there bad news for cam Akers, who came back from an achilles injury actually became the first guy ever to tear his achilles and then not miss an entire year back for the Super Bowl with the Rams a couple of years ago, but now tore's achilles again with the Vikings, and he is obviously out for the season and a running back two achilles. Taras h you don't. You hate to say it, but the chances are we might not see cam Akers around anymore.
Speaker 5: But good luck to him.
Speaker 2: And finally, Taylor Heineke, he will remain the starter for the Atlanta Falcons.
Speaker 5: I guess he did enough.
Speaker 2: To convince Arthur Smith that he is the better option than Desmond Ritter.
Speaker 5: I believe Arthur Smith shaved his mustache. Let's let's listen into Artie.
Speaker 10: Going to this week. We'll call with Taylor this week and you'll kind of reassess after this week going into the bye. Uh, you know, there's always things to work on. You know, he's played the last six six quarters, and you know he scored forty eight points with him back there. Uh, absolutely one more than that. But it's just that'll be the plan which week.
Speaker 5: I mean, I can't take him seriously, but God, go ahead.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, like hold on, I will say one thing for him, he had created a somewhat edgy, edgier version of himself, looks wise, and he went back to he now looks like his own dad. Like I liked what he had going on before, So I'm not but.
Speaker 4: You need to be maybe you need to be winning. Like he hasn't earned that mustache. He wasn't speaking with as much huts by either. I feel like now he's kind of backpedaling.
Speaker 2: Didn't his father is any a billionaire that founded FedEx.
Speaker 6: No, but I'm saying he maybe looks like his Well, first of all, it doesn't help when you take the older look, which he just did there, and you've got this gigantic like IBM, like they're sponsored by IBM. It's like IBM just reminds us of like dads from the eighties and nineties. So don't love that. But like Arthur Smith seemed very morose there, a little downtrodden. I think that his you know, words of wisdom to the press have fallen on deaf ears. Finally, there's a lot of people, you know, riled up about what he's had to say, and I think he's, you know, it's gotten back to him.
Speaker 4: I think they have a buy coming up. So at some point we're probably gonna see Desmond Ridder again this season, but ultimately Arthur Smith hopes we don't because that means Taylor Heineke is on a heater and they don't have to go back to him. But most likely we will see Desmond Ritter again at some point.
Speaker 5: Let's take a look at Arthur Smith's dad. Let's see what a billionaire looks like.
Speaker 4: We have a picture that's Fred.
Speaker 2: Smith right there. Yeah, it looks like a guy that makes decisions that are successful in terms of the bottom line.
Speaker 5: Looks like a guy that stays in the black.
Speaker 6: Looks rich.
Speaker 2: Jamar Chase, good job, you're muffsmark A good job by Chris Collinsworth on the Sunday Night Football telecast. Jamar Chase went up for a ball in the second half of their win against the Bills and came down wickedly hard. That makes me think of the John Travolta introducing Dina Menzel at the Grammys a couple of years ago, or maybe it was the Oscars, and he butchered her name, and he knew he was in trouble as he's reading the teleprompter, and you could see a flash over his face. Oh my god, I don't know how to say her name. So he kind of slows down and goes the wiki lit Dean Menzie. Can we find that Eric? That's a good way to close the show. Can you find John Travalta introducing the Frozen Chick at an award show?
Speaker 5: Anyway?
Speaker 2: Chris Collinsworth good dude at calling games. Sometimes, as Chase hits the turf hard and lands on his back, Collinsworth, a former wide receiver, says I could tell you he's gonna crawl out of bed tomorrow after that because he had done it himself. Jamar Chase said on Monday, I'm a lit that's the best thing right now, which sounds like a guy that literally probably crawled out of bed with sore ribs and back and uh it's it looks like we're not sure if we're even gonna see him on the field for Week ten's game against the Texans.
Speaker 4: It's a fun little game too. I know it's a little early to get into our previous Bill Stroud, little Joe Burrow, you know, former Ohio State legends. Texans have made this season more interesting, but yeah, we need we need to bar Chase out there for that game to.
Speaker 2: The Browns moved Jedrick Wills to injured reserve, a tough one out six weeks with a knee injury. Mark, what does that do to their offensive line?
Speaker 6: He's been up and down for a couple of seasons in a row. They'll plug in James Hudson, who you know played a little bit obviously this past weekend, has played before for them. I guess for me, I feel like the Browns are one of the few teams that have an O line co coach and Bill Callahan that can kind of like could probably take the three of us and have us be somewhat serviceable for a couple of snaps if need be.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 6: I it's they've they you know, they lost their right tackle, They've now lost their left tackle. That would do most lines. Cleveland has a little bit more help because of the special sauce with their coaching. But you're getting close to the edge.
Speaker 4: Were you watching this game tonight, because you've been very pro Jets on the podcast, Mark, was.
Speaker 6: I watching it? I mean like, no, no, no.
Speaker 4: I've gotten to what I'm asking When you were watching.
Speaker 5: It got to the punchline yet, fair point?
Speaker 4: Were you thinking Okay, I've been saying the Jets have some magic to them. I've been rooting on, rooting them on, I want them to win. Or were you thinking, well, if the Jets lose, I go to sleep tonight and the Browns still own that seventh spot, the entire AFC North is locked into the playoff seating as of week nine.
Speaker 6: I wasn't projecting out that are Yeah, I was just attempting to get through this viewing. I think most fans were because just to your point, you know, like the game that we want rewatched today Cowboys Eagles felt like kind of football royalty in terms of drama and what you'd want out of a Week nine game in the NFL, and this was the polar opposite. Can be.
Speaker 4: Sorry to bring I'm asking.
Speaker 6: I'm answering the question, Hey, what about that Darius Davis.
Speaker 4: Nice little ball player, you know.
Speaker 6: But no, I wasn't dreaming of playoffs standings at this point for anyone, and nor do I. And I'm I think you're attaching me to something that I don't totally.
Speaker 5: Need to be being a stinky Davis.
Speaker 2: Yes, Finally, in the news, sometimes Greg throws things in the news and they make sense in his head. But I have no question to it. You Jeeves Press Colon. We want to be the world's team. I don't know who that is, what that is. Oh, that's the president of the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 5: I think so.
Speaker 4: I just thought you were I would. I just thought it was very grande. No, it wasn't Clark Hunt, though it was. It was like some executive like a no.
Speaker 5: I mean, if it's not Clark Hunt, what are we doing?
Speaker 4: He says, Because you know they're doing the Germany game. I guess they owned the NFL rights or they're one of the teams that owns the rights to promote themselves in Germany. You have to like negotiate and pay for all this. I think the Jets are one of the teams for instance in the UK. Am I right about that they're there? Yeah, and so maybe they'll be giving up a home game every other year to go play overseas. And he said, we we don't want to be America's team, we want to be the world's team. That they that they wouldn't be doing a service to their organization if they didn't take advantage of this moment in time, with the success and with the players. These were his words to not try to become the world's team. And I just thought that might be a fun little piece of meat to end this podcast on this grandiosity from the Chiefs to be the world's team.
Speaker 2: This is how like company presidents get the four hundred thousand dollars bonus and the Jaguars like they just think up these things and it comes with some type of one hundred page report that they have an underling work up that features a bunch of bar graphs and arrows pointing up and explanations how we can make this thing that we have into something much much more lucrative. And I'm sure this is one of the data points and bullet points of that presentation that earned him four hundred and seventy seven thousand dollars on top of his salary.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like it's the it's straight, it's direct from it's a rocket ship from the middle manager playbook. He executed it well. And you know, I think we've seen through some of these plans in our own career.
Speaker 2: See they and he's not a middle manager, he's a president apparently, but they have the same, you know playbook. It's just when the higher you go up, like the certain initiatives actually end up, you know, reaching the masses and and and you know, now we'll.
Speaker 5: See if the Chiefs become truly the world's team. Good luck to me.
Speaker 4: Those were his words, And to be clear, it was Chief's President Mark Donovan who did admit. It can sound a little arrogant, but the opportunity exists to become the world's team. We feel like this is our era.
Speaker 2: Well they when you got the quarterback that you do. Yeah, but why don't we start with America and then see if we can Conquergall.
Speaker 4: Forget Chiefs Kingdom. It's it's Chief's universe because in the country, I think.
Speaker 6: He was quoted at probably from like a German beer garden where everything felt real right in the moment, you know.
Speaker 5: All right, let's let's get uh, let's go out thus lee Uh.
Speaker 2: This is John Travolta at the Academy Awards, I believe about nine years ago.
Speaker 9: There will always be a special place in my heart for the movie musical and for the songs that create their most memorable moments here to perform. The Oscar nominated gorgeously empowering song let It Go from the Oscar winning animated movie Frozen. Please welcome the wickedly talented one, and only.
Speaker 4: It's worse than I thought.
Speaker 5: The wickedly.
Speaker 4: He said, Adele does em, which is pretty far from Adina Menzel.
Speaker 5: The wicked let talented adele m.
Speaker 6: But Dan, how do you not go into that assignment knowing the name?
Speaker 4: Or I mean you think you think Jod Travolta is doing a lot of prep work for his uh thirty second read at I don't know now, I do not. I think he's showing up. He's seeing that thing for the first.
Speaker 5: Time, all right, you know. And I love Travolta, like he's just one of my guys. I always root for him. But uh, that was good.
Speaker 9: One. That was good.
Speaker 2: And by the way he finally gave it up. By the way, he was like the uh speaking of presidents, he was the president, he.
Speaker 5: Was the CEO. He was the Emperor of hair Plug, hair plug and or whig nation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if I eventually he was just like you know what, and it just he went clean and he's got the lex luthor.
Speaker 5: Look.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've been bald for I think four or five, six seven years at this point.
Speaker 4: Something he once drove next to me on Sunset Boulevard in Brentwood when I was like twenty two, and I thought, well, this is very la. There's troy Don Travolta and I'm here driving on Sunset Boulevard. I heard that a little just a little story with me that.
Speaker 2: Reminded me of driving on the one oh one with my brother when he was visiting Kevin Danger and uh Aj the bad boy from Backstreet Boys kind of pulled up in traffic next to us and my brother was like, yeah, bro, Aj rock on and he just like.
Speaker 5: Threw him up deuces and then like zoomed off. It was awesome.
Speaker 4: Wait a good Danger all right?
Speaker 2: Uh see, how well I'm taking the Jet loss. It's it's fine, Like there's nothing to get upset about. It's they are what they are, a deeply flawed team. And and to Jet fans out there that are are saying, just no, eight more games of Zach Wilson and then we're.
Speaker 6: You can take away the takeaway for Greg and I and the listeners that you're an ultra professional, So immense respect coming back to you. And again, are you saying that.
Speaker 5: I am the wikily talented profession.
Speaker 6: I think I'm saying that, Yeah, the wickedly.
Speaker 5: In play us out with Javalta one more time. Eric, We'll see you.
Speaker 2: Check out NFL Plus it's a free preview, and we'll see you on Wednesday with Connie Fox.
Speaker 9: There will always be a special place in my heart for the movie musical and for the songs that create their most memorable moments. Here to perform the Oscar nominated, gorgeously empowering song let It Go from the Oscar winning animated movie Frozen. Please welcome the wickedly talented one, and only does