Speaker 1: Bloomberg is now on your dashboard with Apple Car Play and Android Auto.
Speaker 2: It's free with the latest version of the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 1: It gives you access to every Bloomberg podcast, live audio feeds from Bloomberg Radio, plus hear the latest headlines at the click of a button with Bloomberg News.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: That's the Bloomberg Business App. Get it on your phone in the Apple App Store or on Google Play.
Speaker 1: Just download the app, connect your phone to your car, and get started. It's presented by our sponsor, Interactive Brokers.
Speaker 4: Good morning, I'm Nathan.
Speaker 2: Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 4: We begin with last night's election results and a major victory for abortion rights.
Speaker 1: In Ohio.
Speaker 4: Voters approved Issue one, which enshrines the right to abortion access in the state constitution, by a fifty six to forty four percent margin. Bloomberg Politics reporter Mark Niquette is in Ohio and has more.
Speaker 5: It passed pretty overwhelmingly. And what's going to get a lot of attention is this past in what has become a Republican state. And it's clear that this issue passed even in counties that Donald Trump carried pretty handily in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg's Mark Mniquette reports this makes Ohio the latest state to back abortion rights after last year's Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v.
Speaker 6: Wade.
Speaker 4: In the interest of transparency, we should note that Michael Bloomberg, founder and majority owner of Bloomberg Radio parent Bloomberg LP, donated a million dollars to the campaign supporting Ohio's abortion rights amendment.
Speaker 2: Well Nathan, It was also a good night for Democrats in Virginia, with every seat in the state legislature up for grabs. Democrats won majorities in both the House of Delegates and the state Senate. It's a blow to Republican Governor Glenn Youngkin. He's seen as a presidential contender in twenty twenty eight and had hoped to pass a fifteen week abortion band with GOP control. And in another major race, Democrat Andy Basher has won a second term as governor of Kentucky, a state former President Donald Trump carried by nearly twenty five points in twenty twenty.
Speaker 7: And In other.
Speaker 4: Political news, Karen Tonight in Miami, Republicans hold their third residential debate. Five candidates will take part. Ron de Santis, Sneaky Haley, Vivek Ramaswami, Tim Scott, and Chris Christy Well.
Speaker 2: Nathan notably absent, will be GOP front runner Donald Trump. Two days after the former president testified at his New York fraud trial, it's his daughter, Ivanka's turn to take the stand and Bloomberg's at Baxter has the story.
Speaker 8: The trial issue is whether Donald Trump inflated the worth of his properties to lenders and other business dealings. Ivanka Trump has pretty much disappeared from the public spotlight, opting to leave both New York and Washington, d C. For Miami, but part of what prosecutors want to look at as her role in several real estate transactions, as well as the valuation of her New York apartment, which they say was priced at about two and a half times the value ed Baxter Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 5: Okay, Ed, thank you.
Speaker 4: We now turn to the latest developments in the war in the Middle East. Israel says its troops have entered the middle of Gaza's main city. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia's Minister of Investment says talks toward normalization of time eyes with Israel remain on the table. Despite the Kingdom's criticism of Israeli military action. We spoke exclusively with Khalid Alfala.
Speaker 9: You know when those discussions were taking place, and his Royal Highds, the Crown Prince was clear that it is contingent on a pathway to peace for resolution of the Palestinian questions. That was on the table, that remains on.
Speaker 10: The table, and obviously the setback over the last month has brought that has clarified. Why was Saudi Arabia so adamant The resolution of the Palestinian conflict has to be part of a broader normalization in the Middle East.
Speaker 4: Saudi Investment Minister Khalid Alfala added his country is pained on a human level at the loss of life in Gaza and in Israel. He spoke at the Bloomberg New Economy Forum in Singapore.
Speaker 2: Well back in the US, Nathan, the House is voted to censure Democrat Rashida Tahlieb of Michigan for her rhetoric about the Israel Hamas war. Seager Mike Johnson presided over the vote.
Speaker 11: On this vote, the yea's are two hundred and thirty four and the nay's are one hundred eighty eight, with four answering present, the resolution is adopted.
Speaker 2: The House's action was an extraordinary rebuke of the only Palestinian American in Congress to leave defended her stance, saying she quote will not be silenced and I will not let you distort my words.
Speaker 4: Turning to markets now, Karen, the s and P five hundreds. Coming off seven straight days of gains, today, investors will wait more clues on interest rates from a host of Central Bank officials, including FED share J.
Speaker 12: Powell.
Speaker 4: Yesterday, FED Governor Christopher Waller commented on the recent jump in tenure yields since the.
Speaker 2: Beginning of July. This thing has gone way up, almost a full percentage point. I think in Central Bank terms of financial markets, that's an earthquake.
Speaker 4: Governor Chris Waller notes yields on ten yure treasuries have climbed more than one hundred basis points since the end of July.
Speaker 2: Well, earnings will also be on investors' minds. This after afternoon, we hear from Disney, Nathan and bloomberg Stown. Buzzby has a preview with strong revenue expected at its theme parks. Disney forecast report overall earnings growth for last quarter and to once again add subscribers to its flagship Disney Plus streaming service. Investors also watching any comment on when that streaming business will be profitable, the latest on spinning off its ESPN network into a separate streaming unit, and updates on selling off a ABC network and other non core media holdings. Bloomberg consensus calls for adjusted earnings per share of sixty nine cents revenue of twenty one point four to three billion dollars. Tom busby Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 4: Okay, Tom, thanks, and after the bell earnings to get you caught up on watching Shares of Robinhood They're down seven and to half percent in early trading. The online brokerage reported revenue that missed estimates. Bumble shares are down nine percent, a day after announcing it would replace its CEO. The dating app reported worse than expected revenue guidance. Rivian Automotive shares are up six and a half percent, the ev makers raising its forecast for overall production this year, and forgive me but shares of Toast are Toast this morning they are down seventeen and a half percent. The restaurant software company lowered the upper range of its full year revenue forecast, and.
Speaker 2: It is time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's John Tunker. John.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Good morning Karen. In history made in the City of Brotherly Love. Among the results of Tuesday's election, Democrat Cherrel Parker won Philadelphia's mayoral election. Parker becomes the first female mayor of the city.
Speaker 13: No matter where we went, our message stayed the same.
Speaker 6: And guess what I.
Speaker 13: Learned during that time Philadelphia that people were yearning for authenticity.
Speaker 6: Parker won with seventy four percent of the vote. Another first in the nation, Small Estate Democrat gave Mo defeated Republican Jerry Leonard to win Rhode Island's first congressional district seat and become that state's first black candidate elected to Congress.
Speaker 14: The journey of so many Rhode Islanders and their families is one of brit hard work, determination and resilience. And I stand on the shoulders of so many who came before me to make this day possible.
Speaker 6: I will picked up sixty five percent of the vote there based on questions for the bench, A majority of justices on the Supreme Court appear inclined to uphold a federal gun ban on people who are under restraining orders for domestic violence. The Solicitor General, Elizabeth Prelogord defended the law. The constitutional principle is clear, you can disarm dangerous persons. The federal ban has been on the books for thirty years. We Works collapse is spreading through the battered commercial real estate industry, threatening to upend dozens of leases in cities including San Francisco and New York. That story from Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett.
Speaker 7: The co working giant spiral into bankruptcy, hit landlords along the way as it renegotiated and saw to exit many leases. Now Monday's bankruptcy filing and a plan to terminate nearly seventy of those contracts is set to exacerbate issues facing many of we Work's landlords. The tenant wants out and could have more power to leave. Office owners have been grappling with a slowdown spurred by higher borrowing costs that are pressuring building values, as well as a shift in tenant demand with a rise in remote work in New York. Charlie Pellett Bloomberg radio.
Speaker 6: And global news twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. I'm John Tucker and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 2: All right, John, thank you. It is time now to get a check of sports. But first we're going to tell you that you may bring your news throughout the day here on Bloomberg Radio. But now, as John said, you can get the latest news on demand whenever you want it. Subscribe to Bloomberg News Now to get the latest headlines at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg News Now on the Bloomberg Business Nopp, Bloomberg dot Com plus Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Now is Sports Hears John stash Hour, John Karon.
Speaker 15: The college basketball season is underway and it begins with Kansas ranked number one. The Jayhawks had a season opening win on Monday, and the day after, they restructured the contract of their longtime coach Bill Selph. He's won two national championships, he's already in the Hall of Fame, and self's new contract means that he surpasses John Caliperi. He's now the highest paid coach in college hoops, Baylor being Auburn eighty eight eighty two, a win for Saint John's playing for the first time of their new coach, another Hall of Famer Rick Patino. There was no NBA. There's some big ones tonight. It's the Celtics and Sixers in Philadelphia. Both teams are five and one, Philly's four and oh at home Denver the defended NBA Champs seven and.
Speaker 7: One, five and oh at home.
Speaker 15: And tonight welcoming in the Golden State Warriors. San Jose Sharks finally got a win. It was two to one over Philadelphia. That's their first win of the season and it comes in their twelfth game. Tennessee Titans say they will stick with rookie quarterback Will Levis even when the incumbent QV Ryan Tannehill returns from his ankle injury. Lev Is very impressive in his first Star with he threw four touchdown passes. They drafted him in the second round out of Kentucky. Kyler Murray's going to make his season debut for Arizona on Sunday, back from the torn acl suffered last season. Josh Dobbs not surprisingly becomes the starter in Minnesota. He was pressed into duty last Sunday because of an injury to the rookie quarterback who went down, and Dobbs rallied the Vikings to victory. Of course, they've lost Kirk Cousins for the season. John Stanshleyer Bloomberg.
Speaker 12: Sports from coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Syrias XAM, the Bloomberg Business Appen Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 4: We want to get you know, more results from last night's off off year elections. Abortion rights may have been officially on the ballot in just one state, but the issue may have driven voters in races beyond that state, Ohio, and into Virginia and perhaps beyond for more. We're joined now by Bloomberg News Senior editor Bill Ferries. Bill, Good morning. It was a pretty overwhelming result for Issue one in Ohio. Does that results have residents into next year's election?
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I think for Democrats who have been really trying to get the party to focus on abortion rights, they're all seeing what they would call victories in Ohio, Kentucky, and even Virginia last night, and I think they're going to say that that is a positive way forward for them looking into twenty twenty four after what is probably many would say has been a tough week looking at Paul showing President Biden perhaps lagging former President Trump in a number of the key swing states. So this is something I think, given the results last night, you're going to hear Democrats talking a lot more about in the coming months that abortion.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: That result in Virginia in particular is pretty interesting because the Republican governor there, Glenn Youngkin, who's been talked about as a potential presidential candidate not just in twenty twenty eight but in this cycle as well, had campaigned pretty hard on this idea that if Republicans took over the state legislature, that a fifteen week abortion ban could be passed in Virginia. What does this result for Democrats winning in Virginia mean for Youngkin's political prospects.
Speaker 3: Well, for Democrats, I think it's a big sigh of relief that the Virginia still came in I think on their side and looks like both chambers are going to be in Democratic hands going into the going into next year. For Young Kin, I think it's going to be it's going to make that idea that he could be some sort of last minute candidate if for some reason Donald Trump is not in the race, it starts to rule that out. He has a much weaker hand facing Democrats in both chambers in terms of being able to get his policies passed and dominating the agenda. I think Democrats are going to try to set the tone once they take their seats. It does, you know, it's still I think the idea that Youngkin could could be a candidate in twenty twenty eight is also tested a little bit. It's so early to even be talking about that at this point. But if you're a potential yet we do. If you're a potential candidate looking that far ahead, you think about the agenda you want to set, the accomplishments, the legislative accomplishments you'd like to have. And I think this makes that a lot harder for someone like Governor Youngkin to plan out and game out ahead of that election. You know, almost five years from now.
Speaker 4: You mentioned Democrats potentially talking more about abortion rights into this election cycle. What about the economy that's been an issue that this president has struggled to gain traction on. Does abortion override economic issues for voters in this election cycle?
Speaker 3: You know, that's the economy is often the deciding factor for a lot of voters going into the polling booth. I think there are definitely voters on both sides who would view abortions as the key issue, the biggest thing, the most important thing to them. But in the end, you know, I think the economy is often what swings voters either way, particularly those independent voters in the middle. If heading you know, in the months heading into November twenty twenty four, they're feeling better than they are now about the economy, that probably benefits the incumbent of the Biden administration. If they're feeling worse, and there's a lot of signs that, you know, the economy could be struggling more next year than it is this year, then that makes it I think a harder slog for a president and his team to argue that they should remain in place. So it's the economy, you know, it's that Carville saying it's the economy stupid. I think that that's always going to be, if not the biggest, one of the biggest factors. We know that voters right now are not very pleased with where things are, even if some of the numbers are perhaps better better than forecast.
Speaker 4: In the time we have left, Bill, I want to talk about geopolitics and the latest in the Israel Hamas war, with Israeli troops getting gaining ground in Gaza City and now the G seven commenting what's the latest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we heard from Israel, Israel's defense ministers today saying that their forces are now in the heart of Gaza City. You know they've been they've kind of encircled Gaza at this point, and they say they're going after key Hamas leaders and trying to destroy some of the tunnel networks and the weapons depots that have been built up there. And the G seven coming out today, the foreign ministers coming out with a unified statement saying that there should be humanity pauses in the war. That's of course separate from a ceasefire. But Israel, who's even pushed back on the idea of some of the pauses, saying that eight is getting in and any pause would only benefit Hamas. So lots of complicated politics going on there.
Speaker 1: Still, This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: And I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg Daybreak