Speaker 1: Hey, what is up everybody? Welcome to the Giftias Charge Podcast. My name is Steven and I am the host and as joining me as always is my guy Tyler. Tyler, what's that man? How you doing today?
Speaker 2: Fantastic boy?
Speaker 3: I like when the Chargers win. I love when the Chargers win. It is so much better and it's especially sweet when it's on primetime and the whole panel of media members picks the Chargers to lose. Oops didn't work out, did it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It certainly did not. The national narratives are are fun today. Suddenly the Jets defense is really bad and Justin Herbert should have thrown for three hundred yards. I guess last night certainly had a lot of fun watching that game. We'll talk about a lot of it today. The Charges are officially at the halfway point of their season, so we have some bigger picture conversations as well. Today should be a fun show, as always presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. Tyler and I are fans of the team first and foremost who have been giving this platform that we are very grateful for. But the opinions that we share on this show are just out there. Our opinions, not the opinions of the Chargers organization, and yeah, we're excited to dive in today. So we'll start with our our truth segment as we always do, We'll hand out some game balls today, and then we wanted to kind of a zoom out looks at some bigger picture stuff today as the Chargers are officially back in the playoff hunt. So Tyler, we'll start with you here. What is your biggest truth or takeaway from the game against the New York Chess last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the truth for me is this, Darius Davis won the game for the Chargers with that touchdown, and literally because of the seven points they got was all they needed.
Speaker 2: But that touchdown was just such a gift for the offense and the defense.
Speaker 3: You know, you and I figured the charge would need two touchdowns, you know, maybe seventeen points to win this game. You get to seventeen, you're probably winning, and again they only needed seven, but he figured, Okay, going into the game, seventeen is what you need, and then Darius Davis just gave them seven. And it just felt like from there, the offense and the defense, you could just feel that the pressure was just off, especially on the offense. They didn't have to force things. They didn't have to.
Speaker 2: You know, Herbert did not have to be a hero.
Speaker 3: He did not have to throw multiple interceptions trying to push the ball down the field. And they had to score. They had to score. No, that wasn't the case. And the defense, I mean, it was like handing your kid one hundred dollars in a chuck e cheese and just saying, hey, go for it, Joey, have fun. And they did the defense. You know, we'll talk about the defense. I'm sure got to just pin their ears back and go and go have fun. And it wasn't just that they executed well, it's that you could tell they were playing faster and free and smart and physical, and you could just tell the defense was playing with house money. So the pressure was immediately off the offense to have to score all seventeen and the defense, I mean the Jets officially from a minute and forty five seconds into the game had to start playing catchup and they knew that they had to score, and so the defense just got to go great, thanks, Joey, bos is healthy too, We've got Mac, We've got Fox. Here we go, and everybody pitched it into the tune of I almost broke my neck and fell out of my chair looking at my screen again when I saw the stats for them forty pressures and eight sacks. I didn't think that was possible, but Darius Davis and getting the Chargers ahead and forcing the Jets to have to play catchup and the defense to play free made it possible. So Darius Davis both literally won with the game for the Chargers with the seven points. But also I don't think this score would have been as big of a difference the most the Jets have lost by all season if they don't have that punt return touchdown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'll get to some of the defensive stuff here in a second, But Dari's Davis. It wasn't just the touchdown. It was also the pun return right before the end of the first half. I think it was a fourteen fifteen yard return that gave the Chargers a really nice head start to that last thirty second drive. You know that Brandon City pointed out, gave them some real momentum heading into the locker room. They felt really great about where they were at. And he's becoming a legitimate weapon on special teams. He's not gonna get a ton of kick return opportunities. I think it's only two kick returns that he's been able to bring out so far. Obviously, the rule change has certainly paid played an impact there, but he's one of the best punk returners in the league right now. You know a guy that is consistently a threat to take the ball to the house, a consistently a twelve thirteen yard return kind of guy, as long as he has the kind of blocking that he needs. He actually said after the game that he felt bad because he felt like he could have had more touchdowns before last night. He felt like he owed his blockers a couple other touchdowns based off of the previous looks that he's been receiving. So you know, he's he's a guy that is just constantly looking to take the plays back to the house. He's constantly looking for ways to give his team an edge. After the draft, I interviewed a b reporter from TCU and he said, looking back at Darius Davis's career in college, it always seemed like his best punt returns were when the team really needed them the most, Like team really needs a spark, the offense is really struggling and Darius Davis just answers with a great punt return, and I think we've seen some of that so far in his career, and certainly on Monday Night against against the New York Jets, just a real X factor in the return game. Gave the Chargers in instantly, like you highlight, and then it also set up a super important field goal drive at the end of the first half. So Ryan Ficken in this special teams unit have really been fantastic, And you know a lot of people were kind of scratching their head a little bit and taking a returner in the fourth round and nights like Monday Night are exactly why you make that decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they crushed that pick to LESCo Kellen Moore, Ryan Ficken like them in particular with offense special teams and the selection crushed it. And you can only justify a player taking a player like that so early with the touches on offense and with of course being great on special teams. And not only do you have an explosive returner, he also a guy who was pretty explosive on offense too. Didn't get to see that on Monday Night, but we have seen that throughout the season, so it's just been a great pick.
Speaker 2: And look, Ryan Ficken, Primetime Ficken is.
Speaker 3: Becoming like a thing now for this team because you know Broncos last year, that big primetime game, that was a big special teams game, you know, the Cowboys against the Cowboys, they forced that fumble. Chargers didn't win that game, but that was huge for the team. And then of course last night and Monday Night Football, they Darrek David takes it to the house, Cameron Dicker kicks a fifty five yarder, like primetime Ficken and special teams is becoming a thing now.
Speaker 2: And I just don't remember.
Speaker 3: I know this isn't really my truth here what I'm talking about, but by extension, I don't remember the last time a Chargers phase of football was this maxed out. And I don't even just mean like the players are good and the special teams is good. You know, typically with the Chargers, let's say like Michael.
Speaker 2: Badgeley's good years recently, he was great.
Speaker 3: But they'd give up kick returns, punts were blocked, you know, etc.
Speaker 1: Etc.
Speaker 3: They're always issues. Maybe one or two guys were really good, but not the whole unit. Everybody's maxed out in this special teams unit, from the guys who you drafted late to the guys who sign on special teams a few weeks ago. You know your linebackers, your corners like you know your returners. Cameron Dicker now looks like the next great NFL kicker for the Chargers and really around the NFL like man like Ryan Ficken. Is just awesome, and I feel like the Chargers are close to losing him at some point to a head coaching maybe even job, because again, I don't recall the last time a special teams unit or even a phase of football for the Chargers was this well coached.
Speaker 2: He's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, turning around the Charger special teams unit is certainly a resume booster. Really quickly on camera, Dicker, because I do want to mention him, at least partially throughout today's show. Last night, against the Jets, he hit his fourth field goal of the season from fifty yards plus that ties the Chargers regular season record. Josh Lambeau hit four fifty yard field goals in twenty fifteen and Nick Novak hit four in twenty eleven. So Camra Dicker has the chance to break that record obviously anytime the Chargers play next. And so it's just been you know, Dustin Hopkins has been really good for the Cleveland Browns, but it's just been a win win situation because Cameron Dicker has been nails for the Chargers, and it's just it's so rare. Like my wife, brook is a is a new fan, Like she started to like the Chargers because I like the Chargers and she like, you know, she's she's been supportive of everything, and you know, she has been used to previous Chargers kicking issues, and now the camera Dicker's on the team, she like had no doubt that he was going to go out there and hit that fifty five yard and you know, Camera Dicker is just so clutch. He's he's also a legitimate weapon on special teams. You know, the Chargers have one of the best punt returners in LEE right now. They have arguably one of the best kickers in the league right now, and one of the best special teams coaches in the league. So it's just been it's been a winning edge for the Chargers and we've seen that time and time again. Like you mentioned, primetime ficking is really coming out, So it was it was great to see on Monday night football against the Jets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ton of fun.
Speaker 3: As I mentioned before the season, my health, my blood pressure depends on Cameron Dicker, and so thank you Cameron Dicker for doing it for all of us Chargers fans and just keeping me alive throughout the season. Steven, what is your truth after watching the film? Could it be about the defense?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's about these Chargers edg rushers. Man, this is the best trio of edg rushers in Chargers history. And I mean, like, obviously they've had Junior Sayout, They've obviously had Belviningham around here and Sean Merriman, but like a collective trio, we have not seen a trio like this in Chargers history in my opinion. Granted I was born in nineteen ninety four, so I don't really remember watching Junior say out, but that's just my opinion. Right now, the Chargers are the only team in the league with at least three edge rushers who have at least ten run stops. Randon Stey has highlighted run defense as a legitimately key turnaround and the edge rushers being kind of the catalyst for that, and I think we see that on a week to week basis with the way that these three individuals specifically are defending the run. They're getting some key contributions against the run from other players, for sure, but the three edge rushers are the absolute driving force of how the Chargers have turned around their run defense. We highlighted this a couple of weeks ago. Last season, they averaged one hundred and forty four yards allowed on the ground. This year that's at eighty nine point eight, and particularly in the last three games, it's at sixty eight yards and the edge rushers are absolutely the key there. You mentioned the forty pressures. Obviously not all on the edge rushers, but that amount of pressures was the Chargers record in the PFF era. The previous high heading into Monday Night football for the team was thirty one pressures, which they had a few times, most notably I think against the Houston Texans back in Week three of the twenty nineteen season. That was obviously Joey Melvin, Ingram and U Chenna and Wos who at their kind of peak of their power, so to speak. But forty total pressures is nine more than the previous record. Again, in the PFF era. So these Chargers edge rushers are setting the tone for what this defense can become. They are dominating people out there, and again, Joey Bosa looks as good as he ever has. In my opinion, I think going back to the twenty twenty season is really the last time I saw Joey Bosa rush with this kind of speed to power on a consistent basis. Whereas he where he is constantly putting offensive tackles in the lap of the quarterback. I don't think we've seen that in quite some time. Khalil Mack is having kind of a resurgence. You know, he looks fresh, he looks healthy, he looks explosive. I tweeted this out, but they had that sequence in that first half or the start of the second half. Excuse me. The Jets go all the way down to about the fifteen yard line. The Jets ran a max protect situation with two tight ends in to try and block Khalil double team's arrest across the rest of the way. Tu Lee beat a double team on one side, Khalil beat a double team on the other side, and they met at the quarterback. On the next play, Joey Bosa just bowl rushes Billy Turner puts him in Zach Wilson's lap and effectively ends that drive. The Jets kicked a field goal. But the Chargers edge rushers are playing at such a high level right now. They're feeding off of each other. The Chargers social media team obviously pointed out that Joey and Tooley are doing each other's celebrations and now it's combined. It's not just two Lee throwing up the tee or Joey doing the shrug, they both do both of them at the same time. Excuse me as I hit my mic there. I'm all fired up now. But this Chargers edg rusher group, man, it's fantastic. They're playing so well. You can try and discredit the opponents, but these are NFL offensive tackles. McKai Becton is no slouch. Billy Turner has played in the NFL for a very long time. Darneld Wright last week against the Bears a fantastic young rookie offensive tackle. So it's not like these edge rushers are having the easy matchups. The edge rushers are out here dominating and looking fresh, spry. I love the rotation right now. I just am so impressed with the way that these three individuals are playing and it is legit genimately the catalyst of how the Chargers are playing defense right now. And it's just been a treat to watch over the last few weeks.
Speaker 3: The chemistry and the energy I think is almost bigger than anything else. Besides anything else, like the way that they feed off each other is exciting. I mean, it is entertaining, if nothing else, for Chargers fans, just to see how excited Joey Bosa is to be out there playing football because he's been through a lot, you know, and it hasn't always been fun, you know, with the teams that he's been on. I think he would hope for maybe more wins or being a part of.
Speaker 2: More success, as all NFL players.
Speaker 3: Would, But then you have the injuries and you come back this season, you're injured again, you know, and everyone's saying you should cut you trade you whatever, You're not leaving up to expectations of the contract. Just to see him healthy again and having fun again is awesome, Like Joey is awesome when he's healthy, and to see him get back out there feed off of two Lee them feed off each other is one wonderful to see. And Tule, I really think has been the glue that has held everything together because they've been good with Touley and Joey or Tully and Mack or whatever, but guys have been heard or things haven't been working, and Tooley's always just been there to kind of fill in the gaps or wherever anything else isn't working out for the Chargers, Like when In's out, Tully will do something. Tully will come up with the play. And now everybody's healthy, everyone's feeding off of each other, everyone's performing excellent so far. And again I don't really care that, yes, I expected the Chargers defensive line to have a really good game, even if you thought they'd have a really good game, and you're discounting the Jets and you're saying that they're players on offense or their offensive line isn't great. Uh, nobody predicted forty pressures and I know that that's not just the edge group, but still, like these guys were dominating. It's awesome to see. And again, like Tully, Joey, Bosa, Khalil Mack, they have right now a championship caliber rush. Well, the rest of the defense. I'm not sure. Will the whole team be a championship caliber team, I'm not sure. But that is a kind of rush, That is a kind of trio that can get you into the postseason and win games. And I really wish we had seen the Chiefs game and the Cowboys game with all three of these guys officially fully healthy, because I think that we've seen the difference in.
Speaker 2: The last two weeks.
Speaker 3: It's now up to them next week against the Lions to really prove that this rush is actually truly legit and here to stay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, you have a much more difficult matchup this week. For sure. The Lions are an absolute unit. You have Pine Sewel and Taylor Decker as the offensive tackles. You know, Frank Ragna potentially coming back for that team on Sunday, But well we'll get to that in a little bit, I suppose. But this these three players, man, it's just like they feed off of each other. They spark the team, and when they're all healthy and out there, you can just really create mismatches because you know, yes, the Lions and these other teams have good offensive but the way that Tuley is able to give them flexibility. Joey can kick inside, Kalil will kick inside. Morgan Fox is having a great season as well. They're just able to isolate mismatches and frankly, like they don't really need to blitz anymore. Like last season. The the blitz packages where I think the best part of the defense last year, at least from a schematic standpoint, Now like you don't even you don't even have to blitz. You can just win with four on third downs. Daniel Popper pointed this out the the trio of edge rushers have been on the field. Shoot, I should have had this out, That's my mistake. But right now, the the trio of edg rushers when they're on the field have a success rate a sack rate of twenty five percent, which is incredible. It's an insane statistic to look at that. Eric Smith of the Chargers has also pointed out that the Chargers lead the league in sacks on third down. You've talked about a lot from like the fan perspective of how deflating can be, you know, when you just don't have that kind of confidence. But now and if the Chargers get into a third and long situation. My expectation is that the pass rush is going to get home and affect things. And it's just it's changed how I've viewed this defense, and I think it's changed how they have viewed this defense. I think the celebration committee has been fantastic to see. But everything to me stems from this defensive line and one other statistic really quickly before we move on to the next truth here. Towey below two is up to fourteen run stops on the season, which is tied for fifth most in the league among edge rushers. Joey Bosa, who talked a lot this offseason about how important it was for him to put on weight and get back to where he feels comfortable, he currently has the highest run stop percentage in the league at thirteen point seven percent of any edge rusher in the league. So those two are getting to the football at a really high rate. Khalil Mack is doing some crazy things in terms of setting the edge, He's not far behind them. Like these This trio of ed dressers is legitimately dominating the run right now. And then forty pressures man, like you mentioned, we literally have never seen the Chargers do that at that kind of rate. So it's just it really put it into perspective what they did. And then I went back and watched the tape and it was like they were meeting at Zach Wilson like every other play. It felt like they just were dominant on Monday night at a historic level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, forty pressures on forty nine passing attempts from Zach Wilson is that's a rough night. Man. I almost feel about it. I almost almost feel bad. But it's great that, you know, you point out the run defense as well. And I'm glad that when we talk about two Leader or any of these guys, you're consistently bringing up the run defense because that is setting up what they're able to do on third down. You don't get to have forty pressures in eight sacks if you're not great on first done, if you're not great against the run and their ability to do that keep them to one yard games, you know, one yard losses.
Speaker 2: Whatever is great.
Speaker 3: That sets up up your ability to rush the passer. Zach Wilson and the Jets lost more yards on sacks than Breese Hall gained in rushing yards, which speaks to both things. There. They stopped the run and they rushed the passer, and those two things right there is why they won so big last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, there's we'll see about the pass rush, but I'm pretty confident that this team can stop the run. Lamar Jackson is a different beast. That might be a tough situation, but you know, even this week against the Lions, like, I have a lot of confidence in this front being able to stop the run. Also really quickly. Otito Agonia fantastic on Monday Night Football, his first game back coming from from that injury, consistently eating a double teams, shedding blockers. I was. I was incredibly impressed with the way Otito played. They're getting some really high level football from Nick Williams, Sebastian, Joseph Day, Austin Johnson. Like these these guys are really defending the run at a high level. It's just the edge rushers are like insanely dominant and everybody else is kind of playing behind them. But the Chargers run defense is legitimately good in my opinion, and I think we'll see that in a big way against teams like the Lions who really want to establish the run.
Speaker 2: That's awesome for Motito.
Speaker 3: I didn't get to watch the film, but just watching the game, you go, whoa, you know, how much is this guy gonna play? Then you watch him and it's like, what the heck? Where did this come from? Four pressures last season? Get for pressures last night in his return from a pretty gruesome injuries.
Speaker 2: So to see that is great.
Speaker 3: Again, this rotation is just fantastic. Big credit to give Smith. You know, Jay Rodgers is in charge of he's the run game coordinator, but gif Smith is in charge of the rush plan.
Speaker 2: So whatever he's doing, it's working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a hundred percent. Shout out to those coaches for sure. All Right, My last thing I want to discuss here in terms of the truth segment, looking back at kind of the numbers, watching some of this film and looking at the way this Chargers offense is struggling, I do kind of want to discuss this because none of us were expecting a huge output on offense. This Jets defense is insanely talented, especially against the pass argent Menon, who was on the show last week, pointed out that the pass rush pressure justin Herbert around fifty five percent of his dropbacks and they perfectly covered. The Chargers receivers on around fifty percent of their dropbacks as well. So the Jets defense is insane. So I'm not super surprised that the offense struggled, but I think it's really time that Kellen Moore leans back into the run game as a solution here. This is an offense that is not set up how they were supposed to be set up. Obviously, Mike Williams is injured, Josh Palmer is now injured, Jeraldever it is a little bit banged up here and there. The run game has to be the answer, and I know that it hasn't been pretty at times. I actually thought they were able to run the football dec well last night. Austin Eckler had his best game on the ground of the season outside of Week one. Obviously, josh ba Kelly only getting three carries is an issue to me that needs to be corrected. But this was a game where I think you needed to do a much better job of protecting Justin Herbert and protecting your defense and controlling the clock, and so you know, this was this was a game that I was expecting Kellen Moore to kind of lean into the run game. A little bit more, and we didn't see that happen that it needs to happen, Like, you have to be able to run the football going forward, and you know they're going to get into some potentially like cold weather situations here in the next few months. They have to get this figured out. The Lions are pretty similar about the Jets that you in the middle of the road in terms of the run defense. The Packers the week after that are terrible against the run. Like that these next few weeks, you have to get the run game going otherwise your offense, I think is just going to kind of be stuck in the mud again because I just I don't know how many answers you have without Palmer and Mike Williams out there, you know, I just you know, you can only do so much with Keenan, And Keenan was fantastic yesterday. But the run game needs to be a much greater emphasis point of emphasis for this offensive coaching staff or the offense I think is just going to kind of continue to be stuck in mud a little bit.
Speaker 3: I feel like the play of the tackles and of course in particular Rashaun Slater has really surprised the team. I think there's an aspect of going into the season assuming that you're good there and frankly the whole, the whole offense life would be better than it currently has been. And I just think, in particular with Rashaun Slater last night, you're just surprised by how things have kind of gone and so at some point, you know, you kind of hoped during the bye, but hasn't quite happened, But you'd hope that at the middle point of this season and heading into some very difficult games, that they can self scout a bit and say, Okay, like, we've got to reevaluate what we're doing.
Speaker 2: We had a plan going in of the year. It was a good plan.
Speaker 3: Week one was great and then things people got hurt and things changed. Okay, let's reevaluate after the buye okay things after the bye.
Speaker 2: We've seen what we liked that is good. We've seen that we tried that didn't work out so well.
Speaker 3: So what can we lean into And yeah, I was definitely surprised that Joshua Kelly didn't get more touches. If it's an issue of you know, he gets four carries for six yards every game and that's why you don't want to give him more touches.
Speaker 2: I understand.
Speaker 3: But statistically going into this game, and I'm sure it's pretty close now, I mean, he was ahead of Austin Eckler in yards per attempt, yards after contact per attempt, rushing yards ever expected per attempt, avoiding negative rushing plays, success rate EPA per rush. You know, anywhere you looked as a runner, Joshuvac Kelly was better. And that does that Does that mean that he's elite? Does that mean that he's great? No, but he can't just give you a bit more. And you gotta find a way to avoid these third and lungs because the Chargers had no answer. I can't think of a single third and long outside of maybe the.
Speaker 2: One that was the thrown to Keenan, that great.
Speaker 3: Play, but that might have been a third and short. I couldn't think of a third and long that what didn't end up in Herbert getting hit or sacked. I mean it was pretty rough. They had no answer, So you got to find a way. Eckler can be involved as a receiver when he catches the football, but Joshua Kelly, even if all he does is give you three and a half yards or four yards and on Monday he gave you six yards to carry. That's way better. You can survive elite pass rushes if you can just get to second and six, but you can't live in second and eight, second and nine, second and ten, second and nine. In the same way, we discussed how great the run defense was for the Charges and how that set up their rush. You got to set your offense up for a bit more success. So either that's an extension of the run game like they sort of were doing at the beginning of the year with screens or something a bit different there, or just leaning into the run game. They got to find a way to stay ahead because you can't go and go face Baltimore in a game that you basically need to win to establish yourself in the AFC. You can't go face Baltimore and just say yeah, we're gonna you know, this is all we got you, Golllean is the run. You gotta find some different ways to make it work, and.
Speaker 2: So far it's not. Do you feel I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think you watched the offense today.
Speaker 2: If I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 3: Yet, do you at least feel that the offensive line at this point, is actually better suited to be run blocking or do you feel that their strength is past pro.
Speaker 1: I think it's run blocking. I think the offensive line run blocking hasn't been amazing, but it hasn't been an issue. Like I've been on the record that the tied end blocking has been a much greater issue. I thought watching the broadcast that Nick Vannett was was a solid contribution there. You know, I'll see what the film says there, but I think the offensive line is still struggling with some of the aspects of playing against stunts and games. And you know, watching the broadcast, the Jets would do this thing where they would have, say, eventually do a stunt or a game on one side, and then they would kind of like fake one on the other side and then end up dropping one to kind of spy Herbert a little bit, which is something that the Chiefs stood a little bit. And the Chiefs really confuse the Chargers with that kind of look in Rashaun Slater. I don't know if there's an ankle injury still there or what, but you know, again, the Jets defensive line is insane, but there were some instant wins from the Jets defensive line against both of these offensive tackles, which, you know, whatever you think of Trey Pipkins to me, I was surprised to see that live. So it's just I think it establishing the run helps everybody here. It helps the offensive line, takes pressure off of Herbert, it protects Herbert, takes pressure off of the receivers, and I just in these two games like these are the perfect kind of games where you want to workshop the run game because you're in such a positive game script. So you know, I don't want to seem like overly negative obviously, but you know, we have to be real here on this show. And the Charges offense did enough, but I think they did leave some meat on the bone last night and against the Bears as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's what changes them from being maybe even just a okay offense or a good offense to being great. And so you have to discuss it. There's always room for improvement. Have to address I have to talk about it. So I'm glad you brought it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, Tyler, Well let's get to our game balls of the week here. Who is your choice coming off with a victory from Monday Night Football could.
Speaker 3: Go many directions, but how about the guy who has ten thousand and seven yards in his career. Please don't get a screen and lose eight yards your first reception next week, or you gotta.
Speaker 2: Do it all over again.
Speaker 3: But no, I am truly proud.
Speaker 2: I think speak for a lot of fans.
Speaker 3: I'm proud as a fan to have watched Keenan Allen you know, and watched him play since his first catch against the Eagles. You know, in the third quarter, I wrote it down. It's a game that was played three thousand, seven hundred and five days ago. It's been a while since that rookie season. Don't ask me what I was doing. I have no idea what I was doing that long ago. Fitting of course that the reception was also on third down, of course, Keenan Am caught a third down for his first catch. He's just been the answer to every question this season. You know, where do we go?
Speaker 2: What do we do?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Who's the gargoyle on mass singer?
Speaker 3: You know, like he's been the answer to everything so far, and he just gets it done like he's been getting it done.
Speaker 2: And you don't, you know what.
Speaker 3: A better way to pass ten thousand and seven or ten thousand yards then with a catch that he had, I mean, what an awesome play, one of the best catches of his career, of course on primetime to get that milestone. And it's just really cool to see him rite ten thousand on that football.
Speaker 2: I mean, what a milestone.
Speaker 3: And like he'sa said he's going for Antonio Gates next and he'll get him next year. So it wasn't like the best performance from Keenanon on the season, but he picked up four first downs for this team.
Speaker 2: I was an offense.
Speaker 3: They only picked up twelve, and he finished the night with eight catches for seventy seven yards, which was good enough, man, good enough for a win against a very very good corner trio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was That was basically the offense. And you know, like I said, the Chargers did just enough on offense to get those three drives, you know, a touchdown drive, the field goal drive, and the two minute thirty second drive. Basically was all Keenan. I felt like Austin Heckler had some contributions there as well. For sure. For me, like I already talked about the edge rushers, I like I could give the could give a game ball to one of them, but I'm gonna go with a Lohi Gillman in this one. I think there's just some something different about him, the way that he's able to, you know, spark this Chargers defense. And again, he set that tone really early in the game. I was kind of convinced that they would call him for roughing the or for personal roughness or whatever the penalty is called on that first play, but it just set the tone. You know, he strips Garrett Wilson, he recovers Khalil Max fumble and nearly returns it for a touchdown. The guy just has a way of finding the football and it's incredible to watch him play alongside Derwyn James. I thought that Randon Stay had a great plan for Garrett Wilson, and a lot of that was Alohi Gilman being able to move around and play as a cover one robber at times plays as the one double against Garrett Wilson. So credit to Brandon Stay there as well, but Alohi Gimmon was kind of the key from a schematic standpoint against Garrett Wilson from what I was able to watch on tape today. And then again, you know, he forces a turnover, he recovers another turnover, has a couple of big hits. So I think Alohi Gillman deserves definitely a shoutout today. So he's gonna be my choice for the game ball.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: And dating back two a few weeks ago when he was healthy again and playing against the Vikings, he's part of the reason they won that game. You know, again, forces a turnover there, should have had another one. It's a whole story about the refs. But the last two drives he finishes the game for them, helps finish the game for them against the Bears, hits the receiver when James gets his interception last night.
Speaker 2: Of course, big.
Speaker 3: It's I didn't I expected a Lohi Gilman to have his quote unquote breakout season. Unfortunately he's been hurt a couple of games. I really didn't expect like tone setting to be a Lohi Gillman's thing this year.
Speaker 2: You know, I expected.
Speaker 3: Good plays, good coverage, be sound, be a good running mate. You know, but Derwin James is the guy and Michael Davis is your best corner and that sort of thing. And sure, but I did not expect tone setter for Lohi Gilman and game changer for Lohi Gilman. And that's all he's been. He's playing physical and he's changing the game. And so yeah, game ball there is is wonderful.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was fantastic last night, really solid for this team. But nights like Monday night, our nights where you really see his value shining through. All Right, we're gonna take a quick break and on the other side here, we're gonna take a look at the big picture with the Chargers having officially passed the eight game mark, sitting at four and four. So we'll take that quick break and then we'll come back on the other side and have that conversation. Hey guys, VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment capital of the world. Ticket packages boast an array of offering such as premium seeding to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL on location dot com or search NFL on location today your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location. All right, Tyler, we wanted to have kind of a zoo them out conversation about this team sitting at four and four, they're officially back in the playoff picture. The AFC is completely jumbled up. It's pretty crazy to look at. There are thirteen teams that currently have at least four wins, including the Chargers obviously, who sit at four and four. So a lot of these teams are gonna have their bye week coming up, like the Chiefs have. Chiefs and Dolphins have there bye week this week, I believe. So. The Chargers as it currently stands, sit in tenth place. They are half a game back from the seventh seed. However, as it currently stands, what are your thoughts here as it pertains to the playoff picture, because I think there are some teams that are really starting to solidify themselves, and then there are other teams where it's just like, I don't know which version we're gonna get on it given Sunday. So what are your thoughts here about this AFC playoff picture and how the Chargers fit in.
Speaker 3: It's exactly what I was thinking looking at it. I mean, the Chiefs the Ravens and the Jaguars, mostly because of their division two those three are going to remain at the top. They're going to win, They're going to finish as division winners at.
Speaker 2: Least it wouldn't surprise me if they did.
Speaker 3: And they are projected to Chiefs seven and two, raven seven and two, Jaguar six and two, and then you have you know, could be the Dolphins, could be the Bills. It'll be one of them, and then both of them are probably getting in. And that's kind of that to me, the big picture and any chance for the Chargers is not the Bengals the seventh seed. I think the Bengals are going to ascend and keep moving, you know, maybe not into the division win, but probably like the fifth or sixth seed. To me, it's that it's the Browns and the Steelers. Now, the Steelers just keep winning, and it's obnoxious that they just keep finding ways to win, regardless who's out there. I'm convinced that Mike Tomlin could feeld you know, you and me at quarterback and receiver and you can figure out who's who.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think they would still find a way to win because that's Mike Tomlin. But the Browns that that team is the one I think maybe even you referring to in terms of well, I don't know what kind of are you really a team that's a playoff contender or not? The defense is absolutely, the offense is pretty hit or miss, and unfortunately their record isn't great at five and three, and I don't know where they're going to keep winning because they have the Ravens next at Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Then they have the Steelers. That's a slug fest.
Speaker 3: Then you got to go at Denver, then the Rams, okay, fine, but then Jaguars Bears we've seen fine. But then at Texans at Houston, who are I mean TJ Straut a holy cow?
Speaker 2: We just saw that.
Speaker 3: Then they got to play the Jets and you're not scoring at all, and then you got to play the Bengals. So it's a very very tough remaining rest of the schedule for them in terms of either opponent or just traveling to somewhere. And also that opponent is really good, so that's a tough one for them. I do think the Chargers can get to enough wins that would qualify them in most seasons to make the postseason. I just don't know that if it's enough wins to win an tie breakers and to officially get them in this year, they're going to need a little bit of help and a couple more losses in front of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, as it currently stands, the AFC North is four of the seven spots, so all four teams are in the playoff picture right now. They haven't really played each other very much though, so that's gonna They're gonna weed itself out, I think a little bit. The Bengals, for what it's worth, to have the most difficult schedule in left in the league according to Tankeathon and some betting schedules as well. They have to play the Chiefs still, they have to play the Ravens still. They have to play the Steelers twice, Browns, Jags, and the Minnesota Vikings. They are only real like easy game that the Bengals have is the Colts, and the Colts are at least a frisky team, They're a tough out. So the Bengals I think are probably the best team of that conversation, that wildcard conversation, But that schedule is ridiculously tough, Like that's that's a gauntlet. The Browns, like you mentioned, have a tough schedule. The Steelers actually have the twenty second easiest schedule remaining. They still play the Cardinals, the Patriots, the Packers, and the Colts. So that to me is an interesting team. And you mentioned CJ. Stroud they get to play it's one of the easier schedules too. They get to play the Cardinals, they have two games left against the Titans, they play the Broncos and the Colts. You know they'll they'll have a tough time against the Jets and the Bengals and the Browns, but they don't have a super difficult schedule. So the Chargers, it really becomes a matter of the other AFC teams that you have left on your schedule and making sure that you are winning those games. So the Chargers are right in the middle of the pack from a strength of schedule standpoint. But you have some of these games against AFC teams that you absolutely have to win, Like you definitely have to beat the Bills, you definitely have to be the Raiders. Again, the Raiders are still kind of have around the playoff picture. I don't have a ton of confidence in this team. Beating the Ravens because I think I think the Ravens are the best team in the league right now. But those other AFC teams, you got to make sure you win and you get some of these tie Reker advantages, and they got one on Monday Night against the Jets. They have to keep doing that going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the rest of the schedule is really set up for them to Honestly, if you just look at the Vegas odds or whatever and say when are the Chargers favored, when are they projected to win, versus when are they projected to lose, it's really set up where, yeah, that's that looks like nine to eight, right, So if I had to guess they're projected to lose against Detroit, the Ravens, Buffalo, Kansas City, that certain wouldn't surprise me, and I don't think of a surprise anybody if they were, and they're projected to win then against Green Bay, New England, Denver, Vegas, and then Denver again. So I think that if you just play out the games like they're sort of expected, the Charges can go nine to eight. It's like what you said, though, they need to find one more win in there against one of these AFC opponents. To really make it in, you got to get a tiebreaker, and obviously you're gonna need ten wins unless something just goes crazy for the rest of the AFC. But so you're gonna have to beat Kansas City, You're gonna have to beat Buffalo. Maybe you know, one of those two games again Baltimore, like I said, like you said, I think they are the best team. They certainly look like it, and they have recently. And the March is playing out of his mind and that's that's a two thousands classic Ravens defense. So that's that's a heck of a team. So really, those those two games, if they can beat Baltimore, great, But you gotta beat Buffalo. You gotta beat Kansas City. But I mean, you beat Detroit this week, and that's a game that kind of feels like a coin toss, will see. But you win that one, I think you're feeling better about the rest of the season because again, the rest of the games or games that you're you should win, like Green Bay, New England, Denver, Vegas, Denver, are they going.
Speaker 2: To be easy.
Speaker 3: No, you have to exercise a lot of demons to win those games. At Denver, at New England even recently for this regime in Vegas like that is, those are rough places historically for the Chargers, either long term or more recent. So I think they'll win those games, but like you said, they got they got to find one more win in there at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to take care of business against the teams that you should beat. For what it's worth. The Bills game is really interesting to me. You know, obviously you have Josh Allen, and Josh Allen is able, is very capable of going nuclear at any moment. We've seen that time and time again. The Bills from a success rate and from a down to down basis, they're one of the best offenses in the league. Josh Allen is tend to have the occasional turnover as well, but that defense has had so many injuries. Nate Tices pointed this out earlier. They're actually twenty eighth in the league from a success rate standpoint and an EPA per play standpoint, since Matt Mulano specifically went down with injury. So the Bills defense, which I think entered the season is like a legitimately unit that legitimately had the chance to be a top five unit in the league right now, they're more of a bottom five unit in the league. So the Bills are gonna have to shoot out the rest of their games potentially. You look at their schedule specifically, I just had it in front of me. They have the fourth most difficult schedule remaining. They still have to play the Eagles, they have to play the Dolphins again, they play the Cowboys, they play the Jets again, they play the Chiefs. There's not a lot of easy left on the bill schedule, and the way their defense is struggling, that is a team that I could see kind of working their way out of the playoff picture at some point, and the Chargers beating them would be huge. But again, Josh Allen is, for my money, the second best quarterback in the league and is able to go nuclear at any moment. So that's a game that I think Chargers fans should be circling as kind of that's the inflection point. That's like the game that if they win, they can get into the playoff picture and like cement their status as a playoff team because I think they have some of these other games that they can win, and like beating the Lions would be huge. But if everything kind of goes how we think and they beat the Bills, that's when I think we'll start to see that, hey man, like this team is for real and they can really make some noise in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Bills, it's unfortunate, but every time I watch them, it's Okay, this player is out, this player went down, this player went down, and it's just unfortunately chipping away at their ability to be a stronger contender. And it feels like, especially watching them against the Bengals, like, now, the Bengals are a very good team, so that's understandable, but it just feels like their momentum is starting to slip and you can't regain that if you're turning the ball over and you're injured. I mean, those are two awful things that you can't do. And so unfortunately, it just seems like, you know, the Chargers just need to survive when the games are supposed to maybe steal one, but just survive, be healthy, keep momentum going until that game. And if you can do that, and if the Bills are trending downward and you steal that game, yeah again that that would be a huge one.
Speaker 2: And you can see on Peacock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I will potentially be at that game, so hopefully it should be a lot of fun. Obviously, Monday Night was huge. You know, the Chargers have been able to get back into the playoff picture. You beat a really good Jets team, a defense that is just outstanding. The Chargers playoff odds have increased by like twenty percent after winning that game. So again, that was a huge win on Monday Night football. The Chargers defense was fantastic, the special teams was awesome as well. The offense still a bit of a work in progress, but I'm sure we'll see some better days ahead in the future. All right, Tyler, any other thoughts here before we head out.
Speaker 3: Just keep winning boys, You're doing great, keep at it. See you next week after a win.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, there we go, There we go, all right, guys, Appreciate the sport as always, make sure like the like the videos, comment here on the channel, subscribe all that good stuff. We do really appreciate it. Appreciate Greg Kim for producing and uh as always built up. We'll see you next time. M mmmmmmmmmmmmmm hmmmmmm h m hmm.