Speaker 1: Hello puzzlers, and welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, your daily puzzle rations. I'm your host, AJ Jacobs, and I am here with our chief puzzle officer, Greg Plisco.
Speaker 2: Welcome Greg, Thank you Aj. It's nice to be let out once again.
Speaker 1: We have released you momentarily so that you could give us your latest concoction from the puzzle Lab. What do you got for me today?
Speaker 2: Well, I've got a puzzle that I call Capital Gains and it's all about US state capitals.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a high risk of humiliation because I'm not that good at capital state or country capitals for that matter, but I'll do my best.
Speaker 2: You don't have to know which state they go with. You just have to know the names of some of the state capitals.
Speaker 1: All right, Well that might help.
Speaker 2: I'll give you a sentence with a blank in it, and then you tell me the capital city that fits into that blank so the sentence makes sense.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: For example, if you have to change your tire on the side of the road, it's useful to remember that the blank the trunk.
Speaker 1: Well, this is not good when the example is stumping me.
Speaker 2: That's just imagine you're on the side of the road in Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Me, I do remember, hold on, that's one of the presidents, Jackson or Jeffries Jackson. All right, Jackson Mississippi.
Speaker 2: Jackson Jackson, Mississippi in the Jackson in the trunk.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, so Jackson, So you left out Jackson Jackson.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's useful to remember that the blank the trunk, the Jackson the trunk.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: Very as right.
Speaker 2: And it's phonetic. The spelling doesn't matter all the merit. It matters is the sound of the world.
Speaker 1: Well that makes it harder. That doesn't help me.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well for you, No, it still has to be phonetic. All the examples here are phenetic, no question. Okay, all right, you got this, You got this. You need help. I've got hints. I'm ready with hints.
Speaker 1: All right, I may call you in like.
Speaker 2: Once Easter is over. Blank shaped chocolates and baby chick marshmallow treats.
Speaker 1: Are half off blank shaped chocolates, I mean egg shaped. But is there an egg? Is an egg?
Speaker 2: Another thing? That another Easter shaped thing, another animal that's not a baby chick?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: So yeah, rabbit bunny, yep, bunny bunny, funny shaped bunny shaped.
Speaker 2: Or yep, once Easter is over blank shaped chocolates. It's the capital of New York. Albany all bunny shaped chocolates.
Speaker 1: The Albany tricky, very tricky. I didn't get that. It was like bunny. I don't recognize that. As I forgot. You can add another word, all right, Yes, now I am O four two great.
Speaker 2: Each of these is going to be more than one syllable. I think almost all the state capitals are more than one syllable, except maybe Pier, South Dakota, which is pronounced Peer, not Pierre. That's true Peer, yeah, yeah, Ni Pier. Yeah. Okay, here's another one. Although when young she was quite blank, Hathaway overcame her reserved nature to become a famous actress.
Speaker 1: Okay, I do have this one.
Speaker 2: I do have Okay, though when she was although when young she was.
Speaker 1: Quite shy and shy.
Speaker 2: Halthaway overcame her reserve of nature to become a famous actress. Yes, Cheyenne, why are very clever?
Speaker 1: All right? I like it. I like it.
Speaker 2: It's useful to point out there's a hint in there. Obviously, Hathaway. You want to think of a person with a name that goes with Hathaway, like Anne Hathaway, and then reserved nature is a hint to the fact that we're talking about how she was quite shy exactly.
Speaker 1: All right, well, I feel all right, I'm one for three. That is okay, good except in baseball, I guess.
Speaker 2: Well the first you're one for two. Actually the first one was just an example. Okay, all right, here you go. The phrase going to blank handbasket might be derived from the ill fate that meets people sentenced to death at the guillotine, as well as to the receptacle used to catch their heads.
Speaker 1: Got it, Sorry I interrupted, But that's all right. Now that's the one. If you had started with that, I would have had some optimism. I would have had some confidence.
Speaker 2: I know. I realized that.
Speaker 1: One I can do now. That is Helena, Helena.
Speaker 2: Helena Montana. Yes, the phrase going to helen a hand basket, and the derivation isn't clear, but it might be derived from, you know, the fate that meets you when you're guillotined and your head ends up in the hand basket. I don't know, No one knows quite where it comes from.
Speaker 1: Makes sense?
Speaker 2: All right, here's here's another one. For you. If New York fans don't mind paying the extra processing. Blank basketball tickets are easy to purchase online.
Speaker 1: Oh well, that's interesting, all.
Speaker 2: Right, don't mind paying the extra processing. Blank basketball tickets are easy to purchase online.
Speaker 1: I mean, I have guesses, but none of them make any sense whatsoever. There's Nicks fee, nets fee.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, go back to your first one, Nicks if you don't mind paying the extra processing.
Speaker 1: So you're saying Nix is in there. Nicks is a good thing.
Speaker 2: You said both parts.
Speaker 1: Actually Nick's fee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't knob it around.
Speaker 1: Phoenix, ayesha, all right, very.
Speaker 2: Good, Nick feed the capital of Zona, Era exactly, Phoenix, Arizona. If you don't mind paying the extra processing fee. Nicks basketball tickets are easy to pridge us online.
Speaker 1: Got it? Got all right? Well I don't know about well done, but I had a good time. I had a good time. All well, that was excellent as always, So we are glad we keeped you locked up down there so that you can come up with these. And do you have a extra credit puzzle for our puzzlers.
Speaker 2: And whom I do? I do? Here's your extra credit. While most people use their fingers, if you can touch your face with a blank boo becomes an even sillier child's game.
Speaker 1: Perfect Well, thank you Greg for enlightening and frustrating and delighting us and puzzlers. Please remember to subscribe and we will see you here tomorrow for some more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 2: Hello puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska up from the Puzzle Lab with the extra credit answer from our previous show. On that show, Aj was playing an ASMR game with Lisa Lobe. To be specific, he was whispering clues to words or phrases that have the letters ASM and R in them in that order, so this was the extra credit.
Speaker 3: Here you might find roller coasters, flumes, long lines, fried dough, Dippin' Dot's ice cream, and the answer is amusement park.
Speaker 2: Yes, amusement park. Thanks for playing. Hope you enjoyed the little ASMR and we'll see you next time on the Puzzler. Thanks for playing along with the team here at the Puzzler. I'm Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle officer. Our executive producers are Neelie Lohman and Adam Neuhause of New House Ideas and Lindsay Hoffman of iHeart Podcasts. The show is produced by Jody Abergan and Brittany Brown of Roulette Productions. Our associate producer is Andrea Schoenberg. The Puzzler with Aj Jacobs is a co production with New House Ideas and is distributed by ash Pit, Redcoats No. It's distributed by iHeart Podcasts Rearrange the Letters People. If you want to know more about puzzling puzzles, please check out the book The Puzzler by AJ Jacobs, a history of puzzles that The New York Times called fun and funny. It features an original puzzle hunt by yours truly, and is available wherever you get your books and puzzlers. For all your puzzling needs, go visit the puzzler dot com. See you there,