Speaker 1: It's a league fifteen to ten touchdown Chargers.
Speaker 2: What's up, guys?
Speaker 3: Welcome into another episode of Chargers Weekly, presented by Microsoft Surface as always, joined by Matt mndey Smith. Coming off another resounding victory, Chargers on Monday Night Football dominate the Jets twenty seven to six, second straight win back at five hundred in money. I imagine the ViBe's very good after that game at Jet Life Stadium.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was interesting because it's the first time, you know, I've been doing this since twenty seventeen with the team. It's the first time we stayed the night. Like, yeah, it was kind of weird. So everyone's back in the hotel and in catering in one of the ballrooms where they had a bunch of food. Even though it was like twelve thirty one in the morning, you know, everyone's still pretty wired and kind of adrenaline still flowing from the game. So it was just fun to kind of see the guys sort of get together and celebrate as opposed to just kind of being on the bus getting on the plane, settling into your seat, probably falling asleep. They're all wrapped up in ice for the trip home, and this was kind of a cool little opportunity to peek as a fly on the wall into these guys being excited about a victory and bonding with one another and kind of hanging out and laughing around the tables. And I think because it was such I don't want to say complimentary football obviously, because the offense didn't do a whole lot, but they did enough.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: You got big field goals, you got huge first downs when you needed them. You got a pair of touchdowns or at least you got a touchdown technically two right with the one play drive from Austin after a lowie Gilman stepped out of bounds right before scoring on the scoop, so technically two. But the defense played great. Special teams was exceptional. So you really kind of felt that in that room that hey, this will we really kind of all pitched in and knock this thing out. And you know, for people that were pointing out, oh, it's just the Jets, you know they stink twenty four punts the week before. Well, go around the go ahead and look at the the ESPN projections and what their experts thought was going to happen in that game. Look at the NFL network projections and who thought who they thought was going to win that game. So you want to say it was an easy win, Well, apparently a lot of the people that talk about football for a living and get pretty big checks to do so it didn't think it was going to be an easy win, and they thought it was going to be a loss. And the Chargers went out there and absolutely dominated.
Speaker 3: They did, And you're right, everybody. Everybody picked the Jets to win. And I really don't care who the opponent is. Money Sometimes in a locker room, you need to experience what it's like to win, and to win big, and to gain confidence and to come off back to back games on a national stage and dominate your opponent. I thought of you immediately when Darius Davis scored on the punt return touchdown, because I think as we closed the pot, we said play from in front, right, they played from in front the entire game. The first five minutes of the game. It felt like Zach Wilson in the offense was gonna have a hard time score in seven right, seven to nothing right from the beginning. The defense, I can't say enough about really the pass rush, but I want to start with the guy that I think we talked about last week too, just Alohi Gilman's presence. Man makes a world of difference on this team, and he showed it from the beginning.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the scoop up.
Speaker 3: At the end we'll get into tou Ley and Bosa and Mac and those guys pinning their ears back, but just the glue guy, Alohi Gilman. I really feel like we felt his presence last two weeks.
Speaker 1: No doubt.
Speaker 4: I think it's a great place to start, Chris, because you see how much better this defense has played since his return. He's such a smart player. He's regularly in the right spot. If there's anything maybe you want to ding them on, it's, you know, the athleticism that they're used to seeing that you're used to seeing the explosiveness at a free safety position. Typically that's a very high level athlete, a four sub four four guy that's tracking the football, and that's maybe the one thing that there were some concerns about him up there. Well, he makes up for it with intelligence, with knowing how to use angles, timing. When I worked for the Lakers and they were you know, and they went on that run where they went to three finals and won two titles. You know, this is going to sound terrible like I'm patting myself on the back, but this is what he reminds me of. I said, you know, you have the Stars and Pow and Kobe, and you have some shooters, and you have kind of your leader and Derek Fisher, I said, but just imagine a floor. It's a kitchen floor and it's all this tile, and what's going to happen to that tile if there's no grout, you know, you have to hold those tiles in place. And that's lamar Odom. Lamar Odom was the grout for the floor. And it's funny because DJ I'm sure probably never heard that he's not a Laker fan, but when we were doing the game, he said, you know what, Matt, if you're building a house and you've got all these bricks, you know, Joe's a brick, and Kenneth Murray's a brick, and Khalil Mack's a brick, but you know, Aloe's the mortar. He's the guy that gets all the bricks to connect. And just go back to the game against the Bears. The timing on that hit that led to the interception from Derwin James. He gets the Iont statistic, but Aloe's the one that creates that play. You know, he had a I mean he had a thumper of a hit on that first series that helped set the tone. You know, Joey gets the personal file penalty, just kind of letting Zach Wilson know, Hey, I'm gonna be here all day, so I'll take the fifteen yards, but just know you're gonna see ghosts, and I'm gonna remind you of what that ghost feels like when it hits you full speed. So I liked that he set the tone there, and I like that Aloe set the tone. MTh Murray had a huge hit and then Derwin James, I mean, damn near broke bresee Hall in half with a hit early on, and I think that set the tone for the defense. It wasn't just the sacks, it wasn't just the turnovers. It was the physicality. It was you guys, better pull up your bootstraps because this thing's gonna be nasty today and we're gonna be bringing some serious thump to this game and you better be ready for it. And I think that certainly affected them.
Speaker 3: I think there's something to be said about having fun too. Hear that a lot the last two weeks. Is like, hey, we're getting back to having fun. And when Chargers fans watch this game and they see Tully doing Joey's celebration and Joey doing toully celebration and those guys just getting after that offensive lot of the Jets, that unit had no shot against this pass rush from the beginning. But money, again, a seventeen game season is so long to see these guys having fun and to feel the momentum building. I realize it's a short week in Detroit's coming off of bye, but that momentum is there for the Charges right now, and you saw it, and you're seeing it in the celebrations and just these guys playing for one another right now.
Speaker 4: Well, here's I'm gonna go back two and a half games, right and I'm gonna go go back to the post game from the Chiefs game. This has now been ten quarters that this defense has been dominant. You know, they allowed just seven points to the Chiefs in the second half after getting absolutely destroyed and cut to ribbons in that first half for twenty four points. Travis Kelcey and Patrick Mahomes, essentially humiliating them, you know, very similar to the Miami game where they were the object of derision for the national media, even for the local media, you know, and Brandon Staley was a big part of that. This guy's supposed to be a defensive genius. Why do they have one of the worst units in the league. And I think, look, there's pride if you're gonna go out there and you're gonna put your body in, you know, in the path of peril like these players do. I can't imagine, you know, how upset you're going to get when people are essentially calling you out for not being a good player. When you when your elbows and your knees are wrapped in ice and you feel like you've been in a car crash, you know, for the next forty eight hours. You know that that can't be pleasant. So I still believe, and I don't know this, it's just my speculation. I believe something happened at halftime at that Kansas City game. I really do, just by the way the players talked after the game, Michael Davis saying, you know what you're supposed to do against the Chief You've got to get after their ass and we didn't do that, and you know, we weren't playing zone and we need to play man and that there was just a lot of pushback from that defense in that postgame locker room because I think you saw something in that second half, and I think it was something that was brought up, you know, in a communal fashion of hey, let's shift, let let's let's shift, let's change things, and let's see if we can find something here, because there's too much talent on this team for us to be given up one hundred and fifty yards to Justin Jefferson, two hundred and fifteen yards to Tyreek Hill, you know, one hundred and whatever yards to Seed Lamb.
Speaker 1: This is stupid.
Speaker 4: Let's figure this out, you know, in one hundred and twenty yards Travis Kelcey in the first half. Let's figure this out. And I think you've seen it. I think you've seen them cut loose. They're rushing with four, they're letting guys play press. Derwin's on the line of scrimmage. There's a lot more aggression from the linebackers, you know, and I think you're seeing that, and like you said, we'll see it against Detroit one of the top five offense in the league. But to me, and look, that's all a big setup to echo what you just said, right, it's now fun. It's now fun for these guys. They believe they're invested. Hey, look what we're doing. Seven sacks against the Raiders, eight sacks against the Jets, two interceptions against the Bears, two strip sacks against the Jets. This is what we're capable of. And this is fun because now we're now we believe, we believe in what we're doing. We're being celebrated accordingly, and I think coach is right when he says it. And you know, like you just said, it's a good week of practice and these guys.
Speaker 1: Are having fun.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: The fact that it did happen on a national stage back to back weeks, the whole nation got to see what this Chargers defense is capable of. Nineteen points total allowed over the last two weeks. But it's going to be a different animal with Jared Golf coming in and Laporta and Saint Brown and that Montgomery gives duo in the backfield that lines offensive line. So it's gonna be a heck of a test for this Chargers team, which we'll get into in a bit, but Holden Brees Hall, what fifty yards making Zach Wilson throw the ball forty nine times, that's a recipe to win offensively.
Speaker 2: You mentioned it. The numbers weren't quite there, but you know the Jets.
Speaker 3: Have done this to a lot of teams, a lot of offenses, a lot of elite quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: And they knew what the game plan was.
Speaker 3: Get out in front of early, which they did, run the ball and have kind of Austin Eckler pace your offense to whatever extent he could, which he did, and rely on Keenan Allen when you have to. And the catch he made to go over ten thousand yards. I wanted to get to this later, but maybe I'll just mention it now. I don't want to see Keenan Allen ever in another NFL uniform. I think what he's done this year money, he's putting up all pro numbers at his age. I want to see him in a Chargers uniform for life. And I know it's very hard in this day and age in the NFL for that to happen, because guys want to continue to play, and you get up there and cap number and it's a business, but there's no reason this guy should not be in powdered blue for the rest of his career.
Speaker 2: Break the records, break all the charge of records.
Speaker 3: He's a route to a Hall of Fame type career, and it's just been awesome to see, especially against the Jets defense, where you know, he he came alive when he had to. You mentioned the third down conversions, but I feel like this year, more than ever, really shows to me just what an amazing charger Keenan Allen has been.
Speaker 1: No doubt.
Speaker 4: Look, I'd love to I'd echo that obviously. You know, we all want you know, the fans always want their heroes to wear nothing but their uniform, and I hope that's the case. And I think justin Herbert, you know, probably will go a long way in figuring that out, you know, whether or not the team really believes. Okay, well we've invested, you know, a quarter of a billion dollars in this guy here. If he says I need Keenan, you know, then you got to figure out a way to keep him. Problem is, you know, Jerry Rice was a raider, Jerry Rice was a Bronco. Randy Moss should have been a Viking his whole career. It just it's so rarely happens, you know, it was just you know exactly, It's like, it's just it's it's so hard in the NFL because of the hard salary cap. It's it's a hard cap. You can't go over it. You're can't go over it and pay at tax. You have to figure out how to construct the team. And now you have to construct the team with a quarterback that's going to be making fifty million bucks a year. The good news is the CAP's going up. You know, it keeps going up because these TV deals keep getting richer and richer. So perhaps that's the case. The thing I'll say about the offense that I think is so important for people that want to pile on and say running game stinks, it was justin Herbert's worst you know stat totals of his career, the one hundred and thirty six yards, the sub sixty percent passing. You know, outside of Keenan, you really had nothing in the passing game. What I would say is I tip my cap to Herbert, you know, because when you have that kind of talent, you probably want to force some things. You want to impact the game. You want to be you want to put your imprint on it because you're a superstar and it's what's expected of you when you're on Monday Night football. And for him to take the beating that he took and to just swallow the ball or to throw it away time and time again and not try to force it. He had one throw, one throw that he forced and it should have been an interception and it wasn't. And I think that was a quick reminder because it had been two and a half quarters of very little offense, and I think he was just getting a little frustrated and he cut that one loose and he realized, Okay, that's not the plan. The only way we lose this game is if we turn the ball over and we give them a short field. And he has history as a guide because that's what happened to Patrick Mahomes and it almost cost the Chiefs the game against the Jets. So what happened to Josh Allen. The Bills had no business losing that opener, except for Josh Allen just got loose with the football and threw a couple picks and fumbled. The Eagles have one loss on their record, it's to the Jets because Jalen hurts through three interceptions, Like so he had that. I guarantee That's the Kellen Moore pregame conversation. Our defense is good, our special teams is good. Let's not try to do too much. And you know what, when they needed to, when they got the short field after Joey's stripsack, they cashed it in when they got the when they you know, when they got inexplicably, when Nate Hackett is throwing the ball with under a minute left and the Chargers have all three of their timeouts at the end of the half, I'm like, what are you doing? Just run the ball. The Chargers will be happy to go into the half at fourteen to three. So now Justin's like, all right, well, we know, you know they're not going to get the ball back and score, so this is just free time and a potential free points. And he gets, you know, that huge run for a first time. He gets the huge passes to Keenan Allen to set up a fifty five yarder. And now you've empowered your kicker, who is the most accurate kicker through the first two seasons of a career ahead of Justin Tucker at ninety four percent, and he's banging home fifty five yarders with ten yards to spare. So like they did, did exactly what they had to do to win the game. And I think to ding them for that. I understand. I wish they could run the ball better, and they've got to figure that out, but in this particular game, they did exactly, They did exactly what they needed to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this wasn't the game to judge the running game after you know, and they only had two active guys who I was actually surprised by that, making Spiller inactive and just going with two running backs entering the game, because I thought that maybe you could run the football on this team and you would want to kind of spread the wealth a little bit. But they didn't need to. And I remember the conversation that we had going into the Dallas game.
Speaker 2: Money.
Speaker 3: We knew that it was gonna be a tough stretch going Dallas Kansas City back to back, and you know, a short week going to Kansas City, and if they were two and four, you said, well, hold on a second, you still got Chicago and New York an opportunity to climb back to four four, and that's exactly where we are today, in a completely muddled up AFC right now, where it's really anybody's playoff wildcard spot from five to seven. So let's take a quick break and we'll get into the Detroit lines on Sunday. All right, guys, A big thank you to our partner, Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider end laptop of the NFL and the Los Angeles Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at Surface dot com. Hey Chargers fans, you want to eat? Uber Eats now available for in stadium pickup. Order all of your stadium favorites from your seat with the Uber Eats app. Just set your location to Sofi Stadium, select your favorites, and you'll receive a notification when your order is ready for pickup. There are many mouth watering options in Sofi Stadium. Let the stadium rumble, not your stomach, Go Chargers. VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale. And only on location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment capital of the world. Ticket packages boasted array of offerings such as premium seeding to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL onlocation dot com or search NFL on location today. Your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location.
Speaker 2: So money.
Speaker 3: The Detroit Lions playing really good football. They got destroyed in Baltimore a few weeks ago, but other than that, they've dominated their opponents. I think their other loss was an overtime loss to Seattle. Coming off of by Amen Ross, Saint Brown coming back to Los Angeles, Jared Goff coming back to Los Angeles, and this will be the test offensive in defense wise, the Lions very stout. We mentioned all the weapons earlier at the top of this podcast. What do you need to see from the Chargers just as a leaping off point.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, you look at you look at the Baltimore game and one thing certainly jumps out, and that's five sacks and that they were in the backfield regularly. This is one of the best offensive lines in football. You look at the pressure rates. It all starts with Pinney Sewell, who's established himself as one of the better, if not you know, one of the best left tackles in football. You've got Decker, You've got Ragnaman, You've got a pretty well stacked offensive line that's playing very well. And it's important for them to do that because you know, this goes back to his time with the Rams and fair or not, it was always sort of I don't want to call it a knock, but very similar to the conversation around Derek Carr.
Speaker 1: Jarck Goff doesn't like to get hit.
Speaker 4: You know, I know, no quarterback likes to get hit, But when they start getting hit, the clock really starts speeding up and things start changing a little bit. So to me, that's where it all starts. And I think that's what Baltimore was able to do. They were able to get pressures, they were able to get quarterback hits, they were able to get sacks, and I think that helped change the tone of the game.
Speaker 1: It's not going to be easy.
Speaker 4: Like I said, they've got an exceptional running game, and you know what, I'm happy David Montgomery's back because you know what, give him all the carries you want, don't give it to Jamier Gibbs. My goodness, that dude has looked every bit worth the twelfth pick for all the incoming they took. He is electric with the ball in his hands, in the passing game, in the running game. So yes, welcome back David Montgomery. He's been a great runner. Don't get me wrong. Guy's got six touchdowns. He's a physical runner. But I will take that every day and twice on Sunday over Jamire Gibbs. So that's certainly something that and that's what makes them such a good offense, right is they have the running game. So now the play act working. Jared Goff has established that very similar connection he had with Tyler Higbee in Los Angeles. He really liked using his tight ends and you're seeing that with Sam Laporta. So look, if you're asking me, I'm doing a very similar thing that I did against the Jets, and that is Derwin James is in the box a lot. He is playing right up on the line of scrimmage a lot. I don't even mind sticking him on Laporta for a little while, and just take him away and don't give Goff that safety valve that he's been looking for in a lot of these games, especially on third down. Almost every third down, I'd be like, hey, Derwin, just go find Laporta and stick there and just take him out of the play. And you saw, you know, they they mixed up who was covering Garrett Wilson, but it was mostly Mikey. You know, it was mostly Michael Davis, and he was playing press and Garrett Wilson's not the most physical. Now, aman Ross Saint Brown is a much more physical receiver than Garrett Is. If there's one knock on Garrett is, he's a bit slight and he can get pushed around. That's not the case a mon Ro's thick. He's he's a very strong receiver, so that may not work as well, but he's not as athletic. So now you've got that's what makes Michael Davis such a great weapon. Is not only you know, is he physical at the point of attack, but he's also got four to four speed. Oh and by the way, he's six foot one and he's got these giant freaking levers that he can use. So I think that's probably how I'd approach it is a lot of Michael Davis on a Monross Saint Brown, a lot of Derwin James on the line of scrimmage, and I'd like to see him on Laporta on third downs. And you know, this is a sort of an old fashioned SEC game. Hey, we know what you're gonna do. You know what we're gonna do, And let's see which line wins. You know, does your O line beat our D line? Does our O line beat your D line? Whichever whichever team comes out ahead. I think in those Catsgies, you know, the pass rush and the pass protack is probably gonna get out with a win. But it ain't gonna be easy. This had top six I think, top six defense, top five offense, so it's not going to.
Speaker 2: Be easy money.
Speaker 3: This is the the ultimate measuring stick now for this defense, because the Lions offense couldn't be more different than what they saw on Monday night. You know, golf is playing. Golf is playing among the best in the NFC at the quarterback position. You mentioned Amenros Saint Brown. The laporte of the rookie has been fantastic. I remember DJ was so high on Laporta coming out of the draft, and and the Lions echoed that when they selected him in the second round.
Speaker 2: Before before Mayor. I believe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the two headed attack with with Gibbs in Montgomery, they got speed and Jamison Williams, Josh Reynolds, a guy that that golf had with the Rams. So the offensive line compared to the Jets, maybe the best unit in the league versus.
Speaker 2: The worst unit in the league.
Speaker 1: Just pulled it up.
Speaker 4: Chris, let me go through it real quick. Here's here's what you're talking about with this offensive line. Pinnay sewel Right three hundred and twenty three pass block snaps, three hundred and twenty three, has allowed seven pressures.
Speaker 2: Justin Heiber benefited from that.
Speaker 1: Organ exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: Frank Ragnow two hundred and eighty four pass snaps, three point two percent pressure rate, He's allowed nine pressures. Uh, Glasgow has allowed fifteen on two sixty two. Decker has allowed fourteen on two forty seven. This a really good offense. I mean, their pressure rates are minuscule. It's two point two three point twenty five point seven, five point seven, seven point four across the board. It's an exceptional offensive line. But I think the Chargers have three players that are gonna end up at double digit sacks. I fully believe that Tuley is going to end up at ten, and obviously with nine already, it feels like Khalil Mack very well could get there this week. And Joey at six and a half. I'm just how much better he's looked these last two weeks. So when you're talking about three guys on the line of scrimmage and we've seen him on the line of scrimmage at the same time now quite a bit, that to me can overcome that. And that's what I'm talking about, Like, that's the strength versus strength and which one of those two units gets out ahead, because I think that's going to go a long way dictating how this thing turns out.
Speaker 2: It's a Romo nance game, too, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they made it the NAT So it's another national game basically, if if you know, unless you have a unless you have a game in your home market, this is going to be the one that's shown to the nation. So for the fourth time in five weeks technically six because of the bye, but for the fourth time in five games, the Chargers are the national game. You know, whether it's in primetime or in this case, the Nance Romo game that gets broadcast to the entire nation, unless your home market team is playing at the same time, which there aren't many.
Speaker 2: So money.
Speaker 3: Offensively, this is where I think the Joshua Palmer injury and you know, we don't even talk about this last week because it happened late. He was placed on IR so he's gonna be going for I think the next three games not having him. You know, Quintin and Sauce were matched up a bunch last Monday night and he only had I think three targets maybe yeah, three to fourteen yards, right.
Speaker 1: But he had his best catch of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Offensively, it's gonna be have to be different. They're gonna have to score some points. Austin Eckler and Joshua Kelly are gonna have to run the football effectively, and Justin is going to have to put up some points because you know the lines will.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't expect coach Day to say this in a press conference because why would you give away a game plan to an opponent. But man, I just I have to believe. I just don't know how you don't watch the film the last two weeks. And even though it's a total I think it's a total of nine carries, how you don't come away with we got to get Joshua Kelly the ball more, and we got to we got to just get a North South running game going, and we have got to get him with the edges, the edge, you know, it's the stretch runs. They're just not working. But when Joshua gets the ball and he's running in the air the b gap, it works. It works for four to six yards every time. And I just feel like, with how unsuccessful the running game has been, why not give that a go. Why not give that the fifteen carries and give Austin the six because Austin's going to get the ten targets and make that part do the do the Tony Pollard, Zeke Elliott approach. Have them both out there, have them, you know, on each side of Herbert. And then next thing you know, Austin's in motion out to the slot to one of these sides, and let a linebacker try to match up with him, you know, and then the defense has got to figure out, all right, just have ass is it a run? What are they doing?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: Or keep them both back there. And now Austin's just kind of floating into the flat on a smoke route and maybe it's a delayed handoff. I like, I just feel like there's more they can do with Joshua Kelly because he's been rushing for six six and a half yards per carry these last couple games, and Austin's rushing and it's nothing against Austin, Like it's the whole operation. They're getting no push. The old line is getting almost no push in the run game right now. So to me, it's, you know, it's the old music business thing that we used to say when you know, our bands would play these these radio shows.
Speaker 1: It's like, hey, you know what, just play the hits.
Speaker 4: I know, I know you want to let them know how dynamic and creative you are, and you've got this really good song.
Speaker 1: That you love, But just play the hits. That's that's what the people want to hear.
Speaker 4: If that's how you'll be successful, go in there, play your three hits, high five everyone, get out, and let's sell a couple hundred thousand records. And like that to me is right now in the running game. Those are the hits between the tackles. Don't be looking for fifteen and twenty. Let's look for five. Let's look for five yards, not zero, not second and nine, not third, you know, not a first down run. And now it's second and twelve. Like to me, that's the one thing I wouldn't mind seeing more of against the Lions because you got to get these guys on their heels. Aiden Hutchinson's two good. I mean, his pressure rates at seventeen percent, his win percentages at twenty. The guy's got fifty two pressures.
Speaker 1: Fifty two.
Speaker 4: Like, let me just try to put that in context at how dominant the Chargers pass rush has been this season. So let's go total pressures. Aiden's got fifty two. Next best between these two teams Khalil Mack at forty, Okay Twu Lee at thirty, Joey Bosa at twenty five. Now, Joey's missed a couple games. I mean, Aiden's had three hundred and six pass rushes compared to just two thirteen for Twu Lee. So take that with a grain of salt. But I'm talking about let's just go by win percentage, right, so you're not talking about totals win percentage Joey Bosa sixteen point two percent, Tully twelve point two percent, Khalil Mack seventeen percent, Aiden Hutchinson twenty percent. So to put, yeah, that's how dominant of a pass rusher. They're facing someone that's had a better season than Khalil, Joey or Tuley, and that's what they'll have to contend with.
Speaker 3: I agree with you in terms of getting Kelly the handoffs. Yeah, I don't look at Austin. You look at in touches right in a couple of weeks ago, effective seven for ninety four through the air. Uh, Joshua, get him the ball, make it the one a one to two punch, and let Austin be an effective pass catcher. Now.
Speaker 2: I think he had a couple of drops on Monday night, but you never see that.
Speaker 1: It was weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right, it was uncharacteristic of number thirty.
Speaker 3: But I'm with you. Get Joshua Kelly the ball. He had that big forty nine yard touchdown against the Chiefs. You only gave it to him three times on Monday night.
Speaker 2: So I think that.
Speaker 3: That's as they try to continue to figure out this offense with guys going down man like all right, Mike goes down, So Joshua Palmer, let's elevate him, get him more involved.
Speaker 2: Josh goes down.
Speaker 3: It was hard to kind of distinck what was going on Monday night because the Jets defense has been so dominant.
Speaker 2: But now you kind of have to pivot again.
Speaker 3: And I'm with you, play the hits, but maybe you find a new release in one of the tight ends or somebody that can match the firepower that the Lions have. And I think to your point, money having a one to two punch in the running game, similar to a Montgomery Gibbs, could be something that the Chargers look to as we get into games against the Lions, the Packers, and then of course that huge Sunny night game against the Ravens.
Speaker 4: They're gonna have to score points, that's the thing. This isn't the Jets, you know, So they're gonna have to score points. And remember, you know they did it against the Bears. They did it with ease against the Bears. The Bears defense is not the Lions defense, that's for sure. But I'm saying it's I think because of our recency bias, is the Jets game, Like, let's not forget this team put up seventeen in the first half.
Speaker 1: Against the Chiefs.
Speaker 4: Whatever unraveled in the second half, don't know, but we know they can do it because they did it with explosives in that first half against the Chiefs. They did it against the Bears. It was an Austin Eckler game, right, and in the passing attack they you know, and they did it enough against the Jets. But they put up you know, they put up over thirty against the Dolphins, like that's I think what people. They put up twenty four and a half against the Raiders. The offense is still good. The offense still has Justin Herbert, it still has Austin Eckler.
Speaker 1: You know, I wish I could.
Speaker 4: I wish I had some you know, the old I'm gonna give a dated reference. I wish, you know, inner space, I could go inside the brain of Rashaan Slater to figure out how hurt is he. Because he's such a warrior, he'll never let you know, you know, every time we see him, he's like, oh, dude, I'm good. He's never going to make an excuse, but clearly he's not right. I just would love to know what percentage not right he is because it is not. It just hasn't looked the same since the Raider game. So you know they're going to have to figure it out. And you know you brought up to that catch he made is the best catch I've seen him make all season. The catch he made for the first down when he went up, it's the first time that I've just seen him get his hands in front of him and snatch the ball and use that big body of his to block off his defender, got perfect position, snatched the ball and then pushed his body forward for the first down because he was catching it right at the sticks. It was just such a great rep for him. It was where the sticks. Okay, now I'm going to get my break ball is already been released. Locate the ball, get my hands out there, snatch it, secure it to my body, and now let me use my physicality to push forward to make sure we get the first down. I thought it was a to me, like there was the back shoulder throw for the first down two games to go against the Bears.
Speaker 1: That was this was it?
Speaker 4: Like, go back and watch that that catch people, because it was impressive, and I think when you just get a little flash like that it's all you need to see. That's how you build trust. Like oh, okay, that was a third down that was critical catch. I zipped it in there and he snat, didn't bobble it, he didn't gather. He ran the exact art he was supposed to do. The timing was perfect, and he used his physicality to get that that first down. I think that goes a long way. I really do with this relationship. And look, it has to. They're gonna need it. They're gonna need Quinton, They're gonna need Gerald Everett, They're gonna need Donald Parhum because there is there's no Mike Williams and now there's no Josh Palmer for the next four weeks, you know, and no Mike Williams for the rest of the year. So I know Jalen Guiden was out there, you know, maybe just had to shake off the rust in that Jet game and now out Yeah, it was great to see him out there. But you know, those guys are gonna have to do something, and more than something, they're gonna have to do a.
Speaker 3: Lot, specifically money in the second half of games, because we've seen them kind of sputter out in the second half and It was similar on Monday night. They only scored that touchdown at the end of the fourth quarter, I think because of a turnover courtesy of the defense. So if you're gonna score with the Lions, you're gonna have to do it for all four quarters. And I think that's one of the I think the keys to the game is to have a consistent four quarters of offense, not you know, seventeen points in the first half and then uh oh uh, we didn't figure it out again in the second half. Like the second half offense in whatever combination that they need to use and whoever they need to feature, they're gonna have to score points in the fourth quarter to beat the Lions.
Speaker 1: No doubt.
Speaker 4: And that's something that's plagued them. You know, the second half scoring. You've got to make it. And to me, Chris, that's such a big part of just the running game, right, Like they're trying, they have these leads and they're trying, they're you know, they're trying to run the ball, and that's what's leading to the to the failures on offense in the second half. You know, first half, it's all gas, let's let's gass it up. Man let's get some points on the board, Let's see if we can get a lead. Let's allow our defense to pin their ears back and get after an offense in known passing situations. And then the second half, you know, against the Bears, against the Raiders, they're trying to run a four minute offense, to which I would say, run your four minute offense when there's four minutes on the clock. Until then, you know, just keep playing, just keep doing, keep doing what you're doing instead of trying to make it happen. I just wanted to pull up the catch again too, to remind myself to make sure I had it right, because it might not have been the third and nine for Quintin. It very well could have been the Maybe it was this one, that's it. It was a second and six, So it's a second and six and they're up seven nothing, and Quentin, it's just I would love if you people can find it. It's uh three point fifty two left in the first quarter, so it's early. They're already up seven nothing, right, and and Quinton just he's in pressed there. You know, it's press coverage. He breaks his guy off with a double move, comes back to the ball, snatches it and it's it's I want to just address it because it's a nothing play, like there was nothing special about it. But man, when you watch it, you can just kind of see like, Okay, that's that's what we're looking for. He's not he's not a guy that you want running the nine routes and the goes like this is what he does, Like get him in the phone booth and allow him to use that physicality. I'm watching it again. He comes back, jumps snatches and just go back, you know, check it out. Like to me, there's something there and I just feel like maybe I'm trying to manifest something I don't know, but it like, hey, maybe you saw it. This is the step, this is where it goes. So we'll see because like I said, it's it has to happen. There's there's no choice.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: It's one thing when Mike goes down and you got Josh Palmer, who's a legit number two receiver to Keenan Allen. When Josh Palmer comes down, okay, well now you're the number two. You have got to go out there. You're gonna get ten targets or you know you're gonna get at least eight targets. You got to catch six of them, and four of them are gonna be on third down to extend drives money.
Speaker 2: I've used this as example before.
Speaker 3: I just go back to twenty eighteen, that rookie class, and sometimes you just you don't know when you're gonna have to rely upon a rookie to contribute help you win games. And that twenty eighteen season, you know, Derwin James was an All Pro his his rookie year. So that's that's your first round pick. Uh Chenna what he did in that Baltimore Wildcard game. I remember Justin Jackson in Pittsburgh. Justin Jones started that that Baltimore game. So you've got contributions from your rookies at different parts of the season. And to see what Darius Davis did to help you win that game. To see what Tooley's done for a large part of this season. Now, if we can get Quinton Roland at some point, this would be a nice start on Sunday with Palmer down against the Lions team you're gonna have to score against, and then let's get let's get Henley some more snaps because I tell you what once dayon gets rolling.
Speaker 2: I guarantee it'd be tough to take him out of the lineup.
Speaker 4: You can see it. It's now been two games where he's played. You want to know why they didn't score a touchdown at the end of that game. That's a big part of it right there. Dyon Henley is a big part of it right there, you know. And there's a reason why they ended up with eight sacks and not seven because Dayon was chasing down Zach Wilson and essentially said you want some of this, old man, and Zack Wilson said nope and stepped out of bounds and took the sack. And that's it's just a different level of athleticism that he provides. And I think against an explosive offense like the Lions, I'll be interested to see, you know how, especially on third down, you know, with with all the options they have, all the weapons they have, how Coach Staley wants to play it. And if you could see Dayon maybe coming on for e K and in those third down obvious passing situations, you know, I could, I could. I think you could make a case for it, you know, based on what he's what he's shown so far, just how much faster he looks and how physical he is when he's on the field. So and I think a lot of that just comes down to trust. Trust that he's going to be in the right place, that he knows the calls, that he knows his assignments. You know, it's a complicated defense, and hopefully that trust is there because certainly the ability is there.
Speaker 2: Money.
Speaker 3: Let's close on this. I'm looking at the AFC standings. Thirteen teams. Thirteen teams have four wins, the three that don't Tennessee who the Charges lost to Denver who has come on as of late in New England, who the Chargers will.
Speaker 2: Face next month to and seven.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at the teams that they have to play. So Baltimore in a couple of weeks, they're seven and two. They're looking good right now. In the North Buffalo later in December, that's going to be a huge game, they're five and four the time getting the tie breaker against the Jets. Now, somebody mentioned to us that, hey, you remember in twenty seventeen where they beat the Bills fifty four to twenty four and they didn't get.
Speaker 2: The head to head. There was some weird like three way tie stuff going on there.
Speaker 1: So in large it was conference games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was conference games. So in large part, the head to head is all you need. But sometimes times when there are like three way ties and four way ties conference games. So you know, Vegas is smoking cigars after beating the New York Giants and Tommy DeVito, do they have a.
Speaker 2: Run in them.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, like, it's gonna be a fun second half of the year when you look at the AFC and see that there are thirteen teams right now kind of vying for those those three wild card spots and obviously the four division winners.
Speaker 4: You know they have two tough games in the next three weeks, right so, and look, you have to go on the road to Green Bay. By no means is that an easy trip or an easy win. There are no easy wins. But you know, this is a team that was zero and two, two and two, two and four, four and four. I'm not saying they're going to alternate two game win streaks and losing streaks and finish nine and eight or eight and nine, but you know, this is a team that believes in itself right now and in order to carry you know to carry that, you know what the national narrative is, and it's.
Speaker 1: Fair because it's true.
Speaker 4: You know, the team was, you know, prior to last week, you know, and now the Jets are four and four, So I don't know if that counts as a team within winning record anymore, but you played them when they had it, So let's just say they were a team with a winning record. Going back to the start of twenty twenty two, the Chargers are now two and nine against teams with winning records in the regular season, two and nine. So just bust that narrative, you know, bust that conversation and get it to stop by beating the Lions, beating the Packers and getting ready for a Baltimore team that a lot of people think is the best in football right now. So they still have tough games Lions, Baltimore, Chiefs, Bills, you know, and they also have some games that you feel like should lean in their favor Patriots, Packers two against Denver.
Speaker 2: Raiders always split against Denver. Two, They always split against Denver.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, this is the year they can't split against Denver. This is the year they got to sweep Denver. So and it's not easy. It's tough to play. You know, Sean Payton's as much as I don't like saying it, he's a good coach. And you know, maybe they figured some stuff out. They weather the storm early. We'll see, you know's what's the schedule this week? What do we got as a as we look around? Because look the AFC. So you got the Bengals and Texans, right, So yeah, so Bengals Texans. Yeah, I'm just saying, like, look at the lost column. You know, one of those teams is gonna you know, the Bengals are either going to be five and four and so are the Texans, or the Texans are going to be four and five. You know, the Jags have to play the forty nine ers. The Browns and Ravens are playing each other, so now the Ravens are either seven and three or the Browns are five and four. You know, the the Jets and Raiders are playing each other. So one of those teams is going to be incredibly disappointed. The Jets after winning three in a row, maybe on a two game losing streak, or the Raiders, you know, get their pop from the interim head coach. You know that's got all the juice and energy and everybody's feeling good, and you know how that works. It always happens where they get that first win. It seems like with the interim head coach, well can he do what rich Pasaca did, and that's carry this and stack some wins there in Las Vegas. And then you have the Broncos and Bills on Monday Night and there's so many people pointing to the Bills and saying, hey, that's Pi. I'm Darren Waller. That should have been a loss. You know, that's in the end zone, assuming the Giants score from the one, and who knows if they do, but you know what I'm saying. And then hey, Chris Godwin, locate the ball, You're wide open. You win that game on a hail Mary. So it's like the Bills. There's a lot of detractors there as well. So every team has flaws. To me, there are no dominant teams this year in the NFL, in the AFC, like, everybody's got issues. You know, as good as the Ravens are, as good as the Chiefs are, I think you feel like, okay, they're beatable. I think they're beatable. So see if we can finally get some help. Has it really come? You know, the AFC has played the NFC like entirely, and the AFC has swept the NFC on what seems like multiple occasions this season. So let's see if the Packers can knock off this Steelers, you know, if the forty nine ers can knock off the Jaguars and get some of these NFC teams to get some action against against the AFC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the.
Speaker 3: Jets game was big, not only for the head to head but just the conference. You know, you don't want to go one in four in your conference because you're not winning any tiebreaker when it comes down to week eighteen, two and three in the conference. Now, an NFC team comes into town, You play two NFC teams in consecutive weeks, and then that Baltimore game.
Speaker 2: Money.
Speaker 3: I think Baltimore is probably playing better than anybody in football right now, but I think.
Speaker 2: AFC North is so tight.
Speaker 3: I look at Cincinnati right now, I feel like they're about to go on a run and they could still snag the North, which means a head to head against the Ravens would go a long way too, if it ever came down to that so.
Speaker 4: Like, here's the thing. So the Bengals still have Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland one more time, right, so they've got three conference three division games left. The Browns still have Steelers once, Bengals once, and I think that's it. Yeah, so that's it. So they only have two more division games. Uh, and then the Ravens if I if I riot, I think they have four. The Ravens have yeah, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Uh, Pittsburgh, so they have they have three as well, So those and then Pittsburgh. Yeah, so they've got they've got yeah, they got three. So those teams that that's gonna that, that's gonna they're gonna knock each other out, like you know, they're one of those teams, if not two are going to are are gonna have issues because of all these head to heads. So you know, I can't see Baltimore sweeping Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and you feel the same way, you know about the others. So it'll be interesting to see how how that all shakes out. But I'm with you. Joe Burrow and the Bengals went one in three in the first four weeks of the season because he was on one leg you know, and now he's not. And look what they're doing. I mean they hammered the forty nine ers and when they needed it, they got it, you know, against the Bills.
Speaker 3: So that's the AFC north of it ended today all four teams would be in but you just mentioned it. They're gonna start beating each other up right now. Buffalo is on the outside looking in Houston and then the Chargers, so you know those three teams, you know it is Buffalo gonna take a step back this year.
Speaker 2: They still have. They have some tough games coming up too. By the way, if they do schedule now the.
Speaker 3: Then Houston, very young team, I think I've already exceeded expectations.
Speaker 2: We'll see if they can sustain it. A. CJ. Stroud Rancho Cucamonga's finest.
Speaker 3: Is having an unbelievable great unbelievable and then the Chargers four and four right above the Jets who they beat. So Charges right in the middle of this thing and it'll start Sunday. In terms of getting over five hundred money anything else from this Lins game, you want to hit them before we get out here.
Speaker 1: No, I think we hit it all.
Speaker 4: I really do you know? It's gonna be a tough game. Well, I'll add this, if you're going to the game, you're probably going to be in for a treat. I was talking to someone from the Chargers and they said that demand for this game is higher than the Cowboys Monday night football game. That that's how hot this ticket is. Because hey, if you're in Detroit, why wouldn't you want to come to Los Angeles? Your team hasn't been good in two decades and you get to get out of Detroit, Michigan and go to LA. So demand's going to be there, Charger fans, you've got you know, you're back to that Sunday late window, which everybody likes, you know, not that they don't like primetime, but it makes it a little bit more challenging because of work and things like that, you know in school. But I it's gonna be packed, it's gonna be high energy, it's gonna be electric, and it's gonna feel like a playoff game, which is essentially what they have the remainder of the way. You know, a bunch of playoff games.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Romo Nance on the call on television if you want to turn them down and put on money and DJ though wouldn't be mad at all.
Speaker 1: You know, we appreciate that.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, that's gonna do it for us.
Speaker 3: We'll be back next week as the charges geting ready for the packers.
Speaker 2: But it's Detroit on Sunday for money. I'm Chris