Speaker 1: Today versus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're here with us on the Weekenday, yeapy Saturday.
Speaker 3: We love it, of course, Jose, Alexis and myself And we're playing Today versus Back in the Day, which is your.
Speaker 2: Generational trivia game. Yes, yep, that we play on the weekends.
Speaker 3: And today it's Alexis's our gen Z's turn to answer some questions about the olds. So we're digging into some really good I got some good stuff today from the eighties and nineties, and I think we've got to start off because it's been a huge week for Tracy Chapman. Right, Okay, you know the Luke Combs cover of Fast Car.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's wild.
Speaker 3: She just became the first black songwriter to win Song of the Year at the CMA's the Country Music Awards this week.
Speaker 1: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 2: Crazy?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And she's I know, and she's.
Speaker 3: The only black woman to ever have a solo writing credit on a number one country song.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: The thing is is that this song came out in nineteen eighty eight. And okay, Alexis, I'm not going to ask you, Tracy Chapman facts.
Speaker 1: Yes, I want to know what's your next single. But we're gonna try something we've never done before.
Speaker 3: We're going to do a rapid fire lyrical fill in the blank.
Speaker 2: All right, Okay, So.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna read the lyrics and then I'm going to point to you when it's your turn to fill in the blake. Okay, and then we'll keep going yep, okay, okay, We're gonna start right off the bat.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: You got a fast car. I've got a plan to get us out of here. I've been working at a bank Rana to save just a little bit of money.
Speaker 3: Won't have to drive too far. Just cross the border and oh, go into the city. You're saying it, Yes, yes, you guys can both get jobs.
Speaker 1: Finally see the world. It's half and half there, play it for Sashi it. I got a plan to get us out of here and save just a little bit of money. Won the draft though, Just across the boat into the city. There you go and I can both get jobs. That does rhyme better?
Speaker 2: So good?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I like the lu Combes cover whatever you know. People like it. Other people have covered that song.
Speaker 3: Sam Smith has done it justin Bieber Khalid, but nothing beats.
Speaker 2: Her all right, there we go. I give you half a point for that one.
Speaker 1: Half of it, right, yeah, right, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Next we're moving on to cartoons.
Speaker 1: Question number two.
Speaker 3: Care Bears ruled the cartoon world in the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 2: I loved the care Bears.
Speaker 3: I don't know if jose you were a care Bear kid, because it was maybe a little bit okay before your.
Speaker 2: Time, just to chat.
Speaker 1: Well, and it was interesting.
Speaker 3: I was researching this question and I didn't realize that the care Bears were originally just a painting that was used for cards for the company American ingreedients like Hallmark cards.
Speaker 2: Essentially, Yes, that's all they were. But then they came out with the.
Speaker 1: TV shows.
Speaker 3: Countdown just when you who knows they keep going. I like voice, oh, I know, but I like the song a lot Bear count Down, So okay listen. A debut in nineteen eighty five, and the original show featured ten bears. Whoa, I'm gonna list four of them. One of them is a fake. You gotta find the fake, all right, here we go the fake bears Funshine Bear, Grumpy Bear, Potty Chair Bear, o God, or Bedtime Bear, which one was not real? All right?
Speaker 4: Bedtime Bear has gotta be real because I just feel like that would help kids go to sleep and they, okay, take your little Bedtime Bear and get to bed something like that.
Speaker 2: They want it now? Yeah, it's really ser fun was Funshine Bear?
Speaker 1: Fun Shine Grumpy? I'm torn.
Speaker 4: I'm like, maybe it's like the Seven Doors for there's a grumpy but they also like grumpy is just such a lame bear, Like who wants to buy a grumpy Bear? Like that's just like you just have like awn frown Like I just imagine, like a really why people.
Speaker 1: With gota be mad like this? We look angry, you know? And then sorry, what was the ponty chair? Bear? Potty chair? I don't even know what that means, but kids are oh.
Speaker 3: Bear?
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna go Grumpy Bear's fake?
Speaker 2: Sorry, No, grumpy Bear is real. I'll name you the ten bears.
Speaker 3: They were Bedtime Bear, Birthday Bear, cheer Bear, Friend Bear, Funshine Bear, good Luck Bear, Grumpy Bear, Love a Lot Bear, Tender Heart Bear, and wish Bear. There was no poddy chair.
Speaker 1: I should have known, Yeah I shouldn't. That's all right. You ever thought it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: Next questions, We're going TV and it's interesting because like nobody bats and eye now at like raunchy sitcoms and things like that, Like if it like the dirtier, the better, is I think what everyone seeks out. But you got to think back in the eighties, everything was like sickingly sickingly is that a word?
Speaker 2: Sick? Grossly go with that?
Speaker 3: Sure, grossly wholesome, you know, okay, Like it was all like The Cosby Show, not so wholesome anymore. But you know that was until Fox introduced us to the Bundy family.
Speaker 2: Do you know who the Bundy family are?
Speaker 1: Says it Ted Bundy's family.
Speaker 4: A TV shows, not wholesome.
Speaker 2: It was just married with children, do you know the married with nament?
Speaker 3: And it's got Al Bundy who's the dad, who was played by Ed O'Neil, who's the dad and modern family, you know, okay? And then he was like a misogynistic shoe salesman. And then there was Peggy, who's a housewife that didn't do any work, and then they had two loser kids and like the whole show is just about them bickering. Like listen, this is a clip I pulled from a Thanksgiving episode where Al's talking to his wife's best friend who he hates, and his son Bud is sitting on the couch.
Speaker 1: Way to bargain Mars. I love that car more than anything that I have. Good what about us? You need a.
Speaker 3: Cute tips like that, banter like the entire time.
Speaker 1: But what's crazy?
Speaker 3: I didn't realize, Jose. I don't know if you know this, but this whole show ended after season eleven, and it was like Fox canceled it. They never did a series finale, and so Ed O'Neill went to the network and he said, this is how the show should have ended.
Speaker 2: Let us do it. Here's your question.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm going to give you three scenarios. You just have to tell me which one Ed O'Neill pitched as the entire show finale, right?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Did he pitch that the.
Speaker 3: Family finally wins the lottery and then a tornado comes along and wipes everything out during the celebration.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Did he pitch Kelly Bundy, who was played by Christina Applegate, okay, becomes a singing megastar before she's outed for faking it all Millie Vanilli style, Oh okay? Or did he pitch that Alan Peggy divorce al goes on to live his best life, taking over for Hugh Hefner and running the Playboy mansion. Wow, which is the way Ed O'Neil wanted married with children to end.
Speaker 4: You said they fought a lot the entire show entire, like divorce could be coming.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: The series was like considered to be the first raunchy sitcom to have a regular run.
Speaker 1: He could pitch it about playboys.
Speaker 3: Al Bundy would put his hands down his pants when he watched it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a visual wow. Yeah, misogynist could see that. The tornado's funny.
Speaker 4: I mean from what the clip you just played, it kind of sounds like that's what would happen.
Speaker 1: But I don't know. I have hope that he went with wanting to be Hugh Hefner. I'm going that.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, you're so close.
Speaker 3: No, Ed O'Neill actually pitched that he wanted the Bundies to win the lottery and then have a tornado come along and wipe everything out during the almost Perfect and they never got the chance.
Speaker 1: Apparently.
Speaker 2: I guess he found out.
Speaker 3: The show was canceled while he was on vacation because like he overheard a couple talking about it.
Speaker 2: Because they read it in a newspaper.
Speaker 3: Was like yeah, and then he bought the couple their dinner and said, hey, thanks for the information.
Speaker 1: I hope I don't know. I thought that was interesting to.
Speaker 3: Learning something, and you know, we need some suggestions for gen Z Versus Classic movie, which then I was thinking, maybe she should watch Married with Children.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know it's gen Z Versus Classic.
Speaker 1: Movie, but I haven't watched.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I wonder if it holds up. It's as I remember totally.
Speaker 4: Ever hear anybody being like, oh, I'm binge watching this now, Nobody ever says that. I feel like it had like five seasons and then it just like I just know, yeah, good seasons where they were.
Speaker 1: Like America took over and then they died out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, well, Married with Children? Should she watch that?
Speaker 1: Tell us to what should we watch?
Speaker 3: Or should she watch something else? Let us know, and hey, thanks for being here on the weekends. It means a lot to us. It's brooking Jeffrey in the morning,