Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha and welcome to Stefan Never Told You production of iHeartRadio and Yes, your eyes Ears don't deceive you. It is a Saturday New Saturday episode because we are doing a spoil Saturdays. It's been a minute since we've done one.
Speaker 2: It has been, it has been.
Speaker 1: We have so many ideas for them, but it's yeah, but we do have so many ideas for them. But as I hinted at in our recent classic about Scream five that we brought back today, we are talking about Scream six now in New York. I say, heavy horror movie franchise has to have the New York movie. They're usually pretty, but this is a pretty good movie. So yes, there will be spoilers for that because it came out in twenty twenty three, early twenty twenty three. I have a fun I saw it in theaters. I took a picture next to a huge ghost space. That's when Samantha sent me the creepy voicemail. Yes, and I have one of those cups. It has ghost face on it and then it has like a little ghost face figurine. So every time you take a sip there it is I as I mentioned I had a really good time rewatching this. I thought I was nervous, because, like I said, I have this thing where I get nervous about engaging with things I really like sometimes, and I think there's a lot of reasons for that. But I had a really fun time rewatching this. I rewatched it twice for this. It's great. You can see our past episodes on screen five. We did a whole episode on that one Scream Queens, where it was kind of a trojan oors for me to talk about Sidney Prescott. And then the recent episode we did with Bridget about Scream and technology, which is kind of what inspired this, and then the episode I did with Lauren back when I was sort of co hostless. Co hostlessness, that's not.
Speaker 3: Right without a co host. Without a co host, you could just say you were missing me.
Speaker 1: I was missing I was waiting for Samantha, but yeah, why didn't you believe her? Where we did play a clip from Scream Too that I love so content warning, we are going to talk about violence and murder. These are slasher films, so that's what we're going to be discussing a bit. I did find it funny that Amazon lists this movie as erotic. That was one of the like three genres that put it in. I was like, what awesome If you haven't listen to the one in Screen five. Look, I know I make everything about Star Wars, but the creators and even some of the actors were very clear that Scream five was about the fan backlash to the Last Jedi and this one is a continuation of that movie. And I was rewatching it and they mentioned the Holidays specials. There's the part where the killer from the last one, Richie, is on a screen and he's just talking about like the stab movies, which are kind of the meta version of the screen movies within the screen movies, and he's like, well, I didn't see the Holiday special I heard how bad it was and all this stuff, and I was like, ah, but it was a good awe. I'm very excited. I'm very excited. I'm trying to keep a cool, cool head.
Speaker 2: It's trying.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, wow, let's talk about the plot. Stream six is a twenty twenty three American slasher movie directed by Matt Bettinelli, Olpen and Tyler Gillette or Chillette, written by James Vanderbilt and Guy Busick, that picks up. Yeah, we're screen five left off. I think it's a year later. It stars Melissa Barrera, Jenna Ortega, Jasmine Savoy Brown, Mason Goodding, a return from Hayden Pantier, as hinted at in the Fifth One, Curtin Cox, with cameos by Samara Weaving and Anthony Revelaurie. But there was somebody else that you told me. You were like, oh, he's a boomer. Now, I can't believe it. Who was that?
Speaker 3: Samantha Dermitt Maroni I was talking about the fact that which, by the way, I can't believe you didn't put him on the list. What the hell, He's one of the nain people in here. What are you doing so many things? I'm very confused. But yeah, he was like a heart throb, I guess at my young age. So he played in many of different movies as the main male lead, and he was the like the first time I ever saw him was in Julia Roberts my best friend's wedding, which is huge, uh, And he was very iconic in my best friend's wedding, and so growing up, he was just that dude that you were like, oh, yeah, he's he's very like.
Speaker 2: Good looking but normal good looking.
Speaker 3: He's kind of what I would imagine what we call dadbod type of conversation where he's not beyond handsome. He's not like Brad Pitt level of looks, but he's still endearing and he becomes the male lead because of that level. So to see him in this character was quite interesting. To see him as the father character. So the boomer older character hurt my feelings. Oh, there's a lot that has hurt my feelings as of late. Please y'all miss this entire conversation we had with as a staff meeting. So executive producer Maya was on and she was referring to a lot of the movies, specifically this and how it was when she was really young, and I was like, remember Gonna Sit in their Corner. That was a few things that was said, and I was like, I think you're purposely trying to hurt my feelings, and I feel like in this movie was similar to that. But to be fair, Maroney was is like sixty, I think, so it's not beyond the realm, and I think my best friends, I guess Julia Roberts is around that age. But because when you're that young. Those people are the standard of who you want to be, Like, that's who glamorous and sexy and like, oh my goodness was so to see him in this role was a real big flip.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. I was thinking about this the other day because I always love when an actor gets cast kind of against type and then you as the viewer, is used to seeing that person, especially in like a who Done It type of way. Yeah, so you're like not suspecting them because you're used to them in like this other type of role. I don't know, I think that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I think he's recently become more of like a nice dad role. Oh okay, anyway, I think that's the more and more I seen him. But again, this was an interesting twist.
Speaker 1: It was it was we will talk about that. So this movie, it did make a lot of money. It was very well received. They have of course, already greenlit a sequel, and yeah, it begins one year after the previous film, and that In that movie, Richie Kirsh and Amber Freeman were the killers, and they terrorized and murdered people in the town of Woodsborough, which is where it all kind of started, and a lot of them take place, but they namely were after his sisters, Tara and Sam Carpenter, and yes, their last name is Carpenter. So the new ones aka starting with five are like I would say that they're kind of like their own thing, like they're restarting without ignoring the old ones at all. But if the first one of this kind of like new reboot, new requel, the fifth one mirrors the first scream, this one mirror is the second scream. This is the college one. You go off to college, because that's what happens. Tara goes off to college, and Sam and the whole crew follows her there. But every screen movie opens with kind of a random kill, or it seems a random kill at the time, and the lady you find out it wasn't random, but okay, So it opens with associate Professor Laura Crane, who specializes in horror and especially in slasher And she's at a bar and she's waiting for her date, a date she met online, and he's late. He calls and lures her down a dark alley, claiming he's lost and he's looking for her, and he murders her in a ghost face outfit. And you know me as Vier watching this, I'm like, whoa the killer already?
Speaker 3: Right immediately, which, by the way, the woman that plays a character is the main evil character from The Babysitter.
Speaker 2: Yes, in the Netflix trilogy.
Speaker 1: She's also often confused with Margaret Robbie, and she's in Uh. These creators also did a movie called Already or Not Oh yeah, ready, the wedding movie there's too nu. Yes, not that there's two movies, the Hide and Seek and Ready or Not different, very different, but yeah, she is in that anyway. Yeah, he murders her. It's revealed the killer is a student of hers, and that he was planning on killing the survivors of the Woodsboro like see killings as they're called Samon Tara specifically. However, he gets a call from another goho's face who pretty quickly kills him, exclaiming who gives a about movies?
Speaker 3: And he's the beginning of it is very much like don't blame the movies for death and essentially what y'all you and uh talking about.
Speaker 1: But it was immediately like, oh, this is which they said very clearly, the creators of this, but like, this is a different killer because normally he's like what's your favorite scary mood? Like all that stuff. He was right out the gate or she are? They? Like, who gives up about scary movies? And there was a pretty graphic scene where he opens the fridge and his roommate Greg, I think was like cutting the pieces in the fridge a co killer. We don't even him, No, he's just pieces. And I did think about this because we're hopefully going to bring Bridget back, because we did have so much to say about Scream. But I was thinking about this that I think when I said, like, phone calls really freaked me out. I think there's a lot of reasons why I'm not alone in that, But I wonder if Scream has contributed in some.
Speaker 3: Way to right but on the call, yeah, oh you know the whole like they're inside your house, which is an urban legend.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true, that's true. I would love to talk about that. I did on my rewatch because you were recently talking about the trip you checked to New York for your birthday and you complained that like the restaurants didn't have the sign up front, you couldn't find it, and the at the beginning, the same thing.
Speaker 2: I was very was like, oh, I was Yeah.
Speaker 3: In New York City, the new posh Italian restaurant that we went to that we loved and had the amazing food was down an alley, literally by an alley in like side streets where we had to go where we passed many restaurants, there was no side said there was a design, except it was for a different name. I was like, that is not the name. And there was no mention of the actual place that we reserved, like we went and reserved the table or at the bar sitting next to the pasta station, as was recommended by TikTok, and like the name of the restaurant.
Speaker 2: Was not on there. It was a completely different name.
Speaker 3: And I had to be like, what the And on Google it doesn't tell you that it's a different restaurant either, And I'm like, why did you do this?
Speaker 2: Why would you do this to us? Who? Who? Who thinks this is a smart marketing?
Speaker 3: I mean it was packed, so I don't one cared, I guess, but I was like, this is not smart.
Speaker 1: It was all ghost space. It was ghost space.
Speaker 3: I hadn't been when my partner one of those would have gotten murdered by ghost face. Now I said, that's you know, that's the lesson.
Speaker 1: It did make me laugh though, because I think maybe if you haven't been to New York aren't familiar with that, you know, this opening scene, you'd be as people love to do. And I understand it, but you're like, why would she do this? Why would she do that? I do think that, But she does have that comment about the the not they're not being a sign and all that stuff, and he kind of uses that to lure her out. He's like, you can't find there's no sign.
Speaker 3: Which is like, you stand in front of him. That's a don't go anywhere. Other lessons. Stay with the peoples, staying with the people. Yep, all right, but yes. Tara and Sam now all live in New York, along with fellow survivors from the last movie, Mindy and Chad, who are related to Randy, who was the like movie guy who knew all the rules from the first three. Tara is attending the same university where the murdered professor taught, where.
Speaker 1: The killer student went to. In fact, they had to run in in the beginning, and it's chafing at the overprotectiveness of her sister, who moved to New York to keep an eye on Tara. Tara basically wants to have a quote regular college experience, and Sam is like, no, I'm going to taste this guy. We are also introduced to roommate Quinn, Chad's roommate Ethan Mindy's girlfriend Anika, Quinn's father, Detective Bailey, this Dermott guy, Sam's boyfriend from across the away of the apartment's Danny, and Sam's therapist, doctor Christopher Stone, who she mostly talks about Tara with. So these are your suspects, these are your victims. Because of an online conspiracy theory that Sam masterminded all of the Woodsboro Legacy murderers, Sam is outcast and regarded with suspicion. When she goes out, Detective Bailey brings her in for questioning after her id was found the murder of the student, along with the ghost Face mask warned by Richie and Amber. However, as they're making their way to the police station, Sam gets a call from Richie's phone from ghost Face and she and attacked at a bodega where ghost Face kills several people with a gun. This is notable. We're going to talk about this because ghost Face has never not used a knife ever.
Speaker 2: That's well, yeah, it's odd.
Speaker 1: Yes. The killer leaves another mask at the scene, this one from the twenty eleven words Boro Murders, which is Scream four. Once they get to the station, we're introduced to Kirby Reid, who is the horror movie scholar from the fourth one, who was presumed dead from these twenty eleven killings but now works, so they have to be FBI. I know I made you watch it in the fifth one, if you like, pause it at the right moment on the side of the YouTube page you can see survivor Kirby talks about the horrors of this whole thing. So you well, the fifth one was like, she's alive, but in the fourth one I definitely thought she was dead for sure.
Speaker 2: So it ends like she does she's dead.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, Okay, absolutely. I actually can't wait to talk about that because it's got a real like douchebag you didn't see how good I was earlier, Now I'm going to kill you vibe. So yeah, we'll talk about that later. So guess who else is there? Gail Weathers Border Gail Weathers, who, despite her promise at the end of the fifth one after Dewey Riley was murdered, who is her on and off again love interest, and her best friend wrote a book about the Legacy killings, which infuriated Sam and Tara. This is one of the things Bridget and I joked about, is I love about Gail Weathers. At the end of every movie, she's like, that's it, I'm done. Never again. In the beginning of the next she's like, I did it again.
Speaker 2: She gets punched. That's the kind of a running joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she gets punched, and yeah, by the way, Sam is the daughter of killer Billy Loomis from the first movie, so she was writing a little bit about that. Gail informs them that in order to keep her family safe, Sydney has gone into hiding, and we will talk about that more. In the end, Sam's therapist is murdered by ghost Face and the murderer steals her file while weaving the ghost Face mass from the Hollywood Killings Scream three. This brings us to the laying out of the rules scene which they have in every movie, where Mendy explains that they are in a franchise and one of the big rules is anyone can die and the franchise can go on Luke Skywalker Rip, Dewey Riley Rip. But it's kind of funny because Scream three already made this point when it was like you're in a trilogy. But anyway, right, there's survivors of the Legacy killing sort of form a pact to stick together and have a lighthearted moment where they tease Sam about her boyfriend Danny across the lay. Meanwhile, said boyfriend sees their roommate to Quinn get attacked by ghost Face from his window, tries to get their attention, and then ghost Face attacks the rest of the group, eventually killing and leaving behind a mass from the Windsor College killing Scream too, so it's counting down. Also, there's a very scary scene of crossing an alley via a ladder suspended horizontally between two windows. Freaky. That is very reminiscent. The scene is Scream two where they're stuck in the car, the police car, and they have to like crawl out the front over ghost Face. No No. Gail tries to make amends with the group by bringing them into her investigation. She takes them to a theater that she found that contains a shrine set up for ghost Face, full of evidence now displayed as if it was like a movie prop museum, like if you were to go to a scream exhibit. It feels like that. The group splits up, very unsettled. Gail gets a call from gross Face at her apartment. This is sort of when they're like trying to set a trap for ghost Face and then they realize they're gone for Gail, and ghost Face kills Gail's boyfriend mocks her previous boyfriend, Dewey, before stabbing her and realizing the danger. Gala is in Sam and Tara arrived just in time to save her life. She is taken to the hospital. They decide to meet up with Kirby at the theater at her request in order to trap the killer. On the way there, they board a train filled with people just as ghost Face. Because this takes place at Halloween.
Speaker 3: On different faces. You had Mike Myers in there, yea different killers. Oh yeah, I wondered if they got permission for that.
Speaker 1: Oh they must have.
Speaker 2: They must have, right, Like that must have cost some money though.
Speaker 1: It was a creepy scene, and one of them stabs Mindy, who like missed the first train was on a separate train. When they get to the theater, Sam is confronted with the hallucination of her father, Billy Limis, which was the thing that happened a lot in the fifth one, and he's basically like, if you want to save your sister, you need to embrace your inner murderer, Like, we really gotta, we gotta get a move on on this. Sam then realizes they are locked in the theater. All of a sudden, there are two ghost faces and they attack Chad. Both Kirby and Detective Bailey, whose first name is Wayne, shows up. They both show up that their guns are drawn. Wayne claims that Kirby is the killer, that she never was sent here by the FBI, that she is obsessed and mentally disturbed after what happened to her. But then he shoots her and reveals he is a third ghost face, which is a first in the franchise Three Killers. They had to do it, and he's also the ghost face in charge because the other two are his children roommates Quinn not Dead faked the whole thing, and Ethan, and they both like made sure they get to live with the people they wanted to kill, which is a tripe, and we're going to talk about that and also guess what. They're Richie's family and they want revenge his surprise, a lot of surprises, that's true. I also talk about that yees to that end. They were the ones online spreading conspiracies and disparaging Sam. They want to pin the blame on her for all of the killings, basically exonerating Richie. Sam and Tara fight back, and Tara kills Quinn stabs Ethan while Sam puts on the ghostface mask from the original Woodsboro killings, the one her father wore in the first Scream, and calls Wayne using the pookoder to taunt him, which is something else that happens in the first Scream, and then kills him. Ethan makes another attack, but Kirby kills him with the TV that killed Stu Mocker in the first one. Sam promises to let Tara be more independent. Tara promises to go to therapy Mindy, Chad and Kirby are taken to the hospital. Sam stares at her father's mask for a long moment before tossing it away and following Tara and Danny, which, by the way, Danny has a whole thing where he's like, you shouldn't trust me.
Speaker 2: It's okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because she says I've had a good run with boyfriends. He's like, I get it, which we are going to talk about too, but yeah, that's that's the plot that does bring us to the themes. One of the big ones in this is definitely like sisterhood and overprotectiveness, or I guess you could argue legitimate protectiveness.
Speaker 3: Right, I don't think it's. None of this is overprotective, especially if they're being like online harassed.
Speaker 2: That's a little different.
Speaker 1: It is it is, And I think it's interesting that it totally makes sense that Tara is like, no, I want I want to have this whole college experience. I want to be normal. But the fact is they did go through this, and they are being harassed online, and Sam does have a real concern and trauma around that and keeping her safe and keeping her alive, So it's like it makes sense. And then you do have the scene at the end where Sam's like holding Tara and she's about to fall and the killers are coming from all the sides, and Tara's like, let me go, let me go, I could do this, and Sam lets her go. And Tara did. To her credit, she killed that one person and then almost the other guy. I mean, it feels weird to be like, yeah, you killed him, but in a movie like this, that's the point. I do like in the beginning because Tara is drunk at a college party, having college party and it's like, I want to go with this guy, and I like that all of her friends are like, no, you really shouldn't. Anna becaus like, no, this guy is no good for you, and that's when uh, Sam comes in. Days is soon. Yeah, She's like, I'm so sorry. I'm just gonna taste you in the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotta get it done.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But that it is a nice thread throughout that they are friends. They call themselves the Core for jokingly and then kind of seriously that they're a team. They talk about being like a found family and surviving and bonding through this like trauma and the Woodsboro Legacy. I really appreciated the camaraderie between Mendy and Kirby Whore you're like horror movies aficionados. They have like a whole scene where they're like quizzing each other, and I really like that scene. But it is true that I would never put myself on the same level as this, but protective of my brothers, but especially my younger brother, especially when I was younger. I've kind of like east back, but it is hard when you're like the line between and why I doing too much? Like is this more for me and less for them? Like all of those things. So that made me think about about that. There's certainly the theme of trauma in a lot of ways, a lot of ways, including the sisters in their relationship, but also the ex boyfriend, which is a plot in the second scream where Sydney has this sex boyfriend to this boyfriend, but she keeps her boyfriend was the killer in the first one, so she just has a understandable concern that maybe is the boyfriend and this one. And I feel like even Dewey says, who he's a cop, and he's like, you know, look at the boyfriend, and she has that conversation. Sam has conversation with her boyfriends in this one because her ex was the killer, one of the killers previously, and he is just like, well, don't trust me until this is over. Let's figure this out. There's also that we've talked about this a lot of times. But the whole aspect on like mental health and horror, so like having Sam go to a therapist, having the thing at the end where Tara agrees to go to a therapist, but also the killer like steals her file, Sam's file because they know they can manipulate Sam that way, but also how people perceive Sam because it is seen as like, oh, something must be wrong with her, She's probably the killer. She's well, she's going to therapy, and this is what the therapist is saying. But then then also on top of that, there's the whole thing with Kirby, which I'm glad they actually turned because at first I was like, oh no, when they're like she's crazy, she's the killer, she's obsessedes, I was like, oh, but they kind of like weaponized it because they knew people would believe it, and then turned out it wasn't true. And I'm glad that it turned out it wasn't true because we do see that trope all of the time. So I really liked that because that's what Scream does. That's what all these movies are about, is like taking a trope and then being like, let's flip that. So yeah, a lot of times it would be her, but it wasn't, and I'm glad. And then just the kind of the there's a through line throughout with Sydney and then now with Sam of this idea like you're gonna crack, You're gonna crack and then kill people, And they're both kind of consistently either gaslets or being told they're paranoid, even though I would again argue have reasons of me paranoid. They have PTSD and they're just gonna snap that all this trauma with your boyfriend it means you can't function. So I feel like there's a constant thing with that of the dismissing of their trauma or using it to be like, oh, you're the killer. You're definitely like I mean, a lot of our true crime shows like Snap to have titles like that in there, like You're just gonna one day snap. And that was a big theory because that's never been done so far, is that one of the main characters that you're like onboard with turns out to be the killer. But they do play with that this one and in a couple of them, so you have like Sam becoming the killer, like wearing the mask, using the voice again, I know. But we talked about this in the fifth one where the whole Star Wars thing where Ray is a Palpatine metaphor, which at the end of the fifth one, she's like, Oh, you want to kill her, I'll give you a killer. Sidney did the whole thing, but she didn't have She wasn't the whole Her father wasn't a killer, her her parents weren't killers. But that kind of the final girl of the victim as the victim versus a final girl of the killer. So it's like Sydney is kind of the first where she doesn't have this family thing looming over her. And then you've got Sam whose father was the original killer, and so that's she's a kind of different final girl. That's really interesting dichotomy. Yeah, and then there's there's something to say about sort of the the cycle of abuse here and the mass that her father wore when she puts that on. But again, she does become the killer then, and she looks at the mask and puts it away and chooses to go forth with her her sister and her boyfriend. But it is sort of suggestive of that idea that it's only a matter of time before she becomes her father and or it's just like hanging over her. And as you said, the blame the family trope is in here, but notably there is no mother. It is everyone presumably but the mother, yes, which I thought was interesting. It's also interesting to hear Sam describe killing Richie because I feel like most of the time that would have been painted in these movies specifically would have been painted as just self defense because he was trying to kill her. He had killed a lot of people. But because of who her father is, it seems more like evidence like she's also a killer, and that that whole idea of like come to the dark side, become a serial killer to save your sister. Again, look, I can't help it. It's Star Wars everywhere. Another thing I thought was interesting was the fact that the opening scene when the professor is killed, the killer is kind of like and you think, you know, horror like and you think you came down the stark alley and you did this, And we briefly talked about that in the episode we did with Bridget. But it is interesting as someone who does this, as someone who like I love to dissect, but I think there is a whole thing to be said about, like knowing the tropes but not knowing you're in a horror movie. I guess, like I don't know. I just I'd like that they commented on that though, that they commented on kind of the how a lot of people are dissecting these horror movies, and these movies lend themselves to that because there's so meta about horror movies. Also, something that was on my mind that we didn't get to talk about when Bridget was on, but I would love to come back, because we were sort of talking about like the media and how that maybe inspires killers or make people more violent. Those conversations we've all heard, and Bridget was making the point like when these movies were coming out, news media, like all day news media was really becoming a thing, and they weren't. They didn't receive the same rating like Y seven ORPG or whatever it would be that media did, so that they were kind of escaping the system while blaming the system, but doing the thing. And I do think that's interesting because so many of these movies have copycat killers and we've talked about, oh we haven't talked about but in our media, in our society. We've talked about, like there was a whole conversation of never saying a mass shooter's name, or like never because it'll inspire other people, and that's a bigger conversation than this. But I do think that's interesting that a lot of times it's not the movies, it's the people or copycat killers that saw it on the news. And then how often so many of these killers and throughout these movies are killing over things, like killing over grays. Because it's kind of implied that the professor in the beginning was in part killed because the guy didn't get a good grade I'm s which is real sad and awful. But then he's mad at her because he's like, you didn't you don't listen to your own you don't know the trope, so you're either you're ignoring them to come down this alleyway, and he talks about how she feels like an animal and like meat, and then the real ghost face calls and it's like, how does it feel before it kills him? And then this whole idea that they had to finish when Shei's filmed the killers in this movie but make it seem like he was not the killer and or was not to blame. Of course Gale. We talked about her, the complex nature of her and her relationship with her friends who are very much involved in a very like true crime type case, and then her as someone who wants to make money off the true crime type case. She even has a quote it's all about true crime limited series these days, which make me laugh. She does use her book to fight off ghost Space, which I thought was funny. Uh yeah, okay, and ghost Face makes a comment of like, who do you think will make money off of your death? There's also controlling the narrative, especially with the detective who blames Sam for radicalizing his son and his death because his son, Richie was very involved in this. Dab Movies was not happy with the newest Dab movie, wanted to make a storyline in real life that they would make the next Stab movie off of. And he's on Reddit boards and all this stuff. So not really her fault at all, but that's what the detective said. But that was one of the things throughout it. You're like, how are they getting this evidence? How are they getting this evidence? The ghost face mask and he's a detective and he had access to it, so he could kind of control that. The trope of the roommate, that is a huge horror movie trope, Oh the roommate, then they will always look out. The whole idea of assassinating the character is a big topic in a lot of these where they did purposely go online basically start a campaign to say no, it was her, it was Sam all along. Like I said earlier, this was supposed to be it was. It was like this one's different, the three murderers thing completely new. I'm still perplexed at how he was going to explain his daughter was alive. The detective the gun I think was supposed to be kind of a hint that it was a cop. But I don't know. Being not a fan of ghost Face, I think in the very first scene, you're supposed to be like, Okay, this is not because a lot of times it does turn out to be somebody who in some way respects ghost Face. But this was not that kind of leaning into the trope of the good cop that he was like the good the good guy, and he was gonna he really wanted to get to the bottom of this because what happened to his daughter. Then you get to see the evolution of the mask, all of the different masks and how they get more and more worn and torn and dirty. Interesting. So this brings us to kind of the elephant in the room. Sidney Prescott was not in it, and they did try to explain it as like she's taking care of herself. She deserves a happy ending, which I've talked about, Like I do feel that. I'm like, stay away, Sydney, You've been through enough. But the fact she's not in there, you're like, oh wait, something's missing. But okay. Yes. This was the first screen movie not to feature Nev Campbell Sidney Prescott and it was due to a pay disputes, and Campbell said the offer was insulting. Here is a quote from Newsweek. I felt the offer that was presented to me did not equate to the value I brought to the franchise. It's been a very difficult decision to move on. To all my screen fans, I love you. You've always been so incredibly supportive to me. I'm forever grateful to you and what this franchise has given me over the past twenty five years. I honestly don't believe that if I were a man and had done five installments of a huge blockbuster franchise over twenty five years. That the number that I was offered would be the number that would be offered to a man. I'm not just done with the chapter. I care about these movies. If they were to come to me with an amount that felt in keeping with the value that I bring them, I would certainly consider it. So that being said, like I mentioned previously, there is discussion she'll be in the next one. It is not confirmed at all. There is discussion, and I did appreciate that a lot, well, I won't say a lot, a couple at least. I didn't like go looking, but I saw a couple of high profile cases of her co stars supporting her. Matthew Lillard was very openly vocal about his support of her and her getting more money, which is nice because we know so often that is not the case when things like this happen. So I don't know, we'll see. Also, I wasn't convinced Gail was even going to come back. I thought she might die and they'd kind of leave it open. I'm assuming she's going to come back unless they don't pay her enough. They left it open that she could have died at the end. I was I like, looked it up afterwards. I was like, Gail is still alive?
Speaker 3: That they said she's fine, Then they don't. They say she's at the hospital, she's recovering.
Speaker 1: They say she's recovering. But I was like, they could kill her. It could be like making sure. I don't think they would.
Speaker 3: It would be really silly. At the very least, they need to say she's in hiatus or hiding, like because they might want to bring her back. Because this seems to be a never ending thing. Yes, but isn't there a rumor that Matthew Willer is going to be in there?
Speaker 1: There is a rumor he's going to be in there. I am so perplexed by it. I mean, he seemed it as a door dill, but.
Speaker 2: I mean the TV.
Speaker 1: It could be either. It could be the thing like with Billy Loomis. Though I feel like they can't hold that trick too many times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't do that.
Speaker 3: You can't have too many like I mean, actually you can if you keep doing the movie and focus on one at a time. That's so the next one ends up being the Matthew Lillard offspring. And they're fighting because they're blaming Billy for killing him because he does kill them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Interesting, Yeah that could be there.
Speaker 2: You go, I just saw spoiler.
Speaker 1: I knew you were involved in the writing of that.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Also, there is something that they're trying to do at the end of this one where they are also implying. Because it's been mostly oh Sam could be a killer, now it's like, oh, Tara could be a killer.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, Tara was like the one encouraging her to kill him, like a part. She's like, I'm gonna be human, I'm better than this. And you see the look on Tara's face where it's like yeah, and then it's just.
Speaker 2: Do what what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: To finish them essentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's like it's of a strange because she's not directly related to Billy Loomis. I'm not even sure that matters that much, but she's the one that's like, oh, leaning into it.
Speaker 3: There's this whole thing and it's not just scream but like the old narrative that a psychopath or sociopath is passed down slash hereditary and is still being used everywhere, except there's no proof at all.
Speaker 2: Anywhere.
Speaker 3: I'm saying that that's the case mental health, sure, but that doesn't mean sociopathic serial killer. Like that's a whole different conversation. We know that sociopaths can also be CEOs and politicians oftentimes, But like this narrative that just keeps perpetuating that it has been fairly debunked, essentially keeps happening and reinforced, which I find interesting because I've seen that in a lot of K dramas as well. I'm like, I'm very confused, especially when it's like they're adopted, but oh, I know that my father was a serial killer.
Speaker 2: My biological father was a serial killer, so so am I.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, that's not how that completely goes because the environment, okay, whatever, But there's a lot of conversation in that in which we see Sam's character being that, which, by the way, every time they say Sam and Samantha, I'm just like, I always confused because my name is so rarely used as main characters.
Speaker 2: Like, so I'm like, what's happening, what's happening?
Speaker 3: But yeah, Taro just being sick and tired of it and wanted to kill, Like I feel like she should come out as being the full killer. She's just tired of Almond and just takes them all out.
Speaker 1: I mean she was giving off that vibe at then she is definitely give it off a.
Speaker 2: Vibe like it's my head. She's gonna just go after a screen fans Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where people like get so obsessed and they're on Reddit about how amazing he is and attacking the family.
Speaker 2: So she just everybody here, I just made two movies.
Speaker 1: You did, You're welcome? Wow, you could be rolling in the dough Samantha.
Speaker 3: I'm giving damn it. Like I heard like screen producers are listening to us.
Speaker 1: That would be such a like dark heavy load to pull off the like terror has been radicalized by Reddit. It is now killing people, but like.
Speaker 3: Not because she's a fan, but because she's pissed off that they're perpetuating those and making her life miserable.
Speaker 1: And then the campaign would be like, oh no, because Screen does have They had what I think is a I mean X it works, but it could have gone very wrong where they had ghost space factors dresses go space walking around New York at night and going up to like cameras.
Speaker 3: I told you, it was just turning very dark. That I had a defect case where one of the spouses were tormenting his spouse. His spouse by randomly placing the screen mask.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, we came to investigate and she was she was not doing well anyway, so which was perfect layout for someone to like gaslight her essentially, And she pointed to the back and was like, do you see this? And we turned back around and it was the ghostface mask and I was like, what is happening. She's like, he put it there last night, and we were like what. And this was before like security cameras were so accessible, like you can get them, but it was expensive. It was for rich people, and she was going through a really ugly divorce. So I was just like, I don't know what to do with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's no good.
Speaker 2: That was my era.
Speaker 3: That was two thousand and five, two thousand and five, two thousand and four.
Speaker 1: Right around the fourth one. Nah, that was right around the third one. The fourth one was excuse.
Speaker 3: Me, I was gonna say, I think it was still in the trilogy because the third one came out as big.
Speaker 2: The second was like.
Speaker 1: Ooh m oh, I love their well, I love them all but I do think that the interesting thing about ghost Face, and we did talk about this in the Fifth Wood, and I promise I'll wrap up, even though I did skip a whole section of Star Wars comparison. That's fine.
Speaker 2: Writing it out.
Speaker 1: I've done enough. I don't need to do it anymore. There is an interesting thing about ghost Face and that he she, they is not the same killer. It's not like Michael Myers somehow got resurrected like every movie somehow, it is a different killer every time. Uh ooh, that could be an interesting Oh no, but it's a different killer every time. But they wear the mask and it's like they are ghost Face. And they use that in a lot of the movies where they're at a movie premiere and everyone's wearing the ghost Face mask, but one of them actually is ghost Face and kills you in front of everyone. Like I feel like the ghost Face mask has this because because it does that, when I see someone dressed as that, I am legitimately nervous, like, oh god, where.
Speaker 2: Were we recently and you're like ghost Face.
Speaker 1: Oh, there was a bunch of them at Dragon Con. There was a bunch, That's what it was. Yeah, but it was kind of funny because he was come up the escalator and I was like.
Speaker 2: I'm going on down the stairs things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Well, I have had a blast. I've had so much fun. I do recommend this movie. If you're in any way interested in slashers and horror and dissecting horror, I recommend it. We might be doing more. We don't know.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and the second after thing is done, so yeah, let's talk about more movies.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. We will announce it one way or the other. Our Sex in the City happy hours are probably gonna resume in the new year. Yes, but we might be doing some scream happy hours in the meeting.
Speaker 2: I think we should.
Speaker 1: I think we should. Wow, of course I think we should. But yes, well, listeners, if you have any thoughts about this, if you have any movies we should do for Spoiled Saturdays, if you have any like Thanksgiving movie recommendations, let us know because we're trying to sess that out. You can email us at stuffidomom stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Step podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff I Never told you. You can find us on Tea Public. We have a store merchandise and we have a book that you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina who just had a birthday, Happy birthday, Yes, our executive producer Maya, and our contributor Joey. Thank you, and thanks to you for listening. Stuff I Never Told You is production from my Heart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, Regulus, and to your favorite show