Speaker 1: And That's what You Really Missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's What You Really Missed podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Jenna, I am Kevin. So today we have season three, episode four, Pot of Gold, that originally aired on November first, twenty eleven. There was a four week break between the last episode and this episode. But we have one of the sweetest people in the world who joins the Glee cast of this episode, one Damian McGinty, straight from the Glee Project on over to the og Glee and our lives are changed.
Speaker 1: What a sweeting happened, right, I just can't even imagine. I was watching, like how hard that must have been for him to come from the Glee Project and come onto our show at the height were you know, in our three hundred the musical performance, like there was just a lot, we were huge and and that's a lot for somebody. But he came in with such grace and he was just so sweet and we just loved him, I know. So he was the best, the best, and this episode he was oh this was his episode. Yeah, I mean it is pot of Gold, yeah, right.
Speaker 2: It's named after him.
Speaker 1: This episode was directed by our friend Adam Shankman, and we love so so very much. There was a lot happening around the episode and in the world.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean Adele was back and bigger than ever. She had the number one song in the country, Someone Like You, which will be featured in a couple episodes.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness for one of the best songs ever. The number one movie was Puss and Boots, which I have not seen.
Speaker 2: You've never seen Puss in Boots? No, actually I think I have either. So on October twenty sixth, a couple of days before this air, the cast and crew celebrated Glee's three hundredth musical performance Damn Girl, Damn Same. It was during the rumor has it someone Like You filming?
Speaker 1: I remember?
Speaker 2: Actually yeah I did too. So they were all there. There's pictures of it. Rob Stringer came, the head of Columbia.
Speaker 1: We got our plagues.
Speaker 2: Dana came, was that of Disney.
Speaker 1: Everybody was there. All of our creators were there. Everybody was there. Basic one, yeah, Big one, so special, well, three hundred and I don't know, five hundred something together?
Speaker 2: Did we know we weren't even halfway?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Okay, let's talk about this episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's quite a few songs.
Speaker 3: Very very eclectic. Yes, group Amian gets two solos, he does. There's a lot of a variety, yes, okay. In music Okay, we have a muppet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have being Green originally something by Kermit the Frog Last Friday Night, which was a very meta thing happening, very meta because Darren and I were in the music video original music video, we have waiting for a Girl like you, candy Man and take care of yourself.
Speaker 1: Right this episode. I have some memories and some not non memories. I remember Damien coming in and watching him do his solo. I remember Brittany thinking he was a leprechaun. That was very That was the main thing that I remembered when this episode popped out. Yeah, but did you guys? You guys had done the music video ready for Katy Perry.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, we had done that, and then I remember hearing that the song was going to be in it and Darren was originally singing all of it. I mean, he basically did. I was like, you guys, you do realize that we were both in the music video and I was in the music video A lot you're like, oh yeah. So then they added me to like a little thing just so they could say that you guys were the two people that were in the video were also singing the song. But you didn't really sing no, I know, I sing like an octave on like the prehook or something.
Speaker 1: And he really likes her. Glee people, she did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we co hosted the Teen Choice Awards with her.
Speaker 1: I did her music video much much later you did.
Speaker 2: That was a great video, by the way.
Speaker 1: That was a fun video. I liked that one. That was fun to do.
Speaker 2: She also had to make a music video.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, she does budget, honey, Yes she does budget. Okay, we've got uh, we've got our new Irish friend. Damien as Rory Flanagan. Agima Menzel is back because she is doing the Trouble Tones and there's a whole storyline with Beth, which again I just can we just put that storyline to it.
Speaker 2: We'll get into that. I have a lot of thoughts, so okay, some fun facts, okay. Damien McGuinty was one of the two winners of the first season of The Glee Project, which was if you won, you got a seven episode recurring character, Big Big, Glee. That's huge, that's a third of a season. Obviously, this is his first episode. Ryan revealed that on Damien's for State filming that he was shoved into a locker twenty five times and that on his first take in his first song, the crew gave him a huge ovation.
Speaker 1: Oh that wasn't made him feel good. Yeah, he's the sweetest, just so nice. This episode was written in co by co executive producer Ali Adler, who became one of our great friends. And it was the first episode not to be well officially you know, on the actual script by any of the main three m Big Day, Big Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This was also the second episode directed by Adam Shankman, who did Rocky Horror and He'll come Back a few times. And Adam started working on this episode on September second, and filming ended on the twenty second. This episode in Asian F were shot in parallel for several days until Asian F finished musical finale on September sixteenth. I remember that.
Speaker 2: One of the first times we started parallel shooting, yes, in current shooting.
Speaker 1: Well, and when we say parallel shooting, that means whoever's not working on one episode is probably shooting on the other set for another. So there's double cruise. So if you're on whichever episode our normal crew was on, you'd have an extra crew that would come in for that time to do it. So we didn't have our normal camera.
Speaker 2: People, well, they would split them up. So you have an A camera and a B camera, and usually the B camera on the normal crew would become the A camera.
Speaker 1: Dwayne would go over and be a camera. We love Dayne. But sometimes though you would be shooting and you wouldn't know who anybody was, a full B crew, but because you just were behind and time and you gotta get it done, you know it does? It does tell us about the episode Jenna, okay, okay. So a new foreign exchange student, Rory Flannigan our sweet Sweet Damien enrolls at McKinley and crashes with Brittany, who thinks he is a leprechaun. And meanwhile, Mercedes attempts to recruit new members to join the Troubles, Shelby's newly form glee club, and Sue's congressional campaign heats up with the new candidate.
Speaker 2: So things start really popping off. Rory shows up and is living with Brittany, and she clearly thinks that he's a leprechaun and no one else can see him, and he's granting her three wishes so he can get to her pot of gold. Ridiculous, insane, But it's like partly sweet, also feels very high school. But obviously, you know, Santana's like, no, thank you, we're not We're not doing that, but I do love it's sort of the impetus to Santana and Brittany then sort of have to actually figure out what they are to one another, because here's this new threat coming in. Sweet Damien, who's picking out all the marshmallows.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, her lucky arms on the lucky charms, My dad, do that?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I hated the marshmallows.
Speaker 2: You hated the marshmallow?
Speaker 1: Yes, so I could have just gotten in the alphabets I didn't have the marshmallow. Isn't it same thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But the marshmallows is the best part.
Speaker 1: Disgusting.
Speaker 2: Okay, you've never liked sweet things.
Speaker 1: No controversial, I know. Okay, Well, so Rory has a big crush and Brittany. Yeah, so we get to where we get to kind of see where Brittany and Santana are in their relationship.
Speaker 2: But meanwhile Rory is just being bullied by everyone because he's new. Has an accent.
Speaker 1: Well do you remember him singing, Oh and sweet Finn trying to help him out seeing from Afar when he sings to take care of yourself. Yeah, it is a really.
Speaker 2: Sweet He's such a beautiful voice he does.
Speaker 1: I have to be honest, I don't really remember the watch watching it. I have to go back and actually watch it, but I don't watched it. I remembered him, I definitely remembered him, and he just did in so well. Like he he didn't ruffle feathers. He was so happy to be there. He did his job and did it well. And I remember when we were watching him, and you see they cut to the Glee club and like I'm sitting there and we are sitting behind me, Harry sitting there, Like we're all sitting there, We're all like looking an adoration. That's real. Oh thought he was so cute.
Speaker 2: And you want to look for somebody like that. And I think we're also conscious of the fact that we know this could be intimidating, right exactly, You're coming into a room full of how many crew members plus us that he associates, probably with the show and good is Real? A ballad like stand here, don't move and just sing how uncomfortable two songs songs and also his first number he was singing in SlowMo, which we now know if you've been listening to this yours, you're performing at one and a half to two times the speed. It's like, so also speed quickly. He nailed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, nailing it.
Speaker 2: I loved his budding friendship with Finn that.
Speaker 1: That's very cute, very cute. Somebody had to look up Brown, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he got abused this episode. He really did.
Speaker 1: But I loved when they were like, no, we're not gonna call mister Shue or Sue. We're gonna call Beast. Yeah, the hockey guys.
Speaker 2: We like, gotta mullet. You can go away. Now, Santana and Brittany are seemingly dating. Now they go to Bread Steaks, and Santana's doing two things right. She's trying to get Brittany to join the Trouble Tones, which we'll get to. We talked about Mercedes in a second, and then she's also figuring out their dating situation with that scene at Breadsticks.
Speaker 1: It's so cute.
Speaker 2: She's like, I want you to hold my hand and then she puts the neck for nice.
Speaker 1: So good man, they're so good. I mean, but this is the beginning, right like, this is this is where it starts.
Speaker 2: This is sort of the first time that it's not hinted at anymore. It's not Santana wanting Brittany, but Brittany that this is it right here we go buckaloup. Nobody knows, right, nobody knows. Also, though Mercedes trying to get Santana to join the trouble sounds and she's like, why would it be interesting in all cl club?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not brilliant.
Speaker 2: Do you think this episode looks different? It's I don't know if it was my TV, but the episode it looks darker.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, never mind.
Speaker 1: I don't think that Ryan would allow that.
Speaker 2: I know, but I was wondering sometimes because we should two episodes at once. Somebody had a different DP or coloring, it looked different. Okay, I don't think so, but okay, I'll.
Speaker 1: Be right.
Speaker 2: Glad. We're the authorities on this.
Speaker 1: So something else that's going on is that the glee club is distraught because Mercedes has left and Santana decides to leave and take Brittany. It convinces Brittany to go with her, who was not into going because.
Speaker 2: Coreys that Corey, but Finn's got his ear to the ground, to.
Speaker 1: The ground and it causes a muck in the glee club. But more importantly than the new directions, like who cares about them, there's the Trouble Tones. We are we are getting full Trouble Tones numbers. Now we've got Santana, we got Brittany, We've got Mercedes, we get Sugar Matta, We've got a gaggle of ladies, talented ladies doing one of the cutest numbers that I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: I have a question, though, yes, because I know, obviously we do it all the time in new directions, but new Directions doesn't necessarily have the finesse that the Trouble Tones has. Yeah, what is the purpose of this number? Like, yeah, they're in full costume.
Speaker 1: Look, they're practicing because they haven't done this yet. And you know, Shelby used to make vocal adrenaline rehearsing costume because she's vocal adrenaline, vocal adrenaline. Oh no, for sure, but that's why they're in costume is my my theory.
Speaker 2: It is so good.
Speaker 1: Oh god, it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's so good together.
Speaker 1: And also just like like she being like, we're in trouble we.
Speaker 2: Had no ship. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Well wake up?
Speaker 2: Did you see them film this in I r L I did.
Speaker 1: I caught the end of it, and I just remember being like, why didn't I get to wear that costume.
Speaker 2: Tones?
Speaker 1: I was a little pissed. I was a little jealous that I wasn't in the Trouble Tones. I felt a little left out. I'm not gonna lie. But then I thought, oh, there's a chance for Tina to get some more stuff in new directions because the heavy hitters are gone. No. No, I was very jealous of the Trouble Tones and that will continue. I'm still envious to this day. But this number, I remember thinking like, oh, this is not just gonna be a small storyline, like I thought maybe it would kind of disappear with when like Adina disappeared or something, but like, this is actually I figured I realized it was gonna be a longer, kind of drawn out storyline, which I was very excited about.
Speaker 2: Did you end up getting more songs?
Speaker 1: TVD got it?
Speaker 2: Okay. I was having a panic because like, oh, we now have Damien and Darren, I'm never singing.
Speaker 1: Again opposite more males, right, exactly exactly. But I loved watching this number and I was like, I don't really know those stack of dancers. They got some new gals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did get some new gals. Yeah, very exciting that's happened. I think this season there's some of our old regular dancers were off booking tours and things.
Speaker 1: Right, and our troubletons are going to like triple in size, Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, because I remember being there being a lot more of them towards the end.
Speaker 2: There was already a lot and Candy Man, I remember it being just I thought it was just the four of them, But now of dancers.
Speaker 1: You're right, Okay, you're right, You're right.
Speaker 2: Oh that's pretty incredible. Also when they bring in when Brittany and Santana come in for the first time and put Sugar in her place, Vanessa ns again the show just you give her an inch, you know, it's and she takes scenery.
Speaker 1: And it's so welcomed because God help me without what would we be without Sugar Matta?
Speaker 2: Yes? Really Also, I mean her dialogue with Santana dialogue is a match made in heaven, right right, And Vanessa is like a little dancer. She's back there doing her thing.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's like a testament to Vanessa Leni's and the unique performer that she is. There's nobody like her. That's why she gets tired so much, because she's one of kind. But she takes like every small thing and makes and continues to give it detail. She's not like, oh, I just have one line. She like is like, I have one line, let me make it the best I can make it. You know, it's really specially away to her.
Speaker 2: She is entering something like every time they cut away to me, I'm just Kevin, Like in Last Friday Night, it's like, Oh, we're just being us, having a ball.
Speaker 1: I also want to point out there's a little like continuity thing. The other story that we're going to talk about is Sue is going to cut the budget for Glee Club because her palm pounds cost a lot of money or and and it's gonna cause west Side story to kind of go be canceled for a little bit, but Shelby has the budget. Is the Sugar Mata Dad's funded like Trouble Tones completely because it's the same school. Let's be.
Speaker 2: The whole thing. It depends on.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, so Sugar Mata is funding. Yes, Okay, got it because I was just a little like, right.
Speaker 2: Totally because those That's a good point.
Speaker 1: You know, because those costumes are cute. They didn't look cheap.
Speaker 2: None of that look cheap. Maybe that's also why they have all this budget. They can just spend, spend, spend, which we cannot. I also think it's I mean, the final straw for Santana to leave is Last Friday Night, right, And she's like, We're just never going to get any solos anymore, which is fair. Side note, because we've referenced Burlesque and Glee and now we've referenced Last Friday Night, Mata do, Diana Agron, Darren Chris and myn.
Speaker 1: Kevin Mquel exist? You do? You do? You should add that to a TikTok weird, let's talk about Last Friday Night, Okay.
Speaker 2: I mean it was a fun number. Silly number sort of comes out of nowhere. For no reason.
Speaker 1: Literally exactly what I said to David watching it last night. I was like, Oh, let's just remind the glee club that we can have fun song.
Speaker 2: A lot of this episode felt like that to me. Yeah, the music was a little forced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure. We just got to get to west Side Story, do you know what I mean? We just got to like get ourselves there.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, I mean the cliff Notes is like spark Notes Damien west Side Story. Right, you got to get Damien in. You got to get the girls to.
Speaker 1: Leave and they get to west Side Story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because west Side is going to be a beast.
Speaker 1: But the musical is canceled right because of Zoo. She's cutting and she she convinces Figgins to cut the budget. But that inspires somebody new to We're getting Bert. We're getting Bert as a writing candidate. This is very exciting and I don't remember it better. Literally, him sitting in the newsroom like Michael Mally's back was once a regular and nour recurb but still here. And yeah, the budget. There's a lot going on with Kurt and Blaine and Finn. Yeah, because Kurt and Finn obviously have the whole thing with Rachel last episode with the with the president and you know, running for class president, and now Blaine and Finn are like getting into it, which I like, you do.
Speaker 2: I like it because I like that Finn is protective of the glee club, like trying to be a leader, because a lot of times he doesn't necessarily get to show that, and when he does, it's always like a big thing, like you need to step up and take the reins, right, And then he's like no, no, like we can all be weird and cll eseular names and mess up to each other, but you're new. You don't get the same license to like make decisions like we do with each other, which I understand, and like, yeah, just because he's good, he's been in the glee club, he's dating Kurt, who's his brother. You're still new here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of was like on Finn's side. Yeah, even when Blaine, you know, comes back with that line about being inclusive or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's like a good comeback, but Finn still right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, stand up, Finn.
Speaker 2: Stand Except Finn calling Brittain this episode, Yeah that wasn't good. No, but that scene at the end was so sweet. Oh he apologizes.
Speaker 1: It is really sweet.
Speaker 2: Breaks my hat, breaks my hat. I did also love. I mean, once once Bert finds out that the budget is being cut and most side story isn't gonna happen, he rounds up the funeral parlor people, the cream batorium people, all that into Faggan's office and they pay for it, and Bert's fired up and he's pissed, and then Shoe has like a light bulb, always a little late per usual, just two steps behind. Yeah, yeah, shows up. Also, you never really get to see Shoe and Burt together. And I like that he tries to go recruit him to run for office as a riding candidate against Sue, and he's like, already doing it, curtsy campaign manager.
Speaker 1: Already doing it. Yeah, it's fun to see the adults together. We don't really get to see Mike work with those.
Speaker 2: It's like a silly adult storyline which Bert never gets to do right, which Sue exclusively almost gets to.
Speaker 1: Do right right. It's must have been fun for Mike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, weird thing, Jenna, did you notice that the first song doesn't come into almost fourteen minutes?
Speaker 1: I know, it's very that is very weird. Maybe that's what looked different to you this episode, Yeah, just felt weird. It's a little different. Yeah, Poddo Gold was always a weird. I remember reading it being like, this is a little strange. It just didn't It felt like a little out. But I liked it. I really enjoyed watching it. I will say this also felt weird because when we like this was the beginning of not having another some of our like usual suspects in the Glee club. So like Kurt was gone for a while, we didn't have Chris, and we didn't have Chris to work with, and now we're going to lose all the girls and it's really weird without them. In the choir room when we were shooting, I remember being like, it's it's eerily quiet and empty. Yes, like Na not making cracking her jokes and like Amber laughing at that. It just felt like so off and I was like, oh my god. And then when we all I remember very vividly shooting that number, that that little moment where they're rehearsing and we go up to the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh that was at night.
Speaker 1: And I love those scenes. Shooting those scenes. We have to say anything, you just have to give a good look and get out of there.
Speaker 2: I those west Side story and then the other.
Speaker 1: Storyline they were that I want to die is the beath storyline. Quinn trying to get Beth back she gave her away, and I don't know that this was handled quite properly to me, But Quinn is trying to set and setting Shelby up to basically call child protective Services. She's gonna plant some shit in the house while they're babysitting. They've convinced Shelby that they can babysit Beth, that they babysit the the little gingerloids or whatever. I don't know about this, Kevin.
Speaker 2: I don't like it. I don't like it all.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm glad that you're on board with me because I feel like i'm alone.
Speaker 2: It also feels so soapy.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what it is. I feel like there's a different show drama.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, I don't want it. I don't need it. Okay, okay, you need to use all of them, but you're taking us away from the high school, right And yeah, it's also just like it's really shitty of Quinn to be planting like hard drugs around the house and things and then.
Speaker 1: Puck like trying to remove them all, then him and Shelby like good, really inappropriate.
Speaker 2: However, that one feels like it makes way more sense, like Puck with the teacher, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, sure it's inappropriate. Bad, But like, I enjoyed watching Damien in this episode. I love the trouble tones this episode. To me, it could do without it in the season three upward trajectory that we were on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, I would just like to say that more Carol, we need more Carol.
Speaker 1: Well, we always need more Carrol. And then we just like lose Ashley Fink so weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, is she also in the basement?
Speaker 1: We just find Carol and Lauren's I see in the basement with cobwebs. Yeah, like hello, so funny. I don't know, Kevin, it feels like that's the episode.
Speaker 2: To me, it's hard when you're not really in it that much. I wasn't really the first half of the season. I'm sort of in my a, so I don't me too.
Speaker 1: Let's do some TARTI takes, okay, please, these are ouchies.
Speaker 2: You know. There's a racist joke at the top of the episode pre usu. It feels like the crutch like to just yeah do to go.
Speaker 1: There and Quinn planting the drugs and trying to get Beth back also feels a little cringey to me. Absolutely okay, best dance move, I mean candy Man, candy Man, entirety of candy Man hands down and Sugamata is dancing best all candy Man handy Man, and I give a notable notable two. Damien mcintee, Absolutely yeah, okay. Best performance by a prop man.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe they lucky charms.
Speaker 1: That's good, okay, I'll go with that one.
Speaker 2: The angry mom sign is also good.
Speaker 1: That is very funny. Best lines.
Speaker 2: I like the crematorium owner. He goes and mine is a crematorium. So we also make and deliver a delicious brickup and pizza. I yelped, I heard that and I let out.
Speaker 1: At Brittany says what that surpach kids are just gummy bears that turn to Britain.
Speaker 2: He had some classics. Wait, isn't this a date Chapan? Because I ordered trimp scramps scramps.
Speaker 1: Okay, performance MVP, I'm giving it. I'm giving it to Damien. It's got to be Damien shout out to Corey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honorable mentioned to Corey, but Damien was really lifting heavy and for the first episode, like that's crazy. Shit be found on TikTok. Jenna goodness, gracious.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, it's so good.
Speaker 2: So oh yeah, that is the correct reaction. Pegas's girl a cap on TikTok. She wrote already whenever they let him out of his wheelchair on Glee, and.
Speaker 1: She is a dancing song. They are oh my god, Kevin Sir.
Speaker 2: Dressed cooler than Artie but you know, a nod to Artie.
Speaker 1: Oh this is very good.
Speaker 2: It's so good, awesome and also like terrifyingly accurate. I've watched it a lot of times. She's also a very good dancer, so true. And she just looks cool. I already never looked that cool ever, I mean you did. Yeah, she crushes this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is good.
Speaker 2: I thin you get those boots.
Speaker 1: That's like Tina Boots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tina Boots.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Someone was like, I wasn't paying attention. I thought you were Phoebe Bridgers.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, get it, Phoebe.
Speaker 2: It's Phoebe Bridgers dressed as already dancing.
Speaker 1: That is very okay, thanks for joining us. For pot of Gold. You guys, next week's episode. I'm not gonna lie. I fast forwarded and I watched a bunch of the musical numbers. I'm gonna go back and watch all episode.
Speaker 2: But I love that you and I both did that without doing.
Speaker 1: It's a good one. It's a good one. That's a good one. Okay. Thanks for joining us, you guys. Tune in next week for some more Yeah Glee season three.
Speaker 2: Drama, and that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and That's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.