Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Morning everybody, it's the j Envy Charlamagne to God, we are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed, brother black Thought, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, thank you, thank you, thank you, Larry black Thought. I'm great. I'm great. I feel great this morning. Man.
Speaker 4: I put out amazing book called The Upcycled Self, Cycled Self.
Speaker 5: What does that title meant?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 6: Essentially, it's about, you know, putting those parts of our of our of ourselves, of our of our past. You know what I'm saying that I'm no longer going to service or no longer going to service in the same way to a different use, you know what I'm saying, to a better use.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So that's that's what it's about. Really, it's a it's a self help memoir of sorts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the art of becoming who we are.
Speaker 4: Always wonder why did it take us so long to discover who we actually are?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, you know, it's a it's it's a process, you know what I mean, it's it's it's valleys and peaks, and I think it's uh, you know, you you you you arrive at and understanding of who you are you know, uh, over time. So it's really no shortcut, you know what I'm saying. It's a uh it's a lot of people that think you can go from from you know, A A to Z, but you gotta you gotta go B, C, D, E.
Speaker 5: F G first, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And it teaches you too that you know, everything is parallel, like there's really nothing behind.
Speaker 6: You absolutely, you know what I mean. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and and and this book is about that too. It's about you know, accepting uh the present, you know what I mean. It's just you know, living, uh, being more intentional about about your presence.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's that's that's why I'm at with it.
Speaker 3: Did you get a chance to deal with all the trauma before you put it in this book?
Speaker 1: Or was it some of it was releasing that trauma by writing this book.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a lot of the trauma, you know, it was it was addressed in during the process, you know, and that's that's what made it, you know, just like this was my therapy. It was really you know, a cathartic sort of experience, and more so than I'd expected. I mean, you know, you know your your history, right, but when it's laid out there, you know what I mean, when you have it on on the Q cards and you know what I mean and you're reading it, uh, you know in a linear sort of way. I mean, it just hits different man, it hits it hits differently. And there was something that uh, my co author Jasmine Martin was able to, uh to employ like a tool she was able to use during this process that you know, it just it really hit me hard when I was reading one of the final drafts of the book and it was you know, she was able to speak. There's an a side section where you hear, uh, you know my mother, like you hear my mother's perspective, and uh, the way she was able to, uh, you know, just to approximate my mother's perspective in her voice, That's what really really hit me hard in the process.
Speaker 3: Did you have did you have a question your faith as a kid growing up? Because you talk about so much death in your life and all the stuff that you've been through, did you ever say, you know, what, does this really exists?
Speaker 1: Is there really a God or whoever you believe it? Did you have a question your faith?
Speaker 2: At all I did.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's definitely been times, you know when you I've questioned my my faith, uh you know, or I mean just on the existential tip, you know what I mean, like if there's a god, you know, how could all of this you know, loss and trauma and and and and and death, uh, you know exists. It's some of the stuff that I write about. How how was the world this ugly? If you made it in your image?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying. That's one of my bars from a song called Dear God. But yeah, to answer your question, definitely.
Speaker 1: How did you get that back?
Speaker 3: And the reason I asked is if you don't know, when you read the book, you'll find out that you lost your father at a young age.
Speaker 1: You lost your mom at a young age as well. Both both have murdered.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, murder victims.
Speaker 1: But how did you get that faith back?
Speaker 2: Through the arts? Through the art? Man?
Speaker 6: Like for me, it was it was it was visual art, which was my gateway you know, into music, and and that's that's what really saved my life.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: It was a game changer that I would have been on the I was already on it. I was on that path, and you know, me meeting quest love when I did, which you know I talk about in the book, and just getting on on that musical trajectory of the arts is what really saved me. Now, I know you was a baby when your father was tragically murdered, when the teenager when your mother was Were you able to process that pain in the moment or was that something that you dealt with as you got older.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's something that I'm still dealing with.
Speaker 6: I definitely was not able to process it in the moment, you know, no matter how hard I tried, right, you know, I wanted to feel all the emotion that that you you know, you expect you would expect one to feel when you experienced that sort of loss. But I mean for me, it was I mean, it took forever before I was even able to shed a tear about, you know, my mother's murder. Know, And I think it's just because there was so many layers of callous and and scar tissue to sort of work through.
Speaker 2: And that's what that's what this book is about.
Speaker 6: It's about that armor that you know, at one point in time, it might it might serve as a defense mechanism. It might you know, protect you, but as we move through life and you get into different spaces, you start to interact with different people, and you know, you're now you in these different dynamics, they no longer service in the same way.
Speaker 4: What about vengeance and revenge like, how do you ultimately let.
Speaker 5: Let that go?
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, yeah, I'm I feeling I definitely feel like I have. It's that's that was just a wise move. I think I definitely came to to to understand as a young person, when I was still a teenager that uh, you know, holding on to uh to to negative energy in that way. You know, it's as that's as detrimental to you know, the beholder as it is to whoever you're trying to project it upon.
Speaker 2: So there, Yeah, I've never really sat.
Speaker 6: With uh, you know, whole vengeance in that way, you know what I mean, as far as like in the in my dad's case, uh it was it's still it was never a solve murder. But in my mom's case, uh, you know, they they they apprehended someone shortly after and uh, you know, we went through the trial and everything, and you know, he received the sentence and then there was a mistrial of it all, and he was we had to sit through it again. So I sat through actually through my mother's murder trial twice, you know. And but in that, you know, once it, once it was done, it was something that I had to let go of, you know what I mean, in order for me to be able to move forward.
Speaker 3: So and you still had love for for filling regardless of everything that happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that gotta be tough.
Speaker 6: To absolutely, Yeah, yeah, I have. I absolutely have love, you know, for for Philadelphia. That's that's the place that made me. But you know, it's also it's one of those you know, it could make you, it could break you, you know what I mean. And it's the city of brotherly love. That love has always been a tough love.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Is there anything you learned about, uh, your parents in this book that you previously didn't know, especially your father.
Speaker 6: There's not much that I really learned about my father that you know, hadn't already been told to me. But one thing that I really had to deal with in writing this book was I had to, you know, just sit with the level of grace.
Speaker 2: That my mother had extended to me as a young person.
Speaker 6: I burned the house down at the age of six, which is sort of way the book begins. And you know, I just knew I was in for it. I thought I was in trouble and you know what I mean, just guilt and you know, all those feelings were sort of you know, bubbling, uh, you know, like running through my body.
Speaker 2: And my mom came home.
Speaker 6: Obviously, my only concern was, you know, safe, everybody was safe, right, and yeah, just you know, the grace that she extended at that time, and it was just really surprising, you know what I mean, And it was a beautiful thing, and it just gave me a different sort of insight into who she was and in retrospect, you know what I mean now, you know, as an adult, just to go back and relive it. Yeah, it just gave me different take on my mother as a person, you.
Speaker 4: Know, and you understood and the magnitude of what happened at the age of six, I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't know that I really understood the magnitude the way I knew I'd done something that you know, I mean, there was no turning back from you know what I'm saying. It was something that I couldn't undo. And uh and it felt, you know, super serious. But I think in that moment, I just shut down, like that was my you know, my my knee jerk response, my my reflex was I just shut down, and you know, I just I walked down the stairs like there wasn't a fires, you know.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I guess it gives.
Speaker 6: You a different insight too, into your children, right yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So how do you do you give that grace to your kids?
Speaker 3: Because you know, as as a parent, you know a lot of times when your kids do something, the first reactor is to get mad, to get upset, and.
Speaker 1: You want to scold them so they don't do it again.
Speaker 3: But you got to go back to when you were six and you did something way worse than I'm sure any of your kids have ever done.
Speaker 1: So how does that affect how you parents your kids?
Speaker 2: It absolutely does.
Speaker 6: And you know it's something that I just have to remain mindful of, you know, because in the moment, it's not easy, you know what I'm saying. I remember a couple of years ago, Uh, my son, he he did something like where I think he left the water running like for a long time up in one of the bathrooms, long story short hole, like the ceiling of a whole room in my house wound up falling through, you know when it was tens of thousands of dollars in damage and you know, long insurance claim and you know we were jacked up for a long time because of it. But yeah, you know, in that moment, it's like, Yo, that's when I have to you know, be mindful of of that grace. But you know, I definitely I got to catch myself because you know, I'm also a disciplinarian, you know, So.
Speaker 4: Are you a disciplinarian like your like like the older people that raised us, Because I always wondered there was a fine line for what we received is yes, Yeah, between discipline seventy something.
Speaker 6: It's it's a delicate balance, you know what I'm saying. I've definitely and you know, I think maybe not if I've never been team spare the Rod, you know what I'm saying. But I'm more lenient now and more, you know, I extend more grace now.
Speaker 2: I'm more forgiving now, you know than ever.
Speaker 4: You know what made you feel like now is the time to write a memoir? When somebody approaches you and it says, hey, we'd love for you to write a memoir. You know, you got to open up and really revealed things you probably never revealed.
Speaker 5: What made you want to do it now?
Speaker 6: Just because you know, I was, I was excited for that in the process, right, I was excited to you know, like what that experience might hold for me. You know what I'm saying, just being open, accessible and vulnerable in a way that I hadn't before in my art. You know, hip hop is founded upon so much you know, my cheese mo and braggedocio and you know, just larger than life win.
Speaker 2: It takes all. Yeah, you know that.
Speaker 6: Sometimes it gets exhausting, you know what I mean when when you've done that, when you've had to put up you know, such a you know, like a one dimensional perspective of of of of yourself and of your art and of your identity.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, for such a long time.
Speaker 6: Sometimes it's uh you know, I mean they say that about people who lie, right, You tell a lie for a long time and then it's like you know, when when when.
Speaker 2: The truth shall set you free? Right?
Speaker 6: So this is this is that sort of sort of thing playing out for me, and uh, I would meet fans who've been rocking with me for such a long time, and they would say, you know, for all the roots music that you know I've acquired and all your lyrics, I know, front to back, I still feel as though I don't know, you know, black thoughter, I don't know to try to as a person, and that that's always been by design, just because of you know, my introversion. So I felt like at this stage of my career, you know, you know, and act three of of whatever it is that that I'm doing as a creative. You know, I'm saying I've passed that threshold of fifty years, you know, so this is the only place sort of left to go is within myself as an artist.
Speaker 2: So this is sort of the final frontier.
Speaker 6: And it's something I've always held near and there because I'm so private, you know. So I've I've been you know, really possessive in private with my story. But I feel like now at this point in time, and you know, just with as many people who have followed me and who look up to me and you know, the idea of being a role model of it all, I think this is the time in which it would it would be you know, of of the most value and serve the most people.
Speaker 5: So as an artist, the memoir unlocks something that music have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has for me.
Speaker 6: It has for me, you know, I've been able to just tap into you know, telling my story in a different way.
Speaker 3: Now you talk about, you know, when you were a team getting in trouble for graffiti, and yeah, get in trouble for selling drugs, and then they shipped you, like what most black families do if they can't control you, they ship into another family. So they dropped you in Detroit. Yeah, and during that time, Detroit was just as bad as as Philly. So so how did Detroit fix things if it did, or did it make it worse?
Speaker 6: You know, for me, it's always been about perspective. So one of the ways in which you know Detroit was beneficial for me was it wasn't Philly, you know, even though it was a lot of the same stuff taking place, and you know, it was you know, murder capital, you know at one point, and yeah, everything that was happening in Philly in the eighties was happening in Detroit, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And to some.
Speaker 6: Degrees, you know, it was worse. But you know, my uncle was you know, he was doing well for himself. He was sort of you know, the Uncle Phil of it all. So for me coming from where I came from and the place in Detroit where I got to stay, it was on the outskirts, it was in the suburbs, it was you know, right next door to where Diana Ross's dad live. So I felt like I was a fresh prince moving on up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So for me, you know, even though it was short lived, just that glimpse of you know, upper mobility, you know what I'm saying, it was a different type of fuel to the flame.
Speaker 1: It showed you that it was possible.
Speaker 2: It was possible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know when Question and I was still together like throughout that whole thing. So it was a different motivation for me to get back to, you know what I'm saying, what I had left and what we had already started working on Motown.
Speaker 5: Any influence like being close to.
Speaker 6: That, you know, I think it's a It's it's more the remnants of the Motown energy, like that work ethic of it all, the assembly line of it all. You know that that was just it's I mean, it's still part of Detroit is woven into the fabric of the people there, and it's I think that's one of the things that makes you know, cities like Detroit, Chicago, Oakland. You know what I'm saying, these are sister cities, brother brother cities to uh to Affilly in that way.
Speaker 5: I love this line.
Speaker 4: Our lives are our response to the call of our childhoods.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what does that line mean to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, you know, it's it's about having having to go through it to get to it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Essentially, while we always got to go through it, while black people got to go we're.
Speaker 2: Not the only ones that gotta go through you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're not the only ones that gotta go through it. But yeah, I think that's that's that's that's what it speaks to.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: It's about a wisdom that you know you can only arrive at, you know what I mean. It's about a journey to that wisdom, and sometimes it's about being wise enough to realize that, uh, you know, the journey is just gonna take you back to where you begin.
Speaker 4: I love reading memoirs now because I love to hear how people, you know, cope with you know, their inner.
Speaker 5: Child, because I do not know why.
Speaker 4: The older you get, it feels like you're in a child is crying out for more and more help. And especially when you do start doing the work, when you do start going to therapy, sitting with spiritual leaders, you know, dealing with plants, whatever it is, it's like you're in a child to start screaming out for help.
Speaker 6: Well, they talk about our emotional response to just things in the world and how, you know, the way we respond to things, you know, is something that we usually developed before the age of seven or eight, you know what I mean. So's it requires a conscious effort, you know what I mean, in order to to train your body, to condition yourself to to respond to the world, to respond to any sort of stimuli in a different way than you would as a child, you know what I mean. So that's what they call, you know, the work. So this is this is part of that. This is uh, this is me doing doing my work to work through my ship. And it's and it's the beginning of it. This book is only you know, this is UH, this is me as a young person.
Speaker 2: It's ah. By the by the end of the book, I think I'm still I'm in high school.
Speaker 3: You know, I was gonna ask with the Roots when you guys created the Roots, when did y'all start making money? And the reason I asked is because it was new, Like when when when the Roots came out, it was something that hip hop hasn't seen on that platform or respected on that platform. So when did the Roots finally break through? And was like, nah, this is hip hop's bad?
Speaker 6: I want to say around you know, two thousand.
Speaker 1: And six, and who was the characters during that time?
Speaker 6: It was you know, me quest Comar hover it on bass, I want to say, Frank Knuckles was playing percussion and Kirk Captain Kirk went on guitar. You know that was that was sort of the crew. And also around that time, you know, Cody chessing Ut was a reoccurring you know, basically a member of the Roots. When he decided, you know, to make a move and you know, stop touring with us, he uh essentially replaced himself with my with my brother Martin Luther. So we've always had you know, someone you know, just like a singer since the early two thousands associated with with with with the group.
Speaker 3: Was it hard to always you know, break into a market sell it to a promoter because I just remember the routs so early on and just like this is just so different, and sometimes a hip hop different, it is hard to break through.
Speaker 2: It was very hard for us.
Speaker 6: It was, you know, super difficult to because we didn't really look or sound or feel like anything anything else that was that was happening. So it was a lot of uh, you know, we always had to prove ourselves right and and you know, I mean it took so long for us to even break even financially, and that's something that just came over time. Uh, you know, just paying those dues on the road, you know what I'm saying, Like you start at one point touring and then you're able to sort of get your stock up just through when you keep coming back.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 6: So we were able to sort of build on on on that relevance and it was wild. It was like when we finally hit a point, you know, six o seven, you know where we felt like, yeah, you know, all these years of two hundred plus days on the road started to pay off. That's when you know, there was a whole seismic shift in the way people started to receive you know, people were receiving music and you know, concert tickets and all that thing. It was, you know, we went through a revolution with the you know, streaming and that whole thing. So and then that's when the Tonight Show opportunity presented itself and that's what made it make sense. It was like, you know, we had just reached finally reached the we hit a stride and and everything was changed engine you know. So yeah, that that in that uncertainty, uh you know, the the consistency of the day job in that platform that it would it would represent.
Speaker 5: You know, it looked really good. Was there a particular moment?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 5: Was it a jay Z using y'all a lot or like, was it a particular moment that caused that shift?
Speaker 2: You know when we started to make some bread, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean get recognized by enough to where the Tonight Show was like yo, I want that.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, yeah, I think it was just over time, man.
Speaker 6: You know, we you know, we've been around for I mean blessed enough to have been around for such a long time that you know. A good example is, you know there's a festival that takes place in in in uh in Denmark, in Copenhagen, every year. It's called Ross Guild. And uh, you know, we started playing at Ross Guild before we were even you know, allowed on the actual festival grounds. Like we were you know, two tenths you know, out on the main trip right and you know, we we worked our way up from you know the outskirts to the tenth you know, right on the borderline to you know, you know, third and fourth stages until we came.
Speaker 2: Back and we were able to headline, you know, with it was the Roots and Bruce Springsteen co.
Speaker 6: Headline, so you know, but yeah, that was over you know what I'm saying many years and it's like Roskild isn't like we've done that around the world, you know what I mean, just because we've been able to keep up appearances. So yeah, yeah, I guess we just paid our dues, you know, paid our dues and yeah, and then once we got you know, we got into Late Night and we started doing that thing. It definitely represented a change in our career where we haven't been able to tour in that same way. So yeah, everything that we had done up until that point, it's just been a blessing. And it's is sort of thing where we probably had taken it for granted, we'd be able to do it forever.
Speaker 2: But you know, here we.
Speaker 6: Are and now, yeah, it's uh, it's just more of a blessing and just a greater opportunity when we do get to go out and and still touch the fans in that way.
Speaker 4: Now, Now, when you decided to write about the altercation, you had request love. Yeah, back back in the nineties. You have to ask him if you could speak on that.
Speaker 6: No, I didn't have to ask him because he's written about it in one of his books, and it's the sort of thing that you know, like, that's my brother, So I mean, I know if it's good or not, you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: And also that's it's like to me, those are best relationships.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, if you can have, if you can fight and then get over it, yeah, hey man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, And you know, it really takes it takes it takes love for somebody to get you that upset, right, you know what I mean, Only my my loved ones have ever really been able to get me that ribbed up, right, So it's it's this there's something in that. But yeah, you know, I was we were all kids at that point, you know. Now, now I'm an adult, so I would I would I would have dealt with that situation a completely different way.
Speaker 1: How long did y'all not speak?
Speaker 6: I mean we lived together, maybe we didn't speak for the train ride home, but it's like once.
Speaker 1: We got back, right, And how was that I had to be uncomfortable? Awkward?
Speaker 6: Like, bro, yeah it was. It was definitely, you know, it was awkward. It was uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: It's the sort of thing that I would laugh about almost most immediately, Like that's just where I come from. You know what I'm saying. You get into a little thing, you know, we settle it and then it's funny. But yeah, in our man's case, it just wasn't you know what I'm saying. You're like, nah, it wasn't funny, Like yeah, but yeah, we were able to, you know, obviously move past it, and I think, yeah, we're strong before it.
Speaker 2: People asked me about, you.
Speaker 6: Know, how we remained together and work together and you know, been business partners on so many different levels for such a long time, and I think, you know, it's because we got shipped like that out of the way, you know, like early on, and we able to you know, just focus on the art and the business, you know, for for many years.
Speaker 4: Chapter twelve doing the work. What kind of work do we need to do to find out who we really are? Like what worked for for black Thought?
Speaker 6: I think, you know it's it's confronting. It's confronting you know, our demons, you know it head on. And this, like I said, this is this represents the beginning of me, you know, doing doing a lot of that work. But yeah, it's still you know, very very far more to go.
Speaker 5: Was it therapy? Was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: That's part of it, you know what I'm saying. Definitely, Uh, you know, couple's therapy, Uh, you know, therapy you know for myself, therapy for my children. You know, these are the sort of things, These are the sort of tools that are at our disposal to embrace. And you know, when it's good, it's great, you know what I'm saying. So I try to utilize all that.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I'm a big performing in therapy.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Is there anything you left?
Speaker 6: Meditation? Meditation, medication? Yeah, yeah, meditation is huge.
Speaker 1: How did you learn how to meditate?
Speaker 3: And the reason I say that is a lot of people don't know how when they try they close the rise and they can't get to that place just.
Speaker 6: Just over time, over time, you know, it was something that now I started meditating. I started taking you know, fifteen twenty twenty five minutes at the beginning of the day, at the end of the day to just sit and you know, just be at peace, to be silent and just try and you know, quiet my mind. And yeah, then I started reading some books and I got into this guy, doctor Joe Despenser. He wrote a book called Becoming Supernatural. I got up on his stuff, and he's a unique individual, just because of his tone of voice, you know what I mean, the way he leads a meditation.
Speaker 2: His voice is really it's just wild, you know what I mean. He sounds like it's just some you know, it's like some freak shit, you know.
Speaker 6: But once you're able to like move past that and you can get over the way his voice sounds, and you you know, you're comfortable within yourself, you start to you know, see and feel results, and then you start to meet people and it's like, yo, it's so like I could feel that there's been a seismic shift in your life. And you ask what they're doing, and it's like, oh, I'm doing the same shit, you know what I mean. Like, I started to meet people who call itself putting me on to the meditations that I was already doing. But they, you know, they may have been further along in the practice. And it gave me, you know, hope. It gave me, you know, just that that reassurance that once you get over a hump, you can hit a stride and uh yeah it really works.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: You got your mantra, you count your beads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, you know, I mean, you do whatever you need to do.
Speaker 6: If it's bees, if it's a mantra, if it's you know, just sitting in silence, if it's you know, if it's related to you know, the light or the lack there, well, whatever you need to do, you just got to do it. I think, you know, it's something different for everyone else. Every individual person, uh, you know, has something specific that they can latch onto to deepen and strengthen their own personal practice.
Speaker 2: Yah.
Speaker 5: It started me.
Speaker 4: My good sister Debbie Brown, she got me started on counting the bees, chanting my mantra. So now I'm at the point where I can just chant my mantra.
Speaker 6: Yeah and get there count exactly yeah, yeah, you know, and that's that's that's when you hit that, that's that's that transcendental, you know what I mean of it all.
Speaker 5: Could you be Black Thought without being from Philly?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. I don't think so. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think, you know, so much of of of who I am, you know, so much of my identity is associated with my my philadelphianness, you know. Yeah, and it's the sort of place that I had to grow up, you know, Black Thought. I couldn't I couldn't have been Black Thought if I haven't hadn't been working, you know, as long as I have, and you know, I got a job in second grade that was a you know, that was a very Philadelphian thing, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I don't think.
Speaker 6: I don't think the balance of you know, the love, but that tough love, I don't think I would have been able to receive that, you know, from any other community.
Speaker 5: And the name black Thought, where exactly did that derive from?
Speaker 6: It derived from you know, my my, my time as a visual artist and you know.
Speaker 2: Just dealing with paints and you know, just the color palette.
Speaker 6: I realized that you know, so much more whin into you know, arriving at the color black, you know what I mean. Then then one would think there's so many different nuances and colors, other colors that go into you know, arriving at the color black. So that's sort of what it would have began as and over time it's it's evolved into something, you know, that has taken far, far greater meaning you know, both I guess to me and and to you know.
Speaker 2: To people who who support me.
Speaker 6: So yeah, at the time, I didn't think, you know, I wasn't thinking of black thought as the concept of people, you know what I'm saying, But that's sort of what what has come to mean.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yeah, I wanted to ask, and I know it's it's it's a question that people ask all the time, what's your what's your thought process on artists.
Speaker 1: Now and music now?
Speaker 3: The reason I ask is, you know, growing up, there were so many outlets for different types of music.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: You would hear Tribe on the radio, you would hear Most Death on the radio. You would hear Kanye, you would hear the Roots, you would hear COmON. But you would hear your Jay, you would hear your Cube, you would hear the different elements of music. Yeah, I don't think you hear that. Now, do you think that side is not being represented or just musicians are not being heard?
Speaker 6: I think I think it's being I think that side, I think the diversity of it all is being represented. But I don't think that platform is radio, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean. So I think it's being represented, you know.
Speaker 6: Just across different platforms, and it's about tapping into those, uh, you know, I think they're more outlets, more avenues now than ever for an artist to sort of emerge without being taken advantage of, without having to sell and soul without having to compromise as much as we did, you know, like for the deal, for the bag, for the exposure. So yeah, it's it's just about you know, tapping into those, into those avenues. But yeah, I think there's more there's more space now, you know, in the in the culture, like the hip hop landscape, for for the just a broad range of influences to coexist. I think, like more so now than ever, you know. So yeah, I don't think I mean now I don't love all the music that all the hip hop music that comes out, but I think, you know, I like that that's it's all good, right, that's cool, Like I'll allow it, you know, And I think back like when if I ever really rock with every single thing, you know what.
Speaker 2: Ever, so yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: It just gave artist a chance to be a little a little more commercial, right. I just remember as a kid or even an adult, you grew up listening to the radio.
Speaker 1: Think about it. You would hear Public Enemy on the radio. Yeah, you would hear tribal.
Speaker 2: Poking.
Speaker 3: Me was in rotation, comment was in rotation, trib court quest was definitely in rotation. So you would hear those type music. But you would hear your hoes, you would hear your nahds, you would hear your Biggie, you would hear DMX. It just was an element that I don't necessarily know if it's you know, if it's transcendent now you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I don't think it's you know, yeah, the Yeah, the culture is not represented in that way anymore, you know what I mean, definitely not not on radio.
Speaker 4: Even this conversation is always interested in me because we act like over the last twelve thirteen, all all the top guys ain't on ain't on that hardcore right right, and not the Drakes, the Kendricks, the Colds like you had chances in there, you've had the Wilets, the big Shot.
Speaker 5: They're not even on that. So it's just like when people talk about how.
Speaker 1: Bad the culture is bad, like who are you all.
Speaker 5: Paying attention to?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's just different. It's different, you know what I mean, whether you think it's bad or not.
Speaker 4: You know, well man, black thoughts book man, that's right cycled self cycled selves.
Speaker 3: Yes, we appreciate you for jordan Us. What do you want people to get out of this book? If they if they can get one thing out of it, what do you want them to get out of this?
Speaker 6: You know, if if if one person is able to see themselves and you know, better understand themselves or better understand you know, their path, their their lived experience, if this is going to be you know, an entree into someone else being able to start to work through their stuff and you know, shed some of those layers of of armor that are no longer useful, you know what I mean, those layers of callous and in scar tissue. Then yeah, it's it's a win. And I've already you know, experienced that, you know, I've already had some of those conversations. So I feel this book has already been helpful.
Speaker 5: All right, And y'all ain't get nominated for a Grammy this year.
Speaker 2: I did. I got dominated a couple of days ago. Congratulations.
Speaker 6: Thought the album Yeah, I know, a capella not even with a beat, wow, just the voice it bars wow? Yeah yeah yeah, love letter to hip hop?
Speaker 5: How did that feel?
Speaker 2: It feels awesome.
Speaker 6: It feels feel awesome like in that moment, I didn't really realize it until you know, my homie started telling me like, yeah, you know, it was wild, like this is, you know, your first Brandy nomination, you know what I mean, like outside of the roots. And then another homie hit me was like, yo, it would be wild if you win this joint like that's the flex.
Speaker 2: You don't even need music, you know. I sat with it, like.
Speaker 4: Do you still I don't want to say need it, but do you do you like that type of validation?
Speaker 2: I do? I do?
Speaker 6: I still appreciate that that that sort of validation, you know what I mean? That's not you know what I do it for, but it definitely uh yeah, I mean, it feels it's great to be recognized, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So absolutely well, it's black thought. We appreciate you. Pick up his book, The Upcycled Self, and it's The Breakfast Club. Good morning, wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club