Speaker 1: Should we do the entire episode today in bad British accents and just never mention it.
Speaker 2: I think that'd be funny. We just won't even bring it up.
Speaker 1: That was a right good episode today, wasn't it like just offer Super Company?
Speaker 2: Even good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, mister Feeney was a whole It was great steps.
Speaker 2: We won't bring it up.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, hello, brought me twelve.
Speaker 2: This is right? Is strong? That's right?
Speaker 4: Danielle official, Dane official, and I'm wild and the other guy right, Roger happy to be today, not an h said.
Speaker 2: In the next hour.
Speaker 3: So I have a question for you guys. I, as you may or may not know, we had to We had a beautiful little two day trip.
Speaker 2: To Disneyland planned that needed.
Speaker 3: To get canceled at the last second so that Jensen could go in for emergency gall bladder removal surgery.
Speaker 2: And it got me thinking.
Speaker 3: We talk a lot about trips we've been on or fun trips we've taken.
Speaker 2: Do you guys have like a worst vacation ever? Multiple hormal vacations as a kid.
Speaker 5: The way you said that was like, do you have a good vacation that you can remember? Okay, I started the contemporary, Like, I mean, this summer was brutal. I've talked about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: It was just way too much, six weeks on the road in an RV. But when I look back at it now, I'm like, oh we did we went whitewater rafting, like we had so many great experiences. It was just exhausting and like I came back, you know, traumatized. Right when I was a kid, we went backpacking in Yosemite and everything went wrong. My parents hadn't had planned. We we got burrows animals to carry to carry our equipment because we were backpacking and I was only like eight, and my parents were like, oh, it'll be easier, we'll have We'll get these animals to you know, like they're they're basically donkeys to carry your your gear so we don't have to pack as much. And these where we got them didn't have Like it was everything was a disaster. Everything went wrong and nothing was according to plan, and these animals refused to walk for us. So my mom was like in the Semite valley, polling on this burrow and all these like tourists are taking pictures of well across a bridge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we only made it two nights into Yosemite and then my parents are like, forget it, We're turning around. And when we went home and we have such different vacation stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but no, I've been thinking about it. We know, we took the same trip every year when I was a kid growing up. We always went to Santabal Island, Florida. We did that for, you know, our week vacation that we always had. It was always fun. And I'm one of those guys it's and I don't want to jinx myself, but even if everything's going horribly wrong, I can still find the comedy and the fun in it.
Speaker 2: So usually, like you know, Sue and I will take trips.
Speaker 1: To Europe every once in a while and maybe everything isn't perfect, or you know, we at one time we're going to go on a wine tasting that then we read the thing and it was starting at like eight thirty in the morning, and we're like, why are we going to be drinking wine? And then the van pulled up to get us, and it was a van. There's like fifteen people in a six person van, and I just remember going getting in there and she was like, I'm not getting in that, so we were like, no, pass us along, but we always find the comedy in it. So no, I've never had like one of those. And I've just jinxed it because we're about to travel again. So I'm sure that something horrible, but it's you know, losing bag, stuff like that will happen. But I haven't had one of those stereotypically really bad vacations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: I also think like for writer, he's talking about his summer this being brutal, like he's already able to look back on it and be like, actually, in hindsight, a large part.
Speaker 2: Of it was fun. It was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jensen and I took a terrible vacation to Thailand.
Speaker 2: It was truly. You talked about this in your wedding vol It was our.
Speaker 3: Wedding, Yeah, it was. It was a large subject of our wedding vows. And yet it's maybe my favorite vacation I've ever been on. I don't I don't want to do it again because it wasn't good, but like the memory about it, well, so we had heard from everybody that they that Thailand was they wanted tourists, and that they'd be really happy to see you, and we just didn't feel that way. We felt like no one wanted us there, and we were like should we leave? Like I don't understand. We would ask people a question about like.
Speaker 2: Where did you go? Did you just go to Bangkok? Or no, Well we started in Bangkok.
Speaker 3: We had two days in Bangkok, which is forty six hours too many in Bangkok.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's not Bangkok's amazing. No, it's not.
Speaker 3: No time in Bangkok. You do not need to spend any time there.
Speaker 6: Time my Thai experience. I showed up in Thailand in nineteen ninety. I flew to meet friends who were living there for the summer. I travel, I left with forty eight hour notice. I decided to go to Thailand, ended up on a motorcycle getting offered drugs.
Speaker 2: I have a great story about Tyler. Anyway, I had a great time, but it.
Speaker 6: Was completely like on my own, like no plan, no idea where I was going, and had the best best summer.
Speaker 2: It was so much fun. Yeah, that was not our experience. We did not enjoy it.
Speaker 3: We had two full days in Bangkok over New Year's so and you know we're we're not big New Year's people. We're also not big party people, uh, and so we were both we were asleep by like nine. We woke up shortly after midnight, looked at each other and we're like, hey, happy New Year.
Speaker 2: Let's get out of Bangkok. And then we went up north. We went to change My.
Speaker 3: We did actually really amazing, gorgeous we love We did enjoy Change Mine.
Speaker 2: We liked it there, but you know, we went.
Speaker 3: I normally really will plan a vacation, like what are we going to do every day? Kind of at least have like a really everyday sort of loose idea itinerary. And for this one, I was like, let's just wander around and see what we see and find what we find and just kind of immerse ourselves in the culture. And that was a terrible idea. It was just a truly terrible idea. And yeah, we just did not It was not for us. We did not enjoy it.
Speaker 6: Thailand is so friendly in my experience, like it was the most touristy friendly place I've ever been.
Speaker 3: And that's what everyone had trouble we ended up figuring out was that it depends on when you go. When we were there, they had just had like a regime change, and the people were actually very unhappy and the they were like truly living in very extreme poverty that they had not been living in before. And and it was like they were like, oh yeah, no, right now it's different than it ever used to be.
Speaker 2: And that is how we felt.
Speaker 3: It was like this this I mean, it was a it's a it's very hard for me to enjoy a vacation when I feel like the people are truly suffering. And like I'm like, maybe this tourism, tourism, you want it there because you want to bring money into the place. But then also it felt like very much like the it was just I don't know, it just I felt awful there and I anyway, long story short, we did not enjoy Thailand, and yet my favorite vacation of all time wed We bonded in incredibly. We had different times where we both broke down, I just want to go home, but they were at totally different times of the trip, and so it was like we were able to, you know, give each other a pep talk to continue the vacation.
Speaker 2: Go buckers, buck up, buckers, You're gonna make it.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 6: I think that that's the key, Like I mean for me now with my wife, like she wants to plan everything. She wants to like book everything ahead of time and like know where we're staying.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, because I was.
Speaker 6: Always flying by the seat of my pants, which you know, like I've talked about in my child who was not great, it was very stressful. But I think as an adult it can be really fun to do that. So we're always trying to find the balance.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: It's like I want to plan ahead, but I also want a little bit of freedom, because it's true, like those disasters are the times that you come together or that you know, end up memory remembering for the rest of your life.
Speaker 1: Like those Yeah, we plan, we plan, we plan, and it's not down to the minute. But there's things we want to do in every city, Like for instance, we want to hit the best restaurants we can, So we plan ahead and we book the tables in those restaurants that we want to go to, because we know in London or in Paris or any of these places in Italy they're going to book up. So here's the restaurants we're going to go to at such and such a time.
Speaker 2: We love this thing. We found called with locals.
Speaker 1: So with locals, as you go to these cities and you get some kid who's twenty five, twenty six, who's you know, a student usually who will meet you somewhere and we'll walk it around to all the best places. It's like taking a walking tour of the city, but you're not with a group of people. It's just the two of you and one guide and they you can figure out which one of the tours you want, so you can do an architecture tour, you can do a shopping tour, you can do bars and restaurants, you can do so it's we love hitting that stuff up in every kind of city we go to. And then we usually take like a free day. We're we're gonna sleep in, we're gonna do whatever we kind of want to do. But we like to we like to know what we're doing, like to use our time. We also, the older we're getting our big fans of doing one place at a time. So it's like you get to a hotel and you get to park your stuff there. It's not we're here for two days and then we're on the train, and then we're here for three days and then we're on the train and then we're here.
Speaker 2: We would like to here's a hotel.
Speaker 1: We're gonna explore this city for four or five days, and then we're gonna go home.
Speaker 2: We're big fans of that now. Anyway, welcome Tou Pond meets World. I'm Daniel Fishl, I'm Rider Strong, and I'm Wilfordell.
Speaker 3: So today we are here to recap season three, episode eighteen, Life Lessons. It originally aired February twenty third, nineteen ninety six. The synopsis tensions run high as exam week looms near. When mister Feenie refuses to alter the exam schedule, a group of thugs trash his house. It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Jeff C.
Speaker 2: Sherman. What did you guys think? Bizarre episode?
Speaker 1: Actually it was bizarre, I actually, and we'll get into it, other than a completely unnecessary and useless best story that just should not have been there for any reason whatsoever. Anytime Bill is driving the story, I'm in yes, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it was cool to have a Feenie episode, for sure.
Speaker 1: Finally, the thugs in the leather a new set of thous It's so ridiculous and the bat story shouldn't have been there at all.
Speaker 2: But anytime I can watch Bill Act, I'm one hundred percent it is super interesting.
Speaker 6: I wonder if this pitch originated with the regular bullies, like because there's three guys, there's yep, there's three dudes. Introduced Patrick Renner, by the way, I didn't remember it was on our show, Like, yeah, he was sometimes you Switch on our show, did you know? I don't forgot that I knew I remembered him. I mean obviously I knew him, but I didn't realize he was ever on our show.
Speaker 2: It was so weird. I was like, what he didn't even speak for the first.
Speaker 3: Like three Like what I actually was wondering through halfway through the episode?
Speaker 2: Was he a background actor on the show?
Speaker 1: Like he didn't speak for someone I thought I knew he was on the show. I thought when I saw him, I was like, oh, this is the one that Ryder must have where he met originally.
Speaker 6: Because I had already done Summertime Switch after the first season, so I had already known him and hung out with him and like we've been friends, like we'd hung out, But I completely forgot that he was ever on Boy Mets World, the other guy, Aaron Metchik Is there's an interesting story. He's not the main bullies, the other like sidekick. He was my pen pal when I was nine years old and lay Miz because he was in a touring company of Lei Miz, so he was Camvroche and he was the same age. So at the same time that he that I was performing Laymz in San Francisco, he was doing it in Washington, d C. On a tour, and so we would we would send letters to each other, like we found out that these other yeah, so like Larissa and me and like the other kids that were doing leay Miz would have we were pen pals with the.
Speaker 2: Other Layman's kids.
Speaker 6: And then we eventually got we I eventually met each other after we had finished doing the show, and I saw him perform lay Miz because he was still doing it after I had quit.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, and then.
Speaker 6: He ended up guests starring on Boy Meets World. And I remember this week hanging out with him. I remember driving him home one night with Rachel was in my car. So it's the three of us, and but I don't think i've seen him since so this might have been the last time I saw him.
Speaker 2: So you saw you saw him perform in the role you did? Yeah, who was who was better? I mean, obviously no, I don't obviously you know.
Speaker 6: I was never a good singer, so I was never a good Gavroche when it came to singing. But it Yeah, I mean I remember liking his performance.
Speaker 2: He was great. It was super fun. I really enjoyed this episode. I really liked it.
Speaker 3: I think the B storyline is crazy, yeah, and just unnecessarily bad.
Speaker 6: The B storyline just comes out of nowhere, and I was like, I literally thought I had missed.
Speaker 2: The first scene of me is so weird.
Speaker 6: I think they just like, I think they rewrote this episode last man or something weird happened it.
Speaker 2: Oh was it? Let's do a B story where Eric dates Amy's friend. Yeah, And it's.
Speaker 1: Also I we talk about them writing from life for writer and I always dated older women.
Speaker 2: I mean I think they started writing to I think that's what it was. I mean because although, who were you dating at this time?
Speaker 1: I I might have been with Jill at this time. No, I couldn't have been. She was so Yeah, I don't know. I honestly don't know, but it was pre love, so I'm not entirely sure who it was, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was just so I like you writer.
Speaker 1: I was like, did I we like hopped in the middle of this storyline?
Speaker 2: I missed that's first scene with her. I was like, what.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you guys keep referencing things that happened off camera, and I was like, did I miss I literally rewound I was I missed the scene where Yeah, so I think it was just it's just a poor beginning to that storyline. She's amazing, she's great, and I remember an actor God remember her? And so when she does that take when she looks at the the picture and realizes who you are, Yes, it was such a great acting bait. I was like, this woman's incredible.
Speaker 2: She was she was great. No, I remember her specifically, but we'll get we'll get into all.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, okay, so guest starring Lisa Aki or Aky, that is the woman we're talking about as Brenda Marsh she would have later. She would later appear on shows Fraser Time, Cop Sliders, and three episodes of The Sentinel. Ian Bowen as Denny. He has worked steadily since the nineties and now currently plays Ryan on Yellowstone, one of TV's biggest shows. Aaron Michael Metchik as Jake, so Michael Jacobs knew him from The Torkal Sens where he played Steven Torklsen.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right.
Speaker 3: And Patrick Renna as Kyle. Another Sandlot alum, joins the cast. He played Ham in the movie and is now very very good on TikTok. If you guys are ever on TikTok oh, Yeah, he's incredible on TikTok. And then we have Anastacia Horne. She returns as Christy, which is very rare for Boy Meets World, a small female character who has come back with the same name. Yeah, she was in What I Meant to Say, where Corey told Topanga he loved her. She's the one who became clingy and forced Eric to say it too. You may know her from Kids Incorporated before she was on Boy Meets World.
Speaker 2: Okay, I d s oh, looks like we made Sorry, oh kids Incorporated, it's incorporated names. Yeah course, sorry. I didn't know that very much Kids Incorporated growing up, I didn't. Okay. I think maybe I was a little too young for it, were you maybe? Maybe, maybe that was.
Speaker 1: I think that was one of those shows, like The Mickey Mouse Club, that they kept doing different versions of over the years.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we start our recap in the school hallway, Corey, Sean, and Topanga stumble upon a teacher hanging up the final exam schedule. Corey is worried he didn't see it coming. Topanga is panicking. Three in one day, Sean reads on English chemistry and history with only ten minutes in between.
Speaker 2: That's not enough time to study.
Speaker 3: I thought, is a really funny Sean joke that that's where you find all your time to study for the exams.
Speaker 2: And to pack us back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean just welcome back, Welcome back to Panga, and I loved that was. I think one of the things I liked about this episode. Although there are some weird little critiques I'll mention as we go through, but one of the things I loved is that this was one of the things I have liked in the past when to Panga has been there, just seeing her as one of the gang, not tied to how she pertains to Penga, Corey's girlfriend.
Speaker 6: She's just one of the three of us, like you know, taking the stand at the end I thought was great. It was like, oh, this is the trio. It felt like, yeah, that was nice.
Speaker 2: I liked it.
Speaker 3: There were some odd choices to still exclude me, which i'll i'll talk about, but overall felt really nice, like felt really nice to be there. So Tapega says, do not even try to call me for the next two weeks. I will be in Communicado, and I break Did you see me?
Speaker 2: I missed it. She's walking away, she's laughing. I can't give you. I can't look Ben in the eye. It's a joke between you and Ben, I think, because you say yes and she is losing it. I am just I'm so glad you noticed that. I watched it twice, like, oh my gosh, it's so funny.
Speaker 3: I totally break uh to Peanga leaves, Sean says, wow, that's guts. We're studying and she's off to Mexico. The crowd of kids around Corey and Shawn all grown about the schedule, and Corey assures them, if we devote the next two weeks to studying in the library.
Speaker 2: We got no problem. And just in time, we get an optical flip.
Speaker 3: The camera cuts to Corey and Sean various locations with their unopened books and their laps not studying, and they're at home watching TV, at Turner's watching TV, at Chubby's watching TV.
Speaker 2: Job has a TV. Suddenly that's where you go for everything in this town. It does make.
Speaker 3: Sense that Chubby's would be the sports bar burger place that like that they would have a TV for that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: We've just never utilized it. So I love that they did it, and we probably never will again, probably never not see it. No, never.
Speaker 3: And now we are at the school cafeteria, Corey and Sewn are finally studying, and Corey announces final start in two days. How did this sneak up on us? What kind of sick evil mind would think of a final schedule like this? And right on time, Feene walks by, slyly saying hi gang, and for the first time we see the Topanga is sitting with them, which I thought was a very weird director's choice to not open on an establishing shot of the three of them, like it's the two of you, and he's like, Sean, it's snuck up on this.
Speaker 2: How do we not see this?
Speaker 3: And then when we see Phoene walk by we realize, oh, Tapega's there too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, we should have actually been included in the montag montage, but they couldn't rationalize that because.
Speaker 2: Pa would study study. Yeah, right, So it's a little bit.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit weird because Tapanga is both involved in this storyline of the final schedule being not great, but also not a part of it in the sense that she's not slacking off like they are.
Speaker 2: So it feels a little like.
Speaker 3: What's going on, but still happy to be there, not going to be there exactly. Corey stands up to Feenie and about this final schedule. It's either got to be a mistake or a joke and Shawn, Butson, let's say you're not really funny. Phoene responds, and you're not really studying? I suggest you do, and he walks away. Tapanga tells the guys, you know, if we buckle down and study, I'm sure we would have no problem at all.
Speaker 2: And I did think there.
Speaker 3: So was Topanga not studying these last two weeks or is she just what has she been doing?
Speaker 2: She wasn't watching TV. She had to have been studying. I mean, she's Topanga. Well, that next scene you're like breaking down and reciting phrase words. So I think the idea is that you're rattled in you were there and yeah, yeah, I just feel like it's a small little thing.
Speaker 3: But maybe had she just said, you know what, guys, I bet if you just buckle down for the next two days, she could have made it a little more about them.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, I know she's rattled and she it's such a small try to figure out. They're still trying to figure out how does Topanga?
Speaker 3: How is Topanga super smart and a good student but also part of the storylines that really put against the exactly right, so exactly yes, yes, so just then a guy in a leather jacket.
Speaker 2: Leather jacket alert real girl.
Speaker 3: And then a fast girl who's really a guy in a leather jacket and his gang member friends walk up, telling.
Speaker 2: So many gangs in this school.
Speaker 1: By the way, there's so many bully clicks that are going around.
Speaker 2: It's insane. It's pretty crazy. This school.
Speaker 3: That's it's a leaning tower. They each have their each floor has its.
Speaker 1: Own bullies, set of bullies everything, and they don't know each the tower exactly.
Speaker 6: But also at the trailer barg I mean like everywhere has that's.
Speaker 2: Just jackets, bullies that are three or four member gangs.
Speaker 3: Everything in the Matthews live on the one nice street in this neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Entire neighborhood.
Speaker 1: It is so strange, all these small little gang clicks that.
Speaker 3: This new leather jacket gang comes up saying that the problem will disappear when you get rid of FENI.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, that's that's what the plan is. These three students com we have to get rid of the teacher that's been here for thirty five years. This is the plan. Are they threatening to murder this guy?
Speaker 3: I meant a very dark storyline?
Speaker 1: What they have they put a hit on mister Foenie. Is that the leather Clad gang really going to do something?
Speaker 6: I was relieved to find out they just I was like, oh, they just break a window, because the way that this scene goes was like, are they talking about knocking them out or getting killed this guy?
Speaker 2: You know what they're going to there?
Speaker 3: Actually, this is this is the first storyline where we talk about murdering Phoenix exactly. You'll be surprised to know this repeats many times throughout the series.
Speaker 1: Once it just made you get long for the days of the old bullies that would just threaten to punch you in the face as opposed to actually putting murder hits out on mister Phoene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well why they walk away after threatening to murder him to Panga shivers and she admits, those guys give me the creeps. Finally somebody says it, and then Corey announces to the whole cafeteria, you know, gang, the only feenie will listen as if we organize and show strength, right, And this feels like a callback to The Union's episode where Corey gathered everyone together. The whole cafeteria cheers and Corey asks, so you're with me? The camera cuts to the entire group of kids now at Chubby's. I am not there again, just nub studying. Everyone is watching TV and not studying for the upcoming finals. And I thought, here, it's funny that a TV show would do a storyline around how watching television takes.
Speaker 2: You away from your studying.
Speaker 3: It's such a distraction and it's such an addiction that even when you know you shouldn't be doing it.
Speaker 2: You have to do it.
Speaker 3: So then we're in the school hallway, Corey shan in the entire massive anti Finals crew, a lot of kid background actors this week. They approach Turner and Corey tells them, we go to school all year, and I'll be honest, we don't like it. And now it's the end of the year and we got to take all these finals about stuff we've learned and have naturally forgotten about.
Speaker 2: We're very upset.
Speaker 3: The rest of the kids not an agree in unison, and Turner tells them it's a tough schedule, but that's what school is all about, and Corey whispers, well, people are starting to crack. Just then to pank the speeds by reciting elements from the periodic table and super speed. Corey whispers to Turner, and she's not even in chemistry. Shawn adds, Phoenie's schedule is a conspiracy. Man. It's exactly like the government not telling us about the aliens living in our old trailer park. Corey nods and smiles. Mister and missus Monroe, Sean nods and ads and their little dog too. Sean was a little tommed along before his time.
Speaker 2: I don't know who that is. Who it's you know what? I knew it I wrote right here. They won't know who this is.
Speaker 3: He's a lead singer and guitarist for Blink one eighty two. He okay, okay, good, we're on something.
Speaker 2: He Oh, he's an alien guy. Yes, he's been into aliens. And when they were when all.
Speaker 3: Of the talk of aliens was all very very conspiracy theory, and oh, you're a wacko schmacko for believing in aliens. And then this past year he was rather vindicated a few times about his his alien stuff. Anyway, little history lesson there for you?
Speaker 2: For you boys? Pop culture? Is that really history or just pop culture history? Pop culture?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: I think the story, Yeah, I think you're more.
Speaker 1: Tom Green frankly writer.
Speaker 2: He was a lead singer. No, I'm kidding. Hum. Green was a comedian. Comedian. Okay.
Speaker 3: Corey says it's not enough. We're taking all these finals, but why does he have to jam them together? Turner tells them it's a reasonable question. I'll talk to Feenie and I'll get a reasonable answer.
Speaker 2: And then Tony had a haircut.
Speaker 1: You can tell Tony has had Oh, yeah, he definitely had a haircut.
Speaker 2: I didn't, so he must have gone. Yeah, he had.
Speaker 6: I've also decided to tuck in my shirts. This is entire episode your shirt talking.
Speaker 1: I know why because it was written on the card that we would have hanging in our clothes shirt.
Speaker 6: I have a completely new look, like I'm finally wearing open shirts and tucked in with.
Speaker 2: The didn't notice an open shirt episode. I was like, what is this a new style?
Speaker 6: I wonder if that was like me making that choice or no, No, probably.
Speaker 2: No, definitely, probably.
Speaker 3: Absolutely talk insure fuse belt where this shirt opens.
Speaker 2: That's what happened year, and.
Speaker 3: Then we smashed that to Feenie's classroom. It's another little optical flip. Phoene says no, and Turner tries to reason with him, but Phoene doubles down. I am not changing my finals policy to suit the whims of a few disgruntled students. Turner argues the students may have a point. Wouldn't it be easier if they spread them out a bit, and Phoene says, yes, that would be much easier. And if we ask them simpler questions, that would be easier. Still if we had no tests, I know, it's so good if we just happened, if we just put on party hats and played the hokey pokey.
Speaker 7: They might even load party costumes.
Speaker 2: No, but that whole.
Speaker 1: But it's also this is the the kind of the the new school teaching versus old school teaching, and you know, what is it to be a teacher? And yes it is easier on the students, but are we supposed to be? I love just kind of them going after each other where it's like, no, I think the students might have a point and he's like, no, but that's.
Speaker 2: Not where we're here. We're here to I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was cool because you're seeing some of that in school now, where it's like, well, we're taking away some testing and we don't need to do this and we don't need to study this kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: And it's like is that good? Is that bad?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What are we going to find out? As? What's the future going to show us?
Speaker 3: It's one of my favorite things about Boy Meets World when the adults both have reasonable points and there really is no right and there really is no wrong, but you see them talking it out.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's so great.
Speaker 3: So Turner points out, if you lose the hokey pokey thing, I think you're onto something. He asks Phoenie can't you at least hear them out in Phoenie size, I will always have time to listen to my students, which I love. Then Turner walks out of the classroom to give the students eagerly waiting outside the news, and Corey asks if the schedule has changed. Turner explains, he agreed to listen to one of you, so a point a leader.
Speaker 2: Do you hear that? He said a point leada because he couldn't talk about his sister.
Speaker 3: Students all awkwardly wait around until Corey steps out of the group to pick up a quarta and he notices a quarter on the floor, and then all of the students step away and they start to applaud him.
Speaker 2: Got him, ha ha, what a weird bit. We're so bizarre. It was so bizarre.
Speaker 1: So I thought it was just going to be they were going to step back and leave Corey there by himself.
Speaker 6: This is where if the whole episode just doesn't I don't know, Like this is where the episode feels weird. I love Phoene storyline, but I feel like the problem is the tension, Like you have to introduce three new thugs we've never met before in order to propel the story right, and basically like Corey, Seanpanga don't have much to do, Like we're just kind of bystanders until that final scene. I don't know, It's just it's like it would be better if Sean was the one actually teeping the house or doing you know, but because because like we've said before, Seawan can never actually be a bad kid. He's always got to be like on the verge of being a bad kid. But actually, like it would have been better if he was the one doing it, Like, actually, I don't think Sean would ever do that to Feoene's house though.
Speaker 1: I think then the storyline becomes you don't know what you're doing with these new thugs and you end up at Foene's house and are you gounn you are?
Speaker 2: Are you not gonna do? But then it becomes a Sean episode, which we've already.
Speaker 3: Had a ton of in a row, and then we would be like, oh, here we go again, where Sean?
Speaker 2: What is Sean gonna do?
Speaker 3: If you don't if you don't change the schedule, I'm running away now you're gonna threaten delete.
Speaker 2: What is doing? What is Corey doing in this episode? Like he's just trying to convince he's reluctantly the leader. He doesn't actually lead this rebellion. He's not studying, but he also kind of knows he has to do the work anyway. So it's like it's it's it's it's like he's sort of in between, like he doesn't stand for anything, and as a result, the episode doesn't have like this narrative propulsion, like it should be him standing up to Feenian, like actually organizing the kids to do something and I'm protesting, like the union episode.
Speaker 6: But instead he's he's just reluctantly over their quarter. Now he's the leader. So it just feels weird.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't feel pointed. I don't know it needed a little bit more.
Speaker 3: I agree with you if Corey. If Corey had been so riled up, you know what we need to do. We need to take it to let's take it to his house. And then they vandalized it and he was like whoa, whoaah, this was too far and it was really on his shoulders. But instead they didn't want to put that on because then you really do like this is this becomes a dislikable kid. So then they needed to have well, Corey is a reluctant leader of a group that has a potential rival leader, where the rival leader wants to take things too far where Corey would never take it. It is a messy storyline that would have been better a little simplified, but also would have made it difficult to raise the stakes enough.
Speaker 1: I also I kind of like the messiness in this one though, because I like that Corey was never the one in this episode who was passionate about moving the exams. He was like, yeah, we got a bunch of exams, and yeah, you got to move it, or we got to do something. He's like, wait, what what do you guys talk? And then he's now the leader. He kind of gives a half assed kind of stab it. Let's get them, let's get it moved, and then he walks out. He's like, yeah, I got, I got nothing.
Speaker 6: Like he doesn't want a mentionine to do with this, but imagine if he did, Like, because right now, the big emotional weight is Phoene's retirement, right Like, that's the turn, but Corey doesn't have any responsibility for that. Wouldn't it be great if Corey was somewhat responsible for FIENI wanting to retire. Instead, it's like he's not, he's completely absolved. He's just a bystander this entire.
Speaker 1: I kind of liked him being a bystander in this one, if I'm honest, because it's like, I don't want to see him like we've seen the one where he gets the Union kids together and he's leading the rebellion, Like I've seen that already. I kind of like him just being a dude in school who's watching this happen and then watching his neighbor go through this existential crisis that he's involved in. But because then we have that scene later in the hallway where he's like, you know, you knew this was going to happen, Sean, and you didn't do anything about it. And you're the one who's like, wait, wait, you started this whole thing, and he's like, oh, yeah, I guess it's kind of my responsibility too. He doesn't realize he was a part of it because he kind of wasn't yeah, And I like that.
Speaker 2: I like that he's just more the leaf on the wind in this one.
Speaker 1: Instead of the driving force of we've got to oh and now it's gone too far, it's more just like, I'm a dude watching this guy who I grew up next to go through this crisis, and it's because all of us have as students have changed in his mind. Yeah, and so there's something to that more than Corey being the lynchpin of Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, kind I kind of liked it. Frankly, I liked that as I.
Speaker 3: Did enjoy just I was invested to see what was going to happen. I didn't feel bored. I didn't feel like this is too messy and convoluted and all over the place. I kind of just liked, like, ooh, how is this gonna how is this going to resolve?
Speaker 2: And I also love the idea of.
Speaker 3: Seeing the dynamic between somebody who's been doing a job for a very long time giving themselves their own little test of like, have I am I no longer a five? Am I no longer in touch?
Speaker 2: Was there something in my dinosaur? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Am I a dinosaur? Am I not the best person to deliver this message anymore? Have I aged out of this?
Speaker 2: And? I love I didn't. I did enjoy that. So but here's my.
Speaker 1: Question, Because we keep getting leather jacketed thugs, why.
Speaker 2: Can't they just be like jocks.
Speaker 1: Why can they just be like the three of the football guys or wrestling guy?
Speaker 2: Why do we have.
Speaker 1: To keep creating these leather jacket Well, that's what I wonder.
Speaker 6: If he was waiting for Danny and the guys and they were just realized like, oh, we can't keep bringing them back for some reason, or I don't know, like.
Speaker 2: Where's where's Stanky for Keno? Now? Like Ry isn't he around at least?
Speaker 1: Like what's going on at the Yeah? Just seeing those three thugs again, I.
Speaker 3: Know I'm ready to I'm ready to stop seeing new jacket gangs. I am you exactly, I'm ready to I'm ready to enter nineteen ninety six, yes, and leave the fifties leather jacket gangs behind.
Speaker 2: Sorry to become one of the I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: Sean happily announces, all right, Corey, you're our leader, the tough guy. Denny tells Corey, if you can't change that old dinosaur's mind, we will, And again he's back to just chilling Phoenie. He's gone take out the darkest storyline god. Corey tries calming him down, saying, listen, I've known Phoene since I was in diapers. He adds, I ate his dirt for crying out loud, and then we're in Phoenie's classroom. Phoene greets Corey as he enters. I understand you have some concerns about the finals. Corey stutters, yes, yes, I do, because you gotta admit three finals in one day is kind of tough. Phoene asks how long has the exam schedule been posted? Corey says a couple of days, and Phoene corrects him two weeks. Phoene then asks how long have you had to study the material? And Corey says two weeks and Phoene corrects him again all semester and you come to me now, how can I take you?
Speaker 2: Seriously?
Speaker 3: Corey starts a very bad argument with Okay, I didn't want to use this, but we're neighbors, right, Remember when I was a kid and I ate all that dirt and you were good enough to call boys in control? And Phoene confesses I wanted my dirt back.
Speaker 2: I love that line so funny. I wanted my dirt back. Oh, it was so funny.
Speaker 3: And of course Bill with the perfect delivery, and it had just enough mustard on it that you knew he was covering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that. This is a scene you can see from the pilot. This is this is the pilot scene over again, dancing.
Speaker 6: I just love seeing Corey and Phoenie back in this situation being like, yeah, but come on.
Speaker 2: You like me. I just love it it, I love it.
Speaker 3: So Corey goes on, well, I guess I want you to do that again, you know, one lifelong friend to another. Phoene Lenz leans in and says Corey. Corey casually responds, George.
Speaker 1: How often has Bill called him Corey? I think is this is the first time or one of the one of the first times?
Speaker 2: Right, Wow, that didn't even hit me. You're right always.
Speaker 1: Too.
Speaker 2: When he said Corey, he's like, oh, it's always, mister Matthews. Yeah, so yeah, I did not. That didn't even hit me.
Speaker 3: So then Foene points to the door and tells him to get out, and we're back in the school hallway and as Corey walks out, all of the students are applodding and cheery, cheering. One of the tough guys who is not the main guy, Denny and not Patrick, Renna asks, so, what's the new schedule look like, Corey announces to many of you, it will look much like the old schedule.
Speaker 2: But I, as your leader, I got nothing.
Speaker 3: Denny tells Corey, You've had your chance. Now it's time to do things my way.
Speaker 2: Very scary.
Speaker 3: Corey asks what his way is, and Denny responds, Phoene has made our lives miserable, h forever and.
Speaker 2: Now great lines I react to back.
Speaker 3: And now it's time to give him back a little of what he gave us. The rest of the crowd cheers him on like an angry mob on January sixth, and the entire group follows. The entire group follows after Denny, even Sean. Corey stops Sean and asks what he's doing, and Sean admits, Corey, I hate these exams, and he walks away.
Speaker 2: Wow, I doesn't want to get his learn on Sean. He's not there. He's going to go grab his leather jacket.
Speaker 1: He's about to joining the leather gang, the leather jacket gang.
Speaker 3: And then we are back in the Matthew's house. The doorbell rings and Eric opens the door to a pri.
Speaker 2: Like, did we miss a scene? Why is Eric gertude the door to miss random woman and referencing all this conversation that happened without us seeing sitting by himself on the couch reading Shakespeare. I know I said the same thing. I was like what, and then I was like, oh, I guess.
Speaker 3: Because there's finals we know that Eric also has vinyls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. But it was just it was jarring. Yes, the whole thing was jarring.
Speaker 1: I remember working with her very briefly, obviously, and I remember actually as actors working on the scenes, and it was one of the few times where a guest star came in and we spent time with the director and spend time afterwards kind of well, if I move here, if I do this.
Speaker 2: We were ad libbing stuff.
Speaker 1: It was. Working with her was really fun, and I remember distinctly thinking, wow, I wish we had more to do, Like I wish we had more scenes, because there's something I felt, very relaxed, very comfortable.
Speaker 2: She was giving as much as she was taking. It was great. She was she was She was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I mean the the scene the last line of this where I say, hey, let's let's leave before you get any older, and she's like, hey, that's funny.
Speaker 2: That was the two of us just riffing at the end.
Speaker 1: Wow, And so that was none of that was written, and she was the first one to kind of shoot it back as she got us like, oh wow she's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really funny. I loved that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So a pretty older woman there by the way, very reminiscent of Maitland Award.
Speaker 2: I saw her and I was like, wow, she interesting.
Speaker 3: Okay, so she says hi. She shakes Eric's hand, telling a surprise Eric. Her name is Brenda. Eric realizes who she is and says, oh you are be didn't get the message from his mom. They had car trouble and can't make it. Where are they coming from?
Speaker 2: There? None of them? I don't get what's happening. If she's setting her up with Turner, which is why there? And why are did she meeting.
Speaker 1: At Turner's house or are they meeting somewhere neutral? Why are they coming to the Matthew?
Speaker 2: They were having a double date. They were going to have a double dates, were going to go out.
Speaker 3: She was going to introduce them on a double date. Way did they say that or did you guys just know.
Speaker 2: We had to figure this out.
Speaker 6: That's where I was sitting there, going what scene I missed? You just set up this scene.
Speaker 2: It's I didn't put that together. You both did. There probably was a morning scene written where, like, you know, Corey was getting breakfast and they talked all this out and they just decided to cut it and explain it all on this scene and it doesn't work.
Speaker 1: It's like started in the middle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because then she says, you know, they have car trouble and they can't make it, and so Brenda takes off her jacket, revealing a short red skirt and says, oh, well, I guess it's just you.
Speaker 2: And me, Which was my question. Why isn't it just the two of them?
Speaker 3: If it was going to be a setup for them, why not still let Turner come over and just sorry, guys, we have car trouble wherever we are, who knows where we are before this day ahead with your date, but go ahead, sorry, we won't be able to make it tonight. So anyway, totally understand why she thinks you are Jonathan Turner.
Speaker 1: Wait do you that's I'm asking do if you walked in and saw me, did I look like at that age I could be old enough to be a high school teacher?
Speaker 3: I don't think you look young enough to be her teenage son.
Speaker 2: Okay, bye bye that she.
Speaker 3: Sees you and doesn't like stare you down and go hello, teenager, I can see how that could happen.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, gotcha? Gotcha? Okay, I was wondering about that.
Speaker 3: But so she walks past the couch and Eric responds, yeah, just you and me and the collected works of Billie Bob Shakespeare as he holds up his book, and Brenda laughs, Amy told me you're very devoted to your work. She then notices the family photo of the Matthews and realizes who she is flirting with, and this moment where she realizes it is great.
Speaker 2: She's great. She said, that's a hard thing to sell, and yes, pulls it off. It's funny, it's natural.
Speaker 3: Yep, great actor, really really great, and she says, oh my god. Eric laughs, Yeah, I know, I was hitting puberty the exact moment they took that picture, and Brenda clarifies, Oh, no, I thought you were Jonathan Turner. Your mother was fixing us up tonight. Brenda admits she feels very stupid. Eric assures her, I'm actually kind of flattered. Look my mom called and canceled mister Turner, which is now why we this is the first time we figure out that that's why he isn't here. So okay, a lot of just exposition to tell us.
Speaker 1: What's going on here, and also pre cell phone, so it wouldn't be like you'd get a text a call saying, hey, this has been canceled.
Speaker 3: Right right, and I haven't had dinner yet. So let's say we go. Great, I have a bite ski the confidence I know on this.
Speaker 2: Kid, shoot your shot sometimes really just oh.
Speaker 3: He grabs his coat and he says, let's get out of here before you get any older. She follows and says, that's funny.
Speaker 2: That's fine.
Speaker 3: She get the sense that she doesn't really think it's that funny, really really good.
Speaker 2: Uh, this is quite a storyline.
Speaker 8: Just this is quite a storyline, a storyline twenty eight and eighteen, twenty eight.
Speaker 2: And eighteen, and she very quickly was like, yeah, all right, let's go on a date kid.
Speaker 8: That's there was not a second of hesitation. Yeah, put the year old gay, my friend's son. I'll take my friend son. I will I'll do it. Yep, you know what you called my blood, I'll do it.
Speaker 2: There's no hesitation. Let's go grab a mike.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm in done, done, let's do bit. I'm into bite skings.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. You and me chuck e cheese right now.
Speaker 3: They won't let me leave unless we've both have the same numbers on an exactly I'm this is.
Speaker 2: The child you came in with.
Speaker 1: Yes, very strange storyline for a number of reasons, like just thrown in there. The story just starts in the middle. It's a weird age difference. Dating the kit It's not even a random date. It's dating Amy's Fred. Whole thing's very strange, very strange.
Speaker 3: So then we're in the Matthew's kitchen. It's later in the night. Corey walks into the kitchen and here's a loud commotion coming from the backyard. Kids are vandalizing Phoene's house with toilet paper, shaving cream, and wet paper towels. They smash a window and the lights turn on. Phoene quickly runs outside, but the perpetrators have run off. Corey watches the entire thing happen from inside the kitchen. Phoene looks shocked and very upset, and we hear sad ass music sad and Sad as music witnessing, they lock eyes with each other. It's just fu Peenie and a salad for one was in a rout.
Speaker 6: So we've completely lost the boy's bedroom like this entire season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, never no no jacket. Uh No, that was INA's room Vegas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we have been We've lost the boys bedroom and gain Chubbies.
Speaker 1: You wonder if it's if that's what they swapped they did for now. They turned the boys bedroom into a swing set and Chubbies was more a every week kind of thing.
Speaker 2: And here's where I'll tell you, I think one of the strengths of the storyline was doesn't necessarily have an amazing payoff, but one of the strengths of the storyline was the only thing I cared about through the rest of this episode was was Sean there? I'm kick his.
Speaker 3: Oh if was part of the van Sean was there and whip creaming or shaving creaming Poenie's house. I was gonna I was going to be furious at you. I figured they weren't doing it, but like they set it up, they want us to think that maybe you were there. You left with them, you said I hate these exams, and and you left with them, and the next time we see them, this is going on, and and Sean, you weren't with Corey.
Speaker 2: Corey walks in from wherever he's been, and so I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: If this is the moment where they do have Sean act like a bad guy and now feeling pretty comfortable now speaking as an audience surrogate, if they do have Sean actually do something bad instead of just saying he's always on the cusp of doing something bad, I can tell you I don't like you. I was so inside thinking what if Sean's there. I was like, if that kid, if that kid, I was so I was going to.
Speaker 2: Be actually and.
Speaker 1: Oh man, they did set it up to where you could easily have been a member of the new LJG Gang. I mean it absolutely could have been there for leather Jacket, because hair guys there LJG Baby for this school, so you could have. But I don't think they were going with that. I think they were going with it was all about FIENI at this point. That's what the story shifted to, and.
Speaker 2: Just Bill being built, just all the music, Yes, a little much, a little much but I still like it. I loved it. And all the emotion that plays across his face. You read everything on his face. It was so good.
Speaker 1: He was disappointed and sad and I can't believe it happened.
Speaker 2: And you were Oh god, I was there for all of it. I was there for all it. Any of you ever vandalized a house? No, do you have a house? Well, I guess you have a story. Well, Will has a story. Well I don't have No, I have no stories. You must have egged the house. Well, tell us a hypothetical story, hypothetical story about you. Halloween back in Connecticut could get a little crazy. Really, there were times that I had friends that had friends. You had friends girls. Let's put it this way. No, I think we've established that. All right, you're done. We got our own.
Speaker 1: Version of l j G back back, and yes, of course we t peed and we and smoked cigarettes. And when my friends then got into grabbing, like you know, wanting to uh do like cherry bombs and stuff like that, I was out, like I'm not good with with on fire.
Speaker 3: I had a I had had a cool ant, like a cool ant you know, uh huh.
Speaker 2: She would let us go te ping. Wait, she'd let you go.
Speaker 3: She got paper and she'd take us, she'd drop us off. She parked the car nearby so in case we got caught run away car.
Speaker 2: You kidding me? Yeah? Wow? Yeah. What do you do when you TP out? You're just like covering the house.
Speaker 3: And you're just throwing it over the trees and it gets stuck and it's like all there everywhere to do some like elevated ruder stuff like take saran wrap and put it like the combine the two door that the front doors together so that they can't open their front door the front door.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. Yeah, you can do.
Speaker 3: We never did anything like that. We just t peed, and we always picked somebody that we had a crush on to TP like something like a good sign. He usually usually meant there was something we had a crush on you.
Speaker 1: He's like, Wow, if this guy likes me, he's gonna have to spend all tomorrow with his parents cleaning this out, cleaning this up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna he's gonna, he's gonna, he's gonna he's gonna be so happy I did this.
Speaker 2: He's really gonna like me. Trying to get this thing out of this land and David. This is what I didn't know where David lived. G P Jonathan Taylor Thomas's house. That would be amazing.
Speaker 3: I do have a really great picture of me though, in a huge oversized sweatshirt and sweatpants, and we had we got caught pretty early on this one time, and we had still the four packs of toilet paper were still in their like plastic wrap, and I was grabbing all of them to not leave the evidence behind. And we have a picture of me running down the street looking like the stapeoff marshmallow man with all the things of Tepe's second my sweatshirt. It's pretty great. Yeah, wow, right, you missed out. You were just feeding your horse, Susie, you were, and with the dead.
Speaker 1: Body in it, making dead bodies and yeah, doing your magic show.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's how it is.
Speaker 3: So then before we are in Phoene's classroom, we have a wild exterior. We like tilt and zoom into a window of the exterior of the school.
Speaker 2: Is Corey Matthews doing the camera work here? It seemed a little jarring. It was jarning. Yep.
Speaker 3: Well, Phoene is teaching a class about abolitionists and John Brown, who thought he was a hero because of his night rates, and he adds John was eventually captured and hanged by the neck for his crimes. While walking by the three thugs in class, he then says that will conclude the semester. Phoene reminds them finals are tomorrow, and I want to wish you all the best of luck. The students boo him as he says this. Then Tapanga walks up to mister Phoene, asking will the chapter on the Continental Congress be included in the test. Phoenie chuckles and says ms Lawrence. Tapanga abruptly stops him and says wait, wait, as she holds a voice recorder up to his mouth. Phoene assures her, you've done the work all semester. I have no doubt that everything you need to know you already know. Topega yells back, Continental Congress, yes or no. Phoene speaks into the recorder and says yes, Miss Lawrence, and she leaves.
Speaker 1: I don't know why, but I remembered that. Really I don't. I cannot tell you why. It was because I remembered. I remembered my b storyline because of the woman that I worked with. I remembered nothing from the A story, and then I remembered you with the tape recorder.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wait, is this the Continental Congress? And You're like Continental.
Speaker 1: I was like, I don't know why I remember this line, but I fully remembered that line stuck in my head.
Speaker 2: Don't know why. Well, you're a fan of US history. Yeah that's true. Maybe that's what it is. Yeah, I am I love you as sisty.
Speaker 3: So Corey then walk except to Phenie and says, look what happened last night? I was at the library, and Phoenie tells him, no one is accusing you. I know you better than that. Corey admits I think what those idiots did was way out of line, and Feenie nods, I must agree. I haven't always been popular with my students, but I have always had their respect until last night. And now my poor little heart is just even more broken for Feenie. Feenie goes on forty years ago, when I was a new teacher, there was a very small faction of students who were frustrated, but the majority of them wanted to learn. Now, with each passing year, I find that authority and respect have wrought it away and that small faction is now the majority, and Feenie.
Speaker 1: Continues, I watch our show, Phoenie, yep, oh, I don't write sixties. Sixties A new teacher, oh, trying to get their respect, and the small faction of Leather Jacket Gang there actually like.
Speaker 2: Belong right when there was still a thing. Oh, got it be?
Speaker 1: So you have like Frankie Stakeino's grandfather is one you could have. You could bring in random characters that were like, he's been teaching them their family for generations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Leslie, Leslie's Wesley's dad. Yeah, Leslie's dad. Really good. That show we haven't written or created yet is so good. It's amazing in my head. Yeah, I've already. I'm on season three.
Speaker 3: So Phoene continues, You know, mister Matthews. At the end of each school year, I also take a final exam. I examined my effectiveness as a teacher, and I wonder what have I taught? Who have I reached this year? Well, this year, after seeing what was done to my house, I realize they have finally reached me. Cory asks what he means, and Phoene says, I believe the term was dinosaur, wasn't it. I'm an old dinosaur. Corey tries to tell.
Speaker 2: Him that's a good thing. People love dinosaurs.
Speaker 3: You got your Barney's, your Jurassic Parks, and who could forget about Dino Flynnstone as he mimics Dino's barking noises so cute. Phoenie reveals I'm retiring at.
Speaker 2: The end of the year. Bu bom bomb.
Speaker 3: The official announcement will be very soon. Just then, Denny and his stupid leather jacket and his stupid leather jacket friends walk into Poenie's classroom and Denny threatens, if you don't move it until later in the week, feoene, we ain't gonna show. Finally, I was like, that's a reasonable threat. Yes, yess, that makes sense. I'm not coming as opposed to take care of it mine.
Speaker 2: You're going to kill you? Yeah, ash.
Speaker 6: But then also the obvious response is like you just if you don't show up for the desk.
Speaker 2: Okay exactly what he says.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's right, And of course if you don't take the exam, it is my right to fail you. So we see that Sean is now a new addition to this group. Makes sense though, because we know he has a leather jacket, and Denny addition, is a group right, Wow, that works too, and Denny adds, I wish I could have seen his face when he saw his house, and Corey tells Denny I did.
Speaker 2: Jake goes up to him and asks, Matthews, you kiss up? What'd you tell him?
Speaker 3: He starts to put his hands on Corey, but Sean breaks it up, telling him Corey's cool. He wouldn't have squealed and I liked this part. Corey laughs and says, does that make me cool?
Speaker 2: Sean? Is that what makes you so cool?
Speaker 3: And he walks away from the group, including Sean. Then we're in the school hallway. Sean follows after Corey, telling him to lighten up. You're the one who said we should stand up to Feeni and Corey Eel's back. I didn't say to vandalize his home. Sean gets defensive.
Speaker 2: I wasn't there. I didn't do anything.
Speaker 3: And this is where I wanted it to be a bigger kind of a reveal that you weren't there, Like I was hoping for there to be more of a moment about you not being there instead of that's fine.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. I didn't even think that though. I was so just there was no chance Sean was over there. But I guess he just knew. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I wanted to know for sure, but it was such a kind of a throwaway line. I wasn't there, I didn't do anything. It's like, oh, thank God. I literally was like, hallelujah. I still like this kid. Corey pokes him, but you knew about it, and Sean asks, what was he supposed to do? Stand up and says stay away from Phoene's house, and Corey says, you didn't stop them, Sean, and I think that makes you responsible. And Sean follows up, well, you're the one who started this whole thing, and Corey nods, I think that makes me responsible too, And then very loud guitar music plays, just extremely loud guitar music plays there for some reason. Then we're in Phoene's house, Alan, or we're outside Phoene's house. Alan and Feenie. You are finishing up cleaning the last of the vandalism out there, and Phoene thanks him, and Alan admits he couldn't reach the eggs towards the very top of the house. But a Feoene throws a bunch of cheese up there. On a hot day, he'll have one heck of an omelet, and Phoenie laughs, you're one funny man, Alan, Alan reminds him, I know this bothers you, but remember it wasn't the whole school, just a couple of kids, and Phoenie responds, well, you're right, but it really bothers me. And then Alan, who is in a sensible denim jacket. Yeah he's a good guy, turns out a good guy who's in a leather jacket, but walks down. But they put him in a slightly gang Yeah it's a busy it's more of a bomber jacket, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So he walks up to Phenie and he looks around the house, asking what's going on in PHOENI jokes, we had a wild toga party, mister Turner, sorry we didn't invite you. Turner confronts him, I heard this rumor you're retiring. What's that all about? And Phoene says he's worked long enough. This just feels right now. He adds to finally have time to garden, to read a good book, to travel, to eat a salad alone for dinner. Okay, he didn't say that part, but I added that part to do the things that I love. Turner clarifies, you love teaching. Come on, don't give these goons the power to change your life. And Phoenie asks, you don't garden, do you, Jonathan? He says no, but I can see where that toilet paper plant would come in handy sometimes, and Phoenie declares, I am surrounded by funny men, so good, and then Turner apologizes. Phoene continues, here in the garden, at the end of each season, you see the results of the seeds that you planted, and even on a particularly bad season, there was still growth. So mister Turner, sorry, but I must admit these days I prefer the garden.
Speaker 2: Boy. The only thing missing was an art Garfunkle song exactly. I would have really been hooked. That was it? Just crying all night?
Speaker 1: Just that's how I know when I see Daniel crying, I'm like our Garfunkley.
Speaker 3: Well, then we're in the Matthew's kitchen. In case you forgot, Eric is dating Amy's friend. Eric walks down in a very structure mall store, shoulder.
Speaker 1: Pad and suit it was like I went to a Talking Heads concert.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and stole his suit as I walked out. Was like, what am I? A bunch of small children packed together? It's perfect because it's overdone? Is trying just too hard?
Speaker 9: Too much?
Speaker 2: It was good, but the biggest gray suit they can get a circus tent. It was pretty big.
Speaker 3: So then Eric asks, can you see it your little boys in love? Alan asks, so, really, what's this one's name? Eric responds, Brenda Brenda Marsh. Amy looks up from cooking and says, oh, that's funny because I work with a Brenda Marsh and then her eyes go wide as she realizes what is happening. Eric smiles as Amy pleads Eric, no, you can't date Brenda Marsh. Eric asks it's because she's Canadian, right, and Amy clarifies no, because she's older than you. Alan asks an older woman, huh, Eric adds an older foreign woman. Amy groans to Alan he cannot go out with her. I was setting her up with Jonathan, which is a fair argument here. Yeah, yes, yeah, Eric, buts in, hey, now she showed up and he didn't find does key buzz loses wee bus, which, although it rhymes is not a very good argument here.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's not.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 6: It is a argument would just be like, we get along, we were actually interested in each other, so who cares?
Speaker 2: But I do like that he is eighteen, right.
Speaker 1: But your your dad doesn't bat an eyelash at eighteen and twenty seven?
Speaker 3: Well, but that's their they're dudes, but even dads.
Speaker 2: He takes a moment and then he's like, all right, here's the wallet, here's yeah. I think my dad would have said something had happened. He stops. Eric, how old is she? Eric smiles, didn't twenty seven year old when you were eighteen?
Speaker 1: Will? My parents didn't know I was dating seven year old? There is a very big difference. She was also thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 6: I only dated older women and to no one cares at the time. I mean sometimes, I mean I would, I would. I would pursue women that would care, that would be like, you're too young for me. But as long as the woman didn't care, no one would bad deny about me.
Speaker 2: This is a really good opportunity to talk about that.
Speaker 6: The double standard there, double stand there double standard that huge doublestand.
Speaker 3: Oftentimes dudes have no problem and actively seek out women that are significantly younger than them. That an eighteen year old girl would be a totally acceptable person for a twenty seven year old guy to date, and yet in the reverse it would be maybe talked about and she would probably be given ish for it. And it's one of those things where I say, it's funny that the issue is not like, well, if guys can do it, I can do it too, as opposed to maybe what we should say is it's generally inappropriate. Now it's a pretty big over generalization to say every single person is you know, and every single time it's inappropriate. But I feel pretty confident saying if Adler were a twenty seven year old dude, I would in no way, shape or form be happy if he decided to date a fresh out of high school or in this case, a currently in high school person. Ye, Alan stops Eric, how old does she? Air smiles twenty seven? Alan responds, oh, well, in that case, well you can't date her a lot. Which again this is now just the storyline that Alan is a bro dude, and he he's got to be.
Speaker 2: He's pretty much fine with it.
Speaker 3: It's just the mom who's gonna have a problem with this, amials Alan, she is too old for Eric. Alan stops her. Honey, hold on a second, Eric, how old are you now? Twenty four, twenty five forty? She sighs he's eighteen. Alan pretends to gasp. No, he's laughing through this again, Cuz.
Speaker 2: Dude, Rose dads crow dats yep.
Speaker 3: Eric gets in the middle of them. Come on, she's okay with it. I'm okay with it. When two mature adults make a connection, oh, come on, you never got me a pony. The Matthews were no Lennon king stronger thing down.
Speaker 2: I was like, I got no Susie. I got no Susie here.
Speaker 1: Also, did you hear what I did with my voice? I don't know why I was doing that. When I was like when two adults, well, first, I deepen does like when two adotes get together over that pony, I was like.
Speaker 2: Oh, starting my voice work, well, I like it.
Speaker 3: Amy grabs Eric Brenda is older than you, more sophisticated, more experienced.
Speaker 2: Does this make sense?
Speaker 3: Alan hands Eric has wallet in his keys and tells him to wake up. When he gets in, Amy looks at Eric dejected, saying he'll be the one on the couch and like that. There is just nothing Amy can do to stop her son from dating her work friend.
Speaker 2: It's very strange, such a weird storyline. Also, where is her work? What is her work? Do we know she's she's the gallery, but she's a lady and she's.
Speaker 6: Working at brick Split levels been around for a while.
Speaker 3: So then they're in Chubbies. Obviously it's the only place you can go. Brenda and Eric are on their date and she tells them this place is kind of funky. Eric explains, I tried to get reservations at that restaurant you like so much, and she clarifies, oh, Chateau le Fondula and Eric ya nods, yeah, okay. Eric asks, did I mention you look lovely tonight? And she says, yeah, you did.
Speaker 1: Eric.
Speaker 2: Thanks. She continues, so tell me what do you do when you're not in school?
Speaker 7: Which, oh, that's got you, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: What do you do when you're not in school? What do you do when your teacher isn't giving you homework?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, she says it, like that's not already the deal breaker?
Speaker 2: Do you travel? What do you think? He lives at home with his mom? Is daddy, what kind of stupid question is this? Have you been to Europe?
Speaker 9: I love?
Speaker 2: I love that Europe is like the height of world. Going to Europe you have around?
Speaker 3: So Eric scoffs, you kidden last summer, I bummed my way through Pittsburgh. Brenda starts laughing and Eric has to clarify I'm serious. Brenda asks, have you been to Europe? Feels like she already knows this answer, and he just tells her no, just Pittsburgh, but there is a large Polish community there. Eric says, I just realized why the service here is so slow. They don't have any waiters. So I'm going to go up there and order as something. Eric approaches the counter and then Turner walks over because where else would he be?
Speaker 1: See, that's the thing that was weird is I was going to say, it makes perfect sense that Eric would bring her to Chubbies because he's a kid and he's young and does to show how young he is. But then guy.
Speaker 3: So uh, Turner says, Eric looks sick. He said what did you order? So I don't get the same thing? And Eric asks, mister Turner, you ever been to Europe? And Turner responds yeah, oh, but the food here is nothing like it. Eric grabs Turner and brings him over to his booth with Brenda. Eric announces Jonathan Turner Brenda Marsh. Turner smiles and shakes her hand. Oh yeah, hey from almost the other night. Brenda stands up and smiles as she shakes his hand back, and then she giggles at absolutely nothing because she is turned.
Speaker 9: On by That's right.
Speaker 3: Really really nice of her though, to give her work friends, high school son a chance. She you know, I thought so that was really nice. She at least was like, listen, who am I to judge?
Speaker 2: Yes? Right? What do you do when you're not doing your homework? What do you do when you have to color outside the line? She wanted to get inside that giant suit.
Speaker 3: I can't help it. Eric breaks the silence. All right, I'm gonna go. I've got a study, you know, exams. He leans into Turner and asks if you guys hit it off, will this help me? And Turner immediately says no. As Eric's walking away, a girl runs up to him to say hi, and Eric asks her, so, Christy, you ever been to Europe? She says no, but during the summer her family's going to Pittsburgh. He nods and asks marry me, and.
Speaker 2: Then they cut it.
Speaker 1: You can actually see her she says okay as they're cutting away, which was a great line that she just adds in so they you can see the visual of it.
Speaker 2: But they took out the audio as they're cutting away. They didn't want people to then be like, what's going to happen with that storyline?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Is Eric getting married? But it was great?
Speaker 3: Yuh So, then we're in the Matthew's kitchen to Panga and Corey are studying, and she asks him to tell her about the great Gatsby. Corey proudly says, the best hockey player of all time? Next, writer, who are they talking about?
Speaker 2: Wayne Gretzky? Wow? Yes, wow, wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: And how many touchdowns did Wayne Gretzky score in his career?
Speaker 2: He? Uh, he had? He was called for I seemed the most on the cupcakes I've noted. Did he do something great? He was? He was the great one. He was great. He's the best of all time. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then Sean runs through the door. They're at school, Denny and those jerks, and they've got a bunch of people with them too. They're up to something something bad.
Speaker 2: I like though that. Sean is like you, yeah, right, let's go. Let's go make sure it was just like that. We're gang. The three of us are all in this together. Yes, the lamest meeting.
Speaker 3: And I also have a denim jacket on, so you know I'm a good person.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we all go running out of the house to school. New set alert. Yeah, this new set alert outside of John Adams the same spot where different different different exterior YEP, with some spray paint. Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: When they arrived, it has a real twenty one jump street vibe. There's spray paint everywhere. Teenagers are yelling and slamming garbage cans to the ground. It's like bringing to noise, bring in defunk. There's painting all over the walls. They're throwing traffic cones everywhere. Someone even wrote die Die Die Die Feene was another one on the other side.
Speaker 2: It's like this is real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man level, Sean says he's going to call the cops. Sean says, there's no time. This is our school. I'm not turning my back. I sleep here every day. It does a great and great mix of you showing passion and reality for the situation, and also still being able to throw a joke in there that actually will be a lot funny, very funny. Corey tells him, but the police are trained in handling unruly crowds, and Sean scoffs, oh, come on, and I could have used a really nice, quirky, dorky call back here.
Speaker 2: I still love that nickname.
Speaker 3: Corey says, all right, I'm right behind you, and Sean yells out, hey, Denny. Denny turns around and says, hey, hunter man, you're just in time. Here's your spray can. Sean, with the power of the leather jacket, smacks the spray can out of his hands and says, I don't think so. Denny pushes a pair of pliers against Sean, sending him stumbling backwards, and he asks, you're gonna stop me. Denny says, I didn't think so. Corey steps in and yells, guys, come on, why are you doing this. Patrick Renna, who's barely said a word up until this point, explains to show Feeni, We're not going to take his stinking tests, and Denny adds, oh, yeah, we are. We're going to take his stinking tests. Right off his stinkin' desk. STI tests, stinkin guy.
Speaker 2: We're not just gonna vanalyze the school. We're gonna take the test. The stinking desk, stinking off the stinking desk, that stinking Phoenie. Thank you for stinky.
Speaker 1: Phoenie, stinking stinky thanky for keo say that's five times fast.
Speaker 2: Panga asks, I so look out of place here. I thank god we've got to peg it.
Speaker 1: She's got our back here with my new How.
Speaker 2: About you guys, You guys just tried studying. Oh no, to pego, We've never thought of that.
Speaker 3: Thanks for that suggestion, you and your stupid stinky denim jacket.
Speaker 2: Stinking denim jacket, good girl denim.
Speaker 3: Now, Renna is on a roll and he responds, who needs that phoene teaching anyway? It's all about dead old guys like him, And Denny tells him he doesn't teach history.
Speaker 2: He is history.
Speaker 3: He doesn't care about us your heels, of course, he cares about you.
Speaker 2: Writers.
Speaker 6: Just watch Grease over and over and over again, and it's like we never never got out of that.
Speaker 1: Boy boy, crazy boy, Like what are you gonna break into song? It's so strange all the way, like, what.
Speaker 2: Are they doing? It's crazy.
Speaker 1: It is so like waiting for I'm telling you, we don't get Feenie out of here. See, we're gonna punch him in the mug, like, what the hell is happenings? Talk about them stinking tests.
Speaker 3: I love imagining all of our writers watching Greece at lunch.
Speaker 2: It's all right, we got to watch Greece again again. Let's watch what.
Speaker 1: Too.
Speaker 2: We're taking this to the second level to everybody.
Speaker 1: Really, oh man, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Corey yells, of course he cares about you.
Speaker 3: He's trying to push this little nugget of education past your baseball statistics and your criminal record.
Speaker 2: Right here, An he Pokestanny on the forehead.
Speaker 3: Denny scals, if you touch my head again, I will break your stinking finger. He hasn't say stinking, but Corey takes his hand away. You see, I learned something, Sean says. Let me tell you something I learned from Phoenie.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 3: You guys can come down to the school yard because you've got freedom of assembly. I'm talking about Amendment one of the Bill of Rights, and Corey questions Sean. Sean admits accidentally read the chapter. Sean continues, I learned they've got the right to peaceably assemble. But the second you guys broke that lock, you broke the law, and I got the right to call the cops.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Denny asks about Phoenie, why are you defending him? What has he ever done for you? Sean points to the bolt cutters in Denny's hand and asks, you see how I don't have any in mine. That's what he's done for me.
Speaker 1: This is also two episodes in a row where Sean is threatened to call the cops on somebody.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're right, because.
Speaker 1: When we're at this swinging trailer park you were, you were also having to call the cops.
Speaker 6: Yeahe let's go to now is I'm just gonna drop a dime and very I you know again, confrontations with a thug like right, gangsters everywhere, and y Sean standing up to them.
Speaker 2: I'm going to call the pol.
Speaker 1: We're going to leave this swinging party in a half hour forty five minutes, and I'm going to call the cops.
Speaker 2: Yes, And mister Feeney opens the door and asks.
Speaker 3: Breaking down the door to take your finals, mister Burgess This makes all the kids run away, leaving behind Jess, Corey, Seawan, and Tapanga. Mister Phoene asks, so, mister Hunter, you do listen in class sometimes, Sean responds, some days you're talking so much, I can't sleep. I cross my arms here for everyone to gather that it's cooled outside, because I will probably not speak again at all for the rest of the scene. But I need to act alive, and so what I do is I cross my arms with a little bit of a shiver.
Speaker 2: Okay, you've got a jacket on, so you're working your way through.
Speaker 3: I'm having a hard time. I'm having I'm having a hard time acting in this show.
Speaker 2: Acting day for Danielle.
Speaker 3: It's just it was hard and I wanted you guys to know that the nott those guys give me the creeps.
Speaker 2: But it's a little and those guys give me the eb gbs.
Speaker 1: So now are they going to jail? Because opens the door, he knows who they are. They have bolt cutters, they've written die on the school. They've vandalized him. Do you think Phoenie then calls the cops.
Speaker 3: Well, it kills him because we don't ever see these guys acounts.
Speaker 2: I think, I think a body count between the Matthews houses exactly. That's why all dead kids. It's all fertilized kids. I love about his gard metaphor, and they grow. Jonathan, you are better than others because I was just now it's a majority of kids in my garden, and I don't have a big enough garden for the Did you enjoy the tomatoes, Jonathan, that's a great like. We've picked up on an underlying theme here, murder kids and using them to plan to plan his garden.
Speaker 3: Oh Man Sokry asks Feenie what he's doing here so late, and Phoene tells them, I'm preparing your final exams.
Speaker 2: You're not the only ones who worked hard on these STPs. Sean smiles.
Speaker 3: I heard Phoene's making them real hard so we can cram some more of that knowledge stuff into our heads. Phoene responds, you think these are tough, mister Hunter, wait until you see what I have in mind for.
Speaker 2: You next year.
Speaker 3: Kory asks next year, and Phoenie confirms yes, mister Matthews, perhaps this old dinosaur still has a few hundred million years left in him. Sean adds, we got to be out of high school by then, And I chuckle because even though I am on the show, I am sometimes mute, and I must act.
Speaker 2: My only decision, like it would be nice if it was.
Speaker 3: Responsive or it is in response to us, but it isn't really super clear, but it is that it is in response to us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he also made it off camera, which is strange, but that's like me dating an older woman all off.
Speaker 3: Camera, right, all, yeah, exactly to make the decision off Well he did or did he just make the decision right now?
Speaker 2: Which is what I think it is.
Speaker 3: I think it is that he was on the other side of the door, heard what Sean had to say, heard what Corey had to say, heard me say.
Speaker 2: How about you lady, You gentlemen just study, and he was like, Wow, those three I'm going to follow them to college. Yeah, that's what I think. I'm going to raise their children, and we're all going to be together forever.
Speaker 3: We're all going to be together forever. But the other kids and the other kids make for great mulch. Yeah, So Phoene smiles. He shooes us all off, and he looks around at all the damage to his school, and he starts to clean up. Just as he starts, we see a piece of garbage held out to him and re reveal it's Corey. Still with Sean and Tapanga. We all band together to help him clean up the mess.
Speaker 1: No, it's nice.
Speaker 2: And then we're in the school hallway.
Speaker 3: Everyone once again runs up to a piece of paper on the wall with their final exam scores. Corey covers his eyes until Shawne can't look to Penga starts reading out all of the grades C, C, C D. Sean Lasson says, boy, to Pega, you did pretty lousy. She explains, those are your grades, Sean, He exclaims in true happiness, Oh yes, she's very cute. Corey reads his grades next B B, B minus C plus B to Pega nudges him and says, boy, Corey, you did better than you thought. And Corey says, you know this is encouraging. He yells to all the students, people studying really is the way to go.
Speaker 2: Are you guys with me?
Speaker 3: They all scream yeah in unison, he yells, then follow me, and who needs to know what Tapenga got on her finals?
Speaker 1: Not me?
Speaker 2: Who the hell cares?
Speaker 3: We are back at Chubbies they're all gathered around the TV again with no books in sight, and I'm finally there for this one, y Panga is there? I am watching TV and the episode.
Speaker 2: What do you think the cast of Boy Mets World watches? What's what was our? What TV shows were we watching? Seinfilm Friends?
Speaker 1: Well, no, it would have been would have been right after school, right, Isn't that where he leaves, So it's like three four o'clock in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: There was no TVO you weren't. It was whatever was on, So it's probably like a Judge Judy kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something along those lines is probably what's on People's Court back in the days, right, right, some sort of TV that's weird between say two thirty and five thirty.
Speaker 2: You would know you are the TV expert here, It's true, so you back in the day you had to it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you find that kind of stuff because because your your soap operas were done already and primetime hadn't started, so it was that kind of like you know, game show lull.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right before you get into the evening news correct correct, People's Court ish kind of stuff like that. A lot of talk shows stuff like that. Rickey Lake things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, all right, Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Podmeets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails podmeets World Show at gmail dot com, and we have merch.
Speaker 2: If you don't take care of that march, we will. Oh We're gonna kill that march.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: So join us for our next recap episode, which is season three episode nineteen, I Was a Teenage Spy, which originally aired April.
Speaker 2: Twenty sixth, nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're getting into our first yeah time travel episode.
Speaker 2: I cannot any weight? Yeah, does it go back to the fifties? This is Yeah, I think this is the show. We're just continuing the.
Speaker 6: Grease stuff they were really actually really want And then they were casting I think has everybody from like Happy Days Yeah and all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my god, this is so funny. They were going through with fifties teenage whatever. Yeah. Yeah, weird.
Speaker 3: And I don't I mean, I don't mean to make us feel old or anything. But we had a group of kids come to the house for Halloween, but we had somebody notice our jukebox and they were like, is that a juke box? We said yeah, and he was like, is it from the seventies? And we said it's actually from the sixties. And then another kid who was with the group of kids said, did you see they have a jukebox from the nineties? And I realized the nineties are as far away from them as the sixties were for us when we were so you think about how we feel about the nineties, that is how our writers were feeling.
Speaker 2: About the sixties. Six sixties. Yeah, it's a little crazy. So anyways, sense LGG.
Speaker 3: When you're red Chet, You're red Chet all the way, easy action, great, We love you all, pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and writer Strong Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Pod Meets World Show or email us at Pod Meets World Show.
Speaker 2: At gmail dot com.