Speaker 1: It's a late fifteen to ten touchdown.
Speaker 2: Chargers.
Speaker 1: What's up? Guys?
Speaker 3: Welcome into a brand new episode of Chargers Weekly as the Bolts head to lambeau Field this Sunday, coming off a very entertaining game, a difficult loss forty one to thirty eight to the Detroit Lions, and money, if you can believe it, we sit here in mid November. I think every single team, say for maybe the Tennessee Titans and the New England Patriots, are in this playoff hunt. They're either in it or a game back of the seventh seed. I don't think that in a million years I would envision Burrow, Herbert and Allen being on the outside looking in at this point.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the good news I guess, right, is that everybody's kind of beat up on each other. That the Broncos knocking off the Bills on Monday Night was huge just because you get to play both those teams, you know, the Broncos twice and the Bills once at home, so that still gives you an opportunity. The Browns beating the Ravens huge, you get to play them at home and try to get that tiebreaker. The Jets are ahead of you, or you know, with those teams that are ahead of you that you knocked off in the AFC, that's where nine and eight can come into play, is get those head to head wins. Problem is when you start getting into three way tiebreakers, and we got three nine and eight teams, well, then the conference record comes into play, and that's when you can find yourself in some trouble. So you know, you said it, Chris right there, Tennessee. There's when you miss. There's always one game that you circle, and that's the second it happened. We said, oh man, this is a bad loss. This team is not good. And you allowed them to just hang around and play Tennessee football. You didn't put your foot on their throat. And you get that three and out in overtime, and that's the one that haunts you. Instead of being five and four, you're four and five, and that just means, you know, you got to get a win over the Lions. You've got to get a win over the Dolphins. You've got to get a win over the Chiefs, you know, and then what's remaining now Ravens Bill's Chiefs, Like you've got to pick up a win in there, and that's that's what's got to happen now.
Speaker 4: And I don't I don't think nine and eight's gonna do it. I just don't. I think it's gonna be ten and seven.
Speaker 2: So that means the Charger's got to go six and two to close this thing out after starting four and five. And that's I think a tall order for the way this team is played, you know, just to be totally realistic, I think it is a tall They have got to change the way they're playing football. If they expect to go six and two over these final league games.
Speaker 1: They got to get on the same page.
Speaker 3: You got to play complimentary football, you know, you know, the offense with al Joshua Palmer and Mike Williams and Corey Linsley justin Herbert's making it happen. Keenan Allen, I don't know what aust We can say about him. He's an All Pro this year and I don't care if they vote him in All Product. He's an All Pro this year.
Speaker 4: He's that good.
Speaker 3: But defensively again, forty one points, I do that it can't happen against anybody, And I get at the Lions maybe as stacked as anybody offensively. We talked about all the weapons that we talked about last week, but after coming off the Jets and Bears, like we knew that what that was right. Those are inferior opponents that you're supposed to beat. But to allow forty one points to anybody in the NFL with the talent that they have on defense, it cannot happen, especially when you have these got to have a games, and frankly that was one of them.
Speaker 2: You know, there's it's Big twelve football, you know, can you get me two stops? And they got them too, but they need two stops that's what the defense got in that game too. Like that's that's crazy. You can't you got two losses on your ledger. Now when you scored thirty four and thirty eight points, you know this week the Chargers would have lost to two teams, you know, scoring thirty eight points, the Cowboys who put it on, the Giants and the team that they played, the Lions who put forty one. Otherwise, thirty eight points is the third most points scored this week in the NFL and you get a loss out of it, and it's there's so many stats that are out there that people are pointing two and it's understandable.
Speaker 4: The Chargers are a good team and they're sitting at four and five.
Speaker 2: So between the you know, Justin Herbert fifty eight regular season games in one playoff game and he scored fifteen hundred and two points and the defense is allowed fifteen hundred and two points and he's twenty nine and twenty nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that tells it. That tells you the story.
Speaker 2: You score a ton of points, twenty five point two, but your defense allows twenty five point two, and you're gonna be five hundred, you know, and you're gonna be nine and eight or you're gonna be eight to nine. And that's essentially what this team has been, you know, save that sweet four game win streak they went.
Speaker 4: On last year.
Speaker 2: So they've got to figure it out, and I know we could will you know, we'll dig deep into it. Just kind of painting with a with broad strokes here. It's you know, the other stat that got I saw posted is you know, the the mean.
Speaker 4: Would it be the median or the mean? I think it would be. The mean.
Speaker 2: Points allowed in the NFL this year is twenty one. It's like twenty one, right, So that's smack in the middle twenty one per game. If you the way they worded it was interesting. They said, okay, let's give the Chargers two points. Let's just say we'll give you two points above the mean, you know, or below the mean, and you're allowing twenty three per game. If you could just allow twenty three per game, the Chargers are seven and two and that's two points more than the mean in the NFL. Like, that's how bad the defense has been this year.
Speaker 4: And it's just I.
Speaker 2: Wanted to believe they found something after the second half of the Chiefs in those two games against the Bears and the Jets, they were just so dominating, creating turnovers, a ton of pressure, strip sacks, and a lot of it was that second half of the Chiefs. But then I start of thinking about it after the Lions game, and I was like, you know what, the Chiefs offense isn't that good this year. They've really struggled this year. You know, like this this is a buzzsaw. The Lions are there. They're probably the most balanced offense in the NFL running pass and just the way they block, and I think it's a reminder of just the issues that this team has got to overcome on that side of the ball if they're going to have a chance to go six and two and try to get into this tournament and do something.
Speaker 3: Bagent Zach Wilson, Aidan O'Connell, and Kirk Cousins before they got hot. Those are the four quarterbacks that they've beaten. The running game or the run defense rather, which has been pretty stout all year. Man, David, you don't see a lot of seventy five yard touchdown runs in the NFL. Jamiir gives what he did on the ground. I I wanted to believe too. Did this defense turn the corner?
Speaker 1: But money, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to say or what you attribute it to when you have guys that can rush the passer Golf wasn't touched.
Speaker 1: On Sun touched, not touched at all. The run defense, I mean, what happened?
Speaker 3: I just I don't know how you can come off of two games where you're on a national stage and you got the momentum and the defense to completely come out the opposite way of what we saw those previous two weeks, even when you take into account the caliber of opponent.
Speaker 1: I just I think that a lot of Chargers fans are probably just.
Speaker 3: Wondering, Hey, I don't know what to say anymore in terms of the d and how they can kind of get this thing back and reel it in. Like you said, six and two is a tall order, especially when you consider all the logjam that is, like the six to thirteen in the AFC. If you go six and two, you know, it's very likely you probably beat the Ravens or the Broncos twice of the bills and you get those tie breakers.
Speaker 1: But like you said, man, it's a very tall order.
Speaker 2: At this point, I just have to acknowledge it because if somebody else out there is thinking the same thing, I want to let you know where kindredge Kindred Spirits. You say log jam and I think log jam, and with Karl Hungus, I'll just leave it there. If you know what it is, great, If you don't great, you know what Brandon Staley said it. So I'm just gonna kind of back them up. Yeah, coaching let them down defense was like watching it back man, it is frustrating. So on the seventy five yard run from Montgomery, the linebackers just get sucked in. Basically, you know the line is blocking, right, and both Kenneth and Kendricks get yanked that way. Derwin ends up getting blot Look, they block the hell out of it when they run. They're wide receivers. They pull guys and they will block your ass. I watched Sewells and this is not something we see off and I saw him sent Kenneth Murray into the freaking fifth row of the seats. He blocked him so hard on one of those runs. But the Montgomery, that's that's basically a brain cramp by the defense. They all got sucked on that poll and it left the backside open. Derwin got sealed off. Alowe was too far back and it was just too late. They couldn't recover. So that sort on Murray and Kendricks to figure out, all right, who's making sure we don't get burned on the back side of this? And neither of them were there. Uh And Tuley was just too far out and he got blocked out of the play. But man, it's I don't even know where to start. So too can't allow these before yeah.
Speaker 1: Before you're going just I'm under Saint Brown too.
Speaker 3: You know we've seen so that seen these wide receivers all year long ago for big, big numbers eight for one, fifty six and a touchdown on nine targets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so all right, so let's go there, Chris, let's go to that. There's multiple there's two of those plays that I just can't make sense of it. I can't, I don't. I don't know how you decide to blitz off of amen Ra when in the all right, so they blitzed Dean off of I think it was no they blitz Jo off of aman Ran one of those big plays. He's got no chance, he has gotten no chance of getting to Jared Goff. So now amon Raz got a free release. And all Jared Goff wants to do is operate in the middle of the field. And you know, when Dean came in for Michael Davis, he did a great job initially of playing a ton of inside leverage, just shoving these guys I should say outside leverage and just shoving these guys outside, do not let them get inbreakers. That's what he wants. And then you start watching some of these plays and it's like, what are what are we blitzing off of aman Ross Saint Brown for? You're not going to get their number one. You know, they had one where he had Khalil Mack wide where he wanted him to chip Saint Brown.
Speaker 4: So that's what he does.
Speaker 2: You know, we kind of just gets a little bit of a shove on him, and the next thing you know, nobody picks him up. He's just wide open, streaking across the middle of the field. It's he's he's lined up to Jared Goff's left in the slot. Matt gives him a shove, it's an inbreaker, and there's nobody there, and it just ends up crossing the middle of the field for thirty five yards. You know, on that touchdown pass, everybody like they run Brock right in motion, all right, they're third tight end. They run them in motion from left to right. And I got three guys taking the cheese. I've got Kendricks, Jaw and Murray all pointing at him like in a fire drill following him, and nobody is staring at the number one weapon on this team, Saint Brown, who just takes that quick screen and there's nobody left. Everybody's watching right in motion trying to figure out, Okay, who's gonna pick him up?
Speaker 4: What are the rules? Who what do we do now? And it's just you can't. You've got to stop.
Speaker 2: It's got to on the khalif Raymond play the first play when they got that giant chunk to start the final drive that iced the game.
Speaker 4: Job, oh man.
Speaker 2: The ball is on the right hash, all right. If you're the Lions and you're operating left to right, it's on the right hash of that's where the ball is. Okay, imagine the Lions are on offense. The ball is on the right hash all right. So I'm speaking from the perspective of the Lions. Jaw is lined up between the left hash and the numbers. From the perspective of the Lions, I hope this paints a picture for people's minds either are listening to the.
Speaker 4: Pod only when that ball is snapped, he is.
Speaker 2: He's got to be at least twenty five yards from Jared Goff and he is blitzing from that position. Right hash is where the ball is snapped. He is between the left hand and the numbers, five yards off the line of scrimmage, and they call a blitz from him. So he comes has zero chance of getting home. I mean less than zero, if that's possible. Chance of getting home. And what happens is it clears out that left side. Well Leonard is ten yards off the line of scrimmage. Khalif Raymond just immediately cuts it on an inbreaker, cuts inside and is streaking across the middle of the field. It's cleared out because you've got two guys running downfield on that opposite side where Job blitzed from. So now the other corner and the safety take those two players and there's nobody there, and you've got Dean Leonard guarding thirty yards of grass with nobody there, and you've got Eric Kendrick's paying attention to Jared Goff's eyes. Is Khalif Raymond streaks right by him and that thing goes for seventy yards or whatever it was, fifty yards, you know, to get that thing started and put him into field goal position.
Speaker 4: Like those are the plays that I've got.
Speaker 2: I believe they go back and watch and go, we can't do this, Like both of these blitzes from these from the corners, you know, from John from Dean failed miserably and led to explosive plays.
Speaker 1: Its week.
Speaker 4: So that's yeah, you know, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Though it's it's week ten right now. And you know, honestly, I don't think Charger fans want to even.
Speaker 1: Hear about playoffs right now. Right It's it's just one game right now. To even get back into the conversation. Starting with Green Bay.
Speaker 3: Let's touch on the offense a little bit, because I thought after that interception, I mean it was a Justin Harber gay Man three hundred twenty three yards, four touchdowns, you know, still kind of a slog running the football. Nineteen for sixty seven for Austin Eckler. I mean, I think the most frustrating part about this money is you waste an eleven for one seventy five and two touchdown performance from Keenan Allen, who who got hurt, came back scored another touchdown. And when you see Justin Herbert play the way he has, especially in gamesley he's got to have a games, it becomes increasingly frustrating because you're always going to be in a game when number ten.
Speaker 4: Is your quarterback.
Speaker 3: Look at every loss, look at every loss save for Kansas City, and even that they were in that game. I think that's what's most frustrating is because Justin has adapted to life without Mike Williams to life without Joshua Palmer last Sunday to life without Corey Linsley or all Pro center.
Speaker 1: And he puts up thirty eight points.
Speaker 3: Jalen Geitton scores a touchdown, Quentin Johnson gets his first touchdown of the year. So he's trying to work with what he's got outside of Keenan in Austin, and he's doing it. And yet, like you said, thirty eight points would beat every single team in the NFL except for the Cowboys and Lions. And here we are four and five with a matchup against Jordan Love at lambeau Field. I have no doubt that Justin's going to show up to that, but I don't know how that's going to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their offense stinks, so look, if they lose that game, it's that's a disaster. You know, they should win that game. They should win that game handily. The Packers are not very good this year, specifically in the passing game, and they ought to be able to the Chargers ought to be able to score on them. Never know, you know, you never know. But just going back to what we were saying, I want to give Shannon credit. Shannon Ferron, who does our sidelines because she, you know, let our producer know, hey, let me in real quick, and so we popped you know, we got her mic up and she mentioned after the defense held the Lions to that turnover on downs at that goal line stand. Remember they went three and out and Herbert had two bad passes. Remember he kind of he dirtballed two of them, just kind of was aiming and was just kind of not quite sure what he wanted to do. And you had those two incompletions and came off the field. Then I didn't see it because it was on the bench, but Shannon popped on and she said, I have not seen Herbert this angry in a while. He slammed his helmet down, he kind of ran his fingers through his hair and was just really upset, like emotionally upset about that particular series, I think because he knows a lot of it was on him. You know, those were two open receivers and he just didn't quite deliver the passes he needed to to get that first down. And that was it, dude, that was the switch. If you look at what the Chargers did after that punt, it is touchdown, touchdown, touchdown, touchdown. Touched down like that was That was freaking Herbert going extreme mode, like Okay, that ain't happening again, And that's how good that dude. I thought it was his best game. You know, everybody will point to the Minnesota game because he barely had any incompletions. He was blitzed on eighty percent of his passes. But it was just a poor perform you know, Look, it was an exceptional performance by Justin and Keenan, don't get me wrong, but it was just a poor performance by Brian Flores and how he approached that. They he and Keenan were just able to pick that thing apart when they were zero blitzing seemingly all the time. So you know, this one, he's under pressure. He's got to move, he's got to change his release points, like you said, He's got to throw passes to Quinton Johnston to Jalen Geiton for touchdowns. You know that fourth down pass you want to talk about.
Speaker 4: Trust.
Speaker 2: Quinton's got three drops in the game, three drops, and yeah he got bailed out by those PI calls, but those should have been catches. Those are passes that are hitting.
Speaker 4: Him in the hands. The catch those balls.
Speaker 1: One to the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the house and just flat out drop. He's got to be better. It's like, come on, dude, it's Week ten. You're an NFL player. Now you've got to catch those balls. And again, this is something I saw after that one he dropped that he could have taken into the house. Herbert went over, put his arm around Hi, gave him a little encouragement like.
Speaker 4: Hey, let's go.
Speaker 2: But and I think this speaks to what I keep saying. I hope it's a turning point. You know, trusted him on fourth down, threw him a freaking laser into the end zone.
Speaker 4: He caught it.
Speaker 2: Its touchdown. So you know, it was Justin's best game of the year. It's his best game that we've seen in a while, just considering the circumstances, knowing that every one of those drives was got to have it. Defense could not stop the Lions. The defense did not show up, so it was all on Herbert and man, did he'd deliver it was It was impressive. I mean it was damn impressive.
Speaker 3: And to have the weapons that he had in that game versus the Minnesota game too. Remember Mike Williams was in that game. Cory Lensley was.
Speaker 4: The first half.
Speaker 1: Yea, Joshua Palmer was in that game, scored a touchdown.
Speaker 3: You know, Gerald ever leaves in the first half of this game too. We thought that Gerald could have a good game because you know, Detroit has has given up some some yards of tight ends. Pauum ended up just having two for eighteen. It was good to see Jalen Guiton involved it. It was kind of shades of a couple of years ago late in the season where he had a couple of big catch in Cincinnati and New York.
Speaker 1: And I think Justin really trusts him. So that passed city through the Genlem was beautiful too. It was for a touchdown.
Speaker 2: It didn't matter though, Chris, you know, like it just offensively, didn't matter who was in, who was out. They scored thirty eight points. You know, the run game, and you know, it's nice to see Austin get over four yards per carry. You know, a couple of big runs in there for sure, to keep it balanced, to keep the play action working. But you know, ultimately, this is a defense games. It's a you know, it's a defense let you down game. Like you said, no proud and what did we say going into this game. You know what's the key. He't up Jared Goff. He doesn't like getting hit. He doesn't like when the pocket gets muddy. If you keep it clean, he's a damn good quarterback. And man, was it clean all afternoon.
Speaker 4: It was clean.
Speaker 2: And the problem was they rarely blitzed, so they're only rushing four, which means you got seven guys in coverage. And when you're watching and these seven guys won, a Looie is out of the picture, like he's out of the frame when you're watching the All twenty two, he's so far back, he's playing so high, and it's like it's not fair to him. It's just not fair to a lowie to give a Monroe free release. And now he's streaking across the middle of the field and Gilman's got to be the guy that's responsible for him. It's like, stop getting hit with the right hand. You've got to chip that. What should have happened is he is. He is manned up on every play, and that is where a Loie Gilman is shaded.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 4: That's what it is.
Speaker 2: It's two guys for one and that's what you should have had. And instead he's got a couple free releases and a looie. Gilman is constantly trying to catch up to him, and it's just not fair to him. That's not the way that thing should be played. And I know Mikey Davis went down early. He wasn't feeling well, you know, and you tip your cap to him for giving it a go, you know. And then you see him down on the sideline with a tile over his head and a bucket in front of him. That's how bad it was. And yet he tried to make it happen. But like I said, when Dean Leonard came out, man he had a couple of really nice reps one against Williams, one against Reynolds. But to me, it's scheme. It really is, Chris. I hate to say it, but it is like these guys. I can't tell you how many of these passing plays. I'm just watching linebackers trying to catch up or standing there flat footed. On that fourth and two to Laporta, they're playing zone. It's fourth and two and they're playing zone and Laporta just comes streaking across the middle Kendrick's points Adam and watches him run by. He crosses the eyes of Kenneth Murray, who was just fixated on Jared Goff. It's a fourth and two, it's the game like, and then he just gets past Kenneth, squats, flashes his numbers, passes. Their game's over, Like, that's not the defense to play there. I'm sorry, it's just not because we've seen it too often, Bundy.
Speaker 3: The Lions thought the same thing because when you go forward on fourth down? What five times were they four or five on fourth down?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Four or five? So Chargers were three or three? Yeah, the combined they were seven of eight and the Chargers were three or three with three touchdowns on fourth down?
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 1: What a weird game.
Speaker 4: But the Lions.
Speaker 3: The Lions had no problem going forward on fourth down, and that has to be demoralizing for a defense when you know that the offense knows they're going to execute when it counts.
Speaker 4: How about this?
Speaker 2: I heard a weird one. I got a credit Scott Hansen. I ended up going over to NFL Network after the game because traffic was so bad, and DJ and I were hanging out there and Scott had just got off Red Zone and we were talking about the game, and he said, did you know the stat on on Dan Campbell for fourth down.
Speaker 4: I said, no, it is.
Speaker 2: You said, since Dan Campbell had been hired by the Lions, he has gone for it on fourth down coming into this game, right, So you add the four you had the five that he went forward here, So if you include the game against the Chargers, he has gone for it on fourth down one hundred and five times. It's not like the second place coach is not even near him, like that's that's his mo that's that's what he does. They just go forward on fourth down all the time. And my gosh, it has got to be embolding to you know, and empowering to that offense that he's got that sort of belief in you, and that's probably why they keep getting it.
Speaker 4: He's like, I don't care.
Speaker 2: I know we got stuffed on the goal line last time on that fourth and goal, but whatever, let's do it again and again and again and again.
Speaker 4: And it's a really good offense.
Speaker 2: I don't want to pretend like, you know, they got forty one points because they're not good. They are, you know, they are a goal offense. But the defense didn't that. The defense did not play well. They didn't play well and man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Well, so I had some people I mentioned today because you know, you look at the playoff picture right now, I guess is Dorian Thompson Robinson now would be preparing for a postseason game, can he?
Speaker 1: Piket and CJ. Stroud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just it's further proof that you can have a top five quarterback, but you got to play as a team, and you have to be sound in all three phases all the time.
Speaker 1: You got to play complimentary football every single week.
Speaker 3: And you know, for for all the heat that Matt Canada gets in Pittsburgh, they're six and three, right and uh and and they're they're kind of ascending a little bit more offensively. Defensively they're awesome. The Browns, their defense is carrying me every single week, every single week, you know. And and the Texans, you know, they've they've caught lightning in a bottle with their young quarterback and their defense, led by Demico Ryans uh is playing good football. So uh, it's it is a a reminder that you can have a quarterback, and a quarterback is going to keep you in games. Justin Herbert keeps them in games every single Sunday, Monday, night, Thursday night, whatever the day is.
Speaker 1: But this defense has got to show up when it matters.
Speaker 3: We're kind of beating the dead horse at this point, and I feel like we've gotten to the point of the season where it's just like you do kind of put your throw your hands up a little bit and say, hey, if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen now, and it has to happen against a good offense. And that's what we'll probably see in two weeks. Like, like you said, it won't even matter if they lose to Green Bay. They shouldn't lose the Green Bay in that offense.
Speaker 2: You know, So they should not lose a road game this year the rest of the year. Chris, that's that's like, that's the good news. You know, they are not playing any hug or not then versus Sending. Now you know, they are, no doubt, and that's a tough place to play. That's a good point. So that's that's a good point. They typically split with Denver every year they were as Sending their defenses finally coming around and starting to play well in advanced Joseph. The offense is doing just enough, you know, to balance it out. But you know, you got three road games against the Patriots, who I I wouldn't be surprised if they're in a race to the bottom at this point, like, hey, we're out of it. Yeah, clearly mac Jones is not the guy. He's been benched. Let's let's make sure we're in position, no doubt to get Drake may or Caleb Williams.
Speaker 4: Let's that.
Speaker 2: Let's let's see if we can get this day like that's I know it's not you know, no that they would never say that publicly. It's too tough of a game to to to wave a white flag like that. But so you've got them, You've got the Packers, who, like I said, they have just been anemic all season long. Uh, you ought to be able to take care of that obviously, the Raiders, I know, you know there it's the Jets and the Giants. This is that, this is where we're going to find out what they are. You know, they've got Dolphins, chiefs, Vikings, chargers like this is where it starts to get a little bit more tough for them.
Speaker 1: And then cigars maybe I don't know if they'll pack the cigars for the trip to Miami.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hey, look, I hope it works. Knock them off. You know.
Speaker 2: Let let's let's teams with the lower with the with the less lower records, let's go take out the higher records. We're all about it. I hope they keep because they have a chance. The Chargers have a chance to sweep them then, So it's an opportunity. Certain we are Raider fans, no doubt about it. Keep winning, man, you know at five and five's that's what we're all about. Don't let the teams that are seven and two and six and three keep piling up wins and pull continue to pull away from you. So you know that, and then you should win games at home, like you got to win these games at home. Lost to the Cowboys at home, lost to the Dolphins at home, lost to the Lions at home. Okay, now, beat some good teams at home. Beat the Ravens, beat the Bills, you know, win those two games. They got to go six and two. So that's the schedule, right. Your home games are the Chiefs in week seventeen, and who knows what that's going to look like, you know, if that's if they're still fighting for the one seed, or if the Chargers can crawl back into this thing. And maybe the Chiefs do have a couple slip ups, like they nearly did you know a we could go or whatever not before the bye.
Speaker 4: But like that's.
Speaker 2: So, that's one home game, right, you got the Broncos at home, and then you've got the Ravens and the Bills. So and I mentioned the road games save Denver, you're probably gonna be favored, and at least three of those four depending on how Denver plays, by the time we get there on New Year's Eve. Don't know what that's going to look like. It's it's there. It's not like it's not it's not the schedule. I think that the Raiders are staring at right if I'm trying to put it in perspective, like if I'm if I'm the Raiders, and I see, okay, we're five and five. How are we feeling, you know about going about going five and two the rest of the way, And I look at their schedule and I see, okay, at Miami, Kansas City, Minnesota, Chargers, at Kansas City at Indy, Like I'm like, okay, that's a little bit tougher to go five and two, you know, for the Chargers. You can make the six and two case right, like it's it's there to make the case of Okay, when at Green Bay win at New England. You know, now you're at seven. Where are your other three? Denver at Home? Now you're at eight. You know, at Denver at Raiders. Okay once like at one of those. Now you're at nine. And then can you get you know, the Denver Baltimore You know what can you win out of the Denver Baltimore cac Buffalo at home?
Speaker 4: Like it's there, you can see it.
Speaker 3: So you mentioned you mentioned the first potential gift, which is in New England, like you know, there's no reason to lose to that Patriots team. Week eighteen could be another gift the Chiefs County everybody, right, so that that could be your your second gift in the back half of the year. I just want to make this one point too, because we're going to talk about Baltimore obviously next week, because that's a huge game.
Speaker 1: They they score thirty eight points against the Lions two.
Speaker 3: The problem is they allowed six points to Detroit, right, So like I got to go back and look at that game further. I know that you know, playing in that in that environment, like Justin did a couple of years ago. It's not easy to go to Baltimore and win a game, but to beat them third thirty eight to six just makes you wonder, like, man, how did forty one points get put up on the Chargers on Sunday?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think with Baltimore two, just kind of looking forward to that game, which we can do, they won't. What we can do is you know, Lamar his entire career has been apt to make a back breaking mistake late in a game. You know, he did it against Pittsburgh, and he did it again against Cleveland. They had that game, a game was one and he throws a pick six. You know, it's tipped at the line of scrimmage, so it's a little bit you know, different than just you know, freaking guiding one right between the numbers to the opponent. But still, you know, he threw that one across his body into the end zone. That should have been you know, a touchback, but there was penalty on that play. But like, Lamar gets a little wonky late in games. So and I bring that up just because the Chargers have been in all of these games. You know, there's one game this season that they weren't in and that's the Chiefs, you know, and that really was just one play, right, It was the fifty one yard punt return that made it a two score game that they couldn't overcome. But for the most part, for you know, three and a half quarters, that's a twenty four to seventeen game and they're they're fighting for it. So you know, Lamar, it can get a little loose with it if the game is tight. And so that I think is something to sort of think about. If the Chargers can keep this thing closed, can that defense, which has been very opportunistic last week, notwithstanding all season long at creating turnovers, then get back to it. So but again they've got to figure out a way to stop the run, you know. And yeah, like I think there's two ways to look at that Detroit game, and it depends, you know, how you want to do, because.
Speaker 4: Look, the explosives happen. They happened.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was just a weird run by David Montgomery for seventy five yards where Kenneth just got sucked in and was supposed to mind that gap that he ended up finding. You know, he went to the wrong run fit He and Kendricks went to the same you know, to the same hole and had he just kind of stayed on that back side. That thing maybe goes for five yards, but it happened. But you look at the other runs, and they did a pretty good job on quite especially in the second half. They were really able to shut down that run game.
Speaker 4: So you know, maybe I don't know, I don't know what you take away from it.
Speaker 3: I wish, I wish the problem is like you know, it's like you could say, hey, we shut them down except for these two plays, but then those two plays count.
Speaker 4: Those two plays happened, and they count.
Speaker 3: The thirty five yard run by Jamiir Gibbs, count the forty six yard long by Aminas Saint Brown, the forty one yard from Khalif Raymond, so the twenty four yard from Gibbs to the air Sam Laporta for nineteen. I mean, just big plays all day and depending on when you guys are listening to this a huge game Thursday night between Cincinnati and Baltimore BEFO where the Ravens get a few extra days and come to LA. So you know, we should see kind of what that AFC North looks like entering that next week. But let's take a quick break and we will just touch on the packers for a bit, all.
Speaker 5: Right, guys, A big thank you to our partner Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider end laptop of the NFL and the Los Angeles Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at surface dot com. VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment capital of the world. Ticket packages boast in a array of offerings such as premium seeding to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, freemium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL onlocation dot com or search NFL on location today. Your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location All right, buddy, So.
Speaker 1: It's Green Bay Jordan Love versus Justin Herbert.
Speaker 3: Quarterbacks drafted in the first round twenty twenty they actually worked out together in Costa Mesa before the draft, so this will be another fellow rookie in that class that Justin Herbert will go up against for the first time. Losing to the Steelers twenty three nineteen last week, They've had some close games against the Raiders in Atlanta, and you know, they beat a Rams team with Brett Rippen and I forget who was even the I think it was Royce Freeman was the running back for the Rams that day. So they've gotten beaten pretty good at home by the likes of the Vikings and Lions in their division.
Speaker 1: Point blanket a game that they should win.
Speaker 2: So you know, just going through their schedules, I'm looking at it just off screen here. You know, this is very similar to the Jets and the Bears. Right here's the Packer point totals nineteen, twenty ten, seventeen, thirteen, twenty eighteen. There's your last six weeks or seven weeks of games. You're talking about a team that struggles to score twenty one points. So it's it's an opportunity for the Chargers to get out there to put it on you know, to put it on them and something that we talked about with the with the Jets game and with the Bears game. Put your foot on their throat, get up two plus scores in the fourth quarter, and get some rest because again the schedule makers did them no favors. You know, how many mini buys can they face and how many full buys? You know, they're coming off a Monday night or the Lions are coming off of buye. They take on the Chiefs, who are coming off a minibi from Thursday night. Well, now they're going to take on the Ravens who are coming off a mini buy because they're playing, you know, Thursday night against the Bengals.
Speaker 4: So like, you know, try to this is this is not a good team. They're just not.
Speaker 2: They're not a good offensive team. The Chargers are. They are a good offensive team. They ought to be able to put up they're twenty five to thirty one points and try to do it quickly so you could get some guys some rest. Get Keenan out of the game, get Eckler out of the game, you know, get Joey and Khalil some rest so that in derwin, so they can gear up for what's going to be a very physical.
Speaker 4: Contest against the Ravens.
Speaker 2: I know that's you know, overlooking an opponent and belittling an opponent and stuff. But you're talking about nine games of a resume, you know, nine out of seventeen. We kind of know what teams are, right. So they they haven't run the ball well, they haven't thrown the ball well like they they haven't protected well, Jordan Love is not taking care of the football well, like there's just there's there's an opportunity there. The defense is still solid. It's still a pretty darn good defense. They rush the passer well. But like, I don't know, you know, I don't know what else to say other than I think this is one where I'm hoping you can have an eye on Sunday night against the Ravens and recognize, Okay, they're going to be on a ten day rest schedule. We're going to be on a seven day rest schedule, flying across the country on Sunday. Let's let's try to get these guys, you know, a blow for that fourth quarter if we can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we could talk about it. I hope they're not overlooking the Packers.
Speaker 4: I really hope. I don't think they will.
Speaker 3: They know, yeah, because because Jordan Love. Listen, it'll come down to turnovers. Can they turn the ball over? Can they get to Jordan Love. I think the Steelers only got to him once in that game, and he is he has had moments, right, he has had moments with his wide receivers. Musgrave has come on the rookie Jayden Reid had a forty six yard reception last week, so he can get the ball to his receivers.
Speaker 1: Now, you're right, they haven't scored any points this. This feels like a Tennessee like game. Like I think that they're up in class.
Speaker 4: Thrown ten picks. You know he's thrown ten picks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a lot of likes.
Speaker 3: So so turn the ball over, So get the ball this This seems to me that it's Jordan Love is a step up in.
Speaker 1: Class from Bagent and Aidan O'Connell and for sure, right, so don't make him look even better than he is.
Speaker 3: I think that would be my only concern defensively, because they coming off that game, they're gonna have to bounce back in a big way because if they play like that, they will make Jordan Love look comparable to Jared Golf and that would spell bad news. That would mean that justin Herbert on the road at lambeau Field. I don't care if they're three and six or not.
Speaker 1: They're not. These teams are not as familiar with each other.
Speaker 3: But I'll tell you this, Brandon Staley and Matt Lafleur know each other pretty well, especially in that playoff game a few years ago when Staley was the defensive coordinator too, So there is some familiarity there between those two guys.
Speaker 1: It'll be an interesting matchup.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's a slam dunk game, and it obviously has to be a must win for the Chargers if we're going to continue to talk about these games down the stretch meaning something.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that's all I got. AJ Dillon and Aaron Jones.
Speaker 4: We know them money.
Speaker 1: They've struggled this year, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, under four yards per carry both of them. You got three touchdowns between them and nine games. The one thing that I'll say, because I wanted to make sure I was looking at the sack. He's only got ninety. He's only taking nineteen sacks this year in nine games, which is pretty solid, right, So you're talking about little over two sacks per game. And then you look at the old line. The old line's been good. I mean, I'm looking at pressures. You're talking about the two tackles only giving up twenty twenty pressures a piece.
Speaker 4: That's low.
Speaker 2: You know, your pressure rate is at five and six percent for your tackles, so they can protect him.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Now we'll see what that looks like and that you know, if I just go, let me see, let me clear it out to see what they did last week against you know, TJ. Watt and high Smith and yeah, Walker gave up five pressures and Tom gave up three pressures.
Speaker 4: So that's pretty darn good.
Speaker 2: You've got at Pittsburgh and you don't allow them to sack your quarterback and you know it's it's Watt and high Smith. That's pretty impressive. So that's gonna be the one thing, you know, if you want to circle, Hey, what where do we make our bones? Make your bones by getting to the quarterback. It's goot some pressure on them. Let's he's got ten picks to just fourteen touchdowns. He's completing just fifty eight percent of his passes. You know, try to get that. Let's let's get a return to the pressure that disappeared against the Lions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amen to that.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna do in Green Bay when you're up there.
Speaker 4: On Saturday night? You know what?
Speaker 2: I if I had to guess, you know, whenever I would call games in Green Bay when I was doing it nationally, I would stay in green Bay. But if I had to get I think the team stay in Appleton, if I remember right, So, I don't think it's going to be a night in green Bay. And since I've already been there a bunch of times, you know, I don't feel the need to kind of get in there and go check the town out and walk around. So if I had to guess, we're probably going to Appleton, is what my what what I'm assuming is going to happen Because it's an early one you know, it's that ten am Pacific. It's not the one PM where we're gonna have I'm gonna have to be up pretty darn early to get over to the stadium and stuff. So I'm guessing, you know, look around for a nice little spot in in Appleton to watch, you know, watch the uh some of these rivalry games this week Saturday night college football, some of the bigger games that are out there and see, you know, probably just hang around with DJ, eat some wings or some pizza. We had Tom Telesco on this week on Petro Some Money, like we do every week, and I had asked him what he was gonna do, if he was gonna eat some cheese, curds or brats, and he was like, it's just the most random answer. He's like, you know what, I'm a spaghetti and meatballs guy. I thought was just kind of weird. You know, It's like, Hey, I'm a steak guy. You know, I like, you know, I like seafood or something. It was not I like spaghetti and meatballs. But you know, his last name is Telesco, so you know he's leaning into his Italian heritage, I guess. But so maybe I'll go out with Tom and find some spaghetti and meatballs in Appleton.
Speaker 1: Get some endless pasta somewhere in Appleton.
Speaker 4: Exactly, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know, Lebo's a bucket list item for for so many people, and I know there'll be a lot of Charger fans.
Speaker 4: There that have that have pud a trip well in advance.
Speaker 3: So it's it's one of those places where you walk in, You're like, Okay, this is this is history, this is this is what the NFL.
Speaker 4: Is all about.
Speaker 1: It should be fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, it's gonna do it for us, uh for money. I'm Chris.
Speaker 3: We'll see you next week as the Charges take on the Ravens. In the meantime, gotta get a win against the Pack.
Speaker 4: We'll see so