Speaker 1: Mis Hi, Billy, Hi, Callie, what's up, Elliott?
Speaker 2: What's everyone looking at? Hi?
Speaker 3: Lisa? Billy is shopping for new sneakers.
Speaker 2: Let me see.
Speaker 3: Ooh those are fire.
Speaker 2: How much do they cost? Billy is checking?
Speaker 1: WHOA, that's a really big number.
Speaker 4: Billy looks like you do not have enough money to buy these shoes. They are expensive.
Speaker 1: Oh no, this is terrible. What are we going to do? Billy needs to make some money fast. Billy, you need.
Speaker 2: To get a job.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Stories for Kids by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play. Learning has an idea to help Billy buy the shoes he wants. But can children really get jobs? Do you think that's a good idea. Let's find out more in today's episode about the rights of children. Billy, are you looking at job postings on your computer?
Speaker 1: Oh, Billy, look at this one electrician.
Speaker 2: You could use your tool belt.
Speaker 3: You love your tool belt.
Speaker 2: Oh, and look at this one.
Speaker 1: You could be a flight attendanty you already want to fly?
Speaker 4: Well, you may want to look at some of the details of these jobs.
Speaker 1: What do you mean jobs don't have tails?
Speaker 2: Not animal tails? Details?
Speaker 4: The details are all the little particular things about the job, like what time you have to go to work and how old you have to be.
Speaker 1: Okay, see hours are nine to five Monday two Friday. But when we go to school, must have a college degree.
Speaker 3: But Billy's not old enough to go to college.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: Billy is not old enough to go to college, and he's not old enough to get a job. Billy is a kid, and kids need time.
Speaker 2: To go to school. Billy says, it's not fair. I agree, it's not fair. Billy should be able to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Billy should be able to get those sneakers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's his right.
Speaker 4: Well, Lisa, children do have rights. That is very true and very important. In fact, World Children's Day celebrates these rights. But it's not the right to fancy sneakers, it's not.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 4: But one right children do have is the right not to work. Really, but why, lingo kids.
Speaker 2: Listeners, do you know?
Speaker 4: Why do you think there are laws to protect young children from working?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, if a kid wants to work, a kid should work. Maybe a little story will help explain.
Speaker 3: Oh, I lostly.
Speaker 4: About one hundred and fifty years ago, Maya moved with her family from Europe to New York City she was eight years old. Her family traveled a very long way on a very crowded boat for many weeks. When they got to New York, Maya, her mom, and her two little brothers moved into an apartment with Maya's uncle and his wife and three kids.
Speaker 3: Wait one, two, three, or five, six, seven, eight, nine us nine people.
Speaker 2: It must have been a very big apartment.
Speaker 4: Actually it was a very small apartment in a building with many other small apartments called a tenement house.
Speaker 3: That sounds crowded and squishy it was.
Speaker 4: Maya's family did not speak a lot of English. Yet it was hard for Maya's mom to find a job, so she did what many other families were doing at that time in order to survive what she set up a sewing shop in her apartment.
Speaker 2: Everybody in the family helped.
Speaker 1: There were nine people and a sewing shop in that little, tiny apartment.
Speaker 4: Yes, Maya's job was to walk to the factory six blocks away to collect big bags of fabric.
Speaker 2: And bring them home to her mom, all by herself.
Speaker 4: Yes, the bags were very happy to carry, and the streets were very crowded.
Speaker 2: So it took her a long time.
Speaker 3: Wait, when did she do her homework?
Speaker 4: Well, Elliott, it was hard for Maya to go to school at all. It was also hard to find time to learn English and make friends and play with other kids because.
Speaker 2: She was busy working.
Speaker 1: Poor Maya way exactly.
Speaker 4: It's great to do your chores and help your family, but it's different when you have to work every day. And that is why many people fought hard to get laws that protect young children from working.
Speaker 3: Phew, what happened to Maya?
Speaker 4: Well, after working very hard, Maya's family managed to move out of the tenement house.
Speaker 2: She got to go back to.
Speaker 4: School yay, and when she grew up, became a teacher.
Speaker 1: Oh, Maya, Now is a good story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I get it.
Speaker 2: Now, what do you get, Lisa?
Speaker 1: I get why kids have a right not to work. We need time to go to school and play and.
Speaker 2: Be kids. Billy wants to know what other rights children have.
Speaker 3: Me too.
Speaker 4: You might be interested to know that in nineteen fifty nine, leaders from all over the world met to agree on the rights of children.
Speaker 3: I bet that's when they gave us the right to sneakers.
Speaker 4: Children don't have the right to a particular type of sneaker. Oh darn, But they do have the right to clothes, and that includes shoes. Kids also have the right to food and a safe place to live.
Speaker 2: Everyone needs food and a place to live. Exactly. Are there any more rights?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: The right to share your opinions and thoughts. I do that all the time. Yes, you do, Lisa. Also the right to education.
Speaker 3: Why goodness school?
Speaker 2: Yes? And the right to have time to play.
Speaker 3: I am so good at doubt one.
Speaker 4: Another important right that children have is the right to be taken care of by an adult.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Those are really good rights.
Speaker 3: I agree they do.
Speaker 4: Billy says he wants to use one of his rights. What is it, Billy, Great idea. Billy decided he wants to stop thinking about sneakers and use his right to go outside to play and have fun with his friends.
Speaker 2: Great idea, Billy.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Well, Lingo kids listeners.
Speaker 4: Today we learned about some of the important rights that all children have. This is a great time to think about these rights because November twentieth is World Children's Day.
Speaker 2: So tell all the kids
Speaker 4: You know Happy Children's Day, and be sure to always speak up for the rights of children everywhere.