Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this week Trend episode week Trend, I prefer the week trends oh reference to a twenty five year old SNL sketch. My name is Jack and I am thrilled to be joined by a very talented producer musician. He's one of the very producers of this show. It's Brian Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: Really, what's going on, Jack? How you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm doing all right, man, it's early, it's early, but yeah, how's your weekend. I'm healed up, I'm feeling better.
Speaker 2: Oh my end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, my kids sick, but that's just constant, constant state of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, weekend was good. It was uneventful. It was It was filled with the music of contemplate black male artists in their forties, in the way of Danny Brown and Andre three thousand, So that that was my weekend.
Speaker 1: I didn't listen to the Danny Brown.
Speaker 2: Oh it's a low voice album. He brings, he brings the drama. There's none of this hype stuff on there. Really, he's very serious, he's very adult and he's going through it or he's been through it so well.
Speaker 1: We are going to talk about the Andre album in a bit, which is a true journey. Took me on a real journey.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: I've only listened to it a couple of times, but I think it will continue to evolve into a panther.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely in my rotation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But before we get to what's happening out there, Brian, we like to talk about something that we think is overrated and underrated. You want to start, you want me to kick it off.
Speaker 2: I can start, just because you know yours seems you know a little more thought out than mine. So for me, overrated, you know, I'm torn, I'm indecisive. I put a couple in here, so I'm just gonna I'm just gonna run run through those. So my first overrated is birthdays for adults.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with us.
Speaker 2: So my partner's birthday is coming up and we're trying to I'm just we're just I don't want to. Yeah, I'm trying to navigate this this birthday. You know, we're both old, so we don't give a shit about our birthdays. But there's this nagging feeling of like some sort of obligation that you need to do something or go somewhere. Yea, And it's really tiresome because it's like we're just we're just sat here like I'm I'm just I'm just a lob and stuff at or like hey, you want to do this, you want to go here, and it's like, I mean, I guess we might as well. It's just like you know, we're we're both you know, basically like forty and have disposal incomes, and we just could not care less about how old we are or what we should be doing on our birthdays. And it's just like, I don't know, I feel like that's a concept that should die in like a Logan's Run esque kind of way, where once you hit a certain age, you just you stop getting birthdays or they're just sort of like lumped together, or they're just sort of periodic. There's a holiday for.
Speaker 1: All the people one yeah, yeah, but just like get out of there.
Speaker 2: After thirty you just have a birthday every ten years or something like that. I don't know, but it's like, yeah, it be helpful if culture was just like, no, that's after this age, you don't get birthdays, like after.
Speaker 1: Eighteen, what do we think after eighteen?
Speaker 2: Coup work? But like I feel like people in their twenties really like still get something out of.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah, still need it.
Speaker 2: It wasn't me personally, but yeah, I feel like I feel like, you know, Logan's Run rules, like like thirty, they hit you with the blue laser and you don't get any more birthdays.
Speaker 1: What happens in Logan's Run. I actually never watched.
Speaker 2: Well you can like you can like do whatever you're born, you can do whatever you want. I mean, there's I have a lot of questions about Logan's Run. I actually don't like that movie, but I find it fascinating because there's no black people, and the house the society works is real. They never they didn't flesh out the details, but basically, you're born, you can live free, you don't have to work, or you can bone all this stuff. And then when you hit thirty, they take you to the arena and they hit you with that laser or whatever the fuck it is, and then you're gone.
Speaker 1: They kill you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they get rid of your ass man all right, And you know, I don't think it's a terrible idea in certain aspects.
Speaker 1: Thirty is pretty young, but thirty is pretty young.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's it's a curious film to me. I always always found it a little odd. Second thing, just real quick, is new therapist because or overrated? Yeah, yeah, because you're not they themselves. But the whole process of not just finding one, but it's more after you found one that you think is viable, the whole process of catching them up on everything that's wrong with you. That is the fucking pain in the ass of like where do you start and then you only have an hour to like start catching them up and you gotta pick. It's just it's such a weird format. Me. Yeah, like, especially with a new therapist, there's so much wasted time. Tip to me of I wish, yeah, I wish you could like do like Matrix style, just download all your trauma into someone's brain so you don't have to like talk through it. You can just get down to brass tacks. It would just it would be so nice.
Speaker 1: If you will check your inbox. I've sent you twelve single space pages.
Speaker 2: Like a trauma dossier. So yeah, those are.
Speaker 1: My overrated all right, my overrated. I got a couple too. I got just current websites generally, I don't know that at a certain point I just expected accepted that websites were going to be bad. And that's weird because I used to work on a website and they don't have to be broken, and they like they used to work when there was a problem that people were facing, like an article page was broken, or like ads were choking out people's ability to like read an article, like you would then go talk to the people who worked on the programming side, and they would they would, you know, try and fix that, fix that. You know.
Speaker 2: It's funny, Jack, because I feel like it used to be like porn sites that were jammed up with ads and pop ups and stuff back in the day. Yeah, now it's news sites.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've just given up.
Speaker 2: The news sites are the new porn sites because man, they are just completely and it's fun. It's fun because it's like it's different when you're trying to, like, I don't know, watch porn for example, Like there's not a whole.
Speaker 1: Lot of many years. Let's be honest, that's what Let's say. For instance, I don't know, you're watching porn and.
Speaker 2: It's like there's no information in cotant information that that site's trying to impart. It's for entertainment purposes. But yeah, when you're trying to read an article and you got like, oh man, I mean, we've all seen it. It's just brutal.
Speaker 1: It's gotten so bad, it's so yeah, yeah, so that's a mess. I feel like we've just kind of given up, and I'm not sure. I don't know that there's a way to fix it necessarily other than I get I guess like the subscription sites but where you don't have ads are more usable. But it's truly it just at a certain point it got so bad and everyone was just like, yeah, that's that's just like what what the Internet is. And like a lot of times, like news sites are like you have an ad blocker on, you can't you can't come here, and that sucks for you.
Speaker 2: Is it just the advertisements or is are there design elements that are or I think.
Speaker 1: They just stopped paying a tent like they stopped it. Just the whole thing feels vastly understaffed. It's the Van Vaught of it all. Also, you know, I refer to frequently this article where I saw a headline on the side of a news article that said, it's no big secret why Van Vought no longer works in Hollywood. It was a picture of Vince Vaughan. They had outsourced the headline writing to AI, and it feels like a lot of different things have been outsourced to AI and we're just not acknowledging it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is from different from multiple angles, like quality.
Speaker 1: Drop, Yeah, the other one that's just kind of random. But crowd scenes and movies are I just watched the movie King Richard. My family's gone through a bit of a tennis thing at.
Speaker 2: The moment, a bit of a will Smith, a bit of.
Speaker 1: A will Smith phase. But the movie like ends with a climactic crowd scene that like doesn't really make sense. They're like leaving Venus Williams's first public match or like her first one that like people were like, wow, she's really good and she's sad because she ends up losing it. It's like a rocky you know, sports movie ending rocky shaped sports movie ending the right. But then as they leave, like the empty stadium at the end, there's this crowd of people in like an otherwise desolate landscape, like an empty parking lot. So they've like, I don't know, it's like car commercial, empty the landscape. But then this inexpicable crowd that seems like there's something from like a video game, are just there being like Venus, Venus, Venus over here for an autograph, Venus. Hurrah for you, Venus. We are your fans, Venus. I was watching with my wife. She's like, who are wait, what's happening? Who are these people? And it's like it's been a pretty solid movie to that point, but it's just like it's the like all and the performances by the crowd are like really bad. They don't really make sense. They're like, like what Serena, who is not yet a known tennis player, like gives somebody an autograph. They're like, you two, Serena, And then she gives someone an autograph and like someone like pumps their fist even though they like wouldn't know who her little sister is. But yeah, I don't know. I've just been noticing this a lot, Like, as I mentioned, we were going through like a thriller phase. We just watched in the Line of Fire and there's this like key scene in a presidential campaign stop where like John Malcovich fools Clint Eastwood with a popped balloon, and it's like part of the thing that drives it is like that he's in the middle of this like frantic crowd, but the crowd is like doesn't make sense. It's just people in suits with like wooden expressions on their face, just like rushing the president for no good reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, directing crowds must be a real pain in the ass. There's just way too many, way too many particles in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, there's too much, too much to control for. But it feels it just feels like there's a huge gap between the like writing and like conception of a crowd scene and then like what they they are apparently a nightmare to pull off because especially movies where we're like rewatching things on high def and you're gonna get just like, have you ever rewatched the movie Braveheart purpose?
Speaker 2: Not on purpose? I have seen it multiple times, but never of my own volition.
Speaker 1: That was like the movie that substitute Teachers showed in Kentucky when like with you know, I probably watch Braveheart like multiple times through in high school.
Speaker 2: Mel Gibson's historical films famously have a real problem with accuracy.
Speaker 1: So interesting choice, Yeah exactly, But like the crowd battle scenes, it just looks, I don't know, it looks like he hired a hundred just dudes off the street. They're like running into certain death. But they have like these like smiles on their faces, like loll, Like you can see the word loll on their faces.
Speaker 2: Like, well, that's because that's because he hired them for their butts, for what their butts?
Speaker 1: Like that's true. Yeah, must show ass. You can just tell. Some of these motherfuckers have Snapple in their bodies, like just around there, like they.
Speaker 2: Just came from the fucking the craft services tent just full of Snapple.
Speaker 1: It's just so much Snapple. And they're supposed to be like surfs in a feudal era of anyways. But yeah, those are my overrated. Uh, what's your what's your underrated? Brian?
Speaker 2: All right? Underrated? The did I put? Okay? First, one water pressure, water pressure and just generally, like you know, the modern marvel of plumbing. So I live in a place where the water pressure frequently drops to an unacceptable level and I have to take one of those one of those showers. I don't know if you're familiar, Jack, where you kind of basically have to like almost lean up against a leaky wall.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you're going just cover the wall with your body's grip over you.
Speaker 2: It probably looks like some weird sexy music video from the nineties. Unseatisfied?
Speaker 1: What is he doing to that wall? Something who just like happens on you know, my god?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's it's one of those things that you don't really appre and it's it's like, I'm gonna be moving next year to like a new place, and it's it's that's one of the things me and my partner that is top of the list is water pressure. But a bathroom with killer water pressure. So yeah, that's that's one underrated for me. And then another tangentially related thing is self imposed exile h slash solitude. So I've been in basically self imposed exile for like five years. Yeah, something you may not know.
Speaker 1: After you tried to take over the government.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a whole thing. But basically I've been sorting my life out and just staying at home a lot, and I've gotten a lot of stuff done. Yeah, I've worked on my mental health, I've taken my poor credit up to quite good. And yeah, just taking time for yourself to the extreme doesn't have to be a terrible thing at least no. Yeah, because yeah, now now I'm now I'm ready to get back out there and interact with people.
Speaker 1: And yeah, not Americans, but yeah, I was gonna say just generally, I think it's a worthy experiment for everyone to try and take, like some time if you were born and raised in the United States, to try and take some time away from the United States and like go through the like your your body may reject it at.
Speaker 2: First, but it definitely does.
Speaker 1: There will be a quietness, a quieting of the soul that takes place, and when you come back, we'll see things in a new light that some of the things that you just kind of take for granted having grown up in the United States, you like start to see as being like weird and artificially sped up and yeah, just dark impulses. But you don't have to partake in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so many things that when you step away and you come back, you're like whoa, like everything and it's just like, okay, this doesn't make any sense, and I just yeah, just taking away, it turns out a lot of my stressors, yeah, were.
Speaker 1: I hate.
Speaker 2: I hate that this is true, but a lot of my stressors kind of boiled down to America problems. Yeah, because my stress levels are an all time low. The range of of of strong emotions has narrowed, and I'm just I feel more balanced. Yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely was somebody who in my twenties and this isn't like how I come across like publicly, but I think like privately, almost yeah, almost exclusively privately. I was like, I'm an angry person because I'm very like angry at myself and like very hard on myself when I like fall short, and yeah, would there would be uh you know, little temper tantrums I would have with myself, like at myself, and I just like kind of taken that for granted as like that's who I am. That's just yeah, doesn't mean to be.
Speaker 2: It really doesn't. He don't have to be like an angry person. It's just yeah, finding out what what what it is. That's like getting under your skin, yeah, and seeing what you can do to work with that or alleviate that or remove that from your life. Uh yeah, it's it does wonders for your mental health.
Speaker 1: Let's see from my underrated I have like a page and a half on the digestive system.
Speaker 2: Which I was like so on board for.
Speaker 1: So first of all, nothing makes you appreciate something like having it just like go out on you. Like my digestive system stopped Yeah, exactly, My digesticism stopped working for a few uh last last week, and it was unpleasant. And also the other thing that has like put this the front and the center of my mind is one of my kids is obsessed with the digestive systems, like just with digest like of all, Like I find him reading about digestive systems all the time, like if there's a science book in the house about animals or like the human body.
Speaker 2: Like how do you fit that many miles of intestines in a person? It's incredible?
Speaker 1: How many? Yeah? Yeah, but he if you leave him alone with uh you know something that is attached to Google, well you better believe he is looking at the digestive system like getting all up in them guts, so to speak, with his mind, with his curious child's mind. And like at first, I like chalked it up to you know, both of my kids are I think poop is funny and are kind of talk about poop all the time. And I was like, this is just like a more intellectual approach to being obsessed with poop. But I also think that like the reason most kids and like most humans find poop funny, like at our most elemental level, like I think, you know, humor is like us realizing something or coming to terms with something that we can't like grasp with our conscious mind. And you know there's like anxiety or like a magic or something that's unexamined. But I think it's because it like deserves that attention, Like it deserves that power. It's like a massively powerful, incredible system inside of all of us that does something that I feel like no human invention can really rival. Like it takes our delicious food. First of all, it like craves exactly the food the fuel that like your body needs. It's in control. You don't realize it is complete. It's got a lot of neurons firing off down there, It's got taste buds down in your stomach, and then it uses chemical compounds to like turn that fuel that it craves and like goes like helps you go about acquiring into life. But like not in like a whimsical way. It's so like wet and sloppy and like alive. It's like a drive through car wash made of like blood and acid and mud and bile. And then also just like from an existential like lived experience, it's the part of our human experience that is most ground like you feel the big important ideas like a lot of times for me, it's like ideas my brain isn't ready for yet. I feel them in my gut, you know. And like what we today call like having feelings for someone, they used to call having bowels for someone because people in history were nasty, little shit freaks. I know exactly, I have bowls for you, baby, But it's kind of like for me at least in my lived experience, is kind of the most grounded, immovable part of my felt human experience. Like when I have anxiety about something unresolved, my brain can distract itself with bullshit, but my guts, like you know, they don't untangle so easily. Yeah, yeah, I don't know. It's interesting and yeah, so I don't know. I like to look at the things like my ds are into and think heavily about them. So next week you will get a you know, three hour treatise on Star Wars. I guess all right, those are our overrated and underrated Let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about some news and we're bank. We're bank. Leave it all right. I've heard of Sam Bankman free, but Sam Altman fired. So this is one of AI's big dogs in the world of like the companies that are using AI that are like fueling a big chunk of the growth in the stock market. He's also kind of the spokesperson. There's that Atlantic article that was extremely long and basically he was like a I might kill us all terminator style, and he was kind of the main source in that article. It was like kind of a feature on him. He's like going from one meeting to another around the world just being like, yeah, it's really scary man, Like it's you know, he told The New Yorker that he kept a Cyanide capsule on him in case of an AI takeover based like just in case, like like an AI takeover in the style of Mitchell's Versus the Machines or I robot is like one of the dangers of artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: That's that's how you know this guy's a chuckle fuck. It's like we literally AI literally doesn't exist yet. But your car you got that thing on you?
Speaker 1: Okay, but yes, yeah, exactly, like he's.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, he.
Speaker 1: Of all people knows. The longer this story goes, the more it becomes clear that this was a situation. So he was unexpectedly fired by the board of the company open Ai. There's been stories where like five hundred of the seven hundred employees of the company are like, if you don't bring him back, we quit. So he's obviously very popular at the company, but it seems like the board was saying, we should pump the brakes on some of this stuff, and he was more of a racing, full throttle forward with just trying to develop this into something that was, uh, you know, easier to make money off of, which again seems is funny because.
Speaker 2: Write that letter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's part of part of the letter. He's the one. He's Sinai capsule guy. And apparently the board found out he was like hiding things, are not being totally candid and yeah, so Microsoft has hired him, right, yeah a write up and was like, yes, he's going to lead a later division of our company. And uh, I don't know, it'll be interesting to learn more about what the nature of the disagreement is. But I feel like the market is doing the thing that we like. Anytime someone's like, well, the market will figure it out, right, I'm always like, this is this is how the market will work. It will reward whoever is the most ambitious about making the most money off of a thing in the most short sighted way possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, there's no altruism in capitalism. It's not a fucking thing. Everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does. They would end the world, I mean, and have shown this repeatedly with you know, fossil fuel companies being at the forefront of climate change research in the eighties and then being at the forefront of burying the shit out of that. So yeah, but Microsoft said that mister Altman would be chief executive of the new research Lab, setting a new pace for innovation in an apparent contrast at the Open Air boards desire for caution in developing AI technology. So we'll yeah.
Speaker 2: Because Microsoft was so so thirsty to get their AI tools out, their little co pilot thing, they're going full steam ahead, and yeah, I'm sure they're glad they have on somebody who's let's it say, they're trying to race full throttle.
Speaker 1: Forward, Yeah, into the breach.
Speaker 2: So it seems like a good match.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm happy for them.
Speaker 2: I love that for them, love that for us.
Speaker 1: Who cares about us? As long as Microsoft makes money, you know that'll be fun, all right? Brian, you are a musician. I it's you were a musician temporarily on hiatus. But I missed the episodes where you guys talked about Andre's new album, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your Digestive System.
Speaker 1: It was I was busy thinking about my digestive system. But Andrea dropped an album that when I first listened to it, I was like, this is spa music. But then like, there would be these moments where I was like, God, that would be like so cool if someone like sampled that, like wrapped over it and turned it into the type of music I like. But as the album went on, and as I listened to it a second time, I was like, I he has transcended rap music and death and the only true form is flute. Here. It's it's trippy, it's it's very interesting. It's definitely not the type of shit that I would normally be listening to. My wife found me listening to it was like, what are you listening to?
Speaker 2: Oh? Nothing? Nothing like getting walking on while you're doing some new age.
Speaker 1: I was shirtless with one cloth on, sitting in Indian style. Yeah, but what what are your what are your thoughts? How did it kind of compare to your expectations?
Speaker 2: So my first listen, and yeah, expectations is an important word, because I had a not dissimilar reaction from you. Of I didn't go immediately to Spa music, but I was there was this whole battle in my head of when it first came on, and it has those really nice little chords going, and I was like, My first thought was like, Yo, you chopped this up, right, you chopped this up. You got a beat going. And I was like, and after maybe like ten minutes, you know, letting the song develop, that left my mind and I started to become absorbed in the music itself. Another thought that crossed my mind in the first track was this reminds me of music from Zelda, from the last two Zelda games, like when you're going like when you're chilling in you know, for my Zelda heads, when you're chilling in Latino Village just just to hang out with all the lovely people there, and that feeling you get of peace when you're in Jatino Village that's kind of what it reminded me of too, And then all of that gradually melted away as the album developed, and I started to sort of accept it as it is on its own terms and sort of forgetting that it's made by this, you know, one of the greatest rappers of all time. And yeah, just it ended up being what I think is just a really earnest expression and a good genre piece. Like it's solid ambient ish music. There's like an element of like free jazz and you know, like Alice Coletraine type stuff. But yeah, i'd put it firmly in the ambient camp and not like eno ambient. But yeah, it's it's great. I went and got a massage on Friday the day came.
Speaker 1: That's the real test. That's what I'm gonna this is. This has to be good for the massage business. Just a round a Aaronae.
Speaker 2: That's what I just said of, you know, about it being like this thing. Yeah, I did go to the spa immediately, literally almost immediately, and got a ninety minute massage and listened to the whole album and it was it was fit for purpose. Let me tell you it was great. It was. It was a fantastic audio journey for a massage and just sort of like letting your mind just go like where it wants to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good. It's a good just kind of doing nothing. You know, if you're into meditation, this is probably a good one to fuck with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just sitting peacefully staring out the window, staring at the ceiling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take another quick break. We'll come back. We'll tell you what Snoop was really meaning when he said he's giving up smoke. We'll be right back, and we're back, And a lot of the stories in this section can be summed up by the noise Brian may as we were going to break. So, first of all, a well executed marketing stunt, Snoop saying I'm giving up smoke please, but doing a kind of note perfect recreation of what it would look like if he was actually saying I have a problem please, Like, because he asked to for people to respect us privacy this time, at this time, him and his family's privacy. And it has been revealed that this was part of It's not even a Super Bowl ad. It's just like a an ad. He said, Uh, the only thing because I think we've been saying that we suspected it was going to be for a vape product or like a gummy's product or something like that. And the only thing we were wrong about is it's not a weed It's not for a weed product. It's for basically a gas fireplace, like a little smokeless fireplace.
Speaker 2: It's like a little trash can you can set of fire in your back.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, miniature trash can.
Speaker 2: A miniature trash can that you and your barbershop quartet can sing around when it gets cold at night.
Speaker 1: Yes, that you have the fingerless gloves and a little bendal yeah, little bendlestick, and that you're unshaven to the right degree. Yes, you can warm your little hands around this fire and sing doo up. But a lot of people are like this was well played, and a lot of other people are like, I'm so tired. That's what it feels like to me. It just feels like, you know, capitalism is good at capitalism, you know, like there's just there's always this is what the you know, top grads from some of America's and you know other countries humanitarian humanities programs go into.
Speaker 2: Is like in the world they're working in advertising marketing exactly straight up, and they're making your shampoo, yes.
Speaker 1: And they're calculating the best mouth feel for junk food, so you can't stop you. Yeah, that's or they're working in fucking you know, hedge funds and other markets and shit like that. I don't know if that's true anymore. It definitely was true ten years ago. I do feel like people have like been like fuck this at a certain point, So hopefully we stop with everybody just going into the worst possible industries. But yeah, it's hard to be mad at Snoop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like Snoop, especially in you know, the last ten years. Snoop doesn't do anything unless there's a check involved, and it doesn't really seem to matter, like where the check is coming from. Like he just likes to get paid, and he will pull up for paycheck, yeah, full stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you look at him here in his picture roasting his little marshmallow over his trash can, and he looks so happy and stoned.
Speaker 1: That's right, Like when.
Speaker 2: That wire hit the bank.
Speaker 1: Can we get the moment when the wire hit the bank account in this ad? All right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Perfect? Yeah, he also lights the marshmallow on fire, which will cause smoke. But that's other than that.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, you're gonna get a little I mean, but hey, you want a little carbonation on the marshmallow, Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 1: Another news story that kind of made me tired was this Bill Clinton fucking up the memorial statement for Rosalind Carter. Roslynd Carter, won half of the longest lived presidential couple in American history, died on Sunday, and she was ninety six. Jimmy Carter, who went into hospice almost a year ago, is still alive. But Bill Clinton like posted a statement He's like Rosalind Carter was the embodiment of a life lived with purpose. Mine Hillary's full statement, and then it was a jpeg of their statement for the passing of Dianne Feinstein. So his people just got two different dead elderly women confused uploaded the statement that had already been posted about Feinstein, was deleted obviously replaced with the correct statement. But like, I don't know, it's just one of those things that's like just imagining the machinations of the behind the scene of like all right, post the state, you know, he process.
Speaker 2: This is why This is why you don't let Bill manage his on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Right, I can't imagine it was, but like what it was even doing here? He has like a staff with various statements on deck for deaths of famous people, and it's.
Speaker 2: Just hasn't hasn't this happened before? I feel like this happened before, like maybe years ago, a year or two ago, like somebody died, and I feel like this is just a thing that politicians do, especially like when there's like you know, like a shooting or something. It's like they have these copy paste things. Just they have a folder of oh, here's the statement for a shooting. Here's a statement for when an old senator dies, here's yeah.
Speaker 1: It's just yeah there. I mean, news agencies for sure all have like obituaries for most famous people on deck. And then like I remember when I worked at ABC News when I was you know, right out of school. They I think the Pope, I think it was the Pope died and they you know, had one on deck, but like you had to like make sure that he was actually dead before you posted it. And you know, they have like an entire TV package on deck, and like sometimes they accidentally run it before somebody has died, and then people are like, wait a second, but yeah, I don't know the fact that also the Clintons have like these statements drafted for deaths, and it's just like such a dry, rote pointless exercise in like in humanity and for what, like are people sitting around waiting for Bill Clinton's thoughts on this?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe they obligations or and you know, the quorum are weird. Yeah, and they don't really make a whole lot of sense a lot of the time. Yeah, of like, yeah, we're not checking for you, but I mean, you gotta like you're part of this institution, so I get it that you gotta make a statement because you're a former president that's alive, I guess. But yeah, a little more effort maybe, right, Yeah, maybe yeah, maybe get the name right, putting.
Speaker 1: More staff on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe get the name right.
Speaker 1: That'll be funny if they reposted it. But it was just like control all control, f like for a place the exact same thing.
Speaker 2: Oh good, all right.
Speaker 1: SpaceX had their second starship tests launch kind of losing track. You know, I've seen footage of uh SpaceX starships that launch and land and successfully I guess these are these are the ones that are they're testing because they're going to make the Moon mission. So this is the second after the first one like blew up right after it took off, and they were like, yes, that is what we meant to do. They did like the rocketry equivalent of like tripping and breaking into a light jog to pretend like that's what you didn't trip and you meant to do that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: There. It's like there's a mandate that they're not allowed to have like failures or failure is part of the plan or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they they're meant to fail every time. So that another successful launch on over the weekend, because once again the ship blew up just minutes after launch, but it improved on the previous launch. Still ended in literal disaster.
Speaker 2: It improved on the previous launch by exploding.
Speaker 1: Later exactly that's exactly.
Speaker 2: Right, didn't explode immediately, So this is progress.
Speaker 1: It illustrated that they had fixed key issues from the last test. This person astro Geordy Jordan a blue check mark. You will be shocked to learn response to the Verge article being like you forgot to mention that everything that went wrong in the first test flight from a few months ago went right. Today we expect explosions and during these test flights, we are okay with them. SpaceX is making history no matter what, and they're doing incredible work.
Speaker 2: Now, Astro Jordy, first off, get off the nut sex. You don't even go here, like.
Speaker 1: That's what I So I looked it up. I was like, oh, that's such a weird and articulate statement from somebody who works for SpaceX.
Speaker 2: You know you have Astro in your name. I'm like, there's no way you work for sucking face X, sir.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay. According to his Twitter handle he or his Twitter bio, he's just a h what what's the what's the truck? The the cyber He's just a cyber truck fanboy.
Speaker 2: And uh oh you're a fan of this thing that doesn't exist. Okay, cool, and that that that gives you an opinion on literal rocket science.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but so the rocket of the booster separate. But I do love the invocation. You know, sports fans do this, so I'm not gonna be too hard on him. But it's the same energy this and we are on course. It's just like such, you are not going to the moon.
Speaker 2: Sir, you don't have.
Speaker 1: To take He is doing this specifically to leave you behind.
Speaker 2: He's like he's vying for like a test subject physician in one any of Elon's company. Hey, bro, you can put a chip in me. You can send me to the moon, you can send me on a rocket to the Sun. I don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So they were hoping for a water landing instead the booster separated, then exploded, and the starship actually reached space this time, and then they lost contact with a ship just minutes after launch, and apparently it exploded too after the automated flight termination system triggered. So that's like they have an automated like will self destruct in five seconds. But so people just kept referring to this as like, well, this is all about the cultural differences between SpaceX and traditional NASA engineering, because NASA like will always design things to perfection before testing them out, and SpaceX says their motto is build, test, break, repeat. I don't know, I think that's I don't I don't know enough about like these systems are like that.
Speaker 2: Well remember the Challenger disaster, right, So that was back when NASA got a little cavalier with their testing methodology right, and then a school teacher blew up along with like five or six other people. So yeah, after that, you know, it's like NASA was very They're all about their testing and then they're like, you know what, we got this. We've been to the moon a few times. We're good. Eighties came around, they had a disaster.
Speaker 1: Have you guys seen Apollo thirteen. I know it's not out yet, but like, we're NASA, We've seen it. That's we can't fuck up. We're invincible. And yeah, no, they knew that. That shit. Like there was a big panel of people who were in charge of like making the decision of whether or not to launch the Challenger, and a majority of them knew that what happened to the Challenger had a very good chance of happening ring.
Speaker 2: It was totally they they were they had a they had a fucking clue before it happened. Yeah, and yeah, that's that's what happens when you are cavalier with with safety in inhospitable environments and situations like going deep into the ocean to see the Titanic, or going into space, or lighting a massive explosion underneath you and sending it out to a tiny little butthole at the bottom of a rocket. Cool, like they like to move fast and break things. They're taking that tech ethos into a space, well part in the pun, into a space where I don't really think it belongs. But you know he's got he's got the capital and the clout and to do this sort of thing. And NASA's backing private industries going to space because they don't get enough funding to do it themselves exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's in fashion for us to be like the market will figure it out.
Speaker 2: Plus it's like, you know, if something goes wrong, you know, NASA doesn't have to take this scrutiny. Yeah a rocket blows up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, thank you for putting the you know, physics of rocketry into the terms of a digestive system where the rocket is just farting itself into space. That that was helpful for my purposes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, how do you how do you how do you fart fire without exploding yourself?
Speaker 1: I ask myself that every day. But also so like I can't identify I can't say whether it's like a good strategy, like whether they're identifying more potential flaws then NASA would be with its pencil neck math or whatever it does. But it does seem like it will be a little scarier to go up in one of these rockets once they've got it figured out. Like this is a private enterprise. If Delta Airlines method for introducing a new aircraft was to like blow a bunch of them up in highly public test plates before you boarded one a decade later, I feel like people would be like, I think I'm gonna like fly American or whatever. This scary. I'm scared now, But.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is this is how he does things. Is like, I mean you can you have to look at Tesla's to see it's like, yeah, you don't need like a fully working, viable product that does everything it says on the tin to sell a shit zillion of them. Yeah too, whoever the fuck is really vying for them, because it's like, yeah, that that car is not no matter how you feel about it, that car is not what was fucking promised, no at all. So yeah, I don't want to see the finished I don't want to be on the finished product.
Speaker 1: So don't tell that to astro Jordi. The problems with the cyber truck are exactly what we had in mind.
Speaker 2: And it's also like design stuff like you ever tried to get in a Tesla?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like the like the what the fuck is that?
Speaker 2: I'm like, Okay, this innovation didn't need to happen. You try and drive a Tesla, Like, what is that yoke where it's got like five hundred and forty degree rotation but you can only hold it on two sides? That doesn't make sense, like at all, the yoke. I'm not like those weird steering wheels.
Speaker 1: They have the steering wheels that don't have the They do the full.
Speaker 2: Steering wheel turn, but there's no top and bottom, so you have to awkwardly like and it's like you make the turning radius shorter if you have a yoke, or you put in a real steering wheel. You don't mix those things.
Speaker 1: It's the future. It feels like the future, And.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what's his what is like? What are the quality of life features gonna be in this fucking rocket? Like it is the rocket gonna have a steering wheel? Because that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're just like doing three point turns. Yeah yeah, So I don't know, we'll see I generally have a hard time believing that this philosophy of just like blowing massive amounts of metal and jet fuel up and pretending it's what you intended to do. And also like, because of the ties to NASA, pressure has been put on the FAA and the US Fish and Wildlife Service to just say that if these test launchers are okay, which they do despite incidents of flaming debris landing in public wildlife preserves, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's just like, oh my god. Yeah, it's like they've already like Floyd has already given him a free pass. Basically, they've already set it up that when one of these you know, second stage rockets lands on someone's fucking condo, that he will not have to answer for it.
Speaker 1: They'll just drop a glass dome over it. I feel like that's that's where it will happen, meant that. Yeah, And actually we're cutting all these people off not for to kill them and replace them, but because we want to study them because it's helpful to future launches. All Right, those are some of the things that we're trending over the weekend that are trending this Monday morning. We are back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow. Fighte bye.