Speaker 1: Welcome back to the show, fellow conspiracy realist. This is the week of an infamous anniversary in United States history, and that's why we're bringing you not only this classic, but another conversation with JFK expert Rob Ryder, who's done a couple of other things as well, a few so with this classic. You know, we've been looking at the JFK assassination for quite some time. It's part of modern American folklore, and with that, it's it's not surprising that there would be modern myths and legends built up around just this family.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Well, there have been so many deaths that just appear to be horrible accidents, right, But when you look at them all in order. Let's say, if you looked at all of the Kennedy families who've died in plane crashes, for instance, it all begins to or it seems like maybe a pattern.
Speaker 1: And how much of that is us searching for patterns or seeing those that don't exist, versus there being some sand to the so called Kennedy curse.
Speaker 3: Let's jump right into it.
Speaker 4: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noah.
Speaker 3: They call me Ben.
Speaker 1: We are joined with our super producer, Paul cape Cod Dectt.
Speaker 3: Most importantly, you are you.
Speaker 1: You are here, and that makes this stuff they don't want you to know. A Wicked Had episode, I should say, pack the cat, have it yad, Yes, Wicked Had Yes, just so, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's how you do it the only way.
Speaker 1: We might run into a few of those accents in today's show. So, by the way, at the top of the show, go ahead and give us a call at one eight three three st d w y t K as you listen along and let us hear your craziest uh Northeastern accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love to hear, especially if you're not from there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, which we are not.
Speaker 5: By the way, chicking in the cay the guy won't go. It's different but similar.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there's also the pet cemetery main accents of my favorite you know you burry you out, I'll go into the road loss Hey said, I was a no I used to.
Speaker 5: Sometimes that is better.
Speaker 3: It was a knight, just like this.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna agree with you again.
Speaker 5: Mom, Matt, you got this.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 5: Give us fun.
Speaker 3: You know you're not.
Speaker 5: You're not gonna grace us with your golden voice.
Speaker 3: It'll come with all right, that's fine, right, okay?
Speaker 1: Uh, why are we talking about Northeastern accents? Why are we talking about Massachusetts in particular? We're so glad you asked, because we are attempting to add a little bit of levity. What is going to be a story riddled with tragedy, lousey, with disaster, replete, and overflowing with untimely death. Today we are talking about the Kennedy family, one of the most influential political dynasties in recent US history. They're on the level of the Roosevelts or the Tats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're the American political dynasty, I would say, rather than other than the Bushes perhaps, and maybe the.
Speaker 1: Clintons, and maybe the Clintons. The people would also often cite the years of the JFK presidency as the Camelot time, right, and they romanticize it.
Speaker 5: Did you guys say? There was a meme floating around.
Speaker 6: It was an image of Bill Clinton kind of peeking out from behind these bronze sculptures of George and Barbara Bush and the caption was Clinton hiding in the bushes.
Speaker 3: I have not seen that one.
Speaker 5: Nope, it's cute.
Speaker 1: Well, according to some, despite their tremendous success in the world of pr right in public diplomacy, the Kennedy family has.
Speaker 3: A dark side. That's also not a debate.
Speaker 1: But today's question is it's the Kennedy Family cursed. I don't know if many people have heard about this, Matt. I think you brought this one to us originally, right.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, just because I've heard I've heard of it. Maybe I'm not sure. We perhaps were discussing JFK in an episode.
Speaker 3: I think it came up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Okay, Well, here are the facts. We've covered a lot of things related to the Kennedy family before, Like you said, with JFK RFK, we have that at least videos on that. We've also dove in poor choice of words to the chap Equittic incident. Yeah, let's just keep it.
Speaker 5: Let's just come on man own it.
Speaker 1: And we had a fantastic interview with the writers of chap Equittic. But this stuff all comes into play. This is a an overall look at these tragedies. But first we have to learn about who the Kennedys are, which I don't think we've ever done on this show. The Kennedy family origin, and let's do their early timeline. Surprise, surprise, they come from Ireland. Yeah, in case they didn't already get that across.
Speaker 6: Now, and this is a shot here, but do you think early Kennedy influence stemmed from those political machines that raised up Irish immigrants to positions of prominence.
Speaker 1: It's it's an interesting question, and I would I would say definitely, because you know, we hear a lot about Tammany Hall and New York, but Boston was not very different.
Speaker 5: I had their own I'm sure. I don't know what it's called.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, well, well let's starting in Ireland. There's a guy named Brian Kennedy. As you could tell, this is close to his heart, and he says the origins of the family can be traced to a clan called which I will mispronounce because I don't speak Gaelic. Oh, and you know I went to Ireland recently. All the signs are in Gaelic and English.
Speaker 6: Which is a script of its own right. Almost like Cyrillic or like the Russian alphabet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 1: I was trying to learn Gaelic just while I was there, to say cool phrases, but no one cared.
Speaker 3: Everyone spoke English.
Speaker 1: I saw one television channel I think was like a public education thing with these people speaking Gaelic.
Speaker 3: That sounded really cool.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, interesting.
Speaker 1: We've just been alerted by our super producer Paul that most people in Ireland do not, in fact call it Gaelic. They call it Irish. Irish, you speak Irish. Well, that was a long intro to something that I am about to mispronounce. Their family clan was osiniad Fione, which was one of three clans ruled a kingdom named or Mooned, and they resided in what is today Pecaine, County Tipperary in fifteen forty six, but they lost their social status in the New English Order in the Kingdom of Ireland and they had to move. They ended up in Donganstown, New Ross, County Wexford by seventeen forty and that is where a fellow named Patrick Kennedy is born in eighteen twenty three. Patrick cam Bridget Murphy are the first Kennedys to live in the US. Patrick worked as a cooper, which means he made barrels.
Speaker 2: Nice. That's a good thing. Make you need a lot of those in eighteen hundreds, especially.
Speaker 1: If you're going to get into bootlegging down the line spoilers. They have five kids, Patrick and Bridget, and one of these Patrick Joseph Kennedy or PJ to his buddies, which for some reason, I just love that as a nickname. He became a legitimate businessman.
Speaker 2: And a legitimate businessman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and served in the state legislature. This makes him the first Kennedy politician here in the States. He's also the paternal grandfather of President JFK, one of Pj's kids.
Speaker 3: Guy, And it gets confusing here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's Patrick Joseph Kennedy and then he's got a kid named Joseph Patrick Kennedy.
Speaker 3: It's also known as Joe.
Speaker 2: So there's PJ and Joe.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they like that j and JP ye. I don't know if they got charged extra at the hospital for using new names and they just continually had to trade these out. But yeah, Joe was born in eighteen eighty eight and he is the one who became instrumental in the family's political and financial rise.
Speaker 3: And he was kind of a shady cat.
Speaker 5: Yeah he was.
Speaker 2: Let's say, he was known to associate with certain elements of the underworld.
Speaker 5: Elements I'm sorry, are you using hyperbole here?
Speaker 2: And also the mob, oh yeah, gangsters, yeah, the Irish Italians, some of the he had some friends in some places well.
Speaker 6: And again with the whole political machine thing that was an early version of like the mob, not an early version, but operated very similarly, make getting collections and influencing votes and you know, state events.
Speaker 1: Yeah, intimidating rival politicians. Even so, he is a character, fraud with mystery and could be an episode of his own. Not the nicest man. He was a controversial figure in Boston because, despite the fact that he made a ton of money through what he claims were legitimate means, in high society in Boston, money alone cannot pave your path to acceptance. It doesn't matter how much money you have, if you earned it in the last few generations, you're a peasant.
Speaker 5: It's gotta be old money, yeah, old old money.
Speaker 1: And he wanted to buy his way into this society to gain the acceptance but it was tough because when big rumors about him, even though he always say he was a legitimate businessman, one of the big rumors about him for decades that persist even today is that he was intimately involved with bootlegging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we can recommend a book called The Patriarch, The Remarkable Life and Turbulent Times of Joseph P. Kennedy if you want to learn a lot more about him, right right.
Speaker 1: And he went on to work as a US ambassador to London, which started to gain him entrance into the upper echelons of the political class. And it's there that he continued to make some hard decisions. He got kind of house of cards with it, didn't he. But we'll get into that his time over the pond in a little bit. For now, maybe we can talk about some of the notable individuals of the Kennedy Klan.
Speaker 5: First we have JFK.
Speaker 6: John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the thirty fifth President of these fair United States. Then we have his are there, Ted Kennedy, a Senator from Massachusetts, and I believe, guys, the long one of the longest standing senators my history of the office.
Speaker 2: Known as the Lion of the Senate, the Lion.
Speaker 6: Then we have Robert Bobby right Kennedy, Yes, who is Attorney General and later a senator from New York.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: And these are just the top three, right, We've got there's several other Kennedy's that are influential in business and that are influential to one degree or another in politics. The family overall has amassed a cartoonishly large fortune at this point. It's estimated to be five hundred million dollars if we're talking net worth. But that's just what's on the books, and there's some pretty compelling evidence that, you know, when you're at that level, there's pretty compelling evidence that they have the means to not be entirely transparent.
Speaker 5: To like offshore accounts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, offshore accounts maybe things that wouldn't be recognized in terms of assets or things that are you know, properties in other countries where reporting laws.
Speaker 2: Are a little looser, a little different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like the accusations of the Bush family years back buying all that land in Paraguay.
Speaker 3: Right, do you remember that one?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I remember that. That one disappeared from the news too.
Speaker 6: Weird when that happens, you gotta wonder, I know, their machinations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, does it mean they were just wrong?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or what you know, because one thing that we don't see a lot of nowadays is any attention paid to retractions in the news, right, because nobody came out and said, no, that never happened. The Paraguay thing, it just disappeared.
Speaker 5: We just if we don't talk about it anymore, it never happened.
Speaker 1: Like at the Pentagon where they say we don't lie, the truth just changes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that's a real like they actually say lead. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you'll probably notice, fellow conspiracy realist, that at this point we have not mentioned anything particularly tragic, just the story of one's family's rise to the political elite of the US. But what if there is more to this tale? Could the Kennedy family in fact be cursed?
Speaker 2: We'll find out right after a quick word from our sponsor.
Speaker 3: Years where it gets crazy. So how did this curse begin?
Speaker 6: If it's a curse, you just did two handed quotation fingers large. But yeah, but it's hard to argue with the level of seeming cursedness that we're about to delve into.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a there's a guy named Edward Kleine who is billed as a political researcher, and he says that he thinks this curse has haunted the Kennedy family for one hundred and fifty years, but there's no uh no, one really agrees on what events started it or how a curse is defined.
Speaker 6: Well, a curse is what happened when a witch will, let's have fingers at you and says, I curss thee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could be anybody if you know the evil eyes. That's true, I'm doing the evil.
Speaker 3: Double.
Speaker 2: Let's say, okay, let's put it this way. A lot of it's interesting that Klein puts it at one hundred and fifty years because most everything seems to stem back to the offspring of Joe Kennedy, not the grandfather, but the father of Robert and JFK. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And a lot of times with a curse, the folklore of a curse, the history of curses, you curse a person in their bloodline essentially, right, so descendants from that curse, well, I mean, yeah, a lot.
Speaker 5: Of times a pox upon your house.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting that they put one hundred and fifty years because I wouldn't I wouldn't go back exactly that far. If I was the one saying, hey, this family looks cursed, I would probably put it on Joe rather than on Patrick Joseph Kennedy, just because it's mostly his kids in their offspring that are really getting the bad end of the.
Speaker 3: Stick, the fuzzy side of the lollipop.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as our old mentor used to say, Yeah, that's a really good point. So when we're talking about Joseph himself, let's go back to what he actually did across the pond that would later become controversial.
Speaker 2: So we mentioned before that he was he became an ambassador to England while he is working in his political career. Then you know, World War Two happened, and in the run up to World War two, as the Nazi Party begins taking over, there's a lot of debate in England as to, you know, how do we deal with this threat with these people that are threatening us, They're threatening all of our neighbors. They're doing unspeakable, horrible things. We're going to try and cut them off from a monetary perspective as much as we can, you know, by not buying and selling goods to them. Anyway, there are a lot of ideas that are floated around, and there are some people in high society in England who disagree completely. So we've got on one side. You've got let's go through this, Ben, We've got Neville Chamberlain who Nazi appeasement is what it's kind of referred to as right, but it's more of let's not necessarily give them everything they want, but let's try and work with them to a point where they're not gonna bomb the absolute crap out of us and just overthrow our government.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the idea being that maybe not entirely capitulating giving a few things to Nazi Germany at the time, would I guess stable eyes the country or sort of mitigate the aggression and also put them on a footing where the Western Powers were saying to Germany, we understand that you guys got pretty screwed after World War One.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we see that you've got issues.
Speaker 1: We're sorry that you feel like you need an apology.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Do you get a sense though this wasn't entirely with evil intent, I mean it was, you know, it was, it was. It was one way of behaving to try to get things done right.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a philosophy on how to handle a very tough situation, because on the other end, when you've got military leaders who are saying no, we have we absolutely have to fight them on the beaches. We had to fight them everywhere. We got to say no, you bastards, get back.
Speaker 3: Can we play that? You play the let's Paul? Can we play the Churchill.
Speaker 8: Quote from Seats and Oceans. We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island, whatever the couch may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields and in the streaks. We shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender.
Speaker 2: That really was Gary Oldman's finest role is finest time.
Speaker 9: I mean he deserved the darkest I remember when we had we had an ad read for that ship, and we had to redo it because we said the darkest hour.
Speaker 5: It was actually just the darkest hour, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we hope you enjoyed that ad reading. And it is a good film. I'll give him that. I really think that guy's a great actor. But as much as I like Gary Oldman, my one of my favorite historical figures at this day, at this point in time in the story is rip, roar and drunk. Look in Winston Churchill, that guy was insane. He like he helped win World War two and I don't know if he woke up remembering it most mornings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just oh no, you're right, man.
Speaker 6: He definitely seemed sast almost any time he was on mic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you know what that's it's like, what is it?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 6: Hemingway says, you're not really a man until you're drunk, being like you're not your best self. Not to encourage the listeners here to just live life drunk, but there's something to be said in that when you see these people that are just like so in the zone through utter drunkenness.
Speaker 3: It was to.
Speaker 1: Behold, it was probably a you know, there's state dependent learning. They had normalized at that point, so they may not have been able. It's really sad to say they may not have been able to function.
Speaker 6: So same with those ad men, you know, like oh yeah, just the culture of like pitching these ideas while taking your nine a m glass of whiskey.
Speaker 1: You know what kind assass A frast fancy boy is too good for Martini at en right, Okay, So this so Winston Churchill said we have to go to war. Appeasement will not work. And you know, his side was right, but that is not the side that Joe was on.
Speaker 2: That's correct, and and so a lot of people think that perhaps some well actually Wilisia's go into this. He was maligned, like he was viewed in a very negative light, especially in the United States after this came out, that he was they you know, he was called the Nazi sympathizer.
Speaker 5: He was on the wrong side of history. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And again, like it's tough to say back then, like maybe he truly believed that this was a way to get out of it in a better way than just I mean, we're talking about scores of people, you know, British citizens who died as a result of the World War two and the Nazis. But at the time it was just a terrible thing, a terrible thing to do in the aftermath of World War Two. And then he had political aspirations in the US and ultimately those were just dashing against the wall because everybody looked at him in that light.
Speaker 5: Well it's rough too.
Speaker 6: Considering the outcome, he definitely comes off as like taking the moral low ground, you know.
Speaker 5: When you really knowing what we know or what you knew even just a little bit later, even like you know, toying with that.
Speaker 3: Notion was a bad look. They also had.
Speaker 1: There are indications that he had personal prejudice involved. As far as anti Semitism, well.
Speaker 2: There are their indications, and it is tough because a lot of it ends up being not rumor but a little more hearsay than you know, an actual thing you can prove.
Speaker 1: There's correspondence between some of the Kennedy family from Kennedy and Joe Junior in nineteen thirty four in which the son calls the Nazis dislike of Jewish people quote well founded, and the dad is saying, I'm very pleased and gratified at your observations of the German city situation.
Speaker 2: Geez, okay, that's worse than I understood.
Speaker 3: So could that have been How is that related to this curse?
Speaker 2: Well, the thought is, perhaps, you know, that's pre a lot of the cursing that's happening. I think nineteen forty four is the first one that we've like clocked later on in our timeline as to the first part of the curse. So it would make sense if there was a curse applied around this time, like beginning to middle of World War.
Speaker 1: Two, I as seem and that that kind of verges on a spiritual aspect.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure, well, well that's this is another theory that I've seen online, is that perhaps because of the way that Joe Kennedy amassed his fortune. You know, even though he says, oh, you know, I'm a businessman, just like his grandma, his father said, I'm a businessman, perhaps there was some ill gotten gains there, maybe a family that was you know, taken advantage of, or someone got hurt. So basically, either we've got in some of the theories that have been put forth, either he's been cursed in some way because of his involvement with World War two, in the Nazis, or with some other group that he wronged in amassing his fortune. Okay, that's what I have seen online.
Speaker 3: I like that, you say group. I like the idea of some.
Speaker 1: Real world interest pursuing someone. So you can already see some of the issues here, folks.
Speaker 3: There's no.
Speaker 1: Universally agreed on theory on what could have happened or triggered a curse. There are several compelling guesses. As you said, Matt, the most compelling timelines do seem to trace it to Joe Kennedy, absolutely, but most use of the term curse just centers on describing this strange collection of tragic events that appear to bedevil this family much more so than the average Jane and John Doe Smith Nuyan.
Speaker 5: Nuian.
Speaker 3: It's twenty eighteen. It's American.
Speaker 6: Man, that's a fun one. I never knew how to pronounce that until about twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, is it hyphenated Smith Nugan, I.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm picking a generic, average American family.
Speaker 6: So it's crazy, though, you guys, when you see these stacked up like in a list, it's a lot.
Speaker 3: It's a lot.
Speaker 2: But also remember there are a lot of Kennedy's, that's true, and associated Kennedy's.
Speaker 5: That's true. And then times were volatile.
Speaker 1: And there are people who are Kennedy adjacent sort of the way, like Redman is always hanging out with Wu Tang, but is not himself in Wu Tang.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are okay?
Speaker 1: So, like, what are some examples of the curses I think are examples of the curse itself.
Speaker 2: Well, ultimately, there are a lot of deaths that we would consider to be untimely. Sure early deaths, every death is earlier than it should be, right or airplane accidents. That's a whole category that we can kind of put in here, because the Kennedys fly a lot. Most some of the most affluent people do fly the most because you can afford it, or perhaps you have your pilot's license, and in this case, the Kennedys did fly a whole lot. The first though, the first person who was killed in an aircraft accident was actually serving his country when when he was killed he was not a private pilot at the time. On August twelfth, nineteen forty four. Joseph Kennedy Junior. This is the older brother of JFK. He was killed in an aircraft explosion when he was serving during the Second World War. So nineteen forty four, Joseph Kennedy Junior.
Speaker 6: Okay, So, then in nineteen forty eight May thirteen, we have Kathleen Cavendish, who is JFK's sister and also the wife of the Marquis of Hartington.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what is that?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 6: Yes, the Barque of Hartington make some kind of weird like like Connecticut local government position.
Speaker 2: Let's do a Google search.
Speaker 1: What's Yeah, it's a landed title in the UK. So what a lot of what a lot of political dynasties do to get around what they sell to you as a voter if you're in the US. What a lot of them do to get the aristocratic heights that they want as they marry into aristocratic families. So when it's voting season, they can still put on some I'll say it, they can still put on a pair of bullshit overalls in a baseball cap and act like they have remotely anything to do with ordinary people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like a duke.
Speaker 2: An earl, duke over heydude.
Speaker 5: That's funny anyway.
Speaker 6: So we've got Kathleen Cavendish, the apparent husband to the Marquis of Hartington.
Speaker 5: She dies in a plane crash in France.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep.
Speaker 1: And there's another plane crash in June nineteenth of nineteen sixty four. Ted Kennedy is in this plane crash, and he and a senator named Birch Bob both survive with some pretty pretty grizzly injuries.
Speaker 5: And the Reaper is gunning for this fellow.
Speaker 1: One of Kennedy's aides dies in the crash, and the pilot of the plane also dies. I have a quick question with this. It seems like a ton of plane crashes. But to your earlier point, Matt, they were flying more than average. And also I'm wondering if plane technology, if aviation safety technology was just not where it is now.
Speaker 5: I'm certain they must be the cave well.
Speaker 2: And they're also in small private Yeah, I mean, if there's just a higher risk with those with those aircraft.
Speaker 5: No Kennedy will fly commercial unheard of.
Speaker 1: In sixty nine there is the infamous chap Equitic incident where Mary Joe Kopecni dies, is abandoned to drown by Ted Kennedy, who survives and somehow retains a political career. But that is commonly considered to be the nail in the coffin of his presidential ambitions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again, somehow.
Speaker 3: I would say, rightly, so, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Then you're right, somehow ended up being one of the most beloved senators out there.
Speaker 1: Somehow, soon we forget, so what else we have, because this isn't all of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, is it?
Speaker 2: No? No, we're still going through all this. Okay, nineteen ninety seven, you have Michael L. Kennedy. He's one of Robert Robert Kennedy's children. He dies in a skiing accident of all things, out in Colorado, and apparently there was this Kennedy tradition of doing downhill skiing while playing American football.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's this weird thing where they would split up the like if you're looking the whole slope, they would split the slope up into varying fields. So like when you're in this section, you're in one field and you can score, then you're in this section you can score in this field, and it just kind of goes down, down, down, down.
Speaker 5: So what you're saying, mad is that he was asking for it.
Speaker 2: No geez no, no.
Speaker 5: Okay, alright, I misunderstood your meaning.
Speaker 2: I will. I will say that some onlookers who would view the this Kennedy tradition of playing this game thought it was extremely dangerous.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. It sounds it sounds really dumb. Michael lemoy and Kennedy, why are you doing this name?
Speaker 2: Okay, so much to live for? Well, the strange thing is that you get rid of your polls, because you need your hands to catch the football and to throw it. Yeah, and you're just going down these big slopes and you're looking behind you sometimes to throw the ball, looking ahead of you throw the ball. And yeah, he unfortunately hit a tree.
Speaker 3: In thirty nine, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to come through his injuries that way.
Speaker 3: Thirty nine years old.
Speaker 1: And then there's another aircraft incident, I believe.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, yes, this is John F. Kennedy Junior.
Speaker 3: Yes, his parents probably called him.
Speaker 1: They're probably just screamed Junior at him, Junia Junior, study wicked hot.
Speaker 2: Yes, so John F. Kennedy's son, the junior. He was on his way to Martha's vineyard up there in Cape Cod again, flying a light plane, like a small plane, and he crashed after he got a little disoriented. I guess while he was in flight. He was flying at night, which is you know, a little dangerous because if your instruments go bad, it's it's pretty rough out there. He ended up crashing in the ocean and he died there.
Speaker 6: Yes, it seems like these Kennedy's were risk takers.
Speaker 5: True.
Speaker 1: True, there's more to the story too, because this is just scratching the surface I'm sure you can figure out what we're going to dive into next, but see if you're correct or not.
Speaker 3: After this brick.
Speaker 1: We have returned, and we must also acknowledge the most widely known, untimely deaths in the Kennedy line. Those are the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in November twenty second, nineteen sixty three. As he rides through Dallas, Texas.
Speaker 6: Lee Harvey Oswald, who we later discover was his assassin, is gunned down at a police station two days later, and this created, as we on this show in this community very well know, widespread conspiracies about the president's death.
Speaker 5: You know, was there more than one shooter? Was he taken out by the government.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's too long days, the mob, the Russians, it just goes on.
Speaker 3: Yes, and his brother Robert F. Kennedy.
Speaker 1: Look, it doesn't matter if you consider yourself a fan of the Kennedys or not. They were super into nepotism, and nepotism is poisonous for the type of government that we are.
Speaker 3: Supposed to have.
Speaker 1: I just have to put that in there. I know that these people pasted. I know these assassinations were unjust, but it's doing everyone at disservice if we ignore the fact that nepotism is a very, very bad thing.
Speaker 5: You feel very strongly about this, Ben, You've mentioned it before.
Speaker 1: Them, absolutely, and I will continue mentioning it until somebody with a problem gets their brother or their cousin in office and shuts down our show because it matters that much.
Speaker 3: I hope I'm not poking the bear too much here, guys.
Speaker 1: But regardless, I'm not saying that they're I'm not saying that they are inherently bad.
Speaker 3: Roberto Robert F.
Speaker 1: Kennedy is the Attorney General, right, so he's holding one of the highest offices in the land legally speaking, while his brother is arguably holding one of the highest offices in the world.
Speaker 5: This is weird.
Speaker 3: That's weird.
Speaker 5: Now, this is the whole thing. Yeah, and then he gets he gets a bullet too. He gets an assassin's bullet too, right, I mean.
Speaker 6: Assassinations in US politics.
Speaker 5: I don't see them as being wide rife in this.
Speaker 2: They're relatively rare.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so he is.
Speaker 1: He's thirty eight years old, and he is calling for further investigations into the JFK assassination because he believes there's more to the story. Like the majority of Americans in the wake of the JFK assassination, he thinks someone is lying, and on June sixth, nineteen sixty eight, he is assassinated after winning the California Democratic primary. The gunman sir Han. Sir Han is alive now as we record.
Speaker 6: This isn't this the one where he was supposedly some kind of Manchurian candidate.
Speaker 1: He has at least maintained that he has no memory of this, that he was programmed somehow, and they're also He also argues that forensic evidence and eyewitness reports of the shooting back up his story that he was not the fatal shooter.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating if you started digging into it. I don't remember if we've done a huge thing on here and here here and did something. I know we talked about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it may have been.
Speaker 6: Like a like a Hodgepodge kind of episode, but I definitely remember talking about this sleeper agent kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is frightening. And the big question is can you pull it off? How how much it's I guess it's more a degree of compulsion it's not can we make people do things that would not ordinarily do without their own knowledge of their actions. That's how advertising works. The question is how far can we push it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 5: Can I take it? Just to quick aside?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 6: In service of this story, Have you guys seen the latest Darren Brown.
Speaker 5: Special on that miracle Miracle?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And you guys, if you don't who Darren Brown is, he is what is deemed a mentalist. He is an expert at everything from hypnosis to some more kind of sketchy pseudosciencey things he's accused of doing. There's a neuro linguistic programming I think is one of them. And he is a master of implanting ideas into his subjects' heads. And he is very good at picking out who will be most susceptible too said implanted ideas, And when you see him do his thing, it's hard to like poo poo it, And it really does make me think, like what you were saying, Ben, how far could you push that if you weren't just a showman trying to make a cool Netflix special.
Speaker 3: I have followed that guy for years.
Speaker 5: Same I think.
Speaker 3: Longtime listeners have heard us mention some of his cooler tricks.
Speaker 6: It's weird that all of a sudden, though, he's getting Netflix specials and he's been around for twenty years.
Speaker 1: You think it's us, you guys hope so, I'd like to think so, But for our purposes, I think the fantastic players. There's so many questions that remain about these assassinations. We got pretty oustiously optimistic earlier this year when some formally classified statements about the JFK assassination were due to be released, but not much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, came out of it.
Speaker 3: It wasn't much in there got.
Speaker 1: A black ink yeah, yeah, like that old Onion article where the CIA says they found out they've been using black highlighters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for the past few decades.
Speaker 1: So these are the two most popular ones. But there are other stories that get ignored, And we would be remiss if we did not point out a story, a tragedy in the Kennedy family that for decades was just not talked about, not just not talked about by the Kennedys themselves, but not talked about by their support staff, the various I guess people that they bound to obey them or however you would describe that relationship and they the president talked about it either. And that is Rosemary Kennedy, who was one of the daughters of Rose Kennedy and daughter of Joe Kennedy. She was arguably intellectually disabled in a family with very high standards, and her father scheduled a lobotomy for her, of course without her consent, a catastrophic operation that left her with the mental capacity of a toffler.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, when she was twenty three.
Speaker 10: This was forty one and nineteen forty one, so this predates all the other stuff. So there's also some rumors out there that maybe again you kind of got to go out on a limb for this stuff, but maybe somehow she's taken revenge on her family.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, such a barbaric thing to do to someone. And you know, it was just such a blind shot in the dark. You know's nothing backing it up. What would they have said was a reason that this would be a good thing to do.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, she was assertive and she was rebellious as she was getting older. Oh so like she was endangering the Kennedy name. Essentially she had ideas, Yeah, seriously.
Speaker 1: So this and didn't perhaps have the sense of nuanced diplomacy and brand building that these folks were doing on their way to becoming your next American empire. So the way it was most likely sold was this will make her more amenable and docile. That's the way people handle the botomies. Oh my god, it'll help them be calm forever.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Spoiler alert for one flow over the cuckoo's nest like that time and one flew over the cuckoo's nest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go. Oh man, that's such a great book.
Speaker 2: By the way that I think, I think this is the best horror movie version of the Kennedy Curse is that they do this horrible thing to their one child, and it's kept a secret, and she's actually somehow taking.
Speaker 6: Especially the one child being somewhat precocious and willful. I guess right, and you know, and then I'm gonna shut you down. You didn't think I was good enough to be part of your you know, family line? Well, here we go.
Speaker 1: That's a very compelling. Oh yeah, that's a very compelling story that I have to ask you, guys and everyone listening, do you all believe in something like karma? Do you think it's a possibility.
Speaker 6: I don't know it's I think it's a name we give for something very ephemeral and indescribable. I said to someone the other day. God is the name we give for improbable happenstance, you know what I mean, where Like things just line up in a certain way, things work out, and you call it God or something. That's just I see this very similarly. It's the opposite, though, things align in a very horrible way over a long period of time, a dark coincidence, right.
Speaker 1: I don't know if bad things happen to people who deserve them. I think often people who are not constrained by things like empathy or the human race being viewed as a team sport. Yeah, I think they go around doing terrible things without foreseeable or predictable consequences.
Speaker 6: Because they just steamroller anyone that's in their way and they have no scruples.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you hear the kids. That's how you get ahead in life. You don't be nice, You become a steamroller, and then you hit go and that's it done.
Speaker 1: Until until the good, the good guys who do exist find you and stop you.
Speaker 2: It's just I don't know, Well, it's hard to stop a steamroll. The only way you can really stop a steamroller is if you've got a hill, then you're good.
Speaker 5: That's good man. Or with a bigger steamroller.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like a giant zamboni. I know they're not steam rollers.
Speaker 2: It's all good.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to say, zamboni. Have you seen they are fantastic inventions.
Speaker 5: Makes me think of a magician.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, uh me zamboni.
Speaker 5: Right, that's the ice you got, great zamboni.
Speaker 1: You know. So, Also, to be fair to the controversial figure of Joe Kennedy, it is completely possible that they legitimately thought this would help, that they wouldn't be crippling their daughter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you have a doctor telling you this is a little help, per No.
Speaker 6: I know even today we we we just we take the doctor's word at face value. Even with that, when it comes to our own health, it's so easy to just like, well, this is you're you're the expert.
Speaker 2: This company is paying me to tell you that this drug is awesome for what you got.
Speaker 6: Did you see that thing where an artist put a giant sculpture of a heroin spoon outside of that company that makes all the opioids?
Speaker 5: Whoa he got.
Speaker 6: Arrested for like impeding a thoroughfare. It's like a really ridiculous clause. That's the company's name now I can't remember. It's not bear It. It was the Purdue, the Purdue family pharmaceutical company.
Speaker 2: Not the chicken.
Speaker 1: Not the chicken. No, not to malign the chicken produce. They are unrelated to the opiate produce. But that you know, what's a great point about that, is there a lot of people with the last named Kennedy who are not themselves related.
Speaker 3: To these Kennedys. Yes, so we should we should point that out. We should also ask.
Speaker 1: Is this a true curse or is this just a murky set of terrible, indefensible coincidences. Skeptics argue that what appears to be a curse is more likely just cherry picking. We're only finding notably tragic events from this huge family, and that it's also not improbable or even unlikely for a similar large family to have similar disasters, regardless of their social standing. So if we just expand our sample size large enough from that Smith New Yen example or whatever, and will eventually be able to find someone who is in a playing crash, someone who got a very specific type of cancer.
Speaker 6: It's the same even when you start tracing people's lineages, and at the end of the day, everyone's related to everyone, right, Yeah, you get a long enough timeline, big enough sample size, stuff happens, right.
Speaker 5: But you guys, I'm just gonna ask you, Matt, curses.
Speaker 2: Do I believe in them?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, that's tough, because if you don't believe in curses, you better believe you're getting cursed. But no, I don't really believe in curses. But that's just because I guess my life has been pretty good so far, so you know, yeah, what about You.
Speaker 5: Know, there's compelling stuff out there. I'm always a little bit of a.
Speaker 6: Fence sitter when it comes to this kind of stuff, But I don't know, sometimes I feel pulled.
Speaker 5: In one way or the other depending on what I'm looking at, you know what I mean. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I try not to have a hard fast no to anything. I try to be open curses, no, just in general.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm definitely skeptical about a lot of things, but I am always open to being convinced otherwise. And when you look at this stuff just stacked up the way we looked at it sums up, Well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Here's the deal, do you? What do you think? Ben?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, okay, so I am full disclosure.
Speaker 1: I should say that various parts of my family do completely believe in this, for various reasons that we will not get into. But Ted Kennedy himself seemed to believe that there was a curse afoot. He publicly mentioned the phrase in nineteen sixty nine when he was testifying about that time that he abandoned and drowned Mary Joe Kopecney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that curse that, you know, befell him as he escaped.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I gotta be really tough for him to again his cushy job right to again leave a woman in a car to die of asphyxiation just for taking and ride with him.
Speaker 3: That's what he did.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that he didn't do good legislation, but he also again abandoned some what left of a car to die, basically got away with murder and got away with Yeah. So let's let's just play the clip. You can hear him say it's a curse.
Speaker 7: Whether some awful curse did actually hang over all the Kennedys whether there was some justifiable reason for me to doubt what had happened and to delay my report.
Speaker 1: And to your question, no, there's another factor here, and it's one that doesn't often get seriously considered in the mass media because when we call something a curse, we're conjuring these images, right of this, this nefarious warlock, a sorcerer, a witch, the evil eye, a pox on your house, and all this highly dramatic fictional stuff. Yeah, grim was I have newt right, secret, secret arcane markings in the house where you can't see, right, written.
Speaker 6: In blood, written in blood, Grandma's You ever been cursed by a grandma? That's pretty that's the worst kind of curse.
Speaker 3: A grandmother curse.
Speaker 1: The worst kind of curse in the first is the words of a grandmother.
Speaker 3: Right, so.
Speaker 2: Hold the horses, she's heading for the buckwheat. That's not my grandmother cursed.
Speaker 1: But there there can be something foul afoot the functions like a curse without it necessarily being supernatural. One of these could be. One example of this would be a blood feud. So if, for instance, and I will not use us as examples because I don't want to jinx us, right, that's just another version that's like like a low level curse.
Speaker 3: I want to jinx us.
Speaker 1: So let's say that's when you curse yourself by accident or whomever said I hated that game.
Speaker 3: When people we say the same thing. Yeah, I was trying to let people.
Speaker 2: Will says it's a conspiracy by the Coca Cola company to get you to buy other people cokes. Just so you know that.
Speaker 5: Oh that's right, it's one, two, three four you owe me a coke? Like what, Yeah, that's a big thing.
Speaker 2: You have to buy coke for a really yeah, conspiracy.
Speaker 1: So there can be a vendetta in curse form that functions like a curse but doesn't have supernatural stuff. It just has a group of people who have agreed to carry out actively, right.
Speaker 5: Just tormenting members of another.
Speaker 6: Like hat Fields and McCoy's or something like that, or you know, poisonings, political assassinations, you know, crimes of that level.
Speaker 3: Too, right, right, right, exactly.
Speaker 6: And when you're a big giant political dynasty like the Kennedy's, right, you're a target, man, you got a you're a moving target.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I'm thinking because the primary examples for people who believe there is a curse in something that operates like it would be the allegations of the assassination of RFK being related to his investigation of his brother's assassination.
Speaker 3: That for people who believe they are related, and.
Speaker 1: I'm one, I rarely stayed my personal opinion on the show. But too much stuff, too much stuff adds.
Speaker 5: You really brought it full circle.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: That's really interesting.
Speaker 6: It's a really good point you make that this, you know, curse is another name for a phenomenon that you can't fully explain. But when you really start to look at this situation, it really starts to feel more like they just had a lot of enemies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, they definitely had quite a few conflicts. I don't think you can get it at that level without it. But whether you want to call it a curse, the result of being above the law for generations or just playing bad luck, the Kennedy family remains beset by problems in the modern day. That is correct, folks. The tragedies did not stop after the assassinations. They did not stop with the stuff we mentioned, and the Kennedys are not always the victims in these situations. In seventy three. Nineteen seventy three, August Joseph P. Kennedy the Second crashed a gep paralyzed his passenger. David Kennedy died of a drug overdose in Palm Beach in nineteen eighty four. In April, and then William Kennedy Smith was arrested and charged with the rape of a young woman in the Palm Beach Kennedy estate in April of nineteen ninety one. He has received numerous charges of sexual assault. This was the only one to go to court and he was acquitted.
Speaker 6: No way, Yeah, sarcastic if you couldn't.
Speaker 2: Tell if you're interested in that aspect of certain Kennedys. But if there's also rumors about a lot of the other male Kennedy's right having to do with sexual assault and rape in some of these things, most of these are allegations that cannot be proven. But you can go to the New York Post and you can read something by Maureen Callahan and it's called the Real Curse of the Kennedy and it deals a lot with some of these allegations.
Speaker 1: And then we have the case of Michael Skakeel, a nephew of Robert Kennedy's widow, Ethel Kennedy, who was convicted of bludgeoning his neighbor in two thousand and two.
Speaker 6: Wait, wait, wait, this is the first non Kennedy name we've had in this sordid tale. Why is the escape and not a Kennedy?
Speaker 1: This is the redman to the Wu Tangs kind of situation I have mentioned earlier. Yeah, both were fifteen at the time. I feel like we talked. Did we talk about this in the chap Equittic episode?
Speaker 2: I don't think we have.
Speaker 1: Oh well, he was accused of bludgeoning a girl named Martha Moxley to death with a golf club when they were both fifteen. There were some other kids that were there. He was granted a new trial in twenty thirteen and freed on bail. Three years later, prosecutors appealed the court reinstated his conviction. He's asked them to reconsider. He's still on bail.
Speaker 2: Jeez. So that was two thousand and two when he was first like taking a court for that stuff.
Speaker 3: That's when he was convicted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotcha, And he was convicted of doing that. But he was convicted in two thousand and two. But the crime occurred in nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then we had those two in the nineties, by the way, the skiing accident, and then I think one car accident or was that a plane crash, plane crash plane straight yeah, yeah, that was ninety nine JFK. Junior's plane crash. So two in the nineties. Then there after that, and then we get to twenty twelve May sixteenth, This is when Mary Richardson Kennedy was found. She had committed suicide. She was found there on the estate in Bedford, New York. And that remember that thing that we were talking about, the real curse of the Kennedys, It surrounds that particular suicide. If you're interested again, if you want to read more.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, on this note, of course, as Matt said, every death is too soon, and so we hope that we hope that.
Speaker 3: If except for Hitler, for Hitler, sure.
Speaker 1: And so of course we hope that your family is not beset by problems like this. We also want to know what do you think. Do you think there is a genuine curse or is this just an agglomeration of coincidence framed in a specific way.
Speaker 5: You know, m hm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And if you do think it is a curse, why do you think it's happening. What's the core of it, the inciting incident, I guess because there's always one of those, if there is a curse.
Speaker 1: And I'm interested if a Kennedy ran for president today, once you vote for.
Speaker 2: Them, mm on principle, Like just because it's a name, is what we're asking you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like name recognition far Like how much does that play into the story.
Speaker 2: And we're just thinking about it's because we're thinking about changing our names honestly to Kennedy to so we can run for office. So all three of.
Speaker 3: Us are all four of us paulls out on this full disclosure.
Speaker 2: We're all going to start flying small aircraft ink cod but.
Speaker 1: You know, we'll be careful and it has to be four of us so that we're not kkk.
Speaker 3: Yep, you know what I mean. Just think of the memes we got to have.
Speaker 2: For once one of us goes down, though we're screwed.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should each just get take the name of a political dynasty.
Speaker 2: Okay, there could be a Roosevelt Roosevelt, Kennedy, Bush Clinton.
Speaker 1: Oh who got stuck with Bush I'll be bush.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 2: It's all.
Speaker 6: I knew the golden pipes would would rear their beautiful tones eventually.
Speaker 1: And since we we finally got some amazing uh map pressions Matt impressions there, that means.
Speaker 5: We can Matt libs, Matt lips.
Speaker 3: There we go. That's worth it.
Speaker 1: We can now bid this episode a do in peace, lay it to rest, and hope that stragedies do not continue in the Kennedy family, in your own family, heck, in any family.
Speaker 5: Haven't they suffered.
Speaker 2: Enough enough with the tragedies world and fate and whoever else controls this kind of thing. Stop it just be nice.
Speaker 1: But yeah, let us know what do you think it's a matter of karma? Is a coincidence? We want to hear your take. You can find us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, where we are conspiracy stuff, conspiracy Stuff show some variation thereof.
Speaker 6: You can also find us on Facebook, and if you really want to go down a fun rabbit hole, you can join our Here's where It Gets Crazy Facebook group where you'll find things like this amazing poster of this upcoming movie starring Sam Elliott called the Man Who Killed Hitler and then the Bigfoot.
Speaker 2: Oh really both.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm both a ring Sam Elliott, Aiden Turner, Caitlin Fitzgerald and Larry Miller and our boy Ron Livingston. And at first people thought that it was a spoof, but it is a real picture my friends coming soon to a cinema near you.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, And that's the end of this classic episode. If you have any thoughts or questions about this episode, you can get into contact with us in a number of different ways. One of the best is to give us a call. Our number is one eight three three STDWYTK. If you don't want to do that, you can send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 3: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.