Speaker 1: Hey, it's Danielle Fischl right or Strong and Wilfredell. But you know us best as Tapanga.
Speaker 2: Sean and Eric from Boy Meets World.
Speaker 1: And now Pod Meets World, the podcast where we've been sitting down weekly to rewatch the show we starred in as kids, and we've been unpacking well a lot.
Speaker 2: And we've been taking the show on the road with the Kids Want to Jump Tour where every stop in cities across the US has been totally different and pretty hilarious, if I do say so myself.
Speaker 3: But we know not everyone could join us. So we're happy to announce that our recent thirtieth anniversary of the show, Live from the met in Philadelphia, will now be available to stream no matter where you live.
Speaker 1: Our biggest show yet in the hometown of the Matthews, featuring appearances by Trina, Angela McGee, Matthew Lawrence aka Jack Hunter, Tony Mister Turner Quinn, and Danny Harley McNulty, who makes a very special surprise visit.
Speaker 2: It was so much fun and now you can experience it from the comfort of your own home.
Speaker 3: It will be available on December eleventh at five pm Pacific. You can learn more about how you can watch at Veeps Dot Events slash Pod meets.
Speaker 1: World December eleventh, your birthday.
Speaker 3: That's the boy.
Speaker 1: Get all the info on streaming the live Pod meets World show so you don't miss out. Go to Veeps Veeps Dot Events, slash Pod meets World now. Today and yesterday was picture day at preschool Nice and yesterday it would have only been one day if you don't have two kids at the school, But if you have two kids at the school and you want them to take sibling pictures, they do it on one day and then they do individual pictures the next day. So yesterday was sibling picture day. And we couldn't convince Keaton to take off his whole costume.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we were just like that, okay, like that's mine, you know.
Speaker 1: The school called and they were like, hey, ah, he really wants to wear the costume. And I said, I sent him in it. I knew he wouldn't let us take him out of it before he left. I figured it was not going to be an easy thing to do, So I just put Adler in a Marvel sweatshirt that has superheroes all over it, and their little sibling picture is going to be Hulk and his older brother, and it reminded me of picture Day at school. Do you guys remember picture Day? And do you have your school pictures where you go through that phase where your fake smile is just awful and you are so weird looking, Like, do you guys remember that, because I remember it very well. Yeah, Oh my gosh, Will's going to get us something.
Speaker 3: Of course, grade I just remember looking back, I clearly did not have like in a great way. I didn't have any self consciousness. So like every picture was me just like just the goofiest, happiest little dweve like and that lasted all the way up until like fourth grade. Like I was just always like, eh, just smiling, you know, if they're sitting there with a puppet or whatever, I just go with it. So yeah, but then I, you know, by fifth by fourth grade, I was out of my fifth grade, I was out of public school. So I stopped taking pictures after that. So cute.
Speaker 1: I remember my having the pictures where you don't know how to do a real fake smile. So you're just like here's Will where oh my gosh, yes, here's you get.
Speaker 3: A little Milliam for Dell with your look at that.
Speaker 2: I got my bullet right there. That's eighth grade. So that's nineteen.
Speaker 1: What little cardigan are you wearing?
Speaker 2: It was one of my awesome cardigans, one of my many amazing cardigans. And then we talked about how I did not like high school. So I literally when pictures came up, I think I took like an old headshot and say, and you know, everybody writes all this stuff underneath, like this is the best time of my life, and oh my god, I did all this stuff. And they've got just lists of all the stuff that they loved and the things that they were doing. And I put an old high shot and wrote nothing.
Speaker 1: Wow, you just look at you.
Speaker 2: I was angry and there you go.
Speaker 1: Let me out of here, wrong paragraph next to you. This has been the most formative years of my life.
Speaker 2: Not a word, nothing, And so to show you. So that was Megan Friedman, who I went to school with. Obviously, we were always next to each other every year in pictures. And I uh still sleep in a T shirt that I was given at her bot mitzvah. No way that still says like Megan's Bob Mitzvah nineteen eighty whatever. I still have it, of course, and I still sleep in my T shirt. So there are my some of the pictures that I have, so.
Speaker 3: T shirt even lasts that long.
Speaker 2: Oh I've got T shirts? Are you kidding? I've got T shirts from literally when I was eight, nine, ten years old. I still have I can't.
Speaker 3: My favorite is my friend Rachel has. She broke her nose right before picture day.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So she just has two black eyes and she's still smiling. It's the futest thing. She posted, like every year she posted on Instagram. It's one of the funniest things in the world.
Speaker 2: Is now not just mool picture days, But did y'all ever do like the family pictures?
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you're in Mills. Oh yeah and Mill.
Speaker 1: Yes, Well you've seen my just legendary photo with all the hair that was the old Mills picture, the one where I have just massive amounts sillion It's yeah, yeah, exactly. Well, my mom and I did the photo shoot together, and so it was like a photo for my dad, and so my mom's like wearing an off the shoulder thing and also me nine is wearing it off the shoulder thing with like it's.
Speaker 3: Just like just glimber, lamb sunshine.
Speaker 1: Like he was going to put that, and he did. He had it on his desk at work.
Speaker 3: Like, look at my glo family. Oh my god, I just want to know why everybody.
Speaker 2: Every photo that I have with my family until like we're adults, we're all glancing off.
Speaker 3: Everyone off. The best is when there's another version of your head like above you, like, yes, the glamour for the next.
Speaker 2: Pod meets World photo shoot? Can we do an Olen Mills photo shoot somewhere? Well? I used to.
Speaker 3: I used to love going doing like the old timey photos or they let you. When I started that's like eleven twelve. Every time I went to like a ren fare, Yeah, any sort of state.
Speaker 2: Fairs and want to also were fun, though.
Speaker 1: I know I do love those photo shoots. My mom also on family vacation, she would make a big deal about we're gonna get a family photo here, We're gonna get a family photo here. But it would be like almost every night we'd try to take family pictures and I would always complain about it, and she would say to me, my whole life, she said to me, you're gonna appreciate these someday, And here I am thirty years later opening up my you know, my books, going, I'm so happy I have this entire photo shoot with random nineties hot guy and I mean it like I am. I'm grateful that I have them.
Speaker 3: And I just remembered I have an eighth grade dance photo of me and Marine and I'm wearing my Foedora that I used to always wear and with socks, and I think I'm wearing tails, like a like a touxedo tails. Would you let us? It's on Facebook? It's on Facebook. I think she posted a somebody from it like Fats World. Right. If I don't know, I'm not on Facebook. But if someone's on Facebook and you see, I think it comes up, so let's find it. I will post it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can we please? Because that's that's wonderful. Oh, I love those photos. Susan grew up in a family of photographers, so they're family there. There's picture everywhere where. My family we did like Christmas photos and that was great. My dad always thought the lens cap was on, even when it wasn't. It was like not that you're it took forever to take the photos. We'd have to wait on the stairs. It was the worst I.
Speaker 1: Have started the tradition of having a family photo shoot and we've done it now for the last couple of years around in fall, and we do like a fall family photo shoot and then we use that photo as like a Christmas card. But then also it is nice to have like every year to see the kids. Yeah, just a record like a you know, nice nice.
Speaker 2: Always going to remember they were this tall.
Speaker 1: It's always going to remember, always remember you was this tall. Well, Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Daniel Fishl, I'm right or Strong, and I'm will Fredell.
Speaker 3: Gazing off into the.
Speaker 1: Distance, gazing off. I'm also the mom of Hulk Mom.
Speaker 2: Yes, Missus Banner, Oh, I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Missus Banner. Chicago, we are coming to you on November thirtieth, and we couldn't be more excited.
Speaker 3: That's right, the kids want to jump tour. We'll be live from the Historic Chicago Theater on November thirtieth, and we want you to join us.
Speaker 2: We'll be telling new stories, meeting and greeting listeners, and judging at costume contest, where the best outfit in the Windy City gets an actual nineties boy meets World shooting script from my personal collection, signed by the three.
Speaker 1: Of us, and we will be joined by the Great Tony Quinn aka mister.
Speaker 2: Turner oh Man. I hope he does not drive a motorcycle to the show.
Speaker 3: Too soon, will too soon, So.
Speaker 1: Go to Pondmeetsworldshow dot com right now to get tickets to see the Kids Want to Jump Tour at the Chicago Theater on November thirtieth.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have a.
Speaker 2: Ton of fun and we'd love to see you there.
Speaker 1: So today we are recapping season three, episode nineteen, I Was a Teenage Spy. It originally aired April twenty six, ninety six. The synopsis a freak microwave accident sends Corey back in time to nineteen fifty seven. As if that weren't enough, Corey ends up mistaken for a Russian spy because of the information he has about future technology. It was directed by David Traynor. It was written by Jeff C.
Speaker 3: Sherman. What did you guys think?
Speaker 2: I'll go first? Go first, because I knew what it was going in because it's just a romp and it's supposed to be ridiculous. I thought it was fun.
Speaker 3: I loved it. I thought I was absolutly loved it.
Speaker 1: That was fun.
Speaker 2: And do you, Danielle, were phenomenal in the same phenomenal sure.
Speaker 3: Sure, but right we will talk about with the New York accent. But otherwise you actually had character and like you were asserting yourself in such a way that Chepanga hasn't. And I am previously that you.
Speaker 2: Were supposed to lose the accent because he got through to who you really were and dropped the character because you are showing him who you really are.
Speaker 1: I thought that too. In the one scene where where I go from like kind of being like snappy snappy to them being like hey stop, I felt like that was intentional. But then for the rest of the episode it should have come back because she she does pop back into anyway. I thought that part was terrible. But I remember doing this episode. I remember thinking this was all so fun, and I thought then while watching it, of course there's some things that just like what is happening? It is an insane episode, But I loved it.
Speaker 3: Rider I did not love it, but you know, you could have guess that. I don't, you know. The insanity was just like the hits kept coming. I kept being like, who is this person? Why is there a Happy Days reference? Why is Pat Marina here? What is going on? None of it added up to I don't know. None of it made sense to me, and I don't understand the organized like it would start with one organizing principle of like, it's the nineteen fifties, and isn't it funny that the nineteen fifties, you know, didn't understand things, And then it's like but that then it'd because I don't I don't know why we have wax on wax offt I don't know why Alex is just playing the battles. But it's meta with its a fantasy.
Speaker 1: Maria specifically mentions it, it's your fantasy. Yeah, And so you know, we have the trope of oh, it was all a dream and that dreams are like that where you're like, why what's pat.
Speaker 3: Does happen? Yeahah, no, it was. It was not like I don't know, there's like something about like it's it's actually making me long for the days of us getting stuck in the subway because there was something there. There's like an organizing story principle that made the absurdity okay. Whereas this was just like I don't like this. Just felt so off the wall and referential in all these different directions, and I was like, I, actually, you know, if you take any individual thing, like the Tabanga storyline, I thought Tony was hysterical.
Speaker 1: It was great, Shaunz.
Speaker 3: I like the outfit. I like the way I look. I actually kind of fit in that nineteen fifties.
Speaker 1: So we get there all the time.
Speaker 3: But no, but my character doesn't pay off at all. I don't know why we're in. None of it makes sense to me, so, you know whatever.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the Corey Kluck's like this, he walks from one scene into another scene.
Speaker 2: Cluck is it's a feverdream. It's a fever dream.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: I thought it was fun.
Speaker 3: I absolutely loved it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we have guest starring Tom Bosley as Tom Bosley, best known as the iconic TV dad Howard Cunningham on Happy Days, a show that clearly influenced the writers of Boy Meets World, Leather Jackets and all, And for this episode we get three cameos to prove it. There's also Anson Williams playing himself. He's the actor who played Patzi on Happy Days, a legend of the small screen as well, and then Pat Maurita as wise Man.
Speaker 3: Now remember that. No, it was a complete reshoot. Yeah, Pat Marita was added. We shot it a whole other week. Wow. Yeah. The original storyline was just a beat poem sequence with Alex, and I guess it didn't work for whatever reason. But it was just him playing the bongos and he was the wise Man that we went to talk to. But then they rewrote it and brought in Pat Rita because I guess we didn't have enough list stars or.
Speaker 1: That's so funny you say that. Right before we got to the wise Man scene, I said out loud to Jensen, Oh, the wise Man is that? The wise Man is Alex And Jensen looks at and Jensen looks at me and he goes, no, No, We're about ready to get into a whole new weird insanity thing. And then we see Alex as Bongos playing the bongos, and I'm like, wait, I know he was he is wise Man, and I completely forgot that he remember in the original scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we shot the whole scene with him and then did reshoots like weeks later with Pat.
Speaker 2: You think it's just because because I'll guarantee you it wasn't that Alex was bad. You think it was just now.
Speaker 3: It was Alex being bad, But maybe the scene was bad, Like I remember, it was obviously like something was wrong with it. They were like, oh, let's let's we need to save this episode with more crazy.
Speaker 1: Right with Pat Merita.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: So most of the world knows Pat Marita as the unforgettable Mister Miyagi and the Karate Kid movies, but he also played Mitsumo Arnold Takahashi for twenty six episodes in season three of Happy Days. So there is a happy Oh yeah, rappy days.
Speaker 3: Yeah he ran he yeah, he ran the It does make more sense. The diner, it was a Happy Days reference, like the entire thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, that does make a lot more sense than anything else.
Speaker 1: You guys remember about the guest stars, Tom Bosley or Anson Williams, anything I remember.
Speaker 2: I think I would sat there and talk to especially Anton Williams about Happy Days, but I don't remember enough of it to like remember stories or anything. I love the meta stuff that they're putting in where he doesn't have like he has no last name or no no sir. Yeah, because that's what Pazzi and Ralph.
Speaker 1: He was well, and also a little bit like Sean. Yeah, seems like Potzi could have been a little bit of aspiration the Sean character.
Speaker 2: Well, there's there's also a big correlation between Sean and Phonsie for a number of reasons. Also, like Phonsie was supposed to be a one off character. He wasn't supposed to take over the show. He was originally called Masharelli. I mean, it's like they changed his name, they gave him a bigger part. He became a kind of the same version of Sean, the same journey as Sean. So there's a lot of correlation between our shows.
Speaker 1: Also guest starring Christopher Darga as the Counterman. He's a recognizable character actor from movies like The Hudsucker, Proxy, Bruce Almighty, and Dude Whars My Car. I also recently had the opportunity to direct him on a Disney Channel show called Pretty Freaking Scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, of course, not absolutely not.
Speaker 1: He may have I'm thinking now, like it's entirely possible. He was like, yeah, I was on Boy Meets World, and I was like, yeah, cool, because I never remember anything but now when I see him again, I'm gonna be like, hey, that's so crazy. And then Don sparks as deputy. He has a ton of credits as well, but I will focus on one as he is in one of my favorite movies, PS, I Love you Nice. So to start our recap, we are in Chubbies. Mister Williams and mister Turner walk up to Corey and say he's just the man they wanted to see. Turner asks, how would you like to help a couple teachers handout flyers? Corey tells him he wouldn't, and they respond by handing him the flyers and saying thanks a lot. As they bounce out of Chubby's. Corey tells Sean and Topanga, who are eating nearby, that this year's spring dance is a fifty sohop like anyone would want to go to this. He looks at Tapanga and quickly asks her do you want to go to this? To Panga, who has her hair her bangs combed back, did you guys realize that it's the first time I don't have Yeah, I don't have my little bangs and they're like combed back into my hair.
Speaker 3: So at this point we may have been right where I have to put.
Speaker 1: On right, but it is not like my hair is flat to my head like it was in preparation for a wig. But I do wonder if they wanted to separate because the wig I wear has little bangs, and so I wonder if they wanted to make it, if they wanted to give it like a little differentiation where I looked a.
Speaker 2: Little different visual difference to wear it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not. It's not my favorite hair look for me. I was like, Oh, that's a little threw me off.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Is Corey back on wanting to date to Panga then? Because it seemed like they were both fine not and now all of a sudden, it seems like they are setting it up to where he's been asking her out and why Yeah, I don't get it.
Speaker 3: Well, she even turns it back at him in the scene, is like, you broke up with me? Up with me?
Speaker 2: I didn't get any of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he says, just because we're not going out anymore, you don't want to go out anymore?
Speaker 3: What's that about?
Speaker 1: And then she says, well, you're the one who made the decision to just be friends. I don't think we should complicate that. Well, how very mature. Yeah, Corey urges her, it's a dance in socks. What's complicated about that? Tbanga correctly responds Corey is the one who broke up with her, don't you understand that? And Corey sinks back, of course, I know exactly where we stand, and if you're not careful, I'll break up with you again, and his signature.
Speaker 3: Banger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also my sweater and favorite sweater in a different color. Oh, this is a different brown green version. And I don't know why I didn't have this one.
Speaker 1: Right, you should have had the This is like a dupe. You should have had it. Yeah, So Tapega tells him, you've got to stop living in the past, and she walks away. Sean tells Corey she's right, and Corey doubles down while looking at his soda. No, she's not, Sean, are you going to finish that? And Sean tells him it's yours, buddy. Corey takes the drink and says, of course it is. Because you're my friend and I'm your friend. That's the way it will always be, and there's nothing complicated about that. Corey keeps staring at Sean's fries, so he adds, you want my fries. Corey takes them and says, only if you're not going to finish them. So in case anybody who was watching the show wasn't didn't remember, Corey and Sean are very good friends.
Speaker 3: Yes, and for a romantic on off partner on off. Yes.
Speaker 2: It also looks like you guys both broke or were really close to breaking as you were as Danielle was leaving the scene. Huh.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: Writer was smiling as I was walking off, and I think I was breaking a little bit right as I was leaving, So there was some sort of joke that was either between writer and me or that something was going on, but we both kind of broke into into that. And there's another spot where I'm breaking over Rider's shoulder that I'll bring up later too. And then we're in the Matthew's kitchen. Eric can't get the microwave to work and Amy explains, oh, I unplugged it. It's been making this weird sound. Alan asks what kind of weird sound? And on cue, Eric plugs it back in and the power in the entire house goes on and off. And we hear Corey screaming upstairs. A frantic Corey runs into the kitchen, explaining his computer crashed. Eric passes the microwave cord to Morgan and tells her to hold it. She dryly says it was me. I did it.
Speaker 2: That was a very funny, funny.
Speaker 1: Ye, very well done, Cory says, my term paper on the space race is gone. Now I got to come up with ten pages on Sputnik and I've gotten nothing. Alan tries to help. Sputnik was the first satellite launched by the Russians nineteen fifty seven. People thought it was a bomb. Amy wearing the exact same outfit from the last episode when Eric dated Brenda Marsh.
Speaker 2: Oh really, wow, I did notice that the same outfit.
Speaker 1: It is the exact same the blue denim shirt tucked into high waisted red pants and her little sleeves are rolled up. It was and I noticed it in the last episodes. I thought, that is a cute outfit. And when we were talking about what does she do? I was like looking at her outfit to see is this gallerious outfit? Is this real? So I like specifically remembered the clothes she's wearing the full same outfit two weeks in a row.
Speaker 2: Huh huh. Interesting, Maybe that is her uniform.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't very odd.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure what was going on earth or if these were aired out of order, and maybe they just thought we'll throw her in that same outfit. It was really cute when she wore a few episodes ago and not realizing they were gonna air back to back. So Amy says, it was a famous day in history. It created panic because everybody thought the Russians were putting up a spy satellite.
Speaker 3: Corey looks at them, puzzled. How do you know?
Speaker 1: How do you know so much? You're a grocer, Amy says in a Russian accent, we're really Russian spies, right, Boris and Alan responds yes, Natasha. Phoene then bolts in, saying he heard a scream. That's quite a scream. Foene heard it from all the way in his house.
Speaker 3: I know that Phoene's gonna come help.
Speaker 2: I knows, yeah, coming in to save them.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you guys notice gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, throughout the rest of the episode.
Speaker 3: It's but this one like a nice dark see, this is a good look for Bill. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh so, Corey breaks the news mister Feoenie, don't expect to get my paper on time, and Phoene responds, I never do.
Speaker 2: I'm about this paper very very quickly. I always say very quickly. Is I don't remember much of writing papers in high school? But isn't ten pages excessive?
Speaker 1: Feels like it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: For a high school paper, weren't they too? Maybe three pages long? If you have to write a paper, you have to write a ten page paper.
Speaker 3: I mean I would get like up to ten pages. I feel like that would take you would have like all semester to write.
Speaker 1: It, right right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this seemed it seemed excessive.
Speaker 1: The ten ten pages feels feels like too much, mister Phoenie. I think we should talk about it.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: Corey continues computer glitches, girlfriend glitches. You guys had it so easy going to high school way back in the fifties. Alan and Amy both quickly clarify late seventies. Phoene butts in, I was there communist switch hunts, mass paranoia, people diving under desks, the fear of the bomb was going to drop. It wasn't quite the happy days. Ha ha foreshadowing for.
Speaker 3: Shadowing for the episode show it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Quite the happy days you would think. Corey assures him, maybe you didn't have a good time, but I bet I would. He plugs the microwave and gets fully electrocuted, sending him back and forth between present day and the fifties in what's not like not so much special effects as much as like just quick.
Speaker 2: I felt like that could have been and better.
Speaker 3: Better, something they could have done.
Speaker 2: Yes, even for ninety six on a sitcom, just him shaking and then him shaking the other he's not even standing the same way. It's like, I feel like there could have been some kind of it doesn't have to be a special effect, but maybe some effect could have. It was strange.
Speaker 1: And then finally we enter our first ever Boy meets World time travel episode and Corey is in slims, which was nice.
Speaker 3: These did we do? We did this one, we did the nineteen forties world or is World War two to one?
Speaker 2: And then yeah, so we go to the future twice. There's the one where Eric has the comb over and then the place with squirrels one right, So that's I think the only times we go there.
Speaker 1: I loved it. I don't know how I'm gonna feel about all of them, but man, I really thought this one was super fun.
Speaker 2: So then we're in Slims.
Speaker 3: I yeah to me, I remember not liking it at the time, and I can tell that I'm not having any fun, and I think it's just I don't know what's happening. I'm like, why are we doing this? And I still kind of feel that way. I'm still looking at it, Quen writer, what are you doing here?
Speaker 1: I probably really loved it because I did get to do something so out of the norm, and I was finally like a real part of the episode. So Cory is holding the plug to a jukebox now and the music abruptly stops. To Panga, now fully in nineteen fifties, get up and apparently from New York or New Jersey.
Speaker 2: All from New York, everybody's all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: She yells at him, Hey you read Jet red Jet. Although, oh my god, I've been watching Grace over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: She says, hey, Howdy Dooty would dance in here? Why'd you pull the plug? Corey tells her sorry, and he plugs it back in to Panga goes back to doing the twist, and Cory says, wait a minute, to Panga, is this the so cop? Did you decide to come with me? I was having an absolute blast being able to do an accent and getting to wear this outfit. And I've I've talked about this before. I will scream it from the rooftops. But those shoes I'm wearing were loose seal Ball's shoes. Yeah, it's so cool, and they were at least a half a size too small, and my little toes were just jammed in there.
Speaker 3: But I was like, give you a little bit of extra energy.
Speaker 1: I'm wearing a hurt. Wait a second, So you're fourteen, fourteen or fifteen? Yeah, fourteen or.
Speaker 2: Fifteen, and Lucille Ball has already has feet that are like smaller than your Like you have pretty small feet.
Speaker 1: For a girl, right, Actually, don't know how tight I am for being five to one. I actually I'm a six and a half, which isn't like a big foot by any means, but for people who are my height, some people have like four and a half or a five. My mom is a five and a half and I'm a six and a half, so I have had pretty small feet. Sh had small feet. I think she was probably a size six. Okay, interesting, So Topanga yells for no reason, what are you cracked? I don't date guys, I don't know. Corey's confused. The cashier yells bet to everyone. Hey, hey, hey, you zoo full of weenies, shake a leg. Time to get back to school. I'm assuming you zoo full of wienies was common fifties vernacular.
Speaker 2: Fifty one, that's what's stowing your fifties?
Speaker 3: Are we here for breakfast dancing? We're away from school, but we're gonna go back to school.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: It's brunch. It's brunches, slims.
Speaker 1: Right right, brunch of slims. Everybody blimbs. Everybody gets a forty minute break. So as the kids start to leave, Corey walks up to the cashier and asks, what year is this. The man responds, it's nineteen fifty seven. What's the matter, kid? You flip your wig. Corey's in disbelief it happened. I'm here Great Caesar's Ghosts. I've gone back in time and I had to look up Great Caesar's ghost because I was like, what is this that we are saying? And it is a reference to a forties and fifties Superman radio show catchphrase for the character Perry White. That is quite a deep cut.
Speaker 3: Obviously, is that a fifties saying? I think that's a fifties saying, And to give Corey a same from the forties for no reason?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I guess, well, because Corey in this fever dream is obsessed with the fifties just because he thinks he would have had a good time there. So then we're in the school hallway and we see an establishing shot of the same school we've seen an establishing shot.
Speaker 3: Obviously dressed kids up in the fifties, and they shot out, Y're just great.
Speaker 2: Where is this school?
Speaker 3: It's in Los Felis. It is in Los Felis, at least the school that we normally show is in Los Felis. But I don't know where this front lawn is at that school. This might be a different school than when are normal one.
Speaker 2: And you don't think this is stock footage like they have the fifties version. You think they went out and actually shot I think.
Speaker 3: The show maybe because the school that I passed the school all the time. When I go into my to my in laws, it's like it's in Los Felis.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And actually had somebody point out to me once, like I was at a coffee shop and they're like, you know, you went to school right around here. I'm like, what are you talking about.
Speaker 1: That's so funny the exterior fear.
Speaker 3: I was like, that's so funny. But yeah, I don't think it has this lawn in front. So this might be stock footage where they shot somewhere else for this. Wow.
Speaker 1: We'll have to ask Kendall about whether or not it was shot for just for this or if it was stock footage. So Corey exclaims it really is the fifties. This is hunky dory.
Speaker 3: He sees Sean in a new.
Speaker 1: Totally different leather jacket and says, hey, hey, hey, all right, you're here too nineteen fifty. Sean doesn't even shake Corey's hand. And now we notice he is a greaser's haircut. And let me say, Hotty hot Hot, I should have Coddy hot Hot.
Speaker 3: I remember greasing my hair back in the in the way in the hair room and being like we should be doing this all the time. This looks this is a good look for me with the wasted pants on they looked great.
Speaker 2: Should so this is what did it for you back in the day.
Speaker 3: There, I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: If this is Rider ninety six, we already know that's what my diary is from.
Speaker 3: This is the time.
Speaker 2: I'm peak Rider strong, crush strong, Hatty.
Speaker 1: Mccotson's so Corey. He tells Cory, don't handle the merchandise unless you intend on paying the price? And writer, do you think you're doing any sort of like Danny McNulty impression?
Speaker 3: Totally? That's what I kept thinking about. It is basically, I'm just I've become him.
Speaker 1: Right, You're just a person in an episode because.
Speaker 3: He was the very much the nineteen fifties like New York reserah bad boy, yeah yeah, And I'm just like, it's the rhythm of every line is exactly Danny McNulty.
Speaker 1: Every day, our writers are like, how can we get some grease?
Speaker 2: We need something?
Speaker 1: How can we do it? In this episode New.
Speaker 3: York Fifties gangster. I should have just called him baboom the whole episode. I know you're right, I.
Speaker 2: Think, but that's also going to the to the Fever dream, Shawn Ze kind of becomes Harley. Everything gets twisted together. I mean, sure, yeah, I buy it all right.
Speaker 1: Corey laughs and tells Sean, come on, it's me, and Sean responds, first of all, I don't know who me is, and second of all, it ain't Shawn. It's Shawnsi, as he pops the collar on his jacket, and that's our first real happy Day's reference of the script. Corey tries to tell him we're best friends. Shawnsi says, you see, I don't have any friends. I'm a loner. Corey disagrees, deep down, you really need a good buddy who's always going to be there for you. It's what we always do. Shawnzi reaches into his pocket. Okay, buddy boy, why don't you hold this, and he hands Cory a ping pong racket. Corey questions, Ping Pong, huh I love ping pong? Got a ball right on cue. Mister Feenie, who looks about four months younger than regular modern day Bill Daniels, comes walking out with a dark mustache, and he's coming out of the principal's office when a box full of ping pong balls falls on him and Feenie yells out, Shonzi Hunterrelly, I warned you that your next Shenanigan would be your last. And Corey and er Jacks it wasn't him, it was me. And it's here that I noticed there is a poster in the hallways of a black and white little girl photo that says, fight polio.
Speaker 2: It's just all right. In the back on the wall, a black potgraph, a blood driver, blood yep so.
Speaker 1: Phoeney responds, Ah, a new student trying to make a name for himself, and that name is and Shawnzi leans into Corey. If he doesn't know, you be smart, make one up, and I guess even though mister phoene is four months younger, he is deaf because because that he didn't hear sean say that, and Corey stumbles, my name is Brad Pitzer. Phoene responds, well, mister Pitzer, if you want to keep your nose clean around here, I suggest that you steer clear of bad apples like this Johnny rotten seed. And as Phoene leaves, oh yeah. As Phoene leaves, Shaanzi says, Pitzer, you piped up for me when you didn't have to. If I was the type to say thank you, I would, And Corey says, you're welcome. But Shaunzi cuts him off. But I'm not that type of guy, and he walks off, and then we're in the school hallway continued, Phoene is measuring Tapanga's hair with a ruler, telling her young lady, her hair is far too high, a clear violation of school policy and a hazard to all low flying aircraft. Tapanga responds, if I see an arrow plane, I'll duck all rightly, tells her. And pen he tells her to spit out that gum. She spits it into a nearby trash can and it clinks loudly with an over the top sound effect. And I remember thinking that was so fun that I got to one spit gum, one chew gum, because I loved to chew gum. So one I got to chew gum. Two I got to spit that gum from my mouth far into a trash can. And then that we were gonna do with the sound, A little bit of a cheesy thing with the sound, but I loved it.
Speaker 2: Also. The thing that I love is every time you spit it, it goes. It's one move, you go puting and you turn around and put the other piece right back in your eye exactly one move the whole thing. I know.
Speaker 1: I love it too. So Corey walks up to Tapanga. There you are. She grabs his collar and throws him against a locker and a little nod to the Corey's Alternative.
Speaker 2: Friends episode doing it again.
Speaker 1: She points her finger in his chest and tells him listen, Archie, the name's t L. Corey clarifies as into pang Lawrence, and she says no, as in tough luck for suckers who don't know better, and then she walks away, smacking him on the face as Corey announces I'm in love. Then the bell rings and Turner emerges from his classroom with his hair slicked back, glasses on, and a sweater vest underneath his suit jacket.
Speaker 3: So who is he doing? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Character Kent, he laughed, the entire Park Kent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like a little bit of a Clark Kent. He looked a little Clark Kent, and Clark Kent had that little bit of like a I'm really kind of a buttoned up, a little bit of a nerdy guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's what it.
Speaker 3: It's funny that the like I like that, you know, Eric is clearly established it's like the opposite of who he really is. So is the idea that, like Turner has become a nerd, or she.
Speaker 1: Has comics, he's a little more Archie's comics as opposed to like laid back motorcycle guy he's or you.
Speaker 3: Know, you can tell Tony is having so much so he just keeps.
Speaker 2: Trying to make me laugh. This was a week where he just keep kept trying to make me laugh because one of the lines he says, coming.
Speaker 1: Up here, I wonder if it's the same hold. I wonder if it's the same one. I think I pulled it. I pulled an audio clip because it's one of my favorite things. I watched it like five times. So Turner is yelling at students. All right, guys, I heard a bell that means everyone into class.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: None of the student's budge, so he pleads, oh, come on, it's my first day. You're gonna make me look bad. It's also kind of how Tony looks now like it looks like modern day Tony's. So then we're in Turner's classroom. All the students are yelling and throwing paper at one another. None of them are paying attention to Turner, and he's yelling, Settle, settle, what does it take to calm you kids down? Shawnsy snaps his fingers and the class goes silent, taking their seats. Shawnsy says, go on, teach, make your MoMA proud. Turner starts his lesson today. Our topic for discussion what will life be like in forty years? Who wants to go first?
Speaker 3: Young lady?
Speaker 1: Your hair is up? Which I thought was a very funny line. Tl scoffs at him so and asks Shawnzy the same question, and Shaunze tells him I don't know. I don't know what I'm having for lunch. Corey eagerly raises his hand and responds, forty years from now, I can say with total confidence, a man will walk on the moon, pizza will have cheese baked into the crust, and men and women will be equal partners in the workplace and in their relationships.
Speaker 3: In nineteen ninety six, are we.
Speaker 1: Going with the idea that women were equal partners in the workplace and in relationships? Because I all know a few very intelligent women who would like to have a word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure. So.
Speaker 1: Then everyone looks at Corey like he's crazy, and Turner laughs, what in imagination? Tell us more about that pizza. Corey shakes his head.
Speaker 3: That's all I got.
Speaker 1: Turner responds, good enough, because right now it's time to put on our helmets and practice our civil defense drills.
Speaker 3: And then I noticed Dusty is in the audience.
Speaker 1: There, Yes, yes, Dusty is there. And I love nineteen fifties Dusty, maybe even more than I love nineteen nineties. Dusty gets saying something, It was so great to see him sitting there. It was amazing. So Turner puts his helmet on and explains, explains, the atomic bomb falls. We see a brilliant flash.
Speaker 3: Now what do we do?
Speaker 1: The class says in unison, we duck and cover, and everyone jumps under their seats, well everyone except Corey. Turner looks at him and says a line, I am completely obsessed with.
Speaker 2: Thank you. This is we said this forever.
Speaker 1: You're dead, Brad, let's play it.
Speaker 2: You're dead, Brad, you're dead. Bread, you're dead, Brad, you're dead.
Speaker 3: Brad.
Speaker 2: Wait one more time, Brad, you're dead. Brad, you're dead. Bread. And he would do that to me, Bread all the time, you're dead, Bred. And it was at one time, he said, Pitzer. So the first take you went, you're dead Pitzer, and it was like it was so Jim Carrey, Jim married, and so we'd be on the golf course and somebody would hit it. We'd hit a shot somewhere and you just look at me and go, you're dead Pitzer.
Speaker 3: It was you're dead.
Speaker 1: Brad cracks me.
Speaker 3: It's funny because I'm listening.
Speaker 1: I'm listening to the clip, and there is something so necessary about seeing his face because there is just a way a thing he's doing slightly with his mouth too, that is hilarious. You're dead bread, You're dead bread. So Corey is amused, mister Turner, you're telling me that if the atomic bomb falls, I'll be safe if I go like this, flailing his arms above his head, and Turner explains, no, no, you've got to drop to the ground, ducked under a desk, curl up, cover your neck, and Corey finishes and kiss your butt goodbye. And then Turner pops up and sternly asks who said that? Who said? But Bay shawnsy lies and says, I did, mister Turner, I said, but.
Speaker 3: I mean he was talking to Corey, right, says the word. But in response, I mean, why does he not know? Well, because he did have his head under the desk.
Speaker 1: So the entire for this moment, it's a really forced story.
Speaker 3: Could have used a little bit of a rewrite there on that couple. It maybe make a little.
Speaker 1: Bit of like human said the same thing. When we were watching, it was like, but he was talking to Corey. Yeah he should have known it was Corey, But I don't know. Guys, I disagree. I was like, well, his head was down. He could very He's not gonna he very easily could say I didn't see who said it. I just heard a voice and dream who's gonna say it? Yeah, well anyway, so, uh, this is a little bit of a role reversal from the open. Turner tells Shawnzi, that's it this time, you've gone too far hunter Elly. Corey laughs for saying, but Shawnze assures Corey this one's on me. Corey asks how come, and he says, it's what we've always done. Turner grabs Shawnzy by the ear and he drags him out of class.
Speaker 3: Oh I like that.
Speaker 1: I was like, let's do the air thing. Yeah, this happens all the time, and then we're in the school hallway. We see a picture of the current president, Dwight D. Eisenhower in the school hallway as Corey is making a call. He's asking for Dean Witter. He calls up a stock brokerage, Dean Witter Reynolds, and the Dean Witter picks up. He commands, Yes, I'd like to buy some Xerox stock. Never heard of it? Huh what about IBM selling it? A Nicolas Cheryl? Take them all, tack them all, right, right? Then Eric appears with mister Foenie, wearing a Letterman sweater and looking kind of Mormon. Yeah, he announces in a new preppy gray poupon eating Westport, Connecticut accent. Here's the thing. I've been accepted to both Harvard and Yale. You're my mentor, what's your advice? And Phoene tells him you'd be a fine student at either institution, and Eric laughs, undoubtedly I would, but.
Speaker 3: They've asked me to teach.
Speaker 1: Phoene says, as you know, mister Matthews so great.
Speaker 3: And my hair.
Speaker 2: I think isn't that called a DA?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's called the da, which is a ducks, which is if you look at the back, it's it's like all shaped into like a triangle in the back, like a duck's booty.
Speaker 3: By I think you mean who said that?
Speaker 2: Who said that?
Speaker 3: Nope, not us, not us looking right at us.
Speaker 1: But Phoene says, as you know, mister Matthews, there are no females at Harvard. Eric uncharacteristically explains, well, I wouldn't want anything to distract me from my intellectual pursuits.
Speaker 3: Harvard it is.
Speaker 1: Phoene turns around to see a dumbfounded Corey Ah Young Pitzer, enjoying your first day. Corey responds, yes, thank you, but about Shonzie, And just then he's cut off by t L yelling, why, mister Phoenie, why are you sending Shawnzi off to a reform school? Hill Rotten? There, I tell you, rot rot. Corey agrees, asking can't you give him another chance? And Phoene says, no, mister HUNTERRELLI has run out of chances. As for you, Missy, I suggest you mend your wayward ways and spit out that gum and I spit into the trash can and it makes another cartoonish clanking sound, and it feels like too much when I watch it now, but I loved it at the time. Corey sized, man, things aren't as perfect around here as I thought they'd be. TL responds, I say, we blow this dump and head to Slims and grab a burger. Cory smiles. I got a better idea. How about we go to the zoo and see the giraffes.
Speaker 2: Ah oh, let's getting to her now.
Speaker 3: We haven't established this giraffe thing before. Nope, no, And in fact, your favorite ice cream is chunky Monkey.
Speaker 1: With chunky Monkey didn't exist because that's a Ben and Jerry's flavor. So they found like a so but Corey knows that.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, Ry knows that they hadn't been invented yet, so he found his uh founder other kind right yeah? Uh.
Speaker 1: TL wonders, and why would I want to do a thing like that? Huh, Corey continues, And after the zoo, we'll get some Rocky Road ice cream? She yiels at him. Who do you think you are thinking? I like them giraffes and Rocky Road ice cream out of nowhere like this?
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: Corey explains to Panga, I know you better than anybody, and she responds without an accent. I told you quit calling me to Panga. Corey keeps smiling at her like Norman Bates. She adds, and stop looking at me like that.
Speaker 3: So disrespecting her requests and making her uncomfortable. That's the game, hot, that's what she but by the end, that's that's cool. Games. Let's work. Just stare at her creepily. Its f I mean, she just couldn't get enough.
Speaker 2: We'll get into that a little later because she gets a little crazy at some point at it's like.
Speaker 1: Steemies, little steamy action. He doesn't stop basically looking through her nose, so she says, you're giving me the hev gebies, and then we're in the school hallway continuing. Phoene then runs in frantically and announces, I have dire news. The Russian Russians have launched a satellite. All the students gasp. Phoene continues, Our government thinks it's a spy satellite with an atomic warhead. Turner then runs into the hallway with his helmet on, yelling flash and everyone gets down on the floor, and then Jensen yelled. At this moment, this episode is unhinged.
Speaker 3: It took this long to reach unhinged.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: At this point, he was like, what is when it really goes over it? Because when the Russian spy thing is when it cranks to the next lie it does. It's just like Happy Days references and Hi School like jokes on our show.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and then all of a sudden it becomes a little crazier, but he was still in Corey realizes Russian satellite nineteen fifty seven. He knows this, He explains, calmly, Hey, guys, relax, it's only Sputnik. Turner looks up frantically, Sputnik. Yeah, my parents told me about it. It's not a bomb, and it's not for spying. The Russians are just doing some space travel experiments and this arms race thing.
Speaker 3: Trust me.
Speaker 1: Where I'm from, no one even worries about it. And Phoene asks Corey, and where would that be, mister Pitzer Moscow. Turner yells, grab that boy, Bradley Pittzer's a spy. Eric grabs Corey and Corey tries to tell him, Eric, please, I'm your brother, Eric Ortward's comrade. You mean, it doesn't take a Harvard genius and future captain of industry like myself to realize you're a trader to these United States. Thinking on his feet, Colory Yell's flash and everyone in the hallway goes down and ducks recover and Corey runs away while he has the chance. I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it all.
Speaker 2: I want to when we get into the next scene. I want to talk about the family dynamic because I don't understand it.
Speaker 1: I will.
Speaker 3: It's a fever dream, of.
Speaker 1: Course, that.
Speaker 3: Literally, no, No, it's a fever dream. But the chickenhead makes sense.
Speaker 2: So how how who's.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's my question. I don't understand the relations.
Speaker 2: Yes, who's supposed to be related? Right? But Eric and Corey are brothers in this one?
Speaker 3: Well are they?
Speaker 1: But Eric seemed to know that, right, but Morgan Morgan does sister Morgan buys it that that's she's like my brother your hey, mom said, she says. But then but Tom Allen says he's not. He says, we have a visitor, right, Well, he's definitely not his dad. He takes the dimeback, you're not My dad didn't give me the dimeback? And then Alan and Amy are his parents?
Speaker 3: Are they?
Speaker 1: I don't I don't understand that the rest.
Speaker 2: Of it makes perfect sense agree. I agree with you, Will.
Speaker 3: Will I completely agree with you. I am right there with you.
Speaker 1: I I buy everything else and scene I was like, wait.
Speaker 3: Is the dad? And then are they?
Speaker 1: I did the exact same thing, but I I was in so funny, so funny.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you guys. Incredulity is mine from moment. Wont so right? So okay, I love that. This is where you draw the question is question is happening? Oh my god? So then we're back from the commercial. We're in the school hallway.
Speaker 1: Eric assures everyone, all right, that's why I couldn't have gotten far, and as he confidently walks away, t L says all clear. Shawnsey hits the locker behind him and Corey is hiding inside. He lets shawn Zy know he hit him right in the forehead, and Shawnzi responds, perfect name perfect. T L reminds them we got a scram before that bunch comes back. Cory says, yeah, but they'll recognize me, and t L tells him not in this clever disguise, they won't. And she pulls out those glasses that have a big nose, fuzzy eyebrows, and a mustache attached to them like Groucho marks, and they all run away quickly into the Matthew's backyard slash side yard. They land in the familiar set and Shaunzi asks why Corey wanted to come here. He explains, whenever things get crazy, it's the one place I can count on. T L excitedly asks is this the secret headquarters for you and the rest of the Russian spies? And Corey clarifies I'm not a Russian spy. Shahn Ze stops him. Hey, whatever, friends don't need to explain nothing. Cory smiles and asks, I thought you didn't have friends, and Shaunzy smiles, I didn't. Now I do.
Speaker 3: So Shawn's willing to sell out shaun Zy. Shaunzie is selling out his nation for a friend for your.
Speaker 2: Friendship man, and it also is turning on to Panga every state. It's like, She's like, why is this where You're with the other Russian spy.
Speaker 3: It's like, wow, where where listen? Friendship? It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: We have no loyalty to these United States. We only have loyalty to the sky.
Speaker 3: We just it just he took the fall for the ping pong thing, and I am d G L.
Speaker 1: T L dude.
Speaker 3: So she doesn't care. She's like, wow, wrapping your legs around him.
Speaker 2: I want to know if that was a that doesn't seem like a direction, that seemed like a Danielle thing. I gotta be honest with you.
Speaker 1: I don't know I did do that, did you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I have a picture.
Speaker 1: I have a picture doing it in a polaroid. I don't know why that was like a thing I did. Here's the nineties.
Speaker 3: The kissing in this episode. It's probably the most.
Speaker 1: Well, we don't know. You just normally can't see me behind my horse hair. Maybe I've been doing that the whole time, but I have this wig on and you're doing all the work. Ben is just like he's just taking your kiss, and you're like.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh my god, I want to l D shirt.
Speaker 1: Corey does this weird looking at t L thing again, and she snaps, I thought I told you not to look at me like that, and Corey tells her, sorry, I can't help it.
Speaker 3: You respect your boundaries. I'm just gonna stare at you creepily and it's gonna work. It's gonna win you. But I'm getting the vibe YOU'RDT. Yeah, if I annoy you and don't listen to you enough, just.
Speaker 2: Get a stare at you.
Speaker 3: That's what every woman wants.
Speaker 1: So they hear a dog barking and Eric's voice saying, come on, you can find one Russian spy your Harvard trained dogs, and Corey runs into the Matthew's kitchen, which is the same right now with fifties. Decore love this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's my favorite part. It's the redecoration and the production like this and Chubby's and the apartment. I love all of the like, but I wish he has a school, had a little bit more of it.
Speaker 2: Get it? But is it? I know? But he is it? He is the only thing throwing me about the whole God, yeah, his house.
Speaker 3: Why does he live there?
Speaker 2: And Eric because she's like dad, she's talking like their.
Speaker 3: Brother and sister.
Speaker 1: Is Eric there?
Speaker 2: Does he not know what's going on?
Speaker 3: You can't you can't question it. It's just fun. Jeez, God, you guys sticks in the mud. She's gonna go with it, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Cory opens the door, he lets himself in, yelling mom Dad. He sees treats on the table, homemade brownies. Okay, everything's gonna be all right. And this would all make more sense if it were the sixties and King and Lynn had made those brownies.
Speaker 3: I I was waiting for some kind of brownie reference. Was like, is just a reference to something from the fifties or is there some But no, he just brownies, just.
Speaker 1: Just a brownie. Morgan walks down the stairs, scolding him. Ah, Mom said no one can touch those brownies till after dinner. So she is his sister, mister right, And He's.
Speaker 3: Like, even though Eric doesn't recognize him.
Speaker 2: That's what So Eric is not part of the family, or is maybe Tom Bosley's kid, but is not Alan and Amy Russian.
Speaker 3: Kids, I know this part's rowing heart. Suddenly we need some logic. So he asks where's mom and dad?
Speaker 1: And Morgan responds Mom's out, but dad is upstairs. And then a man walks down the stairs saying, hey, kids, it's Tom Bosley.
Speaker 3: Every kid, it's like, who why does this matter? And their parents smile and not superior.
Speaker 1: He's the aforementioned dad from Happy Days. He says, Hi, kitten, Hi son, Okay son there Allowance Corey, puzzled says, but I'm not your son, and then the boss jokes, well, then give me back my dime. There's a knock at the door and Corey hopes it's his dad.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 1: It's Anson Williams. Cory says, wait a minute.
Speaker 3: He was Anton Williams.
Speaker 1: He was also on Potzy.
Speaker 3: What is Potsy? Who's Potzy? So that's a person's niche.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, rich Richie had two friends, Potzy and Ralph Mouth.
Speaker 3: Who's Richie? Richie cunning Start was the cory of who is? But I thought Richie Cunningham was who was afraid that your dad was? Your dad was afraid that you were going to be Richie Cunningham.
Speaker 2: No, I was going to be Chucky Cunningham. The first couple episodes they had a brother who then went upstairs with his basketball and you never saw him again. That was Chucky Cunningham.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Ron Howard was Richie cunning and so Potzy was his best friend. Potzy and Ralph Mouth for his two best friends. And then there was obviously there was Fonzie. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So this is the equivalent to Sean walking in to a different show, to a different show.
Speaker 1: Right, Corey says, wait a minute, you're and the man cuts him off. No, it's Anson Williams. Like I said, I was Anson Williams, not who you think I was. Let's just drop it all right, Wait what Yeah, I'm a little he wanted just about him. I think it's actually a copyright issue because we I feel like we're not allowed to use their character names.
Speaker 2: Because well, he says later cool it on the AZZI Pay.
Speaker 1: Right, he says cool it on the Otzi Pay And they call him mister B instead of mister C from Happy Days.
Speaker 2: Cause he's Tom Bosley. They're playing themselves, right, They're playing themselves.
Speaker 1: So I didn't know if this was like an inside joke that Anson Williams didn't like to be recognized and called Pozzi.
Speaker 3: Or if it was a copyright I'm going like these people are I mean just like are they going to sing? Are these the monkeys? Are they? What is happening?
Speaker 1: But like these jokes, do you think think the general population watching this as they call him in prison the gen pop? Do you think the gen pop is getting these references like, oh, that's because Anson Williams doesn't want to there was at.
Speaker 3: The end of the Monkeys episode showed up. It was like a manager for a different band in a fictional right.
Speaker 2: That was that was for the Partridge Family.
Speaker 1: Partridge Family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he was an actor who played a manager, or he wasn't actual manager for the part.
Speaker 1: He was an actor who played the manager, but he was the manager here his.
Speaker 3: Reference this is so there's so many rider I'm so miserable all week, just sitting there going like, I guess I like my hair. At least I look hot.
Speaker 2: Got that in another alternate world it would have been t L would have been d T F.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know. I'm surprised that wasn't a thing.
Speaker 2: It might have been, we just didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they saw they saw it before, so anyway. Yeah, I was a little confused about whether it was a copyright thing or whether it was an inside joke about him not wanting to be recognized. I wasn't really sure this part the scene was a little confusing for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, just a little bit. Girl.
Speaker 1: Corey's dad tells Anson just calm down, young fella and have a nice brownie. Tom Boss asks Cory, what's the.
Speaker 2: Matter with you?
Speaker 3: I was like, what is this reference? A happy Well?
Speaker 1: I think it There was that general idea of in the fifties, moms had freshly made cookies, and you know, there were always freshly baked goods when you came home from school. So I think, even like on a very surface level, it was just that, like you would come home and there'd be the smell of brownies in the kitchen because your mom had baked those.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: So cool. So spare you look like you lost something? And Corey admits I have my entire life. Morgan announces I can cheer you up and shows everyone her hula hooping. Anson tells Corey, you know, when I was down in the dumps, my parents used to say, just watch time.
Speaker 2: My favorite Lindy.
Speaker 3: I that was my favorite part of the scene is Lindsay hooping because I was like, oh Linda, Lindsay duaye knew how to the loop, and that's that's hard to do people, right.
Speaker 1: So then he Anson says, come to think of it, I didn't have any parents, not even a house. I hung out at other people's houses. Not bad really, That's a big meta Happy Days joke and also very similar to Sean's life. Sean, doesn't you know we have seen his trailer park but the yeah, okay. Morgan then shows her dad the local paper there's something you've got to see. It's a picture of Corey with the headline curly headed spy on the lamb. Corey assures them it's not true. The dad says, of course it's not. Then he walks over to the phone and with the worst phone.
Speaker 3: Acting doesn't.
Speaker 1: He just picks it up and he says, FBI please jer Hoover Tager. Yes, I'm here with Anson Williams and our Russian spy x nay on the ASI pay playing once again to this legal constraint or this joke that he doesn't like to be called potzy. I don't know, Jo, I think you need to joke.
Speaker 3: I know kig Latin was very big in the fifties. We have to ask Kendall about this.
Speaker 1: So Morgan points to Cory, you're going to jail spy, and who's the boss calms her down by saying, now, now, Morgan, he may be a Russian spy, but until they come and haul him off, he's still our guest. He liked, who's the Boss? And now in the only set left for this acid trip case jail jail.
Speaker 2: Apparently, Cory is.
Speaker 1: Locked up and clanking a mug against cell bars, saying he's innocent. Then a cop appears to tell Corey he's got visitors who claim to be your folks, and Amy and Allen w yeah.
Speaker 2: By this point, by the way, the mushrooms have fully kicked it. Oh yeah, just so you know, fullyied in. And Betsy tells this story all the time. Loved, loved doing this episode.
Speaker 3: She is phenomenal various episodes of this one. And then when she was Rosie the Riveter.
Speaker 1: R Yeah, she's They're very stuffy, very Mayberry esque, saying hi to Corey. Corey is relieved, Mom, dad, please tell them you know me. Amy smiles, Well, of course we do, don't we Alan, Alan responds, I think we'd know our own son. Corey tells the cop. You see, finally I got to tell you this nightmare was getting way out of hand. The cop walks away, and Amy comes up real close to Corey, asking through the bars in a Russian accent, do you have the pippers?
Speaker 3: Now? Don't you think you'd speak Russian? If you speak Russian, you just drop your American accent.
Speaker 2: That you can do. You can.
Speaker 3: On everything. This is that's where asking logic about language you you're so pretentious spoken Russian, slipping to a Russian accent the English.
Speaker 1: Oh you walk it speak okay, so Corey questions papers. Alan goes on, also in an accent, but.
Speaker 3: Not as good.
Speaker 1: For the American space program, and Corey asks, why are you guys talking like Boris and Natasha? And Amy says, good, he knows our secret code names. She reaches into her purse and grabs a muffin for Corey. He thanks her. He's sure it contains a secret transmitter and during the night they'll contact him and break him out. Amy clarifies, no, the muffin is to eat. You are two thin. You need to be strong for when they savagely torture you. And Alan, as.
Speaker 3: Waiting for brownies to pay off muffins, write something.
Speaker 2: Mom's make good, fifty good.
Speaker 1: That's what they do, Alan adds, and if they don't, our people will. Uh yeah, this was Betsy's accent is impeccable, and she yeah, Rusty needed Rusty could could use another take. And this is coming from someone who drops her accent halfway through the show, and he picks it up only whenever she wants, so love it. And then a siren goes off, and the cop yells, oh no, it's the big one. They all run into the cell, shouting duck and cover, allowing Corey to sneak out.
Speaker 3: Just as TL and Shawnzi arrive. They set off the alarm.
Speaker 1: Shawnzi says, let's get off this rock, and Corey asks what about the FBI? They'll recognize me. And then Tapanga reveals a mascot chicken head and she places it on Corey, telling him not in this clever chicken disguise, they.
Speaker 3: Won't And again, you're betraying our country for oh yeah, new kid.
Speaker 2: All right too, I have a story about friendship and wanting to get laid in the fifties, apparently to Panga.
Speaker 1: I mean honestly, when the chickenhead came out, I cackled. I was like, yeah, great, I love it. I love that there's a chicken head and you're gonna just tell him to put it on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then we're in Shonzie's apartment. They all run inside, Corey still in a chicken mask and clucking. Shawnzi says, Corey'll be safe in his makeout pad. It's been abandoned for years. It's Turner's apartment, but there's no sign of Turner or his stuff. T All questions what kind of a girl would come to make out here? Shaunzy presses a button and the lights go on. Music starts from a jukebox, and a couch is revealed, and so is a cheerleader.
Speaker 3: She just hangs out here waiting for Shawn's under a blanket. Yes, is she kept prisoner? Well, she keeps anytime.
Speaker 1: He sits on the couch with his captive teenager and I mean make out partner, Ti l asks Cory, so, how did you get into the spy racket? And Corey says, I'm not a Russian spy. Okay, my name is Corey Matthews. I'm from the future, and I can prove it. My mom sews my name into my underwear. Topanga takes a look and reads Eric Matthews. Coryanga doesn't just.
Speaker 2: Take a look to Panga says, I'll look at that.
Speaker 3: I'll look at it.
Speaker 2: You're right, like she's instantly trying to get in this guy.
Speaker 3: Trying to get into the pants.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, Eric Matthews. Corey says, this day just keeps getting worse and worse. Tal says, look whoever you are, wherever you're from, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that you're here. She leans in and she kisses him a big kiss, and he asks what was that for. She says, I like going to the zoo and looking at the drafts, and sometimes at night when my friends are all on dates. But I'm not because I haven't found that right boy yet. I drown my sorrows in a bowl of Rocky Road ice cream. I have zero accent in this scene because.
Speaker 2: Now you're real. This is the sang That's what.
Speaker 1: It is, the real DTF one yes, and she asks him do me a favor, would you? Will you look at me that way I don't like, and he says I thought you said it scared you, and she smiles it does. Then she pulls them in for another passionate kiss. Phoene's voice then comes on the stereo and he announces the manhunt for teenage fugitive Brad Pitzer continues, the coastguards on alert. Corey tells them, I don't understand it. Here where I'm from, we're not so worried about bombs and satellites and Russian spies. There are problems, sure, but mostly people get along the police. Spotlights start flashing outside, and Corey tells them, Now all I want to do is go back. Isn't there some way out of here here? Shawnsie looks at t L wise Man. She agrees, wise Man.
Speaker 2: This is where the story really, this is where it kicks.
Speaker 3: This is when everything starts to make sense.
Speaker 1: Everything makes sense here, showy jelous.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's really yes, Yes, let's bring it. Lett's bring it full circle.
Speaker 1: So back at Slims. The trio run in and Shawnzi points Corey in the direction of the wise Man. Mister Williams is there, dressed in a beret, dark sunglasses, and he has bongos.
Speaker 3: Now is he supposed to be blind?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't think so, because Alex went on to play. But I don't think he is. For a moment, I thought maybe this was like a precursor to that where he was doing this because he's gone.
Speaker 1: I think he's just hep Yeah, he's just just a cool guy and he's a revolutionary era poet, so I think he's just doing that kind of stuff. Cory asks, excuse me, mister Wiseman. William says, I'm playing a song man. And he bangs on the bongos twice, then announces all right, now I'm finished. The crowd snaps for him, and Corey asks, wait a minute, you're the wise Man, and he says, no, I am clearly the Hepcat, which is a fun little reference. He continues that there is the wise Man, and then Pat Maurita turns around. He is the wise Man, channeling his karate kid roll of mister Miagi. Shawnzi explains, you, mister wise Man, our friend here is in a lot of trouble and we figured you're the only one. But then he cuts Shawnsy off to say a wise man sees a young boy in trouble and now he wants to go back.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: The young boy's name Matthews. Corey is amazed. Cory says, the last thing I remember I was plugging in the microwave and I must have gotten a shock or something. Wise Man interrupt him and says best way out is the way you came in t L and Shawnsy ask, huh, and this is where I'm breaking. I'm like hiding behind Rider's shoulder. Saw that then I'd try to hide my mouth.
Speaker 2: You're DTL, You're down to laugh.
Speaker 1: Down to laugh right now, Yeah, gir.
Speaker 2: GTL.
Speaker 1: Wise Man continues, get another microwave oven and give yourself another shock. He then takes his wise Man outfit off to reveal a cooking uniform, now referencing his Happy Day's role, and he tells Corey, listen, I ain't got time for all this. I got customers. Corey questions he works here, and the hepcat tells him wise Man got to make a.
Speaker 2: Living, did you writer? I know you're a big fan of Weezer. Don't you remember the Buddy Holly video?
Speaker 3: I remember hearing about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it takes place at the fifties diner with everybody from Happiness essentially, and it's Pat Marita.
Speaker 3: Who like leads them like Jones directed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good video, great video.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Corey asks himself another shock. Why didn't I think of that? Wise Man interjects, you did? This is your fantasy. See it's a fantasy, fever dream. We get The answer.
Speaker 2: Makes sense, all makes sense if you follow it through.
Speaker 1: Shawn Zi tells Corey, I know you got to go back, but uh, I sure hate to lose a friend like you, and Corey tells him you won't I mean, I think we could be friends just about any time, and Til follows up, So I guess this really is goodbye? Huh? He nods, yeah, I think so. She tries to convince him, if you stayed, I could really make it worth your while.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, so in the fifties the panga was willing to do yes, And it's only in the present homely.
Speaker 1: Yep, only in the present. Corey laughs and then pleads, because you hold that thought for about forty years. He admits, you'll never find out about this anyway, and then he leans in and kiss kisses her.
Speaker 2: Why does he say that, I don't know, because they've already been making out most of the time kissing. He's cheating on you with you.
Speaker 3: You're never going to find out about this.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't think about that aspect that it's like he cheated on me even though we weren't broken up. And it's me right right, I'm still okay, alright, You're never gonna find out about this anyway.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So then we hear dogs barking, we see police lights outside. Corey tells them, Okay, I gotta get out of here. Wait a minute, it's nineteen fifty seven, there is no microwave. Wise Man looks at him and says, oopsie. Corey walks up to him and asks what kind of wise man says oopsie? Wise Man questions, what do you want me to say? Wax on, wax off?
Speaker 2: Get it?
Speaker 3: He was reference reference right in karate Kid writer reference. That's rights. I will make all right sense. I will admit rights onety. Funny you just you just last, no matter, no lighter.
Speaker 1: You are right, you have a point here. It's one reference too far.
Speaker 2: No, he still like it.
Speaker 1: I think it's just just one too far. Just if they just told that one thing back.
Speaker 3: Twenty five too far, like just have a self contained time travel story. I mean, I think our characters being nineteen fifties versions. That's good, that's funny, that's cool, but it's you know, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Corey starts his mad dash, but Eric and Poenie stop him at the stairs. Eric blowses with and shouts, there he is Phoeney tells him another a plus mister Matthews everyone in Slim's, including a mister including a returning mister Turner and Alan and Amy. Hopefully Dusty's there too, And I just didn't see him. He starts. They start to point and shout spy, spy shay.
Speaker 2: S.
Speaker 3: Corey yells, I'm Corey, I'm Corey.
Speaker 1: He's backed into a wall and hits his head and we start to hear Amy's voice, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Head, damn, brain damage. Not not electric shock yep, Okay, it's not really.
Speaker 2: Time travel, it's just it's he's dream in a comame.
Speaker 1: It's a dream. And then we're in the Matthews living room. Corey is laying on the couch unconscious. Little Wizard of Oz reminiscent. Amy's patting his head and Corey says, I'm not Brad Pitt. I'm not Brad Pitt. Morgan responds, well.
Speaker 2: Duh, actually, well duh. It was great.
Speaker 1: Corey sits up and Alan tells him to take it easy. You had quite a jolt there, Sean's laugh Yeah you were laughs, Yeah, you were out cold. Corey looks at him and asks Shauncey. Sean responds yes, hee, yes. Corey asks you're always there for me, aren't you, and Sean says hey, and he gives him a thumb up with a Calm Fonsie impression.
Speaker 3: Go on, do it?
Speaker 2: Do it?
Speaker 1: Riter, No, come on rider. Corey scans the room. She's here, I know she's here. Topanga without bangs again, walks in and tells him she got some more ice, some more ice. She asks, are you okay? Corey's looking at her and smiling like a creep again, and she asks why are you looking at me like that? And Corey says, I will always look at you like this, and she says, well, stop because you're giving me the heb gebis. He smiles and says good, which would also be a good ending to a horror movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much. I'm gonna keep looking at you. I want to look at you, and.
Speaker 1: It'll here when he shocked himself, we weren't right, No, he didn't know himself.
Speaker 3: He shocked himself with the microwave.
Speaker 1: Right the first time. Yeah, we heard, but you guys are showed up at his house. Well, no, they called us.
Speaker 3: They called us. Your best friend life over here is asleep on the couch. Get some ice.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: We're in the Matthew's kitchen. Corey is on the computer, a Model T laptop and Eric, and he tells Eric he's almost done with his term paper on the space program. Eric warns him, you'll be all done if you don't plug that in. The batteries are low. Man, gosh, do you guys remember those days. Yeah, whef your computer died, you just lost everything.
Speaker 3: That's it, just forever. And I would have papers in my computer would just lock up on me. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Corey tells Eric, thank you, he saved his life. Corey grabs the cord to plug the computer in, and once he puts it in the outlet, he gets electrocuted again. He freaks out and looks around, saying not again.
Speaker 3: Where am i?
Speaker 1: Amy and Alan Russian asking Corey if he's okay. Corey tells him, yeah, still here. Maybe they should get this fixed. Maybe he's with the electrical.
Speaker 2: Current at the Matthews house and people are constantly getting hurt.
Speaker 1: Alan says, good, well, let's keep it that way. Corey says out loud, they know me, no foreign accents. Everything's gonna be a okay, And then he hears Phoene saying, mister Matthews. He turns around and Feoenie is wearing a spacesuit. Phoene grabs Corey and I.
Speaker 3: Thought this was a reference to the show that Bill did do you remember Captain Nice or whatever it did Nice? Yeah, I thought maybe because he wore an outfit made something like that. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So Phoene grabs Corey and he talks into his watch, Captain Feoenie. Here, I have located the Earth Alien and I will be escorting him back to the mother ship. Corey is confused, mister Feenie, Earth Alien, I'm Phoene cuts him off, telling his crew to beam them up. Corey shrugs, sure, go ahead. A beam of light shines down on them, and they disappear in thin air like they're from Like there's season one, Mincus and that is the greatest episode of.
Speaker 3: TS ever made. Again's world gets no emmy love. I don't understand.
Speaker 2: I bought the whole thing, except that I didn't understand the family dynamic. I will, you will, But I bought it all.
Speaker 1: Otherwise I was cook, line and sinker.
Speaker 3: Yeah me too.
Speaker 2: I still don't understand why Danielle's character was down to fish the entire time.
Speaker 1: It's Danielle to Pang official. That's what it stands for. That's Danielle Topega official. Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, You can follow us on Instagram Pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com, and we have March.
Speaker 2: Do you have the merchandise?
Speaker 1: Please join us for our next episode recap, which will be season three episode nineteen. I Never Sang for My Legal Guardian, which originally aired May third, nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 2: Is that the actual name of the episode?
Speaker 1: I never.
Speaker 2: Know. I don't think I've ever heard that.
Speaker 3: I've never heard ever before.
Speaker 1: I know, I don't know it either. I have no idea what it's about, not even a clue. Cool, weird, Well, send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all. Pod dismissed, You're dead, Brad. Podmets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksch, producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World superfan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeats World show or email us at Podmeats Worldshow at gmail dot com.