Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. We are thankful that you are here, and we want to give a big, big thanks to our super producer, mister Max Williams.
Speaker 3: Gobble Gobble mother Fleckers.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say that, but I made the sound instead, and then you said the things, so it all worked out.
Speaker 5: We got all the flavors of Thanksgiving, so it's your favorite turkeys back again. As you're old Brown, I am Ben Bollen. We decided toward the end of the year that we're going to do a bit of a grab bag.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: We do a lot of deep dives on specific things, but Thanksgiving, I think for all of us here in the US, is something that is so normalized that we don't often think about how it came to be or why, Like why turkey is one of the big questions.
Speaker 4: Christopher Columbus and the Native Americans had a lovely sit down dinner together place Matts and.
Speaker 2: You will see it on their TikTok.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, No, it's true and it's interesting too.
Speaker 4: We see this a lot in ridiculous history how things that were essentially advertisements have taken the place of like religious holidays or evolved into such. And Thanksgiving is no exception. The origins are murky at best. And then what we ultimately know as the modern Thanksgiving, which is a very very American thing, is largely bolstered by advertising dollars and sort of again, companies being first tomorrow to capitalize on this stuff and then elevate it to this, you know, absolutely meteoric level for their own monetary gains.
Speaker 2: And so with that, and that's an excellent explanation. With that, here are some things that we find ridiculous and historical about Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving in the United States is usually about two things. It's going to be about fellowship and food. Right Thanksgiving, no matter how you celebrate, it usually involves a big, big meal. And in again in the United States, that meal for a while now has had turkey as the centerpiece. But how did that become the centerpiece? I think to answer that we have to look at the first Thanksgiving we do.
Speaker 4: And before we do that, I just want to really quickly say, there's this internet. There's YouTube chef that I really like. With this very hard to fully place accent, like is he French?
Speaker 6: Is he Italian?
Speaker 4: Sometimes he says sockre blue, sometimes he says Mama Mia. His name is Chef Jean Pierre, and he has a really great video on how to make a beef Wellington if you're down with stuff like that. But he also has a great video on how to make gravy properly, and he posits that the whole like Thanksgiving fatigue that sets in after that meal is largely because people are putting flour in their gravy and not cooking it, and then it becomes in your stomach, this like heavy kind of paste then gives you the sleepies. So if you don't cook your flower that you're putting in your gravy properly, it's gonna be raw flower and it's gonna make you feel like crappy.
Speaker 2: And the first Thanksgiving they probably already knew how to make some form of gravy, right.
Speaker 6: But he's been the drippin's you know, sure.
Speaker 2: Nothing wrong with that gets some giblet action going, yeah, But what we do know is that there was a real meal shared between the Pilgrim settlers at Plymouth Colony in current day, Massachusetts and the Wampanog people's and in this meal, there was no turkey being served so far as we know, even though turkey was clearly a bird in that area at that time. Instead, the Wampa dogg bought deer and the Pilgrims provided wild fowl. So technically maybe that could have been turkeys, but historians for a while now have been convinced fowl probably meant duck or geese, because for a feast, especially in the United Kingdom, goose was historically considered the holiday flex.
Speaker 4: One million percent, the Christmas goose, the prized holiday goose. Whatever the actual meat may have been, we're talking about gainy, dark meat kind of birds, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know, the weird thing about what we have sort of mythologized as the first Thanksgiving in the US is that the Pilgrims at the time didn't seem to think this was a foundational holiday. You can't find any real reference to it except for one letter written by a colonist named Edward Winslow and to him, and you can see excerpts of this letter to him, the Pilgrims were just giving thanks for an autumn harvest. The way that they did back in Europe the way that you did forever as far as they knew.
Speaker 4: Interesting though, that it wouldn't have been seen as momentous given that the uh, you know, the native people of this land did participate in it with them, rather than going to war with them. So it certainly would have represented some semblance of copaseticness, if that's even a word between these new colonizers. Let's just be real, and you know, the folks that were already there, the predated them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but to get really dark here, I mean, are we sure they weren't just like trying to cough on them the whole time? I considering what the Pilgrims were trying to do to the Native Americans at this point in time, it's just like, let's have them over give them smallpox.
Speaker 6: Now find a question that there was some of that. Maybe.
Speaker 4: I mean I'm saying is that is certainly part of the dark historical context of a lot of this kind of colonization. It's just absolute disregard for these individuals, looking at them as nothing but an inconvenience, something to be overtaken. But I can see how revisionist history would tend towards this whole idea of this.
Speaker 6: No, it was fine. See see it was fine.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, a lot of those European colonists were terrible at trying to exist in what is now called North America, and if native populations had not saved them, they would have starved. Shout out Ronoke.
Speaker 4: No indeed, oh gosh, I believe we have a stuff that I want you to know episode about Roanoke and what was.
Speaker 6: The word that was a crowatan? No?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was carved on a tree and this whole like missing colony and all that stuff. Very interesting stuff. So do check that out on stuff they don't want you to know if you're interested in sort of a darker side. We're not going to get mega dark in this episode, but there's always some darkness that tends to creep in when you're talking about this kind of thing.
Speaker 2: And so we know they probably didn't have turkey. They definitely had birds. They thought this was a regular celebratory harvest meal. The concept of Thanksgiving as a singular day celebrated now confusingly on the fourth Thursday of November every year. This came from a plural definition days of Thanksgiving and Days of Thanksgiving like holidays, were pretty common for New England colonists from Europe, and people always had their own unofficial Thanksgiving celebrations. For quite a while, few people associated them with the Pilgrims out in Plymouth. By the time we get the eighteen hundreds, however, turkey becomes a popular dish to serve during these celebratory meals, and there are a couple easy reasons for this. First, the bird is plentiful, like there are a lot of turkeys in the northeast of this country now that we're even more back then, there were at least ten million turkeys in America on the American continent at the time of European contact. And then secondly, turkey's on a family farm. You can always kill them and eat them if times are tough. They don't have the same advantages as hens and live cows. Cows can make milk, hens can lay eggs, They are therefore useful. Turkeys were generally just raised for their meat. And then, of course, the third thing is the size. A single turkey is big enough to feed your whole family. It's an instant combo meal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so is a goose. Though, right, not so much a duck. You need moreultiple ducks.
Speaker 4: But a goose is pretty large, so I could see this analogical. Yeah, between the turkey and the goose. Goose is a fattier bird though, And it's also I think a little even more gamey than a turkey. Turkey is going to give you a mix of the white meat in the dark meating. It really is kind of like a perfect holiday bird in terms of like one ring to rule them all.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, and turkeys still aren't synonymous with Thanksgiving. They're not yet mythologized, right, It's just now it's a free for all meal for a.
Speaker 4: While, Dickens maybe that led to that sort of a zeitgeistiness of it all.
Speaker 2: That's one theory that Dickens wrote a Christmas carol in eighteen forty three, and this bolsters the idea of turkey as a holiday meal. Similar. It's similar advertising to how Coca Cola is responsible for the modern Western image of Santa Claus.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, boy are they ever? And another writer somewhat contemporary with Dickens, Sarah Josepha Hale, may have also played an important part in a novel that she wrote in eighteen twenty seven called Northwood, where there is an entire chapter talking about New England Thanksgiving, where in a roasted turkey quote was placed at the head of the table. So this is all also very kind of proto Norman Rockwell, kind of like, you know, the family gathered around carving the bird, you know, living in the sort of idyllic form of like American you know, utopia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And the idea is in her novel, the idea is that this is an aspirational thing. That's all right, this is what you do if you are doing well. We mentioned Sarah Josepha Hale earlier because she began campaigning to make Thanksgiving a national holiday in the US. She said, this is going to bring the country read together, and I think the country's in a divisive time. History would prove her correct because of the Civil War. In eighteen sixty three, Abraham Lincoln, famous trash talker and amateur wrestler, is also president and he says, he says, Okay, Thanksgiving, it's going to be a thing now. We're all going to celebrate it because we are Americans. And if you want to hear more about Sarah Hale's journey to make Thanksgiving a national holiday. Check out our earlier episode from twenty twenty one. Oh excuse me, it's a two.
Speaker 4: Part series that's right on how Thanksgiving became a national holiday. So that did happen, of course, as we all know. So let's backcheck a little bit. In eighteen forty one, there was a collection of writings from various pilgrims that did refer to that meal and the Winslow letter that we mentioned earlier, he described it as the first Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he didn't specifically mention turkey. His fellow colonist, William Bradford, does refer to turkeys in Plymouth, and he says, he literally says, we had quote a great store of wild turkeys in his journal, which has eventually reprinted in eighteen fifty six. And so as this, as this correspondence from these pilgrims gets reprinted and enters the zeitgeist, people start linking the idea of Pilgrims and turkeys and Thanksgiving in pop culture, and so it becomes a story Americans tell themselves. It also doesn't hurt that turkey is pretty affordable at this time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And like we said, it packs a punch gastrologically speaking, is that a word gastronomically? Well, yeah, got potato potato, And it also probably didn't hurt. You know, once the first child's handprint was turned into a turkey, all bets.
Speaker 6: Were off and it was just, you know, off like a like a rocket.
Speaker 2: It was off like a rocket. And there's a snowball effect because, just like chickens, modern livestock practices have made turkeys larger and more affordable than ever, So they are going to probably be a part of at least American Thanksgiving for decades to come. But there's more to this story than that. Another part of the Thanksgiving experience where mythos in the United States is the famous Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Do you guys watch that when it comes out?
Speaker 6: I love a parade that's a.
Speaker 4: Thanksgiving well that likes another Max Easter egg in the outline a little bit later.
Speaker 6: Who you're off man? Who wants to wake up early for a dang parade? You know, on a holiday? It seems absurd.
Speaker 4: It is nice that you can watch it in person, but God, who are these people that brave these lines and stand on the barricade just to see the Bart Simpson you know, float across the Fifth Avenue.
Speaker 6: It's a weird one.
Speaker 4: It is interesting, you know, Brian Gumbole the commentary, all of that stuff. It has become a tradition, and traditions are just based on time. They're just based on doing a thing over and over again for a long time and again. It requires being kind of like in on the ground floor, which is what the Macy's Corporation was. They weren't the first parade. We'll describe a sort of dinkier parade that took place, but they're the big one and they did so well with their first one that they say we're going to do this from now until the end of time.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, okay, can I tell a story? Can I tell Sart's parade story?
Speaker 7: And so in the relationship between Alex and I, he's generally the one telling embarrassing stories about me.
Speaker 2: So that's Alex Williams, who composed this slapping soundtrack.
Speaker 3: And is my older brother.
Speaker 7: So when we were kids, like both still in elementary school, there was this fourth July parade that would go through and don't want the majorish road that we have up here, And one year Alex thought would be really fun and cool to volunteer to be one of the guys who follows behind the horses, cleaning up their crap as they go.
Speaker 6: Whoa, that's yeah.
Speaker 3: He thought he thought that was fun. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think he was probably third or fourth grade, like we were both pretty young. He only did it one year, was to say, yeah, so ridiculously early, and it was volunteer only.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't think he got paid to do any of it. He just walked like miles and cleaned up horse crush.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your service, Alex. Also, before we get too far away, I do want to put in it, just to close the loop. Put in my two cents about the Macy's Day thing. I also would never go in person, but I have historically woken up to watch it on television because it was a formative family experience or my close members of my family have passed on some quite recently. But there's a comfort to it, and usually I'm up cooking at that point anyway. So shout out to you folks who feel a relationship to your family by watching the parade.
Speaker 4: I feel you on that totally, and I have, you know, since some members of my family have also passed on become the person that does that and does all the cooking, and so there is something too like, yeah, if you're gonna make a big Thanksgiving meal for a big family, a bunch of people, you gotta start early. I mean, it takes a long time for that turkey to cook and rest properly and all of that. So what a pleasant thing to have on in the background, you know, as a sort of televisual comfort food of its own.
Speaker 2: And let's go to Christopher Klein who has a great article explaining the evolution of the Macy's Day parade for history dot Com. We'll paraphrase a little bit here, but he dates it back to the Roaring twenties. Nobody knew the Great Depression was coming unless you listen to stuff they don't want you to know. Kidding, kidding. So Macy's at the time is an iconic department store at New York City, and they say, Okay, we're going to acquire our competitors, because this time in American history is all about monopolies. We're going to open regional locations, but our flagship store is going to stay in Manhattan. They did such great business that nineteen twenty four. We talked about this in a previous episode. They expanded to cover an entire city block, and they were calling themselves the world's largest store, and so they wanted to Yeah, they wanted to show off their humility, I guess.
Speaker 6: But again like to the whole like first to market our ground floor thing. They just had.
Speaker 4: They didn't even have to get specific about it, just the world's largest store, big store, big origin of the big box store. So in order to do that, you know, they had to really put their money where their mouth is, and they did that in the form of their flagship store on had Or in Herald Square in Manhattan. It did really, really, really good business, became this iconic location still is today. It expanded in nineteen twenty four, became Remember we talked about that. I think we talked about that recently in Spike stores where there was like an awning of some kind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for getting titled.
Speaker 4: I think it used to be like a it was a sunglass. It was different, little weird things.
Speaker 7: At one point actually where that episode helped me think of this tangent point.
Speaker 6: Well, it's great, it's a great story.
Speaker 4: They expanded to cover an entire city block that stretched from Broadway all the way to Seventh Avenue along thirty fourth Street. And again they got to do things big if they're going to be seen as the world's largest store, to showcase it's one million square feet of retail space and to get enough bodies in there to justify its existence, uh and move some merch.
Speaker 6: They had to take it above and beyond.
Speaker 4: They had to kind of next level in the form of a parade, because who doesn't leve a parade besides people that have to clean up horsecrap.
Speaker 2: And so they plan this kind of pr public relations, propaganda, hearts and minds campaign, and a parade is included in that. But their first parade actually occurs not on Thanksgiving but during Christmas, and they call it their Christmas Parade, and they hope this will get people shopping at Macy's for the holidays. If you want to look at the first store sponsored Thanksgiving parade, you have to actually go to a totally different corporate outfit over in Philly, the Gimbal Brothers department store stages a Thanksgiving procession in nineteen twenty. You know, if you didn't know about the modern day Macy's day Thanksgiving parade. You'd be impressed with this. Fifteen cars, fifty people. You got a Santa Claus plays a fireman dressed as Santa Claus, and they're doing the same thing. They're trying to get the public to notice Gimbal Brothers department store and shop there. And of course there's a lot of parallel thinking because this is a great idea. J. L. Hudson's department store. Over in Detroit they do something similar, just like four years later, in nineteen twenty four, but in New York. The only Thanksgiving parade that had ever happened before was this weird, more grassroots level thing where children painted their faces. We talked about this in the previous episode and doned tattered clothing and they said, we are ragamuffins.
Speaker 6: Can we have.
Speaker 2: Anything for Thanksgiving? They went door to door asking for apples and candy and pennies back when pennies were worth something.
Speaker 4: So this was sort of part of that whole precursor to Halloween thing kind of.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that whole thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's actually the other episode that motivated this section as well. I drew on two different episodes to motivate me to think of this topic.
Speaker 2: And once we get through the parade spoiler, we are going to get to football, which is part of the covenant we made with you for this episode, Max.
Speaker 7: I really think we should title this episode Thanksgiving twenty twenty three, the episode Max makes Nolan Ben talk about football.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, I write the titles though I mean good luck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I input them.
Speaker 2: I can change them, Yes, the same access.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 6: Let's call it forth our threat throwing some lobbin some threats afternoon. So let's set the scene right, Yeah. So it's it's November twenty seventh, nineteen twenty four. It's around nine in the morning, it's a nice day, the sun's out, and Macy's says, we're going to give a particular Thanksgiving treat to all the ragamuffins of New York City.
Speaker 4: That's right in the form of a procession, you know. So we've got police escorts that lead this parade from the intersection of one hundred and forty fifth Street and Covenant Avenue. The Macy's Christmas Parade, as it was then known, actually took place during the time of a lot of church services, but it gave folks in attendance plenty of time to get home for the big game.
Speaker 6: The football I suppose game. Yeah, Okay, Max's noughty.
Speaker 2: And this thing is interesting because people are kind of looking at it as a diversion right between church services and between those big sports games. Macy's has promised people that if they attend the parade, they will see a quote Marathod of Mirth, and they did a lot of pr for this. They took out full page newspaper advertisements. The parade route itself was about six miles long, so much shorter than the twenty six mile length of other parades, and it was a pretty long hike if you're in the parage, because you're marching from Harlem to Herald Square. There were a bunch of people who were standing out to watch this, and if you were just a spectator, it wasn't going to eat up your entire morning, because if you stand in one stationary spot and watch the entirety of the parade, it only it's only about two city blocks long, so you can go see that and then boom you're out. You're ready for the game.
Speaker 4: That's right, and you know, New York is a reasonably decent place to stay. Something like this without it being incredibly disruptive because so many people take public transit.
Speaker 6: Anyway, it's a real walking city. You know.
Speaker 4: The city is laid out and relatively well planned city blocks, so you know it works. I mean, New York's a nightmare to drive in on a good day. So it's like it's you know, it's not the same as like a maybe more of a car centric city like Atlanta, having like a bicycle marathon or something where it literally shuts down traffic in places that you'd used to be able to pass through.
Speaker 6: So it you know, it kind of makes sense.
Speaker 2: They did some things that the modern day parades just don't do anymore. I mean, yeah, they had themes that speak to children. They had a lot of Mother Goose characters, you know, the old woman who lived in a shoe and so on. They also had employees of Macy's dressed as cowboys and knights and clowns. But here's what they don't do in the modern parade anymore. Macy's got animals on loan from the Central Park Zoo. They had real bears and camels and elephants, and this became a circus. There were bands that would play as the march continued, and at the very end of the parade, because this is like a Christmas parade for them, at this point, there's our number one guy, our protagonist, our main character, Santa Claus, and he's sitting in a sleigh with reindeer on top of a mountain of ice. So this is pretty epic if you're a child. I think this would be way cooler if you're a kid than seeing the sports game.
Speaker 6: What do you guys think for kids?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know, if you have like a dad or grandpa or whatever that's in the football and you might get into it at an early age. But even then, I would argue that dancing bears and elephants and camels and monkeys are more entertaining than you know, helmet clad footballers.
Speaker 2: And so we fast forward. It's about noon. Oh let's uh Max, can we do an inappropriate almost Anio Morricone vibe?
Speaker 6: Perfect? Hi knew?
Speaker 2: The parade finally arrives at the end of its run. It's in front of Macy's Herald Square store. There are ten thousand people cheering Santa Claus. As he gets out of his sleigh. He gets crowned. For some reason. The King of the Kiddies, kiddies, and he climbs the ladder. Yeah, yeah, it's a little weird. And he sits on a old throne that is on top of the marquee above the store's new entrance on thirty fourth.
Speaker 4: Street, that's right near Seventh Avenue, and he plays it he plays it trump.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: He was doing a lot of gigs of like pick up studio gigs at the.
Speaker 4: Time, exactly sitting in at the Blue Note or whatever. I don't know, Birdland, I don't know if those existed at that time, but yeah.
Speaker 6: This was the signal to unveil. I was referred to as the fair Frolics of wonder Town.
Speaker 4: Catching Indeed, it literally that's in there in parentheses in the title. It's it's, it's it's the silent part that we just said out loud. And this was you know, we know about this too.
Speaker 6: This is very.
Speaker 4: Popular on on Fifth Avenue and in department stores in New York. Uh, the massive window display is becoming New York tradition, you know, a very retail centric New York tradition.
Speaker 6: Again, we said it at the top.
Speaker 4: A lot of these traditions are retail ecentric, whether it be you know, the Turkey interests of the world or you know, the department stores.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the parade doesn't get a lot of attention in the press outside of those advertisements that Macy's pays for. I think they only get two sentences in the New York Herald the next day. But the good people of Macy's and their corporate board, they have a banner year of profit with this. The kids are going nuts, which means their parents go nuts, and they rush to this huge window to see to see the setup, the fair frolics of Wondertown, which includes stuff you can buy in the store. Genius. Do we want to talk a little bit about the guy who designed that one?
Speaker 6: I think it's neat.
Speaker 4: I was just googling him because I wasn't familiar with this guy, Tony sarg who was a German American puppeteer and illustrator and just kind of you know, like almost like a what do they call those people at Disney Imagine Imagine her, you know what I mean? And that is sort of what this is. We're talking marionettes of Mother Goose and all of those sort of nursery rhyme type themes and Christmas elves and all of the like you know, on these mechanized kind of conveyor belt situations that have only got more modernized and elaborate over the years. But man, it would have been Can you imagine seeing something like that as a kid. It absolutely is magic, but it's magic in service of.
Speaker 2: Like and this idea. Even though, again as I said earlier, even though the New York Herald and other like journalistic sources aren't reporting on this parade very much at all, Macy's realizes this is amazing for their bottom line, and so later they announced another big newspaper advertisement. The very next day, they say, good people of New York, we are going to have a parade again the next Thanksgiving.
Speaker 6: We dare not team.
Speaker 2: It's excess would be.
Speaker 6: So great, great, great, great great, And it.
Speaker 2: Becomes a tradition. At first, it's the Christmas Parade, and everybody loves it, except, as one researcher notes, the zoo animals and.
Speaker 4: The people cleaning up the pooh of the zoo animals, and just you know, people who maybe don't like crowds, you know, people who would find something like this disruptive. Basically a bunch of scrooges if you ask me, you know, Max is pointing to himself.
Speaker 6: Max is our resident scrooge. But we love him dearly.
Speaker 4: But yeah, And the only way to keep doing a thing like this is to escalate it.
Speaker 6: Year over year.
Speaker 4: It gets bigger, more, you know, grandiose, and the window you know, dressings get more and more insane and elaborate, you know, and cut to now where the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade is almost it's just synonymous with the holiday.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: It is an as American as Thanksgiving techi an apple pie.
Speaker 2: And apples are from Kazakhstan American, so there's a question I set apple pie now y yeah, yeah, oh yeah. And there's a reason that there are balloons in the parade instead of animals balloons.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Apparently these animals who had to get abducted basically and taken on this non consensual six mile jaunt, they were frightening some of the children. So eventually they were replaced by big, big character balloons, and these became the marquee attractions of the parade in later years. I think the first one that really set the tone for everybody was Felix the Cat designed by the same guy who made that famous store window display for Macy's.
Speaker 4: And that was This is news to me. I was not familiar with Sarg. I did not realize there was a singular vision behind you know what ultimately hasn't really changed much around this, the window set ups and the and the balloon animals, the giants, you know, larger than life balloon animals. This guy, Sar really was like the imagineer of the the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
Speaker 6: And it's funny. In my mind sometimes I think.
Speaker 4: Of it as the Macy's Day Thanksgiving Parade, and that's funny because it's like it's wrong, but it really is. It's much more about It's Macy's Day, y'all, come shop at Macy's. The thanksgivingness of it is irrelevant. I mean, it's not irrelevant. It's just sort of an afterthought, you know.
Speaker 3: Side note.
Speaker 6: I got the white pants from Macy's.
Speaker 4: Yeah you did, now those gallows hold it up, buddy, you stained them up?
Speaker 3: No, no, And there's there's a surprise addendum to them.
Speaker 6: So okay, okay, to the past.
Speaker 3: Yea, yeah, you'll see it. You'll see it soon, all right.
Speaker 2: I almost worry white my white pants for you. Max. That sounds weird out of context, but uh, but they're an investment and they're a dangerous game. So if you go to the Macy's parade now it is the Thanksgiving Day parade. There are balloons, there are bands, there are celebrity commentators, cheerleaders show up, and Santa Claus is still the main act. And the idea is, if you're a kid, that his arrival in Harold Square also heralds the beginning of the Christmas season in New York. And before we go from today's episode, which we hope finds you well and mid family, friend and food and fellowship, we have a part of a bargain we need to hold up, and that is to talk about Thanksgiving and football. We don't mean football the way the rest of the world means football. We mean American football very much, not soccer. It is the most ad riddled professional sport on the planet.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Max described it as America's favorite life shortening ad delivery method, which is spearheaded by the National Football League or the NFL. He also refers to it as a joyless cash ground. How do you really feel, Max?
Speaker 7: The funny things I watched so much football, But I am not delusion to the fact that. I mean, there's a reason why soccer or real football is not big in this country. It's because it's really bad at putting ads in. And the NFL is huge. Granted, NFL not as bad as college football. College football is embarrassing American football, especially on Fox. College football on Fox is horrible. I just watched Penn State Michigan this past weekend.
Speaker 3: Awful.
Speaker 2: Well, what are they going to do? Pay their athletes? College football?
Speaker 6: Come on, it's just own conversation.
Speaker 4: Sure, but is it the reason that that football, American football is uniquely suited for this is because it sort of exists in these little spurts, little fits and starts, and then there's commentary, commentary, commentary, and then go and then it's like thirty seconds, you know, and then not another opportunity for an AD or an ad placement or just like an endorsement of some kind.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's the point is making with like that the ad riddled thing. It's it's a known problem, and it is in a way because of that commodification. You could argue it's the more dangerous Thanksgiving Day parade Max, your question was why do the Cowboys, the Dallas Cowboys, and the Detroit Lions always play on Thanksgiving? This is something that I was not aware of now, of course, not being a sportsman of this stripe myself. I don't know very much about American football or these traditions, but it dates back to the nineteen thirties.
Speaker 6: Max with the fact says, if you would.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so that the Lions, they actually began the tradition in nineteen thirty four because their owner, George A. Richards, was just like, we need more fans. I mean, so behind the scenes, the Lions are like the butt of the joke franchise in Detroit historically, because you know, the Tigers are huge, the Red Wings are huge, Pistons are pretty.
Speaker 2: Popular, kind of like the Atlanta Falcons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or for years it was the Hawks, was that.
Speaker 7: One, But the Lions are the blue guys, right right, And so his idea was it's like, how do I get more people here? And he's like, let's do the game on Thanksgiving. But he was a part owner in an NBC affiliate, so he was like, hey, NBC, you want something. It would have been radio, right, Yeah, at this point, Yeah, like, why don't you just play this game because you have nothing else to run right now, you just played this Lions game everywhere. And the funny thing is he did so early on that no one else. It's just like, you know, this is one of these things now that if you went to the NFL right now and try to do it, like, hey, the Atlanta Falcons not play on Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: They just laughing out of the building, right, No they don't.
Speaker 2: No, they don't have enough money to make that happen, they would say.
Speaker 7: Right, and look, you know the NFL like barely survived World War two and stuff, so there is like, sure, let's do this.
Speaker 2: So now the Detroit Lions are staples of Thanksgiving, right and as you said, Max, the Cowboys themselves are a regular on this holiday. But the Cowboys tradition, according to the research, began much later in nineteen sixty six. Could you tell us a little bit more about that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So it's like, you know, the Cowboys are just looking at the Lions for making a ton of money, and they're like, oh, we gotta make a ton of money. That's kind of the cowboys approach is to just do what everybody else's done. So their general manager, whose name is no Joke text shram.
Speaker 2: Love it ten ten no notes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he himself too, is like, okay, well, the year is nineteen sixty six, there's only one game going on Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: He goes, why can't we have to So they just do it, and they do it at the Connon Bowl.
Speaker 7: And the thing about Texas is Texas, like, especially in the Dallas area, They've always had massive stadiums and being Texas Dallastaire, there's a ton of people, so they can sell out these games all the time.
Speaker 3: So everyone looks at They're like, oh, this is a great idea.
Speaker 7: And so since then they just said Cowboys, you can play, except for nineteen seventy five nineteen seventy seven when the Saint Louis Cardinals were awarded this game.
Speaker 3: The Saint Louis.
Speaker 7: Chargins would of course become the Arizona Cardinals, and Saint Louis we get the Saint Louis Rams, who would become the La Rams. And if I'm twisting the knife on any Saint Louis fans, well sorry, I don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you look real torn up there, Max.
Speaker 6: Max with the facts that sneaking in the phone, and he's fallen knowledge.
Speaker 3: It's just for you right now here with the fact.
Speaker 4: And uh, we kind of tricked you into not making us talk about football that much.
Speaker 3: So oh crap, we got you.
Speaker 2: I got you back, man. There is in fact a third game, as you point out, yay prime time matchup included in two thousand and six. This adds more holiday exposure for the league, and it has bumped up the appearances for the rest of the NFL on Thanksgiving. So now the Cowboys and the Lions don't necessarily always rule the roost, right.
Speaker 6: If you say so, I'm kidding. I've got no problem. It's history, man.
Speaker 4: And actually, I think football is sort of fun to watch if you're with people that are really into it, you know, like I've watched a Super Bowl from time to time, and if you if you if you're around people that get excited about it, it's hard not to get excited.
Speaker 2: I love an electric energy, you know.
Speaker 7: And here's that's actually kind of the key thing about watching football is if you're just sitting there by yourself watching one football game, you notice how many commercials are and how well we hear a group of people, especially the Super Bowl, like you're talking, having a conversation like okay, okay, here comes to play. You're setting up. You can see it. It's like, you know, it's like somebody like at the Olympics, like jumping off the diving board and flip you Okay, here they go.
Speaker 3: Oh it's done. Association.
Speaker 4: It's it's uniquely suited for spamming you with ads, but it's also uniquely suited for watching with a group where you can actually not have to have it be the center of everything, and it's not a big deal if somebody talks.
Speaker 2: Reality television, you know, actually that's that's a scarily good comparison. And before we move on to wrap this up with a couple of tangents and trivia, we have a very important announcement. Super producer Max Williams hates Sean McVay. Just repeat that again. He hates Sean McVay so much, real quick, We've got to quote, I hate Sean McVay so much. But we're not gonna end it on a downer. We gotta talk about something, right, are good friend Richard?
Speaker 6: Look at his face? Uh uh?
Speaker 7: I was I wasted my fifth round fantasy pick because he said Cam Akers was going to be the back. And cam Akers ran all over the Broncos last Thanksgiving and it was great.
Speaker 3: It was awesome.
Speaker 7: And so I use my fifth round pick and cam Akers this year and barely played week one, got bench week two.
Speaker 3: Trade after week two.
Speaker 7: I'm like, are you kidding Sean McVay, and he puts in Kiren Williams who is like five foot nothing and runs a four nothing and got hurt Max.
Speaker 2: So Sean McVay, this is your just retire, just retire to make things right. And this one tangent we wanted to get to before we close out today. First, Thanksgiving is not just a US holiday. A lot of people are thankful all around the world. And secondly, weirdly enough, you know what, people are finally embracing openly canned cranberry sauce. People used to hate it. People used to say you had to make it on your own, or you had to make it by hand. But now I think, kind of like how the Boloney sandwich encountered a renaissance in short cuisine. Now people even like our pal Richard Blaze, people love canned cranberry sauce.
Speaker 4: Shabby chic cooking kind of right, like it's the thing. I'm a little neutral on the subject. I'm just not a huge fan of it. But I do like a good chutney, which is kind of like a homemade cranberry sauce, so I can see its value. It's more of a condiment than anything. You use it to add a little sweet to your savory. I'm cool with that. I just you know, I don't like the way it slides out of the can. I don't trust it. It's like a good jill latinous creature. Don't care for them.
Speaker 2: Well, collectively, it turns out, according to Nina Friend at Food and Wine, Americans as a whole consume five million gallons of cranberry sauce each and every year during the holidays. Seventy six percent of American households by cranberry buy this can cranberry stuff.
Speaker 4: Well, it's sort of the same as not may not the same, but like similar to the argument around dressing or stuffing, A lot of people just swear by the stofers, you know, or stovetop dressing, and I honestly will make both. I'll make the kind of store bock kind and then make like a really nice oyster dressing or like something with like, you know, walnuts or something a little more fancy. But I do agree there is something to be said about just the good old, run of the mill stovetop dressing.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's nostallgia ultimately, isn't it. Because smell and taste give us such a strong sense of time and place, right, That's what Proosh is writing about. And I totally understand that too. Like I look, we're not here to yuck your yums, folks. If you have a Thanksgiving tradition that matters to you and your family, don't let people papoo it. You know, have a great time with your cranberry sauce, whether it comes in a can or whether you're out arduously squashing those berries yourself.
Speaker 6: Oh for sure.
Speaker 2: Man, Do you want to start with our northern neighbors?
Speaker 6: I wonder if it involves cheese, curds and gravy. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Let's see, Yeah, Canada, they have their own kind of unique version of Thanksgiving that happens in mid October, and this came from a decree from then Governor General.
Speaker 6: Is a Canadian thing. I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 4: In nineteen fifty seven Vincent Massey who declared the second Monday in October a day of general thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed, blessed.
Speaker 2: And the Predecessor for this Like the reason he declared this day goes all the way back to fifteen seventy eight. The Canadian Thanksgiving, or the first one, is apparently older than the US Thanksgiving. They're also not the only country. Liberia has had a regular Thanksgiving. It's the They officially celebrate it as the markation of the moment when enslaved people traveled from the United States to found the country of Liberia in eighteen twenty two. It is on the first Thursday of November instead of the worth And I think anybody who's listened to this show for a while knows that we are all thoroughly confused and flub mixed by that kind of clindrical system.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't care for it. Just pick a date, pick a date.
Speaker 4: Well, let's not forget that even in the reports of the quote unquote first Thanksgiving that apparently passed without much notice at the time. You know, with the Pilgrims, they were just doing a thing that they already did that was like just on, you know, honoring a a bountiful harvest. So like the Canadian version of Thanksgiving isn't like in any way related to American Thanksgiving. He has described it as a day of general thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is a word. It's in like hymns and stuff, you know, So we get very America centric when it comes to the idea of Thanksgiving, But it takes place during the changing of the seasons, and it's this idea of let's take stock of the year that has passed. It's at the end of the year. It may make sense. It's just that parallel thinking that you mentioned.
Speaker 6: Ben.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we see similar festivals in South India and Ghana, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, the Netherlands, Japan, the list goes on. Because despite all of humanity's differences, one thing we can all hopefully agree upon is simply this. It's important to take some time whenever you can and be thankful for the things you love.
Speaker 4: Well, I for one, am thankful for you, Ben and you super producer and research associated extraordinaire Max Williams, and for this podcast that we get to do together. I think it's pretty awesome that this is literally how we make a living.
Speaker 2: And thanks to our mad man behind the keys, mister Alex Williams, who, in addition to picking up horse Maneuver, also picked up a gig making this awesome soundtrack for us. Thanks to Chris Vrasiotis Eves Jeffcoat, and thanks of to that one turkey, that one turkey who gets pardoned every year in the United States, the.
Speaker 6: One that got it.
Speaker 4: It just occurs to me, though, that we kind of do Thanksgiving at the end of every episode. That's the thing that we've established from the start. So I think we're all pretty thankful in general for all the people that make the show possible and the.
Speaker 6: People in our lives. We'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 4: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.