Speaker 1: As a late fifteen to ten touchdowp.
Speaker 2: Er.
Speaker 3: What's up, guys, Welcome into a brand new episode of Chargers Weekly. We're presented by Microsoft Surface as always, joined by Matt Mundy Smith trying to turn the page on what happened at Lambeau Fields. Sunday, Chargers lose twenty three to twenty to Jordan love in the Green Bay Packers. They're four and six in a tough hole as the Baltimore Ravens come to town Sunday with a little extra rest money. Let's just start at Lambeau. I'm sure it was a cool trip for you to be a part of that history and call a game there, but not the result the Chargers we're hoping for.
Speaker 1: Don It was a big one, you know, we said it before the game.
Speaker 2: You just look at the percentages historically, and there's a lot of history there to lean on. You start five and five and you got a thirty point five percent chance at least historical teams have made the playoffs thirty and one half of one percent of the time. You start four and six and that drops to seven percent. So it is a huge swing from five to five to four and six. Of course, those numbers don't take into account what your future schedule looks like or are you playing does the schedule get easier a lot of those games at home? Is there a lot of rest in there? And I think for the Chargers, you know, this goes back to what we said last year, right, which is when you lose one like they did against the Raiders to drop the six and six, well, now you got to find one to win. You got to overcome what looked to be a game that you weren't going to win and win it. So, you know, I think we probably would have said the odds favored the Ravens for that Sunday nighter the Mini Buy. It's one of the best teams, if not the best all around team in the AFC. Probably not in the Chargers favor So you were thinking five and six and then New England six and six, and that's where they were last year when they ended up finishing ten and seven. So now they've got to flip that. They just they have to beat the Ravens. This was a terrible loss against a team that on paper they were considerably better than. On the field they were better than, or I shouldn't say that's not true. On the field, they were at least evenly matched, and had they been able to execute, they should have won this game. They were in position to win this game had they been able to execute on both sides of the ball, and they just weren't. Weren't able to Yeah, lack of execution is where I think it starts.
Speaker 3: Uncharacteristic drops from Keenan Allen. He had two of them, Donald Parhum right at.
Speaker 4: The beginning of the game, easy drop.
Speaker 3: Just Justin was awesome in this game, and he was locked in. And I love to see the fire from Justin Herbert, and I hope that we see more of that moving forward. He knew how important that game was in money, there were moments where we haven't seen Justin run like he ran in that game this season. No, No, he found the opportunities. He knew what was required to win that game and how important it was. And obviously, you know, we don't want to belabor the point that Quinton Johnson drop was a game changer at least was going to tie the game. He could have taken that one to the house and they win the game. So a variety of mistakes and then defensively, you know, that that last Jordan Love drive the third and twenty was the was the play that sticks out. The next play to I think it was to Wick where where Michael Davis didn't wrap up. It was kind of reminiscent of the Tony Pollard play about a month ago against the Cowboys. And then obviously the miscommunication on the Dobbs go ahead and game winning touchdown. So a lot of mistakes in this game, and you could point to several different reasons as to why they lost.
Speaker 1: A lot.
Speaker 2: A lot to unpack there, Chris, So we'll start with the Keenan drops, right, So one's a touchdown, one is a first and goal from the one that's eight points that you know turned into field goals instead of touchdowns. That the thing about those two drops. Keenan came back and you knew he was gonna you knew that he was going to make an impact in this game, come up with some huge third down catches, came up with a huge touchdown catch to give him the lead. And it's like, yeah, that's what Keenan does because he's an elite player in this league, and he recognizes we left him on the field. I got to pick my guy up. Herbert's playing his ass off and we've got to go win this game for him for as hard as he's playing. And Keenan did that, and he gave them a you know what, was it a twenty four to seventeen lead or a twenty to some sorry, twenty to seventeen lead, and you know, unfortunately were twenty to sixteen lead, and they weren't able to hold on to it.
Speaker 1: So that's that's one I felt like.
Speaker 2: And even with the palm catch, Parm had a couple other big catches in that game where you felt like he overcame it. Quintin did not. Quinn had a terrible game. I don't think there's any two ways about it. And people point to that last drop. He did not have a good game overall, and something has ought to change there, and I feel for him.
Speaker 1: He's a rookie.
Speaker 2: It's tough when you've got this much talent on a team and these games are this close. But it's no longer what Brandon Staley was trying to preach earlier about patients, and we don't have to rush him, and he's got look at our wide receiver room. Mike Williams, Josh Palmer and Keenan Allen, and you know, it's no big deal.
Speaker 1: We believe in him long term. It's not a one year thing, but.
Speaker 2: It is this year, you know, with all the injuries, with Josh Palmer down, with Mike Williams down, there is no time for that. Zay Flowers leads the Baltimore Ravens and catches and yards. Jordan Addison leaves the Vikings in touchdowns. Those two guys were picked right after him, and they were ranked ahead of him on just about every draft board. So that's and I'm not saying that to point out that it was a mistake of a pick. I'm saying it because I can only imagine what the confidence is for him, you know, seeing what the players around him are doing, what the commentary is around his performance thus far, it's going to be incredibly negative. So team's got a rap and try to feed him positivity while also coaching him, coaching him to hold his hands like this, not like this when you catch the ball. And that was and that's that muscle memory that we were talking about.
Speaker 1: That's how he.
Speaker 2: Played at TCU, and so that repeatedly showed up in this game. If you go and look at every one of his targets, the six targets, it's all this and it led to him falling out of bounds on a third down that maybe had he extended his arms to catch these balls, and for whatever reason, it's just not happening. There was a pass downfield earlier. And it's been a weird thing with him this season. He doesn't fight through contact to get his second arm up, and if you go back and you watch a lot of his targets, he's got just one hand extended, and it doesn't make sense. You're not going to catch the ball with one hand. You've got to fight through contact. He's not separating, he's not fighting through press like. There's just a lot going on there. And again I'm not saying it to say, hey, this is terrible. I'm saying like, they've got to figure out a way to feed him positivity coaching so he can try to get something positive here before the end of the year and maybe be a big part of this playoff push.
Speaker 1: Or I'm just afraid long term.
Speaker 2: You know, if you come through a season where you're on pace to have one of the absolute worst worst production wise seasons by a first round receiver in a long time. I feel like you've got to try to get over that hump, that it's so important for the future of this draft pick and for him as an individual that they've got to try to fix that. So I mean, I'll stop there and let you kind of jump in. But yeah, look, the drop cost him the game.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 2: You can say, oh, well, it's not just one play. Well, in this case, it was because a field goal ties it and sends it to overtime, and that thing was going for a touchdown. He's got two steps on the defender, it hits him in stride, he's fast enough where that thing is going in for a touchdown with twenty seconds on the clock and the game is probably over. And instead it was something that unfortunately we've seen a lot of. And again I say it because I just want to see him get something positive, to see him get over this, because it's such a mental hurdle right now for him where the concentration isn't there and it's leading to these just backbreaking plays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for the sake of his confidence and really his development, he's going to have to forget it quickly, and they're going to have to go back to him and money. They don't really have a choice. They have to go back to him because you know, Justin's down a lot of guys right now, and you know we saw him make plays with stones smart and whoever you throw out there, Justin is going to find you. He found Quinton. Quintin didn't take advantage of the opportunity at the end, but that's okay. If he can bounce back and help this offense to beat the Ravens. I mean, that's all you can do at this point. You know, the other turnover was Austin Eckler at the five. I mean, that's something that can't happen either, you know.
Speaker 1: And that's a weird one.
Speaker 2: Chris, just to I just want to jump in there because you know, Shannon did a great job where she mentioned to us that they had wheeled out this giant cart with all these cleats and tools to swap out cleats. She's like, you know, there must be something going on with the field because I haven't seen this card out here in a game before, and it's out now and it looks like some players are dealing with their cleats. Well, Austin slipped on that play led to a fumble, and then on the second and ten to play, prior to Quinton's drop, he slips on a play that certainly would have gone for a first time.
Speaker 1: And it gets you wonder like, hey, what are we doing.
Speaker 2: You've got the card out, you know what the footing is, You've already slipped once it led to a fumble. Why has this not been remedied? Why have the cleats not been swapped out? And now there's a second slip in there that leads to another negative play and it's third and ten instead of first and ten and you're trying to get into field goal range.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know they talked about it on the broadcast too, I believe, pretty early in the game about the field conditions. And just know that's something that I think the Chargers were prepared for. And obviously, you know it showed out in those two plays by Austin that it obviously had an effect on him in the game. So certainly if we go to the defense money real.
Speaker 2: Quick though, Chris, before we move on, sorry, before we move on from Q, I do want to say this, like I think they have it's a very interesting crossroads. They cannot afford another loss, you know, they got to go six and one if they want to make the playoffs. So I'm interested to see how they play this because on that throw to Quinton, you know, if you go back and watch the film, Herbert's progressions take him through the middle of the field, and this is something that we've been talking about, right. I want to see more of those kill shots. Donald Parmer is wide open at the fifty. It's a twenty yard gain and they've got first and ten. He's probably going to get an extra five. So now you're probably at the forty five of Green Bay with about twenty five twenty seven seconds left, eight yards to tie this game up, and parum is, I mean, there is nobody around him, and Herbert saw it and then he saw Johnston and he's like, there it is. There's the game winner. So he goes off that progression and he tries, you know, and it fails. And so that so I'm interested to see because look, Alex Erickson had a huge catch on a third down in this game, Simmi Fojoko's got a touchdown and you know on his ledger, So to me, I think Jalen Giden got a touchdown against the Lions there's some familiarity there.
Speaker 1: You know, he's dealing with that corn.
Speaker 2: But I'm just interested to see what the snapcout's going to look like against the Ravens and it gotta have it game and whether or not they feel more comfortable with the veteran ericson or Fojoko or the familiarity if he's healthy, of Jalen Geidon, And you're just gonna see that snapcount drop again for Quinton because of how dire the circumstances are at this point in the season.
Speaker 4: Man, It's it's a fascinating question.
Speaker 3: Because I just go back to what I said earlier about you got to put him right back out there. This is your first round pick, and and if you're gonna you don't want to risk his development and his confidence. And if he's open, he's getting open obviously, you know, you know he drew those pass interferences against the Lions.
Speaker 4: Albeit there were some drops in those pis.
Speaker 2: But that's what was That's what that's what covered those up, right, Those were all drops. Those are all passes that hit him in the hands, that they that he dropped, that they threw flags on.
Speaker 3: I think I think you tried to you got to go back to him. You got to against this against the Ravens and just see how it shakes out.
Speaker 4: And a guy to have a game. The defense, obviously, no frustrations.
Speaker 3: Have boiled over, I think on a lot of levels with regards to the defense and certainly the head coach, the passing defense. Jordan Love three hundred and twenty two yards. I think it was twenty seven straight games three hundred yard game in Green Bay and and Love breaks that streak, and you know he had dudes open. And again it was that last drive though, that was just a killer. You know, we've seen the third and longs way too many times this season get converted or a PI or some sort of mental error that leads to a third and long being converted. And then obviously the tackling the fundamentals they've been an issue.
Speaker 4: And then the miscommunication.
Speaker 3: I believe thirlwe was trying to get Kenneth in position and Michael Davis and Kenneth kind of ran into each other. Romeo Dobbs had had a couple of steps on Michael Davis and that was it. You know that that can't be a reason why you lose a football game, not being lined up properly, and you know, as we move forwards in this season, money, you're four and six. The Ravens maybe the best team in the AFC right now. I think if you saw the Chiefs and what they're doing offensively right now, you may have some questions. The Ravens are as balanced as it gets, and you know, more as a threat to run, and also the way he's throwing the football. You can't have those mental errors in this game on Sunday night.
Speaker 1: No doubt, before we push it forward.
Speaker 2: I do just think it's fair to kind of break down what coach said after the game about the defense and about the competition in the secondary and how he's got to find the right players that he believes in the plays that he's calling, he believes in the scheme that they're running that he just believes that they need these plays need to be executed correctly. That's going to be interesting because there's going to be personnel changes. You know, I don't know if he's going after Michael Davis, if he's going after you know, look, Michael Davis was the odd man out early remember when jac was in there, So maybe that's the guy he's going to replace with Dean Leonard. Jo's already been replaced at slot corner by Derwin. You know, for the majority of that game against Green Bay, that's what we saw in Dean Marlow playing safety, so Jos, you know, snap count went way down. The one thing I would say to that is, you know, when I went back and watched the game, there's way too many people open. On nearly every single third down, there are two and three guys wide open, and so that to me is not execution. I would just politely disagree with coach on that and say, I don't I don't quite know how execution plays in and man, there's a couple plays when you're watching and you're just like, I don't quite know what. There's a first and ten that Jaden Reid ended up going maybe like twenty five thirty yards on this first and ten, and you got Eric Kendricks and Kenneth Murray with their feet stuck in the ground and about ten yards of grass in front of them, and to each of their you know, to Kendrick's left and to Murray's right are Musgrave and I think it was Watson wide open ten yards downfield. And then you've got the safeties that are putting the lid on it and no, and that's what it was. Kendricks is trying to run with Reed and is lost. He gets spun around. He doesn't even know where he's at, and that's how he flashes open point being they only rushed four, right, So you've got seven guys in coverage and all four receivers are wide open. And that tended to show repeatedly on the film on every major third down. If you're not blitzing, you're rushing four, you've got seven guys and just too many guys are looking at grass and guarding grass. So I don't I don't know, you know, if that's on the individual because I don't know what the play call is. I don't know what they're supposed to be doing. I kind of have an idea, and it feels like it's, you know, either they're playing a soft coverage or they're passing guys off to people that aren't there. Players I think are confused. I thought d had a really good line in the game. He said, our defense leads the league in points and I don't mean preventing them. I mean pointing out where guys are supposed to be because it seems like on every snap someone's being told that they're in the wrong place. So I don't I think the big concern, Chris is how do you fix that when it's Thanksgiving?
Speaker 1: You know? How?
Speaker 2: How do you fix that when you're four and six and you got seven games to go? I don't know how you do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna We're gonna be in December next week. Man, right the money, I'm sorry dj I moved the sticks head. Another point about Jordan Loved there was a lot of meat on the bone. I think there was like a loop Musgrave wide open play where he could have had an eighty r touchdown.
Speaker 4: So yeah, there were several plays in that game.
Speaker 2: That's every snap, Chris. It's it's every snap there's guys wide open. So I know it's it's frustrating and and I bring it up not to say what do we do? You know, and it's not like that, it's hey, I don't know how you fix it? Like I I I understand you want like to me, it's not just the secondary. You have competition at the linebacker level. Yeah, you know, you you if you're going to open a competition in the secondary, can get zero better zero exactly. You got you got someone out there that can't that that is really really struggling to cover, really struggling, and he's getting picked on over and over and over again. And I would say, if you're going to have a competition, let's let's have a competition at that position as well, because I think I think there's opportunities there that you might be able to get to find a fix or at least try to find a fix. Because it's been all season long.
Speaker 3: So but money, this is the question for me, how many more personnel changes can you make at this point that are going to drastically improve the secondary? Because we've talked about this throughout the season. Everybody in that secondary was here last year. There should be.
Speaker 4: No confusion as to what the scheme is and how you.
Speaker 3: Execute the scheme and how you play in this defense. So you know, you can replace Michael Davis or you know, move him or moves on. But how much better can it get with guys who maybe don't have the skill set.
Speaker 4: That a Michael Davis has or an Asante Siemuel Junior has.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's hard, and I get you know, the players have to make the plays. But I just I find myself here. You know this, he was four and six and you're in twelfth or thirteenth place in the AFC. And I know, I realize everybody's kind of bottled up right now. But you know, it's it's like you said, it's Thanksgiving. It's not a great place to be going up against, you know, perhaps the best team in the AFC right now in the Multipore Ravens who you.
Speaker 4: Know, and the Chargers.
Speaker 3: You know what, this is zero not an excuse by any stretch, but man, they've had some bad luck with these buys and extended buys and when it comes to playing these good teams, no.
Speaker 2: No doubt to the question about you know, is there time? So I don't know, like you can't bring new guys in right Like that's not going to happen. So it's just a question of are the players that have been sitting on the bench better than the ones that you have on the field. I don't think you're going to find a dramatic difference in the secondary if you go from you know, Michael Davis to Dean Leonard. I you know, for me, the one the one interesting stat that kind of jumps out at you is you look at their blitz rate and they're dead middle like they are. It's like, okay, are we a team that blitzes? Are we not a team that blitzes? And they're like sixteen, and it's like, to me, you want to see that number either in the top five or in the bottom five. Your team that blitzes and you got sticky coverage and you don't have to hold it as long because that's because you feel like your guys are going to get home because you're rushing the passer, or your team that only rush is four, and either a you feel good about your four getting home or b you feel good about your team being able to cover and stay connected throughout the course of a play to keep guys in front of them, prevent explosive plays, and force these twelve thirteen play drives where hopefully you can get home on one of those. Now they're off schedule, now you've got the advantage. And that's sort of the two ways to approach this. So the only thing I can think of that they could change that might make a difference, just because the coverage has been so poor is start blitzing. Start blitzing more. Start sending five and six guys over and over and over again, so your corners and your coverage players don't have to cover as long. And I think it's clear that rules are being broken, whatever rules they're supposed to be following in quarters coverage and this matchup zone, it's just not happening. Too many guys are being passed off to nobody. There's too many Sawce spots, and you know what, Chris, So much of this I think as a result of what we see in football, and that is you'll find something that works, teams will all jump on it, and then there's a solution, and that's vic Fangio had this as the Patrick Mahomes beater when he was in Denver, right, and that's how this defense came into fashion and everybody started playing it. Well, now you'll see the offenses know how to beat it. They've got plays to beat it. Though, Popper did a great job in that article after the Lions game that said Ben Johnson knew exactly what was coming and exactly how to beat it. He was a step ahead the whole time. And I think we're seeing that more and more with offenses because so many teams started using this style of defense, and they've got more and more more teams are playing it, so now they've got reps in practice against it, and now they're more comfortable beating it. So now you have to adjust to the adjustment.
Speaker 3: Well, money, the blitz question is a perfect segue into this because we're going to have life without Joey Bosa maybe for the rest of the season now, So knowing that Joey's gonna be out, Chris Rumps, you're thin at edge, do you blitz more just because you don't have Joey?
Speaker 4: You can't maybe tough to get home anyway?
Speaker 1: For I would say yes.
Speaker 2: But the blitzes that they ran against Green Bay, for whatever reason, Green Bay just knew they were coming. Jordan Love was and you know he, Jordan Love was hard counting a lot, and it just seemed like Chargers kept biting on the hardcot and they kept showing their hand over and over again, so he knew when the blitz was coming. You know, Blitzing isn't just sending one more than they have to block, or overloading aside and trying to find that advantage. It's also about disguising and them not knowing that you're blitzing or not knowing where the blitz is coming from. So I do think you have to be a team that's good at that. You know, you're not just a team that blitzes, but your team that's good at blitzing where you know when you're like that play we talked about against Detroit on the huge Gainer to Leif Raymond, Like you can't blitz from you can't blitz John Taylor from that spot, Like that's not going to be an effective blitz. So it's not like you know what I mean like they I think they need to get better at that as well, if that's what they're gonna do. I have full faith in Tuley that that he can win, you know that he'll win one on one and that they can't double both he and Khalil Max. So between those two, I think they've both been rushing the platte passer well enough. I think they're you know the thing with Baltimore, right, it's the run game, and this is this is a team that runs the hell out of the ball. So do you feel good about run blitzing? You know, or you're gonna be running up field and here goes Gus Edwards right by you, you know, or here comes Lamar Jackson using his feet just to to skate right by, and he's off to the races. So that's probably what you got to be a little careful of. This is a I think it's you know, probably a perfect opportunity to segue into it.
Speaker 1: But this is a tough matchup. This is a really really tough matchup.
Speaker 2: On Sunday, and and I think considering the injuries and the w they've been playing as of late, it would be a I think it would be a big It's a huge opportunity for the Chargers to overcome what I think is a mountain that has been placed in front of them that they have to climb to try to get this victory.
Speaker 3: Yep, all right, let's take a quick break. We'll get into this matchup with Ravens. All Right, guys, A big thank you to our partner, Microsoft, Surface, the official sideline technology provider end laptop of the NFL and the Los Angeles Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at surface dot Com. VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment.
Speaker 4: Capital of the world.
Speaker 3: Ticket packages boast in a array of offerings such as premium seating to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL onlocation dot com or search NFL on location today. Your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location. Hey Chargers fans, you want to eat? Uber Eats now available for in stadium pickup. Order all of your stadium favorites from your seat with the Uber Eats app. Just set your location to Sofi Stadium, select your favorites and you'll receive a notification when your order is ready for pickup. There are many mouth watering options in Sofi Stadium. Let the stadium rumble, not your stomach. Go Chargers, so money. The Baltimore Ravens coming to town eight and three. Lamar Jackson is playing great football. His threat as a passer now has increased from previous years. We know that he's lethal running the football, and the Ravens in general, as you alluded to, they run the ball as good as any in the league. I'm just gonna rattle off some of these scores that you know. They beat the Detroit Lions, who scored forty one points a couple of weeks ago, thirty eight to six.
Speaker 4: They beat the Seahawks thirty seven to three.
Speaker 3: They beat the Bengals by two touchdowns last Thursday night. They beat the Browns twenty eight to three earlier in the year.
Speaker 1: So you know, this.
Speaker 4: Offense is rolling.
Speaker 3: The defense is solid under McDonald. And again it's a it's a freaking tall order. It's a tall order. But yeah, if you do get it and you're five and six, you talk about momentum, I mean, this is this is the season, no question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if they lose this one, they have to went out. I think when you look at what's in front of them, and then you know you got your four division winners, and then you know, I'm not looking at the standings right now. I suppose I could pull it up, but you know, I think they're in what thirteenth place as it stands right now, yeah, thirteenth place, So you've got going to number seven. You know, teams with four losses, they're two up on you. You lose this one and they win, and they're three up on you in the lost column, and it feels like that would almost be in surmountable. So right now you're division leaders, Ravens, Chiefs, Jags, Dolphins. So you know those are all seven and three teams three games up in the lost column. Now you get the Browns who are three games up on you in the lost column. The Texans and the Steelers and the Bills and the Colts and the Broncos and the Bengals, and you know those are all teams ahead of you. That's a lot you cannot and they look like they're at least half of those are trending towards ten and seven. So that's going to be the number, I think.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The good news is they have a lot of AFC games left. They've kind of worked through their NFC portion of the schedule. The conference record is a tiebreaker when it's more than a when it's a three way tie, or more so, it's an opportunity. But they have to win this game. They have to and they're taking on the number two scoring defense, the number three overall defense, and the number one pass defense. And we know the Chargers have struggled to run the ball. They passed the ball. It's what they do well. Herbert's been exceptional these last couple of weeks. The Ravens offense, number four scoring offense, number one rushing offense. So the you know, after the Packer game, when when coach Staley was frustrated at the line of questioning and the defense, he said, you know, we really stopped the run in this game. That was a positive. Well, they didn't really want to run the ball. They you know, they lost their two running backs. I mean, they lost Aaron Jones for the game, they lost Wilson for the game. And they're like, all right, well we still got our throwing it around. And they were throwing it around effectively, you know, and you look at the last time they faced a team that was really balanced. Now they do get a bit of an advantage without Mark Andrews. That is clearly Lamar Jackson's safety velve his favorite target. So in the passing game, there's maybe you get a little bit of a break there. But let's see if in fact, you know what coach was talking about that. You know, our rush defense did really really well. Okay, well let's see you do it against this team. We're talking about taking away the right hand. You know, the right hand of the Ravens is running the ball. So can you take that away? It's very hard, you know. And when you go through their losses, the one thing you recognize is teams created turnovers. You know, that's in their three losses. I mean, I'll just rattle them off right now. Pittsburgh wins seventeen to ten. Four sacks, six tackles for loss, one interception, one safety, four forced fumbles they recover too. That's how they win that game. Think about all that that went on with that defense. Indianapolis wins in ot twenty two to nineteen. Four sacks, six tackles for loss, four forced fumbles, two of them recovered. So there's that win. Cleveland three sacks, four tackles for loss, two interceptions, one of them a pick six. That's like, your defense is going to have to deliver, you know, points if you're going to win this game against this team. They're really good. I mean they've scored three hundred and four points. You know, you're talking about sixty five more points, fifty five more points than the Chargers this year. Now, they played an extra game, but they they score a lot, and their defense just so happens to be again the number one scoring defense or the number two scoring defense, the number three overall defense. So getting into a shootout with them is going to be kind of hard. Now, the Browns did it right last week and one, but they won on a pick six. So that's what this defense. That's the level I think that we're not that. I think I think this we know that that's the level of play that this defense is going to have to put in if they're going to pull off this.
Speaker 3: Upset money, if this team is going to have any chance moving forward to it. This is about these close losses. We got to call for what it is. You got five of them by three points or less. It seems like going back to last year, they're having a hard time figuring out how.
Speaker 4: To close football games. And you know.
Speaker 3: The complimentary football, especially late in games, has not been there. You know, they the performance by Justin on Sunday, it's a darn shame they lost that game because I think he played as good as he could have played. I think he had the best PFF grade. Take that for what it's worth, but I think.
Speaker 2: He was incredible of the season, right, Yeah, Chris, he was incredible, like the And if there's one thing I hope comes out of that loss that could alter the fortunes of this team moving forward, it's how he ran the ball. Yeah, I mean he trucking, dudes. You know that that first down he picked up on third down on that third and eleven, he got hit at the eighth and he carried two guys with him over the line to gain And that's something that we just have not seen from him. I mean, he wanted that win. He did everything he possibly could to will this team to When he talked about it a little bit earlier, the emotion there was that delay a game. I have not seen him react like that on a field. I mean he threw that football that will claps feet and started barking at him and more of that police, more of that, you know, and that cause that's what it's gonna take. It's if this team is going to go six and one, it's going to be because of Justin Herbert. Let's just be let's call it for what it is. He's so good, he's in the conversation. Is one of the best players in the league. And that's my dog is upset about something, and that's what it's going to take, right, That's that's what it's going to take.
Speaker 4: He's just echoing, he's echoing your your thoughts on justin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, yeah, no idea, why I've I've got to deal with that, But I do, I will.
Speaker 3: I wonder if that's a turning point. I just I just I love to see the fire man. I loved it, and I feel like it put his teammates on notice too, like, hey man, I'm carrying this thing.
Speaker 4: I'm carrying this thing. Offense and defense, come on, let's go get on my level.
Speaker 1: And exactly.
Speaker 3: That's that's what was so disappointing about the end of that game, because the touchdown to Keenan that should have been it. That should have been it, and the defense should have fed off of that and gotten Jordan Love off the field. They get on the bus and they come back and it's a it's a new season.
Speaker 4: So they have this just nasty taste in their mouth.
Speaker 3: From losing losing games to a team that was three and six, and then the Tennessee Titans earlier in the year. They're gonna look back on those two games specifically, is like, how do we lose those games?
Speaker 4: How do we lose those games?
Speaker 3: So you know, like you said, if you beat the multiple Ravens, maybe a game you weren't supposed to win gets you to five and six, you know, at least we could talk and it haves some playoff dreams for another week.
Speaker 2: But no doubt, go ahead, Yeah, no doubt. I think you know it lays out well in front of them as well. So you beat the Ravens and now you know, I don't know what the feutre. They've already gone to a different quarterback in New England. I know the Broncos have been playing a lot better. But you get them at home, you know, and then you get a trip to to Las Vegas. Like, but the thing is, Chris, and we keep saying this, Oh it lays out look at this stretch right here, and I think you put it perfectly.
Speaker 1: They got to figure out how to win. They know how to lose.
Speaker 2: We know that they because you're not one in five in one score games without knowing how to lose, because you had to lead and so many of those, or you're tied in so many of those, so you have the ball last in so many of those, and they just can't get over the hump.
Speaker 1: So I think of all the things that.
Speaker 2: They've got to figure out here in short order, knowing how to win, how to execute when you absolutely have to the gotta have it moments, Being able to deliver in those moments on both sides of the ball and special teams is what will ultimately decide the fate of this team and whether or not a squad that so many people thought was one of the best in the AFC is And I hate the whole revisionist history because it I just I know they're injured, everybody's injured, but the well, maybe this team isn't as good as we thought. No, they're not as good as you thought because they're four and six because they continually come up short. They are that good. This roster is that good. You know, teams would love to have a Rashaun Slater at left tackle and Austin Eckler in the backfield and Keenan Allen and Justin Herbert and like teams would love if we just go through, if I'm going through the standings, all right. Let me show you Mac Jones has been benched. The Titans are on too Will Levis. The New York Jets just made Zach Wilson their third string quarterback. The Las Vegas Raiders are on Aidan O'Connell. The Bengals have not had a Joe Burrow healthy but for two games this year. The Denver Broncos, you know, had Russell Wilson, who had the worst season of his career last year, started out sluggishly. He's playing much better now because he's just not turning the football over. The Colts are in the nine spot. Anthony Richardson was their rookie. They're on a backup quarterback.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The Buffalo Bills at eight have had and just ridiculously bad showing from Josh Allen when it comes to turnovers this season. Like it's quarterback play that's leading these teams to be where they are. Baltimore Ravens, Lamar Jackson, Chiefs, Mahomes, Jaguars, Lawrence, Dolphins, TUA. You know, the Browns is the one outlier there because their defense is the best in football. So like that's good what I'm getting at is the Chargers have one of the best quarterbacks in football. There is no reason they don't they one of these things is not like the unner. One of these things doesn't belong like the Chargers don't belong at thirteen. When Justin Herbert is playing at the level that he's playing at, That's that's what's incongruous. That's the anomaly. Why is it that one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL this season, not just by reputation but by the way he is playing this season, is sitting down in the thirteen spot. What is his team doing to let him down? Because it's not that way in any other if I go through if I go through the NFC, it's the same way. You know, if you look at the best quarterbacks, they're at the top. It's Jalen Hurts, it's Jared Goff, it's Rock Party, it's Dak Prescott, it's Kirk Cousins, you know, and then it just kind of falls apart from there and you get to the five hundred teams. But the top are the best quarterbacks Hurts, GoF Purty, Dak Okay, Yeah, quarterbacks winning this league. And somehow the Chargers have not been able to put together a team that can win with one of the best quarterbacks who is playing some of the best football in the NFL.
Speaker 1: It doesn't. It's just it's not it's not connecting.
Speaker 3: But it's an automatic, built in advantage. When you have Herbert on thefield, You're gonna be in every game. You're gonna be in a one small game every game, every game, and you got to figure out a way to win. And that's what has plagued them obviously this year is they cannot get over the hump and figure out how to win because they've been in every game. They've been in every single game, even the Kansas City game where the defense buckle down on the second half. Now I'm looking at the kind of the style of quarterbacks that they've played this year, you know, with Lamar Jackson coming to town, and you know, the threats to run really you know, Mahomes kind of scrambles and gets yardage. I think he had like a twenty three yard rush against the Chargers.
Speaker 4: Early this year.
Speaker 3: Dak kind of used his legs to beat the Charges a little bit. He had seven for forty in a touchdown. That's the thing about Lamar, because they haven't had a ton of guys that are as mobile as what Lamar can do. And you know him as a passer now, and the weapons that he has on the outside. I know Andrews is out, but you know, you got Odell. We talked about Zay Flowers. He's got some weapons on the outside. And if a play breaks down, that's what I think the Chargers defense has to worry about, is who's gonna have eyes on Lamar? And is Lamar going to make the right decision if they spy him? And you know, there's not a guy streaking down the field. So just that added layer for the defense is going to be a challenge this Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the one thing he's taken twenty seven sacks, so you're talking about, you know, and that's just part of him holding the ball, trying to because he runs so much, so those opportunity and that's where a lot of those force fumbles come into play. So that's so you have to take advantage of. You know, if there's indecisiveness there, then you've got you know, in two of those three losses he passed below sixty percent. He was like fifty seven and one and fifty six in the other so you can there's things you can do. We know, there's kind of there's sort of Lamar rules, you know, force him to pass outside the numbers, and that was something that that was the problem with it is like that was the book on Jordan Love is like he doesn't see the middle of the field. He so you know, he's he just kind of gets a little bit confused in there. So it's like, let's but they weren't able to do that, you know, and it's like the guy throws for three hundred and twenty two yards, like you know what the rules are going in You know that Jared Goff wants to throw to Monra over and over and over again and forced Josh Reynolds and Jamison Williams to beat you and instead it's aman Ra for one hundred and sixty. You know that Patrick Mahwens has got nobody, no trust. They have more drops than any other wide receiver corp in the league. It's only Travis Kelcey and the guy goes for one hundred and fifty in the first half. It's you know, Dak Prescott. He wants to throw the ball to Ceedee Lamb. He does not trust Michael Gallup. He doesn't you know, ceedee lamb one hundred and twenty yards in a touchdown. It's you know, Tua wants to get the ball out to Tyreek Hill, Tyreek Hill two hundred and fifteen yards. So it's like they have got to you know, take away the number one, you know, and and force them to beat you with the number two and the number three.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: Packers wanted to run the ball, you know, that's what they want to do. Run the ball, have some explosives off of play action, and they lost two of their three running backs and they were forced to throw the ball all over the yard.
Speaker 1: And it was easy. And so that's, you know, that's what's on.
Speaker 2: That's what's on, you know, the menu for for coach Staley and his staff figure out how to force Lamar to throw the ball outside the numbers because he wants to use the middle of the field and make sure he doesn't beat you with his legs. And if you can do that, there's interceptions, there's bad plays out there that that he'll make. There's forced fumbles to be had. But you have to take away what they want to do. If you don't, they're just going to keep doing it and it's easy because it's what they do best.
Speaker 3: The Chargers played the Ravens a couple of years ago in Baltimore. I think it was coach Staley's first year, and you know, they had a great start to the year and that East Coast trip they kind of ran into a buzzsall with Baltimore funny money. I was with Jaliladai yesterday. We were doing our Max Preps High School show and we were talking about the playoff game. Remember where Gus had no linebackers and it was just all dbs against LeVar. It just I think back just to the evolution of him as a quarterback and what they were well accomplish that day versus like, you know what he's become, and it's just it's such a tall order to try to contain a guy like that who seemingly can make something happen every single play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's not easy, and you know Gus did. Adrian Phillips was the biggest player behind the defensive line that he had to go on that day. But you know the other thing that on that day that I'll remember is that Marty morning, weg for whatever reason, played right into their hands. Like he just assumed, well, they're going to do everything they can to take away the run, so I'm going to throw it all over the place. And it was just a disaster. And it was like, dude, just run it. I mean, you just did it three weeks ago at Dignity Health. Ran it down their throats with Gus Edwards and Lamar Jackson, and they came out throwing it all over. So sometimes coaches cannot think themselves. But no doubt Gus had a brilliant I you know, just keep everything in front of you.
Speaker 1: Force that.
Speaker 2: And I think that's the one thing with the Ravens that you want to do right is force them to have long sustain drives because they make mistakes. Lamar makes mistakes, So that's what you want to do. Don't give them easy ones. You know, when you give Jordan Love a five place seventy five yard drive that he was facing a third and twenty on from his own five yard line and it only takes them five plays to score a touchdown, Yeah, you're not doing your job. You're not giving ample opportunity for him to make a mistake and throw a bad pick or get a turnover or something like.
Speaker 3: That, Monny, anything else from this matchup before we wrap it up and get people going for the Thanksgiving holiday. I just look at some of these pass catchers with no Mark Andrews, you know, Odell Say, Flowers, Nelson Aguilar. I don't know if Isaiah likely will get some more targets his way with Andrews being out, and obviously with Gus Edwards in the emergence of this guy Keaton Mitchell, stopping the one is going to be paramount.
Speaker 2: That's that's where it'll art. And again, I think, just to sort of reiterate what I'm interested in, I'm interested in seeing, if you know, how what what the what the snap count looks like at receiver. I think it's gonna I think that's gonna tell quite the tale. You know, are are we scrambling?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Does does the coaching staff look at it as hey, we're and win now, We've got no time to be developing right now. But I think there's a flip side of that where we talked about clearly there may be players on the bet that you've seen enough through ten games from player X. Let's give player why an opportunity because if not, it might be too late. We can't keep watching, we can't know what the ending is to the movie and expect it to be different because we don't like it, because we want a half a ending, and we keep getting the sad ending or the horrific ending, and it's like, you know what the ending of that movie is. So let's see if we put a different actor in there, maybe something changes. Which is interesting because it's it's two sides of the same knife, right, it's okay, Well, I just said, maybe you don't have time for for young and inexperienced, you know, to develop, And the flip side of that is okay, maybe the you know, young and athletic is the better option than the supposed steady hand of a veteran that has struggled mightily so far this season. So there's some there's some positions that you should put your eyes on that I think will tell you how this team is approaching the remainder of this season. In a critical game against the best opponent that they will have seen this season.
Speaker 4: Oh, Kyle van Noy return game, huh.
Speaker 2: Ugh, somehow I just feel like that doesn't end well, you know it just but but you know, I mean, Kyle's not and I'm a huge Kyle van Noy fan. He's so great when he was with us and just could not have been better with the media, nicer to everybody that came across you know his path, So I wish him nothing but success. I really enjoyed having Kyle van Noy around on the Chargers. Let's just hope he doesn't have success this week.
Speaker 3: We'll see money see if the Chargers can give us something to talk about next week in a positive way as they headed New England. But it's a tall task, but it'll go a long way towards saving this season if they can get a win against the Ravens.
Speaker 4: Happy Thanksgiving, brother, appreciate you as always, man.
Speaker 1: You too.
Speaker 2: Happy Thanksgiving to all the folks listening and watching. We certainly appreciate you. Remember this Thanksgiving butter and salt, whatever you think you're supposed to put on it, double it and then double it again, and that's what Thanksgiving is all about.
Speaker 4: Then triple it exactly there you go, exactly right, Chris.
Speaker 3: We appreciate you guys. Thank you for listening and watching every week.
Speaker 4: For money, I'm Chris. He's been charged a week