Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our Daybreak anchors all around the world. Straight ahead on the program. It's been quite a run for the bulls on Wall Street as we enter the final stretch of the year. I'm Tom Busby in New York. I'll have that store.
Speaker 2: I'm pline Hege here in London, where we're watching upcoming data for signs of the slow puncture in the UK's housing markets.
Speaker 3: I'm dek Krisner with a look at how the Bank of Korea might respond to vibrancy in the South Korean economy.
Speaker 4: I'm Kayleie Lyons in Washington, where Congress is set to return from his holiday break with a long to do list.
Speaker 5: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg day Break Weekend, the business news you need to wrap up your week in just one fifteen minute podcast available on Apple, Spotify, The Bloomberg Business Appen everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Well, good day to you. I'm Tom Busby. We begin today's program with a focus on the stock market as we enter the last trading month of the year. After a slump in twenty twenty two. This year has been a good one for equity investors, particularly those in tech. Now the Nasdaq has far outpaced both the S and P five hundred and the Dow Jones Industrial Average. And right now with inflation easing, a surprisingly strong corporate earning season now wrapping up, and bets that the Fed is done hiking rates, we've seen with just a few minor hits a November rally, the big question can it continue well? For that, we bring in Bloomberg Intelligence Chief Equity Strategist Gina Martin Adams and her colleague Bloomberg Intelligence equity strategist Michael Casper. Thank you both for being here. Gina, I'm going to start with you, where do you see the economy now and what do you anticipate we're going to see in the markets in the weeks ahead.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So, we actually have a really interesting model we call our economic regime model, which gives us a sense of where the economy is in real time. And unfortunately, after the regime model was generally supportive of very strong risk taking conditions in the broader equity markets throughout much of twenty twenty three, it actually took another dip in October, and if we take a step back, and we think about what this regime model tells us. Back in twenty twenty two, the regime model said that the economy was very low probability still in recovery. In other words, the economy may have already been in some form of a recession in twenty twenty two, at least according to this model, which of course coincided with terrible equity market returns. As the economy was decelerating, we lost a lot of momentum in the equity market as well. And then come into twenty twenty three, and the model actually signaled that we should get more optimistic. As of January of twenty twenty three, it was saying, you know, it's not going to get much worse here. Things are starting to get a little bit better. Even though that getting better was somewhat short term. In twenty twenty three, it did support the rally in stocks, and now it's saying, hey, hold on a minute. Things do appear to have slowed precipitously in the fourth quarter. Even though the earnings recovery does appear to be underway, there are certain segments of the earnings recovery that look pretty vulnerable to a deceleration in the broader economy right now, and that could be the risk going into twenty twenty four is the groups that really did not correct in that first dip in twenty twenty two may be set to correct as we move into twenty twenty four. That doesn't mean the whole market is necessarily vulnerable because we went through twenty twenty two, but it does mean that there are some vulnerabilities in the equity market and we need to navigate those as we approach next year.
Speaker 1: And are there specific segments you're referring to right now about the Yeah.
Speaker 6: I'll let Mike talk to that a lot because he does run our sectors scorecard. But specifically the consumer sectors look quite weak. If we think about what happened in the fourth quarter earning season, sorry, the third quarter earning season that just passed for the S and P five hundred, really generally pretty strong earnings emerged X Energy the index posted nearly ten percent earnings growth. When we look at the whole S and P five hundred at large, it looks like about four percent earnings growth. But we did start to see some downward revision momentum. We started to see some guidance in particular from those consumer companies and consumer staples and discretionary do appear to be the worst sectors. That said, there are some strong sectors, and I'll let Mike speak to those, because there are opportunities in this environment.
Speaker 1: What's a strength from you, Mike, let's hear it. Let's hear it.
Speaker 7: Certainly, Communications is the one at the top of the list, right so, earnings have been strong in twenty twenty three, They're expected to be strong in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Four as well.
Speaker 7: Tech is up there as well. We run a five factor sector scorecard and those two are at the top of the scorecard right now. It's joined by financials, which is quite an interesting case if you believe consensus rate expectations for twenty twenty four. There for a little bit of yield curve steepening, which should be a good fundamental driver for especially the banks within financials, and our model's flaging financials as one of the top plays in the S and P five hundred at least. Right now. On the flip side, I'll talk about some of the weakness. Definitely, the defensives. Utilities, real estate staples have been consistently towards the bottom of our model in the s and P five hundred, and they're staying there at least right now.
Speaker 1: So let's go back to the weaknesses. Now, we discussed the consumer, discretionary, consumer staples. So we're getting some mixed signals on the consumer. They're pulling back, they're not pulling back. They're spending well, gas is cheaper, so people are spending money elsewhere. Where do you see the consumer right now? And we are going, I mean Thanksgivings over, we are in the heart of the shopping season. Now where do you see the consumer?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So, unfortunately, I think sentiment tells you a lot about what you need to know about the US consumer. And sentiment has been deteriorating very rapidly over the last couple of months after it recovered a little bit in early twenty twenty three. And the biggest conundrum with respect to sentiment is this occurred without an increasing gas prices. Normally, the consumer is pretty predictable. When they see gas prices accelerating, they get a little bit, you know, they get a little bit bummed out. They don't feel great, They have to spend more at the pump, and so they spend less elsewhere, and that definitely happened in parts of twenty twenty two. But we've seen gas prices actually correcting for the last several weeks. Gas prices moving lower has not enabled to bump in consumer sentiments. So the consumer's a little bit bummed out.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 6: At the same time, we are seeing some minor job losses emerge or some weaknesses emerge in the broader job market, and that is filtering through to consumer confidence. Consumers are feeling just a little bit less confident than they have been in the last couple of years. It doesn't necessarily mean the consumer has to crash And I think that this is one thing that's really important to consider is we all think of two thousand and nine as the representative example, or two thousand and eight as the representative example of what to expect from the consumer, and that was one of the single worst recessions for the US consumer in US history. So that's not necessarily the outlook. Just because the consumer is feeling bummed out doesn't mean that their spending has to go through the floor and they crash out and they don't spend a dime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a tough comparison, it's.
Speaker 6: A really tough comparison. Instead, they may just incrementally pull back a little bit as they get a little bit more cautious with respect to their outlays. Nonetheless, that can have material impacts on sectors where earnings are somewhat sensitive to what's happening with that overall growth out look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the job market has consistently good, but we have seen some cracks. We've seen continuing claims rise. That means long term unemployed are having a little trouble right now. And I think that is where we're seeing the consumer pull back, the people who say, hey, I don't know what's going to happen in a month or a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And if you think about how that though impacts profits, and this is something that MI can I do a lot is really just analyze what's happening and inside the profit stream for the S and P five hundred as well as the Rustle two thousand, because profits are what drives stock prices. The economy doesn't necessarily drive stock prices, it's profits that do. Right, And if the consumer is reacting because many businesses are pulling back on their investment in employment, that actually impacts the earning stream in different ways than I think many people think, because if we're seeing job losses emerge, which we did and in little bits and pieces over the course of the last day teen months, but nonetheless we did see job losses emerge. If we see those job losses emerge, that means companies are spending less, which means their margins can improve, which means they actually can have earnings growth. This is what took a lot of folks by surprise throughout twenty twenty three, is the earnings environment actually improved quite materially. Even though the economy was generally decelerating for much of this year, we did see profit growth emerge in the second half of this year. That's not because revenue growth got stronger. It's because companies were cutting costs.
Speaker 1: And we've seen that in information technology, Mike, You've seen some saying, well, maybe not going to you know, buy a whole new system of computers and mainframes. Have you seen Yeah, certainly.
Speaker 7: I think tech companies margin has been a driver for long term tech gains, especially last cycle, and I think that's really where they're focused. They can't really control what's going on in revenues. That's more economically sensitive, so everybody's going to focus on the margin line and how they can improve their business. And I'll just add that the trends that Genus pointing out are also evident in small caps, right, So small cap net income margins are actually starting to improve. They hit a bottom a few quarters ago and they're starting to move upward, and that's causing some earnings growth in the Russell two thousand when it's been pretty much a dearth for over a year. So an interesting trend of merging there.
Speaker 1: Well, as we start to wrap up, we talked about some sectors that have been in real trouble. Let's go back to the ones that are doing really well. AI fueled information technology sector is doing really well. You spoke of a few others. What can investors look forward to in the final month of the year.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so the final month of the year. I want to point out though, the valuations on tech. We keep talking about tech. Tech valuations are the only it's the only sector trading above its pre pandemic norm pretty much by a wide margin. If you look at everything else in the S and P five hundred, it's cheap to that pre pandemic five year average. So there's a bit of a dichotomy there in the S and P five hundred, and I'm really watching that going into the end of the year. I mentioned the communitycation stocks before having strong earnings growth. Communications actually is the cheapest sector in the S and P five hundred right now if you look at their megacaps, Alphabet, Matta, Disney, Netflix, all cheap to their pre pandemic five year averages, which is in stark contrast to everything else that's going on in tech, with Apple, Microsoft and Nvidia trading well above those averages. So that's what I'm watching the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a lot to look forward to. And our thanks to Bloomberg Intelligence Chief Equity Strategist Gina Martin Adams and our colleague Bloomberg Intelligence Equity strategist Michael Casper. Thank you both for being here.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much for having us.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Coming up on Bloomberg day Break Weekend will take you to Europe to see how the mortgage and real estate markets in Britain are holding up. I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. Up later in our program, as Congress returns from their holiday break, we preview the upcoming budget battles for the house in the new year. But first, in the UK, inflation is slowing, but the Bank of England is warning against any expectations of an interest rate cut. Cold comfort for suffering homeowners following fourteen rate hikes by the Central Bank. There. Fresh data in the coming days will tell us how the mortgage and real estate markets in Britain are holding up. And for more, let's go to London and bring in Bloomberg Daybreak europe Banker Caroline Hepgar Tom.
Speaker 2: Economists say that the UK housing market is in the middle of a slow puncture, so we're watching the upcoming data on mortgage lending and house prices carefully. Figures last month from Halifax and nationwide showed a slight uptick in prices, but also a major slow down in the number of sales. Economists, including our own nirvaj Sha, warned that prices still have further to fall. Joining me now to discuss is our economics report Lucy White and our European real Estate reported Damien Shepherd, you can tell us all about how the housing market is actually holding up. Damien, can you just talk us through where the UK housing market is at the moment. It's sort of quite difficult to discern that sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 9: I think the main two things that people have their iron at the moment is where a house price is at and where a mortgage rate's at. In terms of the latter, mortgage rates are extremely high but steadily declining, And in terms of house prices, again we're seeing some steady declines, but not necessarily the doomsday predictions that we had at the back end of twenty twenty two. So there's some housing data coming out next week which should point us perhaps more in the direction as to where we're going. But we're in a period where buyers are looking at the market and thinking I'm priced out a lot of them are anyway, And at the same time, sellers will have a lot of nerves about where the value of their properties going. So in a bit of a strange period as we enter the winter, do.
Speaker 2: You expect the house prices to continue falling then? And sort of how severe? Because who's as I mentioned Niral Shah saying is actually a slow puncture. A lot of people had really thought, had not you know, completely discounted the idea for crash, But we don't seem to be in that position now. How far how fast do you think prices are falling?
Speaker 9: I think slow puncture is a really great definition for what's happening. I think we're in a period where the buyers are looking at the headlines and thinking I should be getting a discount if I'm buying a property now, And at the same time, you've got sellers who you know, aren't willing to come to terms with the fact that their house price is probably not worth what it was, you know, eighteen months ago. So I think once those you know, two things come together and buyers and sellers start to see more eye to eye, then we'll start to see those house prices accelerate more.
Speaker 2: Lucy White want to bring you in on this point. Then the relationship between the housing data that we get and the UK's overall economic position, I mean, the housing market is is a fundamental bedrock of the economy.
Speaker 10: Absolutely. I think this is one of the tensions that's really holding back any further force in prices at the moment is that actually, you know, we've had a lot of talk about a recession, but we haven't necessarily seen that yet, and in some ways the economy has held up a lot better than we might have expected in the aftermath of the pandemic. So what's actually holding back any further declines at the moment is the fact that we're not really seeing huge losses in the labor market. You know, we're not seeing huge rises in unemployment. And while there's no force selling, there's a real constraint on supply at the moment, so you know, people aren't being forced to sell their homes, so you know, there's nothing really pushing the house prices down. At the same time, you know, we've got buyers, as you say, constrained by you know, very high mortgage prices. So I think, you know, as long as the Bank of England base rate remains where it is at the moment, you know, we're not going to see mortgage rates hugely come down. A lot of economists I'm just talking to you are saying that we're not going to really see any any huge change in the mortgage rates until the Bank of England starts cutting its rate. Whether that is you know, as the market's expecting sometime next year or you know, the Bank of England is pushing back on that a little bit and saying, you know, it's going to be later and remains to be seen.
Speaker 2: And also of course the impact that people remortgaging has on consumer spending. I mean, you've got something like one point six million people who are still about to face a kind of a repricing in their mortgage, will have to re mortgage their homes. That could be a very significant effect that has yet to hit the economy.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, yeah. And whether we see you know, kind of people deciding to downgrade into smaller properties as that happens, it's still kind of up in the air at the moment. But you know, as we say, as you say, the Bank of England is thinking that around half of its monetary tightening, you know, those rate hikes that have happened since December twenty twenty one, about half the effect of that has been felt in the economy me so far. And partly that is because you know, we've got a lot more people now on fixed rate mortgages than we did have in the past, and they're not really feeling the effect of those base rate hikes until their fixed term comes to an end, and as you say, several of those are going to be next year, and that's when a lot of people really might start feeling the pain.
Speaker 2: Lucy, I wonder whether you were struck by you know, you're talking about young people, Damien, that the recent surveys around the number of young people you know who, especially those who are renting, who are leaving London and the Southeast because of affordability issues. I mean, the effect again on the UK economy is very significant in terms of you know, the property bonanza sort of helps fuel the wealth of many millions of people, but it has been really quite destructive to opportunities for others, especially perhaps younger people.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, yeah, and you know, we're seeing a lot of data at the moment saying that you know, if you can afford to buy a house, it's better than renting. You know, it's more cost effective than renting, and that's just not really an option for so many young people, as Damien was saying, because supply is so constrained in those hot spots like London. And as you say, we are seeing more and more evidence that younger people are starting to move out of the capital to find opportunities elsewhere. Anecdotally, I've been hearing from several businesses who are kind of saying, we're really struggling to recruit some of those younger graduate jobs because people just can't afford to live here anymore. You know, they're going to Manchester or Birmingham or Liverpool, and that's going to be a real problem, I think, especially as businesses try and you know, find people at that at that lower end of the scale. And it's worth saying as well that this is going to be a double edged sword for rishie Zunak ahead of an election next year because on the one hand, you know, his traditional voter base tend to be older people who don't want to see a fall in house prices. You know, they're sitting on properties that they've and they're very happy with the way things are going. But at the same time, the millennial generation is the first generation that isn't growing more conservative as it gets older, possibly because of you know, issues like house prices, and that's going to be a real challenge for the Conservative Party as it needs to you know, retain popularity among some of those age groups in.
Speaker 2: Terms of higher for longer then There's another argument though, in terms of the Bank of England keeping interest rates you know, perhaps higher for longer, which is still the theme that officials are talking about, that actually that can be absorbed, that the period of time over which will happen, that it's a normalization of interest rates, and that that can be absorbed that sort of strategy. How do we think about higher for longer From the Bank of England.
Speaker 10: I think it's something that they're really pushing on at the moment because they need to make sure that those inflation expectations among you know, people in the economy are anchored. You know, they don't want to end up in a situation like we were getting towards, you know, earlier this year, perhaps where people are thinking, oh, you know, inflation has been so high for so long that I don't believe it's going to come back down to two percent, which is where it's supposed to be, and for that reason they start bargaining up their wages again, inflation ends up in a sort of self sustaining doom loop essentially, So the Bank of England really is kind of trying to hammer home that message that we will stay high for as long as we need to.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Bloomberg Economics reporter Lucy White and our European real estate report at Damien Shepherd. Really great to have you on Bloomberg Radio. I'm Caroline Hepgar here in London. You can catch us every weekday morning for Bloomberg Daybreak. You're at beginning at six am in London. That's one am on Wall Street.
Speaker 1: Tom our thanks to Bloomberg day Break Europe Banker Caroline Hepgar and coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend. It's a big week ahead in South Korea. We'll get a preview of what we can expect. I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. Will the Bank of Korea keep the door open for another possible rate hike from the current three point five percent? Or will it keep its restrictive policy in place for longer after prices rose more than expected last month? For more, let's get to Bloomberg Daybreak Asia co host Doug Krisner.
Speaker 3: Tom, there are several positives for South Korea exports are recovering, the labor market has been resilient, and the economy is still expanding. Now the glaring negative. South Korea's household debt increased last quarter to a record. We want to take a closer look now with Bloomberg's Paul Jackson, who covers the economies of South Korea and Japan. He joins us from our studios in Tokyo. Paul, it's always a pleasure. So South Korea has avoided recession. We know that the Bank of Korea was one of the first global central banks to hike rates. I think there was a total of about three hundred basis points and tightening between August twenty one and January twenty three. Now, since January, the BOK has kept that key rate restrictive and it's done so for five consecutive meetings. So we have a policy meeting in the coming week. I mentioned the fact that household dead is elevated. It seems like tighter credit conditions are warranted. So what's next for the BOKA.
Speaker 11: Well, I think they're going to keep with this hawkish hold stance. It makes a lot of sense for them. They kind of threaten to go higher. They talk about taking rates higher if needed, but really I think we've got into a situation where it's about keeping the rate where it is at three point five percent, which is the highest it's been since two thousand and eight. So it is pretty restrictive, and it's a case of keeping this in place for longer rather than going higher. And we spoke to an ex board member just earlier this month, and that was kind of a view that he adhered to, that it's a case of sticking at this three point five percent for longer rather than pushing it higher. Now, we have seen some challenges to the central banks inflation few and for economists too, because we're up to three point eight percent again, and you know, we were down in the two percent range earlier in the year, so things have been heating up. This is not exactly what you're wanting to see if you're an inflation fighting a bank. But given these household debt concerns and so on, I think they just want to keep it at the sweet spot of three point five percent.
Speaker 3: So is anyone concerned about stress in the overall financial system as a result of household at being so high? Has that been a concern at this point.
Speaker 11: I think it has been a concern, and in terms of dealing with that issue, I think the property market is a key supplier of this household debt, the key factor in this household debt. So it's been a case of ensuring that the property market doesn't crash. Now in actual fact, well there was a fall in prices. Everything's on the rise again and that's been one of the reasons why the household debt started to rise again. So I think some of these measures that the government took to ensure that the property market didn't crash maybe been a bit too successful and now feeding into the debt. So maybe it's a case of the government needing to pair back some of its extra measures to support the property market. That's the better way forward than getting the Bank of Korea to change policy, which is more like moving your super tanker in the ocean. It's not something you want to do lightly.
Speaker 3: So very quickly. What did the government do to support the property market to keep things from crashing.
Speaker 11: Well, I think it's just a case of enabling people to take out loans to buy, and also to support those owners looking to turn over their properties and put more out into the market. Keeping the liquidity going in place.
Speaker 3: It's South Korea is such an important bell weather for global trade. I think exports account for roughly forty percent of GDP. We're talking about semiconductors, we're talking about automobiles, even cargo ships. How is the export side of the economy functioning? And given the fact that you know, China is still weak, we've got weakness in Europe. I mean, is that showing up in the data.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think we're you know, we are seeing that the figures not just in South Korea but also in Japan and around the region. Still fairly feeble for China, but showing signs of improvement. I think the overall export picture is starting to look rosier for South Korea. We have had the first rise year on year last month, and we've got preliminary data for November also pointing to a further gain this month. And remember the exports did help lift GDP in the last quarter. We're expecting a year on year growth to be about two percent in the last quarter. That's the economist's view. So that should take us to about one point four percent for the year, which is in line with the IMF forecast. A note also The IMF released its report last week on South Korea and says, hey, Bank of Career should really just stay where it is, keep policy going, and exports should help to lift the economy next year for growth over two percent two point four percent.
Speaker 3: Obviously, the currency is a big part of the trade story, and the Korean one has been holding up reasonably well, particularly against the dollar. If the FED now begins to make a minor change in policy, Let's assume for the moment that the FED is on hold and maybe in fact we get raid cuts mid twenty twenty four. What would be the outlook then for the Korean currency? Wouldn't it strengthen? And might that not be a negative when you consider the trade story.
Speaker 11: Well, I think that the one has been at very low levels. We're in a better position than we were a year ago. I mean, in the fall of last year it was pushing four hundred and fifty, which was seen as very very weak for the one. We're in a better place now would below oney three hundred, so hey, a bit more strengthening. I don't think that's going to be too bad, and I don't think policymakers are going to be too concerned about that it's really been the weakness that has been the concern up till now.
Speaker 3: So we were talking about the importance of trade, and I know that the South Korean president was recently in the UK looking to establish a free trade agreement. What do we know about that?
Speaker 11: Yeah, so President Yun has been in the UK this week. He met King Charles the Third and also Prime Minister Rishi Sinak and they're essentially launched kind of officially the trade negotiations between the two sides. Now, if you think back to Brexit, when the UK left the EU, you know they had to quickly renegotiate trade agreements with some key countries and Career was one of them. But essentially all the conditions in the agreement they've got in place at the moment are just like copycat, you know, what they had during the time of membership of the EU. So now these latest round of negotiations should give you know, more concrete signs of whether you know, there's an actual change in the trade relations that's more favorable to both countries. And let's face it, for the UK that's probably more important to them because they've got to justify this move out of the EU, which hasn't been a great success so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and I would imagine a lot of the focus is going to be on critical technologies. I'm thinking artificial intelligence, quantum computing, semiconductors obviously, do I have that right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's right. The corporation is going to be a lot of that. They have announced more research funding for UK and South Korea to be looking into those areas of artificial intelligence semiconductors, as you mentioned, So that's a key point of the cooperation between the two sides.
Speaker 3: Paul, it's always a pleasure. Thank you so much for spending some time to chat with us. Bloomberg's Paul Jackson. He covers the economies of South Korea and Japan for us from our bureau in Tokyo. I'm Doug Krisner. You can catch Brian Curtison myself weekdays here for Bloomberg day Break Asia, beginning at seven am in Hong Kong six pm on Wall Street.
Speaker 1: Tom, Thank you, Doug, and coming up on Bloomberg Daybreak weekend, the House getting ready to return from its Thanksgiving break with a very long to do list for lawmakers as they head back to the capital. I'm Tom Busby, and this is Bloomberg. I'm Tom Busby in New York with your global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. And it's a busy week on Capitol Hill as lawmakers return from their Thanksgiving break. For more, Let's head to our Bloomberg ninety nine one newsroom in Washington and Bloomberg's sound on co host Kaylee Lines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Tom. After enjoying the Thanksgiving holiday at home with their families, lawmakers may find their thankfulness slowly morphing into dread as they return to Washington to face a lot of business that they have to deal with, and it might not be easy. Joining us now for more on the long to deal list Bloomberg's Billy House who covers Congress for us. So, Billy first and foremost, let's talk about funding, because, of course, before they left for Thanksgiving, Congress passed a continuing resolution kicked the can down the road to two different funding deadlines January nineteenth and February second. It still might be far away enough that they aren't going to face the real pressure to get it figured out for a while. What's your sense?
Speaker 8: That's absolutely correct. What they did was avoid what we've seen in recent years jamming by one party or the other of a bill right before Christmas. But what new Speaker Mike Johnson did do in the Senate followed up by approving it was past a CR or current funding levels, a different approach, a two step approach. It would see some agencies come up for expiration of that funding in on January nineteenth and others on February twentieth. That's a two step sort of now deadline that he faces. That might have seemed like a good idea, but as the days go by, we see more of his people upset about that approach, saying it's very very much like his predecessor Kevin McCarthy as Speaker and relied on Democratic votes to get passed in the House. So there's been a lot of upset over that, and that will play out over the next week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. It's very similar in that it was a clean continuing resolution, no spending cuts included, and passed with overwhelming Democratic support. And yet it seems like, at least for the time being, Mike Johnson, the new Speaker, got away with it. I just wonder how long realistically that grace is going to last, how stable at footing his speakership is on.
Speaker 8: Well, it is the same mass that plagued or be deviled McCarthy with the filling of a new swearing in of a Republican this week after last week's election in Utah, Johnson can only afford to lose now four Republican votes on party line votes. That's the same math that led McCarthy to have to make deals with Democrats on almost every spending bill. That's not going to change for Johnson early next year. And so the question is he has said he's not going to do any more stopgapp spending bills known as continuing resolutions, as he just did. But how is he going to pass anything without Democrats? And that's going to be the big deal when his conservative far rank, far right rank flank wants deep spending cuts and changes to policies.
Speaker 4: And of course that's just on the appropriations side of the equation. There's also the question of emergency funding for Israel and Ukraine. Is that realistically something that could happen before the end of this year.
Speaker 8: That's the goal is to do it by mid December or by the end of the year. But and Senate supporters of the Ukraine aid anyway in both and backers in both parties are negotiating on some way out of that. The outlook in the House again is murkier because the conservatives there that are demanding stark immigration changes as part of that package, and the Senate Democrats who control that chamber just aren't going to go along with some of the things that are being floaded by the House Republicans. So that's still murky. And then there's a course aid to Israel. As time goes on and more and more public opposition shin or the polls starts showing less support for continuing levels of Israel funding, that's murk here too.
Speaker 4: All Right, well, I guess we'll see. I would imagine that George Santos wasn't feeling super thankfulness thanksgiving. Billy House, Bloomberg Congressional reporter, thank you so much, and Tom again, that to do list is long.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Kaylee. That was Bloomberg sound On co host Kaylee Lines reporting from our Bloomberg ninety nine to one newsroom in Washington, and you can hear sound on weekdays one to three pm Wall Street time on Bloomberg Radio. And that does it for this edition. Of Bloomberg day Break weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street Time for the latest on the market's overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Tom Buzzbeak. Stay with us. Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.