Speaker 1: Lute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to software radio, special Operations, military nails and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: In a world where information overload can cloud judgment, one platform stands out in the intelligence landscape. Meet five cast, the future of data driven decision making. Five cast is not just software, it's your strategic advantage. Using advanced analytics, it turns vast amounts of data into actionable insights, ensuring that security and defense professionals stay head of the curve, from identifying threats to predicting trends. Five cast empowers you with the intelligence you need when you need it. Trusted by global organizations, it's the tool for those who refuse to settle for the ordinary. Are you ready to transform your data into decisive action? Visit fivecast dot com now and step into a world of clarity and foresight. Hi, and welcome to a wonderful episode of soft rep Radio. I am the one and only your host rad that's right coming to you from Utah with the fireplace on. Because you guys, buy our merch. You go and check out the soft rep dot com site. You go to the merch store, you pick up some of those cool items that we have branded for you, and we really appreciate it, and it keeps us going, and it keeps us moving forward to keep these conversations coming to you every single week. Also, I want to talk about our book club. I'm passionate about it at soft rep dot com. Forward Slash Book hyphen Club. Go check it out. Check out The Cameleon, check out Brandon Webb's Blind Fear. Go check out these books and read something put some knowledge in your brain. And with that said, today's guest has something special that's close to him, that's close to me, It's probably close to a lot of us, you know, talking about veterans. We have so many of these conversations on our software podcast. So Jim Whaley, former Colonel correct, Yes, I am welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you, ran, pleasure to be here.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure to have you and your great smile lights up the screen. Mission roll call is something that you found and transition into after your military career. You've moved into Mission roll Call, but prior to that, I want to I always ask my guys, how old were you when you decided to enlist in the military.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was a freshman in college and I was on the track team at lock Haven State College now lock Haven University. I ran into a couple guys that were in RTC and they suggested that I look at that, and so I think I was probably about eighteen nineteen years old freshman in college, joined our TC. Was fortunate enough for them to give me a scholarship and paid for the rest of my college, which was the only way I was going to make it through. And then went in the army, which I thought was going to be for four years, and get out right, I went to aviation. So I came out as an aviator at Fort Rutger now Fort and Oversell. Thought I was going to do that for four years, but ended up loving the mission, loving the people I worked with, and traveled all over the world and made a full.
Speaker 2: Career of it. So as an aviator, I believe your resume says master aviator. Could you elaborate a little bit on the master aspect? I mean I get that there's you know, people are flying, but how did it master? What is that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So that just is given to you if you've gotten enough hours and enough years on active flight status and luckily for me, almost my entire career, I was an active flight status and flew constantly. I was an instructor pilot, taught night vision goggles, combat skills, advanced combat skills, so you know, I flew over twenty five twenty six hundred hours, wow, a lot of that under night vision goggles, and had a wonderful career. Met my wife who's a west Point graduate in a Chinook pilot.
Speaker 2: That's legit. I love west Point let alone, she's a Chinook pilot, you know.
Speaker 3: And in fact, we have three daughters in two of which you're in the active duty and one serving as in a non for profit helping military. So we're kind of committed to the cause here at the Waiy Clan.
Speaker 2: A very selfless oversight of yourself with your family there, sir. Just like giving up a lot of your puzzle pieces to build your family, right, you know what I mean? If you saw that meme, I kind of like it. It's like the dad pulls his puzzle pieces from his back to build his son. Yeah, you know exactly right.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's so much of it is nurture, a lot of its nature, but you know, you you want to still that pride in your kids. And luckily for me, I had three wonderful daughters that decided to continue to serve their country. Right, and my youngest daughter graduated from West Point like her mom. And in fact he's I know he's up. And in fact, we're leaving later or early this tomorrow morning to go see her in Korea where she's stationed.
Speaker 2: Wow. Well, congratulations to her. Big props. Okay, and thanks for being a part of our leadership in the military. To your daughter, we don't mind the dog. My cat might just jump up here and want to be pet as well.
Speaker 3: I have a golden retriever who thinks he's much more than just a golden retrier.
Speaker 2: Because he is. Because he is. We know who runs that house. Oh yeah, I was told animals only talk to us when they want to eat. That's right. I think my cat's meowing at me, loving me. She's just like, I'm either going to eat you or feed me. That's right. Now. You say under night vision, I just think of like night stalkers, right, the guys that fly a lot of night vision style. I mean, all pilots should be trained with you know, night vision.
Speaker 3: They are, they are and It's an important aspect of how Army aviation takes the fight right and delivers our customer to the location they need to be. And it's an integral part of when you start as an early aviator right out of flight school. And of course you know, the United States Army owns the night, especially when it comes to be able to deploy operators all over the world.
Speaker 2: A hundred percent. I mean it's just those green eyes and you know, just dropping them down. It's way You're way cool. I'm trying to keep it inside. How cool you are? Right, this is me being like, you're so cool. Brok. Yeah, you're welcome. And what was your favorite thing to fly?
Speaker 3: You know, I loved every airframe I was for to fly. I started out in Hughey's and then when I went to Germany, I became a fifty eight pilot because I was in the Armored Division. They needed scout helicopter pilots to kind of get the cobra's back then to where they needed to be. And then came back as an instructor pilot in Hughey's and then went to Panama as a black Hawk guy, and then went back to Germany as a black Hawk maintenance guy. So I had a wonderful career to be fortunate enough to be in the seat flying whole time. My last assignment was at West Point to run communications public affairs for them during the bi centennial. But I was still on flight status because I had night vision goggle skills and I was able to still stay in flight status and fly. So that was fun.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, and you still fly today for.
Speaker 3: No you know, I don't. I just look at that as a great chapter in my life and I've moved on and I went into the corporate world for a number of years, about fifteen years in corporate America after I retired, and always focused on corporate communications, public affairs, public relations. Worked for two Rand Communications for two fortune five hundred companies, so had great teams around me and enjoyed that part of my life. And now in the nonprofit world, mission rules coming back to where my roots are. It's an important mission. I remember as a lieutenant passing the hat to my commander right of throwing in twenty bucks so we could make sure all the troops had a good Thanksgiving and that need is still there. Unfortunately, you know, we have almost twenty five percent of our active duty in a place where they're food insecure, and that means that they are not getting the nutrition that they need. They don't have the financial capabilities to do that. That's just one aspect, and I just feel our nation can do much better.
Speaker 2: You know, I have a friend who's in the military currently right now, young man probably pushing twenty five, okay, struggling for a home, struggling to stay off the street, not by choice, just by situations, okay, you know, to where I'm like, how can I help?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What do I have as an asset for this guy? You know, our circle's like, how do we just He's like, can I just have your Can I just stay in a bathroom? You know, I'll just stay there and I won't be a problem. I'll just keep a small caught And I'm like, I know you will. I know you will, and I know you won't be a problem. I know you'll be that guy. Right. It's like, you know, is there and he's in and he has work and it's still and you know, I can only imagine somebody who's maybe transitioned out, only knew the life of you know, a regimented situation here's your three squares a day. You're gonna do pet in the morning. You got your clothes, you got your you got your shampoo from the PX. You know that you can afford. But then you're out, You get out, you transition out. You're like, I'm out of the military. But then where.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I think there's an enormous challenge for our society to address this. Right when you think about there's about eighteen and a half million veterans in our country. Half of those are not affiliated with any not for profit or organizations, so they've left the military and they're completely gone. So we're trying to harness that through our mission roll Call, because we want to be the voice of veterans and bring these issues to the right people, to share those stories with decision makers at the state, local, and federal level, but also to engage the American population. You know, there's only zero point four percent serve and only one percent of any kind of connection to the military, so there's a chasm between what the average American knows about the military. With that said, the majority of Americans eighty eight percent, eighty nine percent support the military. They and that's what's great about the United States. We've always honored and respected our military, with some brief interludes in their Vietnam and some other times, but we've always had a great respect for our military and honored them. And we all saw it as kids, and we see it today on Memorial Day and what have you?
Speaker 2: Just recently Veterans Day Right, we had day here.
Speaker 3: You know, it is clear we have a lot of work to do because out of that eighteen point five million, over a million are homeless.
Speaker 2: Right of veterans that's a law.
Speaker 3: Still have a high suicide rate, you know, twenty two plus, and there's numbers that indicate that that is much higher than that because in many cases the veteran is not identified as.
Speaker 2: A veteran right.
Speaker 3: So we have an enormous challenge our nation needs to face, and we need to hold our elected officials and others accountable, including the VA, on what they're doing and what they're going to do to address these issues. I think it's vitally important that we take care of our active duty and we take care of our veterans. It is the fabric of our nation, literally, right. If you pull that strain, it starts to unravel and you can only look at the newspaper, let's say, or the news or even any kind of feed that you get and understand that the world is not getting any safer. We have a lot of adversaries around the world. We are struggling right now to hit recruitment goals. The armies down fifteen thousand have had to adjust their folks on where they are stationed and have to rotate, and of course that up tempo now forces more people out because they can't handle it, and they're not addressing that issue. The senior leadership is not addressing that next.
Speaker 2: So they're not they're not giving like the olive branch to the kid who may fail the as fab getting in and it may need some help. And they're like, you know, I was talking to another guest, a former colonel, and he said, you know, rad, maybe what the military should do is offer like a first tier program for somebody who may be struggling trying to get a career in the military. They go meet a career counselor at the recruiting office. They talk to the recruiter and he's like, oh, you just don't pass you no good. You know what's not passing? Maybe I didn't do my mechanical enough, you know, can you educate me? Maybe I need to do a little more PT. I like what the Marines do. They have that Pulei program where you want to come into the Marine Corps, you're going to kind of start stepping into physical training. They want to make sure they're setting you up for success when you get to boot because they know the mental part is in your head. The physical part that just doesn't come overnight. You got to be able body. You got to be willing to run your two mile, you know, minimum qualification, your planks, your sit ups, your you know, your physical fitness test. That's probably like one of the biggest hindrance I think people sucking on soda pop these days, is you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean, I don't know what the I was looking at my notes here. I had it, but I don't have it on the top of my head, and I don't want to misquote, but I think, sure it's less than nine percent of our population can serve, you know.
Speaker 2: So that's say to our metrics what we demand for a military person.
Speaker 3: And your point is is maybe we need to adjust those metrics, And I wholeheartedly agree. I mean, we have to think about that. And we also have to think about how do you go in the military for a few years, go to the civilian world, maybe get some more skills, and then come back to the military. You try to do that now as next to impossible. You may be able to go in the reserves and National Guard, but you won't be able to get back on active duty. So we need to rethink that. I mean, I look at my own career. When I retired, I was forty two. I had so young. I just made six below the zone and they let me go and I went into the business world, and then I was there for a few years, and I thought, boy, if I knew what I know now back as a as a young colonel, or I could really affect the way we communicate as an organization. But of course there's no way to do that, and I was and it was not even an option, so it was really no real thought for that. I just continued with my civilian career.
Speaker 2: What do you think about the sixty five mandate? You know, where if you're sixty five, you're done. You know what if your brain's sixty six and you're like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, I know, darn well, I know sixty year olds. I'm close to sixty two now. I still stay physically fit. I still run, I still work out, and I know when I was on active duty there were some twenty year olds that were not physically fit. So I mean, we just have to adjust things. But I think more importantly, we have to think about how we are actually paying and taking care of the military. And I want to bring that up and spend a little time on it, right if you don't mind. And that is when I went to active duty, and I went to my first platoon that had, you know, eighty plus guys in it, and they were in the barracks. The majority of those eighty guys that were in the aviation unit lived in the barracks. They were single guys, always causing green, but all good guys. They would spend their salary on going downtown and having a drink. And I was in Germany at the time, so you know, many a couple of beers was maybe these guys and maybe a couple more. But they were all good fellows at their goals and I loved them. But they were in the barracks. So when it got to the end of the month, and maybe they didn't have a lot of money, they could still go to the chow hall and get food. They had a warm cot or bed to sleep in, they had you know, the little infrastructure that is, they got sick, somebody could take care of them. Well, now the majority of those people that are joining junior listed are coming in with families. They're coming in with a dependent who's a grandmom. They might be bringing their parents in hiss dependence. And now you're paying them thirty five thousand dollars a year and hoping that's going to work out and it's not. And then there's organizations that are not making it easy for them to be able to go to a food bank. Maybe they don't have a car, all those sort of things. Need to think about the salary because the salaries not where it should be. And you know, there has been some senators that have brought this to the military's attention. Senator Ernst from Iowa, for example, pushed for junior lists to get more pay. The generals responded, no, we don't want to do that because we'd have to raise everybody's pay. No, the focus there was on junior ualistic coming in the military. Let's let's solve one problem at a time. That's right, But they obviously didn't embrace that.
Speaker 2: They can't embrace anything right now. Over there, they're the Congress is just a complete shuttered situation. They're not even promoting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Senator Tubberville's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I don't even want to like get political on this, but I'm like, what are you doing? Man? I get over it?
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know, there's a lot of challenges, and I think the average American just doesn't see those challenges. And you know, and I get some great feedback from my daughters and people I still know on active duty and so and my team does.
Speaker 2: I for sure as hell. I'm never going to tell your daughters what they can or cannot do with themselves, sir.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: I want you to know that right now. And if they're listening to this, and if any of my listeners are impressionable right now, Yeah, women rule the world. Don't you ever forget that? And I promise you every single one of us came from a vagina. Okay, prove me wrong. Okay, And until you could prove me wrong in the comments down below, I don't want to hear it. Okay, Women rule the world, sir, and I'm just going to leave it at that.
Speaker 3: Well, certainly they certainly do in my household.
Speaker 2: And in my household, maybe we're just four.
Speaker 3: For women in the house, Sir. I knew what my role was, yes, and that was to protect and provide, and that's about it. It's maybe, but I feel, I feel we're at a crossroads as a country, as a nation, and because there's so many outside influences right now on the world stage. I mean, we see that, you know. I mean, China has one hundred and fifteen infantry divisions, thirty five artillery divisions, about twenty five armored divisions. The United States Army has ten divisions total. That's just one potential adversary. Let's look at Iran and then Russia. I mean, there's a lot of adversaries or potential adversaries out there on the world stage. And now we have a military that's not hitting the recruitment numbers, and we have twenty five percent of them that are food insecure. You don't have to be no stradamus to look into that situation and say, oh, this is probably leading to something that's bad. And I feel that where a mission roll call comes in is sharing those stories, sharing those challenges, amplifying the message that we're hearing from our veterans and their families. We're not just we just don't have military membership. We have family membership, spouse membership. As we were talking before in the green room, we shared, you know, spouses. Your mom was a military spouse, and my wife when she got out of the military, she was still in the military. She just wasn't getting paid for it, right she was. We were moving kids around all over the world. Out of twenty years in the military, we spent eleven overseas, so she wasn't get paid for that. But certainly she was involved with helping enlisted troops, of being in organizations that gave back to the organization, the Army organization. So there's a lot of things going on, and I think we just need to understand we're not in a great place as a military. We have great people that you know, what never changes is that the people that joined the military, you, myself, every one of your listeners that have or been involved, we join it because we want to serve our country and we want to be part of something bigger than ourselves. We all wrote a blank chat that said we're willing to dive in the defense of our country. That has never changed and hopefully never will change. Right, but the support of those people has changed. And I was speaking last night to the Daughters of the American Revolution here in South Carolina, and I thought I would talk to them a little bit about what the conditions were at the Revolutionary War and where we are now. And I pointed out to them that after the Revolutionary War, the government could not pay the troops. Many of them didn't receive anything, didn't receive back pay, didn't receive medical care. In some cases, states gave them land in lieu of cash, but of course that land was in territories that were already held by Native Americans. So it just wasn't to give me. You had to survive to get that land. And so we've had this history of relying on these important people to maintain our freedoms, to win our free but then we don't take care of it.
Speaker 2: Right. We expect them to be there and expect this. You know, body armor around America, right, everybody expects it. That we're America, we have it. But if you're right, you're one hundred percent we're right, you know, we got to take care of those that come out. And fortunately I've been to other I've been to England and seeing veterans over there talking about how they have a lack of care and a lack of the hospital like we have a VA administration. At least they have like charities over there that they have to get vetted through to get their benefits, to get help with, you know, through a charity, and that's if the person's passionate about their charity and can get them into their over Here, at least we do have the hospitals that we can complain about and that we can talk. It's a student hospital and you know a lot of these folks there, but at least we have it, okay. And joining the military, I knew that was existing, you know, as a military brat, I think I had a little bit more insight right to the military world. Like you mentioned, I never really thought about that. I think, oh, hey, doesn't everybody wear a green beret on base? Right? You know that's what that war? But no, no, it's it's crazy, man. I don't sometimes.
Speaker 3: And I also feel like one of the reasons why all the services are struggling with recruitment is because well, if you're a parent and your kid comes to see you about this, and then you hear about these horror stories of the VA not responding, not taking care of their own, you're probably less apt to tell your kid to go join an organization that's not going to take care of you if something goes bad. I mean that's what parents think, right, parents think and risk reward? Right, wasn't a risk associated with this for my loved one? And then, of course the other piece is when you hear stats of people on active duty not being able to make ends meet, not being able to provide for their family, that you can understand why some say, well maybe that's not a great career move for you, and we need to change that dialogue. We need to change that paradigm.
Speaker 2: You know. I remember my mom and dad having a conversation jokingly around the table in the eighties about his paycheck. He's like, you know, VICKI I think it's about two dollars and twenty seven cents an hour. Because he was like, I'm twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. What's my paycheck? He's like, so for someone who jumps out of an airplane, and it's right yeah, exactly two bucks an hour on active duty, you know, and that was in the eighties. But I'll tell you, we did have a house, you know, but we did have to use. My dad and momare Mormon, and I was raised in the Mormon faith the latter day saying, I'll call it what they wanted to be called. So and we had to use the bishop's warehouse because of y'all. I want to blame the tithing because they'd give the ten percent of the church, right, and then they would be looking for the ten percent to eat right, you know, because everything else has been depleted. But they're so faithful. But then we'd have to go and shop for the lettuce and the church cheese. And you know, I drank powdered milk bro you know. So my dad's like, oh, you don't know, kids eat cheerials with water. I was like no, He's like, watch, watch, watch, watch, And he put it in my bowl and he puts the water in it, and he's like, to eat it. I just sat at the table eating cereals with water. Yeah, He's like, your stomach's not going to know any difference, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's tough, dad, But a dad that did what he needed he.
Speaker 2: Had to do. Yeah, you had to give me, and yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Just feel that our country can do a lot better with that when you look at the federal budget and you look of where where money goes and what. Oh really, but I think the only way we do that is through organizations. The one that I'm fortunate enough to be part of a mission roll call, is to take all that what I mentioned earlier, out of that eighteen and a half million veterans right now, only half are affiliated with an American legion or via wor or what have you.
Speaker 2: Mostly out there right VFW and.
Speaker 3: You know, sometimes the VFW and the in the American legions and others, you know, they don't have the ability to take all those messages, all the things they're hearing and bring it to their constituents up at Capitol Hill. They have to synthesize that they have to take one hundred and eleven different points of contention and narrow it down to two or three that they think they can make a difference. And what we're trying to do is unfiltered, listen to the veteran through polls, through a number of other social media abilities to get those messages and then bring it straight to decision makers and be able to do that in a way that says, hey, Congressman Smith, you're in Colorado or Utah, this is what your constituents are saying, but you're doing. They want a but you're doing b Let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the.
Speaker 3: Way I think we change things in that. And by engaging and harnessing that voice, you can imagine if we can get eight million or half right of that eighteen man, let's say we get nine million to join the cost here more powerful block, then.
Speaker 2: A percent, a hundred percent. Is that dialogue.
Speaker 3: That's a much different conversation when you go into a senator's office or the VA in saying I'm representing nine million veterans the maybe want you to address.
Speaker 2: We got to either do this or it's conscription. Okay, it's either we sit here and help our fellow veterans who have voluntarily served, say Vietnam vets that are still here. I'm just saying that we're, you know, drafted into the war. If you want to avoid the draft and you want to avoid like the lottery and the number and your son little Billy's going off to war.
Speaker 3: Because you better get involved.
Speaker 2: You better get involved, you better work from grassroots ground, and you don't even have to start from the bottom. You can just go to Mission roll Call. And I'm sure Mission roll Call has avenues where they can reach out to you and say, hey, how can I help, How can I help? How can my philanthropy, you know help you. I don't. I can't take this with me to heaven because I'm such a good person. It's got to stay somewhere. So what does Mission roll Call need from me? You know, et cetera. You know, or maybe you are going to Hell and you don't want to take it with you. Maybe Mission roll Call can use your philanthropy. Okay, we're not going to Well, we all.
Speaker 3: Have invested we all have the invested interest in this, not just it's in the family of veterans. I mean, I mean, how many people are on the internet right now ordering something from Amazon?
Speaker 2: Seriously? Right?
Speaker 3: I mean how do you think that gets here? Through sea ways that are protected by the Navy, exact financial systems that are protected by the government, through roads and all those sort of things that are maintained because we have a military that are able to protect our way of.
Speaker 2: Life all of these assets for US. Yes, And I always say our number one export in America is our military because when I do war games here in Utah, which is one of my fortes here, and we dress up like as the fighters, Like there's everybody wants to be a Navy Seal or a Green Beret, you know, or a grunt like an infantry guy right like boots on the ground, you know. So when I talk to people overseas who are in the same you know, hobby as us, they're like, yeah, rad, can you get me like some Navy Seal pants or like, you know, some some authentic Green Brey uniform because it's like that's the best. We're the best. They want the best. They're not like, hey, give me the I want, like the Japanese Special Forces gear if it can fit me. But they're not wanting that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Well, and that's why those numbers of how many, I mean, of any institution in our country, yeah, Supreme Court, Congress, religious institutions, far and away, the top institution is the military when it comes from admiration and respect from the American people. See that anytime these past veterans a day when you watch the NFL or TV, there was a lot of veteran acknowledgment where I'd like to see it moved to is an acknowledgment that we can do better in supporting our veterans. There's one thing to say, I respect them, I honor them. There's quite a difference to putting that to action and into support. And I don't think we've harnessed that energy and that need enough. And you know, if the VA was doing everything it was supposed to be, we would not have forty thousand non for profits in the veterans space.
Speaker 2: Trying to fill these patch up the holes of this tire. Right.
Speaker 3: Well, you can imagine if that is a federal agency, right, and it is right, it's a huge federal agency. You can imagine if that and people have lost confidence in it, right, And there's all these areas that it needs to improve in, all these areas where there's gaps. And that's why we have nonprofits that are doing that anything providing a dog to somebody who needs who needs it, to getting groceries and many of those forty thousand or so non for profits or small niche in a community, one or two people, they're doing God's work, right, but they're addressing something in Ohio or Nebraska or Montana. You know, they're just in that geographic area. There's only a few really big ones. But you can imagine if we get to the point where we have a military that can't do the things they're supposed to do, who's gonna fill that gap?
Speaker 2: Who's going to fill your Amazon cart and deliver it to you? Bro? Okay, Like, if we're not taking care of it, you really hit it on the head. You know, all of these passageways, all of these roadways, all of this waterways, everything that we just take such granted, I take for granted. Just now on this conversation, you have enlightened me, like I didn't even think about, you know, like, oh yeah, the waterways, Oh yeah, they're protected out there. The Coast Guards cruiser around, but you know what they can't be if they're not getting numbers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and let's pause there for the Coast Guard. You know, the Coast Guard now falls under the Homeland Security Agency. You know, it wasn't that long ago I was working with USO UH and the budget you know, was not approved, and of course the federal government shut down. Well, the army and Navy, and all of them still get paid, right because it's part of the Pentagon, but not the Coast Guard. So we had to shift assets pretty quickly to open up food banks for.
Speaker 2: The Coast Guard.
Speaker 3: They don't get paid now, yet we still require them to do the things that they need to do.
Speaker 2: You know, that's not beggar. They're not begging. No, they're not.
Speaker 3: Like it happened, and the Coast Guard is probably it's just a wonderful organization that takes care of its people like no other. And I say that I'm an army guy, right, I believe lead Green.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get you, but I have a I have a daughter.
Speaker 3: In the Coast Guard. I know what the Coast Guard does have a lot.
Speaker 2: Of They fly the Dolphin helicopter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're very they and they do things that's the legit that you know, saving lives and that's their mission. But you know, really, our country, of our science can't figure out a way to make sure that they're getting paid when we can't figure out politically what to do. I mean, I think we expect more from our leaders than that.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do too actually kind of you know, it's like they went to Department of Homeland Security. They were under the military, you know umbrella, and you know, and everybody kind of doesn't realize that the Coast Guard is doing exactly that right.
Speaker 3: And you know, when you ask anyone who's been a on a situation where the Coastguard has come to save them and the rest of their life, they're indebted to the Coast Guard, and they and we take it for granted when you're on a cruise ship, or you're out on a fishing vessel, or or any number of things that the Coastguard does literally garding the United States coast which is quite large, and the Great Lakes correct and overseas, I mean, we forget that the Coastguard is over stations.
Speaker 2: They join up with the Navy, and you know, the Navy destroyer now becomes a Coast Guard vessel with three guys on board.
Speaker 3: And I think the reason was they wanted the law enforcement capability, which now right that the Coast Guard can do under the Homeland Security. So strategically understand that where I have a beef is the ability to make sure they continue to get paid. And I just feel like there needs to be some kind of an address of that issue so that they can continue to do that.
Speaker 2: Because right now they're actually talking about, you know, the funding for the for the for America.
Speaker 3: It's like it's every other month.
Speaker 2: We haven't. Yeah, and it wasn't though. You know, growing up, it was like Reagan and do Caucus or Bush and do Caucus and Clinton and you know Bush or you know al Gore and Bush. It was never like the budget never got met.
Speaker 3: So I, you know, we just we have to address these issues and we have to be vocal. And I feel like most veterans suffer in a quiet way, in an assuming way. I mean, we just we feel like we need we do our duty. We just need to suck it up and just try to take care of each other. And I think that's admirable and it's it's it's part of the ethos of the military, right you try not to complain, You take care of those around you, you do the mission. But I also feel that we need to band together and advocate for those that need help because elected officials are just not doing it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: There are some that veterans themselves and are doing great work to support I mentioned Joni Earst, But you know, you can't clone Joony Ernst, right, and there's others as well that are doing that. But I mean, we need to do more of that support for the military and address these issues. And it's it really bothers me, and I think it probably bothers you read and your listeners that we still are struggling with so many suicides. It was still struggling with homelessness, right, We're still struggling with a food insecurity, I mean, and.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm like, they're not out there bagging, you know. I mean, like the Coast Guard when they're furloughed from pay, they're still showing up and they're still working and they're feeling that they're protected because they're Americans. Yeah, working for America. They're like, this can't really be really right. You've got coffee in there, Bob, is there coffee in there? There's not coffee in the real house, sir. Where's the coffee? You know? They just want there and to have to open up food bags. That was my question. So, I mean, I'm used to going to like the Bishop's Warehouse, which was like a religious place here in Utah that would get our food. But we never had like a base, I know, there's like an E three and below store on Hill Air Force Base back in the day where if you're there, I.
Speaker 3: Think they've gotten rid of all those and I think there was a lot of pressure on the Pentagon, from the Pentagon to nonprofits to not do that because they felt it was embarrassing that they had food banks and that they're not in the food distribution business.
Speaker 2: And the East three and below store, you know, if you were below, you can go in.
Speaker 3: And get if you're that embarrassed, fix the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that shop was actually functional. It was like actually eco friendly. Because here's my size fourteen's I'm getting out of. I don't need them, so what do I go? Give them? The East three and below store and that anybody East three and below could go in the store and just grab it off the shelf if they needed a new pair of boot that would fit them right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, We're just our commanders need to be more focused on these issues, less political and more focusing.
Speaker 2: You know, eye wow.
Speaker 3: I was always taught that you take care of the people you're responsible for. That was your job in your primary mission. Without that, you can't do anything else. So I feel there's a gap there. Commanders need to think about that. I'm not saying that commanders some commander aren't. I'm just saying there's a problem and it doesn't seem to be getting fixed, and our country needs to address those issues. Hopefully people will look to us a mission, roll call, be supportive of us. Join, no costs to joining. We just need to hear your voice. And I feel once we build up that membership, then we get to the place where we can be more effective. But we're going to use the power of this of social media, We'll use the power of podcasts. We're going to use the power of all these platforms from LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, whatever, whatever it takes to coalesce that voice in a powerful way and do it in a way that brings other nonprofit leaders. Because there's so many great nonprofits that are doing things out there, but they're usually niche right their niches.
Speaker 2: It's true, like adaptive skiing, you gotta have you know, you got to fit into this boot to go skiing down the mountain because you lost both your legs and you know you got to reach out to them. And why can't the VA give recreational therapy all the time to people like, oh, yeah, you want rector you know you want oh you want pharma or recreational therapy. I bet ninety percent of everybody would say I'll take recreational therapy. Do you mean like I can go kayaking and that would make me feel better? Really? You mean there's organizations that you guys, as a military or a federal organization, can pay vouchers to to cover me to go to and I have to beg you for this. Well, and I don't.
Speaker 3: Think I don't think the VA, and this is really with any federal agencies. They just don't know how to partner with private industry, right. I mean, there is a lot of philanthropists out there that would love to address this issue that have the skill set to do so. I mean, let's face it, the federal government's not good at doing things. I mean, think about the Postal Service. I mean the Postal Service owned the ability to deliver mail, right, I mean not what they got paid to do it.
Speaker 2: That's it one job, right?
Speaker 3: And how many other organizations now are delivering your mail ups, FedEx, all these other organizations, right?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 3: Well, because you weren't doing it right, you weren't doing it fast enough. You weren't addressing the customer. It's the same with the VA. It's the inability to be entrepreneurial, quick on your feet, being able to adapt to the customer. And they do not have a customer.
Speaker 2: First, it's like molasses. Yeah, they're like behind the curveball. They're they're not They're like, yeah, you're so correct, right.
Speaker 3: I mean there's a lot of money that goes there's a lot of people working for the VA, and it was easy to fix. I realized somebody would have been able to do it by now. But we really need new thoughts on how to address those issues in an entrepreneurial way.
Speaker 2: And I'm not coming at the main man, the current you know general over the VA administration of his three hundred thousand you know staff and you know everything that he has to work with. But you know, I have had his former I had I think it was three star general on Loot Douglas Lout. I'm not sure if he was the one that was the transition, but nonetheless, I had the VA director on here one time and we were talking about exactly what we're talking about, and he said, at one point I looked at the roster and I had like three hundred thousand people that I'm staring at that work for me underneath the whole Veterans administration, let alone in Yeah, we're talking about how he was losing folks during COVID and it was just like his staff was just getting vacuumed a way because you know, everybody's like not able to help. It's just what do we do? What do we do? What do we do? Do we do we continue to do charities? Do we elect officials who promised promises and we don't see that happen and then they sit on their keyster or what?
Speaker 3: Well? I think we have to do what we're doing, and that is start organizations that are going to be grassroots that can harness people's energy and be nimble and do it that way and make change. I mean, that's the only way we change the core that we're on is to bring attention to these issues. And quite frankly, if I mean maybe veterans need to fix our fellow veterans in a way that we harness those sixteen million that are out there to this organization to help address those issues. They all have contacts, they have friends, they have companies, they're working for that kind of support is enormous and that's how you change the world. And that's you know, that's why this is important. And I think that we can do that. I think we have the vision for it. We just need we just we just stand it up right now as a separate five O one C three Right now, we've been a program, so we have some work to do. But I have great people that I'm working with that have the same passion or more than I do. So we're going to get there. We're going to be successful.
Speaker 2: Already working on it, right, we are getting the message out there. I have a friend of mine who I had, and he runs the Jedbird podcast and he just ran twenty two marathons in twenty two days to try to raise awareness about the whole twenty two to twenty two. Yeah. Yeah, yeah. It's not so much that you can sit at home and do push ups to stop suicide. Right, Somebody of their own, their own mindset, is going to do with what they want to do. Okay. I can't stop you from freedom of choice. In fact, I empower you to be freedom of choice. I can only tell you that we care about you, and if you want to talk to me you can reach me on social media and I've talked to many people at three am. My wife's like, who are talking to you? I'm like, I'm not sure, but it seems like they need to talk to me.
Speaker 3: And so no prank you for doing that. I mean, it's it's having it's breaking that chain, right, I mean, there's sometimes a phone call reaching out all of those sort of things, and that's the whole idea behind the name of mission roll call. We're doing a roll call here are you check? Hey Smith Jones, Schmuckatelli, are you there?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 3: That's what it is. So we're doing a roll call of our veterans saying we need help here, we need to address these issues. Let's band together and do that. We've done it before, we'll do it again. This is a new way of doing it because we're not filtering. We're apolitical. I don't have any preconceived political notions for people. What we want to do is let them speak for themselves and use that energy and use that mass of people to then affect change in a positive way. And that's I think is powerful. You know. I remember in the army we always said we defended democracy. We didn't. We didn't practice it. In this case, we are practicing democracy. We really do want our members to have different inviews.
Speaker 2: But the positions bring to us.
Speaker 3: These issues, and let's address it, and let's band together and figure out ways to change the course of history.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Really, it's true because we can do that, because we have done that. You know, a society has shown that we can move forward from you know, our transgressions and try to create a better future. And even though we can't fix the past, we can't change that, we can try not to let it happen by looking to the future and just not repeating. You know, you can give pay raises. When I hear it's like, oh, hey, the military is getting a one percent increase or two percent increase, I'm like, that's just like it's still not enough. Tell me you're giving them a twenty five percent increase.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we really, we really do relook that. And I don't understand why our senior leadership hasn't done that, from the Secretary of Defense.
Speaker 2: Down, correct.
Speaker 3: I mean I know that, you know, I don't pretend.
Speaker 2: To jump pay a month. I don't know if it's that much anymore. It's it's like a month.
Speaker 3: I get it. No one joins the military to become rich. But you shouldn't have to be going to a food pantry either.
Speaker 2: No, and you shouldn't have to, you know, even personal purchase as an officer, because you make an extra little bit more as an officer than your men do, because you're at this management level, because you went through college and to get this education so that you can bring a subject matter expert into the situation. So now you have to spend an extra thousand dollars on your combat gear because yeah, because that's that's not leading by example, because now you're showing that you guys have to go buy their combat gear. I know. I know your guys come to me and they're like, hey, rad, I need all the stuff that my guy has, but for less. And I'm like, deal, let's go. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, we have a lot of issues, we have a lot of issues we need to take on, but it's a noble cost that we're undertaking. And I feel I feel like we're going to make some headway with this. I feel like there's a lot of energy behind it. I feel like everyone I talked to say, yes, we need that. So we're bullied by that and we want to we want to expand and make a difference.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to find the general's name so I can shout him out. Who was in charge of the VA. I had him on the show, and I'm just kind of going through those real quick. But when I find it out, I'll be sure to put it in there. He was just making good sense, he said, rad we look at each other. Okay, So Douglas lut Okay, General Lout. He transitioned from George Bush to Obama in the administration, and he said, we got together because we said US Army, US Marines, US Coast Guard, and US Navy in front of us. You know, the politicalness was set aside, you know, because yeah, he came from a Republican president to a Democratic president, but he came prepared with sir, these are like the twenty five things that you need to recognize in the world today, and these are ready for you when you take office. And so he transitioned like that. He understood his transition of he can vote for whoever he wants. See, my dad told me one thing, he said, I said, Dad, who did you vote for in this election? This is when it was like du Caucus and Reagan and whatnot. Yeah, He's like, he's like, Aaron, I don't have to tell you that. And I was like, what, You're not going to tell me that. I go to the office with you, I hang out with you, You're not going to tell me. He's like, that's my right. I don't have to tell you who I vote for. As an American. I have that right and you have that right. And all the way up through taking them to the polling stations in his wheelchair when he wanted to vote before his passed away and tell you, I was like, what did you vote for? He's like, that is for me to know. And I was just like, you know, and I've always held on to that. And I'm saying, why people think I'm one way or another way? And they're always like calling me out or which way do you go? And I'm like, well, you'll just never know.
Speaker 3: Right, and you know, And that's that's why I think it's important for MRC to be a political on any given given day, on any given subject. Some people are going to think it's left or right, and we're so politicized now we understand that, but it's not going to hinder us from taking on these problems. I mean, food insecurity is not a Democrat or a Republican issue, It's an issue.
Speaker 2: It'sanitarian right.
Speaker 3: Twenty two plus veterans suicide today is not a Democrat problem or a Republican problem. It's a national problem. Yes, And that's the way we didn't need to go after it. And the great thing about Entrance is we love a challenge, right. We love two things. We love a hell top to take. We're different and we need we want to try to do it together and that's what we hope MRC will provide.
Speaker 2: I love that a Mission Roll Call is a very awesome, beautiful organization that you are working with and helping to help. And I know you're going into DC and I know you're trying to make a change, and I'm really proud of you, and I just want you to know that it's an honor to have you on the show to bring awareness to Mission roll Call. I have a lot of folks trying to hit me up all the time, say hey, can I bring my show up. Yeah, let's hear what you have to say. And I hear what they have to say, but I just want you to know you're really moving the needle in my heart. Okay, I just want you to know that.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Ed, And hopefully we'll do this on a frequent basis so I can report out to you on how we're doing.
Speaker 2: And I would be willing to give you a place on our website to have Mission roll call post up, like a weekly stats you can like, you know, it comes from you. You can have it on soft rep yep, and it would you be there, and so anybody that would, yeah, they can just click on the link. You could write like a five hundred word little something that's going on for that week for Mission roll Call. And I'm just saying that would be a total pleasure. And I can I can introduce you to Guy, our editor, who would love to talk to you about that.
Speaker 3: Oh that's cool, Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, it's been wonderful. And I know I've had you for about an hour and it just goes by so quickly, and I don't want to I don't want to lose the friendship or the conversation. But I'm very proud of you, and I think that your daughters and your wife and everybody are badass. And I just want to put that out there in the world. Uh, and thank you for they are badass. You know. First of all, she's west Point. Okay, that alone, that's my favorite football team, right. I live here in Utah and it was all you of View Utah or b Yu and I'm like, West Point.
Speaker 3: Have you ever gone through a game there?
Speaker 2: No, No, I have not. It would get you there, Oh my god. Okay, all right, well let's do it. I'll give you a little space on the website. I'll come to West Point and cheer on the army Bill Army. Yeah, I love that. Okay, Well, listen on behalf of Jim Wayley, myself, rad all of us here at softwap dot com and our merch store. Don't forget. I got to keep the gas on on the fireplace. I want to say thank you, Happy holidays to you, and you know, check on your buddies next door and just make sure everybody's doing okay. Make a post on your Facebook, buddy check who replies? Maybe some when you haven't talked to you in a while, buddy check. And with that, I want to say peace. In a world where information overload can cloud judgment, one platform stands out in the intelligence landscape. Meet five cast, the future of data driven decision making. Five cast is not just software, it's your strategic advantage. Using advanced analytics, it turns vast amounts of data into actionable insights, ensuring that security and defense professional stay ahead of the curve. From identifying threats to predicting trends. Five cast empowers you with the intelligence you need when you needed. Trusted by global organizations, it's the tool for those who refuse to settle for the ordinary. Are you ready to transform your data into decisive action? Visit fivecasts dot com now and step into a world of clarity and foresight.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to self rep Radia