Speaker 1: Pushkin. This is Talk Easy. I'm stud FORGOSO. Welcome to the show today. I'm joined by writer, director, and actor Benny Saftie. Up until a couple of years ago, Benny had primarily been one half of a directing duo alongside his brother Josh. Together they made pulse pounding, anxiety inducing films like Daddy Long Legs, Good Time, and most recently Uncut Gems starring Adam Sandler. But then suddenly, over this past summer, in GQ magazine, Benny announced that he wouldn't be co directing the next movie with his brother. The split, he said, is a natural progression for how things have happened. And really what's happened is that since the pandemic, Benny has emerged as an excellent supporting actor. Since twenty twenty one, he's been enlisted by all tours like Paul Thomas Anderson for Liquorice Pizza, Claire Denie for Stars at Noon, and of course, Christopher Nolan for what has become a Best Picture front runner in Oppenheimer. His latest project is called The Curse, which Benny co created with comedian Nathan Fielder, set in a small New Mexico town, The show follows a newlywed couple struggling to bring their vision for eco conscious housing to life. Their seemingly well intentioned efforts emphasis on seemingly, are then complicated by Dougie, a reality TV producer played by Safti, who sees a potential HGTV program in their story. Here's a clip from the trailer.
Speaker 2: There's no such thing as a perfect city, but to me, this city is as close as it comes. That's why we're proud to call Espanola my home. Oh shit, our home?
Speaker 3: All right, you got it, It's okay.
Speaker 2: This isn't your typical home slipping show. My homes are reflecting the local community. And were husband and wife.
Speaker 1: A girl.
Speaker 3: Just grab a quick shout? Are you giving money to that little girl over there?
Speaker 1: We're doing good here?
Speaker 3: We are good people.
Speaker 1: We're really good.
Speaker 3: Got it? So? All I had on me was that one hundred dollars bill. That's not fair, show me. Let me go get changed.
Speaker 1: And what is that?
Speaker 3: That's nothing?
Speaker 1: This is you need to see this. Why did you snatch back the money? Why did you just.
Speaker 3: Give her the hunterred?
Speaker 1: I was going to buy six of them for twenty dollars? What did she say that was from the Curse. You can stream new episodes of the show every Friday at midnight on Paramount Plus or the Showtime on demand app. We untangled this new show a bit more at the top of our conversation, but it's a fitting next step for Safti, who's long interrogated our ideas of authenticity and realism and film. It's an obsession that dates back to childhood, he told me coming of age in the nineteen nineties, as Josh and him split time between his father and Queen's and his mother in Manhattan. We talk about all that as well, and then finally we discussed Benny's affinity for Fielder's previous program, Nathan for You, his full circle moment of playing an astrophysicist in Oppenheimer, and how making deeply person arsenal films has reconfigured the way he views his past and is present. That's all coming up next with actor, writer and director Benny Safty. Benny Safty, Hello, Pleasure to meet you.
Speaker 3: Pleasure to meet you as well.
Speaker 1: How are you feeling?
Speaker 3: I am okay, A little tired.
Speaker 1: Best way to start a podcast?
Speaker 3: Yes, no, no, no, it's I was actually just thinking of There was a stand up I used to do as a character Ralph Handel, and one of the opening jokes was, Hey, everybody, how you all do it? And Everybody's like whoo, And then I'd be like, how am I? And then everybody would wait for the punchline. I'd say, Hey, I'm a little tired, a little hungry, but I'm okay.
Speaker 1: Can we start with this new show of yours. It's called The Curse? Yes, you co created it with Nathan Fielder. Yes, but Fielder is someone whose work you've long admired, right, Becaues. Back in twenty sixteen, you wrote an essay in CinemaScope Yes, about his show Nathan.
Speaker 3: Free You long too. I was watching Nathan for You when it was linear. I was waiting week to week for this thing, and this was about smokers Allowed, Yes, which I thought was an unbelievable thing, and it was just, I don't know, it was interesting because I'm obsessed with realism, you know, and so that's part of just something that's always in my head. And then when I saw that episode, I was like, Oh, this guy is also into something kind of similar, you know, And I was really excited that but so in this essay.
Speaker 1: Which I'm happy to quote from, go for it.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 1: When you become obsessed with creating realism, you create something fake. Fielder is truly a national treasure. He has somehow melded Jack Tati and Mark Cuban.
Speaker 3: So when that's pretty good. But it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: So I want to ask you. I want to start here when the curse came together, how did you reimagine this collaboration between the two of you. Did he play Tati and you played like James Dolan.
Speaker 3: It's funny because after this he had seen.
Speaker 1: I think it was good time. Doesn't take the bait on the Dolan slander.
Speaker 3: No, no, please please. I love the Knicks. We're figuring things out and I think we're gonna be a good team this year.
Speaker 1: They've been figuring things out way like my mom would say, I'm figuring things out with your third stepfather.
Speaker 3: Yes, but eventually things will work out. You'll find the right person, you'll click, and then you'll have a happy life together. Oh sound this tape of my so but so. Basically what happened was is we kind of just met up as mutual I guess fans of one another. And every time I was out in La we would just meet up and talk and and it was just in these initial meetings that kind of we came up with the idea for the show, just like accidentally.
Speaker 1: You said that like it was a question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, because it's like it was weird because as we came up with it, we were like, yeah, this isn't gonna work.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It was so backhanded, offhand that we kind of just let it go, and then we would text one another, just compounding on the idea every once in a while. And I think at some point we were like, I think we have to make this thing. You know. That's kind of where it ended up.
Speaker 1: So, now that it's out in the world and it's being released every week, how would you explain what this is?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I want that responsibility. I guess it's it's about it's hard because I don't want to. I don't want to like pigeonhole it into any specific.
Speaker 1: If I do this for you as an act of generosity, yes.
Speaker 3: And maybe then I'll jump in and I'll.
Speaker 1: Have to return. So it's set in New Mexico, Yes, in a town called Espanola. Yes, there's a couple the Seagulls, played by Fielder and Emmastone, and they're creating a sort of HGTV pilot.
Speaker 3: Okay, so here now I can take over, because I thought you wanted me to get really deep and like philosophical about it. I can summarize.
Speaker 1: We start on the surface, can we go?
Speaker 3: So essentially it's about Whitney and Asher Siegul. They have a HGTV show and they want to kind of figure out a way to increase the environmental sustainability of a community, but doing so without any consequences regarding gentrification or anything in that neighborhood. So they try their hardest to not do that. The show is called the show is called Flip Lanthropy, and it's a mix of flipping homes and flip lanthropy flip philanthropy. It's like from now and now I can't even think of the word philanthropy without saying fhliplanthropy.
Speaker 1: After watching the show, you almost never want to think of philanthropy.
Speaker 3: Ever again, because philanthropy is now, is it? I guess it's a bad word. Yeah, it's cursed. And so it's funny because there was a long, a long discussion between me and Nathan is it flip lanthropy or flip land thropy and we wanted to have the D or not have the D was a very long discussion regardless.
Speaker 1: The log line is saving the world one kilowatt at a time.
Speaker 3: Which is true. And then I play the producer of that said show, and the curse follows us as we moved through the town of Espanola in New Mexico, Santa Fe and what it's like to just kind of be in that area. So that's the surface discussion, and it's funny, it's not scary, and it's sad. Basically what happened was I was like, oh, so, what was it like when you first moved to La And He's like, oh, I was. I had just moved here and I didn't even have an American cell phone because I don't know if anybody knows Nathan Fielder is from Canada, yes, so yeah, and he needed to get a new cell phone. So he on his way to the cell phone store, somebody asked him for money and he said, oh, I'm so sorry, I don't have anything, and then they said to him, I curse you, and he kind of took that went onto the store, and it made him feel very uncomfortable, so he then left, went to an ATM, took out twenty dollars and gave it to the person who was on the street, and said, is the curse lifted? And they said, yes, it is. So then the conversation became, well, what if it wasn't What if she wasn't there? You know, I said to him, like, what if you went to the ATM and came back and the person wasn't there, then would the curse still be there? Would it affect your mental state for the rest of your life. That was the seed of it. And then we realized that became a good kind of template for something. And I guess at the time I had been in a doctor's office a lot, because I guess it was my wife was their first child, and I was there a lot. I was sitting in the waiting room, and it was just HGTV all the time, House Hunters, flip or Flop, all these other things. And what you end up seeing is is that, yes, it's reality television, but there's only so much you can hide from the cameras. You can get a kind of really good sense of the relationships between the two people in the show, you know, you can really understand if there's marital issues or if there's tension because they're not really spending that much time. They're really moving quickly, so you could get at like little glances and you'll understand who they are. And that's also just in Nathan's work in general. So it kind of again was this amazing synergy between the two of us of like, Okay, what can we bring to this, and it was an amazing kind of collaboration. You mentioned your character Dougie, Dougie Scheckter glad we have the full name on record here. He's this long haired producer with rectangular glasses, yes, who's especially good at seating conflict between the central couple played by Fielder in emmastone. He's good at manipulating the setting and sometimes even re creating events and filming them as if they were happening extemporaneously. And I wonder did playing this part bring you back to your early upbringing in Queens where your father would often instigate trouble the way Dougie does creating home movies with you and your brother Josh, waking you up in the middle of the night. To reenact fights you had the day before. I'm thinking, when you're making this new show, were you brought back to all of that. Yeah, it's definitely, well, I grew up in Queens and Upper West Side Manhattan, but I don't know where I'm pulling what from. There's definitely probably something like that in there. Dougie's this guy who's who was always wants everybody to be happy, you know, and that means he'll say one thing to one person and another thing to the other person, and then he believes both exactly the same, and then when he's on his own, both of those disappear. So he truly is a mover in a shape in that sense, and I think he just really wants to be successful. His ambition there is just kind of naked, and he will literally whatever I got to do to make this thing interesting or fun, because when I'm watching here sucks. So it's like, I just want to do the best thing I can, and hey, that's conflict, you know. I got to find out the conflict here. And I guess with regards to the whole movie, Yeah, he just wanted to make something interesting, you know.
Speaker 1: But it is my homeo. You me and your father. Yeah, did you find it interesting as a kid?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know what was going on.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like I was just like, what, I'm waking up and what are you filming me for?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 3: And it is interesting. I do the same thing with my two sons. I'll film them and then once a while they're like, what's going on? What do you film me for? We're literally doing nothing. But I'm always like, Okay, this is going to be interesting for them in some way because I'm more appreciative of it now.
Speaker 1: That's kind of what I want to talk I want to talk about growing up because now you're a father. Yeah, And I wonder if you've been like reprocessing some of those memories.
Speaker 3: Well, I definitely had a playbook of what not to do. But there is just this idea that everything can be interesting in some way, you know. But then again that goes back to you can look at certain movies. You know, you have the neorealist movies. You have the Iranian cinema where all these people are making movies about reality or they're with people. They know. You have bicycle thieves literally using the people coming out of the stadium and incorporating that into the show or into the movie. And so I guess there's this idea that your life can be interesting or whatever it is that you're experiencing or feeling is important, and so if it's just a matter of how you frame.
Speaker 1: It, I want to understand. Growing up, your father would often say that the answers to life's questions are found in movies.
Speaker 3: He never said that. He never said that.
Speaker 1: Josh phrased it once as that that was an interpretation and interpret because I don't think he was as aware of what he was doing there.
Speaker 3: He was just filming, right. I think that's an important distinct though, is that he was never like, this is what I'm doing right, I'm making this, I'm making that. It was just a byproduct of that.
Speaker 1: But when your parents separate, yeah, he does show you Cramer versus Cramer.
Speaker 3: Well, they were separated from when I was very young, so six months, yes, So basically at one point when things were getting back into us kind of going back with our mom, he showed us Cramer versus Creamer. Yes, to frame the situation positively in his favor. So so it is propaganda, yes, one hundred percent propaganda, And that's not fair, you know, it's like, I'm too young. I shouldn't be watch I shouldn't even be watching the movie now. It's so traumatizing, but it's it's great when you watched that film, Yeah, and you were going back and forth between like Queens and Manhattan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did you make sense of what you were watching.
Speaker 3: As a kid, It's simple, it's not, I guess now when you watch it you see the complexies of it. But as a kid, he's good, she's bad. That's what you get. So that's what he knew was going to happen.
Speaker 1: So do you believe that in your life about your own parents?
Speaker 3: No, of course not. You know, that was what I was told in that moment, and so of course she was very upset, and of course my stepfather's upset where he's like, what are you doing? Like why are you coming here with this like this attitude? And then everybody finds out and it's it's definitely insane. But as a kid, you you associate yourself with the kid in the movie, and the kid in the movie is sad, so that's what you feel.
Speaker 1: This is a clip from the nineteen seventy nine film Kramer Versus Kramer's.
Speaker 5: Well The problem is is that your mommy and I both want to live with us. See, so that's why we decided to go see this fancy who I told you is the judge, and we let him decide because he's very wise and experience about these things.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 5: We talked of for a few days, and after that we asked him what he thought. You know what he said, he'd be with mommy, be a terrific idea move in with her and live there from now on. And I'm really lucky because I get to have dinner with you once a week and two times a month. We spend the weekends together.
Speaker 3: Where's my bedroun? You am I gonna swep?
Speaker 5: Oh, Mommy's figured that all out. You have your own bedroom at her place.
Speaker 1: We're all my toys, gonna be the mommies. We're gonna take all your toys over there.
Speaker 5: If you play your cards, so I'll get you to bias some new ones.
Speaker 3: Who's going to read in my bedtime stories?
Speaker 1: Mommy?
Speaker 6: Will You're not gonna kiss me the nine anymore?
Speaker 2: Are your dad?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: I will be able to do that, but you know I'll get to visit.
Speaker 3: Are your parents divorced?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, I mean I was gonna say your parents put up six months, mine were ten months. Okay, you are the first guests to beat me. Well, this is the way I say it's the worst race to run.
Speaker 3: It is the worst. Well, think about it as a race to existence. We just snuck in. Clearly something happened where it was like either let's give it one more shot or whoops, I guess let's see how this pans out. Not gonna work its effect on me?
Speaker 1: And well you've made a lot of films about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, to go back to that what I said, are before, if there's a kernel of truth withinside of you or whatever, it's easier to talk about or make something because you understand where it's coming from, you know. So that's just like what's my motivation?
Speaker 1: You know, growing up with a video camera always around recreating events, living out moments of your life on tape when you didn't know you were being filmed. Obviously that would tie into later movies that you two would make. But do you remember the first time you and Josh commandeered the camera and like began making your own projects.
Speaker 3: Well, there was a weird smoking commercial I remember, and it was just like we knew he watched the tape, so we did something to likea yeah, it was something like that. But I think that there's something about I guess that's early nineties that this was happening, and I guess that was the first consumer cameras that were out there, So I think a lot of people from that time period did grow up under this idea that there's more accessibility to something that felt so far away. And again, there was also this weird moment I think early on when point and shoot cameras started having video on them and people didn't necessarily know when they were being filmed, so there was a lot of honesty that you could capture. I think people now are a little bit more aware of cameras and stuff like that, but there's been kind of so there was this moment where nobody knew they were filming. Then there was this moment where everybody knew that they were being filmed and they were always on watch and always vigilant. And now I feel like there's this yeah, I'm being filmed. I'm just going to say fuck it, I'm just going to live life. I don't care. That's yeah, we've been worn down exactly, so it's like I can't and it's the kind of thing. Also, it's like I remember there was one time where I was in I guess I was on Bleaker Street and I walked by where Robert Frank lived and I saw him on his bed, laid back in repose, and I was like, this is unbelievable, love Robert Frank. I also take photographs. I happened to have my medium format camera with me, so I take out my camera and I go to take a picture of him in this kind of state, and some hand comes in and says, how dare you and she slams the door, And the picture I ended up getting was of this hand pulling the door closed. It wasn't him who slammed the door, whoever closed the door. I was like, this is what he did all the time. All he did was sneak photos of people. That was like the first version of the home video camera. You know, the fact once the camera was given to people and you can capture I think Gary Winegrad is a good example where you have all of these photos of interesting things people and they're captured in a way that is just like, oh my god, that's artistic, that's art or whatever, or maybe it's not. Maybe it's just but he had a very specific, specific knack for finding these these moments, and Lee Friedlander's one, William Egleston, Joel Myerwitz. You know, you have all the Helen Levitt and you have all these people who were finding these moments. And at that time it was very weird to have a camera and go and take pictures of right, in Helen Levit's case, a whole family crammed into a phone booth. You know, like, that's an amazing picture, and it's an amazing moment, and you could even say it's an amazing movie because you can see all the people's emotions on their faces. So there is this idea of watching and being watched that's definitely in the curse. You know that there is this idea that somebody's always there looking. You know.
Speaker 1: I would say that naturalistic, impromptu spirit is embedded in all the movies you've made, and so like in beginning talked about how your dad used film as like a two of propaganda. At some point when you two start working, you and Josh, did it feel like an act of rebellion? Did you feel like you were creating in contrast to.
Speaker 3: That, I guess with the propaganda element was just you can, for better or worse, use movies to connect to your emotional state of mind. I think you can go to the Russians and see that they looked at movies as a way to essentially as a form of warfare, you know, and like propaganda where you have all these films that are speaking about the Russian way of life and this idea of the power of movies to tell you what to feel and think. And so it's in that long lineage of things, and it was just a matter of you're trying to understand stuff. You can make it up, you can mess around, and you just want to understand what's Sometimes it might be oh, how do I say this better in this technology? Or is this funny if I hold it here? Is this good? You know? So you're just kind of trying to understand it. You just have to always be looking around and listening. And when you cast somebody, that changes things. And I think specifically with The Curse, we were told like, oh, you can't really cast real people in a television show. It's different in a movie because it's a one time thing or whatever. But like in a show that's over seventy days, it's going to be very difficult. I'm like, why, what's the big deal? So it became that, like if somebody was submitting a tape, the more vertical video that you got on the street, that's what we looked for was somebody who never ever thought about being in a movie or a TV show or anything. That's who we wanted in the show. And so we cast a lot of people just from the area. And then as you're doing that, you're talking to them, you're trying to understand, you're changing things with them. So Nathan and I were always rewriting it to fit the people who we were casting. It's just again, it goes back to this idea that you can use this to understand people or things better.
Speaker 1: By literally incorporating people. I mean, again, your body of work is going from Daddy Long Legs to heaven knows what the short films before that, the implementation of street casting. Yeah, with you and you know and.
Speaker 3: So important and all those people.
Speaker 1: Where do you think that came from? Is that is that the Brisson naturalism?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think it's there's there's the Brisson, there's the neo realist you know. And it's also in these in these documentaries from the sixties, you have all these like I think if you look at high school textually just showed at an Nyu I played Wiseman's High School. There's this one moment where this this father is in the principal's office and he's so upset that his daughter got a failing grade on her exam and yet on the paper the teacher wrote the word fabulous something like that. And he's sitting there and he's got this really small shirt tie like literally he's a massive, like a big strong guy, and he's sitting in the chair and he could barely like move because he's tie. He's going to the principle. So he put on his tie and he put on his button down, and he's sitting there and he's in just complete disbelief, and he's like, she said, fabulous, she said it, what's going on here? I don't understand She gets an f but fabulous, what's going on? And he won't stop. But he's such a character. So there's this idea that people kind of are iconographic of themselves in a lot of ways, and so you can use that to enhance the emotions of a story. And in the early short films, I remember I was like, Okay, here I am, and if I'm going to be in them, I have a relationship with this person, just purely on a level of practicality. I know I can get a good performance because we're friends. So it's like we can just talk. We could forget about that thing over in the corner filming this.
Speaker 1: Those early first three films. In terms of the dynamic between you and Josh, you said once that we help each other see something different, a full vision of truth. He'll let me see things I don't see, and I'll help him see things he doesn't see. We compliment each other, We fill in each other's blind spots. How would you describe your blind spots and how would you describe his?
Speaker 3: I guess, like, for example, with let's just take Daddy longlegs for example, I was very quick to be critical of my father for the things that he did, and he would be more forgiving of those said things. And by putting those two perspectives together, you're able to get kind of a truer portrait because you're not just saying this is bad, and you're not just saying this is the best thing in the world. So it's just a matter of complimenting different points of view and just taking that into consideration really, which some people don't do. You know, it's my way or the highway is a lot of people's mentalities. So just this idea that you can get at a deeper thing through like that collaboration. You know.
Speaker 1: There's a line in a twenty twelve short film of Yours The Black Balloon. Yes, and a character says, I love you as a human being, but I hate you as a person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can like the idea of somebody right and hate them. I think that's probably you know that you can you can think back and be like oh, because I guess also with distance comes that you know that where you're I don't know if you've ever had somebody in your life where you're like, the longer you go without seeing them, you're like, I really miss that person, right, and then you see them you're like, oh, fuck that person.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like it's kind of that where it's the moment you're in the room, you remember everything it was that made you so upset or angry. There's that phrase, so and so something makes the hart heart grow fonder, right, Distance makes the heart grow fonder, that's very true.
Speaker 1: And familiarity breeds contempty.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. So these are cliches for a reason, right, So I think that's what that means there.
Speaker 1: Gus, do you have this quote that that's been really nagging me this whole week? I want to understand it. You mentioned Daddy Long Legs. You said, the whole point of Daddy Long Legs was to relive our childhood, but it kills it at the same time. What was that like?
Speaker 3: Well, what was that like? What to kill your childhood?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I means therapy, right, that's therapy is you're reliving it to kind of close it up and understand it because there's a lot of loose ends and loose emotions, and by going in and trying to I guess I said when I say recreating it is.
Speaker 1: When you become obsessed with creating realism. Yes, you create something fag Yes.
Speaker 3: So it kind of ties into that where once you're going so deep into the understanding of where something comes from, and how do you do it to get that, how do you do it to the level of something on the screen. There's so many steps that you have to break down who's it going to be, how are they going to say it? What are the lines they gonna say it? When then when they say the lines, that sounds bad, you got to change it. So you're literally getting so granular into the actual thing that it's dead, you know, so you forget the original emotion that was there because now it's this new, different thing.
Speaker 1: It's complicated by a more technical process.
Speaker 3: Yeah, once you put it all out there and you look at it and you try and understand it, you get granular in a way that kind of kills the haziness of it. A memory is such a beautiful thing, but it's also very sad because you're never going to be able to go back there. So you have this fleeting moment of recognition and it's sad. It's sad when that's a way. But when when you think of nostalgia, you have that moment and then it's still nostalgic because it would be fun thing if you're like, Okay, I'm going to completely recreate that exact moment. I want to create deja vu. Whenever you go and try and do that, it's not the same. You know, you can go back and watch the shows that you watched as a kid, but it's not going to be in the same exact situation and feeling that you're in that you watched it. And I don't know what day long. This is very important because it was confronting a lot of things that maybe weren't confronted, like what emotional childhood stuff. You know, it's not it's not fun.
Speaker 1: It's a hard Yeah, I rewatched it.
Speaker 3: It's there's specifically, there's like an argument that's happening on the phone in front of the two kids that I just was like, it's intense, sage, we'll shaken. What's happening, kiddo?
Speaker 4: Very good, very good? Listen listen, listen, listen, and you put your mom on, but you put your mom on for.
Speaker 6: Me, it's dead, Plenny.
Speaker 4: Well, you know it's six o'clock. I'm making dinner.
Speaker 1: What's up.
Speaker 4: Again that I've got Carmen coming tomorrow? No, no, no, what tomorrow is a half day and I've got plans to take the kids to see why folks this weekend. Okay, so it's not going to happen. It's a half day, right, and I've paid Harman in advance. She's coming to get the kids. So it's not going to work. I understand that you miss the kids. That's great, But you know what, frankly, you're lucky you even see the kids.
Speaker 3: What I look at in my life is like, there's certain things that happened to you and allow you to understand them, because I feel like if I was on one track, I'd have no way of making sense of this. You know, I'd be a total I'd be in the corner drooling, you know, which sometimes I am. But when I went with to my mom and my stepfather, it was a very different world, you know. It was very much more structured, and it allowed me like this kind of safe place to then look back and understand what was good what is bad, and then as like a coping mechanism, though I'm gonna just look at this good stuff, you know, and then later on in life you look at the bad stuff. But it allowed me the ability to put put a sentence together. I guess.
Speaker 1: So you've put a series of compelling sentences to get I appreciate that. Just now. We'll be right back with actor, writer and director Benny Saftie. After you made Long Legs, there's a Heaven knows what which Robert Pattinson fell in love with to the point where he emailed you out of the blue and asked to work on something. But until that point, you and Josh were trying to find your way in New York making movies. And this is how your collaborator Ronnie Bronstein described those years before Pattinson showed up. We'd been existing like a strand of saliva hanging from a barnyard animal, blowing in the wind, waiting to snap. There's a saliva again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's the saliva.
Speaker 1: Is that what it felt like?
Speaker 3: Well, no, there was definitely. So after Daddy Long, it was like, oh, great, got this thing Spirit award, You're you're in the industry. And then it's just fall flat on your face.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Literally, I stood in front of IFC Center with a billboard over my body like one of those sandwich boards, convincing people to go into our movie over Ken Losh's movie, which is what IFC was putting all their money behind, because I was dedicated to making our movie held over in theaters. So I would literally stand online and tell people what are you seeing? And they say, I'm gonna go see this, And I said, oh, you should think about going to daddy long. They said why, and I was like, well, I made it, you should go see it. And they were just like excuse me. And I remember the IFC people like, oh, this is cute. This guy is like it's a little some sort of a entrepreneurial. It wasn't entrepreneurial. I think they were a little bit more dismissive of it, like, oh, isn't this cute. He's going to be here for a couple like an hour and then he's going to leave. I was there for eight hours a day, committed. I had a spot in their in their closet where I would keep my stuff and I would come back the next day and do the same thing. Because I was it had to be held over. And I think it played in that theater for a long long time. But it was just that's where I was kind of first confronted with this idea that like, just because there's something that you find interesting doesn't mean the world is going to discover it. They need to find out that this thing exists. You know, like we all thought making that that this was going to be divorce. Fifty percent of people we were convinced this was going to be like the TBS Movie of the week, you know, but it wasn't. But it did. It did give us something. But then when that didn't work out, you're just like, okay, well now what you're kind of back to square zero and you're trying to make something.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Then I think there was a documentary Lenny Cook that started that was in that process, and then that took a long time, three four years to finish that. So each movie you make, you're like, okay, now this is this is going to be the springboard, and it's not, and then you kind of fail. And it came to me basically right after Good Time, where it was like, okay, I just had my first son. If this doesn't work out, it's over. I'm not going to be making movies anymore because it's not fair. It's not fair to my wife who was working. It was almost like this fallacy that I had because everybody was We kept doing all this stuff and it kept kind of it had an impact, but it wasn't allowing me to make a living, you know. So I had to confront that and say, well, what is it? And so if that didn't work, it would have snapped and it would have been all over you know God, well, yeah, you know so, but each one was just enough to get a little bit more. But even but with heaven knows what, it was less money than Daddy long Legs. So it was it was going backwards. And then the documentary was nothing. It was just we had gotten this footage from the producer and he had been filming Lenny back then. He's like, I don't know what to do with this. Can you help me?
Speaker 1: And then an old family friend of yours.
Speaker 3: Yes, this guy Adam Chopcorn, and he he had all this stuff, but he stopped filming after he didn't make it into the draft. It was like, so what happened? That was became the question and then you have to sit with it and figure out how to best tell that story.
Speaker 1: But it's funny because the story of Lenny Cook is this young basketball player ye who was like high school ranked, Yeah, played against Lebron and carmilaw Anthony was better than them at times.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the story is heartbreaking in many ways because it doesn't work out the way you'd help it.
Speaker 3: Lost potential is one of the most upsetting things specifically in America.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it happens very quick for him. Yeah, And what you're describing for you and Josh is that it happened in like fits and starts. It was gradual.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I guess because think about it. Two thousand and eight is when we made Daddy Long Legs. Good Time came out twenty sixteen, and then Uncut Gems came out in twenty nineteen. That's a long time. It's almost eleven years, you know. When when I want to look back on Daddy Long As, I was like, oh my god, that was ten years ago. That was in twenty eighteen. I remember, there was in twenty and fourteen. I think it was. It might yet might have been twenty fourteen, Yes, because it was right before Cosmo, my son was born. I went to Melbourne and they did a retrospective of our stuff and I was really kind of like weirded out by that because I'm like, is this it? This is the end? Like what are they doing? And it just felt very strange because it was weird because yes, like these fits and starts, I didn't I was like, oh wow, and we'd made all these short films and it was just kind of we were always trying to figure something out. You know, you're constantly moving forward, trying to just experiment.
Speaker 1: But up until Good Time, you said this thing, if it doesn't work here, it's not fair to my family. It's not the side of my wife.
Speaker 3: Yes, when you would.
Speaker 1: Have those conversations with her, would she go, maybe it's time for something else.
Speaker 3: Well, that was it was me saying, because it was just Cosmo was two weeks two weeks old when we started shooting Good Time, and then I was literally editing with the baby monitor on his naps because I was at home editing on that, and then i'd bring the foot at with Ronnie and I was editing other scenes and that we were literally working separately, but I was working out of home from home, and I just was like, okay, it's not fair that like she can't experience this the same way that I am. And I kind of felt like I was like a deadbeat in a lot of ways. Even though I was making stuff. There was just something about like, Okay, if this doesn't work, it's like how long am I going to keep going? Thinking that this is like it's definitely like oh, you always say like keep going, do what you love all the thing. But when you're confronted with the realities of the world. Sometimes I just felt like it wasn't it wasn't fair for her to keep carrying me. You know. I was like, all right, maybe I'll take a break and I'll hey, I wanted to be a physicist when I was before film, so maybe I'll go and go back and do that. So it was just because there's a lot of stuff that comes up when you have a kid, and also just like motherhood, and and she was working and she had you only get four months or three months of paternity of maternity leave, and that's not a lot of time. And you're leaving just as the kid is starting to kind of really see the world and it's a very hard place to be, you know, to watch that and then to leave. And then it was like it was the kind of thing where I was with him, So there was this kind of there was something nice there, but it was just I felt guilty.
Speaker 1: You know, that's the thing, the normal feeling. Yeah, so post good time, it works out, you're sort of like fortified in this pursuit of film. Yes, you're not going to go back to trying to be an act astrophysicist.
Speaker 3: Although I did end up somehow, I did end up crossing paths with physics. Yes, you know on Oppenheimer, which was that was the craziest thing for me. I was like, when I was talking to Chris about it, I was just like, what, you don't even know? I said, literally, I was. I was studying elementary particle physics standard model. I was doing it all. I almost did that.
Speaker 1: Pattinson's not good in the movie. You could be right back there exactly. Okay, So when you're making uncut gems you did time. I'm curious about your specific role in this triptych you, your brother and Ronnie have created, because everyone I've asked about you and your work they all mentioned one thing over and over and over again, which is you need to ask him about his role as a boom operator. Yes, and why you do that, because it's it's fairly unusual, and for people who don't know, maybe you could describe what that is and why you do that.
Speaker 3: Well specifically on those you know, there was this just by pure necessity. But in college, I've always loved sound sound design, so I would always learned it, loved it, and then when it came to making I guess heaven knows what. It was so low budget. I was essentially running boom and recording sound almost like a documentary, you know, I had a full on doing it. And then while you're directing, Yeah, because when the thing is is what people don't realize is except for boom ops, is you're right there. You're in the action with the actors. You're the only person who's really allowed to be in the room with them. And there's something that it did for specifically on Uncut Gems. Misseo was the camera operator and Masso was the cinematographer on the Curse. We developed like an amazing kind of shorthand because when he was doing steady cam, I'm right next to him. But you see the full body language. You're not just like looking at this specific frame. You're seeing how best to look at a scene and block a scene and stuff like that, and it just gives you another view and access point into the action that's happening.
Speaker 1: How do you think doing that job informs both the way you direct and the way you act.
Speaker 3: It's very because you're listening, you're hearing everything. You just get a better sense of performance, and when you're acting in a scene, you can direct from within because you're in control of what you say and how you respond, you know, and so you can navigate in a way that's helpful. And I think that that's just that was a running boom was away for me to do that. It's also just like it's very helpful because I'll also edit. So there's something about the sound and the way that it hits your head and your brain that when you hear it you can kind of be like, Okay, that's the cut point. And I don't know, it's just it's you're almost in post production in your head. You know, in some way.
Speaker 1: Has it shaped you as an actor? I mean, you've done since uncut Gems, You've had this like four years of really wall to wall performance.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, the thing is I like acting, and part of what I like about directing is I love performance, and I think performance is a very it's fleeting. You know, there's something about being able to recreate an emotion that's not there and that's not real, and being in that moment and it's it's almost like necromance. Isn't that like when bringing people back from the dead. You know, it's that element you're basically you're playing with something like that where you're and that's why it's not it's not healthy.
Speaker 1: Ronnie has this quote. He says he was trying to make a movie with you as an actor, but you wouldn't stop crying when trying to get into character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is that? Well, if you want to take it all the way back in acting, I've been able to get you. You are around a lot of different people, you know, and you're different actors, and you're able to learn from them and understand. You have conversations about craft and all that stuff. But I remember I was talking to Ellen Burston just about like crying and all this stuff and that how do you do that? And I said, I don't know. I kind of create an emotional tornado, or you kind of go into this weird place and you're thinking about all the stuff that happened to you, but you're kind of thinking around it in the situation. And she's like, oh, yeah, that's it. She's like, you think about the smell of something and that triggers a different memory in your brain. And it was like, Oh, there's an actual turn, Like there's an actual thing that you do and learn in that way that my emotional tornado thing was that. But again I don't necessarily know if you you don't have to do it to feel it, you know what I mean, you can access something in your brain that allows you to feel it. And I guess with regards to performance understanding, kind of the subtleties and the details of something are helpful. You know, if I'm talking to you right now and I want it to be like I was upset, you know, what do you do when you're upset? You kind of you avoid eye contact and you'll just kind of like pause on your words and it gets really so the thing is what happens when you do that, Is it somehow taps into your brain of like, oh yeah, that's what I do when I'm upset. So then you kind of can't help it but get upset and you start crying. And it is also there's a lot of there's bad stuff that happened to me that you can kind of I can go to and be like, oh fuck, I don't want to have to feel that again. And yet I guess it's liberating to feel that way in front of people because you're always hiding those emotions, you know, you're always you never want to cry in front of anybody. So when you do it, it can be liberating. It's embarrassing, but it is a liberating feeling, you know.
Speaker 1: And when you described it as a tornado, I was just wondering, like, what what is in that flurry that comes to mind?
Speaker 3: You're thinking around bad things and you're putting yourself in that position. It's not a good place to be.
Speaker 1: So you said it wasn't healthy.
Speaker 3: In a weird way. It is healthy, but it's not healthy to go to dip into that when you don't want to. It depends on the levels of the tears.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: When I was working with Ronnie, it was weird because I was What was hard about that was the person I was playing was that was ended up becoming the guy in Good Time, you know, and that was based on a lot of my own experiences and issues with mental health and OCD and all these things. And it was kind of overwhelming because with specifically with that character, I couldn't verbalize what it was that was hard for me. I was just coming up against a wall and I'm like, I wanted to say it, but I couldn't, and that was really sad. So I would start crying all the time because I'd be in these situations that were making me uncomfortable, but by nature of the character, I couldn't express myself. And that's sad. You know, if you feel something really deeply in your head and you understand it but you can't say it, that's horrible.
Speaker 1: Which now I imagine I think many people go through life like.
Speaker 3: That exactly, and that's and I think that's that's the thing that is difficult because I have myself been in that position where I'm feeling something and I don't know how to say or verbalize it what it is that I'm upset about, right, And I think that with kids that's the case more, you know, because you don't have the ability to speak or verbalize your opinions. But I guess it's again this is going back to this idea of recreating reality or whatnot. It's you're kind of trying to recreate the emotions that you feel. And that's just like, Okay, what are these words that I have to say and how do they connect back into who I am? When Paul reaches out, I'm like, this is fucking awesome. Of course I'm going to do this. You know, he's one of the greatest ever and and licorice pizza, and it was like that was it was so unbelievable. And then of course what you see there you can't help but learn and take it in and then you know, it's it's it's amazing to kind of have that experience. And it was just so fun and there was a weird there was a pushing and pulling of wanting to be your best. That was so great. Then the same similar thing happened, you know when on on Oppenheimer everybody's kind of coming in at it, trying to do their best.
Speaker 1: Why don't we take a look.
Speaker 5: The fact that we built this bomb does not give us anymore anymore write or responsibility decide how it's used and anyone else.
Speaker 3: But they're the only people who know about it.
Speaker 1: I have tools simps in the various opinions of.
Speaker 3: The community, but that's your opinion.
Speaker 1: As it's used, nuclear war in the house, oh or.
Speaker 3: Becomes unthinkable until somebody builds a bigger one.
Speaker 1: We're talking about this chapter of yours, and it reminded me of this documentary that appeared on Criteria about you and your brother, and it was in pre production for Uncut Gems. Toward the end of the movie, you two are on the train and you say, it's one of the first times we can see one or two things ahead. And we always got the road ended at Gems. That basically every film you made up until that point was a stepping stone to Uncut Gems. And I guess I wondered, like when when that came out and it did what it did, given that you couldn't imagine the life beyond it, how did you go about mapping the road ahead?
Speaker 3: Well, that's the thing, is the practical meaning of that was after Daddy Lungigs, we wanted to make Uncut Gems. That was just the next thing we wanted to do wasn't in the cards, So we made a bunch of other stuff in between. Right. So when that was done, it was like, Okay, not only is what do you do next, but it's also just a matter of you now have the ability to do something next in the sense that you go back to like when I was before, is this something that I'm going to be able to do? Do I have to find another career to like provide right, And so it was the first time that that had happened that you have actually have you can see a little bit into the future, you know. I think it was just a matter of like, in that period there was also a pandemic and all that stuff that.
Speaker 1: Did the pandemic and all these like new roles coming about that we've talked about in the Oppenheimer. Did it make you rethink wanting to direct with your brother?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I was just kind of going with the flow, right, That's all it was. Is something came up, Hey, that sounds like fun. I would like to do that, you know. And then Jim Brooks calls me and says, hey, I want you to do this this movie the Judy Bloom Are you Their God? And Kelly calls me and she says she wants me to play a father. I'm like, oh my god, nobody's ever asked me to play a father. I am a father, you know. I'm like, I'm a father of two kids in a interfaith marriage. Like this is exactly what this movie is about, right, Nobody has ever asked me to do that before. So I was like, this is a great place for me to express that part of who I am. It wasn't necessarily a conscious decision. It was more like Okay, this is a way for me to explore right now, you know, and it's all about learning. I think it's all part of one larger process. But the whole thing is a struggle to verbalize your emotions, because that's what all this is. Whenever you put anything down, you're trying to say something and you're trying to do something. So it's just a matter of like you're trying to figure out the best way to do that, and in certain moments it's this, in other moments it's this. But I think that they don't. They do talk to each other and they allow you to get better and better yourself in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: So I wonder as we look back and then look ahead, you know, like Daddy long Legs, we said it was a way to relive your childhood, but it also killed it. And then thinking about Uncut Gems, I wonder, like if it had the same effect in some ways, Like it was a film that represented the shared ambitions and interests of you and your brother, literally starring the actor that raised you both and me, yeah, and like and in making it, I don't know, did it kill some part of a shared dream and did it open the door for something new.
Speaker 3: It's funny because I'm not thinking about it in that way, and when you pose the question, I'm like, oh, yeah, that maybe you know. But it's like, specifically with that movie, it was like we it had had all this pent up demand, you know, and everything was kind of like, Okay, now we have all these tools to tell this story, you know, and then you tell it and you're like, and again it's just now what kind of thing? What do you want to do? And so that that question just becomes kind of the guiding force. It's like, well, what do I want to do? I don't know.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: What's interesting is right before the Gems, Nathan and I actually pitched the Curse in twenty eighteen, and then it stayed dormant until after and then the pandemic hit and then there was all this time and then Emma came on board and it was a whole long process to that, and it was again it was it was an organic kind of thing where you're just kind of letting things happen. And maybe that's I guess the key is you don't want to set up a wall to avoid things that you don't necessarily know. You know, I'm far from like a Buddhist person. You know, I would love to be that. I have a hat that says be here now. You know, there's this idea that that's the place to be, And of course if you're an anxious person, that's impossible. You know you are there, but you're so in the now that it's hurts. And then you're also thinking about the future. What's this, what's that? Or what about the past? How this happened? And you're kind of asking all these questions. But if you're open to what the world is going to show you, maybe you will be in a better place because you'll listen.
Speaker 1: You know, I do well. I think as we leave that moment where you figured out what you wanted to do, do you remember that day in class you were like going to be an astrophysicist and your teacher explained to you sort of story structure. Oh yes, yes, like what happened that day to button this Oppenheimer thing up here.
Speaker 3: Okay, So basically this is in high school. I was part of this extra curricular science program where it was so much work. It was essentially as much time outside of school as in school. I would go and learn with this teacher at Columbia University. He was trying to set up all of these particle detectors on every school in the city. You create these small kind of garbage can with a photoelectric detector in the top. You ligne it with aluminum. There's something called Charon Cough radiation for when these high energy particles hit water, it emits this radiation as light. The light is picked up by the sensor. The sensor goes to a computer which is on an acilloscope, and it shows you the moment. If you have a moment at exactly the same time, because these things are moving at the speed of light, which is exactly the same speed, you can then trace from that moment back upwards to when the particle entered the atmosphere. So this idea that the more of these things you have, the bigger the detector, because things will happen at the same time. Say, that was what he was planning to do, and that's what I was helping try and prove as a proof of concept whatever. But in that process I have to explain that to somebody else, and part of the class was teach it to other people and the process of taking that information that's internal in your head and having to say it to somebody else. That process is where you understand it. It's easy to understand, but to explain it is hard. So he was saying to me, he wrote down on the piece of paper. He's like, this is he said, I'm here at A. This is the end is at Z. And then he takes his pen and he just draws this horrific kind of spiral mess of like a snake, and then he finally ends up at Z. He goes, your job is to take me from A all the way to Z. Never let go of my hand, is what he said. Take me all the way along that path. And it's crazy, but if you get me from A to Z, I'll understand it. But then when you look behind you, you have no idea how you got there. But that's it. You understood it. So then I remembered seeing that, learning that, and then I think I watched The General by Buster Keaton, and I was like, oh, wait a second, this is the same thing. You know, you have this story that goes from A to Z and it's complete madness and craziness all throughout it. But he's walking you through. And then the jokes are almost like physical problems, and you're at that moment everything was kind of coming together in a lot of ways, and so I think what ended up happening was I went to school for both and I realized you can't do that. You have to pick one, and so I pick movies, you know. I went to be you. Josh said, come to this class. It was a class on this guy Ted Baron who was a teacher there, and he showed a neorealist movie and it was mind blowing, you know. So that's when I was like, Okay, maybe this is the wrong place for me, because you can't toe dip with both feet, you know, because they're in opposite directions. So you have to choose, choose what it is that you want to do, and do that. It's still very present in my mind because the things I learned in physics tell me about narrative, you know, they tell me about story, and if you can explain something, then that also helps you with directing, you know. And because you can tell somebody, you can kind of walk them through the process. And so I like to think that everything is interconnected in that way. And it's a shame string theory is no longer longer like the right thing because it made sense, you know. Feinman said, the world is a dynamic mess of jiggling things, and it's only based on perspective of whether or not you see it or not. For example, when you see an old newspaper on the on the ground and a rubber band is around it, let's say it's sitting there for one hundred years. He goes, made the rubber band wouldn't last that long. But he goes, what's happening in that rubber band is you have all these particles banging when it's stretched. They're they're banging because it's getting heated up by the by the the stretching of the rubber band, and those particles are banging the rubber band and keeping that newspaper together. He goes, that's how he sees the world, and that's crazy. And I remember I actually asked somebody because in the there's in one scene all the scientists from most animals were actually in one of the scenes in Oppenheimer. It was a in like it was like a party, and so I was just talking to him and I said, that's something that I can't imagine going through the world like that. That would drive me crazy, and he looked at me and said, it would drive me crazy if I go went through the world the way that you saw it, because for me, there's some comfort in knowing that information and to each his own, you know. And he's right, He's like, I feel I understand the world in a very deep and meaningful way. And that's okay that I when I look at a rubber band, I don't see a rubber band. I see beneath the rubber band, and I see the particles moving, and that allows me to understand the world.
Speaker 1: Well, we started this conversation talking about the surface level nature of the curse.
Speaker 3: Yes, we have.
Speaker 1: Now gone so far below. Yes, and I think we have hit something true and honest. And I'm glad you held our hands.
Speaker 3: Okay, I hope so through the process everyone's in a while, I felt like maybe I let go and I look back and I was like, oh, wait, where I have.
Speaker 1: A long enough arm. And to the young kid in college wondering if they should jump in and not just dip their toe, I'm glad you jumped in. And I so look forward to seeing what's next.
Speaker 3: Amazing. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Benny Safty a pleasure. Thank you, and that's our show. If you enjoyed today's episode, be sure to leave us five stars on Apple, Spotify, wherever you do your listening. If you'd like to go above and beyond, sharing the program with a friend or posting on social media, all of that really does help new listeners find Talk easy special thanks this week to Haley Benden Gates, Reil Shulman, Jennifer Vendetti, Christopher Nolan, and Jason Birch. I'd also like to thank Liz Mahoney and Narrative pr Universal and Showtime. You can watch new episodes of The Curse weekly on Paramount Plus or the Showtime on demand app. If you'd like to learn more about the show or more about our guest Benny Safty, visit our show notes at talk easypod dot com. Once there, you'll find other great episodes with actors including Britt Marlin, oscar Isaac, Tom Hanks, Bill Hayter, and Bob Owenkirk. To hear those more Pushkin podcasts, listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you like to listen. You can also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram at talk easypod if you want to join our mailing list, drop me a line at SF at talk easypod dot com. That's SF at talk easypod dot com. You can also purchase one of our mugs at Come and Cream or Navy, or our vinyl record with writer fran Leebowitz at Talk easypond dot com slash shop Talk Easy is produced by Caroline Reebok. Our executive producer is Jennixon Bravo. Our associate producer is Caitlin Dryden. Today's talk was edited by Caitlin Dryden and mixed by Andrew Vastola. Our music is by Dylan Peck. Our illustrations are by Chris Chenoy. Video and graphics by Ian Chang, Derek gaberzak, Ian Jones and Ethan Seneca. Photographs today are by Julius chu Alse. Want to thank our team at Pushkin Industries, Justin Richmond, Julia Barton, John Snars, Kerrie Brody, Heather Fane, Eric Sandler, Jordan McMillan, Cura Posey, Tara Machado, Jason Gambrell, Justine Lang, Malcolm Gladwell, Greta Cohen and Jacob Weisberg. I'm Sam Fragoso. Thank you for listening to Talk Easy. I'll see you back here next week with another episode. Until then, stay safe, and so long.