Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Vanessa Bayer and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 1: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood in nostalgia and how it shaped us into the people we are today.
Speaker 3: Who are so excited for today's guests that we might blow a fuse.
Speaker 1: Welcome to how did we get weird? So Vanessa, Yes, I know usually start these out, but I figured I would kind of jump in because today's guest is a longtime friend of ours, and I think is sort of the reason why I was able to live in New York for eleven years.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I moved to New York in two thousand and seven from Cleveland. My band had just broken up. I had been quit my job to tour with this band, and I moved to New York. Didn't really have a job, went on all these weird kind of interviews. I interviewed with an auction house that was selling the Jackson Families some of their material, but they it was the Jackson family is fighting them, so they were like, go through these books and look for clothes that match up with this so we can sell them. Didn't take that job. Had an interview at Astra Wines. I remember this and I had to take a test where I had to do the accents on the wind. Didn't get that job. I think I failed the test. And then our guest today, I had known he hired me to write for TV show that he hosted on FUSE. I had never written for television before, and that kind of got my foot in the door there. And so then I was able to make money so I could pay rent and live and so that was awesome. And so yeah, internally thankful to today's guests for kind of getting me on that train.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you start just writing sort of freelance and then start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I had been the music edit at AP and then I started freelancing. So I was still writing for a bunch of music magazines, but I had never written for television. Television is different, right, Like we would write on this program that was saying how long it would take, then would go on the teleprompter and you know howadays we didn't use Q cards. This was teleprompters. You may not be yeah, you probably have used both done other shows.
Speaker 4: Kay, But.
Speaker 2: Well you're very you're very grateful for our guest today.
Speaker 1: Yes, very grateful. He's a he's a great guy, has so much knowledge about music, and I think we should just introduce him former hosts of Steven's on Titaled rock show on Fuse, where I was a head writer. But you also might know him from his nuanced work on such shows as California Dreams, the Original Queer Eye, a little show mayb you've heard of called Sliders. Please welcome my good friend Stephen Smith. Hey, Stephen, Hi, Jonah, Hi Vanessa.
Speaker 4: You guys are just such a delight.
Speaker 5: I still remember like the day Jonah introduced me to you, Vanessa, and we were in the East Village and I think you were doing Second City on a cruise ship.
Speaker 2: Yes, I bet, I bet.
Speaker 5: And then the best part was I learned on the Internet, like I don't know, I think I can't remember what nerd side I was looking at, but it talked about who is going to be on on SNL and it hadn't been announced yet, and I texted Joanah. I was like, I just learned that Vanessa was going to be on SNL and Jonah wan, dude, don't say anything.
Speaker 4: And my wife.
Speaker 5: Immediately went, well, did you tell Jonah that he should tell the internet, because.
Speaker 1: This is a period of time that was We were so paranoid, and I think our parents were like this too. Vanessa was like, They're like, you can't tell anyone, but then it was like leaking, and I was just like playing dumb. I was like, I don't know, that's weird. I know.
Speaker 3: I was actually surprised that Jonah's reaction to you was you can't tell anyone, instead of being like, I don't know, that's not true, because that was the reaction I told everyone to have because I had been so scared that we were told not to tell anyone until it was like officially announced by NBC. And I was so scared that I made everyone in our family so paranoid about it, to the point where it was very clear I was going to be on the show show and because NBC hadn't announced it yet, you know I I think we talked about this on the podcast recently. It was like our uncle was calling my dad being like, it really seems like Vanessa's going to get hired. And I was already living in New York and my dad had to be like, well, you know, the trades, what do they know?
Speaker 2: You know, people people say stuff. It was wild.
Speaker 3: So the fact that you got a confirmation in any way, shape or form, is really you're a good friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Olean's up there, Yeah he's Yeah. I didn't have to lie to his face, so that was nice.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: Well, Steven, You've been one of Jonah's close friends for such a long time, and I know he's so grateful to you for giving him his first sort of big TV, his first big New York job, And I'm grateful.
Speaker 4: Huge, huge.
Speaker 3: I remember walking by those every every time i'd be late running to the train station, I'd walk by those offices with those big lights.
Speaker 2: Now, fuse does.
Speaker 4: It feeling this? I think maybe I'm not really sure.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean some of us took the time to look it up, and by none of us.
Speaker 1: We didn't look it up. Well. I wrote on a few shows, and but Stephen got me in. But it was so fun because I felt like it was really us just talking about music, listening to music, and then going down the studio to watch Stephen port. And then it was a lot of bands that didn't like me because I'd written something negative about them at some point in my life, and I got to see them face to face, which is always a fun, fun fun thing to do.
Speaker 3: And wouldn't you sort of do a thing where you would write stuff on the cards for Steven and not tell him and then he would say it on camera.
Speaker 1: Am I making that that's something that I did? No, I would write I would have a lot of friends in bands on the show, like Okay and the show.
Speaker 3: Just to explain to people who haven't seen Steven's Untitled Rock Show, it's more it's sort of like, what would you compare it to on MTV for people who were more into MTV than interfews, I.
Speaker 4: Would I would love to compare it to one hundred and twenty minutes, but it wasn't that good. Views.
Speaker 5: Was very interesting way back then because since it was such a new network, I couldn't get a lot of like huge, huge bands.
Speaker 4: So that a.
Speaker 5: Programmer who was very smart and decided to focus on the burgeoning emo scene, and so we started getting a lot of these bands like you know, Mike Him and taking Back Sunday and we When we started the Rock Show, they just couldn't come up with a name, So it was a placeholder called Steven's Entitle Rock Show, and we had a contest and that's how it got the ridiculous game.
Speaker 4: It's just kind of funny.
Speaker 5: Green Day I think actually announced the name, which I thought was yeah, but our first guest was me first, and the Gimme gimmeys, so it's basically fat Mike and we would just do video raps and we would do interviews in between. And our producer went on to do another show and he had written a lot of it. Ris McDonald are a very good friend, and he went to work on a live show and so our show was pre taped, and you know, write stuff. So we needed a writer and I overheard someone mentioning Jonah had submitted something for something, and I went, can I have him him?
Speaker 2: Oh that's so nice?
Speaker 5: And that was that was literally the conversation. I remember was leaning on a cubicle and they someone said, well, he's never written for TV, and I went, good, I don't want that.
Speaker 2: Oh I love what a nice story. Jonah. Did you know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I did know that, but it never gets old of me. But yeah, we mean and Stephen had met like on the Warp tour something I think when I was yeah, and I had been on Fuse like as an expert or something when I worked with Alternative Press. Oh yeah, so we had known each other, but yeah, I had not written for TV, that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it was it was fun. So it was just like a video rap show.
Speaker 5: But then when Jonah came on, we tweaked it to have a really long interview format so that we would have a good ten to fifteen minutes straight of just talking to bands and Jonah would sneak and stuff that I wasn't aware of, and the bands would react and it would always be funny and it's fun.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's funny to have like your friends on national television. And then like you're sneaking in these weird inside jokes into Steven's questions and they're like, do Jonah ask that? And it's like so so unprofessional.
Speaker 2: Do you remember any examples of the inside joke?
Speaker 3: By the way, our producer Olivia just told us that Fuse does still exist.
Speaker 1: So that's great news.
Speaker 4: Wow, that is cool. Good for them. I hope they're okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's see what was one you did one with Motion City Tony.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tony at one point hit something evolving like he drank a beer really fast and then threw up or something. It was something very benign and then Stephen was like, so I heard you guys aren't really you know, if you drink too fast, you guys have some problems. Like anyone drink a beer in a bathroom recently and have any It was like something very.
Speaker 2: Specific, got it, got it?
Speaker 1: Got it, or like it would be like Chris from the American Rejess like, are you guys into like those like double tall bikes or something? And they like I would just be these kind of yeah, maybe that's the.
Speaker 5: One that was a really good one, the double tall And he was like, what you had one that was very funny.
Speaker 1: And then Steve and I did a podcast for like six years, going Off Track after Right Right, Going Strong, and.
Speaker 4: You came on You guest hosted a bunch But it was great. I still think I still think about you talking with Janine Yes and talking about what Hot American Summer? And I just went and saw Ken Marino and David Wayne's band, the Middle Aged Right Yeah Jam Band, and it was great because Craig Wedren is just on stage from a shutter to think and he wrote all the music for other stuff.
Speaker 5: They did the song Live Higher and Hire from What Hot American Songs? And it was we just all lost our silly minds. It was really really cool to see and Ken was winning. Ken was very It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: That's great. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Jeannie Gruffalo and I really bonded when I guest hosted with you guys, and we realized we both like General Hospital. And then she and I went and saw the General Hospital karaoke band. It was really funny because then we got to meet these guys that were in this small General Hospital band that are actors on the show, and we were really different than their regular demo.
Speaker 1: I guess. So there were actors on the show who happened to play in a general hospital.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I didn't do a good job of explaining this. There were four actors on the band. Okay, in the band and basically, you know, it's called General Hospital takes place in this fictional town called Port.
Speaker 4: Charles Charles, thank you familiar.
Speaker 3: So the name of the band that these four guys, these four actors on General Hospital were in was called Port Chuck, which is a takeoff of Fort Charles.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the Port.
Speaker 3: Chuck band, Jine Garofflo and I went we saw them, Lie, we got to meet them after I still lightly stay in touch with two of them and it was just incredible. But anyways, let's move on, because I will swallow the whole podcast with General Hospital if given the opportunity.
Speaker 4: Just a quick moment, I played in a ban in California with the guy who was on Poor Charles, the spinoff of General Hospital. Just want to throw that out there.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 4: That's incredibly true?
Speaker 2: And I absolutely remember that spinoff?
Speaker 6: What was a band called I was for a theater troop out in la I think is still there, called Sacred Fools and we were the Sacred Fools band and he played guitar and I played drums. And there you go, Steven, what was the name of your band in college? Because this is one of my favorite band names came?
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, that was the ice Cream Socialists.
Speaker 2: That's really funny.
Speaker 3: Now, this is a great segue into what I was going to ask, which is, Stephen, you've done a lot of work and been on a lot of really incredible shows throughout the years. But I'm curious before I absolutely get into that, how did you get your start?
Speaker 2: Like did you go to theater school?
Speaker 3: Did you do a lot of this kind of stuff in college or did you start doing it later on in your Like how did you sort of get your start in the entertainment world.
Speaker 4: That's a great question. It goes back to having severe eight.
Speaker 5: My mom shoved me into ballet class when I was four, and I danced for years and then started just acting in school and taking classes and stuff.
Speaker 4: And then I did the high school. I don't know if all the states have this.
Speaker 5: I don't know how it does it too, but like they would have this thing called Governor School where if you apply, they have it for everything math and science and stuff. And I got into the one for the arts and then did a lot of plays in high school and stuff.
Speaker 4: Which was fun.
Speaker 3: Was that in addition was Governor School in addition to regular school or was it instead of was it like the new school that you went to?
Speaker 5: It was in addition, so a summer summer program paid.
Speaker 4: For by the state, okay, which was which was cool.
Speaker 1: Governor probably personally.
Speaker 4: By the governor wrote the check governor Governor Sarah. So that was cool.
Speaker 5: And then I went to college in Virginia where I was living, and I wanted to be a director. I wanted to direct plays, and so I had a cool black box theater program there and I got in by not applying like other people. They remembered me from Governor School, which was kind of cool and very helpful for my father because it was in state, much cheaper, nice. And then didn't know what I wanted to do after school, and a friend of mine was moving to LA and I literally rode in the back of a rider truck and moved out there with him. And in the greatest six degrees of separation, my aunt was a vet tech. And here it comes, Vanessa's what you've been waiting for. She was rehabilitating a dog whose pelvis had been destroyed and the person who owned the dog was the casting director for Peter Engel Productions that did California Dreams. Okay, so as a favor to my aunt, this woman auditioned me with my super long nineties hair and that's how I got started. And from there got you know, had a couple of agents and things and did some stuff.
Speaker 1: And California Dreams was that. Your first TV appearance was California Dreams.
Speaker 4: California Dreams was the very first thing.
Speaker 1: And Vanessa, can you explain, because I know you're Vanessa, you are legitimately a fan of this show. Yeah, it's kind of Saved by the Bell, but it's like they're in a band basically.
Speaker 3: And it would play at This was sort of part of the same tween Saturday morning television block as Saved by the Bell, and Peter Engel also produced Saved by the Bell. Like part of those shows, the plot of California Dreams was basically these five or six teens that were in a band called the California Dreams. They also lived in California, but they were kind of living their dreams. So it's an excellent title and basically Saved by the Bell, except instead of being in their high school all the time, they're like in someone's garage practicing for the band. Right, And was it as good as Saved by the Bell although they.
Speaker 2: Were in high school sometimes?
Speaker 3: In fact, I remember, actually, Steven will get to your scenes, you were you your character took place in the high school, So I take that back.
Speaker 2: They were in high school quite a bit, but.
Speaker 1: They were practicing a lot. They were practicing.
Speaker 2: In the garage a lot. But yeah, yeah, so that was their thing.
Speaker 3: Is they had this They were basically like imagine the Save by the Bell characters if they had like a side band in their high school, not talking about the Zac Attack, which was just a few episodes of their band where everybody all of a sudden knew how to dances or knew how to sing and play instruments when you're like, oh what, but anyways, so they had a band and Stephen just to get into your character. So you were on more than one episode, if I recall correctly.
Speaker 4: I got to do four episodes that kept bringing me back, so they they bring they bring me back. I had a name and everything that was pretty cool. And what was your name again, Oh it's very important. Boogie boy, Boogie boy.
Speaker 3: And you were sort of a prankster. If I recall you, you and this other guy, I remember one scene where you have those like water guns, those super soakers or something, and you spray water during in a classroom.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, we trashed the classroom up and smashed things and it was very silly, and you did.
Speaker 2: That just because you were kind of pranksters.
Speaker 4: It was I believe the storyline was a slie character had a had a side hustle called uh Ba boom kaboom or something, and it was and it was he was trying to he was doing this game where people would get shot with these foam pistols, and we got we got shot, and we decided to really act out like Platoon style our death scenes and smash up a classroom.
Speaker 3: And and just to be clear, these are water pistols.
Speaker 2: These are water.
Speaker 5: These are water pistols. Yes, straight straight up like NERF style, like goofiness. And then I believe, I believe this. I believe the plot line, the important a story was. It was Jay's dad was being the janitor of the school and.
Speaker 4: Having right having deal.
Speaker 1: So that was yeah. And Stephen, speaking of character named, there's a period of your career. You went by Stephen with an interesting spelling. Is that correct? Oh?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, this is This is my wife's favorite story.
Speaker 1: And I know so much about here, about this, I couldn't be more excited.
Speaker 4: So after doing California Dreams and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Wait, don't we just name a couple other shows that you would.
Speaker 5: Say, Oh, I did so, I did, I did Sliders, I was on the second episode of Buffy the Vampire.
Speaker 4: Slayer, WHOA and had I'm in there a little wiki and everything. I have like a little character I supposed to be one of Xanders Xander's buddies, okay, and Sliders was fun, and then there was the show The Pretender that was on for a bit. Oh yeah, I did.
Speaker 5: Everything I did involved me going yeah, dude, like everything.
Speaker 3: That's so interesting because I don't think of you as like a surf dude at all, and yet you you had the hair, you had the hair, you looked like I could see you as a surf dude.
Speaker 1: I guess now that we talked it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was ninety six, like the hair was long, and then it just kind of I don't know.
Speaker 5: I started taking some acting classes, and because I wasn't booking as many things, AD a couple of fun commercials, some Carls Junior and some video game things, and then I.
Speaker 4: Ended up auditioning for a hosting gig. I had a girlfriend at the time.
Speaker 5: It was a host and a presenter, and I remember thinking I can do that, and I literally went to my commercial agent and said, do you have the talkie mikey thing? And I wish I was in Belichick, but that's what I said, and they said yeah, and they sent me over to VH one and I auditioned, but I was twenty five, okay, and they had twenty five albums they wanted you to review five, and I happened to own all the records, so I just went through all them in five minutes and they went that was good, You're too young, and I'm like okay.
Speaker 4: And then four years later they hired me after auditioning doing some commercials and stuff, and I ended up hosting Rock Across America and a couple episodes of VH one Top twenty Countdown when that was a thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, oh wow.
Speaker 4: It was fun. I was like one of the LA hosts. It was like a weird period at VH one where they weren't they were kind of trying to figure some things out. It was me. I think Allison Stewart was one of the other hosts. She's on NPR now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what about like moon Zappa. Wasn't she over there?
Speaker 4: She was at MTV like a long time before, okay, okay with Steven.
Speaker 1: The name the name, yeah, I get it, the name.
Speaker 5: Oh the name, sorry, sorry the name, sorry, God bless it. My ADHD pills were wearing. So I auditioned so much that I would just write in different names at the call sheets back then, and so I thought it'd be really funny to write Steven ste v I N And that's the job I booked and they went they said, is that how you want your name to be?
Speaker 4: And I went, yeah, so I get the job and my parents were like what and I went, yeah, I don't know what I was doing. And the irony is when I was in New York and I was doing VH one Top twenty. I was out there and I had on, like my prize possession is this vintage Ramones T shirt. I'm a diehard Ramones fan.
Speaker 5: And I was doing the countdown and my future wife, who I had met yet, was working at VH one and remembers when she saw the footage of me, and her response was, who's this tool?
Speaker 3: Because it was for the what was it for the VH one job that you had written Steven yep yep, And so that comes up on the screen, right mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that was my back when AFTRA was its own thing. That was my name in AFTRA for years. So yeah, I'm not known for the best decisions.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a quick break and we'll be back with STEVENN. Smith after this.
Speaker 2: And we're back now.
Speaker 3: Jonah just shared another fun fact about your name, Stephen, that I would not have expected.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Stephen is my middle name.
Speaker 2: Are you comfortable sharing your first name?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, it's possibly the whitest name ever. It is a Jeffrey Stephen Smith whoa and my mother wanted to name me Steven and liked the name Steven and wanted my millennaim to be Jeffrey and just didn't think that flowed well. So she made it cool for me to have to explain that for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: I just want to point out that that same sort of level of anxiety Vanessa and our family had about her not saying she's on SNL, that's kind of like a kind of a constant thing. I feel like, even with your name, I'm like, can we say this is wrong? And you're sort of like, yeah, I don't care, No one cares.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny. Yeah, But I have a nephew and I remember when they were going to call him by his middle name, and they do, I'm like, don't do it. It gets weird because you forget. I've been kicked off planes because my ID didn't match up.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And my last name is Smith anyway, so I get identity theft at least once a year.
Speaker 1: So when you book, when you book a flight or something like that, you do as Jeffrey I do.
Speaker 5: I now do the full name Jeffery Stevens, so whenever I treat it like because I am originally from North Carolina, so I literally write it down to the south as far as everyone knows, my first name is Jeffer steven And that's how.
Speaker 4: I put everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got you.
Speaker 4: It works out.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it works out great.
Speaker 3: Before we move on to today's topic, I just want to show this mug that you gave me Steven once. It's my most prized mug and it's a mug from the I believe you said the Rap Party for California Dreams.
Speaker 1: What does it say on it?
Speaker 3: It says California Dreams with the font which the O is a son right, and it says in quotes the dream will never end. And then it says Senior Prom January twenty seven, nineteen ninety six. So I think they called the Rap Party Senior Prom, which it's like delusional much.
Speaker 1: It sounds like this summer ended after about five seasons. Unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Well, I was gonna say it seems like you were it was a short lived show because the Rap Party being in the beginning of ninety six feels like it started I think in like ninety three ninety five. Like, I don't think it was on very long, but you got in while it was hot.
Speaker 1: What was that party, like, Stephen where you got that much?
Speaker 2: Do you remember the party?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I barely remember it. And I wasn't even like drinking or anything. It was just so nondescript and like weird. I remember Peter Engel saying I'm King of the Prom and I'm thinking, yeah, I don't know. Yeah, it was very very weird. I didn't know much about those Saturday mornings. The man you said, by the bells a cultural phenomenon. And then there was like California Dreams and hang Time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hangtime.
Speaker 4: That was the basketball Yeah, that was the basketball one. And then like there's a couple others I don't think related, but in that same vein.
Speaker 5: Of like like Breaker High and stuff and those kind of teeny things.
Speaker 1: But arthar Lewis that was a good one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that was I think that was that was evening that was like prime time. This was non prime time, right, this this was its raining. We're going to watch this like that's those were those programs, right, But it was fun being part of it, and they kept bringing.
Speaker 5: Me back and uh, I remember there was one episode where they had a guy who just couldn't like remember his lines and he was like the goofy surf judge and he could not remember his lines. He had to have the script like like in front of him, and they said, you know what, why do you do it? And I'm like, okay, So I went and memorized it, and they came back and they went, no, you can't do it, like why would you be the surf judge? And I went, so you're going to play like continuity with this ship.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's fun.
Speaker 3: I mean literally, the characters on say by the Bell the last season switched like they took out Jesse and Kelly and put in Tory and nobody said a word.
Speaker 4: So I was saved by the Bell. Just to bring again everything full circle.
Speaker 5: That my band in college that Jonah loves to name The ice Cream Socialists, the lead songwriter with the greatest rock and roll name ever.
Speaker 4: He Hanes his real name. He had a song song called Kelly Capole about Kelly Kapowski that we would play Wow Wow. But I believe it's on his new album You put It back on, which was kind of fun.
Speaker 3: So why didn't he use her full name? That feels like such a weird place to because of the word pal.
Speaker 5: It rhymes yes, I think like the line is I know a girl named Kelly Caple, and then the rest of the guys we go Kelly.
Speaker 2: But it feels so easy to add on ski.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like that rhymes with a lot of stuff too.
Speaker 4: You know, I guess I don't really write this.
Speaker 2: Isn't your battle to fight.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: It's okay, I'll send you the SoundCloud.
Speaker 3: Okay, over, Okay, maybe i'll send this person a couple of two three notes if you think that'd be cool.
Speaker 4: I think they would love it. They would be stoked.
Speaker 1: So Steven, you came in with so many incredible topics. Obviously you were in a riverboat gambler shirt. I mean, we could talk about music for good catch hours, but we're not gonna this time. Maybe we will some other time. We're gonna talk about mister Rogers neighborhood, although I did find on YouTube there is a death Metal cover of the theme song that someone made that is pretty good.
Speaker 5: I ever heard someone playing the music recently and I walked by and I just went, is that Johnny Costa?
Speaker 4: And I went, how do you know that? And I went, what's mister Rogers? That was his music director, and they went how did what?
Speaker 1: And I went, yeah, this is this is like very kind of quintessential Stephen if you like, because me and Stephen Wi went to Steven's on a pund comic con once and Stephen would be like that guy, like he's the inchor for this guy. I was like, how do you know who these people are? Like, Stephen know, like the most obscure stuff about music and comics, And so why did you sort of choose mister Rogers neighborhood and move this to show you watched growing up? Or what's your connection to it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So so I was an army brat and we moved all the time, and like the constants that I remember as a kid are is PBS because everywhere you go in the state's PBS, and I remember it was like in a row. It would be Sesame Street Electric Company, mister Rogers, and then the show called Zoom, which just had kids like in different colors doing stuff. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: It wasn't kids just having like tell of meetings with each other about like marketing or something.
Speaker 5: No Zoom, Yeah, it would be like, yeah, it was bizarre. So like that was in my head. It was like, well, these are my shows. Like my parents watched their shows, these are my shows. And Sasame Street is a big deal. But mister Rogers I loved because love imagination and creativity, and that was thing which was going to the land of make believe, and like I bought it, like of course this man who you know, everyone talks about the sweaters and the shoes and that kind of thing, and I never really connected it. But when you look back on it, it's just someone being kind and cool and tell them stories. And I never thought anything bizarre about it. But as I got older and I thought more about mister Rogers, and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, wow, he's he's like like the patron saint of just don't be a jerk. And a few years ago Twitch, I don't know how they had this, but Twitch that streaming network thing. They got it, so I don't understand it.
Speaker 5: They got the rights for just like a week every mister Rogers episode WHOA from the sixties to two thousand and one, like the old black and white ones that I had never seen, and the ones that dealt with like really really heavy subjects like back in the sixties and how you talk to kids about it all the way in I just put it on and my kids were very little, and they were like just stare, just yeah as a gape and just loved every second of it, and they like just drowned in it. I don't know, he just he just he's I've read his biography and I was just a huge fan as a kid.
Speaker 4: And he was a musician, and he would always surround himself with musicians, like the guy who did the music for the show. The music was live, like if he's walking from one side of the house to the other, like they would they would change the music up. And the guy Johnny Costa who did it was this jazz guy, and he insisted on making it jazzy and not dumbing it down. And his thing was like kids love music, like they they'll get it. He never cared that it was a TV show and to break the fourth wall constantly. That was the stick. But like would walk outside the house and come back in and then use a door.
Speaker 5: He would have like all the characters that would connected, they would talk to the trill. I don't know, It's just one of those things where I just waited every morning.
Speaker 4: To watch it.
Speaker 5: And I have a memory of watching it in color, but we didn't get a color TV till I was like ten, So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know how your brain does that, but yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I remember watching it so much, and I was doing some research on it and I read this thing on the website where they were talking about how the people on the show were neighbors, and he said, like, neighbors are people who live close to each other. Neighbors look at each other, they talk to each other, they listen to each other. That's how they get to know each other. And how that was a big lesson. And then in terms of the puppets, the authority of the King, the shyness of Daniel Tiger, the adolescence of ex the Owl, the mischievousness of Lady Elaine Fairchild, we all have lots of facets to who we are and it's fun to be able to express them. And then with his special guests, he say, I'd like you to know my television friend and how like everything was sort of made in a way to sort of teach kids about like appreciating people and the different sort of of the different sort of personalities and facets of the different people.
Speaker 2: I think it's so nice.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's the whole thing is. He was just a giant bucket of empathy. And he ended the song He ended the show with the song It's You. I like always, yes, that's right. He would talk like directly to you, and I'll never forget.
Speaker 5: There was one episode that really struck me because I was I mean, I still have it. You don't grow out of ADHD. When my daughter got diagnosed with it, I really dove into it and I started remembering like, why would my mom do this to me as a kid? Lick, why she throw me in ballet?
Speaker 4: Because you know, back then in the seventies, ADHD figure it was the wild West. It was like have met you know, and kids are so my mom put me in ballet? And he did an episode with a football player. I'm pretty sure it was someone of the Steelers.
Speaker 5: Who took and then went to football, and I remember being like, let's me, I'm I would go from ballet practice to soccer practice and never think, never think anything of it.
Speaker 4: And that's one thing I like that. It was just the nicest kind of assumption, like, yeah, that's just what you do. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember mostly I remember us watching growing up. I just remember the him like taking his jacket off and his shoes on, like all that stuff. That's remember that. Yeah that was a big one. Yeah, yeah, changing his shoes.
Speaker 5: I was a big fan of the fish. And then he had this shelf and on the shelf was models of everything in the Land of Make Believe and he would bring them down and then the camera would zoom.
Speaker 4: In close and like you know, it's like the slowest zoom ever, you know, to get in there, and then it would just do the craziest of like you know, star wipe into the Land would Make Believe and TROLLI would be there and remembers the kid going, well, of course he travels between worlds, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's obviously a portal, right, you know, of course, right, and then he.
Speaker 5: Would do stuff like he wrote and they performed six operas on the show. Wow really because he liked opera, a fan of opera. Yeah, but you throw a purple panda into an opera and I'm gonna watch it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and it was super great. He also like, I mean again, I'm a giant nerd for him. His biography, he talks about how he worked with this child psychologist and everything that he did would have to get approved by her, and.
Speaker 5: She was like she was like old then, yeah, and she would push these crazy ideas like empathy. Like he wouldn't say things like he would approve every script and there was a way to write it in a certain way, which was it wasn't you know, as PBS so Europe throwing the commercial, but it wasn't like you wouldn't say I'll be back when.
Speaker 4: You're going away. Why are you going away? Yeah, I'm a kid, don't don't go anywhere. Like he was very specific about how you would talk to a kid and what words you would say. And he would, you know, not mean by any chance, but he would just you know, change the script and alter things to make it more accessible to you know, a mind that hasn't been on the planet that long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so more recently there's a documentary about him, and then there was this Tom Hanks movie. Did you watch this stuff?
Speaker 5: I watched the documentary. I haven't watched the Tom Hanks one yet. I'm nervous about it because I don't want it. I don't want it to set my memories of the man.
Speaker 1: But you know, life is like a box of chocolates, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: The documentary was incredible though, I saw it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you see.
Speaker 5: The special on PBS that was a retrospective and it was this is one of my favorite facts about mister Rogers.
Speaker 4: It was presented by Michael Keaton.
Speaker 5: No, because Michael Keaton was from Pittsburgh and that was his first job.
Speaker 4: He was an intern.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: And if you ever ask him, there's interviews but like, how is mister Rogers in person? You know, was he different? And he's said he's nicer?
Speaker 4: Wow, oh my god.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: So so mister Rogers found out that Michael Keaton was this aspiring comedian and had him to get together with other young actors and do like like silly like Karen Mootzov Brothers type stunts, but they're very safe and they were all pantomimes, so it'd be like him like stepping off the chair being like, yes, you know, and it's Michael Keaton and he's.
Speaker 1: Like and he would do it on the show, on the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can see.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 1: Even you're a big comic book guy. What's your What are your thoughts on Michael Keaton as Batman? Are you buying it?
Speaker 5: When it first came out, I was like, Nope, no, And then the movie came out and I went, oh, shoot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's pretty good.
Speaker 5: Okay, he's a pretty he's a pretty solid Bruce Wayne, Yeah, yeah, and by the bye, like I loved Christian Bale, Robert Pattinson, I thought was amazing. And I'm very picky about Batman because in my mind, Batman is Adam West.
Speaker 4: That's it. That's right, right, right, Yeah, that's the ending. Who Going back to the beginning.
Speaker 5: One of the auditions I had Vanessa years and years ago, with the casting director of California Dreams. I tested for a pilot Lost out the Road, a Bobcat Golfway not to brag wow, then used a line on they used to and I have lived in the audition.
Speaker 4: In the final pilot. But whatever, But Adam West was there.
Speaker 2: But did the pilot not get picked up?
Speaker 4: It didn't get picked up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so whatever, they probably they probably burned themselves. Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So but Adam West was one of was also testing for it, and I was just sitting there like at Fox, and I just went, uh, I had to go say something. But anyway, back to back to mister Rogers started, I mean to diagnosic.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, not at all. I was going to say back to mister Rogers that I feel like a lot of times when something really horrible happens, people post that quote that he has about like in a bad situation, like a horrible whatever, look for the helpers, like the people that are like focused on those people, the people that help, and that like are making the situation better and helping everybody else. And I think that's such a nice and I always think about that when something, you know, horrible happens, is the helpers.
Speaker 5: I think that was either his grandmother or his mom who would say to that, she'd look at there's always people helping look for it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: The thing I love about is after the show was taken out the air and he ended it, you know, after he passed his wife, who just passed like in the past year. She for years, people said we're going to do another mister Rogers, do another mister Rogers, and she said no. And finally it was the woman who created Blues Clues, and she said, here's my idea. Change nothing but make it animated so it can run forever.
Speaker 4: And they took Daniel Tiger, which was his first puppet, who I remember that you lived in the clock. Well, Daniel Tiger has grown up and had his own kid named Daniel, and they created Daniel Tiger's neighborhood.
Speaker 5: And my kids started watching Daniel Tiger. Most of the kids I talked to watch Daniel Tiger.
Speaker 4: So literally, this next generation is just dripping with empathy and kindness and like understanding, and I see it all the time.
Speaker 3: I never put together that that was the same Daniel Tiger from because my my best friend Gwen's daughter or a loves Daniel Tiger.
Speaker 1: Is it like Daniel Tiger's going to like a Billie Eilish concert like in this episode case from.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent, but he's not allowed, well because Daniel is a Phineas fan.
Speaker 4: So it's been different for him.
Speaker 2: And Jonah loves to absolutely burn but.
Speaker 1: But that's like my one kind of.
Speaker 3: Sorry Jo makes jokes about gen Z. He's got a ton of gen Z material.
Speaker 4: I've got too much Millennial and gen Z stuff. It's it's a lot.
Speaker 3: So I was going to ask you about like the kid generation now knowing about it, because you were talking about your daughter watching, so she's seen episodes that you've shown her. But Daniel Tiger has sort of become the new mister Rogers.
Speaker 5: Yes, And then what I didn't know was and I was just looking up stuff because you know your head, you go, wait a minute, is it is? It was Lady Elaine what was her last name? Oh, it was Lady Lane failed Fairchild. So I was looking that up online. There's another show, because Daniel Tiger is all animated using all the songs. But there's a new show and it was it's called Donkey Hody and it's been running for two years now. And this one's all puppets. It's another spin off of the same and it's and it's literally inspired by the works of Fred Rogers, it says, really, So I haven't seen that, but I kind of like the fact that there's now this generation of queen's because my twins are twelve, going to be thirteen, Lord help us.
Speaker 4: Wow. And that was their thing is little kids. Now there's another one for little kids.
Speaker 1: It's still connected to mister Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's just I don't know, it's hard to be just well, we used to say this all the time, Jona.
Speaker 4: And I back and when we would write stuff. It's like most people, and I'm sure you have the same experience in Essa. Most people you meet that are you know, big names are usually really cool. Most people are cool.
Speaker 5: Like we have a few like jerk references usually yeah, you know some it's sometimes.
Speaker 4: It's like, well we started that, sorry, but you know, yeah, most people are really cool.
Speaker 5: And I think that's just very indicative of mister Rodgers that it's hard. You can get caught up really quick with people who aren't, and it's they're they're very few.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, most celebrities are cool. I would say most are also shorter and bigger heads than you might think. That's a real common sah.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm like looking for a compliment from my brother and that.
Speaker 2: Seems that's not what I was expecting.
Speaker 5: Well, I I legitimately, like Vanessa, hurl your name out like on a daily basis to my kids, Like something will pop up me like there's Vanessa.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: It'll be like when the super Pets came out.
Speaker 4: I was like, you.
Speaker 2: See, oh, that's so nice.
Speaker 4: She's a superhero. It's all coming together, understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Steven, you're forgetting that your your daughters are also United Nations fans.
Speaker 4: Oh, huge Unitations fans.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's Jonah's band for anyone who does who doesn't know, but it is an awesome band. Yeah, that's pretty cool. That's pretty heavy stuff for tween I would call them tweens now would you call them?
Speaker 4: They're twins? There will be teens in a few months, but lines have been drawn because we have twins. They you know, like having your own identity is very important. So so my daughter Kate is like it it's Taylor Swift or nothing. Okay, But she is now a big fan of buying only Taylor's versions of her albums on final.
Speaker 1: WHOA, This is very cool.
Speaker 4: So she's a big fan. Meanwhile, her twin sister Emily gave up her Taylor Swift airstre ticket because she didn't want to go because she wanted me to take her to Metallica, which I didn't do because that was more money than Taylor Swift. Sure, but I did, But I did take her to see Marky Ramon's band Wow, And and she's a big, big Ramones fan, and lines have been drawn.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting because I remember, Stephen, when you had your kids, you had this policy where you were like, I'm not going to show them any cool music because then they will not like cool music because they'll think they're rebelling as me because it's stuff their dad likes. So if I don't show them anything cool, maybe they'll discover it on their own and I won't tainte it. And I remember that was like, actually, like you're kind of approach to parenting. But it sounds like it kind of worked.
Speaker 5: Hopefully we'll see it's every once in a while, like I'll just sit there and like just not, I don't know. I don't want to make fun of a band just because I don't like them. There's just certain things like here's here's an example. I've met one of them and they're fine, but I'm just not a fan of their band. But the band, the Black Keys.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: My daughter Emily's a drummer and she's doing this school of rock band thing and she gets to play drums and.
Speaker 4: A clash song. Oh wow, shes psyched about. And then they gave her this other song and she was like, I don't even know who these guys are and it was the Black Keys, and I didn't want to go because I didn't want to like influence how she felt about it. Yeah, sure, but I'm not. This is not my thing, you know. Yeah, so, but I.
Speaker 5: Just didn't want to like broadcast it, you know. Meanwhile, her twin sister is in October running around singing at the top of her lungs. All I want for Christmas is you, I think, just to annoy us, which I kind of respect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's kind of how I was. I would do stuff like that, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's just it's very funny.
Speaker 5: She was blaring it while taking a shower and had it on her phone, and her twin sister ran in and all we heard was enough and like, slam boss.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you guys ever did kind of stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Does anyone have anything else to say about mister Rogers? I just wanted to say, my friend Kate mccoochee has a new children's album coming out, and she has a song about mister Rogers that's very very sweet.
Speaker 5: See, I've never met her, but I used to work for Leslie Kahn years and years ago, and I was one of her first teaching assistants. And there was her first book that she made, Kate drew yes, and I remember being like, what is I have it?
Speaker 4: I was like, what is this? She's amazing and then she shut up on Scrubs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then and then I learned about Garfunkelnoodes and I was, yeah, yeah, phenomenal, why I think, and and you know, voiceover much like you, and she's on Nature Cat.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, totally.
Speaker 4: We used to watch as well. Man, it's smart to come up with a good, cool kids show that just like, I don't know, just teaches, but like finds a way to teach and not telegraph that that's what you're doing.
Speaker 3: Not talk down. Yeah, yeah, not talk down to kids. Well, mister Rogers was certainly that I want to go watch it now.
Speaker 1: I'm all right, but we can't watch it because we got to finish this podcast and we'll be right back after this break.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 3: Okay, So now it's even We're going to play a little a cool little game called change dot.
Speaker 4: Door change dot door.
Speaker 3: Otherwise known as let's make fun of people who don't know how to use change dot org. In this game, we're going to bring up three different somewhat nostalgic things that people are trying to bring back unchanged dot org, and we'll each vote for our favorite.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: And you're gonna absolutely enjoy it.
Speaker 1: So I can get into this first one. Sure, it's called music use during study hall. This one has a three hundred and sixty four signatures so far, versus creating's petition because they want to tell you about all the negativity that's been called by students that attend his high school because they banned air pods and music. The use of not listening to music has caused many restless students during the school day in study hall. According to the Mayo Clinic quote, music suits energize and inspires. Yes, some teachers may play music out loud, but not all do, especially in study hall when we are tired, trying to find the energy to stay awake and the motivation to study. Music helps us achieve those things. So Stephen, do you think that kids at this high school should be allowed to listen to their air pods in study hall?
Speaker 4: Okay, that has been scientifically proven that low fidelity music in the background helps studying and cognition. I listen to constantly. I'm a big fan of them. I don't know if it's a person or if it's a thing.
Speaker 5: With low fi girl on YouTube and Spotify, it's just lie. It's almost like, I don't elevator music sounds mean. I'm not trying to be mean, but it sounds like it's like cool stuff in the background that you can tell someone's put thought into, but like they're they're creating a but.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, like back in the rave days, the chill out room.
Speaker 3: You know, sure, there's that surfer voice that the Bazuka guy had on California Dreams.
Speaker 5: I gotta tell you, man, that Bazuka episode was hard, and I don't think they could do it today physically challenging.
Speaker 2: I remember, you guys are squatting all over the place.
Speaker 1: You run, Oh yeah, could hurt your hip or something? Yeah, come on or something.
Speaker 4: Okay, I know, fine, late at night, I'll be like, what is my back hurt? And I realized, oh, I've been standing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't like that.
Speaker 3: I'd like to see the guy who plays Sly come up with a scheme like that today, you.
Speaker 1: Know, right.
Speaker 5: I ran into Michael a couple of times when I moved to New York in like two thousand and two, and I don't know what that dude does. But all I know is this is that he still has the apps.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Vanessa, what do you think about the music and study how what do you think?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm on for it, especially for people to use their air pods.
Speaker 3: Like it's like, it's sort of like I would understand if like certain kids want music, certain kids don't.
Speaker 2: You sort of have to respect. You want to try to respect everybody.
Speaker 3: But if kids are allowed to just listen on their air pods and and they're not bothering anyone, then yeah, I don't think it should be I think it should totally be allowed.
Speaker 1: What about you, Jonah, I'm with you. Yeah, but you got to have that. You gotta have some kind of headphones, ear pods. You know, no one wants to to hear your music, you know. So I also think podcasts can be good too. You know, listen to what you want, but make sure you're you're studying. Maybe maybe the podcast is too distracting if you're studying, listen to listen to music, maybe something instrumental even But hey, I'm not trying to tell you what to listen to, but whatever helps you do your listen to lifetime, you know, or some lifetimes.
Speaker 5: I think teachers get I think teachers get annoyed by it because air pods and like the pros and all those kind of cool little earbuds. If you know, you got the long hair, you can wear it all day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought about that. Yeah, really an issue for me, but it would be cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think they should listen to. You know, if I was going to pick a podcast, probably how Do We Get Weird would be the one that I would encourage most students to listen to.
Speaker 5: In fact, in fact, Jonah, I got a tweet an exeat what I call it a little while ago, and it was about how when before our show got canceled a few years ago, Vanessa, an executive, decided to take it from after school and put it during school. So because we are Provocateurs. Our producer Mike ken Jemmy encouraged us to have kids text from school because we had to do this promotion for like, I don't know, was it a palm pilot or something.
Speaker 1: It was something something like that. It's some kind of So we.
Speaker 5: Had kids text us and some kid was like, I remember when I got in trouble for texting during school and then and then Steven answered it on air, so yeah, take that.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh god, it would be like, if you're in school, it doesn't matter. Just text us at this number.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, because.
Speaker 1: We were so mad about the time getting changed, we were really trying to yeah, trying to rebel, all right, So we're in agreement on this one, yes, So what we'll want to get into the next The next one is.
Speaker 3: Called bring back Zours Candy. Now, this one surprisingly has two three hundred and thirty three signatures. Oh and it's written out to twenty people, including President Joseph R.
Speaker 2: Piden. And this person wrote, I won't read the whole thing, but really I very long. It's very long.
Speaker 3: But this person starts with imagine a warm memory from childhood enjoying the respite of a cool movie theater during the hot summer, munching on salty popcorn and your favorite fruity candy, maybe playfully arguing with your siblings or friends over who gets the last piece of candy. Fast forward ten to twenty years later, and every time you open your bag or box of that candy, you're instantly transported back to your younger years and that blissful moment. You're momentarily reminded of how it felt to be young and carefree. And then she keeps talking, and she says, it may seem trivial to some, but imagine the discip of and longing you would feel if something's so nostalgic and irreplaceable to simply disappeared one day. That is how possibly thousands of people, if not more, feel having lost their favorite candy in the whole world.
Speaker 1: So ours, okay, so basically ours are Mike and Ike's, but there were Sour versus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mike and Ike brands Sour Delicious Sours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty twenty, they're discontinued. So pretty there.
Speaker 2: Discontinued in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: And this person has written to just Born asked about them. The company said, if you're looking for something sour try or Mike and Ike megamix sour. She's like, no, that's not good enough, and she ends the petition by saying, please consider emailing, calling or mailing just Born the parent company of Mike and Ike to let them know how much it would mean to you to have them back. Then she gives the email link, she gives the phone number, the corporate office number. They're hours where you can mail letters. I mean this, I got to say, I want to ask you both what you think of this position. But this is one of the most thorough petitions I've ever read on here, you know.
Speaker 2: For something that like that important.
Speaker 3: And I feel that the fact that this person not sometimes these people talk in a way that they really try to sound sophisticated and they're really whatever, and then they're sort of you can't take it seriously because it's so sort of like who is this to? What is this for the way that this person laid out their petition, I really respect them, and I can see how much they want this candy to come back, and they actually have gotten a lot of signatures for it. So I started with myself was just kind of untraditional, but I'm for it. Anyways, what do you think, Steven.
Speaker 5: I'm a big candy fan and I support anything involving candy.
Speaker 4: I eat quite a bit of it. But having said that, candy has gone through many iterations, and maybe there's a reason they don't know. I don't know z ours. I don't Mike and Ike. But you know, if you like.
Speaker 5: The sour stuff, Sour Patch kids are pretty good. I know it's say, but I remember when when red eminem's were taken out because red dye number five caused I don't know something in the seventies. So there were no red eminems up until like the late eighties, and I remember being outraged, but there were options.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I'm I support the candy, but yeah, I can't. I can't get on board with this one. I wish I.
Speaker 1: Could, Okay, Yeah, I was always more of a hot Tamales fan when it came to the scene, the cinnamon one. But you know, I suffered from this thing, and I would. I'm sure it would be the same with this candy. Where you're at the movies, you get big bag hot tomoraw's your psych The first couple are so good, then it just turns you have too many of them and all of a sudden they taste completely disgusting. Yeah, and I think that would happen with these hours too. I think I like, I like sower Patch kids, I like sour. I never eat it, but I like it. But I think it would turn pretty fast. And honestly, I don't know firsthand, but I think the difference between a sour and a sour mic and ike like the combination of corn syrup and sugar is probably close enough. Yeah where I get you of the nostalgic memory of SO hours, but you put on a blindfold, it probably is just a sour flavored Mike. It's probably close enough. I would have missed Warhead.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: This person's strongly. I mean, she says that it really does not stuck up. It's the replacements too, waxy does not have the same consistency or mouth feel fair enough.
Speaker 1: I mean, she would know better than me. I mean, because I've never had you know, so so maybe she's right. I don't know. I mean, for this company just born, I guarantee you it's about the bottom line. If these SO hours were selling, they'd be making them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, it's also interesting economics.
Speaker 3: None of us of the three of us remember this candy, so that says something time.
Speaker 4: But I did play in another band in California called mouth Feel, so.
Speaker 1: Wow, I get that love that interesting. Let's get to this last one. This final petition is called Reboot The Sauce. It's got eight signatures eight and it says, Hi, I'm organizing this petition to ask to bring back the nightly talk show The Sauce. It was a variety talk show hosted by Jared Cotter and Stephen Smith, which was based out of New York City. The show was known to interview different singers, movie and TV stars, and other public figures where they would have music performances. The show lasted from April second, two thousand and seven to May twenty second, two thousand and eight. It was an awesome show to watch every night, and I needed it to be on more years, so I asked to please have the show come back. Steven, what do you think about rebooting The Sauce?
Speaker 5: You know, I'm all for anything that I was involved in, and Jared, Jared was. I worked with a lot of people. Jared to this day is my most favorite person to host a TV show with. And Jared Cotter he's a manager out in La Now I'm a singer, but he was on. He was famous for being on American Idol and when he was removed, he sang let's get it on by mar and Gay and dedicated to his parents, which I know he hates that I bring up all the time. But Jared, that was We had a lot of fun on that show. We It was a very weird show that would have like Andrew Dice Clay one day and then like Paramore the next wow, or Kelly Clarkson performing live and then like uh oh, just to data like the cast of Heroes remember Heroes on in the eighties with it was like it was like the first big like superhero esque show before like iron Man and everything kicked off the okay, that kind of thing. We have those casts our Dato Radcliffe came by a bunch to the point where she would like recommend bands to me.
Speaker 4: That's how often he came by.
Speaker 1: That's the show where Madonna came on it.
Speaker 4: No, that was a special segmentent that we did where we got to talk to Madonna where she was nonplussed with any of the other interviewers. But Jonah and I were smart and talked about Eugene who to go go bordello? And she happened to love this guy, so she was so nice to us and let me ask all these kind of crazy questions.
Speaker 2: And Joan, I don't think I knew that you met her.
Speaker 1: I wasn't there. But then we worked on the questions.
Speaker 4: I don't know you were doing well. Then we snuck it onto the rock show.
Speaker 5: We're like, hey, guys, here's Madonna and we'd like to throw it on the show because we actually got to a point where we just do what But the sauce was a lot of fun. And I'll tell you what I loved about it was my wife worked on that show.
Speaker 4: Well she's my girlfriend, so now she's my ex girlfriend. But that show was done. I mean, Jenny could say he was there. It was like a skeleton crew. It was like seven or eight people.
Speaker 5: And with the crew, it was a live show every day, five days a week, and I don't know how we pulled it off. And my wife, she was the talent booker and the programmer for the channel, so.
Speaker 4: She would get all these all these.
Speaker 5: Crazy bands to come on, like like big names, and it was just it was bonkers, super bombers, but it was fun. One day we had like Henry Rollins sitting there just talking about something, and then I think it was we had like the Harlem glow.
Speaker 1: Dryers, like wow, incredible.
Speaker 4: It was like, I don't know, just fun.
Speaker 2: So if they brought it back, you'd do it again.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, wholeheartedly, be fun.
Speaker 5: Bring I'd make my kids hosted, but only if Jonah writes it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I'm available. Yeah, I would like to bring the show back. I love I love watching Stephen host. Like I said, not to heap too much praise on Stephen, but Steven has such a good sense of timing. And I noticed this when we did the podcast, and it's like, if you say, Stephen, talk for twelve seconds, like Steven knows how to talk for the very specific set of skills that might not carry over into a lot of places but always impresses me. So I would love to see Steven on TV. Love to see him out there cutting it up with you know, Billie Eilish or.
Speaker 5: You know Billy Eilish came by fuse okay, and it was because they had this was long after we had been gone, but they had Phineas on Okay.
Speaker 4: Wow, and that's why my wife brought Phineas because he was the name and he was just bringing around his sister.
Speaker 1: Wow. Incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't make any other references, but that's yeah, that's who I think would be on the show now.
Speaker 4: Maybe yeah, like Olivia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: I mean this is eight signatures. It looks like it's about to have eleven.
Speaker 1: Yep, you're signing this one too.
Speaker 3: I'm signing this one hundred. Yeah, Stephen, you are such a good host. You're such a great We didn't even get into when you were on Queer I We'll get into that next time.
Speaker 2: Didn't you get a make up? Weren't you made over on Queer Eye?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yes, that was the second highest rated episode.
Speaker 6: Really.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was a lot of fun. It was very goofy. It was like a cross promotional thing with Fuse. And they didn't tell me they were showing up and we had a table reading and all of a sudden they crashed in and I said something ridiculous like ladies and gentlemen, the homosexuals have arrived, and it just turned into this whole goofy thing. Now, what cracked me up was the culture part. Like, they came over and throw my stuff. And the culture guy. Oh it was Jay Rodriguez. So I had seen him. I've seen him in Rendom. Yeah, he played Angel and he came in and he was like this. He went, I like your stuff, your stuff, Your stuff seems fine, and I went, yeah, okay, okay, we'll play it up. And then Carson Kresley and I thought it'd be really funny to just like mess with each other and slam doors and be ridiculous. And there's like a video of like slamming a door in Carson and all these kind of things, but literally, goofy stuff.
Speaker 1: You didn't want to cut your hair? That's right, isn't that true?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It was stupid. Should have cut I should just gone for it. You know what they call it, hindsight is twenty thousand no.
Speaker 2: Right, something like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're all voting for the same petition here, Yeah, bring back the sauce, right, sauce it up?
Speaker 3: So I think, okay, between these three, if we had to pick just one between music use during study hall, bring back sours Candy, and bring back the sauce, what's everyone voting for?
Speaker 4: I think we're all in Agreement music and Study Hall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the sauce Oh and shoot, yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, you're right. That's the one I should have gone with. See, I never I never think.
Speaker 3: What no, no, no, no, you're we it's good. We've got we feel strongly about two of these. That's not very common. No, Now, before we wrap up, do you guys want to hear me sing like just a snippet of the theme song to California Dreams.
Speaker 4: Yes, one hundred percent.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, don't wake me up, don't wake me yup cause I'm dream and California your dreams. Just let me away here and the sun until my dreams up and still my dream instill.
Speaker 1: That was amazing, Thank you, Vanessa Steven. Is there anything you'd like to promote or any kind of anything you're working on?
Speaker 5: Or I would like to promote this amazing podcast called how did this geel Weird?
Speaker 4: Which is good?
Speaker 5: And I like to throw out jonah our old podcast which is still running, which is great. Benny Horowitz and Brad Goop doing going off track Benny from Gaslights still on tour, and oh yeah oh in the groups just released a single, the first single in like twenty five thirty years or something.
Speaker 1: Yes, I saw that, so check that out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all kinds of fun stuff and whatever Vanessa's working on, which I can't wait because whenever I whenever I turn on the TV and I see you in something that I didn't realize you were in, which is so many things.
Speaker 4: I'm just.
Speaker 5: And I just pointed out to the girls. They go yeah, and I'm like, no, she's amazing.
Speaker 2: And whatever Jonah's working on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you write some articles and helping some people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got some and you can check me out and do some bios. Check my stuff out Spin and some most of the podcast Big Magazine. It's like, my that's my big kind of public facing thing.
Speaker 4: Is this? This podcast is so great.
Speaker 5: It was so hard to go through because I'm a listener, and I was the one episode that it didn't bumm me out because it was just like, oh man, I would love to have talked about that because Lord, Jan Grays g I Joe was my jam when I.
Speaker 4: Was a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah, And I was.
Speaker 4: Like, oh my gosh, she nailed it. Oh it's so great.
Speaker 1: Well you have to come back, Stephen. That was so fun. Thank you so much for joining us and everyone for listening. If you enjoyed that, please subscribe to the podcast and keep it out for next week's episode of How Did We Get Weird? But we will discuss more stories from our childhood and cultural touchstones like mister Rogers.
Speaker 8: Neighborhood, Yes, thank you, Steven, and don't wake me up with them dream.
Speaker 4: I know that a very reason