Speaker 1: Congratulations, you've been accepted into the inaugural class of Therapy for Black Girls University. Whether packing for a new year on campus, thinking through your gap year, enrolling in a community college, or grabbing your souls for graduation, tbgu is here to help you thrive at this stage of your life and beyond. If you're as chronically online as I am, you may recall a viral video from twenty twenty two of USC's first ever major at dance team, the Cardinal Divas. Leading this groundbreaking team is Princess. Isis Ze Lang, a senior musical theater major at the University of Southern California, a proud member of Delta Sigma Theta Sort Incorporated, and my guest for today's episode. In our conversation and Princess and I discussed the inspiration behind the founding of the Cardinal Divas, how Princess manages a work life balance as a student leader, and the importance of creating a space for black students out a PWI. Here's our conversation. Hi Princess, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good?
Speaker 1: How are you I'm doing well? Thank you so much for being here. I'm so excited to talk with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. I'm very excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Lovely. Well, our listeners may recall your viral founding of USC's first ever major rite dance team, the Cardinal Divas. Let's start from the very beginning. When did you first fall in love with dance?
Speaker 2: When did I first fall in love with dance? It had to be when I was basically like two. I started with tumbling in gymnastics, and I was dancing when I wasn't tumbling, and my coaches they told my mom and dad, they were like, y'all should get her some dance classes too, because she's always dancing around somewhere. So that's basically where it all began.
Speaker 1: Lovely, that's so cute. Talk to us about the creation of the Cardinal Divas. What's the origin story there, Why did you decide to create it when you did, and what told you that you needed to do it.
Speaker 2: So I've been doing majorttes since about second or third grade and being able to progress with that and also go into high school still doing it. I knew that I most likely wasn't going to go to an HBCU just because they don't have my major, and so I was like, Okay, I don't want to stop doing major att so let's see what USC has to offer. And of course they didn't have a major AT team, but they had all these different spirit teams. But I was realizing that I didn't see myself in any of those teens. Whether that's how I look, how I talk, how I dance, how were my hair, nothing would be befitting to who I was as princess. And this is all during COVID too, So this is after we got into the school and basically like it's time to start and this was my way to get back into athletics again. And while I was looking, I was like, I don't want to come to whatever they're gonna make me do just to say I'm dancing. And so I was talking to my mom and I was like, hmm, I know I haven't even been on campus yet, but like, I want to make a major ad team. But girl relaxed, you know, like who do you think you are? And my mom was like, girl, you gotta make that team if that's what you want to do, and that's what I do.
Speaker 1: I love that. And shout out to your mom for pushing you and you trusting your gut in college. That's a bit finicky sometimes just with everything going on. So I'm so happy to hear that. I would love to hear more about you as a student. Can you tell us your major, your year and all that jazz?
Speaker 2: So I am a senior now majoring in musical theater with the BFA program, So I sing, dance, and act every single day.
Speaker 1: Perfect For some of our listeners who aren't familiar with major AT style dance, can you describe what it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So basically major At style of dance. It comes from the jazz style of dance, but it's also originated in African roots, and that's also where jazz is originated from. And being able to add our original jazz committed to also adding in ballet and adding in all these different styles, combining them together. But the only difference with major is you're using your soul. It's about your body and you're living in your body or letting other people live through your body when you're dancing. And I feel like this is the only dance form where people get to really feel something and they get to see your soul while dancing. And it's just something that's basically incomparable to any other style.
Speaker 1: I would totally agree what makes a major at team different from other dance teams that perform at college sport games.
Speaker 2: So they'll be like a poms team or a spirit team or just cheerleaders in general, and they're they're there to hit their five, sit, seven, eight, you know, clean quick, small things like that. Palm teams, they add hip hop styles and some kinds of new jazz styles as well, and then I would say Major is basically like the complete opposite. There's different styles of eight counts and sixteen counts. And we're moving slow, we're moving fast. We're using our body, not just our arms and our legs. We're using our necks, our fingertips, our toes are fighed, everything is getting used every second of that dance, and I just feel like we're I catching and it's just like, oh my gosh, how are they moving their bodies like that? I am mesmerized, and I feel like that's what mador is mesmerized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like when I watch any video, any clip, I am stuck on the whole performance until the last count and I'm just like, Okay, that was perfect, that was it, and that was that. Since creating a team, Can you tell us about a moment that truly affirmed for you that you made the right choice in founding it?
Speaker 2: Okay, So when everything hid blew up, first of all, that was not the plan. That's not what I had in mind at and being able to get the positivity, but of course with positivity comes negativity. But there were people that were reaching out to me and they were like fans, and I was like fans, me, like what. It was just so crazy and having girls say like you're so inspiring I feel seen now in my community and you make me want to do this now, can you help me and guide me on this journey because I want to be able to do the same thing for my school too, And so that's when I was like, oh my gosh, this is what I wanted to do. I wanted to put major in on a bigger platform than what it's already on, and I felt like I got the opportunity to do that and letting other students realize that there is an outlet for them, that it's created by them and created for them, and it's just like, oh, it's so satisfying to have people believe in themselves again and get inSpot through dance, because that's really all we do it for, you know, and so it's really nice to being able to help other people see themselves where they are.
Speaker 1: So essentially you became a mentor in this space to other young women that are inspired by the work you do.
Speaker 2: I guess so I've never really even thought of it like that, but yeah.
Speaker 1: We'll shout out to you. So September seventeenth, twenty twenty two is a significant date for the Cardinal Divas because it marks the first time you all performed at a USC game. Can you recall how you felt at that moment? What was the reaction you received from the students.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna give a little backstory. I was finessing at this point. Okay, you did not have seats. It was all a dream. Okay. I was like, I work with athletics and I also work with students governments, So I'm gonna just work a little something. See how many seats did you get? And when we did that and we started dancing, everybody was like, who are danced? What is this? What is going on?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Who are y'all? And everybody was just so excited and they were like, oh my god, what are y'all doing? Like where has this been all of the time? Like we need this, and so it was just really heartwarming to see people that literally have never seen this or heard of it being so supportive already, because honestly, I was preparing for the worst and I was like, Okay, these fans, they might hate it, the students might hate it. I don't know, but we're here to do it, and so we're gonna have fun doing it. And it honestly made it even better that they loved it so much and they were like, oh my gosh, this is amazing, Like I'm so excited for y'all, And it was just a great experience and a great energy to have around. Literally the best day ever.
Speaker 1: What do you think the team met For other black women on campus?
Speaker 2: It definitely meant that they are now seen and they have a community, even whether or not they feel like they're a part of it or not. At a PWI and it's a large school, it's hard for us to feel seen, have our voices heard, and find a community where it's us And this was just yet another way for us to keep being black in every single space that we entered. Because just because I go to a PWI does not mean I get to turn off my black switch. Doesn't work like that. And being able to create opportunities for us and create these spaces and uplifting our own voices and uplifting our creativity. It was just a great way for them to feel like they are a part of it. Even if they're not dancing, they feel like, it feels so good to see some black girls dancing out there, because Laura knows you don't really get to see it that often. So it was a great space for all black girls to come together, really all black people really.
Speaker 1: I'll say for me, it was during my senior year and I also went to a PWI UNC Chapel Hill, and so when I saw the Cardinal Divas on Twitter, I was like, oh wait, hold on, like hold on, this is that And just seeing the joy on all of your faces and me just being able to relate to being a black woman at a PWI and just knowing I can't even imagine what it took to get that figured out, and then you being radically visible in your blackness and your experience. It was just beautiful. I was in awe. And so it went from Southern California all the way to North Carolina. Like you hit all the black women, so it hit me as well.
Speaker 2: I'm happy that we got to do that.
Speaker 1: I am too, for real and it's inspiring just to see it. So outside of the Cardinal Divas, can you name some other major AT teams who you love?
Speaker 2: Yes? So, growing up, my personal favorite teams were Southern University, the Stingats Alabama, and also we duh had to of course have Jackson State. It was always those three teams that I will always admire and watch videos growing up. And what's funny is when I went to high school and I joined another music team and another dance team, one of the captains was also a sting Get and so it was just amazing to have that and then keep on going. And we had all kinds of dancers on our team, and so having them come back and influence us and inspire us and push us, it was just a great way to continue what this is now. And even like growing up now being twenty one years old and being a senior and being able to watch other dancers like Texas Southern, like they are amazing their uniforms, the unity, it's always a hit like I'm even friends with one of them on the team right now, and so it's just like, I just love watching y'all dance.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I love that there are other people that inspire you and inspire the work you do, because we're all, at the end of the day getting inspiration with our creativity from other people. So I love that. When I was at UNC, I was an executive team member of the Black Student Movement, and I know how hard it is to find harmony with life assignments socializing. So tell me what has been the biggest challenge about being a student leader. How have you worked through this that has.
Speaker 2: Been extremely hard? Okay, I'll say I'm very busy, but I also don't want it to be like I'm not productive, So I'm very busy and very productive at the same time. And last year it was literally a whorldwind like I would not suggest other people do this, but I would have a two show day and a game day within that, so I would have a show early, i would run to the stadium to do the game, and then I'll run back to the theater to do our second show. And it was just like, Wow, Princess, why are you living like this, But when you're committed and you're dedicated and you love what you do, it's like, uh, it makes you feel good. And I can say like, it's definitely hard being able to make time for certain things and make time for relationships that I'm in and being able to be like, Okay, I'm twenty one years old now, and I have to realize I have to have these sections dedicated to everything, and the people that are around me also have to understand that I am very involved and it's just what I am who I am, and I feel like it's been hard, but it's also like having the right people around you makes it a little less harder. They give you the space to be like I understand, like you just had rehearsal and now you're going to practice. I get it. You can't hang out or if a relationship is like, oh well I need to see you and we can do this on this weekend, you have a free day, whatever that case makes. And I just feel like the people that have been surrounding me and loving on me have made it easier for me with the hecticness of my schedule.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm sorry, Taylor, and I'm the TBG podcast production intern. We'll return to Jana right after the break.
Speaker 1: I'm curious, what have you learned about yourself during this journey.
Speaker 2: I have learned that I've always been a leader in a way, and I'm also a member of Delta Sigma, thet that's already incorporated, and so not only having that allow me to become this great woman and supporting the people that are around me, but then having each of these teams that I'm a part of also give me the step in store to do that. It was just like, wow, Princess, like you're really grown, and it's just amazing to see like the work ethic that I have and being able to say, like, I don't have time for this, but I'm still going to figure out a way to make sure that it gets done in a timely manner and in a way where I am still proud of it. And I've also learned that I'm not perfect and everything is always going to work out and that's also okay. And it's like you have to be okay with whatever the plan is. If I say I have a plan, God is gonna laugh at me. So I just have to follow along, okay. And I feel like I've really been able to just step back be a leader but also follow as well, And I feel like you have to be able to do both in order to be a good leader and have people that respect you and understand you and want to work with you. Yeah, And I just feel like it's been a whole lot of growth in that area, and also just as a as a young lady, like it's hard, but it's like you can do.
Speaker 1: This, okay. So I really love that you brought up this point of being flexible with the plans that you say that you have. I feel like in college, planning is important, but also planning can get a little bit toxic at times because not only are you planning for the unknown, but sometimes you're planning with the ideas of others around you, your family, and so it's just important to just I really like that you said, like, take a step back and recognize that sometimes it's above you and whatever you're doing, you're gonna have to trust in the process that I'm doing the best I can with the knowledge that I have, and not putting so much pressure on yourself to have all the answers. I feel like that is the biggest point of advice for anyone in school, out of school, just in that age range. So I really love that she said that. I'm curious to know about balance with you, though, So balancing the demands of being a student, a leader, and potentially other roles within the organization can be challenging. And I know the impact of burnout is incredibly real on college campuses. So how do you like to take care of yourself?
Speaker 2: Honestly?
Speaker 1: I eat.
Speaker 2: I am a big foodie. I love food, and I'm just like, you know what, I'm gonna take myself out because I deserve it. And it's not something super big, but it makes me feel like I'm a human because I get tired, I'm exhausted. I always have a lot of work to do, whether that school work, team work, other and I'm just like, good God, I just need a good meal in me. And that's what I do. And also I lay down. If I just want to lay down, I'm gonna lay down and I'll feel bad about it later, but I feel good about it right now because I deserve. I feel like we have to be able to really know what's best for ourselves. And I've really learned that throughout college years and when professors, for example, they want to take advantage of your time. No, I'm sorry, but the answer is no. So the answer no has become quite quite relevant in my vocabulary, and I feel like that's good because you want to set boundaries for people and for yourself, and especially in times like these where you have a lot going on. And I feel like I've really been able to do that and it's been helping me stay healthy.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. No is a complete sentence every time, every time, no question, literally, no comments, So really quick for our la girlies, our foodies. What food spots does, princess isis slang recommend So.
Speaker 2: All my LA girlies don't get on me. Don't get on but I'm from Chicago, so y'all, food really don't be hitting on nothing for real. I'm sorry, but what I can say is places like Duelings. It's a soulful place. They have their good days. They also have like their kind of off days. But I get oxtail and emails off the bone like it's just so good, y'all. Need you put some hot sauce on the cabbage? Oh? Yes, what else?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: There was this new jerk place I just went to. I don't even remember, but it's like right downtown. If I had the name, I was so give it to y'all. I'm not a gamekeeper, I promise. Also on TikTok, I heard Jazzy's kitchen is really good. Now I haven't tried it, so if it's nasty, I did not tell you to get it, but I want to try it myself, and when I do, I can be like, oh, yeah, it's good. Job, y'all can go.
Speaker 1: You know right, we'll come back. We'll circle back to see like if it was gooder, but if it wasn't good exactly how do you maintain a good school slash life balance.
Speaker 2: I'm laughing because I'm still figuring it out. I've been trying and trying to get it in right. But let's just go through it, Okay. So I wake up in the morning, I have classes nine A HIM, I'm done at five p. Six PM. I have rehearsal for my major six to ten, and then usually ten PM I have practice with the team. Now you may ask me, girl, when you have time to do anything, go to bed, eat, live, listen. It works out. Sometimes class might get canceled. I'll say, hey, you want to go hang out, let's do something or I'll be like, no, I want to stay in my bed. I want to watch TV. I want to watch Ugly Betty, and I want to be to myself and I want to eat a good meal. So I try. It is hard with the restraints that I am basically in with my class schedules and stuff. But I feel like the people around me they understand. And Sundays that's really a good day for me. Like we can get a Sunday in. So I feel like the people they know what's going on. So maybe I'll go to a party every blue moon, you know, if I'm feeling up to them. Game days be kind of late. But I try. Okay, I try, That's all I can say. I do try.
Speaker 1: And that's the biggest thing I think balance is. It's not that it's not real in college, but I just feel like everyone's figuring it out for themselves, and so I'm just proud of be for figuring it out. I feel like figuring it out is a good enough answer, and it works for you. And so if that's where you are, that's where you are, and you make do what you have. So looking forward, what are your hopes and dreams for the Cardinal Divas.
Speaker 2: Definitely, the main goal for the team is to be officially affiliated with USC and Athletics and being able to be a spirit team just as well as the others. And that comes along with a lot of perts. And that's just like we get to go to away games, we get to be on the field, we get to do a halftime performance, we get to have that same respect and get those same support systems and resources that other people get, like a space to even practice for practicing at my apartment. So it's just small things like that really matter, and I'm still fighting for it and I'm still trying to make sure that we get that because we do deserve it. And that's really just my main goal. I just want the team to be respected as a team and to have the same resources that everybody.
Speaker 1: Else has as they should.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm sorry, Taylor, and I'm the TBG podcast production. In turn, we'll return to Jana right after the break.
Speaker 1: I'm curious what have been some of the pitfalls during your time as a leader with the Cardinal Davis.
Speaker 2: I'll definitely say it was hard coming back this semester this school year, really because it was the new season and there was so much negativity, and I know that people are gonna be watching like hawks now and it's just like, y'all have to be perfect. Y'all have to make sure you know what you're doing. And so we had food camp and we were literally pushing ourselves every single day, and even for the vets, it was hard and it was a lot of pressure on us, and I feel like that also could be a pitfall. You can put pressure on yourselves to push yourselves, but you also want to know when it's enough. And I want to make sure that we can mesh well, not just dancing, but as a team, as a cohort, and being able to find those times where we can just hang out and just get to know each other. I feel like that's just really important for us and still to right now. We still want to keep doing that and keep learning about each other because that doesn't just mean, oh, we just want to have fun, but it also it makes you mesh on the dance floor better. And so it's just small things like that. I want to make sure that I can remember and make sure that I apply for the next people and the next people in the next people.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. I know you're currently a Senior. How are your feelings about leaving your legacy at USC soon.
Speaker 2: It's like scary because it's my little baby. I don't want to leave, but I'm not gonna just separate myself completely because I am the creator. So I feel like I am obligated to make sure I still support this team in any way possible that I can, whether I'm in LA or not. And so I feel like I just have to make sure that I'm still available to them, whether I'm a student or not. And that's just really important to me. And I've really been thinking about it a lot lately because it's like, huh, this season is almost over itself, so who's going to be the new captain and who's going to be the new manager and it's just all these things, and it's just like, oh, I'm scared, like I don't want to let go. But also I have to be able to gain trust in these new girls that are here now and the girls that are coming after us, and I make sure that they understand the legacy that I am leaving here so they can be able to uphold it even if I'm not there, and so they can be able to give it to the new girls after them that are coming, and it's just being able to tell each other what the meaning of this is and why it's so important and why we want to keep it going and why it deserves a place here. And I just feel like as long as we keep that momentum and that determination with everybody that's coming into this team, and it's going to withhold the legacy that I drink to have.
Speaker 1: So I know seniors dread this question, but what are the next steps for the ORG once you graduate?
Speaker 2: So once I graduate, hopefully in Jesus' name, we do pray we will be a USC athletic team. And I've already been telling like people that have graduated from the team, when we get that first field show, I want every single dancer out there, whether you are a graduate or not, everybody deserves to live in this moment. And so that's just really what I want asap. Of course I want it before I leave, but I understand if it doesn't happen, so as long as that's still a goal not just for me, but for everybody, and I just having that in the back of your head, it's just like, Okay, we're doing this for a reason. All of these opportunities that we keep getting. Wow, we're not really giving them that much support right now, but all these other places are in love with them and they want them everywhere, So we should be realizing what we have in front of us.
Speaker 1: What words about information do you have for others out there who want to start a community or a club on campus that represents who they are, their background, or their passions.
Speaker 2: I would definitely say keep being yourself because changing for other people is never going to benefit you in the end. So if you have a dream and aspiration, then it's best to go with that, and whoever is supporting you is meant to be with you along with the journey, and whoever's not it's meant to be left right where they're at. Okay, take advantage of everything that is given to you and run with it. It doesn't matter how old you are, what you look like, whether you're a man a woman. You deserve the space that you want to have, So keep creating that space and make space where you think there is no space.
Speaker 1: I love that and that's going to stick with me, Like in my Postcrid journey, but like that is so important can be put into any avenue of someone's life. That's beautiful. What do you see for yourself post your undergraduate career post undergrad?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's that question of y'all hate. Honestly, I don't really know anymore. I've just been like, I'm just living in the life right now.
Speaker 1: Light God to die.
Speaker 2: But it's like, girl, let's get them real. So let's figure it out. And I don't know where I'm gonna be. I am willing to go wherever I need to go in order for my success to take off in the aspects that I wanted to And as long as I get to keep telling black stories, then I'm gonna be happy wherever I'm at, and whether that's on TV and film or on a stage, whatever the case may be, as long as I get to keep doing what I've always been inspired to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I feel like I see a lot of myself in that answer. And I want to affirm you, like, it's okay if you don't know. It's okay if you don't know. It's a lot of seniors out there. It's actually great that you don't know. I feel like it's just wild sometimes that pressure to know, like, yeah, you're twenty one, we're twenty two, like, why would we know?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: I support you?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Can you share the ways we can get connected with the Cardinal Divas of SC.
Speaker 2: So we have an Instagram at Cardinal Divas of SC. We also just created a YouTube channel as well, and it's basically just blogging our game days and what that's like and hearing what the people want to see, so we can get that. And honestly, you can tweet about us, Instagram about us, snapchat about us. We'll see it. And we're gonna appreciate all the support, whether it's from La New York, Miami, whatever the case may be. We're always so appreciative of everybody that has not just come before us, but everybody that has now joined the journey and is supportive of the journey.
Speaker 1: And where can we keep up with you? What are your social media handles and website?
Speaker 2: On my socials Instagram, Twitter are at Princess Lang, P R I N T E, S S L A and G zero. That's me. Yeah, I always DM me if you want.
Speaker 1: I look forward to seeing more from the Cardinal Divas and you soon. Thank you so much Princess for talking with me today.
Speaker 2: Of course, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: I want to thank Princess once again for joining us for this episode. Classes over for now, but before we dismiss, take the following notes from my conversation with Princess Home with you. There is a place for me to feel safe, accepted, and seen on my campus, even if I have to create it myself. I can manage everything on my plate while still making time for self care. I have the ability to grow my student organization as far as I want it to go. To learn more about the work Princesses doing or to do more research on this topic, be sure to visit Therapy for Blackgirls dot com, slash tvgu This episode was produced by Frida Lucas, Elise Ellis, and Zaria Taylor. Editing is by Dennison L. Bradford