Speaker 1: Hey, what is up? Everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Get the Charge podcast presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I am the host, and we are so happy to be back after a week off. We hope everybody had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and we obviously we're off. I was on a cruise without internet, so I appreciate the flexibility this week and excited to be back again talking about the Chargers here on this channel with my guy Tyler.
Speaker 1: Tyler, what's up, man? How are you doing this evening?
Speaker 3: I am at peace.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I love my wife, love my dog, love my family. I love talking to you every week, of course, so I'm at peace. I'm content.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 3: How'se adjustment back to regular life?
Speaker 2: That was very well said. Yeah, I still like I've been off the cruise for forty eight hours and I still feel like I'm on the boat. Like you know, I was like up and around and moving and stuff yesterday. But when I got to work today and I sat down at my desk, I was like, man, I still feel like I'm like rocking, And it's a weird feeling. For those of you have been on a cruise before, I don't know if this is normal or not.
Speaker 1: It does not feel normal to me, but it is what it is. We'll figure it out all right.
Speaker 2: As usual, we'll have some stuff to recap from the Chargers last game, obviously the Chargers coming up short at the hands of the Baltimore Ravens, so we'll have some things to discuss from that game. And then we've never done a Q and A on this feed, and so we decided to send out a tweet and we'll take some questions. Felt like it was important to kind of see where the fan base is at as a collective with the Chargers being four and seven and playoff hopes basically eliminated at this point, so not mathematically, but it's very very small percentage chance at this point. So we'll have some things to talk about, and then we'll get some of your thoughts that we got on Twitter, so appreciate other great questions and we'll get to those in a minute here before we get started on today's show. As always, Tyan and I are fans of the team just like you guys are.
Speaker 1: We've been giving this platform and are very grateful for it.
Speaker 2: But the opinions that we express on this show and every week on this show are just out there. They are our opinions, not the opinions of the Chargers organization. You know, we've been bused to have this platform and hopefully it continues and hopefully you guys enjoy the platform. So we've had a lot of fun doing this show, and we'll continue to have a lot of fun doing the show.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into this Chargers Ravens game, you know, twenty to ten loss on Sunday Night football.
Speaker 1: We talked a.
Speaker 2: Lot on our own channel previously, but we'll have some things that we keep kind of in the chamber, so to speak, for this show today into and Tyler, we'll start with you here on this one. Your biggest kind of takeaway maybe about the defense, because I think it is it is important to state that the defense had a much better performance against the Ravens than they did against the Packers, and certainly better than was expected.
Speaker 1: So what's your biggest takeaway.
Speaker 2: Coming off of that defensive performance against the Ravens on Sunday Night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we knew there was going to be some sort of change up to the rotation. We didn't know how much, how much could you adjust who could be benched, who could be rotated in Honestly, at most I thought it would be Dean Leonard over Michael Davis, and we got that, but there were more changes as well, And I'm not going to overreact to, you know, a one game sample size against a team that's missing Mark Andrews and it's a run heavy offense, and OBJ was banged up going into it, and so was Zay. But overall you have to admit that in terms of what was on the field and the defensive coverages, what Brandon Stalely did in terms of the rotation and the changeups. While it may have been frustrating at different points throughout this season, I do believe the decision to go with Dean Leonard and Is sang Bassi and Jalen Hawkins all contributed to the defense playing a lot more sound than frankly, we've been used to seeing for quite some time. So again, it is a one game sample size, but it was a lot better. And as a unit, the defensive backs only allowed one hundred and one passing yards by Lamar, you know, linebackers and tu Ley and some other guys allowed the rest of it, but still only one hundred one passing yards is significantly better than it was last week and weeks prior. And you know, guys were beat sometimes and Dean Leonard had to battle out there. He was targeted ten times, gave up eight catches, But it really just felt like if they lost, they were losing one on ones, kind of as a natural part of football, because sometimes guys win, sometimes guys lose. It didn't feel like these these hair pulling out coverage breakdowns like we saw against the Packers and Lions. So overall, they played a lot better, and I think some of the guys in the front seven in particular, obviously Khalil Mack benefited from that tremendously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Dean Leonard is obviously going to take some some lumps. You know, he started without much preparation against the Lions, and I thought played pretty well in that one. You know, certainly held his own when when targeted there. I think you had two forced incompletions, no forcing completions against the Ravens, but I thought played solid. And you know, the numbers are are are not backbreaking, and I think that's such an important aspect of things similar to like a backup offensive tackle coming in is like can you can you battle? Can you can you fight through everything that's going on? And can you avoid a potential avalanche game? Like, yeah, he was targeted ten times, but you know the fact that he only gave up sixty yards receiving. I think it is a pretty you know, positive performance from him.
Speaker 1: We know what he's able to do.
Speaker 2: On special teams, and I think this can be something going forward that he can kind of hang us hat on it as maybe can become a legitimate contributor in the NFL. And you know, I think that secondary just needed some kind of a spark, and the Chargers defensive, you know, brain trust if you will, I think came up with a combination that they felt better about and and I think so far, so good, and you know, we'll see what happens, you know, this week. I don't think they'll be tested very much against the Patriots passing attack, but they obviously have some some difficult matchups down the stretch.
Speaker 1: You know, they play the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: You know, Russell Wilson and Courtland Sutton have started to really figure it out. Obviously, they played Devonte Adams and Jacoby Myers. They'll play Stefan Diggs, Gabe Davis, Dalton Concaid and those guys against the Buffalo, so they have so much tougher matchups down the stretch. But if this unit can kind of, if this combination rather can kind of stabilize the unit, then I think, you know, the Chargers do deserve credit for making that change. I think defensively, the biggest story for me has to be what Khalil Mack has been able to do, was able to do last night, and has been able to do all season long. You know, I felt like when you kind of zoom out and watched his performance on tape from last season, I felt like he was really, really solid. I felt like the tape was better than the numbers looked, And a lot of the lack of numbers was teams, you know, double teaming him very often and running the football away from him, you know, very often. But the film was always really good in my opinion. And now this year with Joey for some games and two Ley in his emergence, you know, Khalil's getting a lot more opportunities to have one on one matchups, a lot more opportunities to where teams have to run the ball his way, and he's having a renaissance season. Like this is one of the more underrated stories of the season in terms of the NFL. Like he was kind of you know, when the Chargers made the trade, it was kind of like, oh, like, you know, he's kind of damaged goods, Like he's a little bit washed up. He's not the same player he once was. Well, this season he's he's playing like an elite pass rusher again.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He has fifty four total pressures according to PFF, which is tied for.
Speaker 1: Eighth in the league.
Speaker 2: PFF does not split sacks like Pro Football Reference DOS, so PFF has him at fourteen sacks, which is tied for first. His productivity radio nine point seven is ninth, his seventeen point one win percentage is twelfth. He has eighteen total run stops, which is tied for fifth alongside two Lee two below two, and his runstop percentage of eight point eight percent is tied for eighth. Like, that's top twelve at worst across the board. Is pretty damn good man, and Khalil Mack has been I think refreshed and rejuvenated by playing alongside like I said, you know, these edge rushers and having that kind of help, and it's a shame that this performance was kind of wasted in a loss, because I thought Khalil Mack was the best player on the field and in that matchup, and probably in the game as a whole, with his two sacks and the way he was able to control the over line of scrimmage. So this was a vintage Khali Mac performance. And it's been a renaissance season for him in general, and it's been a lot of fun to watch him be able to come in here and dominate games. Obviously he had the six SAC game, but just so consistent and so reliable. This year has been Klimak for this Chargers defensive line, and hopefully he gets the recognition that he deserves for the effort that he's put out the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember when the Chargers first traded for him, Brandon Staley talked about they wanted to bring in guys and Cord Lindsley was part of this too. They wanted to bring in guys who are prototypes at the position, both for what you saw on the field, of course, because that is Khalil Mack, but also how you carry yourself off the field, and I remember, I believe it was last offseason or in training camp. I should say, there wasn't a period of time where the Chargers had edge rushers that were not healthy and they needed more bodies out there. Khalil Mack, I remember him volunteering himself to just go against the third string guys or run with the fourth string defense or whatever, just because they needed it. And he listen, this is Khalil Mack. He's got everything he could ever want. He's a former first round pick, He's had a great career, he's made plenty of money. You know, he's had a great career. He could at this point with his contract with so much guaranteed, just kind of, you know, do whatever, fat absolutely, and instead he took it upon himself to be that guy and again the prototype that Brandon Staley was talking about off the field as well, and he's clearly been a big mentor for tu le Twi below too. I wish we had been able to see more of Khalil and Joey and Tooley together. Hopefully we still will, but I don't know how much more we're going to see of that. The interesting part is that it's gone from a season where he's playing well too. There's potential here for some real greatness to be achieved. I mean, the Chargers have not had a player with this many sacks in the season throughout the entire to LESCo tenure. I think the closest was thirteen with Joey in twenty seventeen. And Khalil Mack. Again, some people do like you mentioned, they do great or rate sacks differently. Some don't include sacks or half sacks or whatever. Yeah, but Khalil Mack currently has fourteen sacks according to a Pro Football Focus. Given his current pace and trajectory, he is on pace for twenty one and a half sacks twenty one point six to be exact. So we'll see if it goes up or down from there. The all time sack record in a single season is twenty two and a half. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: If he gets there.
Speaker 3: You may say that it's not something that's going to continue and then he might wear out. But he's been plenty productive the last few games, and may I remind Chargers fans that he's at fourteen right now and he gets to go play the Raiders again in a couple of weeks, which is a great way to increase your your sack totals on the year. So yes, do I think he breaks the all time Yes, they absolutely have been. So do I think he breaks the all time single season sack record. I don't know, but he's going to get very close based on his current trajectory. And whereas earlier in the season you say, okay, maybe the one game against the Raiders was a bit of a fluke with six sacks, and I don't expect that to happen again. But now he's stringing multiple games over the last four or five games where he has two sacks, two sacks, another two sacks. So I do think he will get very close to this, and that's something the Charges have not had it in a very very long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's shown that he can find the ability to get hot at any moment, you know, similar to like a three point shooter in the NBA. You mentioned the sacks, like his his pace there is you know, again, six sacks is it does a lot for your total here, but just from a pure pressure stampoint and you know, he's at fifty four right now. Last season he only had fifty nine and twenty twenty had fifty nine I was seeing twenty twenty one. He didn't play the whole season because of his foot injury. But he's on pace for over eighty pressures right now, which would be the most he's had in a season since he won Defensive Player of the Year in twenty sixteen, when he had ninety eight pressures. So it's not just like he's you know, being like inefficient but getting sacks. Like he's been very effective and efficient with his pressure output as well. Last season, his pre his pass rush win rate was you know, pretty similar to what he had in twenty twenty. This year, his pass rush ruin rate is his highest in twenty eighteen. Like, he is having a truly like renaissance season right now.
Speaker 1: For the Chargers.
Speaker 2: And although there was like that one tweet from after like two weeks when he didn't have a single win according to ESPN, it's like, well, now he's at a whole bunch of wins, you know, all these weeks later, and he's having such a strong season, and and you know, this is past rush, this is run defense. This we know what he's means to this team as a leader. You know, you mentioned what he's his influence has been on twoy two below too. Like I got the chance to interviewed to Lee on our channel a few weeks ago, and Tuley could not stop talking about you know Kmak as he refers to him and what he means to him and the example he is providing to these young players. So you know, again, it's a shame that that performance didn't result in a win because that was a truly like vintage Khaluo Mack performance. You know, I got a little little nervous there after, like the first couple of drimes that you know, this this Chargers defense was going to be in for a bad spot and it was Khalil who basically dragged them to this performance. And I think deserves to be praised for his his output. I mean, like it's just you know, two sacks against Lamar Jackson, and there were several other instances where you know, if Lamar is not Lamar, that's probably another four or five sack game from Khalil Mack. But credit Lamar two also for being just super just an insane athlete in the pocket and his capability never ceases to amaze. But Khalil was outstanding all night Long set the tone from the beginning and definitely.
Speaker 1: Deserves praise for what he's able to put out on side.
Speaker 3: Mak Yeah, and he is a pass rusher by designation, so we'll talk about his well brushing the passer, but what he does against the run is arguably more, if not even more so impressive than what he does as a rusher, And what he does against the run has been so important this season for the defensive turnaround against the run. Has the whole defense been exactly what we wanted. Not necessarily, but his commitment to playing the run, which is something like the numbers were not good for him last season, for really any of the edge rushers against the run, they didn't quite have the same numbers. This year, he's taking a huge step forward in that regard and really committed to it. And he watched that fourth down play against the Packers and the Packers try to bounce it outside, but Khalil Mackett is caved in the offensive line and I think the offensive tackle and the tight end and prevented them from able to go out. Sobviously tries to cut back in and because Jayden we has to cut back in. Nick Williams just waiting right there for him. You know, Khalil Mackett is just such a presence on so many different plays. You see the backside chase downs on certain guys like he's been phenomenal and I think he's Him and Keenan out are really having special seasons that are almost a bummer or bittersweet to see given the trajectory of the entire team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know these are you know, we'll see what happens. You know, proble voting open today. Khalil and Keenan Allen are one deserving to make the Pro Bowl even despite the team struggles and you know, shifting years here to talk about the offense a little bit. You've had some time to think about it. Of course, you guys are listening to this on Wednesday, so you've had some more time to think about it. But the offense, I think, you know, deserves discussing again kind of what happened on Sunday night. For whatever reason, this team just cannot seem to have both sides of the football complement each other. So, now that you've had some time to think about it, Tyler, what's kind of your your big takeaway from the offensive struggles and how they've you know, performed against these you know, elite teams and specifically the elite pass rushers who have given them them a lot of trouble.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's just it. This This Chargers offensive line continues to be I think at this point the biggest disappointment this season, and it's either way you look at it. In terms of blocking in the run game, the run game has not been great. You look at rushing by direction for the Chargers in this game and it's you know, six yards to the left and three yards behind the guard and nine yards off of tackle. There's nothing there. There's nothing really to work off of in that regard. And then of course the pass protection issues show up again. You know, we can't just have this Charger's offensive line fold every time there's a good set of pass rushers across from them. There are too many good rushers in the league, and now defensive tackle there's an explosion of great defensive tackles who can rush the passer. The Chargers just cannot continue to fold against these teams because there's just good rushers across from them. There's a lot of talent on this offensive line and they've underperformed so much. And Daniel Popper pointed out Justin Herbert in two minute drills this year has taken seven sacks or and grounding penalties in two minute drills this year, which leads the league. And it's obvious in these passing situations that teams are finding ways to scheme a guy free, or to confuse the Chargers or show something and then drop back their defensive tackle like the Ravens did or whoever that was, and it hasn't been great. It's been disastrous results for the Chargers in situations. That was evidence even when the offense was really good in Week one, and it's evidence in this past game against the Ravens. And ar Argin pointed out that the Chargers are one of the worst teams in expected passing situations too, so that would be like a two minute drill of half situation that sort of thing, or when they're behind like they have to pass, and when they're expected to be passing, the offensive line is worse. They allow pressure at an average of less than two point four seconds, so it's about two point three nine seconds at a rate of about forty five percent. So in obvious passing situations, when this team needs to throw and they're expected to be passing, the pressures are arriving forty five percent of the time in about two point three nine seconds. That is really bad. That is tremendously bad and poor for offensive line that should be so much better. One thing I do want to point out that I missed initially, Duke Manyweather, who works with all three of the Chargers tackles, discussed how the whole offensive line has taken a step back and that it's been disappointing. One thing that he did point out that I did not know is that he said that Slater was playing with a double high ankle sprain for about eight weeks this season. And we've heard about we've heard about the knee and the ankle and the shoulder which he's been dealing with. But I did not realize that it was a hit what Duke Mannyweather said. His words, not mine, a double high ankle sprain for eight weeks this season, which is basically what we've been watching, which is tremendous. Then that he's been as good overall given the bevy of injuries that he's dealt with, but this offensive line, it's been disappointing, extremely disappointing. And I understand that Corey Linsley is out, but in the general sense of one on ones, they're not winning either. And frankly, it cost the Chargers and it has cost the Chargers at this point almost as much as the defense has cost the team as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's not just like the one on one situations. For me, like the protection plan, that was something that I felt like, Kellen Moore and Doug Messmeyer we're going to bring as a strength to this team. You know, I felt like watching you know, over the summer, watching the Cowboys offense across various seasons, I felt like that was something that Kellen Moore really was able to do at a high level.
Speaker 1: And you know a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Point out like, oh, like the always offensive line has always been very good. You know, last season they were flip flopping Tyler Smith between left guard and left tackle, like the entire season. Tyler Bid has miss missed several games, Connor Williams missed several games. Who was playing guard for them? You know, It's not like the Cowboys always had perfect health along the offensive line. I mean, Tyron Smith arguably the best offensive tackle of this generation has had injury concerns for like the last four or five seasons, and I was always so impressed with how the plan would always come together. And a lot of that, of course is you know, Ezekiel Allia des Theer's a lot of credit there too, as one of the best pass protecting block backs in the league. But I was always so impressed with all of that, and the operation of things has been a struggle for this team. So it's it's a really poor combination when you have some injuries obviously to to Corey Lindsay and to Rashaun Slater, and then you have some individual regression, plus the plan is also bad. And it's something that I kept on hoping would improve, and I kept on hoping that they would figure out a way for this to work more effectively. But we're headed into week thirteen and this team can't even get off two minute drills Like it's it's an issue that like Justin Herbert is going to deserve going to get a lot of national blame for. But it's happening in every single game. So this is like a collective problem for the whole unit. And Joe Reedy pointed this out you know, Justin Herbert across his first three seasons had ten game winning drives, which which ranked very highly in the league. This year he has zero because he's he's not even getting the chance to because he's getting sacked and like you mentioned, in two point two four seconds or whatever, it is every single chance that he has to go, you know, on third and fourth down. So it's a big time issue. And you know, we got a question. You know, the Chargers, of course are ower to five in games of three points or less in how did the Charges change that? Well, pass protection and protecting Justin he is a huge reason why that result is own five and not two and three or three and two or something like that. And so it's just been, like you mentioned, one of the biggest disappointments is how much Justin Herbert has been hit the season from a unit that I had such high expectations for, and a lot of people had high expectations for. This isn't just you know, on this show, we were really big fans of this unit. You know, a lot of fans were very positive about it. Brandon Thorn had them as a potential top ten unit heading into the season, so did PFF so there were certainly high expectations for this protection unit and it is not panned out that way, and I think that's a big reason why the charges are four and seven right now.
Speaker 3: What would you recommend in terms of maybe the way that they use the tight ends in these past blocking situations or lack thereof in these situations. I was looking at last year to this year and just to see if there was any difference. And while Trey mc kitty did have a lot of those reps, and of course he's not on the team right now, the Chargers have dropped in terms of tight end blocking reps in passing game. They've dropped from eight point four to one reps per game to six point four five, which isn't a lot, but that is a difference of two. They are clearly taking these guys off the field a little bit more in pass blocking situations, and they're trying to go with more wide receivers or get a tight end out there. What would you suggest in terms of or if they can at all given the personnel that they have, in terms of the way they use their tight ends in these situations, especially the end of game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, having Donald parm and Gard evert out there in key situations.
Speaker 1: I think what would help a lot.
Speaker 2: It's tough because a lot of teams prefer to live in eleven personnel or even four receiver sets, and and you know, at end of game situations you always see justin hold up like the one to one.
Speaker 1: You know, he's always in eleven personnel.
Speaker 2: But I think you can treat Gerald ever like a receiver in those instances and be a little bit more creative from a pass production standpoint. I think also, you know, one of the things that the Kyle Shanahan guys all do is when if they feel a pressure, like instead of trying to, you know, a for it, they will just outright say, everybody slide left, everybody slide right, and then our back goes the opposite way, or our tight end goes the opposite way, and it just makes things a little bit easier when you have an outright slide call as opposed to try and figuring out who is coming from where. And that could be a way that this regime can maybe simplify some things and maybe give the offensive line some easier answers. But that's really what it's about, is you have to find a way to make things easier for your offensive line. This is the youngest offensive line in the league. You know, they're clearly struggling to pick up certain things and key instances. But like we said, they also have to do a better job in one on one situation. So you know, it's probably not something that gets fixed this year unfortunately. You know, justin Herbert mentioned after the game, like he can be better picking up some things. But you know, this is a stylistic change that I think probably happens more in the off season unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and hopefully they get at least better in early down situations in terms of running the ball, so at least they're in a third and four. I mean, everything just compounds on top of each other. You know, the defenses maybe not been so great, so you have to try to catch up more, so you have to pass more, but you can't run early on so here in these third and long situations. You know, the one on Herbert was I think third and six and that final fourth down play. But still, like the charge need to be better across the board, and this offensive line, the whole blocking unit in general, it's tough to say they need to be revamped because we looked at the beginning of the season at this unit as one that was under contract for several years. I mean, at minimum it was two more years with everybody across the board, and now you have three and a half question marks I think along the offensive line, which is something I just did not expect heading into the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we'll have some more offensive line conversation here in a bit, and a lot of offensive line questions from you guys, which we appreciate. I always appreciate the attention along the offensive line is needed for sure. All right, before we get to some of these questions, we'll take a quick break and then we will come back and dive in. Hey guys, VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment capital of the world. Ticket packages both an array of offering such as premium seeding to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL on location dot com or search NFL on location today your football experience of a lifetime. Awaits only with on location. All right, Tyler, we got a lot of great questions, like I mentioned, offensive line related, off season related, you know, some other things in here as well, But I want to kind of revisit this conversation about Khalil Mack and like where he stands from an off season perspective. We just talked about how awesome he has been this season, and in Falton as well as Nathaniel Erdman wanted to get a question in about Khalil Max's future for this team, and Brandon specifically wanted to know about an extension for Khalil Mack. He obviously is a free agent after the twenty twenty four season. That's when the contract he signed with the Chicago Bears comes up. A lot of people maybe pegged him as a cut candidate in the previous offseason, maybe pegged him as a cut candidate in the future offseason. But in terms of an extension, Tyler, what do you think his chances are of getting extended and.
Speaker 1: What do you think that would maybe do for his status on the team.
Speaker 3: Very high there. I did believe that Khalil was behind Joey Bosa in terms of likelihood to return next season, given that for a lot of these guys with the big four, right, the two receivers and the two edge rushers, they had to make cuts like there are going to because his team is going to look different. But Khalil Mack has just been a model of consistency and he's been healthy and he's been even better. And I don't it's risky, right, You don't want to be a year too late. You try to be a year early before some of these guys hit the cliff. But like I talked about Klimax on pace for twenty one and a half sacks, if he gets let's say he just gets eighteen, I don't know how you don't extend him at that point. I don't know how you don't try to keep him around longer. Hopefully he can work for the next two years beyond, but you have to extend him, and frankly, the Chargers, given their cap situation, need to make that move. We can have basically the same discussion about Keenan Allen as well, who deserves his own extension. And I think would still of the four be the priority to be extended given his relationship with Justin Herbert. But you know that kalim Maak is your edge rusher next year. You know that this is a player who has played I think eight hundred and sixties snaps last year. He's on pace for another nine hundred and fifty this year. He's been healthy, he looks good, he plays the run well, he plays the pass well. Leader of your team. You're getting what you're paying for at this point. The next season, it's going to be expensive, but that's why you would extend him. The Chargers can make a lot of cuts and I think it gets them to nineteen million at best in terms of cap space, which the endig to talk about emergency situations and the draft classes, et cetera. So that's not much. So the next thing you can do is to start extending some of these players. There is risk, of course, given the age, but you look at a guy who's played, he's going to end up playing about eighteen hundred nineteen hundred snaps the last two years and might be voted to the Pro Bowl this year. Yeah, you got to keep him around. And I think that him and Tully is your duo, your duo that you believe in next season and moving forward. Joey will have to wait to see what happens with this injury.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: With regards to the Big Four, so to speak, I think unfortunately some of these decisions have been made because of the injuries. Like I think, yeah, you know, Mike Williams and his ACL and Joey and his his toe injury, his hamstring injury, his foot injury this season have unfortunately made that decision for this organization. And also the play of klu Mac and Keenan Allen has made the decision for them as well. Like you mentioned, you know, you're talking about two Pro bowlers, You're talking about two guys who are having career seasons, and so I do think there is absolutely a very strong argument to extend Khalio Mack in the off season, and I think it makes a lot of sense for where this team is at. I think it makes a lot of sense to have that stability at the edge rusher position and not have to head into next offseason and say, hey, man, like, we've probably got to draft another EDG rusher in the top three rounds because Cleo's a free agent after the season, because Tuley is the only other guy.
Speaker 1: Well, that just gives.
Speaker 2: Them a lot more flexibility So from a cap perspective, you know, according to over the cap, if you do extend and Kali Mack in the off season, you could you can work up to seventeen million dollars in cap space off of that extension. So some of that is not always you know, cut and dry when it comes to the contract. It depends a lot really on how you're able to work the player, the signing bonuses and things like that. I'm sure we could ask Gardon in the off season and specifically you know what that would look like. But from an extension standpoint, I think you can look at a guy like Cam Jordan. You know, the the edge rusher market has really exploded. Obviously, Nick Bosa took a grenade to that market, making thirty four million dollars per year. Now, I don't think Khalil Mack will cost the top of the market. But if you look at a guy like Cameron Jordan, who's in a similar kind of tier of pass rusher, you know, being one of the best of the business ses Cam Jordan is thirty four right now, and Cam Jordan's current contract is paying him thirteen and a half million dollars per year. So I think that an extension for Khalil. Mack is not going to break the bank because he is an older player and there is some kind of comparable things out there in terms of the contract I think von Miller is in his contract with the Bills is probably the ceiling which you know, Vaughn was coming off of, off of the Super Bowl run and things like that, which which really inflated his market. So I do think there's a very strong argument for Khalil and for Keenan to get these extensions done in the off season. And I don't think either one really breaks the bank because of their age and because ideally you're convincing them to you know, you know, stick around and provide that stability for this franchise as they move into a new era.
Speaker 3: Potentially, Yeah, he deserves to stick around. I believe in Tully Tupelow too.
Speaker 1: I really do. We all do.
Speaker 3: We've talked about him forty seven thousand times on this channel. I don't know if I'm ready to just get rid of the entire Edge group and let him be the Edge one. I think that's just a bit much right now.
Speaker 1: Could he do it?
Speaker 3: Sure all expectations are off, he can totally do it, it'll be all the ripe page of twenty two next season. Eventually young and one of the great ones on the way. But yeah, I think the Khalil Mack stability and what he provides, especially what he can do against the run, keep him around.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I think he deserves to be there. If you talk about the three best players for the Chargers of this season, I think one is Keenan, two is Khalil Mack. At this point, I think both those guys deserve the right to be called the first and second best players and consistent players on the team this year, and both those guys deserved the extensions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, completely agree.
Speaker 2: There as an extended question from this particular topic. Let me sure I get this one right. Philip wanted to know about soft rebuilds, that's kind of what the or competitive rebuild that some people have been coined in other instances. He wanted to know if there were any specific examples of who's pulled one off successfully before and what kind of the blueprint for this Charger team, obviously in a dire need of some cap space and potentially resetting from a financial standpoint, I think the first instance that you can look at is the Minnesota Vikings this year and what they've been able to do coming off of a division championship last season and they won eleven or actually I think it was thirteen games or whatever it was, and what they were able to do in the offseason, you know, offloading contracts like Eric Kendrix and some of those other decisions that they made, you know, reducing Did Hunter's contract, reducing Harrison Smith's contract. And I think that's kind of the blueprint that you're potentially looking for in a successful competitive rebuild. If you look at the opposite end, I think you're looking at a team like the Tennessee Titans, who figured trading AJ Brown would kind of launch them into that next new era, and it unfortunately has.
Speaker 1: Not gone so well for the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 2: You know, Mike Rable kind of is very stuck on being competitive and they're kind of in that no man's land. So doing a competitive rebuild is a dicey task for any general manager. But I will say the blooprin obviously starts with having a franchise quarterback.
Speaker 1: That's the key thing.
Speaker 2: And it's much easier when you have a guy like Justin Herbert to kind of have a soft reset as opposed to trying to do it with a guy like Ryan Tannehill, and then you're drafting Leakue Willis.
Speaker 1: And all this other stuff that has to go right for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree there, And I was looking at specific situations like that where and it seems like the quarterback was in.
Speaker 1: Place how long?
Speaker 3: How long did they know this quarterback was going to be in place for dependence? They didn't really know for sure at the time. But one is the post Wentz Eagles with Jalen Hurtz, who didn't play a whole lot his rookie season, but they figured, okay, he could be the guy they were able to. Now the first year of the rebuild, I think they had four wins, which wasn't great. So of course you want the Chargers to have more than four wins. But I also think that Herbert is significantly further along than Hurts at that time what the Eagles did and have done so well. Or two things. One, manipulate the draft board. We see this all the time. Hollie Roseman, I'll go up three, I'll go back six, I'll go back ten, I'll take your receiver. I'll do whatever. But there's always smart ways that they acquire either a couple of picks or one significant pick and find ways to move around the board and just get exactly what they need while also accumulating picks. It's strange that the Eagles can pick the best players but not have to really move up or sacrifice anything for them. It's it's a wizardry thing that is rare in the NFL these days. But what they also do is they do a very good job of bilo and it's easier said than done, of course, but they can look at a Hassan Reddick, who we were dying to have on the team and go, okay, three years, forty five million dollars, and that's a fricking steal given what he's been able to do in Philadelphia. You talked about like even they just trading for Kevin Byer recently. You talked about the Titans that cost nothing. You know, you go for Bradbury at corner that's seven million dollars. You go get Kayjerre White for three million dollars. They do take some swings, and they do give pay their guys quite a bit, but they also find ways to really just keep adding with these by lows, so accumulating picks buying low. That's kind of the way it's going to have to be for the Chargers. And if you really want to get a lot of picks, go ahead and look at the Rams. Who are you know, they obviously won the Super Bowl, they went all in and then now they're retooling and they just destroyed the Cardinals. That the Cardinals are a great team, but they destroyed them. And they picked fourteen rookies in the draft this past season without our first round pick. You know, they found their own different way to maneuver and get guys that are contributing. Obviously we talk about you know, everyone knows Pooka Nakua at this point, but they picked a Villa. They pick Byron Young, the pick Kobe Turner, they picked Nickcampton, War mcclenn and Davis Allen, Nikua, Trey Tomlinson, Zach Evans, like all these guys, they just found a way to maybe not all of them hit. No. No drafts is one hundred percent perfect.
Speaker 1: But if you go.
Speaker 3: Fourteen at bats and you hit six of them and those are your six starters, you are very you know, significant rotating players. We're doing a great job there. So I think that either of those teams, you know, the Rams will see how competitive they become. But they're getting a lot out of their rookies and they are on heading in the right direction. And then the Eagles post went. So I would look at kind of those you know, Rams finding a way to be this f them picks team to let's have all them picks team, And it's just the adjustments there that have really paid.
Speaker 1: Off for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you're strapped with cash, you need those extra picks to have that kind of flexibility. And you know, we were in Las Vegas for that specific draft and we were staying with your aunt and uncle, and your uncle is a Vikings fan, and your uncle is all mad that that draft class because Queszy kept on trading back and trading back, and every time the Vikings had come up, it was like, oh, they're trade. But that's a great way to you know, recoup some draft value. You know, loading up on these draft picks is so important when you're strapped with cash because it just gives you that much more flexibility. So I think that's a great call there. All Right, we'll get to some of these offensive line questions. Nick Skipper, Ewing Fighter, Pilot, and Meerkat Manor all had a very specific offensive line question and kind of trying to dive into the root of the regression here. So we'll start with Nick Skipper. He wants to know if the offensive line issues have been caused from moving the guards around in the off season. Obviously, Zion Johnson played primarily on the left side in college. Last season with the Chargers, he was on the right side pairing with Trey Pipkins. Jamari Sawyer has primarily left side in college as well. He played left tackle for the Chargers last year, albeit he was training on both guard spots for the Chargers in last off season. So how much do you think that switch has contributed to Zion regressing the way he has and Jamari maybe not clicking into places as quickly as we would have helped as well.
Speaker 1: I think it has to.
Speaker 3: You can't help but add that to part of the reason that they are I've regressed at this point. And Duke Manyweather has been a big advocate for not switching guys around. One not switching the don't just switch guys from tackle to guard just because you feel like it. There has to be a legitimate reason. And two, don't move guys left right, left, right, left right. I mean, we saw Piney Seoul his rookie year and in the preseason they're like, Okay, we're going to take your right tackle, movie to left, and we'll movie the left and we'll go to right. And it was kind of a back and forth for him that didn't quite work so well for him initially. Then he got to be his generational self and got accustomed to everything and in a very good scheme, and then things obviously progressed for where now he is one of the best tackles in the league. But it took some time, and then back and forth does not help. So I think with Zion, I think with Jamari it does not help. I think Jamari is suffering the worst from it because he had the biggest change from left tackle out of nowhere after practicing guard all last year, to left tackle for the entire season to not to write guard, and unfortunately he's playing next to Trey Pipkins, who has not been great, and then will Clap for most of the season, which is not a knock on Will Clap. It's just not Cordy Linsley. We've all been talking about this. Corey Lindsley's not out there. These Guards are going to be worse because of it. That was evident the moment anytime last year where Corey Linsley went out, things just changed for the Guards, it changed for Zion. It just was not the same. So yeah, I do think the flip flopping has not helped. You know, you learned so much and then having to switch sides is just a bit of a soft reset, if you will, to their start to the NFL. So it's almost like a rookie season one and a half for them right now, which is part of the struggles. I do expect more from them. It has been disappointing, but it does play a party.
Speaker 2: I'm not necessarily shocked that Jamaris has had a more of a struggle, you know, adapting to guard life, because you know, he was playing offensive tackle at Georgia. He was playing offensive tackle as a rookie and that's a tough switch in general. Then also, like you mentioned, you know, switching sides completely, So I'm not shocked. Like you mentioned, I did expect and I do expect better of him. The Zion thing has been definitely more frustrating for me. Obviously, anybody who listens to the show knows how we felt about him coming into that draft class and what he was able to do last season as a rookie.
Speaker 1: So I think it plays a part.
Speaker 2: I think expecting Zion to you know, kind of click back into place, switching back to his more natural side is a fair expectation. And I do think that there's some just technique things that have maybe changed this year. I don't know if that's a pure coaching issue orf that was something that was an off season thing for him, but you know, his technique is failing him more so than it did last year. Last year was a lot of just kind of like stunts and games and things like that. So I think that's that's the thing more with Zion is is I think we've maybe got to get back to the drawing board from a technique standpoint and get him back to that consistency, you know, feeling that he had obviously in college and during his rookie season. I think also, you know, people have to remember he's only played football for like six years. This isn't a guy who grew up playing football.
Speaker 1: He grew up playing golf.
Speaker 2: You know, went to Davidson College to play golf, so definitely deserves criticism. I think both of them deserve criticism that I'm not here trying to say that they are blameless, but I think the context of it is important to talk about because these are guys that ideally are able to get back to form, get back to expectations next year. Right now, we have some question marks about them in terms of their long term status next year. Like you, you want them to be able to find that confidence again and be able to prove that they can be building block players that we thought they could be heading into this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're going to be your starters next year. I would assume Zion is definitely going to be Jamori. I don't see why you wouldn't. But I think they'll be a competition with McFadden next year and potentially some their interier offensive lineman. But I think those are your two guys that your quote unquote stuck with and I feel good about that. But they need to be better than they have been, for sure. One player. Just switching to another question here, because we are talking about expectations for players, and I think everyone knows kind of where I'm going with this one question from Ryan, how can the Chargers change cues or Quentin Johnston's role to get more out of him, because it's been it's been tough sledding, and before tonight's game, I don't think anything changes. Addison's already ahead of him. We're recording on Monday. But there are nineteen receivers and tight ends that have more receiving yards rookies that I'm more receiving yards than Quentin Johnson does through eleven games so far. And you know, to me, that's not even necessarily just a should have taken Zay, should have taken Addison situation, that's a could we have found anybody else at any other point? I mean, the guys that are first and second in yards are not say Flowers and Jordan Adison. Again, Addison, we'll see after tonight. But it's tanked ol, it's pukuin Akua and these guys, and you look at Michael Wilson, Jaden Reed, Don Tavian Wicks, all these guys are involved, and the one person that cannot get involved consistently is Quentin Johnston. The X rays came back negative on his ribs, so thankfully he avoided something worse there, but he didn't play basically in the second half of the last third or so of that game. But he also wasn't involved at all to begin with. It's been to me this kind of trio failure, if you will, of evaluation, because I'm not sure anymore what they saw from him in terms of how his specific workload, skill set, what he could do would translate to the NFL. But then I think we have a failure of course of the scheme so far and what this person is the questioner is asking about, how can we get him more involved, and so far that has not been the case. And then, of course Quentin Johnson owes plenty of the blame himself. You know, you can prescribe certain amount of percentages to all three of those guys in different ways, but it has led to a very very disappointing rookie season. And if you listen to you know, Reception Perception and Matt Harmon talk about these guys and these receivers, Quentin Johnson's score and his routes that he runs is like second worst that they've ever had on their website, and it is around names like Jalen Reagor and his rookie season, which is sort of ironic, if you will. So, I don't know, man, it's been frustrating, But what do you I guess, how do you see more touches for Quent Johnson? How do you get more out of him?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think that's a fair thing.
Speaker 2: And again we talked a little bit about this on our show, Like, I think you can be real about what Quentin's struggles have been and also try to figure out how to get the most out of him because he's on the team, Like anybody who's a fan of the team should root for him to figure it out and root for the team to figure it out because you know, you invested a first round draft pick in him. I think objectively, like you look at what was working for him, you know, in particular against the Bears and against the Jets and against the Lions. I think one of the things there is his reps from the slot.
Speaker 1: You know, in those.
Speaker 2: Games it's not a ton, but he was basically getting about six reps from the slot a game, which is around twenty percent of his routes. You look at the Green Bay game and he ran one rep from the slot, and this past week against the Ravens, he had zero, and it's just the way that you're able to manufacture touches for him. And I was hoping that the Bears game was going to be kind of a launching point, so to speak, of the rest of his season. And the key thing there was all of the crossers that he was running. You know, he had two, he had a little drag, had a little short crosser, and he was able to get yards after the catch. And and that's the kind of role that you need to let him just really really do well with, is find something that he can and has the confidence to execute, and if that's short area yards after the catch, great because you just you're able to build up the confidence and then go from there into other areas. Right now, they're using him as a strict almost strictly as a X receiver to stretch the field, which is Mike Williams's role.
Speaker 1: He's not Mike Williams.
Speaker 2: Everybody who watched him knew that coming into the season, and so it's just been frustrating to know what we all watched from Quentin Johnston watched in the in training camp, and then they're not using him in any of those ways to get him going, and and yes, obviously I wish that he could just you know, you come into his role and he and he's great and everything's perfect, but you have to be able to execute touches for him. And I think that that's the biggest My biggest complaint right now is you've found a way that worked for him to get the ball, You've found a way for him to get confidence going, and then you completely abandon that three weeks later and you go back to what was not working previously. So again, you can definitely recognize that contin has had some struggles, but you also, I think, need to recognize that the Chargers offense has not done a good enough job getting him involved and being able to take advantage of his skill set as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he shares plenty of responsibility for the struggles so far. He has to make the catches, he has to separate. The separation versus man has not been great. It's not been great versus his own Plenty of blame there, for sure. Some of it's easier to see than others in very key situations like against the Packers, some not as much. But the Chargers, they clearly have a player in my opinion who doesn't seem like his confidence is quite there, his feet underneath him in the NFL, and it just feels like it would be better to reassess and reevaluate and just give him the floor, give him something to work with to stand on that he is comfortable with, and then if you want to develop him into Mike Williams, which he was not at all coming out of college. And we said it a million times, fine, but it has to start with the floor and the foundation of understanding who Quenton Johnson is and what he's good at. You know, it's a terrible comparison, but we can't ask, you know, Wandale Robinson to go be your jump ball X receiver guy for the Giants or whatever. Like I'm not saying these are the two of the same players, but that's you cannot force, you know, the square pregate of the ron hole situation. You got to get him going with what he's comfortable with and then build from there. They're they're trying to, it seems, force him into a role or make him someone that he is just not. Can he develop into that? Sure, keep going, spend years working on that, honing your craft, et cetera. But give him the floor to feel confident and feel successful to do rather than just because it really looks very defeating. He looks very defeated out there in situations. I'm sure he feels awful about some of the issues and what's been said publicly, you know, his role, not being able to get out there in the fourth quarter against the Ravens in a do or die sort of game. So I hope they find something for him, because they at least need to find a role for him. Otherwise we're looking at a whole different draft next year where we are making very difficult conversations about wide receiver.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the way that you put that.
Speaker 2: I think the Chargers mission for Quentin Johnson over the next the final six weeks of the season is two races floor, established some kind of confidence setting into next season, establish some kind of pattern for his usage that he can spend the rest of the offseason, you know, building off of as opposed to trying to rebuild everything. Like I think you want to have this these final six games be a sort of you know, springboard into a strong sophomore season. Ideally obviously for Quentin Johnson, I think that's on the coaching staff You've got to be able to figure out ways to manufacture touches for him like you, Like all due respect to Alex Erickson, you can't be feeding Alex Erickson touches in favor of Quentin Johnson like you need to feed Quentin Johnson touches. I'm not asking to target him ten times a game, but there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to manufacture three or four touches every single game for him. And honestly, the same probably goes for Darius Davis. Like you, you are really struggling in the talent department. I think both of those guys should be able to contribute more than they have been, and I think both of them have shown the ability to do that. I mean, I feel like it's been a month since we saw a Darius Davis screen, Like it's just been a little frustrating when you have some offensive struggles that hey, like, let's give let's get some easy ones going here with our guys who can create after the catch. And that also goes for Gerald ever, so I'm just going to lean into those same kind of conversations. I think, in general, Mikes, things easier for you as an offense, so we are definitely a little over our plan time today, so we appreciate all the questions. There were some other ones here that we wanted to get to. Taylor Marquez had a great question, Andre Castillo had a great question. There was Dayan Henley's season in the chat, as well as Steven Gillard who had a great question that we wanted to get to.
Speaker 1: So we apologize.
Speaker 2: We'll be sure to interact with you guys and get those answers out there, but we do appreciate all the great questions here that we propose to tonight.
Speaker 1: So Tyler, any final thoughts before we head out for the evening.
Speaker 3: I'm onto New England.
Speaker 1: On to New England.
Speaker 2: So hopefully you guys are enjoying the show. We are obviously very appreciative of the support. Make sure like the video, subscribe, comment all that good stuff, Tell a friend, and we'll be covering this team regardless.
Speaker 1: Of what happens. You know, come what may, as they say, so.
Speaker 2: Really appreciate everybody, Appreciate Greg Kim for producing the show, as always, appreciate all you guys for tuning in.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next time, and as always, hold up