Speaker 1: Henry Kissinger, the child refugee who rose to become US Secretary of State, has died at the age of one hundred. He was one of America's most distinguished diplomats. Kissinger passed away at his home in Connecticut, according to his statement from Kissinger associates. We get more on the life of Henry Kissinger from Bloomberg's Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: Henry Albert Kissinger was born in nineteen twenty three in the German state of Bavaria, the oldest son of a Jewish school teacher, Kissinger was known as Heintz until he moved with his family to the United States in nineteen thirty eight to escape Nazi persecution. At the age of nineteen, while excelling at City College of New York, Kissinger was drafted in the Army. He served as an interpreter in the country of his birth during World War II, and after the war he helped to round up Gestapo officers as a member of the nine hundred seventieth Counterintelligence Corps. In an interview with Bloomberg's editor in chief John Mickelthwade, Kissinger said he saw the first hand impact of authoritarianism and totalitarianism in his youth.
Speaker 3: It was an experience which it's so elemental then it becomes part of you.
Speaker 2: Kissinger brought that experience back with him to the United States. He resumed his studies at Harvard University. His doctoral dissertation there focused on balances of power in nineteenth century Europe. As a tenured professor at Harvard, Kissinger honed of the conservative real politic worldview that would dominate his thinking on foreign policy for more than a half century. Kissinger also cultivated relationships with policymakers in Washington that led him to the White House in nineteen sixty nine as National Security Advisor to President Richard Nixon. Kissinger's secret trips to China in nineteen seventy one paved the way for arguably the greatest foreign policy achievement of the Nixon presidency. His own visit the following year.
Speaker 4: Knowing of President Nixon's express desire to visit the People's Republic of China, Premier jo and lae On, behalf of the government of the People's Republic of China, has extended an invitation to President Nexon to visit China.
Speaker 2: The opening of China and an anti ballistic missile treaty hammered out with the Soviet Union achieved what would become known as Kissinger's triangular diplomacy, but his penchate for secrecy would lead to controversy. Kissinger was the first person to serve as both National Security Advisor and Secretary of State at the same time. That allowed Nixon to run foreign policy more or less directly from the White House. The president summed up his attitude in a taped conversation with Kissinger about the Christmas Day bombing in Vietnam in nineteen seventy two. Kissinger fed into that paranoia about enemies in the press by ordering wiretaps of reporters and White House aids looking for leaks. That expanded use of surveillance led to Nixon's resignation under the weight of Watergate, but the weight of one major foreign policy decision would cloud Kissinger's legacy for the rest of his long life. The Secret War in Cambodia. Kissinger orchestrated the operation that dropped more than one hundred thousand tons of bombs on North Vietnamese positions in the country. It helped lead to the rise of a genocidal Khmer Rouge regime after the war, but Kissinger would never stop defending his conduct in Vietnam, even against critics who labeled him a war criminal.
Speaker 3: Would say a better way At any one point, we didn't think so. I still don't think so, but I'm open to that argument. But what is meant by better?
Speaker 2: That pragmatic approach to the world as it is, rather than how policymakers might like it to be would inform Kissinger's view long after he left public office and sought to wield influence as a private citizen. At the age of eighty eight, Kissinger wrote the book on China, about the country he helped to bring back to the world stage. In a twenty twenty interview at the Bloomberg New Economy Forum, Kissinger warned of the risks of confrontation between the world's two biggest economies.
Speaker 3: Let's say it's some pass for some cooperative action de Willsbill fld HMDU A catastrophe comfortable du wil.
Speaker 2: Dulw Henry Kissinger worked to head off that catastrophe. After he reached his one hundredth birthday as President, Biden sent cabinet secretaries to Beijing in twenty twenty three to stabilize relations. The one US diplomat that Chinese President Shi Jinping would meet face to face was the man he called an old friend to China, former Secretary of State, Henry Kissinger. I'm Nathan Hager Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: We thank Bloomberg's Nathan Hager for that report. Kissinger sat down with Bloomberg editor in chief John Micklethwaite on June seventh in New York City. They discussed his life and career upon turning one hundred years old. The conversation ranged from his concerns that China could end up in a military conflict with the US over Taiwan all the way to the future of President Vladimir Putin after Russher invasion of Ukraine. He spoke about how his own worldview was shaped by what he experienced as a Jewish teenager he escaped Nazi Germany and what he saw in the concentration camps as an American soldier. Here's their conversation in its entirety.
Speaker 5: There are few living people who have had as great an impact on how the world stands today as Henry Kissinger. He has advised American presidents since the nineteen sixties, stood toe to toe with the likes of Chairman Mao Goldomeyir and Vladimir Putin changed the fortunes of countries in ways that are still admired, condemned, and debated. Seventy years ago, as a young man at Harvard, Kissinger wrote that in the life of every person, that comes a point when he realizes that, out of all the seemingly limitless possibilities of his youth, he has in fact become one actuality. One's journey across the meadows as indeed followed a regular path. Having just celebrated his one hundredth birthday, you might imagine Henry Kissinger's path is now set. In fact, he is plainly still involved in public life, still talking to leaders around the world. His legacy can be felt from Cuba to Caro. But we've broken this interview into three geographic parts. Europe where he was born, the United States, where he found power and fame, and Asia, which he transformed. And then we have a more personal epilogue to do with that legacy. Henry Kissinger was born in nineteen twenty three in the German town of Foth. Two years later, Adolf Hitler came to the town to denounce its Jewish citizens. I began by asking Henry Kissinger how his first fifteen years of persecution and chaos ended when his family escaped to America in nineteen thirty eight, has shaped his worldview.
Speaker 3: I spent my youth within a disintegrating society. The German society was collapsing into the Hitler period that gradually, in each election the Nati period party gained, and then when Hitler finally came to power, I, together with all my family and all the people I knew well, became part of a discriminated minority, living in a town in which there were science at every public place that Jews are not welcome here, and at the entrance to every town venue that did drain or car or anywhere. So there was my youth.
Speaker 5: Do you think that your view of the world of something that needed some degree of order if you look back.
Speaker 3: I believe that for a tutality, or for a group in which people lived, stability or to pre condition for creativity. Now that's not a sord I had then so precisely, but stability meant a great deal.
Speaker 5: The next time you came back to Germany was in the war. You came back as a soldier. You fought in the Battle of the Bulge, You saw the concentration camps, you helped, you took part in this of the rounding up of Nazis, all by the age of like twenty four to twenty five. That is a hinterland that very few people in modern politics have. If you look at the people you dealt with, the gal Mau, all those people that they had seen warfare well.
Speaker 3: I came back to Germany as a rifleman in the eighty fourth Infra Division of the US Army, and uh so I saw war in its most immediate form, under circumstances in which you have fellowship with your fellow soldiers, it's your hope of survival hm and everything depends on it. And I was lucky that my fellow soldiers of that period were from northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin. Uh It's called the rail Splitter Division after Lincoln R. And so that was the environment to then as the battle neared the German border. After the bat during the Battle of the Bolts, I was transferred to intelligence, which was still at the front, but not right in it. For two miles back at the in the civilian population. But so I saw the impact of authoritarianism and totalitarianism in my youth and of war in the next period. And so it was an experience which it's so elemental that it becomes part of you, because the child both see dangers but also the sense of unity of a community when when they believe in fundamental We know today that German tanks were probably better than our tent, but you could never convince American soldiers of it, because they were convinced that if better tanks could be built, we'd be building. And I've never forgotten that.
Speaker 5: For most of your life you were dealing with world leaders who had had somewhat similar experiences. You could argue, but they'd seen combat. But the last American president to be in that state was the first President Bush. You look around the leaders of the Western world. Now, they're all people, some of them closer to my age than yours, who've never seen those things. And I wonder whether you think that makes a difference to world politics. Do you worry about that with today's leaders.
Speaker 3: I think that leaders who have not had any experience of cadetrophy or at the edge of cadetrophe sometimes believe they have more obsdence than they really do, and they did characteristic of our It's fatterly in the its.
Speaker 5: Because the one exception and possibly is Jijinping because he went through the Cultural Revolution, didn't he so he would have had some experience of the terror that you would have seen.
Speaker 3: Well. For t a crucial experience was living in a cave with it. Further, after father Adami leader was purged by Mao, and in his conversations before he became prejided, he would refer to the fact that this experience made him strong.
Speaker 5: As you said, you grew up in this period of chaos and disintegration. You are seen to be somebody who wants to does not want Russia, if it loses the war in Ukraine, to be overly punished. Is that in part because you saw what happened to Germany. The Germany before the First World War was a very seemed, a very proud, successful country. The best university is the best, all these things, and then humiliation and disintegration follows. Do you worry about that with Russia?
Speaker 3: I worry about the fact that Russia has been an integral part of European history for six hundred years, and in a very special way because it is infinitely larger than any European country and it has always been part of Asia, the Middle East and Europe. That the unique aspect of Russia in comparison to the European countries. So it has been torn throughout its history between a desire to become fully European and the fear of European technical uh superiority or capacity. Europe will become more stable, the world will become more stable when Ratia accepts the fact that it cannot conquer Europe ah, but it has to remain part of Europe by some sort of consensus as other states do UH. But a do Mond Rasa is so crushed that it sees its being a factor of international politics in other regions and becomes a subject for European competition among the various states. So it is important for Ukraine to be preserved and for Ukraine to emerge from the war as a autonomous, strong, in democratic country. We have substantially achieved this objective h by now it can still be improved in terms of the borders of Ukraine in the what I hope will be the concluding phases of the war. But I would prefer to preserve Prussia because the dissolution of Russia or the reduction of rassure to resentful impotence. What said of a new set of tensions, do.
Speaker 5: You think Vladimir Putin is somebody who could live with?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 5: Said? You want a Russia that doesn't that realizes where its borders are.
Speaker 3: That's to remember two things about Vladimia Pudent. That he is, on one level the inheritor of traditional Russia and therefore has the tendencies towards as certain that I've described earlier. But there's also uh a Vladimirir Pudent who grew up in the seats of Leningrad in which a over half of the population died of starvation. Uh and under under constance read but he has translated that into never warning European military power to be in easy leads of f Saint Petersburg and made sor cities like Moscow. So when the border of Europe at the end of the war, which was the d military border of Europe, which was in the center of Europe, moved to within three hundred miles of Moscow, and maybe fifty miles of Saint Petersburg. He reacted very strongly, and as it turns out, at the edge of your rationality.
Speaker 5: You once said to me that Ladim v. Putin was more Dostoyevsky than Hitler. Do you still think of him in that way?
Speaker 3: Well, I think he's a Dostoyevsky type figure, be set by ambivalences and unfulfillable aspirations, but not devoted to power in the abstract U, but very capable of HU using UH power that it turned out he used it excessively in relationship UH to UH to Ukraine. I would like a Russia to RECOGNI that recognizes that its relations to but to Europe have to be based on agreement and the kind of consensus. And I believe that this war will if it ended properly, may make it achievable.
Speaker 5: If it's ended on the terms you're describing. Do you think Vladimir Putin can survive in power?
Speaker 3: It's improbable.
Speaker 5: On the other side of the fence. With the moment we have, the Ukrainian counter offensive seems to begun. Do you see that as the last offensive before you have to move to diplomacy and peace. Talks of some sort.
Speaker 3: Well. I began to urge moving to its diplomat a year ago when I urged that the various parties to the conflict as themselves how they want to end it, not that they would end it right at that point, but that they would know what their political aims were. I think that becomes increasingly important as time goes on. Let'st we wound up at a point where the war becomes its own objective, and were military operations and military relations between powered dominate all of this geopolitical thinking. And at that point, countries like China will have to become from their point of view, increasingly active. That would spread it into a world conflict.
Speaker 5: Do you think that that is actually the real danger, that the Dombas doesn't become Europe's frontier with Russia becomes sort of Europe's frontier with China, that Russia gets driven back into the arms of China.
Speaker 3: Well, it could happen because Ratia gets driven back, or because Rasia collapsed and disintegrates. It's a functioning major or tenament state, and therefore it was so in its current faith, which I support, I think we will correct and resistently attack on Ukraine.
Speaker 5: We talked about China and Russia. One power that could emerge much more powerfully from this particular episode is Germany. Germany is probably the country that's going to rebuild Ukraine. If it happens, it may be involved in rebuilding Russia. And within Europe. If you visit Spain, if you visit Italy, you can feel that the frontier of Europe has been dragged to the east, so the center of Europe is now closer to Berlin, so to speak, and that Germany, by the fact it's been involved in supplying more arms and everything like that, that it is it looks set to become a bigger power in Europe. Do you agree with that? Firstly and secondly do you think that Germany is ready for that task?
Speaker 3: I agree that the which is the description of the transformation of the gender of gravity in Europe. It's been inherent since before World War One and was one of the causes of World War One because of the refusal of other countries to accept this reality, but also because of the inability of Germany to understand the transformation of its own possism. Because the leading country has to be an example of moderation and wisdom in balancing the interests of all the countries if there are to be participants in the system. And historically h Germany wanted to exercise its potential by domination, and its tragedy has been after the retirement of Pittmarck, the failure to learn this lesson, which tracted into two training wards, which also the entire position of Europe in the world. So now it has is again in this position, and it has no leaders with an experience of either the Nazi period or of the war MM, so they have to construct the system by themselves, and they're new there in off, it's only a year or so, and it is not a reflection on their abilities, but a description of a new talent for them that hasn't existed in that form before.
Speaker 5: Do you think that also causes problems for the other great powers? You know, you you wrote a lot of history about containing you know, first containing France, then containing Germany, and now that now there is an issue. I mean, if you if you are France.
Speaker 3: Well, if Germany was in conflict with France since the Thirty Years' War in the seventeenth century, because French policy was explicitly based on maintaining the balance of power, within Central Europe, which in practice meant maintaining a division of Germany between MM competing states and friends. Partly to mid states. The Germany made and Britain came to look at Germany as a said to its sea power. So when the ball fell, the neither the British nor the French leader were enthusiastic about the unification of Germany. But the reality is that British private it's in the eighties and seventies when Germany was unified. It's the last major European country to be unified in eighteen seventy one. Set set this will have a greater impact than Diffrench Revolution. So we are at this moment now when a new structure of Europe has to be created HM based on this reality. And I'm describing the challenge here, not the UH. I'm not saying that the Germans have failed. It's new and it's a new challenge for this generation.
Speaker 5: Also a challenge for France and Britain. Very quickly, they've followed very different paths, especially since Sewers. You know, frances has very much defined itself, often in opposition to America, and it's buried itself in the European Union. The British, by contrast, have tended to stick with the Americans. And now they are outside the European Union. And you and I can argue about who's got things right over the past fifty years, but we are where we are, and I wonder you look at France and you look at Britain. Now, who is better placed to go forward? Britain outside the europe Union, France inside it.
Speaker 3: Psychologically Britain it is fedow placed because in the structure of the world that one can imagine appearing, whatever Europe does to its own conception it r RelA cooperation with America and pursuing parallel politics with America will have to be an essential component on it because by itself opposing all the other major power centers uh, Europe is in a difficult position to do that, and it may be impossible. So Britain historically is better placed uh uh to do it. Uh. Britain's problem is its connection, how to connect with Europe, not how to connect with the United States. It has the history of the special partnership and an instinctive fear in Britain. Th the danger comes from across the oceans and comes from across the border, while in Europe the instinctive ferience the danger comes from land invasions. So for Britain to link to Europe has turned out to be not possible organically, so it now has to be done by policy. And I think.
Speaker 5: That you actually think Britain would. I might disagree with you on this, but you think that Britain is sort of psychologically happier outside the European Union.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think it is, and I think it's also a great opportunity for it to act as a link between a unifying Europe and America.
Speaker 1: You're listening to a special conversation with distinguished diplomat and former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. We'll have more of that conversation next. Henry Kissinger has died at the age of one hundred. We're listening to a special conversation he had with Bloomberg editor in chief John Micklethwaite not too long ago. He discusses his life and career. Let's hear more of that conversation.
Speaker 3: Now, America has never been true to itself unless it meant something beyond itself.
Speaker 5: Henry Kissinger said those words about his adopted Homeland in nineteen seventy three. He first arrived in the United States in nineteen thirty eight as a fifteen year old refugee. I began the second part of our conversation about the United States by asking, if his life story was uniquely American, could he have achieved what he has done anywhere else?
Speaker 3: Absolutely uniquely American. I was at a dinner in Germany when the German chancellor of the Democratic Germany was prison and the American ambassador rather amazingly as the chancellor, what would have happened to me in Germany if I had survived due to this period? And he said, I would be a junior professor in Munich at Munich University.
Speaker 5: That brings us very nice. That brings us very nicely to the next phase of your life. You go to Harvard. I think at different times of your life you had taught about chemistry and being an accountant, which is a wonderful image. But one of your mentors, Fritz Kramer, had a phrase about you were you were musically tuned to history. You go to Harvard, and the other kind of great figure of your youth, Bill Elliott Oppressor at Harvard, directs you towards the philosophy of history rather than just history itself, and that's where you get all the cant or the spinosa. Is that a really important difference. You know, you've always been obsessed not as by history, but the ideas behind it.
Speaker 3: Later on in life, my views, in those of many of the academic community at Harvard can be teritibly described. It's not veral. But in that period of my life, which in a funny way was its second immigration into America, uh, the first from Germany and the second from the army. Mm Uh, I haven't played a very important role because it gave me uh confident or inspiration, it's a better word, into the direction I was sort of divided. I was doing extremely well in chemistry, mostly based on memory, and I went to see the head of the chemistry department. His name was Professor Kisyakovsky, became a very well known figure up and I asked him whether I should major in chemistry, and he said, if you have to ask me, no, and so this then, but I've I was on that other codes already inwardly, it gave me the confidence to do it. The philosophy. I was most interested at first in philosophy, in theory of knowledge, in theory of values.
Speaker 5: Mm.
Speaker 3: But history it's a way to combine the inherent uncertainties of philosophy. Inherent because so far no absolute answers have ever been found by any civilization. With the results of what actually happened, and the ads I progressed, I progress in development, I became very philosophical. History became my dominance then. And I think if one reads my books that seem run through all of.
Speaker 5: Them, where in your life is that the idea of the philosophy of history most most the ideas be most challenged by reality. You know, you've said that history is interesting because you get reality conflicting.
Speaker 3: Life is torn between managing the presence and the evolution of the presence, so that in individual lives and of course magnified into society's lives, there's always the ambiguity that emphasis on the presence leads to stagnation, and that therefore everything else around you will outstrip that society. And so how to strike that balance between ultimate values and what reality imposes on you?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: And reality is never quite adequate. But ultimate values are too absolute because they demand a degree of imposition on others. Ah, how to strike that balance is maybe it's maybe given to us. It's our insoluble problem to keep a motivation at the appropriate level.
Speaker 5: Isn't that quite interesting? Isn't that also the story of American foreign policy? You have this, You've always argued that there's a set of ideals that America wants to.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's best. The problem for America, Yeah, because we have been ex closed as it is possible to be, to be satisfied with where we are, and we've been protected by two great oceans because whenever the society in the almost every place else, every place else was tempted to be excessively satisfied with itself, its neighbors intruded on them. It was very difficult to do that in America because of these oceans. But after World War two and now increasingly so uh, and now it's artificial intelligence totally. So we are part of an international global system, and it goes beyond internationally, it goes beyond its universal system. And we have simultaneously to adjust to that and conducted day to day policy with countries that have the same situation and with other countries that grow up to our level of achievement. That never existed before in history.
Speaker 5: You've always said America should balance a sort of shining city on a hill, complex with reality. And you look at the last you look at the last Cold War, and America won it by kind of singing a song of liberty of those ideals, but also by doing really basic things helping people, the Marshall Plan and things like that. If you go to America's allies, they will say America doesn't talk about those ideals any longer. It just talks about America first. And in terms of trade deals and things like that, America isn't you know, it's not even doing trade deals with its allies in either Asia or Europe. So that America, in a strange way, is more disconnected from what it should be than it has been.
Speaker 3: Well, actually, in fact, America it's not more disconnected. It's probably more connected than it's been. In word, it's considered the great period of American history, except that during the Marshall Plan at the end of World War two, oh, this was new, so it was in a new experience, and it would therefore it became very significant in day to day thinking of policy makers. Now policy makers are torn between and at that time we had over fifty percent of the world's gross national product. Now we are down to about twenty four percent, which is still a huge percentage, and it's still extremely influential percentage, but it requires us to be more discriminating. So it looks as if we are entrenching the problem that bothers me. It's not right basically, the entrenching, but the we have not yet found a concept that unified Americans, and so now the advocacy of the realization that we need a new idea for world order, it's dunk to a much smaller group that existed at the end of World War Two. Our talents is conceptual more than practical.
Speaker 5: When you came to power, America had had a long period where it had been able to lecture the world. America was going through great difficulties then, you know, it was going through things at the gas price. You had all these things going wrong, and America didn't. You had to scramble, You had to try and find allies. You had to try and make things work. You've had another period, you know, from the Berlin Wall onwards, where where America seemed very strong. Now again it's it's stuck having to make allies having to find balances. Is there a comparison there at all?
Speaker 3: We now are living in an in in a world of uh unprecedented complexity. Uh the need for allies exists. But what allies are supposed to do in given circumstances? And now the alliances are supposed to operate when every issue has a global component but not not every issue has a comparable interest for every country, so that countries, they all have a global interest in global h stability, but they don't have the same interest in the immediate situation. Secondly, there head now when I was given the opportunity to participate in policy making, that was essentially the seventies and and early eighties, all these issues were discussing, were beginning in they were in their infancy and uh so that their very existence was in dispute. And one of the contributions of Nixon was that he was willing to face these new uh, these n new realities. But now they're upon us. Uh and in that sense, it's an evolution of the problems as huge us in New ques.
Speaker 5: Do you think now America is a worse ally? I mean, if you go to if I go to Paris, or I go to Chakato. They will say all we hear from America is we hear America first, and we hear we don't want to do trade deals. We don't want to do things with you. There is no there is no sense of reaching out. And they would probably say that Joe Biden is a little bit more polite than they're more helpful.
Speaker 3: They'd invade with in America had shifted to the extens So the difference between say, liberal Republicans and Democrats in its evident ages was about the degree of a participation in which they both say it. In the present period did invade they had shifty two. It seems in which days an extreme theory of America First, which is applied on both sides, but in such a way that it that it focuses too much on American interests and not on global interests. That is a challenged, but anyone who wants to conduct a series American foreign policy must balance it two or America will become isolated.
Speaker 5: Do you think the current administration is isk is doing a serious job at that.
Speaker 3: I think the current administration is trying to do a serious job of that, but it is so afraid of attacks on itself, that it doesn't do itself justice.
Speaker 5: You were a Rockefeller Republican. Nowadays there are no Rockefeller Republicans. There's there's there's Democrats on one extreme, there's Republicans on the other. The center of American politics. The fact it's disappeared, do you think that that has dramatic foreign policy locations?
Speaker 3: I think that sender still exists, but it doesn't have fully it doesn't. I have an articulate expression here, would you.
Speaker 5: Ever like to see an independent party in America?
Speaker 3: Well, independent bodies in America. I have not had a good faith, but I do well think it is important to maintained an argument for the philosophy that I have maintained. Not because I have maintained it, but because it reflects the necessity of a period. And that becomes magnified if you consider that we are now in the field of artificial intelligence, at the very beginning of a colossal transformation of human consciousness, which will have to be built into this foreign policy.
Speaker 5: But we have a paradox, don't we. You have these issues, you have artificial intelligence, you have climate change, you have maybe the global economy where interconnectedness is incredibly important. But America, that.
Speaker 3: Is in the current world. But the essence of what I'm concerned about, it's that we have opened the door to a dialogue with objects and with machines. That that when when the printing press was invented, it transformed to human consciousness and said, of what we call now the Enlightenment, which has been going on for five hundred years. Now we are a these machines. What is the esence of these machines? We ask a question of these machines. These machines are then capable of encumbaging all the knowledge that we have taught them, but that we cannot contain in one brain nor one machine. Look at it, give us an answer, and we act on the basis of that. That is a new reality that has that will be studied for decades like the old new reality was when the printing credits permitted exchanging information easily.
Speaker 5: But the pretty printing press was at the time of nation states or nation states were coming to the fore where you had an immediate need to interact with other ones. It was part of what appeared AI is coming part in it as you described in America, which is not is not doesn't have more.
Speaker 3: But I think America will be driven by reality in studying what i've and so below all other countries. It's not an American thing, but it's become a high tech thing. So therefore it will be a dialogue between Therefore, the dialogue between America and China will become more important, or even more crucial. But it will change the way we interpreted reality because due to our achievement, we have found the key to a new aspect of reality which we didn't know existed.
Speaker 5: One last thing on America, Given the huge complexity of what you've described, do you think that a presidential election between Joe Biden and Donald Trump offers somebody who is capable of dealing with that degree of complexity.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be very difficult. It's it's it's a painful question. We have to live with what exists, and we mustn't turn our disputes into civil wars.
Speaker 1: You're listening to a special conversation with distinguished diplomat and former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. We'll have more of that conversation next.
Speaker 5: The third part of our conversation centered on Asia, perhaps the place where Kissinger's had the most enduring impact for most people now that impact is represented by China, which Kissinger and Richard Nixon helped open up to the West. But his first encounter with Asia, and the area of his life is critics focus on, was into China. I put it to Kissinger that although Nixon and he plainly inherited a mess in Vietnam in nineteen sixty eight, by nineteen seventy five, North Vietnam had taken control of Saigon in Cambodia, which America had bombed, was a disaster. I asked him whether from the perspective now of nearly fifty years, there was anything he would have done differently.
Speaker 3: Honestly, leave, We did the best we could. We inherited the war in which five hundred and fifty thousand Americans now five hundred thousand were in place, and fifty thousand more had already been ordered to go there, and we're on the way UH to go there. In America, public opinion had turned in a significant way against the war and in violent demonstrations UH in the seats, among out the international public. Everybody was against the war, but they also were for Americas defending them. So our gradibi around the world depended accidents today on our ability to perform the tasks we had assigned ourselves. We have comparable problems today in issues in Taiwan and elsewhere Ukraine. So our resistant was to try to end the war under condition in which we a in which the control over their own destiny became fell more and more into the hands of the South Vietnamese. We gradually withdrew our troops, conducted negotiations, but also conducted enough military operations so that our adversary now quasi ally, but our then adversary did not become convinced that he could take over. Uh. We did not want in afghan what Lady was in Afghanistan style withdrawal, which was for twenty five hundred people. We had five hundred and fifty thousand people, bloss a million armed. We in amazing place. So was it at every stage conducted with the absolutely would say a better way at any one point we didn't think so. I still don't think so. But uh, I'm open to that argument. But but what is meant by better? We reduced American casualties substantially, so that by the last year of the war they were in the thousands. UH. When the Nixon administration came in. They were reduced to less than a hundred in the last year of the war, and we withdrew from ground combat within two years, at all times maintaining a negotiation. The irreducible demand we had was an autonomous democratic government in South Vietnam that was not granted until the last three months of the war, which is why they were the last three months of the war. At that point we settled, But then the next question became could we maintain the settlement. We believed that we could maintain the settlement as we did in South Korea, against all but an all out invasion from the North, at which point alliance issues were a varis. But we believed against foreseeable infiltrations, we could maintain the autonomy of the of the government and we could maintain it against even significant attacks. But then Watergate occurred within two months of the settlement, and the Congress, reflecting public opinion, forbade any kind of military action in over in Near Vietnam. At that point, uh we d it w had become and had destroyed the basis. It was painful. It was the saddest moment of my public life when I had to sit in the Security Advisor's office and recommend the final withdrawals, and I published in my memoirs conversations with President Ford to show how painful he found it to agree to these recommend I think the time we gained enabled us. By the time the war was ended, we had already opened to China, and that in turn, or China had opened to us. Either way, but that was the crucial turning point of the Cold War, and also a created a structure from which we could have maintained or at least given the vietnamse a reasonable chance. During the debates and the pressures, many things were said that can now be s used to indicate different views. But this was our resential views, and I'm sure that any later books that are written on the subject that have access to material will see that this was what we thought and acted on.
Speaker 5: It's pretty quick on that. You think the in the end, the end, and the end justified all the collateral damage of hanging on that.
Speaker 3: No, the energy for us, uh, the end we were aiming for was an honorable piece. By honorable peace, we meant a piece in which we did not turn over the people who had relied on us to the domination of those whom they had fought relying on our promises. That was our definition of the end. We honestly believed that we had achieved that, and in presenting his proposal, the North Vietnam Meets negotiated, Lee Doctor. The crucial point was in October nineteen seventy two when the North Vietnam Meets negotiated turned over a proposal and then ready to DS and said this is essentially what President Nixon has proposed in January. At that point I asked for a recess. And my closes associated that point was a man called Vinceton Lot Hm went on to a distinguished career, and he had sort of resigning at the time we uh fought in Cambodia. And I told him, then you have two choices. You can go outside and walk around with a blacket, oh, you can help end it work. And so at that moment I turned to Winston or such Americans at that point, and I turned to him and I said, we've done it. Turned out to be a sad statement, because yeah, we hadn't, because we could not maintain the domestic support that was needed to sustain it. Ah. But the effort if the effort had not been made, and if we had gone to either of the other extreme solutions, one of it was to go all out upon coming into office before the ground had been laid with Russia and China, or to withdraw unconditionally and tried to extricate hundreds of thousands of troops while the enemy was still around them. In the foe mened local people might have turned against us. Was uh was not U was not acceptable, and there were no other terms that could have been n uh n uh negotiated. That was the reality ah that we faced, and so in retrospect President Nixon came to believe and actually I thought already at that time we should have considered a more all out military solution at the beginning. But reflecting about it, at the time we had had assassinations in America HM and already violent demonstrations. That was probably more theoretical than practical. So that was our thinking, of course, that it's all below it's been debated.
Speaker 5: The other bit, which you you mentioned as being in part a reason why staying there made sense was China. From that point of view, you went there, you hope it.
Speaker 3: Was important for us to show we ended up it convinced that a country of the magnitude of China and the history of China could not be kept out of the international system, and that we could not keep it out of the international system, that it would find a way to enter it, and so we began effort to open relations. At that moment, China had withdrawn all its ambassadors from every country in the world except to Poland and Egypt. And Poland was maintained in the Geneva Agreement of nineteen fifty four as a contact point between America and China, and negotiations began on a regular patis, that is, between the ambassadors. That there were one hundred and sixty two meetings between nineteen fifty four and nineteen seventy one, none less and more than a day, because each began with the Chinese demanding the immediate return of Taiwan to China and with the Americans demanding that the UH China affirm its commitment to a commitment to a peaceful evolution of the process. Neither demand was accepted, and so we began from that basis and then went through many contortions to establish contact and exploring many e ways of possibly doing it, and finally found a way when President Nixon told Yakub Khan in Pakistan that we wanted contact, that to convey to the Chinese that we wanted a real dialogue, and we emphasized it by sending an embarassador in Poland, the impacted in Poland to approach the Chinese embassador at any social function which all impacted and were invited, which turned out to be a Yugoslav fashion show, and one normally doesn't associate with Yugoslavia. But we uh approached him, and it was at that moment we the embattlor a few weeks later drove up to our office to our empathy and said they were ready to begin negotiations. Those other contortions through which things were conducted at the time, but from there we worked together with China on the specific problem of enabling in a dire which gave for us something additional to think about, and then led to the eating of the Cold War and the culmination of the Vietnamese agreements and subsequent evolution of Journeese American relations.
Speaker 5: There's always a metaphor. Well, I think the first time you said we were in the foothills of a new Cold War and then we went up to the mountain passes. Then the world was on a precipice looking over. But each time we talk, the relationship between America and China seems to be worse. Is that Is that true today?
Speaker 3: I say we are now at the top of the precipice, and one of the big problems is both sides needed to step back from it several days. If one of them stepped ba back, it is falling. So both have to decide to take the tension out of this situation. But there's an inherent diff difficulty in that relationship. China had been a great country for much of its story, but in the period that prior to the assumption of relations in the terms of measuring power uh China was much weaker hm than the U than the United States. Its capacity was to stir up difficulty all over the world by using its diplomatic and potential commercial in influence. As China grew in strengths, which was inherent in opening the relationship uh it's it c gained the capacity of threatening the United States. In the nature of modern technology and the nuclear age from the beginning raised the issue that countries developing nuclear weapons and the capacity to deliver them HM were able to inflict the amount of damage that would normally require years of warfare, so that therefore their capacity to influence actions by threats grew. That was the dilemma of the nuclears to begin with, and it was one reason why many of us thought negotiations for the reduction of that that were important. So with respect to Chinese American relations MM and China grew stronger, and as the American debate became more complicated, as we've discussed earlier mm UH, and as the Chinese governments changed over the years, UH, the tension became harder and harder to manage, and on the American side, it became him it's object, which it had not been, of domestic politics, so that candidates are now influenced by the degree of which their opponents can accuse them of selling out of China HM. So that it's the current problem, however, and it is a unique situation in the sense that the biggest threat of each country it's the other. That it's the biggest threat to China, it's America in their perception, and the same it's true here that the Chi that the biggest threat on the other hand, ors have become either unwinnable with the advanced weapons or venerable only at courts said out of proportion and so out of port efforts to negotiate, which China and I've been urging them.
Speaker 5: There's one interesting thing you said. You pointed out there in America that politics has changed because successive yet leaders and the elections people fight. In China, you've had one leader. You've a jaging thing now for over ten years. So the fact that it's got worse in China is that his fault. What what is has he gone in the wrong direction?
Speaker 3: Well, what he has done is the so called wolves diplomacy, en which China needs leader. Chinese diplomats were urged in effect to throw around their weight the in re s so in relations with say Australia, which of a dramatic reduction of Chinese trait because of some political and other statements that had been made. It's a problem with little bit comparable to what we did cussed before about Germany before nineteen fourteen, that Germany had suddenly became a great power and after it t h pit Mark at first had to h Ye did not know how to apply it in a way that translated into diplomatic results.
Speaker 5: You described Deng Shaping, for instance, as a great man. Do you think of Jijinping as a great man?
Speaker 3: Well, T is dung Chapin had finished his that had finished its destiny or its role.
Speaker 5: H t.
Speaker 3: Came in after a cultural revolution which wiped out many of these experienced leaders, and I don't describe him now as a great man, but I think he's foul doing golds, which might earn him the title and the American president if they achieve a real balancing of relationship between the two countries.
Speaker 5: What chances do you see of of an invasion of Taiwan sometime in the next three four years on the current trajectory of relations.
Speaker 3: Well, on the current trajectory of relations, I think some military conflict it's probable, But I also think the current prajectory of relations must be altered and full the beads preceding our discussion, there have been signs on both sides of trying to end them. They have not yet actually engaged in the sort of dialogue that that I suggest it, but I think they're moving towards it, and I leave my mind open in relation to the outcome.
Speaker 5: The other thing which has happened is that China has got more involved in things beyond its traditional region. You know, you've seen China talking to Zelensky. You saw China brokering a kind of truth between I Iran and Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 3: It should be an inevitable part of these discussions that both sides explained to each other what their core interests are and determine how do I handle situations in which they are core into its clash and I would hope to resolve into its in which CoInc it's class without conflict, or managed to avoid situations of clerging coincines.
Speaker 5: At the moment, you have India, which seems to be a non aligned country. It is not on one side or the other. Would would it? Would a younger Kissinger now focus from an American point of view of trying to bring India, which will be the next great power, onto the American side.
Speaker 3: I have no. I have not dealt with India for in terms of years, even longer than I've dealt with China, and at the early period of my dealing with India, their non alignment or a suit of considerable irritation because it took the form of lecturing arts on the virtues of non alignment. That choice was open to them, but not to us. When you are in a cold war, you can retreat from it and say you're not going to choose non alignment. But in the decades Wi which I've dealt with India said, since I think their policy, their current policy is extraordinarily thoughtful, and I have great respect for their foreign minister, who is a very i would say brilliant executor of that of that policy. India is a great power, and over the decades ahead, it will grow very comfortably to China, maybe not quite of the same string, but it doesn't matter at that point exactly it it will be of sufficient strength to uh sud itself, and so it performs best when it defends its own interests, which overlap many of ours. Our interests as a great power are to prevent any country from dominating the world or its regions in such a way that we lose our influence. To achieve important objective.
Speaker 1: You're listening to a special conversation with distinguished diplomat and former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. We'll have more of that conversation next.
Speaker 5: The final part of our conversation focused on legacy and the personal side. Henry Kissinger has remained a pretty private person. In an age where leaders like to play on emotional narratives, he has, as we shall shortly see, tended to suppress his backstory even when it might win him sympathy. One constant in the three decades that I've known him has been football. His first question on seeing me was why had Leicester City, my football team, just been relegated from the Premier League. He has followed Firth, which itself got relegated from the Bundesliga last year since he was a boy. Indeed, he and his brother were beaten up by Nazi thugs for trying to sneak into a game. You have lived one hundred years and Firth is yet to win the Bundesliga. How long would you have to live for that to happen?
Speaker 3: Oh, it would come close to the definition to giving us a definition of infinity.
Speaker 5: I've read a lot of things you've written, and nothing quite as sort of powerful as this. And it's it's in Neil Focuson's book. It was a private essay you wrote when you visited our concentration camp. When you age, I think just twenty two, and especially you meet this inmate called Felxama, and you say, Felix Samer, your foot has been crushed so that you can't run away. Your face is forty, your body is ageless. Yet all your certificate reads is sixteen. And I stand there with my clean clothes and make a speech to you and your comrades, Felixamer. Humanity stands accused in you, I, Joe Smith, human dignity. Everybody has failed you. You should be preserved in cement up here on the hillside for future generations to look upon and take stock human dignity. Objective values have stopped at this barbedoir. As long as conscience exists as a conception in the world, you will personify it. Nothing done for you will ever restore you. You are eternal in this respect. Obviously had a very profound experience in you. But if something you chose to keep so private for a long time is that do you think that's a different way of people seeing Henry Kissinger.
Speaker 3: It was a feeling that its concentration camp evoked in me. I wrote that within a week of having seen the level of dehumanization that we can imagine that people were too weak to hurt the god that kept them and be killed some people by mistake by giving them solid food. A but it so I wrote that for myself. I had no intention of publishing it, because feelings about humanity can affect your own actions. A biographer discovered it mm not among papers I gave him, but it ref It reflects an underlying reality that we have to recognize its lurking behind our technical capacities, and that we need to contain and prevent from breaking and to you, to prevent the bearing side from breaking out.
Speaker 5: When you look back at your life now from one hundred year point of view, do you think that has been the core of it? Is trying to do that.
Speaker 3: It's been an important core of it. But I don't advertise.
Speaker 5: It on that thing. I know you're you're one hundred, you're talking about writing two more books. But how if not for that, how would you like to be remembered.
Speaker 3: It's out of my control. I tried to do. They're best I could within the frameburg that we.
Speaker 5: Have did good, Henry Quest, thank you very much for talking to Bloomberg. A very delayed happy birthday, Thank you very much,