Speaker 1: Hey, it's Danielle Fischl right or Strong and will Fredell. But you know us best as Tapanga, Sean and Eric from Boy Meets World and now Pod Meets World, the podcast where we've been sitting down weekly to rewatch the show we starred in as kids, and we've been unpacking well a lot.
Speaker 2: And we've been taking the show on the road with the Kids Want to Jump Tour where Every stop in cities across the US has been totally different and pretty hilarious, if I do say so myself.
Speaker 3: But we know not everyone could join us. So we're happy to announce that our recent thirtieth anniversary of the show, Live from the met in Philadelphia, will now be available to stream no matter where you live.
Speaker 1: Our biggest show yet in the hometown of the Matthews, featuring appearances by Trina, Angela McGee, Matthew Lawrence aka Jack Hunter, Tony Mister Turner Quinn, and Danny Harley McNulty, who makes a very special surprise visit.
Speaker 2: It was so much fun and now you can experience it from the comfort of your own home.
Speaker 3: It will be available on December eleventh at five pm Pacific. You can learn more about how you can watch at VEEPS dot Events slash Pod meets World.
Speaker 1: December eleventh, your birthday. That's try and this stream will be the only way to see or hear the Philadelphia show. We won't ever be airing it again, and we won't be releasing it as a podcast. Get all the info on streaming the live Pod meets World show so you don't miss out. Go to veeps, v e p S dot Events slash Pod meets World Now.
Speaker 3: So my wife just got back from Poland she got back. Yeah, they won the Audience Award, this third audience award in a row, which is amazing. Yeah, it's like the only award that this festival gives out and they want it, which is huge. And she just had such an amazing time. But one of the things that.
Speaker 4: She talked about was how cheap the meals were really really Yes, like they had amazing food with like huge groups of people, and and I was like, because we just came back from New York, I was like, not our experience.
Speaker 3: Was like not in America in general, but certainly not in New York City during our time. But anyway, it just made me think of times where I have definitely overpaid for meals and like been and I was wondering if you guys have ever had you heard that one story and my friend Chris told about he got stuck with sushi one time he went to a sushi place ordered got recommended by the chef. He was had like a special sushi place for his birthday with his girlfriend and he got the chef said, oh you should try this, you know, special sashimi, and ended up being six hundred dollars for like five pieces of money.
Speaker 5: It was like eight Well by the time they realized like maybe we should check on the price of this, they had only had like five pieces total and it was eight hundred bucks in Yeah, but like those two pieces of sushi were three hundred each or.
Speaker 2: Super It's so funny that you mentioned that because I literally yesterday or the day before, we have a bucket list restaurant we want to go to and plan your trip around booking this restaurant. So we're going to or trying to get into French laundry and so it's it's going to be and it's one of those things where you look at the reservations and for months they're booked up. So it's not like, hey, we're going to be there in April, can we get a table. It's like, oh, there's a table in April. I guess that's when we're going.
Speaker 1: Right, we'll go. So yeah, it's like a month's rent. It is, well, the.
Speaker 2: One they they the one they were doing, which I didn't want to do anyway, but it was like a caviar pairing with everything both. It was a set menu of one thousand dollars a person. So it's that's what I looked at.
Speaker 1: It was Sue. It was like, we're not doing that one.
Speaker 2: She's like, no, I don't want to do a cat the people when you're yeah, yeah, so that's a bucket list thing for me. I'd like to give that shah. There's two things I wanted I want to do because I very rarely plan stuff like that. I want to go to French laundry and I want to.
Speaker 1: See a del in concerts.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, those are the two things I really like that will also cost a thousand dollars. Yeah, I think I think that'll be I think that's doable. The tickets to a del I think so that we're going to plant, we'll plan a Vegas trip around seeing Adele. But I really like Adele and i'd like to see her in concert. I think she'd be phenomenal, So that is something I definitely wanted.
Speaker 1: That would be fun. We we when we went to Thailand on our that actually that walk where I told you guys, when I was like, can we go? Can we walk to this thing? Yes, the freeway walk. On that walk, we stopped at a fruit cart. It was our very first day there, so I didn't have time to like figure out exactly what the conversion rate is for everything. But we stopped at a fruit cart where you know, they put some spicy stuff on the fruit, and we shared one large container of fruit, and they told us how much how much it was, and I just handed them the money and then walked away. And I was like, I don't I don't think that that actually made sense. I don't think that made sense. And I was and he was like why, and I said, I think we made I think I just said like fifteen American dollars or I think it was supposed to be like a dollar, like a US American dollar, and they literally just took one look at us and were like, it's it's thirty fifteen, and I was like, well, you're good.
Speaker 3: Good for them, you lost fifteen dollars. They ate for a month, Danielle.
Speaker 1: I am not complaining. The fifteen dollars is probably what we would have spent out here for the So what I'm saying is I definitely was like they that was not what they would have charged anyone else. That was definitely not what it's supposed to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you guys ever eat at the Pacific Dining Car downtown? Do you remember that place?
Speaker 1: I remember that that place was crazy.
Speaker 3: It was too cool. So I I lived downtown, you remember. I moved downtown and then I found out of the Pacific Dining Cars. It's it was in a train car. It was like a famous It was a big police thing, right, like a lot of cops went there whatever.
Speaker 1: But it was like super expensive and I had heard like, oh.
Speaker 3: It's this fancy restaurant, and so I took I decided to take my dad and his mother, so my grandmother and my dad because they were I don't know why it was just the two of them. They must have been visiting me in La or my grandmother must have been coming down for a special trip with my dad or whatever, and so I was like, I'm gonna take them out to a nice restaurant. I've heard about the Pacific Dining Car, and I think we went for brunch. It wasn't even dinner, it was brunch, and I was like, I'm buying, I'm getting this, and my dad couldn't eat. He ordered food and was so stressed out about how much money, like he could not eat, Like he started eating and then just had to go to the bathroom and throw up. And I remember I was like, it's okay, like I'm making this is you know, but it was like but just like it was just so for the price or the food from the price, like he could not swallow food. Well, you know, like hundreds of dollars for whatever it was like Pacific Dining. I don't know, like, but I was trying to be like here I thought, at the age of sixteen seventeen that I was like taking my dad out, taking my grandma out, and it totally stressed my dad out to a degree that like he couldn't eat, and like I'll never forget that.
Speaker 1: I was just like, oh god, you know, it's okay that I have this, but you know, he just couldn't handle it.
Speaker 3: And I remember my grandmother like ordered, of course, like the cheapest thing, but it was.
Speaker 1: Just like you know, yeah exactly, and I'm like, it's okay, guys, please let me do this.
Speaker 2: I don't mind paying a ton for food if it's worth it. I mind, you know, getting a crappy.
Speaker 1: Meal hundreds of dollars for me and it happens. You don't know until you already order it and.
Speaker 2: It happens, and then you're like, you've got to be kidding me. This isn't very good. We just ate, but we were just in New York. That Vietnamese place was pretty dark.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, was amazing that place. But you know a lot of times it's you can tell when you walk in and like the decor is where they spent all their money. I'm always like, not a good signe Like you know, if it's if it's like so hip and so much money went into like the setting, which can be nice.
Speaker 1: Atmosphere is important.
Speaker 3: I like a good atmosphere, but when that's like really like over the top, I'm always like, that's what I'm paying for more than the food.
Speaker 1: My mother in law used to love. For Christmas, we'd go to Lowries every year and celebrate. We'd get the minute they open up their Christmas reservations, like they do it like right around it's probably time to time to figure it out. I need to put it in my calendar. But it's like hard to get a reservation. They decorate for Christmas and it's a gorgeous steakhouse Prime Rib. And we carry on the tradition. Now that she's passed, we carry on the tradition. We write down when the reservations are open, we make a reservation and we take the kids in honor of her for our Lowry's Prime Rib dinner. And it's super expensive. And she used to say every time, she'd be like, this is the one time of year we do it. Enjoy it. We don't do it often, enjoy it. And so it's a really fun little tradition that we carry on for her. So when you find a good place that you love, it can absolutely be worth it.
Speaker 2: We just booked a New Year's place in Mystic, Connecticut because that's where we're going to be for New Year's back where we got married. And I was checking like every week, calling the place and they're like, no, sorry, we're not we're not open for reservations yet now, and.
Speaker 1: I called on the day.
Speaker 2: The guy was like, I actually just opened them up, like you'll be the first one on the list. I was like, oh, yes, we got our favorite restaurant in Mystic for New Year's.
Speaker 1: Which is not Mistic Pizza.
Speaker 2: I too, No, it is not Missed Pizza though. That's where our wedding rehearsal dinner was, which was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah you were there. It was a ton of well, welcome to Pod Meets World.
Speaker 2: I'm Daniel Fishal, I'm rather or strong, and I am officially hungry, and I'm well.
Speaker 1: So today we are recapping season three, episode twenty I Never Sang for My Legal Guardian. It originally aired a third nineteen ninety six. The synopsis Sean becomes frustrated over the disappearance of his birth father, just as mister Turner contemplates taking on a bigger role. Also, Eric becomes a tutor. It was directed by David Traynor. It was written by Kevin Kelton. What did you guys think? Overall impressions before I get into who our guest cast was.
Speaker 2: That was good?
Speaker 3: Great, Yeah, solid episode.
Speaker 6: I thought it was.
Speaker 1: Boring, really, I did. I thought it was boring.
Speaker 2: I thought it was the quintessential episode of not knowing what to do with a bunch of different characters.
Speaker 1: I thought the BT story was.
Speaker 2: Weird and not that great.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't awful, but it certainly wasn't one of my favorite episodes.
Speaker 1: Wow, I feel like.
Speaker 3: This was an episode that they probably had been holding on to until the end of the season. Yeah, you know, so for me, it tied up the Sean storyline in such a nice way. I was like, oh right, it feels like this could have happened right after you know, the double Lie, or like one earlier episodes from the season.
Speaker 1: So I feel like this.
Speaker 3: I guess it was just satisfying to tie up, like, oh right, we're back into like the storyline since ever since Chet entered the show, E've been kind of waiting for this. So that was the end of second season. So for me, I feel like this is it's starting to feel like that, you know, the serialization of Boy Meets World is really coming together, and of course just the Sean storyline.
Speaker 1: Just it's great. I was like, wow, this is I care. Yeah, I loved the episode. I loved the storylines. I will say, you know, there is no other There's a lot of different ways I want to come at this. One is that sometimes we get criticism for holding Boy Meets World to maybe a higher standard than we would most other nineties sitcoms, especially kids sitcoms, and to a certain extent, people are right. It's a Friday night kids slash family show, and you're going to have some episodes that are just going to be played for Joki joke laughs, and there's not going to be like this deeper Boy Meets World stuff. But then you get an episode like this where at the end of the episode it's all rosy and happy, and yet every single person watching knows it absolutely is not that something bad is going to happen. This is not going to work out this. Everyone feels somehow a little bad about the positive ending of a show. You can't tell me that's a regular old nineties sitcom. That's actually that's kind of a drama. It's also very high level. Now here's my question.
Speaker 2: Do you think back in the day we can say that now because we know where it's going. Do you think back in the day when you saw it your first time, when it ended that way. People really thought this isn't going to go well. Yes see, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you why when we get into the actual scene. I'll tell you why. Okay, there are some beautiful, subtle, absolute nods to the fact that what's going on on Chet's end is a little making sure sure, and so I think it is very obvious for anyone who's who's paid attention that this is not the ending of Turner having done everything he's done for Sean and the relationship they've formed, and no one I think is thinking, wow, look at that. All it took was for Sean to say something like I need you and I think you need me, and then for well, for Corey to go after him, and then that all of a sudden changes his mind. I think everyone, I think.
Speaker 3: I think the bottom line is the audience, because even even if you're not going to be forward thinking enough to like worry or to know that Chet's going to let him down again, I think that there's just the tension that is left when you kind of want Turner and Sean to be together again, like you kind of think that you know that Turner's better for Sean.
Speaker 1: In some ways.
Speaker 3: Yes, And so even though it's a happy ending that Sean gets his dad back, there's still the sense of, like, oh, but I wanted Sean Turner to like work their stuff out, and they don't work it out.
Speaker 1: You know, are they are? They work it out?
Speaker 3: They but you know the fact that he doesn't become the legal guardian and you kind of think that.
Speaker 1: Would be good for Turner too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that's just that's just bittersweet, right, It's a bittersweet ending, and that's I love that that, you know that bittersweetness is is what makes a great set.
Speaker 2: I'm getting I was getting a little tired of angsty Sean for the nineteenth episode in a row where it's.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, buckle up. I know, I know, but it was all it is.
Speaker 2: It was also this is to me, I always say it's the quintessential one. But there was no reason to waste Alex's time on this show.
Speaker 1: No, agree.
Speaker 2: He did not need to be on Boy Mets World at all, and he could have gone off and started a much better career on a different show.
Speaker 1: Because they never used it. But you know what I mean, did they never use it?
Speaker 2: They had no idea what they're doing with this guy. He did not need to be there. I feel like we were wasting his time. And so this was the where I was like, what the hell is this guy even doing here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm sure, yes, in hindsight, you're absolutely right. And at the time I think Alex was thrilled to have the paycheck. Of course, of course, you know, and we love him to death, but god, what a waste of this man. I know.
Speaker 3: It's like, I feel like they had given up by this point. Yeah, the writers had given up.
Speaker 2: Episode that was just about his character the way everyone's.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately janitor one. Oh, right, but the gender budd was he was the teacher. That was great.
Speaker 3: But then the other one I was thinking is that the Subway episode had you know, it was just him and Turner had their own.
Speaker 1: Beast, the.
Speaker 3: Crazy ladies, right, and that was just a bummer of a storyline for them because probably would have been better if he had been more established. But yeah, other than that, no, and I think I think what happened is they did the fifties episode, they wrote him an entire scene, rewrote it without where he now he just only has like two lines or whatever to get Pat Marita in there, and I think they just gave up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like checked out. Is he in fourth season? I don't know. I don't think so. I don't think so. This is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think Tony only has a couple episodes left, right, I mean Tony comes back for fourth season, but not as a regular.
Speaker 1: No. No, I think he.
Speaker 2: Did two seasons of the show. Yeah, pretty sure he did in a little full seasons and then a little.
Speaker 1: This is it.
Speaker 2: We're like five episodes away from never seeing Tony again.
Speaker 1: So crazy, Okay, So guest starring the return of Blake Clark as chat Hunter waiting and here Yes he's all Marine cut Yeah, and Bobby Phillips as Leu Anne, Bobby Jacobi as Jeff Lacy. We had Melvin in the nineteen ninety classic Tremors, as well as Homeboy Number two in Can't Hardly Wait? What's Yeah? Frank Novak as Desk Sergeant, a well established character actor with appearances on Perfect Stranger, Seinfeld Friends, Madmen, and Scrubs, but he also played Henry Kissinger in the Watchmen movie. Oh oh interesting Okay, And then we had Cindy A. Laura as Anita Worth noting her only other role was as party Girl Number one in Bikini Hotel, a film I had not heard of. What you have never heard a Bikini Hotel shocking, and she was party girl number one. Bikini Hotel two was better. It really caught the stride. Also worth noting, I was personal this episode I Never Sang for my Legal Guardian is a reference to the nineteen seventy drama slash musical starring Gene Hackman called I Never Sang for my Father. Interesting.
Speaker 2: I normally, if I don't remember an episode at all, which this one I did not remember at all, I will have some sort of inkling of remembering the title.
Speaker 1: Right. I don't remember ever even hearing this title. It's a weird title.
Speaker 2: It's a weird title, and when I saw it, I was like, is that really the name of this episode? I don't remember this at all.
Speaker 1: Well, it ties in with our Daniels red Jelapi geloppiness of Boy Meets World, which is I Never Sang for my Father from nineteen seventy must have been impactful or important to someone, whether that's Kevin Kelton or whether that's Michael Jacobs or somebody else in the room. But somebody decided those two things probably went together and they decided to name it that, But it means absolutely nothing to us, Yes, exactly. So let's jump into our recap. We start in the school hallway. Corey runs at Sean, who looks like he's wearing a floral kimono in this.
Speaker 2: Like, everybody's got the longest shirts or sweaters that I've ever We've gone from layers to length exactly. It's amazing what's going on.
Speaker 1: So Corey is warning him they're going to be late for class. Sean is on the payphone trying to check his messages. I do not remember that being a thing. Do you guys remember that?
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 2: Absolutely really sure? You'd have to have your code to type in what is like.
Speaker 3: You know, you have to call home to your answer machine and then type in, you wait for the bead, You have to hit weight, you have to hip star while the answer spit some announcement's going out, and then your code and you could like erase messages, replay, save them or whatever.
Speaker 2: It was. The thing if like an X New Year code, they could get in and change your message, they could.
Speaker 1: Do any of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then and then people got voicemail, which we would obviously be able to do that right from wherever. But yeah, you uti to have to call your old self, your your own answer machine.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: I forgot all about that until we just walked through all those steps, and then I vaguely remember, yeah, he did used to be able to do that.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 1: So crazy. So mister Turner appears from his classroom or maybe it's the boy's bathroom, or maybe it's Phoene Weenie's office, depending on what floor of the tower we are on, yep, and Sean asks him for his secret code. Corey quickly answers it's one four three for mister Turner asks how do you know my secret code? Without hesitation, Corey says, easy, it's the same as your bank card. Oh, I owe you forty bucks. So did he go into his wallet and steal his bank card? Yes, and then actually took cash out. And this bumps me a lot because why is Corey so comfortable with Turner? Like, if this were Sean, I could see it being like, oh wow, talk about the boundary crossing. But because they live together and he's kind of like a father figure, but Corey, Corey feels comfortable enough what Turner to do this? Yeah, apparently I kind of liked it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, sort of, Like I.
Speaker 1: Mean, in general, I thought this was a good.
Speaker 3: Integration of Corey in this episode, because you know, normally, if you're gonna have Sean take over the storyline this much, Corey has completely disappeared, right And in this one, Ben has some fun stuff. He's funny. This is my favorite court drive the story forward.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is my favorite Cord.
Speaker 2: This is what we were saying in the episode Fuzzy where he comes in and somebody else is taking the lead of the show and he comes in and has some of the greatest one liners and all that, and they.
Speaker 1: Took it slightly to the next level.
Speaker 2: And this one where at the point now he's driving parts of the story. But that's my favorite kind of Corey, And I think I think this will go away. My guess is in the next episode or two, it's going to be all about Topanga again, and that's going to set.
Speaker 6: Up the story.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean we can tell just because the next episode we can tell that it's our our Florida episode, which is oh is this that the next one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow, I am boling if I don't look forward either. The name when you if you watch on Disney Plus, it comes right up like the minute the episode ends, it says the name of the next episode, and I was like, it's something like it has Disney in it. Oh, no, the happiest place on Earth. Oh okay, so it is. And so I was like, we already go to Florida. I cannot believe that. We I can't. Let's not we cannot even dive into that. I haven't seen the episode yet, but I'm already flabbergasted. Amazing. So Sean says his dad hasn't called in two weeks, and mister Turner tells him not to worry too much. There could be a million reasons. Corey grees, yeah, didn't he say he was on his way to the Vaticand of is it his old friend the Pope. Well, there's only one phone, and it's in the Pope's bedroom and you do not want to go in there. So Sean was hoping he'd get to see his dad and he takes off. Corey tells Turner, we got a big problem with Sean. I mean, this one goes way beyond puberty, which I say, all the time I do.
Speaker 2: I had no idea where that was from, but I always say it's the beginning of a great tradition.
Speaker 3: The other one I remember that's coming up probably next season is anchovy Anchovy.
Speaker 1: Remember anchivy, I'm a little He's.
Speaker 3: Like a circling shock and I'm a little anchovy, And I go, you mean anchovy?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Any It's like such a basic.
Speaker 3: Dumb joke, but it works so well executlyb Yeah, puberty doesn't.
Speaker 1: I don't why is it so funny? It doesn't.
Speaker 3: It is the joke that just Corey has never said this word aloud and he's only read it, so he just mispronounces it.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the joke is. It works, it works just I love that. It's just a little idiosyncratic thing to have about a character where they just say certain words a little wrong or different with one hundred percent confidence. Like I just love it. I do that in my real life all the time, do you know all the time.
Speaker 3: Well, this one reminds me of I mean, because some people do say mature as opposed to mature, and like that is a debate, right, Like you can say it both ways. So it kind of works with pooberty, I mean puberty.
Speaker 1: So mister Turner corrects him, you mean puberty. Corey nods and says, yeah, puberty. So Corey says he has to get Chet out here. Sean hasn't seen him since he took off after his mom, which was a year ago. So timeline of boy meets world hands we're at about a year mark. Mister Turner admits, I don't think he's coming back real soon, Matthews. He reveals it a few months back. Chet sent the paperwork to make him Shawn's legal guardian. Corey is shocked and understands why Shawn's been so bummed out lately. Mister Turner agrees it's a big step for him and for me. It's difficult enough just living together in that mousehole of an apartment, and Corey tells him he has to do something. Turner agrees, Yeah, I do. Corey says, you know what, You're a good guy. Here's the thirty bucks I owe. Yeah, he corrects him forty. Corey nods that's a good memory and walks away. See I love this.
Speaker 3: I look at this, inserting Corey into Shawn's drama that Corey is taking on Shawn's drama.
Speaker 1: Is so great.
Speaker 3: It's such a great story device, like because you know, I can be the engine, you know, and I can bring the steaks, but then Corey has to feels I need to do something about it, and bringing him in Turner together for that, like we're in on this together. We care about this person.
Speaker 1: I love all that. My only thing I bumped against, and by the way, it's not a major thing. My only thing is I could never imagine Corey doing this to Feeni and I would actually as as a character. I would think Corey would be like, I can't do that. It's mister Turner, like even even him. So for me, my only bump up against it was that that requires a level of boundary crossing that I feel like Corey wouldn't do. Corey wouldn't do. I could totally see Sean doing it, especially with mister Turner, because hey, John, we share a house. It's I was gonna pay you back, Like I could see that. So, but I love everything else you're saying. I just kind of bumped against. WHOA what is this new Corey who feels so comfortable with mister Turner. He's he's taking on a little bit more of confidence we haven't seen him have before, but I love the way he's that's also integrated into the story.
Speaker 2: Exactly what Feeneye warned against, though, was that if he's going to live with you, with you and you know you're crossing a line, there's that blur of teacher friend whatever it is. And now we see it starting to leak into Corey as well, where it's yep, you know, it's like that's oh yeah, it's just you know, my best friend is living with this guy. It's like, well, no, that's still your teacher, still, mister John.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, then we're in Turner's apartment. Sewn and Turner enter with Seawn in mid complaint. I'm just saying I didn't like any of the apartments we saw. Turner tells him to be specific, and Sean clarifies the first one absolutely no furniture. Turner clarifies it was an unfurnished apartment. Mister Turner questions why he's being so difficult, and Sean begs to differ. He didn't mind the nice duplex in a condo community, but you said it was too expensive. Corey runs into the apartment excitedly. Good news. The duplex in the condo community. I talk them down, and look what they're throwing in. He opens a binderful of sample carpets. Corey advises they go with the shag because it feels good in between your toes, and like this. I love this peak, Corey. I love it the best. Where Corey is now suddenly a realtor because he realizes that there are perks and he gets super into it and he throws himself full bore. I love that, yep, really good. So Sean asks what's wrong with right here? We have furniture everywhere, and the neighbor's the best, wonderful people who mind their business. On que Eli walks in telling a neighbor to quit looking at him like that. Turner asks what's going on and Eli responds, remember when missus Dupachak's husband died and she said she would never look at another man. She's over him and I'm scared. Turner says, you know you could do worse than missus Dupchack. In fact, I've seen you do worse than missus Dupchack. How many times could I say missus jeep check in this recap, not even being sure how to say it. Let's let's see so far three, let's see how many men. Eli sarcastically tells him, this building's going to miss that wit when you're gone. And when is that happy day? Mister Turner says, as soon as Sean finds a place that he likes. Sewn butts in. Since every but he's talking about me like I'm not here, I might as well not be here. He storms out, but Corey tells mister Turner he thinks moving into a new apartment is brilliant. Then Corey runs out of the apartment, shouting after Sean, wait up, I've got some linoleums that will knock your socks off.
Speaker 2: And this is so, this is where angsty Seawan started to get. Nobody was talking about you, like talking about Sean like he wasn't there. He was part of the conversation. Then the conversation went between the It wasn't like they're deciding his life. Well he's not there at all. It wasn't that well, if they're going to talk about him.
Speaker 1: It's like they weren't doing that even a little bit, not even slightly. He's acting out, yes, yeah, and it was feeling hurt. It was feeling hurt. Was Yes, it was a little.
Speaker 3: Much for me about it. It was a little mope about it. Well, get ready, Bill, you got four seasons of mopey angsty in your face with his emotion Sean. Okay, okay, sorry, we he's emotion too much for you.
Speaker 1: Oh? Yes, you do you need me on this podcast. I'm just gonna go. If you guys are all just gonna sheese about me when I'm right here, yeah, if you're just gonna like, what was it?
Speaker 3: My acting?
Speaker 1: Is my acting? No, it's fine. I'll just go. You gotta get I'm just gonna sign off by acting? What by acting? God? I will say I loved this episode. I wish they did find a different exit for Sean because I also thought the same thing. Well, he just said one thing, which is when Sean finds a place that he lives, And I wish there could have been maybe a little bit more of like a joke of like, all right, you know, you guys make your jokes. I'm gonna go meet up with so anything, just because I understand why they needed to get you, why they needed to get Sean out of the apartment, but I did think he could have found there could have been a different exit for it, from zero to real fast. This is also peak Ben, like he's this everything we're saying, all of that. It is so funny him running out. I've got some linoleums that I'll knock you off in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: This this ending of the season seems to like we've.
Speaker 1: Locked in our characters, you know, like yeah, and you know, for.
Speaker 3: Better or worse. Like I think it's good now. I think I'm gonna get real sick of it as it goes on. You know, Will's already sick of it. But I do think that this becomes the pattern, right, is that that Sean is overly emotional and sensitive and bitchy about it. I guess you could say Will, and then Corey is this sort of nerdy like trying to make everything you know and and and neurotic and overthinking things, and like that's going to be the dynamic. Which you can see why, right, because it works, like you're going to see inside of it is so funny.
Speaker 2: I think we're going to see it switch a bit. But you were once again, and clearly season three was Sean was the star of the show. I mean, clearly the entire season well, no, they I.
Speaker 3: Feel like there's the two storylines. There's the Tapanga storyline, and these are the Seann storyline, and those are the two things driving this entire season, right, And they clearly had like kind of three parts of each one, right, Like, there's gonna be we're gonna break Shawn up from his dad, We're gonna we're gonna put Corey to Banga together, break them up, and then probably get them back together by the end of the season, which I'm assuming Disney it's gotta be yes, right, yeah, And so yeah, do you guys get back together at Disney, right?
Speaker 1: That's yeah, I think so. I don't. I don't, I don't. I think it may be a two parter maybe not, though we kiss in front of the fountain at Epcot, so that's at the end of that episode unless it's a two parter episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we only have two episodes left, so that's amazing. So they're just clearly wrapping up the season by like establishing the Sean thing, you know, finishing out the Shawn's story here, and then they're gonna finish out the Corey to pay right.
Speaker 1: They want to put a bow on the end of season three only to break the bow in season four, probably you might know. Yeah, okay, So then we're in the school hallway. Eric runs down the school hallways. Mister Phoeney stops him, saying, I love the energy of a rededicated and enthusiastic scener off the class. That's a senior you did ye? Senior year is my favorite anyway in my giant sweat year, I was, Eric corrects him lunch. Phoene says it wouldn't be a bad idea if you took this pep to the classroom, and Eric responds, well, if you start serving mash taters, maybe I will. Mister phoene says he'll take it under consideration and adds I have your paper on European monarchies. Eric sees it and shockingly asks a d. He works really hard. He asks what went wrong? Without hesitation. Feene responds, I'd have to say the fifth grade when you took that ride in the dryer, A new possibility, new theory.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's been left on a roller coaster over and over.
Speaker 1: What's happened to you? This happened to me in dryer. Yeah, wait a minute, it didn't happen to you unless somebody puts you in it. Did you put yourself into the dryer?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I was playing hide and seek with my brother Greg, Greg, and we had one of those dryers that when you shut the door, it automatically turns on. So he put me in the dryer and shut the door, and I went the boomp bomptil. My mom heard it and opened the tryer and got me out. It actually happened to me.
Speaker 1: How you must have been tiny twenty years old? I was, I was, I was twenty two. This was last month. No, I was probably four, Oh my four or five?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Magret crushed, He claims he didn't know.
Speaker 1: Did what happened? Did your cigarettes get crushed? Cigarettes crushed? My cal? He did?
Speaker 2: My brother crushed my smoke. I will say this, I came out static free. That's quite a dryer, which is great. But yes, this actually and I forgot about this line. I think I told Bill about that when I was like that actually happened to me.
Speaker 1: And Greg claims to this day it was in an accident.
Speaker 2: I don't believe. Yeah, I was in the dryer. Was a little kid famous for del family story.
Speaker 1: No wonder, you're so funny, that's what it is and looks like this exactly Andrew hair. That's what I feel like. I love it. Oh my goodness. Okay, well another theory. There we go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that it immediately becomes a hair reference, though, I mean it is most like Boy.
Speaker 1: Meets World Michael Jacob's hair obsession thing. Otherwise I'd have hair like Cory's right, exactly, because the worst Eric, how dare you with curly hair? So Eric pleads to Feenie, This grade's going to kill my average. Can I do another paper? Mister Phoene says he has a better idea tutoring. Eric questions, I thought all the tutors got together and agreed to never work with me again. Phoene says his thought was to make Eric a tutor what what he knows. I see how being a tutor is good for Eric, Like, of course, if you're going to tutor or something, you have to know it inside and out, and it helps you learn the material yourself. So I get that. But I mean, at one point on the show, Eric had less brain activity than a mouse. So I'm not sure this is the best idea for the other children in the school. Maybe don't give him students.
Speaker 3: I think it's not the best storyline in general. It's not horrible, but it feels like it needed one more turn. I agree, you know, like the the fact that it just works out kind of exactly how you think, like right, And even Eric even calls him out. He's like, oh, I see what you did there, mister Foene, and he explains exactly the beats of the story, and then Phoene goes like, yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's it.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, where's the extra, Like, where's the twist where I don't know?
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know what. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just wanted one more like turn instead. It was like, oh, that that really is because you see it coming, just see and I was like, Oh, he's gonna get his grade better by tutoring somebody who's dumber than him.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. Pretty much feels very first drafty to me. Yeah. Yeah, but I still like it. I gotta be honest. Yeah, it wasn't bad. It was fine. Fine.
Speaker 2: I think that's a perfect word for it. It was fine fine, Yeah, it was fine.
Speaker 1: Eric laughs and asks him when he took his ride in the dryer, but phoene serious, and he asks if Eric knows Jeff Lacey. Eric nods, yeah, he's a guard on the basketball team. Phoene says, Lacey has athletic scholarship offers to twenty different colleges, but he needs at least to see average to get in, and Eric says, so if I tutor this kid, he turns pro makes millions. What do I get out of this? And phoene responds the joy of helping someone learn. Eric clarifies been no money, and Phoeney shrugs and admits, you get used to it. You get used me too. So good. Nearby, Corey walks up to Sean and asks if he's decided on the condo yet. Corey found out from the landlord that there's another offer, but he did a little dancing and bought us another half day sewn question he did so good. Sean questions us Corey, what's in it for you? And Corey excitedly tells him if he runts ten places, he gets a cruise. Sean says there isn't going to be any move. He's been moving around since he was a kid and he's sick of it. Sean wants the next move to be his last. Corey reminds him Turner's doing this for him. He's a great friend. Sean agrees, yeah, a friend, emphasizing that he's not his dad. And then we're in Turner's apartment and Eli is sampling Turner's cooking. John this does not taste like chicken alrange. Turner snaps back, I told you to taste it, not suck the meat off the bone, and Eli replies, someone's got their apron on a little too tight. Turner reveal in forty eight hours he's going to become Shawn's legal guardian. It's what he needs. Besides, I've come this far, might as well go the distance perfectly time. Sean walks in just as Eli stands up to leave, and Eli says something like that will change your life forever. Sean's confused about Eli's brother.
Speaker 3: And you didn't bother either of you guys that, Like, I didn't get clarity on what legal guardian means, Like it seems like this term, do you guys know what it means? Like, do you have any senses?
Speaker 2: Because Spencer was my legal guardian? Okay, yeah, so it's just kind of like a temporary, Yeah, it's shouldn't John have already been the legal guardian? If he's like, yes, I think he's becoming his right.
Speaker 1: You know, it's not an official adoption, because the difference is an adoption. You would then be Turner's son, like you become essentially the same as blood, you're his son. A legal guardian is I take legal responsibility for everything this person does as if they were my child. But it's not adopted, right, And what you have been doing is just I have been I have been a guard I've been basically doing my best with this kid. But if he were to go, say, blow up another mailbox or something, no one could hold me legally responsible for him.
Speaker 3: Yes, it, but you also can't legally do anything for him. So like at this point, right, if Sean has gotten into trouble, which he has this entire season, this entire year, like if he ends up in a hospital, Turner can't do anything.
Speaker 1: And that's why it's important to have a legal guardian.
Speaker 3: So it seems ridiculous that he hasn't.
Speaker 6: Entire year.
Speaker 1: What I'll say later is that later on, when we're talking with Alan and Amy in the kitchen and they're like, well, what you know, that's just another temporary situation. I kind of had the like a little light bulb went off and be like, wait a minute. To be honest, this whole season, I haven't felt like you living with Turner was a temporary situation, right. That was never like brought up along the way of like, well, it's still not sure we're going to stick with this, like I had felt like it was more like that had already happened, that he was your legal guardian and that you lived with him.
Speaker 2: It would have been too much for them to have said he was already the legal guardian and there are possible adoption papers, and that would have been.
Speaker 3: Too much, too far. So what would be too far? Step have been Yeah, no, I don't know. I guess you're you're right, Like it just felt like a band aid to me. It felt like a story band aid. It felt like a term that I was kind of like, wait, because obviously it's about adoption, right, Like that's what the story. It's an adoption storyline. It's like do you adopt this kid or not? And to put that pressure on Turner and to put that pressure on Sean is great. It's just this legal guardian thing. Just felt a little right fiffy to me.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, if they had just implanted in a previous storyline for Sean to point out to Corey or to somebody else, hey, this is still temporary. It's not like we've you know, it's not like we've signed any papers or anything. This is like if Sean had reminded everybody this was only temporary a couple more times, maybe this would have felt more like here's the moment, but you know.
Speaker 2: It almost I don't you know what scene I would love to have seen back in the back and maybe we kind of saw it a little bit, but maybe more in depth would have been like an Allan mister Turner scene about what taking.
Speaker 1: That's what I want, Yeah, that's what I want.
Speaker 3: I want more of the the amy and Allan of it all is the weirder part to me, because I feel like they would have stepped in and signed on as legal guardians just in paper, like they would have just done it to so somebody's there for Sean, because yeah, it seems like it's it's it's not as big of a deal for them because they already have kids to like be legally responsible for Sean. And it seems like they would do that right, like, and somebody.
Speaker 1: Has to be That's the thing.
Speaker 2: You seem like, you can't just crash in your couch. You give something happens, something respons you can't.
Speaker 3: Sign for filter, you know what I mean? Like you can't do anything unless you have a legal guardian.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: So Seawan is confused about Eli's parting words, and Turner says he thought Sean was eating dinner at the Matthews tonight. Sean says, Nah, he's tired. He wants to turn in early. Then Sean notices the chicken a la tang. What's the special occasion? Turner's got a date, but he tells Sean he can easily stretch the meal three ways. Sean goes through the mail. He finally got a letter from his dad. Apparently he's at a truck stop. In reading. Sean then tosses the envelope in the trash. Turner asks why he did that, and Sean says, that's fifty miles away.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 1: The least he could do is come visit me. Turner tells Shawn he spoke to an attorney today, just a couple of signatures and he's Sean's legal guardian. Sean asks, I thought you did that months ago. Turner admits he got the forms, he just never got around a filling him out. Sean scoffs, oh, I'm so sorry my life didn't fit into your busy schedule. Turner tries to calm him down, cut me some slack. I'm just trying to do the right thing, and Sean says Turner, and Sean says, yeah, I know you are. He leaves and looks at John, Hey, enjoy your date, and my heart just absolutely breaks because you wanted some of the chicken. Oh for a different reason. No, I just this is where my heart absolutely breaks for Sean. And I'm fully hooked into Sean meets World. Like I I love it.
Speaker 3: It was a little much for me, but you know, I have to remember it's a kid's show, because like I feel like you could just say, hey, enjoy your date and walk out right but two lines earlier. But instead it's going to be you know that, it's it's always got to be like a little pushed a little more explained. Sean's got to look him in the eyes and say.
Speaker 1: Oh, you don't care about me, puppy.
Speaker 3: Dog and I was like, that's where the like over, I agree acting over.
Speaker 2: It was the writing to me where you need It's like, how many scenes can he can somebody say something that's not that big a deal where it's like, hey, I'm, you know, doing my best here, where Sean then.
Speaker 1: Takes it the wrong way and walks out angry. It's like that how many times?
Speaker 3: I mean if he just if he just threw if Sean just threw the letter away and it's like, well, you know he's there, he's fifty miles away. Could have and then he starts to go out there and John's wait, wait, wait, I'm gonna get the legal paperwork. Oh you should have done that months ago and close the door the AO like you're right done. It would have had this and it would have felt like oh god, but instead I got to stop up and stare.
Speaker 2: Or even make it like I felt like I felt like Sean was was, I don't know, taking everything.
Speaker 1: Out on Turner more than he probably should have.
Speaker 2: And I would like to they tried to throw in a line here or there like I know you are, John, but I I can see a softer side of Sean occasion, like it's there's an anger about his dad, and he doesn't want to take it out on Jonathan. So it's like I could have played that. I would play that a little more up where it's like look like turning at the door and going, I know this isn't you.
Speaker 1: I just need to figure some stuff out, like something.
Speaker 3: Look, I mean even just that we're having this conversation as a tribute to the complexity of point of.
Speaker 1: Course, I mean, no sitcom has this these this many layers.
Speaker 3: I mean, like my, my, my issue, like my complaint right now is that because of the age group of the audience, and and and and wanting them, we have to make the subtext text right, like you have to have to bracket it the sort of yeah, we have to explain why Sean is upset.
Speaker 1: We have to put it up.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, like and and and I think my design or to be more subtle or to make it more clever is of course, to make it more of a drama, or to make it more of a like a realistic show. Then a sitcom really has any right being right, Like I kind of been wanting it to be like a drama play. But that's mostly because I do feel for Sean, I do feel for the setup is very good, the storyline is great and like we've earned it. Like I feel like this show has gotten to a place where so I just kind of wish we could have gone there.
Speaker 2: I don't know, how do you do either of you know, did anybody, any producers, writers, anybody that was involved the show, did any of them adopt somebody? Because this isn't the first time this comes up, We do it later with Tommy. There's like adoption is kind of a theme on our show. Does anybody know if anything?
Speaker 1: I think it just goes along with the theme of that you don't have to be blood to be family. So adoption, I just want to think it's the idea of community and taking care of each other. It is a big theme for you know. So then we are in Chubby's. Eric is tutoring Jeff new caretor alert. He's at Chubby's and while Eric's asking him questions, Jeff has a fry basket pressed up against his face. He's wearing that very cool John Adams letterman jacket. Eric asks, all right, Jeff, here's an easy one. Who was the king of France before Louis the fourteenth Jeff's confused. Eric encourages him, come on, this is going to be on the test. It's Louie the Jeff answers king. Eric turns it into a game. All right, last minute of play. You answer one question, we win the big game. Just then, two girls walk up to the booth and one asks Jeff, is that your Porsche outside. Jeff looks at Eric and shouts, yes, we win. Jeff asks sorcal totals yeah. Jeff asks if the ladies would care for a little ride. Eric void's looking at the girls, because we know Eric likes girls, girls, girls, girls, girls. He tells Jeff look away because they're studying, and Jeff asks, is that all you straight see students care about? Which I love that line, It's so funny. Eric assures him no, but he promised Phoeni. Besides, you can't fit four people in a Porsche. Jeff turns to Eric and says we can if they sit on your lap. Eric jumps up and says break down. Eric asks Jeff who painted the Sistine Chapel, and Jeff answers correctly Michaelangelo. Then he tells Eric I'm just kidding, and he asks who the real painter was as they walk up the stairs. That was that was his only scene. No, he says, another scene? Does he come? He comes back on the hallway? Do come back? Yeah? He comes back? Does he there's another? Yeah, there's a there's I think he does. I think that's it. Well, we'll find out. Yeah, they almost three.
Speaker 2: Pretty sure that's it, I think, because because Feenie hands Eric the test.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I thought there's another studying scene where I thought you have another scene with him.
Speaker 3: Now I thought I thought we saw him in the hallway walking around, but maybe not thought that was it.
Speaker 1: Well, we're in the Matthew's kitchen. Eric burges into the kitchen, announcing to Alan, Amy and Corey that he had a waste of a night. I just spent three hours in a Porsche speeding around with a pretty girl in my lap Alan sarcastically responds, I hate it when that happens. Amy asks who has a Porsche, and Corey butts in. The school's all American point guard is being tutored by the school's all American cheesehead. Eric tells Corey to go get the phone, and he smacks him on the head. When Corey says, I don't like Corey being mean to Eric. I don't either. I don't like it. I don't think this is funny. I don't like it. I don't think it's worth it.
Speaker 3: I don't like making fun of Eric being I don't know, I don't, you know, like I like when Corey is like I like when all the characters are baffled by Eric's lack of intelligence and sort of like what you don't you don't, But when Corey like is pointedly making fun of him, I was like, no, dude.
Speaker 1: Stop that. I know. I don't know. It really rubbed me the wrong way. It was weird. It sounded like a Morgan line. It sounded like a yeah, totally definitely. The second Ben said it, I was like, whoa.
Speaker 3: And then when you like hit him, I was like, yeah, it spars.
Speaker 1: To be brother beating up on the little brother. Yeah that's how.
Speaker 3: She's But I also didn't I always didn't. I didn't love it when Eric was too mean to Corey either.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I guess I just don't like insult humor all that much. I know, but our show, it really doesn't fit.
Speaker 1: I agree. I agree. Amy says she's proud yet confused, Alan asks if they could be sued, which I also thought was an interesting line, Can we be sued? Just then, Sean burst through the door and says hello to Amy and Allen, then quickly asks if they can leave. They both tell him no, and he says, dang, I need another plan. Corey suggests they just go outside.
Speaker 3: Your angsty Sean meets dumb Sean, which I kind of like a plan.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you, guys, but I was staring at this leather jacket, just hoping a flap was going to go open and we could see like the inside something like that.
Speaker 1: Now I am just staring at study it every single episode, trying it. It's not a bomber jacket. You're not even allowed to sing the song anymore. You're not allowed. Yeah, hold on to the memories because that's all we have. Because you cannot keep your hands.
Speaker 5: On the jet, hold on to the jacket exactly.
Speaker 1: So they go outside and Shown says, now that your parents have left the room, what are you doing tonight? Corey responds, well, I'm showing a three bedroom at seven thirty. That's the best man, so funny, that is the best joke. Sean says they're going to see his dad. He's in Redding, which is less than an hour away by motorcycle. Cory's excited, he's in. He questions if Turner will be able to fit them both on his bike though, and Sean says Turner isn't coming. It's just you and me, and we hear a loud ooh yeah from the audience. They can sense trouble when they see it and are somewhat instructed by the audience warm up guy to react loudly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I was thinking, like, how different is this than what they did to go to Peoene's cabin?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And yet you could it's a fine line. And it's interesting that the show is walking it because like you could tell that Sean's thinking this is normal, Shenanigan, it's with Corey, and then that you have to make a distinction because Corey would probably just go I mean Corey does right, he does his mission with Tobango right, Like a scene later, what is us on the motorcite You're in a full size Hardy It doesn't it seem like the very obvious thing right now is the chorus says no, but let's take the bus and let's go right, yeah, I mean yeah, and they'd go yeah right, so like what yeah, but then you got to make sure.
Speaker 1: That Sean crosses a line jail, So Corey nervously tells Sean to count him out. Seawn ensures him it's just a little field trip. What's the worst that could possibly happen? Optical police station. We cut right to a police officer telling Shawn he has one phone call, and Sean jokes, you guys really say that? Huh, that's cute, and then we take a commercial break.
Speaker 3: It kind of bumps me out that we don't ever see the motorcycle, Like, doesn't it feel like it doesn't it feel like such a cheat that I never like even if and obviously we're not going to see me ride in a motorcycle down the freeway or whatever, but like just seeing the bike somewhere, like, I don't know, it's kind of.
Speaker 1: A I think the bike has made enough of a cameo. I think we can picture the bike. The bike doesn't need its own shot. You just want at an.
Speaker 3: Excuse you ride riding a motorcycle with.
Speaker 1: Your leather jacket. Yeah, you're a fast guy.
Speaker 2: Not not a full size Hardy at fifteen Do I take?
Speaker 3: I take? I mean, obviously the helmet is in the apartment the next scene, but.
Speaker 1: You actually just hold the helmet like this, but think of the same thing you think it's supposed to be, just because that's how Turner is the only way you've seen it with the was an X man on the front on the handle. You have a sidecar, and the X men is in the sidecar exactly Tony's accident.
Speaker 2: By the way, completely gone the sisod he is once again from Westport, Connecticut.
Speaker 1: What do you mean Matchew's Do you mean it's like you don't know you should not be riding a motorcycle?
Speaker 2: Sean?
Speaker 1: Do you have some disdain for him? My disdain for you? Disdain. So then we come back into Turner's apartment, Sean and Turner walk in. Turner is frustrated. Nice way to spend a date, A little dinner, a little wine, and a little prison. Sean jokes, at least you got dinner. Turner isn't playing. He says it was stupid and dangerous, and he was a dangerous stunt. He polt what if he lost control of the bike, and Sean yells, I didn't. Turner reminds him he could have hurt someone and Turner would be legally responsible. Sean says, Oh, that's why you're so upset. You don't want to be legally responsible for me. Turner says, that's a cheap shot, and you know it. Sean fights back and asks why he took his sweet time to file for guardianship. Turner wonders if this is what everything's about, and Sewn argues, this is what everything's about. It's my life. Chet and Turner both have their lives, and Sean feels like he has nothing. Turner says he would have taken him to see his dad, and Sean says he's tired of feeling like a guest wherever he goes. Turner understands going from a single guy to raising a fifteen year old was not on my to do list. I offered to get us a bigger place. You don't want any part of it. And in this moment, I really loved turn I love Turner, but I feel like in this episode he talked a little too much to Sean about all of the changes it's meant for him. I felt like, I love that this is a major life change for Turner, and Turner should talk about it with Eli. I can even see him talking about it with Sorry, but I did feel like this is would withhold some of this, you would make Sean feel bad.
Speaker 3: That's that's the same thing about, you know, subtext becoming texts Like I think if Turner held back in these scenes, it would be it would be. It would would require more work on the audience's part to lean in and understand his motivations. But you're right, it could have very easily been in a side with Eli.
Speaker 1: Someone else a great to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a scene with Eli would have been nice. I think they just ran out of time, you know. Plus we get the the war of the leather jacket sensitive leather jacket wearing guys.
Speaker 1: He's got his brown.
Speaker 3: Leather, I got my black leather jacket, and we are we are sensitively coming.
Speaker 1: At each other sensitive fast. Yeah. Well I'm hurt. Yeah, but I'm more hurt. But I'm a kid guy. Guys are both from New York. So Sean snaps back, Well, you've had the guardianship papers for months and you still haven't filled them out yet. Turner's eye, Well, maybe we're both afraid to make this living arrangement permanent. Sean agrees, maybe they are, and we get a nice little emotional music swell to end the motion of music's well, well, you guys are both in leather jackets. And then we're in the Matthews living room. Corey answers the door and it's Sean with a box in a Duffel bag, saying he's got good news. Cory Corey reminds him there's no such thing as good news. Before I've had my grape nets. I love old man Corey.
Speaker 2: It's one of my favorite, pretty wonderful ye.
Speaker 1: Sean says he's going to store some stuff at the house before he settles in. He's moving back to the trailer park, not with his mom or dad, but with uncle Mike. Corey reminds Sean, you said you would only make one more move, and it had to be the right one. There's a lot of laughing here between you and Ben. Did you see that writer where I wasn't sure I couldn't part of the scene or not it's what I wrote, Yeah, it wasn't. It didn't feel like you guys were breaking. It was a choice. There were choices to be laughing through some of this, and I was like, was it a break that felt less controlled? The same thing? Was it a way to really a recovery take?
Speaker 3: We had already broken this multiple takes, and this is the one that we held it. Probably they were like, fine, let's move on, just keep it. Yeah, we'll just laugh through it. And we made it part of heart and I usually noticed, but.
Speaker 1: Notice I literally wrote, was this a break or a choice? Because it's a recovery. It's a recovery take. So funny Sean tells him he can't keep waiting for his dad to come home. He has to get on with his life. At the trailer park, he'll be surrounded by family and the FBI agents who surround them. And then there's a little bit more of an upbeat music swell here. So now we're telling us how to feel. And then we're in the Matthew's kitchen. Eric runs down the stairs to see his parents eating breakfast. Amy asks how studying went with Jeff and Eric responds, nagnagnag, what are you my mom? And Amy sarcastically says, yes, what a joy it is. Eric apologizes and says he shouldn't take his anger out on her. That's what Corey's for. Eric jokingly yells for Cory. Eric explains, I recite the entire history of Europe to this kid, and he tells me I can burp through my ears, and then he does it. And Jeff has twenty colleges begging him to come there, and Eric can't even get into one. Alan assures him he will get into college and he will have earned it.
Speaker 2: I just want to say very quickly, I love Amy and Allen so so much, and I'm getting a little tired of only seeing them.
Speaker 1: In the kitchen.
Speaker 2: It says, the only time you see him is in the kitchen somebody's running in.
Speaker 3: I think it's that way for the rest of the show, until they'll never see their bedroom again. I know it never will be in the living room, even like it's so funny that they've just.
Speaker 1: Been we saw them making out so much in season. Now they just eat a lot of baked goods.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well maybe so you you know.
Speaker 1: But you get gotten heavy.
Speaker 3: And then they used to make an effort to date nights or there was a real sense of this like ongoing. Yeah, and even just them how to parent, like that's gone away.
Speaker 2: It is, it's just you run in there in the kitchen. You have a couple of lines they take, and I just think about.
Speaker 3: How boring that must have been for them.
Speaker 1: As as I couldn't imagine, you know.
Speaker 3: Just a sounding board for these teenage actors to do their storylines.
Speaker 1: And you're like, yeah, I know. And the scene could have taken place at night after the studying, you know, they couldn't. We could have walked in on them, Megan out.
Speaker 2: Sure, or in the living room or in the back or sideyard or something, I mean, just different.
Speaker 1: So Eric thinks maybe he has an untapped talent. He picks up an apple and pretends it's a basketball. He shoots for the sink and sends it right through the window, saying he shoots, he sucks. Do you remember this, Will, No, It's so crazy.
Speaker 2: I do not.
Speaker 1: I can't believe. When the minute I saw the glass break, I thought, oh, Will's gonna definitely remember something about that.
Speaker 3: I didn't remember the glass actually breaking when the doll was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I don't remember. I didn't remember anything about this storyline. I didn't remember anything about this episode. I didn't remember the title, none of it, None of it, all right, I.
Speaker 3: Have a feeling because I didn't really remember this episode either. Now that I know that we were going to Florida, I have a feeling we rushed through this episode knowing that we were going to Florida, So we were all preparing, like you think about it, as a crew, as a as a cast. We would have known at this point for sure about all the Florida stuff where we were still and Will would have been so pissed.
Speaker 1: That he's not going see that he's making right.
Speaker 3: And that's why trains directing this too, because McCracken was prepping to direct all Florida right for two parts.
Speaker 1: Will checked out. Will checked out. He was like, this sucks, It's probably great. It was really awesome. Imagine it was a fun trip. So and sticks out his hand saying he pays Eric, slaps money in his hand and announces earburbs it is then and he walks off. How much are windows that Eric just has the amount of money necessary in his packet. Windows are expensive as hell too. It's like I got little tiny squares, probably one hundred and forty bucks. And yeah, he's not working at the grocery store anymore, is he. I don't know, I'm not getting paid to tutor, probably not. Corey enters, and he tells his parents when Eric goes off to college, that big room of ours is going to seem mighty lonely. Alan wonders, what's your ankle? Corey comes clean. Sean needs a new place to live. Amy asks about mister Turner's, but Corey says it's not really his home. Alan explains there's always room for Sean here, but it would just be another temporary solution. Amy thinks he needs something permanent. And this is where I was like, wait, I think I may be the only one who didn't already think we had decided this was a permanent situation with Sean and Turner. I was just like, but you know, I can see how the whole idea for Sean would still be, But when does my dad come back? But if his dad doesn't come back, I thought we were all in agreement. You were living with Turner. It's also been an here. I mean, it's like, I know, a whole year. So Alan asks what what Sewan's dad has to say about this, and Corey says, who knows? No one talks in that family. Alan says, if Sean were his son, he'd like to be consulted about his future, and the table is now set for Blake Clark's glorious return to Boy Meets World. And then we get a new exterior of the roadside diner. Corey and tapenga who new character, A learn new character this girl and she shows him or anything about that like page twenty two, Age twenty two, unnecessarily here we are. She walks into the bar, looking very out of place because this place has a lot of shady characters who wear plaid and they have sleeveless jean shirts tooool. Corey tells her to act natural, and she says, okay, but I'm not going to spit's funny. I like it. Cory scans the bar and doesn't see Sean's at anywhere. To Pang is ready to go back on the bus. That's how you know they didn't take a motorcycle get there there, he uses, because they are on a mission. Corey walks away into Pega Praise. I really hope I don't have to use the bathroom. Corey approaches the pool table and taps a gentleman on the shoulder. Everyone nearby stares at him silently, and he continues, now that I've broken the ice, anyone here Noah guy named chet hunter. The man responds by rubbing the blue chalk on Corey's nose. Corey thanks the man he did forget to chalk his nose today. A couple starts arguing at the pool table, and the woman walks right up to Corey and says, you look like you know how to treat a woman, right. Corey's only able to muster out, oh tingle.
Speaker 3: It's a bumber that the guy can't have any lines right. There is the classic like you don't have to pay for a guest star. She just has to like finish a fight. We just hear her like last line, and the other guy just like or even the chalk guy doesn't get saved.
Speaker 1: She asks if he knows how to dance, and he says, teach me please. She pulls him in and they start to slow dance. Then to Haannga walks over and asks Cory if he really thinks this is a productive use of their time. The woman turns to tell Tapanga she found Corey first, and to Penga scoffs, don't make me laugh. The woman asks if she'd like to take this outside and to Pega yells, yeah, I would, and Corey giggles to himself and says, oh, this is great. And then we see Chet busting a table when he notices Corey, and he says, Lord, love a duck. Is that who I think it is? Corey says it's me, Corey Matthews. Chet is disappointed. Never mind, never mind, never mind. Corey reminds him he's Sean's friend. Chet's happy to see him and says, step into my office, which is just an empty table. He asks Cory if he thinks what he has in his hand his pie, because he got it out of the dirties. It's either that or dim sum. Corey asks if Chet is working there. He says he is until he pays off some parking tickets. Then he's back on the road looking for his lovely wife Verna. He asks Corey if he's ever been married, and Corey tells him he's fifteen. Chet assures him, don't you give up hope. Verna and I were sixteen before we got hitched. She wanted to wait until she got out of the navy. Man. Blake Clark is funny with every single line. Every line just every line, he's let's do the math, because doesn't Jack is older than me and my half brother. Really, this is where you're going with it? I don't we don't even remember.
Speaker 3: Really, so Verna is not his mom? Vern is Verna's not Jack's mom.
Speaker 1: Right, but she has your mom? No, she's not.
Speaker 3: If he got married at sixteen? What Verna's not Shawn's mom either? No?
Speaker 2: I think isn't that what we find out later that she's I don't think she's shun Let's.
Speaker 1: Keep track, write it down. Let's do what our writers could not do. I'm doing it, actually, keep track, keep put it in a notebook. Put in journal, your notebook, mister German. I'm on hot, professor, add it to your journal, professor. Jack continues, So Cortes, what brings you up here? Corey says, Sean's confused and he really misses his dad. So is Tepega? Still fighting? The local outside is taking he's going on there right, Andrey doesn't care. He thinks it's great and he's fine with it. He brings her out here.
Speaker 2: Fifteen year old is fighting a local twenty to thirty something year old outside the truck stop.
Speaker 1: But he's having a nice conversation. He's of it, Yeah, exactly. We see who his real friend is. Jet says, I miss him too. He is a good boy. Corey tries convincing him to come back for Sean, but Chet thinks he's better off where he is. Turner sends him Sean's report cards, tests, and a picture of Sean with his new girlfriend. We think this is still Larissa. Yeah, that's right. That's why I said, no girlfriend. Who's that? It's got to be right through it. It's the only one that's ever been set up as a girlfriend, So that's what I was figuring. I figure it has to be Larissa. Corey makes it a point that mister Turner is great for Sean, but he is his friend, not his father. He continues as the camera shakes and zooms out of it. Did you guys notice the camera move? Yeah, h yeah, there's a little bit of like an awkward It was a bobble, Yeah, shake, it was a bobble. There was shake, a bibble and a yeah, if you love him, you would come back for him. Chet pauses and says, I love him. I love him so much, I can't go back. He gets up and says, tell Sean. His daddy says hey, and then Pega and the other woman walk in together seemingly happy, and she tells Topanga, you tease that hair, you'd be six feet tall to Pega gives in and tells Luanne she'll do it. Luanne turns to Corey and tells her in her Southern accent, lamb chop, you have another cup of coffee. This may take a while, and we walk up, so hold on.
Speaker 3: So he just ends up in jail with Sean, right, yeah, he gets he So think of this like what I don't understand then, Like, why couldn't the story be that Corey convinces him to go back for.
Speaker 1: Because it's one of the things I mentioned at the beginning of the episode. Chet I think uses that as an excuse to have Turner pay off his bail. He was never on his way to Sean because he says he was on his way to Turner's place, but he got pulled over sitting on a bunch of park tickets. I think that's a lie, and he was just leaving town again.
Speaker 3: So Corey just completely fails in his mission to convince him.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't think anything would have convinced chest Chet. I think Chet thinks it's what he's saying is true, that he might love me, but I'm no good for him, and so it is. We'll talk about it when we get into the police station stuff, because I think there are a lot of subtle but if you're really paying attention, signs that Chet is using this as an opportunity to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's so interesting. So it has this like wrap up sitcom structure, but it's all built on the coincidence that he gets arrested the same nights that Shawn does.
Speaker 1: And he's confused as like whoa huh, and then gets talked into staying by Sean, and he only really says for sure he's doing it when he realizes he has somebody who will bail him out.
Speaker 3: But it's weird then to have the Corey moment because it doesn't pay often anyway, except that Corey thinks it does, and Sewan.
Speaker 1: Correct thinks it does, and that Sean thinks it and maybe later in another episode we'll find out that it didn't, that that was never his plan and that he had a different plan. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's still trying to get Verna back or do you think he's really just running from Sean.
Speaker 1: No, he said he just yeah, he just he wants his own life. He wants to be a childless jingle man. Yeah, I mean children are difficult.
Speaker 2: Well, not to mention that he has three that we know of, right, yeah, so he doesn't see any of.
Speaker 1: Them, right, Yeah, he doesn't seem to love Eddie anymore. So then we're in the school hallway. Eric stops mister Feoenie in the hall and says, before you grade the midterms. Phoeni inter repts him, saying he already has and will The little gasp you do in the middle of the line is so funny. Yeah, Phoene says, I already, haven't you go? It's so good. Eric tells Phoene he worked really hard with Jeff, but you can't teach somebody if they don't want to learn, mister, and he pulls out Jeff's test and Eric notices the grade you gave Jeff a C plus. Phoenie corrects him, No, you did. Eric thought Jeff was a lost cause. Phoene says he doesn't believe in lost causes, and he hands Eric his graded school test. Eric tells Pheenie. He didn't finish his sentence, he just put a uh what so so good? That was funny? Yeah, yeah, Pheenie reveals that's his grade. Eric begins to give a long winded speech thanking everybody, when mister Feoene cuts him off. Oh give it up, man, it's just one test. However, congratulations. Eric puts two and two together and figures out mister Feenie's master plan to help him and Jeff both achieve better test scores. Eric calls Phoene a sly slide dog. Eric walks away, and Phoene shakes his head. Got lucky on that one. Yeah, yeah, that's just a story. That's the story.
Speaker 3: It's the story you kind of thought was going to happen.
Speaker 1: Did you notice the watch you're wearing in this? Was this your own watch? I did notice the watch I was wearing.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's the wardrobe watch that I wore for three seasons, which Eric gets in like the second episode, trying to set it. Yeah, I think it's that same one, and it never worked. It was just like there were no works inside, so it was just this dead digital watch that I was wearing on. But yes, I did actually notice that that along with my gigantic shirt it is. It's like everybody, it's like I went to the Talking Heads concert, took all his wardrobe and just was wearing that everywhere.
Speaker 1: So yeah, giant clothes all of a sudden, giants. So funny. Well, then we surprisingly find ourselves back in the police station. Chet walks in and we see Sean. He's shocked and he asks dad. Chet's just as surprised Sean. Sean asks, what are you doing here? Chet tells him, I guess I could ask you the same thing. He gives Sean some advice smile whenever he finds himself in custody. Nobody ever Billy Club a happy man, Every Billy Club to happy man. So funny. Sean asks how Chet even managed to find him here, and Chet changes the subject better question how'd you find yourself here? Sean admits he moved out of Turner, so his plan was to move in with Uncle Mike, but his trailer's gone. A cop found Sean sleeping in the park and brought him into the station. Chet asks if they turned on the swirly lights when they brought him in. Those are fun Sewan asks his dad if he's had any luck finding his mom, and Chet says he saw her a couple of months ago and he had her cornered in Mississippi, but she dove off the riverboat. The woman swims like a seal, he says. Sewn asks how long he's going to keep chasing her, and Chet responds, I just want to give her enough time to clear her head. Sean reminds him it's been a whole year, and Chet jokes, woman's got a big head, but then he admits it's true. If your mama wanted me to catch her, she would be caught. So Sean asks what's next. Chet says, we get you out of here and back to Turner's where you belong, and Sean suggests maybe he can stick around here for a while, and Chet says, there ain't nothing in this town for me, and Sean responds, yeah, there's me.
Speaker 2: Oh great moment, hmm, great moment my heart.
Speaker 1: Chet explains, I left you at Turners because in my mind it was a better place, and Sean replies it was a good place, but I wouldn't call it better. It wasn't you. It wasn't home. Besides, I need you, and I'm thinking you need me. Chet reminds him, I ain't that good of a cook, and Sean smiles, you can't be any worse than mom. Chet and Sean they laugh about that, and Chet says, I'm gonna do something I haven't done since you were a very little boy. Sean excitedly asks in a job, and Chet tells him heck no, and then he gives him a big hug. Boy meets world does that better than anybody, breaking up the super sentimental moment with a nice laugh, and then the police officer announces, Hunter, you've been bailed So notice, up until this point, other than Chet saying I'm not much of a cook, he has not in any way implied he's going to stick around and that anything Sean has said has changed his mind. And then he says. The cop says, Hunter, you've been bailed out. Chet asks which one and he says the little one. Then Turner storms in and sees the pair of Hunters. Chet says, look at me, Teach, I'm a bad seed. I was on the way to your place when I ran into a speed trap and a pile of unpaid parking tickets. And I don't believe that story. I do not believe in any way he was going. We know he wasn't. He already says, let's get you back to Turner's. So unless he was going to go to Turner's just because Corey had convinced him, he should at least say, hi, I don't buy this story at all that that's where he was going. So Turner asks who's bailing Chet out? And Chet says, well, he'd be much obliged for the help so he can get out of there and take care of his boy. Turner asks what he mean. Chet excitedly announces, I'm staying. Wouldn't be much of a father if I didn't. Then he tells Turner his job is done. Seawan asks to talk to John alone for a minute. Chet walks away, but says I'd step outside, but they would shoot me. Turner assures Sean, I don't even need to ask. I can tell this is what she wanted. Sean smiles in relief. It's just like we said, we knew this wasn't forever. Turner shrugs. A roof and a bed, Shawn adds and a good friend. Turner smiles a nod, saying the best. Sean thanks him, adding you put up with a lot. They do a little bro handshake and Turner tells him I'd do it again, and we get a nice little freeze frame with Chet perfectly placed behind Turner and Sean. And that's when I was like, I don't feel good about this. I'm supposed to feel good.
Speaker 3: It's resolution, but it's not really.
Speaker 1: It's just and we know it is just beginning. And how it's all going to fall apart, I don't know, but I know it's going to and I love it. So then we're in Turner's apartment. Sean comes down the stairs carrying a box of his stuff.
Speaker 3: Corey helps me, so that is the bedroom. That's where Sean was sleeping. Apparently SE's now we know.
Speaker 1: So Chet tells Sean, I'll meet you downstairs. One more parking ticket in our home gets the Denver Bootell you, Chet yells out the window. Hey you kids, get off my front porch. Corey wishes Sean good luck. Sean thanks him for tracking down his dad, and Corey responds, we're friends. We help each other out. That's what we do. Sean admits there's something he's wanted to do for a long time, invite Corey to his house for dinner. Corey asks who's cooking, and Sean tells him you are. Corey thinks about it in answers huh.
Speaker 4: He does the huh yeah second, the second personal life.
Speaker 1: He was doing it all the time, all the time, And that's definitely this.
Speaker 3: I love it so much.
Speaker 1: I'm there. And then Chet returns, this is just about it. As he unplugs a TV. Sean interrupts, Dad, that's Turner's TV. Chet tells him, you've been here a year. Besides, teacher shouldn't be watching television anyways, and he walks right out the door with it, and Sean follows. I did like it. I like the episode. Can't wait to see where it goes. And he steals the TV just like he steals the episode exactly, and he steals your heart.
Speaker 3: He steals my heart away. Yeah, he's still a criminal. It's actually it all kind of works.
Speaker 1: I know, I like it. I like it, and I liked the b storyline too. I think, you know, yeah, I sure had there been a little little twisty twys twist, something that we didn't see coming, as opposed to like, well we see this coming, yep, you saw it, and it was and it's good. But yeah, I could see that. But I still I really like this episode. I really do. And it is the most drama you could fit into something that's truly still a sitcom.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think the comedy is say, you know, the fact that it's a comedy is Ben and and Blake bringing it.
Speaker 1: Like Ben and Blake bringing it. Yep.
Speaker 3: They get a laugh like every other line, and that's so necessary.
Speaker 1: Didn't hate it, but it wasn't my favorite. That's what I would say. You hate Sean, just admit it. Sean is awful Sean.
Speaker 2: I can't stand him, and I hope he ends up on the streets. That's why I'm watching is because I hope everybody did it.
Speaker 3: Up in the streets. He just got barely save. You had to beg for his father to watch, sleeping in a park and then sleeping in the park. His uncle took off, his mom took off. Turner wasn't ready to be his legal guardian, not enough for me, and now his dad has taking him under false pretenses.
Speaker 1: We don't know that yet, We don't know that, don't feel it, we can feel it. I think it's going to work out great. I think people will dig it. I think people will dig it. Join us for our next episode recap Season three, episode twenty one, The Happiest Show on Earth feels like We're going to Florida Disney World. You're gonna sing every live line as always. You can follow us on Instagram Pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails Pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: And we have March Drunken March, the Drug Steve.
Speaker 1: El Merch, see some Boston Merchant and Boston March. They want tone pod Meets Worldshow dot com writer send us out. We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 3: Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, TaRaSu Bosch, producer, Maddie Moore engineer and boy Meets World Superman Easton All. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram, I'm at Podmets World Show or email us at podmetsworldshowat gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: MHM