Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always for tuning in. If you are a fan of brain fever, you are, if you are consumed with thoughts of consumption, this is the episode for you, folks. Shout out super producer mister Max Williams.
Speaker 2: What man, this got me thinking. There's a bunch that we're not gonna get to in this episode. But man, there's some fun sounding diseases out there.
Speaker 3: Fun and quotation fingers.
Speaker 2: I guess we don't talk about pink eye, but does that sounds like the cutest of ailments?
Speaker 3: You got a little pink eye?
Speaker 1: I I uh, Ben Bolin, as a color blinds person, have had the enviable position of having pink eye and not knowing what pink eye looks like.
Speaker 2: Truly, Ben, it's just kind of bloodshot and watery. It's it's it's much. It's not pink at all, And when you learn how you get it, it's really.
Speaker 3: It's poop poop in the eye.
Speaker 1: Right, everybody touch her but shut shout out to Shout out to mister Noel Brown as well. Our hour avengers are assembled. As you might be able to tell we're slowly working our way out of our dirty humor phase.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: We went to the depths of it, the nadir of it with James. Oh sure, Yes, all sorts of descriptions of farts.
Speaker 2: It's sort of a trickle its way down into our text exchanges.
Speaker 3: Hasn't it been has a bit? Yes, it has been little farty texts here and there.
Speaker 1: You know, something for the Museum of Podcasts when our time is done, or for hr depending or for both, for both really, if we're being honest, that's why we were so thrilled. Max is our research associate for this one. Look, we talked about it in the past. The English language is weird. It's colonizer language. It's kind of a pirate language. They just took stuff willy nilly and kind of freestyled the rules and a lot of stuff in this language sounds very funny. Turns out diseases are no different, especially the further back you go in the past. We got to give a shout out to Esther Inglis r Kel from Gizmoto, who had a lot of the initial guiding force for this brief in this episode.
Speaker 2: Today, dare we say inspiration ten serious medical problems with cute see names. You know, here's one that you know a lot of times on our other show stuff they don't want you to know, Or at least, we used to do more of these kind of fakemmercials, you know, for stuff that kind of pertained to the theme of the show, brought to you by our buddies that Illumination Global Unlimited and oftentimes Ben. You would rattle off a list of side effects and such for things that were maybe a potential faux medic medication of some kind, you know, satirical medication. Hell, you don't even have to go that far. Pharmaceutical commercials are pretty satirical in and of themselves, but you always throw in dropsy as one of the potential ailments that might be caused by said fictional medication. I've never really fully known what it was, and esther inglis Arcle points out that it sounds like more like one of Peter Rabbit's siblings than a disease.
Speaker 3: You know, what is it?
Speaker 2: Flopsy mopsie cottontail sort of the outlier. Dropsy would be right at home, they would, It would at least fit the rhyme scheme.
Speaker 1: It also makes me think of Cropsy, which is just a terrifying documentary.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, somebod us who have never really fully known what that was about either are just sound spooky.
Speaker 3: And is it blair witchy?
Speaker 2: Is is it really a documentary or is it sort of like a Faulk cumentary.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not gonna ruin it for people, but it is technically so I guess the best way to describe it is it's kind of like a documentary that goes in a direction the filmmaker.
Speaker 3: Did not expect. Okay, so it's not it's.
Speaker 1: Got blair witch vibes, but it is true sort of like that one about tickling.
Speaker 3: You see that? God, yeah, that was frightening.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it, but I know that it does that very thing. It's someone that sets out to make a charming documentary about tickling rings and professional tickling or tickling fetishists, and then it goes into like child kidnapping or something crazy like that.
Speaker 3: I think I'm exaggerate and assumed identity. What is dropsy?
Speaker 1: Ben Drops the not to be confused with priapism, is a kind of swelling known as a dema and bonus points to any of the nerds who already knew what priapism is.
Speaker 2: Why swelling joke ising and they leave Italy leave.
Speaker 1: It in that forever is the problem. Doctor, I'm way too turned on. And he's like, you gotta stop listening to shout a late at night man.
Speaker 2: Or ridiculous history, because we've also been known to cause some indefinite directions, especially during the James Joyce episode.
Speaker 1: Oh Boy, Oh Boy, have we ever? That's where our pal Alex circa shout out. We'll see if Alex gets on air more often. But uh so, that's where we had to warn our our coworker Alex. We're like, hey, not all of our episodes are like this. Please understand, we are trying to be adults. Adema is or edema is a swelling caused by too much fluid, too many cooks of fluid trapped in the tissues of your body, and unlike priaptism, it can affect all parts of your body.
Speaker 3: Any part can get that smoke.
Speaker 2: Doesn't a demo also sound like it should be the name of a tool album?
Speaker 1: It does, really surprised it's not. It feels like Maynard has some opinions about that already, but noll. I think a DIMA is more likely to show up in your extremities, like your legs, your.
Speaker 2: Feet, Yeah that's right, feet, hands, fat neck. No, I'm kidding, I made that one up, but yeah. It also sometimes is indicated by the symptom of having stretchy or shiny skin, swelling or puffiness of the tissue like underneath the skin again, especially in the arms and legs, belly or abdominal swelling that is beyond you know, just the typical pooch that that many of us are blessed with. And also a feeling of leg heaviness, so like a bit of a leaden foot kind of center.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now all of a sudden, you feel like your legs are two suitcases you're carried around.
Speaker 3: And you got it.
Speaker 1: Need for speed, baby. And here's what happens. So, this dropsy occurs when tiny blood vessels in your bodies, aka the capillaries, start to leak fluid. The fluid that they leak will build up in surrounding tissue, and that leak per the Mayo clinic leads to the swelling Mayo clinic. Also, they're better, in my opinion than WebMD. WebMD everything is cancer the Mayo Clinic a little more reasonable, and they say, look, you can get dropsy from sitting in one position too long. That's happened to a lot of people with office jobs or during the pandemic eating too much salty food. And here's another one. This is the quote being pregnant. So that just just going to add that plot twist on one of the strangest and often most difficult parts of your life, ladies.
Speaker 3: I wanted to bring something up really quickly.
Speaker 2: It's it's sort of related, unrelatedly related, but it sort of speaks to this whole you know what di diseases speak to, if not the condition of being human art installation that I think it's somewhere in Scandinavia, and I'm one hundred percent sure exactly where, but I only just now found out about it. But speaking of leaking fluid, I don't know if you guys have heard of this. It is this robot hydraulic arm that is slowly, has been for years, slowly leaking hydraulic fluid, and its own only function is to sweep the hydraulic fluid back into itself and collect it's.
Speaker 3: Oh I saw this recently, Yeah it is, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Wild, and it is like very if you think about it, Like what better metaphor for like human condition than that. You know, we're all just slowly leaking fluid and trying our best to gather it back up and shove it back into ourselves, knowing that one day the clock will run out.
Speaker 1: I love sisaphia and art, that's what I call that stuff. Like I love figure where the you know the little mechanism where the you put something on a box and that opens up grabs it. Yeah, or or you have a switch that turns on the mechanism that turns itself off and closes the box.
Speaker 2: Is the is the little crane that dips its beak in the water kind of kind of in that vein or that's I.
Speaker 3: Think that's kind of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a kissing cousin, and this cousin at the very least.
Speaker 3: It's it's a dropsy cousin. We work on it.
Speaker 1: But this this is a serious condition. And uh, being pregnant is a serious condition, but so is dropsy. Of course they're very different conditions, but they will have an effect on your life. Also to that point about our good friends at Illumination Global Unlimited and their predilection for fine print. This condition dropsy can be a known side effect of some medicine, So you might get high blood pressure medication and the doctor might say, hey, just for a heads up, man, have you heard about dropsy?
Speaker 3: Pull up the Wikipedia. Yeah, it's it's it's it's a good read.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of another one that not going to get to in depth, but I think it's worth a mention. Gout is another condition that has a sort of a silly name and causes certain types of inflammation or like I believe it's urate crystals that accumulate in your joints, and it can cause all kinds of inflammation and swelling in the foot and the extremities I believe, but I think it's largely in the foot.
Speaker 1: It's it's arthritis, Like you said, too much uric acid.
Speaker 2: Which which is usually a symptom of eating poor a poor diet.
Speaker 1: I associate it with very prominent historical figures like the kings, the emperors, that's right, because they add all that rich you know, potted meat and stuff. In Franklin famously a gout enthusiasts.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a really good episode of King of the hill where Bobby gets gout because he becomes obsessed with this delicatessen that opens like in their mall or something, and he's just constantly eating like really rich you know, deli meats and like, you know, what is it, like liver worst and stuff. And he develops gout as a child, which is usually not when you would develop goutgut as sort of a condition of more, more more seasoned individuals.
Speaker 1: It's like a lifestyle condition also to amend it very quickly. Napoleon. I'm referencing Napoleon three, and I gotta tell you before we move on. I have a pretty good friend of mine in the Atlanta area, and a few years ago he told me he had gout, and I was because I didn't know much about it except what I've read of historical leaders. I was low key impressed, and I started treating him a little bit like an aristocrat because I was like, that's a rich person disease.
Speaker 2: I wonder if what's our same friend, because I know a friend, an Atlanta friend, who also has gout and it has definitely caused him to have to reassess his diet and and stay away from certain things. Wouldn't that be a trip if it was the same person, we will we will not name names to protect the gout.
Speaker 3: It right right?
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, no one's above about of the gout, and it may indeed be more prevalent than we think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh man.
Speaker 2: So oh well, one last thing, the gout to a lot of uh preserved seafood can cause it because of a lot. I think it's very high in salt and things like cod and canned tuna, and if you eat too much of that stuff, it can you can develop gout.
Speaker 1: Finally, for anybody who's like, man, this gout sounds like a hot new thing. How do I get in on the ground floor?
Speaker 3: Bro? Have you been getting ads for like fancy tinned fish?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, you're talking about fish wife, that's what uh huh yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I'd tempted. And I find the idea of tinned fish disgusting. But when they slap a fancy looking, colorful logo on it and use the word, you know, like gourmet, I'm like, sign me up, send me those sardines and the mail.
Speaker 1: I kid you not about Once a year I go through and intelle it's because of my prepper stuff. I go through another tinned survival foods phase, and tin fish is so popular in Europe. In Japan, there's a oh god, maybe we do an episode about it. There's a chain of bars called Mister Canzo and their can Zumies and what they do They just sell canned food and they heat it up for you.
Speaker 2: But yeah, man, but there's arobably some nice options though, right, like some different flavors and all kinds of difference.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's some great stuff, but then there's also some stuff that Americans would find pretty disturbing, like canned bear is like canned ballue.
Speaker 2: They've always wanted to eat the bar rather than having the bar eat me, so to.
Speaker 1: Sew it up, Like I fear that, I feel the opposite of you when it comes to again. It's like a continuing, decade long, seasonal fascination with tin fish because I love the idea of it.
Speaker 3: I feel like it should.
Speaker 1: Be it's it can be considered kind of fancy in Europe too, But then when I open it, I'm always thinking, man, I could have just gone to the grocery store and gotten you know, a fresh fish.
Speaker 2: Or you know, it's definitely not the apocalypse times. Yet I could have just saved this, you know, for when it really counted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I feel that even the most opportunity kind of you know.
Speaker 1: When when we filmed we filmed something for stuff, they'll once you know where. I was unpacking in MRI the whole time. In the back of my head, I'm like, I better know regret this, I better get my crap together. I got to immediately replace this what happens if the world ends? Because I'm a crazy person, so we.
Speaker 3: All go a little mad sometimes.
Speaker 2: We mentioned that that dropsy can be a sign of more serious stuff and that you should you should should if you are experiencing the shiny skin, any of these inflammations of the extremities, you should go see a doctor because it could potentially be a you know, a symptiment and of itself, especially if it's accompanied by shortness of breath, any kinds of chest pains, or irregular heartbeat.
Speaker 1: And luckily, so what we're going to do with LI is we're going to talk about symptoms. We're also going to talk about how they are usually mitigated, treated.
Speaker 3: Or cured.
Speaker 1: We are not medical professionals. Do see a medical professional if you suspect you have any of these symptoms or filling discomfort.
Speaker 3: I'm glad we got that in there.
Speaker 1: We should have said it at the top, but yes, we are not doctors of medicine, so how do you cure this? Luckily, sometimes it goes away on its own. Other treatments might include wearing spanks, kid, you not wearing compression garments, that's right, and trying to trying to leverage your circulatory system, so raising the affected area higher than your heart. You can get medication to flush out that extra fluid. A big thing, just like you mentioned with gout, A big thing is changes in diet or maybe finding different medications if the side effects lead to a DMA. And Max, I fully agree with you. You have a new here in the brief where you said something we all learned recording podcasts during the lockdown. Don't sit for extended periods. Get your steps in. I think all three of us live in houses with stairs, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well I know my studios in the basement, and I record here, work here for all of our stuff. Up and down yeah all day long at least forgot take it for granted, actually, but I definitely am up and down at least ten or thirteen times a day, if not more so, there's that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it. I love going, I love go.
Speaker 1: We've got so you guys haven't seen the new place, right, Yeah, you haven't seen this new place yet. It has an egregious number of patios, as for an apartment has two patios and a rooftop. And so, whenever I'm on a phone call, just so you guys know, because we do talk all the time, whenever I'm on a phone call and I sound like I'm I'm huffing a little bit, and I don't have the video on, I guarantee you guys, I'm just promping from the roof to the first floor and back back in, back and forth. I'm like a salmon. I'm like the the noble passage of the salmon. Has nothing to do with dropsy. You probably are wondering, folks, where does the name dropsy come from. It's time for one of our favorite things, a little bit of etymology.
Speaker 3: Azah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed, we're huge fans of etymology. Here on Ridiculous History, Miriam Webster traces the etymology of drops to a Middle English word, uh drop easy. I don't know why I said it, like Italian. It's Middle English, so let's call it drop drop Nope, how is the Middle English pronoun.
Speaker 3: There you go? Or which is actually short for a not that much longer word.
Speaker 2: It just has a weird why at the beginning, which would be a drop I guess right, yeah, yeah, so let's just shorten that easy to drop the which why could well be silent here too. It feels like what a silent why would do? But who knows into English is bonkers.
Speaker 1: I had to read, uh, Canterbury Tales, which is, you know, Chaucer's great unfinished work. It sounds like the Jabberwockie.
Speaker 3: You know, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: It's like it reminds reading the reading Canterbury Tales in the original version of English it's written in. It is exactly like hearing that song from that Italian guy who didn't know English, and he was like, this guy, what I've got? Okay, we've got to play hit me with one clip? Okay, so if you guys can see, uh, this guy looks sort of like a werewolf with glasses.
Speaker 3: Uh, let's fast forward to where he's actually singing to cut them off.
Speaker 2: Bat Yeah, now you're dead on man, it's like I always I said, jabberwocky vibes. But because it's always, it's all like ill swissing and pil will in the WHIPI dip in the sweet bee. You know, it's like, come on, man, what is this nonsense? I love it exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And do check out the rest of that the rest of that clip, because I believe it. I believe that song came about because the musicians said, Uh, these Italians, the Italian public, they just love English songs. It doesn't matter what you're saying. I could just make a song that sounds like that language and it would blow up. And he was right, He was all right with that one. And what might mystify some of us about the etymology here is and are actually from Latin a much more reasonable word hydropssis hydrop Okay, okay, I don't know why that seems like less of a twist than but I'm just looking for excuses to say at this point.
Speaker 2: And Ben, to your point about gout, I think this is also true of dropsy, that there are some notable individuals that were afflicted with this condition.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, we're looking at this, Uh Beethoven, it appears did not roll over as often as he should have and as a result, had a dema. Uh and then you know, uh famously not great President Andrew Jackson also had the dropsy.
Speaker 3: And uh.
Speaker 2: Also, when I hear drops the I think I'm gonna get the dropsy on you.
Speaker 3: You know, I feel like drop trou et cetera.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: This this however, look, folks, we we talked off air. We know this is probably going to be a two parter because there are a lot of these diseases and a lot of them have funny names. That's what we knew before we went into this. So we're not going to get to everything today, but we do want to introduce you to just a couple moore. Uh, here's the one that always confused me. I know somebody who got this hand, foot, and mouth disease, the combo meal of medical conditions.
Speaker 3: I've got heard we got to bring meals into it. But have you heard that kids can get this? Young kids? It's the most common young kids.
Speaker 2: Actually, you get in a similar way you get pink eye.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: I always thought it sounded like a condition for non human animals, like growing up, I always thought it was something you know they got on the farm.
Speaker 2: I think there's a version of it that that is that that is hoof and mouth disease, which is a farm animal version of this condition.
Speaker 3: If I'm not mistaken. Ah, good, so you're not wrong. It's interesting because the very similar named, but you cannot transmit them like you can't get the animal version of it. That's not called zoticonic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, potentially the COVID was potentially zoonotic. It's not related to foot and mouth disease, which is also called hoof and mouth disease.
Speaker 3: Jeez, guys, I'm started to think hands are sort of dirty or related.
Speaker 2: It's a hand in glove disease, which is a bizarre, unhealthy obsession with the music of Morrissey.
Speaker 1: Right right, or related to hand feet disease, which is a condition I made up where your feet slowly transformed into hands.
Speaker 2: Terrifying you wouldn't be able to balance. It's untenable. Then it's untenable.
Speaker 3: It's it's unreasonable. What kind of world are we living in?
Speaker 1: Well, we're living in a world with hand, foot and mouth disease still, and it's uh, it's got it's real. That's the street name the real name for this thing is we kid you not even worse, mister Brown. Do you want to do the honors on this one?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Uh sorry, Uh cocksacky, cocksacky man. I saw the funniest clip from I think it was like outtakes from between two ferns. Was Zach Galifanakis and he was talking to what he harre else in the other one Matthew McConaughey, and he goes, so, when you and Woody were both on the set of Drew Detective, wasn't there a concern that somewhere in the world a sack was not being hackied?
Speaker 3: I remember seeing that the McConaughey cracks up.
Speaker 1: You know that I love the I love the bloopers because they show you that everybody is actually having a good time for the most but not completely agree but addictcumber Batch, Uh so, if you didn't have your accent, do you think people would know that you're not.
Speaker 3: A good actor? That's very funny.
Speaker 2: These jokes are so good because they go they start, you think you know where they're going to go, and then they take you somewhere else completely and they're so quick.
Speaker 3: Kind of almost like norm McDonald's style.
Speaker 2: They are these little mini stories that are in joke form kind of.
Speaker 3: I think it's really brilliant stuff.
Speaker 2: So yeah, cocksacky, Ben tell us about cocksacky.
Speaker 1: Well, it's going to do a lot for stand up comedy. Cocksacky or cocksacky virus is the cause of hand foot mouth disease. It lives in the digestive track. It creates these blisters on your mouth, your tongue, your esophagus. As our pal Esther Inglis article points out, it's a real thing. But Esther says, quote, naming it cocksacky virus is like naming a planet uranus. Someone should have said something before it was made official. I tend to agree, But it's tough because cocksacky is a hilarious word, right, especially if you are a very high minded intellectual like all of us listening today. But it may not have anything to do with the sort of more body or lurid associations.
Speaker 2: Nope, but does not refer to any swimsuit area related things.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Instead, we'll get to that one in a second hand foot and mouth disease or HFMD to all the people unfortunate enough to have to deal with it, so often that they just made it an acronym HFMD. It's mild, it is contagious. Like we mentioned, it is common in very young children, and it's not something that has a specific treatment, which was which surprised me because it seems like it can, as you guys point out, be really common in kids. Why can't you fix it? It's been round long enough, they I think the solution is like the early days of COVID quarantining and washing your hands. I gotta I got a finger gun from Max, so I'm gonna take that. Yes, I feel so cool when people throw the finger gun.
Speaker 2: So symptoms of this quite silly signing disease are not silly at all. They include things like fever. You mentioned the sores, but also u sore throat, additional rashes that can appear on the buttocks, even soles of the feet. And it actually the name refers to the virus that causes it, which is of course, the COCKSACKI virus. This is all one word we're gonna hear about what COCKSACKI actually is. It's it's it's it's a little less remarkable than you might think, but also pretty funny as as to why it's called this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got to note something here.
Speaker 1: It may sound like it may be something we could get lost in the shuffle, but I'm really glad you pointed out that people can get these blister like lesions on the souls of their feet. Having any kind of injury on the souls of your feet is incredibly dangerous. It's also phenomenally uncomfortable. It's so dangerous in fact, that there used to be a specific type of torture used to punish people called bastinado. Have you guys heard of this. It's a punishment from the maritime days, or at least that's where I associate it.
Speaker 2: It sounds like ostinato, though, which is a musical term that I believe refers to kind of like very kind of clipped, sort of repetitive phrases and classical music.
Speaker 3: What is a bostonado? It is? This is frighteningly specific.
Speaker 1: It is the practice of beating the souls of someone's bare feet. It's kind of flogging, just delivered to the bottom of your feet so that you can't run away.
Speaker 3: Think about the evil sanctions.
Speaker 2: Fond of that they did it like to the whole like soccer team when they disapproved of their performance.
Speaker 1: I think so it's it's loved by terrible people throughout history, and it's been used all across the world just because it's so effective. But that's me just going out of the way to mention specific types of torture, which is a totally different episode.
Speaker 3: We got to stay hooked on this.
Speaker 1: Hoof foot and mouth disease thing ahead, foot and mouth, hand, foot of mouth. Yes, hoof foot and mouth is the one for shape shifters. The good thing is it's not zoonotic. And I think we've already very clearly implied that young children get it more often because it's in the digestive tract. They need diaper changes, they need help using the bathroom. They also tend to, you know, be very exploratory and putting their hands in their mouths and stuff, and they can't see germs. So until you develop object permanence, are germs even real? Or is that just a story your parents tell you because they're lame and they don't want you to have fun and poop yourself.
Speaker 3: Oh jeez, Louise.
Speaker 2: So we've been teasing a little bit that this kind of goofy sounding name ain't for nothing, right. A lot of these names come from perhaps old English translations, you know, the maybe scientists that discovered them. There's any number of reasons that a thing can be called what it is in the medical community. This one, however, is actually named after a pretty small town on the Hudson River where this Cocksacki virus was first isolated.
Speaker 1: Right, and isolated here doesn't mean that the disease he started in this place. It means that this was the location, like in this town, that's where they found the thing and were able to get it closely studied and able to point to it and say, okay, we've figured out the cause of handfoot, headfoot and mouth disease. Sorry, I keep wayed to call it hoof, foot and mouth disease.
Speaker 3: Now just the internal it, you know. Yeah, So okay.
Speaker 1: They get described by this guy who's named Gilbert Doldorf.
Speaker 3: He was, yeah, great name, great name.
Speaker 1: Gil He was looking into outbreaks in nineteen forty seven and upstate New York, and he was pretty sure these were outbreaks of something called polio militis UH. And through this investigation he figured out that Cocksacki virus named after COCKSACKI New York is the is the cause of ham foot and mouth disease. And there's an interesting rabbit hole here. This is like, you know how, there are a lot of small towns where they have the one thing that they're famous for. It like the one the festival, every festival, the particular type of macromain, whatever, the fourth largest frying pan, and so on, world's biggest Adirondack chair exactly. Koksacky is probably most well known for the Koksaki virus.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's kind of a bummer. I don't know if it's the pr they want, that's the one they got. Sometimes you just got to make do uh well.
Speaker 1: Max is an interesting note here, you say, as of twenty eighteen, Kokshaki's population is just north of eight thousand people, and there is quote no mention whether or not is the epicenter of the New York state pornography scene.
Speaker 3: Oh that's what they're That's what they're known for them. That could be their other thing. We're not sure yes or no. But wait wait, you can either confirm Nordon I confirmed Nordon nine. Yeah, but I'm dirty, dirty boy. I've been reading too much joy we just did that episode. Uh no, no, who can play?
Speaker 1: Do check out our James Joyce episode and also all of us also you guys, Maya Kulpa. I know I instant sometimes I instantly turned into like congressional investigator. I don't think that was necessary. It's like, so, mister Williams, you have an interesting notes here. How would you respond? Uh? Luckily, Luckily, these two conditions that we explored today are not fatal, and they are often going to go away on their own.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Small changes can help mitigate them. But that's not the story. With all the diseases, all the weird diseases, we're gonna cover more, I think in part two, because we're all having a lot of fun with this, we're gonna get to Ricketts, mumps, brain fever, and.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you. I gotta tell you guys.
Speaker 1: Uh, one of my favorites for years and years years has been consumption, entirely because of Doc Holliday and Tombstone.
Speaker 2: I will be your Huckleberry Ben. Thank you for asking. It's I like a lot of these disease. I like a lot of these diseases. Y'all can quote me on that. The ones that are like band names. There's like the mumps, you know, the consumption, the flu even you know, but like I think it gives it a lot of weight and gravitaze. When you add to the to the beginning of oh.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Nobody says, like, well they did you say the common cold, but no one says the cold it's a cold flu. Yeah, But like there is what is it that determines whether something is worthy of getting a the You never say the rickets. You might say I got a case of the rickets, a case of the say the rickets?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Ben, Do you guys have any theories about this? I'm intrigued.
Speaker 1: It's it's interesting because we see something similar. I can talk about how it happens in geography and geopolitics, Like you know, there are some places they're called the Gambia or the Ukraine.
Speaker 3: The Gambia. A lot of folks are moving away from that now.
Speaker 1: They don't care for it because, at least in the case of Ukraine, the argument is calling it the Ukraine seems to imply that it is just a region of another country.
Speaker 3: Like how you go to.
Speaker 1: Right, like how you go to the southwest or something, So I get that, but I don't think that's the same logic behind diseases. Maybe someone can help us with this, because honestly, I should have been looking this up, you guys, but instead I watched Tombstone and I went through list of doc holiday quotes.
Speaker 3: So that's on me. That's my bad.
Speaker 2: Well, a little bit of Tombstone trivia. I believe the guy that directed Tombstone is the father It might be not directed, it might be cinematographer, is the father of one of my current favorite weirdo directors, Panos Cosmotos behind the Beyond the Black Rainbow and Mandy and that awesome the visit, I believe is what it's called in the Goo Yamadultoro Cabinet of Curiosities. But yeah, his father I think directed Tombstone. Wow, John and breenco that's all I got about it. Just over your grave. Oh yeah, those are good, those are very quitable and uh and uh yeah, I think of al Kilmar did a really good job at portraying a man with the consumption exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed, agreed, And we hope that you have enjoyed this episode.
Speaker 3: Folks.
Speaker 1: Uh, this is coming to you hot fresh on a Thursday. We hope everybody has a good weekend. We will be back with more terrible real life diseases that we think have funny names.
Speaker 3: Thanks of course, mister.
Speaker 1: Max Williams, our super producer, our research associate. Thanks to Thanks to our own funny disease, Jonathan Strickland aka the Quist missed the heck out of him.
Speaker 3: The human stains. That's a book, isn't that? Bye bye Roth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one day, one day Jonathan might hear all these all these weird things we shout him out as at the end of episodes. I hope he doesn't get a compli compilation uh track of it, or maybe we should give it to him for you know. And into the year present. Thanks also to mister Alex Williams. Thanks to Alex Circa, we have an abundance of Alex's Alex i alexis.
Speaker 2: Indeed, Chris Rossiota is here and Spirit Jeff Coates and do please check out her new podcast called on Theme, which is a story about black storytelling in all its forms.
Speaker 1: Yes, thanks also to our pals over at Ridiculous Crime, Zarah and Elizabeth, producer Dave. Thanks to everyone for tuning in we can't wait to hang out and go find more ridiculous diseases. I've got to stop reading doc holiday quotes. I'm going to be coming in hot with a terrible holiday impression in the next episode.
Speaker 3: Ah, you do you, buddy, and we'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.