Speaker 1: Welcome to money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's to show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry.
Speaker 1: Decision make because it's what he likes to do. It's what he likes to share.
Speaker 2: Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money making Conversations.
Speaker 1: Here we come in the legal profession.
Speaker 3: There are contracts out there you should have worn too, and a lot of people try to act. Lady, know what a contract is and try to read the contract themselves and a comma or the word or or the word and can make a difference in what a contract means. Here to talk about contracts, talk about to strike, talk about acting, talk about what's going on in the world of entertainment. She's Houston based. Please work with the money Making Conversation masterclass. The one and only attorney Jayleen Max.
Speaker 4: How you doing, Jayleen, I'm doing fine. Thanks again for that wonderful intro and boy, I'm so glad to be back because you are you about to talk about a big deal in the entertainment industry. Contract so important that everybody knows what they're getting into. So I am here to talk about that.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this because a lot of people, you know, try and save a little money, try to save a little money, don't want talk to people like you now. And the air contracts that come from I'm gonna use the word reputable because you know they come from production companies, they come from studios. But that doesn't mean that that contract has your best your best your best uhitches you go your best interest if you sign it.
Speaker 1: Is that true or not?
Speaker 4: Well, you always have to remember that. Uh. There are two sides to the contract, right, you know, whoever's receiving the contractor whoever since the contract basically right, two sides in terms of whoever the drafter and the person you're entering into the contract is one party and then the person expected to the contract on the other side of the other party. So those are competing entrance interests already and inherently there's a conflict of interest. So I would rely on the studio to say Hey, we've offered you the perfect deal. Sign here really without counsel, without maybe my lawyer looking at it. If I don't have a manager, do I have an experience I'm sorry. If I'm a lawyer, do I have an experience manager to look at it. You know, I wouldn't sign without legal advice, that's for certain. And I will also say this, and I've said this many times, if you have an entertainment matter, do not take your entertainment matter to a real estate attorney. Don't take it to approbate attorney just because somebody has e SQ as a title at the end of their name, right, or they're attorney so and so and they have big commercials about eighteen wheel of wrecks. Do not take your entertainment contract to that lawyer. Find you a lawyer who has experienced and entertainment, specifically in the area of entertainment that your contract is related to. So, if you got a music issue, take it to a music lawyer. If you have a contract dealing with television in the unscripted space, make sure that lawyer has that type of experience a writer. Make sure that that lawyer has some experience with writing agreement. So that's where they where they need to start. First of all, have the right representation to take a look at that agreement to make sure that you know it's it's fair basically, and you get as much of the benefit of the bargain as you can.
Speaker 3: I want to bring something up here, Attorney Mac. I remember, you know, because I've represented people over the years. And then what was happening was especially in reality TV world, because these people are coming on these reality shows, especially like baking shows and these these a lot of shows that are uh you know, physical fitness shows, and they were leaving and get an endorsement or they will getting other TV opportunities, And it was almost like signing talent deals, you know, where you come on the show. It used to be you come on the show and used to get paid for the show, but then they feel they made you, put you in a position to be recognized and they want a percentage of your life or opportunity that you've received once you leave the show.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about it for T shirt sales.
Speaker 3: It could be if you have a bake where they can have something like that if you're a baker.
Speaker 1: These contracts still exist today.
Speaker 4: Correct, they do, and Oh my god, your timing is impactable because literally this morning I had a client that I had to advise on a I won't say the name of the show or the network, but it was a cooking related show and the contract was forty five pages long, let's start there. And not only did it have a number of issues related to if you make it to the show, because right it deals with if you what happens when you auditioned for the show, even what happens when you feel like application and maybe you make the show, and how many seasons are you going to be on the show, and then if we make you a success on the show, h we want the exclusive right to manage you. We want the exclusive rights to handle a TV deal with you. So it's almost like these record labels, you know, when the record of when record stores shut down and the record business change and everything with streaming now, the record labels had to figure out how to get a little bit of everything that you deal with. So even in this cooking space that you're talking about with this reality show, now, it's a very similar three sixty deal in a lot of cases, because we know reality shows have been so successful in building talent that they want a little bit of the money that they spent to build you as a talent, although they were getting paid well from average, right, we want a little bit of that back. So now they're going to tax you on the success that you got from their show. And how are they doing that? By example, with this cooking with a cooking show, as you even reference, they'll charge you a see called a business royalty because maybe you went out, you started cookbooks and you got popular on YouTube and you're making all these appearances as a chef. Or we're going to charge you a restaurant royalty because on our show, yeah, now you want to go and open up a full blown restaurant. We need our fifteen percent, we need our ten percent because we help build you. So that is definitely the trend that I'm seeing, especially in these competition based shows, because it's not like an unscripted reality show. Let's just say the Housewives of Atlanta. Those people get paid well, I mean Ninie Lakes. They have to get her out the way first on Housewives, and whatever little money's left over, it trickles down to everybody else because you know, she's the leading talent on that show. But with that being said, there's longevity, right, so yes, your your brand will build up over time. But that show has several seasons and there's lots of money to not only pay talent, but lots of money for that show to make coffee.
Speaker 1: You what is your dream?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 3: You've gotten a call from one of these networks and I'm gonna stand that cooking lane, because that's why I'm at.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna cook. So that's what I understand.
Speaker 3: And you're telling me, you know, I got my little my little TikTok, I got my little social.
Speaker 1: Media handles, and I go in, I is it anyway?
Speaker 3: Because you know in terminology, you know you can get contract you can strike through them and say I'm not going to do that. Are these contracts set up where hey almost like a taken a leader?
Speaker 4: Naturally? Yes they are because they know so I'll say this, Uh, sometimes I can sit back and say, you know what, everything is negotiable, but in reality only when you got a forty five page contract and the show is not in its infancy stage. This is a show that's the institution that has been going for years and they know for a fact that they make stars. The show rates well on television, and the buyers are lined up to take an ad to advertising the show, right. They know the show is successful and everybody wants to be on the show. If you're desperate enough, you will jump in bed with that devil and not get a chance to negotiate the things that really are important to you. Some of those things do become a take it or leave it position. But even when I look at those contracts as commoluted as they can be, you know, really really, I mean the small print type stuff. You got to take your time to read through every line. But I would still push for exclusion if I could, right, Meaning, Hey, I'm a chef, and I know I'm not a big name now, but I do have a food truck that's been doing well these last two years. And I know I'm only making, you know, three hundred thousand dollars a year, But if I come on this show, I might end up making three million dollars a year. I get that, But this little food truck is important to me. It's been in our family for a while. I put a lot of time, toil and chalel in it. I built it up, I built my brand around it, and I don't want to share this with the network. You have to specifically say that to these lawyers and these producers that I have some things that I want to exclude I don't want to share. And these things existed before this show came along, right, But it's important to make the argument.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but a lot of people may not have that, and they when they come on, they can blow up popularity tied to their social media, popularity, tied to just coming home.
Speaker 1: So it's important. I guess what I wanted to point out.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm talking to attorney jay Lee Mack, and we do I say the word Houston base, but our reach has expanded into Las Vegas, Nevada, Miami, Florida, Atlanta, Georgia, Los Angeles, California, New York, New York, Chicago, Illinois, Baltimore, Maryland, New Orleans, you know, Dubai. So you know, so that's a lot so of reach. That's a reach in the legal profession. And I only say she's uston base because that's what she said quartered. But more importantly, when I look at in my life, I've been so fortunate to have of legal guidance, and believe me, you know, the old axiom is that hey, you know, I don't want to pay nobody.
Speaker 1: It looks good to me. They wouldn't cheat me. Yes, they will, just do it, just do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it happens. No, no, it happens. I mean I will say, you know, there's a lot more integrity in the industry now and you can certainly work through your representatives.
Speaker 1: On come on, how is that you just told me this morning you saw this cover?
Speaker 4: Right? No, no, right, no, hear me out. What I mean by that is there are some factors in place to help you at least understand your deal and know what it is that you're dealing with, right, as opposed to being blindsided by the small print. So with that being said, what I mean is you do have your option to have your representative right negotiate this deal on your behalf or with you alongside of you. So that's the plus side of being in the business. But at the end of the day, Yeah, how much power do you really have? You're right, and if you're if you're trying to build your brand and this is the biggest stage you've ever been on and you want to parlay all that success and to an empire, it might be worth, you know, giving up some things, you know, for the next five years of your life, sharing some of your profits for the next few years after you've been successful.
Speaker 1: On the show.
Speaker 4: All of it might be worth it because you say, Okay, I got to out the good outweighs the bad. You know, yeah, it might cost me a million when it's all said and done, but I'm gonna walk away with four million. You got to weigh all those factors, right. I know, I'm dealing with high numbers that you know, some people may never research, but it sounds but.
Speaker 3: You know, something is reachable. It's happening out there, and that's the whole thing. That's why there they see it. That's why they got these contracts out there. They know it's happening. And so the reality they wouldn't have these type of contracts if it didn't happen at least one time. So you know the one time, it probably happened about two three times when they went hold up, hold Up. They getting television shows, they getting endorsement deals, and they were nobody untill they came on our show. And that's what is all. That's what it's all about. You know, whether you whether you a fitness person, do a Fitness show. Next thing you know on you you look over your Instagram account, you got a million followers.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: You look at your YouTube you got five hundred thousand subscribers, which means that you could be making anywhere from thirty thousand to one hundred thousand dollars a month depending on their views on your YouTube channel. So the important thing that Attorney j Lee Macket is saying, and I'm saying to anybody who's listening on to the show, is that if a contracts putting in front of you, find somebody who knows how to read it. Jayleen, I want to go to break when I come back, something I didn't do last time we was owned this show, Money Making Conversations master Class. I want to know how did you get started and what got you in that direction that the law was going to be a career for you. When we've come right back, I'm going to learn more about Houston Base but Dubai known Attorney Jayleen Mack, we'll.
Speaker 5: Be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rashawn McDonald.
Speaker 6: You are now tuned into the Money Making Conversations Minute of Inspiration with Rashawn McDonald.
Speaker 3: Despite being known for loud, bombastic comments and his trademark propensity to debate.
Speaker 1: A much softer side of Stevin A.
Speaker 3: Smith is revealed when discussing the inspiration for his success.
Speaker 1: The final product is for the fans. I'm about the work, the process, the.
Speaker 7: Grind, the day in and day out, meticulous, tedious work that you have to put in to perfect your craft. And the reason why that resonated with me so profoundly, Rashaan, is because that's what I attached to all my work. Everybody right now is celebrating stephen A's World coming on ESPN Plus, or they're talking about my sports and it was stephen A.
Speaker 1: Smith the NBA show. They look would first take.
Speaker 7: All I think about is going day to day and making sure that I do everything that I can to deliver to the audience what their expectations are of me, and to exceed those expectations.
Speaker 3: If you want to hear this full interview with Stephen A. Smith, visit Moneymaker Conversation dot com.
Speaker 1: Keep Winning.
Speaker 8: HBCUs represent Black excellence. If you attend or are an alumnus of an HBCU, we want to hear about your story. The my HBCU story digital Library will allow current HBCU students and alumni to share their stories. More information is available at HBCU College day dot com.
Speaker 1: You can upload a photo.
Speaker 8: The photo can be recent or from when you attended your HBCU.
Speaker 1: More information is.
Speaker 8: Available at HBCU College day dot com.
Speaker 6: You are now tuned into the money making Conversations Minute of Inspiration with Rashawn McDonald.
Speaker 3: Tmauri to start our family Reunion, recall spending years being incorrectly treated for her debilitating abdominal pain. This experience inspired Tiya to sell healthy vitamin supplements.
Speaker 9: I decided to come out with a supplement line called Answer to encourage and to inspire women to take back in charge of their health. It's called Answer, insinuating you are the Answer. And after my surgeries with indometriosis, my doctor was like, Yo, Ta, there's nothing I can do. You kind of have to start looking at your lifestyle. And that's exactly what I did, and I want to encourage other women and people to do the same. We have a women's multi, we have an Elderberry, we have a kid's gummy, we have a men's line. We're going to be coming out with several other amazing supplemented.
Speaker 3: If you want to hear this full interview with Tiamauri, visit Moneymaking Conversation dot com.
Speaker 1: Keep winning.
Speaker 5: Now, let's return to Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rashaun McDonald j Lee Mack.
Speaker 1: Why why are you a lawyer?
Speaker 8: Mmm?
Speaker 4: Well, let me let me button this before we go on. I just want to put the caveat out there we were talking about earlier. All reality unscripted shows, competition, lifestyle, et cetera, will not have the same contract. But what we were talking about specifically was these new contracts that feel like these three sixty deals. So I just want I don't want to discourage anybody if you're trying to go on a reality show to know that to think that it's going to be such a difficult time or process for you. It may be something light, a lighter experience and uh, and you may not have some of the same things that these these competition shows have in their agreements versus if you were just going on a lifestyle show. So I just want to put that caveat out there, so whatever contract you get from that particular show would stand alone. And again I encourage everybody to get a lawyer to take a look at it, to go through it with you. So to go back to why am I a lawyer?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 4: So that's so funny because you know, I was an actress before I was a lawyer, and I still act to this day. But when I graduated from zay V University of Louisiana XU, yes, HBCU proud of it. I was at that fork in the road because I finished college in ninety and you had to figure out how do you make yourself way more marketable because everybody, you know, not anybody but printant people graduating from college. Right, So it was a matter of did I want to go to a graduate school, go into the workforce, or do I really wanted to pursue acting, right, And I really did want to be an actress, but I didn't want to be a starving actress. And so I thought, hmm, looking at everybody around me at the time that was famous having problems with management. Tony Braxton TLC, Kareem Jewel Jabbar when he was a basketball player, they were having problems with management, and that went back to they were having problems and accounting and such. They were having problems with their contracts, not understanding the small print. So I said, I'm gonna be a lawyer because they teach you contracts in law school, and if I practiced law, that'd be my waitressing job. While I'm pursuing an acting career. They want to be a starving artist. It was that plain for me. That's simple. And of course they keep you contracts in your first year. So had I failed law school, at least I have known about contracts. I could my own, you know.
Speaker 10: But I passed.
Speaker 4: I passed all years. I passed the bar the first time and didn't have a problem, But I did firing a way to marry the two careers, practicing as a lawyer and practicing in the entertainment industry. And although I had plenty of other experience in other areas of the law, because I used to be a litigation attorney. I did family laws, criminal cases, landlord tenant disputes. I did a gambit of things in the general practice. But my love was in arts and entertainment, and so that is literally how I got to become a lawyer. I wasn't a person that was born and said, oh, I want to be a lawyer, you know. At six years old, I did not know I wanted to be a lawyer until I was at that four K in the road in my senior year of college.
Speaker 1: Wow, let me ask you this.
Speaker 3: So now you know, we're surrounded by this incredible strike that's out there, and you know, the actors are striking, which is sad.
Speaker 1: The writers are striking with WGA and then you.
Speaker 3: Turn around and you see, you know, Barbie is across the billion dollar box office worldwide. Oppenheimer, you know, is flying up to four hundred million about the five hundred million dollars worldwide.
Speaker 1: What is the problem?
Speaker 3: You know, are the what are the actors acts asking for? And what are the writers asking for? Should I? Should I have that conversation separately? Ask me, because you an actor actress?
Speaker 1: Yes, whether the actors.
Speaker 3: Acting asking for that the that the studios are resisting.
Speaker 4: So it's a it's a number of things that's been happening, but at the core of it, it's more money, better working conditions, improvement of safety, and uh more passive income, right because with the big streamers coming along, but the revidual income it's almost like non existent. And I've myself been that person to open up the envelope gotten the check and all I see is seventy five cents.
Speaker 3: Orlo Hodo, Holdo Sturney j Lee, Matt, you've got the residual check is seventy five cents.
Speaker 4: I had one that was less than a dollar, and I think it was the movie Hurricane Season, if I'm not mistaken, and I did that like two thousand and eight. So I will say old movies tend to pay you less residuals, right, because they've been out for so long. But residuals used to be thousands of dollars. Like you live for a residual check. Now you don't even run to the mail box. Sometimes I don't even open those shoes. I got a check, two checks sitting on my desk right now that I haven't cast yet, because like one's less than one hundred bucks, and I don't know what the other one is, but total they probably weren't quite two hundred bucks. And so that's for somebody who's in between jobs, right, or somebody who hasn't worked for a while on a union project that's paid significantly. They're living check to check, especially if they're not getting large residuals. And that's why it's important as a creative to have more than one stream of income. That's why you have directors who are producers, producers who are are writers. Right, as an actor, you shouldn't just be an actor. You should be writing as well. You should be a producer developing your own projects. You have to create multiple streams of income. And Jayleen Mack is not just an actress. I'm not a fool. I need to earn a living, especially living in a market that's not a typical entertainment market such as Houston.
Speaker 1: So what do I do.
Speaker 4: I'm also a lawyer, so I don't have to worry about well, I don't have an acting gig, but I also produce, and I also write, and I'm also an Arthur Right, I'm also a philanthropist that I have a foundation, and so I've had these multiple hats that I get to wear in the industry. That makes a lot of sense for the industry because obviously there's only so many areas, so many industries that you can be in when you wear these multiple hats in your hybrids. Because when you start to get in other areas, like I don't know, let's say you're a nurse, maybe you're still just a nurse. You're just in a specialized area. But you don't wear multiple hat right, You don't necessarily say, well, I'm a nurse and then I'm a TV producer and I'm a you know or whatever, because it may not necessarily make sense in that industry, but in the entertainment industry, multiple hats for multiple streams of revenue make a lot of sense because that's just how it works.
Speaker 3: Right, turning Mac, how does one get in touch with you? You know there's a direct number at your office that one can call.
Speaker 4: Yes, how does that work? Yes? Yes, they're welcome to call the numbers seven one three six sixty one MAC, which stands for seven one three sixty six one six two two five. So if they don't remember seven one three sixty sixty one MAC, and then they can find me at Jaalen maac dot com. They can find me on social media at Jlen Mac on all the channels. Uh, LinkedIn is a great place to find me, or as they say, google me.
Speaker 1: You know, you know, you know, I just you know.
Speaker 3: They always to put teacher disclaimers out there. On my show, Seine has a relationship with somebody on this show where I do have a relationship, a business relationship with her. She's representing my trademark business for at least over twenty years, you know, and so I go, she's her firm has been my go to firm for trademarks now, because in the business you have to have people you trust, you have to have people you cannot you know a lot of people go, well, you know, if you just put your trademark in an envelope and then you mail it back to yourself and don't break the seal, it's registered. No, no, no, But people believe that because they can google that information and that's what it will say. Just like people use they cure themselves or try to cure themselves by doing being there doctor, by going on social media, going on the website and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Internet. So as we wrap this up, you know, can you say one thing.
Speaker 3: That people shouldn't do in this business that they're continually doing to frustrates you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the leading thing as I mentioned before, you know, not going to the proper lawyer, uh to handle your legal legal matter. And that's in any case you know, we can get outside of entertainment law, even if it's a divorce attorney. You wouldn't want to go to a real estate attorney, right, Or if you need a will done, you wouldn't necessarily want to go to your corporate attorney. So make sure your representative is experienced to handle the issue that you have when it comes to contracts. Even if you don't have a lawyer and you try to prepare a contract yourself, if you take one off the internet, a general template you know that's a that has blank lines, or you find a contract that's a TV contract that's filled out, but it's online and in somebody else's contract. You cannot take the contract and just fill in the blanks and think that it's completely been negotiated or it makes sense for your situation. You really do have to read through it to know and understand what it is you're feeling in and why or what else about the contract might need to be changed. Even if you feel it out yourself and you feel like, ah, I saved some money, well, I don't know if that thaves you some money. It costs you some money.
Speaker 10: But what you know what I mean, because but what I will tell you is find a way to put it fide some type of legal funds to even have a lawyer, take a look at the contract that you've prepared yourself for extra pair of eyes.
Speaker 4: Right or.
Speaker 3: You know you got to do it that way, Attorney Jayleen Mac. As usual, I run out of time. You're just an incredible guess. I would appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Can you give out that phone number one more time if we close out the show?
Speaker 4: Absolutely seven one three sixty six ' one mac or they're welcome to make an email me at info at Jlenmac dot com. Jayalenmac dot com is a website Jayleen Mac on all social media and I'm here to assist.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, and I want to thank oh my my friends and family that's who listen toes show. You are my friends, you are my family again. I'll be back next week with another great episode of Money Making Conversation Masterclass.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jayleen Mack, Attorney.
Speaker 4: Max, thank you.
Speaker 1: Having from Houston to Dubai. That's right, so I say bye bye.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you about the host of Money Making Conversations, Rushan McDonald. Rushan's a two time Emmy Award winner, three time n DOUAACP EMMAT Award winner, sitcom writer, stand up comic, and former IBM executive. Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rushan McDonald is produced by thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight to fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts