Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha. I Koch Steffan never told you a production of iHeartRadio. And we are entering the final month of twenty twenty three, here we are, and that can be quite a stressful time. We were just talking about four students who have to cram for exam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been so long since I've been a part of that life style, but I remember this moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally forget about that. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And then for people traveling or decorating, cooking, all of those things. And so in a recent happy hour I mentioned are the emotional labor episode we did around the Holidays, which is very funny to me because we did that as part of a sponsorship deal. And I feel like a lot of times when a sponsor was like, can we do an EPISO, And we're like, here's ten depressing topics, which one would you like?
Speaker 4: Don't try to like catalyze on the idea? They like, but we make it easier, yeah, and we're.
Speaker 5: Like, it's still not easy. We're stressed out. We're stressed out. Well, so please enjoy this classic episode. Hey, this is Annie and Samantha, and welcome to STEPHF Mo've never told you a prediction of iHeartRadio's House Stuff Work. Today we are talking about emotional Labor Holiday edition. If you all remember a while back, Virget and I did an episode on emotional labor.
Speaker 3: But today we're focusing specifically.
Speaker 1: On the holidays, the holidays and the work that a lot of women do to make the holidays happen. And Samantha and I have already talked about how the holidays are a bit of a source of stress for us. I like the holidays, I'll put that out there, but they are extremely stresful. They are not relaxing for me at all. I have, in general a problem relaxing. So hard to say right. So in my case, when I look at what's stressing me, it's the planning, the shopping, the making a food plus vegetarian because of my little brother, of course, getting the timing of everything right, bringing all the decorations down from the attic, and that's down sets of stairs, setting them up, getting the tree, it's setting that up, the lights, the ornaments, hanging outside lights, finding gifts, wrapping them, writing cards, cleaning, and then the worst part putting everything away stressed me out.
Speaker 2: Just typing it yeah. I don't do any of those stuff, and I'm still stressed. I barely like all my family members getting gift cards. I am the best, worst, worst, best, because you know, I give them what they want, but it's not very creative.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're going to talk about that a little bit more. That's interesting, I will say. I'm just gonna throw this out here.
Speaker 3: From the research I read, a lot of people do like gift cards. I don't. I'd rather get no gift at all.
Speaker 2: I would rather have something. If you were going to give me a gift card, I want it to be something that I will use. So if you give me a gift card to Panera Starbucks, not gonna be as happy. Oh no, because I don't go to those places, right, kidding, right, Although don't get me wrong, sometimes soup is delicious.
Speaker 1: See what I don't like about gift cards. I'm wondering if any of my relatives are going to listen to this. Well, I'll say it. I don't like that you can't. I don't know how much is on it, and I don't like the moment of I have no idea how much is.
Speaker 3: This going to get me?
Speaker 1: Right, especially when it comes to bank gift cards because I really would just rather have money or check.
Speaker 3: That's going to be what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I probably have at least twenty seven dollars on past gift car cards.
Speaker 4: I just, yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: It is a nice little trick because either you can't spend it all right, or you're going to spend that and then extra on top of that.
Speaker 4: It's a gimmick.
Speaker 3: It is a gimmick. That's sorry, we're coming out strong.
Speaker 4: Gift cards. I like give cards, Like I said.
Speaker 3: Oh well, agreed to disagree on this point.
Speaker 1: Numerous studies have found that women experience and increase in psychological stress during the holidays greater than what men experience, and that this increase in stress is worse in the US. I actually really enjoyed one of the interview subjects, a male interview subject, when asked about this, he said, I thought people feel stressed in the holidays.
Speaker 3: I thought they were like relaxing. I don't, I've never heard of this. I wanted to hug him and be like, oh, you wonderful. Someone's really been making this happen for you.
Speaker 4: Very happy and bluss yes, hashtag blust.
Speaker 1: Hashtag bloss from a two thousand and six survey conducted by Greenberg Quinnian Rosner quote holiday stress has a particular impact on women, who take charge of many of the holiday celebrations, particularly the task related to preparing meals and decorating the home. Women are more likely than men to report an increase of stress during the holiday season. In addition, they have a harder time relaxing during the holidays and are more likely to fall into bad habits to manage their stress, like comfort eating. Women are much more likely to shoulder the work burden during family celebrations. During Thanksgiving, women are nearly twice as likely to report that they will cook sixty six percent of women versus thirty five percent of men, shop for food fifty two percent of women versus thirty two percent of men, and clean dirty dishes seventy percent of women versus forty one percent of men. Men, on the other hand, are nearly twice as likely as women to report that they will watch football twenty six percent of women versus forty six percent of men. So that's the end of a quote that was a whole. Only a quarter of women feel that they can relax during the holidays was another thing. I found and the main reasons women gave for their stress were money, pressure of buying and wrapping gifts, and lack of time. Another study found women are twice as likely yeah, to be behind the holiday feast.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, my mom is definitely a prime example of all of these things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my mom gets very, very.
Speaker 2: Very stressed out, and then my dad gets stressed out watching her, and so he gets angry, oh, and will be a little snyed with her, and then she will get more angry and more anxious because of that and eventually call him a gas which is a holiday tradition. And I'm really excited.
Speaker 4: I hope. I'm sure my niece may actually hear this. Please don't report this by my mother.
Speaker 2: But it's become a kind of a holiday tradition where she finally just breaks and become very country.
Speaker 4: And call.
Speaker 2: And then she but she has this whole expectation that it must be part effect. These are the things that she has to do. She doesn't want to ask anybody for help. It's probably gotten to the point that my sister and sister in laws are able to take a little bit of the responsibility, and she'll allow it.
Speaker 4: But she also decorates in themes.
Speaker 2: So she decorates in all of the homes and it is like Christmas threw up everywhere everywhere. Yes, because so one side maybe like country Christmas and the others and like fancy French Christmas.
Speaker 4: Like it's just absurd.
Speaker 2: And and I walk in, there's waths at the beginning, there's probably lights already on the outside. You go in and there is the fake snow, cotton snow everywhere with a little bit of glitter and all these figurings, stockings everywhere.
Speaker 4: It is a thing.
Speaker 2: And I feel, yes, I've been very lucky, lucky and privileged to be able to celebrate it that way.
Speaker 4: But to me, I'm like, that's not worth it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'll say that's a lot more than what I am doing.
Speaker 2: I know my mother enjoys the stuff well to an extent, to an extent, and that.
Speaker 1: Is something to say, is that some women really enjoyed its thrive in it.
Speaker 2: And it makes me stressed out because I'm not creative and I'm not very what's the word qut seed homie, So I have no knowledge of doing that. I have always get the sag Charlie Brown Tree because I think it's fantastic.
Speaker 4: And a few little ridiculous trinkets on there. I think I bought some shiny balls, yes, to put.
Speaker 2: On their red silver and gold, because I don't like the typical oh, you know, you know, and then but that's it.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 2: And then my friend bought me two little baby stockings for myself and my dog.
Speaker 4: That's cute, right, I don't buy that for myself.
Speaker 1: My I put up a tiny sag Charlie Brown tree in my little apartment that you've seen, and all of my ornaments are Harry Potter doctor, who's like Captain America. So it's a very personalized tree, yes, yes, which I like. And kind of going back to what you were saying about your dad getting stress watching your mom, My dad used to it's almost like he wanted to be involved, right, especially with shopping, and then he would get so impatient and annoyed with the shopping that we would have to leave early and we didn't even get done what we had to get done. So we're gonna come back and talk to talk more about that in a little bit. But okay, no surprise that this added stress we're talking about is not good for our health. Research shows that it can lead to anxiety and depression, specifically research into holiday stress. There's a pressure to always do more. I should be doing this or that, especially when children are evolved.
Speaker 3: Feeling like a failure, like.
Speaker 1: You're not meeting these standards that you're putting on yourself or that you feel like society is placing on you is not a good mental state, not at all. No, all right, So what are we talking about? What's going on here? Several things?
Speaker 2: Actually, so a quick recap for me as well, because I wasn't here to do the emotional labor episode. But emotional labor means essentially it's unpaid. Usually, I noticed emotional labor we do for those around us to keep them comfortable and happy, and women do the bulk of it, or they do in.
Speaker 4: Our pop culture definition.
Speaker 2: The term emotional labor was originally coined in nineteen seventy nine by Arlie Russell Hushchild and applied to what the labor workers in the service industry do to ensure a customer's happiness by putting on a happy face. Basically, so, she argues that we overuse it these days and that we severely muddle the original definition, but she does agree that there is something happening, and we don't quite have the language to express when we talk about women and emotional labor. In her mind, we're conflating perfectionism and simple labor, sometimes mental with emotional labor. Emotional labor does very culturally. Somethings Americans point to as emotional labor. Other cultures would view differently, And we would love to hear any of the differences from our listeners. So if y'all know or can say any of the differences, please let us know.
Speaker 1: Yes, please, So during the holidays, this work, emotional, mental, or just labor, whatever you want to call it, increases exponentially. The planning part is really key. That background mental energy that you're expending on an enormous scope of people gives food, decorations, all of those things. The expectation is for the holidays to be perfect and magical. If they aren't, which of course, they won't be perfect, it feels like failing, and that is a lot of pressure. Making the holidays happen is work, and largely it is and has been women's work.
Speaker 3: It's work. Yes, some women really love but.
Speaker 1: Others not so much, or maybe it's just overwhelming and exhausting.
Speaker 3: Maybe like me, it's something I do enjoy it.
Speaker 2: It's a lot, yeah, and I don't enjoy it, so I try to avoid it at all costs.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, it seems like you've been fairly successful. You're not failing or succeeding.
Speaker 4: I'm succeeding and not caring.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Historically, women have been responsible for making the holidays happen, going back to the eighteenth century and probably even earlier.
Speaker 3: Before women entered the workforce, is a part It was a part of their duties as a housewife. This duty has been solidified through various time periods and by various institutions, cultural movements, and societal constructs like the cult of domesticity, the cultivated image of the perfect housewife and mother, and even religion. Kirk Cameron recently.
Speaker 1: Posted a video directed at women in which she said, let your children and your family see your joy in the way that you decorate your home this Christmas. In the food that you cook, the songs you sing, the stories you tell, and the traditions you keep several Christian circles. This is still viewed. All of those things still viewed as a women's duty. To make Christmas run smoothly for her family.
Speaker 4: Oh that quote made me nauseous.
Speaker 3: It's it's not good. Yeah, it's really bad.
Speaker 4: If you love it, then love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you do you but yeah, don't be sure status and whether or not you're doing well as a parent or a wife on that bs.
Speaker 4: Yeah yet nah.
Speaker 1: And even as women have gotten jobs, the expectation that will take charge of the holidays hasn't changed. Oh and also, just to be clear, being a housewife is a job.
Speaker 3: It's a job. It is very hard.
Speaker 1: It's just an unpaid and unvalued one. And yeah, why is it that women's work isn't seen as real work. It's just something or expected to do without pay, without recognition, and perhaps it might even cost us to do it.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 4: Interesting, Christmas is expensive?
Speaker 3: It is so expensive?
Speaker 4: Are expensive?
Speaker 3: Yes, we're going to get more into Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. As we've discussed on the show, women are still doing more of the housework when compared to men in heterosexual relationships or situations. They also are doing more of the household budgeting, which is a major headache during the holidays obviously, and also obviously being responsible for gift and thoughtful ones can put a dent in a woman's finances a huge did. Going back to those top reasons for holiday stress, two of them, gift giving and money are all wrapped up into this, and this further penalizes lower and middle class women who might be working more than one job and are enabled to afford childcare or other help that could alleviate some holiday stress. So women spend considerably more time and money when it comes to gifts, more out of buying for a wider network of people than a one on one comparison.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so to kind of explain that a bit more, we did want to focus on gift giving for a second because that is such a huge part of holiday stress.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, wait, wait wait wait wait.
Speaker 1: Way back a host past host Kristin and Molly did an episode on whether men or women we are better at gift giving, So you can find that in archive if you want. But right now, brief overview, there is actually a decent amount of research around gender differences and gift giving, and that research is found that in general, gift giving is important to our social relationships around the world. Bad gifts can negatively impact relationships, and men are far more judgmental of bad gifts, while women are more likely to downplay disappointment to protect the relationship and the other person's feelings, and women by gifts for a wider group of friends, so they spend more money on gifts and they are generally better at selecting gifts. This sort of goes back to what we discussed in our original Emotional Labor episode that women are more willing to put in the work and invest in friend groups other than men. That goes back to I know we brought it up recently in our heartbreak episode, but how female waters have more positive health outcomes than male widowers and they think it has to do with this wider support group. The research suggests that it has to do with this better gift giving has to do with interpersonal interest, which is having an interest in other people, and interpersonal reactivity, which is the ability to take on another person's perspective. It could also have to do with reputation or to create a sense of superiority or indebtedness, or to show off, and or this expectation that we put on women that we keep talking about that you have to be good at these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The research is also found women are both more likely to give and to receive, and that men with more egalitarian views and gay men were more likely to be more involved in gift giving. One study found that male to male gifts only accounted for four percent of gift giving. It also found that a lot of male gift giving. In a lot of male gift giving, the gift is actually picked out and sometimes purchased and wrapped by the woman. In the context of heterosexual relationships, makes my heart hurt.
Speaker 3: If that's how.
Speaker 4: You like it to be, great, why no presence, bro.
Speaker 1: My mom definitely did this any other The letter always says, like in her handwriting to Susan from Michael, like.
Speaker 2: I do have a tradition where my father sends me Valentine's Day candy and has for years, and he's so proud of the fact that he has picked out the candy for me, the specific whatever, handpicked and made sure to tell me I picked this out for you, so well I know that it wasn't my mother, right.
Speaker 3: Right, right right.
Speaker 1: Yet another study into gift giving found women view gift giving as a responsibility and obligation to be checked off of a list that they sometimes enjoy and sometimes don't, whereas men see it as a chance to get something for someone else that brings.
Speaker 3: Them as in the men pleasure.
Speaker 1: A lot of these studies were conducted in Western societies, though, so again, we'd love to hear from listeners from elsewhere.
Speaker 2: From a study called The Perfect Present, Gift giving and gender norms among gifters, women ruled they not only spend more time on gifts and give gifts to more people, but they also invest more of their ideas of themselves and the relationships in the process. This is part of what makes women the single largest consumer group worldwide. If we align these fightings with poverty statistics, we could extrapolate that ginger expectations and social pressures around gifting stressed women both economically and psychically. Poverty rates are higher among women, and more than half of all children living in poverty are careful primarily by their mothers. The average person celebrating Christmas, Kwanza and Orhonka will spend eight hundred and four dollars and forty two cents, up nearly five percent over last year's actual seven hundred and sixty seven dollars and twenty seven cents, according to prosper Insights and Analytics studies, we could also bring into the conversation ginger toys and the impact that it has on reinforcing ginger contracts. And you can listen to our Action Figure episodes for more on that.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then there's the whole thing of giving women sexy lingerie, which they might totally be into, but in straight relationships unless a woman specifically asked for it. To me, it feels like it might be more of a gift for the dude or like also a vacuum or something, unless again, the person specifically asked for it enthusiastically.
Speaker 3: I really want this, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Really want an air fire oven.
Speaker 3: Oh she said it here noted noted.
Speaker 1: And there's a great example of this whole thing in The Simpsons when Homer buys Marge a bowling ball that has his name engraved in it and it is cut to fit his fingers perfect.
Speaker 3: Yes, in all fairness, I'll be fair.
Speaker 1: I was guilty of try and convince my little brother he really wanted whatever video game I really wanted when we were children.
Speaker 3: And he usually did. We had similar taste.
Speaker 1: But I'd be lying if I said I was being altrue at that game.
Speaker 3: I usually minds so long, and I'm like, well, I got to put some things on his right.
Speaker 4: I love you so much, so you would love this gift.
Speaker 3: You would really dig it, anecdotally, continued anecdotally, my dad never wrapped gifts, and the stuff he gave me was usually a random assortment of items, like a football a few years ago. Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that sometimes I liked a lot of times I didn't. I do the bee, my bee. That was one of the random gifts that I think he just didn't think I'd like, but I really did. My mom, on the other hand, gets me stuff based on something I said in a random conversation months ago. I know a lot of the says have also shown that women's shop for Christmas all year round.
Speaker 3: Men started like the week of Christmas.
Speaker 2: And that is definitely my mother. She she shops all year around. She sees a good sell, she will get it. Yeah, that is what I've discovered for me. She actually buys based on past likes. Oh yeah, so I may no longer like it, but it has a tradition to it, so I still end.
Speaker 4: Up getting it.
Speaker 2: It was kind of like those wooden angels I said one time, I liked one. I've got about fifty yeah, I don't know what to do with them.
Speaker 1: I haven't aunt who did the same thing. I actually don't even remember saying. I like tea cups and I can't drink tea, but she gets a.
Speaker 4: Tea cup every year, so it's thoughtful.
Speaker 1: It is thoughtful, and they're pretty. I kind of use them as a decoration. I remember once my ex boyfriend he I can't remember why, but he was showing me a screenshot of his laptop and it was around Christmas time, and one of the tabs was.
Speaker 3: How to wrap a gift and that made me laugh.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm awful at wrapping gifts, and my mother is queen. She is the Martha Stewart of wrapping. It's always a piece of art. I really wish I could show you. Well, I'll take Peter's pictures this week. But all of us feel guilty in trying to open these presents because it's so elaborately beautiful. Yeah, and I'm like, okay, I'm just gonna put some brown tape on it. Yeah, maybe I'll put the newspaper here and my name onto the bag. Awesome, I will say gift bags on my favorite thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like gift bags and tissue paper I do. I wrap my mom's gift because she wraps mine and I used to be really good at wrapping, and.
Speaker 3: Something's gone terribly wrong. I don't know. I lost it somewhere. I lost my mojo.
Speaker 1: One year. I got pretty much everyone in my life a gift a couple of years ago, and that was a very expensive endeavor. But I have this note on my phone that I open when anyone mentions something that I think would be a good gift for them. So it kind of just I'm more of someone I would rather get a gift that I know you'll really love than just buy you something because it's Christmas time.
Speaker 3: And I've got to get you something.
Speaker 2: Thus far, you've done really well with my gifts. Yes, I just take you off for drinks.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that, though, I'd rather have that almost always.
Speaker 3: And I do want to say here, I.
Speaker 1: Have plenty, plenty, plenty of female friends who are terrible at gifts.
Speaker 3: Apologies, you know who you are? That to me? You, Yeah, I love drinks, that's number one.
Speaker 1: And I have a few male friends who are really great at them. So these are these are generalities we supported by research, but they're still kind of There are obviously exceptions, and it's really the societal expectation and pressure that's the heart of the issue here.
Speaker 3: If that's something that you love to do, that's great.
Speaker 4: I used to be really good at it and very thoughtful. I just got really tired.
Speaker 3: It's exhausting.
Speaker 1: It's probably the main point of this episode could really just be it's exhausting.
Speaker 2: As we're getting older, it's harder and harder to get you something that you may not already have bought yourself sure, or that you you know you don't necessarily need. It's kind of hard because it's not like, oh, I have everything. What do you give to someone who has everything?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Right conversation?
Speaker 2: In our society, we assume that it's in women's nature to be more thoughtful and more able to manage the emotions of others. It comes with the territory of being emotional, which we all know isn't true. These things don't just come naturally or easily for all of us. Also, these emotions of ours only seem to be good when they're boosting men in some way, and other studies have found because women are painted as more caring and giving, they feel the need to perceive themselves that way. So nevertheless, then the expectation contributes to an environment that rewards been for doing what women are simply expected to do and punished for not doing it. And studies have found that women do a brunt of the work of kinship that is, an interpersonal network of family and friends, whether they are hers or not, basically the work of maintaining social ties, which absolutely is work in the heterosexual context. If the wife or mom dies, the work is left undone. And it was spoken about yep, and the emotional labor episode. And one study posits that because the holidays are primarily about children and traditionally children have been women's responsibilities by proxy, the holidays and making the magical has always become or.
Speaker 4: Is women's responsibilities.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I found a really interesting study about the work behind what we culturally conceive as love that really made me think about the gender differences and how we expect people to express love for women. I would argue that this planning of the holiday has gotten twisted up with how we demonstrate our love and at the same time our value, Like, look at how much I'm contributing, and I'm not saying it's wrong if that's how someone truly wants to show their love, but the obligation to do so or else be judged as not loving or caring. That's a problem for me. My brothers, I'll say, they will help if I ask with all of these things, the decorations in particular, but then it's my responsibility to delegate to.
Speaker 3: Show them how to do everything, and them.
Speaker 1: Growing increasingly more annoyed, and all the while that expectation is that I am the one that will do it, and that helping me is something that they do.
Speaker 3: I have the kindness of their hearts.
Speaker 1: And it should be complimented, whereas I'm just gonna I guess spent my day doing this.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 1: And now we've got to talk about the kids, all the children, the children. But first we've got to take a quick break for word from our sponsor, and we're back.
Speaker 3: Thank you sponsor. Okay, So I'm a single lady, are you? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I've got enough stress, thank you very much. And Samantha and I have talked about the single lady stress of being asked by all your family members why you're single around the holidays. But I have plenty of female friends who have children and they have things on their plate that I don't when it comes to the holidays.
Speaker 3: A lot, a lot of very stressful things, right, so many things.
Speaker 1: Yes, Taking pictures for holiday cards also defensive, and sending those out, booking the photographer, finding outfits, choosing the best photo, handwriting messages and addresses, taking the kids to see Santa, baking cookies for a holiday function at school, tipping the post worker, Contacting everyone and wishing them happy holidays on both sides of the family if a significant other is involved.
Speaker 3: This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I do not like that. Again, if you like it, good for you.
Speaker 1: But why am I suddenly having to contact your mom and tell her happy holidays?
Speaker 3: Anyway? So that's my problem.
Speaker 1: Getting gifts for the kids, hiding those gifts, making Christmas magical. That might involve, you know, one year, my parents did a whole They got on the roof and yeah, it was a whole thing, and I mean it really did.
Speaker 3: It made it magical.
Speaker 1: But my gosh, it must have been so much work a new one, moving the elf on the shelf, constantly, constantly, constantly, and smiling through all of that. That is a lot of work and again exhaust sure. One of the biggest things when you're looking at arguments around emotional labor what we have sort of pop culturally been calling emotional labor.
Speaker 3: Just don't do those things then.
Speaker 1: And if you don't, you could not do them, but it would come at the cost of disappointment of loved ones, maybe voice disappointment, right.
Speaker 4: As well as probably judgment from some judgment.
Speaker 3: And in the case of a kid, it's.
Speaker 4: Sad, I sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's expected that women will consider the feelings of others, so not doing so is seen as a failure, and with kids involved, this expectation, reinforced by an enormous library of holiday movies and women's magazines, is all.
Speaker 2: The higher, right, And obviously Kurt Cameron's little comment right that was recently made, and I think it's fair to say. I know my friend groups, the men or the partners and spouses have absolutely it is fifty to fifty for them, and they will do a lot of it as well. Now, yeah, but as we see, still not the cultural norm and it should.
Speaker 1: Be right absolutely in my family, I was just thinking of the little things my mom did that made it magical that I probably didn't appreciate how much work and planning went into them. One of my favorites was we make gingerbread cookies every year, which requires at least one day to let the dough chill in the fridge and a lot of cleaning afterwards. Are very messy cookie to make. She also used to make the gingerbread man or woman. One of them would run away and would leave clues around the house as to its whereabouts. She did this for the first time when I was fourteen, and I loved it, wh like I immediately fell in love with the whole thing.
Speaker 4: That's really elaborate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was so fun. She knows that really competitive.
Speaker 1: Like I've said in previous episodes, she still hides Easter eggs for me, but because I loved it so much, it became a thing she did every year, and she confided me once I became older that she found it really stressful because eventually, like you run out of clue ideas, that's like where else is it gonna go? So things like that they really do involve a lot more than perhaps we recognize. She also used to get out her fanciest dishes, but over the years to make the holidays less stressful.
Speaker 2: We don't do it anymore, right, My family has changed holiday mills a lot, and it's become rather than the full feast. Yeah, sometimes it's become sandwiches because my mom is like, I'm not doing it this year. That's fair, mom, that's fair. Sometimes she will do a lasagna, so like an Italian throwback.
Speaker 4: Nobody my family's a time.
Speaker 2: And so she would do things like that as well as like Thanksgiving.
Speaker 4: If we had a.
Speaker 2: Giant feast during Thanksgiving, Christmas is going to be lesser, really what we like. It's just kind of because she's like, I do all of this, and she puts so much on her plate.
Speaker 4: We all end up the sinking.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fine, it's fine. She's gonna eat sandwiches. I love sandwiches, but that's still elaborate sandwiches. My mom has four types of bread that's on the table, as well as five meats or options, as well as a lot of sides, so it's still elaborate. But yeah, she's as we've gotten older, she would slow down. But now that the child grand children are older, she's kind of come back to that mentality a little bit. Trying to celebrate for the younger kids, but great grandkids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's kind of like back to Okay, we're celebrating a little less because they don't know exactly what's going on, and all of her grandkids are teenagers so they don't care as much and we're all adult.
Speaker 4: So but it's the whole thing.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: That's something that I've h and I don't want to make it sound like so I cook the meal, but my mom is there the whole time, and she's she helps, and.
Speaker 3: I have made it into a thing that I enjoy.
Speaker 1: It's just the stress and the obligation, mostly of the planning and making sure everything comes out at the right time.
Speaker 3: And we have.
Speaker 1: Slowly and it's mostly me to the annoyance of everyone else. But since I'm cooking it, I'm like, we're not cooking that anymore because I don't really like it, and if you want it, you can cook it. So our menu has also gotten a little bit more condensed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've taken a lot more responsibility. I guess you're the only female in your family, as I'm the youngest and I'm not the only female. Yeah, I kind of going to my sister and my sister in laws and I just kind of show up. I'm still children treated like at the teenager, which is cool. Yeah, I'm just in the kids table, not do things great.
Speaker 1: I actually was thinking about that the other day, and I was trying to reason out why in my personal experience, the women do make the holidays happen. And one of them is the whole reason I started cooking. Is I had it in my head. I was I was in high school. I thought, you know, when I get married, I won't know how to cook anything. So I asked my mom one year, I want to learn how to cook all of the things that you cook so I can make it for what I thought I was going to have my own family, and I want to be able to do it. And just that tradition of passing on recipes and traditions, and then from there it just became the next years or practice year, and now every years practice That's okay, I it is mostly my fault, that's okay. Also, my mom has a policy of silly hats so we won't fight with each other. That is surprisingly effective, and I think I should write a blog post about it.
Speaker 3: If you know how to deal with the holidays, silly hats.
Speaker 1: But that's another example of managing the emotions of others. And it does feel like the holidays have been sold. Is this wonderful time where everyone is happy, and if that doesn't happen, then.
Speaker 3: You're doing them wrong or something's gone wrong.
Speaker 1: And the job of everyone making everyone happy falls so often to women.
Speaker 3: And a lot of us I'm sure a lot of listeners.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: We don't get along with our family all the time.
Speaker 1: So it's like this one time of year, we're all performing and if only we can make it this holiday great, then we can stay together. If I can make this one good enough, I can keep this family together. And that's something that I really internalized. I've recently come to realize that my need to make people happy is so strong, and it's so much a part of how I've defined myself for so long. I literally sometimes feel like I'm a comedian coming on stage after the last comedian who totally bombed, and I've got to like.
Speaker 3: Salvage this situation.
Speaker 1: And it's it's tiring, but it's to the point that I made twenty dollars. Somebody gave me twenty dollars at my dad's wake for being entertaining.
Speaker 4: Entertaining. Yeah, I'm best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm always seeing as the sarcastic, witty one. So I'll come in with a little bit of banter and then just sit quietly and hopes that no one brings up.
Speaker 4: Hold, that's my new family tradition.
Speaker 3: It's a good one.
Speaker 2: So we see this in so many holiday movies. The dad is working too hard, neglecting his kids, or his kids forgets to get the gift, burns the food, which sounds like this clause is one that's claus. Yeah, he realizes he has to put in some effort. Even if you look at Santa Claus. He gets all the credit for delivering these toys one day a year, but Missus Claus is doing all the stuff behind the scenes all the time, thanklessly, and gets no credit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in a Bad Mom's Christmas, in which one of the characters says, your mom, moms don't enjoy, we give joy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I find that there's only a handful of a much more Halloween horror movie.
Speaker 3: Person.
Speaker 1: Yes, there are a handful of holiday movies I watch every year, and I find that the plot line is always man working too hard, wife is doing all this stuff in the background and like, one day, you're gonna be so upset that you miss this time with whoever, poor Johnny.
Speaker 3: And then they do one they get like one gift.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's like, oh, it was the perfect gift.
Speaker 1: But a lot of times it was the wife who said you should have gotten that months ago.
Speaker 4: Right, it really is.
Speaker 2: I try to watch all of these holiday movies because I feel like I'm failing because I don't like Christmas and I've tried to make myself like it, and that has a lot of emotional trauma baggage and that, and which is the reason I don't like it. But I do love watching holiday movies trying to get into.
Speaker 4: The spirit and one of and my family watches it too.
Speaker 2: My dad's favorite movie is The Santa Claus Yeah, as we just recently talked about.
Speaker 1: But it is.
Speaker 2: Hilarious because he is an awful father, yeah, and the only redeeming thing is he gets tricked into being Santa Claus, who's then again neglects is good because he has to be Santa Claus. But everything's okay because he's Santa Claus. Like it's just amazing, And the mom looks like the bad guy just like in everything else. Yeah, step stepped out and this one is just a complete idiot portrayed as an idiot.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I also like that movie.
Speaker 1: But it is funny how it reminds me of There's this list called the Iceman List. It's about how, if you rewatch a lot of movies from the eighties, the bad guy is actually probably right right.
Speaker 3: And the mom in that.
Speaker 1: Movie, I feel if you had an ex who all of a sudden gained all this way and looked a certain way and was saying, well, the sun is saying the Santa Claus, I would have some concerns.
Speaker 3: Really, I think that's legitimate.
Speaker 2: He's not mentally stable. This is how he's trying to win my child over.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, now we're going on a different road. Be on the lookout for the Santa Claus, the Feminist Movie. Another thing I wanted to bring up is magazines, because I've noticed around this time magazines filled with recipes and life hacks to make it look like pulling off the holidays is so easy, so it's supposed to look effortless. And I've also found so many advice pieces and articles researching for this episode about how to fin all the holiday things that you need to fit in on top of a full time job with children in the mix, and make it look easy.
Speaker 3: And that's part of the equation too. Here.
Speaker 1: Not only are we putting in all of this hard work, we're acting like it's not hard work.
Speaker 3: We're hiding it away.
Speaker 1: And I feel like this is something as women were conditioned to not complain, to be graceful under pressure, Otherwise.
Speaker 3: You'll be the bad type of emotional. Right.
Speaker 2: You need to show that you have it all, and that means you've gotten all of your holiday the core.
Speaker 4: Yeah, perfect place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so many movies also about that, about putting up the usually I find it in movies men do that part then, but putting up the lights and competing.
Speaker 3: With your neighbors.
Speaker 1: So everything we're talking about in this episode is not just confined to the home. It can even ripple out to work and things like planning an office party or a secret Santa exchange, or for those in the retail or service industry, dealing with stressed out shoppers or diners or what have you.
Speaker 2: Right, women in general place really high expectations on themselves. We know this combined with the fact that for a lot of us we grew up watching our grandmothers and our mothers doing this holiday labor, and we feel the need to fill that role, which is.
Speaker 4: What you're seem to be doing, Andy, and I refuse to do.
Speaker 2: All of this can be exacerbated by things like seasonal effective disorder, anxiety or depression, And as I said, a lot of my own background is that I have a lot of trauma attached to this time of year.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, this is the worst holiday of the year and I hate.
Speaker 2: Everything, but I'm trying to get it together and become an adult.
Speaker 4: And being like I can handle Christmas, I can like it. My mother, God.
Speaker 2: Bless her, she has tried for years because I've never really liked it, and she tried for years from guilting me to trying to make everything perfect for me to get me to like this holiday because she loves it so much. And of course they are very religious, and that has a whole different perspective for them as well. But yeah, I think for me this type of year, I want to ignore it. And I couldn't imagine what that would be like as a mother. Sure that just that terrifies me. I'm like, I'm gonna fail as a mother if I ever did become one, because I don't enjoy these holidays. But I've been told as a single person, if you had kids, you would like this holiday more.
Speaker 4: You would understand.
Speaker 3: I can see.
Speaker 1: I can see how it's both extremely stressful but can be extremely rewarding to make a child feel that type of joy.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: There's when my siblings who are divorced competition and who can give the most or.
Speaker 4: Make them the happiest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right about that. That as well. It's poof, that's one word for it. We do have some advice.
Speaker 1: We try to end on advice usually, but vers we have one more quick break forward from our sponsor.
Speaker 3: And we're back. Thank you sponsor.
Speaker 1: And yes, there are some tips out there if the holidays are something that's stressful for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, here we go.
Speaker 2: So my people, we'll all stress stress out. So take time for self care and then that might be whatever you wanted to be reading, yoga, meditation, making time for friends, or for me sitting in a fiddle position in the corner waiting for the season.
Speaker 4: To go away in the darkness.
Speaker 3: Very specific.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, hey, you know it works for you.
Speaker 1: Experts also recommend stepping back from social media if you find yourself feeling stressed. We've talked about before. Playing that comparison game is never good. It can make you feel like everyone is having a better holiday than you.
Speaker 3: Everyone did a quote better job than you.
Speaker 4: Love the comparisons.
Speaker 2: If you're not the one behind the holiday stuff, find ways to support that person unasked. Stock up on wrapping supplies, help with gift buying and wrapping, handle.
Speaker 4: The cars through the dishes.
Speaker 2: If a child is in the mix, figure out if they're going to need to bring dishes to school or something like that. Coordinate with the extended family, and of course notice and express your gratitude.
Speaker 4: I mean, it is Christmas, tis the seasons.
Speaker 1: The season for that stuff. Yes, and again I do want to say I actually, really, really really love cooking. I love the decorations. I honestly think if I didn't do it one year, my brothers would not care. They wouldn't care at all except about the food. But like, the decorations is not their thing. But I really like it. But I don't like that expectation that I'm the one that will do it. Planning this big meal every Betty's favorite thing, although again I have started to cut back on that. Yeah, and some things have prepped days before. And also I work and they don't give us the day before Thanksgiving off getting all the ingredients, setting the table. It is a lot, but I have turned it into a time that I get to spend with my mom and we listen to music and we drink wine and we talk.
Speaker 3: And I like it. It's one of my favorite things.
Speaker 1: I think that's my favorite thing about the holidays, spending that time with my mom. It still sucks that if one year I decided I really didn't want to do it, it wouldn't happen, or either my mom would do it, and then I'd feel guilty about it. But my notorious hatred of doing the dishes has led to me not doing them anymore. My brother and his fiance do them, so that is it, Honestly is usually if I hate doing the dishes.
Speaker 4: Is he doing it because his fiance suggested it?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I have no way of knowing without.
Speaker 1: Asking, but I mean he in particular, he knows how much I hate doing the dishes because We've got a huge fight about it one year, So.
Speaker 3: I'm glad that that's gone away.
Speaker 1: And yeah, until we start recognizing and valuing the work women do, this is going to be a thing, right.
Speaker 2: And for those who have recognized, yes, that this is what women do and have taken up part of the responsibility, good job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, proud of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm proud of you women that were doing it all.
Speaker 4: Right, and yeah, speak up, encourage others, be an example.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and we would love to hear LGBTQ plus stories as well, because a lot of this was specifically heterosexual situation, so right, Yeah, love to know how it plays out in different types of relationships. But that brings us to the end of this, our emotional labor holiday.
Speaker 4: Happy holidays, Holidays.
Speaker 3: Hopefully they are not stressful.
Speaker 1: They're enjoyable and more than a freaking fourth of you can relax.
Speaker 3: That blew my mind. It makes sense.
Speaker 4: But wow, if you want to hide, you can hide with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you want any company, Samantha, I'm always available if you don't want me around.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 2: That weird thing that I start watching holiday movies, but they're not really holiday movies. So you know the fourth about die Hard, die Hard, you know, I hope we have to talk about that. But then Harry Potter for some reason puts Potter, it's.
Speaker 3: Both Halloween and Chriss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fine, yeah, I do that.
Speaker 2: And then I do watch horror movies just to be angry about not angry, but to put my emotions into something.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, there we go.
Speaker 2: Now I'm gonna do more destruction now with all of these horror films.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of Christmas harror movies. I'm just gonna put that out there.
Speaker 4: I haven't watched.
Speaker 1: I might be on a panel about that actually coming up. Somebody asked me, do you have any examples? Twenty examples? Okay, I think you might be good for this, all right. Anyway, I did want to read some listener mail to close up, Everett wrote, I was really excited to see the episode about farming in your podcast feed. I love the show, by the way, Oh thank you. I was excited because that's what I do. I'm still in school, but for a few weeks in the summer and on saturdays in the academic year, I work with the Food Project. We're based out of Massachusetts in the North Shore and Greater Boston. We do a lot of work related to the stuff you talked about, food justice and social justice, plus a youth component. A big part to me is how we bring people from across these communities and sure we have a diverse group. Every summer, we hire thirty six new high school aged people in both our regions for six weeks. They work together on our farms. They could be from a homogeneous sheltered community or a more urban one where gardening isn't common, or any other background, and we meet people that we wouldn't otherwise since the system doesn't tend to make communication between these places very easy. I love the Food Project and I love the people. I consider it like family. We educate communities and the youth in our programs, and there's lots of opportunities for leadership by youth. We build raisedbed gardens and urban communities that don't have a lot of access to fresh food, as well as distributing food at hunger relief organizations or through our farmer's market. We've done work with state programs to make farmer's markets more affordable too. I could genuinely keep talking for three hours, so I'll leave a link to our website if you're interested and that link is Thefoodproject dot org.
Speaker 3: That sounds like you're doing amazing work. Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, food justice is something that's really important to me. This sounds really cool and we appreciate you sharing it. Ruth wrote, I just listened to your Female Monsters show and I thought of a couple of characters who are tangentially related to the topic. Neither are truly monsters, but they fit the parameters of a couple of the topics mentioned. The first is a character whose name escapes me, but she was played by Isabella Russellini in the movie Death Becomes Herr.
Speaker 2: I've been thinking about this movie for so because I can't I was like, why haven't we mentioned it? And then there was then I thought it back. I was like, there are a lot of problems. Oh, I haven't seen it within that movie, and I think it's satire.
Speaker 4: It is shied as well.
Speaker 2: But this whole becoming young, staying youngest thing, beautiful saint, then like, this is very problematic, and of course it makes the male character the hero sure of all, the whole thing kind of makes the met look at bout.
Speaker 4: Yes, but it is a really good movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would have I mean a lot of the monsters we mentioned their ultimate goal was youth and beauty, and yes, that's why they did the things, the monstrous things they did.
Speaker 4: It's a perfect example.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll have to check it out.
Speaker 4: You haven't seen it?
Speaker 3: No, my, oh my, Okay. Anyway, Ruth continues.
Speaker 1: About that she is the character who gives two women played by Goldie Hawn and Meryl Streep, the power of immortality and eternal youth at a great price. Of course, while not strictly speaking a monster, she plays in the fears of becoming old and ugly, losing their beauty. She gives them an quote olixer to drink, and things do not work out as they expect. I imagine there was an unexpected moral in the story, But the evil beautiful which remains the second is more mundane. But it makes me stop and think about the naming of the character and the TV show cheers the most terrifying thing of all.
Speaker 3: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: Fraser's wife is named Alilith. She is considered cold and calculating. She is a psychiatrist and very good at scaring the crep out of all of Fraser's friends. She's very pale with very dark hair, played by the amazing bb Newarth.
Speaker 3: She's not a true villain, but she is.
Speaker 1: Portrayed in that light because she is different from other women, because she wants things her way, and because she's still beautiful. Is the naming of the character symbolic. I don't know, but it gives me pause to think about a couple of characters I had otherwise passed by. Oh also, there was a book written by an author named George MacDonald called Alilith, which was a novel about this evil woman from the Biblical story. She's quite a monster in that one. I love the lift yeah, forever and ever.
Speaker 2: And I didn't realize because I didn't watch the second season and I just didn't pay attention.
Speaker 4: Uh, Sabrina the new one, Yeah, Lilith is one.
Speaker 3: Of the main characters.
Speaker 2: And I kind of completely forgot it completely, And I was like, oh yeallo.
Speaker 3: A friend of mine brought that up to me.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, yeah, completely, like because I hadn't watched it in so long the first season and then I never watched the second and I just recently took it back up and I was like, oh, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I have got to say, I am loving all of these uh horror, and yeah.
Speaker 3: Please keep sending in suggestions.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, were gonna talk about this until next Halloween? I love it.
Speaker 1: I would absolutely do you know I would? And I always love a good recommendation for something to check out, right, So please keep sending those are away.
Speaker 2: Right, just so you know, because we did have the conversation about cuffing. We've had a couple of text talking to us about cuffing and other people other podcasts talking about it as well. As we got to mention when they were showing us a whole list of the seasons, and it shows like fall is cuffing season and this is what this is.
Speaker 4: It was really cute. I'll have to repost it, but I.
Speaker 3: Liked it a lot.
Speaker 2: While we're here, we want to do some shout outs while we were thinking about stress and loving each other, and so the season best Forever to Pods, which is a podcast by Alyssa who talks about friendships and the great stories behind them.
Speaker 4: And it's so great because I think it's such a.
Speaker 2: Different take on how to maintain or just talk about amazing friendships that have happened or she brings on different guests talking about different subjects, and then I think it's really cute. And also some kind of brown podcast, which is Natalie who identifies herself as indigenous black women, talks about race and ethnicity and being multi racial in the US, including interracial adoption which is rare, and she's also highlighted November I know it's over almost as the Native American Awareness Month, and she is brought in a whole series called Red November and bringing in different guests and having awesome, awesome, awesome episodes about that.
Speaker 4: So shout out to y'all. Yeah, we love it, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you, and thanks to the listeners who wrote in. If you would like to write to us, we would love to hear from you. You can email us at Stuffmedia, mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can also find us on Twitter at mom Stuff Podcast or on Instagram at stuff Mom Never Told You. Thanks as always to our super producer Andrew Howard.
Speaker 3: Thanks to you for listening, and we hope a lot more good things are coming away. That's Boren's thing. I don't know why I.
Speaker 1: Did it, but hey, go check out saber pods while go say.
Speaker 4: Up sab, brain stuff, all the things I love A lot.
Speaker 3: More good things are coming here, lesurely.
Speaker 2: I hope that the holidays are not as stressful, and if it is, that you have a chance to take in what you need to rest.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's a nice sentiment. Stuff Mom Never Told You is a protection of iHeartRadio's house. Stuff Works.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or
Speaker 3: Wherever where you listen to your favorite shows.