Speaker 1: And That's what You Really Missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's What Your Really miss Podcast. This is Season three, Episode seven, I Kissed a Girl controversial. A controversial episode, Kevin, the fans have spoken.
Speaker 2: Because you don't want to get on the bad side of Britanna fans.
Speaker 1: Never, no, no, no, the fans have spoken. Okay, we're gonna get into this. This is a kiss the Girl and this aired on November twenty nine, two thousand and eleven. Crazy, Yes, we are. We're almost as sectionals. Can you believe it?
Speaker 2: I'm so what's crazy is we're going from this episode, which is not the most favorite of Glee fans online, and then next episode is so good and loved and we have lots of core memories from that.
Speaker 1: So many.
Speaker 2: So let's carefully wade into the waters. I kissed a Girl. Less is more. The number one song was We Found Love Again?
Speaker 1: Okay, this is this is Twilight. Number one movie was Twilight Saga Breaking one. I have seen this. I think I've seen two number one movies in this entirety for the entirety of I know, right, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think we had a lot of time to be going to the movies. To be honest, we had I don't basically one and three quarters of a day off, you know, because you like go into Saturday morning Friturday and then you'd have Sunday was like your day, but then you had to get up early on Monday.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to the movie theater in that time, That's right. The only time I'm going to a movie theater is like a ten am Sunday matinee. It's my favorite.
Speaker 2: That's all. We could do.
Speaker 1: So quiet in the theater and nobody's there.
Speaker 2: You're on row, you get out and it's still light. It's so nice.
Speaker 1: My favorite.
Speaker 2: So some glean news of this week. On November twenty second, twenty eleven, the Karaoke Revolution Glee Volume three was released on the sinto we in Xbox three sixty. It had thirty four songs from the show second season and included a microphone for the players to say, who had this?
Speaker 1: Do you remember that they sent us whees with our pictures like plaster?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we didn't. They stopped after the first volume. We didn't get volume two and three. No, no, no, we only had this one.
Speaker 1: Who had this?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, well it's it sounds fun.
Speaker 2: If you played it, I hope you enjoyed yourselves, because we didn't play it.
Speaker 1: No, we did not. But this we were doing the real thing. The This was directed by Tate Donovan.
Speaker 2: It was and I really liked the directing.
Speaker 1: I noticed that, Yes, he did a very nice job with a lot of brands going on. This is written by our dear friend Matt Hodgson. And Matt was has made his way up in the world. He started as an assistant to Ryan Murphy and he's he was now he's now a writer on many writing Murphy shows and a dear friend of ours. So I had to have him here.
Speaker 2: Is this why he's gotten so much flack on Twitter? Is this episode?
Speaker 1: Why this episode? Perhaps, again we've said this before, he did not write this whole entire episode by himself. It is a collective and then contractually everybody gets an episode so they can get paid for their script. That's really all it is. In particular, it rotates, don't come for Hodson. He's a he's a sweet, sweet man. Oh the sweetest love Hodson. But he really got so much shit that you know, Yeah, it was like he was solely responsible for anything bad that happened to Santana. Oh no, absolutely not. That's not how it worked. We'll have to ask him when we see him. We're saying those soon. So okay. The songs in this episode, wow, wowow. Okay, it's eclectic, it is, but they're all but it's not yeah yeah, yes, ladies and music.
Speaker 2: So they're either part of the LGBT community or they're very vocal and art and supporters of the LGBT community. You have Perfect by Pink, I'm the Only One by Melissa Etheridge, Girls Just want to have Fun by Cindy Lapper, but it's the great Glasswell version. Jolene by Dolly Parton, I Kissed a Girl by Katie Perry, and Constant Craving by Katie Lange.
Speaker 1: I will say all the songs, Gamey, goose Bumps. The performances of the songs also looked real, really good, like in particular Joelene with the lighting in the election in the gymnasium. It was not your typical glee number looking number.
Speaker 2: But he was doing I think because there was not dancing happening. There wasn't a lot going on in some of these but even when there was even when the Troubletones did some dancing, I liked the way the handheld camera looked and how it was pushing into different characters and catching reactions or even the vocals, and I thought it was nice to see something as like simple as that, but it was still refreshing, something that felt like we haven't done or done a lot of.
Speaker 1: A lot of storytelling. And Tate is an actor, right, so I mean everybody's storytellers in the industry, but like Tate as an actor was very actor friendly. Obviously with Naya's whole performance, even despite the the lack of time that they had to really dive into the storyline, the moments he caught were you like Eric Stultz esk he always caught moments like you know, like in the Adel Mashup.
Speaker 2: I think every director comes in with their own perspective, whether they're an actor or not, right, But I think knowing that how important those reactions can be as an actor hoping that the camera's catching it, then I think, you know they're on the lookout for that because they know how that can really add to a story, even if it's not in the script.
Speaker 1: There's a lot that happens in this episode. There's arguably too much that happens in this episode.
Speaker 2: And also not enough.
Speaker 1: Agreed. It's funny though, because you think about you have twenty two episodes. There are some episodes that are truly just filler, right. They are transitional episodes to get to the next you know, climax or store, you know, huge peak, and for this one, it feels like there are sixteen peaks that have happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, the balance of this episode is range or there's a lack of balance, I would say, And I would also say, this is the culmination of a very important storyline, and then it the things that you might want to see as an audience, you don't necessarily see. You only get a little taste of other things. It's a well, that's what sounds like.
Speaker 1: The biggest uh problem that people had this episode was the lack let's let's let's dive in.
Speaker 2: So there's some fun facts about this episode.
Speaker 1: Oh let's go.
Speaker 2: This is the sixth episode to feature a song with the same title as the episode. Other ones were Home dreamond Silly Love Songs, Blame It on the Alcohol, and Born this Way. All great episodes so you know, six out of fairy seven or just five about a six ain't beat. It's the only episode of season three to not feature a performance in the auditorium.
Speaker 1: Wow, I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that also it goes with I don't know if it was scripted that way or not, but having to get inventive, but you don't have that the lighting and that room of the auditorium to play with sure, and to make the gymnasium or the choir room interesting each time when there's someone just standing there and singing, it's hard. And I think it was really successful this episode.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: In twenty twelve, Ryan Murphy uploaded a deleted scene where Santana actually comes out to the cheerios.
Speaker 1: We don't have a ton of deleted scenes, and we haven't seen most of those deleted scenes. I think this is maybe one of the only deleted scenes. He's actual scene that he's done this with. Yeah, it's a great scene, it is, but.
Speaker 2: It's also and moves as such a clip and maybe that's the maybe that was just the edit for to be able to upload it. But I was like, oh, this is happening very fast. It's like here's here it is and we're moving on.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe that's why they removed it. Yeah, Eric Stilt is one of the names present in Sue's Black Book of Booty Calls. So we had Todd Bridges, Vladimir Putin, Dan Quayle, Stephen Baldwin, Oliver North, Matt Lauer, Johnny Cochrane, David Boriana's I had a huge crush on you. An eclectic mix of people, and of course you're very own, Eric, still are very own, Eric Celts moving on the Santana coming out to her a Boila scene was written by Alie Adler, our friend and writer Unklee, and that was inspired by her own experience. However, Adler was not credited as a writer in this episode. But once again we I repeat myself that everybody contributed to every episode.
Speaker 2: Yes it was just a contract thing. Yes, just not always the case.
Speaker 1: But I find that most rooms big twenty two episode shows, there's a collective effort.
Speaker 2: That's so much time. That is forty four minutes times twenty two and nine to ten months like that is crazy. That is a lot of story and.
Speaker 1: Dial People need to go home and write a scene and come back and you put it all together. It is this team effort here.
Speaker 2: Also, I love this. The kitchen where Santana and Herbuela had their scene was also featured in the first season of American Horror Story as the kitchen of Constance Langdon.
Speaker 1: When she ate the brains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quite a different scene than this one.
Speaker 1: But we love it. We love them both.
Speaker 2: Very iconic recycle that set.
Speaker 1: Well, gotta this is the episode. In a short few sentences for the amount that is jam packed into this episode. Okay, So the race for McKenley High President comes to an end, Oh my god, and someone is a cot trying to fix the results. Who will it be? Meanwhile, Coach Beast gets up the nerve to challenge Sue Sylvester and things get a little complicated for Pucking Quinn and Shelby, and Santana dives deep into her sexuality. All happens in forty four minutes. A cute forty four minutes. Which one do we start with, Kevin?
Speaker 2: I think let's start with class president. Let's get some of these out of the way, because we have a lot to talk about with Santana, and so I'd like to just I like it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So of all all of the storylines within this. I was like, oh, wow, there's been a streamline thought that's been going on through I mean, the entirety of this season. So this is starting from episode one right of season three. Yeah, and that we've been talking about a class president and we are we've made it to episode seven. I am grateful for that. I am grateful that there is continuity. I am grateful is a streamline sometimes thought and character arc, something that's not brought up and then over in one episode exactly, thank you. So I appreciate this, and I also appreciate that it moves the pot along for sectionals as well.
Speaker 2: Right, and so for Niata it's also moving along, you know, next season. It's sort of getting them set.
Speaker 1: Up for that. So Kurt reveals to Rachel it's time to vote for senior class president, right, And Kurt reveals to Rachel that he doesn't think he's gonna win, so he is considering stuffing the ballot boxes. Rachel's looks concerned, very concerned for him. She knows that he really needs this in order to get into Nyada for his extracurriculars. But there's a turn of events, how cute was everybody voting.
Speaker 2: I love that, and I also was just reminded of when I was in high school and voting for these things. I love voting. I love a mock election, I love school election. And having everybody go into it also reminded me of drag Race. But everybody going to the little booths and shutting the curtain and voting was great. And I was also jealous. I wasn't really in it.
Speaker 1: That's kind of what my voting looks like for like real president too, totally. So I am very cute.
Speaker 2: I mean Jbi is back and is really I was like, oh, here he is getting in the business of everyone. And he shows up to Kurt and they shove him out of the way. Finn shows him out of the way so hard, and Kurt is full on just having a meltdown this entire time because it was also like a nice representation of like the state of the world. He's like, it's crazy that you work really hard for something and it comes down to the will basically of other people writing your name down or checking a box.
Speaker 1: And lack of control.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it changes his entire well, he thinks, you know, in high school, everything's a big deal. He thinks this is going to, you know, deter change his trajectory for the rest of his life.
Speaker 1: Which in theory I guess it is. So the stakes are so high for kids in high school and the college prep if you're lucky enough to be going to college, and it's just a lot of it is one of those things like the stakes are very high for this for high school students. So I appreciated the truth within it. But we're going to vote. Ironically, his dad is also being voted on for in Congress, but we'll get to that. Yeah, and Kirk gets called to the principal's office because Kurt won by how many one hundred and ninety votes, yes.
Speaker 2: Something that was disproportionate to how things were seeming on the ground.
Speaker 1: Well, how many seniors were also in the school itself, right, So they believe he stuffed the ballot boxes, and so they say, if they can prove it, he's going to get suspended.
Speaker 2: I had second hit. I was so anxious, that feeling of you know, you didn't do something wrong, and then he's being honest and truthful by saying, well, I did think about it, right, And then when Bert.
Speaker 1: I don't say that what are you talking to?
Speaker 2: Thought about it and they're like, oh, how are you gonna kick yourself out of this? And one of my favorite parts of the entire episode was when Kurt tells Rachel and Finn and he leaves and then Rachel turns around. He's like, I did it, loved.
Speaker 1: It, loved it. And then she ends up telling the truth to Figgins because it's going to expel her from performing in at Sectionals.
Speaker 2: So, Jenna, when you told me a couple episodes ago, and I said, are you going to get your moment to shine? Because you said you're hopeful now that some of the heavy hitters were in Trouble Tones, you might get your moment.
Speaker 1: This is what you actually forgotten. They're all gone, there's only there's only Tina left and Quinn. But Tina, Tina is left. She had to knock them all down.
Speaker 2: It's going to be the Tina and Quinn show.
Speaker 1: Oh so funny. I forgot about this. I didn't realize that this was the Sectionals.
Speaker 2: You knew it because.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, well, well, they're like, well, who's going to do it? Youa oh? And then if I went to Trouble Tones, which I really wanted. I would just be waving a rose back in the cord again because you've got Amber and Naya and Heather, so here I am.
Speaker 2: You know. The Troubletones also just seem like a lot of work because they have like real choreography as opposed to the new directions just sort of like.
Speaker 1: Walking in the line. Yeah, basically we couldn't even do that.
Speaker 2: That's the truth.
Speaker 1: We couldn't even stay in the street line.
Speaker 2: I think Zach and Brooke gave up on I sitting at diagonal like halfway through season one, did you.
Speaker 1: Like, just make a squiggly line, just stand in.
Speaker 2: Just get to where you want to go, make sure you can be seen by the camera.
Speaker 1: That's really funny. Okay, so Rachel's not gonna be able to perform, it's gonna be Teena's time to shine. We'll get there and and Brittany becomes class president.
Speaker 2: I like the little pins they were wearing for Brittany.
Speaker 1: It was really very cute.
Speaker 2: I did like that everyone's going into vote when Amber walks in there, and I feel like it was Amber and not sad. It's like I like that these are a secret out because yes, I don't want Santana knowing I didn't vote for her girlfriend. Basically, it's like, yeah, you don't want the wrath of the snakes. Oh my gosh, by the ways, we'll get there. Let's just mark that. The other election that's happening is for Congress between Sue and Bert, who's a writing candidate still, and Sue does some of very Sue like tactics, which are very well suited for politics, more so than her position as a cheer coach in high school. Her you know, little tricks and connivingness because that's the word definitely fit with this storyline and I really like it. But it sort of comes to just reaching halt here because for the time being, she basically recruits Shannon Beasts coach Beasts boy toy boyfriend want to be boyfriend as her lover. Her fake pulled a Tim Scott with his girlfriend, but you know, the opposite, and Beast catches them at bread Steaks together Sue and Cooter. I feel so crazy saying Cooter.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about the whole.
Speaker 2: And it's so sad because like, Beast was so nice, it was open and talk. Hearing Dots talk about this, I was just like, break my heart break my heart every time.
Speaker 1: Although let's pause for a second because we have to acknowledge the tur ducan I loved so hard. I forgot about this the tur ducan. I actually thought about this before I went to bed last Oh my god.
Speaker 2: The way that you coach beast some like the wackiest things to say and do and sprinkled in amongst like really just well, I guess she's sincere all the time.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what I love about best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so you have tra duckan mm hmm, yeah, there's anyway.
Speaker 1: I just don't need to notable.
Speaker 2: There was so much protein and meat mentioned in this episode that I had to stop eating. I was eating while I was watching this, like, I can't really, it was grossing loved it. I loved it, I think because I was full. And then you have about more food like I can't.
Speaker 1: Well, especially a turkey stucked and it duck since duck stuck whoop stuffed in a chicken?
Speaker 2: Okay, have you ever had a turduckan?
Speaker 1: No? Is that real? Yeah? What? Oh yeah, oh I thought eating made that up.
Speaker 2: No, that's a thing.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I've never had that would make me sick. No, I love poultry I also love poultry living, but I'm grateful for poultry when I eat it, and I am also grossed out by her Duckean, I know it sounds we have to keep going because this is crazy. I feel this episode is wild. Her her ploy to get to steal Cooder to then you know, kind of like soften her image. I guess doesn't work because Bert Hommel does win the election, Jojo, because she's got to go back to doing her her you know, other evil ways. She can't be, you know, wrapped up in politics, so we had to have her lose. And honestly, who wouldn't want Bert Hommell as her local representative? Oh Mike, Yeah, I mean, thank goodness, I want Michael mative totally, totally. But let's talk about Juline because that is the the song. Dot gets to say, what an iconic song to cover and what a beautiful job Tait and Dot did with this.
Speaker 2: And I got to say, as a performer, when you have these numbers where you're sort of walking with intention and you're not on a stage performing, I think it's really difficult to do that. It feels awkward. It feels like Will Ferrell and Taday and night. It's like, I don't know what to do with my hands?
Speaker 1: How do you go in space?
Speaker 2: Yes? And she sounds great. She performs it so beautifully.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, really superb.
Speaker 2: And I think it is so hard to take on a Dolly song.
Speaker 1: I mean, I remember her talking about this when she did it, and she was so stressed about it because it's such an iconic song and she loved it so much. And she did she did it wonderful justice and she was just telling the truth the whole time.
Speaker 2: Dot's got one speed and it's truth.
Speaker 1: That's right, it's right, that's so right. Well, that goes down as one of my favorite numbers of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so sweet. What you get? You know?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, Well, well, I'm glad that. Here's the thing, this episode is very controversial. I'm glad we are tying up some of these storylines though at least like class presidents tied up, elections tied up, we're about to tie up this. Well, I guess we're not quite there yet, but we better tie up this Shelby, Puck and Quinn storyline real soon.
Speaker 2: Wrap it up.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just gonna stop talking about it like it doesn't even exist.
Speaker 2: It's just.
Speaker 1: Something I don't know.
Speaker 2: Puck gets called out a class by Shelby. He goes to check on the baby because the baby fell, and he's like.
Speaker 1: It made me uncomfortable. That scene really made me uncomfortable. And I could imagine that Adina probably felt uncomfortable doing it because you just have to, like, you have to find comfort in an eighteen year old boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and i'se eighteen year old boys. I don't I don't think there's a lot of eighte year old boys listening to this podcast. I think, all right, well you never know.
Speaker 1: But I will say again, I'm the only one. I love Puck doing this number. I don't have a strong memory of this number being shot, but when I watched it, I was like, wow, this is really good. It sounds really good.
Speaker 2: Jenna. What I realized is you and I are fully not fixing our faces when we're watching people do these numbers.
Speaker 1: Well that's season three for you.
Speaker 2: We talked four, we're being us anytime they cut to either of us during these performances where it's a real reaction.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's nothing else for Tina and Aardy to do, so we may as well just give gift and Kevin.
Speaker 2: We're like, well, we're here and like, oh, I'm enjoying this one.
Speaker 1: We're like, oh, I'm shooting right now, we're working right clogging in Hmmm. I did like that number, though, I will say, as uncomfortable as this whole storyline is, I'm not I'm not for it.
Speaker 2: But I did also sort of enjoy Puck's read of Quinn when she tries to seduce him. Yes, and he's like no, no, no.
Speaker 1: This is touch you. So okay. Puck still is being very, very not inconspicuous about his feelings for Shelby.
Speaker 2: No, it's only a matter of time before somebody caught on.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah. And then Quinn is seducing Puck to make another perfect baby. It's weird. She's gone. It's off the rails for Quinn, I mean, and Quinn kind of is off the rails right now, but this is extra. She's being extra right.
Speaker 2: You know, say what you want about Glee not sticking to a story for that long. Quinn has been off the rails. Not for seven episodes and that's week.
Speaker 1: And even Puck calls it out. He said, you've been all for since you gave birth the rest since I knocked you up.
Speaker 2: Those new writers came in and they were like.
Speaker 1: Well, let's just call Spades bade, you know. Quinn, Oh, sweet Quinn, trying to make it work, Diana, Sweet Diana, just trying to make this storyline work, but I doesn't makes me really uncomfortable. Still I'm over it. Still don't love the storyline very much.
Speaker 2: But I will say however, it does make next episode's performance makes a lot more sense to me because she sings control partly, and finally I'm like, okay, mm hmm, now we're getting somewhere. There's a loss of control, a sense of control that she does not have in her own life. Let's go right, But like, it's just I feel like it's been so repetitive.
Speaker 1: Right, No, it has well, and finally Puck tells Quinn about them, so it's going to come to a head. Finally he couldn't keep it in any longer, you know.
Speaker 2: All right, let's begin, Let's go in chronological order.
Speaker 1: Start from the very big ka.
Speaker 2: Me Santana slaps Finn at the end of last episode. This episode opens up on Figgins trying to suspend Santana because there was violence and she says it was snakes. It wasn't me.
Speaker 1: There it is.
Speaker 2: She also has the slightest smirk when she says it because I think she also can't believe that this was written into the script. And Naia became the Snicks like in real life. That's why we have Snicks, Miss. I mean, she started Snicks, miss, and she was just the Snicks. So when she got a little crazy, the snicksme comes out.
Speaker 1: Everybody had an alter ego.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Snick's juice was real.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, they wrote it into the episode. Unbelievable, truly un that's when you're like, oh, they are writing real life, you know.
Speaker 2: Yes, because it's also like really good. It's hilarious and random and it's with the style of the show.
Speaker 1: But finns Figgins is gonna is saying she's going to be suspended and therefore we're not going to have section. She's not going to be able to perform the sexuals.
Speaker 2: Right, and Finn is like, light bulb, she didn't hit me.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: A stage slab mm hmm. And Shelby and Will like or what are you talking about? And here in lies sort of the biggest beginning, the beginning of the issue with this episode is that for the rest of the episode and they address it right and the scene following, Sama's like, I'm not beholden to you now because you did this seemingly nice thing to me because the only reason and she has to deal with this because he was calling her out in a public setting and outed her. And now let's turn into a thing that she now has to address and not in her own time, in her own way, but because she's forced to, right, And so now it's like, okay, well, fins behind the steering wheel of this thing where he doesn't face any sort of repercussions for outing her. M m like there's nothing and he's sort of the good guy because he saves her from getting suspended and then makes this whole lesson about ladies and music and everybody's sort of singing to Santana.
Speaker 1: And then she says thank you, yeah, and that feels.
Speaker 2: And it feels weird because.
Speaker 1: Out of time, Yeah, the man comes to save the woman, right.
Speaker 2: It's like the straight white man comes to save the woman.
Speaker 1: The poor gay Latino woman from her yeah yeah yeah and making her say star or say thank you, versus still being angry at him for what he did. I mean, it happened so fast, right, like the pra the whole thing. I think the other part of it is like her whole journey of coming out. They didn't We didn't see anything with Santana and Kurt, which Kurt has had experience with this. He's the one that we should be talking to, not Finn right.
Speaker 2: When he's sort of just like he has like a sentence, and then they go into the perfect duet, which seemed so well.
Speaker 1: We were all laughing because I remember Chris kind of giving us these crazy looks when the camera wasn't on his face, because we were all like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it didn't feel and if it didn't feel right to you watching it probably didn't feel right right us filming it. And it was like, why what is happening? And then she like comes in and a scene you know a little later, and it's like, so I came up to my parents. Everything's cool, Like wait to wait a second, well, where was that? Can we see that?
Speaker 1: Rewind?
Speaker 2: I want to meet her parents.
Speaker 1: We only in twenty two forty four minutes, but we could have spread this out over time, right, but we had to get there. I don't know why, but we had to get there sooner. I'm sure they had a reason for it, but.
Speaker 2: Especially because like you had like the really touching Allie scene that she wrote coming after Abuela, which was like complex, complicated and her Baila, you know, disowns her and like this really serious thing, and then the next the.
Speaker 1: Next scene, we're like okay about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like everything's fine, Like we're going to be okay, let's just pretend it didn't really happen, right.
Speaker 1: I think I think the issue with this episode, with this storyline in particular, is it's like things are just very washed over for very heavy subject matters that really resonate with the Santana and Britney fans and the LGBTQ and everybody, you know, like the audience that we have. It's I think in a way could potentially and I'm not speaking for anybody, but it could potentially feel like that it's that simple or it's that lightweight, right, It's it's not as heavy or as I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: No. I think also like the amount of time and Carrot took to get to this point for this character, and the amount of time and Carrot took during Kurt's storyline with this totally. There was no rushing of that, and there was a lot of thoughtful conversation on screen about it from different perspectives and different angles. And that's all so how I feel like it's been with Santana and Brittany, and then we get here and it's just like, well, Okay, it's done. We did it, and we're gonna sing some songs to her and that's going to like fix everything.
Speaker 1: But it's interesting because the behind the scenes, and maybe they were just sugarcoating it behind the scenes, both Corey and Maya spoke on this episode and they really liked working with each other and with the relationship that Fenn in Santana have had. So it's so interesting to hear their perspective on it and then see the way this has unraveled. Not that two truths can't exist at the same time. Yeah, I think that's exactly how it is. Because I think them as friends and as like actors and as characters, all that was really great. They're so good, they're so good together, and I think the idea of somebody if you took away the fact that he outed her and didn't really face any consequence from it. Right, if that didn't happen, and this was just like a friend trying to do a nice thing for somebody, that would be great, that'd be really good. Also if he was like, yeah, I did out you. The least I could do is get you to make sure you don't get suspended, and then like just sort of we're not even, but at least there's that for you. I think it's just like the I think because when we're filming it too, I don't think we realized that.
Speaker 2: Really. It was just like, oh, and it's coming from like the goodness of his heart, and that's what we were focusing on. But also we're not the audience, And so I think when you have the people that have gone through this or are going through this see it, and then that's the reaction, it's like, oh, okay, maybe we should listen to that. We can we can do better. Yeah, definitely, I think because like this show did you know, not to put too fin a point on it, but the show was so careful I think about out those storylines in general that when more than like, I think if this was another TV show and this this episode would have been monumental for another TV show, but.
Speaker 3: For Glee, we we had so many were well versed in doing LGBT storylines, right, and so you expect the consideration and care one the more in depth look at it that we.
Speaker 2: Were used to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean I've felt like it was jarring when she came in. Was just like I came up to my parents and it was they were okay with it, Like what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they could be, but yeah, I'd like to see it. No, sure, let's see it all. Yeah, I will say though, the girls want to just want to have fun. Aside from the storylines, the performance is very cool and I and it sounds really wonderful. You guys don't, and I thought Corey did a great job and his performance of it.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a very cool number.
Speaker 2: But are you just staring at Santana's.
Speaker 1: It's so funny to be faced that way. I was like, why is he facing towards Santana. I was like, oh, he's about to perform, that's why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I only just turned two harmonies towards the end. Yeah, I think Tane.
Speaker 1: Wanted to get the shot. He wanted to get the shot of the side profile of Naya and the front of you and the side of Finn. It was a moment I.
Speaker 2: Do And now that you said that, I do remember sitting there being like, we wouldn't normally do this, but you just sort of go with the director like, well, it's not my call, yeah, because it felt so unnatural.
Speaker 1: But then when you got that shot, I was like, oh, I like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Like, Okay, I see your vision. That's why I worn't a stupid actor. Yeh, yeah, yeah, I thought I Kissed a Girl was great as well.
Speaker 1: That was a fun number to shoot. We had so much fun. We don't normally get to do a number that with all the girls like that, so that was actually a really fun number to do. I enjoy I loved it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was really really good.
Speaker 1: I remember you you loving it. We were, yes, of course you were always the girls never fan.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. That choreography was just it's like, oh, they gave Zach and Brooke needed a break because they're choreographing for Sectionals next episode, and so this is like the one number for this episode and really gave it to us. Yeah, really loved it. It's fun, really fun. I want to talk about constant craving Oh.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, because good Lord, so underrated, so underrated. I forgot it existed because she got up to sing, I'm like, what is she about to sing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, yep, yep. And then I was like, oh right.
Speaker 2: But and then it comes in.
Speaker 1: It's so like what I want to listen to that. I want to listen to that edit, that whole the big edit.
Speaker 2: For the crazy ship, that having this episode constant craving man, and then to.
Speaker 1: Have Rachel come in crying after and to drop that bomb, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, this is great, yes, and it's strong here.
Speaker 1: For the lack thereof like the end of the episode was like, let's get.
Speaker 2: Into section and talking speaking of positives. I do think her coming out scene is great, beautiful, and they were both very I think Ali wrote an incredible scene.
Speaker 1: Very hard scene too, actually hard too.
Speaker 2: And it's also a different take on approach mm hmm. Santana is different from Kurt, obviously, Santanna's different from Brittany, comes to a different family and seeing how this sort of like hard figure plays that just looks so different than how any other character on the show might do that, and it was really just like a masterclass to watch.
Speaker 1: I think. Yeah, I mean the quote when when she says, I've tried so hard to push this feeling away and keep it locked inside, but every day just feels like a war. I walk around so mad at the world, but I'm really just fighting with myself. I don't want to fight anymore. I'm just too tired. Like WHOA so good, really beautiful, really really beautiful. Okay, So I think that's where we have to cap this episode because some lose some Yeah, yeah, I will say though over again, we are we are aware of the you know, the the lack of care, tender TSC. But Nia's performance woe.
Speaker 2: I mean everybody, I think it is really in like some type of beautiful stride right now.
Speaker 1: Very locked in, very locked in. Should we do something? Hearty takes yes, cringe moments, ouchies, Paris is Ouchi's I think I think my auchi is still well. Obviously we still have the the Puck and Shelby auchie, and then obviously also the ouchie of how Santana's storyline was handled.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Yeah, there's also the Rocky player calling the girls lesbos oh my God, which in terms of things that people haven't called on the show, it seems.
Speaker 1: Pretty yeah right, I was like, no, Yeah, best dance move, I mean I kissed a girl, right, obviously, everybody so good, funny, the best song Constant Craven Joline, girls just want to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those three in any sort of not in any particular order.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love the music episode. Uh performance by Prop Kevin.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, Jenna, that's Ada. I mean, it kind of has to be the Traducan.
Speaker 1: It has to be the Traducan.
Speaker 2: I did like the fistfuls of ballots Rachel was stuffing into this funny ballot box. But I think the tra Ducan might take it.
Speaker 1: The tru Dacan takes it. That's mine.
Speaker 2: I'm I mean, we mentioned it, but Santana says, when I get really pissed off, Santana gets taken over by my other evil personality. I call her Snacks. Her wrath of words is called Snake's juice. I'm kind of like the Incredible Hulk. You can't blame you or anything where the Snakes does.
Speaker 1: It's true, It's it's true. Oh, and the performance MVP I'm going to give Naya the MVP with an honorable mention for dot.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. I think while this Santana's storyline is sort of the main focus, it's going to be hard to beat Naya always.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: What happens next week with Rachel out of sectionals.
Speaker 1: She's hanging, she's chilling in the audience. Okay, she's killing in the audience. It does feel really weird, and we got trouble tones, we got direction, we got Tina's time to shine.
Speaker 2: So shit we found on TikTok because the new Hunger Games movie came out recently. It is a Hunger Games reference and oh my god, it is a young Snow And they said, do you know who this MF looks like? Loki looks like.
Speaker 1: And sisters and they're very similar. No, they're not wrong. This is great and they're both in red. Yes, hair, I wonder if this was a vision board the.
Speaker 2: Scow on their face. I mean, hey, Emma Jeen posted this on TikTok. It is and it's big. It has one point two million likes because you know, when it's true, it's true, and it resonates with people.
Speaker 1: Very funny, very very funny.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, somebody said he is definitely a descendant of Sylvester. Jane Lynch was actually the first choice to play Cornelius.
Speaker 1: So good, it's so good. I love it.
Speaker 2: Okay, next week, Jenna, mm hmmm. We have hold on sixteen, which is sectionals.
Speaker 1: This is important.
Speaker 2: It is because quart Overstreets back.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Oh finally it's a monumental episode. There was so much good music, so much good music. I don't even want to think about it. I just want to watch it, do you know what I mean. I don't want to know anything about it.
Speaker 1: I just want to watch it. I want to go on not knowing what this show is about.
Speaker 2: I'm excited for all of you. If you're watching along with us, if you're just listening, tell us your thoughts about it, because I cannot wait. And it was also a last to do. It was I think you can see the joy on all of us when we do it. But okay, I won't start talking about now.
Speaker 1: That's next week and a very Mary Snicks miss to you all. We have just launched the fourth annual Snicks Miss Charity Drive event in honor of our dear friend Ia Rivera of course and benefiting alex Andrea House, a charity that Nya loved and worked very closely with. This year was very special. What did we do, Kevin?
Speaker 2: We tracked down the writers and producers and got permission and we put out a unreleased Naya song that she recorded in twenty twelve as part of her personal solo project and it never came out, called Prayer for the Broken. So there are two ways to actually contribute this year to Alexandria House. You can go stream, download, or preferably buy the song and all the proceeds go to Alexandria House. Do that, and or go to Alexandria House dot org, slash snicks MISS twenty twenty three that sticks MISS with two x's, and you can donate whatever you feel comfortable donating, and just want to let you know that one dollar, two dollars, twenty dollars, two hundred dollars. It adds up and it makes a huge difference. Our first year doing this, the average donation was between five to ten dollars, and we ended up raising almost one hundred and twenty thousand dollars. So do what you can. Be greatly appreciated. Go listen to the song, tell your friends, tell your family and have a happy Mary Snakes miss Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.